Genetic counseling: Offered
Charlotte, NC 28262
919) 328-3105
10208 Cerny Street
Raleigh, NC 27617
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists to a friend?

2 doctors
So far I have been very fond of everything about this clinic [Atlantic Repro Med]. The communication via the patient portal is phenomenal. The hours work great with my schedule and getting an appointment is never an issue. I feel valued as a patient and as a person here...I feel confident with the information on cost that has already been provided for us that we can formulate a game plan and will not have any surprises.
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
So far I have been very fond of everything about this clinic. The communication via the patient portal is phenomenal. The hours work great with my schedule and getting an appointment is never an issue. I feel valued as a patient and as a person here.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Walmer at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
Dr. Walmer has been a huge blessing. He has taken his time with my husband and I, sat down with us and explained what is going on in a way that we can easily understand it. In his office on the verge of tear he offered support and a hug to me and a handshake to my husband. I feel like Dr. Walmer is a friend who wants nothing more than to see my husband and I become parents.
Most of my time is spent with Dr. Walmer himself. A nursing staff is present during ultrasound that Dr. Walmer peforms and leads me to the Ultrasound rooms however time spent with nursing staff is limited.
How was your experience with David Walmer at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
Dr. Walmer is friendly but blunt. He took my cares and concerns and learned my husband and I. This way we have effective communication. Dr. Walmer knows that I have concerns about (if I proceed with IVF) embyros that I see them as life immediately. There fore Dr. Walmer knowing my concerns has expressed that we could and would be very conservative of ibproceeded with an IVF procedure. Dr. Walmer values human life. He is one of the most compassionate doctors I have ever met.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Walmer at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
Be honest in how you feel. Be honest in what you want as a patient.
Describe the protocols David Walmer used in your cycles at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists and their degree of success.
I was prescribed letrezole to induce ovulation, my status was monitored via ultrasound. I then was told to start OPKs and time intercourse. A week after a positive be OPK I had blood work to monitor progesterone and estraiol. My first cycle was unsuccessful. Currently in my second cycle of leterzole with timed intercourse.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Walmer at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
So far my cost has been minimal due to insurance coverage I only pay for my specialist visit CoPay and my RX. If my husband and I need to seek IVF treatment ( not covered by my insurance) I feel confident with the information on cost that has already been provided for us that we can formulate a game plan and will not have any surprises.
Describe David Walmer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
For me consoding my views on life beginning as sperm meets egg and multiples carrying a higher risk, Dr. Walmer advised if we use IVF single embryo transfer.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
I have no complaints about the clinic [ARMS- Raleigh]. The financial coordinator was thorough during our appointment, giving options and information on any additional costs that may incur. The patient portal was amazing as I used it often. I messaged once on a weekend because I was not sent an injection pen with my medications (through a separate pharmacy) and the other doctor on staff met me that day with a pen. I couldn't recommend ARM more.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
I have no complaints about the clinic. The financial coordinator was thorough during our appointment, giving options and information on any additional costs that may incur. The patient portal was amazing as I used it often. I messaged once on a weekend because I was not sent an injection pen with my medications (through a separate pharmacy) and the other doctor on staff met me that day with a pen. I couldn't recommend ARM more.
Dr. Walmer was the most kind doctor and followed up his warm bedside manner with lots of research, follow ups, and excellent care. He gave hugs and seemed to honestly care along every step of the way.
I saw Dr. Walmer for most appointments but did communicate with the nurses a great deal through the patient portal. They were always quick to respond and friendly-even when I was a nervous wreck at times!
I went to three clinics or consultations before deciding on Dr Walmer for our ivf. He made such a difficult process seem easy and full of hope. We had a few setbacks and he always took the time to find a solution. In our only ivf cycle our first retrieval yielded zero eggs. He had me take another trigger and come back in for another retrieval on the same cycle (something that I later learned is extremely rare). Of the three eggs we had one make it to transfer and is now our sweet, spunky little boy. Dr. Walmer is incredibly knowledgeable, keeps up to date on current research, and is one of the most genuine people I have ever met.
Stay away from Google and trust that he is doing the best course with your specific diagnosis in mind!
To help with my sanity I kept away from overanalyzing the protocols for my cycle. I wanted to keep stress free during the process so put my trust in his decisions. I know this is not the route for everyone but I am so glad I did. Of course now I remember nothing of your protocols and slightly regret that since we may try again in the near future.
My husband mostly handled the financial aspect but I believe it was 11/12 k for the procedure (ivf with icsi) and another 3k for medications. We paid out of pocket and they did help by providing a list of ways to get discounted medications.
Dr. Walmer strongly suggests single embryo and though I do agree we had no choice since only one embryo made it transfer.
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Walmer at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.

