Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Dr. Ryley certainly knows what he's doing, so I really trusted him to manage my care. However, it was so hard to get an appointment and when I was with him, I always felt the ticking clock in the background. He would talk so fast and overwhelm me with information, so I never had time to fully process and formulate questions I wanted to ask. As a result, many questions went unanswered, which was very stressful and at times upsetting, especially when things did not go as expected during some of my treatment.
Jess was a fantastic nurse. She was the only person [at Boston IVF] I knew how to contact and would always respond to me in a timely manner with answers to my many questions...is a total factory: you just get on the conveyor belt and go. There's very little personal touch, and no one is going to hold your hand through the process. That said, they have this down to a science and it's very easy to get your monitoring appointments and results, medication shipped to you, etc. It's definitely a trade-off, but I would opt for a smaller clinic next time because the personal touch outweighs the efficiency for me.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Do not expect to have your hand held throughout this process. You will get very efficient, high quality care, but he is not there to guide you through it. Be your own advocate and go into each appointment prepared with questions and don't be afraid to take all the time you need with him, even if it feels like he's trying to rush you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was always really great in our human interactions; however, I think Boston IVF on the whole treats its patients like numbers vs. humans. When I had logistical complications during my IVF cycle, there was literally no one I could reach out to who I felt would want to help me. Dr. Ryley is impossible to get an appointment with, so everything takes so much longer than it should. That said, Dr. Ryley was very straightforward with me about our odds and as a result I felt like I could really trust that he wasn't giving us false hope. He was very realistic but also very positive and encouraging. There were just so many times when we felt totally lost and alone in the process and wish we had gone to a smaller clinic for a more human touch.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My husband and I have unexplained infertility, so we started with 3 medicated IUIs (with Clomid days 3-7) and then moved on to IVF (Gonal-F, Menopur, and Cetrotide). All IUIs were unsuccessful. My IVF round led to only 5 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized, and 2 made it to day 5 blastocysts. One was transferred and one was frozen for later transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Young)
Jess was a fantastic nurse. She was the only person I knew how to contact and would always respond to me in a timely manner with answers to my many questions. I really appreciated her patience and organization when it came to managing my care through a very stressful process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a total factory: you just get on the conveyor belt and go. There's very little personal touch, and no one is going to hold your hand through the process. That said, they have this down to a science and it's very easy to get your monitoring appointments and results, medication shipped to you, etc. It's definitely a trade-off, but I would opt for a smaller clinic next time because the personal touch outweighs the efficiency for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
My IUI and IVF cycles were fully covered by my insurance, so I only had to pay for medication and appointment co-pays out of pocket. This wound up being maybe $300 for all 3 IUI cycles plus 1 IVF cycle.
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Ryley strongly advised we just transfer one embryo given my age.
IUI With Other Docs
As a patient I had very limited interactions with Dr. Wright. She did call after a cancelled cycle which I thought was appropriate. I did feel like the info structure as a whole was like an “IVF Farm” one in and one out. I had to be persistent if I felt something didn’t seem right...The best description I can give is that all my conversations with her were very transactional. Only when I pushed back or questioned something were changes made. I had to trust my instincts and question everything to have treatment adapted to me and my situation and not cookie cutter.
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] were very caring. Some days it took a while to call back; however, I feel that may have been more related to the whole system...Cancelled cycle was - 5,500 included retrieval but no transfer. Medication each cycle was 1,700...Strengths - open every day of the week, numerous locations, nursing staff Weaknesses - big clinic feel, you are a number and must advocate for yourself every step of the way if not you fall on the standard protocol which may not best for your body. It’s overwhelming and they move so fast by the time you are back in your car your head is spinning. Ask then to slow down and explain everything in detail. Ask lots of questions.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
As a patient I had very limited interactions with Dr. Wright. She did call after a cancelled cycle which I thought was appropriate. I did feel like the info structure as a whole was like an “IVF Farm” one in and one out. I had to be persistent if I felt something didn’t seem right. While Dr. Wright has done this hundreds of time it was my first time seeking IVF treatment so you have to advocate yourself.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Ask questions. A lot of questions. If the questions come later call and ask them. Don’t wait - this is your body and your potential child.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
2 cycles of an antagonist cycle, Gonal-F 300 iu, menapur 150iu - 225iu, then cetrotide for the last few days. Triggered with 10,000iu of HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Marianne)
The nursing staff were very caring. Some days it took a while to call back; however, I feel that may have been more related to the whole system.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
Lexington

[Dr. Wright] clearly had years of experience behind her, which was helpful and reassuring. And she was not condescending in our discussions...The down side to the experience with Wright is that at a few points, I decided that the recommended approach would not be enough.This example occurred when, after 2 failed IUI cycles, she recommended a third and I just didn't see how the third would yield any different result.
The clinic [IVF New England] in Waltham is accessible, clean, safe and secure. I felt the doctors and nurses were attentive and personal, and made every attempt to make me comfortable. I had several tests performed here (HSG, sonohysterogram, and IVF extraction), and they were done smoothly and quickly...I often got a call in the afternoon after lab results were available. The nurses were direct but compassionate, especially Nicki. There were a few times where either the nurses or the pharmacies would get the medication quantities wrong, and that led to out of pocket expenses which were infuriating. For the most part though, I was happy with the nursing team response.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Kristen Wright was more relatable than other doctors in New England IVF, but she spoke matter-of-factly and took the factors of my fertility challenges into account. Wright clearly had years of experience behind her, which was helpful and reassuring. And she was not condescending in our discussions, as some other doctors have been in the past. The down side to the experience with Wright is that at a few points, I decided that the recommended approach would not be enough. This example occurred when, after 2 failed IUI cycles, she recommended a third and I just didn't see how the third would yield any different result. I also often had to follow up our visits with online research to better understand the recommended treatments and the process, as doctors don't often have time to show patients all of the steps in the process. I also didn't always know the timeline for the various treatment approaches. One IUI cycle is straight forward, but the IVF process is more convoluted and often requires many weeks of insurance approvals, so there were frequently longer than expected stretches of time between treatments.
Do your reading offline after consultations and follow up visits, and ensure you are informed on the treatments so there are no surprises. Be direct and get as much information as you can about the timelines for treatment and what is involved in getting insurance approvals.
Dr. Wright addressed all of my and my husband's questions, but she was perfunctory and with minimal emotion. I felt like her office took our situation as a unique case, rather than as one of many routines, but I did sometimes feel like I had to advocate for myself and my combination of factors in order to get a good recommendation that was not generic.
1. Rounds of pre-treatment testing and genetic testing, these were expensive and tough to schedule around my travel, but we completed this in a few months. 2. IUI - I performed two rounds of this treatment, using Letrozol as a trigger around days 14 of my cycle. This required monitoring of my bloodwork and ultrasound results every other day over the course of approximately 2 weeks. This was unsuccessful. 3. Egg retrieval - I used Gonal F, Cetrotide and Lupron as trigger during this time. The egg retrieval yielded 42 eggs, of which 25 fertilized, and ultimately 7 embryos were preserved. I was expecting a transfer but given my response to the retrieval, the decision was made to make this a freezing cycle. I will perform the transfer in a few months.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic in Waltham is accessible, clean, safe and secure. I felt the doctors and nurses were attentive and personal, and made every attempt to make me comfortable. I had several tests performed here (HSG, sonohysterogram, and IVF extraction), and they were done smoothly and quickly.
Genetic testing - $400 for husband, $700 for me Each ultrasound appointment was around $400, and ~50% was covered by my insurance. IUI medication - $100 out of pocket IVF process - $7,500 of my lifetime maximum under United Health insurance, and additional $750 out of pocket. For medication, each Gonal F pen was $750 at Village Fertility Pharmacy (and a whopping $1,300 at CVS specialty care), various other medication totaled $2,500 in sum. Embryo Freezing - $1200 for first 3 months, $85 per month following Embryo Transfer - Expected to be around $1,000 per attempt
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I am Type I diabetic and it was not an option for me to receive a multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
For my second IUI cycle, I was to receive a double dose of medication and the clinic failed to call it in to the pharmacy, so I only received half the dosage initially. For my egg retrieval, the communication with the pharmacy was off, and I did not receive any medication the day I was scheduled to start. There were a lot of phone calls trying to rectify the mistake, and I ended up driving to several pharmacies to pick up meds. The saving grace was a nurse named Barbara, who ended up staying late at the clinic in New Hampshire to hold a donated medication pen to give me so that I could start a cycle on time and not need to wait an extra month.
North Chelmsford

