Alabama Fertility Specialists

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alabama Fertility Specialists to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 7Neutral: 19.8
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The Clinics [AL Fertility Specialists] strengths are they make you feel important, like you are family. You can really tell they all care not just there for a pay check. My first apporintment there I was so nervous and I felt so defeated because I was actually there. I didnt want to believe it at all. When I left there I felt the complete opposite. I still hated the journey we are on but I had a sense of calming and hope. I knew that with God on my side guiding these doctors, nurses, and staff that we will one day have our miracle!
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
The Clinics strengths are they make you feel important, like you are family. You can really tell they all care not just there for a pay check. My first apporintment there I was so nervous and I felt so defeated because I was actually there. I didnt want to believe it at all. When I left there I felt the complete opposite. I still hated the journey we are on but I had a sense of calming and hope. I knew that with God on my side guiding these doctors, nurses, and staff that we will one day have our miracle! We instantly knew AFS was where we were suppose to be. The only weakness that I would say the clinic has is SOMETIMES the call back time is not up to my standards. Now I am someone who likes a call after lunch if I went in that morning or if I went in that afternoon I like a call back by the next morning. I may be a little impatient when it comes to this so other may think their call back time is perfect. :) This may actually be a weakness of mine and not the Clinic's.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
AFS has always treated my husband and I as humans. They all have a way of making you feel like you are the ONLY patient they have and you are the top priority and concern. All the doctors and staff at AFS play a role in this. Even though Malizia is our primary doctor we have worked with the other doctors as well and they made us feel so good about being there. Also, the nurses walking up and down the hallways stop, call you by name, and give you a big hug! This is really a big deal for me! It makes this journey a little easier knowing you have such a great group of people caring for you! AFS is the BEST!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kendall)
The IVF coordinator Kendall, and the entire nursing staff at AFS is amazing. They call you by name and they remember your story. One of my favorite nurses is Michelle. Every time she sees me she stops me gives me a big hug and tells me she is so glad to see that we have not given up. She was apart of both of our IVFs and she was caring and encouraging the entire time. The entire staff from my favorite receptionist (Leslie), to the Ultrasound tech, to the ladies in the lab and all the nurses are amazing. Dr. Melizia is my primary doctor but the entire office comes together and really makes you feel special.
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Melizia is an amazing doctor. She is very soft spoken she always makes you feel better about having to be there and she instantly feels you with hope. She gives her honest medical opinions. She doesnt just tell you what you want to hear. I appreciate this because I do not want to waste money on a certain course of treatment if it isnt the right fit for me (even though it worked for a friend). I always feel very comfortable asking her questions about what can we do next, well what about this route and she always responds with such a caring and understanding attitude and always explained why it would be a good route or not. I know that Melizia is a very busy doctor but she always takes the time I need with her to answer all of my questions. I never feel rushed or as if she has a 1,000 different things running through her head. This goes back to everyone at AFS makes you feel like you are their only Patient!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
I would tell them that Dr. Melizia is amazing. She will proceed with fertility treatments on your own pace. So if you are ready to go in full force then make sure you tell her!
Describe the protocols Beth Malizia used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
IUI Cycles: 1. We used clomid The first IUI we used the at home ovulation test but come to find out it gave me a false positive so we did the IUI and I had not ovulated yet. So this one was a bust. :( 2. We used clomid again. This time we did a monitored cycle with the trigger shot. I did fully ovulate right on time but it also failed. :( IVFs: 1. 1st round of IVF we were on BC pills for a few months and then we started lupron. We then started with the Follistem pen and Menopur. We continued with the lupron. We triggered and went in for retrieval. We found out they retrieved 10 eggs, only 5 were mature, and only one fertilized. We were a little upset with these numbers but our 1 embyro was a perfect as you could get! This was hopeful! We transferred a 3 day embryo because we only had 1. This cycle failed. :( 2. 2nd round of IVF Dr. Melizia swapped up my meds. She wanted to get more mature eggs. I was only on BC pills for a few weeks and then we started stimming right away with Follistem and Menopur. We later added in ganerelix so that I would not ovulate on my own. This would we had 14 eggs, 10 mature, but still only 1 fertilized. :( It was still a perfect embryo though! This round also failed so then we started trying to figure out why the embryos would not attach.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
First round of IVF - $9,000 + Medicines 2nd round of IVF - $7,600ish + Medicines IUIs - $350ish a piece + Medicines Surgery - $3,000 Monitoring Visits - $30.00
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
They [Alabama Fertility Specialists] are busy. It is hard sometimes to get appointments that fit around a teaching schedule. They also don't have an office in Shelby County so you have to drive to Jefferson County even if it's just for bloodwork.... Trista [a nurse] is incredible. She is loving and caring. She immediately calls back and answers all of my crazy questions.... Dr. Malizia is very intelligent and speaks to us about studies, research, and statistics
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
They are busy. It is hard sometimes to get appointments that fit around a teaching schedule. They also don't have an office in Shelby County so you have to drive to Jefferson County even if it's just for bloodwork.
