Genetic counseling: Offered
4303 James Casey St
Austin, TX 78745
300 Beardsley Ln
Austin, TX 78746
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine to a friend?

2016 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
The biggest complaint I have about this clinic [Austin Fertility] is communication with the billing personnel. There were some inconsistencies that were frustrating to deal with in the middle of hormone treatments and procedures. ... They have multiple locations, which can be helpful to those dealing with local traffic. Egg retrievals are done on site, so you don't have to travel to a surgery center. ... They have an ultrasound tech do a lot of the scans, so you will often see her before you see Amy or Dr. Kavoussi. She is friendly and highly skilled.
2016 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They have multiple locations, which can be helpful to those dealing with local traffic. Egg retrievals are done on site, so you don't have to travel to a surgery center. There has been turnover in office staff, so some of the staff are more skilled than others at handling your questions (props to Marisol and Kayla - they are always on the ball). They have an ultrasound tech do a lot of the scans, so you will often see her before you see Amy or Dr. Kavoussi. She is friendly and highly skilled. The biggest complaint I have about this clinic is communication with the billing personnel. There were some inconsistencies that were frustrating to deal with in the middle of hormone treatments and procedures. However, issues were often resolved with a phone call or email. Get your estimates in writing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shahryar K. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kavoussi is always available for questions. How he balances this with his incredibly busy practice has always baffled me. When call or email with questions, I get them very quickly. If I bring in research, he is willing to go over the information with me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
This is a bit of a mixed review as Kate is no longer with the practice and I had more experience working with her. Amy is the new NP, and she is still learning the ropes. But what she doesn't have in clinical experience, she more than makes up for in bedside manner. She is very quick to respond to questions/concerns and is willing to consult with Dr. Kavoussi if she needs to. She is very empathetic.
What specific things went wrong at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
How was your experience with Shahryar K. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
It does seem like treatments are rather cookie cutter for most patients to start. But, that's the nature of infertility - often the first cycle is more diagnostic than anything. Dr. Kavoussi has always been available, caring, and never insulted when I express concern for wanting to change my treatment protocol.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shahryar K. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be an advocate for your own care. Dr. Kavoussi is great, but he's also human. If you have a concern about something, then speak up. He will listen.
Describe the protocols Shahryar K. Kavoussi used in your cycles at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
First retrieval was 150 gonal f and 75 menopur. Second was 225 gonal f and 75 menopur. ICSI/PGS/FET. Due to PCOS, we have always been able to retrieve a lot of eggs. Recurrent pregnancy loss is the biggest factor we are facing with treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shahryar K. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
IUI is about $500. IVF with ICSI and biopsi was about 12k. SIS $500. Meds and genetic testing are more (~4k and 2k).
Describe Shahryar K. Kavoussi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
He is willing to transfer more than one euploid embryo, but is open about the risks of multiples.
Austin Westlake

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Shahryar K. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

2017 - 2019
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinic [Austin Fertility & Reproductive Med] is great!! It is nice and clean and not too big and impersonal. They do not schedule too many people at once and you don't usually wait more than 10 minutes. The James Casey location does not have much parking as it is located really close to a hospital however the Westlake office does. I prefer the Westlake office even though it is a little further drive for me.
2017 - 2019
European, Black or African-American
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is great!! It is nice and clean and not too big and impersonal. They do not schedule too many people at once and you don't usually wait more than 10 minutes. The James Casey location does not have much parking as it is located really close to a hospital however the Westlake office does. I prefer the Westlake office even though it is a little further drive for me.
Dr. Kavoussi and his staff are so friendly. I never felt uncomfortable from the first visit. Dr. Kavoussi himself never makes me feel he is in a hurry and he really is listening to me and my husband.
The office has a small nursing staff however they are all really friendly. They are gentle in their approach with you and I never felt judged. Dr. Kavoussi's right hand person is his nurse practitioner Kate. She moves 100 mph however she is really nice. Kate and Dr. Kavoussi make a great team.
Dr. S. Kavoussi is a very compassionate doctor. He really takes the time to listen and explain everything. He allows us to make our own decisions after he educates us. My favorite phrase he says is "I'm just trying to get you a baby I don't care how it happens." He is very knowledgeable and a great listener. I had to have a surgical procedure and I was really nervous as I had never had any hospitalizations or surgeries before. He reassured me all the way through it. On the day of the procedure (at a surgery center) I was a nervous wreck until he walked in the room. I can't sing his praises enough. I will refer everyone I know who lives in this area and needs his services to him.
Relax you are in great hands!!
Austin Westlake

