1550 S. Alma School Rd
480-413-2229
9819 North 95th Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
480-874-2229

I wanted to try a few cycles of IUI, and while Dr. Larsen was honest about the relatively low statistical success rate, I never felt pressured to move right into IVF...I never felt rushed or dismissed...No success with IUI but felt Dr. Larsen tailored his approach to my individual needs... recommended eSET for me, especially because I have a thinner lining, which would have a harder time supporting multiple embryos.
Advanced Fertility Care has two offices- one in Mesa and one in Scottsdale. You may have to be a little flexible at times as to the location depending on the days you need to be seen. But I've never had a problem getting an appointment when needed... nice to see familiar faces at each visit to the office...Each IUI cycle was about $1,000...IVF was quoted at almost $15k and about $4k for medications...
How was your experience with Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
My husband and I met with Dr. Larsen due to unexplained infertility. He clearly explained our options and cited research studies and statistics. I wanted to try a few cycles of IUI, and while Dr. Larsen was honest about the relatively low statistical success rate, I never felt pressured to move right into IVF. I completed three back to back cycles of IUI treatments and Dr. Larsen was always willing to answer my many questions. I never felt rushed or dismissed. I appreciate his knowledge and caring nature and plan to begin IVF as soon as procedures can be resumed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Hold your pee before an IUI... it makes the procedure much easier!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
I felt treated as a human because I felt heard and he was more than willing to answer my questions. He called me directly when treatments had to be postponed due to COVID.
Describe the protocols Frederick Larsen used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona and their degree of success.
My first IUI cycle consisted of 100mg Clomid. Good follicle response but lining was thin. Dr. Larsen explained this occurs for some women on Clomid so for the 2nd IUI cycle he switched the medication to Femara and started me on estrogen suppositories to help thicken the lining. This only helped thicken the lining a little. For the 3rd cycle, Dr. Larsen changed up the start day of the Femara and continued with the estrogen. Progesterone suppositories were prescribed the day after each IUI procedure and continued until pregnancy test. He assured me that my thinner lining should not necessarily prevent a pregnancy. No success with IUI but felt Dr. Larsen tailored his approach to my individual needs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The nursing staff are wonderful! They are responsive, patient, organized, and very knowledgeable. I always felt comfortable and it was nice to see familiar faces at each visit to the office.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Each IUI cycle was about $1,000. A little more for the first cycle which included some diagnostic testing. Upcoming IVF was quoted at almost $15k and about $4k for medications.
Describe Frederick Larsen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Dr. Larsen educated me on the risks of multiple embryo transfers. He recommended eSET for me, especially because I have a thinner lining, which would have a harder time supporting multiple embryos. This makes sense and I will follow his recommendation.
Mesa

Dr Larsen always gave us the validation that no question was too small, too unimportant, or too stupid....We started with unmedicated IUI's as I had no pre-existing issues that we knew about. After 2 failed cycles, I had an HSG to check my fallopian tubes and found a filling defect in my uterus. Dr Larsen performed a sonohistogram the following week and saw several polyps or fibroids in my uterus. He was very honest and candid with his recommendation to proceed with a hysteroscopy to remove them, as he felt this could be why I had not gotten pregnant yet. After the hysteroscopy I wanted to try 1 more unmedicated cycle, which he agreed was perfectly reasonable. That IUI resulted in a pregnancy, but unfortunately ended in a missed miscarriage. As I explained above, his care an
The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] feels very strongly that eSET is a safer and more effective approach than multiple embryo transfers...The strength of AFC is definitely how they treat their patients. Everyone greets you with a smile and calls you by name. My spouse and I felt so supported and encouraged by the receptionists and nurses, and we really felt that they were rooting for us to get pregnant...Each visit, I was always greeted by first name and recognized as a returning client. At no point did I have to retell details or "my story" as Dr. Larson always was up to date with my most current statues. Specifically, when I ended up in the hospital with a ruptured ectopic pregnancy Dr. Larson checked in on both myself and my spouse several times to see how we were doing, which was on a weekend, during his time off.
Dr. Larsen approached me as a patient but made me feel as though I was a family member, always having my best interest at heart. While he always shared both risks and benefits, his knowledge and talent put me at ease with every decision I made. At no point did Dr. Larsen make me feel forced into a decision; he showed support and empathy during all of our interactions. When I experienced my miscarriage, Dr. Larsen showed an incredible amount of empathy, reminding me over and over that it was nothing I did wrong. After he discovered the baby had no heartbeat and it would not be a viable pregnancy, Dr. Larsen said to take as much time as I needed in the room but then wanted to meet with myself and my spouse before I left. Being able to talk with him right after such tragic news was comforting to myself and my spouse. He went above and beyond to check on me while I miscarried at home from a physical, emotional and mental perspective. While having a miscarriage is a lonely experience, I felt Dr. Larsen was always available for any questions or concerns I had.
Don't be afraid to ask anything! Even the questions that seem unimportant or that you feel you should already know the answer to, Dr Larsen always gave us the validation that no question was too small, too unimportant, or too stupid.
We started with unmedicated IUI's as I had no pre-existing issues that we knew about. After 2 failed cycles, I had an HSG to check my fallopian tubes and found a filling defect in my uterus. Dr Larsen performed a sonohistogram the following week and saw several polyps or fibroids in my uterus. He was very honest and candid with his recommendation to proceed with a hysteroscopy to remove them, as he felt this could be why I had not gotten pregnant yet. After the hysteroscopy I wanted to try 1 more unmedicated cycle, which he agreed was perfectly reasonable. That IUI resulted in a pregnancy, but unfortunately ended in a missed miscarriage. As I explained above, his care and compassion throughout that process was incredible. My spouse and I felt so supported. Once healed emotionally and physically, we did 3 medicated IUI cycles with Clomid. Dr Larsen adjusted the Clomid dose appropriately each time to target the recommended number of follicles. After each failed cyle I would return more discouraged than before, but he always remained honest and optimistic. After those failed cycles I asked him if it was worth checking for polyps again, and he agreed that while they usually wait 9 months to a year to check, there were no other clear reasons why I was not getting pregnant so he felt it was a good idea. Sure enough, I had more polyps, and Dr Larsen performed my second hysteroscopy. This was in December, and he was so mindful of finances and a huge advocate for getting me in before the end of the year before my deductible and out-of-pocket started over. Our 7th IUI after that was another Clomid cycle that resulted in a positive pregnancy, but ended as a ruptured ectopic pregnancy at 5 weeks. We did a follow-up visit with him a few weeks later, where he gave us his opinion that IVF should be our next step. Knowing that the cost and process of IVF was a known fear of mine, he did not push us AT ALL to make that decision, and even said that he would agree to one or two more IUI's if that's what we wanted to do. Because of our trust in Dr Larsen and the clinic, we are looking forward to confidently moving forward with IVF in the next few weeks.
AFC is very unique in that you see a doctor at every single visit, and they are the ones performing all ultrasounds and any other procedures. With that said, the nurses were always friendly, helpful, and remembered us each time. Whenever I called with a question for the clinical staff, they would always check with the doctor to make sure what they were telling me was correct.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic feels very strongly that eSET is a safer and more effective approach than multiple embryo transfers.
Scottsdale
the protocols were pretty standard [with Dr. Frederick Larsen]. They checked in on our progress every other day and changed any necessary doses or medications. Both the retrieval and transfer were successful and I think that's because our doctor knew what he was doing...listened to every concern and always answered our questions thoroughly, unlike the other doctors in the clinic. He was patient and we could tell he genuinely cared about the outcome. He was invested in our success like a family member.
Our doctor [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] was opposed to transferring two due to an increased chance of complications. However, we were adamant about transferring two. He reviewed all of the dangers with us, but respected our decision and allowed us to do so...They were more costly than the first clinic we tried, but it was worth every penny. They saw us so often and did so much that it didn't feel like a waste.
Dr. Larsen listened to every concern and always answered our questions thoroughly, unlike the other doctors in the clinic. He was patient and we could tell he genuinely cared about the outcome. He was invested in our success like a family member.
Be your own advocate. If there's something you don't agree with or understand, bring it to their attention! They'll accommodate you.
Most of the time, I felt like the clinic staff knew me and treated me really well. Occasionally, I would have to see another doctor. When it came to retrieval and transfer, they clumped all the patients together for dates and that's when it felt like we were a number.
I can't remember all the specifics but the protocols were pretty standard. They checked in on our progress every other day and changed any necessary doses or medications. Both the retrieval and transfer were successful and I think that's because our doctor knew what he was doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona. (Assigned nurse: Gabrielle)
Everyone was very kind and welcoming. They always acted professionally and many knew my name by the end of our treatment.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The only weakness I can think of is that occasionally there were only appointment spots in Mesa or Gilbert so I had to drive to different locations. I also didn't love seeing the other doctors. The biggest strength is that I always felt safe and in good hands.
Our doctor was opposed to transferring two due to an increased chance of complications. However, we were adamant about transferring two. He reviewed all of the dangers with us, but respected our decision and allowed us to do so.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
A couple times I called the clinic about results because I wanted to make sure to catch them before they closed. It sounded like they were still getting back to calls at the time so it's possible they were going to call me after hours.
Scottsdale

