Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider.... I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff...Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus.
[Boston IVF] Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning...Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: . Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider. I do not feel as though the IVF treatment was tailored to my husband and I's specific fertility challenges. I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff. We had a Day 3 fresh transfer in round 2 without prior understanding of this strategy being utilized. The Day 3 fresh transfer felt like a financial decision to ensure complete billing of the cycle rather than a decision that would result in a successful pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Consider a second opinion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
During my cycles I only had contact with the nursing staff, despite a change protocols the drugs ordered were incorrect, we did a day 3 embryo transfer on cycle 2 despite prior poor embryo survival in the first round.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Bicornuate uterus requiring single embryo transfer. Cycle 1 started on 06-Jul-2017: OCP/Antagonist - birth control, 375 Gonal F + 75 Menopur, cetrotide, ovidrel. Crinone vaginal progesterone. Resulted in retrieval of 9 eggs, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 3 embryos made it to Day 3, 2 embryos made it to Day 5. Fresh transfer of 1 embryo at Day 5. Acupuncture twice after embryo transfer. Remaining embryo did not survive for freezing. Menstruation occurred 4-5 days after transfer. Negative pregnancy test. Cycle 2 started on 08-Oct-2017: OCP/Microdose Lupron - birth control, microdose Lupron 10 IU (am & pm), 475 IU Gonal F, 75 IU menopur, Ovidrel. Resulted in retrieval of 12 eggs (10 mature). Intramuscular progesterone injections twice a day. Two eggs fertilized (ICSI) with fresh transfer at Day 3 of one embryo. Second embryo was necrotic at Day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Merchant)
After completing the birth control for cycle 1 the nurse informed me that we would not be abel to proceed with the cycle because my husband had not completed the Counsyl screening. At no point had this testing been communicated as a contingency for proceeding with the cycle. I asked to speak with the Dr. Penzias but received a call from the nursing manager explaining that Amanda had mistakenly not given me the correct information regarding the completion of the Counsyl testing being a requirement. The nursing manager gave me the option to either waive my husband's testing or to have the testing done as soon as possible while the IVF cycle continued. After my embryo transfer I was not told to schedule a follow-up visit with Dr. Penzias which resulted in my not being able to proceed to the next cycle until an additional month had passed. Before cycle 2 I shared my concerns with Dr. Penzias that Amanda seemed to be disorganized and the communication was not ideal. I met with Amanda to discuss the next cycle and I asked her whether I was able to combine the drugs for the second cycle and if it was possible for me to utilize any drugs I had left over from the previous cycle. Amanda indicated that she did not know and referred me to the pharmacy. The pharmacy stated that my clinic should provide a response about mixing of medications. The second cycle started with my receiving Cetrotide despite this medication being removed from my protocol. It was confirmed that the error was in the orders coming from Dr. Penzias' office. For both cycles I was given the incorrect time for my embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning which is convenient for testing before work. Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: You never see the same surgeon or embryologist. Contact with your doctor is extremely limited. Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
$1200 for the first cycle including preliminary testing. I have not yet been billed for the second cycle.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Utilized single embryo transfer due to bicornuate uterus making multiple pregnancy a risk to my health.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus. For both cycles I was given the incorrect appointment time for my embryo transfer. The first time I was told to arrive at 7:30 but the appointment wasn't until 9 am. The second time I was told to arrive at 8:30 but the appointment wasn't scheduled until 10:45. I received the inappropriate medications for cycle 2. For cycle 2 I was not given my pregnancy test results until almost 5 days after the test.

2013 - 2017, Unknown Success
Although he [Dr. Brian Berger] wasn't the most assessable person comma when I did schedule appointments, whether by phone or in person, he took an incredible amount of time to answer my questions in detail. One of the things I loved about him is his bedside manner. The compassion he showed always put me at ease no matter what I was asking or the difficulty of the explanation. I wish I could say the same for his staff which I thought should be completely replaced they're so bad! This mainly applies to the extended staff at the Waltham Clinic. Other than the lab staff, and the wonderful woman at the front desk, the rest really didn't have a clue about my treatment plan and consistently gave me wrong directions. I had to take my treatment and my knowledge of the process sees into my own hands time and time again.
