This course covers the crucial steps of domestic infant adoption, including the home study, locating expectant parents, validating the social medical history form, as well as preparing the hospital plan and post-adoption steps. We cover the total costs, timelines as well as crucial factors post-adoption.
Experts you'll learn from
What you'll learn
In this course we cover the costs for domestic infant adoption, as well as the timelines, crucial steps and major decisions to be weighed. We also focus on post-adoption aspects namely levels of openness with birth parents, coping with microaggressions and how this process can look for single and LGBTQ adoptive parents. Finally, we take a high-level look at the process of intercountry adoption.
Course Syllabus7 Lessons1h 42m
- Lesson 1 (5 min)Brief Introduction to Adoption and FosteringIn this lesson we'll cover:
- Lesson 2 (10 min)The Basics of Domestic Adoption
- Lesson 3 (40 min)The Domestic Adoption ProcessIn this lesson we'll cover:
- Getting Started
- Establish Preferences for the Adoption Arrangement
- Select a Path and Partner
- Becoming Eligible to Adopt
- Creating a Book or Website
- Locating Expectant Parents
- Matching and Due Diligence
- Verification of Pregnancy and Social Medical History
- Build Relationship
- Arrange for Legal and Emotional Counseling
- Ensure State Laws Are Followed
- Hospital Plan
- Sign Relinquishment Documents
- Obtain Court Order of Adoption
- Lesson 4 (17 min)Openness and Adoption
- Lesson 5 (10 min)Microaggressions and Transracial Adoption
- Lesson 6 (10 min)Domestic Adoption for Single and LGBTQ Parents
- Lesson 7 (10 min)International or Intercountry Adoption 101
Other courses you might like
You took sex ed, but now you need to understand fertility. Data to answer your questions about natural conception and diagnosing what might be wrong.
This is a course for those with a uterus who may identify as lesbian, bisexual, queer or otherwise partnered with someone of the same sex. We cover issues like selecting a sperm donor, doing an at-home insemination, or working with a fertility doctor for IUI, IVF, or using reciprocal IVF together with a partner.
The most complex fertility treatment, this course will help you do it right the first time.
Introducing the major decisions a gay couple or single man may face in order to become fathers. Tips on finding a clinic, selecting an egg donor & gestational carrier (surrogate), pros and cons of twins, and costs involved. See an overview of adoption & foster care for gay and single dads.
In this course, we'll cover the steps to starting the foster parenting process, how to help children who've suffered emotional and physical trauma, how to navigate transracial challenges, what the process looks like for single and LGBTQ individuals, and the process of adopting through the foster care system.