6.7

Westborough, MA 01580
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. David Ryley] was great, but I only met him once...The rest was executed by the Boston IVF operation...I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process...Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal
Scheduling was a challenge [at Boston IVF]...They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse).
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal, and my husband was treated as the free sperm donor. Dr. Ryley was great, but I only met him once. The rest was executed by the Boston IVF operation. Scheduling was a challenge. IVF is a timely matter. If you have a day job forget it. They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse). When I started to cry they told me to "stop crying." Then they say "in reality you could have had water up to 2 hours before, we just don't like to tell people that." Since the transfer I've been trying to get a copy of the results. They said they would email it and haven't. I've been trying for six weeks. I went in today for my first ultrasound to see the fetus. Due to Covid-19, they won't let my husband come with me. (For reference, all other hospitals and clinics in Boston allow 1 visitor by this time). I asked if I can FaceTime or video and they said no it's a "strict policy." I started crying telling them how hard, impersonal, and lonely this experience has been and how hard it is for me to even get documentation of my own medical records. They didn't care - they would barely let me even look at the ultrasound screen myself. When the nurse called me with the results she said "they should be able to let you FaceTime your husband; others have been doing that." To be fair, everyone is polite and I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
It is really hard to have a day job; during the cycle there will be no regard for your time. Boston IVF is an embryo farm. They'll get the job done, but be prepared to be treated like a number.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Overworked. I think as humans they genuinely care but are overworked so that they have to treat people as a number to get through the daily to-do list.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Stregths = experience. Weaknesses = operations and bedside manner. Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal, and my husband was treated as the free sperm donor. Scheduling was a challenge. IVF is a timely matter. If you have a day job forget it. They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse). When I started to cry they told me to "stop crying." Then they say "in reality you could have had water up to 2 hours before, we just don't like to tell people that." Since the transfer I've been trying to get a copy of the results. They said they would email it and haven't. I've been trying for six weeks. I went in today for my first ultrasound to see the fetus. Due to Covid-19, they won't let my husband come with me. (For reference, all other hospitals and clinics in Boston allow 1 visitor by this time). I asked if I can FaceTime or video and they said no it's a "strict policy." I started crying telling them how hard, impersonal, and lonely this experience has been and how hard it is for me to even get documentation of my own medical records. They didn't care - they would barely let me even look at the ultrasound screen myself. When the nurse called me with the results she said "they should be able to let you FaceTime your husband; others have been doing that." To be fair, everyone is polite and I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Very expensive, but insurance covered most.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Nurses are overworked. Getting the prescriptions was a mess - required me to make multiple phone calls to handhold the communications between Boston IVF and Avella pharmacy. They gave me conflicting information on surgery prep and clinic protocol. Didn't give clear instructions on administering hormones (i.e. what time); I asked very specific questions to get it based on research.
Boston

Dr. Ryley certainly knows what he's doing, so I really trusted him to manage my care. However, it was so hard to get an appointment and when I was with him, I always felt the ticking clock in the background. He would talk so fast and overwhelm me with information, so I never had time to fully process and formulate questions I wanted to ask. As a result, many questions went unanswered, which was very stressful and at times upsetting, especially when things did not go as expected during some of my treatment.
Jess was a fantastic nurse. She was the only person [at Boston IVF] I knew how to contact and would always respond to me in a timely manner with answers to my many questions...is a total factory: you just get on the conveyor belt and go. There's very little personal touch, and no one is going to hold your hand through the process. That said, they have this down to a science and it's very easy to get your monitoring appointments and results, medication shipped to you, etc. It's definitely a trade-off, but I would opt for a smaller clinic next time because the personal touch outweighs the efficiency for me.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Do not expect to have your hand held throughout this process. You will get very efficient, high quality care, but he is not there to guide you through it. Be your own advocate and go into each appointment prepared with questions and don't be afraid to take all the time you need with him, even if it feels like he's trying to rush you.
Dr. Ryley was always really great in our human interactions; however, I think Boston IVF on the whole treats its patients like numbers vs. humans. When I had logistical complications during my IVF cycle, there was literally no one I could reach out to who I felt would want to help me. Dr. Ryley is impossible to get an appointment with, so everything takes so much longer than it should. That said, Dr. Ryley was very straightforward with me about our odds and as a result I felt like I could really trust that he wasn't giving us false hope. He was very realistic but also very positive and encouraging. There were just so many times when we felt totally lost and alone in the process and wish we had gone to a smaller clinic for a more human touch.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My husband and I have unexplained infertility, so we started with 3 medicated IUIs (with Clomid days 3-7) and then moved on to IVF (Gonal-F, Menopur, and Cetrotide). All IUIs were unsuccessful. My IVF round led to only 5 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized, and 2 made it to day 5 blastocysts. One was transferred and one was frozen for later transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Young)
Jess was a fantastic nurse. She was the only person I knew how to contact and would always respond to me in a timely manner with answers to my many questions. I really appreciated her patience and organization when it came to managing my care through a very stressful process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a total factory: you just get on the conveyor belt and go. There's very little personal touch, and no one is going to hold your hand through the process. That said, they have this down to a science and it's very easy to get your monitoring appointments and results, medication shipped to you, etc. It's definitely a trade-off, but I would opt for a smaller clinic next time because the personal touch outweighs the efficiency for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
My IUI and IVF cycles were fully covered by my insurance, so I only had to pay for medication and appointment co-pays out of pocket. This wound up being maybe $300 for all 3 IUI cycles plus 1 IVF cycle.
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Ryley strongly advised we just transfer one embryo given my age.
Boston
As a patient I had very limited interactions with Dr. Wright. She did call after a cancelled cycle which I thought was appropriate. I did feel like the info structure as a whole was like an “IVF Farm” one in and one out. I had to be persistent if I felt something didn’t seem right...The best description I can give is that all my conversations with her were very transactional. Only when I pushed back or questioned something were changes made. I had to trust my instincts and question everything to have treatment adapted to me and my situation and not cookie cutter.
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] were very caring. Some days it took a while to call back; however, I feel that may have been more related to the whole system...Cancelled cycle was - 5,500 included retrieval but no transfer. Medication each cycle was 1,700...Strengths - open every day of the week, numerous locations, nursing staff Weaknesses - big clinic feel, you are a number and must advocate for yourself every step of the way if not you fall on the standard protocol which may not best for your body. It’s overwhelming and they move so fast by the time you are back in your car your head is spinning. Ask then to slow down and explain everything in detail. Ask lots of questions.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
As a patient I had very limited interactions with Dr. Wright. She did call after a cancelled cycle which I thought was appropriate. I did feel like the info structure as a whole was like an “IVF Farm” one in and one out. I had to be persistent if I felt something didn’t seem right. While Dr. Wright has done this hundreds of time it was my first time seeking IVF treatment so you have to advocate yourself.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Ask questions. A lot of questions. If the questions come later call and ask them. Don’t wait - this is your body and your potential child.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
2 cycles of an antagonist cycle, Gonal-F 300 iu, menapur 150iu - 225iu, then cetrotide for the last few days. Triggered with 10,000iu of HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Marianne)
The nursing staff were very caring. Some days it took a while to call back; however, I feel that may have been more related to the whole system.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
Lexington

