Alta Bates

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
2999 Regent Street
Berkeley, CA 94705
510-649-0440
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alta Bates to a friend?
1 doctor
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Small, highly personalized care from the moment you enter the office [Alta Bates IVF Program]. The entire staff is warm and caring...[Nursing staff] Reliable, knowledgeable, patient, and compassionate. Wendy and Vivian treated me like I was the only patient with their personalized care and familiarity with my case.... Dr. Herndon had to relocate and unfortunately will not be able to see my treatment through to the transfer and early pregnancy, but he took amazing care to transition my case to his colleague. My new doctor was thoroughly debriefed for a seamless transfer.
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
Small, highly personalized care from the moment you enter the office. The entire staff is warm and caring.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
Dr. Herndon listened, showed compassion, and has been a partner in my fertility journey. He is humble, genuine, sincere, and modern in his entire approach. I truly appreciated that Dr. Herndon was not judgemental of our constraints and limitations, physiologically and financially. He took them into consideration and provided my husband and I our options and patiently and clearly explained benefits and risks. Dr. Herndon really cares about his patients and it becomes more and more evident each step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alta Bates.
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
From the start, and although a challenging case, Dr. Herndon was always hopeful for my husband and I, and made me feel hopeful for myself. Dr. Herndon is compassionate, meticulous, and extremely knowledgeable. I am so grateful that my OBGYN referred me to him. From my initial consult with him, it was obvious to me that Dr. Herndon was the right choice. His approach is unique and welcomed. He starts with education, then treatment planning (based on you, your conditions, etc. and couples it with data driven/research for an optimal outcome), treatment execution, treatment review and optimization, all the while providing close communication throughout the entire process. There is a lot more to fertility than what we learn about in our college biology class. Because treating fertility has so many variables, I liked that Dr. Herndon explained the physiology of conception; it provided the critical foundation which ensured I understood the treatment options, risks, benefits, and treatment milestones. He set expectations and continued to reset them as we progressed from one stage in the treatment to the next. This was so important for my husband and I in this journey. Dr. Herndon is a partner in the process every step of the way. I am currently halfway through my treatment. I had two retrievals for IVF, but am delaying my transfer to optimize my weight for a healthy pregnancy. I also had an abdominal myomectomy performed to remove multiple fibroids and normalize my uterus prior to the transfer. Dr. Herndon was so vested that he assisted my OBGYN in the surgery. I am forever grateful for Dr. Herndon for his medical expertise, surgical precision, and kindness. He has a sense of urgency and has been extremely responsive. He makes himself available 24/7, regardless of holidays or weekends, and is always the the one to deliver progress updates. I found this extremely comforting especially with the emotionally charged wait time after egg retrieval; evaluation for maturity, fertilization, blastocyst development, and genetic testing. Dr. Herndon has been there for me and my husband and has been truly happy for our successes and saddened by our setbacks. He is so well versed in fertility (just look at his resume) and has a genuine concern for his patients and their success. Dr. Herndon had to relocate and unfortunately will not be able to see my treatment through to the transfer and early pregnancy, but he took amazing care to transition my case to his colleague. My new doctor was thoroughly debriefed for a seamless transfer. Dr. Herndon is an extraordinary doctor and I will miss him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
Bring a pen and paper to your consult to take notes. Dr. Herndon shares a lot of information and it is helpful to write it down. Bring questions and concerns. Dr. Herndon is very good at putting his patients at ease.
Describe Christopher Herndon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alta Bates.
I appreciated that Dr. Herndon explained the benefits and risks associated with eSET vs multiple embryo transfer. He provided research statistics to back up the information and also reviewed the impact of genetic testing. Dr. Herndon provides the information, makes recommendations based on your goals, but ultimately leaves the decision to the patient without any pressure.
