Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
1401 South Beretania St
Honolulu, HI 96814
808.262.0544
407 Uluniu Street
Kailua, HI 96734
808.262.0544
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii to a friend?
Everyone I have encountered in this clinic [ARMG- HI] has been extremely pleasant and helpful. The staff is warm and compassionate and will try their best to help you feel comfortable or answer any questions that you may have. The clinic itself is beautiful, bright, clean, and inviting.... Insurance covered partial payment for our first IVF cycle. Out of pocket expenses were approximately $12,000 for the initial cycle and the second FET.
European, Latino, Native American, Other
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
Everyone I have encountered in this clinic has been extremely pleasant and helpful. The staff is warm and compassionate and will try their best to help you feel comfortable or answer any questions that you may have. The clinic itself is beautiful, bright, clean, and inviting.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
Dr Fratterelli is patient, kind, and thorough in answering all of mine and my husband’s questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Aisling Globig)
Aisling is the best! She is always available by email or phone for any questions or concerns I have, no matter how minute they are. Aisling has been my assigned nurse/coordinator from the beginning of our journey and knows me and my case very well.
How was your experience with John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
Dr Fratterelli is kind, patient, and thorough. He takes the time to make sure he has answered all of your questions and concerns. He has been open with us and has adjusted our course of treatment as needed including any/all pre-treatment testing/procedures. I feel very comfortable and safe under the treatment of Dr. Fratterelli.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
I have referred friends to Dr. Frattarelli and I tell them to just go in to this process with an open and positive mindset. They are in great hands.
Describe the protocols John Frattarelli used in your cycles at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii and their degree of success.
This is to the best of my recollection. During our first IVF cycle, we used Follistom and Menopur during the stimulation cycle. Doctor was able to retrieve 23 eggs, 19 were mature, 15 fertilized with ICSI and we obtained three blastocyst embryos. We did two FET cycles, one with two embryos and one with one embryo. Both FETs resulted in miscarriage. We are currently in our second IVF cycle. This time we used Gonal-F and double the amount of Menopur. We also used HGH and testosterone this round. Prior to this cycle I prepped for months with DHEA supplements to hopefully improve egg quality. We did a hysteroscopy and a Hysterosalpingogram to check my Fallopian tubes. Both tests came back normal. We did an ERA biopsy and discovered I need an extra twelve hours of progesterone prior to the transfer. This cycle we got 19 eggs, 16 of which we’re mature, 12 fertilized with ICSI. We got three day 6 blastocyst embryos and opted to the PGS testing this time. We have one chromosomally normal embryo which will be transferred as a FET on April 17, tentatively.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
Insurance covered partial payment for our first IVF cycle. Out of pocket expenses were approximately $12,000 for the initial cycle and the second FET. Our second IVF cycle was not covered by insurance at all and out of pocket expenses have been approximately $23,000 including medications and travel expenses due to Dr. Frattarelli being on a different island, which is also why I would be unable to schedule a same day appointment unless absolutely necessary.
Describe John Frattarelli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
My doctor was very clear about his approach of transferring no more than two embryos at a time. Dr. Frattarelli explained the health risks to both the mother and the babies if more are transferred, as the embryos still have the potential to split once transferred.
Kailua Medical Arts
There is nothing bad I can say about Fertility Institute if Hawaii. Everyone from front desk to billing to the PA’s, nurses & doctors have been extremely helpful, informative, compassionate, understanding & everything else one could look for when seeking fertility treatments... My Tricare copays for medications came out to $24. I believe each visit was about $30?... Tricia & Anna have both been very compassionate & informative with every visit along with the medical assistants/nurses/staff. All very friendly & comforting during my process of trying for a successful pregnancy.