I liked [Dr. David Ryley] but hated BostonIVF and because of a lot of errors. Each time Dr Ryley apologized for theses errors and told me that he couldn’t be with me each step of the way because of patient volume. He is a nice person but he is practicing in the wrong place... had a great bedside manner but BostonIVF is a large organization that doesn’t make patient individual care a priority. You see so many doctors and PAs that aren’t your direct care provider and it makes the process extremely hard and stressful to manage.
we found out they [Boston IVF] accidentally billed the wrong insurance and are refusing to take ownership and are trying to charge us over $15,000 for IVF and transfer when I had 2 insurances!!!! They do not document well and each department makes mistakes they cover up!...They do not internally communicate well and documentation is a problem...We had an early miscarriage and when we went for follow up, they found they had “lost” the other embryo in thaw. I was shocked and so upset they didn’t tell me and took the opportunity to discuss what we should have done during transfer.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I liked Dr Ryley but hated BostonIVF and because of a lot of errors. Each time Dr Ryley apologized for theses errors and told me that he couldn’t be with me each step of the way because of patient volume. He is a nice person but he is practicing in the wrong place.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do research and when things feel wrong or you think things are being handled poorly speak up. I felt I gave them so many times to mend relationships because of errors and felt like I had to stay with the practice but I was wrong! No one knows you like you do and you have to put yourself first! Leave and find a different practice if things aren’t right!!!
Dr Ryley had a great bedside manner but BostonIVF is a large organization that doesn’t make patient individual care a priority. You see so many doctors and PAs that aren’t your direct care provider and it makes the process extremely hard and stressful to manage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Heidi up front didn’t like me because I was a nurse and had very specific questions. I felt she would speak to me very poorly, not return my calls at times or call me right before leaving so if I missed her call I wouldn’t speak to her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They appeared from the outside that they were this amazing world class facility and I went to them because I thought I would be cared for. They do not internally communicate well and documentation is a problem.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There were multiple small errors that occurred during my time at BostonIVF but always seemed to catch them before being a problem myself. We did a FET has 2 PGS embryos. We were told on the day of transfer everything was perfect. We had struggled to develop a thick lining but my doctor stated because we would do a single transfer we could go ahead. We placed our embryo and knew we had one left frozen. We had an early miscarriage and when we went for follow up, they found they had “lost” the other embryo in thaw. I was shocked and so upset they didn’t tell me and took the opportunity to discuss what we should have done during transfer. They also couldn’t give me specifics about what happened that day and had no documentation. We left the practice after that. Then we found out they accidentally billed the wrong insurance and are refusing to take ownership and are trying to charge us over $15,000 for IVF and transfer when I had 2 insurances!!!! They do not document well and each department makes mistakes they cover up!
Boston

With genetic testing, Dr. Arroyo discouraged multiple embryo transfer...never knew my case prior to our meeting, was constantly re-asking me questions, etc...provided very few details about his treatment plan, would always speak very vaguely. He never included us in decision-making or made any adjustments to the standard care plan. His bedside manner was awkward and made me uncomfortable on many occasions...I did one egg retrieval with fertilized with frozen sperm and did genetic testing on the embryos. I can't remember the medications or doses. Though I remained on several through 10 weeks of pregnancy.
There were several points where my treatment was delayed or nearly delayed by 4-6 weeks due to poor communication on the clinic's [Boston IVF] part...When I was getting treatment, the clinic was newly-established. The clinic itself was mostly easy to navigate. One challenge is that (at least at the time that I was receiving treatment), there wasn't a large enough patient population to support an embryologist on-site. This meant needing to sync up cycles with all patients undergoing retrieval or transfer so that an embryologist could come from Boston and do all the procedures in a single week. This led to a prolonged course of treatment that I hadn't expected.
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Arroyo provided very few details about his treatment plan, would always speak very vaguely. He never included us in decision-making or made any adjustments to the standard care plan. His bedside manner was awkward and made me uncomfortable on many occasions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Use the nurses to your advantage in communicating with him. Make sure you keep asking questions until you get a satisfactory answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Arroyo never knew my case prior to our meeting, was constantly re-asking me questions, etc.
Describe the protocols Armando Arroyo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered most of my costs with the exception of genetic testing. I had some copays for procedures and office visits.
Describe Armando Arroyo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
With genetic testing, Dr. Arroyo discouraged multiple embryo transfer. I agreed with this decision.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There were several points where my treatment was delayed or nearly delayed by 4-6 weeks due to poor communication on the clinic's part.
Syracuse

He [Dr. Lannon] is willing to get into the nitty gritty details of the science of treatment, but also the emotional aspects. He takes your whole picture into account. Has a great and appropriate sense of humor. ... He is extremely available for questions at any time and goes to bat for you to try to make things go as smoothly as possible. He helps you think through all your options and the pros and cons without pressuring you one way or the other. I don't know if I could have keep going with treatment without his support.
The front office staff [At Boston IVF] is not particularly friendly and I had a few very non-compassionate interactions. If you are deviating from their usual protocols things might get messed up and you have to be on top of things for yourself. Timing of monitoring is not flexible but they did always get me in pretty early so I wasn't too late for work. The ultrasound techs rotate in and are not specific to the clinic, so they are very different in what they tell you about what they are seeing which I found stressful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
He was the second doctor I saw and changing to him made a huge difference. He is extremely available for questions at any time and goes to bat for you to try to make things go as smoothly as possible. He helps you think through all your options and the pros and cons without pressuring you one way or the other. I don't know if I could have keep going with treatment without his support.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Go in to the visit with all your questions written down, he will take the time to go through them all with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
He is willing to get into the nitty gritty details of the science of treatment, but also the emotional aspects. He takes your whole picture into account. Has a great and appropriate sense of humor.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Lannon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Still in the middle of treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara)
The nurses were ok, I feel they could have been more responsive and organized. There were multiple miscommunications and mix ups. I did not get much emotional support from them.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The front office staff is not particularly friendly and I had a few very non-compassionate interactions. If you are deviating from their usual protocols things might get messed up and you have to be on top of things for yourself. Timing of monitoring is not flexible but they did always get me in pretty early so I wasn't too late for work. The ultrasound techs rotate in and are not specific to the clinic, so they are very different in what they tell you about what they are seeing which I found stressful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF.
So far, about $20,000
South Portland
She [Dr. Luzzo] explained everything in great detail. She clearly knows her stuff. The amount of information delivered is however overwhelming, making it hard to retain. I also did not feel seen as a person as she seemed emotion-less, which probably had nothing to do with me but has made appointments a bit uncomfortable....She feels quite distant and lethargic. Little warmth. No apparent enthusiasm
Great location [Boston IVF - Providence]. Pleasant set-up. Very friendly front desk staff. Downside: Weekend coverage as well as sperm storage is at a different clinic or in Waltham, MA. Certain procedures are only in Waltham.... Wendy [nurse] seems to know a lot about infertility, IUIs and IVF procedures. She has also felt rather distant and unmotivated.... Regular IUI $450. Monitored IUI: $1050. unsure otherwise
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She explained everything in great detail. She clearly knows her stuff. The amount of information delivered is however overwhelming, making it hard to retain. I also did not feel seen as a person as she seemed emotion-less, which probably had nothing to do with me but has made appointments a bit uncomfortable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Do not expect warmth
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She feels quite distant and lethargic. Little warmth. No apparent enthusiasm
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Until now monitored IUI was recommended. Moving forward IVF is recommended due to unexplained infertility
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy seems to know a lot about infertility, IUIs and IVF procedures. She has also felt rather distant and unmotivated.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Great location. Pleasant set-up. Very friendly front desk staff. Downside: Weekend coverage as well as sperm storage is at a different clinic or in Waltham, MA. Certain procedures are only in Waltham.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Regular IUI $450. Monitored IUI: $1050. unsure otherwise
Providence

