1550 S. Alma School Rd
480-413-2229
9819 North 95th Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
480-874-2229

My dosages were adjusted [by Dr. Kummer] based on monitoring. I then used a Lupron trigger instead of an HCG trigger in order to prevent OHSS. I ended up having 8 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, and 4 made it to the blastocyst stage...never ever treated us like a number. Every time we saw her, she took her time, got to know us as people (not just patients), and truly cared about us. In addition, all care was personalized to us, not just a standard "we will do this".
We did PGS testing [at Advanced Fertility Care] and 3 were normal. The cycle was a freeze all. Approximately 6 weeks after IVF we did a frozen embryo transfer with one embryo...The whole staff, including all nurses, assistants, and secretaries, at the clinic was amazing! Sandy, the IVF coordinator, was so sweet. I called her multiple times after hours and she never ever sounded frustrated with my questions...Our IVF cycle with PGS and ICSI was approximately $16,525.
How was your experience with Nicole Kummer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
We met with Dr. Kummer after switching from another local clinic that was unwilling to do the same protocol with us that was successful with our son 3 years earlier. From the moment she started talking with us, my husband and I knew that we had found the perfect fit for us to continue our journey. Since we already knew our diagnosis, we moved straight to an IUI. Dr. Kummer made it pretty clear that because of my diagnosis, an IUI with oral medications would be our best option, not using injectables. After a failed IUI, not at all her fault, I sat down with Dr. Kummer, and we decided that IVF was our best option. Continuing to do IUIs did not make much sense to us financially. However, Dr. Kummer NEVER pushed us to IVF. I'm so grateful for that. Moving to IVF is a large decision, and I'm happy we came to that on our own with her support. We had some bumps during our IVF cycle, and Dr. Kummer was so great at communicating with me and helping me to be less anxious. She understood my anxieties and didn't make me feel like I was stupid or irrational, instead just took the time to reassure and show compassion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Kummer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Ask her any questions that you have! She will not hide stuff from you and won't judge you. She is great at explaining and taking time to discuss everything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Kummer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Dr. Kummer never ever treated us like a number. Every time we saw her, she took her time, got to know us as people (not just patients), and truly cared about us. In addition, all care was personalized to us, not just a standard "we will do this". She was honest with us about what she thought would get us the best results, and also cared about our feelings. She is truly a gem in the fertility world!
Describe the protocols Nicole Kummer used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona and their degree of success.
My IUI cycle was 5 mg days 5-9, then monitored, and using stair step method with 5mg for five more days. Resulted in only one follicle. Negative pregnancy test. My IVF cycle was a mix of Gonal-F, Menopur, and Ganirelix. My dosages were adjusted based on monitoring. I then used a Lupron trigger instead of an HCG trigger in order to prevent OHSS. I ended up having 8 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, and 4 made it to the blastocyst stage. We did PGS testing and 3 were normal. The cycle was a freeze all. Approximately 6 weeks after IVF we did a frozen embryo transfer with one embryo. For this, I started with estrogen patches, then added estrogen pills based on my blood work. 5 days before transfer, we started progesterone in oil injections. Medicine is then continued until week 10. The transfer was successful!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
The whole staff, including all nurses, assistants, and secretaries, at the clinic was amazing! Sandy, the IVF coordinator, was so sweet. I called her multiple times after hours and she never ever sounded frustrated with my questions. She also had to do a lot of reassuring for me! The other nurses and staff were SO great, too. They were always happy and outgoing when they saw me and would help to comfort me after some tough ultrasounds. It truly felt like family. I wish I could go there for my whole pregnancy!
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
A huge strength to this clinic is that you see a doctor at EVERY visit! This is not typical, but is SO important to me and my husband. A doctor performs every ultrasound and is able to tell you what they are thinking right then. In addition, it really makes you feel that they care about you more instead of just being a number. I really can't think of any weaknesses. There are three doctors at the clinic, and you will likely see them all. Dr. Kummer and Dr. Larsen are a bit more specific and compassionate in their explanations. They take a lot of time with you. My experience with Dr. Z was that he was more blunt and not as descriptive, often causing me more anxiety than needed. Once you see all three, try to schedule around your preferred provider(s).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Kummer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Our IVF cycle with PGS and ICSI was approximately $16,525.
Describe Nicole Kummer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Advanced Fertility Care doctor strongly encourage, but do not mandate, an eSET.
Nicole Kummer
Scottsdale
The first time we met with Dr.Z [Zoneraich] he had read our information we had sent from our previous RE but he asked us for our insight and perspective of what had happened at our previous treatments. He then asked what were our intentions and timeline for our treatment...he spent about an hour and a half with us explaining everything about testing he recommended we have done and his projected plan of treatment depending on the different outcomes of our testing. He drew diagrams and made checkoff lists for us to keep and for us to be able to refer back to after the meeting...
The office [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] helps you search through about 20+ pharmacies they have on file to help you find the cheapest price for your medications... I did not have to wait a day to get my results...All testing and lab work is done at the clinic...between $10,000-$15,000 not including the medications because of the PGS testing and the ICSI...They [nurses] helped with education and questions concerning medications
How was your experience with Nathaniel Zoneraich at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
The first time we met with Dr.Z he had read our information we had sent from our previous RE but he asked us for our insight and perspective of what had happened at our previous treatments. He then asked what were our intentions and timeline for our treatment. We told him our discouragement from our previous RE and that we were there to have a baby as soon as possible. In our first appointment he spent about an hour and a half with us explaining everything about testing he recommended we have done and his projected plan of treatment depending on the different outcomes of our testing. He drew diagrams and made checkoff lists for us to keep and for us to be able to refer back to after the meeting. He answered every question we had and some we hadn’t even thought of to ask. He set us up to speak with the financial advisor based off of our concerns about when we needed to pay for each part of the treatments. At every encounter with him he was happy and personable. He would always sincerely ask how you were doing. He would remember minor details about your life and things you were going through from conversations that had nothing to do with your infertility. The next time he would see us he would ask us about things. Like how did that meeting with work go, how was your trip to see your family, or did you guys decide on what kind of puppy you want to get. He was always professional when doing any testing or exams but always had a smile and a caring concern every time he saw us. If we were there for bloodwork he would pop his head into the blood draw lab and say hello and ask how we were doing. You can tell that he knows his specialty and that he really wants to help his patients.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nathaniel Zoneraich at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
If you are ready to start a family as soon as possible go to Dr.Z Make sure you take all of your previous treatment records for him to be able to review. If something can be done to help you have a child, he will do everything he can to help you. He will be straight with you and will not give you false hope either.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nathaniel Zoneraich at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Everyone at Dr.Z office was friendly and kind. They would always ask you how you were doing and would remember things about you that had nothing to do with your infertility journey. For example, if the last time you were there you had mentioned you were going on a trip to see an old friend. The next time you were in the office someone would ask you how your trip was. Dr. Z is very personable and I feel he adapts his way of responding to you depending on your needs at that time.
Describe the protocols Nathaniel Zoneraich used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona and their degree of success.
Even though we had diagnostic testing at a previous clinic, Dr Z. Wanted to do testing of his own and he wanted to perform more thorough testing that our previous RE had not done. He then laid out our treatment plan. He believes in supplements for three months before starting Stems. He prescribed Gonal F and I forget the other medicine he had me on. The office helps you search through about 20+ pharmacies they have on file to help you find the cheapest price for your medications. Throughout my stems I had bloodwork and ultrasounds. I would go into the clinic first thing in the morning and by 2 or 3 in the afternoon the office would call me and tell me how to adjust my medication. I did not have to wait a day to get my results. During my Stems my medication dosages changed 5-6 times.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Everyone was very personable and informative. Everyone would always have a smile on their face. They helped with education and questions concerning medications. They helped with finding the best pharmacy for specific medications that were prescribed. They helped with insurance questions and issues. They helped me with FMLA paperwork (my works company is the worst for multiple forms for FMLA) The nurses had to send in paperwork 4 different times to our company and had to speak with them on the phone multiple times.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
All testing and lab work is done at the clinic. I consider this a strength but some may not like that it is all in one. Dr. Z has you sign paperwork in the beginning that acknowledges that he is disclosing the fact that he has partial ownership of the on site surgical center where your retrieval and transfer are done and he has partial ownership in the lab that does all your lab work and testing. It did not bother me that he has partial ownership but some might be concerned by this fact. I just found that by having it all in his office it allowed me to get test results back faster and it allowed Dr.Z to more closely monitor and adjust my medications. Everyone is very efficient and everything works on a strict timed out schedule. Everything runs on time and never late.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nathaniel Zoneraich at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Cost all depended on what testing and procedures you required to have. If you chose to do PGS testing and ICSI. We chose to do all the testing and ICSI. It was between $10,000-$15,000 not including the medications because of the PGS testing and the ICSI and because of the number of embryos we had that survived to day 5
Describe Nathaniel Zoneraich's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Dr. Z highly recommends a single embryo transfer for everyone who has PGS tested embryos. However you can choose to transfer two embryos.