Dr. Malizia knows our story, she knows about our faith, she wrote me a letter, she asks about our home life and the people in it. She cares.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Trista)
Trista is incredible. She is loving and caring. She immediately calls back and answers all of my crazy questions.
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Malizia is very intelligent and speaks to us about studies, research, and statistics. This helps me because I need things to be tangible and blunt. She does this all so lovingly. She asks about our lives and the goings-on. She asks about adoption and my teaching career and truly listens as you talk. She is apologetic when she knows I'm upset about miscarriages and she comforts me by knowing my history and letting me feel normal to fall apart in her office. She is always ready with a plan, she exhausts all options and possibilities. I have referred friends to her who now have babies or are currently pregnant.
Be ready to hear the truth, the facts, and be ready to have a plan in place before you leave. She will test you for everything.
We completed a full testing cycle with blood work and sperm count. We checked chromosomes, did a endometriosis check, and an HSG to check my uterus and Fallopian tubes. We tried femera for a month, but didn't get pregnant. We upped the dosage for two cycles and still didn't get pregnant. We did IUI with the latter cycle. We tried one more month along with a trigger shot and IUI, but still no pregnancy. I took a break because my body was exhausted.
I cannot remember. Our insurances paid for most costs.
Describe Beth Malizia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
No comments
2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
The clinic [AL Fertility Specialists] is small but I feel that's what makes it great. You are really a person there, not a number. They only do IVF cycles during certain times each year, which means you may have to wait for the next cycle to proceed, but this is so they can focus on IVF patients and give them the attention and care they need for a successful cycle.... The entire staff is wonderful, caring and very helpful every time we are in the office and on the phone as well. I never have to "wait for a call back" when I call and have a question.
2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is small but I feel that's what makes it great. You are really a person there, not a number. They only do IVF cycles during certain times each year, which means you may have to wait for the next cycle to proceed, but this is so they can focus on IVF patients and give them the attention and care they need for a successful cycle.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
The entire office knows my name, and are genuinely concerned about me and my husband. Dr. S is patient and kind and never hesitates to spend time going over my records and answering my many questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Karen Hammond)
How was your experience with Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
I came from another fertility clinic where I went 3 years without any answers. He took the time to review all my records with me, we discussed each test and what the results mean and he made it a priority to deal with my pain first before moving forward to fertility options. He always gives me my options straightforward and then allows me to ask questions and decide how we will proceed. I have never felt pressured to move forward with a treatment unless I was ready to do so.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Be ready to tackle infertility head on. He works to get results. Don't be afraid to ask him questions or ask him why he recommends a certain procedure. He will gladly answer!
Describe the protocols Michael Steinkampf used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
He did laparoscopic surgery to diagnose and remove endometriosis spots first. He then treated my husband for male factor infertility, when we didn't get results there he referred us to the best male infertility urologist in Atlanta for treatment. We then did 3 cycles of IUI with 100mg of clomid and tracking ovulation. Those resulted in negative tests. We are now scheduled for IVF in July 2017.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
Most initial meds were covered under my insurance. (Clomid, etc) The iui is $325 for each cycle. IVF will be around $15,000 including medications, I believe.
Birmingham
The staff [AL Fert Specialists] is friendly and knowledgeable. They are able to help you with most any question that you may have. The two ladies that work at the desk know you by name. The nurses are also nice and get your vitals done quickly... IUI $345, office visit $100... Dr McLean has been a very good doctor to me. She explains all of our problems and discusses what our options are at each visit. When new information is found, she adjusts the plan accordingly without falter.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. They are able to help you with most any question that you may have. The two ladies that work at the desk know you by name. The nurses are also nice and get your vitals done quickly
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr McLean has been a wonderful doctor. She performed by HSG test and I had a uncommon reaction. Dr McLean stayed with me the entire time and helped me dress myself and to my car. She frequently calls me to check in and explains things in a way that is to the point, without being uncaring. I’m so thankful that we use her as our doctor.
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr McLean has been a very good doctor to me. She explains all of our problems and discusses what our options are at each visit. When new information is found, she adjusts the plan accordingly without falter. She is caring and has been a shoulder for me to cry on when things have not gone as planned.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Be upfront with your expectations and your situation. If finances are a concern, say that. She won’t push you into unnecessary tests and procedures.