Be aware that he [Dr. Samuel Pang] has many patients. Always double check the dosage of medications that you should be taking- especially if it is a medication that could impact the success of implantation...is intelligent, but has far too many patients and cannot spend the time necessary to focus on each patient. I constantly felt like I was a number and did not feel like I got personal care for my case...I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication.
On more than one occasion [nurse at Boston IVF] was accusatory of me. The first time she said I didn't inform her or Dr. Pang about work travel- which I had with both of them. In the next instance she accused me of not taking my medications correctly- which I was; but the medical team never communicated to me that I should have changed my dosage....I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication... is run like a large corporation. They seem to care more about the number of patients than they do about how the patients are treated. I could not help but to feel they wanted to get the most cycles out of me as possible instead of having success early on.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pang is intelligent, but has far too many patients and cannot spend the time necessary to focus on each patient. I constantly felt like I was a number and did not feel like I got personal care for my case.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Be aware that he has many patients. Always double check the dosage of medications that you should be taking- especially if it is a medication that could impact the success of implantation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
After my last failed cycle Dr. Pang's nurse questioned if I was taking the correct dose of Levothyroxin. She told me I was taking the wrong dose; however, upon further inspection she confirmed nobody had told me to change my dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Butters)
On more than one occasion Lisa was accusatory of me. The first time she said I didn't inform her or Dr. Pang about work travel- which I had with both of them. In the next instance she accused me of not taking my medications correctly- which I was; but the medical team never communicated to me that I should have changed my dosage.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
BostonIVF is run like a large corporation. They seem to care more about the number of patients than they do about how the patients are treated. I could not help but to feel they wanted to get the most cycles out of me as possible instead of having success early on.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication. The nurse then accused me of either taking the medication incorrectly or not at the correct dosage. Neither of which was true- I was just never informed about the change in dosage- which the nurse later agreed with me on.
Samuel Pang
2019, Consult
The doctor [Dr. Armando Arroyo] never greeted me. Never asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Nor asked me questions about myself to understand who I was... didn't want to talk through anything at all. He signed me up for a list of over 30 tests. Most that either I had already had done...Never once did he ask if I had any questions or concerns. Just "see you in 6 weeks for your follow up" and ushered me into another room to talk to a financial adviser. I have NEVER left a doctor being so confused as to what was going on, and I was in tears. It was AWFUL. If you are a woman, who is looking for help, he is looking for money, he does not care about your well being at all.
[Boston IVF- Syracuse Center is] a homey feeling clinic...The receptionist didn't know anything, and took 10 minutes to check me in. It is near impossible to find the office as its inside a huge building and when you use your GPS, good luck getting there. and The receptionist when you call for help can't help at all...I was handed off like a package [by the nurse], one for my weight, one for the 50000 questions they ask you, then one who's job was to talk to me about how I am going to pay for it. She literally said "Well, everything will be billed to insurance, but we don't know what they will cover, and you will have to pay the rest." Which didn't help me at all.
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
I was sat down in Dr.Arroyo's office, and told that he would talk with me about everything. He said okay, you have PCOS. Great, your options are get pregnant or get on birth control. That was it. I tried to ask various questions about managing my hormone levels, and he brushed off the questions. I told him what my concerns were and he pretty much didn't care. He told me that it was what he planned or nothing. And didn't want to talk through anything at all. He signed me up for a list of over 30 tests. Most that either I had already had done, or were absolutely un-necessary, as validated by another doctor later. Never once did he ask if I had any questions or concerns. Just "see you in 6 weeks for your follow up" and ushered me into another room to talk to a financial adviser. I have NEVER left a doctor being so confused as to what was going on, and I was in tears. It was AWFUL. If you are a woman, who is looking for help, he is looking for money, he does not care about your well being at all.
RUN AWAY. FAR AWAY. Find another doctor.
The doctor never greeted me. Never asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Nor asked me questions about myself to understand who I was. He wanted to see how much money he could get out of me and that was it.
Dr. Arroyo wanted me to do 30 different blood tests, including genetics, STD (I have never had a positive pap in my life and had just had one done a few weeks earlier), wanted me to come and do about 6 different ultrasounds, and have my husband do a semen test. NONE of these were actually needed ( as told to me by my new doctor).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I was handed off like a package, one for my weight, one for the 50000 questions they ask you, then one who's job was to talk to me about how I am going to pay for it. She literally said "Well, everything will be billed to insurance, but we don't know what they will cover, and you will have to pay the rest." Which didn't help me at all.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Its a homey feeling clinic. You don't know what you're in for when you walk in. The receptionist didn't know anything, and took 10 minutes to check me in. It is near impossible to find the office as its inside a huge building and when you use your GPS, good luck getting there. and The receptionist when you call for help can't help at all.
I have no idea, because the financial person could not tell me what ANYTHING was going to cost. I thought I would walk away with an idea but nope. She didn't know and had nothing she could tell me, even with what my insurance would cover, even though the whole point of sending my insurance information in early was so that I could have an idea of the costs ahead of time.
Syracuse

He [Dr. Armando Arroyo] never knew our names and had the same exact meeting with us TWO times and didn't know it until my husband reminded him...He seemed like a nice enough guy and did explain things to us but he should have had a nurse in the office when he was explaining the plan to us because once we got outside his office everything was different...We were doing a few rounds of letrozole and trigger shots with relations then going to IUI.
once I tried to pay [at Boston IVF- THe Syracuse Center] and they told me I had no balance. When I left the office they called/emailed me IMMEDIATELY asking me to clear up my balance that didn't exist a few minutes earlier. If only they called with MEDICAL information as quickly as they called to collect money...Some [nurses] were very nice, some literally never spoke to me when doing 10+ minute ultrasounds. One nurse checked me in as the wrong patient and started a procedure on me as said patient!! I only found out because the doctor called me the wrong name!
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
I only met him twice but it took up a lot of my time for him to hold the same meeting with us two times to discuss the same thing. He seemed like a nice enough guy and did explain things to us but he should have had a nurse in the office when he was explaining the plan to us because once we got outside his office everything was different.
Go to CNY fertility instead.
He never knew our names and had the same exact meeting with us TWO times and didn't know it until my husband reminded him.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some were very nice, some literally never spoke to me when doing 10+ minute ultrasounds. One nurse checked me in as the wrong patient and started a procedure on me as said patient!! I only found out because the doctor called me the wrong name!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clean office but they only care about money, not patients. You're COD which is fine but once I tried to pay and they told me I had no balance. When I left the office they called/emailed me IMMEDIATELY asking me to clear up my balance that didn't exist a few minutes earlier. If only they called with MEDICAL information as quickly as they called to collect money.
Monitoring and bloodwork was $450/visit.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Mentioned the payment issues and incorrect patient issue on previous slides.