The clinic [Austin Fertility & Reproductive Med] overall does a great job with flexible scheduling, responding quickly, writing letters for you as needed for grants or insurance, and always being on call in case of emergencies or just panic attacks.... I could go in for monitoring when it was convenient for me - as long as it was on the day I needed to go.... The only thing I had go wrong was when a nurse was showing me how to give myself injections and at first she had no idea whether I had done stim before or not, indicating that she had not read my chart carefully.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic overall does a great job with flexible scheduling, responding quickly, writing letters for you as needed for grants or insurance, and always being on call in case of emergencies or just panic attacks. Both Dr. S and Dr. P are staggeringly kind. And they never make you feel like a "bother". The only thing I wish they would improve on is their billing system. Their invoices don't really make much sense and I would like to have clear details to keep track of. Their fee breakdown sheets could use improvement as well.
Since our problem was male factor, we began with his brother Dr. Parviz Kavoussi. Both are amazing doctors. Kind, understanding, up on research, intelligent, and honest. I also appreciated that they spoke to me like a professional. I have experience researching endocrine systems and didn't need things to be put in laymen terms. They *heard* me and we conversed on a level I felt appropriate. I was encouraged to ask questions always and could call night or day, any time, if I had concerns during the process. Also, my husband is an immigrant who is shy with his English. They never made him feel unwelcome or stupid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kate)
Kate is very no nonsense, with a heart of gold. I have cried in her arms, I have pushed her with question after question, I have emailed her at all hours of the night. She is amazing. I always felt like she CARED about me as a person. She would ask me what was wrong if she could tell that I was "off". And I never felt rushed. She always asked "What questions do you have?" "What else do you need from me?" Kate is very compassionate.
What specific things went wrong at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr, Kavoussi is a caring man with a huge heart. He is clearly committed to the success of every patient who walks through the door. He is kind with his approach, but he doesn't sugar coat things. And he knows what he is doing. Not only does he have decades of experience, but he stays current on all research. I could easily discuss papers with him that had just been published within several months. I felt like I had a great coach, leading the team to victory. And although he was not at every appointment, if I wanted to see him, I could. He didn't hide in an ivory tower - he was down in the trenches with you.
Do your research beforehand and come with lots of questions because he wants to answer them. Take charge of your care, Dr. SK will not be offended, he will appreciate your dedicated interest in your own protocol.
Since our only issue is male factor (that cannot be reversed with medication) we had to do a full IVF cycle. Although, Dr. PK did allow us to try clomid for 3 months, just in case, which we appreciated. My hormonal values all showed normal for my age, with my AMH above average. We initially tried starting me on birth control, but both months I ovulated anyway. We decided that birth control was not a viable option for me. Additionally, we found polyps at a saline ultrasound and paused our start date to remove them. My stim protocol was moderately aggressive for my values, due to my age (37). We did have to adjust my use of ganirelix (started it early) because my body was wanting to ovulate sooner than my eggs would be ready. We also extended my stimulation shots by two days. At retrieval we got 14 eggs, but only 6 of them were mature. If we ever need to do another retrieval, we will use a double trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
~$3,500 for a Micr-TESE, ~$9,000 for egg retrieval and fresh transfer,~$3000 for a frozen transfer, $250 each for post positive beta ultrasounds - no medications included. If things were "medical" they were billed to my insurance so I paid as little as possible.
Dr. Kavoussi says it is our decision. For women over 35 he recommends two, but ultimately it was our call.
Austin Westlake

