Genetic counseling: Offered
808.262.0544
407 Uluniu Street
Kailua, HI 96734
808.262.0544
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii to a friend?

2 IVF, Donor Sperm
All of the medications and calendar [at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii] were organized and easy to follow making it with one less thing to worry about. If I had a questions via email, she [nurse] always got back to me very promptly. You could tell she enjoys what she does and it shows through her patient care...Everyone we interacted with was very kind and you would see lots of smiling faces from the staff.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
The office always seemed busy however they were always able to see you pretty quickly. We were always welcomed with a smiling face at the front desk and they would remember your name so you didn't feel like another number waiting to be called. If Dr Frattarelli was running behind, they'd let you know and get your labs done or get you prepped in the exam room ready to go. Zoe would do my lab draws and she was great. I'm usually a hard stick but she was always able to get me every time. She was also very, very nice which helped ease the fear of having to get another blood draw. Everyone we interacted with was very kind and you would see lots of smiling faces from the staff.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
My husband and I both felt like we were treated like humans because they were attentive to every need and questions we had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Fluker)
Our nurse that helped us throughout our IVF cycle was Rachel and she was amazing. She was very nice and compassionate and helped ease the anxiety of going through such a stressful ordeal. Rachel was able to answer all of our questions and explain things thoroughly. All of the medications and calendar were organized and easy to follow making it with one less thing to worry about. If I had a questions via email, she always got back to me very promptly. You could tell she enjoys what she does and it shows through her patient care .
How was your experience with John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
Dr.Frattarelli was amazing. I felt he was always honest with us and didn't sugarcoat anything. He actually remembers his patients when they come in and knows their fertility history. I absolutely hate when doctors come in that are unprepared and don't know a thing about you until they look at your chart during your appointment. Dr.Frattarelli cares for his patients and it really shows. He has a calming, kind demeanor and makes you feel at ease about a very stressful situation (IVF). We never felt rushed like we were just another number and he took his time to explain things in detail, although i'm sure he has a million other tasks or things to take care of.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
I would tell a prospective patient that although an IVF cycle can very very stressful, to remain as calm, and stress-free as possible because with Dr. Frattarelli because you're in good hands
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
The cost of our IVF medications was about $3000
Describe John Frattarelli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
If I remember correctly he recommended only one embryo due to my age (31 at the time) but since I had two embryos implanted with my first failed IVF (with another doctor), he was okay with our wishes to implant two embryos again for this IVF cycle
Kailua Medical Arts

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.

Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Strengths[of ARMG HI]-Friendly, compassionate, make you feel like family, able to schedule in a timely manner, upfront pricing, help you with the confusion of insurance costs ... Nursing staff is so amazing. Because I have been there so many times over the cycle of my journey, all of the staff know me by name. It’s a nice feeling when you are made to feel like family when dealing with something so difficult
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Strengths-Friendly, compassionate, make you feel like family, able to schedule in a timely manner, upfront pricing, help you with the confusion of insurance costs I honestly can’t think of any weaknesses. I have not had one bad experience.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anatte Karmon at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
For the first couple cycles it took a veryyy long time for my follicles to be ready for ovulation stimulation. Dr. Karmon knew how frustrating it was for me and she expressed multiple time how frustrating it is for her as well because she knows how frustrating it is for me. It made me feel like she really wanted results for me just as much as I do.
How was your experience with Anatte Karmon at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
From day one Dr. Karmon has always made me feel like we can achieve our goals. She has helped me keep faith in this long, dreadful journey. When things didn’t work as planned, she would assure me there is still more possibilities and would adjust our plan of action. Her compassion is like no other and I always felt like she was right there with me. I actually referred my best friend to her. My best friend had 2 recurrent unexplained miscarriages and after her second one I suggested she contact Dr. Karmon for help. I trusted her so much that I sent my best friend to her for help. My best friend is now about to give birth to a baby girl in April.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anatte Karmon at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
To trust In Dr. Karmon. She knows what she’s doing and with her help she will lead you in the right direction.
Describe the protocols Anatte Karmon used in your cycles at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii and their degree of success.
For the first cycle, because of insurance, we had to do timed intercourse. Because I have PCOS I don’t typically have regular cycles. They started me on Provera for 10 days. I had to do a HCG which showed my left tube was blocked and had polyps in my uterus. Dr. Karmon did a hysteroscopy to remove the polyps. The next cycle we started with Provera and then Femara. After no results with Femara, we moved on to Follistim. For the first 2 cycles with follistim at 100 units, it took just about 30 days for my follicles to respond. The remaining cycles, Dr. Karmon introduced a steroid with the Femara in the beginning of the cycle to hopefully help my follicles react sooner. With the steroid it took my follicles less than a week of follistim!!!! After my last failed IUI, we discussed IVF and are due to start the medication once I get my period.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anatte Karmon at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
Costs after insurance: About $40 for scans and bloodwork, done 3-7 times per cycle $178 per IUI after military discount and insurance Total prepayment for IVF after insurance $5000. Not including any medication or other tests during IVF
Describe Anatte Karmon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
Dr. Karmon highly recommended eSET and said that she would allow up to two but really preferred to do one because my husband and I are both young and healthy.
Kailua Medical Arts

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Anatte Karmon at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.

