6.6

Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2014 - 2015, Successful
I also appreciate that she [Dr. Wright] didn't support me trying IVF with my own eggs because of my DOR [Diminished Ovarian Reserve]. but there were a lot of big bumps along the way. First of all, she didn't give me enough information about possible outcomes and options before taking the Clomid Challenge...
No doctors from IVF New England were available and I found out (while my feet were in stirrups waiting for the transfer) that I was getting a substitute doctor from Harvard Pilgrim. No one thought to tell me this could happen or reassure me. I had researched all the IVF New England doctors (they were RSC before a merger) and felt comfortable with them all and they send in a substitute at my most critical appointment with no warning or explanation. It was my fresh transfer and ended in a BFN.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Again she was nice and I am confident she knew what she was doing and had the knowledge to help me get pregnant. I also appreciate that she didn't support me trying IVF with my own eggs because of my DOR. That would have been a waste of time and money. All of the support/information I got was from an online group for donor eggs called PVED. I got hardly any information from Dr. Wright. She basically prescribed the medications for IVF and oversaw my cycle. My case was not complicated, no other diagnosis beyond DOR and I had already had a child naturally with my own eggs. Dr. Wright did not do either of my transfers and I did not communicate with her much during my cycles. I mostly talked to my nurse.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Ask lots of questions. Ask who will be doing your transfers and if they use substitute doctors from other practices. She was never rude or mean, but definitely not very emotional. She will get the job done, but don't expect a big hug or anything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
She was nice and in the end, helped me get pregnant, but there were a lot of big bumps along the way. First of all, she didn't give me enough information about possible outcomes and options before taking the Clomid Challenge. Then, she called me and gave me the results (DOR) over the phone and said I would need to use donor eggs. Nothing was explained, no follow-up appointment was made, just a blunt diagnoses with no information or support. That is not information that should be given over the phone. Then, on the day of my transfer, no doctors from IVF New England were available and I found out (while my feet were in stirrups waiting for the transfer) that I was getting a substitute doctor from Harvard Pilgrim. No one thought to tell me this could happen or reassure me. I had researched all the IVF New England doctors (they were RSC before a merger) and felt comfortable with them all and they send in a substitute at my most critical appointment with no warning or explanation. It was my fresh transfer and ended in a BFN.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Anne)
The nurses were kind and 90% on top of things. Once they made a mistake (which I luckily caught) and almost made me stop taking Lupron too soon. Overall, I felt like I was in good hands.
Kristen Wright
2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Alper was very candid with the low chance of success of our initial treatment. He was also didn't push us toward the most invasive treatment for the first round. However, once we made the decision to move forward, it felt like we weren't his patients anymore and instead deposited on some sort of infertility procedure conveyor belt...Ask him to walk you through the process and his role once you make the decision to move forward. He was great at explaining the medical procedures and what they mean, but didn't tell us that the nurses basically did everything.
The place [Boston IVF] is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr. Alper did a fantastic job when we were in the appointments explaining the tests, what our diagnosis meant and not rushing us to make a decision.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Clomid IUI
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
When we went to our initial appointment, we met the nurse who worked with Dr. Alper. However, in the months that followed, we were passed from nurse to nurse. I would call and leave a message, but a different nurse would call me back.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The place is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
None-Insurance covered the treadment
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Information was conveyed in my description of the clinic.
Waltham

He [Dr. Lannon] is willing to get into the nitty gritty details of the science of treatment, but also the emotional aspects. He takes your whole picture into account. Has a great and appropriate sense of humor. ... He is extremely available for questions at any time and goes to bat for you to try to make things go as smoothly as possible. He helps you think through all your options and the pros and cons without pressuring you one way or the other. I don't know if I could have keep going with treatment without his support.
The front office staff [At Boston IVF] is not particularly friendly and I had a few very non-compassionate interactions. If you are deviating from their usual protocols things might get messed up and you have to be on top of things for yourself. Timing of monitoring is not flexible but they did always get me in pretty early so I wasn't too late for work. The ultrasound techs rotate in and are not specific to the clinic, so they are very different in what they tell you about what they are seeing which I found stressful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
He was the second doctor I saw and changing to him made a huge difference. He is extremely available for questions at any time and goes to bat for you to try to make things go as smoothly as possible. He helps you think through all your options and the pros and cons without pressuring you one way or the other. I don't know if I could have keep going with treatment without his support.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Go in to the visit with all your questions written down, he will take the time to go through them all with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
He is willing to get into the nitty gritty details of the science of treatment, but also the emotional aspects. He takes your whole picture into account. Has a great and appropriate sense of humor.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Lannon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Still in the middle of treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara)
The nurses were ok, I feel they could have been more responsive and organized. There were multiple miscommunications and mix ups. I did not get much emotional support from them.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The front office staff is not particularly friendly and I had a few very non-compassionate interactions. If you are deviating from their usual protocols things might get messed up and you have to be on top of things for yourself. Timing of monitoring is not flexible but they did always get me in pretty early so I wasn't too late for work. The ultrasound techs rotate in and are not specific to the clinic, so they are very different in what they tell you about what they are seeing which I found stressful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF.
So far, about $20,000
Benjamin Lannon
South Portland

