2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
Birmingham (closed)
2006 Brookwood Med. Ctr. Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35209
356 St. Lukes Dr
Montgomery, AL 36117
800-476-9787

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Bouknight is a true professional who cares about her patients. She works tirelessly to find answers. She is honest, but shares hard information in a thoughtful way...She has laughed with me, cried with me, and has been and integral part of our journey. She has listen to me and my requests, researched new scientific studies and changed my treatment based on what we have found.
I have struggled with the care of the IVF coordinators and nurses at the practice [Alabama Fertility Specialists]. I have been at the practice for almost 4 years and have had many nurses. I have caught many mistakes on the calendars sent to me and have had to advocate for myself a lot. I believe this is why Dr. Bouknight does all the appts herself... I fee as though many of the office staff and nurses , not the doctors, see me as a number not a human.
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. Bouknight is a true professional who cares about her patients. She works tirelessly to find answers. She is honest, but shares hard information in a thoughtful way. My husband and I believe she cares about us and wants us to have a baby as badly as we want to have one. When we finally got pregnant, we lost the baby at 8 weeks. She cried with us and did everything she could to make our painful situation better. She is a wonderful doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Be honest with her. Share openly your feelings and emotions, she can take it and will help you work through any problems you encounter.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
I have 100% felt like a human with Dr.Bouknight. She has laughed with me, cried with me, and has been and integral part of our journey. She has listen to me and my requests, researched new scientific studies and changed my treatment based on what we have found. Although we have not been successful yet, I trust her and believe that she will keep trying until I have a baby in my arms.
Describe the protocols Janet Bouknight used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Fresh IVF cycle #1- resulted in no fertilization due to inconsistent estrogen levels Fresh IVF cycle #2- used ICSI and no Lupron. Estrogen level plateaued, eggs retrieved, took 10, 6 were healthy on day 5. Transferred 1 embryo, started bleeding 4 days later. Frozen IVF cycle1: Lupron, estradiol, progesterone protocol- transferred 1 embryo- bled on day 4. Tests run, progesterone low. Frozen cycle 2: progesterone increased, no bleeding- transferred 1 embryo- no pregnancy Frozen cycle 3- same protocol, chemical pregnancy. Performed hysteroscopy- removed polyps Frozen cycle 4- lost 1 frozen embryo. same protocol, transferred 1- negative test Fresh cycle 3: worked with Dr. Hill to get second opinion, did a new protocol with different shots and Lupron. Retrieved 14, 3 were okay on day 5. Genetic testing done on one due to viability- testing abnormal . Frozen cycle 5: same Lupron, estradiol, progesterone protocol, put in 2 embryos- negative test. Received donor eggs with Dr. Bouknight guidance. 6 were fertilized, 5 viable on day 5. Hysteroscopy #2 - clear. IVF transfer #7- same frozen protocol, transferred one, got pregnant with monochorionic twins, both had strong heartbeats at 6weeks, we lost them at 8 weeks. D&C done the next day. Currently started my 8th IVF cycle for frozen transfer with donor eggs. Adding a micro dose steroid and baby aspirin to the mix due to my thyroid antibody level being 205. We pray we have success!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Kendall Boling)
I have struggled with the care of the IVF coordinators and nurses at the practice. I have been at the practice for almost 4 years and have had many nurses. I have caught many mistakes on the calendars sent to me and have had to advocate for myself a lot. I believe this is why Dr. Bouknight does all the appts herself.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
All doctors are knowledgeable, caring, and professional. However, you have to be your own advocate. You have to question things that don’t seem correct. I fee as though many of the office staff and nurses , not the doctors, see me as a number not a human. I have caught many mistakes in my 4 years and was grateful that I was so diligent in my own care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
IUI- covered by insurance Fresh IVF- $10k Fresh with ICSI- $12k Frozen- $2500
Describe Janet Bouknight's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Bouknight definitely prefers single embryo transfers due to the risk of multiples. Whenever she changed a variable she kept it at one embryo. When we had our last 2 embryos in our last cycle with my eggs, we put in 2 due to their low quality.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
As I stated before, I have found mistakes on my calendars due to my protocols not being standard. These were corrected when I brought awareness to them.
