Baylor / Texas Childrens

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Department of Urology
6624 Fannin
Houston, Texas 77030
713-798-4001
6651 Main Street
Houston, TX 77030
832-826-7500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Baylor / Texas Childrens to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 2Neutral: 3Don't recommend: 17.5
6 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
never sent to speak with financial conuselor [at Baylor/Texas Childrens]...Hard to get trough to them. Old prerecorded message that goes on for a long time before you can talk to someone. Very limited doctors appointments and most of not all are midday with no sympathy to working women.... I have to call and ask for results instead of having them readily available. They allow other medical staff to practice on you, regardless of the pain it may cause you and do so without warning. It is very difficult to get appointments.
6 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Baylor / Texas Childrens.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Gibbons at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
Frequently the clinic has to be reminded of things such as an increase in medication dose that needed to be called to my pharmacy. I was talked down to until they realized that I was indeed correct, and the doctor did want to increase meds with the next round. I have to call and ask for results instead of having them readily available. They allow other medical staff to practice on you, regardless of the pain it may cause you and do so without warning. It is very difficult to get appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Baylor / Texas Childrens. (Assigned nurse: Polly )
No call the day of my beta HCG. I had to call them. I also had to stay on top of them for medication dosing. The medication calendar they send is a little confusing and should be more clear on what you take at day and what at night
What specific things went wrong at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
How was your experience with William Gibbons at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
He seems to have difficulty speaking in complete thoughts and presenting those thoughts to patients. He starts a sentence and then rethinks it and then starts again over and over. He seems very nice but he seems too that he spends much of his time in a rush. For my egg retrieval, it seemed an inconvenience that it was on a Sunday and it was clear he wanted to hurry so he could attend services elsewhere.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Gibbons at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
He’s very nice but you need to remind him and his staff regularly about what your care plan is supposed to be.
Describe the protocols William Gibbons used in your cycles at Baylor / Texas Childrens and their degree of success.
Clomid 25 with Ovidrel shot Clomid 50 with Ovidrel shot IVF Gonal F, Cetrotide, Menopur, Omnitrope. 7 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 1 euploid. Did not create pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Gibbons at Baylor / Texas Childrens.
Very expensive and never sent to speak with financial conuselor
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I have been impressed with the clinic. The office [Baylor/Texas Childrens] is located in the new section of the hospital so it is modern and clean. The hospital is so large that it's tough to navigate, but they kindly provide a map and other helpful information for you on your first visit to help. One weakness is that the blood lab is inconveniently located and seems to always have a long wait.... The nursing staff has been wonderful! They are friendly, supportive, and extremely knowledgeable.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Baylor / Texas Childrens.
I have been impressed with the clinic. The office is located in the new section of the hospital so it is modern and clean. The hospital is so large that it's tough to navigate, but they kindly provide a map and other helpful information for you on your first visit to help. One weakness is that the blood lab is inconveniently located and seems to always have a long wait.
I was impressed with the amount of time that Dr. Gibbons and his fellow spent with me. It's easy to see that he cares about his patients and wants them to have a ssuccessful pregnancy.
How was your experience with William Gibbons at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
I have only had limited experience with Dr. Gibbons because we just started working with him. However, my experience has been mostly positive so far. He is incredibly intelligent and is an accomplished RE. He is what I call a "fast talker" and uses mostly medical jargon so it is tough to keep up with his train of thought sometimes. Thankfully, through my infertility journey I have read enough books where I could follow along okay, but I could see where someone could leave a bit confused. All in all, we find that he is personable and a good option as far as RE's go.
My advice would to be to always bring a notebook so that you can jot quick notes while he's talking.
So far we are still in the stage of doing a lot of testing. After our initial 3 hour consult, he ordered a large panel of bloodwork to be done. He was checking for clotting disorders, lupus markers, thyroid issues, prediabetic markers, and did a karotype. He also is having me do a certain HSG that tests my uterine cavity. For my husband who has a normal sperm count, he is having a lab perform a test call a Sperm Fish to determine if the dna in his sperm is aligned properly.
So far we have only had a consult amd we have great health insurance so we just had to pay our $40 copay. The only other expense so far is for my husbands Sperm Fish procedure. Because it is not covered by insurance, we have to pay $1,050.00 out of pocket.
Describe William Gibbons's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Baylor / Texas Childrens.