Scottsdale

[Dr. Zoneraich] encourages eSET for PGS embryos and even has a packet with a story of a patient who begged him to transfer 2 PGS embryos and she ended up with triplets and it was a rough go for her (her words) in the beginning...personally called me with my pregnancy results and would always call back within the hour if he was on call and I needed anything after hours. He outlined a very personalized plan for me that ended up turning out exactly how he predicted.
I had a subchorionic hemorrhage and bled every week until I was 18 weeks pregnant. Sandy [nurse at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] was always available to discuss this and made me feel better without over-exaggerating that things would turn out ok...Everything is cutting edge and perfectly coordinated. Even though I am an RN, the injection teaching was very helpful and the staff made sure to go over everything with me and were all always very professional. Costs were always discussed ahead of time and were never a surprise.
I feel Dr. Z is extremely up-to-date with effective IVF protocols and does not waste your time or money with extra “fluff” that hasn’t been proven to work. As an RN myself who works in an area that encounters other women who have gone through IVF with other doctors, I really felt that Dr. Z and his protocol was very personalized and evidence-based. He did give me 3 options at the start and I initially was going to do IUI but I had 5 mature follicles and I was scared to chance the risk of multiples. I was also surprised that I had that many follicles with my diagnosis of probably early diminished ovarian reserve. I was scared that I wouldn’t produce enough follicles. When I decided to do IVF because I felt like Inhadnmore control, I was astonished to have at least 10 mature follicles for each ovary during my scan. I asked how this was possible with my low AMH but they said they would rather see me have a high AFC with an low AMH than a normal AMH and a low AFC. My AMH was 1.15 at age 34. At my egg retrieval I ended up with 24 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 14 fertilized (conventional), 6 made it to day 6 and 3 were normal via PGS. We transferred one embryo and are blessed with a beautiful baby girl.
Have faith in the process and do everything in your power to follow the protocol exactly.
Dr. Z personally called me with my pregnancy results and would always call back within the hour if he was on call and I needed anything after hours. He outlined a very personalized plan for me that ended up turning out exactly how he predicted.
I don’t specifically remember but I know I used birth control, lupron, Menopur, Gonal-F, Pregnyl trigger, estrogen patches, PIO injections and progesterone suppositories. I also used a prenatal vitamin, aspirin 81 mg and abstained from all caffeine until my second trimester.
I had a subchorionic hemorrhage and bled every week until I was 18 weeks pregnant. Sandy was always available to discuss this and made me feel better without over-exaggerating that things would turn out ok.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Insurance at the time covered $5000 of any fertility treatment and I paid around $14,000 for my IVF cycle (some of that was included in the $5k because all I did prior was Clomid and monitoring because I decided not to do IUi). My medications were around $5000.
Dr. Z encourages eSET for PGS embryos and even has a packet with a story of a patient who begged him to transfer 2 PGS embryos and she ended up with triplets and it was a rough go for her (her words) in the beginning.
Mesa

I wanted to try a few cycles of IUI, and while Dr. Larsen was honest about the relatively low statistical success rate, I never felt pressured to move right into IVF...I never felt rushed or dismissed...No success with IUI but felt Dr. Larsen tailored his approach to my individual needs... recommended eSET for me, especially because I have a thinner lining, which would have a harder time supporting multiple embryos.
Advanced Fertility Care has two offices- one in Mesa and one in Scottsdale. You may have to be a little flexible at times as to the location depending on the days you need to be seen. But I've never had a problem getting an appointment when needed... nice to see familiar faces at each visit to the office...Each IUI cycle was about $1,000...IVF was quoted at almost $15k and about $4k for medications...
How was your experience with Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
My husband and I met with Dr. Larsen due to unexplained infertility. He clearly explained our options and cited research studies and statistics. I wanted to try a few cycles of IUI, and while Dr. Larsen was honest about the relatively low statistical success rate, I never felt pressured to move right into IVF. I completed three back to back cycles of IUI treatments and Dr. Larsen was always willing to answer my many questions. I never felt rushed or dismissed. I appreciate his knowledge and caring nature and plan to begin IVF as soon as procedures can be resumed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Hold your pee before an IUI... it makes the procedure much easier!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
I felt treated as a human because I felt heard and he was more than willing to answer my questions. He called me directly when treatments had to be postponed due to COVID.
Describe the protocols Frederick Larsen used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona and their degree of success.
My first IUI cycle consisted of 100mg Clomid. Good follicle response but lining was thin. Dr. Larsen explained this occurs for some women on Clomid so for the 2nd IUI cycle he switched the medication to Femara and started me on estrogen suppositories to help thicken the lining. This only helped thicken the lining a little. For the 3rd cycle, Dr. Larsen changed up the start day of the Femara and continued with the estrogen. Progesterone suppositories were prescribed the day after each IUI procedure and continued until pregnancy test. He assured me that my thinner lining should not necessarily prevent a pregnancy. No success with IUI but felt Dr. Larsen tailored his approach to my individual needs.
The nursing staff are wonderful! They are responsive, patient, organized, and very knowledgeable. I always felt comfortable and it was nice to see familiar faces at each visit to the office.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Each IUI cycle was about $1,000. A little more for the first cycle which included some diagnostic testing. Upcoming IVF was quoted at almost $15k and about $4k for medications.
Describe Frederick Larsen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Dr. Larsen educated me on the risks of multiple embryo transfers. He recommended eSET for me, especially because I have a thinner lining, which would have a harder time supporting multiple embryos. This makes sense and I will follow his recommendation.
Mesa

Dr Larsen always gave us the validation that no question was too small, too unimportant, or too stupid....We started with unmedicated IUI's as I had no pre-existing issues that we knew about. After 2 failed cycles, I had an HSG to check my fallopian tubes and found a filling defect in my uterus. Dr Larsen performed a sonohistogram the following week and saw several polyps or fibroids in my uterus. He was very honest and candid with his recommendation to proceed with a hysteroscopy to remove them, as he felt this could be why I had not gotten pregnant yet. After the hysteroscopy I wanted to try 1 more unmedicated cycle, which he agreed was perfectly reasonable. That IUI resulted in a pregnancy, but unfortunately ended in a missed miscarriage. As I explained above, his care an
The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] feels very strongly that eSET is a safer and more effective approach than multiple embryo transfers...The strength of AFC is definitely how they treat their patients. Everyone greets you with a smile and calls you by name. My spouse and I felt so supported and encouraged by the receptionists and nurses, and we really felt that they were rooting for us to get pregnant...Each visit, I was always greeted by first name and recognized as a returning client. At no point did I have to retell details or "my story" as Dr. Larson always was up to date with my most current statues. Specifically, when I ended up in the hospital with a ruptured ectopic pregnancy Dr. Larson checked in on both myself and my spouse several times to see how we were doing, which was on a weekend, during his time off.
Dr. Larsen approached me as a patient but made me feel as though I was a family member, always having my best interest at heart. While he always shared both risks and benefits, his knowledge and talent put me at ease with every decision I made. At no point did Dr. Larsen make me feel forced into a decision; he showed support and empathy during all of our interactions. When I experienced my miscarriage, Dr. Larsen showed an incredible amount of empathy, reminding me over and over that it was nothing I did wrong. After he discovered the baby had no heartbeat and it would not be a viable pregnancy, Dr. Larsen said to take as much time as I needed in the room but then wanted to meet with myself and my spouse before I left. Being able to talk with him right after such tragic news was comforting to myself and my spouse. He went above and beyond to check on me while I miscarried at home from a physical, emotional and mental perspective. While having a miscarriage is a lonely experience, I felt Dr. Larsen was always available for any questions or concerns I had.