My experiences with Dr. Larsen were all positive. He was really clear when he performed ultrasounds, describing exactly what he was seeing, and making casual conversation. When I had questions he gave really clear answers...I did 3 rounds of ovulation induction and timed intercourse. 2 were with Clomid and a trigger injection, but it thinned my uterine lining too much. The 3rd round was with Femara and a trigger injection and that's when I finally got pregnant.
The fact that I got to see a doc at every visit [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] was really reassuring...The nursing staff always seemed nice to me. They trained me to do my injection and there was always someone available to quickly answer any questions I sent on the patient portal...Each round of ovulation induction was around $500-600. I did also have an HSG and saline sonohystogram, which cost around $1500 total.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
The fact that I got to see a doc at every visit was really reassuring. Dr. Larsen was super friendly and willing to answer all questions.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
This clinic didn't feel "too big" to me. Some places in suburban Phoenix feel very corporate and big and I just feel like one of many. Here I felt like I knew the staff. I felt like they remembered me and always treated me with kindness.

2020, Consult
Dr. Larsen was very personable and easy to talk to...I didn’t get far into my treatment due to Covid-19...He took the time to answer all of my questions and talked about the research he knew about, treatments he used, and why he was recommending the treatment plan that he did...He was always available and a great source of knowledge.
[nurse of Advanced Fertility Care] would transfer me to Dr. Larsen if she didn’t have an answer...The phone consult was $300...The one thing I didn’t like was that they don’t have a patient portal to upload documents into...Dr. Larsen was very personable and easy to talk to. He was very knowledgeable...He took the time to answer all of my questions
I didn’t get far into my treatment with Dr. Larsen due to Covid-19, but I enjoyed the times I had dealt with him and his office. He was patient, answered all of my questions and was easy to talk to. He took the time to answer all of my questions and talked about the research he knew about, treatments he used, and why he was recommending the treatment plan that he did.
I don’t have any advice. He was very easy to talk to and available when I had questions.
Dr. Larsen was very personable and easy to talk to. He was very knowledgeable and, there were times that I would talk to the nurse and she would transfer me to Dr. Larsen if she didn’t have an answer. He was always available and a great source of knowledge.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
It was easy to schedule a consultation and I don’t believe it took too long to have my phone consult (I live in another state). My care was assigned to one nurse which I liked. The one thing I didn’t like was that they don’t have a patient portal to upload documents into. Instead you have to email them which isn’t as secure.
The phone consult was $300.
Phoenix

My dosages were adjusted [by Dr. Kummer] based on monitoring. I then used a Lupron trigger instead of an HCG trigger in order to prevent OHSS. I ended up having 8 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, and 4 made it to the blastocyst stage...never ever treated us like a number. Every time we saw her, she took her time, got to know us as people (not just patients), and truly cared about us. In addition, all care was personalized to us, not just a standard "we will do this".
We did PGS testing [at Advanced Fertility Care] and 3 were normal. The cycle was a freeze all. Approximately 6 weeks after IVF we did a frozen embryo transfer with one embryo...The whole staff, including all nurses, assistants, and secretaries, at the clinic was amazing! Sandy, the IVF coordinator, was so sweet. I called her multiple times after hours and she never ever sounded frustrated with my questions...Our IVF cycle with PGS and ICSI was approximately $16,525.
How was your experience with Nicole Kummer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
We met with Dr. Kummer after switching from another local clinic that was unwilling to do the same protocol with us that was successful with our son 3 years earlier. From the moment she started talking with us, my husband and I knew that we had found the perfect fit for us to continue our journey. Since we already knew our diagnosis, we moved straight to an IUI. Dr. Kummer made it pretty clear that because of my diagnosis, an IUI with oral medications would be our best option, not using injectables. After a failed IUI, not at all her fault, I sat down with Dr. Kummer, and we decided that IVF was our best option. Continuing to do IUIs did not make much sense to us financially. However, Dr. Kummer NEVER pushed us to IVF. I'm so grateful for that. Moving to IVF is a large decision, and I'm happy we came to that on our own with her support. We had some bumps during our IVF cycle, and Dr. Kummer was so great at communicating with me and helping me to be less anxious. She understood my anxieties and didn't make me feel like I was stupid or irrational, instead just took the time to reassure and show compassion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Kummer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Ask her any questions that you have! She will not hide stuff from you and won't judge you. She is great at explaining and taking time to discuss everything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Kummer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Dr. Kummer never ever treated us like a number. Every time we saw her, she took her time, got to know us as people (not just patients), and truly cared about us. In addition, all care was personalized to us, not just a standard "we will do this". She was honest with us about what she thought would get us the best results, and also cared about our feelings. She is truly a gem in the fertility world!
Describe the protocols Nicole Kummer used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona and their degree of success.
My IUI cycle was 5 mg days 5-9, then monitored, and using stair step method with 5mg for five more days. Resulted in only one follicle. Negative pregnancy test. My IVF cycle was a mix of Gonal-F, Menopur, and Ganirelix. My dosages were adjusted based on monitoring. I then used a Lupron trigger instead of an HCG trigger in order to prevent OHSS. I ended up having 8 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, and 4 made it to the blastocyst stage. We did PGS testing and 3 were normal. The cycle was a freeze all. Approximately 6 weeks after IVF we did a frozen embryo transfer with one embryo. For this, I started with estrogen patches, then added estrogen pills based on my blood work. 5 days before transfer, we started progesterone in oil injections. Medicine is then continued until week 10. The transfer was successful!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
The whole staff, including all nurses, assistants, and secretaries, at the clinic was amazing! Sandy, the IVF coordinator, was so sweet. I called her multiple times after hours and she never ever sounded frustrated with my questions. She also had to do a lot of reassuring for me! The other nurses and staff were SO great, too. They were always happy and outgoing when they saw me and would help to comfort me after some tough ultrasounds. It truly felt like family. I wish I could go there for my whole pregnancy!
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
A huge strength to this clinic is that you see a doctor at EVERY visit! This is not typical, but is SO important to me and my husband. A doctor performs every ultrasound and is able to tell you what they are thinking right then. In addition, it really makes you feel that they care about you more instead of just being a number. I really can't think of any weaknesses. There are three doctors at the clinic, and you will likely see them all. Dr. Kummer and Dr. Larsen are a bit more specific and compassionate in their explanations. They take a lot of time with you. My experience with Dr. Z was that he was more blunt and not as descriptive, often causing me more anxiety than needed. Once you see all three, try to schedule around your preferred provider(s).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Kummer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Our IVF cycle with PGS and ICSI was approximately $16,525.
Describe Nicole Kummer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Advanced Fertility Care doctor strongly encourage, but do not mandate, an eSET.
Nicole Kummer