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
My treatment strategy was very different than most fertility patients Dr. Alper told me. I create too many follicles...I felt like I was just a number to Dr. Alper. He was not very personable. When meeting or speaking with him about next steps, it always seemed like he was just taking a guess on what we should do next. ... Our personalities didn't work together. I needed more than just the facts during this financial and emotional roller coaster.
Being a new patient and extremely nervous of the unknown, I think the front desk [Boston IVF] could be a little more upbeat and friendly. The financial coordinator was at times hard to talk to due to her abruptness. She seemed annoyed at times when I would ask questions via phone. She was excellent when answering emails and would respond in a quick fashion.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Meeting Dr. Alper for the first time was a quick 20 minute consult, which was surprising to me since we were paying a large sum out of pocket for this visit. He described the general process of IVF and said he would send the information to his nurse. I was really taken back by the lack of personality and how business like it was. I continued to get treatment with him as my doctor because it was convenient for my job and location. I thought maybe I was being too critical and my husband agreed. After the first round of IVF, the only time I spoke or met with Doctor Alper was our consult and the meeting after hearing we were not pregnant. This meeting was to go over the first round and our next steps. This meeting was about 20 minutes as well. I was disappointed that Dr. Alper was my doctor, but never did any of my egg retrievals or transfers. I was not informed by him that he would not be doing either procedure. For my second round of IVF he adjusted my medications and steps we would take to conceive. When it was time to transfer the embryos, he did listen to my husband and my opinion about transferring both embryos. We did conceive! Only to have a chemical pregnancy a couple weeks later. During that time, I worked with my nurse and another doctor in the office. I couldn't believe that my own doctor was not helping my husband and I through the difficult time. Dr. Alper did call a few weeks after my chemical pregnancy to discuss next steps and informed me that I did not have a miscarriage, but a chemical pregnancy. The way he told me that made me feel awful. I felt like he could have explained the difference to me in a more gentle way. Dr. Alper is a very smart man and it showed during our conversations. I just feel like it wasn't a good match. Our personalities didn't work together. I needed more than just the facts during this financial and emotional roller coaster. Looking back at my experience with Dr. Alper, I wished I stood my ground and did what I felt was right for me instead of listening to others and thinking “I am new to this world of IVF and maybe this is just how it is.”
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Be up front with him on what you need or want. Ask him if he can give you what you need/want. If not, find another doctor. Be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
I felt like I was just a number to Dr. Alper. He was not very personable. When meeting or speaking with him about next steps, it always seemed like he was just taking a guess on what we should do next. It did not make me feel very comfortable with the financial and emotional burden for a "Well, maybe we should try this... no, I think I would like to try this instead..." On another note, Dr. Alper was my doctor who reviewed my progress and gave instructions for our plan forward, but he never did any of my egg retrieval or transfers. This was unexpected the first time going through the IVF process.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My treatment strategy was very different than most fertility patients Dr. Alper told me. I create too many follicles, so he wanted to start me on the lowest dosage of Gonal F he has prescribed. He started me on 150 units of Gonal F for the first few nights then lowered it down to 87.5 units for the reminder of injections. He lowered the dosage due to the fact that my hormone level was too high and they needed my eggs to develop more slowly. For this round of IVF they collected 20 eggs, 7 eggs were fertilized and 5 became embryos. The transfer was on day 3 and my remaining embryos did not make it to day 5 to freeze. For my second round of IVF, he prescribed 100 units of Gonal F due to the fact that my follicles grew too quickly last cycle. 10 eggs were collected, 5 fertilized and 4 were embryos. We transferred 2 embryos on day 3 due to the quality of my eggs and thinking they would not last until day 5. This would give them a better chance to survive. I did conceive this cycle, but ended with a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Del Signore)
My nurse was very friendly and compassionate. She was very kind and was always willing to help in any way she could. My only complaint was she was disorganized and when I would call or email her with questions or concerns, she didn't seem like she knew what she was talking about.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Being a new patient and extremely nervous of the unknown, I think the front desk could be a little more upbeat and friendly. The financial coordinator was at times hard to talk to due to her abruptness. She seemed annoyed at times when I would ask questions via phone. She was excellent when answering emails and would respond in a quick fashion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
Cost was around $8,900 for IVF, egg retrieval and transfer. The medication was separate. The medication cost around $2300. Cost was around $10,500 for IVF w/ICIS, egg retrieval and transfer. This cost was with a 25% discount through the clinic. The medication was around $2000.
South Portland

[Dr. Wright] clearly had years of experience behind her, which was helpful and reassuring. And she was not condescending in our discussions...The down side to the experience with Wright is that at a few points, I decided that the recommended approach would not be enough.This example occurred when, after 2 failed IUI cycles, she recommended a third and I just didn't see how the third would yield any different result.
The clinic [IVF New England] in Waltham is accessible, clean, safe and secure. I felt the doctors and nurses were attentive and personal, and made every attempt to make me comfortable. I had several tests performed here (HSG, sonohysterogram, and IVF extraction), and they were done smoothly and quickly...I often got a call in the afternoon after lab results were available. The nurses were direct but compassionate, especially Nicki. There were a few times where either the nurses or the pharmacies would get the medication quantities wrong, and that led to out of pocket expenses which were infuriating. For the most part though, I was happy with the nursing team response.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Kristen Wright was more relatable than other doctors in New England IVF, but she spoke matter-of-factly and took the factors of my fertility challenges into account. Wright clearly had years of experience behind her, which was helpful and reassuring. And she was not condescending in our discussions, as some other doctors have been in the past. The down side to the experience with Wright is that at a few points, I decided that the recommended approach would not be enough. This example occurred when, after 2 failed IUI cycles, she recommended a third and I just didn't see how the third would yield any different result. I also often had to follow up our visits with online research to better understand the recommended treatments and the process, as doctors don't often have time to show patients all of the steps in the process. I also didn't always know the timeline for the various treatment approaches. One IUI cycle is straight forward, but the IVF process is more convoluted and often requires many weeks of insurance approvals, so there were frequently longer than expected stretches of time between treatments.
Do your reading offline after consultations and follow up visits, and ensure you are informed on the treatments so there are no surprises. Be direct and get as much information as you can about the timelines for treatment and what is involved in getting insurance approvals.
Dr. Wright addressed all of my and my husband's questions, but she was perfunctory and with minimal emotion. I felt like her office took our situation as a unique case, rather than as one of many routines, but I did sometimes feel like I had to advocate for myself and my combination of factors in order to get a good recommendation that was not generic.
1. Rounds of pre-treatment testing and genetic testing, these were expensive and tough to schedule around my travel, but we completed this in a few months. 2. IUI - I performed two rounds of this treatment, using Letrozol as a trigger around days 14 of my cycle. This required monitoring of my bloodwork and ultrasound results every other day over the course of approximately 2 weeks. This was unsuccessful. 3. Egg retrieval - I used Gonal F, Cetrotide and Lupron as trigger during this time. The egg retrieval yielded 42 eggs, of which 25 fertilized, and ultimately 7 embryos were preserved. I was expecting a transfer but given my response to the retrieval, the decision was made to make this a freezing cycle. I will perform the transfer in a few months.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic in Waltham is accessible, clean, safe and secure. I felt the doctors and nurses were attentive and personal, and made every attempt to make me comfortable. I had several tests performed here (HSG, sonohysterogram, and IVF extraction), and they were done smoothly and quickly.
Genetic testing - $400 for husband, $700 for me Each ultrasound appointment was around $400, and ~50% was covered by my insurance. IUI medication - $100 out of pocket IVF process - $7,500 of my lifetime maximum under United Health insurance, and additional $750 out of pocket. For medication, each Gonal F pen was $750 at Village Fertility Pharmacy (and a whopping $1,300 at CVS specialty care), various other medication totaled $2,500 in sum. Embryo Freezing - $1200 for first 3 months, $85 per month following Embryo Transfer - Expected to be around $1,000 per attempt
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I am Type I diabetic and it was not an option for me to receive a multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
For my second IUI cycle, I was to receive a double dose of medication and the clinic failed to call it in to the pharmacy, so I only received half the dosage initially. For my egg retrieval, the communication with the pharmacy was off, and I did not receive any medication the day I was scheduled to start. There were a lot of phone calls trying to rectify the mistake, and I ended up driving to several pharmacies to pick up meds. The saving grace was a nurse named Barbara, who ended up staying late at the clinic in New Hampshire to hold a donated medication pen to give me so that I could start a cycle on time and not need to wait an extra month.
North Chelmsford