2012 - 2017
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Its a small clinic [Alta Bates IVF Program] and you get to know everyone in the office which is nice - Barbara, Maria, Vivian, Wendy, and. Dr. Herndon. For some procedures (egg retrieval, embryo transfer) you have go to another facility in Marin which I guess is a little less than ideal...[Nurse] Wendy was the perfect complement to Dr. Herndon. I came to really rely on her for support and to clarify instructions. I got to know what days she would be in the office and would call on those days to be able to talk to her specifically.
2012 - 2017
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
Its a small clinic and you get to know everyone in the office which is nice - Barbara, Maria, Vivian, Wendy, and. Dr. Herndon. For some procedures (egg retrieval, embryo transfer) you have go to another facility in Marin which I guess is a little less than ideal.
all recommendations were well explained and highly personalized
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alta Bates. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
Dr. Herndon is a perfectionist. I was impressed by how carefully he considered every step of my treatment. I had some ambiguous test results and he made the right call about how to proceed every time. I also recall one weekend when he spent a lot of time considering exactly what time I should take a trigger shot for egg retrieval mulling over my blood tests. Again he made exactly the right call about that. He clearly works very long hours, evenings, & weekends in order to make optimal decisions for his patients struggling through the emotional and extremely expensive process of infertility treatment.
Ask Dr. Herndon questions about strategy, options, anatomy, the science of IVF, etc. Talk to the nurses about steps in the process, getting clarification. The nurses (especially Wendy) were super great for reassurance and emotional support.
Describe the protocols Christopher Herndon used in your cycles at Alta Bates and their degree of success.
With my first pregnancy we started with less invasive (and less expensive) procedures and they worked right away (first IUI). My second pregnancy was much harder to achieve, I was older (37) and still had the anovulation/PCOS-type disorder but age had likely become a bit of factor. The strategy was to try with IUIs since that worked the first time, but eventually it became clear that IVF would give me a much better chance of pregnancy sooner. Given age, we did genetic testing of the embryos to avoid the anguish of another miscarriage (I had one from an IUI rounds). Dr. Herndon was cautious always about doing anything unnecessarily invasive. We did a transfer of a single embryo to avoid pregnancy with multiples which is more risky. I appreciated his caution.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates.
altogether for medication, egg retrieval, embryo transfer it was somewhere around $20,000 I think with extra costs for PGS and ICSI maybe adding another $4000-5000(?). IUI rounds (I did 5 before achieving my second pregnancy) were somewhere around $1000 each or maybe less, but some of that was partly covered by my insurance.
I strongly prefer caution. I was in agreement with Dr. Herndon's approach and was glad that he preferred single embryo transfer for my case. My understanding is that for health-related reasons single embryo transfers are preferable and that the rates of success (particularly for women with my particular set of issues and given that we did genetic screening on the embryos and transferred 5-day embryos) certainly warrant this caution.
Male Factor, Immunological, Unexplained
I wasn't crazy about the nursing staff [at Alta Bates - Berkeley]. I would get conflicting or unclear information from them at times, and would often have to follow up several times. Also experience some unprofessional behavior. I loved the dr [Dr. Herndon] so tolerated it...around 20K for one cycle including retrieval, genetic testing, frozen embryo transfer with medications...Dr. Herndon handled every aspect of my care so knew my case very well. He was also always open to discussing my treatment at any time and any ideas or thoughts I had.
Male Factor, Immunological, Unexplained
Kind but often disorganized
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
Dr. Herndon was a breath of fresh air after a terrible experience at another clinic. I was impressed with his candid manner and attention to detail right from our first meeting, and appreciated the time he took to discuss my care plan, before and during treatment. Things started out well as we went through just one embryo retrieval which yielded several normal embryos. He was an expert at knowing how to manage the medications leading up the to retrieval. Our embryos were genetically tested, so we planned for frozen transfers. The difficulties began with the transfers, when one after the other failed. After each cycle, Dr. Herndon always took the time to regroup with me and as time went on and there were no answers we would brainstorm together on what to do next. After 3 failed cycles, we ending up doing the endometrial receptivity test. The results were nebulous for varied reasons, which led me to repeat the test several times. This was no picnic and I think Dr. Herndon may have had his doubts about what the test could actually tell us, but he was supportive of me taking it as far as I felt I needed to. In the end, based on the ERA results we adjusted the timing of my 4th embryo transfer, and I am happy to say that I'm now 30 weeks pregnant! It was a long and difficult road that I don't think I could have traveled down without Dr. Herndon's care.
