Genetic counseling is not offered: Not Offered
Homewood
1 INDEPENDENCE PLAZA SUITE 810,
HOMEWOOD, AL 35209
205-315-6922
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama to a friend?
9.7

9.7

9.8
1 doctor
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Other
This [America Institute] is a very friendly and open clinic. From the moment you walk in there are pink velvet chairs, and a friendly front desk person. It doesn't feel like a cattle call which is how I felt at my last clinic. Not once have I been crying in the waiting room while being ignored. I get in quickly and they take time with me. My husband felt comfortable with both the doctors. They don't try to rush you through anything. They try to get to know and they won't push you for something if you don't want to do it. They listen and they advise. I truly appreciate their approach.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama.
This is a very friendly and open clinic. From the moment you walk in there are pink velvet chairs, and a friendly front desk person. It doesn't feel like a cattle call which is how I felt at my last clinic. Not once have I been crying in the waiting room while being ignored. I get in quickly and they take time with me. My husband felt comfortable with both the doctors. They don't try to rush you through anything. They try to get to know and they won't push you for something if you don't want to do it. They listen and they advise. I truly appreciate their approach.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cecil Long at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama?
My last clinic was completely like a factory. I didn't understand what it was like truly be a person to a doctor. Dr. Long first met with us and talked to us for over two hours. The next day he called and referred me an ART case (I'm an attorney). He gave both me and my husband his cell phone number. He remembers things I tell him. He reduced the price of surgery when the cost exceeded what insurance would pay. He spends time each and every appointment to talk to us. In fact, he says "I don't want to get people pregnant if I don't remember their names or faces."
Describe your experience with your nurse at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Trista)
There isn't a moment when you don't get a call back within an hour. You are able to reach a nurse at any point in time - even New Year's Eve.
How was your experience with Cecil Long at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama?
Dr. Long is a God send. He pushed me to have a surgery that my other doctor told me to ignore. During that surgery he found and removed a uterine septum (which could have been causing me to miscarry repeatedly), uterine fibroids, scar tissue and polyps. If I hadn't had that surgery, I would've spent 20k on IVF just to lose the baby IF I got pregnant. He talks to us each and every time we go to see him. He is honest. He gives us his personal phone number. He calls almost immediately if I need him. I have never met a more caring person/doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cecil Long at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama?
Go see him immediately. He is a caring and wonderful person. I wish I would've gone to him first. Also, bring a notebook. He explains a lot and it's good to have something with you to write it all down.
Describe the protocols Cecil Long used in your cycles at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama and their degree of success.
First was laparoscopy and a hysteroscopy. After that I took estradiol for 25 days to heal and for the last 15, I took progesterin as well. Then we started with letrozole and gonal-f with a trigger for an IUI. I ovulated too early. Then we did letrozole and a trigger. No pregnancy yet. We're looking to do the invocell in April.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cecil Long at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama.
He is cheaper than anyone else in Birmingham. He's not trying to make money just babies!!!
Describe Cecil Long's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama.
Dr. Long pushes for eSET because he doesn't want multiples. He worries they will put too much pressure on the body.
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Cecil Long at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Other
The staff [America Institute of Repro Med] at the clinic knows my name. They know what kind of work I do. They know my husbands name.... Strengths: friendly staff, now has lab services, easy to schedule, usually get a timely call back, not intrusive or inpatient, down to earth. Weaknesses: initially somewhat disorganized (clinic had just relocated), uncomfortable waiting room chairs, initially did not have lab services.... I typically see Jen. She is easy to talk to, always calls back
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Other
The staff at the clinic knows my name. They know what kind of work I do. They know my husbands name. Dr. Long is candid and frank but also warm and optimistic. They try to work around my work schedule. Dr. Long offers his personal cell phone number to answer questions (I’ve never called so I don’t know if he answers!) I usually feel better and motivated when I leave their office.
Describe your experience with your nurse at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
I typically see Jen. She is easy to talk to, always calls back. She has been through some infertility treatment herself which I find to be comforting.
I’ve only been working with Dr. Long since June. Both my husband and I think highly of him. He has a genuine personality that puts you at ease. This is hugely important to me since for most visits your pants are off and your feet are in stirrups... Dr. Long answers questions without making you feel needy or like you are taking up too much time. He is quite optimistic-sometimes I worry that he won’t be able to deliver what is said.
Ask all the questions you want.
I’ve had one oral medication cycle, one oral and injection cycle with timed intercourse and one oral/injection cycle with IUI. A trigger ahot was used with each of these cycles. I am currently in my TTW from my first IUI. Medication has been used because I do not always ovulate on my own and I respond well to the medications...increased chance of pregnancy. One month after starting treatment with Dr. Long, I had a laparoscopy as he suspected endometriosis. I had Stage II endo and a uterine polyp.
My insurance doesn’t have coverage for any medication. Procedures-surgery/ultrasounds/labs have been covered to an extent. The clinic does always explain cost. I’ve spent probably around $5500 so far but this includes everything.
Dr. Long does IVF with ICSI and INVOcell.
Birmingham

