Merle Berger

Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Murphy is exceptionally empathetic and extremely knowledgeable. She answers all our statistical questions thoroughly...she offered her recommendations on next steps but created plenty of space for us to talk through possible alternative options. Even when I wasn't able to speak to her directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication...Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly...
Multiple locations of the clinic [Boston IVF] was great. The operations were pretty fluid. Sometimes it was difficult to get the time for an appointment I needed. But most of the time it worked out....They [nurses] always called back within the same day...Even when I wasn't able to speak to her [Dr. Murphy] directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication. I never needed to repeat myself to an RN. Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy is exceptionally empathetic and extremely knowledgeable. She answers all our statistical questions thoroughly. She addressed our anxieties thoughtfully. And she offered her recommendations on next steps but created plenty of space for us to talk through possible alternative options. Even when I wasn't able to speak to her directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication. I never needed to repeat myself to an RN. Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly. It always felt like she was rooting for us. She even called us at the end of her workday on a Friday evening after we miscarried to just talk to us and say sorry for the loss. It was unexpected and really heartwarming. It emphasized to us how she was our advocate and cheerleader in addition to being our doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Ask for what you need. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Even if she's not there doing a procedure, she's always aware of her patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy always took the time to answer every single question I had even if it was for a possible future procedure we may end up not doing. She balanced giving us the clinical best practice alongside the mental health implications as well as took consideration to the financial piece. The biggest part though was how she addressed my husband equally. She honored both our needs throughout the process.
Describe the protocols Lauren Murphy used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
5 rounds of IUI, some unmedicated, some medicated. One full IVF round including a retrieval with all the related medication. Then 2 rounds of IVF natural cycles with trigger shot. One was a single embryo transfer and the second two embryos. Then a third double embryo transfer with full medication. Prior to the third IVF transfer, we did an endometrio biopsy and mock transfer cycle for additional tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda, Hope, Jackie)
They always called back within the same day.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Multiple locations of the clinic was great. The operations were pretty fluid. Sometimes it was difficult to get the time for an appointment I needed. But most of the time it worked out.
Describe Lauren Murphy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We initially transferred one embryo, and then she was comfortable starting to transfer two embryos after that. The reasons felt clear primarily because we had been in this process for 2.5 years at that point.

2020 - 2022, Successful
I saw Dr. Luzzo for a second opinion after 4 failed FET cycles. She not only took a fresh careful approach to my diagnosis of unexplained secondary infertility, but was very thorough and knowledgeable about my medical history. She offered up options, answered all my questions, and was really personable....In my case, she recommended single embryo transfer, given tested embryos and other heath factors. We discussed a plan to consider multiple embryo transfers in the future if this next cycle is not successful.
Wonderfully organized and prompt communication. Really great clinicians, but the whole team [at Boston IVF] has been just excellent...My primary nurses have been Wendy and Liz- excellent and prompt communicators. They have been so compassionate- especially during my miscarriage, but also so helpful with the clinical and logistic aspects of each of my cycle...Dr. Luzzo is really personable and an excellent clinician.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Go see her as soon as you can! She is an excellent combination of clinical expertise and personable care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Luzzo is really personable and an excellent clinician. She remembered details about my (many) cycles and offered information and presented options in an understandable way, answering all my questions and making me part of the decision making process.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We started with a hysteroscopy, then an egg retrieval and PGT testing. Then proceeded with natural FET cycle and, although I had a miscarriage, I actually got pregnant, which was a first after 4 prior FET cycles and 3 IUIs!! We regrouped with a repeat hysteroscopy as it had been more than a year, removed some cerbical stenosis and completed a natural mock cycle with endometrial biopsy. Now I’m about to start a natural cycle for an embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy and Liz)
My primary nurses have been Wendy and Liz- excellent and prompt communicators. They have been so compassionate- especially during my miscarriage, but also so helpful with the clinical and logistic aspects of each of my cycles. They have patiently and empathetically answered all my questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Wonderfully organized and prompt communication. Really great clinicians, but the whole team has been just excellent! Everyone I have talked with or emailed has been helpful, kind, and informative. They have always been so patient with all my questions, even when I felt silly asking them!! So professional, but I never felt rushed or ignored.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
My insurance has given me pretty good coverage overall. Main costs included PGT testing, which wasn’t covered by my insurance. They communicated clearly upfront costs associated with this and called along the way if there were different options to choose from, such as when we were deciding how many of our embryos to send for PGT testing.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
She fully discussed pros and cons of both choices fully with me. In my case, she recommended single embryo transfer, given tested embryos and other heath factors. We discussed a plan to consider multiple embryo transfers in the future if this next cycle is not successful.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Penzias was clearly knowledgeable and explained things thoroughly. He is very friendly and cut to the chase regarding my age and chances of conception with my own eggs, but didn't imply that it "wasn't worth the time." I just felt like I wasn't always given enough time to ask questions or inquire about alternate conception methods...Based on my baseline hormone levels and age, a high dose of Gonal-F and Menopur were used to obtain the maximum number of eggs.
Appointments [at Boston IVF] were easy to make and super efficient. The ultrasounds techs and phlebotomists were very kind and friendly. As an aside, the patient portal went unnoticed for a long time, and I wasn't informed that almost all results would be reported there!..I felt like the care provided was adequate, but consults were often rushed, and I didn't feel encouraged to ask questions.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
List questions and make sure they are addressed at consult.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Based on my baseline hormone levels and age, a high dose of Gonal-F and Menopur were used to obtain the maximum number of eggs. Ultrasounds and bloodwork was done throughout cycle, but no adjustments were made as I responded well to stimulation meds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Masciovecchio)
Mostly communicated via email, they were responsive, and understanding of an anxious, woman TTC at an older age ;)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Appointments were easy to make and super efficient. The ultrasounds techs and phlebotomists were very kind and friendly. As an aside, the patient portal went unnoticed for a long time, and I wasn't informed that almost all results would be reported there!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered everything except PGT-A testing, about $3900/cycle.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Once I received PGT-A results, it was clear they were ready several days before I was informed.
Alan S. Penzias

