6.7

778 Main St
South Portland, ME 04106
207.358.7600

IUI With Other Docs
Dr Alper is very knowledgeable and well recognized for fertility treatment. I have experienced two miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy and did not receive much compassion about this, although he provided me with factual and realistic information in regards to these occurrences. In my circumstances, he seemed to be very focused on the medical and scientific aspect of the treatment and did not seem to give any sympathy to my losses, which was hard for me. He provided me with very detailed and accurate information in regards to my procedures and what to expect.
Clinic [Boston IVF-South Portland] was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
If you are looking for bedside manner and emotional support through the process, I would recommend looking for a different provider
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
During my continued treatment, I have had a number of misfortunes; such as two chemical pregnancies and one ectopic pregnancy resulting in the removal of my fallopian tubes. I have had a number of diagnostic tests done and although I have follow ups to review the results, at my next visit, the Doctor suggesting testing that has already been completed and reviewed. This makes it seem as though he does not remember my case or take the time to review my file before my appointments.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF - The Maine Center and their degree of success.
When I started working with Dr Alper, I had already completed 5 failed IUI cycles with my OB/GYN. Dr Alper completed all of the initial testing and stated that I was young and healthy and there was no reason that In-Vitro should not work. He determined that one of my fallopian tubes appeared to be blocked but we would be bypassing that with the in-vitro so there was no need to worry. During my first in-vitro cycle I took the injectable medications during the initial egg retrieval process. I had 15 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized, and one embryo transferred in a fresh cycle. After the embryo transfer, I was put on progesterone gel once time daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test, rising HCG until around 6 weeks and then miscarriage. Once my HCG level returned to 0, we completed a thaw cycle. This time after transfer I was put on progesterone suppository three times daily, estrogen patch that was changed 2 times a week, and estrogen pill two times daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with rising HCG until around 6 weeks with miscarriage. After this, Dr Alper did antibody testing, imaging of the lining of my uterus, and a biopsy of the lining of my uterus; all of these tests came back normal so Dr Alper approved another thaw cycle. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with HGC levels that were not rising appropriately. I was treated for ectopic, my HCG levels lowered, but it resulted in a hematoma in my fallopian tube, hemorrhage with internal bleeding, and I had both of my fallopian tubes removed as there was a cyst in my other tube. Still Dr Alper feels hopeful for a healthy pregnancy, although I am not feeling so optimistic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Maine Center. (Assigned nurse: Barbra Delsignore)
Slow in returning phone calls with important results
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
Clinic was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
My initial in vitro cycle with egg retrieval was 8,900 dollars and an additional 2500 for my injectable medications. When I used progesterone gel, this was 300 dollars for 2 weeks worth. My first thaw cycle was 3500 plus costs of medications, and my third thaw cycle was 4000 plus costs of medication. I had all of my monitoring ultrasounds and blood work done at a hospital that was more convenient for me, so this was an additional cost in my treatment.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
After my two miscarriages and ectopic pregnancy, Dr Alper approved to transfer 2 embryos at next transfer if this is what I wish to do.
Michael Alper
South Portland
I would say that he [Dr. Benjamin Lannon] should maybe do blood tests of the female to really check hormonal levels prior to jumping into IUI and other fertility treatments...He mentioned doing an HSG first then from there doing IUI’s for as many rounds as we wanted depending on if my tubes were found to be open. If that didn’t work, then he recommended Clomid IVF where they monitor my follicles and only remove 2 mature eggs and fertilize them and then implant them back into my body. He understood we do not feel right doing General IVF.
Some [nurses at Boston IVF] were rushed but we had one great nurse that we chatted with on the phone when we needed bloodwork for our pregnancy...Consolation was $250-$300...Ultrasound for miscarriage was $350-400...he was open to what we wanted but felt at least 2 embryos transferred were best in order to boost...chances...They were great about getting us in quickly and great to talk with. The secretary’s could be a bit more understanding of the patients fear and having lots of questions about the paperwork. Great company
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
Dr. Lannister’s was gentle and kind. Though he felt that us not getting pregnant on 4 rounds of clomid was an orange flag and not a red flag, he didn’t take the time to explain why. He was organized and very kind but never thought to test my hormones or my thyroid. I felt that he was the same as my PCP and OB in that sense. Jumping right into IUI or clomid IVF is intense and may not be necessary if all other body parts are working. (Fallopian tubes) ext. We did get pregnant on our own only to miscarry after our first consultation. But he said if we weren’t pregnant in 6 months to call him to start IUI. So we left feeling like we were broken and not heard and pushed into treatment even though we conceived on our own. Over all he’s kind, not rushed, and understands that we don’t want to be there for help as we want to do it naturally but have no other option. But he gets that bedside manner is important and that it is a huge leap of faith. I do recommend him!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
I would say that he should maybe do blood tests of the female to really check hormonal levels prior to jumping into IUI and other fertility treatments. Obviously doing this after the males sperm has been tested first.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
He took the time with us to answer all questions. He gently explained things. Though he did good, we left feeling that there wasn’t enough testing done in order to confirm his plan was right for us. But he was kind and understanding and willing to listen to us.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Lannon used in your cycles at Boston IVF - The Maine Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
Some were rushed but we had one great nurse that we chatted with on the phone when we needed bloodwork for our pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
Consolation was $250-$300. Not covered by insurance. Ultrasound for miscarriage was $350-400.