2022, Unsuccessful
Dr Li was very up front with her recommendation given our medical profile, and was confident IVF would yield the best outcome for us. She educated us on the data and the treatment protocol that was recommended. She answered all of my questions and used visual aids to help explain the science and process of IVF and PGT-A testing.
A huge bonus is that the [Boston IVF] clinic has several monitoring sites and I have never had an issue with scheduling an appointment or getting testing completed. There is little to no wait time at the clinic. The only weakness I would say is that the monitoring sites do not know a lot about your protocol, and only perform the necessary tests.
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
Go into every meeting with questions prepared for her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
Dr Li made extra time in her schedule to meet with us for additional consultations. She helped answer any questions we had and made us feel heard.
Describe the protocols Sandy Li used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol with PGT-A testing due to diminished ovarian reserve, recurrent pregnancy loss and age factor. Gonal-F and Meopur at max dosing, added in Centrotide day 5 due to concerns of pre-ovulation. Lupron Trigger 36 hours before retrieval. Produced 8 eggs, 4 mature, 1 fertilized and frozen but came back abnormal from PGT-A testing.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Dr. Li has a team of nurses, but you are never assigned to just one. They all do an excellent job with their response time. You are never able to speak to a live nurse when you call, the system is set up for the patient to leave a message and someone from the team calls back. I had the pleasure of connecting with a floating nurse on the team named Heidi and she was the most compassionate nurse I worked with. She advocated on my behalf when I felt like I needed more time with the Dr., and helped maximize my savings for prescription medications since I was self-pay. Heidi also called to check on me several times and corrected errors others made on the team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A huge bonus is that the clinic has several monitoring sites and I have never had an issue with scheduling an appointment or getting testing completed. There is little to no wait time at the clinic. The only weakness I would say is that the monitoring sites do not know a lot about your protocol, and only perform the necessary tests.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Li at Boston IVF.
I have insurance but it did not cover IVF. My out of pocket costs were 12,571 which included monitoring, egg retrieval, and PGT-A testing. Medications were 5,000 and if I have an embryo transfer that would have been 3,400.
Describe Sandy Li's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
It was clear and agreed up from the beginning that we only want a eSET!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The nursing team accidentally canceled monitoring appointments, and another time scheduled them on the wrong day (past date vs future date). They also did not complete paperwork that was needed for a prescription discount program and were not knowledgeable on that process.
Sandy Li
Stoneham
Dr Pauli was always really attentive and informed whenever we met with him. He explained every detail and possibility for us. Sometimes, he would call me after hours to update me on results or if I was having an issue with the clinic...[he] is incredibly generous with his time and knowledge and making us feel like we're moving forward
The doctors [at Boston IVF] are great. If your IVF is pretty straight forward, then I'm sure you'll have no issues going through the process, but do not expect the nurses or the clinicians to know your case or even glance at it before they call you for anything other than routine med calls during your cycle...I went two months without a period and no one wondered where I was or what my status was, so you absolutely have to be your own advocate otherwise, you won't make a jot of progress.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr Paul is incredibly generous with his time and knowledge and making us feel like we're moving forward. He was recommended to us by my OB-GYN because of his compassion and his expertise which are not exaggerated.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff at Boston IVF are the gatekeepers to your doctor. Every time you ask a question about some element of your treatment, you get the stock answer. Do not expect anyone to be familiar with your file or listen when you explain to them that you have x issue, they are not intimately familiar with your case nor do they care. They're used to straightforward IVF procedures, not nuance.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
This place is an actual disaster. The doctors are great. If your IVF is pretty straight forward, then I'm sure you'll have no issues going through the process, but do not expect the nurses or the clinicians to know your case or even glance at it before they call you for anything other than routine med calls during your cycle. Insurance is an actual disaster and you need to stay on them because you'll lose serious time with oversights. (Example: For me, they wasted two months trying to file my medications with a prescription that doesn't work with my insurance and insisting that I was wrong and telling me to call. No.) Their delays will cost you, for me, it meant three surgeries, one that I wouldn't have required had they been competent. Some of this competency is due to their insurance and authorization people being understaffed and clearly uninformed or unfamiliar. Finally, they basically leave you to manage your own care. No one is holding your hand through this or keeping-up with you. I went two months without a period and no one wondered where I was or what my status was, so you absolutely have to be your own advocate otherwise, you won't make a jot of progress.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
$3000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
They called my prescriptions in to the wrong pharmacy, a pharmacy not even ASSOCIATED with my insurance. For six weeks I waited for pre-authorizations which were not received. I was told to call the pharmacy and they said they never received the authorizations. It was clear that no one at Boston IVF knew what they were doing and the nursing team was tasked with spending six hours on the phone to figure this out instead of the insurance or billing people. I have had multiple delays due to Covid-19, clerical errors that resulted in additional surgeries, and additional stressors. The lack of attention to your record is a huge issue with the assumption that all patients are simply impatient.
Samuel Pauli
Lexington

I liked [Dr. David Ryley] but hated BostonIVF and because of a lot of errors. Each time Dr Ryley apologized for theses errors and told me that he couldn’t be with me each step of the way because of patient volume. He is a nice person but he is practicing in the wrong place... had a great bedside manner but BostonIVF is a large organization that doesn’t make patient individual care a priority. You see so many doctors and PAs that aren’t your direct care provider and it makes the process extremely hard and stressful to manage.
we found out they [Boston IVF] accidentally billed the wrong insurance and are refusing to take ownership and are trying to charge us over $15,000 for IVF and transfer when I had 2 insurances!!!! They do not document well and each department makes mistakes they cover up!...They do not internally communicate well and documentation is a problem...We had an early miscarriage and when we went for follow up, they found they had “lost” the other embryo in thaw. I was shocked and so upset they didn’t tell me and took the opportunity to discuss what we should have done during transfer.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I liked Dr Ryley but hated BostonIVF and because of a lot of errors. Each time Dr Ryley apologized for theses errors and told me that he couldn’t be with me each step of the way because of patient volume. He is a nice person but he is practicing in the wrong place.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do research and when things feel wrong or you think things are being handled poorly speak up. I felt I gave them so many times to mend relationships because of errors and felt like I had to stay with the practice but I was wrong! No one knows you like you do and you have to put yourself first! Leave and find a different practice if things aren’t right!!!
Dr Ryley had a great bedside manner but BostonIVF is a large organization that doesn’t make patient individual care a priority. You see so many doctors and PAs that aren’t your direct care provider and it makes the process extremely hard and stressful to manage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Heidi up front didn’t like me because I was a nurse and had very specific questions. I felt she would speak to me very poorly, not return my calls at times or call me right before leaving so if I missed her call I wouldn’t speak to her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They appeared from the outside that they were this amazing world class facility and I went to them because I thought I would be cared for. They do not internally communicate well and documentation is a problem.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There were multiple small errors that occurred during my time at BostonIVF but always seemed to catch them before being a problem myself. We did a FET has 2 PGS embryos. We were told on the day of transfer everything was perfect. We had struggled to develop a thick lining but my doctor stated because we would do a single transfer we could go ahead. We placed our embryo and knew we had one left frozen. We had an early miscarriage and when we went for follow up, they found they had “lost” the other embryo in thaw. I was shocked and so upset they didn’t tell me and took the opportunity to discuss what we should have done during transfer. They also couldn’t give me specifics about what happened that day and had no documentation. We left the practice after that. Then we found out they accidentally billed the wrong insurance and are refusing to take ownership and are trying to charge us over $15,000 for IVF and transfer when I had 2 insurances!!!! They do not document well and each department makes mistakes they cover up!

