2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
Birmingham (closed)
2006 Brookwood Med. Ctr. Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35209
356 St. Lukes Dr
Montgomery, AL 36117
800-476-9787

2017 - 2022, Unknown Success
I feel like Dr. Allemand makes time for his patients and listens to their concerns. I do feel he could be more present through the whole process and not just for the big things or to give bad news. He is very compassionate and takes time when he sees you just wish it was more routine...I've used letrozole, follistim, menopur, metformin, estradiol and progesterone
Calling the [Alabama Fertility Specialists] office was a nightmare. Thankfully their online messaging system was available and quickly answered. The lab was always slow and behind. I was always quick to be called back for my monitoring appointments and that always went quickly...My ivf coordinator was extremely thorough and to the point. She shared her concerns and told me what to expect. [the nurse] was always available for any questions I may have had and always took time with me.
How was your experience with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
To make sure you ask questions. Sometimes, as in any profession, I think they get in the routine and forget not everyone has gone through fertility treatments before.
Describe the protocols Christopher Allemand used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
I've used letrozole, follistim, menopur, metformin, estradiol and progesterone
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Renee)
My ivf coordinator, Renee was extremely thorough and to the point. She shared her concerns and told me what to expect. Caitlin was always available for any questions I may have had and always took time with me.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Calling the office was a nightmare. Thankfully their online messaging system was available and quickly answered. The lab was always slow and behind. I was always quick to be called back for my monitoring appointments and that always went quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
IUI procedure, Egg retrieval, embryo transfer, monitoring

2021, Unknown Success
Dr. McLean appears to be a wonderful physician who truly understands her line of work. She is very thorough in explaining what issues her patient is facing and has went as far as drawing diagrams in order for the patient to have a visual understanding. She has a welcoming and calming personality that is greatly appreciated during this type of medical journey.
As a patient [at Alabama Fertility Specialists] it has been nearly impossible to call the clinic and talk to a person on the phone. The only time I have ever spoken with clinic staff is when I decided to physically drive to the location and ask about what I needed. I called for months to get an appointment and was never able to speak with anyone...the clinic support staff have become an added stressor to an already stressful fertility process
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Transparency is key in order for her to properly treat you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. McLean has been wonderful to work with the one time I have been able to have an office visit. However, when it came to actually getting an appointment with the clinic or getting a call back about my care I have felt invisible. I called for MONTHS and could never get in touch with a real person. I was then referred by my OB and it still took a couple months to get an appointment. Once I had the appointment the office still does not answer the phone nor did they call to set up my next appointment like I was told they would be doing. Lastly, I was never given the results of my bloodwork. It seems as if the staff supporting doctor McLean couldn’t care less about her patients.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Nurses have been impossible to get in touch with or any staff member at the clinic.
The support staff at this clinic have been well below the bar of expectations I had for this clinic. While they support a great doctor they have not made it easy for me to access the care of my doctor. I attempted for months to get an appointment with no success until I was referred by my OB. I couldn’t even get a person on the phone at the clinic. I had blood work done a week ago and have yet to hear about the results of that bloodwork. As a patient, I expected ALOT more attention to detail, punctuality, and professionalism from the clinical staff.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
As a patient it has been nearly impossible to call the clinic and talk to a person on the phone. The only time I have ever spoken with clinic staff is when I decided to physically drive to the location and ask about what I needed. I called for months to get an appointment and was never able to speak with anyone. I didn’t get an appointment until I was referred by my OB and even then I had to drive to the clinic in order to speak with someone to set the appointment up. I had bloodwork done and no one has yet to call me with the results. I was told I need to have an HSG procedure during my next cycle and no one has called to setup the appointment even after I went to the clinic and asked when they would be giving me a call. I feel the clinic support staff have become an added stressor to an already stressful fertility process.
Birmingham

Dr. Long took the time from our initial consultation to get to know me, my husband, our family history, and our plans as parents...Don’t hesitate to ask questions or tell him when you can’t afford a particular medication, injection, procedure, etc...they will find a way to change something up so that you can receive treatment without paying an outrageous price...
[nurse of ART Fertility]If I call her line to ask a question, she almost always answers. If not, she returns my call within a few minutes...They work so well with one another and they ensure their patients are well taken care of... paid over $1,200 in copays and parking. We also paid almost $1,000 in medication and injections...
How was your experience with Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr Long has so many good qualities about him and his bedside manner as a doctor. I have nothing negative to say about him. During our initial consultation, he gave my husband and me his personal cell number and told us to call/text him whenever we had questions or concerns. One Friday I went in for labs to determine if I was pregnant, and his office staff did not get my labs back in time before they closed for the weekend. Dr Long took the time to go into the office the next morning (Saturday), check my results, and call my husband and me directly to speak to us and let us know the heartbreaking news. He always makes me feel as if I am well taken care of and as if I am an actual patient that he knows personally. I will forever recommend Dr Long to any of my friends who face infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Don’t hesitate to ask questions or tell him when you can’t afford a particular medication, injection, procedure, etc. He and his staff are phenomenal in what they do, and they will find a way to change something up so that you can receive treatment without paying an outrageous price.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr Long took the time from our initial consultation to get to know me, my husband, our family history, and our plans as parents. During that same meeting, he completed extensive tests to determine if there were easily identifiable reasons for why we could not become pregnant even after a year of trying. Even though we have not had a positive pregnancy test yet, Dr Long still goes above and beyond to give us the best care possible and encourages us to remember the end goal while continuing treatments. We love Dr Long and his entire staff. They make us feel at home and loved while we’re there.
Describe the protocols Cecil Long used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Most months, I begin taking 2.5 mg of Letrozole on cycle days 5-9. Letrozole helps me to grow follicles since I only ovulate on my right side. I then go in for my follicle check on day 9, and that would determine when I needed to take my trigger shot (Ovidrel—ordered from a specialty pharmacy in New Jersey). Once I take my trigger shot, we usually would go in for our IUI the next day. After our IUI, Dr Long would ask me to vaginally take progesterone which would help me to sustain a pregnancy if I had gotten pregnant.