Describe Benjamin Lannon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
No, he was open to what we wanted but felt at least 2 embryos transferred were best in order to boost purchases chances.
South Portland

Dr. Lannon I would rate as Ok, he really did not give me any new information that I already didn't know and was not upfront about all my options (pushed IVF hard before trying anything else)...I always felt like a number, when we met with him for our first consult I felt as though he was giving me the same info he had given every patient. Nothing felt individualized. He also pushed IVF very hard on us and did not let me know all my options. I did 2 IUI's at Boston IVF which were done by nurses. I never saw him after our initial consult.
First off, any time I called to ask a question the receptionist would hurry me off the phone like I was bothering her and used a very unfriendly tone. If you are a self-pay patient like me (insurance will not cover any of my treatments) you must pay for the treatment or consults you are having in advance before they will even let you make the appointment. This has to be done through their website with a credit card. After your payment is accepted then they will take your call to make an appointment. This continued to make me feel like a number and the entire practice just felt like a business trying to make as much money as they could a and not a care team....The clinic [Boston IVF] is pretty simple, I thought it would actually be a little nicer for the amount of money patients are paying for the service. I did like that they had coffee in the Lobby though for the patients.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
I would say advocate for what you need and want because he is not very straight forward.
I did not have a very positive experience at Boston IVF. First off, any time I called to ask a question the receptionist would hurry me off the phone like I was bothering her and used a very unfriendly tone. If you are a self-pay patient like me (insurance will not cover any of my treatments) you must pay for the treatment or consults you are having in advance before they will even let you make the appointment. This has to be done through their website with a credit card. After your payment is accepted then they will take your call to make an appointment. This continued to make me feel like a number and the entire practice just felt like a business trying to make as much money as they could a and not a care team. Dr. Lannon I would rate as Ok, he really did not give me any new information that I already didn't know and was not upfront about all my options (pushed IVF hard before trying anything else). I would not recommend Boston IVF South Portland to anyone I know.
He used Clomid and we did 2 IUI's. We did not do anything else with him because we did not feel comfortable.
I met with one nurse that was very nice who did one of our IUI's but the others often made me feel like a number and just seemed like they wanted to get me out of there as soon as possible. They spoke very quickly, often did not make eye contact and did not spend any time listening to my questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
The clinic is pretty simple, I thought it would actually be a little nicer for the amount of money patients are paying for the service. I did like that they had coffee in the Lobby though for the patients.
IUI's were $500, I did not do IVF but the price I was quoted was $8000 for the procedure and $4-5000 for the medication.
We did not do this.
South Portland

He [Dr. Lannon] is willing to get into the nitty gritty details of the science of treatment, but also the emotional aspects. He takes your whole picture into account. Has a great and appropriate sense of humor. ... He is extremely available for questions at any time and goes to bat for you to try to make things go as smoothly as possible. He helps you think through all your options and the pros and cons without pressuring you one way or the other. I don't know if I could have keep going with treatment without his support.
The front office staff [At Boston IVF] is not particularly friendly and I had a few very non-compassionate interactions. If you are deviating from their usual protocols things might get messed up and you have to be on top of things for yourself. Timing of monitoring is not flexible but they did always get me in pretty early so I wasn't too late for work. The ultrasound techs rotate in and are not specific to the clinic, so they are very different in what they tell you about what they are seeing which I found stressful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
He was the second doctor I saw and changing to him made a huge difference. He is extremely available for questions at any time and goes to bat for you to try to make things go as smoothly as possible. He helps you think through all your options and the pros and cons without pressuring you one way or the other. I don't know if I could have keep going with treatment without his support.
Go in to the visit with all your questions written down, he will take the time to go through them all with you.
He is willing to get into the nitty gritty details of the science of treatment, but also the emotional aspects. He takes your whole picture into account. Has a great and appropriate sense of humor.
Still in the middle of treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Maine Center. (Assigned nurse: Barbara)
The nurses were ok, I feel they could have been more responsive and organized. There were multiple miscommunications and mix ups. I did not get much emotional support from them.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
The front office staff is not particularly friendly and I had a few very non-compassionate interactions. If you are deviating from their usual protocols things might get messed up and you have to be on top of things for yourself. Timing of monitoring is not flexible but they did always get me in pretty early so I wasn't too late for work. The ultrasound techs rotate in and are not specific to the clinic, so they are very different in what they tell you about what they are seeing which I found stressful.
