Genetic counseling: Offered
2500 W. William Cannon
Austin, TX 78745
2200 Park Bend Drive
Austin, TX 78758
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Austin Fertility Institute to a friend?

2 doctors
IUI - $2k per cycle, about $200 for meds...IVF - $26k including meds [at Austin Fertility Institute]...The staff is very helpful and empathetic. They make every effort to get get to know you. If you call ahead, they'll tell you if his appointments are running behind. You almost always have to leave a message for the nurses, but they do return phone calls promptly. The white noise machine up North is great, the one South has lots of water sounds. North office has thin walls and the South office runs warm.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He remembered most details about us and was available for us one night even though he was at a concert. We didn't have the meds we needed for the night and he offered to meet us at the office to get them for the night. But, appointments are overbooked and there were times I waited 2 hours for an appointment.
The nurse that showed me how to take the meds forgot to give me a card on how to get a different dosage of menopur, my husband and I ended up googling and guessing on the medication for that night. I asked one of the front desk ladies about it and she said I should have received a card with instructions and she gave it to me. Luckily, my husband and I have really good Google skills. It was also that nurse that didn't give us our starter meds and Dr. M offered to meet us at the office.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Good: I asked him to be very direct about what I needed to be doing. He was able to give clear instructions and didn't make me feel like garbage when I screwed up meds. He was very attentive every time I saw him. He was honest about IUI success rates and gave very accurate timelines. He also wears boots with scrubs sometimes and it makes me lol and calms my anxiety. Bad: Talks a little fast, sometimes I had to ask him to repeat himself several times. He was always nice enough to do that without making me feel stupid.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Be patient, you will have to wait to see him.
Describe the protocols Kenneth Moghadam used in your cycles at Austin Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
Don't remember, not because he didn't go over it with me, but because I didn't want all that information in my head. I read a lot about IUI and IVF online and it scared me. Almost scared me to the point where I didn't want to go through with the treatments. He always asked if we had questions and I completely trust his judgement on strategies and rationales.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute.
IUI - $2k per cycle, about $200 for meds IVF - $26k including meds
Describe Kenneth Moghadam's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Austin Fertility Institute.
We have not gotten this far in our IVF treatment.
Austin Park Bend

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Expectations of time sitting in the waiting room is a little out of whack. They [Austin Fertility Institute] could work on that. Also, some of them aren’t so great on the phone. The location of the practice is great and easy to get to and from. The waiting and scheduling is really the biggest issue ... A few [nurses] are learning the ultrasound machine so that’s a little interesting but overall have been great ... It’s $181 for an ultrasound, $1000 for timed intercourse with medication, $1500 for medicated cycle with IUI ...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Expectations of time sitting in the waiting room is a little out of whack. They could work on that. Also, some of them aren’t so great on the phone. The location of the practice is great and easy to get to and from. The waiting and scheduling is really the biggest issue
At times he seemed overwhelmed with too many patients and during this time he was only focused on numbers on the chart. When he wasn’t a busy those appointments I felt we’re more inclusive
All hvw been great. A few are learning the ultrasound machine so that’s a little interesting but overall have been great
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He’s very to the point. Which I like. He can sometimes talk to quickly regarding medical treatments but will happily slow down and use pictures to help understand. He is not a fluffy make you feel good doctor but more of a, this is the situation and here is what I am going to do to fix it.
Take notes!
When I first started seeing him I wanted to try a more holistic approach. I did acupuncture, diet and lifestyle changes for 3 months before I sought his actual help. He really understood wanting to be more natural and mixing western and eastern meds together. Once I saw him for actual help, we started with just medicated cycles with femar, folistem and timed entercourse. This did not have a positive result and we continued on with this set up. I have had a few months where I was unable, due to low follicle count, to continue with an IUI. He said that I should still be able to conceive without doing IVF
No notes
Austin Park Bend

The clinic [Austin Fertility Institute] is excellent. It’s small so you don’t feel overwhelmed and the staff make it personable. Never any long wait times and minimal paperwork. They are very accommodating to your schedule with appointments and make it easy to be seen.... The absolute best team of nurses I’ve ever met in an office. They know you by name and somehow they all keep up with your journey. They are all trained to do so many things to help out with your care.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
The clinic is excellent. It’s small so you don’t feel overwhelmed and the staff make it personable. Never any long wait times and minimal paperwork. They are very accommodating to your schedule with appointments and make it easy to be seen. No weaknesses to report.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
Dr. Crawford is a very patient centered physician. Her calm tone of voice as well as her thorough, yet simple, explanation of every step of the process made it easy for us to understand what was going to happen. She was quick to respond to questions without making me feel like a bother.
The absolute best team of nurses I’ve ever met in an office. They know you by name and somehow they all keep up with your journey. They are all trained to do so many things to help out with your care. They are available for questions and can answer them all. They, just like Dr. Crawford, are soneasy to talk to. On my last visit I cried because I was going to miss the staff of nurses just as much as my doctor.
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
Dr. Crawford was the best doctor I have seen since being diagnosed with PCOS at age 21. At this stage in my life of trying to become a mother, finding a doctor who would be understanding, yet honest, was most important. She explained every option for conception and even drew out the process on pieces of paper so we had a visual! At every visit she explained what was happening and didn’t rush me out of the office to get to her next patients. When I was diagnosed with DVT in the emergency room she was my advocate. She made me feel like I had someone in my corner the whole time and I will never be able to make her know how amazing that feels. Her bedside manner is unmatched and she truly connects with her patients on a level that can’t be taught in any medical institution.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
Don’t be afraid to talk to her. Be honest. She is not a doctor who can’t handle tears and crying. She is straight forward but comforting in every step of your journey.
Describe the protocols Natalie Crawford used in your cycles at Austin Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
After my consult, she recommended that we go straight to IVF. This was because of my PCOS diagnosis and also because of my husband’s sperm analysis. We did hormone injections to produce follicles followed by egg retrieval, which produced 30 eggs. We did ICSI, which resulted in 18 frozen embryos.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Austin Fertility Institute.
It was very easy to go in for monitoring. They did the appointments in the morning so it was convenient for me and my hectic work schedule. Visits were quick, usually in and out in about an hour. Never long waits or waiting room full of patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute.
$35 copay every visit
Austin Park Bend

