Merle Berger

Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
She’s [Dr. Thornton is] a good listener and answered questions in detail and has a kind demeanor. She also took interest in my life outside treatment so I didn’t feel like just a number. It was important for me to have a black female doctor and I felt I could more easily talk about racial concerns...She recommended COQ10 in addition to the prenatal vitamin I was already taking...
It’s almost impossible to get someone to answer a call directly [at Boston IVF]. It tends to go to voicemail with a long message about their callback policy that you can’t skip. During the treatment cycle they were very responsive and and warm. Missing a call created anxiety especially before I started a treatment cycle, because I’d have to leave a message again...Communications had sort of a factory feel. Before scheduling my initial consult I wished someone could have laid out potential future appointments and blood/ultrasound monitoring during egg retrieval...
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She’s a good listener and answered questions in detail and has a kind demeanor. She also took interest in my life outside treatment so I didn’t feel like just a number. It was important for me to have a black female doctor and I felt I could more easily talk about racial concerns.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Don’t delay in scheduling since her calendar books quickly, and be persistent about getting an earlier appointment/ask to get put on the waitlist and follow up
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She listened to my concerns and answered my questions and also expressed interest in personal details outside the treatment.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
She recommended COQ10 in addition to the prenatal vitamin I was already taking. I injected meds to increase my follicles and eggs and had frequent monitoring to time my retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
It’s almost impossible to get someone to answer a call directly. It tends to go to voicemail with a long message about their callback policy that you can’t skip. During the treatment cycle they were very responsive and and warm. Missing a call created anxiety especially before I started a treatment cycle, because I’d have to leave a message again
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Provide an easier way for patients to get in touch and get questions answered sooner. Communications had sort of a factory feel. Before scheduling my initial consult I wished someone could have laid out potential future appointments and blood/ultrasound monitoring during egg retrieval. I would have potentially opted for a closer clinic had I known that
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered everything except embryo genetic testing. I’m still not sure if donor sperm is covered
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We discussed potentially transferring more than one embryo due to my age.

2022, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Steven Bayer] is very caring and recognizes the difficulty of what you’re going through but also provides hope with next steps...He is very caring and has a really good bedside manner even over zoom. He provides a lot of hope to you as a patient which I appreciate. He asks about details of your life but also gets all the information about your medical experience thus far
They [Boston IVF] are very organized but you don’t get to know specific people as well. They are open seven days a week which is great and really helpful. They have multiple clinics too which is nice. Everyone is professional and friendly...They are good at being available and getting back to you with questions
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
It is an all in experience but I think that’s typical with infertility
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
He is very caring and recognizes the difficulty of what you’re going through but also provides hope with next steps
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I used letrozole 7.5 to get me ovulating then ovidrwl to trigger egg release
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They are good at being available and getting back to you with questions
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are very organized but you don’t get to know specific people as well. They are open seven days a week which is great and really helpful. They have multiple clinics too which is nice. Everyone is professional and friendly
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Nothing has been covered which has been tough

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
Brian Berger is very honest and straightforward, but also sensitive to the information he shares. During a consult, he listens and answers questions and takes the time to go over next steps. I plan to continue my treatments with Dr. Berger...Trust that you're in the best hands...
The [Boston IVF] clinic in Quincy is right off of the highway. Early morning appointments are best, with minimal wait time. One of my only complaints is not having a consistent nurse throughout my cycles. I spoke to several nurses and it was difficult for the nurses to get caught up on current cycle information...The nursing staff is friendly and most are compassionate.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Trust that you're in the best hands.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff is friendly and most are compassionate.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic in Quincy is right off of the highway. Early morning appointments are best, with minimal wait time. One of my only complaints is not having a consistent nurse throughout my cycles. I spoke to several nurses and it was difficult for the nurses to get caught up on current cycle information.
Quincy

2019 - 2021, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Samuel Pauli] showed compassion for my negative pregnancy test, and chemicals. He was willing to listen to my changes in procedures. He valued my feelings...He was compassionate and understanding. I felt he was just as frustrated with my infertility as I was. He didn’t treat me as a number or a ratings score. He wanted me to finally have the family I’ve wanted for 5 years now...He was always willing to discuss options
Make sure your [Boston IVF] portal and appointment times are the same. Always be clear of what department you are trying to get a hold of like admin or nursing. They email direction for egg retrievals/transfers etc and they are pretty clear of instructions...Nurse Nikki always returned my calls, no matter how silly the question...Insurance covered most. Medication costs were ridiculous
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to advocate for you selves if you have ideas of a treatment plans. He was always willing to discuss options
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He showed compassion for my negative pregnancy test, and chemicals. He was willing to listen to my changes in procedures. He valued my feelings
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
Nurse Nikki always returned my calls, no matter how silly the question. She personally called me once we found out I was going to be expecting twins and was so happy for my. She was equally as devastated when told her we lost them at 9 weeks.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Make sure your portal and appointment times are the same. Always be clear of what department you are trying to get a hold of like admin or nursing. They email direction for egg retrievals/transfers etc and they are pretty clear of instructions
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered most. Medication costs were ridiculous
Worcester

She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] is very straight forward with information, but also explains everything well. Interactions with her are limited. Her personality isn’t very warm, but you can still tell she does care an did compassionate about what you’re going through. She doesnt seem to be open to my suggestions sometime as I’m not a healthcare professional. She recently emailed to check on me during the pandemic which was surprising, but very nice and thoughtful!
Their [Boston IVF] online portal need a lot of help. I wish they would utilize it more to get information to their patients quicker. They are clean and organized. Their method of sign in is good if it’s looked at carefully by the nurses (I’ve been skipped before). Everyone I’ve interacted with at both locations have been very warm and helpful...No one checked in on me and how i was doing during and after each cycles result.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She is very straight forward with information, but also explains everything well. Interactions with her are limited. Her personality isn’t very warm, but you can still tell she does care an did compassionate about what you’re going through. She doesnt seem to be open to my suggestions sometime as I’m not a healthcare professional. She recently emailed to check on me during the pandemic which was surprising, but very nice and thoughtful!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Don’t let your initial reaction to her personality steer you away. She does know what she is doing and she does care, even if it can seem like she doesn’t.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
I only got to speak with her twice in the last few months. No one checked in on me and how i was doing during and after each cycles result.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We were given a treatment plan of injections and IUI procedure. Cd 3 start Gonal-F, ultrasound scans and bloodwork every other day, once follicles we’re mature take Ovidrel (trigger shot) then scheduled IUI. We did this twice with a negative result. We were set to try a 3rd time but the pandemic happened. The reason for 3 was insurance purposes. She said she felt confident that we would have good results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brynna )
She is very compassionate and takes the time to answer all questions. She also calls back in timely fashion.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their online portal need a lot of help. I wish they would utilize it more to get information to their patients quicker. They are clean and organized. Their method of sign in is good if it’s looked at carefully by the nurses (I’ve been skipped before). Everyone I’ve interacted with at both locations have been very warm and helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
Consultation cost us $150.00 out of pocket. Each medication was $30 per refill/per drug. I haven’t received full billing amount for all cycles yet.
Carla DiGirolamo
Westborough

