Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
2324 Sunset Boulevard
West Columbia, SC 29169
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 4Neutral: 48.9
1 doctor
The front desk staff [Advanced Fertility] of the clinic were not as friendly as the nurses. They made it seem like it was just a job for them. The finance coordinator was not compassionate with working with. She just did the minimum to get us through. I did not feel comfortable with her at all.... Everyone in the nursing staff that we came in contact with were very friendly and caring.... Only thing that we did not like was the financial aspect of the whole situation.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute.
The front desk staff of the clinic were not as friendly as the nurses. They made it seem like it was just a job for them. The finance coordinator was not compassionate with working with. She just did the minimum to get us through. I did not feel comfortable with her at all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gail Whitman-Elia at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute?
I felt like she treated us like a human. She was very friendly and honest with us. We appreciated her for that. She also talked about her own family with us which made the whole situation even more personal and relaxing.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute?
How was your experience with Gail Whitman-Elia at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute?
She was very friendly and honest the whole way through the part of the process we were in. She did not give us any false hopes but worked with us as much as she could. She told us that we needed to do IVF but we were not financially ready for that process. So she let us try the IUI and worked with us throughout that process. Even though she didn't recommend it, she was never negative towards it. She talked about being spiritual and that made us feel even more comfortable because we also believe in the power of God.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gail Whitman-Elia at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute?
I would let them know to go to her with their true feelings about what they are going through.
Describe the protocols Gail Whitman-Elia used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute and their degree of success.
Like mentioned before, she recommended that we do IVF but out finances would not let us go that step. So she was in agreement to try the IUI cycles a few more time and told us to have faith that it will happen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gail Whitman-Elia at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute.
We were approved through the Department of Veterans Affairs for payments. The VA was paying 100% of the bill. But for some reason, we still had to pay $1600 before IVF could be done.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
One cycle mid-cycle ultrasound was misread and trigger shot window was missed [at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute]. I ran out of refills for a daily medication and had to make multiple calls to the office. Which led to having the wrong medication called into the pharmacy, wrong dose, wrong quantity. I have gotten conflicting information during ultrasounds asking if I was still taking a daily aspirin when I wasn't notified I should be taking it. I was referred to a different specialist and called ahead of time to have labs faxed over to a new office. After multiple calls, they said it was taken care of but when I went to my apt they had not received the lab results.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
The Dr.'s are readily available if needed. The front/checkout staff has always been warm and welcoming. Appointments have been on time about 80% of the time. They do have a comfortable waiting room with WIFI that works the majority of the time. The facility is equipped to do the majority of test/procedures. I've had labs, HSG, ultrasounds, and consultations in one building. I would like the staff doing your procedures at least introduce themselves. I don't need a life story just a name and who you are would be nice. I don't want to ask you a question that is out of your scope of practice. I should add this has not been all staff just a couple people who have done this. It's such an emotional thing dealing with infertility and having a warm introduction can really ease the nerves.
DR Whitman has always been professional and very informative. She has been straight forward with providing me with adequate information and details. She has always taken the time to sit, listen, and address my concerns.
From the beginning, I was concerned some of the staff would come in to do a mid-cycle ultrasound and they wouldn't introduce themselves. I wasn't sure if I was talking to a Medical Assitant or an actual Registered Nurse. I was in a very vulnerable position both emotionally and physically. (the mid-cycle are internal ultrasounds, legs up in the stirrups, light cover covering your bottom half). I would at least like to know your name. I was not sure who I could ask specific questions to. I was able to communicate with a Registered Nurse and did get clarification. I had issues with getting medication refills. I had multiple incidents where the wrong medication was sent to the pharmacy, the wrong dose, the wrong quantity. I eventually did call and speak with the manager and get my issue resolved. I have not had any further issues since that time.
Like I addressed earlier, Dr. Whitman has always been compassionate and hopeful during this process. She has been positive and always been very informative about the treatment process and plan of care.
Write down your concerns and ask Dr. Whitman directly. If you have questions or concerns you can always call and ask to speak to a RN.
During our first consultation, we developed a plan of care. She reviewed my previous records from my other Dr. She ordered an HSG to make sure my tubes were clear, a semen analysis to verify my husband's sperm was good. She started me on Femara and increased it to 10mg per cycle when I did not ovulate on lower doses. Dr. Whitman kept me on the 10mg dose for a couple of cycles with a trigger shot. She also found my thyroid to be on the lower end of normal and put me on Synthroid. She explained how important it was to have a good thyroid level when trying to conceive. After a few months break from treatment for personal reasons I went back and described my symptoms and rechecked my labs and adjust meds per results. She has been thorough and I'm hopeful she will help up expand our family.