The clinic [Austin Fertility Institute] is busy, which means that you are likely to wait 30 to 45 minutes past your appointment time. This is important to know because it can be stressful at times when you are having to take off of work to go to appointments. However, once you are seen, you never feel like you are being rushed out because they are behind. I believe that the lateness is a weakness, but it could also be seen as a strength because it makes you realize that they take as much time for each patient, even if that means they run behind.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
The clinic is busy, which means that you are likely to wait 30 to 45 minutes past your appointment time. This is important to know because it can be stressful at times when you are having to take off of work to go to appointments. However, once you are seen, you never feel like you are being rushed out because they are behind. I believe that the lateness is a weakness, but it could also be seen as a strength because it makes you realize that they take as much time for each patient, even if that means they run behind.
Dr. Moghadam and his team were always very welcoming and acted like they remembered you. They took their time during each appointment to make sure that all of the questions got answered and things were clearly explained.
The nursing staff were all very helpful and compassionate.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Dr. Moghadam is a great doctor who really cares about you as a patient. He makes sure that you fully understand everything and makes sure to answer all questions. He is very honest in his words and makes you feel like he is giving it his best shot, without giving you any sort of false hope. He doesn't sugarcoat things, but he does make you feel at ease about the decisions that are being made.
Know that his office is very busy and you will have to wait, but he will give you the time when it is your turn. He is open to answer any and all questions, so have a list of questions ready for him.
I do not remember details on the cycles and rationales for using them. I will say, I did not end up getting to do a fresh transfer after my retrieval because my progesterone numbers were getting too high. I did a long lupron FET and it resulted in a live birth.
The cost was around $12,000 for an egg retrieval and transfer. $3750 to the doctor for monitoring and transfer and $8200 for the retrieval (lab fee, anesthesia fee, and surgery fee). The cost of the FET was $3250. $1500 to the doctor to monitoring and transfer and $1750 to the lab and facility for transfer.
Dr. Moghadam suggested a single embryo transfer because of the quality of my embryos and the fact that a single pregnancy is safer than a twin pregnancy. We decided that after two failed transfers with a prior doctor where we transferred two embryos each time, that we wanted to transfer multiple embryos. Dr. Moghadam took our concerns into account and we transferred two, against his advice.
Austin Park Bend

The biggest strength of the clinic [Austin Fertility Institute-Ausitn Park Bend] is how proactive they are. I love that i see my Dr. at every visit and we have a plan moving forward. I don't ever feel confused living the clinic, I always feel confident in my course of action. The biggest weakness is definitely the long wait times. I've waited up to 90 minutes before. I wish they could schedule things out so that there aren't such long waits.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
The biggest strength of the clinic is how proactive they are. I love that i see my Dr. at every visit and we have a plan moving forward. I don't ever feel confused living the clinic, I always feel confident in my course of action. The biggest weakness is definitely the long wait times. I've waited up to 90 minutes before. I wish they could schedule things out so that there aren't such long waits.
I really like that at every appointment I am able to see Dr. Moghadam. He is very involved in my care and seems genuinely happy to see me at every visit. Sometimes the appointments can feel more rushed than I would like. I do ask a lot of questions and can take up more time, but he does try his best to answer all of my questions.
I love the nurses, specifically at the South location. I see Jamie at every visit. She is just full of compassion and she is the best ultra sound tech I have ever had in my life. She is so gentle and explains everything I'm looking at on the screen.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Dr. Moghadam is very proactive. He likes to put a plan in place and get you started on your course of treatment. That works very well with my personality. He can sometimes talk a little fast and doesn't like to be interrupted. I think once he understands you're overwhelmed with everything being thrown at you he can be more compassionate. He is very easy going and straight forward.
I would tell an prospective patient to come prepared with questions. He can go over everything quite quickly and might miss something you were hoping to learn more about.
I have done 2 complete round of treatment with Dr. Moghadam and I am about to start my first round of IVF. The first round we did was straight after a miscarriage so we were very hopeful that we would get pregnant with minimal help. We did a timed intercourse cycle with injectables. The next cycle we agreed to do an IUI, but it was canceled because on cycle day 6 i had a 21mm follicle. The third cycle we did and IUI that did not result in a pregnancy. We knew my tubes were not in perfect condition, not entirely blocked but still not idea. We decided that IVF would be the best course of action.
Timed intercourse round is $1000, not including meds. IUI is $1500 not including meds the second IUI would have only been $875 IVF is $17,500 not including meds
Dr. Moghadam will not transfer more than 1 genetically tested normal embryo in a patient younger than 35. If the embryos have not been genetically tested he still prefers a single embryo transfer, but is willing to hear the patient out.
Austin Park Bend