Embryo Freezing
Dr. Larsen has always had a warm and welcome approach to care. Part of that is making sure he explains all that he sees (specifically explaining what we’re looking at on ultrasound in plain/ non-medical terminology). I never felt rushed and have always been given the opportunity to ask questions whether it be in an exam room or in his office. I particularly like that the doctor does the ultrasound themselves and has a lot of personal time with the patients.
The overall experience [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] is comforting. The doctors exceed my expectations every time, the lobby of the offices are beautiful and welcoming, the IVF coordinators are great resources- they truly are amazing. The nurses are friendly and assist the doctors in the room in case you have any gender concerns with a male doctor. Everyone is professional, friendly, and always smiling. To prevent feeling overwhelmed, bring a notepad, a list of questions relating to your diagnosis, treatment plan, cost, etc, and most importantly, your spouse. You aren’t alone, ever. Many of us are walking alongside you fighting the same or similar battle.
I conceived my daughter under the care of this clinic, primarily with another doctor but due to location preference, I see Dr. Larsen more now. He is definitely more blunt than the other doctor I see but his approach isn’t offensive. He doesn’t hide the truth or leave out details. I may take offense if I were a first time patient though. Overall, he provides the care I am looking for and always has a smile on his face with a positive outlook and plan. I recently recommended him to a friend in need of a fertility doctor.
He has a faster-pace/ higher energy than some of the other doctors there but by no means does he rush you. As a first time patient it may seem like he is but believe me, I have asked him lots and lots of questions and they were thoroughly answered. Arrive prepared with questions. If you think of a question after you leave, ask a nurse on your patient portal or give the office a call. They are very responsive and if it’s too elaborate to relay a message, sometimes the doctor himself will return the call.
I am preparing for an egg retrieval for embryo preservation. I am on Microsose Lupron, Menopur, Gonal-F and will take a Hcg trigger shot 36 hours before retrieval. These are all injectables so I was overwhelmed when they arrived, however, the clinic sets you up for an injection teaching appointment where they show you how to mix all of them into one so you only take one shot vs 3. I have to do this 2 times daily and go to the clinic for blood draws and ultrasounds to monitor how the eggs are maturing for retrieval. I am confident in their estimated timing for trigger at this office since I’ve had to do the trigger shot to conceive my daughter and we were successful very quickly.
The nursing staff is pleasant and always happy. My only complaint is they don’t seem organized. When I call with questions relating to an IVF cycle, different people answer and provide different answers. For example, one told me I haven’t been off of birth control long enough to start a cycle while another told me to stop it on a specific date. They aren’t consistent and I personally go to the IVF coordinator for questions since she is always consistent.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The overall experience is comforting. The doctors exceed my expectations every time, the lobby of the offices are beautiful and welcoming, the IVF coordinators are great resources- they truly are amazing. The nurses are friendly and assist the doctors in the room in case you have any gender concerns with a male doctor. Everyone is professional, friendly, and always smiling. To prevent feeling overwhelmed, bring a notepad, a list of questions relating to your diagnosis, treatment plan, cost, etc, and most importantly, your spouse. You aren’t alone, ever. Many of us are walking alongside you fighting the same or similar battle.
$8,239. My insurance was in-network and covered some of the office visit. We knew the Natera genetic screening was optional and billed outside but had no idea it would be $3,000. Medications are also billed outside, $1,200. The doctors office collects their portion upfront before you start your cycle, pharmacy calls for payment before they overnight meds and the genetic lab needs payment before your results will be released to your doctor.
Both doctors I’ve seen in this office prefer single embryo transfer, unless the patient has strong desire for multiple. They explain the rational and ultimately let you decide but are confident in their approach and the lower risk associated with one.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
I stress this- always ask a doctor or IVF coordinator specific questions. The nurses go off of the experiences they are “used to” within the office but everyone is different. The IVF coordinator or doctor will go back through your chart and provide information tailored to you.
Mesa

Dr. Larsen has always made us feel extremely comfortable with our treatment and every doctor visit. He made sure that we knew we were important and our treatment was important to him. Regardless of how many times, we have been at the doctors office, he was always ready to try a new approach regarding medication when it was necessary...From the very first visit, he took time to talk to us about everything and assured us that we will have a baby, we just needed to determine what course of treatment we needed but that it would happen.
The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] is clean, organized, and filled with kind and compassionate staff. Upon walking in, you are greeted and can instantly feel the warmth of everyone around. All staff is encouraging and positive during visits...[The nursing staff is] Always kind and compassionate. Very positive...Initial testing cost about $1200. Each iui cycle cost $925 but does not include medication. Menopur injections for 3 days cost $100. Novarel trigger shot cost $89. Progesterone suppositories cost $100. 3 days of Gonal f injections cost $340.
Our experience with Dr. Larsen has been the absolute best! From the very first visit, he took time to talk to us about everything and assured us that we will have a baby, we just needed to determine what course of treatment we needed but that it would happen. One of the fondest memories I have with Dr. Larsen was when he shared his thoughts on pregnancy and how he felt it truly was a miracle and not an easy thing. That was very important for me to hear. As a woman who sees friends and acquaintances getting pregnant so easily, it can be hard. But that one comment made me feel that my miracle would be here soon. He has always made us feel comfortable at all of our appointments. He explained what was happening and sent good wishes at the end of each iui. I am beyond grateful that we have Dr. Larsen in our lives helping us to bring a miracle blessing into this world.
Trust him and trust the process. Ask any and all questions. He is truly the best!
We started with initial testing. After everything came back clear, we began treatment for an IUI. I started with 100mg for 5 days. After my follicle check, I would give myself a trigger shot then we would go in for the iui. After each procedure, I would take 100mg of progesterone suppositories for 2 weeks until I went in for blood work to determine results. After the first unsuccessful procedure he increased my dosage to 150mg for 5 days which was also unsuccessful. I then began a mini stem iui and started giving myself injections after 5days of 150mg of clomid. I was injecting myself with menupur for 3 days. After that unsuccessful round, we tried again for the 4th iui. This time I did 3 injections and when I went in for my follicle check he felt it was best to do another injection in hopes of letting my follicles grow bigger before the iui procedure. Unfortunately that round was also unsuccessful. We just completed our fifth and final iui cycle. I took another round of clomid but this time did gonal f injections for 3 days. I went in for my follicle check and Dr. Larsen felt it was necessary to do another 3 days of gonal f injections. Afterward we saw success with follicle growth. I went home and gave myself the trigger shot the following day. We went in for the iui and will find out on Friday if I am pregnant.
Always kind and compassionate. Very positive
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic is clean, organized, and filled with kind and compassionate staff. Upon walking in, you are greeted and can instantly feel the warmth of everyone around. All staff is encouraging and positive during visits.
Mesa