Janet Bouknight
Birmingham

She [Dr. Honea] would advise us to have intercourse following trigger shot. We would come a week later for a progesterone check and then a week later for a pregnancy check. She also said we would be a candidate for IUI when we decided we wanted to go forward with that treatment...I felt like she listened to what we were struggling with and then came up with a game plan for us...She explained that we may not have success right away but assured us that she would walk with us and change treatment action according to what the outcome was and what our preference was.
She [nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] has always made me feel at peace and is so compassionate. She asks about my husband any time he is not able to make appointments and also remembers little details about us...I have really had no complaints from them. They are very accommodating and very reliable...They are very organized and work with my schedule. They walk with me as they are going through every step, every time we are there. Not only do they make sure I understand everything, they take the time with husband and makes sure he is understanding of all that we are doing this round. I
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
She sat with us after gathering all the data and came up with a game plan. She explained that we may not have success right away but assured us that she would walk with us and change treatment action according to what the outcome was and what our preference was.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Relax. She has your best interest at heart.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the protocols Kathryn Honea (retired) used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
We went on Femara from days 5 to 9 of each cycle. And then would receive a trigger shot around day 14 of the cycle. She would advise us to have intercourse following trigger shot. We would come a week later for a progesterone check and then a week later for a pregnancy check. She also said we would be a candidate for IUI when we decided we wanted to go forward with that treatment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Mary is her primary nurse. And I love her. She has always made me feel at peace and is so compassionate. She asks about my husband any time he is not able to make appointments and also remembers little details about us.
They are in the middle of a construction zone right now in the Huntsville office, which is not their doing but a little hard to get to considering. They are very organized and work with my schedule. They walk with me as they are going through every step, every time we are there. Not only do they make sure I understand everything, they take the time with husband and makes sure he is understanding of all that we are doing this round. I have really had no complaints from them. They are very accommodating and very reliable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Between office visits, medications and procedures we have spent well over $1,000 in the last 2 months.
Huntsville

We love Dr Honea. She has always treated me like a human being, not just another number. She is very experienced and compassionate. She has personally called us when problems have arose and when I found out I miscarried. She is straight forward and always tells us what our next step is... For IVF we decided to try the Shared Risk refund program where payment is due upfront and 3 IVF cycles are included. We paid $18,800 for 3 cycles, which doesn’t include the stim meds or monitoring office visits. The IVF cycles include egg retrieval and transfers and if ICSI is needed as well.
It [ART Fertility Program of AL] is a large clinic with multiple doctors so sometimes I have felt like just a number when traveling to the main Birmingham office. I understand they are busy, but I have encountered mistakes and miscommunication between myself and some of the staff members. It was pretty discouraging even with how much we love our doctor.
I have been lucky to *mostly* speak with the same nurse, Lauren. However, at such a large practice I have had to speak to other nurses. I️ always feel way more comfortable just speaking with the same nurse because it feels more personal. I have come across some nurses that are not very compassionate and it feels like they’re just scooting me along or I have asked a stupid question. I’ve often told my husband that just because the nurses deal with so many patients everyday and have probably become custom to all of the weird questions, they should still try to show more compassion, sometimes the bluntness is a little harsh.
It is a large clinic with multiple doctors so sometimes I have felt like just a number when traveling to the main Birmingham office. I understand they are busy, but I have encountered mistakes and miscommunication between myself and some of the staff members. It was pretty discouraging even with how much we love our doctor.
We started with an IUI and I️ think the cost was around $300. But we did a sperm freeze as well so I believe that was another $300. I don’t exactly remember how much the medicine cost. For IVF we decided to try the Shared Risk refund program where payment is due upfront and 3 IVF cycles are included. We paid $18,800 for 3 cycles, which doesn’t include the stim meds or monitoring office visits. The IVF cycles include egg retrieval and transfers and if ICSI is needed as well. We have had two egg retrievals so that means two rounds of shots each time costing around $1,400. Normally I pay $35-75 per office visit when an ultrasound is needed, which is every week after a positive pregnancy test is confirmed.
Describe Kathryn Honea (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Dr Honea has strong opinions on multiple births. I have gathered because of my age that she prefers to transfer just one embryo at a time. After this miscarriage we may move onto two embryos next transfer. But she is very weary of multiples and the risks of carrying multiples.