2017 - 2019
The clinic [Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii] is overall clean and modern, and provides you with plenty of information. I definitely felt more supported once we moved to IVF. Our IVf coordination was very clear, with detailed information sheets each step of the way...Very kind staff who really care about your success. The one issue we had was that when people call us back during iui procedures, sometimes they didn’t get the information right. When I emailed about this issue they got me into contact with the doctor and heard my concerns.
2017 - 2019
The clinic is overall clean and modern, and provides you with plenty of information. I definitely felt more supported once we moved to IVF. Our IVf coordination was very clear, with detailed information sheets each step of the way.
He is kind and looks you in the eye when he speaks to you. He makes sure that you understand the processes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
He’s a really good doctor. He knows what he is talking about and even though he is busy, takes his time to make sure you understand what is happening. He is focused and it is clear that he really wants you to succeed.
I was interested in supplements and Chinese Medicine and lifestyle choices I could make that would improve chances of success. Dr, Frattarelli doesn’t seem to give a lot of weight to those types of things.
Describe the protocols John Frattarelli used in your cycles at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii and their degree of success.
For IUI, we used clomid and the trigger shot. For ivf, I started with follatism and the other gonadotropjons prior to egg retrieval (there was more that I can’t remember). To Prepare for embryo transfer, vitamin E, progesterone shots daily, estrace three times a day, medrol twice a day, doxycycline once a day, vaginal endometrium, and baby aspirin.
The costs weren’t too bad because we have decent insurance. For IUI, I think we paid about $800/cycle which included medication. Our first IVF was covered by insurance minus about $4000. We paid extra for PGS testing.
No comments on this, we only had one embryo to transfer.
Kailua Medical Arts
Our IVF coordinator [at ARMG] which is Taylor Shodahl was very informative, supportive, communicated very well, and was always there to answer any of my questions and made sure that I understand all medications and how to use it, and all the procedures that I will be going through. Also all the staff from the reception to the admin, blood work, and nurses were very nice, helpful, and compassionate throughout my procedure from the beginning to the end.
Overall the clinic is by far the best. I was told about this clinic from one of my friends and also heard that they are really good and the best in Hawaii. Dr. Frattarelli was also recommended from my OBGYN. From the first day they were very friendly and cooperative.
They treated me like a human knowing how much I wanted to have a child. They were very informative on the procedures and what the outcome may be. They were caring, supportive, and sensitive towards my feelings when my IVF failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Taylor Shodahl)
Our IVF coordinator which is Taylor Shodahl was very informative, supportive, communicated very well, and was always there to answer any of my questions and made sure that I understand all medications and how to use it, and all the procedures that I will be going through. Also all the staff from the reception to the admin, blood work, and nurses were very nice, helpful, and compassionate throughout my procedure from the beginning to the end.
Dr. Frattarelli was very informative but I was also assigned to Dr. Karmon who is also very exceptional. So was also very informative, supportive, and caring through out the whole IVF procedure. They explained to me every medication that I'll be taking, the procedures I'll be going through from check ups to egg retrieval, to embryo transfer. They answered any questions that I have and also explained to me what to expect and the outcome being that I had very low ovarian reserves. But they did not discourage me in proceeding with my IVF even though my chances is very slim to conceive.
I would recommend Dr. Frattarelli and Dr. Karmon for them as their fertility doctors because they don't just make you feel like another patient they make you feel comfortable and that they are there to help you conceive a baby. Their whole staff are very friendly and supportive.
I first went through counseling of what to expect throughout the IVF procedure, then went through a saline check to see if my uterus is good. There were also blood work for both me and my husband. Sperm check for my husband which results came back very good. I had couple of ultra sounds done. I was taking DHEA, C0Q10, and prenatal vitamins. I also did the T-Patch, Estrace, before starting to take the progesterone, Cetrotide, growth hormone, Follistim, Menopur, Gonal-F, Endometrin, Lupron, Ovidrel/Novarel/HCG. Then during egg retrival they harvested 4 follicles, out of 4 follicles, 2 became embryos which both was transferred to my uterus. End result the embryos did not attach to my uterus resulting in failed IVF.
The cost for my IVF was covered by my insurance HMSA but my copay was $3200.00 but additional cost for recommended medications was around $1000.00 plus.
Because of my situation of being a low ovarian reserve they elected in transferring 2 embryos which I felt very comfortable with it and had no objections. It was for the better chances of us to conceive.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
I've never been to anywhere that has had more painful blood draws and missed my veins multiple times as the phlebotomists here [ARMG of HI]. They are very nice, just very painful or they have to readjust the needle multiple times (the most was 7-8 times in one sitting). I'd appreciate less turnover in my IVF coordinator, as that would help me to feel more comfortable with the clinic....$3,815K for one IVF cycle with insurance and $1K per egg for genetic testing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Having been pregnant and having multiple miscarriages and scheduled d&c's, I've had my fair share of blood draws. I've never been to anywhere that has had more painful blood draws and missed my veins multiple times as the phlebotomists here. They are very nice, just very painful or they have to readjust the needle multiple times (the most was 7-8 times in one sitting). I'd appreciate less turnover in my IVF coordinator, as that would help me to feel more comfortable with the clinic. Other than that, Doctor F is very good and I trust him with what is happening.
Dr. F would be out at a conference or trip and sub doctors would often not remember me or forget that Dr.F was my primary doctor. Assigned to a new nurse coordinator at least 5 times.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Myra Buenaluz)
This is my 5th nurse coordinator since I've been seeing Dr. F. I started seeing him in April. I would appreciate less turnover, although there hasn't been a lapse in communication.
He is extremely professional and very knowledgeable. He may come off as a bit cold at first but I appreciate his honesty and forwardness and trust him. He is very thorough and on top of things. He is out every once and a while but makes sure to be there for the important times.
Make sure to ask a lot of questions. I would recommend this with any doctor. Also, do your own research.
I first met with Dr. F for a preliminary consultation and he took preliminary tests. Based off of that, he found that I had diminished ovarian reserve along with what I already was known to have, a unicornuate uterus with a left non-communicating horned ovary. However, he found that the quality of my eggs was still good. We did a baseline check with saline and then I was trained to give myself injections to stimulate my ovaries to produce eggs. 6 eggs were taken out of me, 5 eggs were fertilized, 3 eggs made it to the 8-cell stage and after genetic testing, only 1 was genetically sound. I just finished my second cycle of 3 oral estrace a day (with 1 vaginal estrace at night in the last 3 days of cycle). In the first cycle of oral estrace, my lining only grew to 6.7mm, and then in the second cycle, only grew to 5.1mm. Dr. F said we need to try a different technique and now I'm on provera to induce a period and estrogen patches. I hope that my lining will grow enough in this cycle, but we'll see.
$3,815K for one IVF cycle with insurance and $1K per egg for genetic testing (since I had 3 or less) plus an additional $1,500 for cryoperservation. So in total, around $8,315.
Since I have a smaller uterus, I can only hold one baby safely. Therefore, the only decision for me was to transfer a single embryo.
Kailua Medical Arts

