Birmingham
2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
Birmingham (closed)
2006 Brookwood Med. Ctr. Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35209
356 St. Lukes Dr
Montgomery, AL 36117
800-476-9787

2015 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Allemand is an incredible doctor. He’s personable, caring, extremely thorough and knowledgeable...He made time for every question we had. He comforted me when I was terrified of having procedures I knew were going to be painful. He was realistic with us when the decision was made to cancel our second IVF cycle. He gave us options, helped us make educated decisions and remained steadfast in his care even when we wanted to give up.
The Huntsville satellite office [of ART Fertility Program of Alabama] where I received most of my care by nurse practitioner, Nancy was phenomenal...Strengths: latest and greatest technologies, friendly staff, and compassionate nurses. Weaknesses: honestly can’t think of any. Having to drive 80 miles to see Dr. Allemand and have procedures was sometimes an inconvenience but most of my treatments were able to be done in the satellite office close to my home.
How was your experience with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Meeting Dr. Allemand was like a dream come true after years of being under the care of another fertility doctor. He was so personable, attentive, caring, kind, and knowledgeable. He made time for every question we had. He comforted me when I was terrified of having procedures I knew were going to be painful. He was realistic with us when the decision was made to cancel our second IVF cycle. He gave us options, helped us make educated decisions and remained steadfast in his care even when we wanted to give up.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Trust Dr. Allemand’s judgement.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the protocols Christopher Allemand used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
IVF cycle #1: stimulation meds, egg retrieval, and transfer IVF cycle #2: stimulation meds, cancelled egg retrieval, IUI, negative pregnancy test
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
The Huntsville satellite office where I received most of my care by nurse practitioner, Nancy was phenomenal.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Approximately $26,000
Huntsville
Dr. Honea is very kind and compassionate with me and my husband, she always asks for our opinions and makes sure we know what’s going on with our fertility plans. She quickly got us in treatments and going towards the baby goal! ... My cycles are very predictable so I haven’t had to do much medicine other than trigger shots to make sure I ovulate right for IUI’s. She prescribed me a thyroid medicine to get that straightened out. She prescribed my husband a motility support medicine for his sperm count.
I fell in love with the clinic [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] as soon as I was greeted by the staff! They are very effective at getting you going towards your goals! The clinic staff keep you involved in every step of treatment and stay in contact throughout your cycle. ... The staff and doctor are very personal and they treat you like they know you and care about your fertility. ... They are always friendly and compassionate towards me and my husband! They feel like family!
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
She’s very quick to help you achieve your baby plans!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the protocols Kathryn Honea (retired) used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
I fell in love with the clinic as soon as I was greeted by the staff! They are very effective at getting you going towards your goals! The clinic staff keep you involved in every step of treatment and stay in contact throughout your cycle.
Kathryn Honea (retired)
Huntsville

Dr. Honea is very nice and explains why things are happening.... She takes care of any doubts you might have. When she looked through my file she noticed some discrepancies from my previous doctor and decided to do her own investigation to find out what my real diagnosis is. She gave my husband and me a better chance than previous doctors.... Nancy does all of my ultrasounds in the Huntsville office. She is very kind and provides you with a very comforting feeling.
At the Huntsville clinic [ART Fertility Program of Alabama], you will have the same nurse and staff each time which I love mainly because I never have to wonder who someone is . It is a small clinic but you never wait more than a few minutes.... Nancy does all of my ultrasounds in the Huntsville office. She is very kind and provides you with a very comforting feeling.... The entire staff is super friendly and on a first name basis. Dr. Honea is very nice and explains why things are happening.
Be open-minded. I was super skeptical due to a previous doctor giving me no chance at having children. Dr. Honea will do whatever she can to help you achieve your dreams.