2014 - 2018, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Kuohung] was candid and professional but she handed off most of her tasks to her nurses. I only saw her to sign consent forms and she only called me to give me results after my cycle failed. However, she was prompt in answering questions over email when I felt that the nurses were not responding to me..The doctor also did not spend time walking me through the protocol. When it failed, she tried to hurry me into starting another cycle. I felt like it was just about generating more sales for them.
Boston IVF looks like it was just starting out. It’s office was under construction when I visited and their nurses were not organized at all. I got mixed answers when I called. I had to call to ask them when I could start because no one had gotten back to me... One nurse told me one thing while another told me different so I had to request that they provide me patient education and a treatment plan. When they had to double my dose, one of the nurses was nice enough to put aside samples for me so that I would have enough medication but I felt like I should never have been put in that situation in the first place. They didnt prompt me ahead of time to know what to expect, I had to ask if I knew.
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Wendy was candid and professional but she handed off most of her tasks to her nurses. I only saw her to sign consent forms and she only called me to give me results after my cycle failed. However, she was prompt in answering questions over email when I felt that the nurses were not responding to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Ask a lot of questions and talk through the regimen with her as sometimes the nurses give mixed responses
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
I had a great experience the first time around with New England IVF. After Boston IVF acquired them and since I moved, it was more difficult to get answers to my questions. The nurses didn’t spend as much time explaining next steps and I had to ask them to go over all the details with me mid cycle after I felt that I was getting mixed messages. The doctor also did not spend time walking me through the protocol. When it failed, she tried to hurry me into starting another cycle. I felt like it was just about generating more sales for them.
Describe the protocols Wendy Kuohung used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
The first cycle was Gonal F and then crinone after the transfer. It resulted in 7 follicles, then 3 embryos, 1 transferred and 2 frozen. I had 1 live birth. A couple years later, only one frozen embryo was viable and transferred. I used progesterone in oil at the time and disliked this regimen. Had I known that I had a choice, I would have picked the crinone but it was not discussed with me. This transfer failed. I went back a year later to start a fresh cycle and was put on follistem and lupron. I was not responding and my dose was doubled mid cycle. They had to freeze my cycle after the retrieval which obtained only 3 follicles. Only 1 follicle moves onto the embryo stage. They waited a few days to freeze it but unfortunately it did not make it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The first time I did it, was ha nurses at New England IVF walked me through each detail. The second time around Boston IVF did not do any patient education but just told me to watch videos online. I also didn’t know I had a choice between crinone or progesterone otherwise I would have definitely picked the crinone. The third time, the care just got worse. The nurses told me different things and no one got back to me to start the cycle, I had to call and ask them to start. One nurse told me one thing while another told me different so I had to request that they provide me patient education and a treatment plan. When they had to double my dose, one of the nurses was nice enough to put aside samples for me so that I would have enough medication but I felt like I should never have been put in that situation in the first place. They didnt prompt me ahead of time to know what to expect, I had to ask if I knew.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
We experienced issues with our insurance denying some services because paperwork was filed incorrectly. That caused delays and it made me nervous how much we were going to have to pay. When I needed more medication, I wondered if it was due to the nurses incompetence because it took me a week to get more medicine. I Also ended up paying for medicines which I did not use because my embryo did not make it to transfer. Had I been told what medicines to get when, I would not have gotten them
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My husband gave the receptionist consent forms which were lost and found days later. When I needed medication, they told me they had to wait for insurance to authorize it which took a week but I wonder if it was a delay on their part as well. They told me conflicting messages about my treatment regimen, when to start and how much. When I had questions, sometimes they needed clarification and had to call me back with a response
Wendy Kuohung

Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr Rylely himself was pleasant, but he never left me with any notes to take home. I always left feeling like I had missed something because he said so many new things and just expected me to understand what was happening or what to do next...He's a decent doctor but it hardly matters; what you need as a patient is a good billing specialist and good nursing staff. Dr. Ryley has neither.
It took 6 months to get to the egg retrieval process because communication [at Boston IVF] is just so bad. By time I was ready to start my meds, I decided to switch clinics...The nursing and administrative staff is terrible. There were repeated clerical errors - wrong birth dates, lost vials, etc. For example, I had blood drawn 3 times for diagnostics because they kept forgetting to test me for things or insisted on testing me for things I already knew I had (e.g. I knew I had sickle cell trait, but they insisted on testing me, even though I had my test results forwarded form another doctor). It's impossible to get a hold of a person by calling. You always have to wait for them to call you back and they call whenever they feel like it. At some point I was waiting for probes to be made for PGD testing. They said they would call me when they were ready to proceed and that it usually takes 1-2 months for the probes to be made. After 2 months, I called them. They said "Oh, they've been ready for a month; you should have received a call".
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
The nursing and administrative staff is terrible. There were repeated clerical errors - wrong birth dates, lost vials, etc. For example, I had blood drawn 3 times for diagnostics because they kept forgetting to test me for things or insisted on testing me for things I already knew I had (e.g. I knew I had sickle cell trait, but they insisted on testing me, even though I had my test results forwarded form another doctor). It's impossible to get a hold of a person by calling. You always have to wait for them to call you back and they call whenever they feel like it. At some point I was waiting for probes to be made for PGD testing. They said they would call me when they were ready to proceed and that it usually takes 1-2 months for the probes to be made. After 2 months, I called them. They said "Oh, they've been ready for a month; you should have received a call". Literally you are on your own with these people. It took 6 months to get to the egg retrieval process because communication is just so bad. By time I was ready to start my meds, I decided to switch clinics. I just couldn't deal with BIVF.
I didn't get to this point. Right after I was prescribed Gonal-F along with other things and 2 days before I was supposed to start them, I switched clinics.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Terrible. They never answer the phone. You're always sent to voicemail. They call back about half of the time. If you request to be called back at a specific time, they don't call you back at all. There was an issue with the lab where they couldn't find my medical records for Boston IVF. We eventually realized it was because BIVF had inputted the wrong birth date. I had my blood drawn repeatedly during the diagnostic phase because they kept forgetting stuff or refused to consult my medical records. They also referred me to a genetics counselor that was out of network. Getting that bill in the mail was great. It took me 6 months, from August to February to actually get to the point where I could start the fertility meds/injections. They're also pretty grouchy when you call.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I had an issue with insurance where Boston IVF outright lied and said my insurance would cover PGD testing. There was a lot of back and forth where they said my insurance company said they would cover it and I called my insurance and they said they were waiting on medical documents from Boston IVF. I asked them if they could give me a note in writing saying that it was covered, but of course they couldn't/wouldn't. In the end, my claim was denied by my insurance and I had to come $5,000 out of pocket. I'm not even mad, I expected this from their staff because they're egregiously impatient, overbooked, and too busy to deal with their patients. When I switched clinics, they told me it would take up to 10 business days to have my records transferred over. On the 11th business day, they still hadn't sent it over. When I called, they said "they had sent them over a week ago, but they would try again". For some reason, it went through the second time. I'm 100% sure they didn't try to send it a first time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I had insurance and did not complete my cycle
Brighton

Dr. Thornton was kind and somewhat compassionate. If I was down about a high FSH she reminded me it wasn't that high (11). She is straight to the point though, she isn't really going to coddle you. After my first round of treatment only resulted in 2 dominant follicles and I was converted to an IUI, she asked me if I ever considered donor eggs. I was really disappointed that was discussed so quickly, but she was being real with me I guess. She agreed to change the protocol and move forward if I only had one follicle next time. Unfortunately that cycle was cancelled when they went in to retrieve and found no follicles, they assume I prematurely ovulated.
Boston IVF has its good and its bad points. They service a TON of patients and its easy to get lost in the shuffle, but I do feel the nurses and staff in Waltham care about the patients and want us to succeed. The downside to the high volume is not getting much for personal care because your doctor is too busy to really be adjusting protocols or meeting with you personally. I also didn't love that they aren't much into research... other websites for clinics have studies and videos and information for patients. I felt like Boston IVF was like the Costco of reproduction, and you are fortunate to be successful if you have only a small issue to work through or try enough times. Anyone with specific issues that need special attention or outside the box thinking would probably do better elsewhere.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be prepared going in. Dr. Thornton goes over things for sure, but there is a lot of information out there and questions you should be asking of any doctor. If she hesitates on proceeding, keep in mind that it is your choice and your body and don't give up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
My husband and I met with Dr. Thornton once, and I met with her once alone. She was always very nice and explained things in a way my husband liked, as her undergrad is in chemical engineering as is his. She seemed confident that I would be successful, and she explained the process well with pictures, etc. However, past those meetings I have felt like any other patient being pushed through the clinic. Three times a nurse told me to take a medication I didn't have (the insurance sometimes sends Cetritide but I had Ganirelix, and the insurance sometimes sends Gonal F, but I had Follistim) so it felt like no one was even reading my chart before speaking to me. After my second fail (premature ovulation prior to retrieval) I didn't receive a follow up call from the clinic to schedule a follow-up and next steps. I don't know if Dr. Thornton cares if I come back to Boston IVF ever, she likely has enough other 'numbers' to deal with.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 - Day 3 start, 450 iu Follistim, low dose HCG; Day 5 Ganirelix, up to 600 iu Follistim, low dose HCG. One decent follicle, one smaller - converted to IUI. Ovidrel shot. BFN Cycle 2 - Ganirelix and Estrogen patch prior to cycle start, Day 3 450 iu Follistim, 150 iu Menupur; Day 9 Ganirelix, Follistim same, and Menupur same. Day 11 had two dominant follicles and some smaller ones starting. Pregnyl shot, retrieval 36 hours later showed no follicles. Was instructed to go home and have sex (not sure why they didn't do an IUI at that point)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
I was so very NOT a fan of Dawn (Worcester office only) that I asked to be switched to a nurse out of the Waltham office. She lacks compassion as well as a knowledge of what she should say to a patient vs. what the doctor should be communicating. Abbey and Sonya (Dr. Thornton's other nurses) in Waltham are excellent though. The nursing staff in Waltham overall has been incredible - everyone you meet from the time you walk in, get blood taken, ultrasound, checked in for surgery, etc - they are SOOOOO great. They see your eyes start to tear and they always have tissues. I had to visit Waltham on Mothers Day for an ultrasound and they had a big bucket of roses and a sign that said "thinking of you all today and everyday" and I lost it. So touching. They are A+++++. In Waltham.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Pretty much 100% insurance paid after deductible. I think we paid $150 for one medication through Village Pharmacy. My scripts cost me a small co-pay (like $30) but the 'real' price was $15,000 just for the drugs! Phew!
Kim L. Thornton
Worcester

