2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
Birmingham (closed)
2006 Brookwood Med. Ctr. Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35209
Montgomery
356 St. Lukes Dr
Montgomery, AL 36117
800-476-9787

Dr. McLean is very personable and explains everything in a clear, easy to understand manner. She has a great bed-side manner. She also worked with us to find cheaper solutions when our insurance wouldn't cover certain tests. However, she is never on time for appointments, so we are left taking more time off work than intended...
[our doctors'] nurse always returns my phone calls properly and does everything she can to answer my questions...This [Alabama Fertility Specialists] clinic always runs an hour behind schedule. Also, it is impossible to get their billing staff to answer the phone. While the physicians do what they can to provide you with lower cost alternatives, this practice doesn't participate in any risk-sharing cost measures.They are also located at a very inconvenient location along 280.
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Be prepared for the clinic to be an hour behind schedule.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Mamie has always taken time to answer all questions I've had and very personable.
Describe the protocols Mamie McLean used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
We have only done IUI so far, but Dr. McLean wanted us to try IUI first since it is such a lower cost procedure.
The entire nursing staff is professional and caring. Dr. McLean's nurse always returns my phone calls properly and does everything she can to answer my questions.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
This clinic always runs an hour behind schedule. Also, it is impossible to get their billing staff to answer the phone. While the physicians do what they can to provide you with lower cost alternatives, this practice doesn't participate in any risk-sharing cost measures.They are also located at a very inconvenient location along 280.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
An IUI at this clinic, with ultrasound monitoring and bloodwork but not including medication, cost $637. Just the IUI was $260.
Birmingham

We only just started going but she [Dr. Beth Malizia] gave us a clear process to follow such as what would come first then try IUI. Her office has been very good to return our cals for scheduling and lab results. We feel very relieved and supported.... Know you will have labs the first appointment. Tell her all your history but you will probably start a lot of trhe testing all over again.
We got a refferal appointment quickly [at Alabama Fertility Specialists- Birmingham]. They say you can go as fast or slow as you need or want in treatment. We have only been to thw actual office once. Another did my HSG and she has wonderful bedside manner... Haley has been great about returning my calls and answering questions. She is fast about sending in lab orders.
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
We only just started going but she gave us a clear process to follow such as what would come first then try IUI. Her office has been very good to return our cals for scheduling and lab results. We feel very relieved and supported.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
The nurse always returns my calls, even after hours. Dr. Melizia met with me And mt husband for a while.
Describe the protocols Beth Malizia used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Again, we just started but I did bloodwork at the first appointment. I got my results back and only one of my levels is slightly off. I have done an HSG and should start IUI and medication on my next cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Haley)
We got a refferal appointment quickly. They say you can go as fast or slow as you need or want in treatment. We have only been to thw actual office once. Another did my HSG and she has wonderful bedside manner.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
$150 copay for HSG, about $500 for IUI
Birmingham
They are wonderful [at Alabama Fertility Specialists]. The whole team is what makes the clinic amazing. They understand you are there not my choice. They make things easier on you and help you better understand each step you go through...[nurses are] Caring and very detailed on how to take each month. (Meds and all)...She [Dr. Mamie McLean] is wonderful. She cares about each patient and what they are going through. She understands and helps you better understand what is going on. Most importantly she makes what you are going through seem alot better then it really is...She took blood work, then we tried a medicated cycle. When that didn't work she moved to IUIs. We did 2 of those and they were unsuccessful. We had been dealing with infertility for 3 years at this time, with one miscarriage. We decided after the 2nd failed IUI we would take time off and save. We are currently still saving and plan to go back soon. She takes everyone situation different. My protocol is different I'm sure then other people.
She is wonderful. She cares about each patient and what they are going through. She understands and helps you better understand what is going on. Most importantly she makes what you are going through seem alot better then it really is.
Trust in her. She has your best interest at heart.
She was very personal with me and my husband. She walked us through everything. Love love love her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
Caring and very detailed on how to take each month. (Meds and all)
They are wonderful. The whole team is what makes the clinic amazing. They understand you are there not my choice. They make things easier on you and help you better understand each step you go through.
Describe Mamie McLean's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
Dr. Steinkampf is definitely a smart man and great doctor. Sometimes you kind of need him to talk on your level, but he gives it to you straight without a lot of emotion one way or the other... He is not an emotional man and doesn't coddle you if that makes sense.
I kind of get the impression that the IVF patients take precedence [at Alabama Fertility Specialists]. They just kind of do my ultrasounds, tell me what meds I'm taking and then ship me out the door to go get them and do them myself. There isn't a lot of communication about why we're doing things, or what might change, or what the changes could help with. It's like they're just going through the motions.
How was your experience with Michael Steinkampf (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Steinkampf (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
He is blunt and gives you information as a doctor. He is not an emotional man and doesn't coddle you if that makes sense.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Steinkampf (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
It is a smaller office which is a benefit, but you still get the feeling at times that you are just another patient. You cannot reach the nurse practitioner with questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Karen Hammond)
She handles the ultrasounds so I actually see Karen more than Dr. Steinkampf which is fine, but I get the impression her IVF patients are more important to her. I have just always felt like they were going through the motions with me.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
As I mentioned before, I kind of get the impression that the IVF patients take precedence. They just kind of do my ultrasounds, tell me what meds I'm taking and then ship me out the door to go get them and do them myself. There isn't a lot of communication about why we're doing things, or what might change, or what the changes could help with. It's like they're just going through the motions.