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
The first appointment [with Dr. Penzias] was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next...We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance
She [Boston IVF nurse] is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean...I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic...I have a copay for each appointment. IUI we paid for out of pocket at roughly $500. The drugs were $500. This came as a surprise to us
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
The first appointment was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next. Until Covid it was very hard to get an appointment and normally required one month wait. This feels like forever when battling a ticking body clock. I liked that he used my data to figure out next steps. I did not feel especially like the treatment was custom made for me but we have not yet been able to start an IVF cycle. It was nice that he tried to enrol us in a clinical trial.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Make a list of all your questions before you go in else the appointment will be very short and you will feel unsatisfied
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
The first appointment was really helpful. He was very kind in the last appointment as I have been waiting so long. Dr P likes statistics and sometimes I feel like I am one of them.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance. This was more of our decision due to cost. I feel like if we had insurance we would have jumped straight to IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
I feel like I speak to my nurse at least a couple of times per month as i have so many period issues. She is very helpful and clear and gets back to me very quickly. She is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean. I have never called any medical professional this much and I don't get the feeling I am bugging her
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic. The Domar center is an awesome resource and I think it would be helpful to advertise their services particularly the mind body program more prominently. The weakness is that they are so busy it is hard to get appointments to see the doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Waltham
Dr Murphy forgot repeatedly what had happened in my history (she forgot about my chromosomally normal pregnancies, about a chemical pregnancy, about the fact that she prescribed and that I took letrozole for one cycle) ... Make sure to understand your own course; she is not reliable ...
Boston IVF is an older office with not a lot of space, but they are efficient and the office and nursing staff are very nice. This was convenient for me and covered by my insurance, so that was good. Parking is expensive. ... The majority of cost was picked up by my insurance; anything that would not be was discussed in advance.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Make sure to understand your own course; she is not reliable
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
Lauren Murphy

2016 - 2019, Successful
We had a great experience with Dr Brian Berger. After our first cycle was not successful in a couple of ways, he adjusted our treatment for the second cycle. That second cycle gave us our baby girl. We are going back to him for a sibling cycle. The biggest roadblock right now is trying to get his time to write us letters of appeal for insurance (which may not be a fault of his but supporting staff not helping to get it in queue).
I had a mixed experience with the nurses [BostonIVF]. One nurse I felt would rush me through everything from paperwork to questions to talking me through progress throughout the cycle. I do not recall her name. While other nurses were so very nurturing and wouldn't mind if I called for updates to make me feel better. I think there is an opportunity for the staff to be more patient / customer focused. The office is so busy and has become so popular
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Make sure to ask any and all questions. Read up and be knowledgeable so you can advocate for yourself. This is with him or any other doctor!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Brian Berger took the time to speak to us about our case. He took the time to understand who we are as individuals and as a couple. He took the time to learn our story.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My first cycle was included estrace, crinone, follistim, low hcg, cetrotide and ovridel. It yielded 17 eggs, 5 matured, 2 fertilized, 1 became a day 3 embryo transfer. This ended in a chemical pregnancy. Round 2 had the same drugs except we did a step-down protcol in order to yield more mature eggs. Round 2 resulted in 16 eggs, 10 mature, 2 fertilized, 1 day 3 embryo. This resulted in a healthy baby girl!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I had a mixed experience with the nurses. One nurse I felt would rush me through everything from paperwork to questions to talking me through progress throughout the cycle. I do not recall her name. While other nurses were so very nurturing and wouldn't mind if I called for updates to make me feel better. I think there is an opportunity for the staff to be more patient / customer focused. The office is so busy and has become so popular that they sometimes forget.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths = results, statistics (top clinic in the area) Weaknesses = putting patients first, not nurturing as should be, communication is terrible, really hard to get a hold of sometimes, constant phone tag, takes forever to get an appointment with a doctor and sometimes it is only over the phone and not in person.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Our health insurance had lifetime maxes. We were able to cover treatment, minus deductibles, but had out of pocket expenses for medication. I'd say out of pocket a cycle typically costs $20K, that is with ICSI.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr Brian Berger was open to multiple embryo transfer, as he understands why patients would want to go that route. He just wanted to ensure his patients understood risks and to make sure they were comfortable with the outcomes that could occur.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I'm currently trying to get Dr Brian Berger to write appeal letters for both my and my husband's employer health insurance. It's taken over a month of asking and I still do not have an answer of when he can provide them to us.

