Blue Sky Fertility

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
6675 Holmes Road, Suite 680
Kansas City, MO 64131
816-301-5506
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Blue Sky Fertility to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 8Neutral: 19.8
1 doctor
I was happy to hear that Dr. Riggs [at Blue Sky Fertility] wanted to put me on some antioxidants and other supplements prior to another cycle. I was frustrated with my previous clinic that they didn't suggest taking anything - especially things that may help and couldn't hurt...So far, the nursing staff has been great. I had a hysteroscopy, which I was terrified for, and both Dr. Riggs and the nurse were completing understanding and patient with me. The rest of the nursing staff has been great as well.
Describe your experience with Blue Sky Fertility.
I think that Blue Sky has a lot of strengths. The way they treat their patients and their overall philosophy and approach. I also think they have very high success rates. The only weaknesses I've noticed are the long wait times to get into an IVF cycle and the fact that they are a new clinic and may have some kinks to work out - nothing that would stop me from going there or recommending to someone else.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
At our initial consultation, Dr. Riggs sat with us and went through our history for almost an hour. My previous RE would never have spent that much time with us, and if she did, we would have felt like a huge inconvenience. Dr. Riggs answered more questions for me than my previous clinic did in all my time with them. I also felt like Dr. Riggs wanted to try a more personalized approach versus just applying a standard protocol to my situation.
How was your experience with Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
We have not been through an IVF cycle with Dr. Riggs yet, but even through our preliminary appointments and some follow up testing, he has been incredibly personable and kind. I don't need or want a doctor to sugarcoat the truth for me, but I do want to be heard, and I do want things explained to me, and I feel like both of those needs have been met at Blue Sky.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
Go now! Because Dr. Riggs is developing a good reputation in KC, his schedule fills up fast, at least for IVF cycles. He cycles his IVF, so you can't just start at any time. When we started seeing him in January of 2018, he already had a waitlist for his July IVF cycle.
Describe the protocols Ryan Riggs used in your cycles at Blue Sky Fertility and their degree of success.
We are still in the early stages of planning for our next IVF cycle, and protocol is going to be discussed in more detail next week. However, after a failed IVF cycle at another clinic, I purchased the book "It Starts with the Egg." I understand that some of the book's suggestions may not be completed proven, but I was happy to hear that Dr. Riggs wanted to put me on some antioxidants and other supplements prior to another cycle. I was frustrated with my previous clinic that they didn't suggest taking anything - especially things that may help and couldn't hurt.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility.
We haven't paid for our IVF cycle yet, but from the information we have been provided, the cost seems comparable to our previous clinic. We did make a $500 deposit to get an IVF slot reserved.
IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Overall, it was wonderful working with Blue Sky and I am so happy we found them. They made us feel warm and welcome from the very beginning. The only weakness I found was the attitude of one staff member, the front desk clerk. She plays an important role in the clinic and can definitely push people away from using this clinic. I was disappointed, but the help, professionalism, compassion from all the other staff made up for it.
IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Blue Sky Fertility.
Dr. Riggs is compassionate and very knowledgeable. He explained the process very well. I did feel at times like we were rushed around and had many “pre” appointments. We live an hour away so it would have been nice to have the opportunity to combine appointments. Overall, I felt valued.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Blue Sky Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina )
The nursing staff is so easy to work with. We had so many questions and the nursing staff never hesitated to ask or call around and help us through the process. They took time to ease our worries and concerns. The staff was definitely the best part of the experience.
How was your experience with Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
Dr. Riggs treated my wife and I as individuals and was not accepting of our same-sex marriage. He helped us find a lawyer for legal advise for our situation. He took the time to meet with us and it didn’t feel as though he had to look through our medical chart to remember us. He is very personable and I would recommend him and his office to everyone.
Don’t feel afraid to ask all of your questions. Dr. Riggs is knowledgeable and wants to ensure you know exactly what is happening throughout the IVF process.
We are starting the stimulation phase in a couple of weeks and Dr. Riggs has wrote out a plan for our IVF meds. We have not started this yet.
The cost is estimated at $17K to include medications. The staff informed us of different programs to aid in the cost such as Baby Quest grants, medication discount programs and veterans program discounts.
Describe Ryan Riggs's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Blue Sky Fertility.
