Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

I see Dr. Berger as a remote patient--he is in Boston and I live in NY. I went to him for a second opinion after positive referrals, and liked him so much we stayed with his office despite the difficulty of added coordination being in separate cities....I have a very low AMH and low medication response. The most recent cycle and the one that yielded the most success (12 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized, 3 PGS normal, 2 transferred thus far, 0 implanted), consisted of: estrogen patch priming protocol, stim Gonal F
Boston IVF is a very well-run facility. They are flexible with remote patients, helping to coordinate outside monitoring, etc. The staff is compassionate and helpful. Like any large clinic you will be seen by a number of different doctors for retrieval and transfer if doing IVF....The nursing team was very responsive and kind. There are a few different nurses working with Dr. Berger and I can usually get the answers I'm seeking. They also allow email communication, which is extremely helpful
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I see Dr. Berger as a remote patient--he is in Boston and I live in NY. I went to him for a second opinion after positive referrals, and liked him so much we stayed with his office despite the difficulty of added coordination being in separate cities. We have not had success yet, but we have had more positive progress than we had at Weill Cornell, and better understand the course of treatment and possibilities for us. He is more willing to change protocols than my previous doctor, trying for the optimal response given my low AMH.
Ask about changes in protocols if you are unsatisfied--he is very willing to discuss.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger is very patient and considerate. He is empathetic. While most of our calls open with him saying I wish we were discussing better news, it feels genuine each time. You can tell he is very committed to his patients.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I have a very low AMH and low medication response. The most recent cycle and the one that yielded the most success (12 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized, 3 PGS normal, 2 transferred thus far, 0 implanted), consisted of: estrogen patch priming protocol, stim Gonal F (600 for 6 days, 450 2 days, 375 2 days), 50 low dose HCG (10 days), cetrotide (4 days).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meghan)
The nursing team was very responsive and kind. There are a few different nurses working with Dr. Berger and I can usually get the answers I'm seeking. They also allow email communication, which is extremely helpful especially when traveling and unable to call during working hours. During active treatment cycles, there seems to be a trend in the time of callbacks with "news" - early calls are positive calls, the bad news comes late in the day. That may not be the case, but it usually pans out.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a very well-run facility. They are flexible with remote patients, helping to coordinate outside monitoring, etc. The staff is compassionate and helpful. Like any large clinic you will be seen by a number of different doctors for retrieval and transfer if doing IVF. Some have greater success than others when doing retrieval (as is likely common with all procedures). Comparatively, being at Weill Cornell in NYC for 3 years prior where I felt very much like a number vs a patient, and had a hard time communicating with my doctor, Boston IVF was welcome change and despite not having any success yet still feels like a step in a more positive direction.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
I was seen for monitoring at a clinic in NYC, Columbia Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
IVF Egg Retrieval/Freeze/ PGS= $7,750 + $3,900 (freeze) then $4,000 for future transfer (plus meds) Donor Egg is $12,000 plus medication and donor agency fee’s if you are using an agency ($7K to 15k could be more)
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I don't think we spent enough time on the pros/cons of single vs multiple. The thinking initially was that because they were PGS normal, implantation was more likely, so if transferring 2 you should really want twins.
Boston

I started ivf at 40, at no point has Dr Murphy ever made me feel like having a baby is an unattainable goal for me. She is smart, well respected and one of the most genuine and compassionate docs I have ever had. I couldn’t imagine going through this with any other doc by my side...My biggest issue is a lack of mature eggs. Dr Murphy switched up my trigger to a double after my first retrieval only resulted in 2 mature eggs despite having 10 measurable follicles. The double (lupron and HCG) have definitely improved my outcomes.
Amy [nurse at Boston IVF] has been wonderful. I always feel like I’m talking to an extension of Dr Murphy when I talk to her. She returns my calls quickly and always has an answer ready for any of my questions...Many people say Boston IVF is like a “factory.” My experience has been the total opposite. I feel so well cared for. Even when I had my miscarriage, I had already been released to an OB but asked if BIVF would do my follow up care and they didn’t hesitate to take me back as a patient immediately despite that not being standard operating procedure. I will never regret my decision to go to this clinic!
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr Murphy is by far one of my favorite doctors. She is compassionate, honest and truly cares about her patients. Every nurse I have seen at varying clinic locations comments on her incredible bedside manner. I started ivf at 40, at no point has Dr Murphy ever made me feel like having a baby is an unattainable goal for me. She is smart, well respected and one of the most genuine and compassionate docs I have ever had. I couldn’t imagine going through this with any other doc by my side.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
She is only in the South Shore office one day a week so appointments can be hard but I have found her main office in Brookline to not be a challenge at all!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy truly cares about her patients. She has celebrated our successes and grieved our failures right along with us.
Describe the protocols Lauren Murphy used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I have been using Menopur, Gonal and Cetrotide. My biggest issue is a lack of mature eggs. Dr Murphy switched up my trigger to a double after my first retrieval only resulted in 2 mature eggs despite having 10 measurable follicles. The double (lupron and HCG) have definitely improved my outcomes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy M)
Amy has been wonderful. I always feel like I’m talking to an extension of Dr Murphy when I talk to her. She returns my calls quickly and always has an answer ready for any of my questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
I have been very fortunate to have good insurance. Just wish I could afford PGS!
Lauren Murphy

