Honolulu
808.262.0544
407 Uluniu Street
Kailua, HI 96734
808.262.0544

He [Dr. Frattarelli] is extremely professional and very knowledgeable. He may come off as a bit cold at first but I appreciate his honesty and forwardness and trust him. He is very thorough and on top of things. He is out every once and a while but makes sure to be there for the important times....I first met with Dr. F for a preliminary consultation and he took preliminary tests. Based off of that, he found that I had diminished ovarian reserve along with what I already was known to have, a unicornuate uterus with a left non-communicating horned ovary.
I've never been to anywhere that has had more painful blood draws and missed my veins multiple times as the phlebotomists here [ARMG of HI]. They are very nice, just very painful or they have to readjust the needle multiple times (the most was 7-8 times in one sitting). I'd appreciate less turnover in my IVF coordinator, as that would help me to feel more comfortable with the clinic....$3,815K for one IVF cycle with insurance and $1K per egg for genetic testing
How was your experience with John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology of Hawaii?
He is extremely professional and very knowledgeable. He may come off as a bit cold at first but I appreciate his honesty and forwardness and trust him. He is very thorough and on top of things. He is out every once and a while but makes sure to be there for the important times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology of Hawaii?
Make sure to ask a lot of questions. I would recommend this with any doctor. Also, do your own research.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology of Hawaii?
Dr. F would be out at a conference or trip and sub doctors would often not remember me or forget that Dr.F was my primary doctor. Assigned to a new nurse coordinator at least 5 times.
Describe the protocols John Frattarelli used in your cycles at Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology of Hawaii and their degree of success.
I first met with Dr. F for a preliminary consultation and he took preliminary tests. Based off of that, he found that I had diminished ovarian reserve along with what I already was known to have, a unicornuate uterus with a left non-communicating horned ovary. However, he found that the quality of my eggs was still good. We did a baseline check with saline and then I was trained to give myself injections to stimulate my ovaries to produce eggs. 6 eggs were taken out of me, 5 eggs were fertilized, 3 eggs made it to the 8-cell stage and after genetic testing, only 1 was genetically sound. I just finished my second cycle of 3 oral estrace a day (with 1 vaginal estrace at night in the last 3 days of cycle). In the first cycle of oral estrace, my lining only grew to 6.7mm, and then in the second cycle, only grew to 5.1mm. Dr. F said we need to try a different technique and now I'm on provera to induce a period and estrogen patches. I hope that my lining will grow enough in this cycle, but we'll see.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Myra Buenaluz)
This is my 5th nurse coordinator since I've been seeing Dr. F. I started seeing him in April. I would appreciate less turnover, although there hasn't been a lapse in communication.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology of Hawaii.
Having been pregnant and having multiple miscarriages and scheduled d&c's, I've had my fair share of blood draws. I've never been to anywhere that has had more painful blood draws and missed my veins multiple times as the phlebotomists here. They are very nice, just very painful or they have to readjust the needle multiple times (the most was 7-8 times in one sitting). I'd appreciate less turnover in my IVF coordinator, as that would help me to feel more comfortable with the clinic. Other than that, Doctor F is very good and I trust him with what is happening.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Frattarelli at Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology of Hawaii.
$3,815K for one IVF cycle with insurance and $1K per egg for genetic testing (since I had 3 or less) plus an additional $1,500 for cryoperservation. So in total, around $8,315.
Describe John Frattarelli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology of Hawaii.
Since I have a smaller uterus, I can only hold one baby safely. Therefore, the only decision for me was to transfer a single embryo.
Kailua Medical Arts
Very professional, but almost too professional. Dr. F [Dr. Frattarelli] clearly knows what he is doing and instills a sense of confidence - I felt confident he was doing the most he could to help us conceive. However, he does not have the personal bedside manner some other doctors have. One downside was that sometimes the sessions with Dr. F were fairly short so sometimes we would have to ask questions in order to get information we felt was important to us.