At the Huntsville clinic, you will have the same nurse and staff each time which I love mainly because I never have to wonder who someone is . It is a small clinic but you never wait more than a few minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
IUI $390 without insurance coverage
Kathryn Honea (retired)
Huntsville

She [Dr. Houserman] takes her time during consults, and reviews the plan and options thoroughly...She’s been great. She knows my history and is willing to do whatever it takes. She always gives us her full attention and she is very kind. When she has done my iui she was extremely efficient and gentle. I look forward to my visits with her...First, clomid, because I had only used letrizole to date. Then we added follistim and pregnyl and iui. For a year, that was the plan every month except those that holidays or travel got in the way. We got pregnant after 5 months with dr. H but lost the baby at week 7. We did everything right, the clinic handled the situation with the utmost respect. After the iui and tons of testing, the Mc was deemed unexplained. We did 2 more iui after that and no result, so now we are preparing to move on to next step
They [nurses at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] always know and recognize me. They are all efficient and friendly. My visits are Always on time and they communicate well...The place needs a facelift, it feels very dingy and outdated, but the quality of care is excellent. Also, the option to use a satellite clinic is super helpful since there are so many visits. My husband always had a hard time with sperm collection in the clinic because the room is awkward, but they will let you take a cup and bring it back, that’s been real helpful...Iui is $400 with sperm wash...First, clomid, because I had only used letrizole to date. Then we added follistim and pregnyl and iui. For a year, that was the plan every month except those that holidays or travel got in the way. We got pregnant after 5 months with dr. H but lost the baby at week 7. We did everything right, the clinic handled the situation with the utmost respect. After the iui and tons of testing, the Mc was deemed unexplained. We did 2 more iui after that and no result, so now we are preparing to move on to next step
How was your experience with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Write down questions ahead of time, it’s hard to think of them when you’re actually there.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
She takes her time during consults, and reviews the plan and options thoroughly.
Describe the protocols Virginia Houserman used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Chasity )
They always know and recognize me. They are all efficient and friendly. My visits are Always on time and they communicate well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Iui is $400 with sperm wash. My insurance covers most ultrasound and labs, I usually have a $25 copay per visit with doc/nurse. My RX is usually about $400 for follistim and pregnyl
Describe Virginia Houserman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Seems like she agrees to do 2
Montgomery

Since our first appointment Dr. Allemand had been very helpful and informative. He did somewhat get my hopes up by saying I'm young and thin and I'll have no problem getting pregnant. That was 5 months ago...But he's always had another plan and has always been open to my feelings and plans for the future.
The front desk [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] lady is super nice. The blood work technicians are nice, I just wouldn't say they're the most compassionate people in the office. The nurse practitioner is nice and informative and the nurse is kind and caring. ... One time I was told my progesterone would be called into the pharmacy across the street. By the time I got over there they had no record of the prescription. It was not a huge deal it was just a little bit of an inconvenience to go back to the clinic to find out what was wrong.
Be patient.
I almost always feel like a human when meeting with a nurse pr doctor. Only a couple times with blood work technicians and nurses have I felt like a number.
At first he just wanted to up my meds, both letrozole and metformin. After several failed cycles though he gave me a list of 4 options. We have now tried two of them and am currently waiting to see how this IUI will go.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy and chasity )
Tracy is the nurse practitioner. She is kind and I have no complaints about her personality except that she tends to be very cut and dry and straight to the point. Chasity has always been compassionate and caring and is there to talk as long as I need to. She has offered hugs and prayers and always is willing to help me and answer any questions I might have.
The front desk lady is super nice. The blood work technicians are nice, I just wouldn't say they're the most compassionate people in the office. The nurse practitioner is nice and informative and the nurse is kind and caring.
I think our first appointment was $250 plus lab work. I tend to pay $37 each time for blood work and ultrasound
Describe Christopher Allemand's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I have no knowledge of this.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
We did many rounds of of timed intercourse and only one was successful but ended in miscarriage [protocol with Dr. Houserman]. We’ve also done two IUIs which were both unsuccessful. We used follistem injections and letrozole to help me have more follicles and better chances of conceiving...is very caring, and personalized a treatment plan specifically for my husband and I. She is somewhat straight forward, but we like that. We definitely feel like she genuinely cares for us.