Hannah (Dr Long’s radiologist) is the most precious human being I have ever met! She also takes the time to get to know each patient, and she prays over us each day on her way to/from work. She is just as eager as we are for us to become parents, and she does whatever she can to help us achieve our dream. Katie (Dr Long’s head nurse) is also precious. If I call her line to ask a question, she almost always answers. If not, she returns my call within a few minutes. The receptionist and other nurses are also amazing women who go above and beyond for all of their patients. They truly make me feel like I am home when I am there!
The clinic overall is absolutely phenomenal, and there are no weaknesses that I can identify. They work so well with one another and they ensure their patients are well taken care of and everyone has the same end goal: to help their patients become parents!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cecil Long at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Last year from August 2019-December 2019, mg husband and I paid over $1,200 in copays and parking. We also paid almost $1,000 in medication and injections.
Cecil Long

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Bouknight is a true professional who cares about her patients. She works tirelessly to find answers. She is honest, but shares hard information in a thoughtful way...She has laughed with me, cried with me, and has been and integral part of our journey. She has listen to me and my requests, researched new scientific studies and changed my treatment based on what we have found.
I have struggled with the care of the IVF coordinators and nurses at the practice [Alabama Fertility Specialists]. I have been at the practice for almost 4 years and have had many nurses. I have caught many mistakes on the calendars sent to me and have had to advocate for myself a lot. I believe this is why Dr. Bouknight does all the appts herself... I fee as though many of the office staff and nurses , not the doctors, see me as a number not a human.
How was your experience with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. Bouknight is a true professional who cares about her patients. She works tirelessly to find answers. She is honest, but shares hard information in a thoughtful way. My husband and I believe she cares about us and wants us to have a baby as badly as we want to have one. When we finally got pregnant, we lost the baby at 8 weeks. She cried with us and did everything she could to make our painful situation better. She is a wonderful doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Be honest with her. Share openly your feelings and emotions, she can take it and will help you work through any problems you encounter.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
I have 100% felt like a human with Dr.Bouknight. She has laughed with me, cried with me, and has been and integral part of our journey. She has listen to me and my requests, researched new scientific studies and changed my treatment based on what we have found. Although we have not been successful yet, I trust her and believe that she will keep trying until I have a baby in my arms.
Describe the protocols Janet Bouknight used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
Fresh IVF cycle #1- resulted in no fertilization due to inconsistent estrogen levels Fresh IVF cycle #2- used ICSI and no Lupron. Estrogen level plateaued, eggs retrieved, took 10, 6 were healthy on day 5. Transferred 1 embryo, started bleeding 4 days later. Frozen IVF cycle1: Lupron, estradiol, progesterone protocol- transferred 1 embryo- bled on day 4. Tests run, progesterone low. Frozen cycle 2: progesterone increased, no bleeding- transferred 1 embryo- no pregnancy Frozen cycle 3- same protocol, chemical pregnancy. Performed hysteroscopy- removed polyps Frozen cycle 4- lost 1 frozen embryo. same protocol, transferred 1- negative test Fresh cycle 3: worked with Dr. Hill to get second opinion, did a new protocol with different shots and Lupron. Retrieved 14, 3 were okay on day 5. Genetic testing done on one due to viability- testing abnormal . Frozen cycle 5: same Lupron, estradiol, progesterone protocol, put in 2 embryos- negative test. Received donor eggs with Dr. Bouknight guidance. 6 were fertilized, 5 viable on day 5. Hysteroscopy #2 - clear. IVF transfer #7- same frozen protocol, transferred one, got pregnant with monochorionic twins, both had strong heartbeats at 6weeks, we lost them at 8 weeks. D&C done the next day. Currently started my 8th IVF cycle for frozen transfer with donor eggs. Adding a micro dose steroid and baby aspirin to the mix due to my thyroid antibody level being 205. We pray we have success!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Kendall Boling)
I have struggled with the care of the IVF coordinators and nurses at the practice. I have been at the practice for almost 4 years and have had many nurses. I have caught many mistakes on the calendars sent to me and have had to advocate for myself a lot. I believe this is why Dr. Bouknight does all the appts herself.
All doctors are knowledgeable, caring, and professional. However, you have to be your own advocate. You have to question things that don’t seem correct. I fee as though many of the office staff and nurses , not the doctors, see me as a number not a human. I have caught many mistakes in my 4 years and was grateful that I was so diligent in my own care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Bouknight at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
IUI- covered by insurance Fresh IVF- $10k Fresh with ICSI- $12k Frozen- $2500
Describe Janet Bouknight's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Bouknight definitely prefers single embryo transfers due to the risk of multiples. Whenever she changed a variable she kept it at one embryo. When we had our last 2 embryos in our last cycle with my eggs, we put in 2 due to their low quality.
As I stated before, I have found mistakes on my calendars due to my protocols not being standard. These were corrected when I brought awareness to them.
Birmingham

We clicked with Dr. McLean instantly. She has a great personality and is a great doctor. She is always very thorough (you will want to take notes) and doesn't make you feel rushed. She makes sure you feel confident in the plan and fully understand that plan...We did two cycles (after a recovery cycle) with Femara and Ovidrel. We were unsuccessful the first cycle but got pregnant the second cycle
Everyone [at Alabama Fertility Specialists] is amazing. I felt well taken care of by every single person. The ultrasound techs, phlebotomists, and the lovely ladies at the front are all amazing. Just relax as much as you can and know you are going to be taken care of...probably spent roughly $3K+ between medications, visits, and surgery.
Take notes and don't be afraid to ask questions. She is VERY thorough so it can be information overload at times.
Every single person from the ladies at the front desk to the lovely people in the labs were rooting for me. They were my cheerleaders and it showed.
Describe the protocols Mamie McLean used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
We did multiple rounds of Femara that were unsuccessful. We did an HSG and endometrium biopsy that came back positive for a benign polyp. Dr. McLean gave me antibiotics to help with inflammation and said we could try three more months of Femara and if no success or another miscarriage we would have to do surgery for the polyp. Those three cycles were all negative so we proceeded with a laparoscopy. She found endometriosis and removed it (via excision), tested my tubes while she was in there, and did a D&C to remove the polyp and clean my uterus out to give us a fresh start. We did two cycles (after a recovery cycle) with Femara and Ovidrel. We were unsuccessful the first cycle but got pregnant the second cycle. This last cycle was our last try before Dr. McLean wanted to move onto IUI.