2019, Consult
Dr. Pauli was clear, direct and provided us with information that we needed to plan our treatment. Dr. Pauli presented treatment in a clear and straightforward way and was pragmatic about the course of treatment. Dr. Pauli laid out the process clearly and gave us some options. He was open to our preferences and laid out benefits and drawbacks to all potential courses...will take time, but he is also efficient and sees a lot of people. I did not get the feeling he was trying to move us along, but I came with a lot of information already, and my husband wanted to get his head around the process more. He got flustered and didn't remember some questions he had previously. Don't be discouraged that he is not initially the warmest doctor. He was pretty flat, but he is clear, direct and thorough, which at this point I value more than warmth.
Grace [nurse at Boston IVF] greeted us by name and was so kind. She met with us after and seemed willing to go the extra step to get us information we had requested around financing and potential for remote monitoring at an office closer to us, as we are self pay. She explained next steps to us, and was supportive and patient with all of our questions...We have been quoted: 8,450 IVF...The office we were seen at is a transitional space for the clinic. It was an older space within a hospital that has nice ambiance. I initially questioned whether or not we were in the right place because the suite is shared with another service within the hospital. We waited for awhile to be seen and then to meet with the nurse. Everyone was kind, but it does not seem that any department has an idea about the workings of other aspects of the operation. That makes some sense, but was confusing when we had questions about billing as a self-pay client. Everyone is knowledgeable in their area though, and it is easy to find the person you need.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Come to your appointment prepared with any questions. Dr. Pauli will take time, but he is also efficient and sees a lot of people. I did not get the feeling he was trying to move us along, but I came with a lot of information already, and my husband wanted to get his head around the process more. He got flustered and didn't remember some questions he had previously. Don't be discouraged that he is not initially the warmest doctor. He was pretty flat, but he is clear, direct and thorough, which at this point I value more than warmth.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli took time to meet with us and review the specific of our case. He asked a lot of questions and made recommendations based on our preferences and his experience. He did not rush us through and left room for any questions. He was patient and considerate. He was not overly friendly or warm, but delivered information clearly and thoroughly.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr. Pauli mentioned that some of my levels are in the borderline range, and he might aim for a more aggressive protocol for stimulation. I am not yet sure what this means i terms of medication dosages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Grace)
Grace greeted us by name and was so kind. She met with us after and seemed willing to go the extra step to get us information we had requested around financing and potential for remote monitoring at an office closer to us, as we are self pay. She explained next steps to us, and was supportive and patient with all of our questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
We have been quoted: 8,450 IVF 4400 Frozen transfer 3700 Pre-implantation genetic testing 1200 ISCI upward of 5k meds
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Pauli was cautiously open to multiple embryo transfer when my husband asked, but standard us eSet and he saw no reason to deviate given our health history and age. He would potentially consider based on quality of embryos.
Gloucester

Strengths: unintimidating, kind, very knowledgeable, able to explain things to a non-medical person in easy terms. Didn’t feel rushed during my appointments, and it is clear that he valued his staff and seemed to have a mutual appreciation and respect for each other. Weaknesses: could be a bit warmer. ... Dr. Alper was warm and remembered details about me. He likely reviewed them right before I entered the room, but I consider that fair. While it is a big operation, it felt no less impersonal than any other doctors I have seen.
It [Boston IVF] is very large and runs like a well oiled machine. To some this could feel impersonal, but I appreciated that everything was so well organized and everything ran on time. It made me feel confident in the clinic. ... Bonnie is Dr. Alper’s Nurse. She is very responsive and friendly. ... He [Dr. Alper] recommended I transfer only one, especially as I had chosen to do PGS. I was fully on board with this strategy
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Take notes or ask him to write down notes for you as you discuss. He made me some great notes and diagrams that helped me to remember everything later
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie)
Bonnie is Dr. Alper’s Nurse. She is very responsive and friendly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It is very large and runs like a well oiled machine. To some this could feel impersonal, but I appreciated that everything was so well organized and everything ran on time. It made me feel confident in the clinic.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He recommended I transfer only one, especially as I had chosen to do PGS. I was fully on board with this strategy
Michael Alper
Waltham

[Nurses at Boston IVF were] Amazing! Super organized and excellent communication and got my prescriptions ordered and things scheduled very efficiently and without mistakes. When I had bleeding she was reassuring. She was genuinely excited for our success...A large operation but very professional and organized...He [Dr. Penzias] didn’t rely exclusively on statistics and he never focused on my age. He believed that we could be successful...He helped us make challenging decisions about which and how many embryos to transfer, whether to freeze or do PGS; He was very thorough and was willing to collaborate with Dr. Braverman (where other REs were not)...It’s worth driving to see him- we drove over an hour and a half to see him and it was completely worth it.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He didn’t rely exclusively on statistics and he never focused on my age. He believed that we could be successful.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Routine protocol for lead in with a estrogen patches.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A large operation but very professional and organized but 8 can only speak to this doctor and nurse. I saw another doctor at their satellite office near me who I had a negative experience with. I would only recommend this doctor (as opposed to the entire clinic).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Thankfully all covered by insurance except for the last transfer-$4K
Waltham

Dr. Ryley made personal connections with both myself and my husband. He remembered non-medical aspects of our lives and we genuinely enjoyed every visit we had with him. He also called to check in personally after big news (good or bad). He once went above and beyond to squeeze me in for a surgery the day he’d be in the OR so I wouldn’t need to wait 4+ weeks until our next cycle. We loved him!
Most monitoring and surgeries were at the Boston IVF clinic in Waltham. No complaints - it is a quiet, clean facility and I always found the staff very nice and helpful. The Boston office (more for consults) is beautiful. Parking downtown can be pricey but worth every penny for the care you receive.... Jess was WONDERFUL! She answered countless calls with patience, compassion, and a genuinely positive attitude.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was warm, compassionate, and understanding. He took the failures and setbacks as hard as we did. He provided both statistics as well as his own experience so we knew the range of things to expect with each step. We always felt like he was on our team, rooting for our success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
You are your own best advocate, but you will feel like you have another fighter on your team with Dr. Ryley.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess)

2018 - 2019, Consult
Dr. Berger is a very genuine and compassionate doctor who loves what he does. He explains all your options and what plan best fits your needs. He makes himself available and answers all of your questions. He does not make you feel like a number. In a world that can feel so alone he was able to finally give me some hope...He is worth the wait for an appointment...Due to the high demand of the clinic and Dr Berger it can be some time before you can get an appointment
[The nurses at Boston IVF are] Very compassionate and thorough. They called to follow up on me after my visit to see if I had anymore questions...Due to the high demand of the clinic and Dr Berger it can be some time before you can get an appointment. The clinic staff is all so kind and not dismissive as some places I have been. Everything is always your choice and if you are not comfortable with anything you are never rushed...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He is worth the wait for an appointment
Adequate time was spent with me and our time did not end until all of Our questions were answered. Our questions by phone were also answered in the same day even after his office hours ended. He was genuinely sorry for the losses and emotional roller coaster we have been through over the last 2 years.
These are still being discussed
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Initial visit was $395 and cost for 5 rounds with the use of my insurance is $12,500 out of pocket
Not yet discussed
South Shore

