7.3

399 Albany Shaker Road
Loudonville, NY 12211
518.434.9759

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Elguero is very knowledgeable in the field of fertility. She has a very scientific approach to treatment, and clearly explains both the diagnosis and her plans for treatment. She is very dedicated to finding out what could be causing the infertility and set up a whole bunch of tests for us. ... She also checked on our mental and emotional well being during each appointment, and took our preferences into account when deciding on treatment options. ...
The staff at this clinic [Boston IVF - The Albany Center] is definitely it's greatest strength. The nurses are all wonderful and the front desk receptionists are always pleasant. The ultrasound technicians are professional and make it as least awkward as possible. Phone calls are usually returned the same day. The office itself is nice, although the waiting room can get very full during lab hours! One weakness is that the ultrasound and blood work appointments can get very backed up on busy mornings. I think this is just a small space/staff issue.
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Dr. Elguero is very knowledgeable in the field of fertility. She has a very scientific approach to treatment, and clearly explains both the diagnosis and her plans for treatment. She is very dedicated to finding out what could be causing the infertility and set up a whole bunch of tests for us. She also makes sure to ask about your emotional and mental status throughout treatment. She did not push for any certain treatments, rather very clearly described our options and let us decide what we wanted to do next. Her delivery of information can be rather fast and overwhelming- she is all about the data. She also has a more blunt delivery, but does show concern and understanding with issues. We usually leave appointments with her satisfied with her treatment plan and care. However, she does rely on her staff for most of her communication outside actual appointments with her. We do not get to meet with her very often, and never even heard from her directly after our miscarriage (just from her head nurse). It is difficult to get an appointment with her, and usually there is a waiting period.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Bring something to take notes, as she will provide you with a ton of information during your appointment that may be overwhelming at first.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
The office was always quick to answer any questions we had and follow ups with Dr. Elguero to touch base on how we were doing with everything. She also checked on our mental and emotional well being during each appointment, and took our preferences into account when deciding on treatment options.
Describe the protocols Sonia Elguero used in your cycles at Boston IVF - The Albany Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Elguero started me in Clomid and Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. I first took 50mg of Clomid for 5 days, and then had ultrasound and blood work on cycle day 12 to monitor my progress. From there, they told me when to do my Ovidrel shot. I went in for my IUI 36 hours later. That had a negative pregnancy result. From there, she increased my Clomid to 150mg/day for 5 days. I continued with ultrasound and blood work monitoring and the Ovidrel shot. I did this for 5 more iuis. My last one resulted in a pregnancy. I unfortunately miscarried at 6 weeks. I am now currently waiting for my cycle to begin for our new round of treatment, which will involve injectables for 10 days, along with monitoring, and then another IUI. She is willing to try this for 4 cycles before moving on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
My assigned nurse has changed 3 times over the course of my treatment. My current nurse is Kim, and she is great. All 3 have been wonderful. They always took time to answer my questions, got back to me quickly with test results, and Kim has shown great compassion throughout treatment and our miscarriage. If my nurse is unavailable, another one is always willing to take my call. The nurses also performed all of my IUIs and were very clear in explaining the process to me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
The staff at this clinic is definitely it's greatest strength. The nurses are all wonderful and the front desk receptionists are always pleasant. The ultrasound technicians are professional and make it as least awkward as possible. Phone calls are usually returned the same day. The office itself is nice, although the waiting room can get very full during lab hours! One weakness is that the ultrasound and blood work appointments can get very backed up on busy mornings. I think this is just a small space/staff issue.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
My insurance covered almost everything, including medications. There is a $60 copay for every appointment. If we do IVF, we were told it could cost up to around $12,000 (including monitoring costs) depending on the medications.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
We did not want to do IVF, and we were paying full price out of pocket. Dr. Elguero considered these things with our treatments and gave up options with different price points. We did 4 IUIs with Clomid and did not do monitoring (too expensive for us) and did ovulation predictor kits at home instead. We got 1 chemical pregnancy and 3 negatives. We suspected endometriosis, so Dr. Elguero did an exploratory surgery. We did not find endometriosis, but I was satisfied with the surgery and glad I did it to make sure. Then we did a round of injectables with monitoring and IUI with a negative result.
