Merle Berger

Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2009 - 2011, Successful
She [Dr. Huang] took the time to talk with me and wasn't in a rush... We chose her because a friend highly recommended her. We liked her and felt confident having her for a doctor. It was a little strange when she apologized when we found out we were pregnant with twins because we were thrilled and somehow she thought we'd be disappointed...She wasn't the warmest doctor I've ever had, but she is really good...
7-8 years ago they [IVF New England] had a few practices that were not very lgbt friendly... like I'm my wife had to take a pregnancy test & an HIV test...She [the nurse] was great. More friendly than the doctor...
How was your experience with Pei-Li Huang at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pei-Li Huang at Boston IVF?
She wasn't the warmest doctor I've ever had, but she is really good.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pei-Li Huang at Boston IVF?
She took the time to talk with me and wasn't in a rush.
Describe the protocols Pei-Li Huang used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
It was a long time ago. Sorry.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
She was great. More friendly than the doctor.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
7-8 years ago they had a few practices that were not very lgbt friendly... like I'm my wife had to take a pregnancy test & an HIV test.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pei-Li Huang at Boston IVF.
Pei-Li Huang
Lexington
2010 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Sneeringer was very accessible. If I had a question, she would always call me back, even if it seemed like the nurses could answer it...I had a lot of anxiety during the treatments and it was an incredibly difficult time in my life. She was very empathetic and provided lots of resources to help me out.
Scheduling all the diagnostic tests was difficult with my teaching schedule-- plan well in advance. [Boston IVF nurses had] empathy and respect for timing (they knew and appreciated that everyone is very busy).
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
She was very accessible. If I had a question, she would always call me back, even if it seemed like the nurses could answer it. She was kind and compassionate and performed all my procedures except for one.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I never felt like our appointments were rushed. She took as long as we needed to answer all of our questions and went through all of the procedures thoroughly. I had a lot of anxiety during the treatments and it was an incredibly difficult time in my life. She was very empathetic and provided lots of resources to help me out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Empathy and respect for timing (they knew and appreciated that everyone is very busy)
Rita Sneeringer
2005 - 2011, Successful
Brian Berger is a wonderful doctor and has a great bedside manner. Kind, funny, calm and wicked smart....Brian is awesome. From start to finish he patiently answered all of our questions, anticipated our concerns in advance, and was so knowledgeable. He is so skilled at problem solving, even when the answer was out of reach to us, he put us at ease every step of the way. We knew we were seeing the best doctor around...Ask all the questions. Don't hesitate!
I have no complaints. I love Boston IVF in Waltham!...I didn't work with them [the nursing staff] too frequently but when I did they were professional, knowledgeable, empathetic and kind...[Dr. Brian Berger] is awesome. From start to finish he patiently answered all of our questions, anticipated our concerns in advance, and was so knowledgeable. He is so skilled at problem solving, even when the answer was out of reach to us, he put us at ease every step of the way. We knew we were seeing the best doctor around.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Ask all the questions. Don't hesitate!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I'm sorry I don't remember.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I didn't work with them too frequently but when I did they were professional, knowledgeable, empathetic and kind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I have no complaints. I love Boston IVF in Waltham!
Brian Berger
2003 - 2010, Successful
Dr. Ozkowitz is not necessarily overtly warm, yet the care he has for his patients is nonetheless obvious and he is wise and careful in his treatment plan....Dr. Oskowitz made a very astute plan as treatment evolved and after initial failure (and although the primary diagnosis of PCO was fairly standard there was unexplained poor egg quality that required some further finesse and analysis). The end result was 2 beautiful girls who are now 13 and 16. I can only imagine in the decade plus since my treatment, technology and care has continued to improve.
With my first child, I was treated [at BostonIVF] only for PCO with injections and eventually a successful IUI. It was discovered in my first pregnancy that I have an incompetent cervix which made me a high risk pregnancy. It also made it impossible for me to carry twins. So when it was time to attempt conceiving my 2nd pregnancy, we went straight to IVF to control the number of embryos implanted (only 1 at a time) to ensure I didn't have twins.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
Not to expect a big bear hug, that's not his personality, but he is a very good doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
Because the care was personal and appropriate for my situation. Dr. Oskowitz made a very astute plan as treatment evolved and after initial failure (and although the primary diagnosis of PCO was fairly standard there was unexplained poor egg quality that required some further finesse and analysis). The end result was 2 beautiful girls who are now 13 and 16. I can only imagine in the decade plus since my treatment, technology and care has continued to improve.
Describe the protocols Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
With my first child, I was treated only for PCO with injections and eventually a successful IUI. It was discovered in my first pregnancy that I have an incompetent cervix which made me a high risk pregnancy. It also made it impossible for me to carry twins. So when it was time to attempt conceiving my 2nd pregnancy, we went straight to IVF to control the number of embryos implanted (only 1 at a time) to ensure I didn't have twins. What we found out when I went through IVF was that for an unexplained reason the embryos were poor quality. After 2 unsuccessful IVF treatments (and sorry, I just realized I put 2 IVF cycles in the questionnaire but it was actually 3), he recommended we wait until day 5 for transfer to really understand which embryo was good enough quality to survive. Only 1 embryo survived to day 5, and she is now almost 14. His treatment plan was a success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I cannot remember the names now, treatment was a while ago, but the nurses were wonderful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF.
