2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
Birmingham (closed)
2006 Brookwood Med. Ctr. Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35209
800-476-9787
356 St. Lukes Dr
Montgomery, AL 36117
800-476-9787

Dr. Long took the time from our initial consultation to get to know me, my husband, our family history, and our plans as parents...Don’t hesitate to ask questions or tell him when you can’t afford a particular medication, injection, procedure, etc...they will find a way to change something up so that you can receive treatment without paying an outrageous price...
[nurse of ART Fertility]If I call her line to ask a question, she almost always answers. If not, she returns my call within a few minutes...They work so well with one another and they ensure their patients are well taken care of... paid over $1,200 in copays and parking. We also paid almost $1,000 in medication and injections...
How was your experience with Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr Long has so many good qualities about him and his bedside manner as a doctor. I have nothing negative to say about him. During our initial consultation, he gave my husband and me his personal cell number and told us to call/text him whenever we had questions or concerns. One Friday I went in for labs to determine if I was pregnant, and his office staff did not get my labs back in time before they closed for the weekend. Dr Long took the time to go into the office the next morning (Saturday), check my results, and call my husband and me directly to speak to us and let us know the heartbreaking news. He always makes me feel as if I am well taken care of and as if I am an actual patient that he knows personally. I will forever recommend Dr Long to any of my friends who face infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Don’t hesitate to ask questions or tell him when you can’t afford a particular medication, injection, procedure, etc. He and his staff are phenomenal in what they do, and they will find a way to change something up so that you can receive treatment without paying an outrageous price.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr Long took the time from our initial consultation to get to know me, my husband, our family history, and our plans as parents. During that same meeting, he completed extensive tests to determine if there were easily identifiable reasons for why we could not become pregnant even after a year of trying. Even though we have not had a positive pregnancy test yet, Dr Long still goes above and beyond to give us the best care possible and encourages us to remember the end goal while continuing treatments. We love Dr Long and his entire staff. They make us feel at home and loved while we’re there.
Describe the protocols Cecil Long used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Most months, I begin taking 2.5 mg of Letrozole on cycle days 5-9. Letrozole helps me to grow follicles since I only ovulate on my right side. I then go in for my follicle check on day 9, and that would determine when I needed to take my trigger shot (Ovidrel—ordered from a specialty pharmacy in New Jersey). Once I take my trigger shot, we usually would go in for our IUI the next day. After our IUI, Dr Long would ask me to vaginally take progesterone which would help me to sustain a pregnancy if I had gotten pregnant.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Hannah (Dr Long’s radiologist) is the most precious human being I have ever met! She also takes the time to get to know each patient, and she prays over us each day on her way to/from work. She is just as eager as we are for us to become parents, and she does whatever she can to help us achieve our dream. Katie (Dr Long’s head nurse) is also precious. If I call her line to ask a question, she almost always answers. If not, she returns my call within a few minutes. The receptionist and other nurses are also amazing women who go above and beyond for all of their patients. They truly make me feel like I am home when I am there!
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
The clinic overall is absolutely phenomenal, and there are no weaknesses that I can identify. They work so well with one another and they ensure their patients are well taken care of and everyone has the same end goal: to help their patients become parents!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Last year from August 2019-December 2019, mg husband and I paid over $1,200 in copays and parking. We also paid almost $1,000 in medication and injections.
Cecil Long
Birmingham (closed)

We clicked with Dr. McLean instantly. She has a great personality and is a great doctor. She is always very thorough (you will want to take notes) and doesn't make you feel rushed. She makes sure you feel confident in the plan and fully understand that plan...We did two cycles (after a recovery cycle) with Femara and Ovidrel. We were unsuccessful the first cycle but got pregnant the second cycle
Everyone [at Alabama Fertility Specialists] is amazing. I felt well taken care of by every single person. The ultrasound techs, phlebotomists, and the lovely ladies at the front are all amazing. Just relax as much as you can and know you are going to be taken care of...probably spent roughly $3K+ between medications, visits, and surgery.
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Take notes and don't be afraid to ask questions. She is VERY thorough so it can be information overload at times.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Every single person from the ladies at the front desk to the lovely people in the labs were rooting for me. They were my cheerleaders and it showed.
Describe the protocols Mamie McLean used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
We did multiple rounds of Femara that were unsuccessful. We did an HSG and endometrium biopsy that came back positive for a benign polyp. Dr. McLean gave me antibiotics to help with inflammation and said we could try three more months of Femara and if no success or another miscarriage we would have to do surgery for the polyp. Those three cycles were all negative so we proceeded with a laparoscopy. She found endometriosis and removed it (via excision), tested my tubes while she was in there, and did a D&C to remove the polyp and clean my uterus out to give us a fresh start. We did two cycles (after a recovery cycle) with Femara and Ovidrel. We were unsuccessful the first cycle but got pregnant the second cycle. This last cycle was our last try before Dr. McLean wanted to move onto IUI.
The nurses are amazing. Michelle and Tyrie (maybe misspelled) were so sweet and pleasant to work with.
Everyone is amazing. I felt well taken care of by every single person. The ultrasound techs, phlebotomists, and the lovely ladies at the front are all amazing. Just relax as much as you can and know you are going to be taken care of.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I haven't really crunched the numbers, but I believe we have probably spent roughly $3K+ between medications, visits, and surgery. My insurance covers very, very little.
2014 - 2020, Unsuccessful
IUI With Other Docs
[Dr. Mamie McLean] is the most caring Doctor I have ever experienced! She gave me the option on which treatment I felt comfortable with and gave me all options and the success rates...Dr. McLean was very upfront about transferring no more than 3 with my condition and not knowing how my body would react...I was diagnosed with PCOS...gives me the courage and confidence to continue to the next treatment
Everyone in the [Alabama Fertility Specialists] clinic is upbeat and positive. They are understanding and willing to work with your needs and schedule. I can't think of a weakness other than the wait time can get a little long sometimes...Alyssa is an amazing nurse. She is always smiling and makes conversation with me and my husband. She is very compassionate and always returns my calls very promptly when I need anything.
Dr. McLean took over when Dr. Steinkampf retired and she is the most caring Doctor I have ever experienced! She gave me the option on which treatment I felt comfortable with and gave me all options and the success rates! She cried with me when my Invocell IVF failed, but gives me the courage and confidence to continue to the next treatment!
Keep an open mind and let her guide you through and don't be afraid to ask questions.
I was seeing Dr Stienkampf before he retired and he was so wonderful! Now I see Dr. Mamie McLean. She replaced him and she is the absolute best! Very caring, compassionate and understanding!
I have been on this journey for 8 years, but I will try my best... I started in 2014 with Dr. Steinkampf. I was diagnosed with PCOS. We first tried around 8 cycles of Clomid, Ultrasounds and timed intercourse. Each one we thought was the one. I eventually had to take a break and get myself together. I was still trying the Clomid off and on for about 3 years, but was not getting anywhere. I started seeing Dr. McLean in 2018 (I think). I wanted to jump right in and try Invocell, but she talked me into trying Femara for a few cycles. They ended up failing, so we went ahead and tried Invocell in June 2019. I was not an easy procedure for me, but I pushed through. We retrieved 12 eggs and 8 of them fertilized. Sadly none of them made it past Day 4. We did not get to transfer any of them. I was heart broken again and decided to take a few months off. I feel out only option is Full IVF, but my insurance doesn't cover it. I will try an IUI in June or July unless a miracle happens and I win the lottery!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
Everyone in the clinic is upbeat and positive. They are understanding and willing to work with your needs and schedule. I can't think of a weakness other than the wait time can get a little long sometimes. New patients need to have all their records sent over and be willing to try anything even if you have already tried it and it failed...
Usually everything was covered under my insurance except co-pays and deductibles for the Clomid Cycles. The Invocell and medicine was not covered. The Invocell was $6,000. The medicine for Invocell was $4,600 for me. My insurance didn't cover any of it. I actually would have paid more for the Menopur if they ran it through my Insurance.