Birmingham

She[Dr. Mamie Mclean] is kind, caring, compassionate, loving, educated, and gives you hope...Surgery for endometriosis, letrozole 5 rounds 5th round with IUI, clomid 1 round, we then went to ivf. Done a freeze all cycle because I got OHS...[Eset approach] She wants what is best for her patients...She has always made you feel like you are cared about
They all[nurse of Alabama Fertility Specialists] care and treat you so well...[appointments]They were always opening when you needed them. They worked with your schedule...[est.cost] IUI was almost $400 Appointments are $20-$30 with insurance IVF around $12,500...She [Dr.Mclean] is kind, caring, compassionate, loving, educated, and gives you hope!
She has always made you feel like you are cared about! When I leave her office I know she wants us to have a family almost as much as we do! She is kind, caring, compassionate, loving, educated, and gives you hope!
She is there for you!
She and all her staff makes you feel like family. They care and you can tell they do!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Michael )
They all care and treat you so well
It is the best place I have ever been to in a doctor setting. They are very kind and don't make it so awkward to be in the office. They don't judge you. Everyone is in the waiting room with the same wanting, everyone is wanting a family. They are in the same boat you are in.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
They were always opening when you needed them. They worked with your schedule.
IUI was almost $400 Appointments are $20-$30 with insurance IVF around $12,500
She wants what is best for her patients.
2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Janet Bouknight] treats me like a human. Always ask how I'm feeling and really listens... really listens to my concerns and does everything she can to help us grow our family. If I have questions she answers them well. She calls to check on me and see how I'm doing when she does not have to. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else...We used a single embryo transfer. She feels this is the healthiest way to go and we do too.
IVF cycles cost around 15k [at Alabama Fertility Specialists]. We have done 2. IUI is 1300. We have done 2...The facility is clean and everyone is nice and really helpful. They are always there to answer any questions you may have. And they are always smiling. They do everything they can to make sure you are happy...Dr Bouknight really listens to my concerns and does everything she can to help us grow our family. If I have questions she answers them well. She calls to check on me and see how I'm doing when she does not have to. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Ask questions if you need to because she doesn't mind.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
She treats me like a human. Always ask how I'm feeling and really listens.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
IVF cycles cost around 15k. We have done 2. IUI is 1300. We have done 2.
Describe Janet Bouknight's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Janet Bouknight
Birmingham

I loved everything about Dr. Malizia. She was understanding, compassionate, and she didn't make me feel like just another number. She is very knowledgeable and she explained what our game plan for treatment would be.... She listened thoroughly and explained everything. We were able to get started right away and she truly showed compassion.... I am still in treatment but so far we have done 1 IUI with 100mg of Clomid and HCG Trigger shot and monitoring visits with ultrasound and bloodwork.
I love this clinic! They [Alabama Fertility Specialists] cater to you, and don't make you fell rushed while you are there, and they don't make you feel like just another number. They are great with returning calls and each one of the staff if great about knowing you personally.... They are all so wonderful. I use Hailey most of the time and she is so good about explains everything, and if I need to speak with her she is always great about calling me back right away!
To definitely go with her! I'm so grateful I chose her as my doctor!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Hailey)
I love this clinic! They cater to you, and don't make you fell rushed while you are there, and they don't make you feel like just another number. They are great with returning calls and each one of the staff if great about knowing you personally.
Birmingham
Dr. Steincampf really spent a lot of time going over all my medical records with my husband and I. Spent about 45 mins with us discussing his plan and looking over my records. He was very thorough and answered all of our questions and explained all benefits and risks.... He was always very nice and thorough with all of my appts. Always encouraged us and said he was rooting for us. He would always make sure we felt comfortable during the procedure and made sure we didn’t have any questions
Nursing staff [at AL Fertility Specialists-Birmingham] was always very compassionate and had a smile on their face. Willing to go an extra mile if needed and would always make sure I was comfortable as the patient. They were always eager to help with anything.... Very prompt to answer your questions, scheduling appts. Easy to work around peoples schedules to find them an appt that works best. Always had someone on call 24 hours in case you needed someone. Not a super busy clinic that made you feel like you were crammed in there
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: We had Karen Hammond DNP see us a couple times)
Nursing staff was always very compassionate and had a smile on their face. Willing to go an extra mile if needed and would always make sure I was comfortable as the patient. They were always eager to help with anything.
Birmingham

She [Dr. Malizia] was very personable...She is very friendly but does not necessarily explain the whole reasoning of the treatment courses. Like your numbers are not ideal but does not go into further explanation of why or if that is the cause of infertility...they [Alabama Fertility Specialists] are all wonderful people! As the people you deal with mostly, they are loving and compassionate about your situation.... Scheduling was never an issue they always put the patient first.
Its location [Alabama Fertility Specialists - Birmingham] is horrible to get in and out of, parking is kind of bad as well, other than that the staff is friendly and caring and feel like family. Scheduling was never an issue they always put the patient first....they are all wonderful people! As the people you deal with mostly, they are loving and compassionate about your situation....She [Dr. Malizia] was very personable... She is very friendly but does not necessarily explain the whole reasoning of the treatment courses.
Ask questions
She was very personable
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Trista)
Its location is horrible to get in and out of, parking is kind of bad as well, other than that the staff is friendly and caring and feel like family. Scheduling was never an issue they always put the patient first.
2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
Dr. Steinkampf is a great doctor. You can tell he is very smart. At times he can be too smart if that makes sense. At times you just need someone to talk you through what's going on on your level rather than talk on a doctor level, but you can tell he definitely knows his stuff...He is a facts kind of guy, not real emotional. Gives it to you straight...
They [AL Fert Specialists] are a smaller office so they definitely know you, but there are times where the process was not explained and that you were just expected to know how and when to give yourself the shots. It may not change, but when you had to take a cycle off and with it being such an emotional experience, you want to make sure you're doing everything correctly...