Dr Alper is very knowledgeable and well recognized for fertility treatment. I have experienced two miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy and did not receive much compassion about this, although he provided me with factual and realistic information in regards to these occurrences. In my circumstances, he seemed to be very focused on the medical and scientific aspect of the treatment and did not seem to give any sympathy to my losses, which was hard for me. He provided me with very detailed and accurate information in regards to my procedures and what to expect.
Clinic [Boston IVF-South Portland] was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
If you are looking for bedside manner and emotional support through the process, I would recommend looking for a different provider
During my continued treatment, I have had a number of misfortunes; such as two chemical pregnancies and one ectopic pregnancy resulting in the removal of my fallopian tubes. I have had a number of diagnostic tests done and although I have follow ups to review the results, at my next visit, the Doctor suggesting testing that has already been completed and reviewed. This makes it seem as though he does not remember my case or take the time to review my file before my appointments.
When I started working with Dr Alper, I had already completed 5 failed IUI cycles with my OB/GYN. Dr Alper completed all of the initial testing and stated that I was young and healthy and there was no reason that In-Vitro should not work. He determined that one of my fallopian tubes appeared to be blocked but we would be bypassing that with the in-vitro so there was no need to worry. During my first in-vitro cycle I took the injectable medications during the initial egg retrieval process. I had 15 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized, and one embryo transferred in a fresh cycle. After the embryo transfer, I was put on progesterone gel once time daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test, rising HCG until around 6 weeks and then miscarriage. Once my HCG level returned to 0, we completed a thaw cycle. This time after transfer I was put on progesterone suppository three times daily, estrogen patch that was changed 2 times a week, and estrogen pill two times daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with rising HCG until around 6 weeks with miscarriage. After this, Dr Alper did antibody testing, imaging of the lining of my uterus, and a biopsy of the lining of my uterus; all of these tests came back normal so Dr Alper approved another thaw cycle. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with HGC levels that were not rising appropriately. I was treated for ectopic, my HCG levels lowered, but it resulted in a hematoma in my fallopian tube, hemorrhage with internal bleeding, and I had both of my fallopian tubes removed as there was a cyst in my other tube. Still Dr Alper feels hopeful for a healthy pregnancy, although I am not feeling so optimistic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbra Delsignore)
Slow in returning phone calls with important results
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clinic was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
My initial in vitro cycle with egg retrieval was 8,900 dollars and an additional 2500 for my injectable medications. When I used progesterone gel, this was 300 dollars for 2 weeks worth. My first thaw cycle was 3500 plus costs of medications, and my third thaw cycle was 4000 plus costs of medication. I had all of my monitoring ultrasounds and blood work done at a hospital that was more convenient for me, so this was an additional cost in my treatment.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
After my two miscarriages and ectopic pregnancy, Dr Alper approved to transfer 2 embryos at next transfer if this is what I wish to do.

2014 - 2018, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Kuohung] was candid and professional but she handed off most of her tasks to her nurses. I only saw her to sign consent forms and she only called me to give me results after my cycle failed. However, she was prompt in answering questions over email when I felt that the nurses were not responding to me..The doctor also did not spend time walking me through the protocol. When it failed, she tried to hurry me into starting another cycle. I felt like it was just about generating more sales for them.
Boston IVF looks like it was just starting out. It’s office was under construction when I visited and their nurses were not organized at all. I got mixed answers when I called. I had to call to ask them when I could start because no one had gotten back to me... One nurse told me one thing while another told me different so I had to request that they provide me patient education and a treatment plan. When they had to double my dose, one of the nurses was nice enough to put aside samples for me so that I would have enough medication but I felt like I should never have been put in that situation in the first place. They didnt prompt me ahead of time to know what to expect, I had to ask if I knew.
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Wendy was candid and professional but she handed off most of her tasks to her nurses. I only saw her to sign consent forms and she only called me to give me results after my cycle failed. However, she was prompt in answering questions over email when I felt that the nurses were not responding to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Ask a lot of questions and talk through the regimen with her as sometimes the nurses give mixed responses
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
I had a great experience the first time around with New England IVF. After Boston IVF acquired them and since I moved, it was more difficult to get answers to my questions. The nurses didn’t spend as much time explaining next steps and I had to ask them to go over all the details with me mid cycle after I felt that I was getting mixed messages. The doctor also did not spend time walking me through the protocol. When it failed, she tried to hurry me into starting another cycle. I felt like it was just about generating more sales for them.
Describe the protocols Wendy Kuohung used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
The first cycle was Gonal F and then crinone after the transfer. It resulted in 7 follicles, then 3 embryos, 1 transferred and 2 frozen. I had 1 live birth. A couple years later, only one frozen embryo was viable and transferred. I used progesterone in oil at the time and disliked this regimen. Had I known that I had a choice, I would have picked the crinone but it was not discussed with me. This transfer failed. I went back a year later to start a fresh cycle and was put on follistem and lupron. I was not responding and my dose was doubled mid cycle. They had to freeze my cycle after the retrieval which obtained only 3 follicles. Only 1 follicle moves onto the embryo stage. They waited a few days to freeze it but unfortunately it did not make it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The first time I did it, was ha nurses at New England IVF walked me through each detail. The second time around Boston IVF did not do any patient education but just told me to watch videos online. I also didn’t know I had a choice between crinone or progesterone otherwise I would have definitely picked the crinone. The third time, the care just got worse. The nurses told me different things and no one got back to me to start the cycle, I had to call and ask them to start. One nurse told me one thing while another told me different so I had to request that they provide me patient education and a treatment plan. When they had to double my dose, one of the nurses was nice enough to put aside samples for me so that I would have enough medication but I felt like I should never have been put in that situation in the first place. They didnt prompt me ahead of time to know what to expect, I had to ask if I knew.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
We experienced issues with our insurance denying some services because paperwork was filed incorrectly. That caused delays and it made me nervous how much we were going to have to pay. When I needed more medication, I wondered if it was due to the nurses incompetence because it took me a week to get more medicine. I Also ended up paying for medicines which I did not use because my embryo did not make it to transfer. Had I been told what medicines to get when, I would not have gotten them
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My husband gave the receptionist consent forms which were lost and found days later. When I needed medication, they told me they had to wait for insurance to authorize it which took a week but I wonder if it was a delay on their part as well. They told me conflicting messages about my treatment regimen, when to start and how much. When I had questions, sometimes they needed clarification and had to call me back with a response
Wendy Kuohung