This clinic [Austin Fertility Institute] is very organized and on top of everything. ... When I first start going I got frustrated with wait times which seemed crazy. An hour or two just for a monitor, but then when summer came and I got morning appointments there was no wait. It is so long in the afternoon, bc Dr. M and his staff work with peoples schedules to make this process easier. Mornings I was in and out in 20 minutes. ... The nursing staff was absolutely amazing. Everyone on staff was sweet and caring
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
This clinic is very organized and on top of everything. I would recommend them to anyone. When I first start going I got frustrated with wait times which seemed crazy. An hour or two just for a monitor, but then when summer came and I got morning appointments there was no wait. It is so long in the afternoon, bc Dr. M and his staff work with peoples schedules to make this process easier. Mornings I was in and out in 20 minutes.
He knew my husband and I by name, always remembered our information and different things going on in our lives.
The nursing staff was absolutely amazing. Everyone on staff was sweet and caring. I taught an hour away and they would work with my schedule and let me come after my work day was over. Even after moving to Alaska that continued to call and check on me.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He was very to the point, at first I wasn't sure how to take his personality, but he knew exactly what he was doing, and as time went on we got to know him better and he was very compassionate. He did a consultation with every appointment which was nice and he always communicated with a schedule what was expected each cycle.
Just to not worry so much about if things are running late and do not let it stress you out.
When we came to Dr. Moghadam we had tried 5 cycles of clomid with no luck. We decided to do an aggressive approach since my husband was deploying. We tested one month, then Medicated IUI with follistim, letrozole, and trigger. The next month we did IUI again and upped the dose of follistim, then took a month off did HSG, saw polyp, did Hysteroscopy then IUI and got pregnant. Unfortunately resulted in an ectopic pregnancy but it was successful.
My husband is military and Dr. M gave us 50% off every treatment, we had a cycle result with only 1 egg so he cancelled that cycle to not waste our money.
Austin Park Bend

Loved all of the nurses at AFI. Just like Dr. Crawford, they were knowledgeable and compassionate. The only downside was the difficulty in reaching them via phone because it is such a busy practice....Would have been nice to meet with a financial coordinator to walk us through the costs of IVF and how insurance related to our out of pocket costs....Loved that the lab was in house and they would even be able to run the labs on the weekends.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Would have been nice to meet with a financial coordinator to walk us through the costs of IVF and how insurance related to our out of pocket costs. The lady who handles their insurance told us at our last visit that we needed to pay several thousand dollars out of pocket because our insurance benefits had run out, but we told her that we had an HRA and we also had a credit... and then she confirmed that (but only after we mentioned it). Loved that the lab was in house and they would even be able to run the labs on the weekends.
Dr. Crawford is so incredibly compassionate, especially when delivering bad news. You could tell that it was difficult for her to even have to give us the bad news, but she answered every question we possibly could have had and was available via email.
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
She was extremely knowledgeable and could provide evidence behind almost everything as it related to IVF. I could not have asked for a better doctor to guide us through our first few cycles of IVF. She welcomed our input even when it came to treatment protocols. For example, I responded very poorly to lupron and had a lot of side effects ... I felt hesitant to even discuss that I did not want to do another lupron cycle, but when I expressed my hesitation she agreed. She was always upbeat and positive, but also realistic. After our first egg retrieval ended with only 1 embryo, we changed strategies from embryo banking to just trying to have 1 baby. I'm glad we were all on the same page the whole way through.
Ask her any questions that you may have, because her answers are based on extensive knowledge and will make you feel more at ease.
First was antagonist protocol with gonalF, menopur, ganirelex and ovidrel trigger. Made it to egg retrieval with 6 eggs retrieved, only 1 embryo (PGS abnormal). Due to concern that maybe the follicles were growing quickly and weren't used to the stimulation, OCP and lupron was added the 2nd cycle (started at 10 units, then tapered to 5). Also added HGH for possibly an increase in number of follicles. Had horrible side effects to lupron ... would feel feverish, chills, aches. There was only 1 dominant follicle so we did IUI that failed. 3rd cycle was the normal antagonist protocol with HGH. Follicles did not respond to medication at all and that cycle was cancelled.
From what I can recall, each ultrasound monitoring appointment was around 180 (based on the contracted rate with my insurance), which was approx $1000 in the first cycle. The surgical center costs were the bulk of what we had to pay out of pocket. It was approximately $4000 for the egg retrieval/lab and $4000 for PGS testing.
Austin Park Bend