Describe Mamie McLean's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Dr. McLean was very upfront about transferring no more than 3 with my condition and not knowing how my body would react. She let me make the decision, but sadly we never got that far.
2020, Unknown Success
I have seen her [Dr. Bouknight] every single visit to the clinic. She is so sweet and attentive. I completely trust her with our fertility plan...She is very sympathetic to our situation and really seems like she is invested in us getting a living child. She really makes us feel like she is on our side and not pushing unneeded medical treatments.
[Alabama Fertility Specialists nurse] will always call and let you know any and all info as soon as they know and she even calls to check up on me. She also always returns calls the same day...I feel cared for there. Not like a number or cattle being rushed through. They even moved locations recently and the office is so beautiful. It's like a spa. Doctors are great, nurses are great, office is great. It's really unlike any medical experience I've ever had.
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
I have seen her every single visit to the clinic. She is so sweet and attentive. I completely trust her with our fertility plan. We have not had any success yet, but I know if she can't help us get it done then it can't be done. She is very informed and stays up to date in her field. I would recommend her to anyone with any kind of fertility issues
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Just show up and do what she says!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the protocols Janet Bouknight used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
I have had a surgery to remove fibroids from my uterus and heparin injections and low dose aspirin for a blood clotting disorder and Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. We talked about wanting to cover all our bases and be extra cautious to avoid another miscarriage. We are still working on it but I feel confident that her treatment plan is the best plan for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Yvonne)
Yvonne is the sweetest and she always calls me. It's such a burden off my shoulders to not worry about having to call to ask about test results etc. Yvonne will always call and let you know any and all info as soon as they know and she even calls to check up on me. She also always returns calls the same day. I just love her plus she has a good sense of humor.
I just love this clinic I can't even think of one critical thing to say about it. I feel cared for there. Not like a number or cattle being rushed through. They even moved locations recently and the office is so beautiful. It's like a spa. Doctors are great, nurses are great, office is great. It's really unlike any medical experience I've ever had.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
My insurance covers most of what I pay so I'm not really sure.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Mclean was wonderful. She is so caring. Even though my last surgery did not go like either of us had planned I know she is really on my side wanting the best for us. She has tried so hard....She really gets to know her patients and creates an individual plan for each....Did an invocell cycle using menopur( tons of it) and the injections that keep you from ovulating I forgot what they were called then trigger shot.
This clinic [Alabama Fertility Specialists] is very efficient. There office staff is amazing. They try to get you in and out as quick as possible. You have so many appointments for this and they know most of us need to get back to work to pay for all of this. They are always kind....An iui is only $324 each plus your monitoring. Clomid is cheap. I spent a ton on follistim. Every iui that had follistim and hcg injection cost me about $2,000. The invocell cycle cost was $4,000. But I had to spend $6,000 in fertility drugs to go with it.
With her there are no weaknesses. She is an amazing doctor. This whole infertility journey I’ve been on has been filled with tons of heartache. She has supported me every step of the way.I trust her with any decision she makes. She has my best interest at heart. She really gets to know her patients and creates an individual plan for each. She wants everyone to leave with a baby they have been praying for.
To just relax. I know I hated hearing when someone told me that. But they were right. I was so worked up and consumed by this whole process. Worrying won’t change a thing. She is gonna take care of you.
In the beginning, I initially came to her because we had tried for over a year with no results. My periods were very irregular. So we decided to try oral femara, I believe 2.5 mg for cd 5-9. First month negative. Second month I was pregnant. 5wks 3days. Ended in chemical loss. Did four more cycles with no progress. Moved onto iui with clomid and hcg injections. Did two cycles of that with no progress. Did two more iui’s using follistim and hcg injection. No progress. Had my first surgery to remove endometriosis and remove some scar tissue on my cervix and found a weird Fallopian tube. It flushed so we kept it in.Two more iui’s with follistim and hcg injection. No progress. Did an invocell cycle using menopur( tons of it) and the injections that keep you from ovulating I forgot what they were called then trigger shot. 4 eggs retrieved. All placed in device. Husband always has great numbers. Waited the three days. Once opened one egg ended up not being mature. Only three were mature and two made beautiful perfect embryos. Since I had spent so much money out of pocket we had decided to implant both and not spend all that money to just freeze one. No pregnancy. Had surgery again to remove bad Fallopian tube we suspected to now be a hydrosalpinx. During surgery to or surprise both Fallopian tubes were totally blocked. She had to remove both so my chances at another egg retrieval would be the best they could possibly be. Wasn’t what we had planned but here we are. I’ve spent all our saving. Nothing left to do ivf with now. If I had a chance to do a total full ivf cycle I truly believe I will be successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Kendall is the IVF coordinator )
They were all wonderful. It was easy to communicate with them. I traveled so far for my treatment I had a lot of phone interaction. They were all great
This clinic is very efficient. There office staff is amazing. They try to get you in and out as quick as possible. You have so many appointments for this and they know most of us need to get back to work to pay for all of this. They are always kind.
These treatments were spaced out over two years for me. My heath Insurance literally covers nothing. The fertility drugs are so expensive. An iui is only $324 each plus your monitoring. Clomid is cheap. I spent a ton on follistim. Every iui that had follistim and hcg injection cost me about $2,000. The invocell cycle cost was $4,000. But I had to spend $6,000 in fertility drugs to go with it. Had two surgery’s in one year. There again my health insurance is a joke. The first one I spent $3,000 in deductibles. The second one was about $900.
She prefers single embryo transfer. However my case I only had two day 3 embryos. If I had gotten 4 or 5 embryos I could have froze the rest and just impalnted one. We didn’t see spending more to just freeze a single embryo and then pay a ton of money to do a frozen transfer later.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
We did many rounds of of timed intercourse and only one was successful but ended in miscarriage [protocol with Dr. Houserman]. We’ve also done two IUIs which were both unsuccessful. We used follistem injections and letrozole to help me have more follicles and better chances of conceiving...is very caring, and personalized a treatment plan specifically for my husband and I. She is somewhat straight forward, but we like that. We definitely feel like she genuinely cares for us.
My main nurses [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] were wonderful! They helped me through every process, answered my millions of questions, and gave me hope. They are beautiful ladies with hearts of gold!...there was just one time that I wasn’t called with lab results, only they documented that they did call. Not a big deal in the long run...Overall, the clinic is run pretty well. The staff is friendly, and they all seem to truly care about their patients. Labs come back properly and calls are returned promptly, most of the time. I enjoy the ladies that work there.
How was your experience with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Overall, Dr. Houserman and my experience have been very positive. I like how caring and positive she is. However, she is also very straight forward, which is something I don’t mind. She also is only willing to try treatment plans that we are comfortable with. She doesn’t try to push certain treatments or procedures we aren’t ready for. We very much enjoy her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Some people might think that her being straight forward is harsh, but she’s very genuine and has a good heart. So, don’t mistaken that for her being rude or uncaring.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. Houserman is very caring, and personalized a treatment plan specifically for my husband and I. She is somewhat straight forward, but we like that. We definitely feel like she genuinely cares for us.
Describe the protocols Virginia Houserman used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
We did many rounds of of timed intercourse and only one was successful but ended in miscarriage. We’ve also done two IUIs which were both unsuccessful. We used follistem injections and letrozole to help me have more follicles and better chances of conceiving. So far it just hasn’t been our time. However, we are still trying.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy/ Chasity )
My main nurses were wonderful! They helped me through every process, answered my millions of questions, and gave me hope. They are beautiful ladies with hearts of gold!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I have pretty good insurance. It covered most of my treatments and procedures. But I definitely wouldn’t be able to afford everything without the insurance I have now.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
There was just one time that I wasn’t called with lab results, only they documented that they did call. Not a big deal in the long run.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Bouknight] is on the conservative side when it comes to treatments options, so if you want to be more aggressive, I would seek a different path. She genuinely cares for her patients, spending time with them and being completely honest with them...discussed with us the fact that she does not perform selective reduction. She informed us we would not be transferring more than 2 embryos at a time. This hasn't been an issue for us since each IVF cycle has produced 2 or less embryos.
