Boston IVF

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
800 Washington St
Waltham, MA 02451
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Boston IVF to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 59Neutral: 15Don't recommend: 198.1
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
There was miscommunication on the new protocol since it was an “out of the box” medication I was using, the nurses [at Boston IVF] weren’t used to calling it in to the pharmacy and prescribing it. So we had to wait another cycle to get things in order...The clinic as an overall has been great. The retrieval process has been amazing, they’ve always made sure I am comfortable with warm blankets, heating pads, nausea meds, etc. Generally you need to book appointments far ahead with the doctors as they fill up pretty quickly, even for post-op appointments.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was always warm and welcoming when I saw her. She was up to date on my case and if she wasn’t sure about something she takes the time to look through my chart to make sure she provides an appropriate answer.
There was one nursing staff that seemed very harsh and not compassionate at all. Obviously it was hard to deal with her. However there was another nurse that couldn’t be nicer and always put in all the effort she could to get you the answers you need and make sure you understood everything.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer put me on a pretty popular protocol that I had been on before. When I wasn’t getting the results I wanted, and I did some research, I made suggestions and although my clinic mostly didn’t use the medicine I was suggesting to try, she was willing to go outside the box and try something different. She has always been warm and kind at our appointments and I have never once felt rushed which is a huge difference from a previous clinic I was at.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Ask questions. Do your research and if you want to try something new, ask, she is very open to experimenting with different protocols if you aren’t getting where you want to be.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I used BCP, gonalf f, menopur, cetrotide and HGH trigger. I wasn’t getting the results I needed to, so we added HGH and I finally got an embryo to transfer (has not been transferred yet).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
The cost was mostly covered by insurance except for PGS and ICSI if we wanted to use it. We chose to do PGS but not ICSI.
Stoneham
Boston IVF has its good and its bad points. They service a TON of patients and its easy to get lost in the shuffle, but I do feel the nurses and staff in Waltham care about the patients and want us to succeed. The downside to the high volume is not getting much for personal care because your doctor is too busy to really be adjusting protocols or meeting with you personally. I also didn't love that they aren't much into research... other websites for clinics have studies and videos and information for patients. I felt like Boston IVF was like the Costco of reproduction, and you are fortunate to be successful if you have only a small issue to work through or try enough times. Anyone with specific issues that need special attention or outside the box thinking would probably do better elsewhere.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
My husband and I met with Dr. Thornton once, and I met with her once alone. She was always very nice and explained things in a way my husband liked, as her undergrad is in chemical engineering as is his. She seemed confident that I would be successful, and she explained the process well with pictures, etc. However, past those meetings I have felt like any other patient being pushed through the clinic. Three times a nurse told me to take a medication I didn't have (the insurance sometimes sends Cetritide but I had Ganirelix, and the insurance sometimes sends Gonal F, but I had Follistim) so it felt like no one was even reading my chart before speaking to me. After my second fail (premature ovulation prior to retrieval) I didn't receive a follow up call from the clinic to schedule a follow-up and next steps. I don't know if Dr. Thornton cares if I come back to Boston IVF ever, she likely has enough other 'numbers' to deal with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
I was so very NOT a fan of Dawn (Worcester office only) that I asked to be switched to a nurse out of the Waltham office. She lacks compassion as well as a knowledge of what she should say to a patient vs. what the doctor should be communicating. Abbey and Sonya (Dr. Thornton's other nurses) in Waltham are excellent though. The nursing staff in Waltham overall has been incredible - everyone you meet from the time you walk in, get blood taken, ultrasound, checked in for surgery, etc - they are SOOOOO great. They see your eyes start to tear and they always have tissues. I had to visit Waltham on Mothers Day for an ultrasound and they had a big bucket of roses and a sign that said "thinking of you all today and everyday" and I lost it. So touching. They are A+++++. In Waltham.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Dr. Thornton was kind and somewhat compassionate. If I was down about a high FSH she reminded me it wasn't that high (11). She is straight to the point though, she isn't really going to coddle you. After my first round of treatment only resulted in 2 dominant follicles and I was converted to an IUI, she asked me if I ever considered donor eggs. I was really disappointed that was discussed so quickly, but she was being real with me I guess. She agreed to change the protocol and move forward if I only had one follicle next time. Unfortunately that cycle was cancelled when they went in to retrieve and found no follicles, they assume I prematurely ovulated.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be prepared going in. Dr. Thornton goes over things for sure, but there is a lot of information out there and questions you should be asking of any doctor. If she hesitates on proceeding, keep in mind that it is your choice and your body and don't give up.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 - Day 3 start, 450 iu Follistim, low dose HCG; Day 5 Ganirelix, up to 600 iu Follistim, low dose HCG. One decent follicle, one smaller - converted to IUI. Ovidrel shot. BFN Cycle 2 - Ganirelix and Estrogen patch prior to cycle start, Day 3 450 iu Follistim, 150 iu Menupur; Day 9 Ganirelix, Follistim same, and Menupur same. Day 11 had two dominant follicles and some smaller ones starting. Pregnyl shot, retrieval 36 hours later showed no follicles. Was instructed to go home and have sex (not sure why they didn't do an IUI at that point)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Pretty much 100% insurance paid after deductible. I think we paid $150 for one medication through Village Pharmacy. My scripts cost me a small co-pay (like $30) but the 'real' price was $15,000 just for the drugs! Phew!
Worcester
Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Other
It took 6 months to get to the egg retrieval process because communication [at Boston IVF] is just so bad. By time I was ready to start my meds, I decided to switch clinics...The nursing and administrative staff is terrible. There were repeated clerical errors - wrong birth dates, lost vials, etc. For example, I had blood drawn 3 times for diagnostics because they kept forgetting to test me for things or insisted on testing me for things I already knew I had (e.g. I knew I had sickle cell trait, but they insisted on testing me, even though I had my test results forwarded form another doctor). It's impossible to get a hold of a person by calling. You always have to wait for them to call you back and they call whenever they feel like it. At some point I was waiting for probes to be made for PGD testing. They said they would call me when they were ready to proceed and that it usually takes 1-2 months for the probes to be made. After 2 months, I called them. They said "Oh, they've been ready for a month; you should have received a call".
Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I had an issue with insurance where Boston IVF outright lied and said my insurance would cover PGD testing. There was a lot of back and forth where they said my insurance company said they would cover it and I called my insurance and they said they were waiting on medical documents from Boston IVF. I asked them if they could give me a note in writing saying that it was covered, but of course they couldn't/wouldn't. In the end, my claim was denied by my insurance and I had to come $5,000 out of pocket. I'm not even mad, I expected this from their staff because they're egregiously impatient, overbooked, and too busy to deal with their patients. When I switched clinics, they told me it would take up to 10 business days to have my records transferred over. On the 11th business day, they still hadn't sent it over. When I called, they said "they had sent them over a week ago, but they would try again". For some reason, it went through the second time. I'm 100% sure they didn't try to send it a first time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
The nursing and administrative staff is terrible. There were repeated clerical errors - wrong birth dates, lost vials, etc. For example, I had blood drawn 3 times for diagnostics because they kept forgetting to test me for things or insisted on testing me for things I already knew I had (e.g. I knew I had sickle cell trait, but they insisted on testing me, even though I had my test results forwarded form another doctor). It's impossible to get a hold of a person by calling. You always have to wait for them to call you back and they call whenever they feel like it. At some point I was waiting for probes to be made for PGD testing. They said they would call me when they were ready to proceed and that it usually takes 1-2 months for the probes to be made. After 2 months, I called them. They said "Oh, they've been ready for a month; you should have received a call". Literally you are on your own with these people. It took 6 months to get to the egg retrieval process because communication is just so bad. By time I was ready to start my meds, I decided to switch clinics. I just couldn't deal with BIVF.
Terrible. They never answer the phone. You're always sent to voicemail. They call back about half of the time. If you request to be called back at a specific time, they don't call you back at all. There was an issue with the lab where they couldn't find my medical records for Boston IVF. We eventually realized it was because BIVF had inputted the wrong birth date. I had my blood drawn repeatedly during the diagnostic phase because they kept forgetting stuff or refused to consult my medical records. They also referred me to a genetics counselor that was out of network. Getting that bill in the mail was great. It took me 6 months, from August to February to actually get to the point where I could start the fertility meds/injections. They're also pretty grouchy when you call.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr Rylely himself was pleasant, but he never left me with any notes to take home. I always left feeling like I had missed something because he said so many new things and just expected me to understand what was happening or what to do next.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He's a decent doctor but it hardly matters; what you need as a patient is a good billing specialist and good nursing staff. Dr. Ryley has neither.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I didn't get to this point. Right after I was prescribed Gonal-F along with other things and 2 days before I was supposed to start them, I switched clinics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I had insurance and did not complete my cycle
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We felt like a number at times with Boston IVF -everything is scheduled according to the day they do procedures, not according to how my body is responding.... Overall the staff were great. I did not feel that I received all the information I wanted with regard to financial assistance options. It felt like a cookie cutter list was given to us with options that we were then responsible for looking into ourselves.... The clinic was very secretive about our results.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Overall the staff were great. I did not feel that I received all the information I wanted with regard to financial assistance options. It felt like a cookie cutter list was given to us with options that we were then responsible for looking into ourselves. There is minimal information given about possible grants and scholarships available or other options other than financing. We requested this information specifically when we were considering whether or not we would be able to afford another cycle and I included what we had already used for options in the past that would no longer be an option and I received a generic e-mail back with the same list given to us the first time. We qualified for a treatment discount based on our income and I was very disappointed to learn that if we used any form of grant or gift money that we would no longer qualify for the discount. There are few grants that provide substantial assistance and unless we received at least a $10k grant, we would end up having to pay more than our first cycle without the discount. The clinic felt like a factory at times and everything is scheduled according to when the clinic does particular procedures rather than specific to how I responded. There was a question about whether or not I would have had more mature eggs if given a couple more days of stimulation but the retrieval was scheduled for 1 day for all patients. My next cycle was at a clinic abroad and they saw me daily towards the end to closely monitor the growth and scheduled the retrieval for the day my body was ready. The clinic was very secretive about our results. For instance, I was doing fertility acupuncture and my acupuncturist wanted me to come with my estrogen level and how many follicles and what size but the clinic would not give me this information and they said they don't give this out.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
With Dr. Lannon specifically we always felt like a human - he is very personable and responsive. We felt like a number at times with Boston IVF -everything is scheduled according to the day they do procedures, not according to how my body is responding.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
We warmed up to our nurse as we had more interactions with her. Our first meeting where we went over the protocol was overwhelming and felt rushed and confusing and the nurse was not overly warm. The nursing staff in general was great and I felt well cared for during procedures.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is warm, approachable, and has a sense of humor. He took the time to answer any and all questions we had and he has been very responsive personally to e-mails. We recently asked for a bottom-line honest opinion and feel he delivered on that. I trust Dr. Lannon. I was disappointed at how our pregnancy loss was handled as I felt like we were ushered out of the office quickly due to being upset and then there was no follow-up. We were also not given specific information about our baby's heart rate and we only found out how low the heart rate was after requesting our records some time later. I feel like we would have been better prepared for our follow-up ultrasound if we had been given this information. I received a call from my ob/gyn's office stating that they received our records and wanted to know what our follow-up was for the missed miscarriage and we had none. I did reach out to Boston IVF a while later to discuss my disappointment and they sent my message to Dr. Lannon and we received an e-mail from him personally the same day. He stated that the clinic chooses to give people space after their loss which I don't agree with but felt some relief that we weren't just dropped because we weren't a success. We went abroad for another cycle due to cost and we reached out to Dr. Lannon again a year later since last seeing him and were able to schedule a meeting with him pretty quickly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Ask for what you need - don't wait for it to be offered. Dr. Lannon is a great doctor and partners with you. I wish that we had been more direct the first time about our questions, our needs, and potential risks.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Lannon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We had no reason based on my blood work to think I would not respond well to stimulation and it was a shock to us and Dr. Lannon when they only retrieved 6 mature eggs. I started with birth control pill and then took Lupron followed by Gonal F 300 mg until the trigger shot (Ovidrel) and Lupron may have been added back in there towards the end. Dr. Lannon did tell us that if we were to do another cycle with him using my eggs, he would consider a lupron antagonist protocol. We ended up with all 6 eggs fertilizing and 2 blastocysts.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF.
Fresh IVF cycle using our own eggs and sperm with a discount based on income cost $8,000 and the medications cost about $3,000 with a pharmacy that offers a discount to Boston IVF patients. We recently went for another consult and it is recommended that we move to donor egg which is $18,000 for a single cycle or $42,000 for the assurance program which offers a full refund if you are are not able to have a live birth within 6 cycles.
South Portland
I've always felt that everyone was helpful and responsive to phone calls and questions. The staff [Boston IVF -South Shore] for ultrasounds in blood draws was fantastic and conversational when appropriate. The wait was always minimal for any testing and they were able to answer any questions over the phone. Our only problem was being scheduled for an appointment when the doctor wasn't there, and then having to wait to meet with him.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I've always felt that everyone was helpful and responsive to phone calls and questions. The staff for ultrasounds in blood draws was fantastic and conversational when appropriate. The wait was always minimal for any testing and they were able to answer any questions over the phone. Our only problem was being scheduled for an appointment when the doctor wasn't there, and then having to wait to meet with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Although sometimes it took awhile to get an appointment with him, when he was talking to us he was compassionate and helpful. He also was very positive about our ability to conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Our care during blood draws and ultrasounds was fantastic
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Our biggest concern with dr. Bergers office was that it took so long to make an appointment. At one point in time they had schedule an appointment for us on a day that he was not working, which was frustrating. We were able to reschedule for a couple of weeks later for a phone consult. He recommended something that we had felt we could have taken care of during the wait for the appointment. Ultimately though, it was probably better for my body to have a rest which is what he ended up saying on the phone anyways. I feel that he understands what is going on and closely monitors each patient.
Have patience in the fertility process. We wanted this so bad that it was easy to be frustrated. I definitely feel the doctor Berger is trying to help us get pregnant
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did 3 IUI Cycles with letrozole and then a trigger. For our IVF cycle we did gonal-f, cetrotide and crinone. After we had an unsuccessful Embryo transfer due to an inability to pass the catheter, he recommended a hysteroscopy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Almost all of our fertility treatments were covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield. There was some initial cost of approximately $600 and then small co-pays of approximately $50 for medications.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We only plan to transfer one during the first cycle and would increase in subsequent Cycles if necessary. We agreed with this strategy.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Their [Boston IVF-RSC] strengths are that due to their size you can cycle any time and they do egg retrevial and transfers every day of the year. I also love the Domar Center located at their Waltham location. Acupuncture there is awesome with all practioners and the nutritionist was very helpful too. You do not usually get your doctor for retrevial, but mine came in once special to do just mine or a weekend morning. Billing is frustrating as you never get an actual bill or breakdown, and now we are paying out of pocket so you pay ahead for the whole cycle and get reimbursed if you did not use all of the plan treatments.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their strengths are that due to their size you can cycle any time and they do egg retrevial and transfers every day of the year. I also love the Domar Center located at their Waltham location. Acupuncture there is awesome with all practioners and the nutritionist was very helpful too. You do not usually get your doctor for retrevial, but mine came in once special to do just mine or a weekend morning. Billing is frustrating as you never get an actual bill or breakdown, and now we are paying out of pocket so you pay ahead for the whole cycle and get reimbursed if you did not use all of the plan treatments. You do need to be on top of things as far as your treatment as there is not someone to walk you through the process once you are on treatment or remind you. Follow up is also on you. But nurse communication is great and so was the coordinator.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He is very fact based but also very personable. He encourages questions and looking at new treatment plans and will discuss it all in detail and give you approx. Success rates of different options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Mawn)
Sara is wonderful. Very compassionate and responsive. She was out for a while and we experienced other nursing staff. Most we great! At my first ERA biosposy, I was disappointed in the nursing as the 2 we not very professional, but my second biopsy was the exact opposite. It is a very large clinic so you will have interactions with many staff, but you also have a main point of contact.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Pandas was very responsive to questions and requests, even while traveling He is accessible thru the nurse or via email. He was also flexible with us as far as having conference calls when we couldnt meet at his office due to schedule conflicts. We found him as he came highly rated to us from a Chief of another department Even though I was 40 and had low reserve, was a poor responder he didn't tell us donor eggs were the only choice. He know how we wanted our own child and he said out what our chances were. He has worked with us to optimize how many eggs we get but my eggs are not fertilizing. He is not encouraging or promoting of alternative therapies or naturopathic treatments to improve quality as he thinks they make minimal impact. But he will approve them and supplaments that I chose to do. I always keep him in the loop with what I am taking. He does like the use of acupuncture for transfer. We are looking to do another cycle or two with him at this point and looking at different treatment options. He has also gone to bat for us more than.once with the insurance company.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He is a down to earth person and a straight communicator that relies on data and proven methods. He is not on the cutting edge but it up to date on everything going on out that and looks to reliable data of success before recommending it to patients. He is very professional. Go in with lots of questions and you will come out with solid options to choose from.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
For my first cycle we did menopure and gonal f with Cetrotide to suppress, and during the cycle my dosing was upped as I was a poor responder. I ended up ovulating thru the Cetrotide is the cycle was candles. My next 2 cycles (the first I did immediately after the fist cycle as some research indicates that works better for older women) we switched to micro Lupton and stuck with the m &g. The first cycle we got 1 mature egg that did not fertalize naturally. I took a cycle off then the next cycle we used the same protocol and got I believe 3 eggs. They did not fertilize with ICSI, for the ones it could be used on. We switched to mini IVF since I was at max doses for stimulating meds but not getting good responses. Used Clomid with a hcg trigger (same as all the others) and got 6 eggs, 5 mature, none fertalize with ICSI. Took another few cycles off and did another mini IVF where I believe we got 3 or 4 eggs, nothing fertalized again. It has been attributed to my poor egg quality at my age, even though they look good at retrevial. Dr.P told me at my age less than maybe 1 in 12 eggs are chromosomaly normal, so it is a numbers game.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Our first 4 cycles were covered by insurance, but the PGS testing was not. He did appeal to insurance and got 2 cycles covered that were initially rejected by insurance. Out of pocket IVF was $7750 for the cycle plus 2500 for icsi and 980 for the embryoscoping (which was at our request). PGS was $3300 For 7 to 8 embryos and went up and down from that number For the mini IVF cycle it is $4950 and that includes ICSI but not PGS testing.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We haven't gotten to that point, but we originally talked about doing only FET transfers of PGS tested embryos and at my age, 1 or 2 at a time.