Everyone I have encountered in this clinic [ARMG- HI] has been extremely pleasant and helpful. The staff is warm and compassionate and will try their best to help you feel comfortable or answer any questions that you may have. The clinic itself is beautiful, bright, clean, and inviting.... Insurance covered partial payment for our first IVF cycle. Out of pocket expenses were approximately $12,000 for the initial cycle and the second FET.
European, Latino, Native American, Other
Everyone I have encountered in this clinic has been extremely pleasant and helpful. The staff is warm and compassionate and will try their best to help you feel comfortable or answer any questions that you may have. The clinic itself is beautiful, bright, clean, and inviting.
Dr Fratterelli is patient, kind, and thorough in answering all of mine and my husband’s questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Aisling Globig)
Aisling is the best! She is always available by email or phone for any questions or concerns I have, no matter how minute they are. Aisling has been my assigned nurse/coordinator from the beginning of our journey and knows me and my case very well.
Dr Fratterelli is kind, patient, and thorough. He takes the time to make sure he has answered all of your questions and concerns. He has been open with us and has adjusted our course of treatment as needed including any/all pre-treatment testing/procedures. I feel very comfortable and safe under the treatment of Dr. Fratterelli.
I have referred friends to Dr. Frattarelli and I tell them to just go in to this process with an open and positive mindset. They are in great hands.
This is to the best of my recollection. During our first IVF cycle, we used Follistom and Menopur during the stimulation cycle. Doctor was able to retrieve 23 eggs, 19 were mature, 15 fertilized with ICSI and we obtained three blastocyst embryos. We did two FET cycles, one with two embryos and one with one embryo. Both FETs resulted in miscarriage. We are currently in our second IVF cycle. This time we used Gonal-F and double the amount of Menopur. We also used HGH and testosterone this round. Prior to this cycle I prepped for months with DHEA supplements to hopefully improve egg quality. We did a hysteroscopy and a Hysterosalpingogram to check my Fallopian tubes. Both tests came back normal. We did an ERA biopsy and discovered I need an extra twelve hours of progesterone prior to the transfer. This cycle we got 19 eggs, 16 of which we’re mature, 12 fertilized with ICSI. We got three day 6 blastocyst embryos and opted to the PGS testing this time. We have one chromosomally normal embryo which will be transferred as a FET on April 17, tentatively.
Insurance covered partial payment for our first IVF cycle. Out of pocket expenses were approximately $12,000 for the initial cycle and the second FET. Our second IVF cycle was not covered by insurance at all and out of pocket expenses have been approximately $23,000 including medications and travel expenses due to Dr. Frattarelli being on a different island, which is also why I would be unable to schedule a same day appointment unless absolutely necessary.
My doctor was very clear about his approach of transferring no more than two embryos at a time. Dr. Frattarelli explained the health risks to both the mother and the babies if more are transferred, as the embryos still have the potential to split once transferred.
Kailua Medical Arts

There is nothing bad I can say about Fertility Institute if Hawaii. Everyone from front desk to billing to the PA’s, nurses & doctors have been extremely helpful, informative, compassionate, understanding & everything else one could look for when seeking fertility treatments... My Tricare copays for medications came out to $24. I believe each visit was about $30?... Tricia & Anna have both been very compassionate & informative with every visit along with the medical assistants/nurses/staff. All very friendly & comforting during my process of trying for a successful pregnancy.
Dr Fraterelli personally sits down with you to go over your plan. He’s very aware of lab results, cycles, etc. I also deal with his P.A’s & every time one walks into the exam room, it’s again a very personal exam with great bedside manner especially with starting new cycles. I’m assured that it’s ok that the last treatment didn’t turn into a positive pregnancy & that we can make a few changes to the last plan to see if that will work
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Tricia Wahl & Anna DeGolier)
Dr Frattarelli is really great at explaining the process and going over your plan for treatments. He is compassionate & very patient with questions galore that I threw out at him during our first meeting. I’m very comfortable being under his care with my infertility issues & woupdnt think of going anywhere else
Expect amazing care from this provider
My initial consult was to discuss my health, my husband’s health, treatment plans & options. We did a saline ultrasound of my uterus to check for any issues with my uterus. Next, I was put on injectable medications for ovulation stimulation on day 3 of my menstrual cycle. While on this medication, I went in for blood work & transvaginal ultrasounds to check the function of my ovaries & recrutment/size of follicles with instructions of timed intercourse. I went through about 5 rounds & moved into intrauterine insemination afterwards.
I have not been given this option yet