IUI, IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
The billing/financial staff [at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists] are pretty terrible. I've been given incorrect prices, billed incorrectly, failed to be notified a storage payments were due, etc.. I literally had to walk one guy through his own price sheet because he was telling me something different than what was on the sheet (he couldn't seem to interpret it correctly). Unfortunately because the rest of their staff from the front desk, to the nurses, to the lab specialists, to the doctors are all amazing.
IUI, IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Pros: This is a smaller clinic and you get a more personalized experience in a "spa-like" environment. I have never had a doctor spend so much time with me during appointments and in follow up. They truly care here. Super LGBTQ friendly. There are a couple of weaknesses: 1) Price. They are a bit more expensive than other clinics in the area. 2) Their policy of charging an extra $500 for using frozen sperm in an IUI cycle is ridiculous. I am not aware of any other clinic that does this across the U.S. and I am part of a number of very large Facebook groups for fertility patients. It bothers me enough that I may actually switch clinics over it. 3) It's very challenging to reach someone by phone- they say not to use the portal for urgent matters, but then don't return phone calls in a timely manner. 4) They are very "by the book" in terms of treatment. Yes of course I want evidence based, but I'd also really like to try immune protocols and promising practices like low dose naltrexone, etc..
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susannah Copland at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
Dr. Copland is caring and compassionate. She puts her patients first. She has returned called in the evening and even while driving home from work!
The nursing staff are a wonderful group! Very competent and caring.
What specific things went wrong at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
How was your experience with Susannah Copland at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
I have never had a doctor spend so much time with me. I feel listened to and heard by Dr. Copland. She is thorough and informed. Great bedside manner. However, I do wish that she would be a bit more creative and cutting edge in her treatment. If it is not currently evidence based, she's not going to go for it. My friends at other clinics are getting promising treatments and protocols that go far beyond what I got at Atlantic, especially during IVF. If there is no harm, I'd rather give anything and everything a shot even if something is still being studied.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susannah Copland at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
I don't have the specifics available, but I will say that they are slightly higher than at least one of the other clinics in the area. Also, as already mentioned, you will have to pay a ridiculous $500 extra for IUI's if you are using frozen sperm (because it must be so hard to set that vial of already washed/prepped sperm out on the counter to unthaw...).
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Susannah Copland at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.

2 IVF, Donor Sperm
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Small clinic [Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists] so you get all the one on one attention when you’re being served. Always make you feel like you are the most important. The main Embryologist is a very caring and she loves her job. Your babies are safe with her... [Cost Of Treatment] 18,500... Katie nurse coordinator and the other staff members are all great, they treat the severity of the situation with being discreet and with a very warm shower.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Small clinic so you get all the one on one attention when you’re being served. Always make you feel like you are the most important. The main Embryologist is a very caring and she loves her job. Your babies are safe with her
From the very beginning Dr.Copland explained the entire process to my partner and I very thoroughly. She has been very caring and sensitive to our needs. Any questions or concerns that we may have she always gives her expert advice with the best and worst scenario. With her you get the feeling of genuine love from start to finish.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Katie Bandy)
Dr. Copeland is just an all around good person. She will go above and beyond to make sure that every question you may have gets an honest answer. She lays it all on the line while remaining very hopeful and optimistic. I really and truly believe with her knowledge and experience that my partner and I will have a healthy baby!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susannah Copland at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
You have found a great doctor!
Describe the protocols Susannah Copland used in your cycles at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists and their degree of success.
She recommended that I take vitamins. D, fish oil, ovavite by theralogic. She checked my vitamin D and AMH levels. My AMH is higher range than expected by age. She separated into 2 phases. First phase was ovarian stimulation the second phase was to prepare the uterus for a frozen embryo transfer. This minimizes my chances of ovarian hyperstimulation. She recommended a psych evaluation and sperm donor clinics. She also completed a unifvy report, this report explained chances of conception.
Describe Susannah Copland's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
The univfy report stated the more cycle the better your chances of conception are
Raleigh