1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
The clinic [Boston IVF] is very large so the positives of this are that there are many resources and options, including many locations and open on weekends. The downside of this is that I feel a bit like cattle in a factory...and your doctor does not perform any of the procedures (unless you luck out and they happen to be on call). Boston IVF and New England IVF also joined and there are differences between their protocols within the same clinic, but that was not made clear to us at the outset (switched between NEIVF to BIVF doctor and a few things slightly changed).
1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is very large so the positives of this are that there are many resources and options, including many locations and open on weekends. The downside of this is that I feel a bit like cattle in a factory...and your doctor does not perform any of the procedures (unless you luck out and they happen to be on call). Boston IVF and New England IVF also joined and there are differences between their protocols within the same clinic, but that was not made clear to us at the outset (switched between NEIVF to BIVF doctor and a few things slightly changed).
Dr. Ryley is very warm and approachable and really conveys that he cares and "has your back". He has advocated for me with insurance and got me right in for surgery when fibroid was found--and delivered news with compassion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi and Amanda)
They are very helpful, but you can tell that they are busy. However, when you need to talk to them, they will get back to you soon and explain things clearly.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I said it before--he is very caring and compassionate and explains everything well. He is smart and confident but also realistic in setting expectations. I have the feeling that he "has my back" and that he truly cares.
The clinic is really busy and it is difficult to get appointments in a timely manner. There is also the question of whether you want to deal with feeling like a number at such a big clinic... I think he's worth it but we'll see.
Gonal F, Monopur, Cetrotide, Endometrin
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
This first cycle is covered under insurance and Dr. Ryley fought insurance for that. Otherwise, it's about $8k-$10k.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Clinic [Boston IVF-South Portland] was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clinic was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
During my continued treatment, I have had a number of misfortunes; such as two chemical pregnancies and one ectopic pregnancy resulting in the removal of my fallopian tubes. I have had a number of diagnostic tests done and although I have follow ups to review the results, at my next visit, the Doctor suggesting testing that has already been completed and reviewed. This makes it seem as though he does not remember my case or take the time to review my file before my appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbra Delsignore)
Slow in returning phone calls with important results
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr Alper is very knowledgeable and well recognized for fertility treatment. I have experienced two miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy and did not receive much compassion about this, although he provided me with factual and realistic information in regards to these occurrences. In my circumstances, he seemed to be very focused on the medical and scientific aspect of the treatment and did not seem to give any sympathy to my losses, which was hard for me. He provided me with very detailed and accurate information in regards to my procedures and what to expect.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
If you are looking for bedside manner and emotional support through the process, I would recommend looking for a different provider
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
When I started working with Dr Alper, I had already completed 5 failed IUI cycles with my OB/GYN. Dr Alper completed all of the initial testing and stated that I was young and healthy and there was no reason that In-Vitro should not work. He determined that one of my fallopian tubes appeared to be blocked but we would be bypassing that with the in-vitro so there was no need to worry. During my first in-vitro cycle I took the injectable medications during the initial egg retrieval process. I had 15 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized, and one embryo transferred in a fresh cycle. After the embryo transfer, I was put on progesterone gel once time daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test, rising HCG until around 6 weeks and then miscarriage. Once my HCG level returned to 0, we completed a thaw cycle. This time after transfer I was put on progesterone suppository three times daily, estrogen patch that was changed 2 times a week, and estrogen pill two times daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with rising HCG until around 6 weeks with miscarriage. After this, Dr Alper did antibody testing, imaging of the lining of my uterus, and a biopsy of the lining of my uterus; all of these tests came back normal so Dr Alper approved another thaw cycle. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with HGC levels that were not rising appropriately. I was treated for ectopic, my HCG levels lowered, but it resulted in a hematoma in my fallopian tube, hemorrhage with internal bleeding, and I had both of my fallopian tubes removed as there was a cyst in my other tube. Still Dr Alper feels hopeful for a healthy pregnancy, although I am not feeling so optimistic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
My initial in vitro cycle with egg retrieval was 8,900 dollars and an additional 2500 for my injectable medications. When I used progesterone gel, this was 300 dollars for 2 weeks worth. My first thaw cycle was 3500 plus costs of medications, and my third thaw cycle was 4000 plus costs of medication. I had all of my monitoring ultrasounds and blood work done at a hospital that was more convenient for me, so this was an additional cost in my treatment.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
After my two miscarriages and ectopic pregnancy, Dr Alper approved to transfer 2 embryos at next transfer if this is what I wish to do.
South Portland
I loved the nursing staff [at Boston IVF]. I was mainly under one nurse (she was great!) although I worked with a few other staff members throughout the process. Everyone was wonderful, very compassionate, patient with my questions, and always called when they said they would. (Seriously, they were amazing at saying "We'll call you after 2pm tomorrow" so I knew I'd hear in the 2pm-5pm range, for example - it made waiting for results a LOT easier!)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I've been to three locations for Boston IVF. All offices have been clean, organized, and friendly. While they can't do all services at all locations, it was nice to have multiple places to choose from at times. I suppose the only weakness is parking at the downtown office - it can be a little expensive at the garage (but a small price to pay in this process).
Dr. Ryley offered very personalized care. We felt like he genuinely wanted to connect with us. Each appointment was a balance of checking in personally/emotionally while also covering more technical logistics/plans/etc. He was upfront with numbers and statistics, staying positive but managing our expectations. When he delivered news, good or bad, I could feel he was really there with us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I loved the nursing staff. I was mainly under one nurse (she was great!) although I worked with a few other staff members throughout the process. Everyone was wonderful, very compassionate, patient with my questions, and always called when they said they would. (Seriously, they were amazing at saying "We'll call you after 2pm tomorrow" so I knew I'd hear in the 2pm-5pm range, for example - it made waiting for results a LOT easier!)
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley has been present throughout our process from testing/diagnosis to transfer planning (our current status). He was clear at the beginning that he may not be the doctor at our egg retrieval and I wouldn't see him for every step (with all the tests and ultrasounds, I wasn't expecting to!) but I was glad he was so up-front. I felt like we got full access to him through phone calls, follow-up appointments, and knowing he was reviewing our results every step of the way.
I always encourage people to ask whatever questions they have - but also, trust the process! Dr. Ryley is very experienced and has had many successes. I felt totally confident letting him take control (and it reduced my stress a ton).
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Because of my previous natural conception and the PGS testing, Dr. Ryley recommended we only transfer one embryo. Honestly, we didn't question it much because we agreed - so not sure if he (or my insurance) would have not allowed a multiple transfer or if this was all preference/recommendation.
Boston
Diagnostic testing [at Boston IVF] that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs)... I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring...it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Even though Boston IVF Waltham is a large center, it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there. If you can look past these administrative issues, I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring.
For the first 75% of my cycle I was under the care of a rotating stream of nurses. I would get monitoring result and other related calls from a different person each day, and they were not always on the same page. Some of the nurses were very nice and some were curt. I'm not sure if this was sorted out and they now have 1 dedicated nurse for Dr Penzias, but the rotating care was frustrating since i had to re-explain a concern or re-ask a question constantly to different people.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
The latter reviews for primary nurse are specifically for Sara and Ashley. In the first portion of my time with Dr Penzias I was treated by a rotating schedule of nurses which was frustrating. But when Sara was working she was very attentive, compassionate, super responsive and helpful and then when Ashley took over she was also amazing.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Penzias seemed to be very knowledgeable and had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles (he gave us the choice of IUI vs just timed relations each month - we did the latter due to our travel schedule) before we moved on to IVF. I was on standard Gonal F, ovidril, cetratide prior to egg retrieval and then progesterone in oil prior to embryo transfer.
Our insurance ended up covering our IVF cycle, but we were quoted about 15k for the cycle. Diagnostic testing that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
...She [Dr Alison Zimon] didn't bother to mention that to me and I found out my dr had quit on Facebook! I feel like her quiting was a blessing in disguise because I absolutely love my new dr. He spent almost an hour on the phone with me answering every question and concern...They [Boston IVF] are very efficient. I don't lived near an office so I get blood and scans done locally. It's very convenient. Unless it's a weekend.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are very efficient. I don't live near an office so I get blood and scans done locally. It's very convenient. Unless it's a weekend. —————————————————————-———————————-—————————————————————————————————
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Consult she was friendly but never spoke with her again until follow up for failed cycle. She kept the call quick.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
Minor prescription mix ups but they are overall awesome. I was told 8 eggs at my second retrieval but it was only 5. They went through hell when Zimon left the practice so there was a few rocky days of missed callbacks but overall they recovered quickly and are very helpful
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
She was very nice and personable when we met for a consultation. Our next appointment after testing was quick and to the point. All communication after that was with her nurses. My first problem with her and what made me lose her trust happened at my first transfer. She changed our agreed upon plan last minute. We agreed on single embryo transfer of a 5 day blast or two embryos if day 3. I showed up on day three and the random dr that was doing my transfer told me we were transferring one. Since I had only two embryos I had assumed one stopped growing. When I asked he said nope it's fine but dr Zimon changed you to one. I was so angry. I hate confrontation and I felt like I was put on the spot and had to defend myself and fight for my original plan. I had a chemical that cycle and had a phone follow up that was very brief with dr Zimon. Cycle two I had the exact same results. Same amount of eggs (I was told 8 but they were wrong, they got 5 again).
Describe the protocols Alison Zimon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I have a low AMH of .8 but I am only 31 so she wasn't worried about egg quality. Based on my AFC of 10 she was very confident that we would get around 10 eggs. First cycle was bcp/antagonist with 225 gonal and 20 HCG. I only stimmed for 6 days, triggering with HCG on day 7. I only used two doses of cetrotide. Retrieved 5 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized, transferred 2, chemical Cycle two we had planned estrogen patch protocol. I went for bloodwork to confirm ovulation then I was to start the estrogen patch for a few days, then add cetrotide before period. I got my period early so on cycle day 1 she had me put on estrogen patch then I started gonal f at 375 the next day with 40 HCG. She didn't send me for a scan until day 5 on which day she increased my gonal to 450 with 40 HCG. Stimmed 6 days again, trigger with ovidrel on day 7. 5 eggs retrieved 2 fertilized (didn't tell me how many were mature) transferred both (excellent grades) and had a negative beta. No follow up because she left the practice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
I have insurance coverage and ended up spending $800 first cycle $1100 second.
Describe Alison Zimon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
She really pushed me to one. I chose two of day 3 transfers. Since I only got two embryos each time I felt good about putting both in.
Anovulation, Unexplained
The only frustrating part about the clinics [Boston IVF] were the locations....at times for treatment, I actually would have to travel to Albany (over 3 hours from my house) to do the procedures. I worked with MIchelle primarily....She always called me back same day and was really good with answering all my questions.... I also really liked that my clinic had a portal where all my information was stored. That made it easy to upload blood work orders, instructions for injections, etc.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only frustrating part about the clinics were the locations. I went to the Boston IVF Center in Syracuse initially but the clinic doesn't have their own location (they share a building with Upstate Medical Center). Often times my doctor wasn't available to meet in Syracuse (because he was actually based in Massachusetts!) and so at times for treatment, I actually would have to travel to Albany (over 3 hours from my house) to do the procedures. When I initially contacted Boston IVF- Syracuse, I thought everything would be done in Syracuse. However, if I wasn't willing to drive to Albany, my care would have been delayed. So we made the sacrifice and traveled to Albany.
He really took the time to explain every part of our care. He even met with us in between treatments to talk about next steps if our IUI did not work. He showed us a power point with different statistics concerning sub fertility and seeing it on the screen really helped me understand the process. Had he just spoken to us with no visuals, I would have had a really hard time following along. He was also available for phone consultations which were really helpful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
I worked with MIchelle primarily. She was the person I spoke with the most. She always called me back same day and was really good with answering all my questions. She was good with giving me all the information that I would need, but not overwhelming me either. I also really liked that my clinic had a portal where all my information was stored. That made it easy to upload blood work orders, instructions for injections, etc.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
As a patient there were times where his eagerness definitely encouraged me. He listened to me when I told him I had a really hard time being on Clomid and he suggested Letrozole. When I started Letrozole he was very interested and concerned about how I was doing on that (I did very well on it). He explained to me why he thought Letrozole was a better fit for me than Clomid and that helped me a lot. He also explained why I wasn't ovulating every month and did a really good job going through the idea of sub fertility (people who are experiencing infertility with a diagnosis). At times I felt frustrated by our lack of diagnosis, but because he spent so much time explaining that we were not infertile but sub fertile, it made me feel much better.
Ask questions. Any questions. He can answer them!
During our consultation he knew we had done 4 rounds of clomid without any pregnancies, so he suggested we try Letrozole for one month and then an IUI. I was very fortunate that my IUI worked on the first round. I have no idea if it was the Letrozole that helped more or the IUI. For my second pregnancy, I want to try going on Letrozole for a month with intercourse to see if that works.
Our insurance covered mostly everything (we have amazing insurance). But I do remember looking at the EOB and between blood tests, genetic testing, prescription, the sample collection, and the IUI- we were close to $5,000. We only paid deductibles in the range of $20-40.
Waltham
[Boston IVF] Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning...Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: . Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning which is convenient for testing before work. Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: You never see the same surgeon or embryologist. Contact with your doctor is extremely limited. Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
During my cycles I only had contact with the nursing staff, despite a change protocols the drugs ordered were incorrect, we did a day 3 embryo transfer on cycle 2 despite prior poor embryo survival in the first round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Merchant)
After completing the birth control for cycle 1 the nurse informed me that we would not be abel to proceed with the cycle because my husband had not completed the Counsyl screening. At no point had this testing been communicated as a contingency for proceeding with the cycle. I asked to speak with the Dr. Penzias but received a call from the nursing manager explaining that Amanda had mistakenly not given me the correct information regarding the completion of the Counsyl testing being a requirement. The nursing manager gave me the option to either waive my husband's testing or to have the testing done as soon as possible while the IVF cycle continued. After my embryo transfer I was not told to schedule a follow-up visit with Dr. Penzias which resulted in my not being able to proceed to the next cycle until an additional month had passed. Before cycle 2 I shared my concerns with Dr. Penzias that Amanda seemed to be disorganized and the communication was not ideal. I met with Amanda to discuss the next cycle and I asked her whether I was able to combine the drugs for the second cycle and if it was possible for me to utilize any drugs I had left over from the previous cycle. Amanda indicated that she did not know and referred me to the pharmacy. The pharmacy stated that my clinic should provide a response about mixing of medications. The second cycle started with my receiving Cetrotide despite this medication being removed from my protocol. It was confirmed that the error was in the orders coming from Dr. Penzias' office. For both cycles I was given the incorrect time for my embryo transfer.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider. I do not feel as though the IVF treatment was tailored to my husband and I's specific fertility challenges. I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff. We had a Day 3 fresh transfer in round 2 without prior understanding of this strategy being utilized. The Day 3 fresh transfer felt like a financial decision to ensure complete billing of the cycle rather than a decision that would result in a successful pregnancy.
Consider a second opinion.
Bicornuate uterus requiring single embryo transfer. Cycle 1 started on 06-Jul-2017: OCP/Antagonist - birth control, 375 Gonal F + 75 Menopur, cetrotide, ovidrel. Crinone vaginal progesterone. Resulted in retrieval of 9 eggs, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 3 embryos made it to Day 3, 2 embryos made it to Day 5. Fresh transfer of 1 embryo at Day 5. Acupuncture twice after embryo transfer. Remaining embryo did not survive for freezing. Menstruation occurred 4-5 days after transfer. Negative pregnancy test. Cycle 2 started on 08-Oct-2017: OCP/Microdose Lupron - birth control, microdose Lupron 10 IU (am & pm), 475 IU Gonal F, 75 IU menopur, Ovidrel. Resulted in retrieval of 12 eggs (10 mature). Intramuscular progesterone injections twice a day. Two eggs fertilized (ICSI) with fresh transfer at Day 3 of one embryo. Second embryo was necrotic at Day 5.
$1200 for the first cycle including preliminary testing. I have not yet been billed for the second cycle.
Utilized single embryo transfer due to bicornuate uterus making multiple pregnancy a risk to my health.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
During our first cycle [at Boston IVF], the financial coordinator left our paperwork on the fax machine (which was supposed to be sent to the insurance company for approval) and she left for vacation for 2 weeks, so it pushed our whole cycle back a few weeks and it kept me on birth control for way longer than I should have been. I had two nurses call with two different timelines to kick off the first cycle with conflicting recommendations. When I addressed it and asked which one I should go with, one nurse criticized the other nurse's plan.