He is a facts kind of guy, not real emotional. Gives it to you straight.
They are a smaller office so they definitely know you, but there are times where the process was not explained and that you were just expected to know how and when to give yourself the shots. It may not change, but when you had to take a cycle off and with it being such an emotional experience, you want to make sure you're doing everything correctly.

IUI With Other Docs
She [Dr. Malizia] always spoke to me personally and compassionately. She didn’t always remember every detail but she took time to look in my chart and refresh her memory when she needed to. It was obvious she wants to make sure everyone gets the right care.... I really was not sure what to expect when I was referred to her, but I am so glad that she became my doctor. She was always compassionate and caring. I really wish there were more doctors out there like her.
They’re so friendly and welcoming. It [Alabama Fertility Specialists] was smaller when I was there and I understand they’re getting bigger but I think just because of the kind of people who work there, it will always feel like a safe place.... They always called me by name and made it feel easy to be there.... She [Dr. Malizia] always spoke to me personally and compassionately. She didn’t always remember every detail but she took time to look in my chart and refresh her memory when she needed to.
Don’t feel afraid to ask questions so that you feel comfortable with everything that’s going on.
She always spoke to me personally and compassionately. She didn’t always remember every detail but she took time to look in my chart and refresh her memory when she needed to. It was obvious she wants to make sure everyone gets the right care.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Everyone was always welcoming and friendly. They always called me by name and made it feel easy to be there.
They’re so friendly and welcoming. It was smaller when I was there and I understand they’re getting bigger but I think just because of the kind of people who work there, it will always feel like a safe place.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
[Dr. Janet Bouknight] was very relatable and comforting during the process.. she opened up to me and my husband about her fertility issues and what all she had to do in order to conceive so we felt comfortable with her being our dr for this issue we are having...She did 2 surgeries on me to see what was going on inside. She even flushed my tubes an they looked fine she said.. she did both surgeries herself also
[The staff at Alabama Fertility Specialists] were pleasant. I did not have any issues with anyone...appointments are early morning only from 5am-7:30am. It’s early and it’s hard if u live far...They keep a very tight schedule and if you are late u will be worked in after the other clients...we had to pay for IUI that was $300.00 each time. On top of the injections that was $150. So 450-500 per month just for IUI
She was very relatable and comforting during the process.. she opened up to me and my husband about her fertility issues and what all she had to do in order to conceive so we felt comfortable with her being our dr for this issue we are having..
Listen to her advice in the beginning.. if she say loose weight do it! If she says something she knows her stuff. She did 2 surgeries on me and couldn’t find one issue stopping me from getting pregnant. So she told me not to give up and I’m not.
She opened up to me about her fertility issues and made me feel very comfortable..
Describe the protocols Janet Bouknight used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
She did 2 surgeries on me to see what was going on inside. She even flushed my tubes an they looked fine she said.. she did both surgeries herself also.
They were pleasant. I did not have any issues with anyone
Bring a jacket it’s cold.. but most dr offices are cold. And they appointments are early morning only from 5am-7:30am. It’s early and it’s hard if u live far, we lived a county over and some mornings we were late and we had to sit an wait to be worked in. They keep a very tight schedule and if you are late u will be worked in after the other clients..
My insurance use to cover iui bf Obama care. After that they took it away so we had to pay for IUI that was $300.00 each time. On top of the injections that was $150. So 450-500 per month just for IUI. We did a few rounds wo iui an jus meds and sex but it didn’t work .
I’ve never had this done before
Janet Bouknight
2017 - 2020, Successful
[Dr. Beth Malizia is] passionate about your care both physical and emotional. She is happy to walk you through your treatment and consults long distance for those with significant travel...My patient experience has been excellent even being more than 2 hrs away. If I do not see her directly and have questions she will take the time to speak with me over the phone and always consults me on my treatment of telling me what will happen...She lets you help direct your own treatment and does not push into something you are not comfortable with...
The clinic [Alabama Fertility Specialists] is excellent at getting labs completed timely and most appointments are on time. We have not had any issues and they always relay messages as needed being a long distance patient. They are in the process of switching office locations currently...Clearly communicate your expectations and how aggressive you want your treatment to be. She [Dr. Malizia] lets you help direct your own treatment and does not push into something you are not comfortable with...She is happy to walk you through your treatment and consults long distance for those with significant travel
Clearly communicate your expectations and how aggressive you want your treatment to be. She lets you help direct your own treatment and does not push into something you are not comfortable with.
Dr. Malizia is a mom of four and passionate about your care both physical and emotional. She is happy to walk you through your treatment and consults long distance for those with significant travel
The clinic is excellent at getting labs completed timely and most appointments are on time. We have not had any issues and they always relay messages as needed being a long distance patient. They are in the process of switching office locations currently.
2008 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Michael Steinkampf] is the best Doctor in the world! He’s very understanding, compassionate, and he cares. He is a success! We just couldn’t afford it! I will recommend him to the world. Him and his crew is amazing! He has now retired. He has the best doctors, nurses. He funded his facility. He very intelligent and smart! He has blessed so many people in the world!
There [Alabama Fertility Specialists] great! They care, friendly and they are like family !!! You wouldn’t find a better team. They are so amazing till it’s unreal! You will feel right at home and they make miracles!!! I wouldn’t hesitate one minute!! They make me very comfortable and they explain everything and they make sure you understand it perfectly!!!
He is the best Doctor in the world! He’s very understanding, compassionate, and he cares. He is a success! We just couldn’t afford it! I will recommend him to the world. Him and his crew is amazing! He has now retired. He has the best doctors, nurses. He funded his facility. He very intelligent and smart! He has blessed so many people in the world!