Dr. Riggs explained the embryo transfer process to us and we felt comfortable and at ease knowing the level of detail him and the embryologist go into to ensure the best possible embryo outcome for the patient.
Brookside Location
The clinic [Blue Sky Fertility] is easy to call and get ahold of someone to talk to. It is easy to get to. First time patients will have about a two month wait, but then everything else can move pretty quickly once you get in.... Christina is absolutely amazing. She emails back within thirty minutes, she takes my call every time I call, she celebrates successes with me, she is compassionate and empathetic with upsets. She has been a rock through this whole process.
Describe your experience with Blue Sky Fertility.
The clinic is easy to call and get ahold of someone to talk to. It is easy to get to. First time patients will have about a two month wait, but then everything else can move pretty quickly once you get in.
When I walk into the office everyone in there knows me by name and knows me very well. I can email or call and get answers right away. Dr. Riggs, so far through the process, has understood different concerns my husband and I have and is good about talking us through every step of the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Blue Sky Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
How was your experience with Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
Dr. Riggs is good at communicating with my husband and I and making sure we understand everything. He is compassionate and understands that infertility is a very tough situation that he is dealing with and he is a gently but straightforward communicator. Our main infertility issue is male factor so Dr Riggs suggested having us look into donor sperm. We tried, but it was something we decided we couldn't do. Dr. Riggs did not try to push it on us. He explained that if My husband's sample does not have enough on egg retrieval day, then they will just freeze my eggs until we have enough. It was nice that he found a solution for that.
This advice would go to anyone that is seeing a fertility specialist, you have to trust your doctor. If you go into it and you're skeptical, you don't feel like they have your best interest in mind, or you feel like they aren't good at what they're doing then you're not going to have a successful experience. You have to trust who you're working with and believe that they want the same end result as you do.
I am currently on an antagonist protocol. I am on stims two times a day for ten days. I will have 5 appointments to monitor my egg growth and my egg retrieval will be on day 12, 13, or 14. Dr. Riggs does PGS testing on the embryos, so I will have them genetically tested and frozen. My transfer will be in two months.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Blue Sky Fertility.
I had my appointments in the morning and I was seen right away.
My insurance does not cover anything so I have paid everything out of pocket. Our IVF cycle is $15,540. That does not include the cost of the appointments, because those are also not covered under insurance.
Dr. Riggs will not transfer more than two embryos. With PGS testing there is a greater chance of transfering in multiple embryos that would stick. He does not want to create a pregnancy that could result in birth complications if there are multiple babies. He has expressed that he not only wants to get us pregnant, ut he wants us to give birth to a healthy baby as well.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
I mainly have seen Jennifer [a nurse at Blue Sky Fertility], and she is SO compassionate and kind. She’s very reassuring and listens to my concerns. Every time she calls to give me results, she stays on the phone as long as I need to. They’re also really good about calling back, or sometimes when I call the clinic, they just send my call through to them if they’re not busy! ... The nurses and the staff are all so sympathetic and kind and willing to talk about all of my questions as long as I need to.
European, East Asian
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Blue Sky Fertility.
Strengths- personal approach, staff is AMAZING- Misha and Maddy are so kind and patient with all the crazy frantic scheduling calls I make. Puts me at ease. Weakness- location difficult to get to (but they are opening a second, closer to highway location soon!) and can be difficult to get an appointment with.
Dr. Riggs took the time to explain every detail to us, and was also extremely careful with details with my case. In addition to Dr. Riggs, the nurses and the staff are all so sympathetic and kind and willing to talk about all of my questions as long as I need to.
I mainly have seen Jennifer, and she is SO compassionate and kind. She’s very reassuring and listens to my concerns. Every time she calls to give me results, she stays on the phone as long as I need to. They’re also really good about calling back, or sometimes when I call the clinic, they just send my call through to them if they’re not busy! Can’t think of any negatives, I literally just want to be friends with all of them.
How was your experience with Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
Dr. Riggs has been very careful and thorough with my case. In our first meeting, he said he doesn’t think there really is “unexplained infertility,” but there are answers that need to be found. He found a small hydrosalphinx in an HSG that had been missed earlier by another lab. While it means more difficult treatment, I’m glad he found it.
See him as soon as possible. While others may have discussed my case because I am young and healthy, he took me seriously and found the issues.