My main nurses [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] were wonderful! They helped me through every process, answered my millions of questions, and gave me hope. They are beautiful ladies with hearts of gold!...there was just one time that I wasn’t called with lab results, only they documented that they did call. Not a big deal in the long run...Overall, the clinic is run pretty well. The staff is friendly, and they all seem to truly care about their patients. Labs come back properly and calls are returned promptly, most of the time. I enjoy the ladies that work there.
Overall, Dr. Houserman and my experience have been very positive. I like how caring and positive she is. However, she is also very straight forward, which is something I don’t mind. She also is only willing to try treatment plans that we are comfortable with. She doesn’t try to push certain treatments or procedures we aren’t ready for. We very much enjoy her.
Some people might think that her being straight forward is harsh, but she’s very genuine and has a good heart. So, don’t mistaken that for her being rude or uncaring.
Dr. Houserman is very caring, and personalized a treatment plan specifically for my husband and I. She is somewhat straight forward, but we like that. We definitely feel like she genuinely cares for us.
We did many rounds of of timed intercourse and only one was successful but ended in miscarriage. We’ve also done two IUIs which were both unsuccessful. We used follistem injections and letrozole to help me have more follicles and better chances of conceiving. So far it just hasn’t been our time. However, we are still trying.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy/ Chasity )
My main nurses were wonderful! They helped me through every process, answered my millions of questions, and gave me hope. They are beautiful ladies with hearts of gold!
I have pretty good insurance. It covered most of my treatments and procedures. But I definitely wouldn’t be able to afford everything without the insurance I have now.
There was just one time that I wasn’t called with lab results, only they documented that they did call. Not a big deal in the long run.
Montgomery
She [Dr. Houserman] is so smart and does a great job at explaining things in detail. She is friendly and makes you feel welcome...At first she seems cold and like she’s talking in a different language. But once you start talking to her she is super friendly and open to any questions or concerns and addresses them...I did iui’s with clomid and then she switched me to letrazole just to see if my body would react better. Same reaction. So then we did a pure shot cycle with iui. Used follistim and HCG shot. Ovaries reacted very well. But my emotions were horrible i was super angry all of the time. Then i quit working and decided to go to IVF. did follistim menopur progesterone hcg leuprolide. Did egg retrieval with good results froze the unused embryos and am currently waiting to see if i am pregnant from the fresh transfer.
Love ALL of the nurses at both Montgomery and Birmingham [offices of ART Fertility Program of Alabama]. They all are so positive and make it as nice of an experience as possible. We never even have to wait very long either which is awesome...Only twice the nurses forgot to give me a prescription. One time it was for progesterone but the nurse at Birmingham asked about it and got it for me immediately and did not affect that cycle at all. And the other time the nurse forgot to give me the prescription for antibiotics that we had to take before the egg retrieval but once again it did not effect the cycle bc i got home and looked at my calendar and saw i was supposed to get the prescription.
At first she seems cold and like she’s talking in a different language. But once you start talking to her she is super friendly and open to any questions or concerns and addresses them. She is just so smart it’s hard for her to tell us things in our way and not the medical way. But if you ask she will clear any confusion up! She’s a great dr.
To trust her. At first we weren’t sure of her so we questioned her decisions a lot. But she knows what she’s doing.
She is so smart and does a great job at explaining things in detail. She is friendly and makes you feel welcome
Love ALL of the nurses at both Montgomery and Birmingham. They all are so positive and make it as nice of an experience as possible. We never even have to wait very long either which is awesome.
Be prepared to be overwhelmed and when you get home write down any questions you have. Bc you will forget them by the next visit. Trust the dr and the nurses but also understand that they do this all day everyday and that sometimes you have to ask why are you doing this what are you doing, what is my next appt for.