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Amy, Rachel and Taylor were very open and available 24/7. Especially since we live on another island, their organization and coordination was optimal. They always were encouraging and honest. I am very grateful for them.... The office [ARMG- HI] is very busy. It may seem like you are just a number but you arent. They are very caring and open. The only problem I had was when making my flight arrangements. My insurance had to call the office and verify my appt. Often my insurance would claim they werent able to get thru to verify the appt.
East Asian, Other
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
The office is very busy. It may seem like you are just a number but you arent. They are very caring and open. The only problem I had was when making my flight arrangements. My insurance had to call the office and verify my appt. Often my insurance would claim they werent able to get thru to verify the appt. So I would have to ask my nurse to call them. I think there should be a dedicated line or person for the insurance companies to call so that flight arrangements dont get delayed
The first couple MD visits that we tried to get pregnant with just pills, the office didnt really follow up or call to see how I was doing. Once we moved forward to try IUI and IVF, we were assigned a nurse and thats when it seemed that they cared. Im guessing they wanted to make sure we were serious
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Amy, Rachel and Taylor)
Amy, Rachel and Taylor were very open and available 24/7. Especially since we live on another island, their organization and coordination was optimal. They always were encouraging and honest. I am very grateful for them. I also am so impressed with Zoe, their phelbotomist? She always was cheerful and positive. It kept my spirits high
As we progressed with the IVF treatment, Dr. was more open and warm. I then startesd to trust him more and our treatment plan. He always asked if we had questions and was willing to explain in depth if need be. I never felt like my appts were rushed with him.
Trust in his expertise and dont be afraid to ask questions, no question is ever too small or embarassing.
Since our first IVF cycle only produced one mature follicle, we did an IUI instead to save our IVF benefit for the next cycle. The IUI was unsuccessful so we proceeded to another round of IVF (menopur and follistim injections) but Dr. Fratarelli added Androderm patches for 5 days and then Femara for 5 days . That yielded 6 maturing follicles. Our egg retrieval was 8 total, 6 of them were mature enough to fertilize and of those 3 became embryos for transplant
Our copay 4,000
Kailua Medical Arts

The nursing staffs [Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology] were just as awesome as DR john. they are all very helpful and so kind. they as well answers all your questions and concerns.... nothing for weakness because my experience was awesome with all the staffs. they always make sure you feel welcomed once you enter the clinic and on your way out. the clinic is very neat tidy and clean. lots of bathrooms which is awesome. they are fast and efficient.
human because DR JOHN first of all is amazing. HE's a well educated man. he had answered all my questions and concerns. he welcomes you with a smile and asks how are you today, or how is your day going. he always listens and never turns you away. he's amazing and has an amazing staff as well. I wish my wife and I didn't have to put our fertility journey on hold because of the expense. but as for right now we are just praying and wishing we could go back soon and finally have a little blessing or blessings of our own. as for right now we are amazingly blessed that we have each other.
The nursing staffs were just as awesome as DR john. they are all very helpful and so kind. they as well answers all your questions and concerns.
DR JOHN Frattarelli is a well educated man that always welcomes you with a smile. when I first went to the clinic and was waiting in the waiting area he was passing by and unlike every other doctor where they just walk by makes eye contact and ignores you. DR frattarelli did just the complete opposite, he greeted me with a hello and a smile as he was just passing through the waiting room which made me feel extra comfortable and welcomed. as I got called to the back to meet him for the first time he again greeted me told me who he was even though I already knew who he was :) he went through my chart explained everything I had to do and the medications that I would be starting and when to start taking them as well as the side effects. he has answered all my questions and concerns before we departed. all around DR john frattarelli is awesome, despite the negative reviews I came across before going to his clinic that still did not stop me from going and I am so happy I did decide to go ahead a go with his clinic because him and his staffs has been nothing but good to me. thank you DR john frattarelli for all that you do for us women.
you wont regret it!
I was getting treated for a IUI cycle. DR john wanted to do a mock cycle first to see how well ill respond with the medications such as clomid which was used to help me to ovulate and metformin which I had to take due to having PCOS. the mock cycle went very well my body was responding well to the medications and everything looked great which is what exactly doctor said. so he told me it was time to search for a donor for my next cycle the actual one where we would go ahead and do the IUI. unfortunately I did my next cycle with a different doctor. but over all my experience was great with DR JOHN FRATTARELLI!
for test and blood work it roughly came out to $700 something the donor was around $1000.00 and medications around $120-$150
Kailua Medical Arts