2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
The clinic [Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists- Raleigh] is clean, welcoming and calming. The staff is friendly. Communication can be difficult at first, because it ALL takes place through the portal (or face to face during visits). Because you see your doctor every visit, you don’t always see or meet the nurses you communicate with online.... The nursing staff takes some practice to work with, if you need specific information to be comfortable with treatment. The nurses are extremely friendly and compassionate, but I needed to establish my communication needs early on.
2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
The clinic is clean, welcoming and calming. The staff is friendly. Communication can be difficult at first, because it ALL takes place through the portal (or face to face during visits). Because you see your doctor every visit, you don’t always see or meet the nurses you communicate with online.
Dr. Copland personally sees me at every visit. She took the time to explain in-depth the challenges of my condition at our consultation, and seems to care about me as an individual. I feel like she’s applying scientifically backed approaches to my care. She expresses concern over my personal wellbeing, too.
What specific things went wrong at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
Dr. Copland is easy to talk to and really listens to my concerns. I see her every visit and she explains where we are in the cycle and shows me graphs to demonstrate how I’m responding to treatment. She and her clinic partner answer questions via their portal over the weekend, and she personally called me after my retrieval procedure, even though she wasn’t on call that Saturday.
Organize your questions in advance so you don’t forget to ask something, to make sure you make the most of your face time with the doctor
Because we had tried a lupron flare protocol already, Dr. Copland decided to try an antagonist protocol combined with ovarian organization (using birth control) and testosterone gel 21 days in advance of the stimulation cycle. I used Gonal-F, menopur, cetritide, And Omnitrope during this cycle, with a dual HCG and lupron trigger for retrieval. 3 eggs were retrieved - 2 immature, 1 mature. 1 fertilized successfully, and is currently being tested.
This doctor and clinic use single embryo transfer
Raleigh

Emily and Kelsey are the two ladies at the front desk [at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists]. They are so helpful and always really friendly. They know my husband and I and make sure we are taken care of with appointments and finances...We have only been delayed on TWO appointments the entire time we've going there. It is incredibly efficient...The nurses are always so nice and supportive. We frequently see Candice and she is WONDERFUL.
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Emily and Kelsey are the two ladies at the front desk. They are so helpful and always really friendly. They know my husband and I and make sure we are taken care of with appointments and finances. The clinic is very clean. We have only been delayed on TWO appointments the entire time we've going there. It is incredibly efficient.
Dr. Copland is always so warm and compassionate. She genuinely cares about her patients and wants to reach the ultimate goal of pregnancy as safely and efficiently as possible. She values the opinion of her patients.
The nurses are always so nice and supportive. We frequently see Candice and she is WONDERFUL. They are all fantastic.
Dr. Copland is wonderful. We are so blessed to be in her care and are grateful for the opportunity to have someone on our team that cares so much about us and our goals. We have not reached our ultimate goal yet but we are making strides with every visit. She is compassionate and very professional. She allows for adequate time with us at every visit and we never feel rushed.
We have done several rounds (partly by our choice) of medicated timed home intercourse. Treatment started with a baseline ultrasound. We used 10mg of Letrozole x10days starting on cycle day 3. We would go in for a pre-trigger ultrasound and trigger with Pregnyl based on the results. Pregynl was administered at home every 3 days for a total of 3 doses. On our last home cycle, we had a biochemical pregnancy. Our 2 rounds of IUI were very similar but instead of home intercourse, we did the insemination. We are about to start planning for the InvoCell treatment.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
The entire staff [at Altantic Reproductive] has always made me feel very comfortable and welcoming. They treat me they have known me forever, and they dont just ask a bunch of medical questions, they ask about me and my family...I believe total with the procedures, monitoring, and medications the IUI cost me around $4000 total...Strengths include a very professional and compassionate staff that seem to genuinely want to see you achieve your goals.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Strengths include a very professional and compassionate staff that seem to genuinely want to see you achieve your goals. Weakness is that they are not closer to me, however they are 100% worth the 2 hour drive, one time I even made it in the snow (although the office did call and say they understood if I was unable to make it and attempted to reschedule so I did not drive in unsafe conditions)
No matter how much time passes between appointments I feel like she truly remembers me and my history, I never feel like im constantly having to remind her of my medical history. She asks about me and my family as if she genuinely cares about my well being
Describe your experience with your nurse at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
The entire staff has always made me feel very comfortable and welcoming. They treat me they have known me forever, and they dont just ask a bunch of medical questions, they ask about me and my family.
After a lot of research and consultations with several fertility clinics and am happy that I chose Dr. Copland and Atlantic Reproductive. I have always hated doctors that I was constantly reminding of past medical history and what we had already tried. Dr. Copeland is always up to date on my case and its obvious she takes the time to review my files before each visit. She is truly compassionate and caring and is very forthcoming with medical advice. The only negative about having doctor Copeland as my doctor is that she is located 2 hours from me, but honestly I would drive 10 hours if i had to.
You are in the right hands if you want a truly caring and compassionate doctor who genuinely seems to have your best interest at heart when planning your fertility path
in the beginning we were not only up against my endometriosis but also my husbands low testosterone and lack of sperm. So while my husband was being treated elsewhere for that Dr Copeland made sure to keep up to date with his medical information. She recommended that we "try" a few time while he was having his production stimulated but also highly recommended us to store some sperm for future use which we did. I had my one remaining tube checked and it was clear. I believe we did 3 cycles of me taking Letrozole and trying to get pregnant "naturally", then we took a break and came back the following year and attempted an IUI. Dr Copeland did informed that the endometriosis could lessen the chances of the IUI working and IVF with ICSI was my best bet. But due to monetary restraints we chose to go with the IUI first, hoping for the best. I was given Letrozole, Follistim AQ, and Ovudrel for the trigger. (I do not remember the dosages etc) Unfortunately it did not work. We visited Dr Copeland in January of 2017 to discuss IVF however, the monetary side of things is what makes me hesitant to attempt it, its hard to finance or ask to borrow that amount of money for a "maybe"
We have briefly discussed single vs multiple and she said we had the option to transfer up to 2, it was something we plan to discuss further if we proceed with IVF process
Raleigh