2018 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Rita has taken her time during consultations to answer my questions and give me medical advice. She has been kind and understanding trying her best to help me achieve pregnancy...I am working with a gestational carrier, she was very good at carefully screening my carrier...One embryo transfer was highly recommended but two embryos was not denied for us.
[Boston IVF] Strength: communication, promptness, and thoroughness of their screenings. Both nurses and the doctor are very kind, compassionate and respond promptly to emails. Weakness: wait time for appointments is pretty long, can take anything between 4-6 weeks to get an appointment...The costs were pretty high, higher than other clinics I’ve worked with
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Rita is very kind, warm and compassionate. She is very knowledgeable and helpful. Tammy is my favorite nurse, she communicates often, is prompt, clear and supportive. Patients usually communicate with nurses more than the doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Have a list of questions, communicate all your worries, wants and needs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tammy Greenleaf )
Tammy communicates so well, she’s prompt, even responded on her days off. She was very knowledgeable, helpful and kind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
The costs were pretty high, higher than other clinics I’ve worked with
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Resetkova has sat and listened to me cry, both in person and over the phone, and has been so compassionate. She definitely does not just see us as a number, she has called me anytime she hears about a possible study or alternative, such as a clinic in LA that will allow same sex couples to adopt embryos, that may help us successfully achieve pregnancy...she goes out of her way to find ways to make this journey very individualized, to minimize your fears and help you understand this journey.
Layunda, or "Lou" [nurse at Boston IVF] as she is called, is so sweet and compassionate, she has always been so friendly and upbeat, and has been so supportive when things don't go as we want them to...The office opens early for monitoring appointments, which is great. On the weekends all monitoring is done at the Waltham office, and all procedures are done at the Waltham office, so the doctor that does your egg retrieval or embryo transfer may not be your primary physician but, the ENTIRE team is wonderful and so caring. My most recent post-op nurse was so attentive and helped me manage the pain I was having with such compassion.
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
I have had nothing but positive experiences with the team at BostonIVF South Shore, from the administrative staff, nurses, phlebotomist, ultrasound techs, and Dr. Resetkova. Everyone is so kind and seems to be genuinely interested in you and your path to parenthood. I can be open an honest with them about how all of this feels, and how frustrating an infertility diagnosis is. They were genuinely happy when we did achieve a pregnancy, and they cried with us when we lost that pregnancy. I feel so completely supported by the team at BostonIVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Be honest and open with her about your concerns, she goes out of her way to find ways to make this journey very individualized, to minimize your fears and help you understand this journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I did several un-medicated IUI cycles, then moved onto medicated IUI cylces, non of which resulted in pregnancy. We tried cycles with clomid, and FSH. Then we moved onto IVF, my first IVF cycle started with a short period of oral contraceptive then with used Gonal-F and Menopur to stimulated. We started with lower doses of the Gonal-F and increased as needed with monitoring. This cycle produced very few eggs and was converted to an IUI cycle which was unsuccessful. The next IVF cycle started with high doses of Gonal-F and Menopur, with this cycle we retrieved 8 eggs, more then she expected, 6 fertilized and 2 made it to good quality day 5 blastocysts. We opted not to test our embryos because we were worried with limited numbers we could risk losing them. We transferred both of these embryos and I was pregnant but, lost the baby to a trisomy at 18 weeks. My mos recent IVF cycle we followed the same medication plan, high doses of Gonal F and Menopur, we got 3 eggs, and 2 fertilized. We transferred both of these embryos on day 3. We are now in a holding period because of the COVID 19 pandemic. I am taking an oral contraceptive now in preparation for a hopeful cycle start in May. At that time we will be using Gonal F, Lupron, and Menopur (I believe).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Layunda)
Layunda, or "Lou" as she is called, is so sweet and compassionate, she has always been so friendly and upbeat, and has been so supportive when things don't go as we want them to.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
Some of my care was covered under insurance but, some was not. In total I believe we have spent over $10,000 on fertility treatments.
Describe Nina Resetkova's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Our physician explained to us that given my age, the likelihood of multiple pregnancy was low as we would likely lose 1/2 of the embryos transferred. If we retrieve more than 5 eggs that successfully fertilize we will wait until day 5 if possible and transfer 2, if we get less then 5 we will transfer on day 3 and will transfer up to 3 embryos based on quality.
Nina Resetkova
South Shore

She [Dr. Murphy] is very informative. She answers every question you have with a straight answer. She doesn't give false hope and she will tell you what to expect. Even with only one failed round, I am very eager to start my next round with her as my doctor because this is not an 100% chance thing and with her as my doctor I feel like my odds increase!
Boston ivf is very clean, organized, and friendly. The office is warm and inviting. They support any kind of couples. The nurses and doctors are great with names and faces with all the people they see daily. ... Dr. Murphy suggested 1 embryo transfer because of my age and heath. ... I can't remember her name but she was the beta nurse, always called me early on the days I went in for ultrasounds. Always called me back within the hour if I had a question for her.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
She is very informative. She answers every question you have with a straight answer. She doesn't give false hope and she will tell you what to expect. Even with only one failed round, I am very eager to start my next round with her as my doctor because this is not an 100% chance thing and with her as my doctor I feel like my odds increase!
Ask her any questions you have. She will always answer you.
Dr. Murphy was very kind and always answered my questions even if I thought they were stupid questions. She made me feel like no question is stupid. She gave me everything I needed to know and didn't give me false hope.
In my cycle I used menopur, ganirelix, and follistim for my egg retrieval. I got 19 eggs, 8 were fertilized and 4 made it to day 5. 1 was transferred, 2 were frozen. I started progesterone the day after my egg retrieval until after my negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
I reached my out of pocket maximum because of a surgery I had prior to starting ivf so I didn't have to pay much for ivf. My lifetime max is 25k and meds is 10k, I reached my med maximum very quickly but I paid nothing for almost all of the medications, except 1 that wasn't covered and my nurse got me a very good price.
Dr. Murphy suggested 1 embryo transfer because of my age and heath.

2019 - 2020, 13 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Berger took the time to understand my condition. He listened to me and diagnosed something I had my entire adult life and had gone undiagnosed for years...Within minutes of speaking with me and looking at my results he had determined that I had lean pcos. As he described symptoms that I’d had my entire life, I was in disbelief that someone I’d met minutes before had finally figured me out...
[Boston IVF is] Organized kind and helpful. Note that they are extremely busy (you may have to wait a bit to see Dr. Berger for first apt so do not hesitate to call now) but always call back as promised and are extremely helpful with scheduling...I did egg retrieval which was self pay. I believe cost was around $6,500 plus drugs...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Where to begin? I started my egg freeze process just about one year ago with a different doctor. All of my initial labs came back great. My first and second round of treatment ended with a terrible result (compared to what was expected). I ended up with only 3 mature eggs each time. The doctor I was seeing at the time diagnosed me with unexplained diminished ovarian reserve and more or less wrote me off. At this time, I went to Dr. Berger for a second opinion. Within minutes of speaking with me and looking at my results he had determined that I had lean pcos. As he described symptoms that I’d had my entire life, I was in disbelief that someone I’d met minutes before had finally figured me out. I was relieved but cautiously optimistic because of 2 bad cycles with the previous doctor. I began treatment for pcos. I just got back from my cycle with dr. Berger. I had 16 eggs retrieved and 13 frozen. That is four times what I got in my two previous cycles. I am so thankful I found Dr. Berger. Had I not gone to him for a second opinion I may never have known I had pcos and might have never figured this out. Additionally, he was extremely kind and informative. I cannot recommend him enough. Thank you Dr. Berger !!!!
Put your faith in his expertise!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Metformin to treat pcos Began estradiol one week before cycle day 1 Gonal f with decreasing dosage as treatment went on Low dose hcgc Certrotide Ovradil to trigger
Kind and helpful!
Waltham