I never waited long [at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] to see the doctor. I saw the doctor 99% of the time. There was only 1 IUI that i did not see the doctor and it was on a Sunday and I believe he was off that day. However, the experience with her was fantastic as well. I never felt like another numbered patient walking through the door...The nursing staff was so great! They did a really great job in picking their team. They were all very knowlegable in the procedures, their office, etc. I was thankful for the nurses!
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They only do one IUI at a time. I never waited long to see the doctor. I saw the doctor 99% of the time. There was only 1 IUI that i did not see the doctor and it was on a Sunday and I believe he was off that day. However, the experience with her was fantastic as well. I never felt like another numbered patient walking through the door.
He was very caring and understanding. He was genuinely sad when things did not work out and very happy when I got my positive. He personally called me multiple times to talk to me about results and such.
Dr Kavoussi was very kind hearted, passionate about his job, but treated me like I was someone he truly cared to help. I was not just another person walking through his door. I could ask him any question and he had a great answer for each and everyone. I was sad to leave when I did, but also so happy that he was able to get me to the point of graduating from his clinic.
Absolutely ask questions. He is extremely knowlegable and he wants you to ask away so you are fully aware of what to expect.
I tried a few monitored medicated cycles with attempting to get pregnant naturally. With that being unsuccessful, we finally got my husband on board to do a sample test. It turns out that not only my PCOS was causing a hard time, but so was his agglutination. He completed a second test to confirm agglutination. Once we confirmed that, Dr. Kavoussi said that we were a good candidate for IUI. We jumped right in with a medicated cycle of 2.5mg of Femara. We then triggered with Ovidrel when my follicles were 20mm. I had 2 ready to go. Then 24 hours later, we did our IUI. 14 days later, it was negative. The second IUI was the same, except we did not do Ovidrel. I ovulated on my own with 22mm follicles due to my husband being out of town earlier. Thankfully he came home the night before IUI and it turned out that it was great timing! We got our positive pregnancy test 14 days post IUI.
Each ultrasound cost around $180. IUI was around $450. Thankfully my insurance covered fertility treatments, so I believe these are prior to insurance.
We did not do embryo transfer, so I am unsure.
2014 - 2017
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
I love Kate [nurse at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] She is efficient but kind. We got to know each other well over our years in treatment, and she goes out of her way to e-mail, text, or even see you on a weekend if necessary. She is Dr. K's right hand woman, and is extremely well-versed in the details and science behind the treatment...Some of the front desk staff/medical assistants are better than others. The vast majority were great. Comparable or better than most medical offices.
2014 - 2017
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We adore Dr. Kavoussi. From my very first appointment, I appreciated his warmth, candor, level of detail, and authenticity. I am a "high information" patient, and wanted the nitty gritty scientific details. He never talked down to me, and appreciated/encouraged my frequent research and questions. We experienced two tragic losses, and always felt that Dr. K, Kate, and the entire practice genuinely grieved with us, hoped the best for us, and prayed/rooted for us. WE LOVE Dr. K. and this practice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kate Odenwald)
I love Kate. She is efficient but kind. We got to know each other well over our years in treatment, and she goes out of her way to e-mail, text, or even see you on a weekend if necessary. She is Dr. K's right hand woman, and is extremely well-versed in the details and science behind the treatment.
Dr. Kavoussi is the kindest doctor I've ever seen as a patient. He combines compassion and personal attention with extreme attention to detail and as much or as little medical information/explanation as you want--which in our case was a lot. He always took time to listen, answer questions, draw diagrams if need be, and explain risks. We underwent 7 medicated cycles (6 TI, 1 IUI), and achieved two pregnancies from two of them. Unfortunately my DOR and poor egg quality led to two trisomy-related losses. The office could not have been kinder to us during these difficult times. I had two hysteroscopic surgeries along the way, which Dr. K personally performed. Again, his level of care, detail, and bedside manner were unmatched. After our second loss, we went on to IVF with PGS. Our first antagonist cycle produced 6 eggs, all of which fertilized abnormally. Our second Microdose Lupron cycle produced 10 eggs and 2 blastocysts, both of which came back PGS Abnormal. We were not willing to undergo another OE cycle, and we appreciate and respect that the doctor was honest and realistic about our statistical chances. He always called personally with bad news. He always called personally to congratulate good news. He always called personally to follow up and check in after a loss. He is a truly good man. We ultimately pursued DE overseas, as we could not afford it in the US. Dr. Kavoussi and his practice were still with us every step of the way, supporting our choice and providing local monitoring care. When we were successful (currently in 2nd trimester) with our first DE transfer, they were all over the moon overjoyed for us. Even though we never achieved a healthy take-home baby with this practice, we would not change a thing, and are so very grateful for them.
Morning appointments are only at Westlake. Afternoon appointments are only at James Casey. Sometimes there can be a wait, as with many offices. If you have an appointment early in the AM, you'll be seen quickly. Come with questions: they'll answer them.
Medicated cycles: 7.5 letrazole with ovridel trigger shot--each time, the plan was three cycles of this before moving on to more aggressive approach, and each time we got pregnant on the 3rd cycle. (The 1st one was a throw-away, as my HSG came back with polyps in the middle of that cycle, requiring surgery before trying again.) IVF with ICSI #1: 300 gonal-f, 75 menopur, cetrotide antagonist cycle. This was the recommended 1st place to start based on my AMH. (They wouldn't have done a long lupron cycle.) 6 mature eggs. All fertilized abnormally. IVF with ICSI #2: 300 gonal-f, 150 menopur, microdose lupron -- all in divided doses 2x a day. 10 eggs, 2 mature, both fertilized and made it to blast. Both PGS abnormal.
It certainly isn't cheap, but this is infertility: It's expensive. I was very fortunate to have my insurance change and cover infertility coverage part-way through my treatment--which enabled us to do IVF. From my perspective, costs were average for this city. Self-pay costs ARE cheaper than insured/negotiated costs.
If we had had embryos of my own eggs to transfer, Dr. K would have supported multiple transfer. However, when we discussed donor eggs, he was very realistic about the chances of multiples, and supported our choice to do eSET.

