6.6

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Our biggest concern with dr. Bergers office was that it took so long to make an appointment. At one point in time they had schedule an appointment for us on a day that he was not working, which was frustrating.... I feel that he understands what is going on and closely monitors each patient.... After we had an unsuccessful Embryo transfer due to an inability to pass the catheter, he recommended a hysteroscopy.
I've always felt that everyone was helpful and responsive to phone calls and questions. The staff [Boston IVF -South Shore] for ultrasounds in blood draws was fantastic and conversational when appropriate. The wait was always minimal for any testing and they were able to answer any questions over the phone. Our only problem was being scheduled for an appointment when the doctor wasn't there, and then having to wait to meet with him.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Our biggest concern with dr. Bergers office was that it took so long to make an appointment. At one point in time they had schedule an appointment for us on a day that he was not working, which was frustrating. We were able to reschedule for a couple of weeks later for a phone consult. He recommended something that we had felt we could have taken care of during the wait for the appointment. Ultimately though, it was probably better for my body to have a rest which is what he ended up saying on the phone anyways. I feel that he understands what is going on and closely monitors each patient.
Have patience in the fertility process. We wanted this so bad that it was easy to be frustrated. I definitely feel the doctor Berger is trying to help us get pregnant
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Although sometimes it took awhile to get an appointment with him, when he was talking to us he was compassionate and helpful. He also was very positive about our ability to conceive.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did 3 IUI Cycles with letrozole and then a trigger. For our IVF cycle we did gonal-f, cetrotide and crinone. After we had an unsuccessful Embryo transfer due to an inability to pass the catheter, he recommended a hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Our care during blood draws and ultrasounds was fantastic
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I've always felt that everyone was helpful and responsive to phone calls and questions. The staff for ultrasounds in blood draws was fantastic and conversational when appropriate. The wait was always minimal for any testing and they were able to answer any questions over the phone. Our only problem was being scheduled for an appointment when the doctor wasn't there, and then having to wait to meet with him.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Almost all of our fertility treatments were covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield. There was some initial cost of approximately $600 and then small co-pays of approximately $50 for medications.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We only plan to transfer one during the first cycle and would increase in subsequent Cycles if necessary. We agreed with this strategy.
South Shore

My doctor [Dr. Kuohung] recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach... was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency...I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well... I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr Kuohung struck a really good balance between maintaining a positive outlook while acknowledging the realities we faced. One of the things I appreciated most about Dr Kuohung was her willingness to answer all of my questions thoroughly and patiently. At several points throughout treatment, she helped my partner and I to identify the pros and cons of each option, referred to current research, and clarified her explanations for us when we had trouble grasping some of the scientific concepts that were unfamiliar to us. In deciding how many embryos to transfer, she was able to state her recommendation and rationale clearly, and also able to take into account our feelings about each option. I really appreciated her ability to balance her professional expertise with consideration for our opinions and priorities.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
When I began my IVF treatment, I was not familiar with many of the concepts and terms that need to be discussed. Dr kuohung did a very good job explaining much of this to me in an accessible manner, but I was still left feeling that I wanted a better understanding. Once I learned more of the terms I found it easier to understand our conversations. Having a better understanding of the background medical concepts made me feel more able to be an active agent in my treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr. Kuohung was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
Describe the protocols Wendy Kuohung used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don’t remember the specific stimulation protocol we used but I know we chose it with the assumption that Iould be a poor responder due to my age. I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic was visually pleasant, nurses were friendly and efficient and I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
My treatment for this cycle was covered by insurance.
Describe Wendy Kuohung's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
My doctor recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach
Wendy Kuohung
Waltham

Doctor Lannon took a great deal of time answering our many questions and creating a fertility plan with us. He was candid and clear with his responses and very funny which helped to keep the mood light, all the while being sensitive to our situation. We feel completely comfortable seeing Dr Lannon. I would have liked him to coach us more on lifestyle changes that could help improve our fertility, but it seems he was sure that our problem might not be improved and our best option is IVF.
The clinic [Boston IVF-S. Portland] is welcoming, private, calm and comforting. I never have to wait long to be seen and rarely encounter others in the wait room. If you are a male and need to provide a sample, you are allowed to do so at home and bring it in within an hour - which is great because there is only one restroom off the reception area. My husband was not interested in attempting to provide a sample in that restroom and walking it to the receptionist. The patient rooms are small and basic, offices are comfortable.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Do your homework ahead of your visit and go informed and armed with questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr Lannon is down to Earth, has a great sense of humor, and listens well and weighs in on concerns. He spent a lot of time with my husband and I.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Lannon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
So far we have received only diagnostic testing, one cycle of Clomid without treatment, and one cycle of Clomid with unmonitored IUI. We received the Clomid and IUI treatment because we asked for it, not because it was suggested. It has been suggested that we try IVF, but we will request one more round of IUI before considering.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tami Gosselin)
Tami has been wonderful with us. She is kind, answers all of our questions, and makes sure we are well informed. She calls and sends follow up emails so that I have a reference for instructions. She's great!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is welcoming, private, calm and comforting. I never have to wait long to be seen and rarely encounter others in the wait room. If you are a male and need to provide a sample, you are allowed to do so at home and bring it in within an hour - which is great because there is only one restroom off the reception area. My husband was not interested in attempting to provide a sample in that restroom and walking it to the receptionist. The patient rooms are small and basic, offices are comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF.