The nurses are amazing. Michelle and Tyrie (maybe misspelled) were so sweet and pleasant to work with.
Everyone is amazing. I felt well taken care of by every single person. The ultrasound techs, phlebotomists, and the lovely ladies at the front are all amazing. Just relax as much as you can and know you are going to be taken care of.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I haven't really crunched the numbers, but I believe we have probably spent roughly $3K+ between medications, visits, and surgery. My insurance covers very, very little.
2014 - 2020, Unsuccessful
IUI With Other Docs
[Dr. Mamie McLean] is the most caring Doctor I have ever experienced! She gave me the option on which treatment I felt comfortable with and gave me all options and the success rates...Dr. McLean was very upfront about transferring no more than 3 with my condition and not knowing how my body would react...I was diagnosed with PCOS...gives me the courage and confidence to continue to the next treatment
Everyone in the [Alabama Fertility Specialists] clinic is upbeat and positive. They are understanding and willing to work with your needs and schedule. I can't think of a weakness other than the wait time can get a little long sometimes...Alyssa is an amazing nurse. She is always smiling and makes conversation with me and my husband. She is very compassionate and always returns my calls very promptly when I need anything.
Dr. McLean took over when Dr. Steinkampf retired and she is the most caring Doctor I have ever experienced! She gave me the option on which treatment I felt comfortable with and gave me all options and the success rates! She cried with me when my Invocell IVF failed, but gives me the courage and confidence to continue to the next treatment!
Keep an open mind and let her guide you through and don't be afraid to ask questions.
I was seeing Dr Stienkampf before he retired and he was so wonderful! Now I see Dr. Mamie McLean. She replaced him and she is the absolute best! Very caring, compassionate and understanding!
I have been on this journey for 8 years, but I will try my best... I started in 2014 with Dr. Steinkampf. I was diagnosed with PCOS. We first tried around 8 cycles of Clomid, Ultrasounds and timed intercourse. Each one we thought was the one. I eventually had to take a break and get myself together. I was still trying the Clomid off and on for about 3 years, but was not getting anywhere. I started seeing Dr. McLean in 2018 (I think). I wanted to jump right in and try Invocell, but she talked me into trying Femara for a few cycles. They ended up failing, so we went ahead and tried Invocell in June 2019. I was not an easy procedure for me, but I pushed through. We retrieved 12 eggs and 8 of them fertilized. Sadly none of them made it past Day 4. We did not get to transfer any of them. I was heart broken again and decided to take a few months off. I feel out only option is Full IVF, but my insurance doesn't cover it. I will try an IUI in June or July unless a miracle happens and I win the lottery!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
Everyone in the clinic is upbeat and positive. They are understanding and willing to work with your needs and schedule. I can't think of a weakness other than the wait time can get a little long sometimes. New patients need to have all their records sent over and be willing to try anything even if you have already tried it and it failed...
Usually everything was covered under my insurance except co-pays and deductibles for the Clomid Cycles. The Invocell and medicine was not covered. The Invocell was $6,000. The medicine for Invocell was $4,600 for me. My insurance didn't cover any of it. I actually would have paid more for the Menopur if they ran it through my Insurance.
Describe Mamie McLean's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Dr. McLean was very upfront about transferring no more than 3 with my condition and not knowing how my body would react. She let me make the decision, but sadly we never got that far.
2020, Unknown Success
I have seen her [Dr. Bouknight] every single visit to the clinic. She is so sweet and attentive. I completely trust her with our fertility plan...She is very sympathetic to our situation and really seems like she is invested in us getting a living child. She really makes us feel like she is on our side and not pushing unneeded medical treatments.
[Alabama Fertility Specialists nurse] will always call and let you know any and all info as soon as they know and she even calls to check up on me. She also always returns calls the same day...I feel cared for there. Not like a number or cattle being rushed through. They even moved locations recently and the office is so beautiful. It's like a spa. Doctors are great, nurses are great, office is great. It's really unlike any medical experience I've ever had.
I have seen her every single visit to the clinic. She is so sweet and attentive. I completely trust her with our fertility plan. We have not had any success yet, but I know if she can't help us get it done then it can't be done. She is very informed and stays up to date in her field. I would recommend her to anyone with any kind of fertility issues
Just show up and do what she says!
I have had a surgery to remove fibroids from my uterus and heparin injections and low dose aspirin for a blood clotting disorder and Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. We talked about wanting to cover all our bases and be extra cautious to avoid another miscarriage. We are still working on it but I feel confident that her treatment plan is the best plan for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Yvonne)
Yvonne is the sweetest and she always calls me. It's such a burden off my shoulders to not worry about having to call to ask about test results etc. Yvonne will always call and let you know any and all info as soon as they know and she even calls to check up on me. She also always returns calls the same day. I just love her plus she has a good sense of humor.
I just love this clinic I can't even think of one critical thing to say about it. I feel cared for there. Not like a number or cattle being rushed through. They even moved locations recently and the office is so beautiful. It's like a spa. Doctors are great, nurses are great, office is great. It's really unlike any medical experience I've ever had.
My insurance covers most of what I pay so I'm not really sure.
Birmingham

Dr. Houserman always listens to all my questions and concerns. Takes all the time I need. I never feel rushed. She is very knowledgeable and thorough. She is very kind...Write down all your questions and concerns. She will listen and discuss all of them with you. She’s very professional.
This clinic [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] is very organized, clean, up to date, kind and compassionate. They know who I am each time I come in or call. They know your time is very important and they don’t waste it. They are in this journey with you.
How was your experience with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. Houserman always listens to all my questions and concerns. Takes all the time I need. I never feel rushed. She is very knowledgeable and thorough. She is very kind. At my 3 month follow up she talked about all the treatments I had done and my results from them. She listened to all my questions, concerns, and symptoms. There we discussed what treatments needed to be done next.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. Houserman listens carefully to all my questions and concerns. Takes all the time I need. I never feel rushed.