2013 - 2017
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
When we first arrived, compared to our previous clinic, this one [Austin Fertility and Reproductive Med] felt a little bit “bare bones”. It wasn’t flashy or fancy, and felt very bland and plain. But the facility is extremely clean and comfortable, and in a great location. And I’ll trade the quality of care for a fancy office any day!... Kate is amazing! She’s caring and knowledgeable, kind and whip smart. Any time Kavoussi wasn’t available right away, she was competent and helpful in the same way. I never felt like I left without getting the best care. She’s also super sweet!
2013 - 2017
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
When we first arrived, compared to our previous clinic, this one felt a little bit “bare bones”. It wasn’t flashy or fancy, and felt very bland and plain. But the facility is extremely clean and comfortable, and in a great location. And I’ll trade the quality of care for a fancy office any day!
He is one of the kindest people you’ll ever meet. He takes his time explaining everything, he looks at you in the eye, makes calls to your himself, and becomes invested in your journey even after. He is gentle and caring, informative and honest, and a calm presence.
We had previously been with a doctor that couldn’t care less about us. We were just money to him. When we switched clinics we instantly knew we’d made the right choice. Kavoussi was present at every appointment in some way. Always remembering intimate details of our life. He took all the time in the world with us and never made us feel rushed or like he wanted to leave. He made me feel seen, heard, and understood. Our first cycle with him gave us our son, and I will always be forever grateful. We have been to him several times in the last 4 years for a sibling, and while it was not in the cards for us (my eggs to a turn), he was incredible during every step. When 2 of our cycles were canceled or didn’t make it to transfer, he called me himself to give me the news. He took time on his day off to meet with us and go over the cycles. And was available to us when we needed him. He also performed my endometriosis surgery and took such amazing care of me, checking on me himself the next day and then meeting me to go over his findings, something my previous doctor didn’t do. He truly is a kind kind man, who has our best interest at heart. He will not push for extra treatments and will give you the straight answer every time.
He is the best thing that’s happened for us during this journey. You’ll receive kindness, compassion, and all the information you need.
When we first met with him, he looked over our past records and immediately told me we would no longer be doing surgery for endometriosis. He felt like being aggressive would not help and that going straight to IVF would give us our best chances. We did a fresh cycle using Gonal F and Lupron. We were very aggressive with medication and I stimmed incredibly well that cycle. We retrieved 17 egg, and transferred 3 beautiful embryos which gave us our son. The other 2 embryos we had left didn’t survive the freezing process. Since I gave birth to my son, we have gone back for 2 more cycles with a similar protocol. Unfortunately my eggs declined very badly, and after the second cycle ending in not being able to transfer (I didn’t even have 1 healthy egg at retrieval), he told us that egg donation may be our best bet at this point. He advised us that he didn’t want to keep putting me through this, and it wasn’t looking good for my own eggs. Since then, my endometriosis went from bad to worse and I had to get a large cyst removed. He performed the surgery for me and did a fantastic job of leaving me pain free and almost recovered in a few days. In the past with other doctors, that surgery was incredibly difficult to recover from. I don’t know how he did it, but he was very delicate! I’m now in the process of an embryo adoption/donation, and he’s handling half of my care. He’s been wonderful and incredibly invested in my journey, even as I work with a clinic out of state.
I think after all was said and done, it was 15-17k per cycle including medication. But we did receive discounts after our first cycle for returning.
He does this on a case by case basis. When we came in he was a big proponent for only transferring 1 to 2 at the most. But with my history, the endometriosis, and the quality of embryos we had, he changed the course and felt comfortable advising us to use the 3 we had. He informed us of all the risks and had a ton of information that pertained to my individual situation, to help us decide. Ultimately it was up to us to make the choice.
Austin Westlake