Kendall [nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists] has always answered any questions we might have, never hesitating to contact a physician if she was unsure of what to tell us. During our miscarriage, which was over a weekend, she responded to an email within less than 5 minutes by calling us directly...IUI=$324...each Monitoring visits=$30 each...have been providing us with care for over 10 years now (my partner carried our first child, who is now 9).
Dr. Bouknight is obviously one of the smartest individuals I have ever communicated with, yet she can explain things to us in an understandable manner. Over the course of this journey, she has become more like family than our doctor. She still exemplifies the pinnacle of fertility care, but also exhibits compassion, which is so important when facing infertility. She is the first one to hug us at every visit, and ask about our entire family. She is conservative and methodical when it comes to selecting a treatment plan; she will never subject your body to more than it can handle. I have no doubt she wants us to leave this experience with a baby as much as we do.
Prepare to be cared for by one of the best in the business. She is on the conservative side when it comes to treatments options, so if you want to be more aggressive, I would seek a different path. She genuinely cares for her patients, spending time with them and being completely honest with them. You will probably have to wait a few months for an appointment, as the practice has grown tremendously over the past few years.
Dr. Bouknight has always spoken to us as though she genuinely cared for us. I have no doubt she is doing everything she can to get us a healthy baby. She jokes with us, laughs with us, and even identifies herself as "Janet" when she calls us.
Clomid was prescribed to me several months in advance before trying to get pregnant. I took this for several months before even attempting an IUI. Treatment #1: IUI with Clomid=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #2: IUI with Clomid=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #3: IUI with Clomid=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #4: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #5: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl (increased dose)=negative (Bouknight) Treatment #6: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl (increased dose)=negative (Bouknight) Treatment #7: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl (increased dose)=negative (Bouknight) Treatment #8: IVF/Antagonist Protocol: Estrace, Gonal-F, Cetrotide, Menopur, Pregnyl, PIO (after transfer)=2 embryos created, frozen, transferred-positive pregnancy test/Chemical pregnancy Treatment #9: IVF/Flare Protocol: Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur, Pregnyl -this cycle was changed to an IUI after ultrasounds showed fewer follicles than anticipated-PIO shots continued after procedure until a negative pregnancy test. Treatment #10: IVF/Antagonist Protocol: Estrace, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Novarel: 1 embryo created and frozen-planning to transfer in June
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Kendall Bolling)
Kendall has always answered any questions we might have, never hesitating to contact a physician if she was unsure of what to tell us. During our miscarriage, which was over a weekend, she responded to an email within less than 5 minutes by calling us directly. This is a great example of the compassion she exhibits during procedures and consultations.
Alabama Fertility Specialists have been providing us with care for over 10 years now (my partner carried our first child, who is now 9). Over the years they have become like a family to us. They genuinely care about our family and sending us home with a baby after all of this is over. The only weakness I can think of is the fact they have grown so much over the past few years they are outgrowing their office space. When you have so many success stories and are paving the way for fertility treatments, patients flock to you!
IUI=$324 each Monitoring visits=$30 each Egg retrieval procedure=$9,000 Frozen embryo transfer=$2,000 Sperm sample refreeze=$400 Various surgical procedures (copay)=$250-$400 Medications=around $4,000-$5,000 for IVF rounds
Describe Janet Bouknight's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Dr. Bouknight discussed with us the fact that she does not perform selective reduction. She informed us we would not be transferring more than 2 embryos at a time. This hasn't been an issue for us since each IVF cycle has produced 2 or less embryos.
Birmingham

Dr McLean always made sure that we never left with any questions unanswered. If we had any other questions, we could always call and ask without hesitation. She took her time to explain everything and always adjusted our plan based on the previous treatment cycle. She is extremely thorough and doesn’t leave any stones unturned. ...
They [Alabama Fertility Specialists] are always very timely about getting you in and out of your appointments. The support staff in the office is always very helpful. They only have a half day of clinic on Fridays, so it can occasionally get a little crazy around there at times, but it’s not every Friday. ... If I ever had questions or concerns, Michelle [nurse] was always very good at calling me back and making sure she got me timely and accurate information. During a health care crisis that I had she was very supportive and even told me that if I just needed someone to talk to that I could call her for support.
Be prepared to ask questions. She is so thorough that you may forget to ask something small you were thinking about but she is always excellent about making sure you are comfortable with the plan and making sure you don’t leave feeling uneasy about anything.
We never feel like she doesn’t have time for us. Whenever we see her, she takes as much time as is necessary to fully explain everything and make sure that a of our questions are answered. She also takes into consideration our needs and feelings.
My first two iuis we used clomid 100 and then 150 respectively. I had already tried two regular cycles of clomid 50 with no result from my Gyn. My last two cycles of iui we used Letrozole with gonal-f. The gonal f was 37.5 units for the third cycle and 75 for the last cycle. Unfortunately none of our iui treatments were successful but they did produce good follicles. Due to having already used clomid 4 times with no success she wanted to change our protocol to try for a different result but my husband also has low sperm counts. She was very hopeful that the change in medication would be the trick but we are now moving on to ivf to hopefully combat our issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
If I ever had questions or concerns, Michelle was always very good at calling me back and making sure she got me timely and accurate information. During a health care crisis that I had she was very supportive and even told me that if I just needed someone to talk to that I could call her for support.
They are always very timely about getting you in and out of your appointments. The support staff in the office is always very helpful. They only have a half day of clinic on Fridays, so it can occasionally get a little crazy around there at times, but it’s not every Friday.
My appointments with Dr McLean were covered under my insurance, which was a $40 copay. The regular ultrasound and monitoring appointments were $30. Our iuis were $324 for each of them plus our medication. We have been quoted $10,960 for IVF with ICSI plus our medication costs.
During our work up she discussed that in our case she would only recommend a single egg transfer. She believes it is safer for mother and baby in our circumstances.
Birmingham

Since our first appointment Dr. Allemand had been very helpful and informative. He did somewhat get my hopes up by saying I'm young and thin and I'll have no problem getting pregnant. That was 5 months ago...But he's always had another plan and has always been open to my feelings and plans for the future.
The front desk [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] lady is super nice. The blood work technicians are nice, I just wouldn't say they're the most compassionate people in the office. The nurse practitioner is nice and informative and the nurse is kind and caring. ... One time I was told my progesterone would be called into the pharmacy across the street. By the time I got over there they had no record of the prescription. It was not a huge deal it was just a little bit of an inconvenience to go back to the clinic to find out what was wrong.
How was your experience with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Be patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
I almost always feel like a human when meeting with a nurse pr doctor. Only a couple times with blood work technicians and nurses have I felt like a number.
Describe the protocols Christopher Allemand used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
At first he just wanted to up my meds, both letrozole and metformin. After several failed cycles though he gave me a list of 4 options. We have now tried two of them and am currently waiting to see how this IUI will go.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy and chasity )
Tracy is the nurse practitioner. She is kind and I have no complaints about her personality except that she tends to be very cut and dry and straight to the point. Chasity has always been compassionate and caring and is there to talk as long as I need to. She has offered hugs and prayers and always is willing to help me and answer any questions I might have.
The front desk lady is super nice. The blood work technicians are nice, I just wouldn't say they're the most compassionate people in the office. The nurse practitioner is nice and informative and the nurse is kind and caring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I think our first appointment was $250 plus lab work. I tend to pay $37 each time for blood work and ultrasound
Describe Christopher Allemand's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I have no knowledge of this.
