Birmingham
2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
Birmingham (closed)
2006 Brookwood Med. Ctr. Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35209
356 St. Lukes Dr
Montgomery, AL 36117
800-476-9787

2021, Unknown Success
Dr. McLean appears to be a wonderful physician who truly understands her line of work. She is very thorough in explaining what issues her patient is facing and has went as far as drawing diagrams in order for the patient to have a visual understanding. She has a welcoming and calming personality that is greatly appreciated during this type of medical journey.
As a patient [at Alabama Fertility Specialists] it has been nearly impossible to call the clinic and talk to a person on the phone. The only time I have ever spoken with clinic staff is when I decided to physically drive to the location and ask about what I needed. I called for months to get an appointment and was never able to speak with anyone...the clinic support staff have become an added stressor to an already stressful fertility process
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Transparency is key in order for her to properly treat you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. McLean has been wonderful to work with the one time I have been able to have an office visit. However, when it came to actually getting an appointment with the clinic or getting a call back about my care I have felt invisible. I called for MONTHS and could never get in touch with a real person. I was then referred by my OB and it still took a couple months to get an appointment. Once I had the appointment the office still does not answer the phone nor did they call to set up my next appointment like I was told they would be doing. Lastly, I was never given the results of my bloodwork. It seems as if the staff supporting doctor McLean couldn’t care less about her patients.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Nurses have been impossible to get in touch with or any staff member at the clinic.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
The support staff at this clinic have been well below the bar of expectations I had for this clinic. While they support a great doctor they have not made it easy for me to access the care of my doctor. I attempted for months to get an appointment with no success until I was referred by my OB. I couldn’t even get a person on the phone at the clinic. I had blood work done a week ago and have yet to hear about the results of that bloodwork. As a patient, I expected ALOT more attention to detail, punctuality, and professionalism from the clinical staff.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
As a patient it has been nearly impossible to call the clinic and talk to a person on the phone. The only time I have ever spoken with clinic staff is when I decided to physically drive to the location and ask about what I needed. I called for months to get an appointment and was never able to speak with anyone. I didn’t get an appointment until I was referred by my OB and even then I had to drive to the clinic in order to speak with someone to set the appointment up. I had bloodwork done and no one has yet to call me with the results. I was told I need to have an HSG procedure during my next cycle and no one has called to setup the appointment even after I went to the clinic and asked when they would be giving me a call. I feel the clinic support staff have become an added stressor to an already stressful fertility process.
Mamie McLean
Birmingham

Dr. Allemand is very kind and listens to your concerns. While he is patient and seems like he cares, he doesn't tailor your care to your specific needs. He wanted me to pursue IVF after 2 IUI cycles (only on follistim and HCG) and one bad semen analysis after all the other SA's have been within normal limits. It concerned me that he was pushing IVF without doing ANY baseline bloodwork on my husband.
Very busy clinic [ART Fertility of Birmingham], but efficient. The longest I ever have waited was about 30 minutes. The front desk is amazing and very welcoming. The lab staff are top notch, they never miss a stick and they get it over with quickly:) It takes ALOT to get a nurse on the phone and normally takes a while for them to return your calls, but they answer all my questions when I do speak with them. Ultrasound techs and NPs perform ultrasounds and are very considerate and are sure to tell you exactly what they see. Communication is poor between the patient, NPs and my MD.
How was your experience with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Be an advocate for yourself! Do your research and prepare questions prior to your visit, and write them down as soon as you get your answers, that way you don't forget:)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
During visits (baselines, follicle ultrasounds) you do not see your MD and see a NP, which is ok, but you do not see the same NP each time. I felt like my treatment plan was not personalized for my specific needs.
Describe the protocols Christopher Allemand used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Letrozole and HCG cycles (3x, 1 IUI all with negative beta HCG) Letrozole, Follistim 75u (Resulted in me ovulating early) (x1) Follistim 150u, HCG and IUI (x1 negative beta HCG) Follistim 150u, HCG, IUI canceled due to low sperm count
I have never seen the seem nurse more than twice. Most of the nurses I encounter are nice and friendly, others seem to be "over it".
Very busy clinic, but efficient. The longest I ever have waited was about 30 minutes. The front desk is amazing and very welcoming. The lab staff are top notch, they never miss a stick and they get it over with quickly:) It takes ALOT to get a nurse on the phone and normally takes a while for them to return your calls, but they answer all my questions when I do speak with them. Ultrasound techs and NPs perform ultrasounds and are very considerate and are sure to tell you exactly what they see. Communication is poor between the patient, NPs and my MD.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
IUI with semen prep $395 NP visit $45 MD visit $25 Letrozole $20 Follistim $200 HCG $130
Describe Christopher Allemand's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I was told by a RN to not start progesterone after my last trigger shot and my MD assumed I was on it. When I told him I was told to not start it, he made it seem like it was no big deal, regardless of the fact that my progesterone tends to trend on the low end.