The amount of staff available and the organization means the whole operation [Advanced Repro Med] is very smooth and wait times are usually small. Overall its a very professional clinic. That is both its strength and its weakness. I would recommend it for people who really want to conceive as fast and safely as possible. Maybe not so much for someone who wants the care providers to also be a shoulder to cry on/take a more personal approach.
The amount of staff available and the organization means the whole operation is very smooth and wait times are usually small. Overall its a very professional clinic. That is both its strength and its weakness. I would recommend it for people who really want to conceive as fast and safely as possible. Maybe not so much for someone who wants the care providers to also be a shoulder to cry on/take a more personal approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Laine, Lisa, Myra)
the nursing staff were always attentive and organized. The only downside was that after being assigned a nurse coordinator, we were then assigned a new one after a couple of weeks, and then another one a couple of weeks later. IT would have been nice to keep the same nurse coordinator throughout the process.
Very professional, but almost too professional. Dr. F clearly knows what he is doing and instills a sense of confidence - I felt confident he was doing the most he could to help us conceive. However, he does not have the personal bedside manner some other doctors have. One downside was that sometimes the sessions with Dr. F were fairly short so sometimes we would have to ask questions in order to get information we felt was important to us.
Expect a very professional medical experience - don't expect the Dr. F to be your best friend and counselor.
Progesterone shots to stimulate egg growth before retrieval; estrogen pills and patch prior to embryo transfer to promote uterus lining growth.
IVF cycle cost $3,800 after insurance payment, genetic testing cost $1,000 for one embryo, and initial cryo preservation cost $1,500
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
While the office [Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii] was always busy and there was always many patients waiting in the waiting area, the staff was very friendly and knew me by name...My favorite PA was Tricia who was always so thorough and had great bedside manner...Anna [nurse] did my 2nd IUI and I was not impressed. That round my husband has some kind of infection and they had to wash his sperm a second time which made the count less than 1 million.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Strengths - state of the art office, fancy collateral (ice bags for meds), friendly staff. Weaknesses - when you call, it is hard to get through on your first try, doctor and some of the nurse staff did not feel warm, always crowded so it does seem a little like they are herding cattle.
While the office was always busy and there was always many patients waiting in the waiting area, the staff was very friendly and knew me by name. I liked coming to the office because I always felt hope that Dr. Frattarelli and his team would be able to help me. My favorite PA was Tricia who was always so thorough and had great bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Tricia, Ainsling, Anna)
Ainsling was my IVF Coordinator and she was very organized and had great follow through. I wouldn't say she was the most compassionate especially when she delivered the news that my IVF failed. Tricia was the PA that did 2 out of 3 of my IUIs. She is AMAZING! Friendly, thorough, and caring. I wish she was my nurse for all treatments. Anna did my 2nd IUI and I was not impressed. That round my husband has some kind of infection and they had to wash his sperm a second time which made the count less than 1 million. We had been told that normally they would like to see the sperm count to be over 4 million. Because the number was so low, I actually stopped Anna right before she did my procedure and asked her "Should we even do this today?" and she said "Well, it is a better chance than regular sex." She didn't even give us time to consult or discuss and proceeded with the IUI which failed. I asked the receptionist that going forward, I never wanted to be under her care. I did not feel like she cared about my well being and was just doing the procedures as it was her job duty.
Dr. Frattarelli answered all of my questions prior to starting my treatment however, he is not the warmest so I never felt like I truly connected with him. Before I started my IVF treatment he found a mass in my uterus so we did a hysteroscopy to remove what turned out to be a polyp to insure that I had the best chance at success. What did bother me is when the IVF treatment failed and I went in for my "discuss options" meeting with him. As you can imagine I was in a devastated and defeated state of mind. When I asked him what happened and why did the treatment not work, he immediately defaulted to my age (42) and the fact that I had endometriosis. The funny thing is that I never really knew that I had endometriosis and all of a sudden that was in my charts. I asked why he couldn't have done the surgery to remove the endometriosis prior to starting my IVF treatment and he said to me "I don't do that." No explanation, nothing. He immediately recommended that I go with donor eggs and that was pretty much the end of the conversation bc I am not ready to move to that option. I wished he showed a little more compassion given that this was my first round.
Do you due diligence and shop around. Dr. Frattarelli has a state of the art office and all the frills but if you are looking for a doctor that is warm and fuzzy, he is not the one.
Antagonist protocol 450/225 Gonal F Menopur Dexamethasone Estradiol Progesterone Produced 3 eggs, two of which produced embryos (7C and 6C cells), both were implanted, failed.
Insurance covered a round but I still had to pay for the co-pay and medication. I believe it was around $6,000 that I had to pay for IVF. For IUI it was approx $400 for the first round and $1,000 each round for the next two rounds.
Kailua Medical Arts

The clinic [ARMG] is very informative, and is very honest. I did not see any weakness. My coordinator help a lot. She recognized that due to my egg quality did not result in a viable embryo transfer that I would be reembursted part of my up front payment.... From nursing staff to the phyician they were a warm empathetic practice. Every step of the process they truly made sure that I was informed, and helped me understand the process. With complete honesty. The one ivf treatment was an emotional process that helped me understand that it had failed due to egg quality.
The clinic is very informative, and is very honest. I did not see any weakness. My coordinator help a lot. She recognized that due to my egg quality did not result in a viable embryo transfer that I would be reembursted part of my up front payment.
From nursing staff to the phyician they were a warm empathetic practice. Every step of the process they truly made sure that I was informed, and helped me understand the process. With complete honesty. The one ivf treatment was an emotional process that helped me understand that it had failed due to egg quality. The physician was empatatic and informative in deciding to continue treatments and alternative options. At the time I chose to take a break, and emotional deal with how I felt. Now I'm both physically and emotionally stronger to take the step to try one more time using a donor egg.
Kind, compassionate and. Very informative. They truly cared about my well being.
Kind compassionate physician that truly cares. About his patients and their individual needs, and addresses the emotional roller Costner I felt that I was on. Answered all of my question, and also being there giving great advice as to the next step.
I would say Dr. John Frattarelli is the only phycian I would go to.
I can't remember most of it step by step. The one thing I do know is that Dr. Frattarelli to add on to my egg stimulation medication to try and increase egg quality. Every step of the way Dr. Frattarelli order medications and treatment to increase my chances for a positive outcome.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
Excellent
7,000.00
I trust Dr. Fratterelli empatically and would follow his recommendation for what is best for me.
John Frattarelli