We paid $450 for an unmonitored IUI cycle. If I remember correctly, I paid $400 for a sonohysterogram, and about $100 for my husband's semen analysis. We also paid $200 for genetic testing (for me).
Describe Benjamin Lannon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
South Portland

Dr Berger helped me contact my OB, who was able to schedule a few tests and have it covered by my insurance under her care...is thorough, precise, kind, welcoming. He does not sugar coat anything, but he is also very gentle and sympathetic. He gets right down to the details right away and let’s you know exactly what’s going on. He has had to deliver a lot of bad news to us, specifically insurance denying us coverage, so he told us straight up but he always ALWAYS makes sure he takes time to let us voice our concerns, ask questions, cry, vent, and he lets us know our options with each step. He also lets us see the bright side of everything and let’s us know that we are not out of options.
These women [nurses at Boston IVF] were AMAZING!!!...Every single person in their offices are wonderful. Gentle, kind, compassionate, funny, empathetic, sympathetic. Some will tell you their personal stories so you don’t feel alone. Some will tell you success stories so you keep on hoping and praying. They will hand you tissues, let you cry...If you go for blood work, they will tell you what to expect. “We are gonna draw a lot today. How are you feeling about that?” They will ask if you’re comfortable, if you need anything, and always with a smile on their faces. The staff really is amazing.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr Berger is a little intimidating at first. He will straight up tell you the bad stuff first, that treatment didn’t work, that insurance is denying treatment, that sperm counts are low. That’s exactly what has happened with my husband and I. But then, he walks us through the next steps, options, discusses everything with us and explains it all. He makes sure that we have enough time to really process and understand what news he just gave is and he answers every question to the best of his ability, or makes sure his staff gets us the answers we need. Afterwards, he always puts a positive spin on the appointment. He tells us the best possible ideas of what he wants to try next and he’s compassionate when he is discussing this all. We have been devastated at some of the news he has given us, but he always tells us there’s other ways and that we shouldn’t give up. He is extremely informative, knows the best way to treat each patient or couple, starts with the most direct treatment that will give that patient the best possible outcome. But he also is compassionate and understanding and sympathetic when it doesn’t work. And then he’s positive that there will be another way! He’s a great doctor!
Take your time before your appointment to figure out what questions you’d like answers to, big or small. This whole process is overwhelming, and I don’t think any of us really know what to expect. Dr. Berger will take the time to listen to every concern and answer every question you have. And he does it with a positive outlook, an open mind, and a caring heart.
Dr Berger is thorough, precise, kind, welcoming. He does not sugar coat anything, but he is also very gentle and sympathetic. He gets right down to the details right away and let’s you know exactly what’s going on. He has had to deliver a lot of bad news to us, specifically insurance denying us coverage, so he told us straight up but he always ALWAYS makes sure he takes time to let us voice our concerns, ask questions, cry, vent, and he lets us know our options with each step. He also lets us see the bright side of everything and let’s us know that we are not out of options.
Dr Berger first started me out with day 3 and day 21 blood tests to make sure my cycle was “normal”. He then scheduled me for an HSG, which is a procedure where an OB checked my uterus and Fallopian tubes for any blockages. He then started me on Clomid for a cycle. He wanted to make sure everything within me was working and in good shape. He also had my husband produce a few semen samples within this time to monitor his sperm. Once we knew that my reproductive system was working well, and that my husband did have healthy sperm, Dr Berger wanted to move forward with IVF. Unfortunately, our insurance will not cover it. So we are now discussing our options and praying that a miracle happens.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
These women were AMAZING!!! Believe me, if I could, I would take each one of them home and cook a huge meal for them and pamper them with lots of treats! Every single person in their offices are wonderful. Gentle, kind, compassionate, funny, empathetic, sympathetic. Some will tell you their personal stories so you don’t feel alone. Some will tell you success stories so you keep on hoping and praying. They will hand you tissues, let you cry. They are so incredibly gentle in every way, yet thorough and make sure everything is done exactly how it needs to be done. They walk you through every step so you’re not so scared, and they will hold your hand if you still are scared. When you are there, it truly feels like everyone is a friend.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
There are a lot of steps in this fertility thing. The staff always makes sure you know how the process will work and walks (and talks) you through every little and big step. If you go for blood work, they will tell you what to expect. “We are gonna draw a lot today. How are you feeling about that?” They will ask if you’re comfortable, if you need anything, and always with a smile on their faces. The staff really is amazing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
In the beginning, nothing was covered by my insurance. But Dr Berger helped me contact my OB, who was able to schedule a few tests and have it covered by my insurance under her care. Then, the staff at Boston IVF helped me change to an insurance company that would most likely cover everything else. Most of my “stuff” in office was covered after that, dr visits, medications, blood work, urine tests, etc. we only had to pay our copay. Dr Berger did discuss with us the costs of IUI and IVF but since insurance denied those, we are still trying to figure out what our next steps are.