I've only really dealt with them [Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists] over phone and email at this point (that's about to change with IVF) since I do most of my monitoring at my local RE 2 hours away. So far, everyone has been amazing!... I always respond well to his protocols, but just haven't gotten pregnant. 1 cycle of 10 mgs Letrozole cycle days 3-12, Pregnyl HCG trigger , 2 HCG boosters after doing the Stork otc (in lieu of an IUI since I've been an ambassador for the company and we are saving for IVF- no make factor so that doesn't make a difference). Another cycle just like that, but 12 mgs of Letrozole. Then another cycle with the 12 mgs but added in Estradiol patches on day of trigger to stop spotting before period. This current cycle was 40 mgs of tamoxifen instead of Femara /Letrozole.
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
My situation is quite different than others because I technically go to two clinics. I've spent more time at my local RE to be remotely monitored, but so excited to spend more time at ARMS with IVF on the horizon!
The compassion, care, and dedication that Dr. Walmer has is like no other doctor I've encountered. I live 2 hours away and he makes sure that we always have a steady stream of dialogue and communication through phone and email when we can't see each other in person. We work together as a team and I truly feel that he will help me make my dream of being a mother come true.
I've only really dealt with them over phone and email at this point (that's about to change with IVF) since I do most of my monitoring at my local RE 2 hours away. So far, everyone has been amazing!
I have quite the confusing case of unexplained infertility. I tend to stump most of the doctors I work with. Dr. Walmer continues to do everything he can to create protocols designed with our best interests in need. Every time I have had a question or concern, he responds by phone or email within the same day. He is the only doctor to successfully stop my pre-period spotting for the first time in over two and a half-years. I'm a tough case to crack, but his patience and persistence goes a long way on this journey. I feel like he's a part of my family, not just a doctor. That's how compassionate and caring he truly is!
Please go see him and make him the first doctor you see! I wish I would have seen him the first time, over a year ago!
Typical to that of what you'd see everywhere- middle of the road, I guess.
We are about to embark on IVF and he is insisting upon only one embryo, even though I've repeatedly asked to do two. He says that after trying for this long, his goal is for me to have one healthy as possible pregnancy and twins are high risk. He said he will do as many transfers for siblings that I would like afterward.
Raleigh

IVF is just expensive period. Atlantic Reproductive Clinic did offer a military discount which was helpful.... The clinic was extremely clean and comfortable. The atmosphere was relaxing. I did not feel like I was in a clinic.... All of the nursing staff provided quick responses to any questions. Even after hours. They were all so compassionate and friendly.
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Dr. Copeland was very patient and answered any questions we had. She never made us feel rushed. She even followed up with personal phone calls every step of the way, whether it was just to let us know the progress of retrieved eggs or just to see if we were hanging in there. I preferred to know the result of our test via email, so I could bare the news either way by myself. Dr. Copeland respected my wishes and was very empathetic in her email. She re-iterated that I I wanted to talk she would be available. After a few weeks, and I had not reached back out to Dr. Copeland she sent and email and personally called me and asked us to come back into the clinic to discuss what may had happened and to discuss other options. She was so great, not only did she make me feel like she genuinely cared as a doctor but I was able to grieve with a friend. Dr. Copeland was not the first doctor that we consulted with. The first doctor in my opinion lacked bedside manner and made me feel inadequate of possibly being able to conceive. In addition, he discussed topics that had nothing to do with my personal situation. This was why a consulted with another doctor. I am glad I did because I my experience with Dr. Copeland and her staff at Atlantic Reproduction was first class and I would definitely anyone to their practice.
Our experience with Dr. Copeland as a patient was very personnel. She allowed us express every concern and ask every question as needed. She has great bedside manner and made us feel as if she really cared about us, not only as patients but as personal friends. There was not one time that I felt as if I was a number.
That she is willing to listen to all of your concern no matter how silly you may think it is. She does not make you feel as if you are uneducated to the process and will educate you about the overall experience and to learn about your individual circumstances.
The overall strategy was to retrieve as manner eggs as possible in hopes of retrieving a good quality egg. I believe my treatment cycle was aggressive due to my diminished ovarian reserve.
Doctor Copeland used the medical grid that was set by a national standard to determine the number of embryos to transfer. She made sure that we know her decision was based on medical research.
Raleigh

