Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Chandler (Closed)
2222 East Highland Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85016
8573 East Princess Drive
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health to a friend?
1 doctor
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
The nursing staff [at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health] was kind and friendly. No complaints there.... The front office woman is phenomenal. She is really compassionate and nice to speak to. The office is small and needs some updating /refurbishing.... I did three IUI's with Dr. Patel. The first round I took Clomid, had three follicles grow but my lining was thin. The next round I was switched to Femara, had two follicles grow, good lining but still negative result. The third IUI was canceled due to a cyst, so we tried again the next month and only had one follicle grow. Also a negative result.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ketan Patel at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Patel was always cold toward me. In fact, he was much warmer and made a lot more eye contact with my husband. Every time he came into a monitoring appointment or an actual IUI, he had forgotten when he last saw me and how many IUI's I had already done. He also forgot what information he had told me at the last appointment. He never stayed long enough to answer my questions and actually made a comment to me about the amount of questions I had the one time he listened to them.
The nursing staff was kind and friendly. No complaints there.
How was your experience with Ketan Patel at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Patel seemed to not care about me or the situation I was in. He was very cold when telling my husband and I that we had a less than 5% chance of ever conceiving naturally. He had absolutely no opinion or suggestions as to what vitamins and supplements I should be taking to increase my chances and improve egg quality. When he spoke to us, he talked to and made eye contact with my husband but rarely with me, even though the treatment was centered around me! He didn't seem to care about the results of each treatment. There was no way I would have stayed and done ivf with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ketan Patel at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
He is the typical cold, no bedside manner doctor. If you want a doctor that shows little compassion and just focuses on treating you, he's your guy. If you want anything more, go somewhere else.
Describe the protocols Ketan Patel used in your cycles at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ketan Patel at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
The IUI's totaled to about $1200 for each one.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
At the time the clinic [AZ Associates for Reproductive Health] was short staffed on nursing staff, so the nurses were quite busy juggling a lot of moving parts. This ultimately was a reason we decided to seek a second opinion and go with a different clinic. IVF is a very detailed and delicate process that requires a lot of attention and it made me nervous to think Im shelling out a ton of money to possibly fall through the cracks.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
At the time when we were with AARH we were told 3 IUI's and if no success we could move onto IVF. Well three unsuccessful IUI's we sat down to discuss our next steps, we were quoted a $30,000 price tag without medications. We were not surprised by this and willing to still pursue treatment with the clinic. However we were told we would need to wait an additional three months prior to starting a cycle due to staffing issues. I work as a nurse, I am very familiar with staffing issues, it seems a little crazy to give that much money and be told to wait even more after you've been waiting for so long, my patience was growing very thin. Im sure they probably have straightened everything out now considering this was roughly three years ago. Strengths definitely is Dr. Johnson's warm, compassionate bedside manner, this is a hard process to go through and to have someone be kind and understand what youre feeling is truly priceless.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Johnson at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Johnson was our first infertility doctor. He treated us like a human, was so patient, kind, and compassionate. He did what many people who try to understand infertility but fall short in, he validated everything we were feeling. He took his time explaining every detail with us, which was so important at the beginning of this difficult process.
At the time the clinic was short staffed on nursing staff, so the nurses were quite busy juggling a lot of moving parts. This ultimately was a reason we decided to seek a second opinion and go with a different clinic. IVF is a very detailed and delicate process that requires a lot of attention and it made me nervous to think Im shelling out a ton of money to possibly fall through the cracks.
What specific things went wrong at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
How was your experience with Mark Johnson at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Johnson was so kind and caring, I would cry at every appointment and he took the time to listen. His approach was positive and warm, he didn't provide any false hope to us when things looked grim. He was accommodating with our schedules for monitoring and the IUIs we did with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Johnson at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
He is very kind and compassionate, has a great bedside manner for such a difficult time.