Montgomery

[Dr. Bouknight] isn’t there for the number of babies she can help create. She is concerned with us as a family rather than just a number to add to her count. She’s very conservative with treatment because she’s worried about the patients overall well-being. We want one healthy baby is her go to line...She will look out for you. Speak up with any questions or concerns you may have...talks to me with such sincerity I couldn’t ask for a better experience.
I’ve had a few instances where I felt like I was overlooked [by the nursing staff at Alabama Fertility Specialists] but that was in the beginning. Now that we’ve been seeing them for over a year I’ve gotten to know them more and am comfortable to communicate more openly with them...The area the clinic is located isn’t very convenient due to the traffic and flow of traffic. I do believe they have gotten a new building they will be moving to summer of 2020 so I look forward to that. Parking is at a minimum for the time being.
Dr Boughknight isn’t there for the number of babies she can help create. She is concerned with us as a family rather than just a number to add to her count. She’s very conservative with treatment because she’s worried about the patients overall well-being. We want one healthy baby is her go to line. She’s not there to play God, but to do her best to make our dream come true in a healthy way. I’ve seen several websites that state they don’t care your age, BMI, etc that they will perform IVF to make it happen for you. Speaking with her I know she wants me to have a fun healthy pregnancy and enjoy this time of life. Not have so many medical concerns the whole time. I wouldn’t go to anyone else
She will look out for you. Speak up with any questions or concerns you may have
All the staff at AFS are so friendly. They are so welcoming and have become like friends. Dr Boughknight talks to me with such sincerity I couldn’t ask for a better experience.
I’ve had a few instances where I felt like I was overlooked but that was in the beginning. Now that we’ve been seeing them for over a year I’ve gotten to know them more and am comfortable to communicate more openly with them
We’ve swapped insurance during the process but this year I’ve only had my co pay of $25 each visit with the doc Ultrasound monitoring is $30 a visit. IUI has been $324 each cycle. The sperm wash was $50 for my husband after the IUI. it all depends on your insurance though. We have BCBS of Alabama
Birmingham

She takes the time to listen to my concerns and questions and she gives me and my husband time to sort out our thoughts on things. We’ve never felt pressured to pursue treatments until we were ready. ... I like that she is honest about her thoughts on where we needed to go next but we always felt that she left it up to us to decide about next steps we were willing to take. She expresses frustration alongside our own feelings having no real reason why we haven’t been able to conceive after 2 years of trying.
They [AL Fert Specialists] get you in quickly- my initial visit was about 2.5 weeks after the initial referral call. They are always upfront about costs of care. I have never had a bill I wasn’t already informed of. They even check back in about billing to let you know if there has been a change. They have text reminders for appointments. ... they did not tell me that I needed to schedule pre-op bloodwork, I got a call two days before the surgery stating that the hospital informed them they didn’t have my pre-op lab results, so I had to unexpectedly leave work to go to the hospital for last minute labs.
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
She is always warm and compassionate. I like that she is honest about her thoughts on where we needed to go next but we always felt that she left it up to us to decide about next steps we were willing to take. She expresses frustration alongside our own feelings having no real reason why we haven’t been able to conceive after 2 years of trying. My only complaint is not having copies or an online portal to see what my test results are. We usually have to ask detailed questions to be told exactly what my blood tests have shown.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Take the time to read about possible causes of infertility from reputable resources. Doing this helps you know what questions to ask. Dr. M is great at providing patients with information on paper (ie info sheets on endometriosis, etc.) but she will take the time to have a discussion with you as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the protocols Beth Malizia used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Letrezole for 5 days after baseline ultrasound, check in around cycle day 7-8 to measure follicles, hCg trigger shot within 24-36 hours of IUI appointment. Test in 14 days after IUI procedure. The letrezole was increased to 7.5 at the 3rd IUI round in hopes of having 2 to 3 follicles.
Dr. M’s nurse Hailey is always positive and informative. I appreciate her cheeriness and always having a kind word.
They get you in quickly- my initial visit was about 2.5 weeks after the initial referral call. They are always upfront about costs of care. I have never had a bill I wasn’t already informed of. They even check back in about billing to let you know if there has been a change. They have text reminders for appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
My insurance covers most lab work, I pay $30 format Co-pay and for the monitoring ultrasounds. I have paid for meds and shots. The IUI procedure itself costs $325
When I was scheduled for my laparoscopy they did not tell me that I needed to schedule pre-op bloodwork, I got a call two days before the surgery stating that the hospital informed them they didn’t have my pre-op lab results, so I had to unexpectedly leave work to go to the hospital for last minute labs. I was thankful it wasn’t an issue and didn’t lead to having to reschedule my surgery.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Cecil Long] has been very compassionate in every aspect including giving me his personal number if I ever needed him or had any questions. He has ran tests, diagnosed me and fixed issues I had that past doctors were clueless about that caused much of my infertility problems. He has assured me that he is going to do what it takes for me to be a Mother...explained things in a way I understood them...I had surgery because i had a blockage in my left tube well once he got in there he realized my other tube
they [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] were very affordable a lot better than I expected. and they worked with me if i had to pay out of pocket...from the moment walked into Dr. Longs office i felt very calm. it is a very welcoming environment...They [nurses] always called me by my name and have always been very welcoming. before and after my surgery they never hesitated making sure I was comfortable and answered any questions I had.
I would say that as a patient he never made me feel like a patient but more like a close friend or as if I was a family member. when I would cry he made sure i had a tissue and a hug to follow to let me know we would get thru this. He has always been very through and explained things in a way I understood them. Back in February I had surgery because i had a blockage in my left tube well once he got in there he realized my other tube wasnt good either. so he went ahead and removed both of them. the first thing I remember coming out of surgery is asking what did he have to do someone said he had to remove both tubes I broke down, it was only a few minutes after that he was by my side explaining what he had done why he had done it and how much easier it was going to be for me to have a successful pregnancy. I know if he didnt truly care for his patients he would have been in there to explain his reasoning that quick.
If are having trouble becoming pregnant and your present doctor had no explanation why it may be a little further to drive and cost a little more but to know why and know that you will be treated as a human making an appointment with Cecil Long is worth every penny. He is one of the most amazing men I've ever met.
From day one Dr. Long has never made me feel like I was just a number. He has been very compassionate in every aspect including giving me his personal number if I ever needed him or had any questions. He has ran tests, diagnosed me and fixed issues I had that past doctors were clueless about that caused much of my infertility problems. He has assured me that he is going to do what it takes for me to be a Mother. I have complete faith and trust in him and know without a doubt that choosing him to be my doctor was the best decision I have made.
They always called me by my name and have always been very welcoming. before and after my surgery they never hesitated making sure I was comfortable and answered any questions I had.
most of the time when you go into a doctor's office it feels like a doctor's office that always makes me uncomfortable well from the moment walked into Dr. Longs office i felt very calm. it is a very welcoming environment.
they were very affordable a lot better than I expected. and they worked with me if i had to pay out of pocket.
Cecil Long
Birmingham (closed)

She [Dr. Houserman] takes her time during consults, and reviews the plan and options thoroughly...She’s been great. She knows my history and is willing to do whatever it takes. She always gives us her full attention and she is very kind. When she has done my iui she was extremely efficient and gentle. I look forward to my visits with her...First, clomid, because I had only used letrizole to date. Then we added follistim and pregnyl and iui. For a year, that was the plan every month except those that holidays or travel got in the way. We got pregnant after 5 months with dr. H but lost the baby at week 7. We did everything right, the clinic handled the situation with the utmost respect. After the iui and tons of testing, the Mc was deemed unexplained. We did 2 more iui after that and no result, so now we are preparing to move on to next step
They [nurses at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] always know and recognize me. They are all efficient and friendly. My visits are Always on time and they communicate well...The place needs a facelift, it feels very dingy and outdated, but the quality of care is excellent. Also, the option to use a satellite clinic is super helpful since there are so many visits. My husband always had a hard time with sperm collection in the clinic because the room is awkward, but they will let you take a cup and bring it back, that’s been real helpful...Iui is $400 with sperm wash...First, clomid, because I had only used letrizole to date. Then we added follistim and pregnyl and iui. For a year, that was the plan every month except those that holidays or travel got in the way. We got pregnant after 5 months with dr. H but lost the baby at week 7. We did everything right, the clinic handled the situation with the utmost respect. After the iui and tons of testing, the Mc was deemed unexplained. We did 2 more iui after that and no result, so now we are preparing to move on to next step
Write down questions ahead of time, it’s hard to think of them when you’re actually there.