European, Other
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
**to clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing a standard IVF process** Strengths: good reputation, big facility with local offices (e.g. they had an office in Quincy which was convenient for us for blood and ultra-sounds) and I loved their acupuncture team in the Domar center. Weaknesses: because Boston IVF is so massive, as a patient I felt like a number being funneled through a factory. No one really seemed to "own" us. Stephen Bayer was very disconnected from our process and my last follow up meeting with him to discuss our failed cycle was awful, not helpful/hopeful and he basically walked me out hysterically crying. I left feeling like a failure with no clear game plan, so my husband and I decided it was time to work with a new facility and team of doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Boston IVF felt like a factory, where my husband and I were just a number. Dr. Bayer did his best in the beginning to give us hope and lay out the game plan, but the first cycle was very disorganized (mainly with the financial coordinator and nurse instructions) and we did not talk to Dr. Bayer at all during the process until he called to tell us both cycles failed. Our last follow up appt with Dr. Bayer was very discouraging and he did not give us any hope.
The nurses were good at answering my questions when I had them, but in general, it felt a bit disorganized because there were several nurses on staff so I didn't feel anyone, in particular, was really monitoring my progress or had a handle on my treatment plan.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Steven Bayer was great in the beginning with the game plan and giving us lots of hope in the treatment plan. After that point, we did not speak with him, see him or work with him until he called us with negative results. During our follow up meeting he did not seem hopeful or committed to finding the right solution.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Go to another clinic.
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Birth control (which backfired), injections and a healthy lifestyle. Birth control to suppress the ovaries. Injections to stimulate follicle growth. A healthy lifestyle to give us the best possible chance.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Fortunately, our insurance covers up to 6 rounds of IVF and genetic testing due to my husband's translocation, so we only had to pay co-pays most of the time.
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Unfortunately, we didn't make it to this stage during either IVF cycle.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Other
During my 10 months under Dr Bergers [at Boston IVF] care we had something go wrong with every single appointment. From smaller things such as forgetting to book our appointments, calling and asking about procedures I didn't have, not remembering why I was in for certain appointments - to larger things like having me wait over an hour before an IUI transfer and not telling me why or that it was ok, nurses thinking I was doing a fresh transfer 5 minutes before surgery when we paid and signed for a freeze all PGS, cancelling appointments with the actual doctor 2 minutes after telling me I am miscarrying (just to name a FEW instances).
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: they call when they say they will Weaknesses: take time to get insurance approval, takes weeks for an appointment with the doctor if THEY decide you can even have one, unorganized, lack compassion, contradict each other, it's run like a factory.
Of the 10 months I was under Brian burgers care I saw him a total of three times. One of which was only because the nurse that I know there insisted that he see us. You are not allowed to talk to the doctor. During the 2 1/2 months that are pregnancy consisted of he canceled appointments that were previously set to talk with him. Different nurses called me all of the time and everyone contradicted each other. No one ever knew who I was or why they were calling me. Does anyone look at a chart there?
The only reason I kept my sanity with the nurses at Boston IVF was because I knew Dr Bergers nursing assistant and could text or call her with all my questions when they went unanswered. Other people wouldn't be that lucky. The nursing staff is young and they have high turnover. There were different nurses calling all of the time from Quincy and Waltham. They get agitated with questions and ALL of them contradict what the other says and what the Doctor says. When they call it's as if they don't even bother to open your file beforehand. They call and ask about procedures you didn't have, they call with results and don't even know why you were in for that appointment, they misplace documents, they forget to make your appointments and they lack compassion in every sense.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Brian Berger was my first meeting about IVF. It took me 3 weeks to get an appointment to see him. During my initial IVF meeting, mixed with being new to it and Dr Berger putting on a show like he cared about me, I was excited to choose him as my doctor and get started on making a baby. Overall my experience of him is that he is conceited and too busy. When on the rare occasion we did get to see or speak to Dr Berger he seemed smug and smirked when you asked questions. My experience as a patient was that I was treated as a number. We had two failed IUI's and a miscarriage with our first IVF cycle and barely ever spoke to the actual doctor let alone see him. He has his nurses do everything. Which makes them seem overwhelmed and uninterested in patients as humans. During my 10 months under Dr Bergers care we had something go wrong with every single appointment. From smaller things such as forgetting to book our appointments, calling and asking about procedures I didn't have, not remembering why I was in for certain appointments - to larger things like having me wait over an hour before an IUI transfer and not telling me why or that it was ok, nurses thinking I was doing a fresh transfer 5 minutes before surgery when we paid and signed for a freeze all PGS, cancelling appointments with the actual doctor 2 minutes after telling me I am miscarrying (just to name a FEW instances).
Don't have high expectations
Before beginning any IVF treatments Berger ordered us do blood tests, semen analysis and hysterosalpingogram to see how my Fallopian tubes were. Blood test came back good and tubes were open. At our follow up he said my husband had low morphology and that there is nothing to help that. Suggested we do anywhere from 1 to 3 IUI's then IVF. We did two IUI's - first one failed second was a chemical pregnancy. There was nothing done after these. No additional testing. No uterine exams. We proceeded with IVF cycle which we did egg retrieval process, freeze all with Pre genetic screening, and implant. Dr Berger used estrogen pills and patches as well as progesterone in oil and crinone. My lining was a problem as it wasn't getting thick enough but Berger never increased my dosage or checked my uterus. Just eventually said it was layered enough but never reached 8mm. After an abnormal pregnancy and miscarriage at 8 1/2 weeks my HCG levels were going down very slow - only thing done here was blood tests. I found out after I left Boston IVF that there was fluid in my lining. That was never brought to my attention at Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Covered by insurance. Insurance approvals took a while. They didn't willingly offer information if it required you to pay out of pocket. I think all options should be presented and the patient should decide if they want to pay for it or not
The doctor made it known that he doesn't promote multiple embryo transfer as there are risks involved. One of the NP's also have us a lecture on why not to do multiple embryo transfer. When we were approved by insurance for single embryo transfer I asked the financial coordinator if it doesn't work can we implant 2 next time - she said no. I then asked if my husband and I were willing to pay for a second embryo to be implanted could we do that and the financial coordinator said no. After our single embryo miscarriage I found out this was not true. We are absolutely entitled to pay out of pocket for embryo transfers.
Boston
I typically speak with Kayla or Allison [nurses at Boston IVF] and they are both fantastic. They are knowledgeable and compassionate. Typically, if I am calling them it's because I need something and they are always so understanding. They always call you back and never seem to be rushed or annoyed by my many questions. There is a PACU nurse named Kris, that is an exceptional nurse and such a gift to the practice. She is also so compassionate and clearly chose the right field to practice in.
Dr. Berger is a kind and compassionate physician. He definitely treats you like a human and remembers you both on the phone and in person. Although the center is busy, I have never felt "like just another number"
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kayla)
I typically speak with Kayla or Allison and they are both fantastic. They are knowledgeable and compassionate. Typically, if I am calling them it's because I need something and they are always so understanding. They always call you back and never seem to be rushed or annoyed by my many questions. There is a PACU nurse named Kris, that is an exceptional nurse and such a gift to the practice. She is also so compassionate and clearly chose the right field to practice in.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I cannot say enough positive feedback about Dr. Berger. He is a brilliant MD who respects all of his patients. He has been compassionate to both my wife and I throughout this heartbreaking journey of infertility. He stood by us when we decided to fight our insurance company for IVF coverage (since this was an infertility issue and not just because we lacked sperm) after a heartbreaking year of trying to conceive. He was also so supportive and positive after we suffered a miscarriage.
If you are contemplating a consult or even a second opinion, I would highly recommend seeing Dr. Berger. I see that others say he can run behind schedule, just plan for the time. Once in the room with him, you will have his undivided attention. That is much more important to me than someone running on time. I expect that from routine visits but not from something as emotional as a visit with your RE.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Everything was covered by insurance after I completed 6 IUI that was out of pocket
We did eSET for the 1st 2 transfers as it was required by BCBS of MA. We would have done 2 embryos after the first transfer failed and he supported that.
South Shore
They [Boston IVF] were sensitive to my situation and didn't treat me like the "next patient"...You will be making blood work appointments with set times, but there's a sign in sheer too. So if you need to get in and out, it's best to get there early and sign up first for your time slot. A strength they have is their phlebotomists.... they are absolutely wonderful for people who have anxieties about needles.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
You will be making blood work appointments with set times, but there's a sign in sheer too. So if you need to get in and out, it's best to get there early and sign up first for your time slot. A strength they have is their phlebotomists.... they are absolutely wonderful for people who have anxieties about needles. I hate them and they made it the most pleasant blood draw I've ever had
They were sensitive to my situation and didn't treat me like the "next patient"
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
They are all great. From the front desk to the phlebotomist, to the nurses. They're sympathetic to how your feeling and speak in a very ca manor. They call and follow up with the information as they get it.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Dr Thornton explained the process thoroughly using language that I could understand. She even drew pictures which made it easy to understand a complicated process. She also was very direct and didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, she told me what I needed to hear. Since I am 43, nothing is a guarantee.
Don't go in with the expectation you absolutely will be able to get pregnant, there are tests to be done to see if you're a candidate or not
I had to take the pill for two weeks to jump start the ovaries. Then once I got mt period, I started gonal f, HCG, cetrotide, and ovidrel. I needed to get my ovaries ready for egg retrieval. The meds made me feel tired, bloated, and a little nauseous. My ovaries were get getting enlarged. I get blood work and an ultrasound tomorrow to figure out the next round of injections.
My appts are covered by my insurance . Normal dr appt were 25$.
2014 - 2017
IUI, 1 IVF
I only saw one doctor (not including anesthesiologists) at Boston IVF which I really liked. The nurses are quick to call you back. They have floating sonographers so I hardly saw the same person twice for ultrasounds. The receptionist is wonderful, but the backup receptionist is not warm at all. They just redesigned their website, and while it looks nicer, it's too "marketing" and not "caring" enough for me...
2014 - 2017
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Dr. Lannon has always been very personable with me. He's always made me feel very comfortable and like I mattered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
It took me a bit to warm to Amy. She covers information quickly and is very frank which can come off as uncaring, but she's great once you get to know her a bit better.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is a stellar doctor who has always communicated well with me. He's honest but warm, personable, and analytical. His bedside manner is impeccable and he has a good sense of humor. We had mixed results with our embryos and I had some complications throughout my treatment, but I always felt a strong sense of empathy from him and felt like we were in this together.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm pretty inquisitive and Dr. Lannon was always happy to share his knowledge. He explains things when asked, but he might not offer up information without a prompt.
After rounds Clomid and a couple failed IUIs with another doctor, I saw Dr. Lannon for a full round of IVF. He first did a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to ensure my tubes weren't blocked, then we started the IVF cycle. Stimulation: Gonal-F and Lupron. Retrieval: general anesthesia. Transfer: transferred two fresh 5-day embryos and froze three more. Subsequent frozen transfers have consisted of Estradiol pills and patches, and progesterone suppositories (Crinone before the drug price skyrocketed, Endometrin after). Before my final transfer, Dr. Lannon recommended/performed a hysteroscopy on me due to retained placental product which called for general anesthesia.
In 2014, IVF: $8,300 paid in full before process began (included pre-op; follicle monitoring; serum hormone assays during stimulation; egg retrieval; sperm prep; anesthesia; transfer; post-op). My initial meds were $4,000. Embryo freezing: $1,750. ICSI: $2,500. Other fees (we did not incur): $500 anesthesia at transfer; $1,000 assisted hatching. Patients can apply for financial aid and must submit two years of tax returns.
Describe Benjamin Lannon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I requested the initial transfer of two embryos and Dr. Lannon obliged. Subsequent transfers have been singles.
South Portland
Dr Thornton has a great ability to explain complicated processes. I know the general gist of what happens but she literally drew out a map of the process. I know it's more complicated but it made it easier for me to follow ans understand. And she tells us like it is. She didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, she told me what I needed to hear...I just started. So the only protocols I started was first with the birth control pill. This is to "jump start" my ovaries. Once I get a period after stopping the pill, I'll get a blood test the next day and then I'll start the injections. The lady I spoke with about the injections was super helpful and figured out a way that I could do one injection a night with all the medication instead of 3 injections! Very helpful, I'm not a fan of needles.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
While you may have an appt time for blood work, there's still a sign in sheet and you get taken in by the list. So If you need to get out of your appt quickly, it's good to get there a little earlier than your appt.
Dr Thornton didn't hide any realities from me because of my age. She told me things I needed to know and not pretend that it's garauntee that I'll become pregnant. And her staff are the nicest, warm, caring people. It's tough to go through this and everyone there treats you like a person, definitely not a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
She treated me with respect. Her and her team has a motherly, caring aspect about them which made me feel comfortable given what I'll be going through shortly. Just a great team to work with, all the way to the ultrasound team and the phlebotomists, they are fabulously talented and kept me calm at all times
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be ready to hear the real facts if you're in the grey area of becomming pregnant. She doesn't hide reality.
My health insurance covered a good portion of appointments. I'm not sure if the cost yet going forward. Waltham is a certified wellness center and I get and extra 10k$ towards my lifetime IVF coverage
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Waltham IVF only does single egg transfers. This reduces the risk of injury to the mother and babies should Multi births happen. This is fine by me.
2013 - 2017
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
After I had arranged for a known donor for sperm, Sharon [at Boston IVF] left me a terrible message that broke my heart. I played the message 5 times because it was so confusing. She told me that my donor was approved and that we could move forward with the process. Then in the second breath, she said that the donor was not approved by the FDA because he's gay and lives in a European country where they have mad cow disease. So I wasn't sure what to think and was panicked because I had just flown this man over and paid for all of his testing. I felt like the information she shared with me should have been provided in advance of all of the expenditures. When I called her to ask for an explanation, it was inadequate and she didn't understand in the least what a confusing and upsetting situation she created. I immediately asked her to be removed from my care team.
2013 - 2017
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Most of my testing was done at Waltham IVF. For the most part, the testing is readily available and at convenient times. All blood tests are done in the morning and unfortunately, the clinic is located in a place where rush hour traffic impacts the ability to get there on any weekday. Not only did I have to go in every 3 days for pregnancy tests, but when my pregnancy didn't work out I had to keep going back for HCG tests. So every morning this took hours out of my day. I finally asked if there was any way that I could get a simple blood test at my local doctors office or anywhere else. Again, I had to manage my own care and ask to use Quest Diagnostics for my blood test. It ended up that there is an office one block from my house and I could have saved so much time by going there in the first place. Another time, I was told by my donor coordinator to "come in for labs." So when I got there and signed in, I wasn't sure which box to check for testing. I wasn't sure if it was blood, ultrasound, ETC. So every time somebody came out and saw my name on the list with no check box, they ignored me. I sat there for an hour with no one checking the records to see what kind of test I needed. It was woefully inadequate and completely unprofessional.
I can't count how many times the nursing staff and donor staff gave me inaccurate directions based on premenopausal women. Things like "let us know when your next period is" so we can move to the next step in the process, when I haven't had a period in over 4 years. It made it feel incredibly impersonal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
After I had arranged for a known donor for sperm, Sharon left me a terrible message that broke my heart. I played the message 5 times because it was so confusing. She told me that my donor was approved and that we could move forward with the process. Then in the second breath, she said that the donor was not approved by the FDA because he's gay and lives in a European country where they have mad cow disease. So I wasn't sure what to think and was panicked because I had just flown this man over and paid for all of his testing. I felt like the information she shared with me should have been provided in advance of all of the expenditures. When I called her to ask for an explanation, it was inadequate and she didn't understand in the least what a confusing and upsetting situation she created. I immediately asked her to be removed from my care team.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
By all means, Dr. Brian Berger is one of the leading infertility practitioners out there. I was thrilled that he took on my complicated case as a single woman who went through early menopause and would need to use both donor egg and donor sperm in order to have a child. Although he wasn't the most assessable person comma when I did schedule appointments, whether by phone or in person, he took an incredible amount of time to answer my questions in detail. One of the things I loved about him is his bedside manner. The compassion he showed always put me at ease no matter what I was asking or the difficulty of the explanation. I wish I could say the same for his staff which I thought should be completely replaced they're so bad! This mainly applies to the extended staff at the Waltham Clinic. Other than the lab staff, and the wonderful woman at the front desk, the rest really didn't have a clue about my treatment plan and consistently gave me wrong directions. I had to take my treatment and my knowledge of the process sees into my own hands time and time again.
Be prepared to spend more than you budgeted! Boston IVF is terrible at giving accurate numbers on ehat you'll spend and I am now double what I had budgeted. But with 9 frozen, high quality embryos, I have to keep going.
After many rounds of IUI with another doctor, I went through early menopause and needed to consider other options. From the first time I met with Dr. Berger, he laid out the options and consistently worked with me to choose the best one for my situation. My diagnosis with pre ovarian failure and donor egg donor sperm with a fresh transfer is what we did the first time around. I have nine Frozen embryos and dr. Berger will be doing my next transfer next week.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
When I made the decision to move ahead with treatment, I told Dr. Berger that my goals were to spend $25,000 and to attempt the process three to four times. At this point, it has cost me twice as much and I've only gone through a fresh transfer one time with a pending frozen transfer scheduled for next week. No one at the clinic seem to be able to give me an accurate breakdown of costs at any point during my treatment even though I asked for it. And the information they provided was not laid out in a sensible way and did not take into consideration unique circumstances. My donor egg process was the part that was so much more expensive than I ever could have imagined. Boston IVF never gave me a realistic expectation of this additional cost .