Dr. Bayer is extremely nice, however, most of my contact is with his nursing staff. The nurses are not very forthcoming with information and it appears Dr. Bayer is not very involved in my case as I have only spoken to him once, which includes my initial consultation. Our second meeting I had to initiate on the advice of a friend, due to the number of unanswered questions I had....Each insemination was $450, which is performed by a nurse. I was offered a "trigger shot" last minute, with no explanation of its purpose or benefits, at the cost of $650...Three natural cycles and three cycles with medication.
Boston IVF has a lot of availability, which is helpful for scheduling. However, you have minimal contact with the providers on your case. The facilities are well maintained, but I feel they are more interested in finding ways to bill me, than helping me conceive....Important details about my test results and how it affects my treatment plan was not disclosed in a timely manner....Staff was only forthcoming about how much they were going to bill me. Otherwise, treatment and results were vaguely explained. I seek most of my information elsewhere, which is extremely frustrating.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to be in the dark and spend a lot of money.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Three natural cycles and three cycles with medication.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Always polite, but not forthcoming with information about procedures or treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
My two office visits with the doctor were covered by my insurance, except for my co-pays. Each insemination was $450, which is performed by a nurse. I was offered a "trigger shot" last minute, with no explanation of its purpose or benefits, at the cost of $650.
Steven Bayer

2011 - 2012, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Glatstein] seemed like a really smart guy, but was incredibly condescending, treating me and my husband like we were idiots, despite our advanced degrees in fields related to science. Mostly we felt like an inconvenience to him and our IUI was merely part of the process to get us to IVF. He screwed up one of my injectible cycles by lack of careful monitoring as well and triggered me at 14mm, which was unlikely to result in success...
Overall a very modern clinic [at IVF New England - Lex] with a massive patient base that they churn out like a factory, at least if you're only doing IUI (I've met patients who had better experiences there with IVF). Wait times for blood draws and monitoring are incredibly long. The phlebotamists managed to bruise me every single draw. Nurses were wonderful, financial coordinator was amazing, doctors were meh...
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
He seemed like a really smart guy, but was incredibly condescending, treating me and my husband like we were idiots, despite our advanced degrees in fields related to science. Mostly we felt like an inconvenience to him and our IUI was merely part of the process to get us to IVF. He screwed up one of my injectible cycles by lack of careful monitoring as well and triggered me at 14mm, which was unlikely to result in success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Avoid him.
Describe the protocols Isaac Glatstein used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My protocol looked identical to everyone else's despite my being "unexplained" and most people having real diagnoses. Despite no reason why I should fail with IUI, I only got bfns after 5 IUIs. No further diagnostics were offered, only push towards IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was great, the heart of this clinic. Given the number of patients per doctor, this place wouldn't function at all if it weren't for the nurses picking up all the logistical work and patient management.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Overall a very modern clinic with a massive patient base that they churn out like a factory, at least if you're only doing IUI (I've met patients who had better experiences there with IVF). Wait times for blood draws and monitoring are incredibly long. The phlebotamists managed to bruise me every single draw. Nurses were wonderful, financial coordinator was amazing, doctors were meh.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Overall, decently well run from a logistics perspective (aside from wait times for blood draws and ultrasounds), but mistakes happen likely due to patient volume.
Isaac Glatstein
Lexington
She [Dr. Luzzo] explained everything in great detail. She clearly knows her stuff. The amount of information delivered is however overwhelming, making it hard to retain. I also did not feel seen as a person as she seemed emotion-less, which probably had nothing to do with me but has made appointments a bit uncomfortable....She feels quite distant and lethargic. Little warmth. No apparent enthusiasm
Great location [Boston IVF - Providence]. Pleasant set-up. Very friendly front desk staff. Downside: Weekend coverage as well as sperm storage is at a different clinic or in Waltham, MA. Certain procedures are only in Waltham.... Wendy [nurse] seems to know a lot about infertility, IUIs and IVF procedures. She has also felt rather distant and unmotivated.... Regular IUI $450. Monitored IUI: $1050. unsure otherwise
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She explained everything in great detail. She clearly knows her stuff. The amount of information delivered is however overwhelming, making it hard to retain. I also did not feel seen as a person as she seemed emotion-less, which probably had nothing to do with me but has made appointments a bit uncomfortable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Do not expect warmth
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She feels quite distant and lethargic. Little warmth. No apparent enthusiasm
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Until now monitored IUI was recommended. Moving forward IVF is recommended due to unexplained infertility
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy seems to know a lot about infertility, IUIs and IVF procedures. She has also felt rather distant and unmotivated.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Great location. Pleasant set-up. Very friendly front desk staff. Downside: Weekend coverage as well as sperm storage is at a different clinic or in Waltham, MA. Certain procedures are only in Waltham.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Regular IUI $450. Monitored IUI: $1050. unsure otherwise
Providence