I have had two different insurances during my treatments. I have not had any problems with billing.
Describe Gail Whitman-Elia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute.
No comments at this time. We have not discussed this option yet.
PCOS, Other
The clinic [Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute] was very clean and organized. The staff always greeted me with a smile and were very helpful.... The nursing staff were very proffessional and genuinely caring.... Second Opinion - Initial Appointment $0 (Free) Blood work $280 Day 3 Labs $600 Sperm Analysis $125 Consultation $90... As a new patient, I would make sure your medical records were received prior to the first initial appointment.
PCOS, Other
The clinic was very clean and organized. The staff always greeted me with a smile and were very helpful. As a new patient, I would make sure your medical records were received prior to the first initial appointment. My records were requested but not sent to Dr. Whitman's office by the day of my appointment. Do not wait until the appointment to see if they have received them. She usually will not see you if your records have not been received.
She was very personable and made me feel comfortable discussing my medical history. She was very blunt and was easy to understand when explaining my diagnosis and further treatments options. I would highly recommend Dr. Whitman for anyone seeking fertility related issues.
The nursing staff were very proffessional and genuinely caring.
I had a tubal reversal in May 2016 and went to my first visit at a fertility clinic in 2017 after a year of not conceiving. On the very first visit the doctor suggested IVF and sent me straight to their financial counselor's office to discuss payment options. I was very displeased by this at the fact no treatment options other than IVF were discussed after the very first examination which was very vague. So, I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Gail Whitman-Elias for a second opinion after having a bad experience with the other fertility clinic/doctor. I was pleasantly surprised after my first visit with Dr. Whitman and she gave me a better outlook on my options for conceiving a child. She made me feel very optimistic about my chances of conceiving and told me for my age my egg count was really good, so time wasn't a huge factor at the moment. She gave me a list of things I needed to do for her to decide on the best possible treatment plan for me and my partner. I had blood work performed , took an HSG test and my partner had a sperm analysis. After she reviewed the results, I set up an other appointment to discuss further treatment options. Her ability to carefully explain complex medical terms and conditions to me in a way that was easy for me understand and comprehend was astounding. Honestly, I didn't leave the appointment with any unanswered questions or concerns. I don't have anything negative to say about Dr. Whitman. She is awesome!
I would tell the patient to discuss anything you feel is important with Dr. Whitman even if you feel like it is irrelevant. Ask lots of questions! This could be the one vital bit of information she may need to better understand your situation and needs. If she knows your concerns and history it will make it easier for her to figure out the best possible treatment along with her diagnosis and plans.
Dr. Whitman-Elia performed an trans-vaginal ultrasound on my first visit along with a physical examination. We discussed prior treatments and procedures as well as my medical history. She gave me a sheet with the list of procedures my partner and I needed to complete in order for her to determine what may be causing the infertility issues and best possible treatment plans. After reviewing my blood work I had a vitamin D deficiency and I started taking vitamin D supplements with my prenatal vitamin daily. My partner's sperm analysis revealed 2% morphology, so he has since cut out smokeless tobacco use and alcohol consumption to see if it helps improve his morphology issues. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2003 which Dr. Whitman-Elia confirmed, so she prescribed 1000mg of Metformin daily. She suggested IUI or Simply IVF for the next treatment process. So, I decided to try IUI and I am currently waiting for my next cycle so I can start fertility medicine to prepare for my first IUI treatment.
2011 - 2016
Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Immunological, Unexplained
Around 5,000 for FET...Around 10,000-12,000 for IVF [at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute]...Very friendly staff. Clinic is very welcoming and clean. It may take them a few days to call you back and several weeks to email you back due to the amount of patients. However, I would recommend this clinic. I feel the strengths out way the weakness...All the nurses were excellent. The IVF coordinator did not have the greatest personality. She did not give you the bad news very well.
2011 - 2016
Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Immunological, Unexplained
She was very friendly yet informative. Her bedside manner is great. However, she told me I would be easy to get pregnant with IVF and that hasn't been the case. I have had 5 failed Ivfs ( 10 embryos).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute. (Assigned nurse: Judy)
She is very compassionate, friendly and educated. During the procedure she is very calm and says encouraging words. She doesn't talk down to you. However, she can sometimes give you unrealistic expectations. Example: telling me I would most likely get pregnant with my first IVF. Also, after several failed cycles was reluctant to change protocol.
It usually takes more cycles to have a baby then she tells you. Be patient ( very HARD).