Dr Penzias is very straight forward. He takes the time to thoroughly explain the process and the steps that will be taken. He is very even tempered, but also compassionate. He did not perform any of my actual procedures or transfers, but that wasn't a problem for me...Make sure to schedule your follow-up appointment with him early because his calendar fills up quickly....
It is a large clinic [Boston IVF], so your procedures will likely not be performed by your doctor. This wasn't an important factor for me, but it may be for others. A benefit to being a large clinic, is that there are many locations for monitoring appointments, which was convenient. They are also open 365 days, so they do not shut down for holidays....
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It is a large clinic, so your procedures will likely not be performed by your doctor. This wasn't an important factor for me, but it may be for others. A benefit to being a large clinic, is that there are many locations for monitoring appointments, which was convenient. They are also open 365 days, so they do not shut down for holidays.
I had insurance coverage, so costs were only visit co-pays and co-pays on medications. Less than $1,000.
2014 - 2019, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Steven Bayer is] down to earth and feels for the heart break his patients go through...explains in detail what he knew to be our issue with our 2 known miscarriages. He took the time to explain...He was very understanding how we felt and truly wanted to be parents... He went into detail as options available and told us honestly he felt the best option would be embryo adoption given we had started an adoption process just last year. Dr Bayer leads with his heart, and truly feels what his patients are experiencing.
I’ve had little contact with my nurse [at Boston IVF], but each time I do, she checks with Dr Bayer so there is no miscommunication. She through when we do discuss lab results or next steps to ensure I understand how it all works...His consult was $350 and the cost for the day of my embryo transfer is $4400 that includes 1 yr of storage fees at their facility...As a new patient I felt comfortable and knew everyone I had contact with was very helpful and kind. They treat you like a human and not a number or someone that doesn’t fit a mold that some offices feel you should. They are very empathic to your heartbreak. I’m still trying to find a weakness,although I’m sure they have them, my experience has been seamless thus far.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Dr Bayer explains in detail what he knew to be our issue with our 2 known miscarriages. He took the time to explain we could try cloned and gave us the odds of it working. He was very understanding how we felt and truly wanted to be parents. When cloned didn’t work, my husband and I chose to keep trying naturally. Over the last 4 years we’ve endure the adoption option which ended in a disaster with information we were told but didn’t happen. We pulled out of the adoption last year. We then saw another fertility specialist closer to home, he didn’t care as to why we were there, he told me to lose 50lbs and call him once I did. He went as far to say, he’s seen shorter and wider do it do I can if I put my mind too it. I lost 23lbs hurt my back in the meantime and was killing myself to lose. Then decided to go back to see Dr Bayer this year. Upon entering his office we had the typical how are you doings, then lead to say it’s been a very long 4+ year journey for you. How have you been doing with this? He went into detail as options available and told us honestly he felt the best option would be embryo adoption given we had started an adoption process just last year. Dr Bayer leads with his heart, and truly feels what his patients are experiencing. Not once but twice he told us he can help us become parents, our life long dream. I left there with tears of joy and a heart that was full of happiness finally. We started the process in February, found embryos in August and are in the process of waiting for cycles to do the transfer. I can’t thank Dr Bayer and his team enough for all they have done. Dr Bayer has reassured me on more than one occasion, helping couples become parents is “what his team and Garrison” does!! He’s excited for us
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Any and all questions you ask, he will answer truthfully and honestly. He’s in this profession because he truly cares for his patients. Highly recommend him
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
He’s do down to earth and feels for the heart break his patients go through
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We tried 3 cycles clomid due to being younger and having regular periods at that time. At this time in order to begin the process for my frozen embryo transfer, we have started and finished medications to induce a period. Once that happens I’ll take 2 and 1/2 weeks of estrogen, have an ultrasound and if the uterine lining isn’t thick enough, we’ll increase estrogen and have another ultrasound. If uterine lining is thick enough, I’ll have the transfer scheduled then begin progesterone for 10 weeks there after. Everything needs to be perfect in order for my embryo to attach. There is still a chance of miscarriage
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda D)
I’ve had little contact with my nurse, but each time I do, she checks with Dr Bayer so there is no miscommunication. She through when we do discuss lab results or next steps to ensure I understand how it all works.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Dr Bayer is part of my out of nextwork coverage so all bills are paid by me until I reach my deductible. That deductible is very high, so that will not happen. His consult was $350 and the cost for the day of my embryo transfer is $4400 that includes 1 yr of storage fees at their facility.
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We will do a single embryo transfer as soon as my cycle begins with a followed ultrasound. One embryo transfer is best for me and my baby at this time to ensure a happy healthy pregnancy.
Steven Bayer
Brookline