Strengths [of Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists] -Many early morning appointments. I live about an hour and twenty minutes from the clinic so early morning monitoring was important so I didn't miss much work. -Lab results always came back quickly -They offered a military discount -Seriously felt like I was a member of the family -The other doctor in the clinic, Dr. Copeland, was fantastic as well. My doctor was out for 2 of my monitoring appointments and she was absolutely fantastic Weaknesses None
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Strengths -Many early morning appointments. I live about an hour and twenty minutes from the clinic so early morning monitoring was important so I didn't miss much work. -Lab results always came back quickly -They offered a military discount -Seriously felt like I was a member of the family -The other doctor in the clinic, Dr. Copeland, was fantastic as well. My doctor was out for 2 of my monitoring appointments and she was absolutely fantastic Weaknesses None
Dr. Walmer was always so kind with his words and was wonderful at putting both myself and my partner at ease. He would answer my questions on nights and weekends. I never felt like I had a stupid question.
The entire nursing staff was excellent. They were quick to answer questions and very compassionate. I felt like they were rooting for us the entire time. I even had a nurse tell me that she had specifically come to work at this clinic because of the quality of care that they provided and she spoke of how much she loved her job. We even got personalized messages from a lot of the nurses after our positive pregnancy test.
From the moment we met Dr. Walmer we knew that he was a right fit to help us continue our family. Not only did he approach our situation with his expertise but he was also kind and compassionate.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. I feel like sometimes Dr. Walmer will try to limit some information so that the patient receives to eliminate stress. Unfortunately for me I google a lot and have a ton of questions. I can be a terrible patient, thinking of the worst case scenarios. Dr. Walmer always answered my crazy questions though and never made me feel crazy for it.
Atlantic does batch cycling. I suppressed with birth control pills until the designated time. I had a baseline ultrasound and it was determined that I would not have to use Cetrocide. I stimmed for 11 days using 375u of Gonal-F and 20 units of a microdose HCG. Cetrocide was added starting on day 8 and I triggered with 5,000u of HCG with luteal support of 2,500u on both days 14 and 16 of the cycle. Retrieval was on day 13 of the cycle and we transferred one grade 3AB embryo on day 5.
Roughly, between copays for procedures covered under insurance and out of pocket expenses due to the IVF itself (I have no insurance coverage for IVF) we spent about $10,000 for a cycle (this is not including the IVF meds)

2012 - 2013
2 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
[Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists] Very relaxing, lovely ambiance. Easy access from 40. Very kind and friendly reception staff.... [nurses were]... Kind, skilled, caring.... I liked Dr. Copeland very much as a person. She was warm and thoughtful. She was also incredibly responsive to emails and phone calls.... Look at the statistics available online to evaluate and compare the success of this clinic versus that of nearby alternatives.
2012 - 2013
2 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Very relaxing, lovely ambiance. Easy access from 40. Very kind and friendly reception staff. If I could do it over again, I would have switched to a different clinic earlier based upon my sense that Dr. Copeland was not sufficiently aggressive with my cycles. Ultimately, Dr. Copeland indicates that she could no longer help me pursue cycles with my own eggs. I moved to a different clinic and had a successful IVF cycle using my own eggs thereafter.
Dr. Copeland was kind and caring, patient and respectful. She was empathetic and patient as we navigated the fertility process.
Kind, skilled, caring.
What specific things went wrong at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
I liked Dr. Copeland very much as a person. She was warm and thoughtful. She was also incredibly responsive to emails and phone calls. I felt that in Dr. Copeland’s desire to allow me to make informed choices, she often left me confused about next steps. I appreciate her commitment to empowering patients to decide their course of treatment, but I often wished for more guidance about what was likely to help us achieve pregnancy. I also felt that Dr. Copeland was very conservative with medication dosage and perhaps not as creative in thinking about ways to treat me during my cycles. I say this based upon my experience with the fertility doctor who ultimately helped us become pregnant. By comparison, I felt that he was much more aggressive and cutting-edge, factors that I believe were ultimately responsible for our success. I think Dr. Copeland may be a better choice for someone with fertility diagnoses that may be less significant than the very poor ovarian reserve and low sperm count and quality we were confronting.
I do not recall.
Raleigh