I did not find Dr. Thornton to be a caring physician. She did not take the time to answer our questions or to fully explain everything that was going on. I always felt rushed and that I was taking up her time.... Dr. Thornton did not order the full panel of tests that our current RE ordered. I found out through my current RE that I have a thyroid issue that requires me to take medication. Dr. Thornton also did not give me proper instructions on how to take a supplement she advised me to take.
I felt very rushed at my appointments.... The clinic [Boston IVF] is incredibly large and you often feel like a number and feel rushed. There are ample physicians if you wish to get a second opinion within the same clinic.... I did not find Dr. Thornton to be a caring physician. She did not take the time to answer our questions or to fully explain everything that was going on. I always felt rushed and that I was taking up her time.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Do not go to her. Find a different provider or clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I felt very rushed at my appointments.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is incredibly large and you often feel like a number and feel rushed. There are ample physicians if you wish to get a second opinion within the same clinic.
Kim L. Thornton
Worcester

2013 - 2015, Unknown Success
She gives options. You have to make decisions. She is very good. Her staff is very sloppy and needs constant follow up.
You need to manage this clinic full time. We lost so much time in between cycles because they didn't get the appropriate approval or test or schedule. They [the nursing staff] always remembered details only when prompted. You have to stay on top to get all forms, Meds, approvals yourself otherwise will be stranded at the last min!
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr Zimon is very personable and does her best to work with you to understand your needs. What she could do better is be more decisive instead of always being diplomatic. Sometimes she needs to be the doctor and take charge.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Dr Zimon takes the time to speak to you and will call whenever needed even if just to chat.
Describe the protocols Alison Zimon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
All agonist protocols. Donor eggs with estrace and crinone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen londergan and Sharon Letizia )
They always remembered details only when prompted. You have to stay on top to get all forms, Meds, approvals yourself otherwise will be stranded at the last min!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
65k
Alison Zimon

2009 - 2011, Unsuccessful
Was invested in my care. Compassionate but practical. Honest.
Hardly ever the same RN calling with instructions...No privacy at RSC - big room with multiple beds, curtains open for before and after transfer.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Boston IVF?
Was invested in my care. Compassionate but practical. Honest.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Lee at Boston IVF?
Is committed to her patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Lee at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lee was invested in our care
Describe the protocols Grace Lee used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Various protocols, varying degrees of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Depended on which nurse you got, some were ok, some just plain bad. Some not compassionate, or organized, or helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Many locations, which didn't help with coordination of care. Hardly ever the same RN calling with instructions. Procedures done at RSC New England in Lexington. No privacy at RSC - big room with multiple beds, curtains open for before and after transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
MD would sometimes call with test results and instructions to make another appt., but it was impossible to make the appt. on a weekend. The main desk would say they were closed when they were not, and you couldn't get though to the fertility dept. Very frustrating
Grace Lee