Dr. Sneeringer recommended eSET for our first transfers, but after 2 unsuccessful tries, was open to transferring two for us...we appreciated her kindness and bedside manner. She was always up to date on our case, empathetic, and confident. She was open to any and all questions, and was thorough in explaining things to us. She tailored my testing to me specifically based on family history (adding some additional genetic tests after discussing my mother's fertility history)
Boston IVF is definitely a huge clinic, but we wanted that. We wanted a clinic that was invested in our success. Make sure you get to know your nurse coordinator, and know that you'll always leave a message on the nurse line and it will be returned in a timely manner. All of the lab and ultrasound staff are amazing as well. Morning monitoring is a seamless procedure at Boston IVF.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was a great fit for us, we appreciated her kindness and bedside manner. She was always up to date on our case, empathetic, and confident. She was open to any and all questions, and was thorough in explaining things to us. She tailored my testing to me specifically based on family history (adding some additional genetic tests after discussing my mother's fertility history).
Dr. Sneeringer was very kind, and we always appreciated our consultations with her. We felt supported by her and her team.
I did a basic antagonist protocol - 10 days of BCP, then 11 days of Gonal-F with the last 5 days adding Cetrotide. I did Ovidrel trigger for all procedures. She kept me on a mid-range protocol and wanted middle-of-the-road results for me, which she said we achieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was excellent, all of my medications were ordered without hiccup. My calls were always returned in a timely manner, and even weekend and after-hours staff were wonderful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
My care was completely covered by my insurance, except for my deductible for my egg retrieval.
2017 - 2020, Unsuccessful
During the first IUI cycle [with Dr. Pauli], we started with the lowest dose and incremented up until I was on the highest dose plus dexamethasone. For our egg retrieval, he had me do an antagonist protocol with Cetrotide. I don't know the rationale for this protocol over others, but I responded will in terms of follicles/mature eggs produced...he strongly suggested elective single embryo transfers for the first two transfers. After that, he seemed more amenable to doing a multiple embryo transfer if I pushed for that but still recommended single embryo transfers.
A few times I have not received a call [from Boston IVF] with details about the results of some diagnostic tests. I also had an incident during my third IUI where I received a false result. A mechanical malfunction caused my beta result to be recorded as positive rather than negative...is a large fertility clinic, which has advantages and disadvantages. One of the pros is that monitoring and time sensitive procedures (IUIs, retrievals, transfers) happen every day of the week, and with the exception of scheduling consultations with my RE, I'm able to schedule tests/procedures without huge delays/waits. The cons are that care may not be as personalized as it is at smaller clinics with fewer patients.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli has been fantastic. I really appreciate his straightforward manner. He's approach tends to be more conservative and while I have not gotten pregnant yet, I don't think this is a reflection of his clinical skills.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Ask lots of questions. Dr. Pauli always seemed willing to answer all my questions and explain his rationale for my treatment plans, and asking questions helped me to understand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli has really listened to my concerns, answered my questions compassionately, and was receptive when I asked about alternative transfer protocols.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did three IUIs with Dr. Pauli using letrozole, which he selected because the academic research indicates women with PCOS tend to respond better to letrozole than clomid. During the first IUI cycle, we started with the lowest dose and incremented up until I was on the highest dose plus dexamethasone. For our egg retrieval, he had me do an antagonist protocol with Cetrotide. I don't know the rationale for this protocol over others, but I responded will in terms of follicles/mature eggs produced. On retrieval day, we got 21 eggs, 16 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, and 6 embryos frozen on day 5. I did develop mild OHSS. For the first two frozen embryo transfers, Dr. Pauli had me on a birth control and Lupron down regulation then estrogen in increasing doses before starting progesterone in oil after a lining check. Both transfers resulted in negative betas. We switched to ovulation induction with letrozole and an HCG triggers shot for the third embryo transfer, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I stopped responding to letrozole, so we switched back to the original transfer protocol and did an ERA, which showed that I was 1 day pre-receptive and needed an additional 24 hours of progesterone. Our fourth embryo transfer resulted in a missed miscarriage between 6 and 8 weeks. Fifth transfer resulted in a negative beta test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicki)
Nurse Nicki primarily manages my care, and she has been fantastic. Occasionally, one of the other nurses on Dr. Pauli's team will manage my care and they have also been great. They almost always return my call on the same day if not within an hour or two of leaving a message.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
BostonIVF (which merged with IVF NE a couple years ago) is a large fertility clinic, which has advantages and disadvantages. One of the pros is that monitoring and time sensitive procedures (IUIs, retrievals, transfers) happen every day of the week, and with the exception of scheduling consultations with my RE, I'm able to schedule tests/procedures without huge delays/waits. The cons are that care may not be as personalized as it is at smaller clinics with fewer patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
My insurance has covered the majority of my costs.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
In my situation, he strongly suggested elective single embryo transfers for the first two transfers. After that, he seemed more amenable to doing a multiple embryo transfer if I pushed for that but still recommended single embryo transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A few times I have not received a call with details about the results of some diagnostic tests. I also had an incident during my third IUI where I received a false result. A mechanical malfunction caused my beta result to be recorded as positive rather than negative.
Gloucester

Dr. Wright is very direct. This does not work for everyone but worked for us. She also talked about what our next steps were and answered every question we had on our list. After 3 failed IUIs she brought us in again to talk about next steps...When my husband explained how all the treatment me were getting me down, she gave us a list of counselors to try...
They [the Boston IVF nurses] are the ones you see most while doing blood work and ultrasounds. They kept me calm or calmed me down when I was upset. They are always prompt in calling you back...They are in the process of moving to a bigger clinic. The only negative is my husband had to collect his sample in the bathroom instead of a collection room like the branch in Mass. has, which made him uncomfortable since it was so close to reception. Overall not a big deal. I like how there aren’t many people in there at any one time.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
If you have questions ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright is very direct and answers all questions asked. When my husband explained how all the treatment me were getting me down, she gave us a list of counselors to try.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
3 rounds of IUI with letrozol. I had many diagnostic testing before this. On the last round when my body wasn’t responding she up my letrozol and increased monitoring. I believe she did everything she could do before she said we couldn’t inseminate that last round.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The staff here is amazing. They are the ones you see most while doing blood work and ultrasounds. They kept me calm or calmed me down when I was upset. They are always prompt in calling you back.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The Bedford branch has been great. They are in the process of moving to a bigger clinic. The only negative is my husband had to collect his sample in the bathroom instead of a collection room like the branch in Mass. has, which made him uncomfortable since it was so close to reception. Overall not a big deal. I like how there aren’t many people in there at any one time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
I don’t remember all the individual costs with the diagnostic testing. An office visit costs almost $400 without a referral. IUI cost $1,200 plus meds.
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Kristen Wright
2018 - 2020, Successful
he [Dr. Samuel Pauli] may not come off as the warmest doctor in the practice, but he is highly skilled, and takes you as his patient into consideration with all of his plans...after working with him for several months we appreciated his level of in depth explanation and his approach to our case...He treated us with care and respect, took the time to answer any questions we had, and explained what our other doctor never took the time to review with us.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is clean, welcoming, and comfortable. This experience can be very overwhelming and it is nice that they have so many different satellite offices to fit your needs. I always felt comfortable in all locations...The nursing staff is always so great. You see them often through all parts of your cycle so the emotions are all over the place. They are always upbeat, informative and helpful...It [monitoring] was efficient and quick
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli came highly recommended to us after a not so positive experience with another doctor at another clinic. Upon our first meeting he put our minds at ease with his overall knowledge and handling of our case. He treated us with care and respect, took the time to answer any questions we had, and explained what our other doctor never took the time to review with us. He is extremely educated in the fertility process, so it can come off as cold at first but after working with him for several months we appreciated his level of in depth explanation and his approach to our case. Not only would I recommend him to my best friend, I did!
Understand he may not come off as the warmest doctor in the practice, but he is highly skilled, and takes you as his patient into consideration with all of his plans.
Dr Pauli explain each procedure thoroughly and answered all of our questions. He gave his opinions and listened to ours.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is clean, welcoming, and comfortable. This experience can be very overwhelming and it is nice that they have so many different satellite offices to fit your needs. I always felt comfortable in all locations
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
It was efficient and quick
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Most of my care was covered under my health insurance plan
Lexington