Dr Fraterelli personally sits down with you to go over your plan. He’s very aware of lab results, cycles, etc. I also deal with his P.A’s & every time one walks into the exam room, it’s again a very personal exam with great bedside manner especially with starting new cycles. I’m assured that it’s ok that the last treatment didn’t turn into a positive pregnancy & that we can make a few changes to the last plan to see if that will work
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Tricia Wahl & Anna DeGolier)
Dr Frattarelli is really great at explaining the process and going over your plan for treatments. He is compassionate & very patient with questions galore that I threw out at him during our first meeting. I’m very comfortable being under his care with my infertility issues & woupdnt think of going anywhere else
Expect amazing care from this provider
My initial consult was to discuss my health, my husband’s health, treatment plans & options. We did a saline ultrasound of my uterus to check for any issues with my uterus. Next, I was put on injectable medications for ovulation stimulation on day 3 of my menstrual cycle. While on this medication, I went in for blood work & transvaginal ultrasounds to check the function of my ovaries & recrutment/size of follicles with instructions of timed intercourse. I went through about 5 rounds & moved into intrauterine insemination afterwards.
I have not been given this option yet
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Amy, Rachel and Taylor were very open and available 24/7. Especially since we live on another island, their organization and coordination was optimal. They always were encouraging and honest. I am very grateful for them.... The office [ARMG- HI] is very busy. It may seem like you are just a number but you arent. They are very caring and open. The only problem I had was when making my flight arrangements. My insurance had to call the office and verify my appt. Often my insurance would claim they werent able to get thru to verify the appt.
East Asian, Other
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
The office is very busy. It may seem like you are just a number but you arent. They are very caring and open. The only problem I had was when making my flight arrangements. My insurance had to call the office and verify my appt. Often my insurance would claim they werent able to get thru to verify the appt. So I would have to ask my nurse to call them. I think there should be a dedicated line or person for the insurance companies to call so that flight arrangements dont get delayed
The first couple MD visits that we tried to get pregnant with just pills, the office didnt really follow up or call to see how I was doing. Once we moved forward to try IUI and IVF, we were assigned a nurse and thats when it seemed that they cared. Im guessing they wanted to make sure we were serious
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Amy, Rachel and Taylor)
Amy, Rachel and Taylor were very open and available 24/7. Especially since we live on another island, their organization and coordination was optimal. They always were encouraging and honest. I am very grateful for them. I also am so impressed with Zoe, their phelbotomist? She always was cheerful and positive. It kept my spirits high
As we progressed with the IVF treatment, Dr. was more open and warm. I then startesd to trust him more and our treatment plan. He always asked if we had questions and was willing to explain in depth if need be. I never felt like my appts were rushed with him.
Trust in his expertise and dont be afraid to ask questions, no question is ever too small or embarassing.
Since our first IVF cycle only produced one mature follicle, we did an IUI instead to save our IVF benefit for the next cycle. The IUI was unsuccessful so we proceeded to another round of IVF (menopur and follistim injections) but Dr. Fratarelli added Androderm patches for 5 days and then Femara for 5 days . That yielded 6 maturing follicles. Our egg retrieval was 8 total, 6 of them were mature enough to fertilize and of those 3 became embryos for transplant
Our copay 4,000
Kailua Medical Arts
The clinic [ARMG] is very informative, and is very honest. I did not see any weakness. My coordinator help a lot. She recognized that due to my egg quality did not result in a viable embryo transfer that I would be reembursted part of my up front payment.... From nursing staff to the phyician they were a warm empathetic practice. Every step of the process they truly made sure that I was informed, and helped me understand the process. With complete honesty. The one ivf treatment was an emotional process that helped me understand that it had failed due to egg quality.
The clinic is very informative, and is very honest. I did not see any weakness. My coordinator help a lot. She recognized that due to my egg quality did not result in a viable embryo transfer that I would be reembursted part of my up front payment.
From nursing staff to the phyician they were a warm empathetic practice. Every step of the process they truly made sure that I was informed, and helped me understand the process. With complete honesty. The one ivf treatment was an emotional process that helped me understand that it had failed due to egg quality. The physician was empatatic and informative in deciding to continue treatments and alternative options. At the time I chose to take a break, and emotional deal with how I felt. Now I'm both physically and emotionally stronger to take the step to try one more time using a donor egg.