Describe the protocols Virginia Houserman used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
First treatment was a cycle of Letrozole and HCG trigger shot with timed intercourse. Followed by vaginal progesterone. Resulted negative pregnancy test. HSG test was performed and results were great. No blockages found. Second treatment was a cycle of FSH shots, HCG trigger shot, IUI, and vaginal progesterone. Resulted negative pregnancy test. Third treatment was a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and hysterotomy. Endometriosis, adenomyosis, and scarring was found. Waiting to begin fourth treatment cycle.
The nursing staff is very kind and compassionate! They know who I am each time I come.
This clinic is very organized, clean, up to date, kind and compassionate. They know who I am each time I come in or call. They know your time is very important and they don’t waste it. They are in this journey with you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I
Birmingham (closed)

Dr. Houserman is a very knowledgeable and nice woman. She is blunt which I am ok with. Her bedside manner is pretty good. During a procedure she was very confident and reassuring, though quick. She is like most doctors where her time is stretched a bit and it’s a quick interaction...The first strategy was IUI. And if/when those didn’t work we would start something more in depth.
[ART Fertility Program of Alabama] Strengths would be: Warmth. In all things they have been nothing but loving Knowledge. They are good at answering questions and if they don’t know the answer finding someone who does And comfort. They make sure that through everything you are comfortable and at ease through the processes Weakness: ? I’ve tried to think of one and am at a loss for input
Don’t wait. If you think you need to see a specialist then do it. Houserman will do all in her power to try and get you to your end goal
Being at a satellite location I don’t get to see houserman much, but when I do she has been slightly in between. The first consultation she was more indifferent which I believe was because she didn’t have all of my info yet. She is very thorough
The first strategy was IUI. And if/when those didn’t work we would start something more in depth. New plans are being set at the moment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy and chasity )
The nurses are amazing at Montgomery. They are caring and knowledgeable about fertility. Through treatment they really helped us to feel loved and involved in the whole process
Care and pricing seems about the same as all specialists in AL.
Montgomery
Dr. Houserman has always taken her time to answer any questions we have and to explain terms we do not understand. I recently suffered a loss and my daughter was stillborn. I called the clinic to let them know and within an hour Dr. Houserman called to check on me and offer her condolences. We have been nothing short of pleased with her as our doctor...My only wish is that we could continue treatment from start to finish.
This clinic [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] is efficient...they are very quick and respond in a timely manner. Everything from scheduling to bloodwork and ultrasounds is organized...[nurses are] Very patient and thorough. So compassionate and comforting. When you see people that often you cannot help got grow an attachment to them...Dr. Houserman has always taken her time to answer any questions we have and to explain terms we do not understand.
Very straightforward but compassionate. Her knowledge is exceptional. We have been so impressed with her. There has never been a time where we have had anything negative to say about her. My only wish is that we could continue treatment from start to finish.
Just listen to her suggestions. She knows what she is doing.
We used letrozole and trigger shots for each round and had great results with the response from my body. Once we got a positive pregnancy I began progesterone shots through 12 weeks. We were able to get pregnant however she was stillborn at 20 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy Mendelson )
Amazing hands down. Very patient and thorough. So compassionate and comforting. When you see people that often you cannot help got grow an attachment to them. They are fantastic.
They are very quick and respond in a timely manner. Everything from scheduling to bloodwork and ultrasounds is organized. I really do not have anything negative to say about them. This clinic is efficient and I personally see no weaknesses in the staff or logistics.
I have insurance but it does not cover everything.
Montgomery
Dr. McLean is very personable and explains everything in a clear, easy to understand manner. She has a great bed-side manner. She also worked with us to find cheaper solutions when our insurance wouldn't cover certain tests. However, she is never on time for appointments, so we are left taking more time off work than intended...
[our doctors'] nurse always returns my phone calls properly and does everything she can to answer my questions...This [Alabama Fertility Specialists] clinic always runs an hour behind schedule. Also, it is impossible to get their billing staff to answer the phone. While the physicians do what they can to provide you with lower cost alternatives, this practice doesn't participate in any risk-sharing cost measures.They are also located at a very inconvenient location along 280.
Be prepared for the clinic to be an hour behind schedule.
Mamie has always taken time to answer all questions I've had and very personable.
We have only done IUI so far, but Dr. McLean wanted us to try IUI first since it is such a lower cost procedure.
The entire nursing staff is professional and caring. Dr. McLean's nurse always returns my phone calls properly and does everything she can to answer my questions.
This clinic always runs an hour behind schedule. Also, it is impossible to get their billing staff to answer the phone. While the physicians do what they can to provide you with lower cost alternatives, this practice doesn't participate in any risk-sharing cost measures.They are also located at a very inconvenient location along 280.
An IUI at this clinic, with ultrasound monitoring and bloodwork but not including medication, cost $637. Just the IUI was $260.
Birmingham
From the first consult I felt heard, and felt the sense of relief that a plan was in place. While going through the process - we had some setbacks, we had to cancel a transfer cycle. This allowed for further testing and modifications to the regimen...[Dr. Bouknight] took the time to go over a possible plan B, in case the transfer didn't work. That made me feel so much better, that she cared, and she put at ease all of my concerns.
[the Alabama Fertility Specialists nurse] was great, would call me back the same day. Give me options. She is Dr. B's primary nurse- so great communication...My perception is that this is a very busy clinic, the waiting room - always full. I asked for early appointments - and was able to come in and out in no time. However, I think that if I had later appointments I would have to wait for longer time.
She was recommended to me by a friend that had gone through infertility. I had been seen at another fertility clinic before, but I was not satisfied. From the first consult I felt heard, and felt the sense of relief that a plan was in place. While going through the process - we had some setbacks, we had to cancel a transfer cycle. This allowed for further testing and modifications to the regimen. Overall my experience was great, I would recommend her as a fertility specialist.
Ask questions, maybe have some written down for your consult.
While the whole treatment was highly protocolized, at the time of my embryo transfer I was not very confident about having a positive result. She took the time to go over a possible plan B, in case the transfer didn't work. That made me feel so much better, that she cared, and she put at ease all of my concerns.
She was great, would call me back the same day. Give me options. She is Dr. B's primary nurse- so great communication.