Dr. Berger was a breath of fresh air...really took my diagnosis into account in planning my cycle and monitored my progress very closely...made me feel very informed and like my protocol was truly customized...even called me on a Saturday without prompting to let me know his plans during my cycle as I progressed...I don’t believe I would have my beautiful twins if it weren’t for him and his attention to my case.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is a well oiled machine. Lots of personnel and great hours to be able to fit you in. I appreciated the patient portal and regular communication. It can sometimes feel like it’s too big but I still felt like I got to know the staff well...[Dr. Berger] really took my diagnosis into account in planning my cycle and monitored my progress very closely. I don’t believe I would have my beautiful twins if it weren’t for him and his attention to my case.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger was a breath of fresh air after my first doctor. He really took my diagnosis into account in planning my cycle and monitored my progress very closely. I don’t believe I would have my beautiful twins if it weren’t for him and his attention to my case.
Get on the schedule as early as possible as he is very busy and don’t be afraid to ask any question.
He made me feel very informed and like my protocol was truly customized. He even called me on a Saturday without prompting to let me know his plans during my cycle as I progressed.
Estrogen priming, step down protocol with FSH and hcg
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
All the staff at Boston IVF have always been fantastic.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is a well oiled machine. Lots of personnel and great hours to be able to fit you in. I appreciated the patient portal and regular communication. It can sometimes feel like it’s too big but I still felt like I got to know the staff well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
All covered under insurance except for co-pays for appointments and meds ($20/appt, $30/med)
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Given my significant DOR, both doctors I saw felt multiple embryo transfer was appropriate to maximize chances. I am somewhat young and in very good health so was a good candidate for carrying twins as my OB explained.

2020, Consult
Dr Carla [DiGirolamo] is empathetic and compassionate...she is never rushed, tries to understand the problem, work on the diagnosis, and make sure all treatments/risks are fully explained. While she presents options as a doctor, she also gives a good balance of helping us select options we prefer
Strengths: Boston IVF Waltham and Westborough offices are both great clinics with some wonderful doctors and nurses. They are very organized such that wait times are minimal too. Weaknesses: Yet to begin treatment, so can't say yet
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr Carla is empathetic and compassionate. It has been a pleasure working with her as she is never rushed, tries to understand the problem, work on the diagnosis, and make sure all treatments/risks are fully explained. While she presents options as a doctor, she also gives a good balance of helping us select options we prefer (instead of doctors not giving us enough information and expecting patients to decide on their own).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Go for it!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr Carla was patient, empathetic and open to hearing about all previous treatments/alternate treatments as well. She was never rushed, and made sure I and my spouse had all my questions covered. She also made sure to get into as much detail as we'd like to understand treatments. Look forward to the actual treatment and result with her when we get to it!
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Yet to begin any treatment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Shelby Sparby)
Shelby has been the most compassionate and helpful through the entire experience
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
Office/outpatient visit $443
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Yet to begin any treatment
Westborough

2019 - 2020, Consult
She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood...She was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand...She took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood...I have not started treatment yet but she has suggested an unmedicated IUI.
[staff of Boston IVF] Everyone that I have come into contact in person or on the phone has been very kind and patient. They are able to explain any questions that I have had and don't rush through it...Come prepared with any questions you may have. She [Dr. DiGirolamo] was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood. She also was not at all judgmental (something I was afraid of going into the first appointment).
Come prepared with any questions you may have. She was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand.
She was honest and I did not feel rushed in appointments. She took time to explain everything.
I have not started treatment yet but she has suggested an unmedicated IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were amazing. The were kind and the woman who took my blood was the best I have ever had. No bruise left which never has happened before.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone that I have come into contact in person or on the phone has been very kind and patient. They are able to explain any questions that I have had and don't rush through it. Everyone seems to really care.