Describe the protocols Mark Johnson used in your cycles at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
We did one HSG to ensure my tubes were open due to the fact I have mild endometriosis, three IUI's with Dr. Johnson, and one timed intercourse, because I responded well to clomid and had plenty of follicles being produced. And my husbands semen analysis had good numbers too post wash. However we never got pregnant via IUI's/TI with Dr. Johnson.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Johnson at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
Luckily all my IUI's were covered by my insurance all I had to pay for was meds think it was like $300 for Clomid and Ovidrel trigger.
Gilbert
The billing department [at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health] is a nightmare. It is extremely difficult to get a call back from them. I remember that they were understaffed and that much of the billing was falling to one individual who was well-intentioned but under-resourced... I was also still dealing with billing issues many months after leaving the clinic...There seems to be a lot of turn over in the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
This clinic cannot process paperwork! The billing department is a nightmare. It is extremely difficult to get a call back from them. I remember that they were understaffed and that much of the billing was falling to one individual who was well-intentioned but under-resourced. I did have to escalate my concerns to a clinic director at one point. I was also still dealing with billing issues many months after leaving the clinic. I did not receive a bill for our initial consultation until nearly one year after the consult occurred. (They told me this was my insurance company's fault, however I've never, ever seen any of my insurance companies take that long to process a claim, so I am doubtful that the insurance was completely to blame.) When you do call the billing department be prepared for very long hold times.
Dr. Johnson was very caring and took ample time to speak with us. He was our first experience with an infertility doctor and he was very kind and optimistic.
There seems to be a lot of turn over in the nursing staff. They weren't particularly memorable to me. I do remember some difficulty getting through to them on the phone.
What specific things went wrong at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Johnson is an excellent doctor. He is very warm and compassionate. However, I would be reluctant to refer friends to him for two reasons. 1) He neglected important blood work for me. He did not test my AMH level, which indicates ovarian reserve. I spent several months in his care never knowing that my ovarian reserve was low. I didn't find out until I moved states and switched doctors. 2) He seemed to understate our fertility diagnosis. On our first visit he told us "I see no reason why you won't walk out of here pregnant." Well, it's been two years of constant treatments, two different procedures for my husband, and we still aren't pregnant. I think if he's initial work-up had been more thorough we would have had a better understanding of our fertility situation.
Sometimes you may need to steer the conversation to the answers you need. I noticed that he dodges difficult questions with humor at times. For example I asked him why our IUI cycle had failed and he said "well it's dark in there and sperm can't see." This would have been a great opportunity to dig deeper into our sperm quality. He does seem willing to answer questions though, so I would simply recommend being very direct if you are looking for concrete answers.
We used clomid at half the standard starting dose for two of my cycles. (I believe it was 25 mg rather than 50mg, but I'm not certain) His rationale was that he wanted to be sure I didn't over stimulate, causing the cycle to be cancelled since he wouldn't perform the IUI if there were more than 2-3 mature follicles. The second round of clomid I only had 1 mature follicle and had cyst during my next baseline after that cycle failed. He switched me to femara and I had a better response and less side effects on that medication.
$500 for IUI procedure, $200-300 per ultrasound (two per cycle)
2005 - 2011
The doctors and nurses are top notch. And their embryologist is absolutely excellent. This makes a huge difference in a fertility clinic. I highly recommend AZARH to anyone needing assistance with fertility treatment...He [Dr. Patel] was fairly straight forward with me, because I was older my changes were less, but he was still hopeful and aggressive with his treatment. And he did things because of medical knowledge and experience. I was very pleased with his overall approach and his results.
2005 - 2011
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Patel was very open to my trying to conceive as a single woman. I felt he genuinely wanted me to have a child, but given that I was older was very clear about my changes. But he also kept me hopeful that I would achieve success. I loved that he took the time to explain everything to me clearly and made sure I understood what everything was for and what the results meant.
I genuinely got to know and admire Dr. Patel. He was extremely caring and very good at what he did. He adjusted his treatment in response to my body's reaction to previous cycles. He was very abreast of the latest in fertility treatments and actually the cycle I got pregnant he was trying a different approach because of things he had just read about in the medical journals. I do and have recommended Dr. Patel to friends.