Doctor Berger had NO preference [with Eset]. Said the chances the embryos sticking are the same if we transfer one or two...The first time I met Dr Berger he sat and spoke with me for TWO and a HALF HOURS! Answered all my questions, went through all of my paperwork chart by chart, talked about game plan, put my mind at ease and let me know ALL possible options!... He went through each medication and let me know what exactly each would be used for and how it will help.
[Boston IVF] Work WITH my cycle and even did an egg retrieval on a Sunday morning when my body was ready...PGS testing not covered so had to pay $3,700 out of pocket but it is WELL worth it. Also another $500 for meds not covered...The first time I met Dr Berger he sat and spoke with me for TWO and a HALF HOURS! Answered all my questions, went through all of my paperwork chart by chart, talked about game plan, put my mind at ease and let me know ALL possible options!
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr Berger was able to explain how this cycle would be different from my treatment at FCNE and why I am considered a special case. He went through each medication and let me know what exactly each would be used for and how it will help.
Expect a miracle!
No shots. No birth control. Letrozole, low dose hcg, leuprolide, cetrotide, gonal F, ovidrel (trigger shot), doxyclycline, medrol and crinone inserts
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Would call me and tell me they are missing paperwork when they actually had it in their possession. Failed to order meds.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Cleaner, nice facilities than FCNE. Better locations. Work WITH my cycle and even did an egg retrieval on a Sunday morning when my body was ready. FCNE only does procedures on Tuesdays so if my body wasn't ready I would be overmedicated.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Doctor Berger had NO preference. Said the chances the embryos sticking are the same if we transfer one or two.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I would just ask that the nurses LOOK in their files before accusing me of not sending the right paperwork
Boston
[The nurses at Boston IVF are] Very helpful and answered any questions I have whenever I needed things to be either talked out or answered....We never went to the next step too fast and everything was within in time and how comfortable we as a couple are...Very welcoming, great environment in both clinics I’ve been to. Made some great clinic relationships with some staff as I was going in several times a week. I would like the ability to speak with someone right away more often but other than that both offices are great...She [Dr. Nina Resetkova] was very warm, very knowledgeable. Any question I asked she would take the time to explain without making me feel like I was asking too much...Every step has been planned out and everyone is friendly and available when I need someone... We never went to the next step too fast and everything was within in time and how comfortable we as a couple are...
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Boston IVF as a whole has been great. I’ve gone to several locations to have different things done. From the nurses, to to MAs to the financial team. Every step has been planned out and everyone is friendly and available when I need someone
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Be prepared, ask lots of questions. And don’t hesitate to take as much time as your need
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She was very warm, very knowledgeable. Any question I asked she would take the time to explain without making me feel like I was asking too much
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
So far, I have been helped buy many resources within Boston IVF. We never went to the next step too fast and everything was within in time and how comfortable we as a couple are.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Stefanie )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
Unsure as I’m still in the process
Nina Resetkova
Quincy
They [nurses at Boston IVF] are very nice and easy to get a hold of when needed...Location and hours are a big strength...the nurse are always very nice and they tend to recognize you so that feels confronting. sometimes there is a lack of communication so you have to be on top of your own care...He [Dr. Samuel Pauli] actually called me to check in and review results after I met with an np that same day!...He came recommend to me by a friend who was successful with ivf. He was very thoughtful and consider what are concerns are. He came up with a new protocol from what our old doctor was doing. The most shocking thing was he called me to review results with me. This should not be shocking but I was with my other doctor for 3 years she never called me.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
If you are new to ivf - this takes time lots of time but hopefully will be worth it.
He actually called me to check in and review results after I met with an np that same day!
He was the first to suggest use of embryo glue it was a $500out of pocket charge and may or may not help but it was worth the risk to us. We want to try anything there is out there to try. We got a positive test and are awaiting an ultrasound
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They are very nice and easy to get a hold of when needed
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Location and hours are a big strength the nurse are always very nice and they tend to recognize you so that feels confronting. sometimes there is a lack of communication so you have to be on top of your own care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
For this year to date 3 thousand ish but I’ve been doing this for over 3 years and have spent over 30 thousand
2019, Consult
[Dr. Dan Griffin] explained that after all the testing we have completed there is no clear reason for our infertility. He was very sympathetic with our struggle and was understanding...explained what our steps would be and our chances with certain steps...wanted to try another cycle of IUI but felt more confident with going straight to IVF... I know some women feel more comfortable with a female dr in regards to fertility issues but Dr Griffin was very down to earth and compassionate.
The clinic [Boston IVF] was thorough and very discreet. They staff was polite and very welcoming...knowledgeable on fertility issues and eager to answer any questions...The cost for a consult was around $130.00...Any new patient should feel confident going there for care...[Dr. Dan Griffin] was very thorough...explained what our steps would be and our chances with certain steps.
How was your experience with Dan Griffin at Boston IVF?
Our Dr was very thorough. He explained what our steps would be and our chances with certain steps. He explained that all of our testing came back within normal ranges. He was very compassionate and understanding. He was in depth in regards to both mine and my husbands test and our chances of conceiving.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dan Griffin at Boston IVF?
Do not be nervous. I know some women feel more comfortable with a female dr in regards to fertility issues but Dr Griffin was very down to earth and compassionate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dan Griffin at Boston IVF?
The Dr explained everything very clear. He also explained that after all the testing we have completed there is no clear reason for our infertility. He was very sympathetic with our struggle and was understanding.
Describe the protocols Dan Griffin used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr Griffin wanted to try another cycle of IUI but felt more confident with going straight to IVF.
Very polite and thorough
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic was thorough and very discreet. They staff was polite and very welcoming. The staff was very knowledgeable on fertility issues and eager to answer any questions. I did not notice any weaknesses for the clinic or staff. Any new patient should feel confident going there for care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dan Griffin at Boston IVF.
The cost for a consult was around $130.00
Dan Griffin
Boston

He [Dr. Brian Berger] listened to my concerns and was very helpful with answers...was so friendly and made me feel so comfortable. He was timely in responding to me. He also gave me realistic expectations. He made the process as painless and not frustrating as he could...I have poor egg quality. We did two egg retrieval’s and PGS tasting to get the best quality egg for transfer...You have to be proactive and follow up...
A weakness [at Boston IVF] would be calling patients back. I realize it’s busy but maybe an email option would be easier for easy questions. You have to be proactive and call for results sometimes. The insurance price takes a long time for results. I found that frustrating...The nursing staff was supportive and helpful...It was difficult to get to the lab sometimes on work days. I wish there was an option for afternoon blood draws...Pgs twice coating over $7,000 Meds $1500 All other cost $10,000
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger was so friendly and made me feel so comfortable. He was timely in responding to me. He also gave me realistic expectations. He made the process as painless and not frustrating as he could.
You have to be proactive and follow up.
He listened to my concerns and was very helpful with answers.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was supportive and helpful
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A weakness would be calling patients back. I realize it’s busy but maybe an email option would be easier for easy questions. You have to be proactive and call for results sometimes. The insurance price takes a long time for results. I found that frustrating.
Pgs twice coating over $7,000 Meds $1500 All other cost $10,000
I don’t have a comment for this
Boston

[Dr. Rita Sneeringer] was very personable, patient and sympathetic towards our situation. She was extremely knowledgeable and approached each meeting with customized recommendations based on our preferences, and how my body was responding to treatment...We felt completely comfortable and confident in her plan of action. We had A LOT of questions and she was extremely patient. We can’t say enough great things about her. I’ve already recommended her to several friends and coworkers.
We did a freeze all egg retrieval, phs testing and fet [at Boston IVF]...Clinic strengths: organized, atmosphere is nice, clean, staff is friendly Clinic weaknesses: typically a little slow, road clinic is on has major pot holes- more of just a general commuting annoyance...Schedule your initial appointment sooner rather than later...books up quickly...Dr Sneeringer was very personable, patient and sympathetic towards our situation. She was extremely knowledgeable and approached each meeting with customized recommendations based on our preferences, and how my body was responding to treatment.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Schedule your initial appointment sooner rather than later. She books up quickly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did a freeze all egg retrieval, phs testing and fet
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clinic strengths: organized, atmosphere is nice, clean, staff is friendly Clinic weaknesses: typically a little slow, road clinic is on has major pot holes- more of just a general commuting annoyance Nothing else to share here
Rita Sneeringer