Prob around $25,000-30,000 in all
We thought really hard about this. We chose to transfer 2 embryos instead of just one because of me having unexplained infertility. We still don’t know what the problem is so we wanted as much of a chance that was possible just in case implantation has been the problem. We asked dr Houserman and she was immediately onboard with it. I thought she was going to push to do just one bc of the risks but given my age and all of my bloodwork and everything always looking amazing and promising she decided it would be worth it for us.
Montgomery

I've enjoyed working with Dr. Allemand thus far. He is a good communicator and thoroughly addresses my concerns and answers my questions. He is obviously very knowledgeable and passionate about his patients. I have not identified any concerns about his care.... He is logical and works in a stepwise fashion, wanting to avoid any unnecessary treatment. This philosophy aligns with my goals, but may not align with every patient's goals.
I have generally enjoyed working with Tracey and the ART team in Montgomery. They are caring and compassionate and provide patient-centered care.... I did have one situation in which an appointment I had scheduled was not recorded in their system. However, this was because they had recently hired a new front-desk clerk and the error occurred in training. I have had no other such issues.... Strengths: small and reasonably efficient; you're usually able to get in and out efficiently for normal monitoring appointments
Dr. Allemand had reviewed my information prior to my visit, was very responsive to my questions, and comes up with a personalized plan. He may not be as warm/outgoing as some other doctors, he was personable and related to me well.
letrozole only letrozole + Follistim combo cycle for more flexibility with dosing and to assist with thickening of my endometrium Follistim only due to timing and to facilitate thickening of endometrium
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mendelsohn)
I have generally enjoyed working with Tracey and the ART team in Montgomery. They are caring and compassionate and provide patient-centered care. My only critique about Tracey is that sometimes there ends up being small detail-related issues about scheduling or follow-up.
Strengths: small and reasonably efficient; you're usually able to get in and out efficiently for normal monitoring appointments, staff is generally nice and personable Weaknesses: none that come to mind
My copays for general visits are ~$60 for the clinic, which includes ultrasound and labs.

2010 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Cycles 1&2 [with Dr. Cecil Long], Clomid with monitoring. Cycles 3-5, Gonal-f, Menopur, and hcg trigger with IUI. Rational was to try and produce one quality egg each cycle. Quality over quantity. None of the cycles were successful... we wish he would have been a bit more aggressive...There were several cycles where we used injections, which are very expensive, and rather than up the dose or change the medication protocol, he would have me taking injections for more than two weeks. Honestly, we believe that contributed to late ovulation and therefore lack of success with our IuI procedures.
The greatest strength of ART in my opinion is their timeliness. They are very quick and very thorough. Everyone is so friendly, but not over the top. The lab people are amazing, and results are called in as soon as possible, sometimes expedited. Each nurse takes their time with the patient and doesn’t rush through anything. Every doctor is the same. They truly care about helping families expand!...These nurses have cried with us on many occasions. Always helpful, pleasant, and encouraging.
How was your experience with Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. Long has excellent bedside manner. He is very thorough, though not as aggressive as we would have liked at times. He’s very conscious of the cost of treatment, but sometimes can ignore that fact. Hence, we wish he would have been a bit more aggressive with out treatments. There were several cycles where we used injections, which are very expensive, and rather than up the dose or change the medication protocol, he would have me taking injections for more than two weeks. Honestly, we believe that contributed to late ovulation and therefore lack of success with our IuI procedures.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Ask him to be aggressive with treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
He always had my most recent information and never had to search back through my chart. He remembered my details and asked about our life outside of infertility. He laughed and cried with us. He encouraged us and was honest with us.
Describe the protocols Cecil Long used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Cycles 1&2, Clomid with monitoring. Cycles 3-5, Gonal-f, Menopur, and hcg trigger with IUI. Rational was to try and produce one quality egg each cycle. Quality over quantity. None of the cycles were successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Each cycle cost us between $2500 and $4000.