Houston
[Baylor Texas Childrens] May not be best for someone trying to figure out their fertility issues and not yet diagnosed with an issue. Is better for someone who is ready to do IVF right away... Dr. Gibbons was very nice at initial appointment and gentle with transvaginal ultrasound. He was an hour late, very pushy towards IVF and IUI without much explanation and easily frustrated at the next appointment. However, he will run any tests for you and if you don't want to try other options or get tested for anything and jump straight to IVF or IUI then he may be a good fit for you
He was very warm during initial apppintment and ultrasound. During second appointment, he delivered news that I was infertile in a very matter of fact way without allowing me time to process. I didn't even know what PCOS was and was just placed on 500mg dose of Metformin. He asked a nurse to come in and discuss my IUI instructions and scheduled and I started crying. They did not even ask me if I wanted to do IUI or test my progesterone to see if I was ovulating. When I asked if IUI was around $3k, the cheerful nurse said that it could be higher with his weird smile that made me question what exactly made her so happy. I wanted to discuss my infertility more and what could be tested and treated since only my A1c and AMH was tested in initial appointment. They kept on pushing for IVF saying that due to my high AMH levels, I'm an excellent candidate. The doctor got upset that I was crying because the nurse had scolded him for not being thorough with me before calling her in. He asked if I wanted a hug after I explained that the push for IUI/IVF without further testing, clomid, or increased Metformin made no sense. He said he answered all of my questions (I had questions about my thyroid afffecting my fertility) and what more did I want. I was very shocked because he was so much nicer at the initial appointment. I am now searching for another RE.
What specific things went wrong at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
How was your experience with William Gibbons at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
My insurance didn't cover any fertility treatment so I had to pay $700 for a couple of appointments and tv ultrasound
IUI, 2 IVF
Dr. Gibbons and his nurses made me feel like the most important patient they were treating. They responded to every single one of my questions in a timely manner. They always knew the details of my case....I can see how the TMC is not ideal for everyone. As far as scheduling goes, the clinic is amazing. They were rarely running behind, and monitoring appointments were amazingly efficient. The not so great...it was impossible for anyone to tell me how much anything would or could cost. Every bill was a complete surprise. I got into a huge fight with Greater Houston Anesthesiology over a double bill situation, and more than a year after my first retrieval I'm still not SURE that I am done paying for everything!
IUI, 2 IVF
Describe your experience with Baylor / Texas Childrens.
For me th location was great -- walking distance from work -- but I can see how the TMC is not ideal for everyone. As far as scheduling goes, the clinic is amazing. They were rarely running behind, and monitoring appointments were amazingly efficient. The not so great -- we had insurance coverage for our first cycle, and it was impossible for anyone to tell me how much anything would or could cost. Every bill was a complete surprise. I got into a huge fight with Greater Houston Anesthesiology over a double bill situation, and more than a year after my first retrieval I'm still not SURE that I am done paying for everything!
Dr. Gibbons and his nurses made me feel like the most important patient they were treating. They responded to every single one of my questions in a timely manner. They always knew the details of my case. And they made me feel like they were part of my team through this process.
De. Gibbons' nurses are absolute angels. They are knowledgeable and compassionate and respond to every single question and MyChart message with a thoughtful and complete answer. They are amazing.
How was your experience with William Gibbons at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
I have already referred Dr. Gibbons to two friends, and wouldn't hesitate to refer him to others as well. I am forever grateful to him and his office for his knowledge and expertise. His communication style and bedside manner are probably not for everyone. He has an "odd" sense of humor. But it worked for my husband and me, and he is a giant in his field. The only time I questioned him was after our failed transfer. I was devastated. We had a PGS tested embryo; we had done a day 6 transfer based on my ERA results; we did everything right. And it took us six full months just to get to that failed transfer. And we couldn't REALLY understand why the transfer had failed. I doubted the ERA test; I wondered if we needed to repeat; I wondered if some of my PGS non normal embryos should have been transferred; and I wondered if I was with the right clinic altogether based on SART data. Dr. Gibbons came off as brusque and defensive at that particular appointment, which was exactly what we did not need at that time. We did end up scheduling a consult with a different clinic, but ultimately decided to stick with Gibbons. I am glad I did. Our second cycle was a success.