South Shore

She [Dr. Kristen Wright] is straight and to the point but not rude...She answers all your questions, no matter how crazy or outlandish you think those questions are and whether or not those should be potential concerns for you...Don't expect warm and fuzzy because you won't get it...I responded well but of the 22 eggs, only 12 were mature. I was put on cabergoline for 7 days to minimize OHSS. The second ER i was on the same injections but different amounts to yield more mature eggs which I did, and after transfer I was put on patches and crinone again.
Very personable staff [at IVF New England]...I always scheduled my appointments between 7a and 8a so that I didnt have to take time from work...Clean, organized, great time management, never waited too long to be seen in the waiting room...The nursing staff was always available and always answered my questions and call backs were always same day. Any worries or concerns were always addressed.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright is a great at communicator regarding test results, what to expect from those results and what realistic expectations should be. I never did any of my procedures with her, but she did manage my protocols and did all of my follow ups. This wasn't as important to me because I didn't know what to expect from IVF to begin with. When my first retrieval yielded poor results, she called me personally to let me know (and on a weekend). She adjusted my protocol for the second retrieval and was able to yield more mature eggs for fertilization which results in five embryos. I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with one of those embryos. I have recommended Dr. Wright to a friend of mine and she is currently under her care and loves her. Dr. Wright is not what I would consider "warm and fuzzy" but she is certainly professional, respectful and candid. I personally prefer this over "sugar coating" or someone trying to be my best friend. She knows what shes doing and I cannot elaborate enough on how much I like her as my RE, but also as a person.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Don't expect warm and fuzzy because you won't get it. She is straight and to the point but not rude. For me, knowing what you are dealing with, with IVF and infertility, it is better to know the details, the truth and all the facts surrounding your diagnosis and protocol, rather than someone who is "just nice". She answers all your questions, no matter how crazy or outlandish you think those questions are and whether or not those should be potential concerns for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
I was always treated with respect, honesty, and professionalism. My concerns were heard and my questions were answered. I never had to ask more than once for information or for further explanation if needed.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I was on menopur, gonal f, cetrotide injections and estradiol patches and crinone for the first egg retrieval. I responded well but of the 22 eggs, only 12 were mature. I was put on cabergoline for 7 days to minimize OHSS. The second ER i was on the same injections but different amounts to yield more mature eggs which I did, and after transfer I was put on patches and crinone again. The third transfer was a frozen cycle so instead of supposetories I was put on progesterone in oil shots until 10 weeks of pregnancy with patches.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clean, organized, great time management, never waited too long to be seen in the waiting room. Very personable staff. Weakness would be how difficult it is to contact Boston IVF Lexington when you are running late for your appointment. I always scheduled my appointments between 7a and 8a so that I didnt have to take time from work. It is impossible to get them on the phone that early. I would suggest giving patients a phone line they can call when they are running late or need to cancel, instead of talking to the answering service because there are people there from 6a.
I have no complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
Due to my insurance coverage, we paid $500 deductible and everything else was covered. I believe my insurance was billed $8,900 for each cycle. We paid our co-pays for all medications which was less than $300 for the first and second cycles (egg retrievals) and about $30 for the meds for FET.
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I have no comments other than because of my age (31), my insurance dictated what I could transfer. When I told her i wanted to transfer two embryos for my third cycle, she was receptive and we did discuss the complications of a twin pregnancy. We went forward and did a two embryo frozen transfer, and luckily we did because only one of those embryos took.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
After my seven week ultrasound, my OB-GYN office at the 11 week appointment still had not received any of my paperwork from IVFNE. I was told it would be sent within 7-10 business days, but it did not make it there in that time frame. I still don't know if they got it because I never followed up.
North Chelmsford

They're [the nurses at Boston IVF- Stoneham] great. Anytime that I called and had to leave a vm they got right back to me even though their message says 24 hours. In all the 30+ times I called they got back to me within an hour. Even after hours and on weekends. They're very organized and tell you exactly what the expectations are. It's a little intimidating at first because they present it like a secret mission, but they're simply being detailed and clear.
How was your experience with Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
My overall experience was great. This process can be overwhelming what with the terms, meds, options & possible change in protocol. Dr. Cardone explained everything in a manner that we could understand, a third grade level was was helpful. When my first IUI failed he changed things up a bit. When the second one did, his team called me the same day to share that Dr. Cardone already had my IVF treatment plan in place. He was pro active about it. When my husband presented with a sudden worry about embryo distraction, Dr. Cardone saw us the same week to walk us through the issue. (Due to my age it wasn't actually an issue for us). Dr. Cardone always kept us informed and educated. No question was foolish. For that we are grateful and for that we didn't ever question his plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
I would say that they shouldn't fear ever being treated like a question was foolish or that they were overreacting. That was always my fear as I was so uneducated about infertility. Dr. Cardone and his team are very skilled at what they do & are great with customer service.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
Dr. Cardone was very kind yet honest about the obstacles we could face. However, he also had a 'can do' attitude, and made us feel that our obstacles were manageable with some creativity & knowhow.