Birmingham

He [Dr. Christopher Allemand] was great and listened to me well. He was open to my feedback and adjusted the treatment plan according to what I wanted. I will say I only saw him for the initial consultation and for procedures, but otherwise saw nurse practitioners (who were also wonderful). No complaints...He spent time talking to me, recognized me outside of the clinic and said hello, and was generally friendly.
[ART Fertility Program of Alabama is] Really great and organized. They seem like they really care about their patients. They are friendly, they work with you, and they are very compassionate. You mostly see nurse practitioners instead of doctors during your visits, but they are so knowledgeable and caring and do a great job. Very pleased with the care I get at ART
He was great and listened to me well. He was open to my feedback and adjusted the treatment plan according to what I wanted. I will say I only saw him for the initial consultation and for procedures, but otherwise saw nurse practitioners (who were also wonderful). No complaints.
You are in good hands
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Allemand at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
So wonderful and caring
We have probably paid around 1,000 for medications, ultrasound, procedures, and office visits.
Birmingham (closed)

She[Dr. Mamie Mclean] is kind, caring, compassionate, loving, educated, and gives you hope...Surgery for endometriosis, letrozole 5 rounds 5th round with IUI, clomid 1 round, we then went to ivf. Done a freeze all cycle because I got OHS...[Eset approach] She wants what is best for her patients...She has always made you feel like you are cared about
They all[nurse of Alabama Fertility Specialists] care and treat you so well...[appointments]They were always opening when you needed them. They worked with your schedule...[est.cost] IUI was almost $400 Appointments are $20-$30 with insurance IVF around $12,500...She [Dr.Mclean] is kind, caring, compassionate, loving, educated, and gives you hope!
She has always made you feel like you are cared about! When I leave her office I know she wants us to have a family almost as much as we do! She is kind, caring, compassionate, loving, educated, and gives you hope!
She is there for you!
She and all her staff makes you feel like family. They care and you can tell they do!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Michael )
They all care and treat you so well
It is the best place I have ever been to in a doctor setting. They are very kind and don't make it so awkward to be in the office. They don't judge you. Everyone is in the waiting room with the same wanting, everyone is wanting a family. They are in the same boat you are in.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
They were always opening when you needed them. They worked with your schedule.
IUI was almost $400 Appointments are $20-$30 with insurance IVF around $12,500
She wants what is best for her patients.
2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Janet Bouknight] treats me like a human. Always ask how I'm feeling and really listens... really listens to my concerns and does everything she can to help us grow our family. If I have questions she answers them well. She calls to check on me and see how I'm doing when she does not have to. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else...We used a single embryo transfer. She feels this is the healthiest way to go and we do too.
IVF cycles cost around 15k [at Alabama Fertility Specialists]. We have done 2. IUI is 1300. We have done 2...The facility is clean and everyone is nice and really helpful. They are always there to answer any questions you may have. And they are always smiling. They do everything they can to make sure you are happy...Dr Bouknight really listens to my concerns and does everything she can to help us grow our family. If I have questions she answers them well. She calls to check on me and see how I'm doing when she does not have to. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.
Ask questions if you need to because she doesn't mind.
She treats me like a human. Always ask how I'm feeling and really listens.
IVF cycles cost around 15k. We have done 2. IUI is 1300. We have done 2.

2020, Unknown Success
I have never felt so cared for by a physician before...we felt so much more at peace because of how in depth [Dr. Merry Lynn Mann] was at explaining our diagnosis and prognosis with treatment...We had 2 hours of just talking with her...She did not rush us at all and never mentioned money. She was not pushy...answered all of our questions.
The clinic’s [Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)] communication is unmatched. I’ve never had an office that was so great at responding so timely. Their attitudes are always positive. They never make you feel dumb or like you are a burden...[Nurses are] Professional. Kind. Compassionate. Upbeat...Around $14,000 for egg retrieval, transfer, and genetic testing.
How was your experience with Merry Lynn Mann at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
I have never felt so cared for by a physician before. She explained things on such a low level we felt so much more at peace because of how in depth she was at explaining our diagnosis and prognosis with treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Merry Lynn Mann at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Don’t wait! Go see her! She’s fantastic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Merry Lynn Mann at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
We had 2 hours of just talking with her and she explained everything very in depth and answered all of our questions. She did not rush us at all and never mentioned money. She was not pushy.
Describe the protocols Merry Lynn Mann used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
We have not been through the entire process of IVF yet, but we have started the process. I have been diagnosed with Stage 4 Endometriosis. My chances with IUI are very low but my chances with IVF are much more promising. We have egg retrieval in one month.
Excellent. Professional. Kind. Compassionate. Upbeat.
The clinic’s communication is unmatched. I’ve never had an office that was so great at responding so timely. Their attitudes are always positive. They never make you feel dumb or like you are a burden.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Merry Lynn Mann at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Around $14,000 for egg retrieval, transfer, and genetic testing.
Describe Merry Lynn Mann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Dr. Mann is very clear in her approach with eSET. She is not opposed to 2 embryos but told us we would have to have a very in depth conversation discussing all the very serious side effects with it.
Merry Lynn Mann
2017 - 2020, Successful
[Dr. Beth Malizia is] passionate about your care both physical and emotional. She is happy to walk you through your treatment and consults long distance for those with significant travel...My patient experience has been excellent even being more than 2 hrs away. If I do not see her directly and have questions she will take the time to speak with me over the phone and always consults me on my treatment of telling me what will happen...She lets you help direct your own treatment and does not push into something you are not comfortable with...
The clinic [Alabama Fertility Specialists] is excellent at getting labs completed timely and most appointments are on time. We have not had any issues and they always relay messages as needed being a long distance patient. They are in the process of switching office locations currently...Clearly communicate your expectations and how aggressive you want your treatment to be. She [Dr. Malizia] lets you help direct your own treatment and does not push into something you are not comfortable with...She is happy to walk you through your treatment and consults long distance for those with significant travel
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Clearly communicate your expectations and how aggressive you want your treatment to be. She lets you help direct your own treatment and does not push into something you are not comfortable with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Dr. Malizia is a mom of four and passionate about your care both physical and emotional. She is happy to walk you through your treatment and consults long distance for those with significant travel
The clinic is excellent at getting labs completed timely and most appointments are on time. We have not had any issues and they always relay messages as needed being a long distance patient. They are in the process of switching office locations currently.