After I had arranged for a known donor for sperm, Sharon [at Boston IVF] left me a terrible message that broke my heart. I played the message 5 times because it was so confusing. She told me that my donor was approved and that we could move forward with the process. Then in the second breath, she said that the donor was not approved by the FDA because he's gay and lives in a European country where they have mad cow disease. So I wasn't sure what to think and was panicked because I had just flown this man over and paid for all of his testing. I felt like the information she shared with me should have been provided in advance of all of the expenditures. When I called her to ask for an explanation, it was inadequate and she didn't understand in the least what a confusing and upsetting situation she created. I immediately asked her to be removed from my care team.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
By all means, Dr. Brian Berger is one of the leading infertility practitioners out there. I was thrilled that he took on my complicated case as a single woman who went through early menopause and would need to use both donor egg and donor sperm in order to have a child. Although he wasn't the most assessable person comma when I did schedule appointments, whether by phone or in person, he took an incredible amount of time to answer my questions in detail. One of the things I loved about him is his bedside manner. The compassion he showed always put me at ease no matter what I was asking or the difficulty of the explanation. I wish I could say the same for his staff which I thought should be completely replaced they're so bad! This mainly applies to the extended staff at the Waltham Clinic. Other than the lab staff, and the wonderful woman at the front desk, the rest really didn't have a clue about my treatment plan and consistently gave me wrong directions. I had to take my treatment and my knowledge of the process sees into my own hands time and time again.
Be prepared to spend more than you budgeted! Boston IVF is terrible at giving accurate numbers on ehat you'll spend and I am now double what I had budgeted. But with 9 frozen, high quality embryos, I have to keep going.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I can't count how many times the nursing staff and donor staff gave me inaccurate directions based on premenopausal women. Things like "let us know when your next period is" so we can move to the next step in the process, when I haven't had a period in over 4 years. It made it feel incredibly impersonal.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
After many rounds of IUI with another doctor, I went through early menopause and needed to consider other options. From the first time I met with Dr. Berger, he laid out the options and consistently worked with me to choose the best one for my situation. My diagnosis with pre ovarian failure and donor egg donor sperm with a fresh transfer is what we did the first time around. I have nine Frozen embryos and dr. Berger will be doing my next transfer next week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
After I had arranged for a known donor for sperm, Sharon left me a terrible message that broke my heart. I played the message 5 times because it was so confusing. She told me that my donor was approved and that we could move forward with the process. Then in the second breath, she said that the donor was not approved by the FDA because he's gay and lives in a European country where they have mad cow disease. So I wasn't sure what to think and was panicked because I had just flown this man over and paid for all of his testing. I felt like the information she shared with me should have been provided in advance of all of the expenditures. When I called her to ask for an explanation, it was inadequate and she didn't understand in the least what a confusing and upsetting situation she created. I immediately asked her to be removed from my care team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Most of my testing was done at Waltham IVF. For the most part, the testing is readily available and at convenient times. All blood tests are done in the morning and unfortunately, the clinic is located in a place where rush hour traffic impacts the ability to get there on any weekday. Not only did I have to go in every 3 days for pregnancy tests, but when my pregnancy didn't work out I had to keep going back for HCG tests. So every morning this took hours out of my day. I finally asked if there was any way that I could get a simple blood test at my local doctors office or anywhere else. Again, I had to manage my own care and ask to use Quest Diagnostics for my blood test. It ended up that there is an office one block from my house and I could have saved so much time by going there in the first place. Another time, I was told by my donor coordinator to "come in for labs." So when I got there and signed in, I wasn't sure which box to check for testing. I wasn't sure if it was blood, ultrasound, ETC. So every time somebody came out and saw my name on the list with no check box, they ignored me. I sat there for an hour with no one checking the records to see what kind of test I needed. It was woefully inadequate and completely unprofessional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
When I made the decision to move ahead with treatment, I told Dr. Berger that my goals were to spend $25,000 and to attempt the process three to four times. At this point, it has cost me twice as much and I've only gone through a fresh transfer one time with a pending frozen transfer scheduled for next week. No one at the clinic seem to be able to give me an accurate breakdown of costs at any point during my treatment even though I asked for it. And the information they provided was not laid out in a sensible way and did not take into consideration unique circumstances. My donor egg process was the part that was so much more expensive than I ever could have imagined. Boston IVF never gave me a realistic expectation of this additional cost .