Describe the protocols Vito Cardone used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We started with IUI as it was least invasive. Also, I think that my ins required two failed before moving to IVF so we had no choice. (Not any fault of Dr. Cardone, but I felt that I was up against a clock as I was in the final few months of my 39th year. At 40 ins coverage is complicated). I have 2 embryos on ice and start about 15 days of prep on Oct 2 to get those little things back in me.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They're great. Anytime that I called and had to leave a vm they got right back to me even though their message says 24 hours. In all the 30+ times I called they got back to me within an hour. Even after hours and on weekends. They're very organized and tell you exactly what the expectations are. It's a little intimidating at first because they present it like a secret mission, but they're simply being detailed and clear.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think it could use a little interior design support. Although we're not going not for the decore, a little more of a welcoming astetically pleasing environment is great. They're efficient and that's what counts.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vito Cardone at Boston IVF.
Co pay, some of meds.
Describe Vito Cardone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I trust his judgement implicitly.
Vito Cardone
Stoneham

Dr.Penzias was always incredibly respectful and took his time explaining everything to us. He is very detailed and will share endless reports, graphs, charts, studies with you if you want to hear how he makes his decisions with your care. He has a clear passion for what he does and seems genuinely happy for you when you achieve the family you want.... The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board.
Boston IVF is incredible organized. Each doctor has a full team that follows their patients care. The only difficulty I ever had was dealing with the folks talking with insurance. I had the sense that the REs all communicate and share the most recent studies with each other and that our care was always based on the latest well respected studies.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Feel comfortable questioning his choices as he is a wealth of information and will walk you through it all!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr.Penzias treated my husband and I like humans, not a number. We were always greeted by a smile, he always listened to our questions and fought hard for us when insurance thought we were not good candidates for using my own eggs. He never gave up and made sure we knew not to give up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tanner)
Sarah Tanner was incredible. She was upbeat, clear with instructions, greeted us with a hug like we became family and was genuinely thrilled for us when we were able to start our family.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
I am incredibly fortunate to live in a state that my healthcare covers much of the expenses of my IVF. I only have minimal copays for the medications and treatments/procedures.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
The first two rounds we did single embryo transfers and any remaining never made it to freeze. The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board. I ended up successfully having two beautiful daughters from that cycle and am currently pregnant with one from the one remaining frozen embryo we had from our 3rd cycle.

2013 - 2018, Successful
My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI [with Dr. Carla DiGirolamo]...answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly...I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Digirolomo. She gave me a beautiful daughter, and now my husband and I are trusting her again with an IVF cycle. She is the most compassionate woman who is solid with her knowledge of fertility treatments and all of the above. She rocks!
I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that [at Boston IVF]...Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her...The staff are excellent and are always very nice...Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Be patient and ask lots of questions. I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that. They want you to have the tools and knowledge to make decisions and going to Boston IVF has been the best decision for my family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. D answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I started with IUI and we were ecstatic to find out that it took on the second cycle without medication. My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI. We waited a few years, dealt with a job loss and a stressful moment in our lives but got back on the horse so to speak. I have had a couple of setbacks and will be going to have a polyp removed to start IVF, but I couldn't be more thankful to have Dr. D and her team helping me through it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bryna)
Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The staff are excellent and are always very nice. The two things I would recommend are to have a direct number for the team and have the main number go on before 9 am. Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
We had it covered by insurance.
Boston

I can't say enough about how fantastic Dr. Pauli is. He is thorough and honest in his explanations of options for me and chances of success. He is creative and thoughtful in his approach to my treatment. He listens to my concerns and questions and I never feel talked down to. He's been invaluable in navigating this process, and I trust him implicitly...explains things honestly, realistically and thoughtfully. He is warm and genuine, and I feel very comfortable asking any questions I have.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Ask any questions you have, anytime. Dr Pauli will answer them honestly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr Pauli explains things honestly, realistically and thoughtfully. He is warm and genuine, and I feel very comfortable asking any questions I have.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We used a microdose lupron flare protocol. We primed with estrogen (2 mg tabs morning/evening) from Day 21 of my previous cycle until my current cycle started. 10 units MDLupron starting the evening of my suppression check, and morning/evening thereafter. Follastim 300 units morning/evening starting on cycle day 4. We've retrieved varying numbers of eggs (anywhere from 4-7 per cycle) and anywhere from 2-4 have fertilized each cycle. I'm older (42) so getting eggs to develop to Day 5 was a problem for the first 2 cycles. This past cycle we did a fresh 3 day transfer of the 2 fertilized eggs we had, but it was not successful. We're trying a similar cycle now, and will again do a fresh transfer with any fertilized eggs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses I speak with regularly (Brittany, Nikki, Sherice) are great. They're knowledgeable about my protocol, and promptly return any calls answering questions I have.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I go to the Boston IVF location in Lexington for bloodwork, ultrasounds, and my appointments with Dr. Pauli. The appointments run on time, the nurses and ultrasound technicians are knowledgeable and happily answer all of my questions. I go to Boston IVF location in Waltham for my egg retrievals and transfers. Everything's been good there as well, I've had no issues. Appointments run on time, doctors performing the retrievals and transfers have been thorough with their explanations. No complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Most was covered under my health insurance (thankfully). We didn't end up using PGS testing, but that would be an out of pocket cost, as would using frozen donor eggs.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We are doing a multiple embryo transfer, as I'm older and my egg quality hasn't been great. Dr Pauli felt that would give us the best chance of getting pregnant.