Beth Malizia
Birmingham

[Dr. Virginia Houserman] is very personal and caring with treatments and decisions to be made with each cycle/retrieval/transfer. she always assured us she was acting with our best interests in mind. she personally checked on us after each failed cycle...we transferred one the first two transfers and then she allowed us to transfer two the next cycle bc one embryo wasn’t graded as high as the rest.
The nurses and staff [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] are so compassionate and involved in your treatment...i really like how i could go to huntsville for checkups, video conferences and bloodwork, i only had to drive to birmingham for retrievals and transfers. the staff are so helpful with any questions you have...[Dr. Houserman] is very personal and caring with treatments and decisions to be made with each cycle/retrieval/transfer. she always assured us she was acting with our best interests in mind. she personally checked on us after each failed cycle
she is very personal and caring with treatments and decisions to be made with each cycle/retrieval/transfer. she always assured us she was acting with our best interests in mind. she personally checked on us after each failed cycle
be honest in what you want and don’t hold back
she is very personal
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
The nurses and staff are so compassionate and involved in your treatments
Describe Virginia Houserman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Birmingham (closed)
When I saw her [Dr. Virginia Houserman] she explained everything she believed needed to be done. When I had a chemical pregnancy, she called me herself and showed compassion and talked to me when she thought needed to be changed to improve my chances. Took their time and explained everything...she called me herself and showed compassion and talked to me when she thought needed to be changed to improve my chances...Knew my name when I walked in the door.
Nurses of [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] are very compassionate and took her time and explained everything...advantages would be their loving staff, they are able to work with your schedule so you are able to make an appointment...Each visit was $400...quick on calling you the results of your labs and try their best to help you to conceive
When I saw her she explained everything she believed needed to be done. When I had a chemical pregnancy, she called me herself and showed compassion and talked to me when she thought needed to be changed to improve my chances.
Don’t have any
Took their time and explained everything. Knew my name when I walked in the door.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy)
Very compassionate and took her time and explained everything
I don’t know of any weaknesses. Their advantages would be their loving staff, they are able to work with your schedule so you are able to make an appointment, quick on calling you the results of your labs and try their best to help you to conceive. If you don’t have insurance that covers infertility, it will cost a lot.
Cost a lot. Each visit was $400.
2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
I felt like Dr. Mclean looked at me and my difficult case as an individual and not just act as general protocol. I have several unlying factors as to why im struggling with infertility and i feel like she adjusts her treatments based on those factors...Cycle 1 with Dr M, we used the standard protocol on meds, my body didn't react like she was expecting, some eggs never matured enough for retrieval. Round 2, we tried a different approach and still got the same results as far as retrieving mature eggs
[Alabama Fertility Specialists monitoring appointments] If I went first thing in the morning, it was always quick and easy. Any time after that, I usually had to wait longer...Egg retrieval was around $10K, frozen transfer was around $2,200, Meds Cycle1-$3,700 Cycle 2-$7,000...[our nurse] was always quick to respond to me emails or calls. She always made be feel more at ease...
Ask alot of questions. Even though Dr, Mclean is a wonderful doctor, you still need to advocated for yourself. Knowing your body and how it reacts in certain environments helps tremendously.
I felt like Dr. Mclean really cared about me and my story. She spoke to me and treated me the same as if I were her sister.
I only have 1 ovary and no tubes. Therefore, I am always going to produce lower amounts of eggs than the average woman at my age with 2 ovaries. Cycle one, we found out that I had a polyp and endometriosis. Those were treated prior to my first egg retrieval. Both the Dr and I were very confident that that was my issue for not getting pregnant in prior ivf cycles. Obviously that wasn't the case, bc even though we addressed those issues, i still was unsuccessful. Cycle 1 with Dr M, we used the standard protocol on meds, my body didn't react like she was expecting, some eggs never matured enough for retrieval. Round 2, we tried a different approach and still got the same results as far as retrieving mature eggs. I appreciate that she tried different protocols. Now we are looking at donor eggs to have more eggs to work with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: KENDALL BOWLING)
Kendall was always quick to respond to me emails or calls. She always made be feel more at ease.
Some of the nurses didn't seem to have it all together like others did. Maybe it was just that our personalities didn't jive like others did. Nonetheless, they all were pleasant every time I saw them.
Birmingham

Dr. Allemand is very kind and listens to your concerns. While he is patient and seems like he cares, he doesn't tailor your care to your specific needs. He wanted me to pursue IVF after 2 IUI cycles (only on follistim and HCG) and one bad semen analysis after all the other SA's have been within normal limits. It concerned me that he was pushing IVF without doing ANY baseline bloodwork on my husband.
Very busy clinic [ART Fertility of Birmingham], but efficient. The longest I ever have waited was about 30 minutes. The front desk is amazing and very welcoming. The lab staff are top notch, they never miss a stick and they get it over with quickly:) It takes ALOT to get a nurse on the phone and normally takes a while for them to return your calls, but they answer all my questions when I do speak with them. Ultrasound techs and NPs perform ultrasounds and are very considerate and are sure to tell you exactly what they see. Communication is poor between the patient, NPs and my MD.
Be an advocate for yourself! Do your research and prepare questions prior to your visit, and write them down as soon as you get your answers, that way you don't forget:)
During visits (baselines, follicle ultrasounds) you do not see your MD and see a NP, which is ok, but you do not see the same NP each time. I felt like my treatment plan was not personalized for my specific needs.
Letrozole and HCG cycles (3x, 1 IUI all with negative beta HCG) Letrozole, Follistim 75u (Resulted in me ovulating early) (x1) Follistim 150u, HCG and IUI (x1 negative beta HCG) Follistim 150u, HCG, IUI canceled due to low sperm count
I have never seen the seem nurse more than twice. Most of the nurses I encounter are nice and friendly, others seem to be "over it".