2019, 8 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Ryley] was decent to me pre-opp but post-off was a bit rushed and rude. When I asked if he was going to freeze any immature eggs, rather than just say yes, he irratablity stated "You didn't go over that with your doctor?" He hadn't remembered our pre-surgery discussion either. Didn't seem to care. When I asked a simple question about how many mature follicles I ended up having going in, he dismissed me and said he didn't count them.
[Boston IVF] Locations are everywhere so it can be convenient. However, the only location open on the weekends is in Waltham, so if you need to go on a weekend, you have to drive there. Has a bit of a factory feel to it, but I was satisfied. Loved the option for acupuncture. All of the women I interacted with were great...The nurses at Boston IVF are excellent...you cannot control the doctor that does your retrieval, only the one that makes your plan. Overall happy with Boston IVF, just not the retreival experience.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
As stated, I don't question his ability in the OR or necessarily his medical decisions. But his bedside manner (poor) makes a huge difference in patient satisfaction. I would not want him doing an egg retrieval on me again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I'm not his patient, he just did my retrieval. I won't have to see him again.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Overheard him being rude to a young woman near me who had eggs retrieved. Spoke to the nurse near her and said "I already told her." The patient (post-opp) who had not been addressed by name had to state that if he had told her, then she had forgotten. It seems reasonable to have to ask for this info twice (and get an answer kindly delivered) if you are coming out anesthesia. He was decent to me pre-opp but post-off was a bit rushed and rude. When I asked if he was going to freeze any immature eggs, rather than just say yes, he irratablity stated "You didn't go over that with your doctor?" He hadn't remembered our pre-surgery discussion either. Didn't seem to care. When I asked a simple question about how many mature follicles I ended up having going in, he dismissed me and said he didn't count them. I was told several times all of my eggs would be frozen right away - then later that day was told only some of them were frozen. The nurses at Boston IVF are excellent and I like my actuall doctor...but the man who did my retrieval needs a little more patience and improved bedside manner. The way you are spoken to during and after surgery can make all of the difference in the world. Unforuntaly, at Boston IVF, you cannot control the doctor that does your retrieval, only the one that makes your plan. Overall happy with Boston IVF, just not the retreival experience.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Primary Nurse )
The nurse I had a day of egg retrieval was phenomenal. She wasn't super knowledgeable about the egg freezing process but did her job as a surgical nurse very well. She was very kind. Very patient. I highly recommend Darlene (although the surgical nurse isn't something you can control). My doctor who coordinated care had a nurse who also always called me back the same day I left a voicemail. Brynna. My only wish is that were were able to communicate throgh messaging as well.
Again, I'm not his patient. He just did the retrieval. Costs were about $12K
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Most of the clinical was wonderful. No one called me back about my genetic testing results for a very long time, so I had to call and find out. Overall it was a fine experience. I just didn't like the Dr. who did my retrieval and how you can have no control whatsoever who the Dr. who does your retrieval will be. It also takes a long time to get a follow up after retrieval to go over results (a couple weeks or so)
Waltham
[Dr. Luzzo was] Somewhat clinical in demeanor but very competent and trustworthy. She listened to my questions and took my feedback into consideration when planning treatment. We did not see her very often, though - just the initial consultation, and right before our IVF cycle...Antagonist protocol using gonal f, menopur, and cetrotide. Stimmed for 10 days. Retrieval of 35 eggs - 31 mature, 20 fertilized with ICSI, 10 embryos frozen, 1 fresh embryo transferred, resulting in a singleton pregnancy.
Strengths [at Boston IVF] - Very large - lots of patients, practitioners, data and coordinated use of evidence based practices. Sometimes can feel like a factory, but a successful one that will give you a baby at the end. Weaknesses - All major procedures have to take place in Waltham, MA which was a 2-3 hour trip for us. All communication seems to take place via telephone which can be frustrating to manage while at work.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Prepare any questions that you have ahead of time.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Always returned my calls with the information I needed, once I was in treatment. When not in an active treatment cycle, I did feel as though I was a lower priority (which makes sense) and had to follow up multiple times on some things.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths - Very large - lots of patients, practitioners, data and coordinated use of evidence based practices. Sometimes can feel like a factory, but a successful one that will give you a baby at the end. Weaknesses - All major procedures have to take place in Waltham, MA which was a 2-3 hour trip for us. All communication seems to take place via telephone which can be frustrating to manage while at work.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
With the exception of a few long back-ups, I was usually able to get in and out within 30 minutes early in the morning before work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Unsure - billed directly to insurance.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Single embryo transfer seems to be the policy unless there is a compelling reason otherwise. We were educated (and dissuaded) on multiple embryo transfer.
Providence
Dr. Luzzo is very straightforward. She doesn’t push one treatment over the other but rather gives pros and cons for each and lets the patient make the decisions. ... She is very business-like in her explanations. ... Not very warm and fuzzy but she knows her stuff. ... Very neutral with her opinions. ... We have done 3 rounds of IUI. First round we went in for baseline ultrasound and labs on cycle day 3.
My biggest concerns for this clinic [Boston IVF] is the billing/insurance department. ... she never even submitted my the authorization request to my insurance. I called Every day that week and it wasn’t submitted until Thursday. ... I was Unable to start ivf like planned. ... we now have to spend close to a $1000 to freeze sperm. This could have been completely avoided if this women did her job.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Luzzo is very straightforward. She doesn’t push one treatment over the other but rather gives pros and cons for each and lets the patient make the decisions. Not very warm and fuzzy but she knows her stuff.
Ask lots of questions. Advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She is very business-like in her explanations. Very neutral with her opinions.
We have done 3 rounds of IUI. First round we went in for baseline ultrasound and labs on cycle day 3. For the call that afternoon to start 50mg of clomid every night for 5 nights. Cycle day 10 went in for monitoring and labs. Nurse called later that day and informed me of follicle sizes and scheduled another monitoring appointment the next morning. Had more monitoring and the nurse called again later that night to clear ya to trigger with Ovidrel. We only had one mature follicle. Our IUI was scheduled 36 hours after that. 2 days after IUI I started on progesterone suppositories twice a day. This cycle failed. Second cycle was the same as the first except they increased the clomid to 100mg instead. One mature follicle again, progesterone twice a day after IUI and another failed cycle. This cycle we started Gonal-F injections 75iu at night from cycle day 3-9 in hopes to mature more eggs. Monitoring from cycle day 7-10 and then got the clear to trigger on cycle day 10 with Ovidrel. I’m in the waiting room for IUI as I type this so nonresuots yet. I will Start progesterone twice a day in two days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Margie and Wendy)
Margie is wonderful. She is very compassionate and understanding. Wendy however, has been rude, and cold.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The lab tech Crystal, ultrasound techs especially Heidi, and office women- Joanna and Taylor are absolutely wonderful. They are friendly, caring and very reassuring. They make the office run so smoothly and truly care about their patients. The insurance/billing lady is HORRENDOUS. Mistakes were made on her behalf which completely derailed my IVF chance. I called numerous times asking for explanations and she BLAMED ME for things going wrong. She is a horrible communicator, and overall terrible at her job.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
$40 copays for Dr. Luzzo and IUI. Everything else has been covered by insurance except medications that have cost between $250-$300/cycle.
Haven’t had a transfer yet
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My biggest concerns for this clinic is the billing/insurance department. I was Suppose to start ivf this cycle after two failed IUI’s. I went For my consult, signed all consents a month in advance and was told next cycle we would start and it would be no problem. Two weeks before my cycle I called asking for an update on my ivf approval. Lady told me She didn’t have it yet but would have it Monday. Monday rolls around and not only has the billing lady been out since last THURSDAY, she never even submitted my the authorization request to my insurance. I called Every day that week and it wasn’t submitted until Thursday. My period was due Friday. Needless to say I was Unable to start ivf like planned. This may not be a big deal, but my Husband is leaving the country and will be in an area of Zika risk. Since we were not able to get an egg retrieval in before he left, we now have to spend close to a $1000 to freeze sperm. This could have been completely avoided if this women did her job.
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
With PGS, [Dr. Samuel Pauli] advised to transfer 1 only. Without PGS, then we were advised to transfer 2...He is a very sweet man, but also analytical and technical as a doctor. He is a professional and all business while maintaining a very human demeanor...will tweak protocols when something doesn't work. He was always very kind and easy to talk to, and I am sad that things didn't work out. Towards the end of my time I felt like he was almost too kind and would say what he thought I wanted to hear rather than what I needed to hear.
We got along amazingly well [with the nurses at Boston IVF]. I also would get my bloodwork and ultrasounds done at a local satellite clinic and I got along spectacularly well with the phlebotomists and sonographers there after seeing them for years...If you go early [for monitoring], then you'd be fine. Mostly people didn't show up at their designated times, so it was generally first come first serve. The satellite clinic I went to was amazing and they loved seeing me so much.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He really wants to have his patients succeed, and he is very modest and will tweak protocols when something doesn't work. He was always very kind and easy to talk to, and I am sad that things didn't work out. Towards the end of my time I felt like he was almost too kind and would say what he thought I wanted to hear rather than what I needed to hear.
If you are under 35 and have no history of recurrent pregnancy loss, than you should do just fine with him. More advanced cases with older patients and recurrent pregnancy losses may need to look elsewhere.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Round 1: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl Trigger 8 eggs, all mature and fertilized. 1 fresh transfer "worked," miscarriage at 11 weeks. Karyotype revealed a normal pregnancy and unexplained loss. 2 remaining untested frozen embryos. 1st negative pregnancy test, 2nd "worked," miscarriage at 8 weeks due to triploidy. Round 2: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl Trigger Added PGS. 7 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 abnormal blast. Round 3: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl/Lupron Double Trigger Added PGS. 10 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 abnormal blast. Round 4: Lupron Flare with Lupron and Gonal F only, Pregnyl Trigger Added PGS. 11 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 PGS normal blast. Miscarriage at 6ish weeks with low beta and slow heartrate. Was found to be an abnormal blast after karyotype testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki P and Nikki F)
We got along amazingly well. I also would get my bloodwork and ultrasounds done at a local satellite clinic and I got along spectacularly well with the phlebotomists and sonographers there after seeing them for years. Unfortunately, my primary nursing team was moved to another location closer to me, and I did not like the team there, which further contributed to my leaving after the third miscarriage.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: So many different doctors and locations to choose from, you just gotta move around and see who may be the perfect fit for you. There is also a MInd-Body center on site where the surgical unit is so you can have counseling or acupuncture if you wish. Weakness: Very standard, conventional practices, doesn't always tailor the protocol to your needs well, and could have benefitted from further tests.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
If you go early, then you'd be fine. Mostly people didn't show up at their designated times, so it was generally first come first serve. The satellite clinic I went to was amazing and they loved seeing me so much.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Luckily, we have health insurance, so our rounds were completely covered. Medications had to be paid for though, but they only made out to be in the $200 range tops.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
With PGS, it was advised to transfer 1 only. Without PGS, then we were advised to transfer 2.
Lexington
Kind, explained all my questions, spoke in a really respectful way, encouraged us and gave us hope... Very kind and intelligent, the only bad things were that he [Dr. Bayer] seemed so confident in having a positive outcome and when we didn’t I felt like he didn’t dig into why and just chalked it up to bad luck and didn’t really change cycle protocol... He would have been fine with putting in two embryos if we had wanted.
It [Boston IVF] has too many people, patients doctors don’t always do physical transfer etc., their billing department is confusing, disorganized and not helpful. However, they have a lot of doctors so you can find a right for, they have easy to get to locations and they have ALL types of programs so it’s like one stop shopping for fertility.... One of our embryos did not thaw out and they told me 30 seconds before transfer. Also, they would not let my husband in the room, even though they knew it was surrogacy pregnancy.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Very kind and intelligent, the only bad things were that he seemed so confident in having a positive outcome and when we didn’t I felt like he didn’t dig into why and just chalked it up to bad luck and didn’t really change cycle protocol
Be prepared not to have contact and commiicafon with him-it all had to be filtered through nurses and he won’t mecessaily do your egg retrieval or transfer
But on regular ivf cycle-regular protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda )
The nurse was VERY prompt in giving results and answering questions. He manner or tone was sometimes a bit cold, but I just think she was like that because she wanted everything to be really clear (which it was.)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It has too many people, patients doctors don’t always do physical transfer etc., their billing department is confusing, disorganized and not helpful. However, they have a lot of doctors so you can find a right for, they have easy to get to locations and they have ALL types of programs so it’s like one stop shopping for fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
We spent over 90k on all treatments there and on our gestational carrier.
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He would have been fine with putting in two embryos if we had wanted.
Boston
First cycle [with Dr. Nina Resetkova] I was on 300 Gonal and 150 menopure. Second cycle we added in estradiol and for better results...She called me personally at 7:30 on a Friday night to resolve an issue...She was good, gave all the risks and options. When she called with test results she gave the next step. She personally called me...Only con would be she didn’t mention she was going on maternity leave or who was covering for her.
Insurance covered most of it and the financial coordinator [at Boston IVF- South Shore] was on top of it...Large clinic with several locations. They offer aggressive treatment plans. Nursing is triage if you call the main line and things slip through the cracks, ie. they forgot to order my meds because I called on a weekend. Poor communication within departments. It’s a business, the run as such... [Nurses had] Zero compassion...Organized and good follow up
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She was good, gave all the risks and options. When she called with test results she gave the next step. She personally called me to resolve an issue. Only con would be she didn’t mention she was going on maternity leave or who was covering for her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Be your own advocate
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She called me personally at 7:30 on a Friday night to resolve an issue.
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
First cycle I was on 300 Gonal and 150 menopure. Second cycle we added in estradiol and for better results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Organized and good follow up. Zero compassion.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Ultrasound technicians and blood technicians were always awesome.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered most of it and the financial coordinator was on top of it.
Describe Nina Resetkova's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The nursing line is a triage and things can slip through the cracks. They forgot to order my medication and I had to wait a month to start a cycle.
Nina Resetkova
South Shore