All nursing staff [at Boston IVF- The Albany Center] were great. They are very busy, so I always had to leave a message, but Cayce always got back to me as soon as possible. It's just hard to get all your questions answered this way...One nurse practitioner implied that my uterine polyps could be causing my infertility, then Dr. Elguero said that research shows that this is unlikely. We were saving up for an expensive cycle of injectables with monitoring and IUI and were told an estimated price by the nurse (estimating in meds), and then a much higher price by the financial person. This higher price made us back out and then have to wait another cycle. Turns out the nurse was right about the pricing.
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Dr. Elguero was wonderful. Very kind, good communicator, great at answering questions, very research-based. I was always happy to get to see her, but it is difficult to get an appointment with her, since she is very busy.
Write down your questions to ask, since your visits with her will be fairly short.
Dr. Elguero has a great bedside manner and shared that she has a personal history of infertility. She asked me not only how I was doing physically, but how I was holding up emotionally. However, the clinic is very busy, and it is difficult to get an appointment with her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Cayce)
All nursing staff were great. They are very busy, so I always had to leave a message, but Cayce always got back to me as soon as possible. It's just hard to get all your questions answered this way.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
Very busy clinic, as most are. All female staff, which made me feel very comfortable. Always make an appointment with Dr. Elguero right after you see her, even if you think you might not need another appointment, since she is so busy. You can always cancel it later. They were great about figuring out what my insurance would pay for (turns out only a few diagnostic tests) and giving a straightforward price sheet for out of pocket cost.
Describe Sonia Elguero's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
Loudonville

It was good but she [Dr. Elguero] got my Hope's up to much for nothing. I was told my eggs where perfect and I should end up pregnant I got nothing out of 3 embryos. I was told I had 9 embryos left to freeze and I lost of them. I just dont understand what happen. I was so sure then end up with nothing. She a nice doctor very sweet the whole thing was good just dont understand.
The clinic [Boston IVF - The Albany Center - Loudonville] was amazing the staff is very sweet. ... Wait time was short. ... The appointments was easy and worked for me the nurse call you back fast they get in fast for your first appointment. The staff is wonderful ... I was very happy with the 3 embryos tranfer ... [Nursing staff] Very Good ...
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
It was good but she got my Hope's up to much for nothing. I was told my eggs where perfect and I should end up pregnant I got nothing out of 3 embryos. I was told I had 9 embryos left to freeze and I lost of them. I just dont understand what happen. I was so sure then end up with nothing. She a nice doctor very sweet the whole thing was good just dont understand.
Speak up
I dont know
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
Very Good
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
The clinic was amazing the staff is very sweet. The appointments was easy and worked for me the nurse call you back fast they get in fast for your first appointment. Wait time was short. The staff is wonderful
I was very happy with the 3 embryos tranfer
Loudonville
Dr. Elguero is very knowledgeable and resourceful, but you have to make the effort to see her if your treatment plan isn't effective within a couple if months...No pregnancies yet. Letrozole 7.5 mg per cycle and Ovidrel injectables along with bloodwork and ultrasounds...after the initial consultation, I never heard from her or saw her unless I made the appointment to discuss the next step in the treatment plan.
Casey [nurse at Boston IVF] is quick to get back to patients with results of ultrasounds and bloodwork. She is very accommodating to scheduled and is flexible with clinic times. If she is unsure of an answer she will speak to the doctor and specify a time frame she will get back to you...The clinic is divided into 2 sections, the first for clinic appointments to receive monitoring and the other to see the doctor. However the coffee bar and general environment is welcoming and comfortable. When you walk in, you are immediately welcomed by the front desk.
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
The first time I met Dr. Elguero I was greeted with a warm smile. I felt like I was in competent hands. During our consultation, she thoroughly explained the plan of initial treatment and what she believed was the underlying diagnose. She is very smart and is able to answer any questions. However, after the initial consultation, I never heard from her or saw her unless I made the appointment to discuss the next step in the treatment plan.
Every time I walk into the clinic I am greeted by friendly faces. During the many times i have been late due to the travel time, I never felt like a burden. From the receptionist to the nurse to the financial aid expert, everyone returned my calls in a timely manner. When I arrive to appointments I am taken back quickly and they do their job efficiently. The environment they have created feels safe and inviting.