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Alan Penzias] was very thorough in looking through an extensive medical record and breaking it down as to where all my information put me, he answered all my questions honestly but with care and hope. He helped me feel better about my situation by being direct and informed about my diagnosis of unexplained infertility and what my specific history meant for this. I had previously been told by doctors that nothing was wrong, that recurrent miscarriage just happens and to keep trying which just seemed so unrealistic and inhuman to say, Dr. Penzias recognized what had been been happening right away as a problem and concern, he found me a solution and provided hope with a very uncertain condition.
They [doctors at Boston IVF] insisted on a single transfer, it's common practice in this clinic and they have high success rates with it. While I would have rather transferred 2 embryos to start, the risks with multiples in pregnancy was enough that I didn't argue it, and we had a successful single transfer...They are an extremely compassionate and educated group of people. They are a timely clinic, I never waited around past my appointment time.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He was very educated and informed, and able to explain things without going over your head when he talks. I personally appreciate somebody who is very honest, so Dr. Penzias was a great doctor for me. He's very straight forward if you ask him a question and confident in his responses, when your dealing with infertility at first you usually come across doctors that don't know much about it, so it was comforting for me to not hear any hesitation when he spoke. By breaking down my personal experiences with my diagnosis of unexplained infertility, he was able to say with confidence that IVF could be a good solution for me and he was correct. I could never thank him enough.
Listen to what he's saying when he discusses your condition with you.
He was very thorough in looking through an extensive medical record and breaking it down as to where all my information put me, he answered all my questions honestly but with care and hope. He helped me feel better about my situation by being direct and informed about my diagnosis of unexplained infertility and what my specific history meant for this. I had previously been told by doctors that nothing was wrong, that recurrent miscarriage just happens and to keep trying which just seemed so unrealistic and inhuman to say, Dr. Penzias recognized what had been been happening right away as a problem and concern, he found me a solution and provided hope with a very uncertain condition.
I've had one IVF cycle, and I am currently 8 months pregnant with my first child. IVF was determined to be the best course of action, I previously had lost 5 pregnancies over 2 years, giving me a diagnosis of recurrent pregnancy loss and unexplained infertility. I had no issues getting pregnant, but could not carry past 6 weeks. I was given progesterone to help maintain the pregnancy until 11 weeks gestation. Ovidrel was the drug used to cause ovulation. Menopur with gonal-f were used during egg stimulation producing 14 eggs in total.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley?)
I didn't see a nurse often. I saw more medical assistants and sonographers than anybody during my cycle. They were all great and I never had to wait around, my appointment times were always met or even early if I was there early.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are an extremely compassionate and educated group of people. They are a timely clinic, I never waited around past my appointment time. With that said, if I was there early they could usually get me in sooner, or the one time I was late they didn't make me reschedule, told me they would see me when I got there and to drive safe, and they did in fact see me within 15 minutes after I showed up late. I just can't say enough good things about this clinic.
My insurance covered the cost of most of it.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
They insisted on a single transfer, it's common practice in this clinic and they have high success rates with it. While I would have rather transferred 2 embryos to start, the risks with multiples in pregnancy was enough that I didn't argue it, and we had a successful single transfer.

1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Ryley is very warm and approachable and really conveys that he cares and "has your back". He has advocated for me with insurance and got me right in for surgery when fibroid was found--and delivered news with compassion.... He is smart and confident but also realistic in setting expectations. I have the feeling that he "has my back" and that he truly cares.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is very large so the positives of this are that there are many resources and options, including many locations and open on weekends. The downside of this is that I feel a bit like cattle in a factory...and your doctor does not perform any of the procedures (unless you luck out and they happen to be on call). Boston IVF and New England IVF also joined and there are differences between their protocols within the same clinic, but that was not made clear to us at the outset (switched between NEIVF to BIVF doctor and a few things slightly changed).
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I said it before--he is very caring and compassionate and explains everything well. He is smart and confident but also realistic in setting expectations. I have the feeling that he "has my back" and that he truly cares.
The clinic is really busy and it is difficult to get appointments in a timely manner. There is also the question of whether you want to deal with feeling like a number at such a big clinic... I think he's worth it but we'll see.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Gonal F, Monopur, Cetrotide, Endometrin
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi and Amanda)
They are very helpful, but you can tell that they are busy. However, when you need to talk to them, they will get back to you soon and explain things clearly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is very large so the positives of this are that there are many resources and options, including many locations and open on weekends. The downside of this is that I feel a bit like cattle in a factory...and your doctor does not perform any of the procedures (unless you luck out and they happen to be on call). Boston IVF and New England IVF also joined and there are differences between their protocols within the same clinic, but that was not made clear to us at the outset (switched between NEIVF to BIVF doctor and a few things slightly changed).
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
This first cycle is covered under insurance and Dr. Ryley fought insurance for that. Otherwise, it's about $8k-$10k.
Brookline