Kind, compassionate and. Very informative. They truly cared about my well being.
Kind compassionate physician that truly cares. About his patients and their individual needs, and addresses the emotional roller Costner I felt that I was on. Answered all of my question, and also being there giving great advice as to the next step.
I would say Dr. John Frattarelli is the only phycian I would go to.
I can't remember most of it step by step. The one thing I do know is that Dr. Frattarelli to add on to my egg stimulation medication to try and increase egg quality. Every step of the way Dr. Frattarelli order medications and treatment to increase my chances for a positive outcome.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
Excellent
7,000.00
I trust Dr. Fratterelli empatically and would follow his recommendation for what is best for me.
John Frattarelli
She [nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii] rushed through explanations, did not provide timely follow ups and we did not feel that we were properly informed of all aspects of treatment and so forth. We went in not knowing much about fertility treatments and left the same. We learned more afterwards from others than we did while at the clinic and with our nurse.
European, Native American, Other
Very pleasant, peaceful environment. However it also had a look that felt very expensive and high tech, which made us feel they were professional but pricey.
The clinic was very busy each time we visited. Nurse assigned to us did not always follow up in a timely manner. When she explained injections and processes she rushed through them as if she was going through a script. We did not feel we got all of the proper information on what was happening and what we could/should do to help the process. (For example what over the counter medicines cannot be taken, the level of physical activity, foods etc.)
She rushed through explanations, did not provide timely follow ups and we did not feel that we were properly informed of all aspects of treatment and so forth. We went in not knowing much about fertility treatments and left the same. We learned more afterwards from others than we did while at the clinic and with our nurse.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
He was pleasant and friendly. He did advise against mutilple embryo transfers to avoid multiple child due to his own experiences. He explained what he was doing, but I felt that he was not that knowledged on endometriosis and appropriate treatment for someone with it. It felt that our treatment was the same as others and we were not advised to do anything different because of it.
Do your own research beforehand, so that you can understand all options available to you by mutilple doctors. Reach out to others with a similar situation as you, to help obtain guidance and suggestions on treatments that worked and those that didn't. Don't rely solely on the doctor to know your own body and how you may or may not react emotionally. Make sure you have a support system in place ahead of time and have reasonable expectations.
Due to my endometriosis and very few follicles, I was given the maximum doses of stimulation drugs. This also caused my endometriosis and ovaries to swell, which also brought on a lot of pain and discomfort. My body was stressed and I do not feel it was in the best position to produce eggs. We only had one to retrieve, which we did and transferred, however it did not implant. It all happened so fast, and I feel the treatment options hurt my body and ultimately our chances of success.
With insurance, around $5,000 out of pocket. However we also had travel expense, and it being Hawaii it was expensive staying overnight. We had about $5,000 additional in travel expenses as well.
2013
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
The staff [Advanced Repro Med] knew my name when i walked in and created me warmly.... Strengths: i feel they are very through and give very individualized treatment. They were expanding as i left so hope they have still kept the very personal care and touch i knew them to have. I honestly can not think of a weakness...my hubby said the tv in the men’s “room” did work so if it’s still out of order perhaps that... Our fresh cycle with out medications cost us roughly 11k. The following frozen cycle was around $5k
2013
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Strengths: i feel they are very through and give very individualized treatment. They were expanding as i left so hope they have still kept the very personal care and touch i knew them to have. I honestly can not think of a weakness...my hubby said the tv in the men’s “room” did work so if it’s still out of order perhaps that..lol
The staff knew my name when i walked in and created me warmly. I never felt rushed or uncomfortable with any of my treatment. Dr fraterelli takes the time to explain treatment options and what would be best for the individual. I genuinely feel like he loves his job of making families come true!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Rosheen)
There are no words for this woman...she cried with me, she celebrated with me, she held my hand when my husband was deployed and wasn’t there for the transfer. This woman is an angel and will forever hold a special place in my heart!