Strengths: Organized, timely, helpful, patient. Go in with open mind and you will be pleasantly surprised. Dr. Long and all of his staff [America Institute of Reproductive Medicine] are ready to help you and will always do so with a smile on their face.... So far, each of the nurses has been very kind and knowledgeable.... I would ask them to set up a meeting with him and allow yourself the opportunity to chat with him and see how wonderful of a doctor he is
Strengths: Organized, timely, helpful, patient. Go in with open mind and you will be pleasantly surprised. Dr. Long and all of his staff are ready to help you and will always do so with a smile on their face.
From day one, he was very personable and cared about our needs. He listened to our history and our concerns and was very empathetic, understanding, and positive about the future.
So far, each of the nurses has been very kind and knowledgeable.
Dr. Long has been wonderful and we are very excited we found him and look forward to having him help us along our infertility journey. He is very knowledgeable, understanding, and patient as we explain our past history and look to develop a future plan. He has identified issues upfront that will help us along the way and has been very thorough and positive so far. We are excited about the future.
I would ask them to set up a meeting with him and allow yourself the opportunity to chat with him and see how wonderful of a doctor he is and see if he has something that you both believe can help you succeed along your infertility journey.
I have just switched to Dr. Long. I had 3 IUI and IVF cycle prior to Dr. Long with another practice (and different doctor). So far with Dr. Long I have had initial consult, labs, ultra sound, and identified need for laparoscopy and he has successfully completed that surgery.
Too soon to tell, so far I have had one laparoscopy surgery and I had to meet my deductible first.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
From the office manager, to the receptionist and medical assistant Brittany and Brittany, the staff [at ART Fert] are all amazing!...The clinic is very small, and I think that's what I love the most about it! You feel like family. The staff all knows you by name when you walk in, and they know your family and all the details about your journey. Everyone is so kind and personable, every single one of the staff has at some point come and sat beside me and the waiting room and visited with me while waiting for the doctor.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
The clinic is very small, and I think that's what I love the most about it! You feel like family. The staff all knows you by name when you walk in, and they know your family and all the details about your journey. Everyone is so kind and personable, every single one of the staff has at some point come and sat beside me and the waiting room and visited with me while waiting for the doctor. And asked me how things were going, and encourage me and prayed for me and laughed with me and cried with me. The whole Clinic as a whole is outstanding!
Dr. Long is the nicest doctor I've ever met. He gave me his cell phone number, has called me and text me multiple times to check on me, and has told me to call or text him anytime I have any questions or need anything. He personally did all of my ultrasounds, and has been so kind and personable and honestly just amazing!! I would HIGHLY recommend him to anyone!
Describe your experience with your nurse at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Brittany )
From the office manager, to the receptionist and medical assistant Brittany and Brittany, the staff are all amazing!
Dr. Long is wonderful. Thorough, detailed, understanding, kind, compassionate... the list is lengthy. He tried so many things, and was so innovative and worked so hard to help us have a baby. And is still! He is the best doctor I've ever met and I have no doubt that he is and will do everything in his power to help us have a healthy baby and pregnancy!
Go to him! Honestly that is it. He is so wonderful!!
Homewood