[Dr. Isaac Glasteing is a] Very knowledgeable doctor who wants to find out what the problem is, come up with the best plan accordingly for a positive outcome. He is very facts and stats mind set. He answered all of our questions without making us feel overwhelmed.
They [IVF New England- Lexington] are hard to get ahold of. They primary nurse you speak to us good he was super helpful and didn’t make you feel like you should know all of this brand new information and drugs. The nurses you see daily however really could use a reminder that they are there to be apart of a beautiful experience. Very negative interactions. Horrible at drawing blood.
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
If you want the best doctor to get you a positive outcome he’s your doctor. If you’re looking for a bit more of handholding he’s not for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
I felt he was very “matter a fact “. Which did work for us. We didn’t need to be coddled. We knew what was wrong and we wanted the facts of how we were going to fix it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Feel like with how much you interact with the nurses this is where I thought patents would get more compassion. You see them daily. They should be more friendly. I can’t tell you how many blood draws I’d go in where the nurse smelt of fresh smoked cigarettes. It was disgusting yet here she is trying to draw blood. Also, they 100% need more training on how to actually draw blood. I left there covered in bruises every single time.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are hard to get ahold of. They primary nurse you speak to us good he was super helpful and didn’t make you feel like you should know all of this brand new information and drugs. The nurses you see daily however really could use a reminder that they are there to be apart of a beautiful experience. Very negative interactions. Horrible at drawing blood.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There was a lack of communication during our egg retrieval. No one informed us of over stimulation. They just kept saying the odds were so slim. However I ended up in the hospital for a week due to being overstimulated. Which resulted in cancelling the fresh transfer and waiting months to get a frozen transfer. I understand things happen. But I wish I had more support after this did happen also wish I had more information.
Isaac Glatstein
Lexington

We met with him [Dr. Toth] 3-4 times throughout our treatment...during the treatment process we most definitely felt like a number. We only heard from Dr. Toth when we made an appointment and visited the office. He never reached out in any other manner...And in a frustrating way he always reminded us that we were lucky to have one child and to focus on that fact as things progressed. We know we are lucky, but that didn't make it any easier to go through this process.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] provided very little information, usually without any context. For example one cycle we were unable to move forward with an IUI because of an "ovarian cyst", the nurse was unable to explain why it was a problem or what we should do about it. The location is Waltham is enormous, and very impersonal...Nicole [nurse] was wonderful to work with. She was easy to be in touch with and always advocating for us. We saw and heard from many nurses in addition to Nicole, for the most part they were good, however since we didn't see anyone regularly outside of Nicole it was mostly impersonal experiences.
How was your experience with Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Dr. Toth was warm and caring. He seemed engaged in our conversations and always wanted to know how we were doing and what was going on in our lives. However, we never heard from him unless we proactively made an appointment to see him in his office. While he was realistic about our chances of becoming pregnant, he never offered any guidance (like diet or lifestyle) outside of ambiguous medical information. And in a frustrating way he always reminded us that we were lucky to have one child and to focus on that fact as things progressed. We know we are lucky, but that didn't make it any easier to go through this process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Advocate for yourself. Make sure you have a way to hear from and contact Dr. Toth along the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Dr Toth was so warm and caring. We met with him 3-4 times throughout our treatment. However, during the treatment process we most definitely felt like a number. We only heard from Dr. Toth when we made an appointment and visited the office. He never reached out in any other manner. The nurses provided very little information, usually without any context. For example one cycle we were unable to move forward with an IUI because of an "ovarian cyst", the nurse was unable to explain why it was a problem or what we should do about it. The location is Waltham is enormous, and very impersonal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Nicole was wonderful to work with. She was easy to be in touch with and always advocating for us. We saw and heard from many nurses in addition to Nicole, for the most part they were good, however since we didn't see anyone regularly outside of Nicole it was mostly impersonal experiences.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF has done wonderful things for so many families. It's a huge facility/network with so many doctors and resources. However, it's very easy to feel like a number. The location in Waltham is huge and hard to navigate. It feels more like a factory than a doctor's office. It made us feel very uneasy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Toth at Boston IVF.
We were lucky that insurance covered a significant portion of our treatments.
Thomas Toth

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Brian Berger is a] Nice enough doctor, but hardly actually see him. The IUI procedures are even performed in another office, and are performed by staff from that office. Have had maybe 2 in person visits with him, and one or two phone consults...Of the numerous IUI cycles, only one egg fertilized, but it was a biochemical pregnancy, and what I thought was just a heavy period was apparently actually miscarrying at not even a full 4 weeks. I'm turning 43 in a matter of weeks and am super frustrated with the fact that after so much time, money, stress and tears, I still have no children.
A couple of times I wasn't called back with next step instructions [at Boston IVF] when I was supposed to be, despite my calling the office repeatedly, and both times that happened, it wound up being a canceled cycle. I still wonder if it is because they screwed up and I didn't get the instructions properly...Let's just say that, for the 7 or 8 IUI attempts we tried, I maxed out 3 credit cards...Theyre often very, very behind schedule. Have sat in the waiting room for over an hour before being called in. The woman who does the blood draws is absolutely fabulous, though. Im a tough draw, my veins like to roll away and hide, but she can always manage to get one to cooperate.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
You may get frustrated with the entire clinic.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some were great. One older woman does NOT belong working there. No empathy at all. I wish I'd written down her name to be more specific. Made an already heartbreaking day worse.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A couple of times I wasn't called back with next step instructions when I was supposed to be, despite my calling the office repeatedly, and both times that happened, it wound up being a canceled cycle. I still wonder if it is because they screwed up and I didn't get the instructions properly and threw off what should have happened w
South Shore
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles...he had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
Diagnostic testing [at Boston IVF] that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs)... I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring...it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Penzias seemed to be very knowledgeable and had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
For the first 75% of my cycle I was under the care of a rotating stream of nurses. I would get monitoring result and other related calls from a different person each day, and they were not always on the same page. Some of the nurses were very nice and some were curt. I'm not sure if this was sorted out and they now have 1 dedicated nurse for Dr Penzias, but the rotating care was frustrating since i had to re-explain a concern or re-ask a question constantly to different people.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles (he gave us the choice of IUI vs just timed relations each month - we did the latter due to our travel schedule) before we moved on to IVF. I was on standard Gonal F, ovidril, cetratide prior to egg retrieval and then progesterone in oil prior to embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
The latter reviews for primary nurse are specifically for Sara and Ashley. In the first portion of my time with Dr Penzias I was treated by a rotating schedule of nurses which was frustrating. But when Sara was working she was very attentive, compassionate, super responsive and helpful and then when Ashley took over she was also amazing.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Even though Boston IVF Waltham is a large center, it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there. If you can look past these administrative issues, I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Our insurance ended up covering our IVF cycle, but we were quoted about 15k for the cycle. Diagnostic testing that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs).
Waltham
Dr Luzzo appears knowledgeable but also to be going through the motions at times with not a lot of compassion or concern. At times, I felt like I had to advocate for myself and do my own research and then ask about things. She tended to talk fast and made me feel rushed.... I have had 3 IUIs. The first was with 50mg Clomid and the next two we bumped up to 100mg. I asked to use progesterone suppositories after the first IUI due to my short cycle length. I did OPK the first cycle. Then I missed my surge one month. The
One aspect which is frustrating is that sperm is stored at another office and you have to pick it up in the day of the IUI and bring it to this clinic [Boston IVF]. Also, the nurse who does the IUIs has been out a lot and in those situations, you speak to a nurse at the Boston office who are not very familiar with the Providence location. The office staff are very nice overall - the people who answer the phone, the phlebotomist, etc. the office is small and can feel crowded in the morning when you come for lab work.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to advocate and speak up
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
The initial appointment I felt very rushed and as though Dr. Luzzo was just giving a spiel she had given 1,000 with very little affect or interest. My two follow up appointments have been a little better - still not a lot of emotion and feeling a bit rushed along.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I have had 3 IUIs. The first was with 50mg Clomid and the next two we bumped up to 100mg. I asked to use progesterone suppositories after the first IUI due to my short cycle length. I did OPK the first cycle. Then I missed my surge one month. The next two IUIs I did blood test monitoring only to detect my surge. I am in the two week wait now after my third IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy has been responsive when I reach out but is not in the office very much. Also, she doesn’t always seem to remember my situation which can be frustrating. I have also had to remind her about calling in prescriptions and such for me. It has been a bit stressful at times.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
One aspect which is frustrating is that sperm is stored at another office and you have to pick it up in the day of the IUI and bring it to this clinic. Also, the nurse who does the IUIs has been out a lot and in those situations, you speak to a nurse at the Boston office who are not very familiar with the Providence location. The office staff are very nice overall - the people who answer the phone, the phlebotomist, etc. the office is small and can feel crowded in the morning when you come for lab work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Most was out of pocket IUI is about $450
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I have had issues with not getting results, office not communicating with another office that had to do my IUI when clinic nurse was out, as well as prescriptions not being called in and overall poor communication at times about treatment plan.
Kerri Luzzo
Providence