Don't be afraid to ask anything! Even the questions that seem unimportant or that you feel you should already know the answer to, Dr Larsen always gave us the validation that no question was too small, too unimportant, or too stupid.
We started with unmedicated IUI's as I had no pre-existing issues that we knew about. After 2 failed cycles, I had an HSG to check my fallopian tubes and found a filling defect in my uterus. Dr Larsen performed a sonohistogram the following week and saw several polyps or fibroids in my uterus. He was very honest and candid with his recommendation to proceed with a hysteroscopy to remove them, as he felt this could be why I had not gotten pregnant yet. After the hysteroscopy I wanted to try 1 more unmedicated cycle, which he agreed was perfectly reasonable. That IUI resulted in a pregnancy, but unfortunately ended in a missed miscarriage. As I explained above, his care and compassion throughout that process was incredible. My spouse and I felt so supported. Once healed emotionally and physically, we did 3 medicated IUI cycles with Clomid. Dr Larsen adjusted the Clomid dose appropriately each time to target the recommended number of follicles. After each failed cyle I would return more discouraged than before, but he always remained honest and optimistic. After those failed cycles I asked him if it was worth checking for polyps again, and he agreed that while they usually wait 9 months to a year to check, there were no other clear reasons why I was not getting pregnant so he felt it was a good idea. Sure enough, I had more polyps, and Dr Larsen performed my second hysteroscopy. This was in December, and he was so mindful of finances and a huge advocate for getting me in before the end of the year before my deductible and out-of-pocket started over. Our 7th IUI after that was another Clomid cycle that resulted in a positive pregnancy, but ended as a ruptured ectopic pregnancy at 5 weeks. We did a follow-up visit with him a few weeks later, where he gave us his opinion that IVF should be our next step. Knowing that the cost and process of IVF was a known fear of mine, he did not push us AT ALL to make that decision, and even said that he would agree to one or two more IUI's if that's what we wanted to do. Because of our trust in Dr Larsen and the clinic, we are looking forward to confidently moving forward with IVF in the next few weeks.
AFC is very unique in that you see a doctor at every single visit, and they are the ones performing all ultrasounds and any other procedures. With that said, the nurses were always friendly, helpful, and remembered us each time. Whenever I called with a question for the clinical staff, they would always check with the doctor to make sure what they were telling me was correct.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic feels very strongly that eSET is a safer and more effective approach than multiple embryo transfers.
Scottsdale
the protocols were pretty standard [with Dr. Frederick Larsen]. They checked in on our progress every other day and changed any necessary doses or medications. Both the retrieval and transfer were successful and I think that's because our doctor knew what he was doing...listened to every concern and always answered our questions thoroughly, unlike the other doctors in the clinic. He was patient and we could tell he genuinely cared about the outcome. He was invested in our success like a family member.
Our doctor [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] was opposed to transferring two due to an increased chance of complications. However, we were adamant about transferring two. He reviewed all of the dangers with us, but respected our decision and allowed us to do so...They were more costly than the first clinic we tried, but it was worth every penny. They saw us so often and did so much that it didn't feel like a waste.
Dr. Larsen listened to every concern and always answered our questions thoroughly, unlike the other doctors in the clinic. He was patient and we could tell he genuinely cared about the outcome. He was invested in our success like a family member.
Be your own advocate. If there's something you don't agree with or understand, bring it to their attention! They'll accommodate you.
Most of the time, I felt like the clinic staff knew me and treated me really well. Occasionally, I would have to see another doctor. When it came to retrieval and transfer, they clumped all the patients together for dates and that's when it felt like we were a number.
I can't remember all the specifics but the protocols were pretty standard. They checked in on our progress every other day and changed any necessary doses or medications. Both the retrieval and transfer were successful and I think that's because our doctor knew what he was doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona. (Assigned nurse: Gabrielle)
Everyone was very kind and welcoming. They always acted professionally and many knew my name by the end of our treatment.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The only weakness I can think of is that occasionally there were only appointment spots in Mesa or Gilbert so I had to drive to different locations. I also didn't love seeing the other doctors. The biggest strength is that I always felt safe and in good hands.
Our doctor was opposed to transferring two due to an increased chance of complications. However, we were adamant about transferring two. He reviewed all of the dangers with us, but respected our decision and allowed us to do so.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
A couple times I called the clinic about results because I wanted to make sure to catch them before they closed. It sounded like they were still getting back to calls at the time so it's possible they were going to call me after hours.

Embryo Freezing
Dr. Larsen has always had a warm and welcome approach to care. Part of that is making sure he explains all that he sees (specifically explaining what we’re looking at on ultrasound in plain/ non-medical terminology). I never felt rushed and have always been given the opportunity to ask questions whether it be in an exam room or in his office. I particularly like that the doctor does the ultrasound themselves and has a lot of personal time with the patients.
The overall experience [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] is comforting. The doctors exceed my expectations every time, the lobby of the offices are beautiful and welcoming, the IVF coordinators are great resources- they truly are amazing. The nurses are friendly and assist the doctors in the room in case you have any gender concerns with a male doctor. Everyone is professional, friendly, and always smiling. To prevent feeling overwhelmed, bring a notepad, a list of questions relating to your diagnosis, treatment plan, cost, etc, and most importantly, your spouse. You aren’t alone, ever. Many of us are walking alongside you fighting the same or similar battle.
I conceived my daughter under the care of this clinic, primarily with another doctor but due to location preference, I see Dr. Larsen more now. He is definitely more blunt than the other doctor I see but his approach isn’t offensive. He doesn’t hide the truth or leave out details. I may take offense if I were a first time patient though. Overall, he provides the care I am looking for and always has a smile on his face with a positive outlook and plan. I recently recommended him to a friend in need of a fertility doctor.
He has a faster-pace/ higher energy than some of the other doctors there but by no means does he rush you. As a first time patient it may seem like he is but believe me, I have asked him lots and lots of questions and they were thoroughly answered. Arrive prepared with questions. If you think of a question after you leave, ask a nurse on your patient portal or give the office a call. They are very responsive and if it’s too elaborate to relay a message, sometimes the doctor himself will return the call.
I am preparing for an egg retrieval for embryo preservation. I am on Microsose Lupron, Menopur, Gonal-F and will take a Hcg trigger shot 36 hours before retrieval. These are all injectables so I was overwhelmed when they arrived, however, the clinic sets you up for an injection teaching appointment where they show you how to mix all of them into one so you only take one shot vs 3. I have to do this 2 times daily and go to the clinic for blood draws and ultrasounds to monitor how the eggs are maturing for retrieval. I am confident in their estimated timing for trigger at this office since I’ve had to do the trigger shot to conceive my daughter and we were successful very quickly.
The nursing staff is pleasant and always happy. My only complaint is they don’t seem organized. When I call with questions relating to an IVF cycle, different people answer and provide different answers. For example, one told me I haven’t been off of birth control long enough to start a cycle while another told me to stop it on a specific date. They aren’t consistent and I personally go to the IVF coordinator for questions since she is always consistent.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The overall experience is comforting. The doctors exceed my expectations every time, the lobby of the offices are beautiful and welcoming, the IVF coordinators are great resources- they truly are amazing. The nurses are friendly and assist the doctors in the room in case you have any gender concerns with a male doctor. Everyone is professional, friendly, and always smiling. To prevent feeling overwhelmed, bring a notepad, a list of questions relating to your diagnosis, treatment plan, cost, etc, and most importantly, your spouse. You aren’t alone, ever. Many of us are walking alongside you fighting the same or similar battle.
$8,239. My insurance was in-network and covered some of the office visit. We knew the Natera genetic screening was optional and billed outside but had no idea it would be $3,000. Medications are also billed outside, $1,200. The doctors office collects their portion upfront before you start your cycle, pharmacy calls for payment before they overnight meds and the genetic lab needs payment before your results will be released to your doctor.
Both doctors I’ve seen in this office prefer single embryo transfer, unless the patient has strong desire for multiple. They explain the rational and ultimately let you decide but are confident in their approach and the lower risk associated with one.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
I stress this- always ask a doctor or IVF coordinator specific questions. The nurses go off of the experiences they are “used to” within the office but everyone is different. The IVF coordinator or doctor will go back through your chart and provide information tailored to you.