As a single woman, the clinic I highly encourage me to only transfer one at a time for "social" reasons. They actually asked me what I would do with two children! It was offensive. In addition, when I asked about increased chances of having one child by transferring two embryos, they couldn't give me any statistics. This may be true of any doctor and not just Boston IVF.
Waltham
A strength of the clinic [Boston IVF] is that it seemed to be pretty state of the art and technically advanced (although I don't know how it actually compares to others). The clinic also felt professional and like a well-oiled machine (which can be a pro and a con)...There were maybe 2 or 3 people on the nursing staff that I dealt with frequently and then another 3 to 6 people I dealt with just once or twice. It was hard to keep them all straight. They were generally friendly and informative. My only way to contact them was by phone and they didn't always pick up, so that was annoying
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the clinic recently changed ownership and their policies and procedures have changed for the worse. I had 2 IVF cycles (2 retrievals, 2 transfers), one in late 2016 and the other in early 2017. The first retrieval/transfer felt much more patient friendly than the second one. For the second retrieval, I felt much more like I was a number and they were trying to rush me out of there. An example is the first time they let me stay as long as I needed to recover and made sure I could pee before I left. The second time they got me out the door soon afterwards. The first time they had snacks in the waiting room and let me eat and drink as much as I wanted during recovery. The second time they still gave me a snack, but it was much more limited. They also used to have water and snacks in the waiting room for transfers and retrievals, but they didn't the second time I went. There wasn't even a pitcher of water in the waiting room anymore (which seemed silly since you're supposed to drink lots of water before a transfer). There were lots of little changes like these that felt like they were just trying to save money and made me feel like a number instead of a person. None of these things were deal breakers for me or that big of a deal, but it was disappointing to see these kinds of changes. A strength of the clinic is that it seemed to be pretty state of the art and technically advanced (although I don't know how it actually compares to others). The clinic also felt professional and like a well-oiled machine (which can be a pro and a con).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
The doctor gave us the information we needed to make decisions and was not judgmental. She empathized and answered all of our questions. She did seem a tiny bit rushed at times.
There were maybe 2 or 3 people on the nursing staff that I dealt with frequently and then another 3 to 6 people I dealt with just once or twice. It was hard to keep them all straight. They were generally friendly and informative. My only way to contact them was by phone and they didn't always pick up, so that was annoying, especially since infertility patients often have questions and are worried about everything. When I got a call about the test results (the negative and later the positive pregnancy test), the nurse who called with the news seemed genuinely disappointed/excited for me.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. DiGirolamo was very informative, straightforward, and matter of fact. She was compassionate and empathized with us, but focused discussions on the treatment. My husband likes numbers, facts, statistics, and focusing on the problem at hand while I prefer doctors who are friendly and make me feel like I matter. Despite these differences in preference, my husband and I both really liked Dr. DiGirolamo. She frequently let my husband and I discuss our options while she just listened quietly. She wouldn't interrupt us unless we asked her a question or she had relevant information to add. Also, she never tried to push us toward one treatment or option. She simply gave us the facts and let us make our own decision.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Make sure you write down your questions beforehand and ask everything you want to know more about. Sometimes she seems a bit rushed, but she will always take time to answer all of your questions and explain anything you don't understand.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I did 2 rounds of IVF. The first cycle I used birth control pills for a month and then I think I did Lupron and Gonal-F injections once a day. The first cycle, many of the eggs retrieved were immature. Only a few embryos made it to Day 3 and we got a negative pregnancy test. Because of the low number of mature eggs, she changed my protocol for the second cycle. The second cycle I did not use birth control pills (she said it would suppress me too much). I forget what meds I used. During the stimulation period I had to do a micro-dose injection twice a day (Lupron?) and another injection (Gonal-F) once a day. I also had to wait a few hours longer between my trigger and retrieval than the first time, to let my eggs fully mature. I am now 14-weeks pregnant with a single baby.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
The monitoring appointments were conveniently scheduled in the morning, so I could go before work (I think the hours were 6-9AM). It was kind of confusing how they scheduled the appointment times. They asked you to schedule a specific time, but then it was mostly just first come first served. It seemed like they didn't really care what time you were there during that window. For ultrasound appointments they seemed a bit more strict about the appointments and schedule. The blood work was kind of a free for all (first come first serve). Most of the time I only had to wait a few minutes (less than 10) to do the monitoring. Two or three times I had to wait for about an hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
For each IVF cycle, the clinic charged $9000. My other costs (appointments, genetic testing, infertility testing, etc.) were a total of about $300 after my insurance coverage.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
My doctor did not say much of anything about this issue. I had done a great deal of research about it beforehand, on my own, and was strongly in favor of doing a single transfer. Maybe the doctor didn't discuss it with us because it was clear we understood the pros and cons. At one point my husband and I disagreed and looked to her to provide her medical advice (or to act as the tiebreaker), and she mentioned the pros and cons but said it was entirely up to us. We did decide to do a single transfer both times, but I wish she had been a bit more insistent about the importance of doing a single transfer.
Carla DiGirolamo
Boston
You have a main nursing line [at Boston IVF] you call with many nurses calling back. All were nice, but some were more patient and compassionate than others...2nd round is about $17,500 plus meds and genetics...Weaknesses - Dr. Berger has a busy schedule so you sometimes have to wait weeks to see him and appointments are sometimes by phone vs. in person. Long waits to see him as well - the 2 times we've gone it's been over an hour wait. Strength Dr. Berger created the protocol we were assigned to so you know you're in good hands. He's very patient while you're with him and kind. He's optimistic but doesn't give false hope.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
You only get to see Dr. Berger at your initial consult and then again after the retrieval to get results. There's a long wait but when you're with him, he takes his time and you don't feel rushed. It's just hard not to feel like a number - you can tell they do this day in and day out and the info can be really overwhelming - if you don't advocate for yourself you could get lost in the system.
You have a main nursing line you call with many nurses calling back. All were nice, but some were more patient and compassionate than others.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
We came to Dr. Berger after finding out that MGH was closing their lab in December 2016 which would have delayed our first treatment cycle. We found Dr. Berger to be very informative and more encouraging than Dr. Toth had been. The wait to see him is always an hour at least, but when you're with him you get the sense that he's very engaged in the conversation and not rushed.
Come prepared and do your research - ask lots of questions and leave the office asking "what is next". Ask about the protocols that they're recommending and what alternative there are. Ask about the medications and what each one does and ask about the treatment plan, how often you'll be in monitoring, what to expect at the retrieval and next steps. Ask whether genetic testing is worth it. Just ask...
Start with Estradiol and then injections start- Gonal F, HCG, Cetrotide, Ovidrel Leutal Estrogen Protocol - FSH
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
insurance covered our first round. 2nd round is about $17,500 plus meds and genetics
We haven't gotten that far yet
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The clinic struggled with many administrative tasks....Boston IVF has any doctor on any given day do any procedure even if your doctor is managing the case...[nursing staff] Incorrect information conveyed, inability to count cycle days, inability to really know what they were doing...During my IUIs, one time the stirrup moved A LOT and I felt that this impacted the administration of frozen donor sperm. The clinician did not listen to me as I was telling her the stirrup was moving too much. I felt extraordinary pain afterwards. I expressed upset/concern to staff.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
During my IUIs, one time the stirrup moved A LOT and I felt that this impacted the administration of frozen donor sperm. The clinician did not listen to me as I was telling her the stirrup was moving too much. I felt extraordinary pain afterwards. I expressed upset/concern to staff. I was called by a head nurse or ombudsperson and expressed my concern. Absolutely NOTHING was done about this and they denied that this was ever an issue. I was so upset at the entire community of staff that denied it was a problem and their insistence that this was a successful IUI. How could they deny it? Surely, they didn't care about patient safety or adequate procedures.
Dr. Zimon spent over a year getting to know me and guiding the process of IUIs and IVF. She strongly advocated for me with IVF failed. It failed partially due to human error, because the doctor assigned to do the retrieval only spent 5 minutes trying to retrieve the egg on the left ovary and gave up trying after 5 minutes. That was Dr. Alper doing the retrieval (Boston IVF has any doctor on any given day do any procedure even if your doctor is managing the case). Dr. Alper didn't know my case or how hard I worked to losing 60 lbs prior to egg retrieval. He didn't know how hard I worked for over a year and a half leading up to IVF. So this is partially a negative report on him as much as it is a positive report on Dr. Zimon. My left ovary had the most mature follicles, but the doctor didn't retrieve them. Regardless, the doctor retrieved the right ovary follicles and even though I was 43, the immature follicle fertilized and became a 4b embryo on day 3. When my insurance refused to cover IVF a second time because I was just about to turn 44 (maybe 3 weeks shy of my 44th birthday), Dr. Zimon advocated that I had lost 60 lbs, and her colleague didn't obtain the mature follicle for my first IVF. Unfortunately, just after this, Dr. Zimon left Boston IVF and I was without any way to move forward with appeals. The whole thing ruined my life because now I can't have my own kids. I gave Boston IVF way too much time to get through the 6 IUIs to finally get to IVF. My fertility numbers got worse over the year and they should have strongly advocated at the very beginning to start with IVF rather than waste time with 6 IUIs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: all of them at Boston IVF)
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Zimon was extremely personable, but when it came to certain things, she didn't have much faith in me. For example, after working with her for a year scheduling and doing natural IUIs, when she challenged me to decrease my BMI to a certain number so I could do IVF, she exclaimed she didn't think I'd do it - after I lost all the weight she required. It was disheartening. She is a compassionate doctor, and very much interested in seeing you do well, but there was always something off about her care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Zimon will meet you at your level but she doesn't exceed expectations. If you show her you're working hard to understand your infertility, then she will match you on that. Unfortunately, she doesn't go above and beyond to understand your unexplained infertility. She assumes it might be an age issue, AMH issue, but she doesn't really try to find out if there's something wrong with immunology or other things that could explain it.
My first and only IVF was estrogen priming micro dose lupron flare. I was stimming a bit longer than expected, the follicles were growing slowly. Dr. Zimon was inaccessible and I felt like I was scared and frustrated that I didn't know why they were growing so slowly and no one talked with me about it. In the end, there were some beautiful follicles on my left ovary, and the best was unable to be retrieved due to the other doctor on the case (Dr. Michael Alper), spending literally only five minutes and failing to retrieve the best follicle on my left ovary!! He did not even try to get it, didn't seem to realize this was the most important thing in my life -- that 5 minutes was not enough time to spend getting it. The right ovary had the more immature follicle, so it was retrieved, miraculously fertilized, resulting in negative pregnancy test for my only IVF cycle ever. HOW AWFUL!!!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
IUIs not covered ($450 each), IVF was covered by my insurance. I paid for frozen donor sperm.
2013 - 2016
The billing dept [at Boston IVF] was very helpful in arranging all of the details for insurance and other than co pays and deductibles, everything was covered...We love Boston IVF- every office (Quincy, Waltham and Brookline) that we used was great. We like that they have a policy of not encouraging children to be in the clinic- it is helpful to not be reminded of what you don't have and desperately want every time you go to the doctor. Also, having the Domar center in Waltham was excellent. I took advantage of the acupuncture for every insemination and transfer.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Dr. Ryley was very supportive and encouraging and very accepting of us being a gay couple. Dr. Ryley's language and approach was always professional and understanding and tailored to our specific situation and needs.
Thy were all very helpful and knowledgeable and available at any hour of the night to take phone calls and answer any questions we had.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
We love Dr. Ryley and we're completely satisfied with our experience with him. He was always honest with what we should expect and clear with what the course of action would be. We always felt that we were in excellent hands.
Trust him and Boston IVF - Stay the course, though it might take a while, and if it is possible for you to get pregnant, Dr. Ryley will do everything he can to make it happen.
I don't remember all the specifics. We had tried ICIs by ourselves and IUIs with a family friend who is an OB/GYN and they didn't produce a live birth. We went to Dr. Ryley after I had a miscarriage. He suggested many tests to make sure everything was working properly, which we appreciated because we wouldn't want to go through more cycles if something was wrong. We then did a few more rounds of IUIs with drugs but they didn't work. Then Dr. RYley suggested IVF- and explained the procedure very clearly. Though it was overwhelming, Dr. Ryley and all of his nurses and staff were very helpful in explaining everything every step of the way. We did the course of drugs for the egg retrieval, got 20 eggs, 4 of which fertilized. One didn't survive, we transferred one and it didn't work, the second one worked, and produced a healthy baby boy. We froze the 4th one for two years and just transferred it 9 months ago and Just gave birth to another baby boy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
The billing dept was very helpful in arranging all of the details for insurance and other than co pays and deductibles, everything was covered.
We didn't want to produce multiple births so we only transferred one at a time. It was more of our decision and Dr. Ryley supported it.
Brookline
First off, any time I called to ask a question the receptionist would hurry me off the phone like I was bothering her and used a very unfriendly tone. If you are a self-pay patient like me (insurance will not cover any of my treatments) you must pay for the treatment or consults you are having in advance before they will even let you make the appointment. This has to be done through their website with a credit card. After your payment is accepted then they will take your call to make an appointment. This continued to make me feel like a number and the entire practice just felt like a business trying to make as much money as they could a and not a care team....The clinic [Boston IVF] is pretty simple, I thought it would actually be a little nicer for the amount of money patients are paying for the service. I did like that they had coffee in the Lobby though for the patients.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is pretty simple, I thought it would actually be a little nicer for the amount of money patients are paying for the service. I did like that they had coffee in the Lobby though for the patients.
I did not have a very positive experience at Boston IVF. First off, any time I called to ask a question the receptionist would hurry me off the phone like I was bothering her and used a very unfriendly tone. If you are a self-pay patient like me (insurance will not cover any of my treatments) you must pay for the treatment or consults you are having in advance before they will even let you make the appointment. This has to be done through their website with a credit card. After your payment is accepted then they will take your call to make an appointment. This continued to make me feel like a number and the entire practice just felt like a business trying to make as much money as they could a and not a care team. Dr. Lannon I would rate as Ok, he really did not give me any new information that I already didn't know and was not upfront about all my options (pushed IVF hard before trying anything else). I would not recommend Boston IVF South Portland to anyone I know.
I met with one nurse that was very nice who did one of our IUI's but the others often made me feel like a number and just seemed like they wanted to get me out of there as soon as possible. They spoke very quickly, often did not make eye contact and did not spend any time listening to my questions.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
I always felt like a number, when we met with him for our first consult I felt as though he was giving me the same info he had given every patient. Nothing felt individualized. He also pushed IVF very hard on us and did not let me know all my options. I did 2 IUI's at Boston IVF which were done by nurses. I never saw him after our initial consult.
I would say advocate for what you need and want because he is not very straight forward.
He used Clomid and we did 2 IUI's. We did not do anything else with him because we did not feel comfortable.
IUI's were $500, I did not do IVF but the price I was quoted was $8000 for the procedure and $4-5000 for the medication.
We did not do this.
South Portland
The people at the clinic [Boston IVF], because they do this every day, would talk about procedures or results like I should already know what they were talking about. A lot of times, though, I didn't, which was very frustrating...I was not crazy about my experience with [Nurse] Carol. I felt she was very scattered and rushed, and I never really understood what was coming next. I asked a lot of questions and I started to feel like she thought I was taking up too much of her time.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The front desk staff are great, as are the phlebotomists and the ultrasound techs- these are the people that you see on a regular basis. The hours of the clinic were good- during the monitoring period I could have my blood and ultrasounds done starting at 6am so I didn't have to miss work, which was VERY helpful.
The first cycle was the hardest, because I felt like I didn't understand exactly what was going on. The people at the clinic, because they do this every day, would talk about procedures or results like I should already know what they were talking about. A lot of times, though, I didn't, which was very frustrating.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: They were two- Meg and Carol)
I was not crazy about my experience with Carol. I felt she was very scattered and rushed, and I never really understood what was coming next. I asked a lot of questions and I started to feel like she thought I was taking up too much of her time. I do want to add that those feelings were from my first cycle, which was all new and very overwhelming. I did two more cycles after that and had a much better experience with her. I don't know if that was because she improved or because I already had a basic idea of what to expect, or both.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I had a positive experience with Dr. Sneeringer. I felt she listened and gave thorough explanations for both procedures and the reasoning behind it. She was compassionate and supportive. Ultimately though, I interacted with her nurses on a more daily basis. I would see Dr. Sneeringer to follow up and go over results, but my day to day treatment (injections, monitoring, etc) were done by the support staff.
To really make sure that you are comfortable with the support staff, since that's who you'll be interacting with on a regular basis.
Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics of my protocols. I went through one IUI and three unsuccessful cycles of IVF.
I was very fortunate that our insurance covered almost everything but the genetic testing, which I believe was around $2000.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We chose to transfer one embryo at a time, as my husband was terrified of multiples. Our egg harvesting was not great, so after genetic testing we generally only had one viable embryo anyway.
Waltham
I wasn't called back after a follicle monitoring appointment. It was my PGD cycle and I knew that my protocol was unlikely to change and that I was in a bad cell phone signal area. That said nobody left a message and when I finally got hold of the out of hours Doctor they were very apologetic. Turns out my phone wasn't taking messages. They do however have my email address and were never slow to send me billing emails so I was annoyed by this.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston Ivf is a well oiled machine. You may feel like cattle but for me I liked that this is all they do. I love that they have satellite offices so I didn't always have to drive to Waltham. The PGD nurse I had wasn't good at calling back and nor was she compassionate. Find out the name of the nurse who works for your RE and call him/her if you're not getting answers from the PGD Coordinator. I didn't love the financial department either. Check your bills. They seemed to have some glitches there.