2011 - 2019, Successful
Each time we had a negative result she (Dr. Kerri Luzzo) would help dust us off and get us back in the saddle. When I got my first positive pregnancy, she was so excited she called me with the results. When we “graduated” we opted not to know the gender but asked her to surprise us, she made out a card for us to open when we were ready. Although later I lost my pregnancy due to IC ( incompetent Cervix), we got pregnant again and again and she would always tell me to text her or email her and keep her updated. She would contact me on my appointment days wishing me luck and I would share sonogram photos with her and updates. She genuinely cares about her patients. I never had a bad experience with her.
Just like Dr. Luzzo her staff Julie Perry( Dr.Luzzo coordinator), Joanna Leroux, (front desk) Wendy Shaw (nurse) Heidi LaValley( ultrasound tech), Chrystal Norates (phlebotomists) were amazing. They are the best team to work with and when you are there often it’s nice to have such great faces welcoming you in. We have all became like family. Dr Luzzo’s team [at Boston IVF] is incredible. They also kept in touch during my pregnancies and I have made some great friends that I consider very close...The cost of care was expensive. We had changed our insurance company last year but some costs were not always covered. We spent a couple thousand dollars each cycle for medications, some bloodwork (3rd party ), co-payments and meeting our deductible, also our genetic testing was not covered the first time so that cost us $3,700 for the testing of 5-8 day 5 embryos. IVF is not cheap and we have done it multiple times. Luckily, the last time we had the PGS testing done, insurance covered the cost with the recommendation from the doctor.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Nine years ago when I started seeing Dr. Luzzo she was very thorough and helped us to understand everything that we were about to experience. We had started out from the very beginning of time in intercourse to the IUI procedures, to IVF, to IVF with ICSI hatching , to IVF with ICSI , hatching and PGS. It’s been a long journey, and she has been with us through the whole thing. Each time we had a negative result she would help dust us off and get us back in the saddle. When I got my first positive pregnancy, she was so excited she called me with the results. When we “graduated” we opted not to know the gender but asked her to surprise us, she made out a card for us to open when we were ready. Although later I lost my pregnancy due to IC ( incompetent Cervix), we got pregnant again and again and she would always tell me to text her or email her and keep her updated. She would contact me on my appointment days wishing me luck and I would share sonogram photos with her and updates. She genuinely cares about her patients. I never had a bad experience with her.
Don’t give up on her, she will do everything she can to figure it out and help you. Trust her advice and her treatment plan. She’s more than just a RE , she is one of the best.
Dr. Luzzo has always been such a huge support to my husband and I during our journey. She has called me from her home to check on me, she also had given me her personal cell phone number to keep her updated after my “graduation” ( when you transfer to OB with pregnancy). Whenever we would come to the office and she would see us she would always make small chitchat and was always smiling and laughing with us. When times were hard, she would check on us and hug us. Dr Luzzo became like family. I completely trust her and I know she has and would do whatever she can to help us become a family. When your going through such a hard challenge like infertility, it’s important that the doctor takes their time with you and is patient. Dr Kerri Luzzo is the best IVF RE and I would never change doctors.
I don’t remember each treatment strategy however, when we did the IVF process we did the Gonal-F and started our doses low I believe (75) and then gradually higher , by our 3rd retrieval we started high (300) and stayed high approx 2-3 weeks. We also did Menopur and again started at 1 vial then by our 3rd retrieval we started at 2 vials during the 2-3 weeks. Then we would go in for ultrasounds and check on the follicle growth and count and bloodwork for levels of LH and FSH. Slow and steady wins the race! Close to the time of “ triggering “ (ovulation stimulant) I would start on cetrotide (.25MG)for the last week and then when ready to finally “pop” the nurse would call with the time that I would inject the Pregnyl (HCG). Then about 48 hours later I would have the eggs retrieved and ready for testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Julie Perry)
Just like Dr. Luzzo her staff Julie Perry( Dr.Luzzo coordinator), Joanna Leroux, (front desk) Wendy Shaw (nurse) Heidi LaValley( ultrasound tech), Chrystal Norates (phlebotomists) were amazing. They are the best team to work with and when you are there often it’s nice to have such great faces welcoming you in. We have all became like family. Dr Luzzo’s team is incredible. They also kept in touch during my pregnancies and I have made some great friends that I consider very close.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
As a new patient you might be overwhelmed but they make it as easy as possible for you. The strength of this clinic is that they work as a team and work all together. They are very friendly, thorough and compassionate.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Monitoring appointments would be scheduled for early mornings. There had been times where I was stuck in traffic and running late for my appointment when I would call they would say don’t worry we’ll see you when you get here. One time I did forget about my appointment and they called me to make sure I was ok, and we just rescheduled for the next day. The nice thing about the appts is that they can start very early in the morning so you can still make it to work on time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Because of my age we would only put in one, since it could split and we knew they were checked for chromosomal abnormalities. I trusted her advice and was ok with just the one at a time approach.

2014 - 2019, Unknown Success
[Dr. Rita Sneeringer] was easy to speak with, gave facts in a kind manner...She is conservative with the medical technology and prefers to "put the eggs through hoops" with lab growth then genetic testing...does not prefer to have Day 3, Day 5 transfers. Prefers genetic screening then frozen transfer. Prefers 2 embryos at most...I felt she brought up donor eggs too early after one unsuccessful cycle
[Boston IVF] Primary care nurse was professional but not compassionate. Made statements that weren't necessary. I had to insist on email to have better communication...all my surgeries were also at the clinic and I felt at ease with the surgical team...Egg freezing cycles = $15,000-17,000. 3 elective frozen egg cycles. Human growth hormone = $3,000.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer is probably one of the best in the industry. She is compassionate, friendly, and genuinely wants to see you succeed. She knows when to also be firm and assert her expertise. She did let me ask about novel protocols, etc. The one issue is she is conservative and plays it safe. I was also using frozen eggs. She insisted on developing the eggs past 5 day blasts and having genetic testing on both fresh and frozen eggs. After several failed cycles I asked for a Day 3 transfer and she agreed to a Day 5 transfer. That helped me conceive. But we used every egg and I have no frozen eggs left. I often wish we had done a Day 5 transfer on earlier cycles. Or we had frozen the one remaining embryo that was left with the frozen egg at Day 5. I may have been able to have one more child?
Dr. Sneeringer is one of the best fertility specialists. She is genuine and cares. Some people prefer a stronger voice, but she is professional and asserts her medical expertise when necessary. She is conservative with the medical technology and prefers to "put the eggs through hoops" with lab growth then genetic testing. I felt she brought up donor eggs too early after one unsuccessful cycle. But otherwise, every interaction with her was professional and with the highest level of medical attention and care.
MD was easy to speak with, gave facts in a kind manner. Head nurse had little bedside manner and even made a statement saying that I shouldn't expect good results as I have low ovarian reserve. It was psychologically difficult process and did not need to be exacerbated.
Cycle 1 - 4 Frozen, Fresh retrieval Cycle 2 - 3 Frozen, Fresh retrieval Cycle 3 - 0 Frozen, Fresh retrieval - Genetic Screening - 1 AA embryo, Frozen transfer Cycle 4 - 7 Frozen, Fresh retrieval - 1 BB embryo and one morula, Day 5 transfer, 1 conception (no genetic screening due to day 5 transfer) Strategies used: 7% chance of frozen eggs working, so best to have fresh cycles with frozen eggs. Always use genetic screening to be safe even with eggs frozen at age 35 and 36.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg Kennedy)
Primary care nurse was professional but not compassionate. Made statements that weren't necessary. I had to insist on email to have better communication. Also, I'm in meetings all day, open office, and wireless firewalls for mobile phone issues. The secondary nurse, Bonnie, was much easier to work with, understood how/why I needed to communication using certain means.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I chose a suburban clinic and not a hospital so that I could receive better 1 on 1 attention. It was much more pleasant than going into a clinical setting. I liked that all my surgeries were also at the clinic and I felt at ease with the surgical team. Weakness was easily being able to get to the clinic. Luckily, my physician also worked in a clinic near my home and I was able to get monitoring and blood work there and still make it to work on time.
Dr. Sneeringer does not prefer to have Day 3, Day 5 transfers. Prefers genetic screening then frozen transfer. Prefers 2 embryos at most. Conservative with number of embryos to be transferred.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I personally took paper documents to another IVF clinic. An electronic transfer would have been easier. However, that was the only issue. There were never drug Rx mistakes or surgical mistakes.