She takes her time during consults, and reviews the plan and options thoroughly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Chasity )
They always know and recognize me. They are all efficient and friendly. My visits are Always on time and they communicate well.
Iui is $400 with sperm wash. My insurance covers most ultrasound and labs, I usually have a $25 copay per visit with doc/nurse. My RX is usually about $400 for follistim and pregnyl
Describe Virginia Houserman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Seems like she agrees to do 2
Montgomery
The 1st month [with Dr. Allemand] we used clomid with trigger shot, 2nd-5th months we added added follistim to the plan to help produce more mature eggs. Then next step is to add another shot (can’t remember the name) and then IVF...I loved that he didn’t make me feel like I was too old to be wanting to have a baby. He made my husband and I feel at home discussing such intimate things with him. He has a great bed side manner and really cares about you as a patient.
I absolutely ADORE all of them [staff at ART Fertility Program of Alabama]. As soon as I walk in the door I am greeted by the best scheduling coordinator Ashley!!! Then to see Mildred or Lynn for bloodwork!!! Off to ultrasound with Brandi that most women dread but she just chats with you and it’s over before you know it. Then to see the nurse practitioners Tracey or Chasity. They are always both great at explaining what the next step is and Chasity is alway there for a big hug when you need it. Especially since I’m a crier!!! I love the staff!!!
First of all I loved that he didn’t make me feel like I was too old to be wanting to have a baby. He made my husband and I feel at home discussing such intimate things with him. He has a great bed side manner and really cares about you as a patient.
Be patient!!! It might work the first month and then it might take a while!!! Keep your head up and stay positive.
I absolutely love his staff. They made my husband and I feel like family. They always make sure when they called with result of test that it’s ok to talk and make you feel comfortable with any questions you might have.
The 1st month we used clomid with trigger shot, 2nd-5th months we added added follistim to the plan to help produce more mature eggs. Then next step is to add another shot (can’t remember the name) and then IVF.
OMG!!! There are no words!!! I absolutely ADORE all of them. As soon as I walk in the door I am greeted by the best scheduling coordinator Ashley!!! Then to see Mildred or Lynn for bloodwork!!! Off to ultrasound with Brandi that most women dread but she just chats with you and it’s over before you know it. Then to see the nurse practitioners Tracey or Chasity. They are always both great at explaining what the next step is and Chasity is alway there for a big hug when you need it. Especially since I’m a crier!!! I love the staff!!!
Strengths-they excel in everything. I couldn’t ask for a better office to go to. They make me feel at home and everyone is so friendly. They treat you like family!!! Weaknesses-NONE!!! Just make sure you take a notebook and write everything down where you can understand it. Keep it with you to write questions down for your next appointment. And don’t be afraid to ask!!!
IUI $395 IVF meds $5,000 then retrieval and all up to $15,000
Birmingham (closed)
Any question he [Dr. Allemand] will answer honestly...I am 23 years old. He sat with my mom and I and explained everything that was going on. For once, someone actually understood and made me not feel crazy about the pain I was feeling. He went through options and was very caring through the entire process. I felt like he took me very seriously which I appreciated...He recommended IVF & surgery beforehand! I had my surgery April 12th. I meet with him again on the 25th to discuss beginning my IVF treatments! I’m only 23, And in my first 6 months of marriage IVF is a scary / expensive thought but he put me at ease that it was the best option for me to have a family even if we have to work more for it!
I just had an operation removing endometretomas / adhesions / etc [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama]...[nurses are] Very sweet. Very helpful. Answer any questions. Only complaint is you get a different nurse everytime and I feel like they never completely know you or your situation and having to re explain / Re ask same questions is frustrating...After blood work I had two nurses tell me two different things about blood work! Then I called another and she said everything was perfect. Not sure if it was a mix up or just misinterpretations or if I asked the questions wrong! Clinic Nps
I had a hard time filling this out. I have yet to start my treatments so sorry if my answers are wrong or confusing. I have had a major endometriosis surgery at age 20. I have stage 4 endo! I’m constantly in pain, no sex life, not much quality of life. I got married 2 years later and instantly met with him! The endo is back, I had present tumors on ultra sounds. He recommended IVF & surgery beforehand! I had my surgery April 12th. I meet with him again on the 25th to discuss beginning my IVF treatments! I’m only 23, And in my first 6 months of marriage IVF is a scary / expensive thought but he put me at ease that it was the best option for me to have a family even if we have to work more for it!
Ask questions! Any question he will answer honestly.
We haven’t started yet. I am meeting to begin the IVF process Thursday April 25th! I just had an operation removing endometretomas / adhesions / etc.
Ask questions! Write things down. Make sure to ask the doctor more important questions because there are so many nurses sometimes they will tell you different things! Sometimes you really have to pry informations / results out because they take a second getting back to you.
The IVF could range anywhere between 15-20 thousand for one try. I’m not sure how many times it will take given my ovarian reserve.
Birmingham (closed)
She [Dr. Houserman] is so smart and does a great job at explaining things in detail. She is friendly and makes you feel welcome...At first she seems cold and like she’s talking in a different language. But once you start talking to her she is super friendly and open to any questions or concerns and addresses them...I did iui’s with clomid and then she switched me to letrazole just to see if my body would react better. Same reaction. So then we did a pure shot cycle with iui. Used follistim and HCG shot. Ovaries reacted very well. But my emotions were horrible i was super angry all of the time. Then i quit working and decided to go to IVF. did follistim menopur progesterone hcg leuprolide. Did egg retrieval with good results froze the unused embryos and am currently waiting to see if i am pregnant from the fresh transfer.
Love ALL of the nurses at both Montgomery and Birmingham [offices of ART Fertility Program of Alabama]. They all are so positive and make it as nice of an experience as possible. We never even have to wait very long either which is awesome...Only twice the nurses forgot to give me a prescription. One time it was for progesterone but the nurse at Birmingham asked about it and got it for me immediately and did not affect that cycle at all. And the other time the nurse forgot to give me the prescription for antibiotics that we had to take before the egg retrieval but once again it did not effect the cycle bc i got home and looked at my calendar and saw i was supposed to get the prescription.
At first she seems cold and like she’s talking in a different language. But once you start talking to her she is super friendly and open to any questions or concerns and addresses them. She is just so smart it’s hard for her to tell us things in our way and not the medical way. But if you ask she will clear any confusion up! She’s a great dr.
To trust her. At first we weren’t sure of her so we questioned her decisions a lot. But she knows what she’s doing.
She is so smart and does a great job at explaining things in detail. She is friendly and makes you feel welcome
Love ALL of the nurses at both Montgomery and Birmingham. They all are so positive and make it as nice of an experience as possible. We never even have to wait very long either which is awesome.
Be prepared to be overwhelmed and when you get home write down any questions you have. Bc you will forget them by the next visit. Trust the dr and the nurses but also understand that they do this all day everyday and that sometimes you have to ask why are you doing this what are you doing, what is my next appt for.
Prob around $25,000-30,000 in all
We thought really hard about this. We chose to transfer 2 embryos instead of just one because of me having unexplained infertility. We still don’t know what the problem is so we wanted as much of a chance that was possible just in case implantation has been the problem. We asked dr Houserman and she was immediately onboard with it. I thought she was going to push to do just one bc of the risks but given my age and all of my bloodwork and everything always looking amazing and promising she decided it would be worth it for us.