Dr Penzias really spent time talking about my unique situation (unicornuate uterus) and reassured me that pregnancy was achievable with my own eggs. He appreciated my need to have as much information as possible and never made me feel as if I was being stupid or asking too many questions. In fact he told me to always call if I had any questions. He said that something that could keep me awake for days could be answered in two minutes so to always call. After consults with him I sometimes thought of another question and he would always pick up, tell me it was a good question and answer it thoughtfully. He's a nice man, very factual but with a good bedside manner and a reassuring smile!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Tanner)
I felt Sarah Tanner was a wonderful nurse. She was compassionate when delivering bad news and kind. When she had good news I could hear the excitement in her tone. She was excellent at returning calls promptly. I had a different nurse for my PGD and she was awful. Terrible at returning calls, I had to call Sarah Tanner frequently to get info. Once she failed to call me back to tell me if my protocol had changed. I had to call out of hours to get the information.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Penzias was a great RE. I feel he had a lot of experience and was still ready to try new approaches. He did an ERA for me when nobody had really heard of it. In fact my sample was sent to Spain for analysis! He did the killer cells test at my request even though at that point I had not had a miscarriage. He asked my opinion on whether I would prefer a controlled or natural cycle transfer and then discussed why he thought my choice was the one he would have recommended. I felt as in control as you can in an out of control process! He didn't do all of my transfers or retrievals but controlled all of my cycles.
Ask questions. He has a factual rapid fire way of giving facts. Don't be scared to ask him to repeat or elaborate. Take notes if you need to!
I did estrogen priming followed by menopur and follistim (aka gonal f) I did Ivf 3 times and each time my doses were increased as my age also increased. My final and successful cycle I was taking 525 follistim which is very high but it did the trick. As follicles reached their size I took cetrotide to stop ovulation followed by Ovidrel. My protocol did not change but my doses always did. I always got more than 8 eggs and many made it to day 5 each time.
Around 10,00 for a round of Ivf plus meds. About $300 for FET
I had to do eSET because I only have half a uterus so multiples can be high risk. When I had multiple negative tests we became more brave and transferred 2, then 3 embryos. When I did PGD testing and had a viable embryo we only transferred one
Anovulation, Other
Anovulation, Other
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF Waltham is the best of the best. They have the best medical team, the best surgeons, the best nurses, embryologists, anesthesiologists, and the most experience. My best experience was with the egg retrieval and the embryo transfer. Dr. Riley did both the retrieval and the transfer, and he was amazing. His staff was also amazing - so kind and gentle, very reassuring that they would do everything in their power to help us make a baby, and I trust that they did. We were in very good hands. Boston IVF literally has video cameras in the embryology lab to watch each embryo so they don't have to disrupt them by handling the petri-dishes - that's amazing. They also gave us a photo of our 7-cell embryo, and did a mock transfer before the real transfer. We were able to watch the transfer on the ultrasound - the entire experience was incredible. They can't guarantee you that it will work, and in our case it didn't work, but know that it's the best team, with the best technology, and the most experience, and they are doing everything in their power to help you have a baby.
Cycle 1 at BIVF Worcester was a mess. The short version is that cycle 1 was cancelled due to poor response on stimulation day 7 on a Saturday, over a long holiday weekend, by nurse Tanya who seemed to have no idea what was going on. When we finally had the post-cycle consult, found out that Dr. Thornton did NOT cancel my cycle; she was on vacation. The on-call Dr. cancelled it. She said she would have made the same decision. As a patient under her care during the most critical time in an IVF cycle, we should have been alerted that she was going on vacation and been given the contact info of the on-call Doctor, all of which we told her. For Cycle 2 we made the decision to move all appointments to BIVF Waltham, and it was a completely different experience. It was well run, the nurses, ultrasound and blood techs were all great. We worked mainly with Kathy, Dr. Thornton's nurse in Waltham, and she was fantastic! Kathy was responsive, personable, and cared about us. She was also able to get in touch with Dr. Thornton when we needed her to, which was huge.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kathy )
Kathy was amazing. She was kind and on-top of all the details. During my mock cycle I had a very bad reaction to the estrogen (severe hot flash, extreme dizziness, nauseous) while I was traveling for work, and I was able to reach her via email through out the entire weekend. For the first time, somebody actually checked in on me to see how I was feeling or what the side effects were, and if I was OK to continue. It went a long way with me because she treated me like a person. And on top of that, she was able to coordinate a call with Dr. Thornton when I got home so that I could speak to her directly, which was very reassuring.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
We have met with Dr Thornton 3x over 7 months. The initial consult was Dec 23, 2 days before Christmas, in the Worcester office. She had the uncomfortable job of delivering life changing, devastating news - that couldn't have been easy. I was 28 and my blood work showed Premature Ovarian "Insufficiency" (Failure). She was clear that the odds of us conceiving naturally were about 5% if I was ovulating, which I was not. She's a straight shooter and I respect that about her. She didn't sugarcoat anything just to make us feel better and didn't create any sense of false hope. She was direct. There was no hand-holding. I felt that she had put the best plan together for my specific situation, and trusted her medical expertise. Dr. Thornton felt that we needed to be aggressive and move straight to IVF. Anything less than that would be a waste of time. I appreciated that she felt the same urgency. We started the full panel of diagnostic testing 5 days later to rule out genetic disorder and prep for IVF. The 2nd time we met was in February at the Worcester office after all the diagnostic testing. The plan was to proceed with IVF knowing that we won’t get many eggs, but hoping that they will be excellent quality due to my age. The 3rd time we met was in April at the Waltham office after IVF Cycle 1 was cancelled during day 7 of stimulations, over a holiday long-weekend. My body sort-of responded, but nowhere near the anticipated response given near-normal AMH and Follicle count of 8 in January. The blood work/AFC counts didn’t line up with the results. She was clear that IVF only works when you have follicles that respond to stimulation. If you don’t have follicles to stimulate, IVF can’t help make eggs that aren’t there. We decided to do an estrogen-priming cycle, change the ratio of meds, and push the dosage to 600iu. We also decided to do a mock cycle to prep the paperwork for Donor Eggs and attend the Donor Egg seminar at BIVF in case IVF Cycle 2 didn't work.
Make the commitment and go to the Waltham office for the best care. All of the ultrasounds are recorded on video and it allows the doctors to see what the ultrasound tech sees in real time, significantly better than printed out screen-grabs, or handwritten data. Also be aware that if the odds of IVF working is 25%, that means that 75% of the IVF cycles are failing. Yes, IVF gives you a chance that you may not have otherwise had, but it's not a magic bullet and it doesn't fix everything. Keep your own log of everything - it will help you advocate for yourself. Write down notes, dates and times of appointments, names of the nurses, what the results were for all of the tests. Keep track of invoices and health insurance coverage - otherwise you may get stuck with the bill.
Birth Control Pill for 2 months while waiting for insurance approval. CoQ10 to help improve egg quality. Levothyroxine for thyroid (within normal range but higher than ideal for pregnancy). Continued prenatal vitamins. IVF Cycle 1: 450iu total does of stimulations. 300iu Gonal F Redijet Pen, 150 Menopur daily injections. Stimulation day 5, blood and ultrasound. AFC: 2 - 4 in left and right ovary. Estrogen 33. Nurse warned that cycle may be cancelled if estrogen didn't increase, but that it we had a chance. Stimulation day 7, blood and ultrasound. AFC: 2 - 4 in left and right ovary, 1 10mm follicle in left. Estrogen 80. Tanya (nurse) called - cycle cancelled. Mock Cycle to prep for Donor Egg in case IVF Cycle 2 doesn't work. Estrogen Patch, 2mg Estrace pill 2x daily for 3 weeks, then ultrasound/blood work to check AFC, uterus lining (8mm needed for Donor Egg cycle). Then Prometrium 200mg for 7 days to induce period. IVF Cycle 2: 600iu total dose of stimulations. Menopur 450 iu, Gonal F 150iu daily injections for 14 days Stimulation day 6, blood and ultrasound: AFC: 2 to 4 in left and right ovary. Estrogen 17.95. Instructed to continue injections, next appointment in 3 days. Stimulation day 9, blood and ultrasound: Left AFC: 2 to 4, Left Follicle: 11.7mm, Right AFC: One, Right Follicle: 10.14mm. Estrogen 183. Instructed to continue injections, next appointment in 2 days. Stimulation day 11, blood and ultrasound, Left AFC: 2 to 4, Left Follicle: 10.5mm Right AFC: One, Right Follicles: 15.47mm,14.24mm. Estrogen 370. Instructed to keep taking 450 menopur, 150 gonal F, add cetrotide 25mg to suppress ovulation. Next appointment in 2 days. Stimulation day 13, blood and ultrasound, Left AFC: 2 to 4, Left Follicle: 11.35mm Right AFC: 2 to 4, Right Follicles: 18.55mm,17.48mm. Estrogen 610. Instructed 450 Menopur, 150 Gonal F, and 25 of Cetrotide tonight. OR Nurse will call on Friday with instructions on when to inject Ovidrel (trigger) and schedule retrieval on Sunday! Stimulation day 14, Ovidrel 250mcg at 9:30pm Egg retrieval @ BIVF Waltham 36 hours later. Retrieved 2 eggs, 1 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of "textbook perfect, High Implantation Potential, 7-cell embryo". Begin crinone 8% daily until beta test. Period starts 1 day before beta test, instructed to continue crinone and come in for blood pregnancy test anyways. HCG 0.343 mIU/ml, negative. Follow up appointment scheduled in 12 days.
over $50,000 for all diagnostic testing, cycle monitoring, medicine.
2013 - 2016
Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they [staff at Boston IVF] had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
We were very concerned by a couple incidents. First, they had a typo that led them to miscount the number of vials of sperm we had used. This raised a number of red flags for us, as the only reason we have confidence that the baby inside us is in fact our own is our level of confidence in their data management system. Second, the insurance coordinator forgot to call us after getting approval for one cycle. I had to call her and she claimed she had called me several days previous because she "always did."
He has a very good bedside manner. Almost too good - I think he was overly optimistic about our chances of success on multiple occasions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi or Susan depending on the cycle)
We were frustrated on multiple occasions at the lack of coordination and organization on the part of the nursing and administrative staff. Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Just make sure you consider factors besides bedside manner. He was very friendly and we connected on a personal level but ultimately we were not that happy with our experience at the clinic.
I had insurance
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Strengths [at Boston IVF] : clinic is very integrated and all processes are well established; billing is transparent; patient is educated and informed ahead of procedures; clinic works through several locations 7d/week Weaknesses: communication with staff can be tedious due to practice of having to leave messages and waiting for call back; this was especially difficult for egg donor who was employed and couldn't talk freely at her work place easily
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: clinic is very integrated and all processes are well established; billing is transparent; patient is educated and informed ahead of procedures; clinic works through several locations 7d/week Weaknesses: communication with staff can be tedious due to practice of having to leave messages and waiting for call back; this was especially difficult for egg donor who was employed and couldn't talk freely at her work place easily
Very accessible and sympathetic, always expressing concern for success and well-being, open to my own thoughts and concerns, always took a lot of time to address and answer all my questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi Atherton)
Everyone was competent and tried to be supportive and helpful; some have more compassion and a warmer approach to patients than others
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He is very open and doesn't judge; he always answered all our questions carefully and was sympathetic to difficult / negative feelings and offered a positive outlook; he was available by phone even in the evening; he always tried to explain treatments so we would understand and used visual aids
Don't automatically assume every woman over 40 years is "defective"; check if she could do a natural (unmedicated) transfer before administering typical protocols with hormones
Several strategies with bcp and different dosages of Bravelle plus Menopur, Gonal-F and Lupron as well as Ganirelix. Treatment of thin lining with various estrogen formulations (patches, tablets). Cycle leading to pregnancy was unmedicated with progesterone support after transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Drugs were typically filled by specialty pharmacies and I didn't shop around: costs ran from 50-1000$ per cycle. Fees and procedures per OE and DE ran approx. 10-30,000$, but I had insurance coverage.
OE transfer was with multiple embryos; DE transfer with 2 frozen embryos per cycle. Future DE transfers will only be single embryo transfers.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Waltham clinic is the main facility. I live closer to the Worcester clinic so I had most of my blood tests/ultrasounds there. The receptionist in Worcester had no idea what was going on. The bloodwork in Worcester was a nightmare - last time I had to wait 1 hour to get my blood drawn, it was also a different person every single time which made me think they had trouble staffing it. The Waltham clinic seems to run like clockwork. My cycle was cancelled before egg retrieval, but all of my appointments there were on time.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
If we hadn't pushed and been strong advocates for ourselves to move the process along, we would still be at square 1. There wasn't one dedicated case manager or go-to person that we could contact. Even trying to reach the 'dedicated' nurse was a nightmare. If you called before 9am you got message that "you've reached the emergency phone number", and you couldn't leave a voicemail. If you called the same number after 9am, you spoke to 3 different people before you even got the Voicemail for the nurse. And then you had to wait 2-3 hours to get a call back. Nobody checked on us during the first few days of injectable medication. Nobody made sure we knew how to mix the medicine, or inject it correctly, and our first appointment wasn't till 5 days later, so we ended up learning how to mix menopur on YouTube! Not the type of service I would have expected given the financial expense and level of intensity of the drugs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tammy)
I dealt with 5 to 6 different nurses over 8 days. It's not a recipe for success. There should be 1 point person who is familiar with the patient, develops a relationship with the patient, understands their test results, and really advocates for their care, otherwise I'm just a number.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Dr. Kim Thornton is a straight shooter and I respect that about her. She didn't sugarcoat anything just to make us feel better, and I appreciated that. She was direct, to the point, and pretty serious. There was no hand-holding. I felt that she had put the best plan together for my specific situation, and trusted her medical expertise. At 28, my FSH levels and AFC was that of a 40 year old, and she diagnosed me with Premature Ovarian Insufficiency - time was not on my side. She felt that we needed to move straight to IVF and not waste any time, so we went for it. I appreciated that she felt the same sort of urgency that if I was going to have my own healthy babies with my husband, it needed to be ASAP. I met with her twice. Once for the initial consult just before Christmas, and once again in Feb after all the diagnostic testing. My first IVF cycle started in April and after 8 days of stimulation it was abruptly cancelled (on a Saturday), because not enough estrogen was being produced. I trusted her expertise, and was instructed to call on Tuesday (after marathon Monday) to schedule followup consult. When I called on Tuesday, I was told that she was on vacation for the rest of the week, and the next available appointment was 8 days away. Not only was she on vacation, there were no other doctors available that could talk to us sooner, except the emergency on-call doctor, but that wasn't an option. As a patient undergoing something as extreme and sensitive as IVF, I'm shocked that my Doctor would go on vacation without a back-up. I'm also shocked that there was no professional courtesy to give us a heads up that she was going away during the most sensitive part of the cycle (days 7 - 16!!!) because that's the critical time for everything IVF related. I would have postponed it, or asked for another Dr to monitor the cycle. Not only that, but I'm also left wondering if my cycle was cancelled because it was inconvenient OR if there simply wasn't anybody there to monitor my cycle.
Ask about upcoming vacation days that may occur during your cycle. Be proactive and be an advocate for yourself.
I'm 28, in-shape, besides my sub-fertility, I'm generally healthy. My husband and I were officially trying, but I wasn't getting my period. I went to see my OB after 6 months and he tested my blood work to see the thyroid/hormone levels. After that he referred me to Dr. Kim Thornton. She revealed that I wasn't ovulating at all, and my FSH was about 2x - 3x higher than it should be at 28. During preliminary ultrasound scans there were 8 antral follicles, not as many as there should have been for my age, but enough that she thought IVF was our best shot. She didn't want me to waste my time with Clomid or IUI. The goal was to stimulate the few follicles that I had with injectibles, and hope for high quality eggs. After diagnostic testing she prescribed levothyroxine to bring my Thyroid levels down. It was within the normal range, but was higher than ideal range for pregnancy, had me start the birth control pill, and start taking CoQ10 to help with egg quality. I continued taking a prenatal vitamin. Summary: Antagonist protocol 300iu Gonal F Redi-Pen and 150 Menopur during stimulation days 1 - 8. Cycle cancelled on stimulation day 8, not enough estrogen being produced. Stim day 6: Ultrasound + bloodwork 7am. Ultrasound technician wouldn't comment on anything. Nurse called around 1p and said that results showed 1 dominant follicle 10mm in left ovary and 2 - 4 small follicles in each. She also said estrogen was way too low and that my cycle may be cancelled, but for now Dr. Thornton wanted me to continue same dose of meds and come back for testing on stim day 8. Stim day 8: Ultrasound + bloodwork 8:30am. The ultrasound technician said there was nothing going on in the right ovary, but 1 dominant follicle 10-11mm and 10 follicles too small to measure in the left ovary. Nurse called around 1:30pm to say that the cycle had been cancelled, and to call on Tuesday to schedule followup meeting with Dr Thornton.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: - early morning hours for monitoring appts. I.e. blood and ultrasound (before normal business hours) -appts for procedures and monitoring seemed to run extremely efficiently -in house notary -multiple Dr's available in clinic Weaknesses : - no early or late hours for Dr. Consults normally. -notary hours only during normal business hours. -billing for embryo storage was difficult to understand ( They bill you all at once -and only after questioning it, I was told I could pay monthly. Would have preferred to have had that clearly outlined in the billing) -
Never rushed us-always willing to take as long as we needed during apts to answer our questions. Always took the time to try to explain complex medical jargon.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
Meg was assigned to me halfway through my treatment-and she's been fabulous. The previous nurse had been extremely scatterbrained and not patient in explaining process, treatment steps, etc. Meg has been the complete opposite, and always is patient when explaining (and re-explaining) things to me. The one thing I think could be better is that since different staff handle different portions of the treatment, that sometimes I would have to speak to multiple people -and it would have been easier if theI ran responsibilities overlapped.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I liked that she was candid about the reality of our situation. Very compassionate in her approach. She gave us options at all stages and I felt she gave us good information for us to make informed decisions.