He is a blessing
He is amazing…the only reason we never became pregnant is because we couldn’t afford it. I’ve miscarriage twice.
Describe the protocols Michael Steinkampf (retired) used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
He put me on on ovulation medication, he ran die thru my tubes and found out I need IVF… which we can’t afford.
Excellent
There great! They care, friendly and they are like family !!! You wouldn’t find a better team. They are so amazing till it’s unreal! You will feel right at home and they make miracles!!! I wouldn’t hesitate one minute!! They make me very comfortable and they explain everything and they make sure you understand it perfectly!!!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Steinkampf (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Reasonable but we still couldn’t afford it
Birmingham

[Dr. Beth Malizia is] Compassionate, smart, nice, prompt, makes you feel like the only patient. Good doctor. Friendly. So far my experience has been good. Just praying for the positive pregnancy test.been doing fertility for 4 years.... This is a very clean and nice clinic [Alabama Fertility Specialists]. Very inviting space. They get you in and out when you have routine visits. Like for bloodwork and ultrasounds. Weakness would be sometimes I didn’t know how much a procedure would cost until after it was done. But maybe that is my fault for not asking.
This is a very clean and nice clinic [Alabama Fertility Specialists]. Very inviting space. They get you in and out when you have routine visits. Like for bloodwork and ultrasounds. Weakness would be sometimes I didn’t know how much a procedure would cost until after it was done. But maybe that is my fault for not asking.... [Dr. Beth Malizia is] Compassionate, smart, nice, prompt, makes you feel like the only patient. Good doctor. Friendly. So far my experience has been good. Just praying for the positive pregnancy test.been doing fertility for 4 years
This is a very clean and nice clinic. Very inviting space. They get you in and out when you have routine visits. Like for bloodwork and ultrasounds. Weakness would be sometimes I didn’t know how much a procedure would cost until after it was done. But maybe that is my fault for not asking.
Not really. It was just one time that my appointment didn’t get put in the system, but they fit me right in and all was well.
2015, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Beth Malizia] was very sweet.She communicated and was very encouraging.She prayed with me.She gave me hope.She had a genuine spirit about herself.She made me feel like I wasn’t alone.She made my experience one of a kind...focused on my needs and made me feel comfortable...I had 3 unmediated IUI’s...She’s awesome.
The [Alabama Fertility Specialists] clinic was great.It was clean and organized.They had compassion about what we were going through.They provided everything we needed while we were there.They were understanding if there was an Appt change.They even stayed over after hours with me to get my procedure done...Awesome staff that went over and beyond.
She was very sweet.She communicated and was very encouraging.She prayed with me.She gave me hope.She had a genuine spirit about herself.She made me feel like I wasn’t alone.She made my experience one of a kind.
She’s awesome.
They were focused on my needs and made me feel comfortable.
I had 3 unmediated IUI’s
Awesome staff that went over and beyond.
The clinic was great.It was clean and organized.They had compassion about what we were going through.They provided everything we needed while we were there.They were understanding if there was an Appt change.They even stayed over after hours with me to get my procedure done.
My insurance didn’t cover much so I paid out of pocket.
2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
I felt like Dr. Mclean looked at me and my difficult case as an individual and not just act as general protocol. I have several unlying factors as to why im struggling with infertility and i feel like she adjusts her treatments based on those factors...Cycle 1 with Dr M, we used the standard protocol on meds, my body didn't react like she was expecting, some eggs never matured enough for retrieval. Round 2, we tried a different approach and still got the same results as far as retrieving mature eggs
[Alabama Fertility Specialists monitoring appointments] If I went first thing in the morning, it was always quick and easy. Any time after that, I usually had to wait longer...Egg retrieval was around $10K, frozen transfer was around $2,200, Meds Cycle1-$3,700 Cycle 2-$7,000...[our nurse] was always quick to respond to me emails or calls. She always made be feel more at ease...
Ask alot of questions. Even though Dr, Mclean is a wonderful doctor, you still need to advocated for yourself. Knowing your body and how it reacts in certain environments helps tremendously.
I felt like Dr. Mclean really cared about me and my story. She spoke to me and treated me the same as if I were her sister.
I only have 1 ovary and no tubes. Therefore, I am always going to produce lower amounts of eggs than the average woman at my age with 2 ovaries. Cycle one, we found out that I had a polyp and endometriosis. Those were treated prior to my first egg retrieval. Both the Dr and I were very confident that that was my issue for not getting pregnant in prior ivf cycles. Obviously that wasn't the case, bc even though we addressed those issues, i still was unsuccessful. Cycle 1 with Dr M, we used the standard protocol on meds, my body didn't react like she was expecting, some eggs never matured enough for retrieval. Round 2, we tried a different approach and still got the same results as far as retrieving mature eggs. I appreciate that she tried different protocols. Now we are looking at donor eggs to have more eggs to work with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: KENDALL BOWLING)
Kendall was always quick to respond to me emails or calls. She always made be feel more at ease.
Some of the nurses didn't seem to have it all together like others did. Maybe it was just that our personalities didn't jive like others did. Nonetheless, they all were pleasant every time I saw them.
Birmingham

Dr. Long took the time from our initial consultation to get to know me, my husband, our family history, and our plans as parents...Don’t hesitate to ask questions or tell him when you can’t afford a particular medication, injection, procedure, etc...they will find a way to change something up so that you can receive treatment without paying an outrageous price...
[nurse of ART Fertility]If I call her line to ask a question, she almost always answers. If not, she returns my call within a few minutes...They work so well with one another and they ensure their patients are well taken care of... paid over $1,200 in copays and parking. We also paid almost $1,000 in medication and injections...