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
As a single woman, the clinic I highly encourage me to only transfer one at a time for "social" reasons. They actually asked me what I would do with two children! It was offensive. In addition, when I asked about increased chances of having one child by transferring two embryos, they couldn't give me any statistics. This may be true of any doctor and not just Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I've already mentioned the impersonal care and specific mistakes I felt like the clinic made. One of my biggest issues is that I never knew who was in charge of my care and which office to call. One time I got transferred 4 times back and forth between Waltham and South Shore. It was incredibly frustrating. Also, no one could give me an explanation about what to expect for my HCG numbers to reset to normal. I found the staff to be very limited in their knowledge, or if not limited in their knowledge, Limited in their willingness to explain the situation with any depth. Just know that you are going to have to really take control of your own care if you go to Boston IVF. Every interaction I had with dr. Berger was amazing, but love the majority of interactions I had with his staff were unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, my fertility acupuncturist tells me that this is the case with all of the clinics in the Boston area. Very poor customer service for the high price of treatment.
Waltham

[Dr. Alan S. Penzias was] Knowledgeable but didn't have a great bedside manner. He was uncomfortable having conversations with me and I felt rushed. He did however respond via email which was nice. He promised to provide me with follow up information after my three failed IVF cycles but I nevermind heard from him.... Don't expect him to be there every step of the way. He is only there behind the scenes. You almost never have contact with him.
[Boston IVF has] Great hours. Always available for help. They are big so there's not too much personal care. I wish they provided free counseling after the failed cycles. I also wish there was more follow up after my treatments. They dropped me like a hot potato after the third failed round.... Don't expect him to be there every step of the way. He is only there behind the scenes. You almost never have contact with him.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
With my insurance, I paid 7-10k for 2 rounds of IVF.

2013 - 2016, Successful
Just make sure you consider factors besides bedside manner. He [Dr David Ryley] was very friendly and we connected on a personal level but ultimately we were not that happy with our experience at the clinic...Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they [staff at Boston IVF] had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Just make sure you consider factors besides bedside manner. He was very friendly and we connected on a personal level but ultimately we were not that happy with our experience at the clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He has a very good bedside manner. Almost too good - I think he was overly optimistic about our chances of success on multiple occasions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi or Susan depending on the cycle)
We were frustrated on multiple occasions at the lack of coordination and organization on the part of the nursing and administrative staff. Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
We were very concerned by a couple incidents. First, they had a typo that led them to miscount the number of vials of sperm we had used. This raised a number of red flags for us, as the only reason we have confidence that the baby inside us is in fact our own is our level of confidence in their data management system. Second, the insurance coordinator forgot to call us after getting approval for one cycle. I had to call her and she claimed she had called me several days previous because she "always did."
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I had insurance
David Ryley
Boston

2012 - 2016, Successful
He [Dr. Samuel Pang] is all business. He is an excellent doctor but not warm and fuzzy. Very uptight and by the books. He knows his stuff but he wouldn't be who I would call if I needed something explained. I did not see him every appointment and I was ok with that. Sometimes I felt like he was a bit judgmental. He didn't perform my transfers and again I was ok with that.
Strengths.....organized, clean, staff, worked with my local RE. Weakness.....a hospital setting - not warm, fiscal people suck, it was far for me, a lot of changes since they became part of Boston IVF....I loved Alicia [a nurse at IVF New England] and she left the clinic. I then had Paula and she was ok. Attentive etc but sometimes a scatter brain. I LOVED my coordinator....Linda Hillis. She was instrumental in me getting through the process and getting pregnant. She helped with donors and made sure that I received the best care possible.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
He is all business. He is an excellent doctor but not warm and fuzzy. Very uptight and by the books. He knows his stuff but he wouldn't be who I would call if I needed something explained. I did not see him every appointment and I was ok with that. Sometimes I felt like he was a bit judgmental. He didn't perform my transfers and again I was ok with that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
If you are looking for warm and fuzzy....this is not the doctor for you. If you are looking for a good doctor with an amazing coordinator....go for it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
I felt like a human with some and number with others. I ended up being at the clinic for so long that I got to know many of the staff. I LOVED my coordinator. Dr. Pang is all business.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pang used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don't even know. Lupron, estrogen (all forms), PIO. I had a lot of stupid things happen. Eggs didn't thaw.....lining issues.....crappy embryos......My last cycle the book was thrown at me. Lupron, estrogen (all forms), Deletrogen shots, PIO.....it finally worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Alicia and then Paula Duan (I think))
I loved Alicia and she left the clinic. I then had Paula and she was ok. Attentive etc but sometimes a scatter brain. I LOVED my coordinator....Linda Hillis. She was instrumental in me getting through the process and getting pregnant. She helped with donors and made sure that I received the best care possible.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pang at Boston IVF.