He is patient, warm and kind. He makes you feel comfortable and clearly explains treatment options and his honest opinion on success. I trusted him throughout the process completely! He seems to truly love his job and maleomg dreams come true. I felt like he was cheering us on and doing everything in his power to help us have a child.
Go on with an open mind. Ask tons of questions and trust the process and the dr...if it’s dr. John!
Due to our situation, husband low count, slow and questionable quality swimmers, dr. F suggested IVf. My husband and i wanted to instead try iui, our insurance, tricare, does not cover infertility treatment, due to cost. We tried two rounds of iui with myself being stimulated with no luck. (Dr. F was right...:)) We we’re now ready to listen to put our treatment completely on his hands. Ivf. Stimmed on follistem with no complications. Retrieved 23 eggs 13 made it to embryos. We did a fresh 5 day transfer with no baby. Frozen transfer i don’t recall total portocall but know i took shots in my stomach i believe and the progesterone shots daily. We now have an amazing little boy from this cycle!
Due to my history for recurrent loss, our age, no other children, and acceptance of the possibility for multiples, dr f transferred two embryos on both the fresh and frozen transfers
Kailua Medical Arts
The clinic [Advanced Reproductive Med and Gyn of HI] was always welcoming when you enter the door. The clinic is clean and all the staff has a smile on there face. They make you feel comfortable from the start. I recommend this clinic to anyone in a heartbeat.... Jae [a nurse] was always positive when I was communicating with her. Jae made sure that I understood what to do when I did my shots at home and always returned my call before the end of the day. Jae was always organized and educated.
The clinic was always welcoming when you enter the door. The clinic is clean and all the staff has a smile on there face. They make you feel comfortable from the start. I recommend this clinic to anyone in a heartbeat.
All the staff was warm and welcoming to me and my family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Jae lee)
Jae was always positive when I was communicating with her. Jae made sure that I understood what to do when I did my shots at home and always returned my call before the end of the day. Jae was always organized and educated.
Dr. John Frattarelli always had a smile on his face at each appointment I had. He was honest, caring, and very compassionate. If I had a question he gave a honest answer. He explained at each visit what was going to happen next and I like that. As a patient I felt like I was a queen because I felt very comfortable at each appointment. I felt like I was more than a patient to then because the way they treat there patients.
You would not regret his services. He is so awesome!
I had to do hormone shots. That was uncomfortable at first but it got easier. I did not have any side affects from any medication that I took. I always asked questions about everything. I had to fly to Oahu to do the transfer and they egg retrieval. I did a lot of ultrasounds and at every appointment I had the doctor explained everything that was going to be done.
The total out of pocket cost that I spent was about $6,000
My doctor said that he will only transfer 2 embryos because of the chances of me getting multiples. I wanted 3 but the doctor said 2 is good. I trust him.
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
They [Fertility Institute of Hawaii] are very busy so the appointments are short and to the point. If you feel like you need to be coddled a lot, this may not be the clinic for you. Everyone who works there are is very nice. I did not have a problem with any one there. It was nice to have follow up appointments on Maui.... [nurse] Aisling always took the time to call us and check up on us even after I was released to my OBGYN....
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
They are very busy so the appointments are short and to the point. If you feel like you need to be coddled a lot, this may not be the clinic for you. Everyone who works there are is very nice. I did not have a problem with any one there. It was nice to have follow up appointments on Maui.
Dr. John and his staff were amazing.They were very responsive and easy to work with. I could tell they had our best interests at heart.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Aisling)
Even though she was super busy, Aisling always took the time to call us and check up on us even after I was released to my OBGYN. She even sent my son a gift when he was born.
I saw 3 doctors over the course of 8 years of TTC. Dr. John was by far the best one. He was very warm, easy to talk to, and honest from the start. We trusted him implicitly with our care. His professionalism and bed side manner are top notch. I would highly recommend him to anyone dealing with fertility issues.