Mesa

Dr. Larsen has always made us feel extremely comfortable with our treatment and every doctor visit. He made sure that we knew we were important and our treatment was important to him. Regardless of how many times, we have been at the doctors office, he was always ready to try a new approach regarding medication when it was necessary...From the very first visit, he took time to talk to us about everything and assured us that we will have a baby, we just needed to determine what course of treatment we needed but that it would happen.
The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] is clean, organized, and filled with kind and compassionate staff. Upon walking in, you are greeted and can instantly feel the warmth of everyone around. All staff is encouraging and positive during visits...[The nursing staff is] Always kind and compassionate. Very positive...Initial testing cost about $1200. Each iui cycle cost $925 but does not include medication. Menopur injections for 3 days cost $100. Novarel trigger shot cost $89. Progesterone suppositories cost $100. 3 days of Gonal f injections cost $340.
Our experience with Dr. Larsen has been the absolute best! From the very first visit, he took time to talk to us about everything and assured us that we will have a baby, we just needed to determine what course of treatment we needed but that it would happen. One of the fondest memories I have with Dr. Larsen was when he shared his thoughts on pregnancy and how he felt it truly was a miracle and not an easy thing. That was very important for me to hear. As a woman who sees friends and acquaintances getting pregnant so easily, it can be hard. But that one comment made me feel that my miracle would be here soon. He has always made us feel comfortable at all of our appointments. He explained what was happening and sent good wishes at the end of each iui. I am beyond grateful that we have Dr. Larsen in our lives helping us to bring a miracle blessing into this world.
Trust him and trust the process. Ask any and all questions. He is truly the best!
We started with initial testing. After everything came back clear, we began treatment for an IUI. I started with 100mg for 5 days. After my follicle check, I would give myself a trigger shot then we would go in for the iui. After each procedure, I would take 100mg of progesterone suppositories for 2 weeks until I went in for blood work to determine results. After the first unsuccessful procedure he increased my dosage to 150mg for 5 days which was also unsuccessful. I then began a mini stem iui and started giving myself injections after 5days of 150mg of clomid. I was injecting myself with menupur for 3 days. After that unsuccessful round, we tried again for the 4th iui. This time I did 3 injections and when I went in for my follicle check he felt it was best to do another injection in hopes of letting my follicles grow bigger before the iui procedure. Unfortunately that round was also unsuccessful. We just completed our fifth and final iui cycle. I took another round of clomid but this time did gonal f injections for 3 days. I went in for my follicle check and Dr. Larsen felt it was necessary to do another 3 days of gonal f injections. Afterward we saw success with follicle growth. I went home and gave myself the trigger shot the following day. We went in for the iui and will find out on Friday if I am pregnant.
Always kind and compassionate. Very positive
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic is clean, organized, and filled with kind and compassionate staff. Upon walking in, you are greeted and can instantly feel the warmth of everyone around. All staff is encouraging and positive during visits.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
I told him [Dr. Zoneraich] I would like things to be very matter of fact and clinical and always frank and technical as much as if possible and that is how he was, I could tell he still was kind and empathetic in his approach at times which really makes me think he is able to work with a patient in their own preferred way, had I wanted a more sweet compassionate hold my hand type of doctor I think he would have been but that is not how I want things medically and especially with all the miscarriages and crap leading up to going to see him I knew I would do best with some one who would help me keep it professional and avoid more emotions as much as possible for my own composure.
if any member of staff [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] did not know an answer they worked to find out and would always follow through to make sure I was content and satisfied with their answers, and that I was taken care of in all ways...I think they [nurses] could be a little more informed about the overall procedures and protocols because there were times they had to go ask and find out answers, this is fine and they always made sure to get me answers but if there was something they could work toward it would be advisable to always be educating all the staff I would think.
I believe Dr. Zoneraich was an excellent doctor especially for me because he was very good at explaining and answering my many questions and above all he seemed responsive to me personally, I told him I would like things to be very matter of fact and clinical and always frank and technical as much as if possible and that is how he was, I could tell he still was kind and empathetic in his approach at times which really makes me think he is able to work with a patient in their own preferred way, had I wanted a more sweet compassionate hold my hand type of doctor I think he would have been but that is not how I want things medically and especially with all the miscarriages and crap leading up to going to see him I knew I would do best with some one who would help me keep it professional and avoid more emotions as much as possible for my own composure.
I would say let him know your expectations up front, as much as possible be open with him about; what you want, what you know and what you hope to learn, how you want the experience to go, how you prefer to be treated/talked to- honestly it might sound odd but basically if you want things sugar coated and or broached very carefully or just frank and more scientifically/medically direct.
Dr. Z and his staff were responsive not only to the physical clinical stuff but also my personality, I ask a lot of questions and had done, and continue to, a lot of research which I am sure can be annoying to them but they never made me feel that way, never felt rushed or as if they were being dismissive but always listened to and if any member of staff did not know an answer they worked to find out and would always follow through to make sure I was content and satisfied with their answers, and that I was taken care of in all ways.
We have retrieved eggs, from one of my sisters, and fertilized them with my spouse and frozen the embryos but I haven’t done any implantations yet, we are saving up again for that second phase.
I think they could be a little more informed about the overall procedures and protocols because there were times they had to go ask and find out answers, this is fine and they always made sure to get me answers but if there was something they could work toward it would be advisable to always be educating all the staff I would think.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
They were always good about answering the phone calls or getting right back to me and getting the answers I needed/wanted. I think they could be better at their descriptions/explainations of the financials, it didn’t feel deceptive or misleading but more just like they could be more formalized and have all options planned out- just a little more organized with some of the business side of this stuff.
We spent about 3-5k going through testing to find out why we had recurrent pregnancy losses, and then just over 17k to get my sister ready for being an egg donor and then retrieving fertilizing and freezing
Dr. Z has said he would recommend one but we can discuss doing two once we get closer to that point.
Mesa

[at Advanced Fertility Care of AZ-Mesa] IVF for severe male factor. With ICSI and PGD testing.... Overall warm,Kind and caring. I felt so comfortable through the entire process. All staff was amazing. (Except for one nurse after my retrieval). Even the embryologist who spent at least 2,45 min phone conversations with me to discuss my embryos. She was a gem (sherry is her name) I can not recommend them enough. Also they adjusted their schedule to accommodate me so that I didn’t have to go through IVF while teaching and can have it done through summer vacation. (Was a big mixup on my part, but they worked it out for me)
Dr. Larsen is kind, patient, caring and extremely knowledgeable. I met him at a friends house who was hosting a Qand A about infertility. He was the guest speaker he volunteered what must have been 2 hours of his time to answer every single question posed to him that night. After that I made an apt to do my next IVF treatment with him. He is so incredibly kind. And when things don’t go as planned you see it pains him too. You feel like you’re in this together. He’s my 3rd IVF dr and after being treated by him I wouldn’t go anywhere else.
Come with all your questions because he will give you as much time you need to go through everything. Also if there is a religious concern bring it up to him. He will accommodate you as much he can. He has gone above and beyond for my religious needs (as a Jew) with no judgment
When I would call and say my first name they knew exactly who I was. I was given plenty of time. NEVER RUSHED
IVF for severe male factor. With ICSI and PGD testing. Based on my previous failed cycles he decided it was needed.
She was sweet. Nice. Informative. And worked with me and my needs not just their schedule
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
He is a big proponent of eSET. Really doesn’t budge unless Mother’s age or other factors
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
The nurse after retrieval forgot to mention to me that I shouldn’t put in tampons or have sex after the procedure.
Mesa

The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care] is run line a finely tuned instrument! Between the doctors, nursing staff, IVF nurse and receptionist they all work in-sync and provide clear communication. They answer emails and return phone calls promptly, which is always appreciated! There are 3 clinic locations and they're all beautiful and clean facilities.... Everyone on staff always greets you with a smile! They're understanding and compassionate and they've always walked me through any blood work, tests or procedures I was having. They're great at providing peace of mind.
My experience as Dr. Larsen's patient can be described as a learning experience. It's been a journey! Because of him I have a better understanding of my body and my infertility issues. With his guidance in this journey I have a new found strength and hope that we'll have a baby someday soon!
What are you waiting for? You're not getting any younger! Make an appointment for a consult with Dr. Larsen so you too can begin your journey and be one step closer to building your family! You will find everything you need in him as a fertility doctor and you'll be pleased with his staff as well!