[Dr. Steven Bayer] was compassionate and thoughtful. However, he works at a high cost clinic - we felt like we were constantly repeating the same protocol with no changes. And we couldn't afford to continue to go there...He is great - just wish he worked at a more affordable clinic...He spoke to us like he cared and tried to help us with financial decisions...[Protocols included] Letrozole...
Strengths [at Boston IVF]: Convenience - many locations - easy to get an appointment - someone picks up the phone right away and nurses get back to you within a couple of hours. Weaknesses: Cost - just cannot afford to keep going here. The cost of the IVF egg retrieval procedure is 10k and each ultra sound / bloodwork which occurs every couple of days is also thousands of dollars. I know it doesn't cost that much to administer a 2 minute ultrasound.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Doctor Bayer was compassionate and thoughtful. However, he works at a high cost clinic - we felt like we were constantly repeating the same protocol with no changes. And we couldn't afford to continue to go there.
He is great - just wish he worked at a more affordable clinic.
He spoke to us like he cared and tried to help us with financial decisions.
Letrozole
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Convenience - many locations - easy to get an appointment - someone picks up the phone right away and nurses get back to you within a couple of hours. Weaknesses: Cost - just cannot afford to keep going here. The cost of the IVF egg retrieval procedure is 10k and each ultra sound / bloodwork which occurs every couple of days is also thousands of dollars. I know it doesn't cost that much to administer a 2 minute ultrasound.
Approximately $3000
Boston

