Genetic counseling: Offered
is not offered
Selling medication: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
Birmingham
2006 Brookwood Med. Ctr. Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35209
Northport
650 Energy Ctr Blvd
Northport, AL 35473
800-476-9790
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend ART Fertility Program of Alabama to a friend?

3 doctors
2017 - 2019
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. Cecil Long] has been very compassionate in every aspect including giving me his personal number if I ever needed him or had any questions. He has ran tests, diagnosed me and fixed issues I had that past doctors were clueless about that caused much of my infertility problems. He has assured me that he is going to do what it takes for me to be a Mother...explained things in a way I understood them...I had surgery because i had a blockage in my left tube well once he got in there he realized my other tube
they [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] were very affordable a lot better than I expected. and they worked with me if i had to pay out of pocket...from the moment walked into Dr. Longs office i felt very calm. it is a very welcoming environment...They [nurses] always called me by my name and have always been very welcoming. before and after my surgery they never hesitated making sure I was comfortable and answered any questions I had.
2017 - 2019
Other, Prefer not to answer
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Cecil Long at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
I would say that as a patient he never made me feel like a patient but more like a close friend or as if I was a family member. when I would cry he made sure i had a tissue and a hug to follow to let me know we would get thru this. He has always been very through and explained things in a way I understood them. Back in February I had surgery because i had a blockage in my left tube well once he got in there he realized my other tube wasnt good either. so he went ahead and removed both of them. the first thing I remember coming out of surgery is asking what did he have to do someone said he had to remove both tubes I broke down, it was only a few minutes after that he was by my side explaining what he had done why he had done it and how much easier it was going to be for me to have a successful pregnancy. I know if he didnt truly care for his patients he would have been in there to explain his reasoning that quick.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cecil Long at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
If are having trouble becoming pregnant and your present doctor had no explanation why it may be a little further to drive and cost a little more but to know why and know that you will be treated as a human making an appointment with Cecil Long is worth every penny. He is one of the most amazing men I've ever met.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cecil Long at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
From day one Dr. Long has never made me feel like I was just a number. He has been very compassionate in every aspect including giving me his personal number if I ever needed him or had any questions. He has ran tests, diagnosed me and fixed issues I had that past doctors were clueless about that caused much of my infertility problems. He has assured me that he is going to do what it takes for me to be a Mother. I have complete faith and trust in him and know without a doubt that choosing him to be my doctor was the best decision I have made.
They always called me by my name and have always been very welcoming. before and after my surgery they never hesitated making sure I was comfortable and answered any questions I had.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
most of the time when you go into a doctor's office it feels like a doctor's office that always makes me uncomfortable well from the moment walked into Dr. Longs office i felt very calm. it is a very welcoming environment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cecil Long at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
they were very affordable a lot better than I expected. and they worked with me if i had to pay out of pocket.
Cecil Long
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Cecil Long at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. Allemand is very kind and listens to your concerns. While he is patient and seems like he cares, he doesn't tailor your care to your specific needs. He wanted me to pursue IVF after 2 IUI cycles (only on follistim and HCG) and one bad semen analysis after all the other SA's have been within normal limits. It concerned me that he was pushing IVF without doing ANY baseline bloodwork on my husband.
Very busy clinic [ART Fertility of Birmingham], but efficient. The longest I ever have waited was about 30 minutes. The front desk is amazing and very welcoming. The lab staff are top notch, they never miss a stick and they get it over with quickly:) It takes ALOT to get a nurse on the phone and normally takes a while for them to return your calls, but they answer all my questions when I do speak with them. Ultrasound techs and NPs perform ultrasounds and are very considerate and are sure to tell you exactly what they see. Communication is poor between the patient, NPs and my MD.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Christopher Allemand at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Allemand at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
Be an advocate for yourself! Do your research and prepare questions prior to your visit, and write them down as soon as you get your answers, that way you don't forget:)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Allemand at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
During visits (baselines, follicle ultrasounds) you do not see your MD and see a NP, which is ok, but you do not see the same NP each time. I felt like my treatment plan was not personalized for my specific needs.
Describe the protocols Christopher Allemand used in your cycles at ART Fertility Program of Alabama and their degree of success.
Letrozole and HCG cycles (3x, 1 IUI all with negative beta HCG) Letrozole, Follistim 75u (Resulted in me ovulating early) (x1) Follistim 150u, HCG and IUI (x1 negative beta HCG) Follistim 150u, HCG, IUI canceled due to low sperm count
I have never seen the seem nurse more than twice. Most of the nurses I encounter are nice and friendly, others seem to be "over it".
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Very busy clinic, but efficient. The longest I ever have waited was about 30 minutes. The front desk is amazing and very welcoming. The lab staff are top notch, they never miss a stick and they get it over with quickly:) It takes ALOT to get a nurse on the phone and normally takes a while for them to return your calls, but they answer all my questions when I do speak with them. Ultrasound techs and NPs perform ultrasounds and are very considerate and are sure to tell you exactly what they see. Communication is poor between the patient, NPs and my MD.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Allemand at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
IUI with semen prep $395 NP visit $45 MD visit $25 Letrozole $20 Follistim $200 HCG $130
Describe Christopher Allemand's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
What specific things went wrong at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
I was told by a RN to not start progesterone after my last trigger shot and my MD assumed I was on it. When I told him I was told to not start it, he made it seem like it was no big deal, regardless of the fact that my progesterone tends to trend on the low end.
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Christopher Allemand at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.

Endometriosis, PCOS
Any question he [Dr. Allemand] will answer honestly...I am 23 years old. He sat with my mom and I and explained everything that was going on. For once, someone actually understood and made me not feel crazy about the pain I was feeling. He went through options and was very caring through the entire process. I felt like he took me very seriously which I appreciated...He recommended IVF & surgery beforehand! I had my surgery April 12th. I meet with him again on the 25th to discuss beginning my IVF treatments! I’m only 23, And in my first 6 months of marriage IVF is a scary / expensive thought but he put me at ease that it was the best option for me to have a family even if we have to work more for it!
I just had an operation removing endometretomas / adhesions / etc [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama]...[nurses are] Very sweet. Very helpful. Answer any questions. Only complaint is you get a different nurse everytime and I feel like they never completely know you or your situation and having to re explain / Re ask same questions is frustrating...After blood work I had two nurses tell me two different things about blood work! Then I called another and she said everything was perfect. Not sure if it was a mix up or just misinterpretations or if I asked the questions wrong! Clinic Nps
Endometriosis, PCOS
I had a hard time filling this out. I have yet to start my treatments so sorry if my answers are wrong or confusing. I have had a major endometriosis surgery at age 20. I have stage 4 endo! I’m constantly in pain, no sex life, not much quality of life. I got married 2 years later and instantly met with him! The endo is back, I had present tumors on ultra sounds. He recommended IVF & surgery beforehand! I had my surgery April 12th. I meet with him again on the 25th to discuss beginning my IVF treatments! I’m only 23, And in my first 6 months of marriage IVF is a scary / expensive thought but he put me at ease that it was the best option for me to have a family even if we have to work more for it!
Ask questions! Any question he will answer honestly.
We haven’t started yet. I am meeting to begin the IVF process Thursday April 25th! I just had an operation removing endometretomas / adhesions / etc.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Ask questions! Write things down. Make sure to ask the doctor more important questions because there are so many nurses sometimes they will tell you different things! Sometimes you really have to pry informations / results out because they take a second getting back to you.
The IVF could range anywhere between 15-20 thousand for one try. I’m not sure how many times it will take given my ovarian reserve.
Birmingham