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
I only saw Dr. Honea twice throughout my entire IVF cycle.... When I asked a question about an upcoming appointment, trying to verify that I wasn’t messing anything up, she stopped me mid question and dorected me to ask the IVF coordinator.... When I first met Dr. Honea I fell in love with her personality.... By the end of the IVF cycle, I felt worthless and irrelevant.... With the lack of communication to the failure to discuss lab results which would have greatly effected the results of the IVF cycle.
They [ART Fert of AL] seem to be a popular clinic. The waiting room was always packed. HGTV was always playing in tv. Coffee was available in the waiting room even though majority of us had been told not to drink caffeine.... If you had question you had to call and leave a voicemail. There was always someone new returning your call, and you never knew when they were going to call you back. If you left a message before 2:00, it would be returned that day. Any messages left after 2:00 wouldn’t be returned until the next day.
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
When I first met Dr. Honea I fell in love with her personality. She was relaxed and funny. I left my consultation with assurance that she could provide the best treatment for my husband and me. We chose to use her over another doctor. By the end of the IVF cycle, I felt worthless and irrelevant. Reflecting on everything after the fact is when I realized how little my family meant to her. With the lack of communication to the failure to discuss lab results which would have greatly effected the results of the IVF cycle. I know that there are no guarantees and that IVF is a prayerful plee for positive results, but Dr. Honea took our ability to choose how we went forward. After consulting with a different doctor, we realized that I had a low AMH which would have been the reason I had a low number of eggs retrieved. Dr. Honea only said my labs were good. At the time, I believed her. Now, I wish she would have talked to me about my labs and my options.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Make your own decision, but I would steer clear of ART Fertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
I only saw Dr. Honea twice throughout my entire IVF cycle. I met her at our consultation and again at my embryo transfer. I spoke on the phone with her twice. The first time when she called to discuss my husband’s genetic screening. When I asked a question about an upcoming appointment, trying to verify that I wasn’t messing anything up, she stopped me mid question and dorected me to ask the IVF coordinator. The second phone call was when she called to tell me that my pregnancy was nonviable and i had to either stop my Progesterone shots and have a natural miscarriage or continue the shots and schedule a D&C. The third phone call never happened. We were scheduled for a phone conference at 8:30 in the morning. She called at 9:00. I was unavailable. She rescheduled the phone conference for 2:30. Her secretary called to reschedule it for 3:30. No one ever called back. No one. Not Dr. Honea, not the secretary, no one from the clinic called me back.
Describe the protocols Kathryn Honea (retired) used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
I was prescribed Gonal-F, Menopur, and Cetrotide for 10-12 days. I took Pregnyl (HCG) before the retrieval and Progesterone in Oil after. The Centrotide was added after my first scan after my baseline, around Day 3 or 5 perhaps. It caused a small reaction at the injection site that lasted for about 30 minutes, not painful. The Progesterone in Oil started causing hard knots in my muscle and itching on the skin after a couple of days. The nurse suggested warming the medicine a little before injecting. It helped a little.
I met a new nurse with every visit. They seemed to smile and nod and go about their day to day routine. I had one nurse call me and tell me that my schedule was wrong and I was going to have to wait. After I got upset someone called and apologized for her miscommunication. There was one or two nurses that I spoke to several times and actually learned their names. They were great. Hailey and Lauren. Everyone else is a blur.
They seem to be a popular clinic. The waiting room was always packed. HGTV was always playing in tv. Coffee was available in the waiting room even though majority of us had been told not to drink caffeine. I always found that ironic. The wait time was never more than 30 minutes. They were very quick to get you in and seen. They have a large staff so there was never a friendly face to greet you at the door. If you had question you had to call and leave a voicemail. There was always someone new returning your call, and you never knew when they were going to call you back. If you left a message before 2:00, it would be returned that day. Any messages left after 2:00 wouldn’t be returned until the next day. I never felt like I knew what was going on even after asking the same questions every time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
We had to pay a little over $13,000 for the egg and sperm retrieval, fertilization, and the embryo transfer. Other labs and monitoring fees cost a few thousand.