$35,500 plus meds (most covered by insurance)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Not necessarily....I had lots of things go wrong. One major issue was that after my first cycle failed, I had to pay for another cycle even though the clinic had adopted a guarantee program. It was complete crap because I would have qualified for the guarantee. They cancelled a cycle due to no eggs thawed and they were that clinic's eggs. I was not reimbursed for meds or anything even though it was a clinic error. I had another cancelled cycle due to lining issues and they tried to charge me for cancelling....needless to say that did not go over well but I didn't have to pay the fee. The fiscal department sucks.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I had a positive experience with Dr. Sneeringer. I felt she listened and gave thorough explanations for both procedures and the reasoning behind it. She was compassionate and supportive. Ultimately though, I interacted with her nurses on a more daily basis. I would see Dr. Sneeringer to follow up and go over results, but my day to day treatment (injections, monitoring, etc) were done by the support staff... I wasn't getting (or perhaps just wasn't understanding) the information about the protocols.
The people at the clinic [Boston IVF], because they do this every day, would talk about procedures or results like I should already know what they were talking about. A lot of times, though, I didn't, which was very frustrating...I was not crazy about my experience with [Nurse] Carol. I felt she was very scattered and rushed, and I never really understood what was coming next. I asked a lot of questions and I started to feel like she thought I was taking up too much of her time.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
To really make sure that you are comfortable with the support staff, since that's who you'll be interacting with on a regular basis.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
The first cycle was the hardest, because I felt like I didn't understand exactly what was going on. The people at the clinic, because they do this every day, would talk about procedures or results like I should already know what they were talking about. A lot of times, though, I didn't, which was very frustrating.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics of my protocols. I went through one IUI and three unsuccessful cycles of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: They were two- Meg and Carol)
I was not crazy about my experience with Carol. I felt she was very scattered and rushed, and I never really understood what was coming next. I asked a lot of questions and I started to feel like she thought I was taking up too much of her time. I do want to add that those feelings were from my first cycle, which was all new and very overwhelming. I did two more cycles after that and had a much better experience with her. I don't know if that was because she improved or because I already had a basic idea of what to expect, or both.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The front desk staff are great, as are the phlebotomists and the ultrasound techs- these are the people that you see on a regular basis. The hours of the clinic were good- during the monitoring period I could have my blood and ultrasounds done starting at 6am so I didn't have to miss work, which was VERY helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
I was very fortunate that our insurance covered almost everything but the genetic testing, which I believe was around $2000.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We chose to transfer one embryo at a time, as my husband was terrified of multiples. Our egg harvesting was not great, so after genetic testing we generally only had one viable embryo anyway.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Nothing specific- it was mainly feeling like I wasn't getting (or perhaps just wasn't understanding) the information about the protocols.
Waltham

Dr. Zimon was inaccessible and I felt like I was scared and frustrated that I didn't know why they were growing so slowly and no one talked with me about it....Dr. Zimon spent over a year getting to know me and guiding the process of IUIs and IVF....Dr. Zimon will meet you at your level but she doesn't exceed expectations. If you show her you're working hard to understand your infertility, then she will match you on that. Unfortunately, she doesn't go above and beyond to understand your unexplained infertility.
The clinic struggled with many administrative tasks....Boston IVF has any doctor on any given day do any procedure even if your doctor is managing the case...[nursing staff] Incorrect information conveyed, inability to count cycle days, inability to really know what they were doing...During my IUIs, one time the stirrup moved A LOT and I felt that this impacted the administration of frozen donor sperm. The clinician did not listen to me as I was telling her the stirrup was moving too much. I felt extraordinary pain afterwards. I expressed upset/concern to staff.