The 1st month [with Dr. Allemand] we used clomid with trigger shot, 2nd-5th months we added added follistim to the plan to help produce more mature eggs. Then next step is to add another shot (can’t remember the name) and then IVF...I loved that he didn’t make me feel like I was too old to be wanting to have a baby. He made my husband and I feel at home discussing such intimate things with him. He has a great bed side manner and really cares about you as a patient.
I absolutely ADORE all of them [staff at ART Fertility Program of Alabama]. As soon as I walk in the door I am greeted by the best scheduling coordinator Ashley!!! Then to see Mildred or Lynn for bloodwork!!! Off to ultrasound with Brandi that most women dread but she just chats with you and it’s over before you know it. Then to see the nurse practitioners Tracey or Chasity. They are always both great at explaining what the next step is and Chasity is alway there for a big hug when you need it. Especially since I’m a crier!!! I love the staff!!!
First of all I loved that he didn’t make me feel like I was too old to be wanting to have a baby. He made my husband and I feel at home discussing such intimate things with him. He has a great bed side manner and really cares about you as a patient.
Be patient!!! It might work the first month and then it might take a while!!! Keep your head up and stay positive.
I absolutely love his staff. They made my husband and I feel like family. They always make sure when they called with result of test that it’s ok to talk and make you feel comfortable with any questions you might have.
The 1st month we used clomid with trigger shot, 2nd-5th months we added added follistim to the plan to help produce more mature eggs. Then next step is to add another shot (can’t remember the name) and then IVF.
OMG!!! There are no words!!! I absolutely ADORE all of them. As soon as I walk in the door I am greeted by the best scheduling coordinator Ashley!!! Then to see Mildred or Lynn for bloodwork!!! Off to ultrasound with Brandi that most women dread but she just chats with you and it’s over before you know it. Then to see the nurse practitioners Tracey or Chasity. They are always both great at explaining what the next step is and Chasity is alway there for a big hug when you need it. Especially since I’m a crier!!! I love the staff!!!
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Strengths-they excel in everything. I couldn’t ask for a better office to go to. They make me feel at home and everyone is so friendly. They treat you like family!!! Weaknesses-NONE!!! Just make sure you take a notebook and write everything down where you can understand it. Keep it with you to write questions down for your next appointment. And don’t be afraid to ask!!!
IUI $395 IVF meds $5,000 then retrieval and all up to $15,000
Birmingham

We are doing IVF due to an inherited genetic disorder we do not want to pass to our children. Dr Honea listed to our story and supported us. She is very blunt and gives her honest opinion so if you can’t handle honesty she is not for you. For example, she is very honest about her opinion to not want to discard unused viable embryos.... Menopur/follistim, then monitored every other day until cetrotide was added. One embryos were 1.8cm HCG trigger shot 36hrs before retrieval. Her rationale was it was the same successful plan used my first cycle so why change.
They [the staff at ART Fertility Program of AL] are very efficient and all staff is wonderful. No one wastes your time which I appreciate. I’ve never waited longer than 15 minutes. Only negative is the clinic is older. It is however kept very clean.... Everyone on the staff has been so sweet and really makes you feel comfortable going through such an uncomfortable time. Even the lady who draws your blood is amazing. The ultrasound tech is such a sweetheart too! I love them all!
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
Give her all the details you expect out of your care. She has 30+ Years of experience so has seen it all and will know how to tailor your cycle.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
My first experience with another doctor I was 100% just a number and that was horrible. I wasn’t given an appointment and just had to wait in line. Dr Honea sat us in her office from day one and listened to our needs. I always have an appointment time and very little waiting to see someone. Follow up calls are always made frequently.
Describe the protocols Kathryn Honea used in your cycles at ART Fertility Program of Alabama and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Janet )
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
They are very efficient and all staff is wonderful. No one wastes your time which I appreciate. I’ve never waited longer than 15 minutes. Only negative is the clinic is older. It is however kept very clean.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
12,100 for IVF cycle. 2200 for FET
Describe Kathryn Honea's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
I respect her opinion for a single embryo transfer. A multiples pregnancy is higher risk so why try and achieve that first.
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
She [Dr. Kathryn Honea] also had to remove a large fibroid on my uterus that was causing me pain and maybe the cause of me not getting my periods... She would then start me on cycles of estrace, progesterone, and a round of metaformin because my blood glucose was extremely high and they thought that I might have PCOS...After about 2 years Dr. Honea came to the conclusion that I was pre-menapausal, and that I may not get my period again,but she continued wit the estrace and progesterone in order to build my lining for the donor eggs; because she said that would be our best option for having children.
The Birmingham nurses [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] are the main points of contact, and are in charge of the nursing line. I don't get to talk to the nurses in Huntsville unless I schedule an appointment. I think that her nursing staff are pretty nice, but I would like to be able to speak directly with the nursing staff at her Huntsville office since I deal with them more often than the Birmingham nursing staff. Both nursing staff are very helpful.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
My experience as a patient with Dr. Honea has been pretty good. I think that she is very knowledgeable and I respect that she is easy to talk to. I really respect her that she has gone through a similar process to conceive her children, and that she was very understanding when we had to re-start our the process because my dad passed unexpectedly prior to us being the donor egg transfer; which put a lot of stress on our family. She makes you feel like you are not crazy for your feelings, and that you are not broken but just have to find a different way to become a mom. She has been our doctor for more than three years, and we would recommend her to other people. She has a personality that makes you feel comfortable and at ease, and makes you feel like become parents. She makes me feel comfortable and at ease, and answers any questions that I might have. I really appreciate her honestly, and I really like the fact that she is spiritual as well. She has made my husband and I experience pretty good, and help answer our questions.
A piece of advice that I would give a patient coming to Dr. Honea would be to come with any questions that you may have. Don't be afraid to ask your questions, and don't think that any question you ask are weird or not right to ask. You want to make sure that you questions and concerns are addressed, and don't be afraid to ask again if you don't understand. Don't be afraid that your questions are stupid or that you may have asked them more than once.
I think I feel like a number sometime because I don't have a direct contact with her office. I have to call the nurses line, and then wait all day or even sometimes two days to hear from them. I think because her practice is so large that you feel like a number because there are some many patients. Also, with her main practice being in Birmingham; its hard a lot of the time to get in touch with her even though she has an office in Huntsville. Moreover, I am a patient at the Huntsville office. The staff at the Huntsville office are amazing, but I don't have direct contact with them if I have any questions, and everything is funneled through the Birmingham office, which makes it difficult. Sometimes, it feels like being a number because I don't have someone directly that I can call with questions. I think that if my care was designed specifically for me and they would stay in contact with me more, I wouldn't feel so much like a number.
When I first started with Dr. Honea, I believe some of the first strategies that she used involved trying to get my period started. She used clomid, and birth control pills to try and get my period started, but I wasn't able to get my period started. She also had to remove a large fibroid on my uterus that was causing me pain and maybe the cause of me not getting my periods. After the surgery, she still continued to try and start my period, and I did get my period at least twice, but then it stopped. She would then start me on cycles of estrace, progesterone, and a round of metaformin because my blood glucose was extremely high and they thought that I might have PCOS. Moreover, when I would go for a uterine lining check, it was not thick enough, and my levels were not were they needed to be, so they would start the process over again. I continued on the cycles for about 2 years, switching my medicine out from estrace and progesterone to metaformin. After about 2 years Dr. Honea came to the conclusion that I was pre-menapausal, and that I may not get my period again,but she continued wit the estrace and progesterone in order to build my lining for the donor eggs; because she said that would be our best option for having children. However, I had to stop my cycles when my dad passed away unexpectedly in 2016, and I wasn't able to really start again until January of 2017. When I started treatment again, she also tried a round of Lupron shots for about 2 months in to get my lining and numbers up to par in order to get ready for the frozen egg transfer. She stopped the lupron shots because I still didn't get a period, but my lining was adequate and she ordered a SIS, and HSG back in October of 2017 which came back normal, as she wanted to make sure that my body would be ready to receive the donor eggs. I have continued to be on the metaformin, estrace, and progestrone for now until do select a donor from MyEggBank.
I think that the Nursing staff at her Huntsville office are great. I don't have that much direct contact with the nursing staff at Dr. Honea main office in Birmingham. I think that her nursing staff in her Huntsville office are so nice and compassionate, and I really enjoy her staff there. The nurses at the Birmingham office I have only spoken to over the phone, and they seem pretty nice. The Birmingham nurses are the main points of contact, and are in charge of the nursing line. I don't get to talk to the nurses in Huntsville unless I schedule an appointment. I think that her nursing staff are pretty nice, but I would like to be able to speak directly with the nursing staff at her Huntsville office since I deal with them more often than the Birmingham nursing staff. Both nursing staff are very helpful.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
I would describe the ART of Program of Alabama strengths as follows:Knowledgeable and caring physicians and nurses; More than one location;Welcoming staff; Some weekend appointments offered;Lots of resources available regarding infertility; Answers your questions and helps you understand the processes involved with the ways you can become parents. Another strength would be the scheduling process. I would say that some of their weaknesses would be not being able to email the office with questions, not being able to speak with nurses at your designated clinic directly, and not having a specific nurse assigned to you.
My insurance did not pay for any of my expenses with Dr. Honea; however, my husband's insurance did pick up some of the cost. Moreover, I was still responsible for payments that our insurace didnt cover such as medications such as Lupron that cost $179.00. Exams that would cost between $200 to $250. I have come out of pocket for medications, office visits/exams SIS, HSG, and the our psychological consult that we did prior to registering with MyEggBank. In total we have spent roughly $6,500 out of pocket.
Dr. Honea will be doing a single embryo transfer which I am okay with since this is our first time doing it, and we wanted to make sure that if it didn't work on the first try, that we had another embryo to try.
What specific things went wrong at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
I sent in some paperwork regarding completing my medical information for a grant that my husband and I were applying for and they didn't return the forms back to us, so we had to re-request for them to complete them again.
Birmingham