Describe the protocols Mamie McLean used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
We had planned to do a medicated cycle with IUI. I took Femara, because of my PCOS and did a trigger shot to induce ovulation. We were unable to go through with the IUI because of my husband’s sperm quality the day of, so she drew more labs to further investigate that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
IUI $345, office visit $100
Mamie McLean
Birmingham
During my first round [at Alabama Fertility Specialists] the nurse provided me with information that was different than what the doctor and I discussed...I had a wonderful experience at this clinic from the front desk, to the nurses, doctor, and the lab techs. Everyone was kind and caring...Dr. McLean is very sweet and kind. She is very personable and takes the time to get to know you. I called into the office on the weekend because I had bad back pain and she called me personally to talk to me.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
I had a wonderful experience at this clinic from the front desk, to the nurses, doctor, and the lab techs. Everyone was kind and caring. The one con I had was the nurse telling me differently than what the doctor and i had discussed.
When I first met with her it was evident that she had read my file. She spent so much time just getting to know me and asking tons of questions. She also took the time to explain everything and every medical term she went over.
There were times that I was told different things to do during my cycle than what I had discussed with Dr. McLean. Other than that the nurse that I talked to on a regular basis was very sweet and kind. She returned my calls and answered every question.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Know that she cares
By the time I saw De McLean I had laresdy done 6 rounds of Clomid so she started me on Femarra. I did 3 rounds of Femarra with her. I also had ultrasounds to check follicles. On round 2 and 3 she added a trigger shot. After an unsuccessful roind 3 we were told IUI was our next step.
I paid my co-pay for seeing a specialist of ~$60
Mamie McLean
Birmingham
Its location [Alabama Fertility Specialists - Birmingham] is horrible to get in and out of, parking is kind of bad as well, other than that the staff is friendly and caring and feel like family. Scheduling was never an issue they always put the patient first....they are all wonderful people! As the people you deal with mostly, they are loving and compassionate about your situation....She [Dr. Malizia] was very personable... She is very friendly but does not necessarily explain the whole reasoning of the treatment courses.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
Its location is horrible to get in and out of, parking is kind of bad as well, other than that the staff is friendly and caring and feel like family. Scheduling was never an issue they always put the patient first.
She was very personable
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
She is very friendly but does not necessarily explain the whole reasoning of the treatment courses. Like your numbers are not ideal but does not go into further explanation of why or if that is the cause of infertility
Ask questions
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
They [AL Fert Specialists] are a smaller office so they definitely know you, but there are times where the process was not explained and that you were just expected to know how and when to give yourself the shots. It may not change, but when you had to take a cycle off and with it being such an emotional experience, you want to make sure you're doing everything correctly...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
They are a smaller office so they definitely know you, but there are times where the process was not explained and that you were just expected to know how and when to give yourself the shots. It may not change, but when you had to take a cycle off and with it being such an emotional experience, you want to make sure you're doing everything correctly.
Dr. Steinkampf is a great doctor. You can tell he is very smart. At times he can be too smart if that makes sense. At times you just need someone to talk you through what's going on on your level rather than talk on a doctor level, but you can tell he definitely knows his stuff.
He is a facts kind of guy, not real emotional. Gives it to you straight.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
I kind of get the impression that the IVF patients take precedence [at Alabama Fertility Specialists]. They just kind of do my ultrasounds, tell me what meds I'm taking and then ship me out the door to go get them and do them myself. There isn't a lot of communication about why we're doing things, or what might change, or what the changes could help with. It's like they're just going through the motions.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
It is a smaller office which is a benefit, but you still get the feeling at times that you are just another patient. You cannot reach the nurse practitioner with questions.
She handles the ultrasounds so I actually see Karen more than Dr. Steinkampf which is fine, but I get the impression her IVF patients are more important to her. I have just always felt like they were going through the motions with me.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Steinkampf is definitely a smart man and great doctor. Sometimes you kind of need him to talk on your level, but he gives it to you straight without a lot of emotion one way or the other.
He is blunt and gives you information as a doctor. He is not an emotional man and doesn't coddle you if that makes sense.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, PCOS
They’re so friendly and welcoming. It [Alabama Fertility Specialists] was smaller when I was there and I understand they’re getting bigger but I think just because of the kind of people who work there, it will always feel like a safe place.... They always called me by name and made it feel easy to be there.... She [Dr. Malizia] always spoke to me personally and compassionately. She didn’t always remember every detail but she took time to look in my chart and refresh her memory when she needed to.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
They’re so friendly and welcoming. It was smaller when I was there and I understand they’re getting bigger but I think just because of the kind of people who work there, it will always feel like a safe place.
She always spoke to me personally and compassionately. She didn’t always remember every detail but she took time to look in my chart and refresh her memory when she needed to. It was obvious she wants to make sure everyone gets the right care.
Everyone was always welcoming and friendly. They always called me by name and made it feel easy to be there.
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
I really was not sure what to expect when I was referred to her, but I am so glad that she became my doctor. She was always compassionate and caring. I really wish there were more doctors out there like her.
Don’t feel afraid to ask questions so that you feel comfortable with everything that’s going on.