Overall my experience of him [Dr. Berger] is that he is conceited and too busy. When on the rare occasion we did get to see or speak to Dr Berger he seemed smug and smirked when you asked questions. My experience as a patient was that I was treated as a number. We had two failed IUI's and a miscarriage with our first IVF cycle and barely ever spoke to the actual doctor let alone see him. He has his nurses do everything...
During my 10 months under Dr Bergers [at Boston IVF] care we had something go wrong with every single appointment. From smaller things such as forgetting to book our appointments, calling and asking about procedures I didn't have, not remembering why I was in for certain appointments - to larger things like having me wait over an hour before an IUI transfer and not telling me why or that it was ok, nurses thinking I was doing a fresh transfer 5 minutes before surgery when we paid and signed for a freeze all PGS, cancelling appointments with the actual doctor 2 minutes after telling me I am miscarrying (just to name a FEW instances).
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Brian Berger was my first meeting about IVF. It took me 3 weeks to get an appointment to see him. During my initial IVF meeting, mixed with being new to it and Dr Berger putting on a show like he cared about me, I was excited to choose him as my doctor and get started on making a baby. Overall my experience of him is that he is conceited and too busy. When on the rare occasion we did get to see or speak to Dr Berger he seemed smug and smirked when you asked questions. My experience as a patient was that I was treated as a number. We had two failed IUI's and a miscarriage with our first IVF cycle and barely ever spoke to the actual doctor let alone see him. He has his nurses do everything. Which makes them seem overwhelmed and uninterested in patients as humans. During my 10 months under Dr Bergers care we had something go wrong with every single appointment. From smaller things such as forgetting to book our appointments, calling and asking about procedures I didn't have, not remembering why I was in for certain appointments - to larger things like having me wait over an hour before an IUI transfer and not telling me why or that it was ok, nurses thinking I was doing a fresh transfer 5 minutes before surgery when we paid and signed for a freeze all PGS, cancelling appointments with the actual doctor 2 minutes after telling me I am miscarrying (just to name a FEW instances).
Don't have high expectations
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Of the 10 months I was under Brian burgers care I saw him a total of three times. One of which was only because the nurse that I know there insisted that he see us. You are not allowed to talk to the doctor. During the 2 1/2 months that are pregnancy consisted of he canceled appointments that were previously set to talk with him. Different nurses called me all of the time and everyone contradicted each other. No one ever knew who I was or why they were calling me. Does anyone look at a chart there?
Before beginning any IVF treatments Berger ordered us do blood tests, semen analysis and hysterosalpingogram to see how my Fallopian tubes were. Blood test came back good and tubes were open. At our follow up he said my husband had low morphology and that there is nothing to help that. Suggested we do anywhere from 1 to 3 IUI's then IVF. We did two IUI's - first one failed second was a chemical pregnancy. There was nothing done after these. No additional testing. No uterine exams. We proceeded with IVF cycle which we did egg retrieval process, freeze all with Pre genetic screening, and implant. Dr Berger used estrogen pills and patches as well as progesterone in oil and crinone. My lining was a problem as it wasn't getting thick enough but Berger never increased my dosage or checked my uterus. Just eventually said it was layered enough but never reached 8mm. After an abnormal pregnancy and miscarriage at 8 1/2 weeks my HCG levels were going down very slow - only thing done here was blood tests. I found out after I left Boston IVF that there was fluid in my lining. That was never brought to my attention at Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The only reason I kept my sanity with the nurses at Boston IVF was because I knew Dr Bergers nursing assistant and could text or call her with all my questions when they went unanswered. Other people wouldn't be that lucky. The nursing staff is young and they have high turnover. There were different nurses calling all of the time from Quincy and Waltham. They get agitated with questions and ALL of them contradict what the other says and what the Doctor says. When they call it's as if they don't even bother to open your file beforehand. They call and ask about procedures you didn't have, they call with results and don't even know why you were in for that appointment, they misplace documents, they forget to make your appointments and they lack compassion in every sense.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: they call when they say they will Weaknesses: take time to get insurance approval, takes weeks for an appointment with the doctor if THEY decide you can even have one, unorganized, lack compassion, contradict each other, it's run like a factory.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Covered by insurance. Insurance approvals took a while. They didn't willingly offer information if it required you to pay out of pocket. I think all options should be presented and the patient should decide if they want to pay for it or not
The doctor made it known that he doesn't promote multiple embryo transfer as there are risks involved. One of the NP's also have us a lecture on why not to do multiple embryo transfer. When we were approved by insurance for single embryo transfer I asked the financial coordinator if it doesn't work can we implant 2 next time - she said no. I then asked if my husband and I were willing to pay for a second embryo to be implanted could we do that and the financial coordinator said no. After our single embryo miscarriage I found out this was not true. We are absolutely entitled to pay out of pocket for embryo transfers.
Boston

During our first cycle [at Boston IVF], the financial coordinator left our paperwork on the fax machine (which was supposed to be sent to the insurance company for approval) and she left for vacation for 2 weeks, so it pushed our whole cycle back a few weeks and it kept me on birth control for way longer than I should have been. I had two nurses call with two different timelines to kick off the first cycle with conflicting recommendations. When I addressed it and asked which one I should go with, one nurse criticized the other nurse's plan.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Steven Bayer was great in the beginning with the game plan and giving us lots of hope in the treatment plan. After that point, we did not speak with him, see him or work with him until he called us with negative results. During our follow up meeting he did not seem hopeful or committed to finding the right solution.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Go to another clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Boston IVF felt like a factory, where my husband and I were just a number. Dr. Bayer did his best in the beginning to give us hope and lay out the game plan, but the first cycle was very disorganized (mainly with the financial coordinator and nurse instructions) and we did not talk to Dr. Bayer at all during the process until he called to tell us both cycles failed. Our last follow up appt with Dr. Bayer was very discouraging and he did not give us any hope.
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Birth control (which backfired), injections and a healthy lifestyle. Birth control to suppress the ovaries. Injections to stimulate follicle growth. A healthy lifestyle to give us the best possible chance.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were good at answering my questions when I had them, but in general, it felt a bit disorganized because there were several nurses on staff so I didn't feel anyone, in particular, was really monitoring my progress or had a handle on my treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
**to clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing a standard IVF process** Strengths: good reputation, big facility with local offices (e.g. they had an office in Quincy which was convenient for us for blood and ultra-sounds) and I loved their acupuncture team in the Domar center. Weaknesses: because Boston IVF is so massive, as a patient I felt like a number being funneled through a factory. No one really seemed to "own" us. Stephen Bayer was very disconnected from our process and my last follow up meeting with him to discuss our failed cycle was awful, not helpful/hopeful and he basically walked me out hysterically crying. I left feeling like a failure with no clear game plan, so my husband and I decided it was time to work with a new facility and team of doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Fortunately, our insurance covers up to 6 rounds of IVF and genetic testing due to my husband's translocation, so we only had to pay co-pays most of the time.
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Unfortunately, we didn't make it to this stage during either IVF cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. During our first cycle, the financial coordinator left our paperwork on the fax machine (which was supposed to be sent to the insurance company for approval) and she left for vacation for 2 weeks, so it pushed our whole cycle back a few weeks and it kept me on birth control for way longer than I should have been. I had two nurses call with two different timelines to kick off the first cycle with conflicting recommendations. When I addressed it and asked which one I should go with, one nurse criticized the other nurse's plan.
Steven Bayer
Boston

Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider.... I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff...Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus.
[Boston IVF] Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning...Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: . Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider. I do not feel as though the IVF treatment was tailored to my husband and I's specific fertility challenges. I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff. We had a Day 3 fresh transfer in round 2 without prior understanding of this strategy being utilized. The Day 3 fresh transfer felt like a financial decision to ensure complete billing of the cycle rather than a decision that would result in a successful pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Consider a second opinion.
During my cycles I only had contact with the nursing staff, despite a change protocols the drugs ordered were incorrect, we did a day 3 embryo transfer on cycle 2 despite prior poor embryo survival in the first round.
Bicornuate uterus requiring single embryo transfer. Cycle 1 started on 06-Jul-2017: OCP/Antagonist - birth control, 375 Gonal F + 75 Menopur, cetrotide, ovidrel. Crinone vaginal progesterone. Resulted in retrieval of 9 eggs, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 3 embryos made it to Day 3, 2 embryos made it to Day 5. Fresh transfer of 1 embryo at Day 5. Acupuncture twice after embryo transfer. Remaining embryo did not survive for freezing. Menstruation occurred 4-5 days after transfer. Negative pregnancy test. Cycle 2 started on 08-Oct-2017: OCP/Microdose Lupron - birth control, microdose Lupron 10 IU (am & pm), 475 IU Gonal F, 75 IU menopur, Ovidrel. Resulted in retrieval of 12 eggs (10 mature). Intramuscular progesterone injections twice a day. Two eggs fertilized (ICSI) with fresh transfer at Day 3 of one embryo. Second embryo was necrotic at Day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Merchant)
After completing the birth control for cycle 1 the nurse informed me that we would not be abel to proceed with the cycle because my husband had not completed the Counsyl screening. At no point had this testing been communicated as a contingency for proceeding with the cycle. I asked to speak with the Dr. Penzias but received a call from the nursing manager explaining that Amanda had mistakenly not given me the correct information regarding the completion of the Counsyl testing being a requirement. The nursing manager gave me the option to either waive my husband's testing or to have the testing done as soon as possible while the IVF cycle continued. After my embryo transfer I was not told to schedule a follow-up visit with Dr. Penzias which resulted in my not being able to proceed to the next cycle until an additional month had passed. Before cycle 2 I shared my concerns with Dr. Penzias that Amanda seemed to be disorganized and the communication was not ideal. I met with Amanda to discuss the next cycle and I asked her whether I was able to combine the drugs for the second cycle and if it was possible for me to utilize any drugs I had left over from the previous cycle. Amanda indicated that she did not know and referred me to the pharmacy. The pharmacy stated that my clinic should provide a response about mixing of medications. The second cycle started with my receiving Cetrotide despite this medication being removed from my protocol. It was confirmed that the error was in the orders coming from Dr. Penzias' office. For both cycles I was given the incorrect time for my embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning which is convenient for testing before work. Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: You never see the same surgeon or embryologist. Contact with your doctor is extremely limited. Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
$1200 for the first cycle including preliminary testing. I have not yet been billed for the second cycle.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Utilized single embryo transfer due to bicornuate uterus making multiple pregnancy a risk to my health.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus. For both cycles I was given the incorrect appointment time for my embryo transfer. The first time I was told to arrive at 7:30 but the appointment wasn't until 9 am. The second time I was told to arrive at 8:30 but the appointment wasn't scheduled until 10:45. I received the inappropriate medications for cycle 2. For cycle 2 I was not given my pregnancy test results until almost 5 days after the test.

2013 - 2017, Unknown Success
Although he [Dr. Brian Berger] wasn't the most assessable person comma when I did schedule appointments, whether by phone or in person, he took an incredible amount of time to answer my questions in detail. One of the things I loved about him is his bedside manner. The compassion he showed always put me at ease no matter what I was asking or the difficulty of the explanation. I wish I could say the same for his staff which I thought should be completely replaced they're so bad! This mainly applies to the extended staff at the Waltham Clinic. Other than the lab staff, and the wonderful woman at the front desk, the rest really didn't have a clue about my treatment plan and consistently gave me wrong directions. I had to take my treatment and my knowledge of the process sees into my own hands time and time again.
After I had arranged for a known donor for sperm, Sharon [at Boston IVF] left me a terrible message that broke my heart. I played the message 5 times because it was so confusing. She told me that my donor was approved and that we could move forward with the process. Then in the second breath, she said that the donor was not approved by the FDA because he's gay and lives in a European country where they have mad cow disease. So I wasn't sure what to think and was panicked because I had just flown this man over and paid for all of his testing. I felt like the information she shared with me should have been provided in advance of all of the expenditures. When I called her to ask for an explanation, it was inadequate and she didn't understand in the least what a confusing and upsetting situation she created. I immediately asked her to be removed from my care team.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
By all means, Dr. Brian Berger is one of the leading infertility practitioners out there. I was thrilled that he took on my complicated case as a single woman who went through early menopause and would need to use both donor egg and donor sperm in order to have a child. Although he wasn't the most assessable person comma when I did schedule appointments, whether by phone or in person, he took an incredible amount of time to answer my questions in detail. One of the things I loved about him is his bedside manner. The compassion he showed always put me at ease no matter what I was asking or the difficulty of the explanation. I wish I could say the same for his staff which I thought should be completely replaced they're so bad! This mainly applies to the extended staff at the Waltham Clinic. Other than the lab staff, and the wonderful woman at the front desk, the rest really didn't have a clue about my treatment plan and consistently gave me wrong directions. I had to take my treatment and my knowledge of the process sees into my own hands time and time again.
Be prepared to spend more than you budgeted! Boston IVF is terrible at giving accurate numbers on ehat you'll spend and I am now double what I had budgeted. But with 9 frozen, high quality embryos, I have to keep going.
I can't count how many times the nursing staff and donor staff gave me inaccurate directions based on premenopausal women. Things like "let us know when your next period is" so we can move to the next step in the process, when I haven't had a period in over 4 years. It made it feel incredibly impersonal.
After many rounds of IUI with another doctor, I went through early menopause and needed to consider other options. From the first time I met with Dr. Berger, he laid out the options and consistently worked with me to choose the best one for my situation. My diagnosis with pre ovarian failure and donor egg donor sperm with a fresh transfer is what we did the first time around. I have nine Frozen embryos and dr. Berger will be doing my next transfer next week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
After I had arranged for a known donor for sperm, Sharon left me a terrible message that broke my heart. I played the message 5 times because it was so confusing. She told me that my donor was approved and that we could move forward with the process. Then in the second breath, she said that the donor was not approved by the FDA because he's gay and lives in a European country where they have mad cow disease. So I wasn't sure what to think and was panicked because I had just flown this man over and paid for all of his testing. I felt like the information she shared with me should have been provided in advance of all of the expenditures. When I called her to ask for an explanation, it was inadequate and she didn't understand in the least what a confusing and upsetting situation she created. I immediately asked her to be removed from my care team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Most of my testing was done at Waltham IVF. For the most part, the testing is readily available and at convenient times. All blood tests are done in the morning and unfortunately, the clinic is located in a place where rush hour traffic impacts the ability to get there on any weekday. Not only did I have to go in every 3 days for pregnancy tests, but when my pregnancy didn't work out I had to keep going back for HCG tests. So every morning this took hours out of my day. I finally asked if there was any way that I could get a simple blood test at my local doctors office or anywhere else. Again, I had to manage my own care and ask to use Quest Diagnostics for my blood test. It ended up that there is an office one block from my house and I could have saved so much time by going there in the first place. Another time, I was told by my donor coordinator to "come in for labs." So when I got there and signed in, I wasn't sure which box to check for testing. I wasn't sure if it was blood, ultrasound, ETC. So every time somebody came out and saw my name on the list with no check box, they ignored me. I sat there for an hour with no one checking the records to see what kind of test I needed. It was woefully inadequate and completely unprofessional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
When I made the decision to move ahead with treatment, I told Dr. Berger that my goals were to spend $25,000 and to attempt the process three to four times. At this point, it has cost me twice as much and I've only gone through a fresh transfer one time with a pending frozen transfer scheduled for next week. No one at the clinic seem to be able to give me an accurate breakdown of costs at any point during my treatment even though I asked for it. And the information they provided was not laid out in a sensible way and did not take into consideration unique circumstances. My donor egg process was the part that was so much more expensive than I ever could have imagined. Boston IVF never gave me a realistic expectation of this additional cost .
As a single woman, the clinic I highly encourage me to only transfer one at a time for "social" reasons. They actually asked me what I would do with two children! It was offensive. In addition, when I asked about increased chances of having one child by transferring two embryos, they couldn't give me any statistics. This may be true of any doctor and not just Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I've already mentioned the impersonal care and specific mistakes I felt like the clinic made. One of my biggest issues is that I never knew who was in charge of my care and which office to call. One time I got transferred 4 times back and forth between Waltham and South Shore. It was incredibly frustrating. Also, no one could give me an explanation about what to expect for my HCG numbers to reset to normal. I found the staff to be very limited in their knowledge, or if not limited in their knowledge, Limited in their willingness to explain the situation with any depth. Just know that you are going to have to really take control of your own care if you go to Boston IVF. Every interaction I had with dr. Berger was amazing, but love the majority of interactions I had with his staff were unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, my fertility acupuncturist tells me that this is the case with all of the clinics in the Boston area. Very poor customer service for the high price of treatment.