He is a brilliant man, and tremendously passionate about his work and his patients. If you can get past his quirky sense of humor he is an amazing doctor. But his style is probably not for everyone.
My first cycle was 300 follistim and 2 vials of menopur each night, and cetrotide toward the end of stimming. Six eggs were retrieved. Five were mature. Four fertilized and they all made it to day 5 blasts. We biopsies them all for PGS. Only one came back as normal. The next step was an endometrial receptivity assay (ERA). The day five results came back as pre receptive. We scheduled a day 6 transfer for my lone blast. It came back negative. We started up again with the addition of HGH to my stim cycle plus increased follistim to 450. The second retrieval netted 8 eggs. Only 3 made it to blast from that round, and again only one genetically normal embryo. We transferred on day 6 again and I am currently 18 weeks pregnant with that blast.
We had insurance coverage for 75% of treatment costs up to $15,000, and a $3,500 prescription drug cap. I total we spent more than $18,000 out of pocket on medical expenses last year, which included two egg retrievals, two rounds of PGS testing, an ERA test, and two transfers, plus all my meds.
Dr. Gibbons strongly prefers to transfer single embryos. He also recommended PGS given my poor egg quality, and really only transfers singles for PGS tested embryos. Aside from that, we only had one embryo to transfer each cycle.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, PCOS
There has never been a long wait to see the doctor [at Baylor/Texas Childrens] . They are very organized, Anna is great on the finance end. She has been a great help when trying to get a referral from my PCP. Scheduling and ivf, well you kinda have to work around your body, so when they call and say I have an appointment I take it. There isn't much wiggle room in appointments but that's understandable!
European, Latino
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Baylor / Texas Childrens.
There has never been a long wait to see the doctor. They are very organized, Anna is great on the finance end. She has been a great help when trying to get a referral from my PCP. Scheduling and ivf, well you kinda have to work around your body, so when they call and say I have an appointment I take it. There isn't much wiggle room in appointments but that's understandable!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Terri Lynn Woodard at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
Dr. Woodard as well as her fellows always knew what was going on with me. They made my wife and I feel comfortable from day one!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Baylor / Texas Childrens. (Assigned nurse: Ashton)
Ashton is great, we have been seeing her as well as Dr. Woodard for about two years. She's quick to respond to emails and phone calls! I never feel bad having to ask something more than once or get more clarification if we do not understand.
How was your experience with Terri Lynn Woodard at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
I might not be the best patient... lol. Dr. Woodard will hold your hand, give you a hug, laugh with you and I genuinely feel that she knows my pain. (That which I have had both emotionally and physically.) Treatment isn't for the weak, I learned how strong I could be and I feel she plays a big part in that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Terri Lynn Woodard at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
I feel that the clinic as a whole has a "conservative" approach. I would give this information in talking with others at the same clinic as well as others. As things continue to not go as planned per se we are starting to get more aggressive.
Describe the protocols Terri Lynn Woodard used in your cycles at Baylor / Texas Childrens and their degree of success.
I had a fairly standard ivf cycle, gonal-Menopur-centrotide.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Terri Lynn Woodard at Baylor / Texas Childrens.
Ivf cycle was 13,500$... but of course all the other "things" add up, and quick!
Describe Terri Lynn Woodard's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Baylor / Texas Childrens.
After two failed transfers and just completing an ERA, we are going to transfer two.
Terri Lynn Woodard
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
They [Baylor / TX Childrens] are always responsive, organized and friendly....I always prefer working with specialist that are affiliated with teaching hospitals like Baylor. I feel like because they aren't an independent clinic there isn't as much push to get higher numbers and there is a more personal approach. I also appreciate that it's on the rail line and convenient to get to from downtown....Dr. Zarutskie is friendly and thoughtful. He is patient in explaining the processes and how/why each factor comes into play.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Baylor / Texas Childrens.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Zarutskie at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
Dr. Zarutskie approaches each visit like we're old friends. He takes his time explaining every detail of the process and answering questions. He doesn't feel like a treating physician but like a partner on this journey. And as busy as he is, he's always respectful of our time.
They are always responsive, organized and friendly.
How was your experience with Paul Zarutskie at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
Dr. Zarutskie is friendly and thoughtful. He is patient in explaining the processes and how/why each factor comes into play. We feel assured and informed and appreciate the time that he takes with us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Zarutskie at Baylor / Texas Childrens?
Trust him!