Do your research. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
We used an egg donor because Dr. Frattarelli knew that we would not be able to conceive with our own eggs due to previous failed cycles. We used 7 donor eggs, 5 fertilized, 4 became blastocysts and we transferred 1. Our son was born in September 2016.
They were high. We paid $42k for our egg donor cycle.
We chose to trust the doctor's recommendation of a single embryo transfer.
4 IUI, 2 Embryo Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
My IVF coordinator nurse Jae [at ARMG] was amazing. She was warm and compassionate. She answered all of my silly questions and made me feel like she really cared. I feel like she knew me better than my doctor and I spent far much time with her.... Since it was my first IVF she [Dr. Anatte Karmon] used a high dose of meds, as no one knew how my body would react.
4 IUI, 2 Embryo Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anatte Karmon at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
She did not really explain things to me in as much detail as I would have liked. She did not do all of my monitoring, just the egg retrieval. Her bedside manner was not the warmest.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Jae )
My IVF coordinator nurse Jae was amazing. She was warm and compassionate. She answered all of my silly questions and made me feel like she really cared. I feel like she knew me better than my doctor and I spent far much time with her.
How was your experience with Anatte Karmon at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
I rarely saw her, she only did one ultrasound and my egg retrieval. It was my first time doing IVF so I had a lot of questions. I didn't always feel like she had the time to explain things to me. She was a nice person but did not have the warmest bedside manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anatte Karmon at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii?
Other nurses will see you for most of your appointments so she doesn't really get to know you.
Describe the protocols Anatte Karmon used in your cycles at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii and their degree of success.
Since it was my first IVF she used a high dose of meds, as no one knew how my body would react.
Anatte Karmon
Wonderful and professional. He listened to our concerns and answered all questions thoroughly. I highly recommend him. He was personable and understanding. I felt very comfortable with him. Great doctor...[Nurse at ARMG - HI] She always answered my questions. She was so prompt and caring. I miss her. I felt as if she was my friend....Worth every penny plus more....Compassion and empathy...
Compassion and empathy
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Jeongah)
Have faith and stay positive.
Worth every penny plus more.
Honolulu
The nurse practitioner [at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii] that I was assigned to did not take the time to really work with me. There were no follow ups with the procedures, no communications whatsoever...Felt like a number and not like a patient. Very robotic, if you don't fit in their mold of a healthy patient they make you feel unwanted.
Very welcoming and organized
The nurse practitioner that I was assigned to did not take the time to really work with me. There were no follow ups with the procedures, no communications whatsoever
He took the time to explain procedures and course of action but because of being so busy, most time nurse practitioner took over cases.
He looks at all courses of action and what is the best treatment
2012 - 2013
Dr. F seemed to genuinely care about me and my husband's case. He never seemed to be in a rush and took as much time as necessary with us at every appointment.
2012 - 2013
Dr F. is a great communicator and skilled doctor. He was always professional and cordial.
When you are ready to proceed to IVF from IUI, tell him.
John Frattarelli
This clinic [Advanced Reproductive Med and Gynecology of HI] was willing to work with my clinic back home to make my IUI happen while on vacation. It was pretty simple as all of my monitoring was done at my home clinic. They were happy to help and took good care of me.... approx. $230 for an IUI with sperm washing (not including monitoring)... I was doing an IUI while on vacation which was unusual for them but they treated me like they would any other patient -- with care.
This clinic was willing to work with my clinic back home to make my IUI happen while on vacation. It was pretty simple as all of my monitoring was done at my home clinic. They were happy to help and took good care of me.
The nurses were kind, gentle and on top of things.
I wasn't assigned a doctor as we were just doing an IUI. But as a whole it was a good experience with everyone we came into contact with. I'm not sure the name of the person who performed the IUI; she was kind and informative.
No advice. As always, do your research first and pick a doctor that you feel will listen to you and will support you best.
This was an IUI cycle with monitoring, clomid and trigger shot.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anatte Karmon at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii.
approx. $230 for an IUI with sperm washing (not including monitoring)
Anatte Karmon