Our biggest concern with dr. Bergers office was that it took so long to make an appointment. At one point in time they had schedule an appointment for us on a day that he was not working, which was frustrating.... I feel that he understands what is going on and closely monitors each patient.... After we had an unsuccessful Embryo transfer due to an inability to pass the catheter, he recommended a hysteroscopy.
I've always felt that everyone was helpful and responsive to phone calls and questions. The staff [Boston IVF -South Shore] for ultrasounds in blood draws was fantastic and conversational when appropriate. The wait was always minimal for any testing and they were able to answer any questions over the phone. Our only problem was being scheduled for an appointment when the doctor wasn't there, and then having to wait to meet with him.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Our biggest concern with dr. Bergers office was that it took so long to make an appointment. At one point in time they had schedule an appointment for us on a day that he was not working, which was frustrating. We were able to reschedule for a couple of weeks later for a phone consult. He recommended something that we had felt we could have taken care of during the wait for the appointment. Ultimately though, it was probably better for my body to have a rest which is what he ended up saying on the phone anyways. I feel that he understands what is going on and closely monitors each patient.
Have patience in the fertility process. We wanted this so bad that it was easy to be frustrated. I definitely feel the doctor Berger is trying to help us get pregnant
Although sometimes it took awhile to get an appointment with him, when he was talking to us he was compassionate and helpful. He also was very positive about our ability to conceive.
We did 3 IUI Cycles with letrozole and then a trigger. For our IVF cycle we did gonal-f, cetrotide and crinone. After we had an unsuccessful Embryo transfer due to an inability to pass the catheter, he recommended a hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Our care during blood draws and ultrasounds was fantastic
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I've always felt that everyone was helpful and responsive to phone calls and questions. The staff for ultrasounds in blood draws was fantastic and conversational when appropriate. The wait was always minimal for any testing and they were able to answer any questions over the phone. Our only problem was being scheduled for an appointment when the doctor wasn't there, and then having to wait to meet with him.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Almost all of our fertility treatments were covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield. There was some initial cost of approximately $600 and then small co-pays of approximately $50 for medications.
We only plan to transfer one during the first cycle and would increase in subsequent Cycles if necessary. We agreed with this strategy.
South Shore

Dr. Wright has treated my husband and myself with compassion, understanding and patience. We experienced a miscarriage prior to working with Dr. Wright and I greatly appreciate her ability and willingness to answer all my questions and concerns that go along with having experienced a prior loss....Dr. Wright has always taken the time to explain each one of our tests to us...Dr. Wright found I had high TSH level and correctly that, as well as a uterine fibroid which will be removed. After the removal we are starting IVF with Dr. Wright.
I can speak with regarding onboarding new patients and pre-IVF testing. The clinic does a great job with explaining the process to new patients and has wide availability to get you into appointments quickly. I did feel the testing process takes a long time...Barbara Soto and the rest of the IVF New England nursing staff in Bedford NH and Waltham offices are absolutely amazing! ..., costs of IVF with ICSI and PGS for one cycle is around $19,000.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright has treated my husband and myself with compassion, understanding and patience. We experienced a miscarriage prior to working with Dr. Wright and I greatly appreciate her ability and willingness to answer all my questions and concerns that go along with having experienced a prior loss. I feel she truly cares about me and my husband and wants to see us start our family. We have hit a few bumps in the road which has slowed down our IVF start based on various test results, but Dr. Wright has helped me start correct medication and move us along faster then my PCP. I appreciate her quick responses and willing to walk me through each step of the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Don't ever feel guilty asking too many questions. There is no such thing. Dr. Wright has been wonderful answering my many questions and it's made a world of difference in going through this process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright has always taken the time to explain each one of our tests to us. As we are in the beginning stages of IVF, this is all very new and confusing. My husband and I have almost completed all of our pre-IVF tests and hope to start IVF with ICSI next month. Dr. wright has called me to explain my various test results and helped me to get my TSH on track for IVF. I had a miscarriage prior to this process and Dr. Wright and her staff have been so understanding in working with me knowing I already experienced a very difficult loss.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We have not yet begun IVF treatment. We are just about to finish our pre-IVF testing. Dr. Wright found I had high TSH level and correctly that, as well as a uterine fibroid which will be removed. After the removal we are starting IVF with Dr. Wright.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Soto)
Barbara Soto and the rest of the IVF New England nursing staff in Bedford NH and Waltham offices are absolutely amazing! Having recently experienced a miscarriage, this has been a very emotional process for me. The nursing staff has been unbelievable considerate while treating me. There were there as my IVF tests were delayed due to waiting for the HCG to leave my system, through many ultrasound and blood work, and through my recent sono hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
As I have not started the IVF process yet, and only completed all pre-IVF testing I can't speak to the clinic's IVF treatment, but I can speak with regarding onboarding new patients and pre-IVF testing. The clinic does a great job with explaining the process to new patients and has wide availability to get you into appointments quickly. I did feel the testing process takes a long time, and perhaps it could be just my siltation which each test seemed to bring up another issue that needed to be addressed before moving forward. Final treatment plans appoints can book a ways out so in that instance it is difficult to get in sooner, but overall I have liked my experience with the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
As we are just beginning the IVF process, costs of IVF with ICSI and PGS for one cycle is around $19,000. We have spent approximately (with insurance coverage) $1500 in pre-IVF testing so far.
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Wright recommends single embryo transfer.
Lexington

My doctor [Dr. Kuohung] recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach... was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency...I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well... I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr Kuohung struck a really good balance between maintaining a positive outlook while acknowledging the realities we faced. One of the things I appreciated most about Dr Kuohung was her willingness to answer all of my questions thoroughly and patiently. At several points throughout treatment, she helped my partner and I to identify the pros and cons of each option, referred to current research, and clarified her explanations for us when we had trouble grasping some of the scientific concepts that were unfamiliar to us. In deciding how many embryos to transfer, she was able to state her recommendation and rationale clearly, and also able to take into account our feelings about each option. I really appreciated her ability to balance her professional expertise with consideration for our opinions and priorities.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
When I began my IVF treatment, I was not familiar with many of the concepts and terms that need to be discussed. Dr kuohung did a very good job explaining much of this to me in an accessible manner, but I was still left feeling that I wanted a better understanding. Once I learned more of the terms I found it easier to understand our conversations. Having a better understanding of the background medical concepts made me feel more able to be an active agent in my treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr. Kuohung was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
Describe the protocols Wendy Kuohung used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don’t remember the specific stimulation protocol we used but I know we chose it with the assumption that Iould be a poor responder due to my age. I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic was visually pleasant, nurses were friendly and efficient and I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
My treatment for this cycle was covered by insurance.
Describe Wendy Kuohung's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
My doctor recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach
Wendy Kuohung
Waltham