Originally recommended medicated IUI with Femara and a trigger shot, monitored with ultrasound. However, after finding my tubal problems, he’s changed his recommendation to IVF which we have not yet started.
Not yet
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
I can't say enough about the staff at Blue Sky Fertility. From the first appointment, they became family. They love and accept me for my sometimes foul mouth all the way to my obnoxious behavior and all the way to my tears and anxiety attacks. They are all professional, courteous, and compassionate. Christina is an excellent communicator, she's organized and timely. I NEVER had to wait for information. She never made me feel dumb or an inconvenience when I had questions or needed extra explanations.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Blue Sky Fertility.
Blue Sky is a highly functioning, successful clinic. They are organized, efficient, transparent. Going in, you are aware of who each individual is and what their role will be in your treatment. The staff at Blue Sky Fertility MAKES you a part of their family.
First off, walking in the receptionist and all of the staff recognize me by name. This alone makes me feel like more than a number. Dr. Riggs is blunt, lays out the facts, but does so in a compassionate manner. He is funny and adds humor, but knows when to be serious and loving. I truly feel he cares about each one of his patients and their unique journeys.
How was your experience with Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
I started with Dr. Riggs May 1st, 2017. I am recently divorced and journeying through the IVF experience alone. He has been absolutely nothing less than encouraging and supportive, but also helpful in keeping my goals realistic. I went through a workup to figure out why I was unable to conceive on my own. Although I struggled with the findings, I was still hopeful and encouraged for what I would be able to accomplish with Dr. Riggs and his team. I started my first cycle on 12/21/17 through 2/27/18. Giving myself 5 shots a day, alone, even as a nurse was extremely intimidating! The staff was available for 24 hours a day to answer questions. If I had them, they never made me feel ignorant or an inconvenience! Several ultrasounds in, and based on lab results, it appeared that my body wasn't responding to the meds. Dr. Riggs remained honest throughout the entire time. As a nurse, I appreciate the honesty given in a compassionate manner. I think healthcare professionals often times are either one or the other. Although the first cycle was a bust, it wasn't at the fault of Dr. Riggs. We also sat down and talked about my goals and desire to try another cycle. Through this, I learned how ethical of a man and physician he is. He very easily could have encouraged me to go through several cycles. However, we decided on one more before discussing other options or walking away altogether. Being ethical is something that women and couples need to consider when looking for a physician in this field. It can be a money driven business. I trust Dr. Riggs with my body, my emotional well-being, and my wallet. My next cycle will start May 25th, 2018.
He's the best in KC!! He's more than a doctor, he's family.
I was on a protag protocol (from what I'm told). I had Lupron SQ twice daily. I had Gonal F at bedtime. In the AM I also had Omnitrope and Menopur SQ. Plus an oral Dexamethasone. The US before the tentative retrieval, I only had 3 follicles in the right ovary and none in the left. Therefore my cycle was cancelled.
My costs were fair. I encourage anyone to research cost and comparables and to find a physician whom is transparent regarding everything, especially financials.
I didn't get that far into my journey, this round. I can tell you as a single, heterosexual female I would NOT have chosen multiple embryo transfer.
Brookside Location
The nurses at Blue Sky are amazing! They always know me by name and remember my unique situation...They have always been able to get me an appointment when I needed one. The clinic is small, which I like. The location is not the best but worth the drive for the care you receive. They don't do HSG in the office....When I left a voicemail for them I always got a response within 2 hours. When I would email I would get a response within 2 hours. They had so much patience with me and always reassured me. They made me feel important.
Describe your experience with Blue Sky Fertility.
I cannot say enough good things about the nurses at Blue Sky. They are so compassionate and really want to do everything they can for you. They always asked about our lives and took a real interest in us personally. When I left a voicemail for them I always got a response within 2 hours. When I would email I would get a response within 2 hours. They had so much patience with me and always reassured me. They made me feel important.
How was your experience with Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
Dr Riggs is extremely smart and has a lot of experience. My husband loves him but I feel I need more compassion. He sees these 'issues' every day so they seem like no big deal to him but when I was first going through this process every 'set back' was a broken heart for me and he said everything so casually. Dr Riggs is great at explaining ultrasounds and what he is looking for. I felt like when I would ask questions they wouldn't be answered, he would just talk around my question. I am happy to be a patient of his and would recommend him.