How was your experience with Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr Long has so many good qualities about him and his bedside manner as a doctor. I have nothing negative to say about him. During our initial consultation, he gave my husband and me his personal cell number and told us to call/text him whenever we had questions or concerns. One Friday I went in for labs to determine if I was pregnant, and his office staff did not get my labs back in time before they closed for the weekend. Dr Long took the time to go into the office the next morning (Saturday), check my results, and call my husband and me directly to speak to us and let us know the heartbreaking news. He always makes me feel as if I am well taken care of and as if I am an actual patient that he knows personally. I will forever recommend Dr Long to any of my friends who face infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Don’t hesitate to ask questions or tell him when you can’t afford a particular medication, injection, procedure, etc. He and his staff are phenomenal in what they do, and they will find a way to change something up so that you can receive treatment without paying an outrageous price.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr Long took the time from our initial consultation to get to know me, my husband, our family history, and our plans as parents. During that same meeting, he completed extensive tests to determine if there were easily identifiable reasons for why we could not become pregnant even after a year of trying. Even though we have not had a positive pregnancy test yet, Dr Long still goes above and beyond to give us the best care possible and encourages us to remember the end goal while continuing treatments. We love Dr Long and his entire staff. They make us feel at home and loved while we’re there.
Describe the protocols Cecil Long used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Most months, I begin taking 2.5 mg of Letrozole on cycle days 5-9. Letrozole helps me to grow follicles since I only ovulate on my right side. I then go in for my follicle check on day 9, and that would determine when I needed to take my trigger shot (Ovidrel—ordered from a specialty pharmacy in New Jersey). Once I take my trigger shot, we usually would go in for our IUI the next day. After our IUI, Dr Long would ask me to vaginally take progesterone which would help me to sustain a pregnancy if I had gotten pregnant.
Hannah (Dr Long’s radiologist) is the most precious human being I have ever met! She also takes the time to get to know each patient, and she prays over us each day on her way to/from work. She is just as eager as we are for us to become parents, and she does whatever she can to help us achieve our dream. Katie (Dr Long’s head nurse) is also precious. If I call her line to ask a question, she almost always answers. If not, she returns my call within a few minutes. The receptionist and other nurses are also amazing women who go above and beyond for all of their patients. They truly make me feel like I am home when I am there!
The clinic overall is absolutely phenomenal, and there are no weaknesses that I can identify. They work so well with one another and they ensure their patients are well taken care of and everyone has the same end goal: to help their patients become parents!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Last year from August 2019-December 2019, mg husband and I paid over $1,200 in copays and parking. We also paid almost $1,000 in medication and injections.
Cecil Long

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Cecil Long] has been very compassionate in every aspect including giving me his personal number if I ever needed him or had any questions. He has ran tests, diagnosed me and fixed issues I had that past doctors were clueless about that caused much of my infertility problems. He has assured me that he is going to do what it takes for me to be a Mother...explained things in a way I understood them...I had surgery because i had a blockage in my left tube well once he got in there he realized my other tube
they [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] were very affordable a lot better than I expected. and they worked with me if i had to pay out of pocket...from the moment walked into Dr. Longs office i felt very calm. it is a very welcoming environment...They [nurses] always called me by my name and have always been very welcoming. before and after my surgery they never hesitated making sure I was comfortable and answered any questions I had.
I would say that as a patient he never made me feel like a patient but more like a close friend or as if I was a family member. when I would cry he made sure i had a tissue and a hug to follow to let me know we would get thru this. He has always been very through and explained things in a way I understood them. Back in February I had surgery because i had a blockage in my left tube well once he got in there he realized my other tube wasnt good either. so he went ahead and removed both of them. the first thing I remember coming out of surgery is asking what did he have to do someone said he had to remove both tubes I broke down, it was only a few minutes after that he was by my side explaining what he had done why he had done it and how much easier it was going to be for me to have a successful pregnancy. I know if he didnt truly care for his patients he would have been in there to explain his reasoning that quick.
If are having trouble becoming pregnant and your present doctor had no explanation why it may be a little further to drive and cost a little more but to know why and know that you will be treated as a human making an appointment with Cecil Long is worth every penny. He is one of the most amazing men I've ever met.
From day one Dr. Long has never made me feel like I was just a number. He has been very compassionate in every aspect including giving me his personal number if I ever needed him or had any questions. He has ran tests, diagnosed me and fixed issues I had that past doctors were clueless about that caused much of my infertility problems. He has assured me that he is going to do what it takes for me to be a Mother. I have complete faith and trust in him and know without a doubt that choosing him to be my doctor was the best decision I have made.
They always called me by my name and have always been very welcoming. before and after my surgery they never hesitated making sure I was comfortable and answered any questions I had.
most of the time when you go into a doctor's office it feels like a doctor's office that always makes me uncomfortable well from the moment walked into Dr. Longs office i felt very calm. it is a very welcoming environment.
they were very affordable a lot better than I expected. and they worked with me if i had to pay out of pocket.
Cecil Long
Birmingham (closed)

Dr. Allemand is very kind and listens to your concerns. While he is patient and seems like he cares, he doesn't tailor your care to your specific needs. He wanted me to pursue IVF after 2 IUI cycles (only on follistim and HCG) and one bad semen analysis after all the other SA's have been within normal limits. It concerned me that he was pushing IVF without doing ANY baseline bloodwork on my husband.
Very busy clinic [ART Fertility of Birmingham], but efficient. The longest I ever have waited was about 30 minutes. The front desk is amazing and very welcoming. The lab staff are top notch, they never miss a stick and they get it over with quickly:) It takes ALOT to get a nurse on the phone and normally takes a while for them to return your calls, but they answer all my questions when I do speak with them. Ultrasound techs and NPs perform ultrasounds and are very considerate and are sure to tell you exactly what they see. Communication is poor between the patient, NPs and my MD.