Dr. Riley knows his stuff, and also knows I am a scientist who understands the background research and statistics. It took us a couple of tries to fully understand one another's styles but once we did we had a great report and he is always well-prepared having reviewed my particular history and needs, and willing to listen carefully to any of my questions. We joke around and I now never leave without feeling like we have fully discussed everything I had hoped to and that he has tailored his answers and advice to my situation.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Try to self-reflect ahead of time on your needs and what you are hoping to get out of any particular appointment, and make sure you can clearly express those. He seems very willing to adapt his general style to fit those so you can have the best, most informed experience possible.
Dr. Riley is an award-winning Medical Professor with Harvard Medical School, and up to date on all relevant research. He explains the stats and rationalization for each protocol and step suggested, but I never feel like he wouldn't consider other options if I requested them and they were within the range of approaches he feels are medically appropriate. GIven my age (41 when I started IVF) and not great numbers, we started with an aggressive cycle of estrogen priming, Gonal-F, Medipur, and Cetrotide, along with Ovidril to trigger. The first cycle could have been worse but we decided to change things by trying low dose HcG in place of the medipur. This cycle worked better. For the third we decided why mess with what had worked about as well as we could have expected so we kept it the same, but it went very poorly. Given my age it seems this is not uncommon. If I do another cycle we will try a Lupron Flare protocol, which he figured has about a 50/50 chance of working better but we can't know until we try. I had the option of sticking to the prior plan if I wanted to. We also always have a plan in place for how many embryos to transfer and on which day (as I'm doing fresh cycles) ahead of time. For example, if I have less than four embryos on Day 1 the plan would be to transfer two-three on Day 3. If I have four or more we go to day 5 and transfer 2, and freeze the others if I get more (so far I haven't). If I have extras I have elected to do PGS testing, but I can change my mind at any point if I choose not to. (Though I have given a deposit.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
My primary nurse (and former primary nurse) have been wonderful in just about every way. Occasionally when someone else has filled in there has been some confusion where they are telling me something different than what I understood from my primary nurse and doctor.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a large fertility center with several locations, though only one (or a few?) do surgeries. Some folks don't love that it feels like a factory and that it may never be your own doctor doing your retrievals, transfers. etc. Personally I love the clinic and after about a month of understanding their whole system I settled into a good routine with them and knew who to call when for what. One benefit of using such a large IVF-only clinic is that they are open 7 days a week no matter what. You can schedule your labs and ultrasounds before work. Your results are posted on the patient portal within a few hours and your main nurse (or very occasionally doctor if it's bigger news that might involve a decision) calls you. I am in and out of appointments in minutes and the majority of the staff including phlebotomists are wonderful and get to know you once you've become a frequent flyer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Massachusetts is extremely lucky to require some infertility coverage through insurance, though policies can vary. To date then, there have been relatively few costs (PGS testing deposit was the main one) but as I may be aging out of my current insurance, I assume the numbers will be similar to those at other big clinics around the country. I have not yet done all the pricing but I am sure it is available.
He bases his suggestions on the statistics available for patient's ages and numbers. So for someone like me over 41 with not great hormone levels, an SET is not recommended. The stats of having multiples with multiple untested embryos are so small, and the risk of trying to freeze, test, and thaw the only extra one or two embryos doesn't seem worth it. That said, and I have asked, if I preferred to only do an SET he would.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Just the very occasional hearing from a nurse filling in for my main nurse giving slightly different information that it sounds like are more in line with their usual doctor's orders than mine. I have followed up with my own nurse and doctor to clarify.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Even though I was 40 and had low reserve, was a poor responder he [Dr. Alan Penzias] didn't tell us donor eggs were the only choice. He know how we wanted our own child and he said out what our chances were. He has worked with us to optimize how many eggs we get but my eggs are not fertilizing. He is not encouraging or promoting of alternative therapies or naturopathic treatments to improve quality as he thinks they make minimal impact. But he will approve them and supplaments that I chose to do.
Their [Boston IVF-RSC] strengths are that due to their size you can cycle any time and they do egg retrevial and transfers every day of the year. I also love the Domar Center located at their Waltham location. Acupuncture there is awesome with all practioners and the nutritionist was very helpful too. You do not usually get your doctor for retrevial, but mine came in once special to do just mine or a weekend morning. Billing is frustrating as you never get an actual bill or breakdown, and now we are paying out of pocket so you pay ahead for the whole cycle and get reimbursed if you did not use all of the plan treatments.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Pandas was very responsive to questions and requests, even while traveling He is accessible thru the nurse or via email. He was also flexible with us as far as having conference calls when we couldnt meet at his office due to schedule conflicts. We found him as he came highly rated to us from a Chief of another department Even though I was 40 and had low reserve, was a poor responder he didn't tell us donor eggs were the only choice. He know how we wanted our own child and he said out what our chances were. He has worked with us to optimize how many eggs we get but my eggs are not fertilizing. He is not encouraging or promoting of alternative therapies or naturopathic treatments to improve quality as he thinks they make minimal impact. But he will approve them and supplaments that I chose to do. I always keep him in the loop with what I am taking. He does like the use of acupuncture for transfer. We are looking to do another cycle or two with him at this point and looking at different treatment options. He has also gone to bat for us more than.once with the insurance company.
He is a down to earth person and a straight communicator that relies on data and proven methods. He is not on the cutting edge but it up to date on everything going on out that and looks to reliable data of success before recommending it to patients. He is very professional. Go in with lots of questions and you will come out with solid options to choose from.
He is very fact based but also very personable. He encourages questions and looking at new treatment plans and will discuss it all in detail and give you approx. Success rates of different options.
For my first cycle we did menopure and gonal f with Cetrotide to suppress, and during the cycle my dosing was upped as I was a poor responder. I ended up ovulating thru the Cetrotide is the cycle was candles. My next 2 cycles (the first I did immediately after the fist cycle as some research indicates that works better for older women) we switched to micro Lupton and stuck with the m &g. The first cycle we got 1 mature egg that did not fertalize naturally. I took a cycle off then the next cycle we used the same protocol and got I believe 3 eggs. They did not fertilize with ICSI, for the ones it could be used on. We switched to mini IVF since I was at max doses for stimulating meds but not getting good responses. Used Clomid with a hcg trigger (same as all the others) and got 6 eggs, 5 mature, none fertalize with ICSI. Took another few cycles off and did another mini IVF where I believe we got 3 or 4 eggs, nothing fertalized again. It has been attributed to my poor egg quality at my age, even though they look good at retrevial. Dr.P told me at my age less than maybe 1 in 12 eggs are chromosomaly normal, so it is a numbers game.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Mawn)
Sara is wonderful. Very compassionate and responsive. She was out for a while and we experienced other nursing staff. Most we great! At my first ERA biosposy, I was disappointed in the nursing as the 2 we not very professional, but my second biopsy was the exact opposite. It is a very large clinic so you will have interactions with many staff, but you also have a main point of contact.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their strengths are that due to their size you can cycle any time and they do egg retrevial and transfers every day of the year. I also love the Domar Center located at their Waltham location. Acupuncture there is awesome with all practioners and the nutritionist was very helpful too. You do not usually get your doctor for retrevial, but mine came in once special to do just mine or a weekend morning. Billing is frustrating as you never get an actual bill or breakdown, and now we are paying out of pocket so you pay ahead for the whole cycle and get reimbursed if you did not use all of the plan treatments. You do need to be on top of things as far as your treatment as there is not someone to walk you through the process once you are on treatment or remind you. Follow up is also on you. But nurse communication is great and so was the coordinator.
Our first 4 cycles were covered by insurance, but the PGS testing was not. He did appeal to insurance and got 2 cycles covered that were initially rejected by insurance. Out of pocket IVF was $7750 for the cycle plus 2500 for icsi and 980 for the embryoscoping (which was at our request). PGS was $3300 For 7 to 8 embryos and went up and down from that number For the mini IVF cycle it is $4950 and that includes ICSI but not PGS testing.
We haven't gotten to that point, but we originally talked about doing only FET transfers of PGS tested embryos and at my age, 1 or 2 at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My first Clomid challenge cycle i was not called with my results, which required a retest on another cycle, which ended up delaying the start of my treatment 3 months.
Waltham