We opted for eSET and Dr. Herndon was very supportive of this, despite my age, given our embryos were genetically tested.
Berkeley
I never had to wait more than 5 minutes [at Alta Bates] for a monitoring appointment- no cattle line here. All monitoring appointments were scheduled for bw 8:30 and 10 in the morning...Wendi was a terrific nurse - at our last visit I called her "my rock," and I'm not prone to hyperbole. The other nurses I met there were fine, but not as good at listening or giving instruction.
East Asian, Ashkenazi Jewish
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
Barbara was amazing- she always picks up the phone, and I trusted that when she said she'd do something she would do it. She recognized us every time, and was equally warm and caring about our setbacks and our triumphs. I can see how working in this environment might make someone jaded or indifferent, but not Barbara. I didn't have as a great a time with the billing department. I acknowledge that 1) I had no idea what I was doing; 2) dealing with insurance companies is hell. But I often had to follow up multiple times with the office's financial person and it was hard (esp at the beginning) to suss out exactly how much this adventure was going to cost us.
I would agree with the previous patient that Dr. Herndon really takes his time with you (which is so incredibly rare in today's medical profession, and the main reason why I felt like a human at Alta). I think he's an incredibly brilliant, hard-working, and compassionate professional - he comes across as slightly wonkish, but for hand-holding I have my husband... and my therapist. With an RE, I was looking for someone who not only knows everything but is good at explaining it without any BS. Our initial appointment lasted around an hour, and follow-up consultations were just as long. We had to make a few tough decisions along the way and Dr. Herndon was very patient with our desire to gather all the facts before making/changing our minds. In terms of bedside manner, I would disagree with the previous posters - even when the office was very busy or when Dr. Herndon had just gotten back from a procedure he took the time to ask how I was, summarize where we'd been and where we were going medically, and explain what he'd seen during the ultrasounds. At one point right before our egg retrieval I seemed to stump him by asking what a worst or best case scenario would be, and though his answer was a cautious "it depends," he called me later that afternoon on his cell phone to elaborate on his answer, which I really appreciated. As a previous poster said, he called at a regular time every day to tell me how my embryos were doing, and would often follow up on a nurse's call by calling to see if I had additional questions. I should also mention that lovely Barbara at the front desk and Wendi (a nurse who has since left the office) were a huge part of our positive experience. Wendi was among the most no-nonsense, knowledgeable, kind, and patient people I've ever met. I felt like I could ask her anything. I really think we made a good choice by going to see Dr. Herndon.
Wendi was a terrific nurse - at our last visit I called her "my rock," and I'm not prone to hyperbole. The other nurses I met there were fine, but not as good at listening or giving instruction. So I don't know the current situation there (this was all back at the end of 2016).
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
I'm not sure what I can add to my "I was treated like a person" answer. I guess I would add that we went straight to IVF with ICSI due to MFI (low count, low motility, poor morphology). That was an easy decision that Dr. Herndon unequivocally recommended if we wanted to have our own children. We did PGS on all the embryos and froze the six that tested well. A few months later we transferred one, but it did not take. Then we dithered about whether to do another retrieval ('cause my eggs are gettin old, and we have the MFI) before another transfer. The dithering went on for a few months, but Dr. Herndon and Wendi patiently counseled us every step of the way. We were gearing up to do another transfer - with some additional measures added to help obviate the difficulties that we'd encountered with the first one - when I found out we had spontaneously conceived. Dr. Herndon monitored my early pregnancy- ordering my blood tests, doing ultrasounds to confirm implantation & heartbeat (most OB-GYNs won't see you until 8 weeks, I think?). So there were a lot of unexpected twists and turns in our fertility journey, but throughout we were treated in a straightforward, compassionate way.