The nursing staff [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] was always friendly, thorough, and helpful... with the second IUI we never heard anything from the clinic (so we assumed everything was fine), when we came in for the insemination we were told that the doctor was in a meeting...and a nurse practitioner would perform it instead, and then we only found out the extremely low numbers from the second IUIs sperm sample after our negative pregnancy test (when I asked about it). That lack of communication the second time around was very disappointing. A few months after our failed IUIs we were lucky to find out that my husband’s company’s insurance had great coverage for all infertility testing and treatment. When
Dr. Kummer made sure we were always fully informed of our treatment options, the success rates, the cost, and how many times we could stay with our current treatment before it would make the most sense to move on. She presented all the information by talking through it in the clinical way and then breaking it down to explain in further detail what it meant for us with our specific diagnosis, male factor. As she was breaking down our treatment options she used our results from our diagnostic testing to break down the different procedures and success rates using visuals as she explained. Knowing we had a lower chance of success with IUI, but knowing the financial leap it would be to go straight to IVF, she did a great job counseling us on how many times to try IUI upfront. During our first cycle the numbers for our sperm count was not ideal for IUI and Dr. Kummer did a fantastic job delivering that news in a way that presented us with the options for such a delicate situation. My husband was able to come back in prior to the IUI to produce another sample to help improve our numbers (unfortunately it was still unsuccessful). When we came in for the actual procedure she conveyed that although our numbers were on the lower side for what they like for IUI they would be perfect for IVF, but if this round was unsuccessful one (maybe two) more tries at IUI could possibly work. I loved that she was realistic and was there to support our decisions through this process. It was comforting that she was giving us insight using our results from these failed cycles to help inform the decisions we were making for what to do next. We could tell that Dr. Kummer wanted the best results for us and was there to support our treatment decisions without pushing for going straight to IVF or doing countless rounds of IUI. Once we had our second round of IUI that was unsuccessful we made the decision to pause our treatment as we save the money for IVF. When we reached out to Dr. Kummer she was so wonderful as she gave us some next step information, answering our financial questions (so we could come up with a plan specific to our needs), and let us know that if we had any questions we could always arrange an in person meeting to go over them. As a patient the experience was always positive and I always felt like I could reach out with any questions or concerns that came up.
One piece of advice I would give a prospective patient is to expect that you may not see Dr. Kummer every time you come in, the way the clinic is structured you will be seen by the other two doctors as well. They are all wonderful, so it was never an issue for us, but if you are expecting to only see Dr. Kummer for every appointment that is not necessarily the case.
Dr. Kummer always made sure that we were informed on all the specifics of our treatments, including our odds for success, delivered in a way that conveyed that she really cared about our outcomes. She always made sure her delivery was in a way that was both caring, but straight to the facts (which is exactly how we liked the information). She was upfront with our success rates for both IUI and IVF, but never pushed for us to go in a certain way. She laid out the facts and gave us input to help us weigh both of the options from a monetary and medical standpoint. Even though her time was precious (as it is with these appointments/doctors) she never made us feel rushed and was always available to answer our questions in person, on the phone, or through email.
I did two rounds of medicated IUI cycles using Clomid and a trigger shot. Throughout both cycles I was on levothyroxine to bring my slightly elevated TSH levels into the desired range for pregnancy. The first round we used 50 mg dosage of Clomid (starting on day 3), 5000 units of Novarel, and 100 mg progesterone suppositories following the IUI. For the second round we increased the dosage of Clomid to 100 mg (starting on day 3). Both rounds were monitored and the trigger was administered when my follicles had matured to the size that was desired. (The first round my follicles were a little slower to mature, which is why the dosage for Clomid was increased.) Both rounds were unsuccessful.
The nursing staff was always friendly, thorough, and helpful. When I was nervous that I had to do my first trigger shot they were so helpful giving me a demonstration on how to do it, explained what I needed to do/where it needed to be injected, and let me practice on their demonstration thing. They were so helpful.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic's strengths would be that all of the doctors are very nice and the staff is friendly and welcoming. Having multiple doctors on staff allowed flexibility in scheduling, which was really great being a teacher and having very limited times to come in for frequent appointments (especially blood draws/monitoring appointments). Also having multiple doctors allowed for one of them to be available to do the diagnostic testing, monitoring, and IUIs at each appointment. The clinic's weaknesses were mostly on the billing side and lack of communication. During our first IUI we got a phone call from Dr. Kummer telling us that our sperm sample was very low after the wash and were given options as to how to proceed, we chose to come in and give another before the insemination to boost the numbers. (That was great, she was so amazing about that.) However, with the second IUI we never heard anything from the clinic (so we assumed everything was fine), when we came in for the insemination we were told that the doctor was in a meeting (not Dr. Kummer, one of the other doctors) and a nurse practitioner would perform it instead, and then we only found out the extremely low numbers from the second IUIs sperm sample after our negative pregnancy test (when I asked about it). That lack of communication the second time around was very disappointing. A few months after our failed IUIs we were lucky to find out that my husband’s company’s insurance had great coverage for all infertility testing and treatment. When the new year (2020) began we had an IVF consult with Dr. Zoneraich because Dr. Kummer had left the clinic between our treatments and this consult. We gave the clinic our new insurance information, but even when they called prior to the appointment to verify we complete our insurance required WINFertility consult they never mentioned that their lab was not contracted with our insurance. It was not until the end of our IVF consult when we sat down with the financial advisor that they told us that even with our insurance coverage we would be paying the majority of our treatments as self-pay because their lab is not contracted through pretty much any insurance carrier. We were not aware that this was something to even think about before it happened to us, so if you have insurance coverage call the clinic before you even go for a consult to make sure that their lab is contracted through your insurance carrier! That was a huge shock that led to us finding a new clinic that did work with our insurance completely. Just be aware that even in network providers may not use labs that are contracted through your insurance.
I believe the initial consultation was $200, diagnostic testing was around $1000, and each IUI cycle was $925 plus about $160 for medication. During that treatment time we had no insurance coverage and paid the self pay price, but going into our IVF consult we had coverage (which impacted further treatment cost/decisions). The IVF consult with insurance was about $180 I believe towards our deductible.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
On my first round of IUI the clinic did not send in my prescription for Clomid to the pharmacy. This issue was quickly resolved when I called the clinic though. They did apologize for the mix up and the issue was resolved immediately.
Nicole Kummer
2014 - 2019, Successful
Dr Larsen has an amazing bedside manner. He is patient, thoughtful and kind...He is so personable. I’m always feel like he has my best interest at heart. When I had an ectopic pregnancy, he even have me his cell number should I have an emergency situation. I sometimes have to see other drs in the office and I don’t feel like they are as thorough, patient or clear as he is...Don’t be reluctant to ask any questions of him-he will answer and you will he content with his answers.
I have had the most experience with Bethany [nurse at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona]. I found her to be curt and insensitive...Each IUI cycle costs about $1500 when you factor drugs into the equation...This doesn’t include costs associated with testing...It is beautiful and comfortable. I feel like they have the most high tech and new equipment and procedures. I like that they have multiple locations. I’ve always been able to get appointments easily.
Dr Larsen has an amazing bedside manner. He is patient, thoughtful and kind.
Clomid 150 mg every cycle Trigger shot every cycle Once I used an additoinal injectable butni can’t remember which one Frozen sperm (my husband’s) IUI
I have had the most experience with Bethany. I found her to be curt and insensitive.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Each IUI cycle costs about $1500 when you factor drugs into the equation. 5x1500 is $7500. This doesn’t include costs associated with testing.
Mesa
The doctor [Dr. Frederick Larsen] is very knowledgeable and I felt very confident with his work. He went over my test results and went over all the possibilities I have very strong confidence that this doctor will help me and I really felt like he really cares about his patients... The treatment for me was to start off with testing my husband and just doing general testing so we can move forward with the fertility
The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care of AZ- Phoenix] was absolutely beautiful very clean and very inviting and warm. I felt very comfortable there and would definitely recommend this clinic if somebody needs . The front desk lady was super nice and helpful... Considering that I don’t have insurance I thought their cash price discount was very generous... The nurses were very nice
The doctor is very knowledgeable and I felt very confident with his work. He went over my test results and went over all the possibilities I have very strong confidence that this doctor will help me and I really felt like he really cares about his patients
Just keep doing what you’re doing
Very warm person and very detailed about his work and just felt very comfortable
The nurses were very nice
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic was absolutely beautiful very clean and very inviting and warm. I felt very comfortable there and would definitely recommend this clinic if somebody needs . The front desk lady was super nice and helpful
Phoenix
He [Dr. Larsen] had good bedside manner and made me feel comfortable with each ultrasound. After multiple failed iui's both my husband and I needed to go to the next step ivf. His clinic did not have any financial ways to help finance or pay for treatments. When we left to go elsewhere, we never got a call from him asking us what next steps we would like to to take. I just wanted to feel valued from him. You get attached to your fertility doctors because you feel like you are on the dame team trying to get the main goal. When you feel like your just a number its hard to establish roots in a practice.
The nurses [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] were kind it was just hard to get their scheduling staff to schedule appointments for me. They were not flexible on times and knew that I worked at 7- 4 pm job. Making appointments was so stressful...There were no financing or monthly payments that could be made. We had to look elsewhere and we found a clinic that was reasonable...there are two locations which make it nice for patients to travel through AZ. The facility is nicely decorated and is very professional. The weakness is making appointments is a challenge for working professionals. If you do not have a job and you are flexible with times than this clinic may be right for you.
Dr. Larsen was a great communicator. He had good bedside manner and made me feel comfortable with each ultrasound. After multiple failed iui's both my husband and I needed to go to the next step ivf. His clinic did not have any financial ways to help finance or pay for treatments. When we left to go elsewhere, we never got a call from him asking us what next steps we would like to to take. I just wanted to feel valued from him. You get attached to your fertility doctors because you feel like you are on the dame team trying to get the main goal. When you feel like your just a number its hard to establish roots in a practice.
If you have money and time he was a good doctor. I can't say anything negative about his bedside manner. His practice is pricy, but if you can afford 25,000 for ivy treatment out of pocket it may be a good place for you.
Dr. Larson has good bedside manners and was friendly with my husband and I. The IUI's were just not working for my husband and I. However, after the final failed treatment he never called us and asked us how we were doing. I wish he would have taken more concern with us and wanted to keep us as patients. We ended up going to another dr. to start ivy treatments at a more reasonable price this his clinic. I wish Dr. Larsen would have reached out since both my husband and I did like his bed side manner.
The nurses were kind it was just hard to get their scheduling staff to schedule appointments for me. They were not flexible on times and knew that I worked at 7- 4 pm job. Making appointments was so stressful.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The strengths is there are two locations which make it nice for patients to travel through AZ. The facility is nicely decorated and is very professional. The weakness is making appointments is a challenge for working professionals. If you do not have a job and you are flexible with times than this clinic may be right for you.
The iii's range to be $800 he gave us a little discount since my husband and I were in school. The medicine on top of that was another $250. It was expensive for one IUI cycle. We couldn't keep doing iui's only to come up with negative after negative each month. We wanted to do ivy but could not afford it at his clinic. There were no financing or monthly payments that could be made. We had to look elsewhere and we found a clinic that was reasonable for a gentle ivy cycle. We are now in the process of ivf and look forward to the results to come with our new clinic and dr.
single embryo transfer always preferred. He will scare you out of having twins so fast due to increased risk of complications.
Mesa