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Everyone in the office [AFI] is caring. They use your name, know your history, and treat you like a person. They always spend time with you each appointment...provided a price list (cash patient pricing) at my first visit for Timed Intercourse and IUI cycles ($500-$1500 depending on type of medication used and TI vs IUI) ... [nursing staff] They are all very sweet, caring, and helpful. They know you and remember details to make it seem more personal...
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
ave not been to other clinic(s) in town so I can't really speak towards comparison, but I chose Dr. M and AFI because of the individualized attention and treatment plan. I also picked him because he was ready to get me started immediately and did not make me go through a bunch of hoops to become a patient. For something so personal as fertility treatments to build your family, you need to be comfortable with the doctor and nurses. You WILL spend a lot of time with them and put a great deal of trust in them. I have always felt very comfortable and well taken care of here.
Everyone in the office is caring. They use your name, know your history, and treat you like a person. They always spend time with you each appointment.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He tells it like it is. He's compassionate without being unrealistic or condescending. I like his bedside manner a lot. He's not the type to sugar coat things or sit and hold your hand, but not everyone wants or needs that type of doctor. However, he will make sure you have answers to all your questions and explains each step.
Wait times are extensive, but when it is your turn, the care you receive somehow makes you forget the wait. Go into it open and willing to listen to options. However, don't feel like you need to do something you are not interested or comfortable doing.
ur priority was to get me ovulating. He used oral and injectable medications right away. When I questioned this, he said his experience showed a better outcome and gave me specific examples of how my case fit this protocol. He had "criteria" he explained about number of spontaneous ovulations in a year dictating if oral vs oral + injectable meds worked best. After 4 rounds of this with a surgery in the middle (adhesions were found), we decided to take a break from treatments. We were not ready to go to IVF and that was his recommendation. He said further IUIs would not be worth the cost for our situation because I was responding to the medications beautifully but still not conceiving. A few weeks later, I had a spontaneous pregnancy that ended up being in my tube. He treated me (doing betas, early ultrasound, basically treating me like I was still his patient even though I had technically said goodbye to him the month before). At this point I got the push I needed to pursue IVF. He provided details about our expected outcome of IVF stimulation - estimating the number of eggs. I appreciated that he said he gives each patient a personalized "low number" that he likes to see before he cancels a cycle. He detailed the lab side of things talking about when we would receive updates and what details would be provided. We discussed the benefits and negatives of doing a Freeze All vs a Fresh cycle. We chose a freeze all and it was a good choice for us because I responded well to the meds and would have been at risk for overstimulation otherwise. He provided a recommendation and fairly detailed reasons why when we were trying to determine if we should transfer 1 vs 2. For my FET, it was a long prep time. That is always a bummer to have MORE waiting after so long, but Dr M explained it all. Because of the crazy high hormone levels post-retrieval, I needed Lupron and birth control pills for a month or so. We started estrogen supplements and all seemed to go well, but then my body messed up and my lining was not good enough to transfer. We had to cancel and Dr. M promised me we'd get it right next go. He got me back on board really quick (we only lost 3 weeks) and added in IM estrogen shots because my body was metabolizing the oral estrogen too quick he said. He gave me a choice of progesterone options and we chose a combination of PIO and Crinone. He said he really liked this combo and had great results with it, but PIO alone was a cost effective solution. (He was sensitive to our finances in understanding we could not do all crinone due to cost). Our first transfer was a success.
e provided a price list (cash patient pricing) at my first visit for Timed Intercourse and IUI cycles ($500-$1500 depending on type of medication used and TI vs IUI) He provided a list of costs for IVF at my IVF consult appointment. ($10-12K depending on fresh vs frozen - FETs around $3K)
He used my age, the lab results, and finances to propose a recommendation for # of embyros to transfer. He said between my age and the lab results he really did not have a strong preference or suggestion. At nearly 36, he said two made a lot of sense (not genetic tested). Because our embryos looked so great in the lab and we had extras frozen, he said we should start with 1. Finally he did mention costs and if doing a 2nd transfer would be a large burden we should go with 2 as long as we were open to twins. After all that information he said his "soft recommendation" would be a single transfer, but he had no hesitations or judgement if we chose 2. (we did choose 2)
Austin Park Bend