Financial payment [at Austin Fert] is due in full prior to beginning a cycle( prior to initiation of birth control). Pricing is in the form of "packages" and portions of unused packages will not be refunded under ANY circumstance. If your cycle is cancelled, or converted to an FET, you will not receive a refund or credit for the unused portions of treatment. You will be expected to pay the full amount of both cycles. Debra, the financial coordinator is unorganized, and takes an unacceptable amount of time to respond to concerns, or provide requested information. There is a high turnover rate among clinical support staff. Wait times are often lengthy. Overall, doctors are compassionate in their work, however the practice is lacking...
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Financial payment is due in full prior to beginning a cycle( prior to initiation of birth control). Pricing is in the form of "packages" and portions of unused packages will not be refunded under ANY circumstance. If your cycle is cancelled, or converted to an FET, you will not receive a refund or credit for the unused portions of treatment. You will be expected to pay the full amount of both cycles. Debra, the financial coordinator is unorganized, and takes an unacceptable amount of time to respond to concerns, or provide requested information. There is a high turnover rate among clinical support staff. Wait times are often lengthy. Overall, doctors are compassionate in their work, however the practice is lacking, and a poor rate of success should be noted while researching clinics. I would recommend another facility, and have since obtained a second opinion with another Reproductive Endocrinologist.
Dr. Kavoussi had great bedside manner, however, the administrative staff and financial staff were unprofessional.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kate Odenwald )
Clinic was very busy. Kate did most times reply to concerns and emails in a time efficient manner.
What specific things went wrong at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kavoussi had great bedside manner, however, after two failed cycles, was reluctant to make any significant changes to protocol in order to hopefully achieve successful results. When inquiring about further testing, he was not open to such and encouraged to continue the same protocol and hope for success. If you're lucky to have IVF be successful on a first cycle, you will be in good hands here. However, if you'd like to maximize your chance for success and decrease the amount of money, and emotional and physical stress, I'd suggest to go elsewhere.
Be prepared for a lengthy amount of time and multiple treatment cycles to hopefully achieve a successful pregnancy.
Gonal F and Menopur were the gold standard for stim medications. Standard dosage was 225IU OF Gonal F and 75IU of Menopur.
Clinical fee: $3,990 IVF Lab fee: $5,850 Total IVF cycle fee: $9,840 Embryo cryopreservation: $775 Additional charges: ICSI (&lt;/=10 eggs): $1,300 ICSI (&gt;10 eggs): $1,800 TESE: $1,600 SIS: $500 Costs due not include medication costs, which can be $3,000-$6,000 depending on protocol. Blood tests are additional charges, sometimes covered by insurance. FET Cycle: Clinical Fee: $1,490 West lake IVF Lab fee: $1,890 Total fees: $3,380 Consults and prenatal sonograms are not included in above costs.
Dr. Kavoussi recommended transferring 2 blastocysts. We were in agreement with this plan, however neither resulted in a positive pregnancy test.
Austin Westlake

Only two [Austin Fert Repro Med - W'lake] locations - south side of Austin and Westlake. Not convenient locations at all! The south side clinic is very small and run down. The west lake one is fairly newer but still not that impressive. We had to travel to the Westlake office for our IUI procedures...I mostly dealt with [nurse] Kate with my IUI and ultrasounds. She was great up until they denied me a cycle and then she looked at me like I was crazy for asking if we could go ahead with our cycle despite the fact we had 5 follicles. No compassion or understanding...
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Only two locations- south side of Austin and Westlake. Not convenient locations at all! The south side clinic is very small and run down. The west lake one is fairly newer but still not that impressive. We had to travel to the Westlake office for our IUI procedures.
Dr K was not at all interested in diagnostics. I was immediately immersed into treatment with fertility meds and IUI. He didn't see the need to dig deeper. I was just another patient
I mostly dealt with Kate with my IUI and ultrasounds. She was great up until they denied me a cycle and then she looked at me like I was crazy for asking if we could go ahead with our cycle despite the fact we had 5 follicles. No compassion or understanding.
Not only was I just another patient, he also denied me an IUI cycle because I produced too many eggs. I understand the risks associated but he sat me down and had the most inauthentic conversation with me. He obviously didn't truly understand what I was feeling and just cared about the risks it posed for him not me. He also never asked to see my radiology scans of my HSG, if he had, he would have seen that I had a uterine septum that needed to be surgically removed. That is what my current Doctor did during my first consult. She also found a polyp in my uterus as well. She believes one if not both of these could be causing our fertility issues. IUI wasn't going to work and IVF probably wouldn't have either with these issues and I would have continued to pay DR K with no chance of conception.
Expect to be treated as a number. Just another patient treated the same way. He won't be interested in digging deeper.
5 mg of Femara- produced too many eggs 4-5 follicles Down to half 2.5 mg of Femara- still produced 3 follicles. Ovidrel with both cycles No pregnancies
My insurance covered nothing so we paid out of pocket for everything. I believe we paid about $565 for IUI and then $100 for Ovidrel and $5 for Femara. His consult fee was about $150
Austin Westlake