How was your experience with Nathaniel Zoneraich at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
I love Dr. Z! He is very candid but in a gentle way, and talks to you like you are a real person, not "just" a patient. He has a great sense of humor, and calls you directly with good news and bad news, rather than having nurses deliver messages. There are 3 doctors that rotate between the clinic locations, but Dr. Zoneraich is my favorite. I saw Dr. Larsen for a few appointments and he is a close second, he is warm and kind and takes the time to explain things in detail. I saw Dr. Kummer once at a follicle check for my IVF cycle that wasn't going well, and she was pretty blunt and negative about my chances of getting cancelled, not nearly as compassionate as Dr. Zoneraich or Dr. Larsen. I just didn't jive with her as well.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nathaniel Zoneraich at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Don't be afraid to ask about additional procedures or unconventional treatments. Dr. Zoneraich was fairly aggressive with my IVF protocol and willing to try things that "can't hurt, might help." But when I asked about the ERA test before transfer he said that he didn't suggest it for people until they'd had multiple failed transfers. When I decided I wanted to do it anyway (I'd had 1 failed transfer with another clinic) he was totally supportive and agreed to do it. Same thing with PGS testing - he suggested it for me but was not pushy at all when I declined. He's fairly conservative but willing to discuss alternatives and flexible with your preferences.
Describe the protocols Nathaniel Zoneraich used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona and their degree of success.
Because of my age (39 at the time) and previous poor response at another clinic, Dr. Zoneraich suggested a microdose Lupron flare protocol, but also wanted to add in HGH/Omnitrope in hopes that it would help with egg quality. In my previous IVF at another clinic I'd started with a decent antral count, had many follicles but few contained eggs, and was unsuccessful. My cycle with Dr. Z also started with a good antral count, but my mid-cycle follicle checks showed only 3-5 follicles growing. We discussed canceling, but Dr. Z felt we should proceed if we had at least 3, and my husband really wanted to go for it. I'm glad I listened to them, because when I came out of anesthesia they told me there were 15 eggs. I made the nurse double check because I thought she'd mixed me up with another patient! I don't know how or why they all decided to grow in the 2 days between my last scan and retrieval, but was obviously thrilled. Of the 15 retrieved, 12 were mature, 7 fertilized, and 4 made it to blast - 1 excellent and 3 good. We did the ERA test at my request and learned that I was pre-receptive by 12 hours, and planned my progesterone timing appropriately for our FET cycle. We transferred 2 embryos, which led to our first ever positive pregnancy test. Sadly our betas didn't double and we lost the pregnancy very early. Because my tests are all fine, Dr. Z and I agree that it was likely due to chromosomal abnormality due to my age, as we did not do PGS testing. However, we were all encouraged by the fact that we finally were able to achieve pregnancy. We have 2 embryos still frozen, and plan to transfer them in 2019.
My IVF coordinator/nurse Sandy is awesome. She is accessible, informative, compassionate, and stayed on top of prescriptions with my multiple pharmacies. Her IVF support nurse Bree is also very easy to get in touch with and helpful. The clinic nurses are a bit more inconsistent, and seems to be a fair amount of turnover.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Advanced Fertility Care is the 3rd clinic I've been to, and definitely my favorite. You see a doctor at every appointment, and can easily/quickly reach your doctor via phone to speak directly with them. Sherri, their embryologist, is an absolute gem. In my experience, most embryologists are very technical and not super warm, but Sherri is the perfect combination of both and talked me off the ledge multiple times. The accessibility to your team of experts at this clinic is amazing and something I didn't experience at my previous 2 clinics. I do wish they had a more consistent group of medical assistance staff - part of that is that they rotate between the 3 offices, so sometimes you'll see new faces, but they are very frequently training a new staff member. They do a great job with their injection training! My previous clinic told me to watch the videos on Freedom Pharmacy's website; these videos are great, but I would have been so much more prepared if I'd had the personalized instruction like they do here. Their cash pay rates are quite expensive, I could not afford to use AFC if I didn't have insurance, but they have been such a pleasure to work with. And while I don't have a baby in my arms yet, Dr. Z helped me achieve my first ever pregnancy, and I'm hopeful that our next transfer will be successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nathaniel Zoneraich at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Thankfully my insurance covered our IVF cycle with AFC, so our costs have been mostly limited to our deductible and out of pocket max.
Describe Nathaniel Zoneraich's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Dr. Zoneraich refers to the ASRM guidelines, and agreed with my preference to transfer 2 embryos, since I was 39 and the embryos were not PGS tested. For PGS embryos, I think he prefers single embryo transfer regardless of age group. In the "IVF packet" of paperwork given prior to your cycle, they included testimonials of a patient that had a multiple gestation and had difficulties/premature birth. They definitely want their patients informed of the risk!
Mesa
The first time we met with Dr.Z [Zoneraich] he had read our information we had sent from our previous RE but he asked us for our insight and perspective of what had happened at our previous treatments. He then asked what were our intentions and timeline for our treatment...he spent about an hour and a half with us explaining everything about testing he recommended we have done and his projected plan of treatment depending on the different outcomes of our testing. He drew diagrams and made checkoff lists for us to keep and for us to be able to refer back to after the meeting...
The office [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] helps you search through about 20+ pharmacies they have on file to help you find the cheapest price for your medications... I did not have to wait a day to get my results...All testing and lab work is done at the clinic...between $10,000-$15,000 not including the medications because of the PGS testing and the ICSI...They [nurses] helped with education and questions concerning medications
The first time we met with Dr.Z he had read our information we had sent from our previous RE but he asked us for our insight and perspective of what had happened at our previous treatments. He then asked what were our intentions and timeline for our treatment. We told him our discouragement from our previous RE and that we were there to have a baby as soon as possible. In our first appointment he spent about an hour and a half with us explaining everything about testing he recommended we have done and his projected plan of treatment depending on the different outcomes of our testing. He drew diagrams and made checkoff lists for us to keep and for us to be able to refer back to after the meeting. He answered every question we had and some we hadn’t even thought of to ask. He set us up to speak with the financial advisor based off of our concerns about when we needed to pay for each part of the treatments. At every encounter with him he was happy and personable. He would always sincerely ask how you were doing. He would remember minor details about your life and things you were going through from conversations that had nothing to do with your infertility. The next time he would see us he would ask us about things. Like how did that meeting with work go, how was your trip to see your family, or did you guys decide on what kind of puppy you want to get. He was always professional when doing any testing or exams but always had a smile and a caring concern every time he saw us. If we were there for bloodwork he would pop his head into the blood draw lab and say hello and ask how we were doing. You can tell that he knows his specialty and that he really wants to help his patients.
If you are ready to start a family as soon as possible go to Dr.Z Make sure you take all of your previous treatment records for him to be able to review. If something can be done to help you have a child, he will do everything he can to help you. He will be straight with you and will not give you false hope either.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nathaniel Zoneraich at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Everyone at Dr.Z office was friendly and kind. They would always ask you how you were doing and would remember things about you that had nothing to do with your infertility journey. For example, if the last time you were there you had mentioned you were going on a trip to see an old friend. The next time you were in the office someone would ask you how your trip was. Dr. Z is very personable and I feel he adapts his way of responding to you depending on your needs at that time.
Even though we had diagnostic testing at a previous clinic, Dr Z. Wanted to do testing of his own and he wanted to perform more thorough testing that our previous RE had not done. He then laid out our treatment plan. He believes in supplements for three months before starting Stems. He prescribed Gonal F and I forget the other medicine he had me on. The office helps you search through about 20+ pharmacies they have on file to help you find the cheapest price for your medications. Throughout my stems I had bloodwork and ultrasounds. I would go into the clinic first thing in the morning and by 2 or 3 in the afternoon the office would call me and tell me how to adjust my medication. I did not have to wait a day to get my results. During my Stems my medication dosages changed 5-6 times.
Everyone was very personable and informative. Everyone would always have a smile on their face. They helped with education and questions concerning medications. They helped with finding the best pharmacy for specific medications that were prescribed. They helped with insurance questions and issues. They helped me with FMLA paperwork (my works company is the worst for multiple forms for FMLA) The nurses had to send in paperwork 4 different times to our company and had to speak with them on the phone multiple times.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
All testing and lab work is done at the clinic. I consider this a strength but some may not like that it is all in one. Dr. Z has you sign paperwork in the beginning that acknowledges that he is disclosing the fact that he has partial ownership of the on site surgical center where your retrieval and transfer are done and he has partial ownership in the lab that does all your lab work and testing. It did not bother me that he has partial ownership but some might be concerned by this fact. I just found that by having it all in his office it allowed me to get test results back faster and it allowed Dr.Z to more closely monitor and adjust my medications. Everyone is very efficient and everything works on a strict timed out schedule. Everything runs on time and never late.
Cost all depended on what testing and procedures you required to have. If you chose to do PGS testing and ICSI. We chose to do all the testing and ICSI. It was between $10,000-$15,000 not including the medications because of the PGS testing and the ICSI and because of the number of embryos we had that survived to day 5
Dr. Z highly recommends a single embryo transfer for everyone who has PGS tested embryos. However you can choose to transfer two embryos.
Scottsdale