Very busy clinic, but efficient. The longest I ever have waited was about 30 minutes. The front desk is amazing and very welcoming. The lab staff are top notch, they never miss a stick and they get it over with quickly:) It takes ALOT to get a nurse on the phone and normally takes a while for them to return your calls, but they answer all my questions when I do speak with them. Ultrasound techs and NPs perform ultrasounds and are very considerate and are sure to tell you exactly what they see. Communication is poor between the patient, NPs and my MD.
IUI with semen prep $395 NP visit $45 MD visit $25 Letrozole $20 Follistim $200 HCG $130
Describe Christopher Allemand's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
I was told by a RN to not start progesterone after my last trigger shot and my MD assumed I was on it. When I told him I was told to not start it, he made it seem like it was no big deal, regardless of the fact that my progesterone tends to trend on the low end.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Mclean was wonderful. She is so caring. Even though my last surgery did not go like either of us had planned I know she is really on my side wanting the best for us. She has tried so hard....She really gets to know her patients and creates an individual plan for each....Did an invocell cycle using menopur( tons of it) and the injections that keep you from ovulating I forgot what they were called then trigger shot.
This clinic [Alabama Fertility Specialists] is very efficient. There office staff is amazing. They try to get you in and out as quick as possible. You have so many appointments for this and they know most of us need to get back to work to pay for all of this. They are always kind....An iui is only $324 each plus your monitoring. Clomid is cheap. I spent a ton on follistim. Every iui that had follistim and hcg injection cost me about $2,000. The invocell cycle cost was $4,000. But I had to spend $6,000 in fertility drugs to go with it.
With her there are no weaknesses. She is an amazing doctor. This whole infertility journey I’ve been on has been filled with tons of heartache. She has supported me every step of the way.I trust her with any decision she makes. She has my best interest at heart. She really gets to know her patients and creates an individual plan for each. She wants everyone to leave with a baby they have been praying for.
To just relax. I know I hated hearing when someone told me that. But they were right. I was so worked up and consumed by this whole process. Worrying won’t change a thing. She is gonna take care of you.
In the beginning, I initially came to her because we had tried for over a year with no results. My periods were very irregular. So we decided to try oral femara, I believe 2.5 mg for cd 5-9. First month negative. Second month I was pregnant. 5wks 3days. Ended in chemical loss. Did four more cycles with no progress. Moved onto iui with clomid and hcg injections. Did two cycles of that with no progress. Did two more iui’s using follistim and hcg injection. No progress. Had my first surgery to remove endometriosis and remove some scar tissue on my cervix and found a weird Fallopian tube. It flushed so we kept it in.Two more iui’s with follistim and hcg injection. No progress. Did an invocell cycle using menopur( tons of it) and the injections that keep you from ovulating I forgot what they were called then trigger shot. 4 eggs retrieved. All placed in device. Husband always has great numbers. Waited the three days. Once opened one egg ended up not being mature. Only three were mature and two made beautiful perfect embryos. Since I had spent so much money out of pocket we had decided to implant both and not spend all that money to just freeze one. No pregnancy. Had surgery again to remove bad Fallopian tube we suspected to now be a hydrosalpinx. During surgery to or surprise both Fallopian tubes were totally blocked. She had to remove both so my chances at another egg retrieval would be the best they could possibly be. Wasn’t what we had planned but here we are. I’ve spent all our saving. Nothing left to do ivf with now. If I had a chance to do a total full ivf cycle I truly believe I will be successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Kendall is the IVF coordinator )
They were all wonderful. It was easy to communicate with them. I traveled so far for my treatment I had a lot of phone interaction. They were all great
This clinic is very efficient. There office staff is amazing. They try to get you in and out as quick as possible. You have so many appointments for this and they know most of us need to get back to work to pay for all of this. They are always kind.
These treatments were spaced out over two years for me. My heath Insurance literally covers nothing. The fertility drugs are so expensive. An iui is only $324 each plus your monitoring. Clomid is cheap. I spent a ton on follistim. Every iui that had follistim and hcg injection cost me about $2,000. The invocell cycle cost was $4,000. But I had to spend $6,000 in fertility drugs to go with it. Had two surgery’s in one year. There again my health insurance is a joke. The first one I spent $3,000 in deductibles. The second one was about $900.
She prefers single embryo transfer. However my case I only had two day 3 embryos. If I had gotten 4 or 5 embryos I could have froze the rest and just impalnted one. We didn’t see spending more to just freeze a single embryo and then pay a ton of money to do a frozen transfer later.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
We did many rounds of of timed intercourse and only one was successful but ended in miscarriage [protocol with Dr. Houserman]. We’ve also done two IUIs which were both unsuccessful. We used follistem injections and letrozole to help me have more follicles and better chances of conceiving...is very caring, and personalized a treatment plan specifically for my husband and I. She is somewhat straight forward, but we like that. We definitely feel like she genuinely cares for us.
My main nurses [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] were wonderful! They helped me through every process, answered my millions of questions, and gave me hope. They are beautiful ladies with hearts of gold!...there was just one time that I wasn’t called with lab results, only they documented that they did call. Not a big deal in the long run...Overall, the clinic is run pretty well. The staff is friendly, and they all seem to truly care about their patients. Labs come back properly and calls are returned promptly, most of the time. I enjoy the ladies that work there.
Overall, Dr. Houserman and my experience have been very positive. I like how caring and positive she is. However, she is also very straight forward, which is something I don’t mind. She also is only willing to try treatment plans that we are comfortable with. She doesn’t try to push certain treatments or procedures we aren’t ready for. We very much enjoy her.
Some people might think that her being straight forward is harsh, but she’s very genuine and has a good heart. So, don’t mistaken that for her being rude or uncaring.
Dr. Houserman is very caring, and personalized a treatment plan specifically for my husband and I. She is somewhat straight forward, but we like that. We definitely feel like she genuinely cares for us.
We did many rounds of of timed intercourse and only one was successful but ended in miscarriage. We’ve also done two IUIs which were both unsuccessful. We used follistem injections and letrozole to help me have more follicles and better chances of conceiving. So far it just hasn’t been our time. However, we are still trying.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy/ Chasity )
My main nurses were wonderful! They helped me through every process, answered my millions of questions, and gave me hope. They are beautiful ladies with hearts of gold!