Embryo Freezing
I felt like he [Samuel Pauli] looked into my case individually and didn’t give me a blank diagnosis and treatment....Coming from a doctor with no bedside manner Dr. Pauli is a breathe of fresh air. He has a sense of humar which is needed in this journey...He isn’t in the business’s of making multiples and does what’s best for you to not have a high risk pregnancy....
Friendly phlebotomist and ultrasound techs. Clean and modern office [Boston IVF Lexington]. Always on time for morning blood work and monitoring which I appreciate to get to work on time. Once I showed up to the wrong office and instead of making me leave and travel to another office they handled it like no big deal and fit me right in, I didn’t even have to wait. The awesome nurse knowing I’m self pay suggested I may qualify for a discount I wasn’t aware of. They also gave me med samples from the sample closet to save me a significant amount of money. New policy: sometimes you sign into the portal to look at results but it’s hard to make sense of the hormone levels.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Coming from a doctor with no bedside manner Dr. Pauli is a breathe of fresh air. He has a sense of humar which is needed in this journey and comes highly recommended in the online support group I’m in.
If you’re looking to pick a fertility doctor or make a change go for it!
I felt like he looked into my case individually and didn’t give me a blank diagnosis and treatment.
changing my injections as needed to keep follicles growing while also trying to prevent OHSS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brittany )
Goes above and beyond!! She gave me extra samples of meds since I’m self pay, filled out multiple papers for applying for scholarships and always calls in the afternoon with blood work results.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Friendly phlebotomist and ultrasound techs. Clean and modern office. Always on time for morning blood work and monitoring which I appreciate to get to work on time. Once I showed up to the wrong office and instead of making me leave and travel to another office they handled it like no big deal and fit me right in, I didn’t even have to wait. The awesome nurse knowing I’m self pay suggested I may qualify for a discount I wasn’t aware of. They also gave me med samples from the sample closet to save me a significant amount of money. New policy: sometimes you sign into the portal to look at results but it’s hard to make sense of the hormone levels.
$9,400 for IVF and monitoring plus medication roughly $2,000-$4,000
Lexington

You will have a wait when seeing Dr. Berger, however this is a positive thing as he does not rush any patient in his office. I appreciate the time he takes to complete a thorough evaluation/consultation which is individualized to the patient. ... I went into this experience knowing little about the IVF process and Dr. Berger put my mind at ease, being patient with answering any questions I had while in his office.
Boston IVF Quincy is easily accessible. The lab-work, ultrasound run right on time in the morning which is wonderful for anyone that needs to get to work. The Quincy lab tech is fabulous and the front desk staff always helpful. ... Monitoring appointments were very convenient they were set up in a window. ... The strengths of the nurses are that they always get back to you same day when you leave a message. The weaknesses are that the nurses are not consistently assigned to your case.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I would highly recommend Dr. Brian Berger. I went into this experience knowing little about the IVF process and Dr. Berger put my mind at ease, being patient with answering any questions I had while in his office. He gave me a course of treatment/plan that he recommended but did not pressure me into it, allowing me to weigh out my options and do my own research which was very important for me since I am a self pay patient.
Dr. Brian Berger was very thorough at each visit/consultation. We never felt rushed while in his office and truly felt like our medical history was important in creating a plan for success.
I believe i was on a FSH protocol, slow controlled stimulation, I stimmed for approximately 15 or 16 days, and due to risk for hyperovarian simulation syndrome I triggered with Lupron and had no issues. I had 24 eggs retrieved, 16 fertilized and 11 embryos that made it to blasts/freeze at day 5/6.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Monitoring appointments were very convenient they were set up in a window.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
I am self pay, IVF with medications and frozen transfer with PGS testing roughly 22,000
N/A have not had transfer yet
South Shore

She [Dr. Kim Thornton] is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me...Boston IVF is great in the way that they have offices all over. I mainly go wot a Worcester but have been to Waltham and Lexington for ultrasounds and blood work. They also have in-house acupuncture which is great. Weaknesses, their financial coordinators are VERY quick and only give you information if you ask for it. I found out after my first cycle that self pay clients could apply for a discount (income based) which would have really helped to know before!
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I wasn’t sure where to start on the IVF journey. It’s very overwhelming, I filled out an online contact form and received a call from Boston IVF and they paired me with Dr Thornton. Other may not have left the best reviews but I personally think she has been great for us. She is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
If you want someone to give you hugs and kisses, Dr Thornton isn’t the one for you, but if you want an honest approach she definitely won’t sugar coat the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I definitely felt with the small Worcester office Dr Thornton knew it was me there To meet with her. She always talked to me not at me which I appreciate.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
When I first met with add Thornton I was 39 turning 40, my husband had a failed vasectomy reversal. She initially suggested we go back to the office who did the reversal to see if we could retrieve sperm from him. Once that procedure was complete we moved very quickly. We started with Gonal-F and Menopur and then added Cetrotide. Trigger was done and then egg retrieval. Once retrieval was done I started on Endometrin 3 times a day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn )
The nursing staff is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Costs were pretty high! I am self pay meaning insurance doesn’t cover anything for the cycle. All pre blood work was covered but once the cycle started I obtained a loan for $15,000 and paid $1000 out of pocket on top of that. That included medication
Kim L. Thornton
Worcester

During our initial discussion with Dr. Berger we felt he really listened to us, asked us very detailed questions and follow up questions, and thoroughly went over options and potential treatment plans. He generally just had amazing bedside manner. We’ve done two retrievals (about to do our third), and the follow up meetings with Dr. Berger were lengthy, he went over every single detail of what went wrong and what went right, and gave us plenty of tome to ask all our questions. We never felt rushed during our meetings.
The monitoring appointments [at Boston IVF- South Shore] were fast! I was always done with the ultrasound and blood draw within 20 minutes of arriving at Quincy or Waltham. Also, I live on the Cape, and Boston IVF has an arrangement with a local Ultrasound clinic. I was able to do monitoring Monday-Thursday on the Cape, I had to go to Quincy on Friday’s, and Waltham on Sat & Sun.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Every experience we’ve had with Dr. Berger has strengthened our trust in him. He has great bedside manner, thoroughly explains every step of the process and his reasons behind his decisions for our treatment. He also doesn’t sugarcoat anything, which is appreciated.
Do as much research as possible and learn the lingo. There is a lot of new information, it can be overwhelming to try and follow a conversation at first. Be your own advocate and always bring a list of questions.
I did not do Birth Control priming, instead I was put on Estrogen pills twice a day for 10 days before my period. On day 2 of my cycle I started Gonal-F and Low Dose HCG. My first cycle started with 325 of Gonal-F and 20 of Low Dose HCG, Cetrotide was added around day 9 to slow the growth of the leading follicles. I stimmed for 13 days total. They retrieved 19 follicles, 15 were mature, 6 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5 and one was transferred. The other embryo stopped growing later on day 5. I didn’t get pregnant from this round. Round 2 used the same medications, but upped the dosages to get larger follicles. My starting doses were 450 of Gonal-F and 40 of Low Dose HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meghan)
Meghan was our primary nurse and Stephanie was our nurse about 30% of the time. They both were great. The office has a policy to return all phone calls if they are left before 4pm, and I loved that.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only negative I have with Boston IVF is the lack of direct communication with Dr Berger. We have done 2 IVF cycles and have only talked with Dr. Berger 3 times. All other appointments and communication have been with Ultrasound techs or the nursing team. This hasn’t actually been a problem for us, everyone has been great to work with, but it could be a big negative for some patients.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
The monitoring appointments were fast! I was always done with the ultrasound and blood draw within 20 minutes of arriving at Quincy or Waltham. Also, I live on the Cape, and Boston IVF has an arrangement with a local Ultrasound clinic. I was able to do monitoring Monday-Thursday on the Cape, I had to go to Quincy on Friday’s, and Waltham on Sat & Sun.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
I live in Massachusetts and my insurance covers IVF coverage. So I only had to meet my yearly $2000 deductible, and pay $50 copays for office visits with the Dr. My prescription copays added up to about $300 per cycle. We are electing to do PGS testing on the embryos, costing $3700 for 8 embryos.
Dr. Berger strongly recommend we only transfer one embryo and we agreed.
South Shore