Dr Berger helped me contact my OB, who was able to schedule a few tests and have it covered by my insurance under her care...is thorough, precise, kind, welcoming. He does not sugar coat anything, but he is also very gentle and sympathetic. He gets right down to the details right away and let’s you know exactly what’s going on. He has had to deliver a lot of bad news to us, specifically insurance denying us coverage, so he told us straight up but he always ALWAYS makes sure he takes time to let us voice our concerns, ask questions, cry, vent, and he lets us know our options with each step. He also lets us see the bright side of everything and let’s us know that we are not out of options.
These women [nurses at Boston IVF] were AMAZING!!!...Every single person in their offices are wonderful. Gentle, kind, compassionate, funny, empathetic, sympathetic. Some will tell you their personal stories so you don’t feel alone. Some will tell you success stories so you keep on hoping and praying. They will hand you tissues, let you cry...If you go for blood work, they will tell you what to expect. “We are gonna draw a lot today. How are you feeling about that?” They will ask if you’re comfortable, if you need anything, and always with a smile on their faces. The staff really is amazing.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr Berger is a little intimidating at first. He will straight up tell you the bad stuff first, that treatment didn’t work, that insurance is denying treatment, that sperm counts are low. That’s exactly what has happened with my husband and I. But then, he walks us through the next steps, options, discusses everything with us and explains it all. He makes sure that we have enough time to really process and understand what news he just gave is and he answers every question to the best of his ability, or makes sure his staff gets us the answers we need. Afterwards, he always puts a positive spin on the appointment. He tells us the best possible ideas of what he wants to try next and he’s compassionate when he is discussing this all. We have been devastated at some of the news he has given us, but he always tells us there’s other ways and that we shouldn’t give up. He is extremely informative, knows the best way to treat each patient or couple, starts with the most direct treatment that will give that patient the best possible outcome. But he also is compassionate and understanding and sympathetic when it doesn’t work. And then he’s positive that there will be another way! He’s a great doctor!
Take your time before your appointment to figure out what questions you’d like answers to, big or small. This whole process is overwhelming, and I don’t think any of us really know what to expect. Dr. Berger will take the time to listen to every concern and answer every question you have. And he does it with a positive outlook, an open mind, and a caring heart.
Dr Berger is thorough, precise, kind, welcoming. He does not sugar coat anything, but he is also very gentle and sympathetic. He gets right down to the details right away and let’s you know exactly what’s going on. He has had to deliver a lot of bad news to us, specifically insurance denying us coverage, so he told us straight up but he always ALWAYS makes sure he takes time to let us voice our concerns, ask questions, cry, vent, and he lets us know our options with each step. He also lets us see the bright side of everything and let’s us know that we are not out of options.
Dr Berger first started me out with day 3 and day 21 blood tests to make sure my cycle was “normal”. He then scheduled me for an HSG, which is a procedure where an OB checked my uterus and Fallopian tubes for any blockages. He then started me on Clomid for a cycle. He wanted to make sure everything within me was working and in good shape. He also had my husband produce a few semen samples within this time to monitor his sperm. Once we knew that my reproductive system was working well, and that my husband did have healthy sperm, Dr Berger wanted to move forward with IVF. Unfortunately, our insurance will not cover it. So we are now discussing our options and praying that a miracle happens.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
These women were AMAZING!!! Believe me, if I could, I would take each one of them home and cook a huge meal for them and pamper them with lots of treats! Every single person in their offices are wonderful. Gentle, kind, compassionate, funny, empathetic, sympathetic. Some will tell you their personal stories so you don’t feel alone. Some will tell you success stories so you keep on hoping and praying. They will hand you tissues, let you cry. They are so incredibly gentle in every way, yet thorough and make sure everything is done exactly how it needs to be done. They walk you through every step so you’re not so scared, and they will hold your hand if you still are scared. When you are there, it truly feels like everyone is a friend.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
There are a lot of steps in this fertility thing. The staff always makes sure you know how the process will work and walks (and talks) you through every little and big step. If you go for blood work, they will tell you what to expect. “We are gonna draw a lot today. How are you feeling about that?” They will ask if you’re comfortable, if you need anything, and always with a smile on their faces. The staff really is amazing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
In the beginning, nothing was covered by my insurance. But Dr Berger helped me contact my OB, who was able to schedule a few tests and have it covered by my insurance under her care. Then, the staff at Boston IVF helped me change to an insurance company that would most likely cover everything else. Most of my “stuff” in office was covered after that, dr visits, medications, blood work, urine tests, etc. we only had to pay our copay. Dr Berger did discuss with us the costs of IUI and IVF but since insurance denied those, we are still trying to figure out what our next steps are.
South Shore

She [Dr. Kristen Wright] is straight and to the point but not rude...She answers all your questions, no matter how crazy or outlandish you think those questions are and whether or not those should be potential concerns for you...Don't expect warm and fuzzy because you won't get it...I responded well but of the 22 eggs, only 12 were mature. I was put on cabergoline for 7 days to minimize OHSS. The second ER i was on the same injections but different amounts to yield more mature eggs which I did, and after transfer I was put on patches and crinone again.
Very personable staff [at IVF New England]...I always scheduled my appointments between 7a and 8a so that I didnt have to take time from work...Clean, organized, great time management, never waited too long to be seen in the waiting room...The nursing staff was always available and always answered my questions and call backs were always same day. Any worries or concerns were always addressed.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright is a great at communicator regarding test results, what to expect from those results and what realistic expectations should be. I never did any of my procedures with her, but she did manage my protocols and did all of my follow ups. This wasn't as important to me because I didn't know what to expect from IVF to begin with. When my first retrieval yielded poor results, she called me personally to let me know (and on a weekend). She adjusted my protocol for the second retrieval and was able to yield more mature eggs for fertilization which results in five embryos. I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with one of those embryos. I have recommended Dr. Wright to a friend of mine and she is currently under her care and loves her. Dr. Wright is not what I would consider "warm and fuzzy" but she is certainly professional, respectful and candid. I personally prefer this over "sugar coating" or someone trying to be my best friend. She knows what shes doing and I cannot elaborate enough on how much I like her as my RE, but also as a person.
Don't expect warm and fuzzy because you won't get it. She is straight and to the point but not rude. For me, knowing what you are dealing with, with IVF and infertility, it is better to know the details, the truth and all the facts surrounding your diagnosis and protocol, rather than someone who is "just nice". She answers all your questions, no matter how crazy or outlandish you think those questions are and whether or not those should be potential concerns for you.
I was always treated with respect, honesty, and professionalism. My concerns were heard and my questions were answered. I never had to ask more than once for information or for further explanation if needed.
I was on menopur, gonal f, cetrotide injections and estradiol patches and crinone for the first egg retrieval. I responded well but of the 22 eggs, only 12 were mature. I was put on cabergoline for 7 days to minimize OHSS. The second ER i was on the same injections but different amounts to yield more mature eggs which I did, and after transfer I was put on patches and crinone again. The third transfer was a frozen cycle so instead of supposetories I was put on progesterone in oil shots until 10 weeks of pregnancy with patches.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clean, organized, great time management, never waited too long to be seen in the waiting room. Very personable staff. Weakness would be how difficult it is to contact Boston IVF Lexington when you are running late for your appointment. I always scheduled my appointments between 7a and 8a so that I didnt have to take time from work. It is impossible to get them on the phone that early. I would suggest giving patients a phone line they can call when they are running late or need to cancel, instead of talking to the answering service because there are people there from 6a.
I have no complaints.
Due to my insurance coverage, we paid $500 deductible and everything else was covered. I believe my insurance was billed $8,900 for each cycle. We paid our co-pays for all medications which was less than $300 for the first and second cycles (egg retrievals) and about $30 for the meds for FET.
I have no comments other than because of my age (31), my insurance dictated what I could transfer. When I told her i wanted to transfer two embryos for my third cycle, she was receptive and we did discuss the complications of a twin pregnancy. We went forward and did a two embryo frozen transfer, and luckily we did because only one of those embryos took.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
After my seven week ultrasound, my OB-GYN office at the 11 week appointment still had not received any of my paperwork from IVFNE. I was told it would be sent within 7-10 business days, but it did not make it there in that time frame. I still don't know if they got it because I never followed up.
North Chelmsford