The amount of staff available and the organization means the whole operation [Advanced Repro Med] is very smooth and wait times are usually small. Overall its a very professional clinic. That is both its strength and its weakness. I would recommend it for people who really want to conceive as fast and safely as possible. Maybe not so much for someone who wants the care providers to also be a shoulder to cry on/take a more personal approach.
Very professional, but almost too professional. Dr. F clearly knows what he is doing and instills a sense of confidence - I felt confident he was doing the most he could to help us conceive. However, he does not have the personal bedside manner some other doctors have. One downside was that sometimes the sessions with Dr. F were fairly short so sometimes we would have to ask questions in order to get information we felt was important to us.
Expect a very professional medical experience - don't expect the Dr. F to be your best friend and counselor.
Progesterone shots to stimulate egg growth before retrieval; estrogen pills and patch prior to embryo transfer to promote uterus lining growth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology of Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Laine, Lisa, Myra)
the nursing staff were always attentive and organized. The only downside was that after being assigned a nurse coordinator, we were then assigned a new one after a couple of weeks, and then another one a couple of weeks later. IT would have been nice to keep the same nurse coordinator throughout the process.
The amount of staff available and the organization means the whole operation is very smooth and wait times are usually small. Overall its a very professional clinic. That is both its strength and its weakness. I would recommend it for people who really want to conceive as fast and safely as possible. Maybe not so much for someone who wants the care providers to also be a shoulder to cry on/take a more personal approach.
IVF cycle cost $3,800 after insurance payment, genetic testing cost $1,000 for one embryo, and initial cryo preservation cost $1,500
Treated 2015
He [Dr. John Frattarelli] did advise against mutilple embryo transfers to avoid multiple child due to his own experiences. He explained what he was doing, but I felt that he was not that knowledged on endometriosis and appropriate treatment for someone with it. It felt that our treatment was the same as others and we were not advised to do anything different because of it.
She [nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology of Hawaii] rushed through explanations, did not provide timely follow ups and we did not feel that we were properly informed of all aspects of treatment and so forth. We went in not knowing much about fertility treatments and left the same. We learned more afterwards from others than we did while at the clinic and with our nurse.
He was pleasant and friendly. He did advise against mutilple embryo transfers to avoid multiple child due to his own experiences. He explained what he was doing, but I felt that he was not that knowledged on endometriosis and appropriate treatment for someone with it. It felt that our treatment was the same as others and we were not advised to do anything different because of it.
Do your own research beforehand, so that you can understand all options available to you by mutilple doctors. Reach out to others with a similar situation as you, to help obtain guidance and suggestions on treatments that worked and those that didn't. Don't rely solely on the doctor to know your own body and how you may or may not react emotionally. Make sure you have a support system in place ahead of time and have reasonable expectations.
The clinic was very busy each time we visited. Nurse assigned to us did not always follow up in a timely manner. When she explained injections and processes she rushed through them as if she was going through a script. We did not feel we got all of the proper information on what was happening and what we could/should do to help the process. (For example what over the counter medicines cannot be taken, the level of physical activity, foods etc.)
Due to my endometriosis and very few follicles, I was given the maximum doses of stimulation drugs. This also caused my endometriosis and ovaries to swell, which also brought on a lot of pain and discomfort. My body was stressed and I do not feel it was in the best position to produce eggs. We only had one to retrieve, which we did and transferred, however it did not implant. It all happened so fast, and I feel the treatment options hurt my body and ultimately our chances of success.
She rushed through explanations, did not provide timely follow ups and we did not feel that we were properly informed of all aspects of treatment and so forth. We went in not knowing much about fertility treatments and left the same. We learned more afterwards from others than we did while at the clinic and with our nurse.
Very pleasant, peaceful environment. However it also had a look that felt very expensive and high tech, which made us feel they were professional but pricey.
With insurance, around $5,000 out of pocket. However we also had travel expense, and it being Hawaii it was expensive staying overnight. We had about $5,000 additional in travel expenses as well.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine & Gynecology of Hawaii?