Dr. Wright prescribed an antagonist cycle with no birth control. This was my fourth IVF cycle, but first with her. Five eggs were retrieved and two embryos were transferred, but resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Due to diminished ovarian reserve and poor egg quality, I am going to undergo an donor egg cycle with Dr. Wright soon.... Dr. Wright never did any of my procedures, which I was disappointed about, but I did feel comfortable with the other doctor's in the practice.
The clinic [IVF NE] has multiple monitoring locations, which is convenient for someone like me who lives close to one location and works close to another. You can go to different sites depending on what works for you. The main procedures are completed at one location. They give you a scheduled time for blood work and ultrasounds, which streamlines the process really well.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright takes the time to explain every aspect of treatment clearly. I came to her with many questions and she answered all of them fully and honestly. Dr. Wright presented the facts of my case and provided me with options after discussing the benefits and disadvantages of each. She is very knowledgeable and trustworthy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Attend appointments with a list of questions so that you can maximize your time with the doctor and get all the information you need to proceed with treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
I felt like a human under the treatment of Dr. Wright. I felt that she and the nurses were caring and compassionate. However, the clinic is large and at times I felt like a number - not due to the way any staff member treated me, but because I knew there were so many patients under the care of the clinic's doctors.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
My main nurse was clear in her directions and knowledgeable about medications. She called to explain next steps and answered all my questions efficiently.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic has multiple monitoring locations, which is convenient for someone like me who lives close to one location and works close to another. You can go to different sites depending on what works for you. The main procedures are completed at one location. They give you a scheduled time for blood work and ultrasounds, which streamlines the process really well. Dr. Wright never did any of my procedures, which I was disappointed about, but I did feel comfortable with the other doctor's in the practice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
When undergoing an IVF cycle, I had majority of costs covered by insurance. With my upcoming donor egg cycle, I will pay a fee to the clinic, a fee to the outside agency, donor fee, and legal fees.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
I wasn’t getting the results I needed to [with Dr. Rita Sneeringer], so we added HGH and I finally got an embryo to transfer (has not been transferred yet)...was always warm and welcoming when I saw her. She was up to date on my case and if she wasn’t sure about something she takes the time to look through my chart to make sure she provides an appropriate answer... When I wasn’t getting the results I wanted, and I did some research, I made suggestions and although my clinic mostly didn’t use the medicine I was suggesting to try, she was willing to go outside the box and try something different.
There was miscommunication on the new protocol since it was an “out of the box” medication I was using, the nurses [at Boston IVF] weren’t used to calling it in to the pharmacy and prescribing it. So we had to wait another cycle to get things in order...The clinic as an overall has been great. The retrieval process has been amazing, they’ve always made sure I am comfortable with warm blankets, heating pads, nausea meds, etc. Generally you need to book appointments far ahead with the doctors as they fill up pretty quickly, even for post-op appointments.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer put me on a pretty popular protocol that I had been on before. When I wasn’t getting the results I wanted, and I did some research, I made suggestions and although my clinic mostly didn’t use the medicine I was suggesting to try, she was willing to go outside the box and try something different. She has always been warm and kind at our appointments and I have never once felt rushed which is a huge difference from a previous clinic I was at.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Ask questions. Do your research and if you want to try something new, ask, she is very open to experimenting with different protocols if you aren’t getting where you want to be.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was always warm and welcoming when I saw her. She was up to date on my case and if she wasn’t sure about something she takes the time to look through my chart to make sure she provides an appropriate answer.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I used BCP, gonalf f, menopur, cetrotide and HGH trigger. I wasn’t getting the results I needed to, so we added HGH and I finally got an embryo to transfer (has not been transferred yet).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
There was one nursing staff that seemed very harsh and not compassionate at all. Obviously it was hard to deal with her. However there was another nurse that couldn’t be nicer and always put in all the effort she could to get you the answers you need and make sure you understood everything.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
The cost was mostly covered by insurance except for PGS and ICSI if we wanted to use it. We chose to do PGS but not ICSI.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There was miscommunication on the new protocol since it was an “out of the box” medication I was using, the nurses weren’t used to calling it in to the pharmacy and prescribing it. So we had to wait another cycle to get things in order.
Rita Sneeringer
Stoneham