Listen to him. He knows his stuff. He was fairly straight forward with me, because I was older my changes were less, but he was still hopeful and aggressive with his treatment. And he did things because of medical knowledge and experience. I was very pleased with his overall approach and his results.
Describe Ketan Patel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
I had failed to conceive several times, IUI and IVF, because I was older and was using donor sperm. My eggs appeared good, though, so he was willing to help me. I was very lucky when two of my embryos took.
Scottsdale
I enjoyed the clinic [AZ Associates for Reproductive Health-Scottsdale]. They were very organized, clean, and welcoming. I felt comfortable whenever I was there and trusted that they were handling everything correctly. I appreciated that they worked with an acupuncturist and allowed him to be present the day is the transfer.... The nurses were amazing and compassionate and made up for Dr. Patel’s missing emotion and compassion throughout the process. They really complemented each other.
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
I enjoyed the clinic. They were very organized, clean, and welcoming. I felt comfortable whenever I was there and trusted that they were handling everything correctly. I appreciated that they worked with an acupuncturist and allowed him to be present the day is the transfer.
Dr. Patel is a very busy man, because he is so good at what he does. He often was short and consise with what he was saying, but whenever i had further questions, he did take the time to answer them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Tabitha)
Dr. Patel is an incredible doctor. I trust him tremendously. At first I struggled with him because he is not very emotional, however once I realized how knowledgeable he was, that no longer mattered to me. We had several setbacks due to my bodies response to the medicines, and i appareciated his honesty and the way he led us thru that time.
If you need an emotional doctor, he may not be the right fit.
Dr. Patel prefers to transfer one embryo I believe.
Scottsdale
This clinic [AZ Assoc Repro Health] appears at first to give quality service, but on subsequent visits I heard the office staff making derisive comments about clients who were calling in, saying there being irrational or hysterical. This made me trust the clinic less...My nurse was a clear communicator and answered questions fully....This clinic just did not make our treatments a priority when it became clear we would need to work on getting funding at each stage.
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
This clinic appears at first to give quality service, but on subsequent visits I heard the office staff making derisive comments about clients who were calling in, saying there being irrational or hysterical. This made me trust the clinic less.
I felt like a human when this doctor called me personally. I did not like when they couldn't make time to schedule my procedures because they did not plan it correctly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Corinne)
My nurse was a clear communicator and answered questions fully.
What specific things went wrong at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
I felt that this doctor took a personal interest in my case, calling me personally and addressing issues. However this doctor did not display a sense of urgency or timeliness about my treatments, so I eventually left this clinic.
Ask for a clear timeline and follow up if they are not making timely progress on your insurance or treatments.
The treatment strategies used were appropriate but they did not take a proactive role in managing our care.
The costs of care were approx said to be $17k for IVF.
Scottsdale
I loved my nurses [at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health]! They were always warm and friendly, they made me feel like we were a team. We were all in it together. I miss seeing them, to be honest.... [They were] Usually on time, never had to wait too long Worked with you on payments... Dr. Patel and his staff were always personable and warm, I never felt like a number. I had to remind them of certain things, like my age and a few background details, but I expected that.
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
Usually on time, never had to wait too long Worked with you on payments
I loved my nurses! They were always warm and friendly, they made me feel like we were a team. We were all in it together. I miss seeing them, to be honest.
Dr. Patel is a wonderful doctor. He is straight forward, but not harsh. He is not a hand holder, but always made me feel comfortable. He is brilliant and I trust him implicitly. He had a game plan from our first meeting, which made me feel confident we were right to change doctors.
This is an extremely emotional time. Dr. Patel is not your shoulder to cry on. He is going to be straight forward and serious about your treatment. Trust him.
I can't remember anything out of the norm for an IVF cycle (I did Google the drugs I was ion and nothing came up as abnormal).