We love Dr Honea. She has always treated me like a human being, not just another number. She is very experienced and compassionate. She has personally called us when problems have arose and when I found out I miscarried. She is straight forward and always tells us what our next step is... For IVF we decided to try the Shared Risk refund program where payment is due upfront and 3 IVF cycles are included. We paid $18,800 for 3 cycles, which doesn’t include the stim meds or monitoring office visits. The IVF cycles include egg retrieval and transfers and if ICSI is needed as well.
It [ART Fertility Program of AL] is a large clinic with multiple doctors so sometimes I have felt like just a number when traveling to the main Birmingham office. I understand they are busy, but I have encountered mistakes and miscommunication between myself and some of the staff members. It was pretty discouraging even with how much we love our doctor.
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
I have been lucky to *mostly* speak with the same nurse, Lauren. However, at such a large practice I have had to speak to other nurses. I️ always feel way more comfortable just speaking with the same nurse because it feels more personal. I have come across some nurses that are not very compassionate and it feels like they’re just scooting me along or I have asked a stupid question. I’ve often told my husband that just because the nurses deal with so many patients everyday and have probably become custom to all of the weird questions, they should still try to show more compassion, sometimes the bluntness is a little harsh.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
It is a large clinic with multiple doctors so sometimes I have felt like just a number when traveling to the main Birmingham office. I understand they are busy, but I have encountered mistakes and miscommunication between myself and some of the staff members. It was pretty discouraging even with how much we love our doctor.
We started with an IUI and I️ think the cost was around $300. But we did a sperm freeze as well so I believe that was another $300. I don’t exactly remember how much the medicine cost. For IVF we decided to try the Shared Risk refund program where payment is due upfront and 3 IVF cycles are included. We paid $18,800 for 3 cycles, which doesn’t include the stim meds or monitoring office visits. The IVF cycles include egg retrieval and transfers and if ICSI is needed as well. We have had two egg retrievals so that means two rounds of shots each time costing around $1,400. Normally I pay $35-75 per office visit when an ultrasound is needed, which is every week after a positive pregnancy test is confirmed.
Dr Honea has strong opinions on multiple births. I have gathered because of my age that she prefers to transfer just one embryo at a time. After this miscarriage we may move onto two embryos next transfer. But she is very weary of multiples and the risks of carrying multiples.
What specific things went wrong at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
During our first IUI with the clinic we waited for ever because there was miscommunication with the different nurses and what we were doing that day. We had to make a quick decision whether we wanted to use my husbands fresh sperm or a frozen sample he had given before. The nurse called us when we had left the office and wanted an answer right then (we only had about 3 tiny vials of sperm) and weren’t sure what we wanted to do. More sperm samples meant driving 2 extra hours. We made it decision and called the nurse back only to speak with a different nurse. When the nurse practitioner finally came in to perform the IUI, we asked where the frozen sperm was and she said she wasn’t told we were using frozen sperm. I was furious. So the sperm we needed to use was still frozen and we had to wait an additional hour and a half in this tiny room for it to thaw. I think just with speaking with multiple nurses that day none of the information/decisions were relayed properly between nurses.
Birmingham