3 iui's with dikey protocol 1 Fresh IVF with antagonist protocol with : Gonal-f, ldhcg, doxycycline at luteal day 1-7, Medrol @ luteal day 1-7, Progesterone oil 50mg luteal day 2-until 2 FETS similar protocol 1 Embryo retrieval ( can't remember protocol) 1 ERA biopsy 1 PGD 2 FETS little different meds, also added blood thinner shots and acupuncture.
Around 5,000 for FET Around 10,000-12,000 for IVF Around 250 for consult Around 350 plus meds for iui's $250 for ultrasound
My doctor did not want to put in more than 2 due to my age.
2013 - 2018
This [Advanced Fertility] is very clean and organized place. I have been to doctors visits as well as seminars. Everyone is friendly and there to help. The finical staff even meet my husband Ana I on a Saturday morning to discuss our options.... They were all very nice Ana accommodating.... It was around $2000.... Our questions were answered and a plan set in action. We were pleased with her [Dr. Whitman-Elia] and the office.
2013 - 2018
This is very clean and organized place. I have been to doctors visits as well as seminars. Everyone is friendly and there to help. The finical staff even meet my husband Ana I on a Saturday morning to discuss our options.
They were all very nice Ana accommodating.
Our questions were answered and a plan set in action. We were pleased with her and the office. Dr Whitman was referred to us by friend. My friend is now going to her as well. She explained all the different treatments Ana where we should begin.
Be paintent. Some methods work and some don’t.
We started with iui because we had done the pills already with no success. She explained how to adminerster the shots. I went back in to make sure there were eggs. She told me to take the trigger shot and then I went back in on that Monday. 2 weeks later I went back in for a test and it was negative. My husband and I took a break. We started back again last year. We are still saving money at this point to move forward with IVF.
It was around $2000.
2014 - 2018
The financial counselor [at Advanced Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology Institute] did not under how the VA payments worked. That was very stressful for us. We had such a hard time explaining the processto her. The VA couldnt get her to understand the process. So that put our treatments on hold. She made us feel astjough she didnt want to dealwith VA payments.
2014 - 2018
The financial counselor did not under how the VA payments worked. That was very stressful for us. We had such a hard time explaining the processto her. The VA couldnt get her to understand the process. So that put our treatments on hold. She made us feel astjough she didnt want to dealwith VA payments.
She was caring and very comfortable to talk with.
Very caring and compassionate.
She is an awesome provider. She does an excellent job. She was compassionate and very truthful about our situation. Never is she doubtful aboutmy getting pregnant. She givesus hope. When medication problems arised, she was quick to respond and fix the issue.
I would tell them to be truthful and honest about their situation so that the doctor can truly help them concieve.
Well, I have unexplained infertility. She told me that I would benefit from IVF but at the time we could not afford that treatment plan. She worked to make IUI for our needs. But was truthful in saying shedding recommend going that route.
Our payments were made via Veterans Affairs.
West Columbia
Every one [at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute] was so caring to us always I never felt like a number there it was like home...I can't say anything other than they are the best . This clinic really cares for the patients. Holly explains everything in detail always. Shalonda is great at the front desk and the girl that takes the blood is great..She [Dr. Whitman-Elia] is committed to her patients in all aspects no matter what. I cried she always made sure I was ok before I left the clinic. She called and checked or answered all my questions.
She was the best. I can't say anything bad about her. She talked me through everything. She helped us have our little miracle. I love her for that.
Every one was so caring to us always I never felt like a number there it was like home.
She has the best heart. She is committed to her patients in all aspects no matter what. I cried she always made sure I was ok before I left the clinic. She called and checked or answered all my questions.
She is the best and she really cares. She is there with her heart not just for money
I can't remember
West Columbia
The clinics [Advanced Fert RE Institute] is state of the art! Everything from labs to procedures can be done under one roof...Tiffany Rn was awesome! We communicated via phone and email! She answered my questions and kept me informed....I don't know the ladies title. But she would call you back you to the back, she checked my vitals. Not very friendly . I had to speak to her first! None of staff wore name badges.
The clinics is state of the art! Everything from labs to procedures can be done under one roof.
When my husband and I met with her she laid it all out for us. She gave us hope and encouraged us to get started with treatments sooner than later because of my age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology Institute. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany)
We were comfortable talking to her and asking questions.she is Very knowledgeable and she gave us hope! She explained things to us and kept US pretty much informed.The day before our retrieval she told us to pray for grade A eggs.
Ask questions until you have clarity.
I'm sorry I don't remember the exact price! My insurance paid some and so did we!
Because of my age of 38 Dr Elia recommended multiple embryo transfer but we didn't make it to the transfer part