2011, Unsuccessful
I did not have much communication with the doctor [Rita Sneeringer] other than the initial consult and then a meeting at the end to review the cycle. She did not attempt to connect to us or help make us feel comfortable with the situation we were about to go through...
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] was unremarkable and not particularly memorable. Don't have many comments about them. I do remember the testing staff, particularly ultrasound technicians telling me not to complain if I was experiencing pain...Very focused on the money, they run behind on appointments for retrieval and transfer. The testing staff was never very friendly, phlebotomists and ultrasound technicians jump to my mind.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I did not have much communication with the doctor other than the initial consult and then a meeting at the end to review the cycle. She did not attempt to connect to us or help make us feel comfortable with the situation we were about to go through
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Ask for a lot of questions and be very comfortable before proceeding
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
The doctor did not in any time try to connect and Boston IVF was always sending bills, even ones that were incorrect
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Lupron with GonalF
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was unremarkable and not particularly memorable. Don't have many comments about them. I do remember the testing staff, particularly ultrasound technicians telling me not to complain if I was experiencing pain.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
It ran well and you could be in and out soon, but the technicians were not friendly
Waltham

[Dr. Alan S. Penzias was] Knowledgeable but didn't have a great bedside manner. He was uncomfortable having conversations with me and I felt rushed. He did however respond via email which was nice. He promised to provide me with follow up information after my three failed IVF cycles but I nevermind heard from him.... Don't expect him to be there every step of the way. He is only there behind the scenes. You almost never have contact with him.
[Boston IVF has] Great hours. Always available for help. They are big so there's not too much personal care. I wish they provided free counseling after the failed cycles. I also wish there was more follow up after my treatments. They dropped me like a hot potato after the third failed round.... Don't expect him to be there every step of the way. He is only there behind the scenes. You almost never have contact with him.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
With my insurance, I paid 7-10k for 2 rounds of IVF.
Waltham
Knowledgeable. Answers questions thoroughly. Very busy, difficult to get in touch with. Can be smug, but if he gets the job done then I don't have a problem with it. That is all I have to say about dr berger...[Boston IVF was] Very unorganized. poor communication. Ie don't respond to emails or faxes. My biggest barrier to care was the office staff and nurses. I had an appointment cancelled on me at 4:55pm the evening before because they misplaced paperwork.
Very unorganized. poor communication. Ie don't respond to emails or faxes. My biggest barrier to care was the office staff and nurses. I had an appointment cancelled on me at 4:55pm the evening before because they misplaced paperwork...Nursing staff at Quincy office were subpar. Waltham office nurses were wonderful.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Be ready for waiting room delays
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
De Berger explained everything very clearly. Answered questions when meeting with him. Near impossible to speak to/communicate with unless you have an appointment
Brian Berger
2015, Unsuccessful
They [IVF New England] required two vials of sperm for IVF even though I only had one vial of my son's donor left and told them flat out that I would not be using the second vial. They still required two...I didn't get the results I wanted but she was a good doctor. She adjusted treatments as needed and was willing to try new things. She had good availability for appointments...She took the time time to individualize treatment plans...Highest doses of follistim for estrogen priming protocol and an antagonist protocol. She did refuse to admit that I was oversuppressd by BCP on my first cycle. But was willing to forgo them on the second cycle.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She took the time time to individualize treatment plans.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They required two vials of sperm for IVF even though I only had one vial of my son's donor left and told them flat out that I would not be using the second vial. They still required two.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Reasonable and competitive.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Beta results were not always same day.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He was reserved, knowledgeable, clearly an expert, but not warm at all. I trusted him, but did not like how negative he was....Be aware for bluntness, and not a lot of compassion. Also, he does not perform many of the actual procedures.
They [the nurses] were very nice. The main nurse I dealt with was very repetitive....He [Dr Oskowitz] was reserved, knowledgeable, clearly an expert, but not warm at all. I trusted him, but did not like how negative he was.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
He knew who I was and about my case, but his bedside manner was gruff andkind of negative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
They were very nice. The main nurse I dealt with was very repetitive. Maybe she found that necessary. I found hearing something three times unnecessary.
Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired)
Brookline