[Austin Fertility Institute has] too many patients, too large of a waiting time. The staff is nice, professional and accommodating most of the time. Things may have changed as they have another doctor on staff, and I hope this doesn't mean they just took on more patients...the clinic wanted me to buy my IVF medicine before the teaching session. So I was supposed to shell out thousands of dollars for medicine and don't have a clue what is it for and if the amounts are appropriate. They should reverse the order of that.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Same as the nursing staff and doctor: too many patients, too large of a waiting time. The staff is nice, professional and accommodating most of the time. Things may have changed as they have another doctor on staff, and I hope this doesn't mean they just took on more patients.
His clinic is impossibly busy. Wait periods are anywhere from 30mins to two hours.
Weakness is the overall weakness of the clinic : too many patients in one day. No level of organization can handle that volume. Another thing the annoyed me: the clinic wanted me to buy my IVF medicine before the teaching session. So I was supposed to shell out thousands of dollars for medicine and don't have a clue what is it for and if the amounts are appropriate. They should reverse the order of that.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He is very competent and uses a straightforward language to describe his thought process. He is less accommodating about questions that do not exactly confirm his line of thinking. Examples: the question of when to inject sperm after the trigger in IUI. He says it doesn't matter, Cochrane review says the evidence is poor to asses the issue. He almost took offense with me when I mentioned that. I don't mean to be a nosy, know-all patient, but I have too many friends that are medical doctors to know that lots of issues are not as straightforward as some of them are trying to present them.
Bring your laptop and work in his office while waiting if you can. Be persistent in asking questions and don't take his reluctance to address ambiguities personally.
He used Femara + Folistin+Ovidrel for trigger for IUI. I did 4 IUI's with him. Number of mature eggs were 6-2-3-4 I had chemical pregnancy in my third try and pregnancy (and live birth) in my fourth try. For IVF, he used Femara + Folistin+ Menopure + Lupron for trigger. I had 18 eggs extracted, 13 were mature, 6 embryos survived to be PGS-ed, none of them was valid (all were aneuploid) He adjusted the dose once during my second IUI - that resulted in only two mature eggs.
$1500 per IUI, I don't remember exactly his fee for IVF. With failed IVF, I got two free IUI's.
Austin Park Bend
Scheduling appointments [at Austin Fertility Institute] and billing were super easy. Never felt like I was being upsold. The clinic they partner with is just next door and the team there was equally amazing, compassionate, and kind...[nurses] Incredibly friendly. Sometimes the blood draw was more painful than how I've experienced it elsewhere, but the folks were very friendly and the convenience was worth it. Calls were always returned within 24 hours, paperwork requested for financial assistance filled out in a timely manner, questions pleasantly answered.
Ashkenazi Jewish, Prefer not to answer
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Scheduling appointments and billing were super easy. Never felt like I was being upsold. The clinic they partner with is just next door and the team there was equally amazing, compassionate, and kind. We are incredibly grateful to the team at Viviere for how we were treated during my OHSS episode.
Dr. Crawford remembered exactly who we were each time we saw her - including what my career is and the fact that it might mean needing to schedule appointments at very specific times. She greeted us with a smile every time we saw her except for the times when we it was more appropriate to greet us with compassion during a difficult time in our treatment. I ended up being one of the "lucky" folks to suffer from severe OHSS (even though my #s did not indicate I would be at risk), and she did not rest until I was feeling better, including communicating with me at 6am. We always came in with a list of questions which were pleasantly answered, and yet Dr. Crawford managed to schedule her appointments with enough time inbetween to be respectful of our other time commitments - I rarely waited more than 15 minutes to be seen. They built their practice to recognize people have lives outside of this endeavor, making it possible to have blood drawn at their office rather than running around town. In addition to Dr. Crawford's incredible bedside manner, her support team was equally up to the task, answering questions with a pleasant demeanor, recognizing my severe needle anxiety and walking me through administrating it without judgment.
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
She is incredibly knowledgable, up to date in the latest research/technology/procedures, personable, and upbeat without giving a false sense of hope. Please see my comments under why I felt like a human for more specific examples.
Trust her. I didn't want to have the saline sonogram that she recommended because I had recently had an HSG performed elsewhere. While she was willing to work with me for 1 cycle without doing the sonogram as I was concerned about costs, I ultimately decided to trust her. Very glad I did as we found 2 uterine polyps that the HSG had not detected.
I forget the name of the protocol, but it included starting with birth control, then using Gonal F and menopur, later adding ganirelix, and using ovidrel as a trigger. This had to do with the fact that I ovulated regularly and she thought this would produce the highest quantity of eggs within a safe range. We ended up with 18 eggs harvested, 18 embryos being fertilized with ICSI, with 9 of them making it to day 5/6. We did a freeze all because even though my estrogen was below 3000, I still developed severe OHSS. We then elected to do a SET starting with Estrogen pill and patch and progesterone pill and crinone, switching to PIO after my progesterone levels were borderline (she likes them higher for IVF patients than what one might see if one conceived the old fashioned way to lower the risk of miscarriage.
Procedures and Physician Fees: Follicle Monitoring- $1500, Oocyte Aspiration- $1500, Embryo Transfer- $750. ICSI included. Storage for first year included; $500 year after that. Vivere Health: Lab fee- $5250, Anesthesia fee- $500, Oocyte Retrieval- $1250, Embryo Transfer- $1250 Frozen Embryo Transfer- Ultrasounds and labs- $750, Embryo Transfer- $750 Austin Fertility Lab fee- $500 Facility Fees- $1250 Meds were approximately $6k for retrieval cycle and approximately $2k for FET.
Describe Natalie Crawford's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Austin Fertility Institute.
She didn't seem to have a strong preference; she explained the statistical likelihood of different outcomes. We felt fairly strongly about only transferring 1 embryo given my age, size, and the statistics she presented to us.

PCOS, Tubal Blockage
It [Austin Fertility Institute] was overcrowded and wait times were very long. ... Need a bigger lobby. ... I believe ime organization is the only weakness that the facility had. ... I waited sometimes up to two hours in the waiting room. The doc is cery detailed so scheduling to that would help the wait time and the over crowdness in the waiting room. ... The nurses were so caring theoughout the whole process.
South Asian, Black or African-American
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Need a bigger lobby. It was overcrowded and wait times were very long. I believe ime organization is the only weakness that the facility had. I know the docs were stretched between two locations and that may have been the downfall. I waited sometimes up to two hours in the waiting room. The doc is cery detailed so scheduling to that would help the wait time and the over crowdness in the waiting room.
He cared for us, he worked payment plans out. He gave us extra medicine. He took time to help me understand what was happening and gave me hope.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
The nurses were so caring theoughout the whole process. We became friends with majority of all of them. They hugged me when I needed one, they smiled when I needed one and they were always a good sidekick to the doc.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He was loving and caring. When we first sat down in our consultation, we were given details of what was about to happen. When I knew I had to have my tubes removed, I was scared and nervous but he assured me it was for the best in achieving our goals. I needed a straight to the point realistic person and he gave that to me. Not only was facts given but his caring side kicked in. He worked with us on payments and made sure it wasnt only about money. We were helped out theough medicine and I cannot thank this doctor enough for caring so much.
Be prepared to be told the truth and accept it. Know that he means the best!
I went through different test, had polyps removed and my tibal litegation. Then we prepped for egg retrieval, that went very smoothly. We had 8 embryos make it to the proper stage. We did a fresh transfer the first round and it did not work. We then did a second transfer this time frozen, it worked but we miscarried. Having problems with progesterone shot. 3rd round we did blood thinners with progesterone shot with progesterone pills. I had a pregannacy with twins and delivered them at 26 weeks. Completley healthy girls
The first cycle was about 15,000 not including medicines and then 1500 each transfer after that not including medicine.
When we did the fresh he recommended only one since multiples is a mkre difficult pregancy for some. The cycles after he suggested two embryos.
Austin Park Bend