It was clear that this clinic [Austin Fertility & Repro Med] is experts in the fertility field. They are also well-organized and efficient. ... They were prompt, took time to explain things, answered all of our questions, had flexible scheduling. ... Someone always answered my phone calls and was able to answer questions immediatly, or have an answer from the doctor within a few short hours. They take time to discuss everything with you.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It was clear that this clinic is experts in the fertility field. They are also well-organized and efficient. This is important as we were traveling 50 minutes one-way to the clinic while working full-time. They were prompt, took time to explain things, answered all of our questions, had flexible scheduling. I have no negative things to say about them.
As someone who works in sales, my job for 17 years has been reading people and both verbal and non-verbal communication. You are treated so kindly here. The doctor and his staff are available for questions and to explain treatment, quick turn around on phone calls/questions, and I know this sounds silly, but Dr. K has kindness in his mannerisms and eyes.
AMAZING. I will never forget the day we left the clinic and "graduated" to our regular OB/GYN in my firs trimester. It was a big deal to us. We were emotional due to the journey and so appreciative of the care we'd received that my husband and I were both crying. The staff was doing the same thing by our side. We are so thankful for them.
I had a really bad experience with my first fertility doctor and moving to this clinic was the best decision I made regarding treatment. Someone always answered my phone calls and was able to answer questions immediatly, or have an answer from the doctor within a few short hours. They take time to discuss everything with you. We becamse so close with the staff that when we graduated to our OB/GYN during the pregnancy, they were crying in celebration alongside with us. They honestly care and it shows.
Don't overthink or second guess, go ahead and schedule a consultation.
I did two IUI's with Dr. K. I apologize, but do not remember exact protocols. We did injections, clomid, and a trigger shot. My son is now two. I 100% followed the protocol that was given to my husband and I by Dr. K. He is an expert and knows what he is doing.

2013 - 2015
The clinic [Austin Fertility] was well organized like a well oiled machine. The staff was kind and compassionate. The billing coordinator seemed on the fritz but was able to execute her job.... The billing clerk wasn't always clear on our bill because we did quailify for some discounts with additional cycles. She has to email several times to get things clarified before payment. She seemed a little disorganized.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was well organized like a well oiled machine. The staff was kind and compassionate. The billing coordinator seemed on the fritz but was able to execute her job.
Dr. K was very kind. He took his time in making sure we understood his game plan and answered all of our questions. He was genuinely disappointed when our cycles did not succeed and he personally called us to let us know the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: DeAnna Peterson)
The nurses and coordinator were very helpful, answered all questions and showed much compassion. The billing coordinator was very scatterbrained.
What specific things went wrong at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
We felt that Dr. K was the right choice after our first meeting. His brother Parvis performed the successful sperm retrieval and referred us. He was kind and took our concerns to heart. I was only 26 when we started the process and had no concerns about my fertility but had to perform IVF because of male factor issues. He made us feel confident that we had a great chance to conceive and he did not foresee any problems and that is was up to God. So when the first cycle failed we felt safe continuing to see him to find success. He did not change our cycle much the 2nd round and it also was unsuccessful. He did change the cycle protocol the 3rd round but it also was unsuccessful. Looking back, I wish he had done some testing to see if there was an underlying issue for our lack of success. We spent $42K for 3 failed cycles.
If you have concerns, ask many questions and ask for additional testing if you feel it nescessary.
Cycle 1 - 26 years old with healthy eggs. He chose a conservative route to avoid overstimulation of the ovaries due to my age and overall great fertility. 30 days contraceptive pill 11 days 10 IU Lupron 8 days 5 IU Lupron, 75 IU Menopur, 225 IU Follistim 4 Uterine Ultrasounds 10000 IU Pregnyl HCG shot Egg Retrival for Fresh Transfer (3 eggs, 1 valid embryo at 3 days) Vivelle .1 mg patch and Pregesterone suppositories for 2 weeks 3 day Embryo Transfer (one embryo) Negative Test after 2 weeks Cycle 2 - 27 years old. He felt that the 1st negative cycle was just part of nature and that the protocol was effective for a 2nd cycle. 30 days contraceptive pill 11 days 10 IU Lupron 8 days 5 IU Lupron, 75 IU Menopur, 225 IU Follistim 4 Uterine Ultrasounds 10000 IU Pregnyl HCG shot Egg Retrival for Fresh Transfer Vivelle .1 mg patch and Pregesterone suppositories for 2 weeks 3 day Embryo Transfer (2 embryo) Negative Cycle 3- 28 years old with some finished egg reserve. He increased my stimulant hormones because of the egg reserve. We transferred 3 embryos to increase chances of pregnancy. 30 days contraceptive pill 8 days 75 IU Menopur and 300 IU Bravelle 4 Uterine Ultrasounds 10000 IU Ganerelix HCG shot Egg Retrival for Fresh Transfer Vivelle .1 mg patch and Pregesterone suppositories for 2 weeks 3 day Embryo Transfer (3 embryos) Negative Test after 2 weeks
Cycle 1 - $3590 Physician Fee, $5350 Lab Fee, $1000 ISCI, $800 Meds Cycle 2 - $1020 Physician Fee, $5975 Lab + ISCI, $1200 Meds Cycle 3 - $1134 Physician Fee, $5980 Lab Fee + ISCI + Assisted Hatching, $3500 Meds
He gave us statistics for his office on singleton, twins and triplets based on how many embryos transferred. He explained embryo grading. He did not feel it was appropriate in most cases to transfer more than 2 embryos.
Austin Westlake