2015 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Bouknight] treats the patient, not just the symptoms. She is candid without being caustic. She is personable, approachable, and warm...Due to my age at the time of implantation (mid 30's), the high quality of the embryo, and the fact that we had them genetically tested, she preferred to do one the first round. I was happy with that decision....She is willing to try anything, even if the odds are low. She will tell you the odds are low, and she will manage your expectations appropriately. She is positive and optimistic, yet pragmatic and real at the same time....
Dr. Bouknight attracts a talented, high-quality team [AL Fert Specialists]. All of them are operating at the top of their game. Kendall is organized, responsive, and helpful. The nurses are friendly and compassionate..The office is in a non-descript office building in Birmingham, Alabama near Mountain Brook. The office itself is clean, organized, albeit painted an interesting shade of blue. On your initial visit there is a lot of information thrown at you, so make sure you have your list of questions ready.
Dr. Bouknight is not just a fertility doctor. She is a fertility wizard. Anyone I know who is having fertility issues, I send to her. She is willing to try anything, even if the odds are low. She will tell you the odds are low, and she will manage your expectations appropriately. She is positive and optimistic, yet pragmatic and real at the same time. As I mentioned before, she actually cares if her patients conceive and carry to term. She also attracts great talent and has a great team. You can see she truly loves what she does, and her work speaks for itself.
Be honest and candid with her. Trust the process and the science.
The difference between Dr. Bouknight and other fertility doctors is she cares. She cares that you get the result you want. She cares if you get pregnant. She treats the patient, not just the symptoms. She is candid without being caustic. She is personable, approachable, and warm.
As a preface, my husband had a fertility tanking brain tumor. He had an extremely low count and low mobility. We were told by previous doctors that our only option was IVF with ICSI. We wanted to try IUI because it was the cheaper option, just to see. We changed over to Dr. Bouknight, who also wanted to try IUI first. She told us the odds were low, but there was about a 10-20% chance it would work. We tried it, and it did not work. We then went to the egg harvest and ICSI process producing four embryos. We genetically tested them because it increased the chances of getting and staying pregnant from 50% to 75%. All four of them came back healthy. We implanted in October 2016, and I tested positive for pregnancy 2 weeks later. We had our first child, a healthy, adorable boy (our preference), in June 2017.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Kendall)
Dr. Bouknight attracts a talented, high-quality team. All of them are operating at the top of their game. Kendall is organized, responsive, and helpful. The nurses are friendly and compassionate.
I don't remember the costs associated.

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
The Clinics [AL Fertility Specialists] strengths are they make you feel important, like you are family. You can really tell they all care not just there for a pay check. My first apporintment there I was so nervous and I felt so defeated because I was actually there. I didnt want to believe it at all. When I left there I felt the complete opposite. I still hated the journey we are on but I had a sense of calming and hope. I knew that with God on my side guiding these doctors, nurses, and staff that we will one day have our miracle!
Dr. Melizia is an amazing doctor. She is very soft spoken she always makes you feel better about having to be there and she instantly feels you with hope. She gives her honest medical opinions. She doesnt just tell you what you want to hear. I appreciate this because I do not want to waste money on a certain course of treatment if it isnt the right fit for me (even though it worked for a friend). I always feel very comfortable asking her questions about what can we do next, well what about this route and she always responds with such a caring and understanding attitude and always explained why it would be a good route or not. I know that Melizia is a very busy doctor but she always takes the time I need with her to answer all of my questions. I never feel rushed or as if she has a 1,000 different things running through her head. This goes back to everyone at AFS makes you feel like you are their only Patient!
I would tell them that Dr. Melizia is amazing. She will proceed with fertility treatments on your own pace. So if you are ready to go in full force then make sure you tell her!
AFS has always treated my husband and I as humans. They all have a way of making you feel like you are the ONLY patient they have and you are the top priority and concern. All the doctors and staff at AFS play a role in this. Even though Malizia is our primary doctor we have worked with the other doctors as well and they made us feel so good about being there. Also, the nurses walking up and down the hallways stop, call you by name, and give you a big hug! This is really a big deal for me! It makes this journey a little easier knowing you have such a great group of people caring for you! AFS is the BEST!
IUI Cycles: 1. We used clomid The first IUI we used the at home ovulation test but come to find out it gave me a false positive so we did the IUI and I had not ovulated yet. So this one was a bust. :( 2. We used clomid again. This time we did a monitored cycle with the trigger shot. I did fully ovulate right on time but it also failed. :( IVFs: 1. 1st round of IVF we were on BC pills for a few months and then we started lupron. We then started with the Follistem pen and Menopur. We continued with the lupron. We triggered and went in for retrieval. We found out they retrieved 10 eggs, only 5 were mature, and only one fertilized. We were a little upset with these numbers but our 1 embyro was a perfect as you could get! This was hopeful! We transferred a 3 day embryo because we only had 1. This cycle failed. :( 2. 2nd round of IVF Dr. Melizia swapped up my meds. She wanted to get more mature eggs. I was only on BC pills for a few weeks and then we started stimming right away with Follistem and Menopur. We later added in ganerelix so that I would not ovulate on my own. This would we had 14 eggs, 10 mature, but still only 1 fertilized. :( It was still a perfect embryo though! This round also failed so then we started trying to figure out why the embryos would not attach.
The IVF coordinator Kendall, and the entire nursing staff at AFS is amazing. They call you by name and they remember your story. One of my favorite nurses is Michelle. Every time she sees me she stops me gives me a big hug and tells me she is so glad to see that we have not given up. She was apart of both of our IVFs and she was caring and encouraging the entire time. The entire staff from my favorite receptionist (Leslie), to the Ultrasound tech, to the ladies in the lab and all the nurses are amazing. Dr. Melizia is my primary doctor but the entire office comes together and really makes you feel special.
The Clinics strengths are they make you feel important, like you are family. You can really tell they all care not just there for a pay check. My first apporintment there I was so nervous and I felt so defeated because I was actually there. I didnt want to believe it at all. When I left there I felt the complete opposite. I still hated the journey we are on but I had a sense of calming and hope. I knew that with God on my side guiding these doctors, nurses, and staff that we will one day have our miracle! We instantly knew AFS was where we were suppose to be. The only weakness that I would say the clinic has is SOMETIMES the call back time is not up to my standards. Now I am someone who likes a call after lunch if I went in that morning or if I went in that afternoon I like a call back by the next morning. I may be a little impatient when it comes to this so other may think their call back time is perfect. :) This may actually be a weakness of mine and not the Clinic's.
First round of IVF - $9,000 + Medicines 2nd round of IVF - $7,600ish + Medicines IUIs - $350ish a piece + Medicines Surgery - $3,000 Monitoring Visits - $30.00
Birmingham

She [Dr. Janet Bouknight] joked with us, spoke with us at length...My only negative would be that I feel, for my own sanity, the access to responses and answers aren't fast enough. I wish I had an email address to ask simple questions instead of having to wait for a call back or an appointment...She is very personable and doesn't rush either of us. She focuses on both me and my husband and tries to accommodate both of our fears and concerns.
They [nurses at Alabama Fertility Specialists] are great. They call and chit chat about life and treatment. It's not just about fertility but she will call me back within a few hours...Strengths: They are attentive and no nonsense...They will suggest what works and they don't waste your time doing tests that they think are meaningless. They will discuss new technologies and I like how responsive they are. Weak: They are very very busy. Sometimes when you show up for an IUI .. you'll end up there for much longer than intended. I once waited almost 2 hours past my time to get the IUI. It seems that they are very popular which is good for them but can be stressful if you are working.
She is very personable and doesn't rush either of us. She focuses on both me and my husband and tries to accommodate both of our fears and concerns. She will joke around with us to keep things from getting too emotional. My only negative would be that I feel, for my own sanity, the access to responses and answers aren't fast enough. I wish I had an email address to ask simple questions instead of having to wait for a call back or an appointment.