Know in advance that caring and compassion come in different forms. Some doctors show it through more overt hand-holding, others through a warm bedside manner - and this may be what you want (no shame in your game). But quality time, prompt information-sharing, and deep expertise were what I wanted- and what I got- here.
IVF with ICSI (due to MFI- my labs were all ok) a month or two later, FET of one euploid embryo negative pregnancy test month after that... spontaneous pregnancy (they'd estimated that we had a less than 1/100 chance of conceiving naturally, which is why we went ahead with IVF. so we were pretty shocked).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Alta Bates.
I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a monitoring appointment- no cattle line here. All monitoring appointments were scheduled for bw 8:30 and 10 in the morning so I was usually able to commute to the city and work a half-day after. It pretty much ran my life for those 2-3 weeks of stimulation/retrieval/transfer, but there wasn't really another way.
I'd rather not say.
He recommended eSET. We asked why- more out of curiosity than out of a desire to transfer multiple embryos. He explained that there are more risks of complications or prematurity with multiple embryo transfer, and that current medical/ethical guidelines suggest that someone at my age without a history of miscarriage etc would only try out one embryo at a time. Again, that was in accordance w our wishes so we didn't press the issue.
Berkeley
Strengths [of Alta Bates] would be the Dr.'s and nurses. They have a great staff that make you feel right at home and very comfortable in their clinic. A weakness would be that their equipment is a little outdated, and the office could use a remodel in a few years...IUI's cost around $300.00, and the sperm washing around $150. Ultrasound check-ups were around $250.00 each.
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
Strengths would be the Dr.'s and nurses. They have a great staff that make you feel right at home and very comfortable in their clinic. A weakness would be that their equipment is a little outdated, and the office could use a remodel in a few years.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates?
Dr. C was very understanding to our situation and listened to all our concerns. He always made sure we had a clear understanding of what was going on and what was to come. He was curious about our lives outside of fertility, and was really genuine that he wanted to help us.
Nothing but great things for the nursing staff! They were caring, compassionate, clear on explaining procedures and instructions, and most of all, friendly.
How was your experience with Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates?
Dr. Chetkowski very clearly explained each procedure before hand, and all potential risks. We decided as a team what was best for our next step, and how to acheive it. We have done three IUI's with him, and each one, made new adjustments according to our changing situation. We trust him, and feel comfortable asking for advice and his opinion on what step we should take next. We had a pleasant and great experience working with Dr.C and his staff.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates?
One piece of advice would be to ask him to talk slowly if you have trouble understanding him, as he has an accent. He is always happy to repeat himself.
Describe the protocols Richard Chetkowski used in your cycles at Alta Bates and their degree of success.
Our treatment strategry was to focus on our initial diagnosis of male factor infertility, and go from there. We started with an unmedicated IUI cycle, which unfortunately ended with a negative pregnancy test. Our second and third cycle, my wife was on Clomid, and took a trigger shot to ensure ovulation. Again, we unfortunately found no success with any of our IUI's, but understood that there was no guarantee and understood the risks. Ultimately, Invitro will be our best bet to try for our circumstances. Dr.Chetkowski was very supportive of letting us try what we felt was right, combined with his medical advisement.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates.
Berkeley
The clinic [Alta Bates IVF Program] is well organized, clean, welcoming and great staff!... The nurses were kind, informative, compassionate, helpful, understanding and friendly! ... We paid out of pocket for our IUI's which was around $300 for the procedure, and $200 for sperm washing. I also paid $100 for the trigger shot and $10 for Clomid.... We came to Dr. Chetkowski aware that we had male factor infertility, and were looking into IUI.
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
The clinic is well organized, clean, welcoming and great staff!
I always felt comfortable and very informed on every situation. He answered any questions that I had, and was also interested in my life outside of fertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alta Bates. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
How was your experience with Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates?