During our first IUI with the clinic we waited for ever because there was miscommunication with the different nurses and what we were doing that day. We had to make a quick decision whether we wanted to use my husbands fresh sperm or a frozen sample he had given before. The nurse called us when we had left the office and wanted an answer right then (we only had about 3 tiny vials of sperm) and weren’t sure what we wanted to do. More sperm samples meant driving 2 extra hours. We made it decision and called the nurse back only to speak with a different nurse. When the nurse practitioner finally came in to perform the IUI, we asked where the frozen sperm was and she said she wasn’t told we were using frozen sperm. I was furious. So the sperm we needed to use was still frozen and we had to wait an additional hour and a half in this tiny room for it to thaw. I think just with speaking with multiple nurses that day none of the information/decisions were relayed properly between nurses.
Birmingham (closed)

I've enjoyed working with Dr. Allemand thus far. He is a good communicator and thoroughly addresses my concerns and answers my questions. He is obviously very knowledgeable and passionate about his patients. I have not identified any concerns about his care.... He is logical and works in a stepwise fashion, wanting to avoid any unnecessary treatment. This philosophy aligns with my goals, but may not align with every patient's goals.
I have generally enjoyed working with Tracey and the ART team in Montgomery. They are caring and compassionate and provide patient-centered care.... I did have one situation in which an appointment I had scheduled was not recorded in their system. However, this was because they had recently hired a new front-desk clerk and the error occurred in training. I have had no other such issues.... Strengths: small and reasonably efficient; you're usually able to get in and out efficiently for normal monitoring appointments
How was your experience with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. Allemand had reviewed my information prior to my visit, was very responsive to my questions, and comes up with a personalized plan. He may not be as warm/outgoing as some other doctors, he was personable and related to me well.
Describe the protocols Christopher Allemand used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
letrozole only letrozole + Follistim combo cycle for more flexibility with dosing and to assist with thickening of my endometrium Follistim only due to timing and to facilitate thickening of endometrium
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mendelsohn)
I have generally enjoyed working with Tracey and the ART team in Montgomery. They are caring and compassionate and provide patient-centered care. My only critique about Tracey is that sometimes there ends up being small detail-related issues about scheduling or follow-up.
Strengths: small and reasonably efficient; you're usually able to get in and out efficiently for normal monitoring appointments, staff is generally nice and personable Weaknesses: none that come to mind
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
My copays for general visits are ~$60 for the clinic, which includes ultrasound and labs.

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
She [Dr. Kathryn Honea] also had to remove a large fibroid on my uterus that was causing me pain and maybe the cause of me not getting my periods... She would then start me on cycles of estrace, progesterone, and a round of metaformin because my blood glucose was extremely high and they thought that I might have PCOS...After about 2 years Dr. Honea came to the conclusion that I was pre-menapausal, and that I may not get my period again,but she continued wit the estrace and progesterone in order to build my lining for the donor eggs; because she said that would be our best option for having children.
The Birmingham nurses [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] are the main points of contact, and are in charge of the nursing line. I don't get to talk to the nurses in Huntsville unless I schedule an appointment. I think that her nursing staff are pretty nice, but I would like to be able to speak directly with the nursing staff at her Huntsville office since I deal with them more often than the Birmingham nursing staff. Both nursing staff are very helpful.
My experience as a patient with Dr. Honea has been pretty good. I think that she is very knowledgeable and I respect that she is easy to talk to. I really respect her that she has gone through a similar process to conceive her children, and that she was very understanding when we had to re-start our the process because my dad passed unexpectedly prior to us being the donor egg transfer; which put a lot of stress on our family. She makes you feel like you are not crazy for your feelings, and that you are not broken but just have to find a different way to become a mom. She has been our doctor for more than three years, and we would recommend her to other people. She has a personality that makes you feel comfortable and at ease, and makes you feel like become parents. She makes me feel comfortable and at ease, and answers any questions that I might have. I really appreciate her honestly, and I really like the fact that she is spiritual as well. She has made my husband and I experience pretty good, and help answer our questions.