2009 - 2010, Unsuccessful
I don't have strong memories of the nursing staff since I didn't do any major procedures at this clinic.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He put me on clomid three times, one of those times I got pregnant. He told me "call me when you have the baby." I miscarried a few days later. He is kind and compassionate but didn't seem to go the extra mile to really figure out if this was the right course of action.
Ask many questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He and the team were caring and friendly.
2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. David Ryley] was great, but I only met him once...The rest was executed by the Boston IVF operation...I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process...Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal
Scheduling was a challenge [at Boston IVF]...They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse).
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal, and my husband was treated as the free sperm donor. Dr. Ryley was great, but I only met him once. The rest was executed by the Boston IVF operation. Scheduling was a challenge. IVF is a timely matter. If you have a day job forget it. They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse). When I started to cry they told me to "stop crying." Then they say "in reality you could have had water up to 2 hours before, we just don't like to tell people that." Since the transfer I've been trying to get a copy of the results. They said they would email it and haven't. I've been trying for six weeks. I went in today for my first ultrasound to see the fetus. Due to Covid-19, they won't let my husband come with me. (For reference, all other hospitals and clinics in Boston allow 1 visitor by this time). I asked if I can FaceTime or video and they said no it's a "strict policy." I started crying telling them how hard, impersonal, and lonely this experience has been and how hard it is for me to even get documentation of my own medical records. They didn't care - they would barely let me even look at the ultrasound screen myself. When the nurse called me with the results she said "they should be able to let you FaceTime your husband; others have been doing that." To be fair, everyone is polite and I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
It is really hard to have a day job; during the cycle there will be no regard for your time. Boston IVF is an embryo farm. They'll get the job done, but be prepared to be treated like a number.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Overworked. I think as humans they genuinely care but are overworked so that they have to treat people as a number to get through the daily to-do list.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Stregths = experience. Weaknesses = operations and bedside manner. Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal, and my husband was treated as the free sperm donor. Scheduling was a challenge. IVF is a timely matter. If you have a day job forget it. They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse). When I started to cry they told me to "stop crying." Then they say "in reality you could have had water up to 2 hours before, we just don't like to tell people that." Since the transfer I've been trying to get a copy of the results. They said they would email it and haven't. I've been trying for six weeks. I went in today for my first ultrasound to see the fetus. Due to Covid-19, they won't let my husband come with me. (For reference, all other hospitals and clinics in Boston allow 1 visitor by this time). I asked if I can FaceTime or video and they said no it's a "strict policy." I started crying telling them how hard, impersonal, and lonely this experience has been and how hard it is for me to even get documentation of my own medical records. They didn't care - they would barely let me even look at the ultrasound screen myself. When the nurse called me with the results she said "they should be able to let you FaceTime your husband; others have been doing that." To be fair, everyone is polite and I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Very expensive, but insurance covered most.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Nurses are overworked. Getting the prescriptions was a mess - required me to make multiple phone calls to handhold the communications between Boston IVF and Avella pharmacy. They gave me conflicting information on surgery prep and clinic protocol. Didn't give clear instructions on administering hormones (i.e. what time); I asked very specific questions to get it based on research.
David Ryley
Boston