Dr. Chetkowski was an excellent doctor! He always had time to sit down and explain every procedure and next step we took. I never felt uninformed or uncomfortable around him. He had a great bedside manner and was very quick, but still gentle. He understood my husbands and I situation very well and was concerned with all aspects of our life. He was supportive of our decisions, and listened well to the concerns we had. Although our procedures didn't end in pregnancy, I had a very positive and hopeful experience with him!
Don't be afraid to ask questions! He will listen and explain any concerns that you may have.
We came to Dr. Chetkowski aware that we had male factor infertility, and were looking into IUI. After getting to know each other, we decided as a team that an IUI would be the right choice for us. For our first IUI, I was prescribed 25 mg of clomaphine, and was to do at home ovulation testing until I received a positive to go in for the procedure. I also had a couple ultrasounds leading up to ovulation to make sure I was on the right track. Unfortunately our first IUI ended in a negative pregnancy test, but we were eager to try again for a second time. Our next IUI, was much like the first, but I was on 50 mg of Clomid and didn't go in for the procedure until a positive at home ovulation test. Unfortunately that one wasn't successful either. Our third IUI, a few months later, I was on 50 mg of Clomid and took a tigger shot before our procedure to ensure ovulation. This third IUI resulted in a negative pregnancy test as well. All three of these procedures we used my husbands sperm and each time his average after washing was about 2-3 million. We were saddened that none of the IUI's were successful for us, but hopeful we still have more options. We are now looking into IVF.
Berkeley
Dr. Chekowski's nurses are excellent; personable, kind and helpful. They take time to work with you so that you can learn what you need to do and remember you and your unique situation so you dont have to re-explain every time you come in. They are also very communicative and take great care in coordinating with you, pharmacies and insurance companies. I really enjoyed working with them...
Dr. Chetkowski respected my intelligence and made sure I understood the details and risks of the procedures I had under him. He took time to answer my questions and I never felt rushed when I was meeting with him.
How was your experience with Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates?
Dr. Chetkowski is a great doctor; I am glad I did my freezing with him. Positives: He has been doing this for decades so really understands what he is doing and how to course correct to make things work. He is through and makes sure that he does what is best for you and your body, not what would be fastest/ make the most money for the clinic. For example, right before I was going to start treatment, I became ill for an unrelated reason and he insisted that we not move ahead with the treatment so that I could get the other issue addressed. Weaknesses: Dr Chetkowski is not an overly emotive person. I am OK with that, as I value my doctors expertise over all other things but if you need a "warm and fuzzy" doctor, he may not be the right person for you. For example, it took a while for my follicles to develop and he called them "sluggish." I remember thinking if were more sensitive, this might have been hurtful but I realized that he was just telling the truth about my follicles!
Make sure that his tone works for you (and your partner if applicable). If you need an emotive doctor, he may not be a good fit for you.
I had egg freezing with Dr. Chetkowski. I took both pills and injections to get my eggs mature and then had them retrieved at Pacific Fertility Center in SF. I initially was on lower doses of the drugs but after it was clear my follicles were not responding quickly, I was increased to max dosage for about 7 days of my treatment. Dr. Chetkowski and his staff were very throughout about tracking my follicle growth progress.
I had about $700 of drug payments to make out of pocket; the rest of the drugs and procedures was covered by my insurance
Berkeley
There were two nurses on staff [at Alta Bates]. Wendi was amazing. She was compassionate, honest, and organized. She really provided a lot of emotional support during the process...The clinic is a bit bare bones. It's not fancy, but it's comfortable and intimate. I felt like everyone in the office knew me. Most of the staff felt caring and kind...Surgery to rule out a bicornuate uterus and resect a uterine septum. Egg retrieval, 12 healthy eggs. ICSI procedure which produced 8 day 5 embryos. Successful egg transfer with 1 previously frozen embryo. Monitoring a subchorionic hematoma in the first twelve weeks of pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
Dr. Herndon performed every scan and procedure for us. He took my phone calls and answered al my questions with straightforward scientific information. He called personally after all procedures to review findings and make sure that I was doing well.
There were two nurses on staff. Wendi was amazing. She was compassionate, honest, and organized. She really provided a lot of emotional support during the process.