We will be doing Invocell which is affordable IVF. Dr. Long and his NP Karen [at America Institute for Reproductive Med] are one of the few practices in the United Stares who offer Invocell and have had results that are compatible with that of traditional IVF.... The clinic is small which has been a blessing after being at a much larger clinic. I feel like a friend and not just another number. On the downside, there is only one lady who works at the front desk and she is often having to balance answering the phones and checking in patients by herself.
He is very personable. We sat in his office on our first visit and he truly wanted to get to know my husband and didn't jump directly into our issues.
They communicate well and efficiently. I have never had an issue in getting in contact with them
I really like Dr. Long. He is straight forward without being blunt or harsh. He felt that Invocell would be our best option for conception and was not rude about it. He explained the entire process and I left feeling empowered.
be open minded to your treatment options. He works in a smaller practice, but don't let that deter you, he is awesome
We will be doing Invocell which is affordable IVF. Dr. Long and his NP Karen are one of the few practices in the United Stares who offer Invocell and have had results that are compatible with that of traditional IVF.
Semen Analysis $95 Co-pay $40 Ultrasounds were covered by my insurance

3 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
Excellent communicators and compassionate care given to every patient. Every staff member [America Institute of Repro Med] is nice and courteous. I have not found any weaknesses at this time. I recommend this clinic in several Facebook fertility groups I’m in. ... Excellent communication [nursing staff] ... Dr. Long only recommends transfer of two embryos at a time
3 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
Excellent communicators and compassionate care given to every patient. Every staff member is nice and courteous. I have not found any weaknesses at this time. I recommend this clinic in several Facebook fertility groups I’m in.
Staff and physician are all very personable and easy to communicate with. The last doctor had so many patients i did not feel like my care was personalized. Dr. Long makes you feel like part of the family.
After almost 2 years at another clinic i switched to dr long to do invocell ivf. He strongly encouraged a laparoscopic surgery to explore my uterus after a prior diagnosis of bicornuate uterus. I agreed to the survey and dr. Long actually found a uterine septum that was able to be resected and stage 3 endo. I don’t feel ivf would have worked if he had not encouraged this surgery. I’m doing stims for ivf this month.
If you aren’t satisfied with your care find someone who has your best interest at heart.
Dr. Long included myself and my husband in my treatment plan
Dr. Long only recommends transfer of two embryos at a time
Cecil Long

When you walk in the office [of America Institute of Reproductive Medicine] is decorated beautifully! You definitely do not feel like your in a doctors office. The clinic really has no weaknesses in my opinion! They are easy to contact. Everyone is always smiling when you come in!...Dr Long and his nurse practitioner are amazing! They give you their personal contact number if you need anything. You see the Doctor every time you visit the office. The sincerely care about their patients.
When you walk in the office is decorated beautifully! You definitely do not feel like your in a doctors office. The clinic really has no weaknesses in my opinion! They are easy to contact. Everyone is always smiling when you come in!
Describe your experience with your nurse at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Karen Hammond)
Karen is the nurse practitioner that is over the INVOcell program! She is so amazing! I get a big hug every time we see her.
He is absolutely amazing. He is so down to earth and easy to talk to. He uses terms that are easy to understand. He is by far the best! I wish I would have found him earlier! He makes sure you completely understand everything that he covers with you.
Be honest with them. He is an amazing person and will go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable!
We are on our second Affordable IVF treatment. He uses low doses of medicine since my AMH is high. They do ICSI with everyone! Also I incubate my embryos!
His cost were very affordable! Under 5k
If you have two he will transfer two. Is quality or quantity!