Be aware that he [Dr. Samuel Pang] has many patients. Always double check the dosage of medications that you should be taking- especially if it is a medication that could impact the success of implantation...is intelligent, but has far too many patients and cannot spend the time necessary to focus on each patient. I constantly felt like I was a number and did not feel like I got personal care for my case...I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication.
On more than one occasion [nurse at Boston IVF] was accusatory of me. The first time she said I didn't inform her or Dr. Pang about work travel- which I had with both of them. In the next instance she accused me of not taking my medications correctly- which I was; but the medical team never communicated to me that I should have changed my dosage....I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication... is run like a large corporation. They seem to care more about the number of patients than they do about how the patients are treated. I could not help but to feel they wanted to get the most cycles out of me as possible instead of having success early on.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pang is intelligent, but has far too many patients and cannot spend the time necessary to focus on each patient. I constantly felt like I was a number and did not feel like I got personal care for my case.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Be aware that he has many patients. Always double check the dosage of medications that you should be taking- especially if it is a medication that could impact the success of implantation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
After my last failed cycle Dr. Pang's nurse questioned if I was taking the correct dose of Levothyroxin. She told me I was taking the wrong dose; however, upon further inspection she confirmed nobody had told me to change my dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Butters)
On more than one occasion Lisa was accusatory of me. The first time she said I didn't inform her or Dr. Pang about work travel- which I had with both of them. In the next instance she accused me of not taking my medications correctly- which I was; but the medical team never communicated to me that I should have changed my dosage.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
BostonIVF is run like a large corporation. They seem to care more about the number of patients than they do about how the patients are treated. I could not help but to feel they wanted to get the most cycles out of me as possible instead of having success early on.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication. The nurse then accused me of either taking the medication incorrectly or not at the correct dosage. Neither of which was true- I was just never informed about the change in dosage- which the nurse later agreed with me on.
Samuel Pang
2019, Consult
The doctor [Dr. Armando Arroyo] never greeted me. Never asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Nor asked me questions about myself to understand who I was... didn't want to talk through anything at all. He signed me up for a list of over 30 tests. Most that either I had already had done...Never once did he ask if I had any questions or concerns. Just "see you in 6 weeks for your follow up" and ushered me into another room to talk to a financial adviser. I have NEVER left a doctor being so confused as to what was going on, and I was in tears. It was AWFUL. If you are a woman, who is looking for help, he is looking for money, he does not care about your well being at all.
[Boston IVF- Syracuse Center is] a homey feeling clinic...The receptionist didn't know anything, and took 10 minutes to check me in. It is near impossible to find the office as its inside a huge building and when you use your GPS, good luck getting there. and The receptionist when you call for help can't help at all...I was handed off like a package [by the nurse], one for my weight, one for the 50000 questions they ask you, then one who's job was to talk to me about how I am going to pay for it. She literally said "Well, everything will be billed to insurance, but we don't know what they will cover, and you will have to pay the rest." Which didn't help me at all.
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
I was sat down in Dr.Arroyo's office, and told that he would talk with me about everything. He said okay, you have PCOS. Great, your options are get pregnant or get on birth control. That was it. I tried to ask various questions about managing my hormone levels, and he brushed off the questions. I told him what my concerns were and he pretty much didn't care. He told me that it was what he planned or nothing. And didn't want to talk through anything at all. He signed me up for a list of over 30 tests. Most that either I had already had done, or were absolutely un-necessary, as validated by another doctor later. Never once did he ask if I had any questions or concerns. Just "see you in 6 weeks for your follow up" and ushered me into another room to talk to a financial adviser. I have NEVER left a doctor being so confused as to what was going on, and I was in tears. It was AWFUL. If you are a woman, who is looking for help, he is looking for money, he does not care about your well being at all.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
RUN AWAY. FAR AWAY. Find another doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
The doctor never greeted me. Never asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Nor asked me questions about myself to understand who I was. He wanted to see how much money he could get out of me and that was it.
Describe the protocols Armando Arroyo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr. Arroyo wanted me to do 30 different blood tests, including genetics, STD (I have never had a positive pap in my life and had just had one done a few weeks earlier), wanted me to come and do about 6 different ultrasounds, and have my husband do a semen test. NONE of these were actually needed ( as told to me by my new doctor).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I was handed off like a package, one for my weight, one for the 50000 questions they ask you, then one who's job was to talk to me about how I am going to pay for it. She literally said "Well, everything will be billed to insurance, but we don't know what they will cover, and you will have to pay the rest." Which didn't help me at all.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Its a homey feeling clinic. You don't know what you're in for when you walk in. The receptionist didn't know anything, and took 10 minutes to check me in. It is near impossible to find the office as its inside a huge building and when you use your GPS, good luck getting there. and The receptionist when you call for help can't help at all.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF.
I have no idea, because the financial person could not tell me what ANYTHING was going to cost. I thought I would walk away with an idea but nope. She didn't know and had nothing she could tell me, even with what my insurance would cover, even though the whole point of sending my insurance information in early was so that I could have an idea of the costs ahead of time.
Syracuse

He [Dr. Armando Arroyo] never knew our names and had the same exact meeting with us TWO times and didn't know it until my husband reminded him...He seemed like a nice enough guy and did explain things to us but he should have had a nurse in the office when he was explaining the plan to us because once we got outside his office everything was different...We were doing a few rounds of letrozole and trigger shots with relations then going to IUI.
once I tried to pay [at Boston IVF- THe Syracuse Center] and they told me I had no balance. When I left the office they called/emailed me IMMEDIATELY asking me to clear up my balance that didn't exist a few minutes earlier. If only they called with MEDICAL information as quickly as they called to collect money...Some [nurses] were very nice, some literally never spoke to me when doing 10+ minute ultrasounds. One nurse checked me in as the wrong patient and started a procedure on me as said patient!! I only found out because the doctor called me the wrong name!
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
I only met him twice but it took up a lot of my time for him to hold the same meeting with us two times to discuss the same thing. He seemed like a nice enough guy and did explain things to us but he should have had a nurse in the office when he was explaining the plan to us because once we got outside his office everything was different.
Go to CNY fertility instead.
He never knew our names and had the same exact meeting with us TWO times and didn't know it until my husband reminded him.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some were very nice, some literally never spoke to me when doing 10+ minute ultrasounds. One nurse checked me in as the wrong patient and started a procedure on me as said patient!! I only found out because the doctor called me the wrong name!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clean office but they only care about money, not patients. You're COD which is fine but once I tried to pay and they told me I had no balance. When I left the office they called/emailed me IMMEDIATELY asking me to clear up my balance that didn't exist a few minutes earlier. If only they called with MEDICAL information as quickly as they called to collect money.
Monitoring and bloodwork was $450/visit.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Mentioned the payment issues and incorrect patient issue on previous slides.
Syracuse