The office is quite busy, taking that into consideration I do feel I am known as a patient and there is specific focus on me and my case... The cost of being treated as a human, is all other patients are as well so there have been multiple occasions where the visits run long, which can put a time lag for other appointments.
The office is quite busy, taking that into consideration I do feel I am known as a patient and there is specific focus on me and my case at anytime with the Dr. He is able to recall previous visits and concerns and readdress them or casually comment on something unrelated to our visit that we share in common. The care team has always been attentive and truly seem to want to see this succeed as well. The cost of being treated as a human, is all other patients are as well so there have been multiple occasions where the visits run long, which can put a time lag for other appointments.
They seem to remember who I am and will always reiterate or further explain anything i need help remembering. They make the experience hospitable and are compassionate.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
I am still in the beginning stages of our treatment. Up until now, I feel he is extremely knowledgeable and truly is passionate about his field. He has been very educative on anything we were not clear on, taking other ways to provide clarity. The alternative would be a Dr. who would make a patient feel as if there was no need to explain since they likely wouldn't understand anyway. He is willing to explain something in as many ways necessary to bring you up to speed, as well as to ease any concerns, even if he has stated he isn't concerned with a particular issue for your case. He doesn't appear to hold anything back, which I think is great. For some he may seem too blunt, but really with an issue such as infertility there is no better way to get to the root of what treatment will be best and why. It's possible you may wait longer than you'd like for your appointment, but again he takes his time with whoever he is currently treating so that is a given and you are afforded the same. He has stayed as late as almost 8pm on a Fri evening just educating and answering questions for us. He has also provided direct access to him for anything outside of normal business hours should we need to reach him.
Understand that it's about your fertility, you have options and need understanding. He can provide that, and should. Don't expect an overly compassionate personality, he is an expert and is driven by data and how he can move forward. Expect appointments to run late, but know you won't be rushed either.
Austin Park Bend

The nursing staff [at Austin Fertility Institute] is well trained and really nice to work with. They were always able to answer my many questions patiently and compassionately...Strengths- compassionate, attention to detail, patient centered care, excellent medical expertise, organized office manager, strong communication from [Dr. Moghadam] and nurses Remember, sometimes you have to wait but Dr. M is well worth the wait!
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Strengths- compassionate, attention to detail, patient centered care, excellent medical expertise, organized office manager, strong communication from Dr. M and nurses Remember, sometimes you have to wait but Dr. M is well worth the wait!
Dr. M is the best at treating his patients like humans rather than numbers! His biggest strength is patient care. We could tell that he really did care about us.
The nursing staff is well trained and really nice to work with. They were always able to answer my many questions patiently and compassionately.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Dr. Moghadam is thorough, confident, and really takes the time to know and understand your situation. I think he keeps his practice more boutique like so he really can know and care for everyone who walks through the door. He is very skilled from a surgical perspective as well.
Sometimes you have to wait. This didn’t bother us too much because we knew we would get his full attention and a thoughtful conversation when we saw him. I would much rather wait than be rushed out the door and leaving with questions- this was never the case with Dr. M.
Antagonist protocol (gonal-f and menapur), Human Growth Hormone (HGH)- he decided on this protocol as it would be the least risky for me and would fit our timeline.
From what I remember, an IVF cycle NOT covered by insurance is a little over 20,000 (including PGS and PGD insurance).
We only had 1 embryo that passed PGD testing for an autosomal dominant disorder so we didn’t have the option to transfer more than 1.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Nurse [at Austin Fertility Institute] was compassionate and informative...$1250 for one IUI cycle. $500 for femara, follistim and ovidrel medications. $200 for consultation...Strengths: knowledgeable, informative-all the staff and both doctors are great. Weakness: waiting time up to 2 hours. Waiting times can be long due to the number of appts scheduled. Weekend wait time is on the longer end...We had to freeze a sperm sample due to partner being out of the state during the IUI time. Blood work 2 weeks after the IUI for confirmation of the pregnancy. I had attempted clomid with my ob/gyn without succes so we bypassed that. We are on the second cycle and attempting same course of action.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Dr Crawford and her staff are so warm and welcoming, even on the busiest of days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Nurse was compassionate and informative.
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
Dr Crawford is warm and caring. Me being a healthcare professional, she still explained every part of the procedure and answers all questions. She’s always positive and aggressive with treatment. She willing to work around schedules and offers great advice for timing issues.
Do some research into the actual procedures. You won’t know what questions to ask unless you know a little bit about infertility.
Ultrasound on cycle day 3. Femara oral on day 3-5. Follistim injections on day 4 and 5 then another ultrasound. Continued follistim day 6 & 7. Repeat ultrasound and IUI on day 14 of cycle. We had to freeze a sperm sample due to partner being out of the state during the IUI time. Blood work 2 weeks after the IUI for confirmation of the pregnancy. I had attempted clomid with my ob/gyn without succes so we bypassed that. We are on the second cycle and attempting same course of action.
None

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
[Austin Fertility Institute will transfer] One genetically normal embryo at a time. Two if unsure of genetic testing...I wish the wait times were less. I usually wait at least one full hour prior to being seen. I understand that many women have questions and are going through a lot, so one must be patient. Everyone is welcoming and informative. Dr. Moghadam really cares about his patients....Nursing staff is thorough and spends time discussing patient education and treatment flowsheets with me.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Dr. Moghadam always treats us with respect and keeps me in control of my fertility treatments.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Dr. Moghadam is a straight-shooter. He will not sugar coat what needs to be done for your treatment to get closer to your goal to start a family. The office is always busy, but he does take the time to sit down with you and thoroughly consider all options, involve patients in their own care, and genuinely wants to get you pregnant. He gives patients his personal cell phone and always answers no matter what time of night/weekend.
Do your homework before you arrive. He will talk fast, but thorough. It is recommended you understand the basis of fertility treatments and discuss with your partner what you are willing to do to achieve your goals.
3 IUI treatments: femara, follistim, ovidrel 2 IVF retrievals only: follistim, menopur, and a third one to keep me from ovulating.
IUI= $1400 plus stim meds ($500) IVF= $12,000, add pre-genetic testing = +$4,000, plus meds (+ $4,000)
One genetically normal embryo at a time. Two if unsure of genetic testing.
Austin Park Bend