Scottsdale
Scheduling can be hard [at AZ Associates for Reproductive Health] , so it's best if you can be flexible about which location you go to. Mostly great. There was one woman who would answer phones who was very rude. But mostly his staff was great and even took calls on the weekends...I think the total cost for one IUI cycle was about $1100
Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
Scheduling can be hard, so it's best if you can be flexible about which location you go to.
Dr. Johnson spent a lot of time consulting with us and learning about our experience with infertility. He was very warm and personable. He was also easy to reach with questions along the way.
Dr. Johnson experienced infertility personally, so he gets it. He was thorough and compassionate, but also realistic. We felt informed and safe. We also liked that Dr. Johnson had us do genetic screening which was useful.
Be prepared to do the genetic screening- this is important to Dr. Johnson. He really wants a clear picture of your situation before proceeding.
We did a monitored cycle with femara, then a trigger shot for ovulation followed by IUI. We also discussed moving on to IVF next.
I think the total cost for one IUI cycle was about $1100
2012 - 2013
Dr. Patel knew who I was and saw me on each visit. He was not rushed and took his time with me...[The nursing staff] remembered me and my story.
2012 - 2013
They remembered me and my story.
He is an extraordinary physician. I trusted him entirely. I like that he was brutally honest with me that my chances of conceiving were small but also gave me enough hope to keep trying. He told me "I've seen miracles happen" - and my son was our miracle.
Ask questions if you don't understand. The medical terminology and his explanations were sometimes hard to follow, but I followed up with questions to my satisfaction.
Scottsdale
Dr Johnson saw me at every appointment (unless it was just blood work) and did all monitoring and procedures. He and his staff new me by name and were interested in getting to know me and my husband. I felt like they truly cared and were personally invested in my success.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Personal, compassionate. Excellent. Needs better understanding of bIlling issues but great overall....One big incident. Lab results weren't reviewed timely. When I went in for uterine resection surgery, I was informed that in addition to my septated uterus, I also had a balanced translocation, which changed the course of my treatment significantly. The surgery was canceled and rescheduled while I debated how to move forward.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Smaller, comfortable
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Amols at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
Personal, compassionate
Accessible.
What specific things went wrong at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
How was your experience with Mark Amols at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
Excellent. Needs better understanding of bIlling issues but great overall.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Amols at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
Check your insurance coverage
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Amols at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
Testing was covered. Any treatments were out of pocket.
Mark Amols
Chandler (Closed)
2012 - 2013
I don't really recall the nurses [at AZ Associates for Reproductive Health] except for drawing my blood or being present as a chaparone for US. Most of my interaction was with the doctor. I did not have any complaints about the nurses though.... We used clomid and then did 2 FSH injections after an ultrasound to help the follicles grow. We then went in for IUI, but the 1st time my ovulation fell on Thanksgiving and the office he was working at was closed, so we went the following day. I feel (after tracking my own ovulation for years) that we missed that ovulation. The following month, it was going to land on Christmas, so we did clomid and intercourse alone that month. The following month we did Clomid and 2 injections of Menopur, had the IUI on the correct day and got pregnant with our twin boys.
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
I did not go to New Direction. I went to the clinic Dr Amols worked at before he opened this clinic. I do know that he opened this clinic because the one he worked for was ALL about the money and he didn't agree with that.
He really cares about his patients, always remembered me and my husband, had conversations dressed and in his office instead of an exam room. he also shared personal experiences to help me relate and see him as a person as well (you can tell he was a nurse before he became a doctor).
I answered these questions positively, but I don't really recall the nurses except for drawing my blood or being present as a chaparone for US. Most of my interaction was with the doctor. I did not have any complaints about the nurses though.
Dr. Amols came up with a great plan according to what we could afford and what methods we did or did not want to use to treat our infertility. I knew wholeheartedly that he does what he does to help people get pregnant, not for the money. He is good at what he does medically, but still makes it a personal experience.
Share with him your thoughts and feelings. He really does listen to them.
Describe the protocols Mark Amols used in your cycles at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
I do not recall, but I do remember that he did what he could to help keep treatment affordable.
Describe Mark Amols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
No experience with this