2013 - 2016, Successful
Just make sure you consider factors besides bedside manner. He [Dr David Ryley] was very friendly and we connected on a personal level but ultimately we were not that happy with our experience at the clinic...Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they [staff at Boston IVF] had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
Just make sure you consider factors besides bedside manner. He was very friendly and we connected on a personal level but ultimately we were not that happy with our experience at the clinic.
He has a very good bedside manner. Almost too good - I think he was overly optimistic about our chances of success on multiple occasions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi or Susan depending on the cycle)
We were frustrated on multiple occasions at the lack of coordination and organization on the part of the nursing and administrative staff. Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
We were very concerned by a couple incidents. First, they had a typo that led them to miscount the number of vials of sperm we had used. This raised a number of red flags for us, as the only reason we have confidence that the baby inside us is in fact our own is our level of confidence in their data management system. Second, the insurance coordinator forgot to call us after getting approval for one cycle. I had to call her and she claimed she had called me several days previous because she "always did."
I had insurance
Boston

Dr. Zimon was inaccessible and I felt like I was scared and frustrated that I didn't know why they were growing so slowly and no one talked with me about it....Dr. Zimon spent over a year getting to know me and guiding the process of IUIs and IVF....Dr. Zimon will meet you at your level but she doesn't exceed expectations. If you show her you're working hard to understand your infertility, then she will match you on that. Unfortunately, she doesn't go above and beyond to understand your unexplained infertility.
The clinic struggled with many administrative tasks....Boston IVF has any doctor on any given day do any procedure even if your doctor is managing the case...[nursing staff] Incorrect information conveyed, inability to count cycle days, inability to really know what they were doing...During my IUIs, one time the stirrup moved A LOT and I felt that this impacted the administration of frozen donor sperm. The clinician did not listen to me as I was telling her the stirrup was moving too much. I felt extraordinary pain afterwards. I expressed upset/concern to staff.
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Zimon was extremely personable, but when it came to certain things, she didn't have much faith in me. For example, after working with her for a year scheduling and doing natural IUIs, when she challenged me to decrease my BMI to a certain number so I could do IVF, she exclaimed she didn't think I'd do it - after I lost all the weight she required. It was disheartening. She is a compassionate doctor, and very much interested in seeing you do well, but there was always something off about her care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Zimon will meet you at your level but she doesn't exceed expectations. If you show her you're working hard to understand your infertility, then she will match you on that. Unfortunately, she doesn't go above and beyond to understand your unexplained infertility. She assumes it might be an age issue, AMH issue, but she doesn't really try to find out if there's something wrong with immunology or other things that could explain it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Zimon spent over a year getting to know me and guiding the process of IUIs and IVF. She strongly advocated for me with IVF failed. It failed partially due to human error, because the doctor assigned to do the retrieval only spent 5 minutes trying to retrieve the egg on the left ovary and gave up trying after 5 minutes. That was Dr. Alper doing the retrieval (Boston IVF has any doctor on any given day do any procedure even if your doctor is managing the case). Dr. Alper didn't know my case or how hard I worked to losing 60 lbs prior to egg retrieval. He didn't know how hard I worked for over a year and a half leading up to IVF. So this is partially a negative report on him as much as it is a positive report on Dr. Zimon. My left ovary had the most mature follicles, but the doctor didn't retrieve them. Regardless, the doctor retrieved the right ovary follicles and even though I was 43, the immature follicle fertilized and became a 4b embryo on day 3. When my insurance refused to cover IVF a second time because I was just about to turn 44 (maybe 3 weeks shy of my 44th birthday), Dr. Zimon advocated that I had lost 60 lbs, and her colleague didn't obtain the mature follicle for my first IVF. Unfortunately, just after this, Dr. Zimon left Boston IVF and I was without any way to move forward with appeals. The whole thing ruined my life because now I can't have my own kids. I gave Boston IVF way too much time to get through the 6 IUIs to finally get to IVF. My fertility numbers got worse over the year and they should have strongly advocated at the very beginning to start with IVF rather than waste time with 6 IUIs.
Describe the protocols Alison Zimon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My first and only IVF was estrogen priming micro dose lupron flare. I was stimming a bit longer than expected, the follicles were growing slowly. Dr. Zimon was inaccessible and I felt like I was scared and frustrated that I didn't know why they were growing so slowly and no one talked with me about it. In the end, there were some beautiful follicles on my left ovary, and the best was unable to be retrieved due to the other doctor on the case (Dr. Michael Alper), spending literally only five minutes and failing to retrieve the best follicle on my left ovary!! He did not even try to get it, didn't seem to realize this was the most important thing in my life -- that 5 minutes was not enough time to spend getting it. The right ovary had the more immature follicle, so it was retrieved, miraculously fertilized, resulting in negative pregnancy test for my only IVF cycle ever. HOW AWFUL!!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: all of them at Boston IVF)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
During my IUIs, one time the stirrup moved A LOT and I felt that this impacted the administration of frozen donor sperm. The clinician did not listen to me as I was telling her the stirrup was moving too much. I felt extraordinary pain afterwards. I expressed upset/concern to staff. I was called by a head nurse or ombudsperson and expressed my concern. Absolutely NOTHING was done about this and they denied that this was ever an issue. I was so upset at the entire community of staff that denied it was a problem and their insistence that this was a successful IUI. How could they deny it? Surely, they didn't care about patient safety or adequate procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
IUIs not covered ($450 each), IVF was covered by my insurance. I paid for frozen donor sperm.
Describe Alison Zimon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The clinic struggled with many administrative tasks. They let me know my prolactin levels were elevated, but they actually were not. They provided low quality information, incorrect information, misinformation.
Alison Zimon