So far, about $20,000
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
IUI With Other Docs
My treatment strategy was very different than most fertility patients Dr. Alper told me. I create too many follicles...I felt like I was just a number to Dr. Alper. He was not very personable. When meeting or speaking with him about next steps, it always seemed like he was just taking a guess on what we should do next. ... Our personalities didn't work together. I needed more than just the facts during this financial and emotional roller coaster.
Being a new patient and extremely nervous of the unknown, I think the front desk [Boston IVF] could be a little more upbeat and friendly. The financial coordinator was at times hard to talk to due to her abruptness. She seemed annoyed at times when I would ask questions via phone. She was excellent when answering emails and would respond in a quick fashion.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
Meeting Dr. Alper for the first time was a quick 20 minute consult, which was surprising to me since we were paying a large sum out of pocket for this visit. He described the general process of IVF and said he would send the information to his nurse. I was really taken back by the lack of personality and how business like it was. I continued to get treatment with him as my doctor because it was convenient for my job and location. I thought maybe I was being too critical and my husband agreed. After the first round of IVF, the only time I spoke or met with Doctor Alper was our consult and the meeting after hearing we were not pregnant. This meeting was to go over the first round and our next steps. This meeting was about 20 minutes as well. I was disappointed that Dr. Alper was my doctor, but never did any of my egg retrievals or transfers. I was not informed by him that he would not be doing either procedure. For my second round of IVF he adjusted my medications and steps we would take to conceive. When it was time to transfer the embryos, he did listen to my husband and my opinion about transferring both embryos. We did conceive! Only to have a chemical pregnancy a couple weeks later. During that time, I worked with my nurse and another doctor in the office. I couldn't believe that my own doctor was not helping my husband and I through the difficult time. Dr. Alper did call a few weeks after my chemical pregnancy to discuss next steps and informed me that I did not have a miscarriage, but a chemical pregnancy. The way he told me that made me feel awful. I felt like he could have explained the difference to me in a more gentle way. Dr. Alper is a very smart man and it showed during our conversations. I just feel like it wasn't a good match. Our personalities didn't work together. I needed more than just the facts during this financial and emotional roller coaster. Looking back at my experience with Dr. Alper, I wished I stood my ground and did what I felt was right for me instead of listening to others and thinking “I am new to this world of IVF and maybe this is just how it is.”
Be up front with him on what you need or want. Ask him if he can give you what you need/want. If not, find another doctor. Be your own advocate.
I felt like I was just a number to Dr. Alper. He was not very personable. When meeting or speaking with him about next steps, it always seemed like he was just taking a guess on what we should do next. It did not make me feel very comfortable with the financial and emotional burden for a "Well, maybe we should try this... no, I think I would like to try this instead..." On another note, Dr. Alper was my doctor who reviewed my progress and gave instructions for our plan forward, but he never did any of my egg retrieval or transfers. This was unexpected the first time going through the IVF process.
My treatment strategy was very different than most fertility patients Dr. Alper told me. I create too many follicles, so he wanted to start me on the lowest dosage of Gonal F he has prescribed. He started me on 150 units of Gonal F for the first few nights then lowered it down to 87.5 units for the reminder of injections. He lowered the dosage due to the fact that my hormone level was too high and they needed my eggs to develop more slowly. For this round of IVF they collected 20 eggs, 7 eggs were fertilized and 5 became embryos. The transfer was on day 3 and my remaining embryos did not make it to day 5 to freeze. For my second round of IVF, he prescribed 100 units of Gonal F due to the fact that my follicles grew too quickly last cycle. 10 eggs were collected, 5 fertilized and 4 were embryos. We transferred 2 embryos on day 3 due to the quality of my eggs and thinking they would not last until day 5. This would give them a better chance to survive. I did conceive this cycle, but ended with a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Maine Center. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Del Signore)
My nurse was very friendly and compassionate. She was very kind and was always willing to help in any way she could. My only complaint was she was disorganized and when I would call or email her with questions or concerns, she didn't seem like she knew what she was talking about.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
Being a new patient and extremely nervous of the unknown, I think the front desk could be a little more upbeat and friendly. The financial coordinator was at times hard to talk to due to her abruptness. She seemed annoyed at times when I would ask questions via phone. She was excellent when answering emails and would respond in a quick fashion.
Cost was around $8,900 for IVF, egg retrieval and transfer. The medication was separate. The medication cost around $2300. Cost was around $10,500 for IVF w/ICIS, egg retrieval and transfer. This cost was with a 25% discount through the clinic. The medication was around $2000.
Michael Alper