1st time we met [with Dr. Virginia Houserman] it was just to discuss what was going to happen. 1st IUI was unmedicated just monitor and trigger shot. Negative. So we had to see the dr again she said I have PCOS without the cysts that I don't ovulate on my own so she recommends letrazol was it's less likely to make me crazy. So IUI #2 we monitor and add letrazol days 5-10 trigger shot in office I ovulate! Everything looks great this time they do an ultrasound to show I ovaulated and everything looked great but again negative. So they tell me we are going to do the same thing over so IUI #3 monitor letrazol days 5-10 trigger shot in office only this time no ultrasound. And once again a negative.
They [ART Fertility Program of AL- Birmingham] are very kind and compassionate made an uncomfortable situation as comfortable as possible. Negatives would be you see so many different nurses you get lost. Sometimes they are so busy they forget things always question should i be getting this done as I was told I wouldn't have to pee in a cup one time then after I peed I had to pee in a cup! I feel like they could do more to make sure it's as successful as it can be I feel like I'm dishing out all this money and sometimes I got ultrasounds sometimes I didn't.
Native American, Other
How was your experience with Virginia Houserman at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
She is always up front telling me you know you shouldn't be discouraged but then would say something optimistic behind it like I know your going to be a mother I just know it. Which was nice but also hard every time I got negative after.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Virginia Houserman at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
Ask any questions you have don't be afraid
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Virginia Houserman at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
They were always kind and took time to know me although I'm sure it's because I was there so much. Everyone was extremely kind and never made me feel out place. They made a very awkward situation not awkward at all.
Describe the protocols Virginia Houserman used in your cycles at ART Fertility Program of Alabama and their degree of success.
1st time we met it was just to discuss what was going to happen. 1st IUI was unmedicated just monitor and trigger shot. Negative. So we had to see the dr again she said I have PCOS without the cysts that I don't ovulate on my own so she recommends letrazol was it's less likely to make me crazy. So IUI #2 we monitor and add letrazol days 5-10 trigger shot in office I ovulate! Everything looks great this time they do an ultrasound to show I ovaulated and everything looked great but again negative. So they tell me we are going to do the same thing over so IUI #3 monitor letrazol days 5-10 trigger shot in office only this time no ultrasound. And once again a negative. So we go back to see the dr get told everything looks good on paper but because we use don't sperm we are ok to be more aggressive. So for IUI #4 we did letrazol days 3-7 then follistim shots till I my follicles were the right size then I triggered at home that night then went to the dr 36 hours later for Insemination . No ultrasound or anything this time and once again a negative!!! Now we are trying to raise money to try again.
Thy are very caring but not very informative
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
They are very kind and compassionate made an uncomfortable situation as comfortable as possible. Negatives would be you see so many different nurses you get lost. Sometimes they are so busy they forget things always question should i be getting this done as I was told I wouldn't have to pee in a cup one time then after I peed I had to pee in a cup! I feel like they could do more to make sure it's as successful as it can be I feel like I'm dishing out all this money and sometimes I got ultrasounds sometimes I didn't.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Virginia Houserman at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
For the 4 IUI we paid approximately $8000
What specific things went wrong at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
Went in for my 3rd IUI missing work for this and was called on my way out to tell me I could t proceed with my IUI until both my partner and I had our yearly done so had to miss work another day to have it done. When we get there they tell my partner they didn't need to run any tests on her. thankfully as we waited for my blood work they realized the mistake and did her physical as well. This same day I was told to empty my bladder before the exam I said "o don't have to pee In a cup" nope I was told. I ended up having to pee In a cup for the lab. They were supposed to call in my progesterone I ended up having to call them and remind them to do it.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
I felt that she [Dr. Houserman] was very open to answering our questions and addressing our concerns. She understood our frustrations and our emotions and gave us numerous options without making us feel overwhelmed. ... She also always did what was in our best interest, even if we felt like rushing things or taking things too slow. ... But if my ovaries were too large or I had cysts, she would make us wait a month.
I think their strengths is their team work and communication [ART Fertility]. They always worked together to keep the flow of the clinic going well. ... The nurses and nurse practitioner at the Montgomery office were great. They work very efficiently and always understood my time frame and respected that. ... Tracey Mendelson and the other nurses always answered all of my questions.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
My experience with her was great. She always told us all of our options and never encouraged us to give up. She also always did what was in our best interest, even if we felt like rushing things or taking things too slow. And she never discouraged us from getting second opinions or talking to other people. She was secure in her knowledge but also knew her limits.
To not necessarily expect a lot of warm and fuzzies. She is super nice and very smart and compassionate. But she is not a “touchy felt” type, which just happened to work for my husband and I.
I felt that she was very open to answering our questions and addressing our concerns. She understood our frustrations and our emotions and gave us numerous options without making us feel overwhelmed.
We went through 5 rounds of IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF over the past 3 and a half years. Dr. Houserman seemed to find a good balance between aggressive and safe. She knew that we did not want to half do things, so she allowed us to keep increasing medications and the protocols when she felt like it would help. But if my ovaries were too large or I had cysts, she would make us wait a month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mendelson)
The nurses and nurse practitioner at the Montgomery office were great. They work very efficiently and always understood my time frame and respected that. They were always friendly and ready to help, even when it was early in the morning. Tracey Mendelson and the other nurses always answered all of my questions.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
I think their strengths is their team work and communication. They always worked together to keep the flow of the clinic going well. They never made us wait that long in the waiting room and always did things to use their time wisely.
Everything was very expensive because our insurance did not cover any testing or procedures. I don’t think they were necessarily better or worse than any other clinic or doctor. The medications and the procedures are what cost the most.
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Virginia Houserman at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.

1 IVF, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
My wife and I had an issue with the billing department being respectful regarding our sexual orientation as a couple. Dr. Houserman made sure to address the issue with the individual in billing. Dr. Houserman apologized to us and said it wouldn’t happen again...She’s very matter of fact, but courteous. We had to ask specific questions about certain things that weren’t obvious, but she answered our questions/concerns without hestitation...
Tracey was/is great. So is the sweet little lady that takes care of the blood work [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama]. Anytime I called with questions or concerns, they would jump right on it... sometimes it may be confusing to have information at several clinics, but they would figure everything out...Monitoring appointments were scheduled to my liking...I’m 40, so multiple embryos being transferred was discussed...Strengths: Caring, Flexible, Informative Weakness: Sometimes unable to synthesize information from bith clinics. They do try though. Also check back after an appointment to make sure information was relayed accurately.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
She’s very matter of fact, but courteous. We had to ask specific questions about certain things that weren’t obvious, but she answered our questions/concerns without hestitation. Hopefully our first cycle will be successful.
She’s blunt, don’t take offense. Ask questions no matter what.
I don’t remember the overall strategy, but some of my meds included Ovasitol, Menapur, Follustim, and a trigger shot before retrieval. We retrieved 10 eggs, all 10 were mature and frozen. My wife is currently doing a “down-regulation” protocol with BCP, Lupron, Estrace, and Progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Tracey)
Tracey was/is great. So is the sweet little lady that takes care of the blood work. Anytime I called with questions or concerns, they would jump right on it... sometimes it may be confusing to have information at several clinics, but they would figure everything out.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled to my liking.
Around average. Meds and monitoring were covered by insurance with copay.
Describe Virginia Houserman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
I’m 40, so multiple embryos being transferred was discussed.

Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
She [Dr. Honea] always made sure we felt comfortable with the next steps and made sure we knew the risks that accompanied each treatment. She wanted me to gain weight so that I had a good chance of getting pregnant and was clear in her expectations of what we needed to do. She made sure my husband was on the best medication to help the Male factor issue and had him come back for more testing if she wasnt seeing results she wanted.
The clinic [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] is really clean and organized. The front staff are very kind and helpful. They are really quick to get you an appt as soon as possible and work with your schedule when possible. The techs are really kind and really good at drawing blood. They make sure you feel ok afterward and give Sprite and crackers when they see you need it. The nurses are knowledgable and are very prompt in orderjng your medication. They are also really supportive and encouraging when doing an iui procedure.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
Her strengths are that she is compassionate, accomplished in this field and a great communicator. She always made sure we felt comfortable with the next steps and made sure we knew the risks that accompanied each treatment. She wanted me to gain weight so that I had a good chance of getting pregnant and was clear in her expectations of what we needed to do. She made sure my husband was on the best medication to help the Male factor issue and had him come back for more testing if she wasnt seeing results she wanted. She never made us feel silly for wanting c hi children of our own and works her hardest to help us grow our family. I never felt she was too quick with surgery or anything else that seemed risky. She is very cautious with her words and actions. I tell people all the time how lucky we are to have a doctor we trust.
Be prepared to wait a little bit for an appointment. She is very busy.
She took time to explain everything to us. She really cares about her patients and wants to do what Is best for each individual couple
She had us do 3 subsequent Iuis with the assistance of letrozole and injectables. Our last iui will also use frozen semen in addition to fresh to give us the best chance this month. If this IUI fails, we move to IVF
They were very kind to us. They would let me lie down to give blood. They always call us back in a reasonable amount of time.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
The clinic is really clean and organized. The front staff are very kind and helpful. They are really quick to get you an appt as soon as possible and work with your schedule when possible. The techs are really kind and really good at drawing blood. They make sure you feel ok afterward and give Sprite and crackers when they see you need it. The nurses are knowledgable and are very prompt in orderjng your medication. They are also really supportive and encouraging when doing an iui procedure. They want their patients to feel loved and cared for. They wish for us to have a healthy pregnancy and are disappointed along with us when a treatment doesn't result in pregnancy. They dont have any weaknesses that i have seen. Very professional and kind.
My costs range from 500-1000 a month with medication. IVF is 10,000
She does eSET to eliminate a risky pregnancy. I found that impressive, she wants her patients to be healthy.
Birmingham