2012 - 2016, Successful
He [Dr. Samuel Pang] is all business. He is an excellent doctor but not warm and fuzzy. Very uptight and by the books. He knows his stuff but he wouldn't be who I would call if I needed something explained. I did not see him every appointment and I was ok with that. Sometimes I felt like he was a bit judgmental. He didn't perform my transfers and again I was ok with that.
Strengths.....organized, clean, staff, worked with my local RE. Weakness.....a hospital setting - not warm, fiscal people suck, it was far for me, a lot of changes since they became part of Boston IVF....I loved Alicia [a nurse at IVF New England] and she left the clinic. I then had Paula and she was ok. Attentive etc but sometimes a scatter brain. I LOVED my coordinator....Linda Hillis. She was instrumental in me getting through the process and getting pregnant. She helped with donors and made sure that I received the best care possible.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
He is all business. He is an excellent doctor but not warm and fuzzy. Very uptight and by the books. He knows his stuff but he wouldn't be who I would call if I needed something explained. I did not see him every appointment and I was ok with that. Sometimes I felt like he was a bit judgmental. He didn't perform my transfers and again I was ok with that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
If you are looking for warm and fuzzy....this is not the doctor for you. If you are looking for a good doctor with an amazing coordinator....go for it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
I felt like a human with some and number with others. I ended up being at the clinic for so long that I got to know many of the staff. I LOVED my coordinator. Dr. Pang is all business.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pang used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don't even know. Lupron, estrogen (all forms), PIO. I had a lot of stupid things happen. Eggs didn't thaw.....lining issues.....crappy embryos......My last cycle the book was thrown at me. Lupron, estrogen (all forms), Deletrogen shots, PIO.....it finally worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Alicia and then Paula Duan (I think))
I loved Alicia and she left the clinic. I then had Paula and she was ok. Attentive etc but sometimes a scatter brain. I LOVED my coordinator....Linda Hillis. She was instrumental in me getting through the process and getting pregnant. She helped with donors and made sure that I received the best care possible.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pang at Boston IVF.
$35,500 plus meds (most covered by insurance)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Not necessarily....I had lots of things go wrong. One major issue was that after my first cycle failed, I had to pay for another cycle even though the clinic had adopted a guarantee program. It was complete crap because I would have qualified for the guarantee. They cancelled a cycle due to no eggs thawed and they were that clinic's eggs. I was not reimbursed for meds or anything even though it was a clinic error. I had another cancelled cycle due to lining issues and they tried to charge me for cancelling....needless to say that did not go over well but I didn't have to pay the fee. The fiscal department sucks.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I had a positive experience with Dr. Sneeringer. I felt she listened and gave thorough explanations for both procedures and the reasoning behind it. She was compassionate and supportive. Ultimately though, I interacted with her nurses on a more daily basis. I would see Dr. Sneeringer to follow up and go over results, but my day to day treatment (injections, monitoring, etc) were done by the support staff... I wasn't getting (or perhaps just wasn't understanding) the information about the protocols.
The people at the clinic [Boston IVF], because they do this every day, would talk about procedures or results like I should already know what they were talking about. A lot of times, though, I didn't, which was very frustrating...I was not crazy about my experience with [Nurse] Carol. I felt she was very scattered and rushed, and I never really understood what was coming next. I asked a lot of questions and I started to feel like she thought I was taking up too much of her time.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
To really make sure that you are comfortable with the support staff, since that's who you'll be interacting with on a regular basis.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
The first cycle was the hardest, because I felt like I didn't understand exactly what was going on. The people at the clinic, because they do this every day, would talk about procedures or results like I should already know what they were talking about. A lot of times, though, I didn't, which was very frustrating.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics of my protocols. I went through one IUI and three unsuccessful cycles of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: They were two- Meg and Carol)
I was not crazy about my experience with Carol. I felt she was very scattered and rushed, and I never really understood what was coming next. I asked a lot of questions and I started to feel like she thought I was taking up too much of her time. I do want to add that those feelings were from my first cycle, which was all new and very overwhelming. I did two more cycles after that and had a much better experience with her. I don't know if that was because she improved or because I already had a basic idea of what to expect, or both.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The front desk staff are great, as are the phlebotomists and the ultrasound techs- these are the people that you see on a regular basis. The hours of the clinic were good- during the monitoring period I could have my blood and ultrasounds done starting at 6am so I didn't have to miss work, which was VERY helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
I was very fortunate that our insurance covered almost everything but the genetic testing, which I believe was around $2000.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We chose to transfer one embryo at a time, as my husband was terrified of multiples. Our egg harvesting was not great, so after genetic testing we generally only had one viable embryo anyway.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Nothing specific- it was mainly feeling like I wasn't getting (or perhaps just wasn't understanding) the information about the protocols.
Rita Sneeringer
2013 - 2016, Successful
He [Dr Samuel Pang] is good at treating and identifying "unexplained infertility" which is what I first had before going to him. So far I have produced one child in his care and am currently in the process of working on another one!...While he is good, we also never are able to get him on the phone directly and only speak to the nurses during treatment. The nurses bedside manner is about 50/50
He [Dr Samuel Pang] is a director [at IVF New England] and very knowledgeable. He understands your situation and advises treatment well. He is not the most personable person but as long as I get good results and I understand my treatment, that is what matters most....Some appointments can be quick in and out and some may require a long wait if they have a full waiting room. Doctors sometimes get real busy and get overbooked.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
He is a director and very knowledgeable. He understands your situation and advises treatment well. He is not the most personable person but as long as I get good results and I understand my treatment, that is what matters most. He is good at treating and identifying "unexplained infertility" which is what I first had before going to him. So far I have produced one child in his care and am currently in the process of working on another one!
Do not wait too long before getting results and if after a couple of years if you are still unhappy, get a second opinion. Dr Pang was my second opinion after which I finally was able to have kids. I spent too much timegoing through senseless procedures with another doctor that would've never produced me any kids.
I felt in the middle. While he is good, we also never are able to get him on the phone directly and only speak to the nurses during treatment. The nurses bedside manner is about 50/50
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ann Moegle)
They always got back to you same day with instructions and procedures. Though I noticed when you specifically need or want something like a scheduling thing, they would not go out of their way for you unfortunately. You have to abide by their schedule and their rules ofr retrievals and transfers and results. One time I was having major anxiety and would not stop crying at work. I wanted to find out my pregnancy results sooner on a weekend if possible and they would not do that for me because they said their rooms get too swamped when they allow blood tests on weekends. I had been a patient there for a long time and would've appreciated some additional assistance but they would not budge.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pang at Boston IVF.
Expensive, indusrance did not cover much
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
One time the nurses forgot to order my prescription meds but luckily it wasnt crunch time and I had time to get them ordered and delivered.
2014 - 2015, Successful
I also appreciate that she [Dr. Wright] didn't support me trying IVF with my own eggs because of my DOR [Diminished Ovarian Reserve]. but there were a lot of big bumps along the way. First of all, she didn't give me enough information about possible outcomes and options before taking the Clomid Challenge...
No doctors from IVF New England were available and I found out (while my feet were in stirrups waiting for the transfer) that I was getting a substitute doctor from Harvard Pilgrim. No one thought to tell me this could happen or reassure me. I had researched all the IVF New England doctors (they were RSC before a merger) and felt comfortable with them all and they send in a substitute at my most critical appointment with no warning or explanation. It was my fresh transfer and ended in a BFN.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Again she was nice and I am confident she knew what she was doing and had the knowledge to help me get pregnant. I also appreciate that she didn't support me trying IVF with my own eggs because of my DOR. That would have been a waste of time and money. All of the support/information I got was from an online group for donor eggs called PVED. I got hardly any information from Dr. Wright. She basically prescribed the medications for IVF and oversaw my cycle. My case was not complicated, no other diagnosis beyond DOR and I had already had a child naturally with my own eggs. Dr. Wright did not do either of my transfers and I did not communicate with her much during my cycles. I mostly talked to my nurse.
Ask lots of questions. Ask who will be doing your transfers and if they use substitute doctors from other practices. She was never rude or mean, but definitely not very emotional. She will get the job done, but don't expect a big hug or anything.
She was nice and in the end, helped me get pregnant, but there were a lot of big bumps along the way. First of all, she didn't give me enough information about possible outcomes and options before taking the Clomid Challenge. Then, she called me and gave me the results (DOR) over the phone and said I would need to use donor eggs. Nothing was explained, no follow-up appointment was made, just a blunt diagnoses with no information or support. That is not information that should be given over the phone. Then, on the day of my transfer, no doctors from IVF New England were available and I found out (while my feet were in stirrups waiting for the transfer) that I was getting a substitute doctor from Harvard Pilgrim. No one thought to tell me this could happen or reassure me. I had researched all the IVF New England doctors (they were RSC before a merger) and felt comfortable with them all and they send in a substitute at my most critical appointment with no warning or explanation. It was my fresh transfer and ended in a BFN.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Anne)
The nurses were kind and 90% on top of things. Once they made a mistake (which I luckily caught) and almost made me stop taking Lupron too soon. Overall, I felt like I was in good hands.
2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Alper was very candid with the low chance of success of our initial treatment. He was also didn't push us toward the most invasive treatment for the first round. However, once we made the decision to move forward, it felt like we weren't his patients anymore and instead deposited on some sort of infertility procedure conveyor belt...Ask him to walk you through the process and his role once you make the decision to move forward. He was great at explaining the medical procedures and what they mean, but didn't tell us that the nurses basically did everything.
The place [Boston IVF] is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr. Alper did a fantastic job when we were in the appointments explaining the tests, what our diagnosis meant and not rushing us to make a decision.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Clomid IUI
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
When we went to our initial appointment, we met the nurse who worked with Dr. Alper. However, in the months that followed, we were passed from nurse to nurse. I would call and leave a message, but a different nurse would call me back.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The place is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
None-Insurance covered the treadment
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Information was conveyed in my description of the clinic.
Michael Alper