Dr. Larsen has never made us feel like a number! He has a way of ensuring I know I am top priority at each visit. He's opened our eyes by providing a clear understanding of what's going on with my body and and why we've had to go from plan A to plan B to plan C, and he did it in a way that we understood while being empathetic! He laid out what we could expect from day one so there weren't any surprises. He is patient & understanding and provided a smooth transition into our upcoming IVF cycle!
We began with oral medication starting at a low dosage and worked our way up when we saw that my body just wasn't responding. Reason for that is because everyone is different and as as such responds differently to specific treatment & dosages. When the oral meds weren't working he introduced injetable meds that his staff taught me how to self inject at home. Unfortunately after several months of trying this protocol and seeing that it wasn't working for me we then began discussing IVF. At our IVF consult he sat us down and explained the process in detail, provided medical visual aids to help give us a better understanding. All the while we never once felt rushed!
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic is run line a finely tuned instrument! Between the doctors, nursing staff, IVF nurse and receptionist they all work in-sync and provide clear communication. They answer emails and return phone calls promptly, which is always appreciated! There are 3 clinic locations and they're all beautiful and clean facilities.
My insurance covered almost all of my procedures & medications as long as it was used in conjunction with natural conception/timed intercourse. Very few expenses were out of pocket and not reimbursible, which I was ok with. Now that we'll be pursuing IVF this will be completely out of pocket as our insurance will not cover any of it.
He has expressed that single over multiple transfers is preferred because of the associated risks that come with multiple births. He also explained that the chances of multiples is higher with IVF over natural conception. After much discussion On his point of view I understand why one embryo transfer is safer. I'm much more comfortable knowing Dr. Larsen is looking out for the long term health and safety of myself and our futur baby/babies! If I'm going to invest all this time, money, invest my body and emotions into the IVF process, why would I want to risk me or my babies health just for the possibility of twins/multiples? I understand that the decision of implanting one or more embryo is a personal choice or dependent of each individual situation, but I feel Dr. Larsen (and myself) have valid points to consider.

2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Larsen is personable and compassionate. After experiencing our first pregnancy and miscarriage through IVF, he sat us down in a comfortable place and explained out options. He comforted us and made us feel hopeful about the future. He has a positive demeanor, while still delivering not-so-good news in a compassionate way.... Retrieval 1: BC pills, Lupron, Menopur, Follistim, HCG Trigger shot Fertilization: 21 eggs, 17 mature, 5 fertilized Fresh Transfer: progesterone shots, estrogen patches Result: One 5-day blastocyst and 1 morula transferred resulting in pregnancy of one fetus. Saw heartbeat at 6 weeks, miscarried at 8 weeks.
This clinic [Advanced Fertility Care of AZ] is extremely organized and they communicate very effectively. The way the clinic runs is a definite strength of this practice. They are very flexible with getting appointment days and times that work for you. I love that his clinic has a patient portal that I can use to communicate with the nursing staff or my doctor. There are always questions that come up after I have visited the clinic and I feel a sense of comfort knowing I can ask them in the portal and they will respond quickly.
This would be for any doctor. Research, ask questions, and do all of the diagnostic testing and other testing that you can do in order to come up with the best protocol for you.
Dr. Larsen and all of the doctors at Advanced Fertility Care are kind and do seem to care about you as a person.
Retrieval 1: BC pills, Lupron, Menopur, Follistim, HCG Trigger shot Fertilization: 21 eggs, 17 mature, 5 fertilized Fresh Transfer: progesterone shots, estrogen patches Result: One 5-day blastocyst and 1 morula transferred resulting in pregnancy of one fetus. Saw heartbeat at 6 weeks, miscarried at 8 weeks. Retrieval 2: BC pills, Lupron, Menopur, Follistim, HCG Trigger shot Fertilization: 28 eggs, 21 mature, 17 fertilized through ICSI, four 6-day blastocysts sent for PGS testing, 2 chromosomally normal embryos frozen Frozen transfer #1: BC pills, estrogen patches, lupron, progesterone shots Results: 1 PGS normal embryo transferred resulting in pregnancy with low HCG (29 on 14dp6dt). HCG levels rose appropriately, but only a sac visible at first ultrasound at 7 weeks confirming a non-viable pregnancy. Action: Recurrent pregnancy loss blood work done, which revealed elevated blood clotting number (no diagnosis), and heterozygous MTHFR gene mutation. Frozen transfer #2: BC pills, estrogen patches, progesterone shots, Folate, lovenox injections (after transfer) Results: 1 PGS normal embryo transferred resulting in a negative pregnancy test
The nursing staff were kind and compassionate and responded promptly to any questions I had.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
This clinic is extremely organized and they communicate very effectively. The way the clinic runs is a definite strength of this practice. They are very flexible with getting appointment days and times that work for you. I love that his clinic has a patient portal that I can use to communicate with the nursing staff or my doctor. There are always questions that come up after I have visited the clinic and I feel a sense of comfort knowing I can ask them in the portal and they will respond quickly.
The first cycle (retrieval and transfer) was around $11,000. The second cycle (retrieval, ICSI, Freeze embryos, PGS testing) was around $15,000, plus about $3,000 paid directly to the lab who did the PGS testing.
Once we did the PGS testing, they recommended only transferring one embryo. We did not ask to transfer more, but it seems like they would be open to it depending on the circumstance.
Scottsdale

Dr. Zoneraich helped me understand my diagnosis in non-medical terminology. He drew pictures to help explain and allow me to visualize what was happening. I particularly like that our discussions were in his office and only medical treatments were in an exam room because it can be overwhelming... I was diagnosed with Early Ovarian Failure. I had the option to induce a period with progesterone but ended up not needing it. Dr. Z gave us three treatment options to discuss. First, clomid ministim which was 5 days of clomid pills, 3 days of Gonal F injections and finally a trigger shot with times intercourse.
The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care of AZ] was very clean. It didn’t feel like a doctors office. I have been to their Scottsdale and Mesa office. Both waiting rooms are beautiful, offering complimentary coffee and water. I only wish the front desk staff took phone calls in a private area. They openly talk to patients on the phone.... I was surprised to learn the low cost of clomid ministim compared to IVF. It was approximately $3,000 for all tests such as ultrasound and blood work once treatment started as well as the clomid, Gonal F and trigger shot.
Dr. Z spoke to me as a friend, not a patient. He was sincere, thorough and gave me hope during I time I needed it most. I particularly like that he called me personally to discuss a treatment question I had and not a nurse. Being 25 and unmarried, I was worried I would be negatively persuaded to choose one decision when in fact, Dr. Z gave us multiple options and explained all pros and cons of each.
Check your insurance coverage! Mine covered diagnostic testing up until I started treatment. Also, write questions down before arriving. I was often overwhelmed and lost my train of thought and forgot to ask questions while there.
Dr. Zoneraich helped me understand my diagnosis in non-medical terminology. He drew pictures to help explain and allow me to visualize what was happening. I particularly like that our discussions were in his office and only medical treatments were in an exam room because it can be overwhelming. He didn’t tell me what I had to do but gave me 3 options to go home and discuss before calling him with a decision. He was very thorough and I never felt judged being 25 and not married as I did with my first opinion doctor. Glad I sought a second opinion and glad it was with Dr. Z. We now have a friend seeking treatment options from him and will be back when we are ready for a second child ourselves! We love AFC!
I was diagnosed with Early Ovarian Failure. I had the option to induce a period with progesterone but ended up not needing it. Dr. Z gave us three treatment options to discuss. First, clomid ministim which was 5 days of clomid pills, 3 days of Gonal F injections and finally a trigger shot with times intercourse. This is the option we chose. 2nd option was IVF and the 3rd was to do nothing because we didn’t know how fast my eggs were depleting. Unfortanetly, I ovulated over Memorial Day weekend so my first treatment failed because the office was closed. However, they so kindly offered me a discount on repeating the cycle the following month since the failure was no ones fault. The second cycle gave us a happy, healthy baby girl!
The nursing staff made you feel comfortable during the process. They also call promptly with results and are the ones to let you know your pregnancy results!
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic was very clean. It didn’t feel like a doctors office. I have been to their Scottsdale and Mesa office. Both waiting rooms are beautiful, offering complimentary coffee and water. I only wish the front desk staff took phone calls in a private area. They openly talk to patients on the phone.