The wait times at their North office [Austin Fertility Institute] can be very long! I think they overbook so prepare to wait an hour or more if you go on a busy day. The South office was great, I never waited and it was much more personable there!... All of the nurses I interacted with were very nice and caring, especially Jamie and Nicole who I saw the most. They care as much as the doctors do about each patient that comes through the office.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
The wait times at their North office can be very long! I think they overbook so prepare to wait an hour or more if you go on a busy day. The South office was great, I never waited and it was much more personable there!
Dr. M was very caring toward our situation and as upset as we were that I had not become pregnant during our treatments thus far.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Dr. M thoroughly explained everything every step of the way. From consultation to IuI he was there for us and made sure we knew what was happening. During my actual iui procedure he even reassured my worries that I had already ovulated by having the nurse show me that I hadn’t. He remembers every detail about us every time we go in.
If he is speaking too fast for you or you don’t understand something he says please make sure you ask him to repeat it!
Dr. M had me start on Letrozole day from days 3-7 and also combined it with the injectable Follistim from days 5-9. My body responded exactly as expected and I had to mature follicles. On my second iui I had the same protocol but my body didn’t responded as well so an extra day of Follistim was added and I think I still only had 1 mature follicle this time.
1500 per iui cycle with injectables. 250 for comsultation apppointment, 90 for semen analysis,

2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
They [Austin Fertility Institute] are all very knowledgeable of the fertility/infertility scenarios and know what is going on. However the waiting room wait time is very long. For some reason they are always behind on appointments and I’m not sure why.... I was told I would get a fertilization report on day 2 after my egg retrieval and I did not. I had to call them on day 3 for my day 2 report. The ball was dropped.... Around $20,000 for IVF.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
They are all very knowledgeable of the fertility/infertility scenarios and know what is going on. However the waiting room wait time is very long. For some reason they are always behind on appointments and I’m not sure why.
Rushed through a lot of appointments because he was so busy
They are nice and friendly but seem busy at times. Some times phone calls are not returned...that happened twice. Usually they do return calls within the same day.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He’s smart but bed side manner is lacking. He doesn’t sugar coat anything. He’s very blunt and tells it like it is. He does rush appointments sometimes and is often late to appointments. He knows what he’s doing but isn’t the most sincere doctor.
Be aware of bad bed side manner
My first IVF cycle was normal...by pills, then Lipton and then the stimulation drugs. When that didn’t work very well he went with the antagonist approach for the second and third times and we had to cancel our second time due to no response and we are in the middle of our third...so it seems to be ok so far.
Around $20,000 for IVF. That number includes medicines. My medicines were $6000, he takes a one time doctors fee so you don’t have to worry about that after the first time. IUI is $1500 but he offered us free IUIs and won’t chanrge us for another IUI until we leave his office 10 weeks pregnant
We only want one baby so he said he will only put in one embryo but because both our embryos were “fair” he put both in and neither took.
Austin Park Bend
Everyone in this clinic [Austin Fertility Inst] is very personable and on top of their game. ... everyone here was organized, knowledgeable, and attentive. As I mentioned before, the wait times can be excessive, but you will always feel taken care of and I believe that is important. ... Jaime was so kind and patient with me. She was in the room for every ultrasound that Dr. Moghadam completed, so she could answer most questions if I called later with a follow up.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Everyone in this clinic is very personable and on top of their game. There were always hiccups at other clinics that scared me away, everyone here was organized, knowledgeable, and attentive. As I mentioned before, the wait times can be excessive, but you will always feel taken care of and I believe that is important.
I have interviewed 8 Reproductive Endocrinologists. Dr. Moghadam is the only one that will do all of your ultrasounds and will be with you every step of the way. His care is completely different than the majority of REs. My cycle did not go as planned, but I knew that I received the best care possible, so the fault did not lie with him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Jaime)
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Dr. Moghadam is in this profession for the right reasons. He truly cares about each of his patients. He gave me as much time as I needed for each visit and would answer any question I had. He is a wonderful doctor.
You will have to wait a while in the waiting room, but that is because he gives so much attention to you once you are with him. I would prefer to wait than to be shuffled around between nurses as I have been in other clinics.
In all, we paid about 12k
It was my impression that Dr. Moghadam would prefer to do single embryo transfers, but was able to make the right call for each patient.

2 IVF, Donor Sperm
They [the nursing staff at Austin Fertility Institute] are all the sweetest ladies in the world. They treat you like family, and remember your name. My faves are Lisa, Priscilla, and Michelle.... I never felt like a number here, but the waiting was annoying. The doctor was late to every appointment.... In the beginning, I had someone advise me not to come in to my baseline appt. She said that I wouldn't be able to move forward with my IVF cycle due to low vitamin D levels. This was wrong; my spouse ended up calling the doctor on his cell phone and we proceeded with treatment.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
The only weakness is the long wait times. Their strengths are the personalized treatment and care. When your turn comes, you'll feel like the only patient they have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Lisa was sweet, Michelle & Priscilla, too)
They are all the sweetest ladies in the world. They treat you like family, and remember your name. My faves are Lisa, Priscilla, and Michelle.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
I felt that he was very honest, but also a pessimist. My IVF outcome was better than he predicted. Dr M mentioned cancelling my cycle again, but it turned out to be a great cycle. The doctor definitely knows what he is doing, and I would absolutely trust him with another IVF cycle, if necessary.
Be patient and trust him. He gives his patients one on one attention, therefore the waits are usually long.
I first started birth control and then the Antagonist Protocol. I took 75 menopur, and 375 Gonal F. The bcp over suppressed me, and we had to cancel that cycle on Day6. The next cycle, we left out the birth control pills and it was smooth sailing all the way. My prescription was the same, but this tine I showed ten good follicles, one was pretty dominant. The dominant follicle would have to be sacrificed, because the others were all pretty synchronized. We added Cetrotide to prevent ovulation and allow the others to grow. I ended up with 11 eggs, nine mature, nine fertilized normally. I'm very happy with the results.
I have fertility insurance, so I can't answer.
No comment here