Montgomery

I was concerned about my weight, and I wasn't having cycles on my own. She [Dr. Houserman] told me it was a non-issue, as my treatments were essentially controlling my hormones and their roles for me. I took a break for over two years. I lost 40 pounds, and came back to her for treatment again. When I visited her for a new consult, she said they weightloss was great, but another 40 pounds would be even better... I was confused because years earlier, it seemed to be a non-issue. Anybody who's ever gone through fertility treatments knows what a difficult task it is to lose weight while injecting all of these meds. I didn't lose any weight during the next 7 months of treatment, but I didn't gain any either. My follicles definitely responded better this time, as I was ready to trigger just 10 days in! I went through 7 months of treatments, each ending with a negative beta.
out of pocket they [IUIs] were around $400 per cycle. IVF starts around $11,000 per individual cycle [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama]...The Montgomery clinic is a small satellite clinic for the main office in Birmingham. The doctor is only at the satellite office when visiting a new patient. All interactions with the doctor from the satellite clinic are via video conference. The Montgomery office is small, but I've never had to wait more than just a few minutes to get back to a patient room.
Dr. Houserman is very realistic, without being overly blunt. She will answer any questions you may have, but over my entire course of treatment, I've only seen her a few times. Almost all of my interactions have been through the Nurse Practitioner. If I do "meet" with Dr. Houserman, it's a teleconference. If I want to meet in person, I have to drive to Birmingham, which is over 2 hours away. When she comes to the Montgomery clinic, it's only for new patients. It makes me feel like a level of personal understanding of my needs and goals is not being met.
She is practical and realistic. She is not overly soft & sensitive, so if you're looking to be hugged and coddled, she is not the doctor for you. She is warm and kind but matter-of-fact when it comes to prognosis, treatment, etc.
I have PCOS. I initially went to Dr. Houserman years ago, but my follicles would never grow to maturity to do a trigger shot. I was concerned about my weight, and I wasn't having cycles on my own. She told me it was a non-issue, as my treatments were essentially controlling my hormones and their roles for me. I took a break for over two years. I lost 40 pounds, and came back to her for treatment again. When I visited her for a new consult, she said they weightloss was great, but another 40 pounds would be even better. I was confused because years earlier, it seemed to be a non-issue. Anybody who's ever gone through fertility treatments knows what a difficult task it is to lose weight while injecting all of these meds. I didn't lose any weight during the next 7 months of treatment, but I didn't gain any either. My follicles definitely responded better this time, as I was ready to trigger just 10 days in! I went through 7 months of treatments, each ending with a negative beta. I started out with clomid+menopur for a couple of cycles, then just menopur, then increased menopur, then follistim+menopur. The longer I continued with treatments, the slower my follicles began to grow. It's as if my body was just tired, and nothing was working. I met with her a couple of months ago, where she told me I had made a 'valiant effort', but it was time to move on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy)
Tracy is a very good listener. She's honest, compassionate and optimistic, which is exactly what you need when you're going through this process. She, too, has gone through treatments, so she understands the whole process from the patient's side.
Insurance did not cover IUIs, so out of pocket they were around $400 per cycle. IVF starts around $11,000 per individual cycle.

2015, Unsuccessful
I felt like since I had to go to a satellite office (since it was the closest of their offices to me), I had a lot of ultrasounds with no discussion at all about what was going on. If I wanted to see the Dr., I either had to schedule a video conference, which took over a month...