Embryo Freezing
Dr Rylely himself was pleasant, but he never left me with any notes to take home. I always left feeling like I had missed something because he said so many new things and just expected me to understand what was happening or what to do next...He's a decent doctor but it hardly matters; what you need as a patient is a good billing specialist and good nursing staff. Dr. Ryley has neither.
It took 6 months to get to the egg retrieval process because communication [at Boston IVF] is just so bad. By time I was ready to start my meds, I decided to switch clinics...The nursing and administrative staff is terrible. There were repeated clerical errors - wrong birth dates, lost vials, etc. For example, I had blood drawn 3 times for diagnostics because they kept forgetting to test me for things or insisted on testing me for things I already knew I had (e.g. I knew I had sickle cell trait, but they insisted on testing me, even though I had my test results forwarded form another doctor). It's impossible to get a hold of a person by calling. You always have to wait for them to call you back and they call whenever they feel like it. At some point I was waiting for probes to be made for PGD testing. They said they would call me when they were ready to proceed and that it usually takes 1-2 months for the probes to be made. After 2 months, I called them. They said "Oh, they've been ready for a month; you should have received a call".
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
The nursing and administrative staff is terrible. There were repeated clerical errors - wrong birth dates, lost vials, etc. For example, I had blood drawn 3 times for diagnostics because they kept forgetting to test me for things or insisted on testing me for things I already knew I had (e.g. I knew I had sickle cell trait, but they insisted on testing me, even though I had my test results forwarded form another doctor). It's impossible to get a hold of a person by calling. You always have to wait for them to call you back and they call whenever they feel like it. At some point I was waiting for probes to be made for PGD testing. They said they would call me when they were ready to proceed and that it usually takes 1-2 months for the probes to be made. After 2 months, I called them. They said "Oh, they've been ready for a month; you should have received a call". Literally you are on your own with these people. It took 6 months to get to the egg retrieval process because communication is just so bad. By time I was ready to start my meds, I decided to switch clinics. I just couldn't deal with BIVF.
I didn't get to this point. Right after I was prescribed Gonal-F along with other things and 2 days before I was supposed to start them, I switched clinics.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Terrible. They never answer the phone. You're always sent to voicemail. They call back about half of the time. If you request to be called back at a specific time, they don't call you back at all. There was an issue with the lab where they couldn't find my medical records for Boston IVF. We eventually realized it was because BIVF had inputted the wrong birth date. I had my blood drawn repeatedly during the diagnostic phase because they kept forgetting stuff or refused to consult my medical records. They also referred me to a genetics counselor that was out of network. Getting that bill in the mail was great. It took me 6 months, from August to February to actually get to the point where I could start the fertility meds/injections. They're also pretty grouchy when you call.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I had an issue with insurance where Boston IVF outright lied and said my insurance would cover PGD testing. There was a lot of back and forth where they said my insurance company said they would cover it and I called my insurance and they said they were waiting on medical documents from Boston IVF. I asked them if they could give me a note in writing saying that it was covered, but of course they couldn't/wouldn't. In the end, my claim was denied by my insurance and I had to come $5,000 out of pocket. I'm not even mad, I expected this from their staff because they're egregiously impatient, overbooked, and too busy to deal with their patients. When I switched clinics, they told me it would take up to 10 business days to have my records transferred over. On the 11th business day, they still hadn't sent it over. When I called, they said "they had sent them over a week ago, but they would try again". For some reason, it went through the second time. I'm 100% sure they didn't try to send it a first time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I had insurance and did not complete my cycle
Brighton

Dr. Thornton was kind and somewhat compassionate. If I was down about a high FSH she reminded me it wasn't that high (11). She is straight to the point though, she isn't really going to coddle you. After my first round of treatment only resulted in 2 dominant follicles and I was converted to an IUI, she asked me if I ever considered donor eggs. I was really disappointed that was discussed so quickly, but she was being real with me I guess. She agreed to change the protocol and move forward if I only had one follicle next time. Unfortunately that cycle was cancelled when they went in to retrieve and found no follicles, they assume I prematurely ovulated.
Boston IVF has its good and its bad points. They service a TON of patients and its easy to get lost in the shuffle, but I do feel the nurses and staff in Waltham care about the patients and want us to succeed. The downside to the high volume is not getting much for personal care because your doctor is too busy to really be adjusting protocols or meeting with you personally. I also didn't love that they aren't much into research... other websites for clinics have studies and videos and information for patients. I felt like Boston IVF was like the Costco of reproduction, and you are fortunate to be successful if you have only a small issue to work through or try enough times. Anyone with specific issues that need special attention or outside the box thinking would probably do better elsewhere.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be prepared going in. Dr. Thornton goes over things for sure, but there is a lot of information out there and questions you should be asking of any doctor. If she hesitates on proceeding, keep in mind that it is your choice and your body and don't give up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
My husband and I met with Dr. Thornton once, and I met with her once alone. She was always very nice and explained things in a way my husband liked, as her undergrad is in chemical engineering as is his. She seemed confident that I would be successful, and she explained the process well with pictures, etc. However, past those meetings I have felt like any other patient being pushed through the clinic. Three times a nurse told me to take a medication I didn't have (the insurance sometimes sends Cetritide but I had Ganirelix, and the insurance sometimes sends Gonal F, but I had Follistim) so it felt like no one was even reading my chart before speaking to me. After my second fail (premature ovulation prior to retrieval) I didn't receive a follow up call from the clinic to schedule a follow-up and next steps. I don't know if Dr. Thornton cares if I come back to Boston IVF ever, she likely has enough other 'numbers' to deal with.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 - Day 3 start, 450 iu Follistim, low dose HCG; Day 5 Ganirelix, up to 600 iu Follistim, low dose HCG. One decent follicle, one smaller - converted to IUI. Ovidrel shot. BFN Cycle 2 - Ganirelix and Estrogen patch prior to cycle start, Day 3 450 iu Follistim, 150 iu Menupur; Day 9 Ganirelix, Follistim same, and Menupur same. Day 11 had two dominant follicles and some smaller ones starting. Pregnyl shot, retrieval 36 hours later showed no follicles. Was instructed to go home and have sex (not sure why they didn't do an IUI at that point)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
I was so very NOT a fan of Dawn (Worcester office only) that I asked to be switched to a nurse out of the Waltham office. She lacks compassion as well as a knowledge of what she should say to a patient vs. what the doctor should be communicating. Abbey and Sonya (Dr. Thornton's other nurses) in Waltham are excellent though. The nursing staff in Waltham overall has been incredible - everyone you meet from the time you walk in, get blood taken, ultrasound, checked in for surgery, etc - they are SOOOOO great. They see your eyes start to tear and they always have tissues. I had to visit Waltham on Mothers Day for an ultrasound and they had a big bucket of roses and a sign that said "thinking of you all today and everyday" and I lost it. So touching. They are A+++++. In Waltham.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Pretty much 100% insurance paid after deductible. I think we paid $150 for one medication through Village Pharmacy. My scripts cost me a small co-pay (like $30) but the 'real' price was $15,000 just for the drugs! Phew!
Worcester