How was your experience with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Be an advocate for yourself! Do your research and prepare questions prior to your visit, and write them down as soon as you get your answers, that way you don't forget:)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
During visits (baselines, follicle ultrasounds) you do not see your MD and see a NP, which is ok, but you do not see the same NP each time. I felt like my treatment plan was not personalized for my specific needs.
Describe the protocols Christopher Allemand used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Letrozole and HCG cycles (3x, 1 IUI all with negative beta HCG) Letrozole, Follistim 75u (Resulted in me ovulating early) (x1) Follistim 150u, HCG and IUI (x1 negative beta HCG) Follistim 150u, HCG, IUI canceled due to low sperm count
I have never seen the seem nurse more than twice. Most of the nurses I encounter are nice and friendly, others seem to be "over it".
Very busy clinic, but efficient. The longest I ever have waited was about 30 minutes. The front desk is amazing and very welcoming. The lab staff are top notch, they never miss a stick and they get it over with quickly:) It takes ALOT to get a nurse on the phone and normally takes a while for them to return your calls, but they answer all my questions when I do speak with them. Ultrasound techs and NPs perform ultrasounds and are very considerate and are sure to tell you exactly what they see. Communication is poor between the patient, NPs and my MD.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
IUI with semen prep $395 NP visit $45 MD visit $25 Letrozole $20 Follistim $200 HCG $130
Describe Christopher Allemand's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I was told by a RN to not start progesterone after my last trigger shot and my MD assumed I was on it. When I told him I was told to not start it, he made it seem like it was no big deal, regardless of the fact that my progesterone tends to trend on the low end.
Birmingham (closed)
Any question he [Dr. Allemand] will answer honestly...I am 23 years old. He sat with my mom and I and explained everything that was going on. For once, someone actually understood and made me not feel crazy about the pain I was feeling. He went through options and was very caring through the entire process. I felt like he took me very seriously which I appreciated...He recommended IVF & surgery beforehand! I had my surgery April 12th. I meet with him again on the 25th to discuss beginning my IVF treatments! I’m only 23, And in my first 6 months of marriage IVF is a scary / expensive thought but he put me at ease that it was the best option for me to have a family even if we have to work more for it!
I just had an operation removing endometretomas / adhesions / etc [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama]...[nurses are] Very sweet. Very helpful. Answer any questions. Only complaint is you get a different nurse everytime and I feel like they never completely know you or your situation and having to re explain / Re ask same questions is frustrating...After blood work I had two nurses tell me two different things about blood work! Then I called another and she said everything was perfect. Not sure if it was a mix up or just misinterpretations or if I asked the questions wrong! Clinic Nps
I had a hard time filling this out. I have yet to start my treatments so sorry if my answers are wrong or confusing. I have had a major endometriosis surgery at age 20. I have stage 4 endo! I’m constantly in pain, no sex life, not much quality of life. I got married 2 years later and instantly met with him! The endo is back, I had present tumors on ultra sounds. He recommended IVF & surgery beforehand! I had my surgery April 12th. I meet with him again on the 25th to discuss beginning my IVF treatments! I’m only 23, And in my first 6 months of marriage IVF is a scary / expensive thought but he put me at ease that it was the best option for me to have a family even if we have to work more for it!
Ask questions! Any question he will answer honestly.
We haven’t started yet. I am meeting to begin the IVF process Thursday April 25th! I just had an operation removing endometretomas / adhesions / etc.
Ask questions! Write things down. Make sure to ask the doctor more important questions because there are so many nurses sometimes they will tell you different things! Sometimes you really have to pry informations / results out because they take a second getting back to you.
The IVF could range anywhere between 15-20 thousand for one try. I’m not sure how many times it will take given my ovarian reserve.
Birmingham (closed)
The 1st month [with Dr. Allemand] we used clomid with trigger shot, 2nd-5th months we added added follistim to the plan to help produce more mature eggs. Then next step is to add another shot (can’t remember the name) and then IVF...I loved that he didn’t make me feel like I was too old to be wanting to have a baby. He made my husband and I feel at home discussing such intimate things with him. He has a great bed side manner and really cares about you as a patient.
I absolutely ADORE all of them [staff at ART Fertility Program of Alabama]. As soon as I walk in the door I am greeted by the best scheduling coordinator Ashley!!! Then to see Mildred or Lynn for bloodwork!!! Off to ultrasound with Brandi that most women dread but she just chats with you and it’s over before you know it. Then to see the nurse practitioners Tracey or Chasity. They are always both great at explaining what the next step is and Chasity is alway there for a big hug when you need it. Especially since I’m a crier!!! I love the staff!!!
First of all I loved that he didn’t make me feel like I was too old to be wanting to have a baby. He made my husband and I feel at home discussing such intimate things with him. He has a great bed side manner and really cares about you as a patient.
Be patient!!! It might work the first month and then it might take a while!!! Keep your head up and stay positive.
I absolutely love his staff. They made my husband and I feel like family. They always make sure when they called with result of test that it’s ok to talk and make you feel comfortable with any questions you might have.
The 1st month we used clomid with trigger shot, 2nd-5th months we added added follistim to the plan to help produce more mature eggs. Then next step is to add another shot (can’t remember the name) and then IVF.
OMG!!! There are no words!!! I absolutely ADORE all of them. As soon as I walk in the door I am greeted by the best scheduling coordinator Ashley!!! Then to see Mildred or Lynn for bloodwork!!! Off to ultrasound with Brandi that most women dread but she just chats with you and it’s over before you know it. Then to see the nurse practitioners Tracey or Chasity. They are always both great at explaining what the next step is and Chasity is alway there for a big hug when you need it. Especially since I’m a crier!!! I love the staff!!!