I have pretty good insurance. It covered most of my treatments and procedures. But I definitely wouldn’t be able to afford everything without the insurance I have now.
There was just one time that I wasn’t called with lab results, only they documented that they did call. Not a big deal in the long run.
Montgomery

She [Dr. Honea] would advise us to have intercourse following trigger shot. We would come a week later for a progesterone check and then a week later for a pregnancy check. She also said we would be a candidate for IUI when we decided we wanted to go forward with that treatment...I felt like she listened to what we were struggling with and then came up with a game plan for us...She explained that we may not have success right away but assured us that she would walk with us and change treatment action according to what the outcome was and what our preference was.
She [nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] has always made me feel at peace and is so compassionate. She asks about my husband any time he is not able to make appointments and also remembers little details about us...I have really had no complaints from them. They are very accommodating and very reliable...They are very organized and work with my schedule. They walk with me as they are going through every step, every time we are there. Not only do they make sure I understand everything, they take the time with husband and makes sure he is understanding of all that we are doing this round. I
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
She sat with us after gathering all the data and came up with a game plan. She explained that we may not have success right away but assured us that she would walk with us and change treatment action according to what the outcome was and what our preference was.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Relax. She has your best interest at heart.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the protocols Kathryn Honea (retired) used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
We went on Femara from days 5 to 9 of each cycle. And then would receive a trigger shot around day 14 of the cycle. She would advise us to have intercourse following trigger shot. We would come a week later for a progesterone check and then a week later for a pregnancy check. She also said we would be a candidate for IUI when we decided we wanted to go forward with that treatment.
Mary is her primary nurse. And I love her. She has always made me feel at peace and is so compassionate. She asks about my husband any time he is not able to make appointments and also remembers little details about us.
They are in the middle of a construction zone right now in the Huntsville office, which is not their doing but a little hard to get to considering. They are very organized and work with my schedule. They walk with me as they are going through every step, every time we are there. Not only do they make sure I understand everything, they take the time with husband and makes sure he is understanding of all that we are doing this round. I have really had no complaints from them. They are very accommodating and very reliable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Honea (retired) at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Between office visits, medications and procedures we have spent well over $1,000 in the last 2 months.
Kathryn Honea (retired)
Huntsville

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Bouknight] is on the conservative side when it comes to treatments options, so if you want to be more aggressive, I would seek a different path. She genuinely cares for her patients, spending time with them and being completely honest with them...discussed with us the fact that she does not perform selective reduction. She informed us we would not be transferring more than 2 embryos at a time. This hasn't been an issue for us since each IVF cycle has produced 2 or less embryos.
Kendall [nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists] has always answered any questions we might have, never hesitating to contact a physician if she was unsure of what to tell us. During our miscarriage, which was over a weekend, she responded to an email within less than 5 minutes by calling us directly...IUI=$324...each Monitoring visits=$30 each...have been providing us with care for over 10 years now (my partner carried our first child, who is now 9).
Dr. Bouknight is obviously one of the smartest individuals I have ever communicated with, yet she can explain things to us in an understandable manner. Over the course of this journey, she has become more like family than our doctor. She still exemplifies the pinnacle of fertility care, but also exhibits compassion, which is so important when facing infertility. She is the first one to hug us at every visit, and ask about our entire family. She is conservative and methodical when it comes to selecting a treatment plan; she will never subject your body to more than it can handle. I have no doubt she wants us to leave this experience with a baby as much as we do.
Prepare to be cared for by one of the best in the business. She is on the conservative side when it comes to treatments options, so if you want to be more aggressive, I would seek a different path. She genuinely cares for her patients, spending time with them and being completely honest with them. You will probably have to wait a few months for an appointment, as the practice has grown tremendously over the past few years.
Dr. Bouknight has always spoken to us as though she genuinely cared for us. I have no doubt she is doing everything she can to get us a healthy baby. She jokes with us, laughs with us, and even identifies herself as "Janet" when she calls us.
Clomid was prescribed to me several months in advance before trying to get pregnant. I took this for several months before even attempting an IUI. Treatment #1: IUI with Clomid=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #2: IUI with Clomid=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #3: IUI with Clomid=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #4: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl=negative (Steinkampf) Treatment #5: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl (increased dose)=negative (Bouknight) Treatment #6: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl (increased dose)=negative (Bouknight) Treatment #7: IUI with Gonal-F/Pregnyl (increased dose)=negative (Bouknight) Treatment #8: IVF/Antagonist Protocol: Estrace, Gonal-F, Cetrotide, Menopur, Pregnyl, PIO (after transfer)=2 embryos created, frozen, transferred-positive pregnancy test/Chemical pregnancy Treatment #9: IVF/Flare Protocol: Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur, Pregnyl -this cycle was changed to an IUI after ultrasounds showed fewer follicles than anticipated-PIO shots continued after procedure until a negative pregnancy test. Treatment #10: IVF/Antagonist Protocol: Estrace, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Novarel: 1 embryo created and frozen-planning to transfer in June
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Kendall Bolling)
Kendall has always answered any questions we might have, never hesitating to contact a physician if she was unsure of what to tell us. During our miscarriage, which was over a weekend, she responded to an email within less than 5 minutes by calling us directly. This is a great example of the compassion she exhibits during procedures and consultations.
Alabama Fertility Specialists have been providing us with care for over 10 years now (my partner carried our first child, who is now 9). Over the years they have become like a family to us. They genuinely care about our family and sending us home with a baby after all of this is over. The only weakness I can think of is the fact they have grown so much over the past few years they are outgrowing their office space. When you have so many success stories and are paving the way for fertility treatments, patients flock to you!
IUI=$324 each Monitoring visits=$30 each Egg retrieval procedure=$9,000 Frozen embryo transfer=$2,000 Sperm sample refreeze=$400 Various surgical procedures (copay)=$250-$400 Medications=around $4,000-$5,000 for IVF rounds
Dr. Bouknight discussed with us the fact that she does not perform selective reduction. She informed us we would not be transferring more than 2 embryos at a time. This hasn't been an issue for us since each IVF cycle has produced 2 or less embryos.