[Dr. Isaac Glasteing is a] Very knowledgeable doctor who wants to find out what the problem is, come up with the best plan accordingly for a positive outcome. He is very facts and stats mind set. He answered all of our questions without making us feel overwhelmed.
They [IVF New England- Lexington] are hard to get ahold of. They primary nurse you speak to us good he was super helpful and didn’t make you feel like you should know all of this brand new information and drugs. The nurses you see daily however really could use a reminder that they are there to be apart of a beautiful experience. Very negative interactions. Horrible at drawing blood.
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
If you want the best doctor to get you a positive outcome he’s your doctor. If you’re looking for a bit more of handholding he’s not for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
I felt he was very “matter a fact “. Which did work for us. We didn’t need to be coddled. We knew what was wrong and we wanted the facts of how we were going to fix it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Feel like with how much you interact with the nurses this is where I thought patents would get more compassion. You see them daily. They should be more friendly. I can’t tell you how many blood draws I’d go in where the nurse smelt of fresh smoked cigarettes. It was disgusting yet here she is trying to draw blood. Also, they 100% need more training on how to actually draw blood. I left there covered in bruises every single time.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are hard to get ahold of. They primary nurse you speak to us good he was super helpful and didn’t make you feel like you should know all of this brand new information and drugs. The nurses you see daily however really could use a reminder that they are there to be apart of a beautiful experience. Very negative interactions. Horrible at drawing blood.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There was a lack of communication during our egg retrieval. No one informed us of over stimulation. They just kept saying the odds were so slim. However I ended up in the hospital for a week due to being overstimulated. Which resulted in cancelling the fresh transfer and waiting months to get a frozen transfer. I understand things happen. But I wish I had more support after this did happen also wish I had more information.
Isaac Glatstein
Lexington

We met with him [Dr. Toth] 3-4 times throughout our treatment...during the treatment process we most definitely felt like a number. We only heard from Dr. Toth when we made an appointment and visited the office. He never reached out in any other manner...And in a frustrating way he always reminded us that we were lucky to have one child and to focus on that fact as things progressed. We know we are lucky, but that didn't make it any easier to go through this process.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] provided very little information, usually without any context. For example one cycle we were unable to move forward with an IUI because of an "ovarian cyst", the nurse was unable to explain why it was a problem or what we should do about it. The location is Waltham is enormous, and very impersonal...Nicole [nurse] was wonderful to work with. She was easy to be in touch with and always advocating for us. We saw and heard from many nurses in addition to Nicole, for the most part they were good, however since we didn't see anyone regularly outside of Nicole it was mostly impersonal experiences.
How was your experience with Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Dr. Toth was warm and caring. He seemed engaged in our conversations and always wanted to know how we were doing and what was going on in our lives. However, we never heard from him unless we proactively made an appointment to see him in his office. While he was realistic about our chances of becoming pregnant, he never offered any guidance (like diet or lifestyle) outside of ambiguous medical information. And in a frustrating way he always reminded us that we were lucky to have one child and to focus on that fact as things progressed. We know we are lucky, but that didn't make it any easier to go through this process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Advocate for yourself. Make sure you have a way to hear from and contact Dr. Toth along the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Dr Toth was so warm and caring. We met with him 3-4 times throughout our treatment. However, during the treatment process we most definitely felt like a number. We only heard from Dr. Toth when we made an appointment and visited the office. He never reached out in any other manner. The nurses provided very little information, usually without any context. For example one cycle we were unable to move forward with an IUI because of an "ovarian cyst", the nurse was unable to explain why it was a problem or what we should do about it. The location is Waltham is enormous, and very impersonal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Nicole was wonderful to work with. She was easy to be in touch with and always advocating for us. We saw and heard from many nurses in addition to Nicole, for the most part they were good, however since we didn't see anyone regularly outside of Nicole it was mostly impersonal experiences.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF has done wonderful things for so many families. It's a huge facility/network with so many doctors and resources. However, it's very easy to feel like a number. The location in Waltham is huge and hard to navigate. It feels more like a factory than a doctor's office. It made us feel very uneasy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Toth at Boston IVF.
We were lucky that insurance covered a significant portion of our treatments.
Thomas Toth