2013 - 2014
Terribly long wait times [at Austin Fertility Institute], but the doctor takes as much time with you as you need. The wait time did add additional stress to an already stressful situation due to having to take off work. I liked that Dr. Moghadam talked me through each procedure and showed me via ultrasound what was happening. I found it very reassuring.... Plan to wait at least 2 hours for appointments.
2013 - 2014
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Terribly long wait times, but the doctor takes as much time with you as you need. The wait time did add additional stress to an already stressful situation due to having to take off work. I liked that Dr. Moghadam talked me through each procedure and showed me via ultrasound what was happening. I found it very reassuring.
Extremely long wait times, I sometimes felt like he pushed me towards more aggressive treatment that wasn’t needed.
Nursing staff seemed somewhat overwhelmed. I see a different doctor now and have a dedicated nurse, which I love.
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
I saw Dr. Moghadam for several cycles. The first on clomid did not induce ovulation, so he immediately encouraged me to begin injections and IUI. He finally suggested after 6 rounds of treatment I move to IVF. I got a second opinion from another doctor who wanted to try one clomid cycle at a higher dose with timed intercourse and I conceived on the first try. I have a son from that. We have tried this treatment since and I have not ovulated every time, though have not conceived. I feel if Dr. Moghadam had adjusted my medicine initially, I may have saved a lot of time and expense.
Plan to wait at least 2 hours for appointments.
Clomid, Injectibles
I was able to pay one set price for each cycle, rather than pay by appointment, which was nice. I believe an IUI was 1500 out of pocket, not including any medications, just visits.

Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
They [Austin Fertility Institute] work hard but appointments are typically late and IUI procedures are done after the 36 hour time line Strengths they are knowledgeable and helpful. They truly take their time with you and try to explain as much as possible.... [Cost Of Treatment] 1500 per cycle 3000 for surgery... This process is difficult! Every negative pregnancy test is draining. The doctor never analyzing the data taken from previous experience, calls you and makes a plan to be better.
European, East Asian, South Asian, Black or African-American, Native American
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
They work hard but appointments are typically late and IUI procedures are done after the 36 hour time line Strengths they are knowledgeable and helpful. They truly take their time with you and try to explain as much as possible.
This process is difficult! Every negative pregnancy test is draining. The doctor never analyzing the data taken from previous experience, calls you and makes a plan to be better. All they do is call you tell you your test is negative and say call is when your cycle begins. They offer no addition time to follow up with your doctor “only if you want to pay $300 dollars for a consultation.” But they never offer help or answers just opportunities to spend more money.
They were great just extremely routine
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He is an expert, very knowledgeable about his craft. He is a great doctor just wish they would offer a follow up visit after a negative test, instead of calling just saying call is when you start your next cycle
Ask questions and make sure your iui is done in a timely manner
All of my procedures were standard
1500 per cycle 3000 for surgery
Does not apply to me
Other, Unexplained
staff [at Austin Fertility] is kind of hard to get a hold of. Appointments are scheduled optimistically and frequently run late. Nursing line always goes to voicemail. They do call back and answer questions, but can never get a hold of them...cycles $500 per femara/intercourse. IUI $1500, IVF 10,000..Clinic is very helpful. It's kind of hard to trust the scheduling. Frequently runs late, but I think that's at least partially because they try to educate and fully answer questions. Care is always done well.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Very willing to talk and explain things and answer questions.
staff is kind of hard to get a hold of. Appointments are scheduled optimistically and frequently run late. Nursing line always goes to voicemail. They do call back and answer questions, but can never get a hold of them.
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
Very willing to work, trying to do the best outcomes. Sometimes had conflict about how far to push treatment and how quickly to scale up. I always felt like she was trying to do the very best. She tried to work around my schedule.
I wouldn't have any concern. The same as pretty much any other infertility doctor. I don't know that I would recommend her for someone that absolutely had to have kid glove treatment.
I used femara so far, to stimulate ovulation on the side that still had a fallopian tube, followed by intercourse. Have discussed other protocols but so far haven't tried that yet.
cycles $500 per femara/intercourse. IUI $1500, IVF 10,000
didn't try it yet.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
The long wait times [Austin Fertility Institute] sometimes an hour. He was running two locations and must have been stretched thin.... [Nurse] Jamie did a great job to make sure to communicate as much information and provided updates to me. She always asked me how I was doing and showed so much compassion.... $1500 for IUI medication and I don't recall the cost for the procedure as insurance covered most of it.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
The long wait times sometimes an hour. He was running two locations and must have been stretched thin. The doctor should be more open about potential issues as in how important lining is for implantation. How can you move forward with two IUIs with a patient without informing them that their lining was very thin?
At the first appointment, he took his time but appointments there after it was in and out after very long wait times.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
How was your experience with Kenneth Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He was the first fertility doctor I saw and when I did 2 iuis with him, he never mentioned that my lining was thin or try to change any protocols to help with the lining. I only found out by looking at my medical records.
To make sure you ask as many questions to ensure you are receiving the right care.