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
Dr. Herndon provided high quality, direct care. First, he found a condition (uterine septum) that other doctors had not found despite doing the same tests. He answered every question and provided all the current evidence to our situation. When my partner had to start a heart medication that could affect fertility, he did reviewed the scientific evidence throughly to understand the best way forward for us. As a surgeon, I trust him completely. He did an amazing job with my procedures. He is a smart, competent, fastidious doctor. Sometimes he spoke quickly or technically, but he would always clarify as best he could if asked.
Trust your relationship with him, and make sure to ask all your questions until you have a full understanding.
Due to my fertility and age, Dr. Herndon strongly recommended transferring one embryo. Based on my fertility and the health of the embryos, he believed transferring more than one would lead to multiples.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Other
The best thing about this office is that you really feel like you are getting personalized care. The front office staff know everyone by name and not just a patient record. Barbara always has a very warm, welcoming greeting. They are also very accommodating. During part of my treatment, I was working over an hour away from the office and would occasionally hit unexpected traffic. I would call the office and let them know I was running a little late and they always eased my concerns of being late. The process of IVF treatment is stressful enough, it was really nice to have such supportive clinic staff.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
Dr. Herndon is a very caring and thorough physician. He always took the time to thoroughly answer any question that my fiancé or I asked. He not only answered the question but elaborated on any other information that he had that might help us understand the process more completely. We would often leave appointments and be surprised how much time he spent talking to us. It was not uncommon for us to spend over an hour asking questions and we never felt rushed. Also, after our egg retrieval we received timely updates about the status of our embryos. We greatly appreciated that he would call us at nearly the same time every day to give us an update. This care and communication felt both professional and very heartfelt. It meant a great deal to me and my fiancé during a very stressful time. Lastly, he really understood what our family goals were for children. After we found out that we only had one viable embryo out of three that we sent for PGS, we had several discussions about attempting another retrieval while I was 40 versus trying a year or two after a pregnancy. We felt that he understood what we wanted as an overall family picture and not just that cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alta Bates. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy and Vivan are amazing. They were supportive, knowledgable and caring during every visit. There were a lot of ups and downs during our months of treatment but they were always there with a supportive word or even a hug. I also really feel like they knew me as a person and not just a patient.
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
I was referred to Dr. Herndon after three miscarriages within 2 years. I had just turned 40 after the third miscarriage. I was advised by my ob-gyn to see Dr. Herndon and not to further attempt getting pregnant on our own, as our third miscarriage was genetically tested and had life limiting trisomy. Prior to our first meeting, Dr. Herndon thoroughly reviewed my chart from my ob-gyn. While I was encouraged to share my experiences with him, I found it very encouraging that he understood my background before my visit. During that first visit, we talked in detail about egg quality as it related to my age and previous miscarriages. We discussed the pros and cons of all possible treatment options during that first visit. We discussed IUI, IVF, ICSI vs. non-ICSI, using PGS. My fiancé and I appreciated that Dr. Herndon was very realistic with us. He was very knowledgable with the most recent research related to IVF and its statistics and he openly shared all of that information. He shared the statistics and odds of conceiving in a very candid yet caring manner. We both walked away feeling realistic yet hopeful. My fiancé and I decided to proceed with IVF and we also decided to do PGS because of our previous losses. Dr. Herndon thoroughly explained the protocol he was prescribing and all the steps in the process. Prior to our retrieval cycles, Dr. Hendon recommended and performed a hysteroscopy to assess my uterine lining after the D&C's from my miscarriages. Fortunately, he took this extra step because he was able to accurately diagnose Asherman's Syndrome. This diagnosis ended up being very important as I progressed through my IVF treatment. We ended up going through two retrieval cycles and had 3 - 5 day embryos to send for PGS. After the PGS testing, we ended up with one embryo that was viable for a frozen transfer. Knowing that we only had one attempt for this embryo