Don't compare yourself to others and come in with all your questions. She doesn't mind a type A personality.
She joked with us, spoke with us at length... the nurses would call and ask about our lives not just the treatment.
We started with just letrozole and timed intercourse. Then, after three months, we started IUI's with letrozole moving onto injections with letrozole for the last two IUI's. Three total IUIs. The first was just meds and the uterine lining wasn't enough. The second, things looked better (2 follicles). The third, injections of the FSH stayed the same at 75 iui's and results were even better (4 follicles). However, it failed. Dr. is suggesting IVF next.
They are great. They call and chit chat about life and treatment. It's not just about fertility but she will call me back within a few hours.
Strengths: They are attentive and no nonsense. Half of my fertility support group goes to this facility and they are realistic. They will suggest what works and they don't waste your time doing tests that they think are meaningless. They will discuss new technologies and I like how responsive they are. Weak: They are very very busy. Sometimes when you show up for an IUI .. you'll end up there for much longer than intended. I once waited almost 2 hours past my time to get the IUI. It seems that they are very popular which is good for them but can be stressful if you are working.
So far, we've spent about 5k on medications and IUI's
no comments. She said she prefers single because of our age.

2014 - 2018, Successful
Kendall is our IVF coordinator [at AL Fertility Specialists-Birmingham]. She is great. She handled orders for our medications. She had a calendar all set up for our injections. We communicated well via email. She was prompt and answered every question thouroughly. She went over the process of giving medications if we needed instruction.... I feel the clinic runs a tight ship. They are on top of it. Everyone is welcoming and genuine. Most staff members have been through infertility. They know the shoes we are walking in. I love that the clinic is small. You don’t feel like a number in a cattle car. They used to only offer IVF certain times a year. They are more flexible now and are offering it more. I love AFS.
I described her very well in the segment about being treated like a human. She has been wonderful over our journey. We have been with her for over five years and are sticking by her to get our miracle baby. We have not always seen her for our IUIs. She has been right by our side every step of the way for our IVF cycle. She even contacted us personally to give us updates. She has done all my other procedures and explained everything thouroughly. We love her!
Dr. Malizia has a calming bedside manor. She is forth coming and doesn’t sugar coat information. She knows her facts. She is a good listener and spends time with her patients. The wait time might be long at times but she is not going to rush her patients. She is only available certain days of the week for appointments, therefore scheduling can be a challenge. So far appointments have not been a problem for me. She is always available if you have questions. She gets back to you in a timely manor. My husband and I have been pleased with her. We have stuck by her over 5 years. Still working on our miracle baby.
My husband and I have been with Dr. Malizia a little over 5 years. She has been wonderful. She spends time with us making sure all our questions and concerns are addressed. She has personally contacted us on numerous occasions to give us news/results. She has a great bedside manner and truly understands what we are experiencing through our fertility journey. She wants the best for us. We just went through our first IVF cycle. We had 10 eggs fertilize out of 14 eggs retrieved. Dr. Malizia kept us updated on days 5 and 6 of the growth. She stated, “I waited until the last minute to call you because I was hoping they would grow more.” She checked them multiple times on day 6 to make sure of their growth. We had 1 embryo make it out of the 10 fertilized. Cell biopsies have been sent to Igenomix to be tested for genetics. We are in the wait time. Dr. Malizia stated, “I will call you as soon as the fax comes through.” This shows she really cares. We have been extremely happy with Dr. Malizia and the whole AFS team. We feel like we are apart of their family since we have been going there over 5 years. We are still working towards a miracle baby. It makes me nervous only having 1 embryo. This has been a process. I feel like it is one chance and it’s not 100% guaranteed. My husband and I are older and we would love to be parents and have our own biological child. Unfortunately, our insurance does not cover fertility treatment. This was a huge jump to do IVF. It stresses me out financially. We do not need the financial stress. We have been extremely patient through the infertility journey. I don’t know what we will do if this 1 embryo does not work. We would like to have multiple children one day. The financial stress is not needed for those who are having trouble conceiving. We need as little stress as possible to make our bodies healthy and stress free.
Dr. Malizia prescribed medication with our first treatment. We used clomid. Everything looked good on paper. Unfortunately, it did not work. Then we tried a second IUI with clomid. It was unsuccessful. We used the letrazole protocol and trigger HCG with our third IUI. It was unsuccessful. Again, everything looked good. No explanation of why the IUIs were not working. She explained the increased chances of IVF at the time. We were not financially able to take on the cost of IVF. She stated we could do another letrazole protocol IUI. We waited a while to do it. It was unsuccessful as well. We met for a consultation. Dr. Malizia talked to us about Invocell and IVF. She stated we could do another IUI if we wanted. My husband and I chose to do IVF due to the higher risk of possible conception. It has not been easy financially. We now have one chance with one embryo. We have exhausted all funds. I am not sure what we will do if this does not work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Kendall B)
Kendall is our IVF coordinator. She is great. She handled orders for our medications. She had a calendar all set up for our injections. We communicated well via email. She was prompt and answered every question thouroughly. She went over the process of giving medications if we needed instruction. Our Doctor has had two nurses during our 5 years at the clinic. Both of them have been great. They relay our messages to the doctor in a timely fashion and get back to us quick. We have been happy with all the other staff. It’s a smaller clinic. They make you feel like part of the family.
My insurance paid for some of the visits and lab cost. Everything else is out of pocket. My insurance does not cover fertility treatments. Our IUIs were 324.00 out of pocket. The IVF with ICSI was over 10K. This is out of pocket. We decided to do genetic testing so an additional cost of 2,210.00 will be needed for the frozen transfer. Plus, we will have to pay the fee for Igenomix. I think it will be 1,500.00. My husband and I are still trying to come up with the money for the transfer of our one embryo if genetics deems it viable. Still waiting on results. I don’t understand how some insurance plans will pay and some will not. This is not elective for us. We cannot help we are in this situation. We are not made of money and we don’t want to put ourselves in debt. It’s so financially draining and causes stress we do not need.
Describe Beth Malizia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Dr. Malizia has stated, “she is not in business to make an octomom.” She prefers to transfer one embryo. She was willing to transfer two for us. She was ok if we wanted an instant family. My husband and I would have chosen to transfer two embryos if we had them. We are in our late 30s. We are eager to start a family. We cannot help it has taken so long and we have unexplained fertility at this time. Unfortunately, we have one to transfer pending genetic results. We will have to continue working on our family in the future.
Birmingham

We are doing IVF due to an inherited genetic disorder we do not want to pass to our children. Dr Honea listed to our story and supported us. She is very blunt and gives her honest opinion so if you can’t handle honesty she is not for you. For example, she is very honest about her opinion to not want to discard unused viable embryos.... Menopur/follistim, then monitored every other day until cetrotide was added. One embryos were 1.8cm HCG trigger shot 36hrs before retrieval. Her rationale was it was the same successful plan used my first cycle so why change.
They [the staff at ART Fertility Program of AL] are very efficient and all staff is wonderful. No one wastes your time which I appreciate. I’ve never waited longer than 15 minutes. Only negative is the clinic is older. It is however kept very clean.... Everyone on the staff has been so sweet and really makes you feel comfortable going through such an uncomfortable time. Even the lady who draws your blood is amazing. The ultrasound tech is such a sweetheart too! I love them all!
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Give her all the details you expect out of your care. She has 30+ Years of experience so has seen it all and will know how to tailor your cycle.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
My first experience with another doctor I was 100% just a number and that was horrible. I wasn’t given an appointment and just had to wait in line. Dr Honea sat us in her office from day one and listened to our needs. I always have an appointment time and very little waiting to see someone. Follow up calls are always made frequently.
Describe the protocols Kathryn Honea (retired) used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Janet )
They are very efficient and all staff is wonderful. No one wastes your time which I appreciate. I’ve never waited longer than 15 minutes. Only negative is the clinic is older. It is however kept very clean.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
12,100 for IVF cycle. 2200 for FET
Describe Kathryn Honea (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I respect her opinion for a single embryo transfer. A multiples pregnancy is higher risk so why try and achieve that first.