Lexington
Dr. Resetkova was extremely caring throughout the process of the first time I walked into her offie to personally calling me to tell me about my positive pregnancy test. She explained everything to me, as it applied to me. She customized my treatment for what my body was doing at that moment....I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was prescribed 5mg of Femara at the beginning of my cycle. I went in for regular blood work and ultrasound monitoring. I was told when to administer the Ovidrel shot in order to induce ovulation
The entire staff at Boston IVF is very helpful and dedicated to their patients. I never had to worry about getting my results; they called the second they were in and communicated next steps. They were easily available by phone or email....Little wait time in scheduling appointments with the doctor. Really warm staff that gets to know you well as your treatment progresses. I did not have any negative experiences. I was seen at the Quincy office throughout the entire process and I was always in and out on time.
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
I absolutely love working with Dr. Resetkova. I had the opportunity to be seen at MGH or BWH where my consults with MFMs were as I would be a high risk pregnancy after my second trimester loss. I chose to return to Dr. Resetkova because I fully trusted her after the first round of successful treatment. She explained everything to me, I never had questions about what would happen next. After my loss she developed a plan to get us towards our next round of treatment, when we were comfortable, as well as to help me get the information I needed to understand what happened in my pregnancy as well as what questions to ask of a MFM who will be managing my pregnancy in the future.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Ask questions about the various forms of treatment. A lot of clinics it seems will want to rush you to IUI or IVF. We chose to use ovulation induction without IUI after I asked further questions and she was completely on board and it worked for us our first try.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Dr. Resetkova was extremely caring throughout the process of the first time I walked into her offie to personally calling me to tell me about my positive pregnancy test. She explained everything to me, as it applied to me. She customized my treatment for what my body was doing at that moment. When I experienced a second trimester loss (unrelated to infertility or her treatment) she sat down with me to go over everything that happened; gave me helpful information as well as questions to ask MFM during consults; and created a new treatment plan with me so I would have steps to take, as she knows and understands that I'm a person that really needs a plan and having steps to look forward to.
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was prescribed 5mg of Femara at the beginning of my cycle. I went in for regular blood work and ultrasound monitoring. I was told when to administer the Ovidrel shot in order to induce ovulation and on what days to have relations. We then went back for two HCG blood draws and two ultrasounds before I went to my regular OB for care.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Easily available by phone or email to discuss issues. Little wait time in scheduling appointments with the doctor. Really warm staff that gets to know you well as your treatment progresses. I did not have any negative experiences. I was seen at the Quincy office throughout the entire process and I was always in and out on time. The early morning monitoring ensures that I got results by the early afternoon and that my work day wasn't interrupted.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
I had a $40 copay for my visits with Dr. Resetkova; I paid nothing out of pocket for monitoring ultrasounds/blood work. I had a prescription co pay for Ovidrel that was $130. I did not pay for Femara.
Nina Resetkova
South Shore
The doctor [Dr. Sneeringer] was very pleasant and at the same time realistic. We were given the facts and although we did not go as far as she planned us needing to go, we were always informed...VERY thorough in her workup which ultimately led to our baby girl we are expecting. If the workup was not so thorough I never would have found the reason I kept losing pregnancies. We are forever grateful.
[The nurses at Boston IVF were] Always friendly and so happy for us when the time came...Sometimes you will be called by and NP and it may be someone you have not met before. In my opinion it did not matter as long as I was being cared for in a timely manner. With other people it may matter and you may want a one on one relationship with the doctor...I was given baby aspirin for MTHFR and elevated PAI 1. I was also given metformin 1500mg daily for elevated insulin with no other signs of PCOS.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
We truly enjoyed being patients of Dr. Sneeringer. She was very realistic and VERY thorough in her workup which ultimately led to our baby girl we are expecting. If the workup was not so thorough I never would have found the reason I kept losing pregnancies. We are forever grateful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Just keep going! Keep plugging away. There are many roads to becoming a parent and if one doesn't work try the next. It is an extremely difficult experience but nothing is more worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
The doctor was very pleasant and at the same time realistic. We were given the facts and although we did not go as far as she planned us needing to go, we were always informed.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I was given baby aspirin for MTHFR and elevated PAI 1. I was also given metformin 1500mg daily for elevated insulin with no other signs of PCOS. Once the next pregnancy was achieved we were given Crinone 8% gel daily which I believe was the best thing that helped our daughter grow. I continued crinone for 28 weeks although it was only recommended until 10. I just had too big of a feeling that she needed it and my progesterone was low multiple times when I had lab work done. Our daughter is now coming in just a week!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Always friendly and so happy for us when the time came. They even asked that we bring the baby in to see them which we will!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
The lab work was the most expensive being about 800 dollars but at the time our insurance was not the greatest. The medications totaled about 35 per month which was great!
Rita Sneeringer
Stoneham
Dr. Glatstein was very compassionate, very personable. For key milestones, he often called us himself...From the beginning, Dr.Glatstein gave us the confidence and sense of calmness we needed throughout the process. Through it all, Dr. Glastein was there for us and assuring us that we would have success! Failing a fresh embryo transfer after retrieval, we had success upon our first frozen embryo transfer. Dr. Glatstein is a passionate, patient, and kind caregiver. We were so thankful to have him on our side.