I personally havent noticed any weakness. She [Dr. Honea] was very attentive she listen to me. She made sure to elaborate and explain things to me. If i seemed confused she noticed it from my expressions. She knows of my financial difficulties so she sent me paperwork and information on a least expensive procedure when i received it in the mail it gave me more hope. She's very understanding. I wish i had of came to her first before my prior doctor
Only weakness in my eye site was im cold nature the clinuc [ART Fertility Program of AL] is very cold but i had to understand there are some hormonal women there. Now the clinic was very clean they had water coffee and little snacks in waiting area The waits to be seen where never long did not take hours at a time i really loved that everything flowed smoothly... They all was greetable very informative an on task they called or text me for appointment and what i would be looking forward to having done that visit
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
I personally havent noticed any weakness. She was very attentive she listen to me. She made sure to elaborate and explain things to me. If i seemed confused she noticed it from my expressions. She knows of my financial difficulties so she sent me paperwork and information on a least expensive procedure when i received it in the mail it gave me more hope. She's very understanding. I wish i had of came to her first before my prior doctor
If you want an understanding time taking option giving fertility doctor she is the go to never seems to be in a rush never just pushing one procedure at you she sits and explains them to you in ways that you will understand so please consult with her first.
She was very considerate she elobarated on things i didnt understand she gave me options and didnt just brush me off she didnt just treat me and never followed up
We had a consult first. She requested for my prior records first. She viewed them then i came back she discuss what ahe possibly seen and gave me "options" on what i could do but she first wanted to look at the tubes herself. We schedule for the procedure to look. We checked for possible causes endometriosis cysts and other things. Then we look to see if i was still producing enough eggs. Everything was on the up and up until the procedure to look of course the tubes where still blocked after having them reversed...yet disappointed again. Once again she gave options on other procedures but i am still paying for the reversal so i can't afford another loan that extensive for IVF or to attempt another tubal reversal. So then i received the paper/ flyer in the mail about invocell little less expensive but the company i have medical loan with they dont accept which os care credit and i cant get another loan from else where but i still have hope and she does also. So i recieved an email about a grant and i had to give this chance a try because i refuse to give up
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Only weakness in my eye site was im cold nature the clinuc is very cold but i had to understand there are some hormonal women there. Now the clinic was very clean they had water coffee and little snacks in waiting area The waits to be seen where never long did not take hours at a time i really loved that everything flowed smoothly
Some labs and procedures were covered under my insurance others i had to pay out of pocket
No she just informed me that they will take several eggs and i can emplant up to 2 or 3 i think she said and informed me of the cost to keep them or to donate them still leaving it as my choice

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Plan to be an active part of your fertility journey [with Dr. Christopher Allemand]...he started on letrozole to try to get me to ovulate. We had to increase the dose twice to get my body to ovulate. Once we got that problem solved and didn't get pregnant he decided to do a seen analysis on my husband. So that he covered all bases. Then we found out his sperm count was low, so we decided to do IUI woth donor sperm samples. We did that 2x with no explanation as to why it didn't work. According to my lab values and ultrasounds, it should have worked. So at this point my husband and i decided to take a break. When we start back we will do an IUI with donor sperm adding hormone shots to the routine.
Strengths [at ART Fertility of Alabama] : Usually got called back within a reasonable amount of time, very friendly staff, answered all questions, worked appointments into my schedule the best they could. Nurses knowledgeable. No weaknesses...[nurses were] Very friendly, answered all questions, made sure they didn't expect me to not have questions even though I am a nurse myself...Donor Semen sample $1000 IUI $350 Appts $35 Lab/us $80+
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Allemand had a great bedside manner. Talking to him was very easy. He individualized our plan according to our results. He also let us choose the path we wanted to take and did not pressure us to jump to IVF.
Plan to be an active part of your fertility journey
I felt like he individualized our plan of action and didn't just try the same plan on each person
I had already tried Clomid with my primary OB/GYN. So he started on letrozole to try to get me to ovulate. We had to increase the dose twice to get my body to ovulate. Once we got that problem solved and didn't get pregnant he decided to do a seen analysis on my husband. So that he covered all bases. Then we found out his sperm count was low, so we decided to do IUI woth donor sperm samples. We did that 2x with no explanation as to why it didn't work. According to my lab values and ultrasounds, it should have worked. So at this point my husband and i decided to take a break. When we start back we will do an IUI with donor sperm adding hormone shots to the routine.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Strengths: Usually got called back within a reasonable amount of time, very friendly staff, answered all questions, worked appointments into my schedule the best they could. Nurses knowledgeable. No weaknesses
Donor Semen sample $1000 IUI $350 Appts $35 Lab/us $80+
We did not do this
What specific things went wrong at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
Could have been a pharmacy issue, could have been forgotten to be called in. Only happened once
2 IUI, IVF
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr.Allemand is easy to talk too and never rushes you through your appointment or questions.... When I first started seeing him it was after I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. So, after speaking to him we took a slow approach as my husband and myself were hoping to avoid the “big stuff”. He put me on a sister drug of clomid and we tried a natural cycle for the first two times, it all kind of runs together.
They are kind and put up with me asking a ton of questions. When I was in the office [ART Fertility Program of Alabama] today one knew I was there and she came and knocked on the door and gave me a hug because she hadn’t seen me in a while. I thought that was so sweet! They are all very nice and thorough.... Strength - they always return your call. Always nice and pleasant. Weaknesses - the office is very outdated and the girls in the lab aren’t the best I’ve had. They are super nice but when they draw blood it hurts more often than not.
2 IUI, IVF
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He’s been great and it’s been a relief to me. I was nervous about having a male doctor as all of my other doctors are female. But, he’s been very nice and easy to talk to and takes his time with us which we appreciate.
He’s does run a little behind but just be patient because he will give you the same care and opportunity as he’s given the other patients seeing him. We have Beverly felt rushed when speaking with him.
Dr.Allemand is easy to talk too and never rushes you through your appointment or questions. I was hesitant to have a male fertility doctor as all of my other doctors are female, but he’s very nice and my husband and I both really like him.
When I first started seeing him it was after I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. So, after speaking to him we took a slow approach as my husband and myself were hoping to avoid the “big stuff”. He put me on a sister drug of clomid and we tried a natural cycle for the first two times, it all kind of runs together. I’m pretty sure we did this twice. Then when it didn’t work we started with Follistem and still nothing. So, that brought us to IUI. I was on follistem and a clomid type drug with zero results. My husband and I took a much needed break and we picked up again. We did IUI for the second time with only follistem and it did not work. We tried for our third IUI with a higher dose of Follistem but my body reacted too well to the drugs that cycle so he had to cancel it. Now, after taking a break we are back and proceeding with IVF.
They are kind and put up with me asking a ton of questions. When I was in the office today one knew I was there and she came and knocked on the door and gave me a hug because she hadn’t seen me in a while. I thought that was so sweet! They are all very nice and thorough.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
It’s a fertility clinic so it’s going to cost money and more than likely be expensive. Our insurance covers some stuff so our out of pocket isn’t high. But, with IVF it will be much higher.
Birmingham