No pregnancies yet. Letrozole 7.5 mg per cycle and Ovidrel injectables along with bloodwork and ultrasounds. No further treatment due to financial costs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Casey)
Casey is quick to get back to patients with results of ultrasounds and bloodwork. She is very accommodating to scheduled and is flexible with clinic times. If she is unsure of an answer she will speak to the doctor and specify a time frame she will get back to you.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
Insurance has covered all costs with timed intercourse monitoring. After that, due to the fact that we are active duty military we are a discount as tricare will not cover any infertility monitoring with IUI or IVF.
Loudonville
She [Dr. Sonia Elguero] takes the time to explain results, the why, the what and everything in between...definitely is soft spoken but very knowledgable and has your best interest at hand. She makes sure to stop and explain everything she goes over with us and continues to see if we understand or have any questions of what was just reviewed... she doubled the dosage to increase chances of producing more eggs for a better probability to get pregnant
just seemed like one hand didn't know what the other was doing nurse had different information than the doctor [at Boston IVF]...As much as you want to be comfortable in an uncomfortable situation, I must say the waiting room chairs are not very comforting. The people greeting are ok nothing spectacular and not horrible. Once you are in the rest of the facility they are warm & welcoming
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Dr. Elguero definitely is soft spoken but very knowledgable and has your best interest at hand. She makes sure to stop and explain everything she goes over with us and continues to see if we understand or have any questions of what was just reviewed.
Don't be afraid to ask the questions you might not want the answers to, she tells you exactly what can/will happen
She takes the time to explain results, the why, the what and everything in between
She realized that a certain does of the meds wasn't acting as it should so she doubled the dosage to increase chances of producing more eggs for a better probability to get pregnant
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: michele)
this is where we felt more like we were treated as a number rather than a patient with a delicate situation. The nurses from before(Marsha & Grace) the IVF clinic was bought by Boston definitely treat you more like a single patient and not a number when you walk in the facility
Paying for the IVF, the medicine & the sperm retrieval
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
I wish that I had seen her [Dr. Sonia Elguero] more often and I wish that I had direct access to her through a portal...She was excellent and I felt like she was really going to tailor treatment to me. In prior experiences it seemed like doctors were just guessing and throwing everything at me to see what stuck, rather than looking at my case as individual. At one point she heard that I was on the phone with a nurse and she actually took the time in the middle of her day to get on the phone with me without scheduling. She never rushed me.
Often the phone [at Boston IVF] just rings and rings and you have to leave a message. Often the portal questions go without answer for days. I would have appreciated more updates on embryo status during those nailbiting days after retrieval. This clinic batches retrievals which is annoying - so you have to take BCP to line up your period with everyone else... cost us about $8500 for everything (excluding drugs) - retrieval, transfer, ICSI, anesthesia, etc.
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
She was excellent and I felt like she was really going to tailor treatment to me. In prior experiences it seemed like doctors were just guessing and throwing everything at me to see what stuck, rather than looking at my case as individual. At one point she heard that I was on the phone with a nurse and she actually took the time in the middle of her day to get on the phone with me without scheduling. She never rushed me. I wish that I had seen her more often and I wish that I had direct access to her through a portal.
Dr Elguero actually took the time to have read through a mountain of information provided PRIOR to my arrival so she was completely prepared to discuss my case. It seemed like she took a real interest in my case and seemed like she really wanted to help us. She was compassionate but also straightforward and didn't sugarcoat anything for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Often the phone just rings and rings and you have to leave a message. Often the portal questions go without answer for days. I would have appreciated more updates on embryo status during those nailbiting days after retrieval. This clinic batches retrievals which is annoying - so you have to take BCP to line up your period with everyone else.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
This clinic batches you so you have to take BCP to line up your period with everyone else. Everyone retrieves the same week, etc. The portal is great for getting test results, but phone communication is weak... often rings and rings and hard to get someone on the phone.
I had no insurance, but I think it cost us about $8500 for everything (excluding drugs) - retrieval, transfer, ICSI, anesthesia, etc.