Strengths- everyone [Atlantic Repro Med Specialists] we met was very nice and welcoming. The lobby/ waiting room had water, tea, coffee and snacks. They were all organized, and they seemed to really care. They have a portal and are quick to answer questions. There’s an on call doctor and nurse at all time ... They were kind and courteous but he is the one that calls me after ultrasounds and bloodwork
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Strengths- everyone we met was very nice and welcoming. The lobby/ waiting room had water, tea, coffee and snacks. They were all organized, and they seemed to really care. They have a portal and are quick to answer questions. There’s an on call doctor and nurse at all time
Dr Walmer spent 2 hours talking to us and explaining why we probably haven’t gotten pregnant yet due to my endometriosis. He explained things in a way the past 3 doctors never did. We felt Valued and taken care of. We have never felt this way with any doctor before
I have honestly interacted with Dr Walmer more than the nursing staff. They were kind and courteous but he is the one that calls me after ultrasounds and bloodwork
Dr Walmer took the time to explain so much to us. We had seen 3 doctors before him and the 2 hours spent with him were more informative and better than any other doctor. We felt like the most important people in the room with him.
Go in expected to be cared for and have all of your questions answered!
I have endometriosis and had surgery to remove it in 2017. We tried 3 months of clomid with no response , 4 iui’s but Dr Walmer wanted to do a higher dosage of letrozole for a longer period to try to produce more eggs to get where they need to go. He doesn’t think we need iui because my husband’s sperm count and motility are so great
Copay 80 dollars with blue Cross blue shield
Raleigh

I feel like I have to follow-up with any particular questions or issues and sometimes I have to do so on multiple occasions. I still don't have an understanding of finances and I've been talking with the clinic [Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists] for months. But the facilities are nice and the nursing team is great. The other doctor at the clinic is also responsive and responded to an off-hours request for me.
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
I feel like I have to follow-up with any particular questions or issues and sometimes I have to do so on multiple occasions. I still don't have an understanding of finances and I've been talking with the clinic for months. But the facilities are nice and the nursing team is great. The other doctor at the clinic is also responsive and responded to an off-hours request for me.
I feel like Dr. Copland listens to my desires and priorities. We had a bit of a communication mishap, but she did a great job (called me personally after work) to correct the issue.
Each time I have gone in for a diagnostic, the nurse working with me has been very helpful and communicative. They listened to me and were very compassionate.
What specific things went wrong at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
When I first saw Dr. Copland I thought I understood the next steps, but then our online messaging communication did not portray that. It was frustrating to not feel like I knew what was going on, but Dr. Copland reached out to me to fix the situation. It required that I communicate my frustrations, but she responded well. She is very caring and listens well.
Make sure you are on the same page and understand all of the next steps before leaving.
I have just finished the diagnostic component of treatment and have not yet started treatment, so I feel like I cannot speak to this.
Still TBD.

3 IUI, IVF
Anovulation, Male Factor
The nursing staff [at Atlantic Repro Med Raleigh] is wonderful. They are knowledgeable, kind, and very approachable...We are starting an antagonist IVF freeze all cycle soon. So far we did 3 cycles with letrozole and timed intercourse and 3 cycles with letrozole, ovidrel and IUI. I started at 5 mg letrozole producing 1 follicle and ended with 10 mg letrozole producing 3 follicles...
3 IUI, IVF
Anovulation, Male Factor
Despite how busy she might be, Dr. Copland always has time to listen or answer questions. She has kept up with the personal details of my life as well that make me feel like I am important to her.
The nursing staff is wonderful. They are knowledgeable, kind, and very approachable.
What specific things went wrong at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
This is such a difficult journey but I can't imagine doing it at any other practice. We are still undergoing treatment but we have found everyone at the office extremely helpful and personable. Scheduling is sometimes difficult but this is to be expected with a busy practice. Overall I am extremely satisfied.
Dr. Copland allows you to be in charge of your medical decisions. She gives you all of the information available and then lets you decide what is right for you. This works for me as I am an insufferable control freak. But if you are the type that needs more direction, be upfront with her and let her know that.
$1425 / IUI + ~$300 for letrozole and ovidrel $14,350 / IVF with ICSI: Includes retrieval and 2 transfers. Package purchased through ARC

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The care from everyone in Dr. Copland's office [at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists] was above and beyond what I experienced at Duke. When results were bad they were there with hugs and tissue. I couldn't have asked for more...IVF 1 - Follistim 375y cycle days 1-11, trigger, 11 eggs retrieved, 3 made it to day 5. PGS testing of all 3, no viable embryos to transfer. IVF 2 - Follistim 375y cycle days 1-11, omnitrope days 6-11, trigger, 8 eggs retrieved, 6 made it to day 5. PGS testing of all 6, 2 viable embryos to transfer. FET transfer, BFN. IUI 1 - letrozole 10mg days 2-8, Follistim 150u days 8-15, trigger (estimated 4 mature follicles), BFP with singleton birth IUI 2 - letrozole 10mg days 2-8, Follistim 150u days 8-13, trigger (estimated 5 mature follicles), BFP with twin pregnancy in progress (currently first trimester)
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Night and day (for the better) compared to Duke. communication is great. Staff is great. Felt more like a family then a doctor's office.
The care from everyone in Dr. Copland's office was above and beyond what I experienced at Duke. When results were bad they were there with hugs and tissue. I couldn't have asked for more.
I have nothing negative to say about the nurses. All were great.
Dr. Copland always performed all procedures and ultrasounds. She was open to discussing treatments, supplements, etc. that the other clinic I visited previously never even mentioned as options. She took the time to understand my history. All interactions were positive (even when negative news was delivered).
Come with questions...because she has answers.
Raleigh