A piece of advice that I would give a patient coming to Dr. Honea would be to come with any questions that you may have. Don't be afraid to ask your questions, and don't think that any question you ask are weird or not right to ask. You want to make sure that you questions and concerns are addressed, and don't be afraid to ask again if you don't understand. Don't be afraid that your questions are stupid or that you may have asked them more than once.
I think I feel like a number sometime because I don't have a direct contact with her office. I have to call the nurses line, and then wait all day or even sometimes two days to hear from them. I think because her practice is so large that you feel like a number because there are some many patients. Also, with her main practice being in Birmingham; its hard a lot of the time to get in touch with her even though she has an office in Huntsville. Moreover, I am a patient at the Huntsville office. The staff at the Huntsville office are amazing, but I don't have direct contact with them if I have any questions, and everything is funneled through the Birmingham office, which makes it difficult. Sometimes, it feels like being a number because I don't have someone directly that I can call with questions. I think that if my care was designed specifically for me and they would stay in contact with me more, I wouldn't feel so much like a number.
When I first started with Dr. Honea, I believe some of the first strategies that she used involved trying to get my period started. She used clomid, and birth control pills to try and get my period started, but I wasn't able to get my period started. She also had to remove a large fibroid on my uterus that was causing me pain and maybe the cause of me not getting my periods. After the surgery, she still continued to try and start my period, and I did get my period at least twice, but then it stopped. She would then start me on cycles of estrace, progesterone, and a round of metaformin because my blood glucose was extremely high and they thought that I might have PCOS. Moreover, when I would go for a uterine lining check, it was not thick enough, and my levels were not were they needed to be, so they would start the process over again. I continued on the cycles for about 2 years, switching my medicine out from estrace and progesterone to metaformin. After about 2 years Dr. Honea came to the conclusion that I was pre-menapausal, and that I may not get my period again,but she continued wit the estrace and progesterone in order to build my lining for the donor eggs; because she said that would be our best option for having children. However, I had to stop my cycles when my dad passed away unexpectedly in 2016, and I wasn't able to really start again until January of 2017. When I started treatment again, she also tried a round of Lupron shots for about 2 months in to get my lining and numbers up to par in order to get ready for the frozen egg transfer. She stopped the lupron shots because I still didn't get a period, but my lining was adequate and she ordered a SIS, and HSG back in October of 2017 which came back normal, as she wanted to make sure that my body would be ready to receive the donor eggs. I have continued to be on the metaformin, estrace, and progestrone for now until do select a donor from MyEggBank.
I think that the Nursing staff at her Huntsville office are great. I don't have that much direct contact with the nursing staff at Dr. Honea main office in Birmingham. I think that her nursing staff in her Huntsville office are so nice and compassionate, and I really enjoy her staff there. The nurses at the Birmingham office I have only spoken to over the phone, and they seem pretty nice. The Birmingham nurses are the main points of contact, and are in charge of the nursing line. I don't get to talk to the nurses in Huntsville unless I schedule an appointment. I think that her nursing staff are pretty nice, but I would like to be able to speak directly with the nursing staff at her Huntsville office since I deal with them more often than the Birmingham nursing staff. Both nursing staff are very helpful.
I would describe the ART of Program of Alabama strengths as follows:Knowledgeable and caring physicians and nurses; More than one location;Welcoming staff; Some weekend appointments offered;Lots of resources available regarding infertility; Answers your questions and helps you understand the processes involved with the ways you can become parents. Another strength would be the scheduling process. I would say that some of their weaknesses would be not being able to email the office with questions, not being able to speak with nurses at your designated clinic directly, and not having a specific nurse assigned to you.
My insurance did not pay for any of my expenses with Dr. Honea; however, my husband's insurance did pick up some of the cost. Moreover, I was still responsible for payments that our insurace didnt cover such as medications such as Lupron that cost $179.00. Exams that would cost between $200 to $250. I have come out of pocket for medications, office visits/exams SIS, HSG, and the our psychological consult that we did prior to registering with MyEggBank. In total we have spent roughly $6,500 out of pocket.
Dr. Honea will be doing a single embryo transfer which I am okay with since this is our first time doing it, and we wanted to make sure that if it didn't work on the first try, that we had another embryo to try.