Ask if after business hours are available for consults.
Costs were mostly covered by insurance
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
We had several "lost appointments" [at Boston IVF]- one of which was a power outage so, not their fault. Another just didn't make it to the schedule. For one of our IVF cycle drugs - they ordered a quantity of 1 instead of 14. This involved a lot of work on my end to correct. Calling the pharmacy, reading over the paper work, calling the clinic, calling the pharmacy again to ensure they got it - setting up additional shipments...)
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The best part is the appointments before work hours. Not having to take time off for all of the routine monitoring is amazing. And South Shore has the best phlebotomist. Seriously - she is amazing. The major weakness for us was a sometimes lack of organization and that semen analysis and collection is only done in Waltham - and only in the early morning. Trying to produce a sample and then get it there in 90 minutes through the crazy traffic was a hardship.
Dr. Zimon took the time to get to know us as people and to really understand our treatment expectations. She adjusted plans and manner accordingly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
I think they could be a little more organized. A couple of appointments were "lost" which just added unnecessary stress to the process.
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Zimon was knowledgeable, caring and matter of fact. When our results for trying for our second child were not optimal and not expected - she completely adjusted plans and worked with us to determine the level of aggression we wished to pursue. Very satisfied with out results.
Be honest with yourself and Dr. Zimon about how you tolerate pain, and know what your expectations are. (I know - it is to have a baby!) But how aggressive do you want to be? Understand your financial ramifications as well. We only could do one full cycle of IVF and knowing that - we chose the upper level of medical interventions rather than starting out at lower doses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered the majority of or IUI cycles for our first child - copay was around 400 for Dr. Zimon and maybe 300 for the drugs? For our IVF cycle we maxed out our drug benefit after the initial cycle and had to pay out of pocket for all drugs to sustain the pregnancy. I would say Dr. Zimon's co-pay was around 400-500; and the out of pockets cost on drugs was easily over 2000
2013 - 2015
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
...I felt the nurse was too curt in her explanations or descriptions of protocol, which led to confusion at times, including the failure to start an IVF cycle in February (we had to start in March instead).
2013 - 2015
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
I appreciated Dr. Lannon's scientific, analytic approach to our conversations. I'm an attorney and my husband is an analyst. We both felt Dr. Lannon understood direct communication was important to us. He has a very dry sense of humour, which we also appreciated, but his approach never felt flip or anything less than understanding of the challenges we faced.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy McLaughlin)
Amy was friendly, but at times too quick in her explanations regarding treatment or next steps. I appreciated that she was quick to return phone calls.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is frank with a dry sense of humour. He was easy to talk to, well-prepared for our appointments, and thoroughly and patiently answered our questions. As a reproductive endocrinologist, he's very much focused on the goal of getting his patients pregnant. I came to him with a long-standing diagnosis of stage four endometriosis and I wanted to discuss treatment of that condition, which was preventing me from becoming pregnant. I felt he was less prepared/open for a conversation about endo, except as it affected our fertility issues.Ultimately, I ended up working with an OB/GYN to address endometriosis treatment, after which I returned to work with Dr. Lannon to continue fertility treatments.
Dr. Lannon is approachable and friendly, but dry. Don't mistake his sense of humour for a lack of caring or lack of bedside manner. His communication-style seems very adaptable to individual patients, so be sure to tell him what you need (Statistics? Data? A more emotional approach?) Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Diagnostic: Other than my endometriosis, fertility tests did not reveal any underlying causes for infertility. Dr. Lannon discussed the various treatments available to us and recommended a course of Clomid. However, we put treatment on hold because I needed surgery. When I returned after recovery (approximately 1 year later), the statistical data showed that proceeding directly to IVF was our best approach. Stimulation: I began with nightly injections of Menopur and Bravelle. Every three-four days, I visited the clinic for an ultrasound and blood work. The same day, I would receive a call from the clinic nurse with any adjustments to my injections. This continued until my follicles were large enough (15mm+) to retrieve. At the end of my treatments, I took an additional, single shot of Cetrotide. Trigger: Thirty-six hours before retrieval, I injected myself with a single trigger shot (Ovidrel). Retrieval: I was under general anesthesia for retrieval. Transfer: We had a five-day transfer of two embryos (based on my age, Dr. Lannon recommends two embryo transfer; he will not transfer more than two at a time), followed by a pregnancy test (blood test) two weeks later. Follow up: The final appointment with Dr. Lannon was an eight-week ultrasound after which our care was transferred to our OB/GYN.
As of March 2015: IVF $8,900 payment required in full before process began (included pre-op; follicle monitoring; serum hormone assays during stimulation; egg retrieval; sperm prep; anesthesia; transfer; post-op). Meds were not included in the above nor covered by our insurance and cost ~$6,000. Embryo freezing: $1,750. Other fees (we did not incur): $2,500 ICSI; $500 anesthesia at transfer; $1,000 assisted hatching. Cancellation reimbursement: $8,150 pre-stimulation; $6,400 before retrieval; $2,900 before transfer. Boston IVF provides financial aid to qualifying patients based on income (patients are required to submit two years of tax returns for review).
South Portland
[My Boston IVF nurse] must have been so busy so she never really picked up the phone but always called me back. If she was tied up for the day, she usually had another nurse call me back to answer my questions
East Asian, Black or African-American
Dr.Ryley along with the staff there were very informative, answered all my questions, responded back to my numerous phone calls and reassured me with any doubts and worries along the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
She must have been so busy so she never really picked up the phone but always called me back. If she was tied up for the day, she usually had another nurse call me back to answer my questions
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr Ryley is very friendly, informative and mostly, he listened to what my concerns seriously. I ended up putting 2 embryos back and was pregnant with twins at first but miscarried one of them at 9 weeks of pregnancy. When we were putting the embryos back in, he has explained to me that one of the embryos were much stronger than the other so it made sense that the weaker one just didn't make it and it wasn't meant to be. I was recommended to put 2 back in instead of just one for the likelihood of me getting pregnant doubles by doing so. And it was right, I sure am pregnant now with a singleton baby(third trimester now). One negative thing that I have experienced is the fact that I have suffered from Hyperactive Ovary Syndrome in the beginning of my pregnancy. I am a small person and have accumulated water in my lungs as well because of it. I called in to let Dr Ryley know right away and he told me to go to an ER right away. That's how I found out that I am actually pregnant (this was a very early stage)! Dr Ryley and his staff scheduled me an emergency quick surgery to drain the fluid out of my uterus (under the influence of anesthesia of course). The fluid in my lugs ended up draining on its own so I didn't need a surgery. It was a bit of a scare in the beginning but I command Dr. Ryley and his staff for their quick remedy and actions so that my symptoms won't be worse. Hyperactive Ovary syndrome is usually prevented by having the doctor watch your vital stats weekly(which was normal for me weekly) but my symptom actually occurred towards the end with a pregnancy with twins, it may have something to do with it. Either way, I'm happy that I am pregnant in the end with a good doctor who had watched over me with great care. Boston IVF in general was such a great experience with great staff overall. I definitely will recommend this doctor and it's facility.
Ask as many questions as possible, tell him about your concerns(how many embryos to put back in to maximize the chance of pregnancy versus likelihood of having twins, etc).
Boston
The place [Boston IVF] is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The place is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
Dr. Alper did a fantastic job when we were in the appointments explaining the tests, what our diagnosis meant and not rushing us to make a decision.
When we went to our initial appointment, we met the nurse who worked with Dr. Alper. However, in the months that followed, we were passed from nurse to nurse. I would call and leave a message, but a different nurse would call me back.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr. Alper was very candid with the low chance of success of our initial treatment. He was also didn't push us toward the most invasive treatment for the first round. However, once we made the decision to move forward, it felt like we weren't his patients anymore and instead deposited on some sort of infertility procedure conveyor belt.
Ask him to walk you through the process and his role once you make the decision to move forward. He was great at explaining the medical procedures and what they mean, but didn't tell us that the nurses basically did everything.
Clomid IUI
None-Insurance covered the treadment
2 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
In opposition to other clinics, the REs at Boston IVF do not do their own monitoring (techs and phlebotomists do it) and retrievals and transfers are done by the doctor on-call and not necessarily your doctor... I ended up switching clinics purely because I wanted further testing and to add HGH to my protocol, which Boston IVF does not do... Boston IVF practices very sound medicine, but they aren't very open-minded towards "out-of-the-box" treatments, such as HGH or EFT/E-tegrity tests.
2 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clinic in Waltham with surgery center and Domar Center.
Everyone was nice and accessible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
All of the nurses were great. When my first cycle failed I got a call on a Saturday from an unknown nurse and she was so genuinely sad for my BFN. The manager is also awesome. I did not have a negative experience with any staff member.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Bayer was great. I'm a very informed patient (and a RN) and Dr. Bayer always was on the same page with what I was thinking. He was incredibly thorough in his testing, and because of his desire to probe things that weren't quite right, was able to diagnose several issues, including a uterine septum, that would have otherwise gone unnoticed and potentially resulted in a miscarriage. He was very nice and attentive. In opposition to other clinics, the REs at Boston IVF do not do their own monitoring (techs and phlebotomists do it) and retrievals and transfers are done by the doctor on-call and not necessarily your doctor. I heard from my nurse after each appt and only met with Dr. Bayer for wtf appointments or by request. I ended up switching clinics purely because I wanted further testing and to add HGH to my protocol, which Boston IVF does not do. As far as my protocol, Dr. Bayer prescribed the same one as my now current RE. Boston IVF practices very sound medicine, but they aren't very open-minded towards "out-of-the-box" treatments, such as HGH or EFT/E-tegrity tests. This was no fault of Dr. Bayers and I would gladly go back to him if we pursue DE.
I would give this advice regardless of the RE - educate yourself!! You cannot have an educated discussion with any health care provider unless you know what you are talking about and what your options are.
Normal CD3 testing with HSG (yielded Celiac Disease dx and DOR), since I have a tilted uterus he wasn't happy with the view of my ute he got with the HSG and sent me for a 3D saline sono (yielded endometrioma and potential septum), sent me to surgical OB for hysteroscopy and confirmed septum. Surgical hysteroscopy and lap for septum and endo removal. Antagonist protocol with bcp prep = 7R, 6M, 4F - 3dt of 1 7-cell HIP embryo = BFN Antagonist protocol with EPP = 7R, 3F - 3dt of 8-cell HIP and 10-cell = c/p (added CoQ10 after IVF #1) Then switched clinics for more testing and use of different cycle tools such as HGH.
Insurance coverage.
2012 - 2013
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Boston IVF overall definitely worked like an assembly line, but just about every interaction I had along the way was positive and caring. We only saw Dr. Ryley for a few office visits leading up to our cycle (he didn't actually do any of the procedures himself). We liked his matter of fact, scientific conversations yet he was also very kind and sensitive. Really the only negative feedback would be for his secretary, who could use a bit fine tuning on the patient/customer service soft skills.
2012 - 2013
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF in Waltham was where I had all of my blood work and procedures. They offered very convenient hours and lots of free parking. The facility was modern and clean.
At Boston IVF, just about each interaction along the way was with a different provider. This is why I previously likened it to an assembly line. That being said, for the most part everyone was very professional and compassionate. I think I only had 1 or 2 just 'so - so' interactions along the way.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
David Ryley was a good balance of kind and matter of fact. We wanted to know a lot of background scientific details for tests and procedures, and he always accommodated us. Really The only small downside is that he was not available for in-between visit telephone calls or emails. That just isn't how Boston IVF works - there are nurses on call for that purpose.
Be prepared to only see him before you start the cycle, for consultation and planning. You won't see him for any procedures, and if you get pregnant on the first round you'll never see him again.
Antagonist protocol: Birth control pills, FSH, Ganirelix, HCG, egg retrieval, 5 day transfer of 2 embryos. This was my first and only IVF cycle, which resulted in my identical twin girls (one embryo didn't make it, the other split!).
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I was very lucky, living in MA and having a company sponsored health plan (BCBS MA) that fully covered my fertility treatment for the cycle. I paid almost nothing out of pocket.
2008 - 2012
12 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
My nurse coordinator [at Boston IVF] was excellent...I would not have had the results I had and the positive experience I had (despite nearly 4 years of various treatments) without the support and expertise of Dr. David Ryley...Great supports in terms of ancillary services like acupuncture on site before/after retrieval, classes and support groups, massage, yoga, nutritionists etc. at the Domar Center that is attached to the main outpatient clinic in Waltham. They do well in terms of managing children coming along (separate family waiting room) and are good at creating a soothing atmosphere.
2008 - 2012
12 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Dr. Ryley was always able to respond and get me laughing even when I was feeling discouraged. At the same time, he was good at being direct and telling me what he did and did not know. He also told me when he thought my chances of pregnancy were low. At that point, while he told me he would be happy to have me continue to try with my own eggs, he also suggested that I consider egg donation to increase my odds. After some reflection, that's what I did - and he was supportive with information and with just being there all along the nearly 4 years it took for me ultimately to bring my daughter home (had prior complications related to endometriosis and started the process of becoming a single mother by choice later in life).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
My nurse coordinator was excellent. Once I shifted to egg donation, I got a different nurse coordinator who was just as good. I really relied on them for support and answers to questions. They knew I was doing this on my own and really became my support team. There was only one negative encounter on the nursing staff in my nearly 4 years - and that was a different nurse who was working with me in the context of my first miscarriage who was not particularly sensitive to my direct questions relative to a slowing heartbeat and whether that meant some hope still or no hope. She just was not direct enough for my liking and seemed to not get that I'd rather know.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
If he says he'd recommend moving to more aggressive treatment options, listen and follow his advice right away.
I started with a long succession of medicated (injectables) IUIs and then moved to a series of IVFs with ICSI. I got pregnant several times but some were clinical pregnancies and one was a miscarriage at 12 weeks. As I turned 43, Dr. Ryley recommended I consider egg donation. I did and decided to proceed. The first donor I chose had not previously donated and despite medical tests indicating everything was fine and a total of 27 eggs retrieved, only 6 fertilized and they were all low quality. I had a strong preference for a single transfer but took his advice and transferred 2 fresh, then 2 frozen and got pregnant with one of the last 2. Unfortunately miscarried at 10 weeks. I almost gave up, but did decide to try one more time with another donor who had successfully donated previously. Got more than 30 eggs, 27 fertilized and 2 of these were discarded due to poor quality. I had one transferred fresh and got pregnant and gave birth to my daughter in 2012 nearly 4 years after I had my first fertility appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I think that all told, after insurance, and counting 2 separate egg donors, my cost was a bit below $100K (insurance covered a bunch upfront, but I paid for several IVFs myself and 2 donor egg retrievals, incl. donor and personal medications and 4 transfers)
2009 - 2011
Strength [of Boston IVF]: There practices seem directly correlated to research. ex. Progesterone taken orally is as effective as intramuscular shots and much easier on patients typically. Weakness: Nothing major. Sometimes hard to have certain assistants call back in a timely fashion....The Post Op nurses (for egg retrieval) as well as the phlebotomists were so compassionate and wonderful. I felt nurtured and they helped keep spirits up. What a great team. I found myself thinking, "It takes a village to make a baby".
2009 - 2011
European, Latino
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strength: There practices seem directly correlated to research. ex. Progesterone taken orally is as effective as intramuscular shots and much easier on patients typically. Weakness: Nothing major. Sometimes hard to have certain assistants call back in a timely fashion.
She was very caring, empathic, and smart. She always took the time to listen, understand, and explain.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
She explained everything clearly, including treatment strategies. She was compassionate and relatable. Every step of the way I felt she was making decisions based on current research and my unique situation.
She is open, compassionate and honest. Ask her whatever you want and she will give you a straight answer.
Given my age we decided quantity might be necessary as quality might not be there. I did respond very well to the meds and produced lots of eggs. The last time (successful cycle) she stimmed a bit more slowly and we got more high quality graded embryos. She tweaked each cycle based on the results of the last. I think the transfer MDs also play a huge roll. Some transfers didn't seem great but the last one you could tell the doctors thought the embryos were placed perfectly and bingo!
My insurance covered everything but I have phenomenal insurance and live in Massachusetts where laws force insurance companies to cover infertility treatments. Not sure this is applicable to most people.
2004 - 2011
[The nurse at Boston IVF - RSC - Waltham] was kind and funny. We have a strange sense of humor and joked with her about being in the room with us while we were trying to get pregnant. When she called with negative pregnancy results, she was so warm and understanding....Everything was covered by insurance in the great state of MA...It was so long ago, it's hard for me to know or remember [more about the clinic].
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It was so long ago, it's hard for me to know or remember. Also they moved towards the end of my treatment.
Dr. Penzias treated us twice- 3 years apart- when we were trying to get pregnant. With unexplained infertility, he was ready to be aggressive when were were and slow down when we wanted. He fought with the insurance company to get a GIFT cycle approved but we found out we were pregnant (naturally or post IVF cycle, who really knows?) and didn't need to go that far. He was kind, personable, compassionate, friendly...
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I don't remember the name, but she was kind and funny. We have a strange sense of humor and joked with her about being in the room with us while we were trying to get pregnant. When she called with negative pregnancy results, she was so warm and understanding.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He was kind, friendly, compassionate, good sense of humor (very important to us), handled tears and emotions from us really well. He moved at our speed which was somewhat aggressive. Encouraged us to do a mind/body program at Harvard which was happening in 2001.