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Both of us have infertility issues. Dr. Allemand wanted to start with me first since I was not ovulating. After we removed fibroid rumors found during HSG and stimulating me with a moderate dose of Clomid, he was able to make me ovulate 2 to 3 mature eggs each cycle. He recommended IUI due to male factor infertility to increase our possibility of pregnancy. He also did multiple things to increase my husbands sperm count.
Friendly and Knowledgeable staff [ART Fertility Program of AL]. very Thorough. Easy to work with during scheduling conflicts. Helped to continue billin insurance when claims were not paid appropriately, rather than make it the patients problem. Extremely busy, be prepared to wait.... [nurses] Well educated. Thorough. Kind and compassionate.... IUiS were very affordable compared to previous fertility specialists.
Very thorough in descriptions of treatments and diagnostics. Always willing to readjust plan based on diagnostics. Completely honest with us even when we may not have liked the answer. Willing to think outside the box when presented with many what if situations.
Be prepared to be blown away by his level of professionalism and knowledge base.
As a fellow doctor, he was able to answer all questions that’s i had which have been more in depth than others would consider. He never minded when I asked to explain why.
Well educated. Thorough. Kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Friendly and Knowledgeable staff. very Thorough. Easy to work with during scheduling conflicts. Helped to continue billin insurance when claims were not paid appropriately, rather than make it the patients problem. Extremely busy, be prepared to wait.
Office visits were covered under our insurance except for co-pay. hSG and SIS were billed as outpatient services. Significant deductible were owed to the hospital for surgery. IUiS were very affordable compared to previous fertility specialists.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
We started with monitoring a natural cycle [with Dr. Allemand]. Then, we moved to Letrozole cycles and Letrozole/FSH cycles with IUIs. After a pregnancy was not achieved, we did IVF and transferred a single embryo with a live birth...takes so much time to explain exactly what is he is testing for and what the options are. He allows you to be as aggressive or reserved as you feel comfortable with. He is very empathetic and he and his staff go above and beyond for their patients.
ART is fantastic. They always get you in whenever you need to be seen. The NPs do a great job in clinic seeing patients and helping with coordinating care. The nurses are in constant communication with patients about their results and what the next steps in care are. The ladies in the office are always friendly and smiling...All communication went the the IVF team [of nurses]. They were very available if questions or concerns came up (even after hours). They were very knowledgeable and helpful. They also were very empathetic and explained what each step was and what needed to happen next with meds, ultrasounds etc.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Allemand is an excellent communicator. He does a great job explaining the medical aspects of the treatments and medications. He is extremely compassionate and understands what his patients are going through on an emotional and physical level.
Make the appointment! This was one of the hardest parts. Also, verbalize what your reservations and expectations are to him and the staff
Dr. Allemand takes so much time to explain exactly what is he is testing for and what the options are. He allows you to be as aggressive or reserved as you feel comfortable with. He is very empathetic and he and his staff go above and beyond for their patients.
We started with monitoring a natural cycle. Then, we moved to Letrozole cycles and Letrozole/FSH cycles with IUIs. After a pregnancy was not achieved, we did IVF and transferred a single embryo with a live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Janet/Rene)
All communication went the the IVF team. They were very available if questions or concerns came up (even after hours). They were very knowledgeable and helpful. They also were very empathetic and explained what each step was and what needed to happen next with meds, ultrasounds etc.
I cannot remember specifics
He follows the current guidelines and we were in agreement the eSET was best for us.
Birmingham

[Dr. Christopher Allemand] was not compassionate about our failed ivf. I felt more like a number & they only wanted our money. No other options where giving about next steps etc when we received the call that none of our eggs made it...I was put on a basic ivf protocol...I did speak with him regarding transferring two embryos he did not like the idea We didn't get that far into our IVF since sadly none of our embryos made it to transfer...
The nursing staff [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] was okay.If I had questions I had to call a number and leave a voicemail and wait for them to call back at the end of the day...I had blood work go missing and had to redo the same blood work more then twice...I had to go in for monitoring appointments when they scheduled them...Strengths- None, Unfortunately I do not have a comment for any strengths. Weaknesses- Show more compassion,Make your patients feel like a human not a number, Better communication, Be more organized.
Dr.Allemand was not compassionate about our failed ivf. I felt more like a number & they only wanted our money. No other options where giving about next steps etc when we received the call that none of our eggs made it. There was no rhyme or reason Infertility is so sensitive and people that work in the field should show huge compassion twords the ppl they are "helping" I felt no compassion from Dr. Allemand When in passing threw the drs office he would just nod his head as if he was saying hello and wouldn't stop and speak to even ask how things where going.
Do your research on the clinic. Be your own advocate! Everyone is different and has different expectations for things This is not the clinic for me I wouldn't consider being a patient here again
When working with this Dr office they knew we where traveling 4 hours to the office and back home each time we came. We wouldn't be told that we needed to come back the following day until we got back home. It took forever for me to get a hold of anyone if I ever had any questions. I also wasn't taught how to give my shots.
I was put on a basic ivf protocol When I received my meds I did not no how to administrate them After speaking to other infertile women that have went threw the ivf process they stated that their drs office did a class with them on home to prepare the shots etc None of that was done for us I felt like we where on our own threw everything.
The nursing staff was okay.If I had questions I had to call a number and leave a voicemail and wait for them to call back at the end of the day. Not very convenient when you are spending thousands of dollars you should be able to get top of the line care and be able to speak to someone whenever they are needed.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
I had to go in for monitoring appointments when they scheduled them.
What specific things went wrong at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
I had blood work go missing and had to redo the same blood work more then twice. I was not told multiple times that I would need to come back to the clinic the following day they where aware that we lived four hours away so all in all it was a 8hr round trip ( Huge inconvenience )

1 IVF, Donor Eggs
I only saw Dr. Honea twice throughout my entire IVF cycle.... When I asked a question about an upcoming appointment, trying to verify that I wasn’t messing anything up, she stopped me mid question and dorected me to ask the IVF coordinator.... When I first met Dr. Honea I fell in love with her personality.... By the end of the IVF cycle, I felt worthless and irrelevant.... With the lack of communication to the failure to discuss lab results which would have greatly effected the results of the IVF cycle.
They [ART Fert of AL] seem to be a popular clinic. The waiting room was always packed. HGTV was always playing in tv. Coffee was available in the waiting room even though majority of us had been told not to drink caffeine.... If you had question you had to call and leave a voicemail. There was always someone new returning your call, and you never knew when they were going to call you back. If you left a message before 2:00, it would be returned that day. Any messages left after 2:00 wouldn’t be returned until the next day.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
When I first met Dr. Honea I fell in love with her personality. She was relaxed and funny. I left my consultation with assurance that she could provide the best treatment for my husband and me. We chose to use her over another doctor. By the end of the IVF cycle, I felt worthless and irrelevant. Reflecting on everything after the fact is when I realized how little my family meant to her. With the lack of communication to the failure to discuss lab results which would have greatly effected the results of the IVF cycle. I know that there are no guarantees and that IVF is a prayerful plee for positive results, but Dr. Honea took our ability to choose how we went forward. After consulting with a different doctor, we realized that I had a low AMH which would have been the reason I had a low number of eggs retrieved. Dr. Honea only said my labs were good. At the time, I believed her. Now, I wish she would have talked to me about my labs and my options.
Make your own decision, but I would steer clear of ART Fertility.
I only saw Dr. Honea twice throughout my entire IVF cycle. I met her at our consultation and again at my embryo transfer. I spoke on the phone with her twice. The first time when she called to discuss my husband’s genetic screening. When I asked a question about an upcoming appointment, trying to verify that I wasn’t messing anything up, she stopped me mid question and dorected me to ask the IVF coordinator. The second phone call was when she called to tell me that my pregnancy was nonviable and i had to either stop my Progesterone shots and have a natural miscarriage or continue the shots and schedule a D&C. The third phone call never happened. We were scheduled for a phone conference at 8:30 in the morning. She called at 9:00. I was unavailable. She rescheduled the phone conference for 2:30. Her secretary called to reschedule it for 3:30. No one ever called back. No one. Not Dr. Honea, not the secretary, no one from the clinic called me back.
I was prescribed Gonal-F, Menopur, and Cetrotide for 10-12 days. I took Pregnyl (HCG) before the retrieval and Progesterone in Oil after. The Centrotide was added after my first scan after my baseline, around Day 3 or 5 perhaps. It caused a small reaction at the injection site that lasted for about 30 minutes, not painful. The Progesterone in Oil started causing hard knots in my muscle and itching on the skin after a couple of days. The nurse suggested warming the medicine a little before injecting. It helped a little.
I met a new nurse with every visit. They seemed to smile and nod and go about their day to day routine. I had one nurse call me and tell me that my schedule was wrong and I was going to have to wait. After I got upset someone called and apologized for her miscommunication. There was one or two nurses that I spoke to several times and actually learned their names. They were great. Hailey and Lauren. Everyone else is a blur.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
They seem to be a popular clinic. The waiting room was always packed. HGTV was always playing in tv. Coffee was available in the waiting room even though majority of us had been told not to drink caffeine. I always found that ironic. The wait time was never more than 30 minutes. They were very quick to get you in and seen. They have a large staff so there was never a friendly face to greet you at the door. If you had question you had to call and leave a voicemail. There was always someone new returning your call, and you never knew when they were going to call you back. If you left a message before 2:00, it would be returned that day. Any messages left after 2:00 wouldn’t be returned until the next day. I never felt like I knew what was going on even after asking the same questions every time.
We had to pay a little over $13,000 for the egg and sperm retrieval, fertilization, and the embryo transfer. Other labs and monitoring fees cost a few thousand.
I only had 1 embryo available for transfer. Out of the 6 eggs retrieved, 5 matured, 4 fertilized. 3 embryos fragmented which left us with 1 embryo available to transfer. Besides only having 1 available embryo, nothing was ever mentioned about an eSET.
What specific things went wrong at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
Communication is not important to this clinic. After I requested my husband’s and my own records to be sent to our new doctor, I had to go back and call them because they didn’t send everything. They left out mainly things that dealt with my husband. His infectious disease screening and his results from when they retrieved sperm. I had one nurse telling me my next step was to have one test runner and another telling me I wouldn’t be ready to continue until something (I honestly don’t remember what she said) had been done.