I sent in some paperwork regarding completing my medical information for a grant that my husband and I were applying for and they didn't return the forms back to us, so we had to re-request for them to complete them again.
IUI With Other Docs
[Dr. Mamie McLean] met me outside her office in the hallway, after hours, to talk with me about my anxiety and make sure I was ok. She is reassuring, kind and operates out of place of encouragement and positivity....She is confident when she presents explanations and information. She gives the sense that she understands and believes in the treatments she is giving...Ultrasounds were used to check ovaries and eggs, and also to monitor the size of cysts on ovaries. I was prescribed Letrozole and then given the trigger shot. Then I had an IUI.
As I’m sure with many clinics and offices, when you call [Alabama Fertility Specialists] you have to leave a message and wait for a call back...The clinic is great. The atmosphere is positive and upbeat. The staff is friendly and helpful. The one weakness I experienced was that they seemed to be very busy, almost too busy for the amount of patients they were seeing... [The nurses were] Very friendly, upbeat, positive.
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Mamie met me outside her office in the hallway, after hours, to talk with me about my anxiety and make sure I was ok. She is reassuring, kind, and operates out of place of encouragement and positivity. She is confident when she presents explanations and information. She gives the sense that she understands and believes in the treatments she is giving.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Ask a lot of questions at the beginning
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Mamie met me outside her office in the hallway, after hours, to talk with me about my anxiety and make sure I was ok. She is reassuring, kind and operates out of place of encouragement and positivity.
Describe the protocols Mamie McLean used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Very friendly, upbeat, positive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Around $1000 per cycle
The clinic seems extremely busy. I had a day when I was waiting on results and the nurse did not call as I was told she would. I went to the clinic as they were about to close and was told someone would be staying late to catch up and make calls, and eventually they did call me that evening. I would have preferred someone had at least called earlier in the day to let me know it was going to be late before I heard from anyone. As I’m sure with many clinics and offices, when you call you have to leave a message and wait for a call back.
Birmingham

I was concerned about my weight, and I wasn't having cycles on my own. She [Dr. Houserman] told me it was a non-issue, as my treatments were essentially controlling my hormones and their roles for me. I took a break for over two years. I lost 40 pounds, and came back to her for treatment again. When I visited her for a new consult, she said they weightloss was great, but another 40 pounds would be even better... I was confused because years earlier, it seemed to be a non-issue. Anybody who's ever gone through fertility treatments knows what a difficult task it is to lose weight while injecting all of these meds. I didn't lose any weight during the next 7 months of treatment, but I didn't gain any either. My follicles definitely responded better this time, as I was ready to trigger just 10 days in! I went through 7 months of treatments, each ending with a negative beta.
out of pocket they [IUIs] were around $400 per cycle. IVF starts around $11,000 per individual cycle [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama]...The Montgomery clinic is a small satellite clinic for the main office in Birmingham. The doctor is only at the satellite office when visiting a new patient. All interactions with the doctor from the satellite clinic are via video conference. The Montgomery office is small, but I've never had to wait more than just a few minutes to get back to a patient room.
How was your experience with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. Houserman is very realistic, without being overly blunt. She will answer any questions you may have, but over my entire course of treatment, I've only seen her a few times. Almost all of my interactions have been through the Nurse Practitioner. If I do "meet" with Dr. Houserman, it's a teleconference. If I want to meet in person, I have to drive to Birmingham, which is over 2 hours away. When she comes to the Montgomery clinic, it's only for new patients. It makes me feel like a level of personal understanding of my needs and goals is not being met.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
She is practical and realistic. She is not overly soft & sensitive, so if you're looking to be hugged and coddled, she is not the doctor for you. She is warm and kind but matter-of-fact when it comes to prognosis, treatment, etc.