This was a long time ago. I know that I did 3 cycles of chlomid with my ob/gyn and then she referred us out. On the 3rd IUI cycle in 1998, we got pregnant and had a child in 1999 (after a chemical pregnancy the month before). 2 years late we went back and after 3 failed IUI cycles, we did 3 IVF cycles, None worked, but the following month after the IVF cycle, we were pregnant (we had been approved for a GIFT cycle and were pursuing adoption).
Everything was covered by insurance in the great state of MA
He was willing to put in a few embyos based on our comfort level with multiples
2003 - 2010
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
With my first child, I was treated [at BostonIVF] only for PCO with injections and eventually a successful IUI. It was discovered in my first pregnancy that I have an incompetent cervix which made me a high risk pregnancy. It also made it impossible for me to carry twins. So when it was time to attempt conceiving my 2nd pregnancy, we went straight to IVF to control the number of embryos implanted (only 1 at a time) to ensure I didn't have twins.
2003 - 2010
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
Because the care was personal and appropriate for my situation. Dr. Oskowitz made a very astute plan as treatment evolved and after initial failure (and although the primary diagnosis of PCO was fairly standard there was unexplained poor egg quality that required some further finesse and analysis). The end result was 2 beautiful girls who are now 13 and 16. I can only imagine in the decade plus since my treatment, technology and care has continued to improve.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I cannot remember the names now, treatment was a while ago, but the nurses were wonderful.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ozkowitz is not necessarily overtly warm, yet the care he has for his patients is nonetheless obvious and he is wise and careful in his treatment plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
Not to expect a big bear hug, that's not his personality, but he is a very good doctor.
Describe the protocols Selwyn Oskowitz used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
With my first child, I was treated only for PCO with injections and eventually a successful IUI. It was discovered in my first pregnancy that I have an incompetent cervix which made me a high risk pregnancy. It also made it impossible for me to carry twins. So when it was time to attempt conceiving my 2nd pregnancy, we went straight to IVF to control the number of embryos implanted (only 1 at a time) to ensure I didn't have twins. What we found out when I went through IVF was that for an unexplained reason the embryos were poor quality. After 2 unsuccessful IVF treatments (and sorry, I just realized I put 2 IVF cycles in the questionnaire but it was actually 3), he recommended we wait until day 5 for transfer to really understand which embryo was good enough quality to survive. Only 1 embryo survived to day 5, and she is now almost 14. His treatment plan was a success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF.
Covered by my insurance.
Boston
[Boston IVF is a] Very professional and well-known clinic. All staff members were very knowledgeable and easy to work with. Clinic can feel a little commercial at times and less personable than smaller clinics but you cannot argue with their results...My assigned nurse was easy to communicate with and returned phone calls promptly...We are only allowed to transfer one embryo at a time based on my age and insurance restrictions. Dr. Thornton is passionate that multiple embryos lead to a more high risk pregnancy for the mom and baby.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Every visit I have had Dr. Thorton has been very well prepared and it was clear that she took the time to review my file and my situation prior to the appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Dr. Kim Thornton was easy to communicate with, was very knowledgeable and adjusted the course of treatment based on my timeline, needs and insurance restrictions. She treated me like a person and was easy to talk to.
Dr. Kim Thornton is very experienced and has a lot of practice treating infertility issues.
We had already had frozen eggs being stored so the treatment protocol was fairly straight forward. She put me on birth control for 6-8 weeks to regulate my cycles and finish testing. When that was completed we started estrogen patches and pills. The next step is an ultrasound and blood work and depending on the outcome we will be discussing the transfer.
Most of my procedures have been covered by my insurance minus my co-pay and out of pocket expenses. Costs of treatments vary.
Tubal Blockage, Other
Great clinic [Boston IVF-South Portland]. Great communication and very good technology and knowledge of all different treatments. It will be very expensive, but that isn't the fault of the clinic. Everyone is understanding and I never felt judged for the decisions we made it our situation in general.... We have only done Clomid as a treatment so far, so that was basically as simple as the treatments come. This was to ensure I was ovulating when I had my cycle, as my cycles were always irregular.
Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Great clinic. Great communication and very good technology and knowledge of all different treatments. It will be very expensive, but that isn't the fault of the clinic. Everyone is understanding and I never felt judged for the decisions we made it our situation in general.
He was very knowledgeable regarding my case from the 1st time we met with him. He explained everything in detail and listened to every question and concern we had. Although our appointments were brief, I never left feeling confused or uninformed
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr. Alper is very good at what he does. While I haven't gone through the actual IVF process yet, I know that if/when we do, he will be 100% helpful. He answers all questions and always informs his nurse or what needs to be done next regarding treatment, so if we have any questions and need to talk to her, she is always up to date on our case. Communication comes easy to him and he doesn't leave any details out. He explains things well, even the tough discussions, and does it without judgement or making us feel hopeless.
None was covered by my insurance. Each visit was $200 out of pocket
4 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
I think Boston IVF can be a great clinic, but because they are so large you get handed off to different doctors and we had to go to different clinics for different procedures. I like the fact that they have a whole mind, body, spirit component with IVF. They offer a support group that I joined that was helpful.... Most of the appointments were in the early morning so it was first come, first serve. That can be a little nerve wracking, but I got into my appointments all the time before I went to work.
4 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Luzzo made us feel like their was hope, but gave us the straight information...and we wanted both.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
She seemed very empathetic. She knew her stuff and that is always important. She seemed to get her job done quickly and proficiently.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
I think Dr. Luzzo was exactly what we wanted in a doctor. She was better than our previous one who had a better reputation. She was candid, but kind and gave us the straight up answers when we asked questions. She didn't sugarcoat things and we liked that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Just be ready to hear the truth. She will give it to you.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
It was a pretty standard IVF cycle, although she did provide a little different protocol in terms of the drugs and increased the estrogen for the treatment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Our insurance covered practically all of the costs and Dr. Luzzo was honest with us about additional procedures like Donor Eggs and PGS. We actually saved some money based upon her advice regarding Donor Eggs.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Boston IVF only does single transfer to prevent multiples. Our previous doctor did not. We did have a pregnancy with the previous clinic, but it resulted in a miscarriage.
Kerri Luzzo
Providence
3 IVF, Donor Sperm
I thought Dr Penzias was outstanding and I am happy he is my doctor. The clinic [Boston IVF] is big and due to the nature you only see your doctor at office appointments to go over results/next plan- and he calls. I wish in a way I saw him at a retrieval and I wish on my last round where I had so many eggs that we talked about a 3 day transfer given my age...The monitoring site was amazing with incredible staff in Providence Ri! They were incredibly caring, professional and generally a cheering squad
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It was a distance from where I lived so I used a remote monitoring center -they were fantastic but it felt like things weren't well connected all of the time. I liked all of the people though
He was wonderful. He called me on my second cycle when I had 8 good embryos on day 3- and then none made it to day 5/6. He was positive that I had a good chance and should try again and that it was a numbers game. I was quite upset and I thought he was great at explaining things.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: sarah)
The nurses at the egg retrieval were amazing!!!!!!
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
I thought Dr Penzias was outstanding and I am happy he is my doctor. The clinic is big and due to the nature you only see your doctor at office appointments to go over results/next plan- and he calls. I wish in a way I saw him at a retrieval and I wish on my last round where I had so many eggs that we talked about a 3 day transfer given my age
Ask questions- I didn't and go in prepared
e2-antagonist because I was DOR and it worked in that I had a decent number of eggs retrieved. I liked the idea of freezing embryos and doing a transfer later
$15,000 out of pocket per time and I did it twice so far
I wish I had also considered a 3 day transfer
Waltham
The clinic [Boston IVF] is great from the receptionist, to the medical assistant, sonographer, to the physicians...The nursing staff was great and always professional. I always felt they were prompt in returning phone calls, and thorough in their explainations (medication dosage, etc)...With Massachusetts being a state that mandates fertility coverage, we were only responsible for copayment...If you are lucky enough to be able to work with Dr. Berger be prepared for appointments to run behind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is great from the receptionist, to the medical assistant, sonographer, to the physicians. If you are lucky enough to be able to work with Dr. Berger be prepared for appointments to run behind.
Dr. Berger always made my husband and I feel like his only patients. He would answer questions I didn't know I had by explaining every aspect of our fertility journey in detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Allison )
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Brian Berger is an exceptional physician and an even better person. During our visits, Dr. Berger always presented with confidence in his ability to give us our baby. He explained complicated medical terminology in a way my husband and I never felt overwhelmed by. Although he can run late for his appointments, know that he is giving the same care to all his patients.
Dr. Berger is the best in his field. He will think outside the box and do everything he can to get you your baby.
I was 32 during my fresh cycle. I stimmed for 12 nights. I took Gonal-F and low dose HcG. Midway through, my dosage of Gonal decreased. The last four nights of stims I was on ganirelex to prevent ovulation. I triggered with Ovidrel. They were able to retrieve 16 eggs, 12 fertilized and 5 made it to day 5.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Dr. Berger was willing to listen to us in regards to transferring two embryos each time.
South Shore
I was really impressed w/ the clinic [Boston IVF] overall. This is all they do and they are clearly expert...Dr Sneeringer was aggressive (which is what I was looking for) and yet remained completely approachable throughout the process. She took time to answer all of my questions and made sure we were comfortable with what we were doing and why...I came to see Dr. Sneeringer after 3 cycles w/ another practice. She diagnosed the issue right away (my eggs weren't maturing) and devised a plan to fix this issue by increasing my medicated cycle. Perhaps it was a fresh pair of eyes, but the results for #4, the cycle w/ Dr. Sneeringer, were by far better than the previous 3. I had 2 embryos implanted and both took and we save a 3rd embryo in cryo. The results were fantastic.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I was really impressed w/ the clinic overall. This is all they do and they are clearly expert.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
While you pick a practice for your physician, you end up interacting w/ the nurse much more frequently. Meg was patient and on top of it - I'd choose her again
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was clearly smart and experienced - she demonstrated that she was keeping up on treatment evolutions and clearly had spent time reviewing my history. She was also highly approachable and warm, which was a great combination for me personally. I was able to get all of my questions answered, which gave me confidence, and still felt like a person, which made it bearable.
Set up an appointment. Dr. Sneeringer was great and I wish I had found her when I first started!
Dr. Sneeringer explained the risks and potential outcomes and ultimately let me make the choice.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I thought the clinic [Boston IVF in Waltham] was great. The only criticism I have is about other patients. Some are insensitive and will bring children into the main clinic waiting area, when there is a separate family waiting area. I would appreciate it if the clinic enforced the rule that kids should be in the family waiting area. When you're in the infertility trenches, it's really hard to be surrounded by smiling babies. Some parents are also inconsiderate and allow their kids to run around, yelling and bumping into other patients.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I thought the clinic was great. The only criticism I have is about other patients. Some are insensitive and will bring children into the main clinic waiting area, when there is a separate family waiting area. I would appreciate it if the clinic enforced the rule that kids should be in the family waiting area. When you're in the infertility trenches, it's really hard to be surrounded by smiling babies. Some parents are also inconsiderate and allow their kids to run around, yelling and bumping into other patients.
Dr. Sneeringer was both candid and kind -- exactly what I like to see in a doctor. She never minimized our struggles, but she was also very realistic about statistics. She also always had a game plan in mind. She's an extremely capable RE.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg Kennedy and, for PGS, Carol Lesser)
Meg and Carol were great -- very compassionate and knowledgable. I felt I could rely on them.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer approached us with empathy and understanding. She was also candid and straightforward about the realities of our situation. She struck a perfect balance in my opinion -- she didn't sugar-coat things, but she always made us feel that we were being heard, and she always looked for new solutions.
Dr. Sneeringer is a highly knowledgable and capable RE. It's rare for treatment plans to work perfectly the first time, but that is not a reflection on the doctor. The key is finding a doctor who is willing to brainstorm solutions and who will use your past results to adjust your treatment. I think she's great.
2011 - 2013
3 IUI, IVF
When meeting with Dr. Ryley and the tech's in the Boston IVF Brookline office, I felt like a cared for patient.... Waltham was the complete opposite - children were always there and never in the separate waiting room (hurtful since we were all there with fertility issues!) and it totally felt like a factory.
2011 - 2013
3 IUI, IVF
When meeting with Dr. Ryley and the tech's in the Brookline office, I felt like a cared for patient. The phlebotomist at the Brookline office was AMAZING, as were the techs doing the ultrasounds. They talked us through everything and showed us what they were seeing. Waltham was the complete opposite - children were always there and never in the separate waiting room (hurtful since we were all there with fertility issues!) and it totally felt like a factory. The tech's were cold and didn't show us anything and the blood draws were factory-ish and I always left with a bruise.
In the procedure room they took care of everything and kept track of things, so after the first one, I always got the patch for nausea to help with being sick after retrievals.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was honest and incredibly positive, even when we were starting to lose hope. He encouraged us to seek a second opinion when we told him we wanted to and also offered to raise our case at the practice's monthly meeting to see if someone else had ideas to help address our unexplained infertility. My only issue is that sometimes he talked a bit fast and details were hard to remember. I wish we had pushed more wrt egg quality, which seemed to be an issue though he assured us it wasn't.
Be prepared with questions and be honest.
2013
1 IUI, IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
2013
1 IUI, IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Berger was extremely patient explaining everything to me. I once went into his office with a list of 45 questions and he went through all of them. A few times I was anxious in between appointments and he spoke to me by phone. Mostly, I felt like he was really committed to my success and really cared about my outcomes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kate)
I adored my nurse Kate. She was so on top of things and was extremely organized and timely with giving me instructions and information. She was very reassuring times when I was stressed and upset. She always called back immediately.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Brian Berger is a brilliant mind, exceptionally skilled physician, compassionate caregiver, and simply the ONLY doctor to see if you are seeking fertility treatment in the Boston area. Dr. Berger would spend hours in person and by phone explaining things to me over and over to make sure I understood. He always would talk about next steps so I could know that if one thing didn't work, he was thinking about what to do next. I felt that he cared about me and my mindset as well as my results. He is probably the smartest person I have ever met without him having a bit of an ego. He is truly caring and you can tell how deeply passionate he is about helping women conceive. His nurse and the entire team at Boston IVF is phenomenal. Do not go anywhere else if you live in MA.
Bring a list of questions. He will go through it with you. Don't be afraid to ask him anything.
2011
...with Dr. Sneeringer, I have received conflicting messages about IVF protocol...It's like a factory, as is very big and they churn out blood work and ultrasounds in the morning, particularly. If you are not on time,usually you have to wait but they will double and triple book for blood work and ultrasounds. Wish it was a bit more intimate and private in his waiting area....
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
His support staff were wonderful as well as he. Very warm and attentive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
Excellent. Nothing less. I am going through fertility tx currently with another doctor (because Dr. Bayer's office moved to Brookline :( and it was way too far for me) and the current nursing staff is not as good as Dr. Bayers.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Bayer was attentive and flexible. I suggested back to back IUIs on my last cycle and he was willing to do this although was not what the initial plan was. He was always very calm in delivery of information as well as very patient.
No advice because you are truly in good hands but asking questions , as many as you need to fully understand, is always a good rule of thumb with any doctor
I had 3 IUIS, the third was a back to back (2 days in a row) IUI. I tried Clomid for the first IUI cycle but it affected my mood too greatly so switched to a different medication. Back to Back IUI is what ultimately resulted in a successful pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Just copays and deductible. My insurance covered
Boston
The clinic [Boston IVF] seems very organized and communicates very well and effectively with patients. I always get a person on the phone when I call, L and when I’ve had to leave messages I get called back quickly. Their website is a little bit confusing, but nothing unmanageable...The nurses were friendly, warm, organized, and informative...I felt listened to and that my specific concerns and questions were addressed.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic seems very organized and communicates very well and effectively with patients. I always get a person on the phone when I call, L and when I’ve had to leave messages I get called back quickly. Their website is a little bit confusing, but nothing unmanageable.
I felt listened to and that my specific concerns and questions were addressed.
The nurses were friendly, warm, organized, and informative.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. DiGirolamo is a good communicator who offers helpful explanations and spoke to me at my level (I am a healthcare provider). She took the time to explain the issues I was facing and her recommendations for a plan. I am still undergoing treatment.
Write down all of your questions in advance so you remember everything you want to ask her.
I only recently underwent testing to determine my ovarian reserve, hormone levels, etc. I have only had one cycle of IUI so far.
The costs were covered by insurance after I met my deductible. The cost seemed reasonable compared to other fertility clinics.
I don’t have a comment on this.
Carla DiGirolamo
4 IVF, Donor Sperm
It may seems a bit disorganized or over whelming but i feel as tho that’s because they [Boston IVF-Boston] have so many patients. It depends on where everyone is on their cycle some Days are just crazy and the next time it could be so slow.... My latest cycle I was using 450units of gonal F, 150units of menopur, with cetrotide being just added as well!... I never had a problem m booking orgetting in for a monitoring appointment. They Always seemed very to be willing to take me!
4 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It may seems a bit disorganized or over whelming but i feel as tho that’s because they have so many patients. It depends on where everyone is on their cycle some Days are just crazy and the next time it could be so slow.