I honestly can't think of a weakness for this clinic [Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists]. Everyone here from the front desk to the office staff to the nurses and Dr Walmer are all amazing. I highly recommend them to everyone that needs fertility services!...Dr. Walmer is amazing. He explained things in a manner that was easy to understand. He was caring and compassionate throughout our entire emotional journey. He truly cares about his patients. It is rare to find someone that is so sincere!...The nursing staff is amazing! Everyone there sincerely cares and wants to help. I always felt comfortable to ask questions. They remember you and treat you like a human being, not like a number. I love these ladies!
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
I honestly can't think of a weakness for this clinic. Everyone here from the front desk to the office staff to the nurses and Dr Walmer are all amazing. I highly recommend them to everyone that needs fertility services!
Dr. Walmer and the entire staff were caring, thoughtful and excited to help us. I would recommend them to everyone!!
Don't be afraid to ask questions!
My husband was the memory for everything (mine is horrible!). After our initial consultation, my husband and I both had testing done to try to narrow down the issue. Since the issue was with me (female), Dr Walmer performed more detailed tests. I had to have 2 hysteroscopies, we tried injections to boost egg release, injections and pills for follicle stimulation, 3 IUI's.
My insurance does not cover much for infertility, so we did spend a few thousand dollars overall.
Raleigh

They [Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists] were great at making the clinic a warm and inviting place, you didn’t feel like you were at a sterile drs office. They also didn’t have picture of babies everywhere like some places which was nice.... I felt like a human, the treatment was always done by Dr Copeland and she always called to check on me. Everyone there is wonderful... They were caring and knowledgeable about procedures. Always felt like they knew you.
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
They were great at making the clinic a warm and inviting place, you didn’t feel like you were at a sterile drs office. They also didn’t have picture of babies everywhere like some places which was nice.
She was amazing at explaining our steps and at caring about how we felt or putting our needs first. It’s not just about numbers with her she is there for you as a person. she was there at every appointment and did every procedure, you always felt like she had you best interest in mind.
Ask her anything she is so willing to help you understand the whole process and is passionate about her work
I don’t remember them all but after 3 IUIs she felt it was more effective to try IvF as long as we were ok with it. With the IvF we got 3 eggs and we implanted 2 and froze 1. We implanted 2 since the quality of both weren’t great, she explained all the risks etc.
Raleigh

I thought the billing office [Atlantic Repro Med] at first was organized, until everything started then it seemed like a random bill would pop up unexpected....If you're looking to obtain answers, I would look elsewhere. If you know ahead of time what is wrong and not facing unexplained infertility (or immunological reasons) this may be the place for you. Honestly, I had high hopes given a close family member had referred me (And they accepted both of our insurances).
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
If you're looking to obtain answers, I would look elsewhere. If you know ahead of time what is wrong and not facing unexplained infertility (or immunological reasons) this may be the place for you. Honestly, I had high hopes given a close family member had referred me (And they accepted both of our insurances). I was very disappointed that the drive to figure out "what is wrong" wasn't there.
Dr Copeland had an excellent bedside manner and treated me like a human to a point.
They replied to my messages via the patient portal quickly
What specific things went wrong at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
While I appreciated Dr Copland's bedside manner- I wasn't happy with the lack of drive to diagnose what was wrong with me. It honestly felt like I was hitting my head against the wall doing the same thing over and over again. It wasn't until my second clinic the doctor found what was wrong with me and it was impacting implantation. She was very caring and warm which I appreciated, but I needed more to obtain the results I wanted.
Always ask questions; and do your research ahead of time.
Femara for 1 week with monitoring, then triggered with Ovidrel.
I thought the billing office at first was organized, until everything started then it seemed like a random bill would pop up unexpected.
n/a IUI
Raleigh