Scottsdale

The rest of their office staff [at Advanced Fertility Care] is always very friendly and asks how things are going. No matter how many times you go, they always remind you to use the restroom if you have to or other little things that makes you feel like they care about your experience as well...The only issue we had was with billing once and it was related to our portion out of pocket for the last required IUI — AFC told us we needed to pay the deductible and then 10% of the cost (which was how we had read the insurance documents as well). However when we got the EOB from our insurance, we determined that we were really only supposed to pay a $35 copay. AFC quickly got this resolved and put it on our account as a credit toward embryo freezing fees since we were in the middle of our IVF cycle by the time it all got billed, reviewed, and paid by our insurance company...I truly could not be happier that we chose Advanced Fertility Care as our first (and only) fertility clinic as I fully believe we have received amazing service and care.
I was impressed at our first visit that Dr. Larsen himself spent so much time seeing us. He went through the most common causes of infertility, provided data regarding infertility, and then went through each and every test that we would go through to determine a cause of our infertility (if possible). Not only did he provide all this information verbally, he wrote it all down and then gave us that information to keep for our reference. Beyond that, he had a packet of preprinted information related to infertility FAQs, information about the testing process, etc which allowed us to feel quite comfortable when it was time to actually go in for all the testing. Once we completed the testing, we went back in and met with Dr. Larsen again to go through all of our results and our potential next steps. (I have heard of many others that see the doctor for their initial consultation but then once all the tests are done, they see an NP or PA to review their results and let them know the plans.) Once again, Dr. Larsen reviewed all of potential options, risks and benefits of each, chance of conceiving per cycle with each, as well as standard FAQ type documents. After seeing Dr. Larsen, we met with some of the ladies in billing to discuss the costs of each different type of service and provided handouts with that information. From then on any time I would call to start a new cycle or schedule an appointment, I could typically be seen either first thing in the AM or late in PM which worked best for my own work schedule. The only time I didn’t see Dr. Larsen or Dr. Z was when I only had to do blood draws — otherwise every single ultrasound, scan, IUI, etc was completed by one of the doctors. After my first failed IUI, Dr. Larsen and I discussed the game plan going forward and decided to increase my dose of clomid to hopefully improve my chances. When that didn’t work, we moved on to Clomid with Gonal F — which ended up causing some side effects. After that failed IUI, when the RN called with my negative pregnancy test, I asked for the next game plan, Dr. Z called me back within the hour (Dr. Larsen was on vacation that week) and explained to me what we should consider going forward — I felt quite comfortable that Dr. Z had reviewed my chart and knew what I had previously tried to know what to recommend next. He once again answered all my questions and told me to call back or email if anything else came up. We did one more IUI with Femara and Gonal F — which was unsuccessful. After the 4th IUI, my husband and I decided to move to IVF after the first of the year (we were transitioning to insurance that covered IVF) but spent an hour meeting with Dr. Larsen to review the entire process from day 1 to day of the pregnancy test so that we would feel comfortable. We reviewed all of the potential risks as well as the clinic’s data in terms of success. We were once again provided with a handwritten sheet that covered all of the necessary information as well as preprinted FAQs about the process and common meds as well as the needed consent forms. With the change in the new year, we learned our new insurance required a 6th ovarian stem cycle, so we did the last IUI but once again Dr. Larsen adjusted my meds to try to give me the best outcomes. When that was not successful, we began IVF. The day after my initial scan, I received a calendar that provided me with important dates regarding when to start and what doses of meds to start. The office was VERY helpful when the pharmacy had trouble getting some of the meds authorized from my insurance and quickly completed the necessary forms on their end. Prior to the initiation of the lupin, gonal, and menopur, my husband and I went to the office and saw one of the RNs for about 30-45 minutes of education on injection technique and process for each other meds. It is worth noting that they said typically the appointments are longer but I work in health care and therefore knew how to do the injection technique for the most part which sped up the process. We also finalized all of our consent forms and went from there. Throughout the rest of the IVF cycle, I either saw Dr. Larsen, Dr. Z, or Dr Kummer (their newest associate) for every ultrasound and received a call or email from the office regarding adjustments to my medications. The retrieval and transfer process were flawless as well with Dr. Z and Dr. Kummer coming in and speaking with my husband and I prior to each for 5-10 minutes and asking us what questions we had. I felt quite comfortable during the entire process — the other benefit to me was the retrievals/transfers were done right at their Scottsdale office which I was quite familiar with already from all my other appointments so that helped decrease my nerves for the whole experience. After the retrieval, I was told how many eggs had been collected and then was called every day to every other day with updates on how many fertilized, got to 8 cells, and got to blastocyst stage. When we went for transfer, it was recommended to only transfer one blastocyst just based on the quality of them; my husband and I had already thought we only wanted one but it is important to know that they definitely push for single embryo transfers due to the risks of multiples with more embryos. I recently found out I was pregnant from the initial IVF — one thing I REALLY appreciated was that Dr. Larsen himself and others from the staff were on the phone to call me for my positive pregnancy test — after all that time, work, money, emotional toll, it was nice to hear it from the Dr himself and not just one of the staff — it really made me feel like I wasn’t just another patient in their clinic. I am now going every other day to every 3rd day for my HCG levels and get calls from the staff with the numbers and the plan to make sure I stay in the loop. I truly could not be happier that we chose Advanced Fertility Care as our first (and only) fertility clinic as I fully believe we have received amazing service and care. Just as a side note about the personalized care, my husband and I participated in the RESOLVE Walk for Hope and Dr. Larsen was there and while I doubt he knew our names, he did recognize us both, say hello and ask how we are doing. It just makes me think back to my friends and colleagues that have seen their actual Dr once or twice and always seen an NP, PA, or RN since then and agains makes me realize how great of care we really get from AFC.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The rest of their office staff is always very friendly and asks how things are going. No matter how many times you go, they always remind you to use the restroom if you have to or other little things that makes you feel like they care about your experience as well. The only issue we had was with billing once and it was related to our portion out of pocket for the last required IUI — AFC told us we needed to pay the deductible and then 10% of the cost (which was how we had read the insurance documents as well). However when we got the EOB from our insurance, we determined that we were really only supposed to pay a $35 copay. AFC quickly got this resolved and put it on our account as a credit toward embryo freezing fees since we were in the middle of our IVF cycle by the time it all got billed, reviewed, and paid by our insurance company. We did have embryos to freeze so it didn’t matter but we were also assured that if we didn’t have embryos to freeze, we would be reimbursed the appropriate amount. One piece of advice: Know what your insurance does and doesn’t cover ahead of time.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Larsen personally performed all my procedures while I was TTC (ultrasound monitoring, egg retrieval, egg transfer, etc.). He met with my personally for post-cycle consults and to discuss the next course of action. He explained every single detail, the statistics, and answered every single question I had. He provided great personal attention while I was in his care...I feel like things went as well as they could have (under what was controllable like meds) and that my protocols were changed appropriately.
[Advanced Fertility Center] Strengths: all procedures are always done by one of the doctors. They have 3 offices located around the valley. Weakness: I don't know if this is a "weakness," but the clinic does have multiple offices (which is a strength). However, the doctor's rotate offices...you may not see your primary doctor. ...The nursing staff was always available when I needed them...they do charge a % more if you use a credit card vs cash/check if you are paying a high amount of costs.
I really like Dr. Larsen! He's very nice and personable. He took the time to address all my concerns and to make the appropriate adjustments to my cycles. I feel like things went as well as they could have (under what was controllable like meds) and that my protocols were changed appropriately.
Ask questions, Dr. Larsen will answer them. If he doesn't have an answer right away -- he'll research it and get back to you. He is very approachable and knowledgeable.
I did not have any known fertility issues. The first thing we did was do some baseline tests to make sure my fallopian tubes were open, check my blood levels, and check for any uterine fibroids/polyps. I appreciated the complete pre-fertility treatment workup that I received and felt that it was thorough and gave me a good place to start. Without any known issues with my baseline assessment, we started off with IUI with a low dose of Clomid and a trigger shot. We slowly increased the Clomid dosage with each IUI. When I continued to have failed cycles, we moved onto a mini-stim cycle that combined Clomid with Injectables. Eventually after 6 failed IUI monitored and medicated cycles, I moved onto IVF. There were no indications on why the IUI's did not work, as my fertility numbers looked good. I was eventually diagnosed with Unexplained Infertility. With my good reaction to the injectables during my IUI's, I started off on the Luteal Lupron Protocol for my first IVF cycle. Unfortunately I did not react well to the protocol and my cycle was cancelled due to non-response. My next IVF round we changed the protocol to the Microdose Lupron Flare protocol, which did lead to an egg retrieval which resulted in 5-day blastocysts, one of which would lead to a pregnancy through a FET protocol.