She has such a positive outlook on us, and our situation. She’s always makes us feel like she has our backs!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
I always felt like i could call at any day or time and she was right there for me.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I love her bedside manners, she always makes me feel very comfortable. She makes us aware of every possible outcome, And no question is stupid. I’ve spent over an hour in her office just talking about our plan and options and never felt rushed. I appreciate those little things.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly you think it might be!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
I feel very lucy the past few times I’ve done IVf, I’m just paying for the Copays! It’s next Time I’m worried about... my insurance won’t help anymore so I’ll have to pay out of pocket for my doner sperm and procedure to implant m.
We have done multiple transfers each time to get a better chance of at least one sticking!
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
They're [Boston IVF] fine! They are organized and easy to access care. I had a flexible work schedule, but overall, I think they were able to accommodate. They were compassionate, and showed a lot of compassion...[Nurse Staff] They were on top of it, very knowledgable, and helpful...[Monitoring Appointments] Efficient, well-oiled machine! I was usually in and out within 15 minutes...[Cost Of Treatment] Overall, about $18,000....Dr. Lannon is AWESOME
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They're fine! They are organized and easy to access care. I had a flexible work schedule, but overall, I think they were able to accommodate. They were compassionate, and showed a lot of compassion.
He's straight forward with data, but warm and funny at the same time. I really love him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Carol? )
They were on top of it, very knowledgable, and helpful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
I really felt so lucky to have him since he is sort of the only guy around. He's really personable and easy to talk to, while being extremely measured, direct, and knowledgeable about his job. I also really appreciated his sense of humor, that was helpful when things got rough and I needed a laugh. He wasn't flippant about anything, though, and always knew how important this process was to me.
I also did a lot of alternative things to support my process--diet, accupuncture, massage, etc. If you have the means to do these things, I would. Dr. Lannon is AWESOME but doesn't cover this part of the process.
Don't remember!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Efficient, well-oiled machine! I was usually in and out within 15 minutes.
Overall, about $18,000.
3 IVF, Donor Sperm
Some members of the nursing staff [at Boston IVF] are incredible. I can turn to them to settle my anxieties and get the answers that I need. One nurse in particular has also been through the fertility process and really understands. Other nurses could use some help with bed side manners and communication...Waiting for one of my beta results I did not get a phone call. One nurse believed another nurse had relayed the results as I had contact her during the day. There was also an issue of the nurse believing she left me a voicemail but I did not receive one.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
At BIVF I don't feel like a number. I feel like a patient. They do a great job with scheduling, testing, consents, and overall coordinating. The only opportunity I see is getting all their nurses to the same level of care.
Dr Sneeringer has taken time to listen time after time. She takes time to explain things and address my concerns. She sets my mind at ease.
Some members of the nursing staff are incredible. I can turn to them to settle my anxieties and get the answers that I need. One nurse in particular has also been through the fertility process and really understands. Other nurses could use some help with bed side manners and communication.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr Sneeringer is patient and understanding of everything. She listens to questions and concerns and provides care plans that work for me. She doesn't hesitate to explain things further when needed and has been available for questions.
Tell her what is on your mind and what concerns you may have. She can help with solutions or easing your concerns.
Don't remember first egg retrieval protocol but she made adjustments to the second with increased menopur and gonal F and used cetrotide as well to increase mature eggs.
Stoneham
Karen is kind and always seems to smile - something about her demeanor is calming, which is really nice given that the process can be rather stressful... Additionally, the staff [at Boston IVF] that works with her [Dr. Zimon really seems to enjoy working with her, which makes the whole experience a little better....Dr. Zimon is direct, but she's also compassionate, She's willing to answer all of our questions in great detail, truly sharing her knowledge, which has made us feel quite comfortable. She has a good bedside manner, but she's not fluffy.
European, Latino
Dr. Zimon is direct, but she's also compassionate, She's willing to answer all of our questions in great detail, truly sharing her knowledge, which has made us feel quite comfortable. She has a good bedside manner, but she's not fluffy. She speaks to us in a way that demonstrates respect. Additionally, the staff that works with her really seems to enjoy working with her, which makes the whole experience a little better.
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Alison Zimon is a smart, kind and honest medical professional who truly loves what she does each day. I believe that she has our best interests at heart and wants to see us through a successful pregnancy. I would recommend anyone I know to her.
If you prefer to shy away from all of the details or the what if's, say so up front. Otherwise, Dr. Zimon will share every piece of information she has with you (which I prefer, but I know not everyone does).
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
I thought that every person I encountered on the [Boston IVF nursing staff] was competent and thorough. They all knew what they were doing and many of them showed great compassion at times when things did not go well for us.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Ryley and his team were thoughtful, kind and helpful throughout the process. Despite two unsuccessful IVF attempts, Dr. Ryley was very clear that he never gave up hope and that he was there to help us throughout.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I thought that every person I encountered on the nursing staff was competent and thorough. They all knew what they were doing and many of them showed great compassion at times when things did not go well for us. They also were very happy for us when things were going well.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Every interaction with Dr. Ryley was great. He was thorough and very patient. I never felt rushed out of his office. He did not, however, do our procedures, as that was always based on whoever was in the OR on the day of a scheduled transfer. I would have liked for him to do our procedures.
I would say to make it clear to his staff when you want to speak to him directly. His team of nurses are very competent and often handle many things themselves. If you want his opinion directly (not just through the nurses), you should feel comfortable asking to speak to him directly. They will accommodate that.
2004 - 2011
It's [Boston IVF] organized as a cluster of mini private practices within a larger office. You see your doctor, your nurse (and in my case, your nurse practitioner, though just saw her once, b/c we were successful the first cycle). There is an insurance person for the whole practice who helps navigate all of that. I love this practice..nurse Karen was sweet and warm... And the phlebotomists were so kind and skilled that I wrote a note the supervisor who read it at a staff meeting. Love this practice.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's organized as a cluster of mini private practices within a larger office. You see your doctor, your nurse (and in my case, your nurse practitioner, though just saw her once, b/c we were successful the first cycle). There is an insurance person for the whole practice who helps navigate all of that. I love this practice.
Dr. Oskowitz spoke warmly and individually. We were never rushed. His nurse Karen was sweet and warm. He also worked with a nurse practitioner we really liked. And the phlebotomists were so kind and skilled that I wrote a note the supervisor who read it at a staff meeting. Love this practice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
I loved her. She was sweet, organized, and caring.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
He's a bit formal, very appropriate, and very knowledgeable. He's been doing this a long time. He isn't mushy or warm, but is very kind and smart. I absolutely loved this practice and have recommended it to many people.
I can't think of anything. It was a great experience working with him, after a terrible one.
Gonal F for ovulation induction (I have PCOS and was probably not ovulating), and IUI just to cover the bases in case we had to go to IVF b/c my insurance would only do IVF after three IUI cycles.
None--I think everything was covered by our insurance in MA.
1 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
Paid for egg freezing out of pocket [at Boston IVF]. Reasonable cost compared to others...I liked the flexibility of having many offices throughout the Boston area. The staff love their job and it shows in how they treat patients. The technicians seemed skilled at their job and were very pleasant. There isn't continuity in who you'll see from time to time, but that didn't bother me...[nurses were] Super responsive, kind, patient.
1 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
He tailored plans to my needs even though some aspects were not typically recommended. He went way above and beyond what I expect from a doctor with his time to make sure I was comfortable.
Super responsive, kind, patient.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He is easy to talk to, thinks critically, has enormous amount of experience, cares about his patients truly, very attentive. He is skilled. He talked to me about decisions so that I could participate and so that I was comfortable.
He used an aggressive approach to stimulating my ovaries because I am older and wanted to freeze eggs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Paid for egg freezing out of pocket. Reasonable cost compared to others
South Shore
They [Boston IVF] make sure that you are taken care of and feel important. Sometimes the initial appointment can take a little bit of time but it’s worth it because they are great. Everyone at the clinic is focused on the patient and they are all super kind and patient with questions... Dr Berger was open and honest and has given me a lot of insight into my PCOS and how to move forward. I appreciate his candor and explanation. He is patient and kind and understanding when I have question he always makes me feel like they are valid and is thoughrough in his explaining the answers
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They make sure that you are taken care of and feel important. Sometimes the initial appointment can take a little bit of time but it’s worth it because they are great. Everyone at the clinic is focused on the patient and they are all super kind and patient with questions
He explained everything and was open and honest with me
Kind and reassuring
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He’s nice and likeable and will be there to answer any questions you have. He fully explains all the processes to move forward so you are comfortable with the process
Two IUIs with letrzole and ovidrel. Moving on to IVF now
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Only cost not covered by insurance is for the testing of embryos
Other, Unexplained
[Boston IVF is] a little impersonal and kind of a wheelhouse but honestly I didn’t care I just wanted to get pregnant and I knew they were the best. I was willing to be treated like a number if it meant I got pregnant so I ended up being very happy with the results since we did get pregnant right away...He [Dr. Bayer] was very kind and understanding...He seemed very knowledgeable and helped us feel confident that our treatment would work
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It’s a little impersonal and kind of a wheelhouse but honestly I didn’t care I just wanted to get pregnant and I knew they were the best. I was willing to be treated like a number if it meant I got pregnant so I ended up being very happy with the results since we did get pregnant right away
He was very kind and understanding.
They were pleasant.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
He seemed very knowledgeable and helped us feel confident that our treatment would work. We walked out feeling comforted and excited to begin treatment. We only saw doctor Bayer a couple times because I got pregnant the first round of treatment which was amazing!
Trust the process!
He started us with Letrozole and then the plan was to use a trigger shot to get me to ovulate but my LH was high enough on its own that I didn’t need it. I ovulated naturally and got pregnant!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
My insurance pretty much covered everything which was amazing and I’m very grateful for that.
Boston
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological, Other
I have a great relationship with the nursing staff for Dr. Berger. Financial coordinator was great for me as well...I’ve had numerous issues with insurance authorizations not be put in a timely manner and therefore doing priming for a psycho and not being able to proceed because insurance authorization was never submitted...Too many patients Hours are great to accommodate those who work...All the nurses have been through so much with me and they are compassionate.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Too many patients Hours are great to accommodate those who work. I live one and a half hours away. The lab opening up at 6:30 am allowed me to Go to all my appointments before work and make it to work on time therefore not losing any time off work and not letting everyone at work know what I was doing
The quantity of patients at Boston ivf does not allow personalization
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie )
All the nurses have been through so much with me and they are compassionate.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I have a great relationship with the nursing staff for Dr. Berger. Financial coordinator was great for me as well. Due to distance the MD does email and do phone consults. I have not been able to do a FET due to thickened lining but hopefully doing this new treatment I will be able to proceed. I recommend if you are a patient at Boston IVF you advocate for yourself
Advocate for yourself. Get all contacts emails to allow easier communication.
Dr. Berger utilizes hcg versus menopur for DOR patients to allow equal growth of follicles.
Boston
I think the clinic [Boston IVF] is great, recently renovated. Clean building and friendly staff. Strengths - welcome desk greeter (Debbie); flow of the building; well oprganized Weaknesses - hard to identify any weaknesses...3 rounds of IVF (estradiol -&gt; injectibles -. retrieval -&gt; embryo transfer) 1 round of IVF (estradiol -&gt; injectibles -. retrieval -&gt; assisted hatching -.&gt; embryo transfer)...Dr. Penzias is a kind, gentle man. He often reminded me he was on our team and there to support us.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the clinic is great, recently renovated. Clean building and friendly staff. Strengths - welcome desk greeter (Debbie); flow of the building; well oprganized Weaknesses - hard to identify any weaknesses
Dr. Penzias is a kind, gentle man. He often reminded me he was on our team and there to support us. He is very knowledgeable and patient. He can easily reached and always followed up with a personalized letter.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He will always be regarded as one of my best doctors. He took the time to care for us and helps us through this difficult journey. He was patient, kind and well rounded. He followed a well balanced approach (medical, physical and emotional)
Don't hesitate to schedule with him
PCOS, Unexplained
[At Boston IVF] We did 3 timed cycles with ovulation induction and 2 iui cycles before a freeze alll Ivf retrieval and transfer. She had me freeze all to allow my body recovery time from the hormones and give me a better chance of getting pregnant with the transfer...I had a lot of anxiety which she and her staff worked to calm..Sometimes it's a long wait for testing in the morning but the staff is amazing
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Sometimes it's a long wait for testing in the morning but the staff is amazing
Dr. Sneeringer was patient and kind. She walked me through each possible outcome forwards and backwards. I had a lot of anxiety which she and her staff worked to calm
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer personally kept me updated on the progress of my embryos after retrieval. She was compassionate and let me lead the way with choices. She would explain all the possible outcomes but I never felt pressured to do anything. She was really aggressive (in a good way) and I got pregnant with my first Ivf !
Dr suggested a single transfer based on my age and testing
Waltham
Strengths: non-judgemental, professional, caring. I can't think of any weaknesses [of Boston IVF]... [the nurse] was wonderful. Great communicator. Very professional....After testing and receiving the unknown infertility diagnosis, IUI was suggested. After 2 rounds of IUI with clomid, a third round was attempted with monitoring. After our failed attempts Dr Alper recommended IVF. He stated from the beginning that IVF would have the highest success rate but it was our choice to trial the IUI's first...
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbra)
She was wonderful. Great communicator. Very professional.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
He was honest and I felt he directed me the best way he knew how. I trusted his recommendations and I believe he gave me the best options. He wasn't pushy on which path to take. He listened to my concerns and even was willing to make adjustments based on those concerns.
Ask questions. He's very easy to talk with.
2012 - 2015
Overall, Rita, acupuncture, the nurses, and the therapy services at Boston IVF were wonderful. The millions of appointments were awful but that is just part of the process. hey were flexible about early morning appointments and things were fast and organized.
2012 - 2015
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Eileen baker)
I think Donna Zimmerman was also one. They got back to you so fast and were so nice and supportive and fantastic.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Rita was great. We got a terrible diagnosis/prognosis that was very dismal but then I got pregnant without treatment and had a baby. My 2nd pregnancy was IUI after 3 chemical pregnancies. Rita was lovely and kind and referred me to the domar therapists when I was emotionally struggling. I also really thing the acupuncture from boston ivf was crucial in helping me conceive. Overall, Rita, accupuncture, the nurses, and the therapy services at boston ivf were wonderful. The millions of appointments were awful but that is just part of the process. They were flexible about early morning appointments and things were fast and organized.
We had a dismal prognosis and are coming out with two healthy babies so try not to lose hope. Rita is kind and straight forward. She called me from her vacation when I thought I was miscarrying. She is a very good doctor.
Cambridge
2012 - 2014
3 IUI, IVF
Listen, Boston IVF is a factory of sorts. They see a LOT of people. And they see a lot of people because they are one of the best. That means that there are a lot of techs who do the blood draws. There are a lot of staff members who welcome you. There are a lot of different doctors and nurses you could see depending on the day. But I did feel like they all cared in their own way, and they try to make it not like a factory, even though with the number of people through the doors, that's kind of what it is. But my doc was always kind and spent time with us. Had a great therapist through the Waltham office. The nurse who explained how to administer the drugs spent lots of time with us. So yes, you are a number. But in my experience, being a number also comes with options and extra help and several locations that might be more convenient depending on whether I'm at home or at the office on the day I need to go in...
2012 - 2014
3 IUI, IVF
Listen, BostonIVF is a factory of sorts. They see a LOT of people. And they see a lot of people because they are one of the best. That means that there are a lot of techs who do the blood draws. There are a lot of staff members who welcome you. There are a lot of different doctors and nurses you could see depending on the day. But I did feel like they all cared in their own way, and they try to make it not like a factory, even though with the number of people through the doors, that's kind of what it is. But my doc was always kind and spent time with us. Had a great therapist through the Waltham office. The nurse who explained how to administer the drugs spent lots of time with us. So yes, you are a number. But in my experience, being a number also comes with options and extra help and several locations that might be more convenient depending on whether I'm at home or at the office on the day I need to go in.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
I feel like the care team [at Boston IVF] cares about me as an individual first and foremost....He[Dr. Berger] is also the only Boston IVF Doctor who reviews his own blood work and adjusts medications for each one of his many patients....He's brilliant but frequently behind schedule.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
I feel like the care team cares about me as an individual first and foremost.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Lamb)
Her level of personal caring for me, even if we weren't actively pursuing treatment.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger is a brilliant scientist and warm hearted individual. He, however, is not very good at time management. Unless it is the first appointment of the day, it is unlikely that you will be seen before at least 45 minutes after your appointment (if not 60 or 90 minutes later). Frustrating as that may be, it's for good reason. He spends a lot of time with his patients, like my husband and me, after our multiple failed cycles and early pregnancy losses. He always has a plan and customizes it for each patient which of course takes time. He is also the only Boston IVF Doctor who reviews his own blood work and adjusts medications for each one of his many patients.
Don't make plans for after your appointment. He's brilliant but frequently behind schedule.
Foxboro
2010 - 2011
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Great communicators [at Boston IVF - RSC - Bos]. Organized. Private. Resources. Compassionate.I lived in MA so Insurence covered soooo much. We had a few co-pays, but all the services totaled to over $100k. When our Insurence rejected to pay for IVF when we used donor eggs, Ryley advocated for us- sent a letter explains why medically they should pay. It worked and they reversed their decision...
2010 - 2011
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Great communicators. Organized. Private. Resources. Compassionate.
He was compassionate. Even though he shared devastating and heartbreaking news about my own fertility, I felt like he understood as best he could.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He always gave me time to mourn and was a true advocate for me when we had so many unsuccessful IVF attempts and my husband wasn't really understanding. Ryley actaully made a comment that I was being tortured if I were to have another IVF attempt. He was caring and compassionate and realistic when he needed to be.
He was wonderful. Be prepared for anything unexpected and always have faith.