She [nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii] rushed through explanations, did not provide timely follow ups and we did not feel that we were properly informed of all aspects of treatment and so forth. We went in not knowing much about fertility treatments and left the same. We learned more afterwards from others than we did while at the clinic and with our nurse.
European, Native American, Other
Very pleasant, peaceful environment. However it also had a look that felt very expensive and high tech, which made us feel they were professional but pricey.
The clinic was very busy each time we visited. Nurse assigned to us did not always follow up in a timely manner. When she explained injections and processes she rushed through them as if she was going through a script. We did not feel we got all of the proper information on what was happening and what we could/should do to help the process. (For example what over the counter medicines cannot be taken, the level of physical activity, foods etc.)
She rushed through explanations, did not provide timely follow ups and we did not feel that we were properly informed of all aspects of treatment and so forth. We went in not knowing much about fertility treatments and left the same. We learned more afterwards from others than we did while at the clinic and with our nurse.
He was pleasant and friendly. He did advise against mutilple embryo transfers to avoid multiple child due to his own experiences. He explained what he was doing, but I felt that he was not that knowledged on endometriosis and appropriate treatment for someone with it. It felt that our treatment was the same as others and we were not advised to do anything different because of it.
Do your own research beforehand, so that you can understand all options available to you by mutilple doctors. Reach out to others with a similar situation as you, to help obtain guidance and suggestions on treatments that worked and those that didn't. Don't rely solely on the doctor to know your own body and how you may or may not react emotionally. Make sure you have a support system in place ahead of time and have reasonable expectations.
Due to my endometriosis and very few follicles, I was given the maximum doses of stimulation drugs. This also caused my endometriosis and ovaries to swell, which also brought on a lot of pain and discomfort. My body was stressed and I do not feel it was in the best position to produce eggs. We only had one to retrieve, which we did and transferred, however it did not implant. It all happened so fast, and I feel the treatment options hurt my body and ultimately our chances of success.
With insurance, around $5,000 out of pocket. However we also had travel expense, and it being Hawaii it was expensive staying overnight. We had about $5,000 additional in travel expenses as well.

2013
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
The staff [Advanced Repro Med] knew my name when i walked in and created me warmly.... Strengths: i feel they are very through and give very individualized treatment. They were expanding as i left so hope they have still kept the very personal care and touch i knew them to have. I honestly can not think of a weakness...my hubby said the tv in the men’s “room” did work so if it’s still out of order perhaps that... Our fresh cycle with out medications cost us roughly 11k. The following frozen cycle was around $5k
2013
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Strengths: i feel they are very through and give very individualized treatment. They were expanding as i left so hope they have still kept the very personal care and touch i knew them to have. I honestly can not think of a weakness...my hubby said the tv in the men’s “room” did work so if it’s still out of order perhaps that..lol
The staff knew my name when i walked in and created me warmly. I never felt rushed or uncomfortable with any of my treatment. Dr fraterelli takes the time to explain treatment options and what would be best for the individual. I genuinely feel like he loves his job of making families come true!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Rosheen)
There are no words for this woman...she cried with me, she celebrated with me, she held my hand when my husband was deployed and wasn’t there for the transfer. This woman is an angel and will forever hold a special place in my heart!
He is patient, warm and kind. He makes you feel comfortable and clearly explains treatment options and his honest opinion on success. I trusted him throughout the process completely! He seems to truly love his job and maleomg dreams come true. I felt like he was cheering us on and doing everything in his power to help us have a child.
Go on with an open mind. Ask tons of questions and trust the process and the dr...if it’s dr. John!
Due to our situation, husband low count, slow and questionable quality swimmers, dr. F suggested IVf. My husband and i wanted to instead try iui, our insurance, tricare, does not cover infertility treatment, due to cost. We tried two rounds of iui with myself being stimulated with no luck. (Dr. F was right...:)) We we’re now ready to listen to put our treatment completely on his hands. Ivf. Stimmed on follistem with no complications. Retrieved 23 eggs 13 made it to embryos. We did a fresh 5 day transfer with no baby. Frozen transfer i don’t recall total portocall but know i took shots in my stomach i believe and the progesterone shots daily. We now have an amazing little boy from this cycle!
Due to my history for recurrent loss, our age, no other children, and acceptance of the possibility for multiples, dr f transferred two embryos on both the fresh and frozen transfers