Describe Kathryn Honea (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I only had 1 embryo available for transfer. Out of the 6 eggs retrieved, 5 matured, 4 fertilized. 3 embryos fragmented which left us with 1 embryo available to transfer. Besides only having 1 available embryo, nothing was ever mentioned about an eSET.
Communication is not important to this clinic. After I requested my husband’s and my own records to be sent to our new doctor, I had to go back and call them because they didn’t send everything. They left out mainly things that dealt with my husband. His infectious disease screening and his results from when they retrieved sperm. I had one nurse telling me my next step was to have one test runner and another telling me I wouldn’t be ready to continue until something (I honestly don’t remember what she said) had been done.
Kathryn Honea (retired)
Birmingham (closed)

[Dr. Christopher Allemand] was not compassionate about our failed ivf. I felt more like a number & they only wanted our money. No other options where giving about next steps etc when we received the call that none of our eggs made it...I was put on a basic ivf protocol...I did speak with him regarding transferring two embryos he did not like the idea We didn't get that far into our IVF since sadly none of our embryos made it to transfer...
The nursing staff [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] was okay.If I had questions I had to call a number and leave a voicemail and wait for them to call back at the end of the day...I had blood work go missing and had to redo the same blood work more then twice...I had to go in for monitoring appointments when they scheduled them...Strengths- None, Unfortunately I do not have a comment for any strengths. Weaknesses- Show more compassion,Make your patients feel like a human not a number, Better communication, Be more organized.
Dr.Allemand was not compassionate about our failed ivf. I felt more like a number & they only wanted our money. No other options where giving about next steps etc when we received the call that none of our eggs made it. There was no rhyme or reason Infertility is so sensitive and people that work in the field should show huge compassion twords the ppl they are "helping" I felt no compassion from Dr. Allemand When in passing threw the drs office he would just nod his head as if he was saying hello and wouldn't stop and speak to even ask how things where going.
Do your research on the clinic. Be your own advocate! Everyone is different and has different expectations for things This is not the clinic for me I wouldn't consider being a patient here again
When working with this Dr office they knew we where traveling 4 hours to the office and back home each time we came. We wouldn't be told that we needed to come back the following day until we got back home. It took forever for me to get a hold of anyone if I ever had any questions. I also wasn't taught how to give my shots.
I was put on a basic ivf protocol When I received my meds I did not no how to administrate them After speaking to other infertile women that have went threw the ivf process they stated that their drs office did a class with them on home to prepare the shots etc None of that was done for us I felt like we where on our own threw everything.
The nursing staff was okay.If I had questions I had to call a number and leave a voicemail and wait for them to call back at the end of the day. Not very convenient when you are spending thousands of dollars you should be able to get top of the line care and be able to speak to someone whenever they are needed.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I had to go in for monitoring appointments when they scheduled them.
I had blood work go missing and had to redo the same blood work more then twice. I was not told multiple times that I would need to come back to the clinic the following day they where aware that we lived four hours away so all in all it was a 8hr round trip ( Huge inconvenience )

2015, Unsuccessful
I felt like since I had to go to a satellite office (since it was the closest of their offices to me), I had a lot of ultrasounds with no discussion at all about what was going on. If I wanted to see the Dr., I either had to schedule a video conference, which took over a month...
How was your experience with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Strengths were that I did eventually get in to do an exploratory laparoscopic surgery to evaluate the structure of my reproductive organs. Weakness - Although I had already been trying for over year and a half to get pregnant before I came to Houserman, it still took her over 7 months to give me any kind of diagnosis and she was willing to suggest I do costly fertility treatments, even if my problem could have prevented them from having any chance of working. I went to Dr. Houserman the first visit and gave her a comprehensive list of my health problems (heavy, long periods; back pain; pelvic pain; pain during intercourse; bowel trouble and bleeding bowel). What I know now is that all of these symptoms were reason to look into whether my problem was endometriosis. Instead, she prescribed me fertility medications which contained estrogen, which makes endometriosis worse and increases the inflammation, which decreases the chance of an egg getting fertilized and implanting. I feel like the 7 months and the hundreds of dollars I spent on fertility injections were a complete waste of time and money. Weakness - they do not do excision surgery on endometriosis and perpetuate the false information that burning off endometriosis with a laser will treat it and increase your chances of fertility. In reality (there is scientific evidence to back this up), the endometriosis can grow back as soon as the month after the surgery, so there is no guarantee that you have any period of better fertility. Instead of referring endo patients to an excision specialist, they continue to prescribe fertility meds and recommend iui and/or ivf without telling you anything about your decreased chances in those working if the endo grows back. Weakness: Do not give you any information on the possibility of any of your problems being cancerous. I went in the month after my lap surgery and was told I had a 7 cm cyst on my ovary and not given any information on the type of cyst, the precaution I should take to not increase the chances of the cyst growing bigger, or given any reason as to why a cyst that large popped up in a mere 3 weeks after my lap.