The nursing staff was always available when I needed them. They explained things to me and when I called for additional questions, they were always quick to respond or find an answer. They were also very compassionate with me. I had a difficult time while TTC and the nurses were always there to provide a hug and reassuring words. I truly appreciate the care and attention I received from them.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Strengths: all procedures are always done by one of the doctors. They have 3 offices located around the valley. Weakness: I don't know if this is a "weakness," but the clinic does have multiple offices (which is a strength). However, the doctor's rotate offices. So, if you are limited on which office to get care from and limited on the day you can attend, - you may not see your primary doctor. There are 3 doctors on staff. The other doctors were nice (which is a strength as well). But I did prefer to see my doctor because I had built such a personal relationship with him and just felt more comfortable with him.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
For IUI's the monitoring appointments were a little bit easier, because you had more flexibility on when to go in. For IVF, there was a morning window that had to be met so they can make appropriate adjustments to your medications (if needed). I do want to add that I never had a long wait in this office. I was seen on-time and was in/out in no time. I appreciated their promptness and how smoothly the office runs.
All their costs are listed on their website. If you have insurance coverage, the costs will differ depending what your insurance covers. I will say that they do charge a % more if you use a credit card vs cash/check if you are paying a high amount of costs. I would also double check that their lab is covered under your insurance. They have their own lab that they use and if the clinic is covered, that doesn't mean the lab is covered. Best to check that both are under coverage because the lab fees are the largest charges when you're doing IVF.
Dr. Larsen provides his suggestions on the number of embryos to transfer based on your personal situation, which I appreciated. Dr. Larsen is very good at looking at your history and then quoting what he believes the odds are of success. For example, I did not want twins - so we stuck with eSETS until my last FET where I decided to transfer two. Since I had previously failed FET's and with my personal history of unexplained infertility, the odds were only one embryo would implant (which is how it turned out for me).
Mesa
During my testing [at Advanced Fertility care] I was seen promptly at every appointment, I was never rescheduled or made to wait long periods of time at either the Phoenix or the Scottsdale locations. The nursing staff and phlebotomist were exceptional, very friendly, knowledgable and gentle! The front office staff was very friendly from my first phone conversation until the last time I was seen by them. They were very knowledgable about my insurance and were very forthcoming ab
While I was being seen at Advanced Fertility Care from April-June of 2016 I saw all three doctors at two of their facilities, but my primary RE was Dr Larsen. All three doctors, Dr Larsen, Dr Zoneraich, and Dr Kummer are wonderful! Our initial appointment with Dr Larsen was great, he explained fertility in a way no article online or book could ever get through to me. He went into details about our possible options dependent of course on our specific diagnosis. We were very upfront with him about the fact that we were having our diagnostic testing done only at his facility due to our last minute move and he was still super friendly and helpful! (He even showed me a secret way to check the success rates of other RE's online to help me pick a new doctor once we got home!!)
Dr Larsen was great! We saw him for our initial diagnosis and testing appointments. After our final consult we had to move back to Washington State. I wish I could fly to Arizona to see him for the rest of our treatments.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
During my testing I was seen promptly at every appointment, I was never rescheduled or made to wait long periods of time at either the Phoenix or the Scottsdale locations. The nursing staff and phlebotomist were exceptional, very friendly, knowledgable and gentle! The front office staff was very friendly from my first phone conversation until the last time I was seen by them. They were very knowledgable about my insurance and were very forthcoming about all finances from the beginning and again before every appointment. If I knew more people in the Phoenix area (we only lived their 6 months) I would recommend them to everyone!! This is my only way to do that I suppose!
2010 - 2015, Successful
I had dealt with 7 years of infertility and several dr.s before seeing Dr. Larsen. He was up front with me and real about that would be worth my time and not. I felt with him it was a out what's best for each patient rather than that helps him collect the most money ... He has a different personality a little. He is very very much about being realistic and giving REAL results. He is kind and cares and also dealt with fertility treatments himself (his wife went through them so he understands both sides) he is kind and definitely just an all around good guy.
Overall I felt like the clinic [Advanced Fertility Care] was organized, kind, and cared for the patients. I didn't feel like a number and I also felt like they remembered my situation every time which helped! ... I felt love from the whole staff [nursing]. It was obvious they all cared and wanted us to all succeed. I also felt safe that they were watching my cycle closely and knew more than I did ... which is great because it can be confusing!
I had dealt with 7 years of infertility and several dr.s before seeing Dr. Larsen. He was up front with me and real about that would be worth my time and not. I felt with him it was a out what's best for each patient rather than that helps him collect the most money (I dealt with that before) I felt comfortable with him and feel like he truly cared about my situation.
I was a wreck during my treatments. Dr. Larsen always took the time to answer every question for me. It wasn't till I got pregnant and went to a regular OBGYN that I realized how wonderful him and his staff were! They were on top of everything for me and he was SO good about realistic expectations and still providing hope 💓 I would do anything to have him deliver my babies too because he truly cared about me and my family.
After years of doing cycles with chlmoed (we tried 7 years before getting pregnant) we went with Dr Larsen. He told me up front that IUI had a very low chance for implantation but it does work for some and may be worth a try for the price difference! We chose to do for cycles that failed. He each time told us it would probably be good to do IVF but it was our choice. We didn't have the money at the time so we continued down that path. My husband pulled the money from a retirement account that we had and surprised me by paying for a cycle and working with Dr Larsen to suprise me! I honestly couldn't believe it! He handed me a gift (it was baby outfits) and a card saying that him and Dr Larsen worked everything out and that I was just start birth control the following day. It was a dream come true. I love that he worked with my husband to make it special for me. After having a successful pregnancy with that IVF treatment I had 7 Frozen embryos. Unfortunately a few months after having my baby I somehow got pregnant on my own and had a miscarriage. Dr. Larson helps me through the whole thing. After two more miscarriages and years we chose to continue with IVF for a second round. We put in two embryos and one took and created our beautiful daughter! 5 months later I again got pregnant on our own and this time miraculously the pregnancy stayed! After 7 years of tears and pain I now have three beautiful children. A 6 your old boy, a 2 year old girl, and a one year old girl now 💓 I still have 5 Frozen embryos with Dr L. He really made all the difference in my experience and I would never go anywhere else! Prior to using him I went to several doctors who diagnose me with PCOS and didn't pay full attention to my Cycles. I found out later that they could have potentially harmed my fertility with how carelessly they were having me take Clomid. I took it for 12 cycles. Having a good doctor is everything!
I felt love from the whole staff. It was obvious they all cared and wanted us to all succeed. I also felt safe that they were watching my cycle closely and knew more than I did 😂 which is great because it can be confusing!
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Overall I felt like the clinic was organized, kind, and cared for the patients. I didn't feel like a number and I also felt like they remembered my situation every time which helped! at other locations I felt like I was really explaining myself every single time I went.
If I remember correctly I think it was $1,200 for the initial testing. I why I think was $300 at the time per cycle. When we did IVF we did a money back guarantee program. It was $15 to $20,000 for three tries and it guaranteed you get pregnant or you get a big portion of the money back. When we did a frozen cycle I believe it was like $5,000 for both medicine and the treatment. I believe for one cycle fresh it was more like $7,500.
He had a strong preference on only putting one in. On the first one that one took! he understood me wanting to put the two and on the second round but make sure I understood all the risks involved. He was clear that he had seen some rough situations with twins and triplets and that 1 Singleton pregnancy is a success. I would probably still transfer two if I did another round and I'm sure he'd be okay with that. Anything more though he was uncomfortable with.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
I saw Dr Larsen almost every visit never just a nurse. After every failed attempt he would take the time to personally call and discuss the next step and options. He is very knowledgeable and stays up to date on the latest treatments and research... If you have an hashimotos that is a factor with infertility he may not be your best choice. He doesn’t believe your auto immune condition has any impact on your fertility if your tsh is ok.