[at Advanced Fertility Care of AZ-Mesa] IVF for severe male factor. With ICSI and PGD testing.... Overall warm,Kind and caring. I felt so comfortable through the entire process. All staff was amazing. (Except for one nurse after my retrieval). Even the embryologist who spent at least 2,45 min phone conversations with me to discuss my embryos. She was a gem (sherry is her name) I can not recommend them enough. Also they adjusted their schedule to accommodate me so that I didn’t have to go through IVF while teaching and can have it done through summer vacation. (Was a big mixup on my part, but they worked it out for me)
Dr. Larsen is kind, patient, caring and extremely knowledgeable. I met him at a friends house who was hosting a Qand A about infertility. He was the guest speaker he volunteered what must have been 2 hours of his time to answer every single question posed to him that night. After that I made an apt to do my next IVF treatment with him. He is so incredibly kind. And when things don’t go as planned you see it pains him too. You feel like you’re in this together. He’s my 3rd IVF dr and after being treated by him I wouldn’t go anywhere else.
Come with all your questions because he will give you as much time you need to go through everything. Also if there is a religious concern bring it up to him. He will accommodate you as much he can. He has gone above and beyond for my religious needs (as a Jew) with no judgment
When I would call and say my first name they knew exactly who I was. I was given plenty of time. NEVER RUSHED
IVF for severe male factor. With ICSI and PGD testing. Based on my previous failed cycles he decided it was needed.
She was sweet. Nice. Informative. And worked with me and my needs not just their schedule
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
He is a big proponent of eSET. Really doesn’t budge unless Mother’s age or other factors
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
The nurse after retrieval forgot to mention to me that I shouldn’t put in tampons or have sex after the procedure.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
I told him [Dr. Zoneraich] I would like things to be very matter of fact and clinical and always frank and technical as much as if possible and that is how he was, I could tell he still was kind and empathetic in his approach at times which really makes me think he is able to work with a patient in their own preferred way, had I wanted a more sweet compassionate hold my hand type of doctor I think he would have been but that is not how I want things medically and especially with all the miscarriages and crap leading up to going to see him I knew I would do best with some one who would help me keep it professional and avoid more emotions as much as possible for my own composure.
if any member of staff [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] did not know an answer they worked to find out and would always follow through to make sure I was content and satisfied with their answers, and that I was taken care of in all ways...I think they [nurses] could be a little more informed about the overall procedures and protocols because there were times they had to go ask and find out answers, this is fine and they always made sure to get me answers but if there was something they could work toward it would be advisable to always be educating all the staff I would think.
I believe Dr. Zoneraich was an excellent doctor especially for me because he was very good at explaining and answering my many questions and above all he seemed responsive to me personally, I told him I would like things to be very matter of fact and clinical and always frank and technical as much as if possible and that is how he was, I could tell he still was kind and empathetic in his approach at times which really makes me think he is able to work with a patient in their own preferred way, had I wanted a more sweet compassionate hold my hand type of doctor I think he would have been but that is not how I want things medically and especially with all the miscarriages and crap leading up to going to see him I knew I would do best with some one who would help me keep it professional and avoid more emotions as much as possible for my own composure.
I would say let him know your expectations up front, as much as possible be open with him about; what you want, what you know and what you hope to learn, how you want the experience to go, how you prefer to be treated/talked to- honestly it might sound odd but basically if you want things sugar coated and or broached very carefully or just frank and more scientifically/medically direct.
Dr. Z and his staff were responsive not only to the physical clinical stuff but also my personality, I ask a lot of questions and had done, and continue to, a lot of research which I am sure can be annoying to them but they never made me feel that way, never felt rushed or as if they were being dismissive but always listened to and if any member of staff did not know an answer they worked to find out and would always follow through to make sure I was content and satisfied with their answers, and that I was taken care of in all ways.
We have retrieved eggs, from one of my sisters, and fertilized them with my spouse and frozen the embryos but I haven’t done any implantations yet, we are saving up again for that second phase.
I think they could be a little more informed about the overall procedures and protocols because there were times they had to go ask and find out answers, this is fine and they always made sure to get me answers but if there was something they could work toward it would be advisable to always be educating all the staff I would think.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
They were always good about answering the phone calls or getting right back to me and getting the answers I needed/wanted. I think they could be better at their descriptions/explainations of the financials, it didn’t feel deceptive or misleading but more just like they could be more formalized and have all options planned out- just a little more organized with some of the business side of this stuff.
We spent about 3-5k going through testing to find out why we had recurrent pregnancy losses, and then just over 17k to get my sister ready for being an egg donor and then retrieving fertilizing and freezing
Dr. Z has said he would recommend one but we can discuss doing two once we get closer to that point.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
I saw Dr Larsen almost every visit never just a nurse. After every failed attempt he would take the time to personally call and discuss the next step and options. He is very knowledgeable and stays up to date on the latest treatments and research... If you have an hashimotos that is a factor with infertility he may not be your best choice. He doesn’t believe your auto immune condition has any impact on your fertility if your tsh is ok.
Cost was he biggest factor, we are 100% cash pay and they [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] are pricier than a lot of places...They have a great billing staff they will do all they can to get authorizations and things covered for you...They are all very kind and never leave you with questions unanswered. If it’s aomething they can’t answer they will follow up with you after talking with the doctor...One egg retrieval including icsi and anesthesia was over $12,000 not including meds or genetic testing.
The front office staff greets you by name and even remember where I work and what I do. It has been a rough 4 years but the staff and doctors are always so caring and never make you feel like you are just a customer. Many have similar experiences and understand the heartache involved and can relate on a whole different level.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Cost was he biggest factor, we are 100% cash pay and they are pricier than a lot of places. I honestly believe you get what you pay for in this type of situation so we have stuck with the clinic. They have a great billing staff they will do all they can to get authorizations and things covered for you.
Scottsdale