I feel that she [Dr. Luzzo] is very polite and kind. I also feel like this whole industry is in it for money....We had discussed if we could possibly get supplemental insurance but she told my husband and I we don’t have 6 months to wait due to my egg quality/quantity.... I also felt a little rushed in the office going over our diagnostic results. Overall I do like her and she is kind...she busted I get genetically tested for fragile X and the whole genetic testing panel along with my husband. Then from there I will begin medication for egg retrieval depending on payments.
Awesome secretary. Very pleasant to talk to in person and via phone. [Boston IVF] Has never been hard to get an appointment. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The phlebotomist does an outstanding job taking blood- probably the best I’ve had. She is very sweet. The finical advisor is very helpful and has been working to try to fight our insurance company to pay for IVF. Even though they won’t she hasn’t given up. I don’t have anything bad to say about the clinic itself.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
I feel that she is very polite and kind. I also feel like this whole industry is in it for money. So I have a hard time separating myself from this. Our insurance covers absolutely nothing for IVF. We had discussed if we could possibly get supplemental insurance but she told my husband and I we don’t have 6 months to wait due to my egg quality/quantity. So where do we come up with all this money?! I’m sure she’s correct but is she just saying this for the money too. I also felt a little rushed in the office going over our diagnostic results. Overall I do like her and she is kind. Just bitter in general over this whole process and not being able to afford it.
Come prepared with any questions you may have.
The whole team that works with Dr.Luzzo is very kind and friendly. I feel like the staff is more personable than the Dr.Luzzo even though she is very nice.
I have yet gone for egg retrieval trying to figure out where the money is coming from. She busted I get genetically tested for fragile X and the whole genetic testing panel along with my husband. Then from there I will begin medication for egg retrieval depending on payments.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staffs been great and very compassionate. Only had one nurse via phone tell me I could have been having multiple miscarriages because I breast fed my child once every 24 hours. Which was no accurate at all and she should have never said that. Otherwise everyone has been pleasant and calls me back the same day with any questions or concerns I have.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Awesome secretary. Very pleasant to talk to in person and via phone. Has never been hard to get an appointment. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The phlebotomist does an outstanding job taking blood- probably the best I’ve had. She is very sweet. The finical advisor is very helpful and has been working to try to fight our insurance company to pay for IVF. Even though they won’t she hasn’t given up. I don’t have anything bad to say about the clinic itself. Oh wait besides the parking lot haha -the spaces are so tiny it can be difficult to park or back up.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Egg retrieval $12,000 PGS testing 3/4 eggs $3,800.medications thousands. and transfer $7-$8 thousand and the dethawing of embryo after pgs testing $1,000-$1,200. If need another egg retrieval it would be $12,000 again. So one round of IVF with fertilized egg and pgs testing $25,000. If needing more than one egg retrieval add $13,000 more into that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Went to redo my FSH and AMH levels and they forgot to order my AMH levels so I had to go back the next day. Which is a 45 minute drive for me.
North Dartmouth

2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
[Dr. Ryley] was great to work with, very thorough and very honest. He tried to make a little too much small talk for my husband's liking, but I found him very calming and very professional. When our first round of eggs from our egg retrieval turned out to be abnormal he was very sympathetic, he asked if we wanted to move on and didn't pressure us to do another round of IVF and egg retrieval. He did explain what they would do differently to help us get a better outcome.
I was diagnosed with cancer and told to speak to someone at Boston IVF to help preserve my fertility and give my husband and me the best chance to have a baby after treatment. Dr Ryley's office fit me in so quickly and were so helpful in this process....It's a very big operation with multiple offices, which is great because you can go to the one closest to your home for early morning ultrasounds, but if you need a weekend appointment you can only go to one specific clinic in Waltham, MA.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He was great to work with, very thorough and very honest. He tried to make a little too much small talk for my husband's liking, but I found him very calming and very professional. When our first round of eggs from our egg retrieval turned out to be abnormal he was very sympathetic, he asked if we wanted to move on and didn't pressure us to do another round of IVF and egg retrieval. He did explain what they would do differently to help us get a better outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I would tell a prospective patient that he will give you a lot of information. Lots of statistics, probabilities, timelines etc.. If you're not someone who likes a lot of data it can be overwhelming, but its also important to know what the process looks like and what the chances are.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I was diagnosed with cancer and told to speak to someone at Boston IVF to help preserve my fertility and give my husband and me the best chance to have a baby after treatment. Dr Ryley's office fit me in so quickly and were so helpful in this process. Within a few weeks we were applying to oncofertility programs to receive reduced cost medications and undergoing IVF. After our first round of egg retrieval all of our eggs were abnormal, and Dr. Ryley was so nice and comforting about it. It made em feel like he cared about our journey as people and not just numbers and success for Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi Atherton)
Heidi was an amazing nurse to work with. So generous with her time and always available for questions. I cam to the office on the first day of shots and she sat with me while we went over the steps and as I mimed multiple times how to go through the process. she also made herself available to FaceTime with me that evening so she could watch what I was doing and offer assistance and answer questions. She seemed to put in a lot of time working with me to find oncofertility programs that would allow us to receive free or reduced cost medications.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's a very big operation with multiple offices, which is great because you can go to the one closest to your home for early morning ultrasounds, but if you need a weekend appointment you can only go to one specific clinic in Waltham, MA. And with the main office being in Boston parking can get really expensive, it costs $4-$7 to park at one location, and if they're running behind it can be even more. Though every office has a coffee machine - a small perk so you can spend your morning coffee money on parking and get free coffee in the office. Because of my cancer diagnosis they worked really hard to get me in quickly so that we could start right away, I believe I called on a Friday and saw the doctor the next Wednesday.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Because of my cancer diagnosis a lot of our treatment was covered by insurance or medication grants. Most of our routine payments were copays, or partially covered by insurance. We did opt for two items not covered by insurance: the ICSI procedure (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection -$2,500) and the PGTA (preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy - approximately $3,900 - final price dependent on the number of eggs retrieved).
David Ryley
Boston