They [Atlantic Reproductive Medicine] are sometimes hard to get on the phone, but always call back or email in a timely manner. I like that you pay by cycle and not visit as they do a lot of bloodwork and ultra sounds as needed...They [the nurses] were wonderful. Even offering meditation DVD's since we have been struggling. All very nice...Around $1200 [IUI] not including donor sperm and medication
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
They are sometimes hard to get on the phone, but always call back or email in a timely manner. I like that you pay by cycle and not visit as they do a lot of bloodwork and ultra sounds as needed.
She is absolutely amazing. The perfect blend of knowledge and compassion.
They were wonderful. Even offering meditation DVD's since we have been struggling. All very nice.
She is wonderful. Very hands on from the beginning and goes into great detail to make sure you understand the process and your options. Never feel rushed. Very thorough. I would happily recommend her to someone.
She adjusted medications as needed. She halted periods to allows cysts to heal to proceed with the process quicker. Did a lot of blood work to monitor levels. I had a miscarriage and she did a procedure to make sure here were no remnants for better chances of taking the next iui.
Around $1200 not including donor sperm and medication

Endometriosis, Other
Very nice staff [at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists]. Clean and comfortable. The waiting area is relaxing and I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for my appointment. They always managed to fit me in even if it was super last minute! They are quick, your usually in and out of the exams (ultrasounds) with in 30 minutes...The only thing that ever went wrong was, I called and made an appointment and when I got there for the appointment, it was not in the computer..but they fit me in anyway and I still only waited a few minutes.
Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Very nice staff. Clean and comfortable. The waiting area is relaxing and I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for my appointment. They always managed to fit me in even if it was super last minute! They are quick, your usually in and out of the exams (ultrasounds) with in 30 minutes.
She has been great! I see her at every visit. She is honest and I don't feel like she gives false hope.
What specific things went wrong at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists?
I like her and am happy with her. I haven't achieved pregnancy yet but I will hopefully be starting a second round soon. She is very personable and honest. I love that she is at every visit and has always made time to call me to talk personally if I had questions.
total about $20,000.00
Raleigh

The clinic [Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists] is very warm and everyone is very kind.... IUI was about $900 and IVF was priced at about $17,000... I was on Letrozole for a few cycles but they gave me headaches. He also instructed my husband to take CoQ10. I haven't gotten pregnant yet so I'm not sure they helped.
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
The clinic is very warm and everyone is very kind.
Dr. Walmer was always very kind and considerate of my feelings
Everyone is always very kind and friendly.
Dr. Walmer was extremely nice and caring. The only negative thing I have to say is that, he never gave me a clear idea of what next steps I should take. I wasn't ever sure if IVF was the right step for me or not.
Ask specific questions if you have any thoughts or questions
IUI was about $900 and IVF was priced at about $17,000
Raleigh

Outside of the medical staff, the office staff [at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists] aren't great. I was constantly told that i should be paying when my insurance covered certain services.... One cycle with only medication-no pregnancy. 3 IUI cycles with 300 follistim, 10 mg letrozole and pregnyl trigger, no pregnancies.... Very good doctor. I was treated with compassion and cannot complain with the level of service I was given. Always took the time to make sure I was ok. Clinic was very nice and felt like they were available for whatever I needed.
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Outside of the medical staff, the office staff aren't great. I was constantly told that i should be paying when my insurance covered certain services.
I paid for doctor visits only, 3 IUI cycles were covered by insurance.

IUI, 1 IVF
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I felt incredibly cared for by Dr Walmer and everyone in his office [at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists]. They were patient, readily available, and made sure all of my questions were answered. Everyone in the practice who treated me knew my name and made me feel as comfortable as possible.
IUI, 1 IVF
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I felt incredibly cared for by Dr Walmer and everyone in his office. They were patient, readily available, and made sure all of my questions were answered. Everyone in the practice who treated me knew my name and made me feel as comfortable as possible.
So kind, caring and compassionate. He's truly an amazing guy.

2013 - 2015
Dr.Copland and her team have fantastic communication and show a great deal of compassion throughout the progress. I love how she maintained a sense of urgency throughout the process!
2013 - 2015
Very highly. Loved how responsive they were!

IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Good atmosphere [Atlantic Reproductive Med] and staff. Dr. Copeland is great and she has an awesome reputation. She keeps up with new technology and uses it. She also will coordinate care with an acupuncturist....I went to see her for a second opinion. She is great and really listen and cared. She provided mental health resources which is important and I haven’t seen this at any other clinic.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists.
Good atmosphere and staff. Dr. Copeland is great and she has an awesome reputation. She keeps up with new technology and uses it. She also will coordinate care with an acupuncturist. I can’t recommend her enough.
She spent a lot of time listening to me and she went over my results. She took a you time explaining things to us at the consultation.
I went to see her for a second opinion. She is great and really listen and cared. She provided mental health resources which is important and I haven’t seen this at any other clinic. I didn’t use her clinic since my insurance didn’t cover anything there. I have sent many friends to her.