They're [the nurses at Boston IVF- Stoneham] great. Anytime that I called and had to leave a vm they got right back to me even though their message says 24 hours. In all the 30+ times I called they got back to me within an hour. Even after hours and on weekends. They're very organized and tell you exactly what the expectations are. It's a little intimidating at first because they present it like a secret mission, but they're simply being detailed and clear.
How was your experience with Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
My overall experience was great. This process can be overwhelming what with the terms, meds, options & possible change in protocol. Dr. Cardone explained everything in a manner that we could understand, a third grade level was was helpful. When my first IUI failed he changed things up a bit. When the second one did, his team called me the same day to share that Dr. Cardone already had my IVF treatment plan in place. He was pro active about it. When my husband presented with a sudden worry about embryo distraction, Dr. Cardone saw us the same week to walk us through the issue. (Due to my age it wasn't actually an issue for us). Dr. Cardone always kept us informed and educated. No question was foolish. For that we are grateful and for that we didn't ever question his plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
I would say that they shouldn't fear ever being treated like a question was foolish or that they were overreacting. That was always my fear as I was so uneducated about infertility. Dr. Cardone and his team are very skilled at what they do & are great with customer service.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
Dr. Cardone was very kind yet honest about the obstacles we could face. However, he also had a 'can do' attitude, and made us feel that our obstacles were manageable with some creativity & knowhow.
Describe the protocols Vito Cardone used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We started with IUI as it was least invasive. Also, I think that my ins required two failed before moving to IVF so we had no choice. (Not any fault of Dr. Cardone, but I felt that I was up against a clock as I was in the final few months of my 39th year. At 40 ins coverage is complicated). I have 2 embryos on ice and start about 15 days of prep on Oct 2 to get those little things back in me.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They're great. Anytime that I called and had to leave a vm they got right back to me even though their message says 24 hours. In all the 30+ times I called they got back to me within an hour. Even after hours and on weekends. They're very organized and tell you exactly what the expectations are. It's a little intimidating at first because they present it like a secret mission, but they're simply being detailed and clear.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think it could use a little interior design support. Although we're not going not for the decore, a little more of a welcoming astetically pleasing environment is great. They're efficient and that's what counts.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vito Cardone at Boston IVF.
Co pay, some of meds.
Describe Vito Cardone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I trust his judgement implicitly.
Vito Cardone
Stoneham

Dr.Penzias was always incredibly respectful and took his time explaining everything to us. He is very detailed and will share endless reports, graphs, charts, studies with you if you want to hear how he makes his decisions with your care. He has a clear passion for what he does and seems genuinely happy for you when you achieve the family you want.... The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board.
Boston IVF is incredible organized. Each doctor has a full team that follows their patients care. The only difficulty I ever had was dealing with the folks talking with insurance. I had the sense that the REs all communicate and share the most recent studies with each other and that our care was always based on the latest well respected studies.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Feel comfortable questioning his choices as he is a wealth of information and will walk you through it all!
Dr.Penzias treated my husband and I like humans, not a number. We were always greeted by a smile, he always listened to our questions and fought hard for us when insurance thought we were not good candidates for using my own eggs. He never gave up and made sure we knew not to give up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tanner)
Sarah Tanner was incredible. She was upbeat, clear with instructions, greeted us with a hug like we became family and was genuinely thrilled for us when we were able to start our family.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I am incredibly fortunate to live in a state that my healthcare covers much of the expenses of my IVF. I only have minimal copays for the medications and treatments/procedures.
The first two rounds we did single embryo transfers and any remaining never made it to freeze. The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board. I ended up successfully having two beautiful daughters from that cycle and am currently pregnant with one from the one remaining frozen embryo we had from our 3rd cycle.

2013 - 2018, Successful
My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI [with Dr. Carla DiGirolamo]...answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly...I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Digirolomo. She gave me a beautiful daughter, and now my husband and I are trusting her again with an IVF cycle. She is the most compassionate woman who is solid with her knowledge of fertility treatments and all of the above. She rocks!
I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that [at Boston IVF]...Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her...The staff are excellent and are always very nice...Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Be patient and ask lots of questions. I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that. They want you to have the tools and knowledge to make decisions and going to Boston IVF has been the best decision for my family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. D answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I started with IUI and we were ecstatic to find out that it took on the second cycle without medication. My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI. We waited a few years, dealt with a job loss and a stressful moment in our lives but got back on the horse so to speak. I have had a couple of setbacks and will be going to have a polyp removed to start IVF, but I couldn't be more thankful to have Dr. D and her team helping me through it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bryna)
Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The staff are excellent and are always very nice. The two things I would recommend are to have a direct number for the team and have the main number go on before 9 am. Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
We had it covered by insurance.
Carla DiGirolamo