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Do your research on all possible infertility problems before you visit her and if you think you might have a particular problem that they have not looked into or diagnosed, push for the specific tests that can diagnose that problem. Also, set your boundaries with her up front to let her know if you do not have the financial means to do iui or ivf. That way, she knows to be honest with you and tell you there is nothing more she can do to help you besides doing one of those procedures. It will eliminate wasting more time and money.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
No, I felt like since I had to go to a satellite office (since it was the closest of their offices to me), I had a lot of ultrasounds with no discussion at all about what was going on. If I wanted to see the Dr., I either had to schedule a video conference, which took over a month, or I had to drive an additional 2 hours to the main office, which still took over a month to get in. During the video conferences, I felt like nothing was discussed in depth and I was given short answers, if any at all. We never got to the bottom of the problem of what was wrong with me, I was just always encouraged to do iui, even though my husbands' sperm was tested and proven to be more than good two times. Even though I felt that I had endometriosis and was told there might be a polyp in my uterus, I was still told to try iui until I pushed hard for exploratory laparoscopic surgery. I was not even told the lap was an option until I was 6 months into the treatments. I initially thought they would study my case individually, not just push me into a treatment that was not specifically designed to treat my condition.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Sheena)
They had one nurse practitioner at the Montgomery satellite office. Her name was Sarah and she was the only person who would give you medical information or evaluate your records and ultrasounds. Most of the time they would not schedule you with her. They would schedule you with the regular nurse, Sheena, who would not even look at your ultrasound or tell you anything about it. She would not volunteer info about test results. You had to ask her and pull it out of her. All she did was look at the plan Dr. Houserman created for you and ask you if you were ready for her to put the prescription in to the mail order pharmacy. So, unless you saw Sarah, there was really no point in even having an ultrasound. Unfortunately, as of last week, Sarah is no longer there and it is only Sheena.
They never gave me the results of my PCOS or blood clotting test. When I followed up with the nurse, Sheena, and asked about the PCOS results, at an appointment for bloodwork, Sheena told me "it's possible." I asked her to elaborate and also tell me why I was not told. She said there was one area that my levels were elevated, but I was probably not told because they probably just entered the "it's possible" result so that my insurance would cover it. I was even more confused and worried than before I took the test and still have not received any kind of explanation about this. I had my baseline testing at the beginning of my cycle that I was going to try iui for the first time. I was really excited and hopeful since I had just had a lap and supposedly my uterus was clear and all organs looked good to conceive. During my baseline ultrasound, I was told I had a 7cm cyst and I did not need to have sex or have my cycle followed at all. I was in complete shock. No one told me what kind of cyst or gave me any instructions for care. They just scheduled me for an appointment to come in for another ultrasound 2.5 weeks later. That is a long time to question what is going on with yourself, could it be cancerous, could it burst. I am still waiting for that appointment.
Virginia Houserman
Montgomery

2015, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Christopher Allemand] was very compassionate and always responded to our questions/needs in a timely manner. Sometimes we felt that we did not fully understand what was expected of us or what we could be doing to improve our success. I also found out that my Vitamin D was very low during that time and maybe should not have continued with the cycle.... I took birth control for a month then was on stimulation medications (gonal-f and menopur) for about 2 weeks. We triggered with HCG. Following transfer I was put on crinone.
It was a very large clinic [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] and we often were seen by multiple nurses and at their satellite clinic as well. I felt like it was a well oil machine, and we were not any different than their other patients.... The clinic was very organized and operations seemed very smooth. However, this made me feel like another number and not like a unique patient with unique needs. This was our first cycle and it seemed we should have known more.
He was very compassionate and always responded to our questions/needs in a timely manner. Sometimes we felt that we did not fully understand what was expected of us or what we could be doing to improve our success. I also found out that my Vitamin D was very low during that time and maybe should not have continued with the cycle.
Ask questions and be your own advocate.
It was a very large clinic and we often were seen by multiple nurses and at their satellite clinic as well. I felt like it was a well oil machine, and we were not any different than their other patients.
The nursing staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. However, we were seen at the main office and satellite office, so we saw various nurses.
The procedure itself cost around $12,000- medications and monitoring appointments not included.
We were able to decide between 1 or 2. However, we only had 1 poor quality embryo to transfer.