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Houserman does not beat around the bush, which I greatly appreciated. If you want someone to be direct with you, but also kind and empathetic then she will be a perfect choice. Sometimes I feel she got our hopes up a little too soon, but that also could have been our own interpretation of her information. She was always professional and gave us the good, bad, and the ugly so we could make an educated decision. I never felt that she forced us into a plan that we did not like and she always answered all of our questions.
Tracey Mendelson [a nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] (of the Montgomery office) and her entire staff became family. I cannot recommend them enough!!... I took the same dose of Letrozole and then did three consecutive days of 75 IU of Follistim. The second cycle was successful and we became pregnant. Unfortunately, after 7 weeks we miscarried. They had to perform a D&C to test the tissue for what may have cause this. The pregnancy was perfectly normal. They did a full thrombosis work up and discovered that I have a blood clotting disorder
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Ask questions. Sometimes I wouldn't have received as much information as I needed in order to make a decision or process, but I always felt comfortable asking questions and she always gladly answered them without hesitation.
The staff have always been eager to answer all of our questions around the clock. They took our concerns seriously.
In the beginning my infertility was unexplained and we had already had one miscarriage after getting pregnant using Clomid and under the care of my regular Gyno. They began with two cycles of Letrozole (5 mg per day), but they were unsuccessful. They then moved to letrozole and follistim injections. I took the same dose of Letrozole and then did three consecutive days of 75 IU of Follistim. The second cycle was successful and we became pregnant. Unfortunately, after 7 weeks we miscarried. They had to perform a D&C to test the tissue for what may have cause this. The pregnancy was perfectly normal. They did a full thrombosis work up and discovered that I have a blood clotting disorder. After I recovered from the miscarriage and surgery we continued with the same treatment, but were unsuccessful after two months of the letrozole/folllistim combo. We then moved to straight injections for 2 months and I took 75 IU every day for 6 days. We were unsuccessful in this method as well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mendelson )
Tracey Mendelson (of the Montgomery office) and her entire staff became family. I cannot recommend them enough!!
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
The clinic is always clean and organized. The building is a little difficult to navigate but not too much of a problem.
My insurance covered most of my appointments and procedures. I never felt that there were unnecessary or extreme charges.
We have not had any discussions about either of these because we have not reached this point in our plan.
Birmingham

Dr. Houserman was kind and direct... She was very educated on *studies* and statistics which I found helpful. She laid out options and I told her what I wasn't comfortable with and we moved forward. Overall, I was so pleased and will continue to see her as my doctor...In our first meeting she made connections with my story. She repeated back parts of my medical history. She made sure that she had all the details correct. She did it tell me what to do, she asked what I thought.
This clinic is efficient and well run. The staff is sincere and act like they really want to be there. The staff is willing to answer your questions and work with you. Their answering service is very efficient. They are truly there for you in the most chaotic time of some of our lives...I cannot say enough kind things about the nursing staff. Everyone I have come in contact with has been kind, helpful and loving...
Dr. Houserman was kind and direct. I normally do not like to see women doctors, but I was pleasantly pleased with our initial meeting. She was very educated on *studies* and statistics which I found helpful. She laid out options and I told her what I wasn't comfortable with and we moved forward. Overall, I was so pleased and will continue to see her as my doctor.
I would know where you draw the line in fertility treatments. How far down the fertility treatment path do you want to go? You need to know what you are and aren't comfortable with.
This is my first cycle with Dr. Houserman so I do not know if I am pregnant. This cycle i had to have an HSG test performed. I also used follistim {8 days of 75 UI}, ovidrel trigger shot, and IUI. Progesterone was also prescribed to take after my IUI. She actually wanted to go straight to IVF considering the amount of years we have been without conceiving but we took a step back. I am satisfied and happy with our protocol and steps we've taken this cycle.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
My blood work/ultrasound visits were about $30. My IUI was was $395. The meds were about $125 total.

PCOS, Other
She [Dr. Virgina Houserman] took the time to cover everything to expect with us. We only met with her twice because our first cycle with this clinic was successful. She does have a dry personality but at the same time was very caring when I needed it.... Took the time to sit down with us and answer any and all questions we had at our first appointment. Was very honest on what she thought needed to be done on our part for our treatment to be successful. Was willing to do what we were most comfortable with.
The nursing staff [at ART Fertility Program of AL-Birmingham] was very kind and attentive. I went to the satellite office in Tuscaloosa often. Beth (the NP there) can be a hard read at times, but I feel like she gets much friendlier when she gets to know you. I did have new hires draw my blood a few times and you could tell they were new to the procedure, but still very very kind people. (Everyone has to learn at some point!)
PCOS, Other
She took the time to cover everything to expect with us. We only met with her twice because our first cycle with this clinic was successful. She does have a dry personality but at the same time was very caring when I needed it.
Go in ready to ask questions and be honest on what you want for treatment.
Treatment was monitored medicated cycles with a trigger shot and possible IUI. She did a PCT to determine if IUI would be needed. IUI was recommended for us, but we elected not to on our first cycle. We took letorozle instead of clomid because I had serevel failed clomid cycles with my previous doctor. I had irregular cycles due to PCOS (she discovered my PCOS) so that was why we did monitored cycles. The plan was to get more aggressive with treatment each cycle but our first cycle with Dr. Houserman was successful.
The nursing staff was very kind and attentive. I went to the satellite office in Tuscaloosa often. Beth (the NP there) can be a hard read at times, but I feel like she gets much friendlier when she gets to know you. I did have new hires draw my blood a few times and you could tell they were new to the procedure, but still very very kind people. (Everyone has to learn at some point!)
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Very kind staff. Very thorough in their testing, found issues that my last doctor did not. Great system in place for scheduling, messages, etc. Satellite offices were convenient for me being from Tuscaloosa.
Someone went over what our insurance would and would not cover at our first appointment. We knew exactly what the cost would be for us, and it was much more affordable than we expected. They have their out of pocket prices listed on their website as well.