Dr z [Nathaniel Zoneraich] is amazing. He made me feel so good throughout this trying process. I am a type A planner and he was willing to talk to us through all of my questions and what ifs. He also worked with our schedules and helped us find care with other doctors that was necessary for testing. He is realistic and gives you facts that are necessary to make decisions.
[Advanced Fertility Care of AZ- Mesa is] Very clean and modern. The waiting time is usually very minimal... the offices look the same so it is nice to have consistency. The nurses even rotate offices. They give watervabd other drink choices while you wait.... The ladies are so friendly and so helpful. I get answers right away from the portal which is a blessing. I've even used the nurse on call and she was amazing
Dr z is amazing. He made me feel so good throughout this trying process. I am a type A planner and he was willing to talk to us through all of my questions and what ifs. He also worked with our schedules and helped us find care with other doctors that was necessary for testing. He is realistic and gives you facts that are necessary to make decisions.
To think positive thoughts and trust in the process.
He is always so happy and cheerful and answers my millions of questions with patience
My treatment included 5 days of clomid.... baby aspirin.... then the hcg trigger shot (novarel). After iui I am taking progesterone suppositories and baby aspirin
I am paying 995 per iui cycle not including medications
Mesa
I felt judge by [Dr. Zoneraich]...My partner and I were considering IVF with him and he made us feel terrible for wanting to choose the gender of our first baby (his clinic only allows you to choose the gender of you already have children). He made it seem like this is a common practice across clinics. I understand that everyone has different beliefs about the ethics of selecting gender, we weren’t asking him to change the clinics policy, but did not appreciate his judgement of our differing beliefs...did explain treatments well in consultations and had a lot of information. I didn’t always see him during my monitoring they other doctors were capable and nice, but it felt a little impersonal.
The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] is very organized. You rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes. All their financial and treatment information is very organized, clear, and easily disseminated. The office is very clean. I really liked the TV screens that show you the ultrasound screen...clinic only allows you to choose the gender of you already have children...The nursing staff was very organized and kind...Single embryo transfer only
I felt judge by Dr. Z. My partner and I were considering IVF with him and he made us feel terrible for wanting to choose the gender of our first baby (his clinic only allows you to choose the gender of you already have children). He made it seem like this is a common practice across clinics. I understand that everyone has different beliefs about the ethics of selecting gender, we weren’t asking him to change the clinics policy, but did not appreciate his judgement of our differing beliefs.
Dr. Z did explain treatments well in consultations and had a lot of information. I didn’t always see him during my monitoring they other doctors were capable and nice, but it felt a little impersonal.
IUI Monitored cycle Novarel trigger shot
The nursing staff was very organized and kind.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic is very organized. You rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes. All their financial and treatment information is very organized, clear, and easily disseminated. The office is very clean. I really liked the TV screens that show you the ultrasound screen.
Single embryo transfer only
Scottsdale
Dr. Larsen took time and special care in our consultation before and after diagnostics and during our Clomid with IUI procedure. He has good bedside manner and appears understanding, honest, and compassionate...was thorough in explaining all options, risks, and timelines. He was compassionate and understanding in all interactions. I feel that I can trust him...1 cycle of IUI with Clomid. Added progesterone mid way through cycle, after IUI procedure, based on monitoring.
They [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] were friendly, accommodating, and informative overall. The front office staff was not cold, but could have been slightly more friendly when greeting us. My husband was uncomfortable with people talking outside the room when giving sperm sample...Dr. Larsen took time and special care in our consultation before and after diagnostics and during our Clomid with IUI procedure. He has good bedside manner
Dr. Larsen was thorough in explaining all options, risks, and timelines. He was compassionate and understanding in all interactions. I feel that I can trust him. We did IUI with Clomid through Dr. Larsen.
Ask lots of questions.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
They were friendly, accommodating, and informative overall. The front office staff was not cold, but could have been slightly more friendly when greeting us. My husband was uncomfortable with people talking outside the room when giving sperm sample.
Mesa

[Dr. Zoneraich] encourages eSET for PGS embryos and even has a packet with a story of a patient who begged him to transfer 2 PGS embryos and she ended up with triplets and it was a rough go for her (her words) in the beginning...personally called me with my pregnancy results and would always call back within the hour if he was on call and I needed anything after hours. He outlined a very personalized plan for me that ended up turning out exactly how he predicted.
I had a subchorionic hemorrhage and bled every week until I was 18 weeks pregnant. Sandy [nurse at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] was always available to discuss this and made me feel better without over-exaggerating that things would turn out ok...Everything is cutting edge and perfectly coordinated. Even though I am an RN, the injection teaching was very helpful and the staff made sure to go over everything with me and were all always very professional. Costs were always discussed ahead of time and were never a surprise.
I feel Dr. Z is extremely up-to-date with effective IVF protocols and does not waste your time or money with extra “fluff” that hasn’t been proven to work. As an RN myself who works in an area that encounters other women who have gone through IVF with other doctors, I really felt that Dr. Z and his protocol was very personalized and evidence-based. He did give me 3 options at the start and I initially was going to do IUI but I had 5 mature follicles and I was scared to chance the risk of multiples. I was also surprised that I had that many follicles with my diagnosis of probably early diminished ovarian reserve. I was scared that I wouldn’t produce enough follicles. When I decided to do IVF because I felt like Inhadnmore control, I was astonished to have at least 10 mature follicles for each ovary during my scan. I asked how this was possible with my low AMH but they said they would rather see me have a high AFC with an low AMH than a normal AMH and a low AFC. My AMH was 1.15 at age 34. At my egg retrieval I ended up with 24 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 14 fertilized (conventional), 6 made it to day 6 and 3 were normal via PGS. We transferred one embryo and are blessed with a beautiful baby girl.
Have faith in the process and do everything in your power to follow the protocol exactly.
Dr. Z personally called me with my pregnancy results and would always call back within the hour if he was on call and I needed anything after hours. He outlined a very personalized plan for me that ended up turning out exactly how he predicted.
I don’t specifically remember but I know I used birth control, lupron, Menopur, Gonal-F, Pregnyl trigger, estrogen patches, PIO injections and progesterone suppositories. I also used a prenatal vitamin, aspirin 81 mg and abstained from all caffeine until my second trimester.
I had a subchorionic hemorrhage and bled every week until I was 18 weeks pregnant. Sandy was always available to discuss this and made me feel better without over-exaggerating that things would turn out ok.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Insurance at the time covered $5000 of any fertility treatment and I paid around $14,000 for my IVF cycle (some of that was included in the $5k because all I did prior was Clomid and monitoring because I decided not to do IUi). My medications were around $5000.
Dr. Z encourages eSET for PGS embryos and even has a packet with a story of a patient who begged him to transfer 2 PGS embryos and she ended up with triplets and it was a rough go for her (her words) in the beginning.
Mesa

Dr Zoneraich was a nice person and was always honest with me. Sometimes, he tend to emphasize on the worse possible outcome a little too much and this would frustrate me and make me feel less confident, but he needed to prepare me in case if it was not going to work...He was also honest all along the way. Sometimes I felt rushed as the follow-up appointments were literally 2 minutes long....Dr Zoneraich was always smiling and happy
This clinic [Advanced Fert Care] is well organized. It is spotless and there is minimal to no wait time. Everyone is welcoming and dedicated to their jobs. The only downside is that it was very expensive...around 30,000$ total 16,500$ for full cycle (egg retrieval and embryo transfer with ICSI) 4,000$ genetic testing 7,000$ for drugs 2 x 2,000$ for IUI attempts...[nurse] Sandy was quick to respond to my emails. She was also patient when it came to my multiple questions and inquiries.
He is very professional and knows what he is doing. I would recommend to future patients to stay confident in his knowledge and to not get discouraged when he exposes the possibility of having a negative outcome.
Dr Zoneraich was always smiling and happy. He was also honest all along the way. Sometimes I felt rushed as the follow-up appointments were literally 2 minutes long...
I did not emphasize too much on getting the full details of the strategies since it worked the first time.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
This clinic is well organized. It is spotless and there is minimal to no wait time. Everyone is welcoming and dedicated to their jobs. The only downside is that it was very expensive.
I think that Dr Z. recommended to us the eSET because he is not wanting to increase the rate of multiple births among his patients. He is conscious of the serious complications that this involves and wants to spare us this. It was a much more reasonable approach than many other fertility specialist that let their patients have 2 or 3 babies at a time...
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
When I was transferred to an OBGYN I requested that ALL my file was transferred to the new clinic/doctor. Few appointments later, I realized that the clinic was still asking me to do tests that I had already done at Dr Z. So I had to call back AdFertCare and have them fax the FULL chart.
Scottsdale