Strengths-they excel in everything. I couldn’t ask for a better office to go to. They make me feel at home and everyone is so friendly. They treat you like family!!! Weaknesses-NONE!!! Just make sure you take a notebook and write everything down where you can understand it. Keep it with you to write questions down for your next appointment. And don’t be afraid to ask!!!
IUI $395 IVF meds $5,000 then retrieval and all up to $15,000
Birmingham (closed)

We are doing IVF due to an inherited genetic disorder we do not want to pass to our children. Dr Honea listed to our story and supported us. She is very blunt and gives her honest opinion so if you can’t handle honesty she is not for you. For example, she is very honest about her opinion to not want to discard unused viable embryos.... Menopur/follistim, then monitored every other day until cetrotide was added. One embryos were 1.8cm HCG trigger shot 36hrs before retrieval. Her rationale was it was the same successful plan used my first cycle so why change.
They [the staff at ART Fertility Program of AL] are very efficient and all staff is wonderful. No one wastes your time which I appreciate. I’ve never waited longer than 15 minutes. Only negative is the clinic is older. It is however kept very clean.... Everyone on the staff has been so sweet and really makes you feel comfortable going through such an uncomfortable time. Even the lady who draws your blood is amazing. The ultrasound tech is such a sweetheart too! I love them all!
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Give her all the details you expect out of your care. She has 30+ Years of experience so has seen it all and will know how to tailor your cycle.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
My first experience with another doctor I was 100% just a number and that was horrible. I wasn’t given an appointment and just had to wait in line. Dr Honea sat us in her office from day one and listened to our needs. I always have an appointment time and very little waiting to see someone. Follow up calls are always made frequently.
Describe the protocols Kathryn Honea (retired) used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Janet )
They are very efficient and all staff is wonderful. No one wastes your time which I appreciate. I’ve never waited longer than 15 minutes. Only negative is the clinic is older. It is however kept very clean.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
12,100 for IVF cycle. 2200 for FET
Describe Kathryn Honea (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I respect her opinion for a single embryo transfer. A multiples pregnancy is higher risk so why try and achieve that first.

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
She [Dr. Kathryn Honea] also had to remove a large fibroid on my uterus that was causing me pain and maybe the cause of me not getting my periods... She would then start me on cycles of estrace, progesterone, and a round of metaformin because my blood glucose was extremely high and they thought that I might have PCOS...After about 2 years Dr. Honea came to the conclusion that I was pre-menapausal, and that I may not get my period again,but she continued wit the estrace and progesterone in order to build my lining for the donor eggs; because she said that would be our best option for having children.
The Birmingham nurses [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] are the main points of contact, and are in charge of the nursing line. I don't get to talk to the nurses in Huntsville unless I schedule an appointment. I think that her nursing staff are pretty nice, but I would like to be able to speak directly with the nursing staff at her Huntsville office since I deal with them more often than the Birmingham nursing staff. Both nursing staff are very helpful.
My experience as a patient with Dr. Honea has been pretty good. I think that she is very knowledgeable and I respect that she is easy to talk to. I really respect her that she has gone through a similar process to conceive her children, and that she was very understanding when we had to re-start our the process because my dad passed unexpectedly prior to us being the donor egg transfer; which put a lot of stress on our family. She makes you feel like you are not crazy for your feelings, and that you are not broken but just have to find a different way to become a mom. She has been our doctor for more than three years, and we would recommend her to other people. She has a personality that makes you feel comfortable and at ease, and makes you feel like become parents. She makes me feel comfortable and at ease, and answers any questions that I might have. I really appreciate her honestly, and I really like the fact that she is spiritual as well. She has made my husband and I experience pretty good, and help answer our questions.
A piece of advice that I would give a patient coming to Dr. Honea would be to come with any questions that you may have. Don't be afraid to ask your questions, and don't think that any question you ask are weird or not right to ask. You want to make sure that you questions and concerns are addressed, and don't be afraid to ask again if you don't understand. Don't be afraid that your questions are stupid or that you may have asked them more than once.
I think I feel like a number sometime because I don't have a direct contact with her office. I have to call the nurses line, and then wait all day or even sometimes two days to hear from them. I think because her practice is so large that you feel like a number because there are some many patients. Also, with her main practice being in Birmingham; its hard a lot of the time to get in touch with her even though she has an office in Huntsville. Moreover, I am a patient at the Huntsville office. The staff at the Huntsville office are amazing, but I don't have direct contact with them if I have any questions, and everything is funneled through the Birmingham office, which makes it difficult. Sometimes, it feels like being a number because I don't have someone directly that I can call with questions. I think that if my care was designed specifically for me and they would stay in contact with me more, I wouldn't feel so much like a number.
When I first started with Dr. Honea, I believe some of the first strategies that she used involved trying to get my period started. She used clomid, and birth control pills to try and get my period started, but I wasn't able to get my period started. She also had to remove a large fibroid on my uterus that was causing me pain and maybe the cause of me not getting my periods. After the surgery, she still continued to try and start my period, and I did get my period at least twice, but then it stopped. She would then start me on cycles of estrace, progesterone, and a round of metaformin because my blood glucose was extremely high and they thought that I might have PCOS. Moreover, when I would go for a uterine lining check, it was not thick enough, and my levels were not were they needed to be, so they would start the process over again. I continued on the cycles for about 2 years, switching my medicine out from estrace and progesterone to metaformin. After about 2 years Dr. Honea came to the conclusion that I was pre-menapausal, and that I may not get my period again,but she continued wit the estrace and progesterone in order to build my lining for the donor eggs; because she said that would be our best option for having children. However, I had to stop my cycles when my dad passed away unexpectedly in 2016, and I wasn't able to really start again until January of 2017. When I started treatment again, she also tried a round of Lupron shots for about 2 months in to get my lining and numbers up to par in order to get ready for the frozen egg transfer. She stopped the lupron shots because I still didn't get a period, but my lining was adequate and she ordered a SIS, and HSG back in October of 2017 which came back normal, as she wanted to make sure that my body would be ready to receive the donor eggs. I have continued to be on the metaformin, estrace, and progestrone for now until do select a donor from MyEggBank.