I see Dr. Berger as a remote patient--he is in Boston and I live in NY. I went to him for a second opinion after positive referrals, and liked him so much we stayed with his office despite the difficulty of added coordination being in separate cities....I have a very low AMH and low medication response. The most recent cycle and the one that yielded the most success (12 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized, 3 PGS normal, 2 transferred thus far, 0 implanted), consisted of: estrogen patch priming protocol, stim Gonal F
Boston IVF is a very well-run facility. They are flexible with remote patients, helping to coordinate outside monitoring, etc. The staff is compassionate and helpful. Like any large clinic you will be seen by a number of different doctors for retrieval and transfer if doing IVF....The nursing team was very responsive and kind. There are a few different nurses working with Dr. Berger and I can usually get the answers I'm seeking. They also allow email communication, which is extremely helpful
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I see Dr. Berger as a remote patient--he is in Boston and I live in NY. I went to him for a second opinion after positive referrals, and liked him so much we stayed with his office despite the difficulty of added coordination being in separate cities. We have not had success yet, but we have had more positive progress than we had at Weill Cornell, and better understand the course of treatment and possibilities for us. He is more willing to change protocols than my previous doctor, trying for the optimal response given my low AMH.
Ask about changes in protocols if you are unsatisfied--he is very willing to discuss.
Dr. Berger is very patient and considerate. He is empathetic. While most of our calls open with him saying I wish we were discussing better news, it feels genuine each time. You can tell he is very committed to his patients.
I have a very low AMH and low medication response. The most recent cycle and the one that yielded the most success (12 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized, 3 PGS normal, 2 transferred thus far, 0 implanted), consisted of: estrogen patch priming protocol, stim Gonal F (600 for 6 days, 450 2 days, 375 2 days), 50 low dose HCG (10 days), cetrotide (4 days).
The nursing team was very responsive and kind. There are a few different nurses working with Dr. Berger and I can usually get the answers I'm seeking. They also allow email communication, which is extremely helpful especially when traveling and unable to call during working hours. During active treatment cycles, there seems to be a trend in the time of callbacks with "news" - early calls are positive calls, the bad news comes late in the day. That may not be the case, but it usually pans out.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a very well-run facility. They are flexible with remote patients, helping to coordinate outside monitoring, etc. The staff is compassionate and helpful. Like any large clinic you will be seen by a number of different doctors for retrieval and transfer if doing IVF. Some have greater success than others when doing retrieval (as is likely common with all procedures). Comparatively, being at Weill Cornell in NYC for 3 years prior where I felt very much like a number vs a patient, and had a hard time communicating with my doctor, Boston IVF was welcome change and despite not having any success yet still feels like a step in a more positive direction.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
I was seen for monitoring at a clinic in NYC, Columbia Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
IVF Egg Retrieval/Freeze/ PGS= $7,750 + $3,900 (freeze) then $4,000 for future transfer (plus meds) Donor Egg is $12,000 plus medication and donor agency fee’s if you are using an agency ($7K to 15k could be more)
I don't think we spent enough time on the pros/cons of single vs multiple. The thinking initially was that because they were PGS normal, implantation was more likely, so if transferring 2 you should really want twins.
Boston

I started ivf at 40, at no point has Dr Murphy ever made me feel like having a baby is an unattainable goal for me. She is smart, well respected and one of the most genuine and compassionate docs I have ever had. I couldn’t imagine going through this with any other doc by my side...My biggest issue is a lack of mature eggs. Dr Murphy switched up my trigger to a double after my first retrieval only resulted in 2 mature eggs despite having 10 measurable follicles. The double (lupron and HCG) have definitely improved my outcomes.
Amy [nurse at Boston IVF] has been wonderful. I always feel like I’m talking to an extension of Dr Murphy when I talk to her. She returns my calls quickly and always has an answer ready for any of my questions...Many people say Boston IVF is like a “factory.” My experience has been the total opposite. I feel so well cared for. Even when I had my miscarriage, I had already been released to an OB but asked if BIVF would do my follow up care and they didn’t hesitate to take me back as a patient immediately despite that not being standard operating procedure. I will never regret my decision to go to this clinic!
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr Murphy is by far one of my favorite doctors. She is compassionate, honest and truly cares about her patients. Every nurse I have seen at varying clinic locations comments on her incredible bedside manner. I started ivf at 40, at no point has Dr Murphy ever made me feel like having a baby is an unattainable goal for me. She is smart, well respected and one of the most genuine and compassionate docs I have ever had. I couldn’t imagine going through this with any other doc by my side.
She is only in the South Shore office one day a week so appointments can be hard but I have found her main office in Brookline to not be a challenge at all!
Dr. Murphy truly cares about her patients. She has celebrated our successes and grieved our failures right along with us.
I have been using Menopur, Gonal and Cetrotide. My biggest issue is a lack of mature eggs. Dr Murphy switched up my trigger to a double after my first retrieval only resulted in 2 mature eggs despite having 10 measurable follicles. The double (lupron and HCG) have definitely improved my outcomes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy M)
Amy has been wonderful. I always feel like I’m talking to an extension of Dr Murphy when I talk to her. She returns my calls quickly and always has an answer ready for any of my questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
I have been very fortunate to have good insurance. Just wish I could afford PGS!

2019, Consult
Dr. Pauli was clear, direct and provided us with information that we needed to plan our treatment. Dr. Pauli presented treatment in a clear and straightforward way and was pragmatic about the course of treatment. Dr. Pauli laid out the process clearly and gave us some options. He was open to our preferences and laid out benefits and drawbacks to all potential courses...will take time, but he is also efficient and sees a lot of people. I did not get the feeling he was trying to move us along, but I came with a lot of information already, and my husband wanted to get his head around the process more. He got flustered and didn't remember some questions he had previously. Don't be discouraged that he is not initially the warmest doctor. He was pretty flat, but he is clear, direct and thorough, which at this point I value more than warmth.
Grace [nurse at Boston IVF] greeted us by name and was so kind. She met with us after and seemed willing to go the extra step to get us information we had requested around financing and potential for remote monitoring at an office closer to us, as we are self pay. She explained next steps to us, and was supportive and patient with all of our questions...We have been quoted: 8,450 IVF...The office we were seen at is a transitional space for the clinic. It was an older space within a hospital that has nice ambiance. I initially questioned whether or not we were in the right place because the suite is shared with another service within the hospital. We waited for awhile to be seen and then to meet with the nurse. Everyone was kind, but it does not seem that any department has an idea about the workings of other aspects of the operation. That makes some sense, but was confusing when we had questions about billing as a self-pay client. Everyone is knowledgeable in their area though, and it is easy to find the person you need.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Come to your appointment prepared with any questions. Dr. Pauli will take time, but he is also efficient and sees a lot of people. I did not get the feeling he was trying to move us along, but I came with a lot of information already, and my husband wanted to get his head around the process more. He got flustered and didn't remember some questions he had previously. Don't be discouraged that he is not initially the warmest doctor. He was pretty flat, but he is clear, direct and thorough, which at this point I value more than warmth.
Dr. Pauli took time to meet with us and review the specific of our case. He asked a lot of questions and made recommendations based on our preferences and his experience. He did not rush us through and left room for any questions. He was patient and considerate. He was not overly friendly or warm, but delivered information clearly and thoroughly.
Dr. Pauli mentioned that some of my levels are in the borderline range, and he might aim for a more aggressive protocol for stimulation. I am not yet sure what this means i terms of medication dosages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Grace)
Grace greeted us by name and was so kind. She met with us after and seemed willing to go the extra step to get us information we had requested around financing and potential for remote monitoring at an office closer to us, as we are self pay. She explained next steps to us, and was supportive and patient with all of our questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
We have been quoted: 8,450 IVF 4400 Frozen transfer 3700 Pre-implantation genetic testing 1200 ISCI upward of 5k meds
Dr. Pauli was cautiously open to multiple embryo transfer when my husband asked, but standard us eSet and he saw no reason to deviate given our health history and age. He would potentially consider based on quality of embryos.