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Zimon was extremely personable, but when it came to certain things, she didn't have much faith in me. For example, after working with her for a year scheduling and doing natural IUIs, when she challenged me to decrease my BMI to a certain number so I could do IVF, she exclaimed she didn't think I'd do it - after I lost all the weight she required. It was disheartening. She is a compassionate doctor, and very much interested in seeing you do well, but there was always something off about her care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Zimon will meet you at your level but she doesn't exceed expectations. If you show her you're working hard to understand your infertility, then she will match you on that. Unfortunately, she doesn't go above and beyond to understand your unexplained infertility. She assumes it might be an age issue, AMH issue, but she doesn't really try to find out if there's something wrong with immunology or other things that could explain it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Zimon spent over a year getting to know me and guiding the process of IUIs and IVF. She strongly advocated for me with IVF failed. It failed partially due to human error, because the doctor assigned to do the retrieval only spent 5 minutes trying to retrieve the egg on the left ovary and gave up trying after 5 minutes. That was Dr. Alper doing the retrieval (Boston IVF has any doctor on any given day do any procedure even if your doctor is managing the case). Dr. Alper didn't know my case or how hard I worked to losing 60 lbs prior to egg retrieval. He didn't know how hard I worked for over a year and a half leading up to IVF. So this is partially a negative report on him as much as it is a positive report on Dr. Zimon. My left ovary had the most mature follicles, but the doctor didn't retrieve them. Regardless, the doctor retrieved the right ovary follicles and even though I was 43, the immature follicle fertilized and became a 4b embryo on day 3. When my insurance refused to cover IVF a second time because I was just about to turn 44 (maybe 3 weeks shy of my 44th birthday), Dr. Zimon advocated that I had lost 60 lbs, and her colleague didn't obtain the mature follicle for my first IVF. Unfortunately, just after this, Dr. Zimon left Boston IVF and I was without any way to move forward with appeals. The whole thing ruined my life because now I can't have my own kids. I gave Boston IVF way too much time to get through the 6 IUIs to finally get to IVF. My fertility numbers got worse over the year and they should have strongly advocated at the very beginning to start with IVF rather than waste time with 6 IUIs.
Describe the protocols Alison Zimon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My first and only IVF was estrogen priming micro dose lupron flare. I was stimming a bit longer than expected, the follicles were growing slowly. Dr. Zimon was inaccessible and I felt like I was scared and frustrated that I didn't know why they were growing so slowly and no one talked with me about it. In the end, there were some beautiful follicles on my left ovary, and the best was unable to be retrieved due to the other doctor on the case (Dr. Michael Alper), spending literally only five minutes and failing to retrieve the best follicle on my left ovary!! He did not even try to get it, didn't seem to realize this was the most important thing in my life -- that 5 minutes was not enough time to spend getting it. The right ovary had the more immature follicle, so it was retrieved, miraculously fertilized, resulting in negative pregnancy test for my only IVF cycle ever. HOW AWFUL!!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: all of them at Boston IVF)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
During my IUIs, one time the stirrup moved A LOT and I felt that this impacted the administration of frozen donor sperm. The clinician did not listen to me as I was telling her the stirrup was moving too much. I felt extraordinary pain afterwards. I expressed upset/concern to staff. I was called by a head nurse or ombudsperson and expressed my concern. Absolutely NOTHING was done about this and they denied that this was ever an issue. I was so upset at the entire community of staff that denied it was a problem and their insistence that this was a successful IUI. How could they deny it? Surely, they didn't care about patient safety or adequate procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
IUIs not covered ($450 each), IVF was covered by my insurance. I paid for frozen donor sperm.
Describe Alison Zimon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The clinic struggled with many administrative tasks. They let me know my prolactin levels were elevated, but they actually were not. They provided low quality information, incorrect information, misinformation.
Alison Zimon
2013 - 2016, Successful
He [Dr Samuel Pang] is good at treating and identifying "unexplained infertility" which is what I first had before going to him. So far I have produced one child in his care and am currently in the process of working on another one!...While he is good, we also never are able to get him on the phone directly and only speak to the nurses during treatment. The nurses bedside manner is about 50/50
He [Dr Samuel Pang] is a director [at IVF New England] and very knowledgeable. He understands your situation and advises treatment well. He is not the most personable person but as long as I get good results and I understand my treatment, that is what matters most....Some appointments can be quick in and out and some may require a long wait if they have a full waiting room. Doctors sometimes get real busy and get overbooked.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
He is a director and very knowledgeable. He understands your situation and advises treatment well. He is not the most personable person but as long as I get good results and I understand my treatment, that is what matters most. He is good at treating and identifying "unexplained infertility" which is what I first had before going to him. So far I have produced one child in his care and am currently in the process of working on another one!
