Associates in Family Care

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
15435 West 134th Place
Olathe, KS 66062
913-782-7515
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Associates in Family Care to a friend?
1 doctor
2013 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Other
I love Amanda and Susan [nurses at Associates in Family Care of Olathe]!! They are both so kind, helpful, and go above and beyond to help me. I live an hour away from Dr Herrick's office, so I often go to my local hospital to get blood tests. They frequently have to fax the orders multiple times before my local hospital receives it. Amanda and Susan are so patient and make sure I get what I need at all times.
2013 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Associates in Family Care.
Associates in Family Care of Olathe has several doctors, though I only go to Dr Herrick. We have spoken with one of the other doctors when we called the physician on call with a question about our son, and they were very kind. The reception staff are all very kind and helpful as well - they all know who I am now and remember me when I come in.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Patrick Herrick at Associates in Family Care?
Both Dr Herrick and his nurses mourn with you during your losses and celebrate with you when there is something to celebrate. They always take the time to make sure you understand what is going on and any decisions that have be made. I always feel like they care about me and want what was best for me and my family.
I love Amanda and Susan!! They are both so kind, helpful, and go above and beyond to help me. I live an hour away from Dr Herrick's office, so I often go to my local hospital to get blood tests. They frequently have to fax the orders multiple times before my local hospital receives it. Amanda and Susan are so patient and make sure I get what I need at all times.
How was your experience with Patrick Herrick at Associates in Family Care?
We first visited Dr Herrick when I was pregnant for the first time and was worried about miscarrying. He did everything he could to help us keep that baby. He even had my blood tested for a few rare problems that most doctors don't think of to make sure we had the best chance to keep our baby. Despite our efforts, we did lose that child. When it was time for us to try again, Dr Herrick ordered numerous blood tests to help discover the problem. It took months, two very early miscarriages (4 weeks and 6 weeks), and several different medications to figure out what the problem was and how to fix it, but Dr Herrick put the puzzle pieces together and made it possible for our sweet little son to be born. Dr Herrick always explained the significant results of the tests he ordered for me, and he was very good at taking the time to answer my questions. If it weren't for him, I think it would have been a long time before I would have been able to have children.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Patrick Herrick at Associates in Family Care?
He doesn't always have a super warm fuzzy bedside manner, but he is a very good, straightforward, honest, professional man and he is always sympathetic to what you are going through. Don't plan to be somewhere soon after your appointments because they often take a long time, but it is worth the inconvenience of the extra 30 or so minutes because you receive excellent care. When I have called that morning, begging them to squeeze in an appointment for me, they almost always figure out a way, so when they run behind I figure that they are just going out of their way to help every patient just as much as they always help me.
Describe the protocols Patrick Herrick used in your cycles at Associates in Family Care and their degree of success.
First, the blood tests Dr Herrick ran showed that I had elevated androgens and prolactin. He gave me a medication (cabergoline) to lower the prolactin, which helped - I was able to conceive - but I miscarried immediately, so we knew that wasn't the whole problem. He then added Clomid a few months later, which helped - I conceived again! - but I miscarried that baby a few weeks later. He ran more blood tests and discovered that I have insulin resistance and PCOS. He gave me Metformin to help the insulin resistance and was also planning on giving me another round of Clomid for the best chance of success, but before I could start taking the Clomid, I conceived again. He kept me on Metformin throughout the pregnancy to help me keep the baby, and he also had me getting progesterone shots to help me keep the baby as well. I stopped getting the shots at 15 weeks as my levels were fine on their own by then. As a result of this treatment, I delivered a healthy baby!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Patrick Herrick at Associates in Family Care.
I always pay a copay for an office visit, and I pay for the medications he puts me on. My insurance usually covers blood tests. He is also my OB, so I paid a general fee for all his OB care over the course of 6 months.
Patrick Herrick
2010 - 2016
Anovulation, Unexplained
Nurses were wonderful!!! They are always available to answer questions, help coordinate care with local labs and providers...Reception staff is friendly and organized. Space is clean and comfortable. Lab on site....Because Dr. Herrick operates from.a family practice setting, he tends to work from that framework as well. Typically I was charged a copay & insurance picked up labs and tests with me paying my standard deductibles...He and his nurses share all of the information they have and are always available to answer questions.
2010 - 2016
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Associates in Family Care.
Dr. Herrick always took time to explain exactly what we were doing, what we should expect, and what would come next. He was frank about not being able to 'garauntee' results, but he worked harder than any of the doctors we had seen before to help us conceive! He was tireless through all stages of our journey. He called us at home on weekends and evenings to share our lab results when we found out we were pregnant and beat us to the hospital when an exam in his office worried him about our baby. Dr. Herrick's skill and compassion are the reason we were able to conceive and deliver our three little girls.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Associates in Family Care. (Assigned nurse: Amanda and Susan)
Nurses were wonderful!!! They are always available to answer questions, help coordinate care with local labs and providers (we traveled an hour to use Dr. Herrick for care when trying to conceive and kept him as our OB for each delivery). These ladies will be like family to you through this process!
How was your experience with Patrick Herrick at Associates in Family Care?
I refer people to Dr. Herrick all of the time!!! He and his nurses share all of the information they have and are always available to answer questions. Prior to finding Dr. Herrick, years of failed treatment and negative labs/tests led our RE to tell us my egg quality must be poor and we would need an egg donor if we wished to pursue pregnancy. Dr. Herrick poured over my binders full of medical records and ordered new labs to find our problems. Medication to lower my prolactin (eventually a pituitary microadenoma was diagnosed before #3), clomid (but for a shorter time and on earlier days than ordered by any previous doc) and progesterone post ovulation resulted in conception! We had two more babies after. Each pregnancy was threatened with miscarriage due to low progesterone levels, but he caught it early and treated throughout resulting in live births each time. Without Dr. Herrick, we would have built our family somehow, but we would have missed the experience of conceiving and delivering our 3 kiddos.
Be understanding of him, too. Dr. Herrick is an amazing doctor. He has his days where he seems an it short, tired, or just off. Remember he has many other patients and likely carries burdens those days we don't know about. Most days, however, he is warm and kind. Never doubt that he is compassionate, and determined to help you conceive and deliver a healthy baby!!!
Elevated prolactin - eventually determined via MRI to have been due to a pituitary microadenoma. Treated with bromocriptine the first two pregnancies and with cabergoline on the 3rd. Low estrogen - 50mg clinic cycle days 3-5 - all 3 pregnancies Low progesterone resulting in failure to implant - HcG shots 3, 5, 7, & 9 DPO on pregnancies 1 & 3. Progesterone suppositories daily from 3 DPO on the 2nd pregnancy as new insurance wouldn't cover injections of HcG. Once pregnant: Progesterone injections through first trimester to prevent miscarriage until placenta developed enough to make its own. On 3rd pregnancy, progesterone continued to fail to stay elevated through 2nd and 3rd trimesters so more progesterone via suppositories and injections. Zinc during 2nd and 3rd trimesters in 2nd and 3rd pregnancies due to pre-term contractions Results were three pregnancies resulting in live birth at term (first) and early term (2nd and 3rd).
Because Dr. Herrick operates from.a family practice setting, he tends to work from that framework as well. Typically I was charged a copay & insurance picked up labs and tests with me paying my standard deductibles. Was much more affordable than our OB specialist or RE had been! We retained him through our pregnancies and made a monthly payment on the anticipated bill while pregnant.
Patrick Herrick