We had a horrible experience with Dr Alper! After failed IUIs, we did an IVF cycle where 21 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo came out of it due to poor quality eggs from his set protocol. He also did not put me on metformin despite my pcos. When we met to review, he said he wouldn’t change my protocol going forward. We switched to CCrM Boston with Dr Zimon and got 11 embryos and I’m not currently pregnant. Please don’t waste your time with him!
Boston ivf is like a factory but you get in and out quick for ultrasounds. You also get a random doctor doing your retrieval and transfer. Ultrasounds are done by techs rather than the doctors themselves (like CCrM Boston).... Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!... Very basic pre set protocol with dosing. I was on gonal-f and certitude. Trigger was ovidrel.... He follows pre-set protocols and does not adjust medications or care plans based on your situation.
Run!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!
Waltham

She [Dr. Kerri Luzzo] was recommended by a doctor who I trust. She was not warm and I barely met with her. Communication with her amd with the clinic was limited and there was not enough information passed along to me at times.... She wanted me to do IVF or medicated IUI due to my age. She let me do unmedicated IUI since it was my choice.
The people who drew my blood [at Boston IVF- RSC- Providence] for the.monitored IUI were great! One of the nurses, Julie, was great! She was kind and helpful and understanding. Communication was poor from my primary nurse and from the financial person and from the front desk....Communication with my nurse was also limited and not warm or informative. Communication wi th the financial person was extremely difficult and even disrespectful.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She was recommended by a doctor who I trust. She was not warm and I barely met with her. Communication with her amd with the clinic was limited and there was not enough information passed along to me at times.
If you don't need a personal touch, she may be an ok choice.
She was not very warm. Communication with my nurse was also limited and not warm or informative. Communication wi th the financial person was extremely difficult and even disrespectful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The people who drew my blood for the.monitored IUI were great! One of the nurses, Julie, was great! She was kind and helpful and understanding. Communication was poor from my primary nurse and from the financial person and from the front desk.