to implant, Dr. Herndon discussed scenarios that would ensure optimal transfer. We ended up canceling two transfers, as my lining was not responding as we had hoped. While this was a little disappointing at the time, I am eternally grateful that Dr. Herndon recognized that we should wait for more optimal conditions. He made adjustments to my protocol leading up to the frozen transfer and we were able to achieve the best possible uterine thickness considering my Asherman's diagnosis. Fortunately, our transfer was a success and we received our first positive pregnancy result 10 days later. Dr. Herndon's care did not end with a positive pregnancy test. He monitored our pregnancy very closely the first few months. Unfortunately, I had periodic spotting throughout my first trimester and Dr. Herndon and his team were very attentive to our pregnancy during the stress of continued spotting. I had a very scary spotting episode a couple of weeks into the pregnancy. The episode happened to take place on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. It was very comforting to call the on-call number on that Sunday afternoon and have them offer to see me on the holiday rather than waiting until after the holiday. This is just one example of the care and concern from Dr. Herndon and everyone at his office. Both my fiancé and I are very happy with Dr. Herndon's professionalism, expertise, candor, responsiveness and heartfelt approach during our treatment. We had the best possible outcome and had a little girl born In January 2016. Regardless of the outcome of our experience, I would, and have, recommended Dr. Herndon to others seeking fertility treatment.
I would advise someone not to hold back on any questions with Dr. Henrndon - even if it is during a treatment cycle. He is open to hearing all feedback during any phase of treatment.
I answered this in the previous section
2012 - 2013
I do believe that Dr. Herndon takes a personal interest in his patients; however a few of the nurses on staff were very insensitive and at time quite rude. Given the stressfull nature of infertility and fragile state many of us patients find ourselves in, compassion and kindness should be the norm not the exception.
They were rushed and not particularly communicative or kind.
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
Dr. Herndon is relatively young doctor who had recently joined Alta Bates Fertility when I was under his care. I was 41 years old at the time and was advised by Dr. Herndon that I did not need to undergo IVF and that an IUI with clomid or injectables would suffice. He never once discussed the possibility of my eggs being of poor quality; only that my AFC was good and FSH within a satisfactory range. My AMH was never measured. I underwent a total of 6 IUIs (4 with clomid/femara and 2 with injectables). I did not conceive during these 6 cycles. I did conceive spontaneously between cycles on 3 separate occasions. The first ended at 9 weeks and subsequent testing revealed trisomy 21. The other two pregancies ended at 8 and 10 weeks respectively. While Dr Herndon was attentive and kind, I did not feel he was committed to finding the right treatment for me and was negligent in continuing to advise IUI. Had I been told that 85-90% of my eggs were abnormal, I would have pursued an entirely different course of treatment. With another few years of experience, I believe Dr Herndon will be a fine doctor but something tells me his heart is not in it.
Ask to speak with current or former patients!
2012 - 2015
3 IUI, Egg Freezing
None, Other
The hardest thing [at Alta Bates] besides the dr being totally there when I needed him, the insurance person made it really stressful too. I felt we were already under enough stress I felt that was something so unnecessary...The nurses always made me comfortable. I would always ask questions and they always tried to help.
2012 - 2015
3 IUI, Egg Freezing
None, Other
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
The hardest thing besides the dr being totally there when I needed him, the insurance person made it really stressful too. I felt we were already under enough stress I felt that was something so unnecessary.
For the first time 2012-I went through all test and ended up pregnant but he supervised it till 3 months and he was wonderful. 2015- not so much attention. Felt a bit neglected and had more confersations with the nurses, than the doctor. I felt he was pre occupied with other stuff. Felt it was like having a totally different doc.
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
The first time around he really took the time to talk to my husband and I about what was going on step by step. We felt he was truest concerned with my prefect and did everything possible to make it successful before he turned me over to my obgyn. 2nd time I felt every time I saw him he was ore occupied with something. Yes we were much older and the chances were slim but he didn't seem to care, and advise on other ways. Different hormones etc.
See how busy he is. See if he was taking on to much. We triply loved him first time around. Also don't be afraid to ask fir things you read about. I think he would take the time to talk to you.