Strengths were that I did eventually get in to do an exploratory laparoscopic surgery to evaluate the structure of my reproductive organs. Weakness - Although I had already been trying for over year and a half to get pregnant before I came to Houserman, it still took her over 7 months to give me any kind of diagnosis and she was willing to suggest I do costly fertility treatments, even if my problem could have prevented them from having any chance of working. I went to Dr. Houserman the first visit and gave her a comprehensive list of my health problems (heavy, long periods; back pain; pelvic pain; pain during intercourse; bowel trouble and bleeding bowel). What I know now is that all of these symptoms were reason to look into whether my problem was endometriosis. Instead, she prescribed me fertility medications which contained estrogen, which makes endometriosis worse and increases the inflammation, which decreases the chance of an egg getting fertilized and implanting. I feel like the 7 months and the hundreds of dollars I spent on fertility injections were a complete waste of time and money. Weakness - they do not do excision surgery on endometriosis and perpetuate the false information that burning off endometriosis with a laser will treat it and increase your chances of fertility. In reality (there is scientific evidence to back this up), the endometriosis can grow back as soon as the month after the surgery, so there is no guarantee that you have any period of better fertility. Instead of referring endo patients to an excision specialist, they continue to prescribe fertility meds and recommend iui and/or ivf without telling you anything about your decreased chances in those working if the endo grows back. Weakness: Do not give you any information on the possibility of any of your problems being cancerous. I went in the month after my lap surgery and was told I had a 7 cm cyst on my ovary and not given any information on the type of cyst, the precaution I should take to not increase the chances of the cyst growing bigger, or given any reason as to why a cyst that large popped up in a mere 3 weeks after my lap.
Do your research on all possible infertility problems before you visit her and if you think you might have a particular problem that they have not looked into or diagnosed, push for the specific tests that can diagnose that problem. Also, set your boundaries with her up front to let her know if you do not have the financial means to do iui or ivf. That way, she knows to be honest with you and tell you there is nothing more she can do to help you besides doing one of those procedures. It will eliminate wasting more time and money.
No, I felt like since I had to go to a satellite office (since it was the closest of their offices to me), I had a lot of ultrasounds with no discussion at all about what was going on. If I wanted to see the Dr., I either had to schedule a video conference, which took over a month, or I had to drive an additional 2 hours to the main office, which still took over a month to get in. During the video conferences, I felt like nothing was discussed in depth and I was given short answers, if any at all. We never got to the bottom of the problem of what was wrong with me, I was just always encouraged to do iui, even though my husbands' sperm was tested and proven to be more than good two times. Even though I felt that I had endometriosis and was told there might be a polyp in my uterus, I was still told to try iui until I pushed hard for exploratory laparoscopic surgery. I was not even told the lap was an option until I was 6 months into the treatments. I initially thought they would study my case individually, not just push me into a treatment that was not specifically designed to treat my condition.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Sheena)
They had one nurse practitioner at the Montgomery satellite office. Her name was Sarah and she was the only person who would give you medical information or evaluate your records and ultrasounds. Most of the time they would not schedule you with her. They would schedule you with the regular nurse, Sheena, who would not even look at your ultrasound or tell you anything about it. She would not volunteer info about test results. You had to ask her and pull it out of her. All she did was look at the plan Dr. Houserman created for you and ask you if you were ready for her to put the prescription in to the mail order pharmacy. So, unless you saw Sarah, there was really no point in even having an ultrasound. Unfortunately, as of last week, Sarah is no longer there and it is only Sheena.
They never gave me the results of my PCOS or blood clotting test. When I followed up with the nurse, Sheena, and asked about the PCOS results, at an appointment for bloodwork, Sheena told me "it's possible." I asked her to elaborate and also tell me why I was not told. She said there was one area that my levels were elevated, but I was probably not told because they probably just entered the "it's possible" result so that my insurance would cover it. I was even more confused and worried than before I took the test and still have not received any kind of explanation about this. I had my baseline testing at the beginning of my cycle that I was going to try iui for the first time. I was really excited and hopeful since I had just had a lap and supposedly my uterus was clear and all organs looked good to conceive. During my baseline ultrasound, I was told I had a 7cm cyst and I did not need to have sex or have my cycle followed at all. I was in complete shock. No one told me what kind of cyst or gave me any instructions for care. They just scheduled me for an appointment to come in for another ultrasound 2.5 weeks later. That is a long time to question what is going on with yourself, could it be cancerous, could it burst. I am still waiting for that appointment.