Dr. Larson explains everything in great detail and never seems in a rush during an appointment. He doesn't mind questions and will answer them thoroughly. He is kind yet direct. He told us upfront when he was concerned about one of our babies not developing properly. He prepared us, gently, for the possibility of losing one of the twins. He was caring and tried to help us stay positive. If we were to do IVF again, I would use Dr. Larson and his clinic without question.
I saw multiple nurses [at Advanced Fertility Care of AZ] and they were all friendly. The ivf coordinator and embryologist were both fantastic.... Monitoring appointments were always specifically scheduled - I had a specific time, I went in, and was out within 15 minutes .... The strengths are there are three locations and three doctors you can see - it doesn't have to be your primary doctor. The weakness is that not all of the locations are always open. All of the offices are really nice and comfortable.
I would tell you that he is very weary of transferring two embryos and will heavily advise you against it. He will thoroughly explain all of the risks involved, although in the end, it will be up to you. He respects your decision in the end.
Dr. Larson was wonderful in explaining the process to us all through our IVF cycle. Although he could have been more 'human' when one of our transferred embryos doesn't make it, he was still there to explain it to us. It was a huge improvement from our first RE, who was extremely cold and didn't stay in the room long enough to explain anything.
Dr. Larson recommended one or two more IUI's before moving onto IVF - he believed we hadn't exhausted that option yet. We tried one more on Femara but it was unsuccessful. We decided to move into ivf and he supported our decision. He had me on birth control for two weeks and then stop to get my cycle on their calendar. Then I took birth control for another 3 weeks I believe while also starting Lupron during the last week of bc. I took Lupron for 10 days and then started Stims, adding 150 Menopur and 225 Gonal-f to the Lupron. The Lupron decreased during Stims. After 8 days of Stims, I increased my Gonal-f to I think 300. All of my meds were combined into one injection. After 10 days of Stims, we triggered with Novarel. During my last ultrasound they saw 8 follicles, but 9 eggs were retrieved, 8 were mature and 7 fertilized with ICSI. Of those 7, 2 made it to day 5 and both were transferred since we had none left to freeze. I wanted the best chance at getting pregnant so we decided to transfer both. Both embryos implanted, but we lost one baby around 10 weeks. It was not progressing or growing as fast as baby A.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
I saw multiple nurses and they were all friendly. The ivf coordinator and embryologist were both fantastic.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The IUI total cost was around $1000 I believe, and the ivf was $10,000 plus $1,500 for icsi.
Dr. Larson strongly suggests the transfer of one embryo, not two. In my case, because we had none left to freeze and this was our only chance, he agreed to transfer both.
Phoenix

The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care] is run line a finely tuned instrument! Between the doctors, nursing staff, IVF nurse and receptionist they all work in-sync and provide clear communication. They answer emails and return phone calls promptly, which is always appreciated! There are 3 clinic locations and they're all beautiful and clean facilities.... Everyone on staff always greets you with a smile! They're understanding and compassionate and they've always walked me through any blood work, tests or procedures I was having. They're great at providing peace of mind.
My experience as Dr. Larsen's patient can be described as a learning experience. It's been a journey! Because of him I have a better understanding of my body and my infertility issues. With his guidance in this journey I have a new found strength and hope that we'll have a baby someday soon!
What are you waiting for? You're not getting any younger! Make an appointment for a consult with Dr. Larsen so you too can begin your journey and be one step closer to building your family! You will find everything you need in him as a fertility doctor and you'll be pleased with his staff as well!
Dr. Larsen has never made us feel like a number! He has a way of ensuring I know I am top priority at each visit. He's opened our eyes by providing a clear understanding of what's going on with my body and and why we've had to go from plan A to plan B to plan C, and he did it in a way that we understood while being empathetic! He laid out what we could expect from day one so there weren't any surprises. He is patient & understanding and provided a smooth transition into our upcoming IVF cycle!
We began with oral medication starting at a low dosage and worked our way up when we saw that my body just wasn't responding. Reason for that is because everyone is different and as as such responds differently to specific treatment & dosages. When the oral meds weren't working he introduced injetable meds that his staff taught me how to self inject at home. Unfortunately after several months of trying this protocol and seeing that it wasn't working for me we then began discussing IVF. At our IVF consult he sat us down and explained the process in detail, provided medical visual aids to help give us a better understanding. All the while we never once felt rushed!
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic is run line a finely tuned instrument! Between the doctors, nursing staff, IVF nurse and receptionist they all work in-sync and provide clear communication. They answer emails and return phone calls promptly, which is always appreciated! There are 3 clinic locations and they're all beautiful and clean facilities.
My insurance covered almost all of my procedures & medications as long as it was used in conjunction with natural conception/timed intercourse. Very few expenses were out of pocket and not reimbursible, which I was ok with. Now that we'll be pursuing IVF this will be completely out of pocket as our insurance will not cover any of it.
He has expressed that single over multiple transfers is preferred because of the associated risks that come with multiple births. He also explained that the chances of multiples is higher with IVF over natural conception. After much discussion On his point of view I understand why one embryo transfer is safer. I'm much more comfortable knowing Dr. Larsen is looking out for the long term health and safety of myself and our futur baby/babies! If I'm going to invest all this time, money, invest my body and emotions into the IVF process, why would I want to risk me or my babies health just for the possibility of twins/multiples? I understand that the decision of implanting one or more embryo is a personal choice or dependent of each individual situation, but I feel Dr. Larsen (and myself) have valid points to consider.
Phoenix

Dr. Zoneraich helped me understand my diagnosis in non-medical terminology. He drew pictures to help explain and allow me to visualize what was happening. I particularly like that our discussions were in his office and only medical treatments were in an exam room because it can be overwhelming... I was diagnosed with Early Ovarian Failure. I had the option to induce a period with progesterone but ended up not needing it. Dr. Z gave us three treatment options to discuss. First, clomid ministim which was 5 days of clomid pills, 3 days of Gonal F injections and finally a trigger shot with times intercourse.
The clinic [Advanced Fertility Care of AZ] was very clean. It didn’t feel like a doctors office. I have been to their Scottsdale and Mesa office. Both waiting rooms are beautiful, offering complimentary coffee and water. I only wish the front desk staff took phone calls in a private area. They openly talk to patients on the phone.... I was surprised to learn the low cost of clomid ministim compared to IVF. It was approximately $3,000 for all tests such as ultrasound and blood work once treatment started as well as the clomid, Gonal F and trigger shot.
Dr. Z spoke to me as a friend, not a patient. He was sincere, thorough and gave me hope during I time I needed it most. I particularly like that he called me personally to discuss a treatment question I had and not a nurse. Being 25 and unmarried, I was worried I would be negatively persuaded to choose one decision when in fact, Dr. Z gave us multiple options and explained all pros and cons of each.
Check your insurance coverage! Mine covered diagnostic testing up until I started treatment. Also, write questions down before arriving. I was often overwhelmed and lost my train of thought and forgot to ask questions while there.
Dr. Zoneraich helped me understand my diagnosis in non-medical terminology. He drew pictures to help explain and allow me to visualize what was happening. I particularly like that our discussions were in his office and only medical treatments were in an exam room because it can be overwhelming. He didn’t tell me what I had to do but gave me 3 options to go home and discuss before calling him with a decision. He was very thorough and I never felt judged being 25 and not married as I did with my first opinion doctor. Glad I sought a second opinion and glad it was with Dr. Z. We now have a friend seeking treatment options from him and will be back when we are ready for a second child ourselves! We love AFC!
I was diagnosed with Early Ovarian Failure. I had the option to induce a period with progesterone but ended up not needing it. Dr. Z gave us three treatment options to discuss. First, clomid ministim which was 5 days of clomid pills, 3 days of Gonal F injections and finally a trigger shot with times intercourse. This is the option we chose. 2nd option was IVF and the 3rd was to do nothing because we didn’t know how fast my eggs were depleting. Unfortanetly, I ovulated over Memorial Day weekend so my first treatment failed because the office was closed. However, they so kindly offered me a discount on repeating the cycle the following month since the failure was no ones fault. The second cycle gave us a happy, healthy baby girl!
The nursing staff made you feel comfortable during the process. They also call promptly with results and are the ones to let you know your pregnancy results!
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The clinic was very clean. It didn’t feel like a doctors office. I have been to their Scottsdale and Mesa office. Both waiting rooms are beautiful, offering complimentary coffee and water. I only wish the front desk staff took phone calls in a private area. They openly talk to patients on the phone.