I heard very little from the doctor [Dr. Brian Berger]. It was nearly impossible to directly ask him any questions, they were all answered by the nurses...He’s very intelligent and seemed to have reviewed my chart thoroughly. He wasn’t always the most optimistic though- he was frank and honest. He didn’t seem to think outside the box at all though or try to come up with solutions for my unique situation. He was also always running hours late for his appts.
IVF cycle cost was $14,500, with PGS costing additional $3500 +/- depending on how many embryos were tested, plus the cost of medications ($4000) [at Boston IVF]...The doctor doing the transfer I did not know and until we arrived at the office we didn’t know how many embryos we had left. Then, in a split second they told us we had 2 but never offered us the option of transferring both. After, they said they always recommend transferring only 1 the first cycle.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Schedule your appts with him WAY in advance and try to coordinate so that HE is actually performing your procedures (retrival and transfers).
I heard very little from the doctor. It was nearly impossible to directly ask him any questions, they were all answered by the nurses. There were different nurses calling you all the time and almost never the same ones. None of them knew my particular situation completely. Whenever you called to ask a question, you always had to leave a voice mail and then the call had to be returned which made it difficult to get answers if you weren’t always available to answer your phone. This made it difficult to get answers and speak to an actual person about your questions.
He used Estradiol tablets at the end of your previous cycle for a week before your period. Then started Gonal-F on day 3, and then added low dose HCG after the first blood draw and U/S, followed by Cetrotide or Ganirilix for ovulation suppression. Then used Ovidrel for trigger. Followed by Crinone gel post transfer until blood test, 2 weeks after the transfer. I retrieved 13 eggs the first cycle, and 5 fertilized. By day 5 we had 1 embryo left to transfer. I became pregnant, but on U/S at 6 weeks, there was no fetus present and it was considered a blighted ovum. He recommended a D&C and sent the contents for genetic analysis to look for chromosomal abnormalities. We discovered the embryo had trisomy 16 and therefore was linked to miscarriage. The second cycle we retired 9 eggs after starting with a higher dose of gonal-F and using the same meds as prior. This time we only had 1 egg fertilize and transfered it on day 3, which was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were often not well educated and very dismissive of any concerns I had about the last
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It takes many weeks to schedule an appt so schedule early! They are capable of working with out of town patients and doing phone appts as well. They have multiple locations of offices for different doctors so be aware of that. The main office is in Waltham where they do all the retrievals and transfers, but they also have other smaller offices.
I did my monitoring appts at Albany IVF
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Because I’m an out of town patient, I had to drive in on the day 5, with the potential plan of doing a transfer, not knowing if we had any embryos left. Someone was supposed to cal be first thing in the morning (the embryologist or nurse, or someone!) to let us know if we should still proceed in or stay home. No one called us as planned! We finally were able to speak with someone when we were almost already there. Then no one would tell us the results until we were in the transfer room and ready for the procedure- legs in the air and all kind of situation. We had very little time to digest the information before the transfer just happened!
Boston

Dr Wright will do everything to get you there...2nd embryo transfer I got a stitch put in my cervix to help straighten it during the transfer. It worked perfectly and the transfer went more smoothly. I have 2 curves and it’s been hard at time to get the catheter in...The stitch in the my cervix was such a simple procedure I just wish it had been brought up earlier...has always taken the time to go over things each cycle or to try something new. We’ve had in person consults as well as phone consults so we wouldn’t have to wait.
The nurses [at IVF New England] were always wonderful. We had many over our visits and they were always warm and caring and helpful...It was expensive but the billing was always willing to try to get insurance to cover things...The strengths are the staff in general. They are all caring and you Know they want you succeed. The only weakness is that you don’t always get your doctor and usually a different nurse each time. While each doctor is great they don’t always know your whole story and that can be hard
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr Wright knows her stuff and she will always tell you how it is. She will break all the info down and help you understand. Having her as the one doing the procedure always made it easier. I’ve had bad experiences with iuis and embryo transfers. But the one I had with Dr Wright was the most comfortable. All together using my obgyn and Boston Ivf I’ve had 8 iuis and two embryo transfers using my wife’s embryos. None have been successful and I was thinking of giving up. My last embryo transfer I was sure it was my last try but Dr Wright changed things up and made the experience less painful and quick. While it wasn’t a success it made me rethink quitting. We’ve already come up with two alternate plans when I’m ready to restart next year.
It’s hard work to get pregnant. But Dr Wright will do everything to get you there. It can be frustrating and scary at times, but I feel you can really put your trust in Dr Wright. It was a lot of struggle for us but we have our beautiful son.
My wife and I both saw Dr Wright to try and get pregnant. My wife has gotten pregnant and gave birth, while I’m still trying. Dr Wright has always taken the time to go over things each cycle or to try something new. We’ve had in person consults as well as phone consults so we wouldn’t have to wait.
One iui cycle was with clomid 50mg for 5 days. Ovidrel 250 mcg 2nd iui: gonal f 50 iu Ovidrel 250 mcg Endometrin 100mg Embryo transfers: estradiol mg Estradiol patches .1 mg Progesterone 1 ml 2nd embryo transfer I got a stitch put in my cervix to help straighten it during the transfer. It worked perfectly and the transfer went more smoothly. I have 2 curves and it’s been hard at time to get the catheter in.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were always wonderful. We had many over our visits and they were always warm and caring and helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Unfortunately our insurance didn’t cover much. It was expensive but the billing was always willing to try to get insurance to cover things
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Lexington

He [Dr. Brain Berger] is confident and has alot of experience with diminished ovarian reserve. However, his choice of protocols began to feel cookie-cutter, as he was not receptive to changing up the protocols for us, even after 4 IVF cycles with no pregnancy...Don't expect to see him face to face very much. But he does review all of his patients monitoring results himself, and makes the recommendations via his nurses.
[Boston IVF is] big and you begin to fee like a number. Your primary doctor will not always be the one doing your egg retrievals or transfers. You have to be comfortable with other RE's doing your procedures. For the procedures, you have to travel to Waltham, which may be farther than your home clinic...We never had any problems with the nursing staff at BIVF. I also emailed Catherine with questions and she was prompt at getting back to me via email, and phone calls.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He is confident and has alot of experience with diminished ovarian reserve. However, his choice of protocols began to feel cookie-cutter, as he was not receptive to changing up the protocols for us, even after 4 IVF cycles with no pregnancy.
Many people feel that Dr. Berger comes across as arrogant, this didn't bother me very much, so long as he was confident in what he was doing. Which he wa. He always treated us with honesty and was straight-forward.
He recommended the estrogen priming antagonist protocol for me every time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Lamb)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's big and you begin to fee like a number. Your primary doctor will not always be the one doing your egg retrievals or transfers. You have to be comfortable with other RE's doing your procedures. For the procedures, you have to travel to Waltham, which may be farther than your home clinic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
They gave you times, but it was mostly a first-come, first-serve basis, which I liked.
Just co-pays
He did not have a strong preference as to the number of embryos transfered; however, if at day 3 he felt like you may lose some at day 4 or 5, he recommends transfering 2, for example, on day 3.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
On the day of a transfer, I found out Dr. Berger decided to transfer 2 embryos instead of 1 without letting us know prior.
South Shore