Montgomery

Dr. Houserman is a very knowledgeable and nice woman. She is blunt which I am ok with. Her bedside manner is pretty good. During a procedure she was very confident and reassuring, though quick. She is like most doctors where her time is stretched a bit and it’s a quick interaction...The first strategy was IUI. And if/when those didn’t work we would start something more in depth.
[ART Fertility Program of Alabama] Strengths would be: Warmth. In all things they have been nothing but loving Knowledge. They are good at answering questions and if they don’t know the answer finding someone who does And comfort. They make sure that through everything you are comfortable and at ease through the processes Weakness: ? I’ve tried to think of one and am at a loss for input
Don’t wait. If you think you need to see a specialist then do it. Houserman will do all in her power to try and get you to your end goal
Being at a satellite location I don’t get to see houserman much, but when I do she has been slightly in between. The first consultation she was more indifferent which I believe was because she didn’t have all of my info yet. She is very thorough
The first strategy was IUI. And if/when those didn’t work we would start something more in depth. New plans are being set at the moment
The nurses are amazing at Montgomery. They are caring and knowledgeable about fertility. Through treatment they really helped us to feel loved and involved in the whole process
Care and pricing seems about the same as all specialists in AL.
Montgomery
Dr. Houserman has always taken her time to answer any questions we have and to explain terms we do not understand. I recently suffered a loss and my daughter was stillborn. I called the clinic to let them know and within an hour Dr. Houserman called to check on me and offer her condolences. We have been nothing short of pleased with her as our doctor...My only wish is that we could continue treatment from start to finish.
This clinic [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] is efficient...they are very quick and respond in a timely manner. Everything from scheduling to bloodwork and ultrasounds is organized...[nurses are] Very patient and thorough. So compassionate and comforting. When you see people that often you cannot help got grow an attachment to them...Dr. Houserman has always taken her time to answer any questions we have and to explain terms we do not understand.
Very straightforward but compassionate. Her knowledge is exceptional. We have been so impressed with her. There has never been a time where we have had anything negative to say about her. My only wish is that we could continue treatment from start to finish.
Just listen to her suggestions. She knows what she is doing.
We used letrozole and trigger shots for each round and had great results with the response from my body. Once we got a positive pregnancy I began progesterone shots through 12 weeks. We were able to get pregnant however she was stillborn at 20 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy Mendelson )
Amazing hands down. Very patient and thorough. So compassionate and comforting. When you see people that often you cannot help got grow an attachment to them. They are fantastic.
They are very quick and respond in a timely manner. Everything from scheduling to bloodwork and ultrasounds is organized. I really do not have anything negative to say about them. This clinic is efficient and I personally see no weaknesses in the staff or logistics.
I have insurance but it does not cover everything.
2010 - 2018, Unsuccessful
We liked how matter of fact Dr. Long is when explaining treatments and risks/benefits. He is very thorough, without overwhelming you with data. We like that he is optimistic but realistic. The only thing that really bugged us is that we felt that for all the money we were spending, he wasn’t being as aggressive as we would like....Expect a slow and steady course of treatment. Always erring on the side of caution. It can be frustrating, but he has your best interest in mind.
This clinic [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] is vast in size, but very small town minded. Nurses, doctors, and staff all took the time to get to know us. Appointments are made quickly and blood work is returned quickly. Everyone seems to want to make sure their patients know they are the priority....Same nurses every visit, so very little turn over. All were compassionate and hopeful for us as future parents. All shared tears with us upon receiving negative results.
He always took care to ask about my life outside of fertility treatments. Even when visiting a satellite office, he would ask for video conferences so I could see and speak with him during my visits.