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Around $11,500 for everything [at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii] - PGS, IVF, drs visits, meds, etc...They are very busy! But the staff is great. They do have locations around the island so sometimes scheduling can be difficult if you only have certain times/days and your dr is at other clinic locations on certain days. They are pretty good about being on time for your appointments, parking is validated and basically everything can be done in office.
European, East Asian
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Taylor )
First care coordinator, Aisling was very knowledgeable, however she has since left the practice. Taylor was good but seemed like she was new and had to ask Dr. Karmon for answers before she could get back to us on a lot of things.
Dr. Karmon was was very direct and clear in her communication. We saw her at almost every appointment and she was a great match for us. She took the time to look into all options and was very straightforward in letting us know her opinions on how she thought we should proceed. We saw her for two successful pregnancies and have recommended her to other friends going through infertility.
Be very clear in what you want and be willing to trust her professional opinion. She is very professional and as you work with her more you’ll see that she is a very warm person.
After a few failed rounds of clomid with my regular OB, we tried two IUIs, then at Dr. Karmon’s recommendation, we went straight for IVF. She felt we should do IVF not only from a cost standpoint but because I was a good candidate for it to be successful.
Around $11,500 for everything - PGS, IVF, drs visits, meds, etc
At our request, Dr. Karmon let us put in two frozen embryos for the first transfer which resulted in a successful pregnancy and birth of our son. For the second round, I discussed the risks with her and we decided on one which has resulted in a positive pregnancy with a baby girl due in June.
Kailua Medical Arts
The costs were around what I had researched online [at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii]. They were upfront with the costs during consultation and also discussed the cost of the medications. All were as expected...Very responsive, communicate well always friendly, clinic environment is warm and inviting. Lots of natural light in lobby. My husband was comfortable there too. If you have questions ask, be honest and open. If they ever don’t have the answer, they will find someone who does. Love it there!
Dr Frattarelli is kind, knowledgeable and straightforward. He didn’t talk down but spoke in terms I could understand. Though he is incredibly busy, he never made us feel like he was hurried.
Everyone in the clinic was Amazing from care coordination, to lab, to nurses, to front desk and billing. All around fantastic. They were always so busy there but they always made you feel like they were taking time for you.
Dr. Frattarelli made our experience positive. He explained everything and answered all questions we had. Like all things with unexplained infertility there will always be unknowns, he never made us feel like a lost cause but was open about known statistics of success. I found him to be trustworthy and kind. I was comfortable with him through our whole journey.
He is an up front physician and takes a few minutes to warm up but this does not mean he doesn’t care. He is an amazing clinician and hopes for success of all.
The costs were around what I had researched online. They were upfront with the costs during consultation and also discussed the cost of the medications. All were as expected.
Dr. Frattarelli presented all the facts, success statistics, clinical experiences and risks of both single or two embryo transfer. I knew the safest option was a single transfer. He was amazing at answering questions and open to discussion. At the end, It really ended up being a decision made by my husband and I with his inputs.
Kailua Medical Arts
The clinic [Advanced Reproductive Med and Gyn of HI] was always welcoming when you enter the door. The clinic is clean and all the staff has a smile on there face. They make you feel comfortable from the start. I recommend this clinic to anyone in a heartbeat.... Jae [a nurse] was always positive when I was communicating with her. Jae made sure that I understood what to do when I did my shots at home and always returned my call before the end of the day. Jae was always organized and educated.
The clinic was always welcoming when you enter the door. The clinic is clean and all the staff has a smile on there face. They make you feel comfortable from the start. I recommend this clinic to anyone in a heartbeat.
All the staff was warm and welcoming to me and my family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Jae lee)
Jae was always positive when I was communicating with her. Jae made sure that I understood what to do when I did my shots at home and always returned my call before the end of the day. Jae was always organized and educated.
Dr. John Frattarelli always had a smile on his face at each appointment I had. He was honest, caring, and very compassionate. If I had a question he gave a honest answer. He explained at each visit what was going to happen next and I like that. As a patient I felt like I was a queen because I felt very comfortable at each appointment. I felt like I was more than a patient to then because the way they treat there patients.
You would not regret his services. He is so awesome!
I had to do hormone shots. That was uncomfortable at first but it got easier. I did not have any side affects from any medication that I took. I always asked questions about everything. I had to fly to Oahu to do the transfer and they egg retrieval. I did a lot of ultrasounds and at every appointment I had the doctor explained everything that was going to be done.
The total out of pocket cost that I spent was about $6,000
My doctor said that he will only transfer 2 embryos because of the chances of me getting multiples. I wanted 3 but the doctor said 2 is good. I trust him.

3 IVF, Donor Eggs
They [Fertility Institute of Hawaii] are very busy so the appointments are short and to the point. If you feel like you need to be coddled a lot, this may not be the clinic for you. Everyone who works there are is very nice. I did not have a problem with any one there. It was nice to have follow up appointments on Maui.... [nurse] Aisling always took the time to call us and check up on us even after I was released to my OBGYN....
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
They are very busy so the appointments are short and to the point. If you feel like you need to be coddled a lot, this may not be the clinic for you. Everyone who works there are is very nice. I did not have a problem with any one there. It was nice to have follow up appointments on Maui.
Dr. John and his staff were amazing.They were very responsive and easy to work with. I could tell they had our best interests at heart.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Aisling)
Even though she was super busy, Aisling always took the time to call us and check up on us even after I was released to my OBGYN. She even sent my son a gift when he was born.
I saw 3 doctors over the course of 8 years of TTC. Dr. John was by far the best one. He was very warm, easy to talk to, and honest from the start. We trusted him implicitly with our care. His professionalism and bed side manner are top notch. I would highly recommend him to anyone dealing with fertility issues.
Do your research. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
We used an egg donor because Dr. Frattarelli knew that we would not be able to conceive with our own eggs due to previous failed cycles. We used 7 donor eggs, 5 fertilized, 4 became blastocysts and we transferred 1. Our son was born in September 2016.
They were high. We paid $42k for our egg donor cycle.
We chose to trust the doctor's recommendation of a single embryo transfer.