Like an IVF cycles, this is a big time commitment. They [Austin Fertility Reproductive Medicine] have a Westlake and South office which helps, though for folks with jobs up North traffic can get interesting.... Got an easy to understand breakdown of costs, medications, procedures, etc.... He never rushed appointments, answered all my questions, and empathized greatly. He appreciated the intensity and the emotions around this experience, and we felt like he truly cared.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Like an IVF cycles, this is a big time commitment. They have a Westlake and South office which helps, though for folks with jobs up North traffic can get interesting.
He was a kind, comprehensive, well-informed doctor. He went through all the pros and cons, and showed great compassion. The only con I'd say is he was very confident, and unfortunately our journey resulted in being the .01% more often than I'd like. That said I'd say that had to do more with the realities of infertility, not our doctor, and in the end we have our healthy son and a few frozen embryos. I trust him and his practice, and we will return again.
Don't hesitate to ask questions, he will answer them and wants you to feel as comfortable as possible in this process.
My protocol didn't result in any negative side effects for me.
Got an easy to understand breakdown of costs, medications, procedures, etc.
For our first cycle they had strong feelings for 2 embryos, but respected that I wanted to do a single embryo transfer. In all discussions about future cycles, they have been supportive of doing a single transfer as well.

2013 - 2015
Nursing staff and coordinator [at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] were amazing. They helped me find the cheapest medications and helped with samples. The payment coordinator was a little scatter brained...Dr. K[avoussi] was very kind and answered any questions we had. He personally called when our results were negative and had personal disappointment in his voice.
2013 - 2015
Dr. K was very kind and answered any questions we had. He personally called when our results were negative and had personal disappointment in his voice.
Nursing staff and coordinator were amazing. They helped me find the cheapest medications and helped with samples. The payment coordinator was a little scatter brained.
Dr. K always made us feel welcome. He explained each cycle fully and was genuinely disappointed when the cycles were negative. My only complaint would be the lack of investigation into why the cycles failed. He always attributed it to the average success rates and didn't do any more investigation as to why our embryos never implanted.
Ask what is game plan is if the cycle doesn't work. What will you do differently the subsequent cycles?
Austin Westlake

All of the staff [at Austin Fert Repro Med - W'lake] is personable and caring. They seem well trained and well informed and genuinely to enjoy what they are doing...Do not be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem dumb...
Dr.. Khavoussi is a very caring doctor who spends a lot of time making his patients feel informed and in control of the process. He is always available for calls, even when the clinic is closed. He genuinely wants his patients to be happy and do well.
All of the staff is personable and caring. They seem well trained and well informed and genuinely to enjoy what they are doing.
What specific things went wrong at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kavoussi is very well informed and seems to work hard to keep up with the literature and the latest studies. He is a caring man and takes a great deal of time to help patients understand the process and make decisions regarding their care.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem dumb.
Austin Westlake