Process wise there was some confusion [at IVF New England] about who (which doctor) is performing retrievals and transfers. It was not clear to me from the beginning that my primary treating physician may not be the one performing the retrieval or transfer. I wish I received more advance notice of which doctor was on staff that day performing these duties...The clinic works tirelessly. I was worried my transfer timing might occur right on Thanksgiving Day. The assured me they work, they're open!
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Every fertility journey is unique. From the beginning, Dr.Glatstein gave us the confidence and sense of calmness we needed throughout the process. Through it all, Dr. Glastein was there for us and assuring us that we would have success! Failing a fresh embryo transfer after retrieval, we had success upon our first frozen embryo transfer. Dr. Glatstein is a passionate, patient, and kind caregiver. We were so thankful to have him on our side. Don't wait to make an appointment... go see them now!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Do not hesitate to make an appointment. Time is precious!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Isaac Glatstein used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr.Glastein ordered Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide for stimulation. I believe all were low-to-moderate doses as this was my first cycle and I was 31 YO at the time. Leuprolide trigger shot was also ordered but not used as it was not needed. Retrieval resulted in 9 eggs. Estradiol patches and Crinone were ordered as supportive medications as well.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff changed quite a bit during the entire course of treatment. I believe it was the clinic's intention to assign a primary nurse but due to turnover and staffing changes it felt like I spoke with a different person every time. Although this was somewhat frustrating from a continuity of care perspective, all the nurses I spoke with were well trained and pleasant.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic works tirelessly. I was worried my transfer timing might occur right on Thanksgiving Day. The assured me they work, they're open! As a private clinic this is a major positive vs. smaller or academic clinics that may not do retrievals or transfers on Sundays or holidays for example. Process wise there was some confusion about who (which doctor) is performing retrievals and transfers. It was not clear to me from the beginning that my primary treating physician may not be the one performing the retrieval or transfer. I wish I received more advance notice of which doctor was on staff that day performing these duties.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF.
Fortunately, I had insurance coverage. I believe I paid a coinsurance for stimulation medications. Otherwise, all procedures, monitoring, testing, etc... was covered at no cost to me with the exception of cryopreservation which I believe was at or close to $1,000. We also have to pay $85 per month out of pocket for continued storage of cryopreserved embryos.
Isaac Glatstein
Lexington
Be prepared to talk to nurses more than him [Dr. Berger] for the majority of the time...He is very kind and gentle. I wish I got hard numbers for odds, but I’m not sure any doctor can really give that. I do wish I saw or spoke with him instead of the nurses more often, but honestly, I know he is busy reviewing results and creating protocols and I can respect that. My feeling is, he is the expert and whatever he needs to make the magic happen, I support
I was given my negative result [by Boston IVF] on a voicemail once. I did not appreciate that at all. The other two times I was able to answer the phone...Nice place. Several locations, which is great. Surgery and lab on site at the main office. Although I have never been to any other clinic and cannot compare, everything feels very “top of the line” at bivf...The staff are all pretty attentive and caring. It does take a while to get a follow up appointment, but phone appointments make it easier to get one faster and since I live far away, I really appreciate being able to do phone appointments.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to talk to nurses more than him for the majority of the time. They are really helpful though, and will make sure to get all your questions answered
We used ovarian stims to try to get several eggs at each retrieval
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I was given my negative result on a voicemail once. I did not appreciate that at all. The other two times I was able to answer the phone.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Nice place. Several locations, which is great. Surgery and lab on site at the main office. Although I have never been to any other clinic and cannot compare, everything feels very “top of the line” at bivf. Speak up and don’t be afraid to ask questions about your protocol because it might not be explained in great detail, although it will certainly be explained to some degree. I am lucky that I have great insurance, but I think they have access to grant or study $ options which is great too
We have never discussed my decision to transfer one embryo. I have always been fine with transferring two 3 day or 1 at 5 day
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Pauli has great bedside manor, even while delivering bad news he makes you feel like he cares. I also like that he doesn’t give you false hope and tells it to you straight. Dr. Pauli has made me feel like I have say. When a cycle didn’t work he listens to my concerns and discusses the what to do next. I am a scientist so I am always reading medical journal articles, and Dr. Pauli respects that is willing to try things if it makes sense for a positive outcome.
Dr. Pauli’s nursing team [at IVF New England] openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!...the day of my fresh transfer my husband had a difficult day time with his contribution. Not only did the rooms not have any door looks, and people kept knocking on the door...The Waltham IVF location was the only complaint we have.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to ask any and everything you can think of.
Dr. Pauli along with his nursing team openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!