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
My treatment strategy was very different than most fertility patients Dr. Alper told me. I create too many follicles...I felt like I was just a number to Dr. Alper. He was not very personable. When meeting or speaking with him about next steps, it always seemed like he was just taking a guess on what we should do next. ... Our personalities didn't work together. I needed more than just the facts during this financial and emotional roller coaster.
Being a new patient and extremely nervous of the unknown, I think the front desk [Boston IVF] could be a little more upbeat and friendly. The financial coordinator was at times hard to talk to due to her abruptness. She seemed annoyed at times when I would ask questions via phone. She was excellent when answering emails and would respond in a quick fashion.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Meeting Dr. Alper for the first time was a quick 20 minute consult, which was surprising to me since we were paying a large sum out of pocket for this visit. He described the general process of IVF and said he would send the information to his nurse. I was really taken back by the lack of personality and how business like it was. I continued to get treatment with him as my doctor because it was convenient for my job and location. I thought maybe I was being too critical and my husband agreed. After the first round of IVF, the only time I spoke or met with Doctor Alper was our consult and the meeting after hearing we were not pregnant. This meeting was to go over the first round and our next steps. This meeting was about 20 minutes as well. I was disappointed that Dr. Alper was my doctor, but never did any of my egg retrievals or transfers. I was not informed by him that he would not be doing either procedure. For my second round of IVF he adjusted my medications and steps we would take to conceive. When it was time to transfer the embryos, he did listen to my husband and my opinion about transferring both embryos. We did conceive! Only to have a chemical pregnancy a couple weeks later. During that time, I worked with my nurse and another doctor in the office. I couldn't believe that my own doctor was not helping my husband and I through the difficult time. Dr. Alper did call a few weeks after my chemical pregnancy to discuss next steps and informed me that I did not have a miscarriage, but a chemical pregnancy. The way he told me that made me feel awful. I felt like he could have explained the difference to me in a more gentle way. Dr. Alper is a very smart man and it showed during our conversations. I just feel like it wasn't a good match. Our personalities didn't work together. I needed more than just the facts during this financial and emotional roller coaster. Looking back at my experience with Dr. Alper, I wished I stood my ground and did what I felt was right for me instead of listening to others and thinking “I am new to this world of IVF and maybe this is just how it is.”
Be up front with him on what you need or want. Ask him if he can give you what you need/want. If not, find another doctor. Be your own advocate.
I felt like I was just a number to Dr. Alper. He was not very personable. When meeting or speaking with him about next steps, it always seemed like he was just taking a guess on what we should do next. It did not make me feel very comfortable with the financial and emotional burden for a "Well, maybe we should try this... no, I think I would like to try this instead..." On another note, Dr. Alper was my doctor who reviewed my progress and gave instructions for our plan forward, but he never did any of my egg retrieval or transfers. This was unexpected the first time going through the IVF process.
My treatment strategy was very different than most fertility patients Dr. Alper told me. I create too many follicles, so he wanted to start me on the lowest dosage of Gonal F he has prescribed. He started me on 150 units of Gonal F for the first few nights then lowered it down to 87.5 units for the reminder of injections. He lowered the dosage due to the fact that my hormone level was too high and they needed my eggs to develop more slowly. For this round of IVF they collected 20 eggs, 7 eggs were fertilized and 5 became embryos. The transfer was on day 3 and my remaining embryos did not make it to day 5 to freeze. For my second round of IVF, he prescribed 100 units of Gonal F due to the fact that my follicles grew too quickly last cycle. 10 eggs were collected, 5 fertilized and 4 were embryos. We transferred 2 embryos on day 3 due to the quality of my eggs and thinking they would not last until day 5. This would give them a better chance to survive. I did conceive this cycle, but ended with a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Del Signore)
My nurse was very friendly and compassionate. She was very kind and was always willing to help in any way she could. My only complaint was she was disorganized and when I would call or email her with questions or concerns, she didn't seem like she knew what she was talking about.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Being a new patient and extremely nervous of the unknown, I think the front desk could be a little more upbeat and friendly. The financial coordinator was at times hard to talk to due to her abruptness. She seemed annoyed at times when I would ask questions via phone. She was excellent when answering emails and would respond in a quick fashion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
Cost was around $8,900 for IVF, egg retrieval and transfer. The medication was separate. The medication cost around $2300. Cost was around $10,500 for IVF w/ICIS, egg retrieval and transfer. This cost was with a 25% discount through the clinic. The medication was around $2000.
South Portland

[Dr. Sneeringer] is incredibly caring, but also very straight forward. Most of our conversations involved laughter, honesty and she always clearly communicated with me what the next steps were...IVF can be brutal and Rita's wonderful personality, candid demeanor and sense of humor were a great reprieve from the hardships of IVF. I would highly recommend her to anyone!
Meg [nurse at Boston IVF] was terrible at returning phone calls, getting on the phone and she never explained anything. She just automatically assumed you knew what she was talking about. If i hadn't liked [Dr. Sneeringer] so much, i would have left BIVF...Egg donation coordinator is awful and so loud. You get a headache just trying tu talk to her. Financial coordinator is nice enough, but could user better organization skills. Other nursing staff, front desk lady we're all super nice.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Rita was a recommendation from a girlfriend of mine and I am so grateful that she passed along Rita's name. IVF can be brutal and Rita's wonderful personality, candid demeanor and sense of humor were a great reprieve from the hardships of IVF. I would highly recommend her to anyone!
Trust her
Rita is incredibly caring, but also very straight forward. Most of our conversations involved laughter, honesty and she always clearly communicated with me what the next steps were.
No clue
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg Kennedy)
Meg was terrible at returning phone calls, getting on the phone and she never explained anything. She just automatically assumed you knew what she was talking about. If i hadn't liked Rita so much, i would have left BIVF.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
First cycle covered by insurance. Donor cycle was OOO.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We wanted just one child, so we transferred one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Honestly, I've blocked most of it out to save my sanity. They need some better administrators in there though.