Our insurance did not cover anything so these are cash prices: IUI - Sperm Isolation $250 plus Insemination $250 Baseline Ultrasound $270 Follicle Check Ultrasound $300 Hysteroscopy $850
Brookside Location
The staff [at Blue Sky Fertility] is very friendly and knowledgeable. My husband and I always feel like they are a part of our family...My care coordinator and nurse have been wonderful throughout my care! They give me all the information I need and return phone calls in a timely manner. I cannot say enough good things about them!...They would work with my schedule to ensure I never had any conflict.
Describe your experience with Blue Sky Fertility.
Appointments are set as soon as possible and wait times are very short. We have been seeing Dr. Riggs since September and have not experienced any weaknesses this far! Everyone at Blue Sky is extremely knowledgeable and friendly!
The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. My husband and I always feel like they are a part of our family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Blue Sky Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina B. And Jen R.)
How was your experience with Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
Dr. Riggs explains everything in detail giving you caution where needed. He is hinest and genuinely cares for his patients. We have have had a great experience with him and would recommend him to our friends and family.
Make a list of all of your questions before your appointments. Most of the time, he will answer them before you ask!
I started birth control about 2 months before treatment to ensure my cycles were regular and then I was on the Antagonist Protocol using Menopur, Gonal F and doxycycline. My antrical follicle country was on the higher end so I was monitored closely to prevent OHSS. I did not have any complications from my eggs retrieval.
It was always convenient for me. They would work with my schedule to ensure I never had any conflict.
Our care cost us about 15 thousand after insurance.
Dr. Riggs makes sure that you have information regarding PGS testing to pick the healthiest embryos possible. Once the testing is done, he recommends only transferring one embryo at a time.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
My only complaint [about Blue Sky Fertility] is some breakdown in communication. Was under the impression that after we cancelled our retrieval, we would start right away at start of my cycle. I moved up my appointment in hopes of starting soon, but was still told to “wait to hear from nurse” which was 5 days because she was gone and no one covers her email?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Blue Sky Fertility.
Very nice clinic, well kept, in a quiet area. Would recommend “back up” for staff when they are gone to cover. That has been my only complaint thus far is a breakdown in communication. Also, have received a few different answers so need further clarification but overall great place.
He personalizes care and refers not only to his past experience with patients but also with what research has to show
Overall, everyone has been very genuine, kind and compassionate to me and my husband.
What specific things went wrong at Blue Sky Fertility?
How was your experience with Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
He is very kind. You can tell he is passionate about what he does. I do wish I had a more direct communication relationship with him. I prefer to know the bad and good and all the details in between, it puts my mind at ease the more I know. I feel that is opposite for a lot of patients and haven’t quite found the right communication that I am looking for.
Go in with direct questions and make sure you understand answers prior to leaving.
He uses a spreadsheet to keep track of all lab tests, lab results, last testing and will create or adjust treatment based on this spreadsheet. It is very helpful to see and reassuring in moving forward with care.
Estimated costs for everything were about $11-16,000 without medications
He has recommended single embryo transfer. Although we have not been able to get to the transfer portion of this process yet, it is my understanding that he is willing to do more than one, although not more than two at one time based on research and recommendations.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
She [nurse at Blue Sky Fertility] is amazing. I can email her anytime and have a response within minutes. She is always there when I need her. She held me when I cried and made me feel so much better...$10,000 Dr Riggs $5000 Hospital $500 Anesthesia $1000 tests and consultation $5000 medicine for egg retrieval...Scheduling is so easy, staff is welcoming. Communication is great.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Blue Sky Fertility.
Scheduling is so easy, staff is welcoming. Communication is great.
The whole staff made me feel like family. I have never experienced such amazing care at such a difficult time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Blue Sky Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina Benware)
She is amazing. I can email her anytime and have a response within minutes. She is always there when I need her. She held me when I cried and made me feel so much better.
How was your experience with Ryan Riggs at Blue Sky Fertility?
Dr. Riggs was extremely thorough and made me feel so at ease. He went over every procedure with me and my husband. He also let me make every single decision...with his medical advice of course. His compassion made such a impact on me during such a difficult time. He truly is one of a kind!
The process is not easy, but Dr Riggs and his staff make it so much easier.