Insurance picked up most. Out of pocket maybe $350
11 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Its a very small clinic [Alta Bates IVF Program] so you can expect personal service from the doctor, however, Dr. Herndon himself can be incredibly cold and statistical in approach.... They [the nurses] were very warm, but unable to compensate for Herndon's coldness.... I felt very much like I was just a faceless patient, a science experiment if nothing else, something to be successful at. My personal or individual needs were not attended to at all. He was very cold and mathematical in approach.
11 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
Its a very small clinic so you can expect personal service from the doctor, however, Dr. Herndon himself can be incredibly cold and statistical in approach.
No bedside manner whatsoever. He actually counseled me towards IVF when I was on my back immediately after the 2nd IUI. I was no where near considering IVF due to the cost and had said so repeatedly even at our first meeting, and said so again while on my back hoping the IUI would take while he's reciting stats to me for over 15 minutes. When later on I didn't schedule another visit, he called to tell me that I could be waiting too long and my window for IVF would close. He may have been right, but he sure was rude.
They were very warm, but unable to compensate for Herndon's coldness.
Don't expect warmth.
IUIs with letrozole.
I can't remember, I think about $600 per IUI.
I don't know.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
[The nursing staff at Alta Bates-Berkeley were] Extremely compassionate. Able to provide meds in an emergency if I ran short. There were some challenges ordering the right amount of medications and keeping track of what I had and needed.... Standard antagonist protocol - birth control pills, then Menopur and Gonal-F, then added Cetrotide, then HCG trigger. Doses of Menopur and Gonal increased sharply during treatment because of slow response.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Herndon personally performed all ultrasounds and contacted me with fertilization reports. He spent plenty of time during meetings answering my questions and was also available by phone. His nurses also knew me by name.
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
Dr. Herndon is very smart and seems on top of the latest research. He performs procedures personally. Even when I had a problem with an injection late at night, I was able to get him on the phone.
He's a fast talker and thinker, but don't be intimidated - take the time you need to ask questions.
Christopher Herndon
They [nurses at Alta Bates] were supportive and pleasant. Sometimes it seemed that they didn't always communicate among themselves enough...Over $19,000 for one IVF cycle, minus genetic testing (another ~$3000) and medication (another ~$6500)...Very conservative about outcomes, which I think is good. He [Dr. Christopher Herndon] is forthright, which is good. Is conscientious and returns messages. Sometimes he almost explains things too much. Other times I'm not sure what question to ask, but I can research on my own time because he provides enough information to do so.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alta Bates. (Assigned nurse: vivian)
They were supportive and pleasant. Sometimes it seemed that they didn't always communicate among themselves enough.
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
Very conservative about outcomes, which I think is good. He is forthright, which is good. Is conscientious and returns messages. Sometimes he almost explains things too much. Other times I'm not sure what question to ask, but I can research on my own time because he provides enough information to do so.
2013 - 2016
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
Great staff, wonderful doctors, small clinic [Alta Bates IVF Program]. Very responsive to patient needs. All retrievals and implantations had to be done elsewhere, so be prepared to travel to San Francisco or Marin for those....Both Dr. Herndon and his staff were extremely kind and empathetic....The nurses and staff were incredibly kind and empathetic. They were always happy to help and to explain. They remembered me even a year or more after my last visit. I always felt that they were supporting me and pulling for me.
2013 - 2016
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
Great staff, wonderful doctors, small clinic. Very responsive to patient needs. All retrievals and implantations had to be done elsewhere, so be prepared to travel to San Francisco or Marin for those.
Both Dr. Herndon and his staff were extremely kind and empathetic.
How was your experience with Christopher Herndon at Alta Bates?
Dr. Herndon was honest but kind. He was always willing to answer questions and to offer clear options. While I did not end up getting pregnant, I trusted that he was doing everything he could and that he had my best interests in mind.
He offered me the option and because I was a single mother he followed my preference for single embryo transfer, but recommended genetic testing to make sure that I wasn't wasting money and time.