I think that the Nursing staff at her Huntsville office are great. I don't have that much direct contact with the nursing staff at Dr. Honea main office in Birmingham. I think that her nursing staff in her Huntsville office are so nice and compassionate, and I really enjoy her staff there. The nurses at the Birmingham office I have only spoken to over the phone, and they seem pretty nice. The Birmingham nurses are the main points of contact, and are in charge of the nursing line. I don't get to talk to the nurses in Huntsville unless I schedule an appointment. I think that her nursing staff are pretty nice, but I would like to be able to speak directly with the nursing staff at her Huntsville office since I deal with them more often than the Birmingham nursing staff. Both nursing staff are very helpful.
I would describe the ART of Program of Alabama strengths as follows:Knowledgeable and caring physicians and nurses; More than one location;Welcoming staff; Some weekend appointments offered;Lots of resources available regarding infertility; Answers your questions and helps you understand the processes involved with the ways you can become parents. Another strength would be the scheduling process. I would say that some of their weaknesses would be not being able to email the office with questions, not being able to speak with nurses at your designated clinic directly, and not having a specific nurse assigned to you.
My insurance did not pay for any of my expenses with Dr. Honea; however, my husband's insurance did pick up some of the cost. Moreover, I was still responsible for payments that our insurace didnt cover such as medications such as Lupron that cost $179.00. Exams that would cost between $200 to $250. I have come out of pocket for medications, office visits/exams SIS, HSG, and the our psychological consult that we did prior to registering with MyEggBank. In total we have spent roughly $6,500 out of pocket.
Dr. Honea will be doing a single embryo transfer which I am okay with since this is our first time doing it, and we wanted to make sure that if it didn't work on the first try, that we had another embryo to try.
I sent in some paperwork regarding completing my medical information for a grant that my husband and I were applying for and they didn't return the forms back to us, so we had to re-request for them to complete them again.
Birmingham (closed)

We love Dr Honea. She has always treated me like a human being, not just another number. She is very experienced and compassionate. She has personally called us when problems have arose and when I found out I miscarried. She is straight forward and always tells us what our next step is... For IVF we decided to try the Shared Risk refund program where payment is due upfront and 3 IVF cycles are included. We paid $18,800 for 3 cycles, which doesn’t include the stim meds or monitoring office visits. The IVF cycles include egg retrieval and transfers and if ICSI is needed as well.
It [ART Fertility Program of AL] is a large clinic with multiple doctors so sometimes I have felt like just a number when traveling to the main Birmingham office. I understand they are busy, but I have encountered mistakes and miscommunication between myself and some of the staff members. It was pretty discouraging even with how much we love our doctor.
I have been lucky to *mostly* speak with the same nurse, Lauren. However, at such a large practice I have had to speak to other nurses. I️ always feel way more comfortable just speaking with the same nurse because it feels more personal. I have come across some nurses that are not very compassionate and it feels like they’re just scooting me along or I have asked a stupid question. I’ve often told my husband that just because the nurses deal with so many patients everyday and have probably become custom to all of the weird questions, they should still try to show more compassion, sometimes the bluntness is a little harsh.
It is a large clinic with multiple doctors so sometimes I have felt like just a number when traveling to the main Birmingham office. I understand they are busy, but I have encountered mistakes and miscommunication between myself and some of the staff members. It was pretty discouraging even with how much we love our doctor.
We started with an IUI and I️ think the cost was around $300. But we did a sperm freeze as well so I believe that was another $300. I don’t exactly remember how much the medicine cost. For IVF we decided to try the Shared Risk refund program where payment is due upfront and 3 IVF cycles are included. We paid $18,800 for 3 cycles, which doesn’t include the stim meds or monitoring office visits. The IVF cycles include egg retrieval and transfers and if ICSI is needed as well. We have had two egg retrievals so that means two rounds of shots each time costing around $1,400. Normally I pay $35-75 per office visit when an ultrasound is needed, which is every week after a positive pregnancy test is confirmed.
Dr Honea has strong opinions on multiple births. I have gathered because of my age that she prefers to transfer just one embryo at a time. After this miscarriage we may move onto two embryos next transfer. But she is very weary of multiples and the risks of carrying multiples.
During our first IUI with the clinic we waited for ever because there was miscommunication with the different nurses and what we were doing that day. We had to make a quick decision whether we wanted to use my husbands fresh sperm or a frozen sample he had given before. The nurse called us when we had left the office and wanted an answer right then (we only had about 3 tiny vials of sperm) and weren’t sure what we wanted to do. More sperm samples meant driving 2 extra hours. We made it decision and called the nurse back only to speak with a different nurse. When the nurse practitioner finally came in to perform the IUI, we asked where the frozen sperm was and she said she wasn’t told we were using frozen sperm. I was furious. So the sperm we needed to use was still frozen and we had to wait an additional hour and a half in this tiny room for it to thaw. I think just with speaking with multiple nurses that day none of the information/decisions were relayed properly between nurses.