Genetic counseling is not offered

1 Independence Plaza Suite 810
Homewood, AL 35209
205-315-6922

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
I felt like I was directing every step of my own treatment, which made me lose trust and faith in him [Dr. Long]...I paid nearly one thousand dollars to sit and listen to him talk about his family and never once look at my medical records. I have to demand the treatment I know that I need whenever I visit. And they do not answer medical questions through the patient portal. They expect you to pay hundreds of dollars for a tele-health call....
The billing office [America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama] has many issues. I paid for all of my appointments out-of-pocket at the time of the appointment, but they would continue to double charge or send me bills in the mail (failure to pay or late payment notices). I am on SS Disability and cannot afford these appointments, much less the anxiety from the billing issues...My lab results were misinterpreted. I've never felt educated or well-informed about anything from this clinic....
How was your experience with Cecil Long at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama?
He seems to want to put his patients through IVF without first running diagnostic labs to determine if they'd be a successful candidate. He pushed IVF at my first visit and refused to look at my medical records. At my second visit, I convinced his RN to look at them, and she saw that I had a probable uterine anomaly (which I did not know because my ob/gyn never mentioned it to me). Dr. Long performed an HSG on me and diagnosed a unicornuate uterus with a non-communicating horn, then performed surgery to remove the horn and tube one month later. No one called to check on me throughout my recovery. After my next loss, I returned and he wanted me to do another HSG, but that didn't make sense to me, as he had performed a second HSG during the surgery. He decided I should get baseline tests, but I decided that I should get a recurrent pregnancy loss blood panel. I felt like I was directing every step of my own treatment, which made me lose trust and faith in him. When the test results came back, I was told that I had a clotting disorder. After researching the disorder, I came to the conclusion that I did not have the clotting disorder they diagnosed me with. So I contacted them through the patient portal with information copied from another source and they agreed that I was correct and that they had read the test results incorrectly. He was barely present. And when he was, it was difficult to understand his logic behind his thoughts, as he never explained anything. He seems very cheery and hopeful, but doesn't seem to want to help you figure out the root cause of infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cecil Long at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama?
Educate yourself and self-advocate every step of the way!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cecil Long at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama?
I felt like a dollar symbol. I paid nearly one thousand dollars to sit and listen to him talk about his family and never once look at my medical records. I have to demand the treatment I know that I need whenever I visit. And they do not answer medical questions through the patient portal. They expect you to pay hundreds of dollars for a tele-health call. I am disabled from pelvic pain and cannot work, so I can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars to have the answer to a simple question (like why he prefers one medication over another).
Describe the protocols Cecil Long used in your cycles at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama and their degree of success.
At my very first visit, he prescribed progesterone without ever seeing my progesterone blood test results. I took one round of those and they didn't do anything. He performed an HSG (per my direction) and said that I had a unicornuate uterus (although, today, I'm not certain that I ever did because I've lost trust). He performed surgery to remove part of my uterus, my left fallopian tube, polyps, fibroids, and endometriosis. That is all that he has done, aside from routine post-miscarriage transvaginal ultrasounds.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama.
When I asked why the doctor prefers Heparin to Lovenox, the nurse said it wasn't her area of expertise and I'd need to pay for a telehealth appointment to ask doc that question. They also were not concerned with my well-being after my surgery.
Describe your experience with America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama.
The billing office has many issues. I paid for all of my appointments out-of-pocket at the time of the appointment, but they would continue to double charge or send me bills in the mail (failure to pay or late payment notices). I am on SS Disability and cannot afford these appointments, much less the anxiety from the billing issues. Jenn Hicks, the billing coordinator, was very friendly (maybe the only friendly person on staff), and was quick to try and resolve issues. They (the staff) have good days and bad days as far as kindness and attitude is concerned. Only once did I ever feel welcomed or cared for. Other visits felt hostile and cold.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cecil Long at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama.
I've gone over most of it in previous answers, but I will say that his rates are lower than other clinics. The initial consult was over $800. But nothing was gained from that consult.
What specific things went wrong at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama.
At my second visit, I was informed that I would begin clomid, I believe. I can't remember. I had to explain that I had previously asked Dr. Long to view my records, but he had not and that I didn't feel comfortable beginning any protocol without that happening. That's when I was moved into an office where an RN confirmed my suspicions were correct. My lab results were misinterpreted. I've never felt educated or well-informed about anything from this clinic.
Cecil Long

2021, Unsuccessful
At our consultation, Dr. Long was great introducing himself and meeting us; however, once our cycle started another doctor and a NP in the practice was on our cycle and neither of them asked who we were and acted like they had met us before when we never met. We had several instances that this occurred...After our embryo transfer failed, we set up a next steps consult where Dr. Long never came
The [America Institute of Reproductive Medicine - AL] clinics strengths would be the nurses there. They made you feel welcome and comfortable. The weaknesses would have to be Dr. Long I felt like he just didn't care about our overall outcome and it was like pulling teeth to get some of the front desk people to tell you what they needed from you. We had to keep asking them when did they need our final payment to complete our cycle and it took a couple visits until they finally gave us a response.
During our consultation, Dr. Long answered every question we had, talked us through the best course of action and overall we felt great about choosing him as our doctor until the cycle started. Once our cycle started we never saw him or spoke to him until the egg retrieval and embryo transfer. We had chose to do the invocell on day 4 i started to run fever i called the clinic they told me to monitor and take meds they prescribed that my body was trying to reject the device. The next day was my embryo transfer which they still did that day. The next day i felt very full, couldnt walk, still had a fever. I went in for a check up to make sure everything was okay i had developed OHSS. After our embryo transfer failed, we set up a next steps consult where Dr. Long never came and talked to us but instead sent another doctor who didn't really know what had been going on in our cycle and kept leaving the room to go to his office to find out answers to questions we had because she didn't know. She had informed us that she saw i had some adenomyosis and uterine fibroid. She had recommended we do a procedure before our next cycle to remove all of this. We were never made aware of the adenomyosis and what the outcome of getting it removed or not could be. The ultrasound tech had told us about the fibroids but after Dr. Long saw those he said they would be fine not to remove because they were right on the borderline. We walked away from the cycle we no pregnancy and feeling like they had just taken our money because we weren't made aware of important medical conditions that ultimately impacted the result of our cycle.
I would say to make sure you asked questions about every little thing you see on the monitors because they will not tell you.
Follistim AQ # 2 pen 900, 300 Menopur 75iu # 7 vials Progesterone in oil 50mg/ml; 3 vials Ganirellix 3 syringes 1 hch
The nurses were very comforting through the entire process. They helped me after my egg retrieval when I passed out and was amazing during that time.
The clinics strengths would be the nurses there. They made you feel welcome and comfortable. The weaknesses would have to be Dr. Long I felt like he just didn't care about our overall outcome and it was like pulling teeth to get some of the front desk people to tell you what they needed from you. We had to keep asking them when did they need our final payment to complete our cycle and it took a couple visits until they finally gave us a response.
First Cycle: $4,900 Medications: $1,825.05
Describe Cecil Long's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at America Institute of Reproductive Medicine – Alabama.
He didn't push us on how many we transfered he let us decide. We decided to go with 2.
We were unaware that I had a couple of medical conditions told about earlier in this survey until after our embryo transfer failed. We also were put into a room one time with another patients chart still in the room.
Cecil Long