Describe the protocols Virginia Houserman used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
I have PCOS. I initially went to Dr. Houserman years ago, but my follicles would never grow to maturity to do a trigger shot. I was concerned about my weight, and I wasn't having cycles on my own. She told me it was a non-issue, as my treatments were essentially controlling my hormones and their roles for me. I took a break for over two years. I lost 40 pounds, and came back to her for treatment again. When I visited her for a new consult, she said they weightloss was great, but another 40 pounds would be even better. I was confused because years earlier, it seemed to be a non-issue. Anybody who's ever gone through fertility treatments knows what a difficult task it is to lose weight while injecting all of these meds. I didn't lose any weight during the next 7 months of treatment, but I didn't gain any either. My follicles definitely responded better this time, as I was ready to trigger just 10 days in! I went through 7 months of treatments, each ending with a negative beta. I started out with clomid+menopur for a couple of cycles, then just menopur, then increased menopur, then follistim+menopur. The longer I continued with treatments, the slower my follicles began to grow. It's as if my body was just tired, and nothing was working. I met with her a couple of months ago, where she told me I had made a 'valiant effort', but it was time to move on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy)
Tracy is a very good listener. She's honest, compassionate and optimistic, which is exactly what you need when you're going through this process. She, too, has gone through treatments, so she understands the whole process from the patient's side.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Insurance did not cover IUIs, so out of pocket they were around $400 per cycle. IVF starts around $11,000 per individual cycle.
Virginia Houserman
Montgomery

Dr. Houserman is a very knowledgeable and nice woman. She is blunt which I am ok with. Her bedside manner is pretty good. During a procedure she was very confident and reassuring, though quick. She is like most doctors where her time is stretched a bit and it’s a quick interaction...The first strategy was IUI. And if/when those didn’t work we would start something more in depth.
[ART Fertility Program of Alabama] Strengths would be: Warmth. In all things they have been nothing but loving Knowledge. They are good at answering questions and if they don’t know the answer finding someone who does And comfort. They make sure that through everything you are comfortable and at ease through the processes Weakness: ? I’ve tried to think of one and am at a loss for input
Don’t wait. If you think you need to see a specialist then do it. Houserman will do all in her power to try and get you to your end goal
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Being at a satellite location I don’t get to see houserman much, but when I do she has been slightly in between. The first consultation she was more indifferent which I believe was because she didn’t have all of my info yet. She is very thorough
The first strategy was IUI. And if/when those didn’t work we would start something more in depth. New plans are being set at the moment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy and chasity )
The nurses are amazing at Montgomery. They are caring and knowledgeable about fertility. Through treatment they really helped us to feel loved and involved in the whole process
Care and pricing seems about the same as all specialists in AL.
Virginia Houserman
Montgomery

dr McLean has always take the time to explain everything to us, all options and potential outcomes. ... Excellent bedside manner, takes ample time to explain. 100% trust her judgement. ... She met with us several times to walk through the options as we were unsure of which path we wanted to take. She never rushes and asks questions and answers questions. ... We have not yet had a successful treatment but still working with her to get there. We’ve moved from IUI to IVF and hope to start our IVF this summer.
Friendly, pretty efficient overall. Convenient location. Scheduling and billing are easy. Everyone [at Alabama Fertility Specialists] is nice, helpful and answers questions or will get the answer. Weekend appts were made when required due to timing. They didn’t act upset to have to be there on the weekend which was comforting. Be prepared to wait and be happy when you don’t end up having to wait. It’s hit or miss but I appreciate that they don’t rush you when it’s your turn.
dr McLean has always take the time to explain everything to us, all options and potential outcomes. We have not yet had a successful treatment but still working with her to get there. We’ve moved from IUI to IVF and hope to start our IVF this summer. She met with us several times to walk through the options as we were unsure of which path we wanted to take. She never rushes and asks questions and answers questions.
Trust her judgement
We did IUI 3 times with clomid, FSh and trigger shots. She adjusted accordingly after the first round.
Everyone is nice overall. Shauna is great, she does the ultrasounds. Michelle is a little more reserved but still nice.
Friendly, pretty efficient overall. Convenient location. Scheduling and billing are easy. Everyone is nice, helpful and answers questions or will get the answer. Weekend appts were made when required due to timing. They didn’t act upset to have to be there on the weekend which was comforting. Be prepared to wait and be happy when you don’t end up having to wait. It’s hit or miss but I appreciate that they don’t rush you when it’s your turn.
Costs included office visits, meds, ultrasounds, IUI, testing, etc. All costs were in line with other local fertility treatments.