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr Shahryar Kavoussi] is wonderful. He prays for us! And when things go wrong he is always there to talk and give hugs...Don't know the name of first protocol but second one worked. Micro dose Lupron got me to retrieval! He was unsure we would make it to the end but stuck with us and we did. Had to freeze all but that's because of a fibroid I have.
I love going into office. All staff is wonderful and I have always felt welcome.
Love her!! I don't think we could have made it through each step without her. Very friendly and available for hugs too!!
He is wonderful. He prays for us! And when things go wrong he is always there to talk and give hugs
Waiting room times are short, staff is amazing, and facility super clean.
Austin Westlake

Kate [my nurse] was extremely responsive, positive and friendly. If you needed a pep talk, Kate was there to give it to you. She was almost like a coach.
Dr. K was straightforward and took care of all our concerns. He was both realistic but very compassionate.
Kate was extremely responsive, positive and friendly. If you needed a pep talk, Kate was there to give it to you. She was almost like a coach.
Dr. K was great from all angles. He's quite conservative and aims for positive outcomes but generally will avoid more extreme procedures.
Know that while very compassionate that he is quite conservative in his treatment.

2015 - 2019
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
11,000 [cost of] bilateral tubal reversal [at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] Other clomid and hcg injections and ultrasounds several thousand...West lake office nice and clean. Lab facility and advanced technology there. He sedated me in the office for a cyst drainage. Billing was also straightforward and cost was known upfront. Medical assistants are kind...Communication [from the nurses] was great. Encouraged us greatly.
2015 - 2019
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
West lake office nice and clean. Lab facility and advanced technology there. He sedated me in the office for a cyst drainage. Billing was also straightforward and cost was known upfront. Medical assistants are kind .
I started with Dr. Kavoussi and ended up remaining after second opinions. Even with 1 ectopic and 1 miscarriage. After exhausting funds I got pregnant naturally, but it resulted in a miscarriage. He called me personally after. He also treated my out of state with an ectopic pregnancy. He calls and text me and truly wants my husband and I to succeed even when we feel hopeless.
Communication was great. Encouraged us greatly.
Kind and communication is great with myself and my obgyn. He goes the extra mile! He has vast knowledge in fertility. He explains in great details and follows up well! I feel well taken care of, just frustrated with the financial piece.
Since I’m a nurse, I refer to him all the time. I tell people he is kind and thorough.
With my amh 0.36 and still in my 30’s I would still have viable eggs with ovulation. I was diagnosed with pcos and I just make cyst. Trying metformin helped with the higher doses of clomid.
11,000 bilateral tubal reversal Other clomid and hcg injections and ultrasounds several thousand.
No, can not afford ivf.
Austin Westlake

Clinic [Austin Fertility & Repro Med-Austin Westlake] moved fast and got us in close to our appointment time. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. It was a long drive for every appointment, so they were respectful of my time. I did not have any issues with financials or billing... Roughly $12k for the cycle without meds, and those were about $4k... Doctor had a preference for single embryo, but was ok with a double embryo transfer which is what we did
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic moved fast and got us in close to our appointment time. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. It was a long drive for every appointment, so they were respectful of my time. I did not have any issues with financials or billing
We had a great experience with Dr. Kavoussi and his staff. He has an extremely optimistic disposition, so that helps to feel confident that we would have a good outcome. He explained things thoroughly and helped us understand why we were doing what we were doing.
Don’t be afraid to ask him questions
Roughly $12k for the cycle without meds, and those were about $4k
Austin Westlake

They [Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine] treat you like a number not a human. You will almost never see a doctor. They will have no compassion for your circumstances. They will get annoyed when you are emotional. They will not go above and beyond for you.... In a year, I only saw the doctor [Dr. KM Kavoussi] three times. He only performed one ultrasound himself. He never ran standard tests so he never found my uterine septum which needed to be removed. I felt like a number not a human being
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They treat you like a number not a human. You will almost never see a doctor. They will have no compassion for your circumstances. They will get annoyed when you are emotional. They will not go above and beyond for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with K.M. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
In a year, I only saw the doctor 3 times.
They had no compassionate n whatsoever for what in as going through.
What specific things went wrong at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
How was your experience with K.M. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
In a year, I only saw the doctor three times. He only performed one ultrasound himself. He never ran standard tests so he never found my uterine septum which needed to be removed. I felt like a number not a human being.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of K.M. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Go somewhere else.
Describe the protocols K.M. Kavoussi used in your cycles at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I used Clomid / Femara and IUIs. It never worked.
Describe the costs associated with your care under K.M. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Partially covered by insurance.
K.M. Kavoussi
Austin Westlake

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with K.M. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.