Cost was he biggest factor, we are 100% cash pay and they [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] are pricier than a lot of places...They have a great billing staff they will do all they can to get authorizations and things covered for you...They are all very kind and never leave you with questions unanswered. If it’s aomething they can’t answer they will follow up with you after talking with the doctor...One egg retrieval including icsi and anesthesia was over $12,000 not including meds or genetic testing.
The front office staff greets you by name and even remember where I work and what I do. It has been a rough 4 years but the staff and doctors are always so caring and never make you feel like you are just a customer. Many have similar experiences and understand the heartache involved and can relate on a whole different level.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Cost was he biggest factor, we are 100% cash pay and they are pricier than a lot of places. I honestly believe you get what you pay for in this type of situation so we have stuck with the clinic. They have a great billing staff they will do all they can to get authorizations and things covered for you.
Scottsdale
Dr Zoneraich was very upfront about the process of IUI, and exactly why we needed to use Donor Sperm. We did not feel pressured into anything and always felt in control of our treatment. ... He is very straight forward (which i appreciate), so just know that you aren't going to get someone who is super delicate with your feelings. Dont get me wrong though, he is still very compassionate!
[Advanced Fertility Care-Mesa's] Strengths were phone based app to manage appts and tests, location near our house, friendly front desk staff, clean and well stocked waiting room. Weaknesses would be hours/locations. (Drs were split between 3 valley office locations) Also, not able to do IUI at location closest to home.... We got lucky on our first cycle of IUI. I followed the instructions (came in for an ultraaound during my cycle, and then I believe I started Clomid on the 4th or 5th day. Took 5 days of that, had another ultrasound in which i had too many eggs. We waited over the weekend and got another ultrasound in on a Monday. My eggs had reduced to an acceptable number so the next day i gave myself the HCG trigger shot, and i was scheduled for my IUI on Thursday morning.
Dr Zoneraich was very upfront about the process of IUI, and exactly why we needed to use Donor Sperm. We did not feel pressured into anything and always felt in control of our treatment. We are truly grateful for him!
He was very straight-forward yet compassionate about our situation and made us both feel at ease throughout the process.
Everyone was extremely pleasant and helpful.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
We didnt do any embryo transfers.
Mesa

My experiences with Dr. Larsen were all positive. He was really clear when he performed ultrasounds, describing exactly what he was seeing, and making casual conversation. When I had questions he gave really clear answers...I did 3 rounds of ovulation induction and timed intercourse. 2 were with Clomid and a trigger injection, but it thinned my uterine lining too much. The 3rd round was with Femara and a trigger injection and that's when I finally got pregnant.
The fact that I got to see a doc at every visit [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] was really reassuring...The nursing staff always seemed nice to me. They trained me to do my injection and there was always someone available to quickly answer any questions I sent on the patient portal...Each round of ovulation induction was around $500-600. I did also have an HSG and saline sonohystogram, which cost around $1500 total.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
The fact that I got to see a doc at every visit was really reassuring. Dr. Larsen was super friendly and willing to answer all questions.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
This clinic didn't feel "too big" to me. Some places in suburban Phoenix feel very corporate and big and I just feel like one of many. Here I felt like I knew the staff. I felt like they remembered me and always treated me with kindness.
Mesa

Dr z [Nathaniel Zoneraich] is amazing. He made me feel so good throughout this trying process. I am a type A planner and he was willing to talk to us through all of my questions and what ifs. He also worked with our schedules and helped us find care with other doctors that was necessary for testing. He is realistic and gives you facts that are necessary to make decisions.
[Advanced Fertility Care of AZ- Mesa is] Very clean and modern. The waiting time is usually very minimal... the offices look the same so it is nice to have consistency. The nurses even rotate offices. They give watervabd other drink choices while you wait.... The ladies are so friendly and so helpful. I get answers right away from the portal which is a blessing. I've even used the nurse on call and she was amazing
Dr z is amazing. He made me feel so good throughout this trying process. I am a type A planner and he was willing to talk to us through all of my questions and what ifs. He also worked with our schedules and helped us find care with other doctors that was necessary for testing. He is realistic and gives you facts that are necessary to make decisions.
To think positive thoughts and trust in the process.
He is always so happy and cheerful and answers my millions of questions with patience
My treatment included 5 days of clomid.... baby aspirin.... then the hcg trigger shot (novarel). After iui I am taking progesterone suppositories and baby aspirin
I am paying 995 per iui cycle not including medications
2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
A great doctor! I had all fertility testing done through his office. He was quick with results as he does all testing personally. He gave us our options, but did not pressure us into any treatments. I had some polyps that needed to be removed and Dr. Zoneraich did that surgery himself. I am now on my second attempt with femara so we will see what happens at the end of this cycle. I have had a great experience with this doctor and his staff so far. My only complaint is that the billing office needs some work. They have attempted to overcharge a few times. You just have to be vigilant and know what you are supposed to pay so that you can make sure it matches what they are asking for.
Be prepared to pay appointment costs up front.
Nurses were always kind and made sure I was as comfortable as I could be. I had to have one appointment with Dr. L while Dr. Z was out of town and I was so pleasantly surprised that he knew my whole history and where I was at with my treatment. Dr. Z takes the time to answer all of my questions without rushing me or my husband.
Always made sure I was comfortable. (Did I need to use the restroom, do I need water etc.)
Scottsdale
The doctor [Dr. Frederick Larsen] is very knowledgeable and I felt very confident with his work. He went over my test results and went over all the possibilities I have very strong confidence that this doctor will help me and I really felt like he really cares about his patients... The treatment for me was to start off with testing my husband and just doing general testing so we can move forward with the fertility
The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care of AZ- Phoenix] was absolutely beautiful very clean and very inviting and warm. I felt very comfortable there and would definitely recommend this clinic if somebody needs . The front desk lady was super nice and helpful... Considering that I don’t have insurance I thought their cash price discount was very generous... The nurses were very nice
The doctor is very knowledgeable and I felt very confident with his work. He went over my test results and went over all the possibilities I have very strong confidence that this doctor will help me and I really felt like he really cares about his patients
Just keep doing what you’re doing
Very warm person and very detailed about his work and just felt very comfortable
The nurses were very nice
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic was absolutely beautiful very clean and very inviting and warm. I felt very comfortable there and would definitely recommend this clinic if somebody needs . The front desk lady was super nice and helpful

2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Larsen always explains everything clearly while and makes sure I understand. He also has excellent bedside manner and called me back the next day after some hard news to make sure I was doing okay...Dr. Larsen is very hard to get into but once you meet him it is not a surprise at all. He is intelligent, compassionate, and knows his stuff! I also really appreciate that he is always on time to meet with me...It's worth the wait...be open with him so he can help you.
My favorite thing about Advanced Fertility Care is that they are always on time. I've never waited more then 2 minutes beyond my appointment time and sometimes when I show up 5 minutes early they are ready for me. It's wonderful to know I won't spend too much time when I go in for an appointment...The nursing staff is wonderful. They always explain things clearly with a smile on their faces..Dr. Larsen is very hard to get into but once you meet him it is not a surprise at all.
It's worth the wait. Also, be open with him so he can help you.
Mesa
He [Dr. Frederick Larsen] was great...I have no negative feedback. He was always patient, kind, trustworthy, on time, explaining everything, encouraging. It was the best experience and I couldn't have asked for more. I really have no negative feedback. The experience was beyond expectation. We have a beautiful, healthy baby boy because of him....PGS testing was the reason we were able to put the correct embryo. He highly recommended it after our 5 losses with previous trials.
He [Dr. Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of AZ] was great...I have no negative feedback. He was always patient, kind, trustworthy, on time, explaining everything, encouraging. It was the best experience and I couldn't have asked for more. I really have no negative feedback. The experience was beyond expectation. We have a beautiful, healthy baby boy because of him....PGS testing was the reason we were able to put the correct embryo. He highly recommended it after our 5 losses with previous trials.
He was great...I have no negative feedback. He was always patient, kind, trustworthy, on time, explaining everything, encouraging. It was the best experience and I couldn't have asked for more. I really have no negative feedback. The experience was beyond expectation. We have a beautiful, healthy baby boy because of him.
Trust him.
He's absolutely FANTASTIC!! Great bedside manners, kind, patient, explains everything.
Great!
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
No negatives...honestly my experience was amazing.
10k