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Brian Berger is a] Nice enough doctor, but hardly actually see him. The IUI procedures are even performed in another office, and are performed by staff from that office. Have had maybe 2 in person visits with him, and one or two phone consults...Of the numerous IUI cycles, only one egg fertilized, but it was a biochemical pregnancy, and what I thought was just a heavy period was apparently actually miscarrying at not even a full 4 weeks. I'm turning 43 in a matter of weeks and am super frustrated with the fact that after so much time, money, stress and tears, I still have no children.
A couple of times I wasn't called back with next step instructions [at Boston IVF] when I was supposed to be, despite my calling the office repeatedly, and both times that happened, it wound up being a canceled cycle. I still wonder if it is because they screwed up and I didn't get the instructions properly...Let's just say that, for the 7 or 8 IUI attempts we tried, I maxed out 3 credit cards...Theyre often very, very behind schedule. Have sat in the waiting room for over an hour before being called in. The woman who does the blood draws is absolutely fabulous, though. Im a tough draw, my veins like to roll away and hide, but she can always manage to get one to cooperate.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
You may get frustrated with the entire clinic.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some were great. One older woman does NOT belong working there. No empathy at all. I wish I'd written down her name to be more specific. Made an already heartbreaking day worse.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A couple of times I wasn't called back with next step instructions when I was supposed to be, despite my calling the office repeatedly, and both times that happened, it wound up being a canceled cycle. I still wonder if it is because they screwed up and I didn't get the instructions properly and threw off what should have happened w
Brian Berger
South Shore
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles...he had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
Diagnostic testing [at Boston IVF] that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs)... I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring...it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Penzias seemed to be very knowledgeable and had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
For the first 75% of my cycle I was under the care of a rotating stream of nurses. I would get monitoring result and other related calls from a different person each day, and they were not always on the same page. Some of the nurses were very nice and some were curt. I'm not sure if this was sorted out and they now have 1 dedicated nurse for Dr Penzias, but the rotating care was frustrating since i had to re-explain a concern or re-ask a question constantly to different people.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles (he gave us the choice of IUI vs just timed relations each month - we did the latter due to our travel schedule) before we moved on to IVF. I was on standard Gonal F, ovidril, cetratide prior to egg retrieval and then progesterone in oil prior to embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
The latter reviews for primary nurse are specifically for Sara and Ashley. In the first portion of my time with Dr Penzias I was treated by a rotating schedule of nurses which was frustrating. But when Sara was working she was very attentive, compassionate, super responsive and helpful and then when Ashley took over she was also amazing.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Even though Boston IVF Waltham is a large center, it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there. If you can look past these administrative issues, I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Our insurance ended up covering our IVF cycle, but we were quoted about 15k for the cycle. Diagnostic testing that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs).
Alan S. Penzias
Waltham
Dr Luzzo appears knowledgeable but also to be going through the motions at times with not a lot of compassion or concern. At times, I felt like I had to advocate for myself and do my own research and then ask about things. She tended to talk fast and made me feel rushed.... I have had 3 IUIs. The first was with 50mg Clomid and the next two we bumped up to 100mg. I asked to use progesterone suppositories after the first IUI due to my short cycle length. I did OPK the first cycle. Then I missed my surge one month. The
One aspect which is frustrating is that sperm is stored at another office and you have to pick it up in the day of the IUI and bring it to this clinic [Boston IVF]. Also, the nurse who does the IUIs has been out a lot and in those situations, you speak to a nurse at the Boston office who are not very familiar with the Providence location. The office staff are very nice overall - the people who answer the phone, the phlebotomist, etc. the office is small and can feel crowded in the morning when you come for lab work.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to advocate and speak up
The initial appointment I felt very rushed and as though Dr. Luzzo was just giving a spiel she had given 1,000 with very little affect or interest. My two follow up appointments have been a little better - still not a lot of emotion and feeling a bit rushed along.
I have had 3 IUIs. The first was with 50mg Clomid and the next two we bumped up to 100mg. I asked to use progesterone suppositories after the first IUI due to my short cycle length. I did OPK the first cycle. Then I missed my surge one month. The next two IUIs I did blood test monitoring only to detect my surge. I am in the two week wait now after my third IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy has been responsive when I reach out but is not in the office very much. Also, she doesn’t always seem to remember my situation which can be frustrating. I have also had to remind her about calling in prescriptions and such for me. It has been a bit stressful at times.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
One aspect which is frustrating is that sperm is stored at another office and you have to pick it up in the day of the IUI and bring it to this clinic. Also, the nurse who does the IUIs has been out a lot and in those situations, you speak to a nurse at the Boston office who are not very familiar with the Providence location. The office staff are very nice overall - the people who answer the phone, the phlebotomist, etc. the office is small and can feel crowded in the morning when you come for lab work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Most was out of pocket IUI is about $450
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I have had issues with not getting results, office not communicating with another office that had to do my IUI when clinic nurse was out, as well as prescriptions not being called in and overall poor communication at times about treatment plan.
Providence
I would say that he [Dr. Benjamin Lannon] should maybe do blood tests of the female to really check hormonal levels prior to jumping into IUI and other fertility treatments...He mentioned doing an HSG first then from there doing IUI’s for as many rounds as we wanted depending on if my tubes were found to be open. If that didn’t work, then he recommended Clomid IVF where they monitor my follicles and only remove 2 mature eggs and fertilize them and then implant them back into my body. He understood we do not feel right doing General IVF.
Some [nurses at Boston IVF] were rushed but we had one great nurse that we chatted with on the phone when we needed bloodwork for our pregnancy...Consolation was $250-$300...Ultrasound for miscarriage was $350-400...he was open to what we wanted but felt at least 2 embryos transferred were best in order to boost...chances...They were great about getting us in quickly and great to talk with. The secretary’s could be a bit more understanding of the patients fear and having lots of questions about the paperwork. Great company
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannister’s was gentle and kind. Though he felt that us not getting pregnant on 4 rounds of clomid was an orange flag and not a red flag, he didn’t take the time to explain why. He was organized and very kind but never thought to test my hormones or my thyroid. I felt that he was the same as my PCP and OB in that sense. Jumping right into IUI or clomid IVF is intense and may not be necessary if all other body parts are working. (Fallopian tubes) ext. We did get pregnant on our own only to miscarry after our first consultation. But he said if we weren’t pregnant in 6 months to call him to start IUI. So we left feeling like we were broken and not heard and pushed into treatment even though we conceived on our own. Over all he’s kind, not rushed, and understands that we don’t want to be there for help as we want to do it naturally but have no other option. But he gets that bedside manner is important and that it is a huge leap of faith. I do recommend him!
I would say that he should maybe do blood tests of the female to really check hormonal levels prior to jumping into IUI and other fertility treatments. Obviously doing this after the males sperm has been tested first.
He took the time with us to answer all questions. He gently explained things. Though he did good, we left feeling that there wasn’t enough testing done in order to confirm his plan was right for us. But he was kind and understanding and willing to listen to us.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some were rushed but we had one great nurse that we chatted with on the phone when we needed bloodwork for our pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Consolation was $250-$300. Not covered by insurance. Ultrasound for miscarriage was $350-400.
Describe Benjamin Lannon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
No, he was open to what we wanted but felt at least 2 embryos transferred were best in order to boost purchases chances.
South Portland

Dr. Bayer is extremely nice, however, most of my contact is with his nursing staff. The nurses are not very forthcoming with information and it appears Dr. Bayer is not very involved in my case as I have only spoken to him once, which includes my initial consultation. Our second meeting I had to initiate on the advice of a friend, due to the number of unanswered questions I had....Each insemination was $450, which is performed by a nurse. I was offered a "trigger shot" last minute, with no explanation of its purpose or benefits, at the cost of $650...Three natural cycles and three cycles with medication.
Boston IVF has a lot of availability, which is helpful for scheduling. However, you have minimal contact with the providers on your case. The facilities are well maintained, but I feel they are more interested in finding ways to bill me, than helping me conceive....Important details about my test results and how it affects my treatment plan was not disclosed in a timely manner....Staff was only forthcoming about how much they were going to bill me. Otherwise, treatment and results were vaguely explained. I seek most of my information elsewhere, which is extremely frustrating.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to be in the dark and spend a lot of money.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Three natural cycles and three cycles with medication.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Always polite, but not forthcoming with information about procedures or treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
My two office visits with the doctor were covered by my insurance, except for my co-pays. Each insemination was $450, which is performed by a nurse. I was offered a "trigger shot" last minute, with no explanation of its purpose or benefits, at the cost of $650.
Steven Bayer
Boston

I did not find Dr. Thornton to be a caring physician. She did not take the time to answer our questions or to fully explain everything that was going on. I always felt rushed and that I was taking up her time.... Dr. Thornton did not order the full panel of tests that our current RE ordered. I found out through my current RE that I have a thyroid issue that requires me to take medication. Dr. Thornton also did not give me proper instructions on how to take a supplement she advised me to take.
I felt very rushed at my appointments.... The clinic [Boston IVF] is incredibly large and you often feel like a number and feel rushed. There are ample physicians if you wish to get a second opinion within the same clinic.... I did not find Dr. Thornton to be a caring physician. She did not take the time to answer our questions or to fully explain everything that was going on. I always felt rushed and that I was taking up her time.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Do not go to her. Find a different provider or clinic.
I felt very rushed at my appointments.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is incredibly large and you often feel like a number and feel rushed. There are ample physicians if you wish to get a second opinion within the same clinic.
Worcester

We had a horrible experience with Dr Alper! After failed IUIs, we did an IVF cycle where 21 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo came out of it due to poor quality eggs from his set protocol. He also did not put me on metformin despite my pcos. When we met to review, he said he wouldn’t change my protocol going forward. We switched to CCrM Boston with Dr Zimon and got 11 embryos and I’m not currently pregnant. Please don’t waste your time with him!
Boston ivf is like a factory but you get in and out quick for ultrasounds. You also get a random doctor doing your retrieval and transfer. Ultrasounds are done by techs rather than the doctors themselves (like CCrM Boston).... Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!... Very basic pre set protocol with dosing. I was on gonal-f and certitude. Trigger was ovidrel.... He follows pre-set protocols and does not adjust medications or care plans based on your situation.
Run!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!