Do not wait too long before getting results and if after a couple of years if you are still unhappy, get a second opinion. Dr Pang was my second opinion after which I finally was able to have kids. I spent too much timegoing through senseless procedures with another doctor that would've never produced me any kids.
I felt in the middle. While he is good, we also never are able to get him on the phone directly and only speak to the nurses during treatment. The nurses bedside manner is about 50/50
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ann Moegle)
They always got back to you same day with instructions and procedures. Though I noticed when you specifically need or want something like a scheduling thing, they would not go out of their way for you unfortunately. You have to abide by their schedule and their rules ofr retrievals and transfers and results. One time I was having major anxiety and would not stop crying at work. I wanted to find out my pregnancy results sooner on a weekend if possible and they would not do that for me because they said their rooms get too swamped when they allow blood tests on weekends. I had been a patient there for a long time and would've appreciated some additional assistance but they would not budge.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pang at Boston IVF.
Expensive, indusrance did not cover much
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
One time the nurses forgot to order my prescription meds but luckily it wasnt crunch time and I had time to get them ordered and delivered.
Lexington
Knowledgeable. Answers questions thoroughly. Very busy, difficult to get in touch with. Can be smug, but if he gets the job done then I don't have a problem with it. That is all I have to say about dr berger...[Boston IVF was] Very unorganized. poor communication. Ie don't respond to emails or faxes. My biggest barrier to care was the office staff and nurses. I had an appointment cancelled on me at 4:55pm the evening before because they misplaced paperwork.
Very unorganized. poor communication. Ie don't respond to emails or faxes. My biggest barrier to care was the office staff and nurses. I had an appointment cancelled on me at 4:55pm the evening before because they misplaced paperwork...Nursing staff at Quincy office were subpar. Waltham office nurses were wonderful.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Be ready for waiting room delays
De Berger explained everything very clearly. Answered questions when meeting with him. Near impossible to speak to/communicate with unless you have an appointment
South Shore

She [Dr. Kerri Luzzo] was recommended by a doctor who I trust. She was not warm and I barely met with her. Communication with her amd with the clinic was limited and there was not enough information passed along to me at times.... She wanted me to do IVF or medicated IUI due to my age. She let me do unmedicated IUI since it was my choice.
The people who drew my blood [at Boston IVF- RSC- Providence] for the.monitored IUI were great! One of the nurses, Julie, was great! She was kind and helpful and understanding. Communication was poor from my primary nurse and from the financial person and from the front desk....Communication with my nurse was also limited and not warm or informative. Communication wi th the financial person was extremely difficult and even disrespectful.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She was recommended by a doctor who I trust. She was not warm and I barely met with her. Communication with her amd with the clinic was limited and there was not enough information passed along to me at times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
If you don't need a personal touch, she may be an ok choice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She was not very warm. Communication with my nurse was also limited and not warm or informative. Communication wi th the financial person was extremely difficult and even disrespectful.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The people who drew my blood for the.monitored IUI were great! One of the nurses, Julie, was great! She was kind and helpful and understanding. Communication was poor from my primary nurse and from the financial person and from the front desk.
Providence
2014 - 2015, Successful
I also appreciate that she [Dr. Wright] didn't support me trying IVF with my own eggs because of my DOR [Diminished Ovarian Reserve]. but there were a lot of big bumps along the way. First of all, she didn't give me enough information about possible outcomes and options before taking the Clomid Challenge...