My first IUI we tried clomid, but it hampered growth of my uterine lining. So I ended up with a negative test. For the next two cycle of iui we just used gonal-f at 375 units twice daily, still we got a negative. I never had more than 4 follicles. For the first IVF we used BC, lupron and final-f. After the BC my body had a difficult time restarting resulting in 22 days of injections. However there were 3 follicles and two were retrieved. Both follicles were fertilized by icsi and were day 3 transfer 8A embryos my lining thickened to 7mm. Unfortunately we saw a negative. When meeting with the Dr we discussed what might have hampered things, my concern was that the BC was too suppressive so we tried just estrogen and lupron. . After 14 days of injections my lining had thickened only and I had only one follicle and It didn’t want to grow. So to my dismay the cycle was canceled. The third cycle we went back to BC with clomid, gonal-f and a antagomits. Centrolide the antagonist hurt and bruised me for weeks. Once again my lining did not grow past 4mm, I did have 2 nice follicles. Due to the low # of follicles the IVF cycle was converted to iui. Nothing stuck. Dr. Pauli told me as long as I produce eggs we will try, but I need to start thinking about using a donor egg. That is tough to hear but it is realistic. My current cycle is just beginning with BC, lupron and 375 BID. I hope we get a positive soon.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Dr. Pauli’s nursing team openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is coviently located in Lexington to my work near by. The day of my fresh transfer my husband had a difficult day time with his contribution. Not only did the rooms not have any door looks, and people kept knocking on the door. The Waltham IVF location was the only complaint we have.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Medications, copays and lab work.
Lexington
It was obvious that Dr. Berger genuinely cared about us. He would come into the office and have a conversation with us about every day life. He wasn’t just there to talk IVF business. I appreciated having a friendly conversation with him that wasn’t strictly IVF related...He is a compassionate human being that genuinely cares about his patients. You could tell he felt our pain when things didn’t go as planned and he felt our happiness when they did. I was sad to have to part with him when I was 6 weeks pregnant. He made me feel like there was hope when our first doctor didn’t. He gave me our miracle baby!
They [nurse at Boston IVF] were all super sweet and very friendly...There was only one time when I wasn’t notified of my next steps. But I don’t consider that as something that requires me to tattletale on them because I understand the amount of phone calls they receive and deliver each day...Considering the amount of people they have in and out of their clinic daily I would say that they are doing pretty well. Of course there are some things that I could complain about but I wouldn’t necessarily consider them as a weakness
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Be patient. Ask any and all questions. It will happen for you one way or another. We were told by my first IVF doctor that after my daughter was born my husband wouldn’t be able to keep going in producing sperm. Here we are 4 years later with our little miracle babe!
He is aggressive. But he knows his stuff and how knows what your body can handle. I just put all my faith in him!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They were all super sweet and very friendly. We attended the baby bowl right after we started seeing Brian Berger as our doctor. His nursing team was also in attendance at the baby bowl and were able to spot myself and my husband and made sure to come and say hi to us. I thought it was great how personal they were with us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Thankfully my insurance company covered almost all of our procedures due to my husband‘s condition. We however are required to pay for sperm and embryo storage
He was open to whatever we chose. But because I was healthy and young there was no need for multiples
Boston

Dr. Wright has always been clear and direct with us, but is also careful to speak to us in a compassionate manner. She is very knowledgeable, consistently updating us on recent studies that relate to us and has always been very good at listening to our concerns and answered all our questions...be aware that she will not be doing many of your procedures as they are partnered with a bigger clinic that has other doctors for IVF egg retrieval’s, transfers iui’s etc.
The staff in this office [IVF New England] are incredible, they know you by name and treat you with sincere compassion...It’s a small clinic, but I never had to wait long for appointments. They do book up quickly so it generally takes about 2-3 weeks to get an appointment...Recently one of the part time nurses failed to call in a prescription for my thyroid medication....Brenda is amazing as a nurse coordinator and I truly felt that she cared for us to have a positive experience and outcome.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Be prepared with questions, Dr. wright will give you an honest opinion, so it’s important to know what questions to ask to help you understand where she is coming from. Also be aware that she will not be doing many of your procedures as they are partnered with a bigger clinic that has other doctors for IVF egg retrieval’s, transfers iui’s etc.
The staff in this office are incredible, they know you by name and treat you with sincere compassion.
We tried 2 rounds of oral pills, 1 month of clomid with timed intercourse, and 1 month of a higher dose of letrozoyle with timed intercourse. We got pregnant with letrozoyle, but miscarried shortly after. This was our 9th miscarriage so we quickly moved on to IVF. In our IVF cycles we used birth control for two weeks in my first cycle then added follistim 150units and menopur 150units for the first 5 days of my first cycle and then doubled each dose days 6-12 while also using cetrotide. Due to high progesterone we opted for a freeze all cycle. We had 15 eggs, 12 fertilized and 1 BB embryo made it to freeze. Our second IVF cycle we used menopur 150 and follistim 300 from day 1 of the cycle. We continued for 8 days before adding cetrotide in for days 8-10. We retrieved 13 eggs, 8 fertilized and transferred 2 day 5 morulas. We received a positive pregnancy test with doubling hcg and but are currently only 5 weeks along.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brenda Connolly )
Brenda is amazing as a nurse coordinator and I truly felt that she cared for us to have a positive experience and outcome. She always treated me like a friend more than a patient which is hard to come by. The other nurses were kind, and willing to answers my questions, and the ultrasound techs were always very kind as well.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It’s a small clinic, but I never had to wait long for appointments. They do book up quickly so it generally takes about 2-3 weeks to get an appointment, so that’s something I had to stay on top of, especially for follow up appointments after treatment.