IUI, IVF
Anovulation, Male Factor
She [Dr. Virginia Houserman] was always kind, caring and compassionate. I never felt rushed while in her office. I think her own experiences with Infertility give her a different perspective than other doctors...When I met Dr.Houserman, I had previously seen a different specialist. To be honest, I was a mess. She had reviewed all of my records before my first visit! She knew about our previous treatment and failures. We discussed my options. It was so refreshing to have someone actually explain the options available in so much detail. She told us IVF was our best option due to previously failed inseminations and my husband's sperm issues. I really didn't want to do IVF but once I understood why it was the best option, I agreed. I sure am glad that I did!!!! We have a beautiful baby boy and we are so grateful to this wonderful doctor and her staff!
The nurses and nurse practitioners [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] are all wonderful. They are very knowledgeable. They have a large staff and I did see several different nurses but they were all very helpful and knew what they were doing. They are so friendly and compassionate. I can't imagine going through this process without their support.... I dealt with every department at some point and they were always very helpful...The IVF procedure was about $11,000.00. The medications were going to be about$5000.00 but the billing person gave me a packet of information where I could apply for assistance with my medication. It saved us about$1500.00.
IUI, IVF
Anovulation, Male Factor
Make an appointment and go see her!!
She was always kind, caring and compassionate. I never felt rushed while in her office. I think her own experiences with Infertility give her a different perspective than other doctors.
Our plan was to do IVF with ICSI. We did discuss that I might have to do a frozen transfer if my blood levels began to rise.
The nurses and nurse practitioners are all wonderful. They are very knowledgeable. They have a large staff and I did see several different nurses but they were all very helpful and knew what they were doing. They are so friendly and compassionate. I can't imagine going through this process without their support.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
The entire staff is wonderful. Everyone is so friendly and kind. I have read some of the reviews that mention that the office and staff are very large, but I can't imagine how they would accomplish all this with a smaller staff and office. I dealt with every department at some point and they were always very helpful.
We trusted her judgement and experience when it came to deciding to just transfer one embryo.
Birmingham

He [Dr. Long] first made it clear that we would go at the speed I wanted to go and whatever I didn't want to do we wouldn't. We started off with routine labwork and ultrasound. I was someone who didn't respond well to clomid so he put me on Letrazole 5 mg....Dr. Long was so compassionate when I suffered my miscarriage....Everyone in his office and himself included made me feel completely comfortable, easing my anxious mind and making me feel incredibly hopeful!
Everything there runs like a well oiled machine. From the front desk, to the lab, to the nurses and doctors. I've never had a long wait, they were prompt on calling you back.... His office [ART Fert of AL] makes you feel like you're a part of one big family and they along with you want you to succeed in becoming a parent and will do everything in their power to make it happen...They made me feel so comfortable immediately!
How was your experience with Cecil Long at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
I went into my first NP meeting not knowing what to expect and being scared to death! My sister used Dr. Long for in vitro and conceived and I've had other friends use him. Everyone in his office and himself included made me feel completely comfortable, easing my anxious mind and making me feel incredibly hopeful! His office makes you feel like you're a part of one big family and they along with you want you to succeed in becoming a parent and will do everything in their power to make it happen. Although, I haven't reached my goal of carrying a child and becoming a parent, I feel extremely confident that Dr. Long and his staff will make that happen for me one day! I'm not giving up and I know they aren't giving up either! Dr. Long was so compassionate when I suffered my miscarriage. It was gut wrenching but he made me believe that it was just the beginning and I would get my miracle child and I truly believe with his help I will.
Don't give up! Trust in him and the work he does. Patience is key.
Describe the protocols Cecil Long used in your cycles at ART Fertility Program of Alabama and their degree of success.
He first made it clear that we would go at the speed I wanted to go and whatever I didn't want to do we wouldn't. We started off with routine labwork and ultrasound. I was someone who didn't respond well to clomid so he put me on Letrazole 5 mg. If I responded well we would continue with either our first IUI or he told us we were free to try naturally. The first time around we tried ourselves and we're unsuccessful. Next cycle, same thing Letrazole 5 mg and we did our first IUI and got pregnant. I feel like with me being older in age, he felt time was of the essence so let's do the IUI and proceed from there right off the bat. Unfortunately I miscarried at 8 weeks and my next 2 iui's were unsuccessful so I'm waiting for my next meeting with him in a couple days to come up with a new gameplan.
They made me feel so comfortable immediately! Very caring, compassionate staff that will pray with you and for you and they are such a comfort.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Everything there runs like a well oiled machine. From the front desk, to the lab, to the nurses and doctors. I've never had a long wait, they were prompt on calling you back which to me is important considering my patience isn't what it should be considering my circumstances. I'm always so anxious so them not keeping me waiting is nice
As I'm still going through the process, this is a hard question to answer. I consider myself to have really good insurance so all I've paid is my copay except for the iui's which are covered so I pay for those out of pocket.
Describe Cecil Long's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
I haven't yet experienced this yet. I know when my sister was going through in vitro he would not implant more than 2 embryos at a time. After speaking to other friends who use Dr. Long, I'm under the impression he only implants 2 which is what I would want.
Cecil Long
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Honea is warm, smart and leaves no stone unturned to help families achieve their dreams of a family. She personally called me numerous times when there were setbacks to discuss changes in my treatment plan.... My biggest hurdle was getting my uterine lining thick enough in order to transfer my frozen embryos. So for six months we tried different dosage of medicines and shots to achieve this. While it was a difficult process Dr. Honea assured me we would get there it would just take time to find out what dosage of medicine my body needed in order to produce a thick lining. And of course, a thick lining is essential to have for successful embryo transfer.
The only drawback I can think of is the Huntsville office only offers a satellite office meaning the doctors are only on site by appointment a few times a month. So, if you want an appointment you will have to drive to Birmingham to see them. But weekly appointments can all be done in Huntsville. All retrieval’s and egg transfers also must be done in Birmingham. This is why I initially chose a different clinic and boy did I make the wrong choice. The drive I made a few times was a small price to pay for the care I received.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kathryn Honea at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
She will help you achieve the family you so desperately desire, but she will explain it takes time and patience to do things right.
I spent 12 months at the wrong clinic and after my first appointment with Dr. Honea and her nurses I knew I was at the right place. They were thorough, caring, honest and compassionate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
I can’t say enough amazing things about the Huntsville office staff. They were so wonderful and always made me feel comfortable and involved in the process every step of the way.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Fortunately my insurance covered a small amount, but we still spent $15k or so between the treatment and medicines.
In my case with my advanced age and the number of years we had been trying Dr. honea said she would transfer 2 embryos at most and that was her suggestion. We fully trusted her.
Birmingham

She [Dr. Virginia Houserman] was very thorough and explained everything to us very well. We knew and understood everything that was going on. Everything was laid out to us. When we left the first day from our visit with her, we were excited and ready to get started. She made us feel comfortable talking about things you normally would not like to discuss with others. We put our total faith in her.
Clinic [ART Fertility of AL] is very organized and thorough. I usually did not have wait very long to be seen. On days that would just go to get blood work, I was in and out in 15 minutes. The up front receptionist was very sweet and would work with you on payments etc.... The nurses at the clinic were all wonderful. I usually would see a different nurse each time and they were all great. They were all very compassionate about what they do. Also a very caring and understanding on the subject matter.
She was very thorough and explained everything to us very well. We knew and understood everything that was going on. Everything was laid out to us. When we left the first day from our visit with her, we were excited and ready to get started. She made us feel comfortable talking about things you normally would not like to discuss with others. We put our total faith in her. She is very well educated on infertility and discussed several things with us about the matter. She is compassionate about what she does and expresses that through the whole process. We were very pleased with her and at the clinic. I would highly recommend her to anyone that is going through infertility. We, however did not get the results we wanted, but hope to be able to go back in the near future and try again.
She is very thorough and educated on infertility. Ask her all of your questions and be sure you know everything you feel you need to know to get started.
Everyone was very friendly and welcoming at the clinic. They all made you feel at home.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Clinic is very organized and thorough. I usually did not have wait very long to be seen. On days that would just go to get blood work, I was in and out in 15 minutes. The up front receptionist was very sweet and would work with you on payments etc.
Monitoring appointments were very convenient. Several appointment times were available to my choosing.
$10,975 was due at suppression check. We paid about $4000 for screenings and monitoring.
Dr. Houserman recommended transferring 2 embryos. She did however recommend not transferring anymore than 2.