Our cycles were IUI with donor sperm. Medication protocol was 10-16 days of ovulation stimulation, HCG trigger, followed by IUI 12 hours later. In three cycles, we used Follistim, Gonal-f, Menopur, and HCG. Progesterone supplements followed each IUI until pregnancy test.
This clinic is vast in size, but very small town minded. Nurses, doctors, and staff all took the time to get to know us. Appointments are made quickly and blood work is returned quickly. Everyone seems to want to make sure their patients know they are the priority.
Typically, $2,500-$4,000 per cycle.
Describe Cecil Long's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Does not apply

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Long] took our individual situation into consideration for our treatment not just what the clinic does for every couple...He has been approachable and candid on our situation. Hopeful, but not making guarantees that he can't accomplish...After a failed cycle he would readjust medicines. After several failed he decided to do a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy to see about endometriosis. After readjusting meds and trying IUIs and injectables moving on to IVF.
Phone system/voicemail system for a nurse to call you back [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] is a little confusing and frustrating at first, but then get the hang of it...They are a wonderful, amazing group that really care for their patients...After a failed cycle he [Dr. Long] would readjust medicines. After several failed he decided to do a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy to see about endometriosis. After readjusting meds and trying IUIs and injectables moving on to IVF.
As we are currently still in the process of Fertility treatment and about to start the IVF process we have been very pleased with Dr. Long. He has been approachable and candid on our situation. Hopeful, but not making guarantees that he can't accomplish.
He took our individual situation into consideration for our treatment not just what the clinic does for every couple.
These reviews are for the Montgomery Satellite clinic. They are a wonderful, amazing group that really care for their patients.
Phone system/voicemail system for a nurse to call you back is a little confusing and frustrating at first, but then get the hang of it.
I would say reasonable for what they are. Unfortunately insurance does not cover much.
Montgomery
When I saw her [Dr. Virginia Houserman] she explained everything she believed needed to be done. When I had a chemical pregnancy, she called me herself and showed compassion and talked to me when she thought needed to be changed to improve my chances. Took their time and explained everything...she called me herself and showed compassion and talked to me when she thought needed to be changed to improve my chances...Knew my name when I walked in the door.
Nurses of [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] are very compassionate and took her time and explained everything...advantages would be their loving staff, they are able to work with your schedule so you are able to make an appointment...Each visit was $400...quick on calling you the results of your labs and try their best to help you to conceive
When I saw her she explained everything she believed needed to be done. When I had a chemical pregnancy, she called me herself and showed compassion and talked to me when she thought needed to be changed to improve my chances.
Don’t have any
Took their time and explained everything. Knew my name when I walked in the door.
Very compassionate and took her time and explained everything
I don’t know of any weaknesses. Their advantages would be their loving staff, they are able to work with your schedule so you are able to make an appointment, quick on calling you the results of your labs and try their best to help you to conceive. If you don’t have insurance that covers infertility, it will cost a lot.
Cost a lot. Each visit was $400.
Montgomery

Dr Houserman can be very business and then personal at times as well. Dr Houserman seems very intelligent and helps to ease the nerves knowing she’s knowledgeable in what she is doing. She has always exhausted all options when doing treatments.... [ART Fertility Program of AL- Montgomery's] Strengths are they are all very friendly and make you feel good even when things are going good. Weakness is the clinic is small so sometimes it’s not always as private as you would like because you can most things said in there.
[ART Fertility Program of AL- Montgomery's] Strengths are they are all very friendly and make you feel good even when things are going good. Weakness is the clinic is small so sometimes it’s not always as private as you would like because you can most things said in there.... Dr Houserman can be very business and then personal at times as well. Dr Houserman seems very intelligent and helps to ease the nerves knowing she’s knowledgeable in what she is doing. She has always exhausted all options when doing treatments.
To ask a lot of questions.
Listens to what you have to say.
Very nice