Describe Mamie McLean's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
2013 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Cecil Long] is familiar to the infertility journey within his own family and makes him relatable.... In preparation for IVF, I had lots of blood work and ultrasounds along with an SIS and a HSG done. We did an IVF cycle in which I produced 8 eggs. Eggs and sperm were fertilized and we ended up with 5 healthy embryos. A fresh transfer was performed ~5 days later with 2 embryos. Two weeks later, we had a negative pregnancy test. After 1 year, I began taking Estrace to stimulate estrogen production for preparation of frozen embryo transfer. An endometrial scratch was performed to increase thickness of endometrial lining. After 30-45 days on estrase, we had a frozen embryo transfer performed. Two weeks later, another negative pregnancy test. Two years later. I got back on estrase and had a hysteroscopy performed.
The staff [at ART Fertility Program of AL- Birmingham] is somewhat friendly but no different than any other urgent care or general doctor’s office. We never felt very much warmth and empathy for the sturggles we had physically, mentally, emotionally or financially,.... In preparation for IVF, I had lots of blood work and ultrasounds along with an SIS and a HSG done. We did an IVF cycle in which I produced 8 eggs. Eggs and sperm were fertilized and we ended up with 5 healthy embryos. A fresh transfer was performed ~5 days later with 2 embryos. Two weeks later, we had a negative pregnancy test. After 1 year, I began taking Estrace to stimulate estrogen production for preparation of frozen embryo transfer. An endometrial scratch was performed to increase thickness of endometrial lining. After 30-45 days on estrase, we had a frozen embryo transfer performed. Two weeks later, another negative pregnancy test. Two years later. I got back on estrase and had a hysteroscopy performed.
How was your experience with Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Very likeable - explained things in detail - relatable to our situation. Willing to help in any way. Personable and never felt rushed or hurried in consultations. Tried many avenues for a successful outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
He is familiar to the infertility journey within his own family and makes him relatable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
He was very down-to-earth and always willing to answer any questions.
Describe the protocols Cecil Long used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Janet)
Very disappointed in the overall staff and the lack of empathy felt throughout the office.
The staff is somewhat friendly but no different than any other urgent care or general doctor’s office. We never felt very much warmth and empathy for the sturggles we had physically, mentally, emotionally or financially,
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
~$24,000
Cecil Long
Birmingham (closed)
Dr. McLean is very personable and explains everything in a clear, easy to understand manner. She has a great bed-side manner. She also worked with us to find cheaper solutions when our insurance wouldn't cover certain tests. However, she is never on time for appointments, so we are left taking more time off work than intended...
[our doctors'] nurse always returns my phone calls properly and does everything she can to answer my questions...This [Alabama Fertility Specialists] clinic always runs an hour behind schedule. Also, it is impossible to get their billing staff to answer the phone. While the physicians do what they can to provide you with lower cost alternatives, this practice doesn't participate in any risk-sharing cost measures.They are also located at a very inconvenient location along 280.
Be prepared for the clinic to be an hour behind schedule.
Mamie has always taken time to answer all questions I've had and very personable.
We have only done IUI so far, but Dr. McLean wanted us to try IUI first since it is such a lower cost procedure.
The entire nursing staff is professional and caring. Dr. McLean's nurse always returns my phone calls properly and does everything she can to answer my questions.
This clinic always runs an hour behind schedule. Also, it is impossible to get their billing staff to answer the phone. While the physicians do what they can to provide you with lower cost alternatives, this practice doesn't participate in any risk-sharing cost measures.They are also located at a very inconvenient location along 280.
An IUI at this clinic, with ultrasound monitoring and bloodwork but not including medication, cost $637. Just the IUI was $260.
Birmingham

We only just started going but she [Dr. Beth Malizia] gave us a clear process to follow such as what would come first then try IUI. Her office has been very good to return our cals for scheduling and lab results. We feel very relieved and supported.... Know you will have labs the first appointment. Tell her all your history but you will probably start a lot of trhe testing all over again.
We got a refferal appointment quickly [at Alabama Fertility Specialists- Birmingham]. They say you can go as fast or slow as you need or want in treatment. We have only been to thw actual office once. Another did my HSG and she has wonderful bedside manner... Haley has been great about returning my calls and answering questions. She is fast about sending in lab orders.