2015 - 2019
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
My coordinator had the wrong transfer dates on my calendar. ... I had no problems with monitoring appointments. Sometimes they were running late but that happens anywhere. ... Staff is very efficient and organized. They also have several offices throughout the state of Hawai’i. They respond via email or phone call. The only “weakness” would be their main clinic is on Oahu, so outer islanders still have to pay for travel expenses. But the clinic will try and accommodate your schedule.
2015 - 2019
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Not much empathy when transfers failed or lining wasn’t getting thick enough. Sometimes I felt like he was trying to redirect me to other options, ie surrogacy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Tiare Browm)
Very efficient.
Dr. Fratteralli is very educated about the ivf process. However sometimes I felt just like a number because all my embryo transferred have failed thus far. But his support staff is great and very efficient.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you’re still unclear, his support staff will help you.
Did ivf transfer with my own embryos that failed in 2015. Currently doing ivf with donor eggs with the Assured Refund Plan. So far 4 embryo transferred with 1 bfp that resulted in miscarriage. Getting ready for my next cycle.
First round, my insurance covered 80%. This time with the Assured Refund Plan, 100% out of pocket.
Yes, because of my history of an incompetent cervix, he recommended transferring only 1 embryo.

Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
[ARMG is a] Newer facility but very busy. Nurses stations were in the halls. So, seemed a bit cold and unprofessional. More like a job and process. I had to ask questions to find out next steps and had to re-explain my history and background every appointment because we never knew who we would see. Very hard to get anyone on the phone.... I believe this may be a teaching clinic. So, there were SO MANY people working but nobody tending to patients
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Dr. Harmon did my US and IUI and didn't remember that she had seen me previously. Husband was sent back to a room for collection which was right next to the nurses station and bathroom. Names were called out like herding sheep and no information or explanation from doctors.
Friendly and good bedside manner. Busy and on the go. I believe this may be a teaching clinic. So, there were SO MANY people working but nobody tending to patients
Dr. Frattarelli is a great doctor but is busy. He did my 2 initial consultations but we never saw him again. Each appointment thereafter we saw different doctors and nurses and nobody knew our file.
Ask questions. Be vocal. Do your research and come prepared
Clomid, HCG trigger injection and IUI. Pending IVF
$400
I asked questions about this. He suggested single embryo due to my age. I would like multiple embryo transfer.

4 IUI, 2 Embryo Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
My IVF coordinator nurse Jae [at ARMG] was amazing. She was warm and compassionate. She answered all of my silly questions and made me feel like she really cared. I feel like she knew me better than my doctor and I spent far much time with her.... Since it was my first IVF she [Dr. Anatte Karmon] used a high dose of meds, as no one knew how my body would react.
4 IUI, 2 Embryo Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
She did not really explain things to me in as much detail as I would have liked. She did not do all of my monitoring, just the egg retrieval. Her bedside manner was not the warmest.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Jae )
My IVF coordinator nurse Jae was amazing. She was warm and compassionate. She answered all of my silly questions and made me feel like she really cared. I feel like she knew me better than my doctor and I spent far much time with her.
I rarely saw her, she only did one ultrasound and my egg retrieval. It was my first time doing IVF so I had a lot of questions. I didn't always feel like she had the time to explain things to me. She was a nice person but did not have the warmest bedside manner.
Other nurses will see you for most of your appointments so she doesn't really get to know you.
Since it was my first IVF she used a high dose of meds, as no one knew how my body would react.
Anatte Karmon

Wonderful and professional. He listened to our concerns and answered all questions thoroughly. I highly recommend him. He was personable and understanding. I felt very comfortable with him. Great doctor...[Nurse at ARMG - HI] She always answered my questions. She was so prompt and caring. I miss her. I felt as if she was my friend....Worth every penny plus more....Compassion and empathy...
Compassion and empathy
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Jeongah)
Have faith and stay positive.
Worth every penny plus more.
Honolulu

The nurse practitioner [at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii] that I was assigned to did not take the time to really work with me. There were no follow ups with the procedures, no communications whatsoever...Felt like a number and not like a patient. Very robotic, if you don't fit in their mold of a healthy patient they make you feel unwanted.
Very welcoming and organized
The nurse practitioner that I was assigned to did not take the time to really work with me. There were no follow ups with the procedures, no communications whatsoever
He took the time to explain procedures and course of action but because of being so busy, most time nurse practitioner took over cases.
He looks at all courses of action and what is the best treatment
2012 - 2013
Dr. F seemed to genuinely care about me and my husband's case. He never seemed to be in a rush and took as much time as necessary with us at every appointment.
2012 - 2013
Dr F. is a great communicator and skilled doctor. He was always professional and cordial.
When you are ready to proceed to IVF from IUI, tell him.
John Frattarelli

This clinic [Advanced Reproductive Med and Gynecology of HI] was willing to work with my clinic back home to make my IUI happen while on vacation. It was pretty simple as all of my monitoring was done at my home clinic. They were happy to help and took good care of me.... approx. $230 for an IUI with sperm washing (not including monitoring)... I was doing an IUI while on vacation which was unusual for them but they treated me like they would any other patient -- with care.
This clinic was willing to work with my clinic back home to make my IUI happen while on vacation. It was pretty simple as all of my monitoring was done at my home clinic. They were happy to help and took good care of me.
The nurses were kind, gentle and on top of things.
I wasn't assigned a doctor as we were just doing an IUI. But as a whole it was a good experience with everyone we came into contact with. I'm not sure the name of the person who performed the IUI; she was kind and informative.
No advice. As always, do your research first and pick a doctor that you feel will listen to you and will support you best.
This was an IUI cycle with monitoring, clomid and trigger shot.
approx. $230 for an IUI with sperm washing (not including monitoring)