Loudonville
She [Dr. Elguero] was always honest, kind, and considerate, she always takes the best evidenced based practice and applied it to my case...She was warm, kind and considerate. While meeting with her everything thing was throughly explained...She's very smart but it's hard to get in contact with her you have to go through your nurse.
[The nurse at Boston IVF is] Very efficient and effective great communication. She knows what she is doing and I never questioned that...The cycles are controlled unlike other clinics so there is a waiting period you can't just get started right away the stim and transfers...$20 copayment, 8k for gententic testing and $1400 for medications.
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
She was always honest, kind, and considerate, she always takes the best evidenced based practice and applied it to my case. I never had to question or worry about if I was doing the best protocol because I trust her so much.
My first cycle was 250 gonalf 75 menopur and .25 cetrotide. I triggered with 80units of lupron. I was disappointed with our results 15 eggs retrieved 8 mature 6 fertilized 2 made it blastocyst and to pgs testing 1 normal. We wanted to do another round to get a few more gentically good.embryos for a the future before transfer so Dr. Sonia was a little more aggressive.. 300 gonal f 75 menopur .25 cetrotide I triggered with the 80u of lupron and 5000u of hcg. 29 eggs retrieved 22 mature 19 fertilized 9 made it blastocyst and 5 were gentically good and frozen. Transfer is May 3!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle ciotti )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
$20 copayment, 8k for gententic testing and $1400 for medications.
Dr. Sonia follows the code of with ethics and doesn't budge. I asked about transferring two embryos and she said no because we know they are gentically good and risk assoicated with mutiples is higher. If to prove to have implantion issues she would consider transfering two
Loudonville

I dont recall seeing her [Sonia Elguero] alot. I felt she was professional but not as compassionate as i thought she would be. The techs were very nice. I do believe she initially did my iui, but unfortunately it failed.... I used clomid for 4 cycles, and an injection for one of those cycles with iui.... The monitoring was around $300. Iui with sperm was about $500
The clinics [Boston IVF-Albany Center] weakness is that It feels like a doctors office. Not a comfortable setting. I feel a strength is the nurses who give monitoring. They are very friendly and informative at the office. The usually took linger than expected to call you into your appointment.... I used clomid for 4 cycles, and an injection for one of those cycles with iui.... The monitoring was around $300. Iui with sperm was about $500
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
I dont recall seeing her alot. I felt she was professional but not as compassionate as i thought she would be. The techs were very nice. I do believe she initially did my iui, but unfortunately it failed.
To be prepared to have little information and be treated like a patient.
I felt like i was a patient usi g their services. They were nice.
I used clomid for 4 cycles, and an injection for one of those cycles with iui.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
The clinics weakness is that It feels like a doctors office. Not a comfortable setting. I feel a strength is the nurses who give monitoring. They are very friendly and informative at the office. The usually took linger than expected to call you into your appointment.
They wer very high. The monitoring was around $300. Iui with sperm was about $500
Loudonville
Ask her [Dr. Elguero] to test every possible scenario and try to figure out what’s keeping you from getting pregnant rather than repeating treatments that are unsuccessful...She was very sweet. Very informative. But never felt like we were actually looking for the problem and taking care of it. We just did treatment after treatment with no results... I don’t feel like she tried to figure out our issue. Just kept doing treatment after treatment with no result. We had 5 rounds of IUI and we just kept going back for more rather than testing to see what’s wrong.
They [staff at Boston IVF] are very nice and sweet, helpful and compassionate. I would like to see the try to focus on diagnosing the Issue before the keep going to treatments that are not successful and end up being very costly and heartbreaking for the patients...Ask her [Dr. Elguero] to test every possible scenario and try to figure out what’s keeping you from getting pregnant rather than repeating treatments that are unsuccessful
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
At the time of my visit Dr Elguero was Personable, sweet, thorough but at the same time I don’t feel like she tried to figure out our issue. Just kept doing treatment after treatment with no result. We had 5 rounds of IUI and we just kept going back for more rather than testing to see what’s wrong.
Ask her to test every possible scenario and try to figure out what’s keeping you from getting pregnant rather than repeating treatments that are unsuccessful
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
They are very nice and sweet, helpful and compassionate. I would like to see the try to focus on diagnosing the Issue before the keep going to treatments that are not successful and end up being very costly and heartbreaking for the patients