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
We only just started going but she gave us a clear process to follow such as what would come first then try IUI. Her office has been very good to return our cals for scheduling and lab results. We feel very relieved and supported.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
The nurse always returns my calls, even after hours. Dr. Melizia met with me And mt husband for a while.
Describe the protocols Beth Malizia used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Again, we just started but I did bloodwork at the first appointment. I got my results back and only one of my levels is slightly off. I have done an HSG and should start IUI and medication on my next cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Haley)
We got a refferal appointment quickly. They say you can go as fast or slow as you need or want in treatment. We have only been to thw actual office once. Another did my HSG and she has wonderful bedside manner.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
$150 copay for HSG, about $500 for IUI
Beth Malizia
Birmingham

I was on the antagonist protocol With my first cycle [with Dr Allemand], it wasn’t as hoped for. I’m going to do the Lupron flare with my second cycle... Felt like he rushed through the embryo transfer. Made me very nervous. My transfer was delayed an hour Due to another surgery. He always gives us plenty of information and options based on what we can afford. He seems to be knowledgeable about my problems and what we can do for them.
[ART Fertility Program of Alabama] Failed to do my husband sperm analysis the day we were there and he had to go back for a separate day And hour away and take off of work...IVF $12,000, other Monitoring and tests $10,000...Ask what your specific diagnosis is and why you cannot get pregnant and what else can you do such as supplements and extra medications. They told me after the first cycle that I could be on vitamins that could increase my egg quality. I would’ve known that I would’ve been taking the vitamins to begin with.
Be sure to ask what your other options are before making decisions.
The doctor knew about our specific information. Always gave us options.
I was on the antagonist protocol With my first cycle, it wasn’t as hoped for. I’m going to do the Lupron flare with my second cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Renee)
Always called To inform me of any changes or questions that we had an a reasonable amount time. Came and talked to me after the retrieval.
IVF $12,000, other Monitoring and tests $10,000
2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
Dr. Steinkampf is definitely a smart man and great doctor. Sometimes you kind of need him to talk on your level, but he gives it to you straight without a lot of emotion one way or the other... He is not an emotional man and doesn't coddle you if that makes sense.
I kind of get the impression that the IVF patients take precedence [at Alabama Fertility Specialists]. They just kind of do my ultrasounds, tell me what meds I'm taking and then ship me out the door to go get them and do them myself. There isn't a lot of communication about why we're doing things, or what might change, or what the changes could help with. It's like they're just going through the motions.
How was your experience with Michael Steinkampf (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Steinkampf (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
He is blunt and gives you information as a doctor. He is not an emotional man and doesn't coddle you if that makes sense.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Steinkampf (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
It is a smaller office which is a benefit, but you still get the feeling at times that you are just another patient. You cannot reach the nurse practitioner with questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Karen Hammond)
She handles the ultrasounds so I actually see Karen more than Dr. Steinkampf which is fine, but I get the impression her IVF patients are more important to her. I have just always felt like they were going through the motions with me.
As I mentioned before, I kind of get the impression that the IVF patients take precedence. They just kind of do my ultrasounds, tell me what meds I'm taking and then ship me out the door to go get them and do them myself. There isn't a lot of communication about why we're doing things, or what might change, or what the changes could help with. It's like they're just going through the motions.
Michael Steinkampf (retired)
Birmingham

He [Dr. Christopher Allemand] was great and listened to me well. He was open to my feedback and adjusted the treatment plan according to what I wanted. I will say I only saw him for the initial consultation and for procedures, but otherwise saw nurse practitioners (who were also wonderful). No complaints...He spent time talking to me, recognized me outside of the clinic and said hello, and was generally friendly.
[ART Fertility Program of Alabama is] Really great and organized. They seem like they really care about their patients. They are friendly, they work with you, and they are very compassionate. You mostly see nurse practitioners instead of doctors during your visits, but they are so knowledgeable and caring and do a great job. Very pleased with the care I get at ART
He was great and listened to me well. He was open to my feedback and adjusted the treatment plan according to what I wanted. I will say I only saw him for the initial consultation and for procedures, but otherwise saw nurse practitioners (who were also wonderful). No complaints.
You are in good hands
So wonderful and caring
We have probably paid around 1,000 for medications, ultrasound, procedures, and office visits.