Covered by my insurance.
Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired)
2003 - 2010, Unsuccessful
[Dr Selwyn Oskowitz] took time to explore all the issues/possibilities/probabilities. Showed interest in my overall health not just ovaries. Very supportive and encouraging. Respectful...Informative, respectful, competent. Honest re probabilities, possibilities, shared professional opinions, honest re competencies, concerns. Professional.
[Boston IVF is] organized, clean, timely, professional, mostly considerate of time and stress involved in this kind of care...[Dr Selwyn Oskowitz] took time to explore all the issues/possibilities/probabilities. Showed interest in my overall health not just ovaries.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
OK to ask lots of questions and share any concerns. He seemed to 'get it.'
Took time to explore all the issues/possibilities/probabilities. Showed interest in my overall health not just ovaries. Very supportive and encouraging. Respectful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Organized, clean, timely, professional, mostly considerate of time and stress involved in this kind of care.
Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired)
Boston

Dr. Ryley was personable and informative. He balanced humor and compassion with delivering clear, scientific explanations of the care plan...was an excellent provider. He treated us respectfully and provided a full explanation of what to expect throughout the time in treatment. He did an excellent job balancing humor and compassion with providing real-time, scientific explanations of his understanding of our case and options for how to proceed. We were consistently engaged in decision-making around our care.
Boston IVF was a great place for us. They took great care of us. Honestly, my only piece of feedback is that the television they have on in the waiting rooms is horrible! Try for HGTV or something soothing not scandalous talk shows...When trying for my first child, I had unmedicated, unmonitored IUI cycles based solely on ovulation tests/symptoms. My daughter (DOB 9/2015) was conceived on the third cycle. For my second, I completed 4 unsuccessful IUI cycles with Dr. Ryley before moving out of the area. For these, we did do ovulation monitoring and trigger shots.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was an excellent provider. He treated us respectfully and provided a full explanation of what to expect throughout the time in treatment. He did an excellent job balancing humor and compassion with providing real-time, scientific explanations of his understanding of our case and options for how to proceed. We were consistently engaged in decision-making around our care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Ask as many questions as you need to feel like you understand and are comfortable with the plan before you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
My care was covered by my insurance with minimal copays on my part.
David Ryley
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
[Dr. Obasiolu] was willing to be aggressive with treatment (I need TONS of drugs to have anything happen), and he was sensitive to my goals (I wanted a big family). My favorite thing about him was his insistence (before he knew it was our desire too) to only transfer one embryo
Chris [Boston IVF nurse] really cared about me. When I had a major setback the first time I took injectables (I didn't do it correctly and thus got no eggs - it was TOTALLY my fault), she was so sweet and comforting.
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Boston IVF?
He was professional and aggressive, and I got a baby out of it all, so I'm sure that colors my opinion. But I liked that he was honest and straightforward (no sugar-coating).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Obasiolu at Boston IVF?
No specific advice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Obasiolu at Boston IVF?
He is DEFINITELY not warm and fuzzy, but he knew his stuff, was willing to be aggressive with treatment (I need TONS of drugs to have anything happen), and he was sensitive to my goals (I wanted a big family). My favorite thing about him was his insistence (before he knew it was our desire too) to only transfer one embryo (given my overall health and relatively young age - 27).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Chris (she's no longer there))
I LOVE Chris. She is by far my most favorite nurse/doctor I've ever interacted with. She was so caring and compassionate. She really cared about me. When I had a major setback the first time I took injectables (I didn't do it correctly and thus got no eggs - it was TOTALLY my fault), she was so sweet and comforting.
Charles Obasiolu
Boston
Dr McShane, of Reproductive Science Center [merged with Bostong IVF] was brilliant, kind, listened well, and attentive....I liked her very much and against all odds, became pregnant and delivered a full term healthy daughter in 2001. I was 45! I saw Kim Thorton for my second attempt and stopped after 2-3 cycles and IUI since I was pushing the envelope at 47 to have another child.
Boston IVF was a different environment and more antiseptic than Reproductive Science Center....I saw Kim Thorton for my second attempt and stopped after 2-3 cycles and IUI since I was pushing the envelope at 47 to have another child.
How was your experience with Patricia McShane at Boston IVF?
I was treated by reproductive Science Center and Patricia McShane was my doctor. I liked her very much and against all odds, became pregnant and delivered a full term healthy daughter in 2001. I was 45! I saw Kim Thorton for my second attempt and stopped after 2-3 cycles and IUI since I was pushing the envelope at 47 to have another child.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Patricia McShane at Boston IVF?
Not that strong of a memory - it was 11 years ago.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Dr Mc Shane, of Reproductive Science Center was brilliant, kind, listened well, and attentive. Boston IVF was a different environment and more antiseptic than Reproductive Science Center.
Patricia McShane
Framingham
Ask any question you have and make sure to tell him everything. Use his expertise.
I got OHSS [Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome] and the nurses took amazing care of me
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias was throrough and detailed and thoughtful. I appreciated his honesty and patience. He was confident yet caring. He seemed very busy but always gave us sufficient time. I would highly recommend him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Although he was busy, he cared and took time for us
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I got OHSS and the nurses took amazing care of me. very thoughtful and compassionate
Alan S. Penzias