Kathryn Honea (retired)

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. McLean treats you like you are her most important priority. She takes so much time with you and shows so much compassion. ... She frequently communicates with you and genuinely cares. When things don't go as planned, she comes up with a new plan. ... I have sent so many friends to her, and everyone loves her. ... My RE strongly only wanted to transfer one embryo if it was genetically tested. She wants to transfer two untested embryos in the future. ...
Alabama Fertility Specialists treats you like an individual and not just a number. You really get to know everyone there who is part of the team. They all work together well. The overall environment is friendly, and they take the time to make you feel welcome. ... My RE strongly only wanted to transfer one embryo if it was genetically tested. She wants to transfer two untested embryos in the future.
Dr. McLean is the best doctor. She is brilliant and will think outside the box. She frequently communicates with you and genuinely cares. When things don't go as planned, she comes up with a new plan. She spends so much time with you and wants to make sure all of your questions are answered. I have sent so many friends to her, and everyone loves her.
Go see her! You will not be disappointed.
Laparoscopy surgery to remove endometriosis. IUI- dexamethazone (I have a lot of complex allergies), letrozole, trigger shot and IUI. This resulted in a successful pregnancy, my 20 month old son. TTC baby #2, same protocol, got pregnant but miscarried at 8 weeks. D&C revealed baby had triploidy. Tried 3 more IUI's before moving on to IVF. Did conservative IVF protocol due to prior OHSS from injections (before my son). Retrieved 4 eggs, got 2 embryos. Only 1 genetically normal. Transferred (FET) and resulted in chemical pregnancy. :( Hoping to do IVF again in December.
IUI (my insurance covered 8/lifetime), now $300 plus meds and apts IVF retrieval $10,000, transfer $2200 plus meds, genetic testing $2,000
Birmingham

Dr. Honea was someone I was not afraid to open up to. She always explain the dos and don't to the T no short cuts. She even explain her life stories that related to me. She even convinced my partner to stop smoking and I thank her for that. She always explain why things would be hard to work because of my past illnesses such as previous STD. She performed a surgery on me to remove a polyp, and I can asure I was in good hands it was a sucess. Whenever I had a question she would always make time to call me back. If I cried she would smile and tell me my baby is coming.
[ART Fertility Program of AL's] Strength: Friendly, open arms, listening ear, positive vibes, trustworthy, and very respectful. Weaknesses: Some treatments are prices. Could not be seen again until I paid off balance. That is the only reason I stop going is because I am still trying to pay off my balance. I used all my money on IUIs and could not pick up what the insurance didn't cover. Other than that everything is great at ARTs.
No matter what it takes her goal is to get the job done.
The staff was loving treated me like family no me by name me and my partner. I was always giving a wake up call for my morning appointments because I worked nights. Throughout bad news they would hug me and tell me everything is going to be alright and your baby will come! I love them
Checking my lining every cycle before I take my clomid, charting body temperature for the first 3 cycles to see if I was ovulating, trigger shots, 3 cycles of IUIs. I stopped at 3 because I had used all of my saving in my account.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Ms. Naccy)
Everyone was kind and sweet. Once you get there the nurse draws your bleed. It's not a in and out thing she ask me how was work last night and how was I feeling at all times. Nurse Nanccy is very loving I even call her mom sometimes. She is never I a hurry she will always say I'm ready when you are my dear lol especially shot time! If I'm 5 minutes late they would call to make sure I was up or on the way, they never cancelled on me they always waited on me, they would say we gotta get this baby in the oven! 😍
My blue Cross blue shield insurance was not the best but it did ok cause some of my visit was no more than 20.00 or sometimes it would be free on my end because I would have a balance. The IUIs was a bit pricey it was 495 and my insurance did not cover those, so yes I went broke doing 4 rounds of IUI, but it's OK all I wanted was a baby😥
Not sure what that is.
Kathryn Honea (retired)
Huntsville
Both of us have infertility issues. Dr. Allemand wanted to start with me first since I was not ovulating. After we removed fibroid rumors found during HSG and stimulating me with a moderate dose of Clomid, he was able to make me ovulate 2 to 3 mature eggs each cycle. He recommended IUI due to male factor infertility to increase our possibility of pregnancy. He also did multiple things to increase my husbands sperm count.
Friendly and Knowledgeable staff [ART Fertility Program of AL]. very Thorough. Easy to work with during scheduling conflicts. Helped to continue billin insurance when claims were not paid appropriately, rather than make it the patients problem. Extremely busy, be prepared to wait.... [nurses] Well educated. Thorough. Kind and compassionate.... IUiS were very affordable compared to previous fertility specialists.
Very thorough in descriptions of treatments and diagnostics. Always willing to readjust plan based on diagnostics. Completely honest with us even when we may not have liked the answer. Willing to think outside the box when presented with many what if situations.
Be prepared to be blown away by his level of professionalism and knowledge base.
As a fellow doctor, he was able to answer all questions that’s i had which have been more in depth than others would consider. He never minded when I asked to explain why.
Well educated. Thorough. Kind and compassionate.
Friendly and Knowledgeable staff. very Thorough. Easy to work with during scheduling conflicts. Helped to continue billin insurance when claims were not paid appropriately, rather than make it the patients problem. Extremely busy, be prepared to wait.
Office visits were covered under our insurance except for co-pay. hSG and SIS were billed as outpatient services. Significant deductible were owed to the hospital for surgery. IUiS were very affordable compared to previous fertility specialists.
Birmingham (closed)
Dr.Allemand is easy to talk too and never rushes you through your appointment or questions.... When I first started seeing him it was after I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. So, after speaking to him we took a slow approach as my husband and myself were hoping to avoid the “big stuff”. He put me on a sister drug of clomid and we tried a natural cycle for the first two times, it all kind of runs together.
They are kind and put up with me asking a ton of questions. When I was in the office [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] today one knew I was there and she came and knocked on the door and gave me a hug because she hadn’t seen me in a while. I thought that was so sweet! They are all very nice and thorough.... Strength - they always return your call. Always nice and pleasant. Weaknesses - the office is very outdated and the girls in the lab aren’t the best I’ve had. They are super nice but when they draw blood it hurts more often than not.
He’s been great and it’s been a relief to me. I was nervous about having a male doctor as all of my other doctors are female. But, he’s been very nice and easy to talk to and takes his time with us which we appreciate.
He’s does run a little behind but just be patient because he will give you the same care and opportunity as he’s given the other patients seeing him. We have Beverly felt rushed when speaking with him.
Dr.Allemand is easy to talk too and never rushes you through your appointment or questions. I was hesitant to have a male fertility doctor as all of my other doctors are female, but he’s very nice and my husband and I both really like him.
When I first started seeing him it was after I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. So, after speaking to him we took a slow approach as my husband and myself were hoping to avoid the “big stuff”. He put me on a sister drug of clomid and we tried a natural cycle for the first two times, it all kind of runs together. I’m pretty sure we did this twice. Then when it didn’t work we started with Follistem and still nothing. So, that brought us to IUI. I was on follistem and a clomid type drug with zero results. My husband and I took a much needed break and we picked up again. We did IUI for the second time with only follistem and it did not work. We tried for our third IUI with a higher dose of Follistem but my body reacted too well to the drugs that cycle so he had to cancel it. Now, after taking a break we are back and proceeding with IVF.
They are kind and put up with me asking a ton of questions. When I was in the office today one knew I was there and she came and knocked on the door and gave me a hug because she hadn’t seen me in a while. I thought that was so sweet! They are all very nice and thorough.
It’s a fertility clinic so it’s going to cost money and more than likely be expensive. Our insurance covers some stuff so our out of pocket isn’t high. But, with IVF it will be much higher.