I'm glad that my husband and I trusted our gut instinct about what was best for us, and appreciated that Dr. Thornton and her team were flexible and supportive of our decision. ... What I can say is that in my initial consultation, Dr. Thornton gave me a lot of reassurance that treatment could work for us, got me started on treatment right away as I had hoped, and explained what she would recommend for us and why very thoroughly.
It did at times feel a bit like a baby factory with so many people coming in and out, but again, that seems expected when you choose a larger practice. I only had one procedure done at the clinic, with a few rounds of lab work, so my experiences are somewhat limited, but I had no complaints. ... However, given the sheer size of Boston IVF, it was hard to not feel a bit like a number during my actual treatment cycles, since there were so many women at the Waltham location for labs/treatments/etc.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I was only a patient for a few months as my second treatment cycle was successful, so I can't comment on some of the questions like how compassionate Dr. Thornton is or how willing to change treatment course she is -- those didn't come up during our treatment course. What I can say is that in my initial consultation, Dr. Thornton gave me a lot of reassurance that treatment could work for us, got me started on treatment right away as I had hoped, and explained what she would recommend for us and why very thoroughly. I ultimately had positive results after just two months and am forever grateful.
I would recommend advocating for yourself and what you feel is the best for you. Dr. Thornton recommended that we do letrozole + IUI, which did not work during our first month of treatment. I was concerned that the timing of the IUI the first month could have been a bit off and that that could have caused the unsuccessful cycle (we did not use a trigger or do any monitoring). As a result, for our second cycle, I felt strongly that I wanted to try letrozole + timed intercourse instead of the IUI, and expressed that to Dr. Thornton and her team. They were supportive of this change, and that was the month that we were successful. I'm glad that my husband and I trusted our gut instinct about what was best for us, and appreciated that Dr. Thornton and her team were flexible and supportive of our decision.
During my one-on-one consultation with Dr. Thornton, I very much felt treated like a human and was able to ask all of the questions I had. I felt she addressed my concerns adequately and gave me reassurance about beginning treatment. However, given the sheer size of Boston IVF, it was hard to not feel a bit like a number during my actual treatment cycles, since there were so many women at the Waltham location for labs/treatments/etc. I don't fault Dr. Thornton for this but rather feel it is almost inevitable when selecting a large fertility treatment center.
Both cycles, I took letrozole (I believe the dose was 7.5ish?) CD3-7. This was to help me ovulate strong eggs, and ideally more than 1 to help increase our chances of success. Our first cycle, I had an IUI performed. I was told to test with OPKs every morning before noon starting at CD 15. Once I had a positive test, I was to call and schedule my IUI for the next morning, and my husband would go in and drop off a fresh sample. We did this one time and were unsuccessful. Our second cycle, we used the same letrozole protocol but had timed intercourse once I began testing positive on OPKs. We were successful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I appreciate the size of this practice and the number of locations to choose from for providers. It did at times feel a bit like a baby factory with so many people coming in and out, but again, that seems expected when you choose a larger practice. I only had one procedure done at the clinic, with a few rounds of lab work, so my experiences are somewhat limited, but I had no complaints.
Framingham
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Luzzo made us feel like their was hope, but gave us the straight information...and we wanted both.... She was candid, but kind and gave us the straight up answers when we asked questions. She didn't sugarcoat things and we liked that.... It was a pretty standard IVF cycle, although she did provide a little different protocol in terms of the drugs and increased the estrogen for the treatment.
I think Boston IVF can be a great clinic, but because they are so large you get handed off to different doctors and we had to go to different clinics for different procedures. I like the fact that they have a whole mind, body, spirit component with IVF. They offer a support group that I joined that was helpful.... Most of the appointments were in the early morning so it was first come, first serve. That can be a little nerve wracking, but I got into my appointments all the time before I went to work.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
I think Dr. Luzzo was exactly what we wanted in a doctor. She was better than our previous one who had a better reputation. She was candid, but kind and gave us the straight up answers when we asked questions. She didn't sugarcoat things and we liked that.
Just be ready to hear the truth. She will give it to you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
She seemed very empathetic. She knew her stuff and that is always important. She seemed to get her job done quickly and proficiently.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Our insurance covered practically all of the costs and Dr. Luzzo was honest with us about additional procedures like Donor Eggs and PGS. We actually saved some money based upon her advice regarding Donor Eggs.
Boston IVF only does single transfer to prevent multiples. Our previous doctor did not. We did have a pregnancy with the previous clinic, but it resulted in a miscarriage.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I think our prescriptions were delayed for this last procedure. It wasn't a big deal, but it did cause a bit of anxiety for us to start the procedure.
2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Based on my diagnosis of DOR [by Dr. David Ryley] 2-3 embryos were thought to be best for transfer...Dr. Ryley has an excellent bedside manner. He is compassionate and friendly and explains the process well. I did not find him open to changing protocols nor did he seem particularly well versed in treating DOR...The last protocol I insisted upon; the first two were standard for the clinic and were attempted because women often respond differently to the 2 protocols.
My nurse [at Boston IVF] was not communicative regarding important parameters during my cycle (although other nurses were when she was not available to call.)...very efficient, wait times for monitoring are almost nonexistent, and retrievals and transfers run smoothly. Overall the clinic is very good. Based on my experience with one doctor, I would suggest that more alternative or atypical protocols be attempted, particularly in the case of conditions such as DOR.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Be your own advocate. Ask many questions, and insist on the treatment that you want. If you have a condition such as DOR, ask specifically what would differ in your treatment compared to women without DOR.
Antagonist protocol (I responded poorly), 2 micro-flare protocols (I responded better), and two A/ACP with estrogen priming protocols (I produced many more eggs). The last protocol I insisted upon; the first two were standard for the clinic and were attempted because women often respond differently to the 2 protocols.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi Atherton)
Heidi was very personable and polite, but provided almost no information regarding parameters during the cycle such as follicle number, estrogen levels, etc., even when I specifically requested that I be provided this information (often, a voicemail is left when the patient is busy at work). I have since learned that many patients are provided cycle calendars (Heidi does not provide them), and following often complicated instructions is much more difficult in the absence of a cycle calendar. Other mistakes were made, such as the source of sperm (fresh or frozen) many times, which definitely increased my stress level during the process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is very efficient, wait times for monitoring are almost nonexistent, and retrievals and transfers run smoothly. Overall the clinic is very good. Based on my experience with one doctor, I would suggest that more alternative or atypical protocols be attempted, particularly in the case of conditions such as DOR.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Massachusetts covers IVF cycles almost fully. For freezing and storing samples, as well as copays for medications, our overall costs during 5 IVF cycles over the course of 2 years was approximately $2500.
Based on my diagnosis of DOR, 2-3 embryos were thought to be best for transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Of the many times a call needed to be returned to me, only once or twice was I not called back. One major issue was failure to record use of a frozen sperm sample for each IVF cycle. Out of 5 cycles, only once was this done correctly (requiring me to make several calls before these retrievals to correct the error.) My nurse was not communicative regarding important parameters during my cycle (although other nurses were when she was not available to call.)