No doctors from IVF New England were available and I found out (while my feet were in stirrups waiting for the transfer) that I was getting a substitute doctor from Harvard Pilgrim. No one thought to tell me this could happen or reassure me. I had researched all the IVF New England doctors (they were RSC before a merger) and felt comfortable with them all and they send in a substitute at my most critical appointment with no warning or explanation. It was my fresh transfer and ended in a BFN.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Again she was nice and I am confident she knew what she was doing and had the knowledge to help me get pregnant. I also appreciate that she didn't support me trying IVF with my own eggs because of my DOR. That would have been a waste of time and money. All of the support/information I got was from an online group for donor eggs called PVED. I got hardly any information from Dr. Wright. She basically prescribed the medications for IVF and oversaw my cycle. My case was not complicated, no other diagnosis beyond DOR and I had already had a child naturally with my own eggs. Dr. Wright did not do either of my transfers and I did not communicate with her much during my cycles. I mostly talked to my nurse.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Ask lots of questions. Ask who will be doing your transfers and if they use substitute doctors from other practices. She was never rude or mean, but definitely not very emotional. She will get the job done, but don't expect a big hug or anything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
She was nice and in the end, helped me get pregnant, but there were a lot of big bumps along the way. First of all, she didn't give me enough information about possible outcomes and options before taking the Clomid Challenge. Then, she called me and gave me the results (DOR) over the phone and said I would need to use donor eggs. Nothing was explained, no follow-up appointment was made, just a blunt diagnoses with no information or support. That is not information that should be given over the phone. Then, on the day of my transfer, no doctors from IVF New England were available and I found out (while my feet were in stirrups waiting for the transfer) that I was getting a substitute doctor from Harvard Pilgrim. No one thought to tell me this could happen or reassure me. I had researched all the IVF New England doctors (they were RSC before a merger) and felt comfortable with them all and they send in a substitute at my most critical appointment with no warning or explanation. It was my fresh transfer and ended in a BFN.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Anne)
The nurses were kind and 90% on top of things. Once they made a mistake (which I luckily caught) and almost made me stop taking Lupron too soon. Overall, I felt like I was in good hands.
Kristen Wright
2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Alper was very candid with the low chance of success of our initial treatment. He was also didn't push us toward the most invasive treatment for the first round. However, once we made the decision to move forward, it felt like we weren't his patients anymore and instead deposited on some sort of infertility procedure conveyor belt...Ask him to walk you through the process and his role once you make the decision to move forward. He was great at explaining the medical procedures and what they mean, but didn't tell us that the nurses basically did everything.
The place [Boston IVF] is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr. Alper did a fantastic job when we were in the appointments explaining the tests, what our diagnosis meant and not rushing us to make a decision.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Clomid IUI
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
When we went to our initial appointment, we met the nurse who worked with Dr. Alper. However, in the months that followed, we were passed from nurse to nurse. I would call and leave a message, but a different nurse would call me back.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The place is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
None-Insurance covered the treadment
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Information was conveyed in my description of the clinic.
Michael Alper

2013 - 2015, Unknown Success
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
3 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
She gives options. You have to make decisions. She is very good. Her staff is very sloppy and needs constant follow up.
You need to manage this clinic full time. We lost so much time in between cycles because they didn't get the appropriate approval or test or schedule. They [the nursing staff] always remembered details only when prompted. You have to stay on top to get all forms, Meds, approvals yourself otherwise will be stranded at the last min!
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr Zimon is very personable and does her best to work with you to understand your needs. What she could do better is be more decisive instead of always being diplomatic. Sometimes she needs to be the doctor and take charge.
Dr Zimon takes the time to speak to you and will call whenever needed even if just to chat.
All agonist protocols. Donor eggs with estrace and crinone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen londergan and Sharon Letizia )
They always remembered details only when prompted. You have to stay on top to get all forms, Meds, approvals yourself otherwise will be stranded at the last min!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
65k
Alison Zimon
2015, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
They [IVF New England] required two vials of sperm for IVF even though I only had one vial of my son's donor left and told them flat out that I would not be using the second vial. They still required two...I didn't get the results I wanted but she was a good doctor. She adjusted treatments as needed and was willing to try new things. She had good availability for appointments...She took the time time to individualize treatment plans...Highest doses of follistim for estrogen priming protocol and an antagonist protocol. She did refuse to admit that I was oversuppressd by BCP on my first cycle. But was willing to forgo them on the second cycle.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She took the time time to individualize treatment plans.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They required two vials of sperm for IVF even though I only had one vial of my son's donor left and told them flat out that I would not be using the second vial. They still required two.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Reasonable and competitive.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Beta results were not always same day.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He was reserved, knowledgeable, clearly an expert, but not warm at all. I trusted him, but did not like how negative he was....Be aware for bluntness, and not a lot of compassion. Also, he does not perform many of the actual procedures.
They [the nurses] were very nice. The main nurse I dealt with was very repetitive....He [Dr Oskowitz] was reserved, knowledgeable, clearly an expert, but not warm at all. I trusted him, but did not like how negative he was.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
He knew who I was and about my case, but his bedside manner was gruff andkind of negative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
They were very nice. The main nurse I dealt with was very repetitive. Maybe she found that necessary. I found hearing something three times unnecessary.
Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired)
Brookline

2011 - 2012, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Glatstein] seemed like a really smart guy, but was incredibly condescending, treating me and my husband like we were idiots, despite our advanced degrees in fields related to science. Mostly we felt like an inconvenience to him and our IUI was merely part of the process to get us to IVF. He screwed up one of my injectible cycles by lack of careful monitoring as well and triggered me at 14mm, which was unlikely to result in success...
Overall a very modern clinic [at IVF New England - Lex] with a massive patient base that they churn out like a factory, at least if you're only doing IUI (I've met patients who had better experiences there with IVF). Wait times for blood draws and monitoring are incredibly long. The phlebotamists managed to bruise me every single draw. Nurses were wonderful, financial coordinator was amazing, doctors were meh...
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
He seemed like a really smart guy, but was incredibly condescending, treating me and my husband like we were idiots, despite our advanced degrees in fields related to science. Mostly we felt like an inconvenience to him and our IUI was merely part of the process to get us to IVF. He screwed up one of my injectible cycles by lack of careful monitoring as well and triggered me at 14mm, which was unlikely to result in success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Avoid him.
Describe the protocols Isaac Glatstein used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My protocol looked identical to everyone else's despite my being "unexplained" and most people having real diagnoses. Despite no reason why I should fail with IUI, I only got bfns after 5 IUIs. No further diagnostics were offered, only push towards IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was great, the heart of this clinic. Given the number of patients per doctor, this place wouldn't function at all if it weren't for the nurses picking up all the logistical work and patient management.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Overall a very modern clinic with a massive patient base that they churn out like a factory, at least if you're only doing IUI (I've met patients who had better experiences there with IVF). Wait times for blood draws and monitoring are incredibly long. The phlebotamists managed to bruise me every single draw. Nurses were wonderful, financial coordinator was amazing, doctors were meh.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Overall, decently well run from a logistics perspective (aside from wait times for blood draws and ultrasounds), but mistakes happen likely due to patient volume.
Isaac Glatstein

2009 - 2011, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Was invested in my care. Compassionate but practical. Honest.
Hardly ever the same RN calling with instructions...No privacy at RSC - big room with multiple beds, curtains open for before and after transfer.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Boston IVF?
Was invested in my care. Compassionate but practical. Honest.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Lee at Boston IVF?
Is committed to her patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Lee at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lee was invested in our care
Describe the protocols Grace Lee used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Various protocols, varying degrees of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Depended on which nurse you got, some were ok, some just plain bad. Some not compassionate, or organized, or helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Many locations, which didn't help with coordination of care. Hardly ever the same RN calling with instructions. Procedures done at RSC New England in Lexington. No privacy at RSC - big room with multiple beds, curtains open for before and after transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
MD would sometimes call with test results and instructions to make another appt., but it was impossible to make the appt. on a weekend. The main desk would say they were closed when they were not, and you couldn't get though to the fertility dept. Very frustrating
Grace Lee

2011, Unsuccessful
I did not have much communication with the doctor [Rita Sneeringer] other than the initial consult and then a meeting at the end to review the cycle. She did not attempt to connect to us or help make us feel comfortable with the situation we were about to go through...
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] was unremarkable and not particularly memorable. Don't have many comments about them. I do remember the testing staff, particularly ultrasound technicians telling me not to complain if I was experiencing pain...Very focused on the money, they run behind on appointments for retrieval and transfer. The testing staff was never very friendly, phlebotomists and ultrasound technicians jump to my mind.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I did not have much communication with the doctor other than the initial consult and then a meeting at the end to review the cycle. She did not attempt to connect to us or help make us feel comfortable with the situation we were about to go through
Ask for a lot of questions and be very comfortable before proceeding
The doctor did not in any time try to connect and Boston IVF was always sending bills, even ones that were incorrect
Lupron with GonalF
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was unremarkable and not particularly memorable. Don't have many comments about them. I do remember the testing staff, particularly ultrasound technicians telling me not to complain if I was experiencing pain.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
It ran well and you could be in and out soon, but the technicians were not friendly

2009 - 2010, Unsuccessful
I don't have strong memories of the nursing staff since I didn't do any major procedures at this clinic.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He put me on clomid three times, one of those times I got pregnant. He told me "call me when you have the baby." I miscarried a few days later. He is kind and compassionate but didn't seem to go the extra mile to really figure out if this was the right course of action.
Ask many questions
He and the team were caring and friendly.