Fortunately most of our treatment was forever by insurance, but I believe each IVF cycle with icsi was about $9,000
Dr. Wright prefers to transfer single embryos, unless there is a quality issue. In our case there was, so we transferred 2. She was flexible in adjusting our protocol from cycle to cycle to improve our chances based on how my body responded.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Recently one of the part time nurses failed to call in a prescription for my thyroid medication. I was understanding of the error, because it was just before a holiday and this particular nurse was the only nurse working and I’m sure had a lot to juggle. These things happen and we can’t always eliminate human error, that’s why I think it’s important to know your stuff as a patient because no one will be more on top of your care than you will.
Lexington

He [Dr. Penzias] really took the time to explain every part of our care....He showed us a power point with different statistics concerning sub fertility and seeing it on the screen really helped me understand the process....During our consultation he knew we had done 4 rounds of clomid without any pregnancies, so he suggested we try Letrozole for one month and then an IUI....He was also available for phone consultations which were really helpful.
The only frustrating part about the clinics [Boston IVF] were the locations....at times for treatment, I actually would have to travel to Albany (over 3 hours from my house) to do the procedures. I worked with MIchelle primarily....She always called me back same day and was really good with answering all my questions.... I also really liked that my clinic had a portal where all my information was stored. That made it easy to upload blood work orders, instructions for injections, etc.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
As a patient there were times where his eagerness definitely encouraged me. He listened to me when I told him I had a really hard time being on Clomid and he suggested Letrozole. When I started Letrozole he was very interested and concerned about how I was doing on that (I did very well on it). He explained to me why he thought Letrozole was a better fit for me than Clomid and that helped me a lot. He also explained why I wasn't ovulating every month and did a really good job going through the idea of sub fertility (people who are experiencing infertility with a diagnosis). At times I felt frustrated by our lack of diagnosis, but because he spent so much time explaining that we were not infertile but sub fertile, it made me feel much better.
Ask questions. Any questions. He can answer them!
He really took the time to explain every part of our care. He even met with us in between treatments to talk about next steps if our IUI did not work. He showed us a power point with different statistics concerning sub fertility and seeing it on the screen really helped me understand the process. Had he just spoken to us with no visuals, I would have had a really hard time following along. He was also available for phone consultations which were really helpful.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
During our consultation he knew we had done 4 rounds of clomid without any pregnancies, so he suggested we try Letrozole for one month and then an IUI. I was very fortunate that my IUI worked on the first round. I have no idea if it was the Letrozole that helped more or the IUI. For my second pregnancy, I want to try going on Letrozole for a month with intercourse to see if that works.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
I worked with MIchelle primarily. She was the person I spoke with the most. She always called me back same day and was really good with answering all my questions. She was good with giving me all the information that I would need, but not overwhelming me either. I also really liked that my clinic had a portal where all my information was stored. That made it easy to upload blood work orders, instructions for injections, etc.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only frustrating part about the clinics were the locations. I went to the Boston IVF Center in Syracuse initially but the clinic doesn't have their own location (they share a building with Upstate Medical Center). Often times my doctor wasn't available to meet in Syracuse (because he was actually based in Massachusetts!) and so at times for treatment, I actually would have to travel to Albany (over 3 hours from my house) to do the procedures. When I initially contacted Boston IVF- Syracuse, I thought everything would be done in Syracuse. However, if I wasn't willing to drive to Albany, my care would have been delayed. So we made the sacrifice and traveled to Albany.
Our insurance covered mostly everything (we have amazing insurance). But I do remember looking at the EOB and between blood tests, genetic testing, prescription, the sample collection, and the IUI- we were close to $5,000. We only paid deductibles in the range of $20-40.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My husband had to drive to Albany for a genetic test and when he arrived the nurse didn't take blood for the genetic test. She took blood for a different test (the wrong one). Our primary nurse was really nice about it and felt terrible that he drove over 6 hours that day (since Albany is 3 hours from our house) and to make it right they sent him a genetic spit test.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr Pauli is great! He's soft spoken and kind of serious but extremely kind. He was happy to try new things. He called us after hours to give results to tests and spoke to us at length about all upcoming procedures. I trust him implicitly.
The nurses [at IVF New England] are wonderful. They are prompt with responding to your voice messages. I know some people don't like that you have to leave a voice mail and your clinic calls you back, but I prefer it sometimes. My only tiny gripe is calling after hours and dealing with the after hours team. They don't really know your back story so aren't really helpful.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don't be nervous to ask any question no matter what. He won't speak condescendingly and explains all angles of everything.
Dr Pauli calls us personally after hours to give results of tests. He once called while he was on vacation.
We did an antagonist protocol with 150iu of Menopur and 300iu of Gonal-f. We switched to a Lupron trigger from an HCG trigger because I was at risk of OHSS. We had done this protocol before but it was my best cycle so we tried it again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
The nurses are wonderful. They are prompt with responding to your voice messages. I know some people don't like that you have to leave a voice mail and your clinic calls you back, but I prefer it sometimes. My only tiny gripe is calling after hours and dealing with the after hours team. They don't really know your back story so aren't really helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
One weakness is that the satellite offices aren't as accessible as I'd like for monitoring appointments. It would be great if they opened the same time as the main clinic (It would be even greater if the main clinic opened about 30min earlier too) and if they were open on the weekends. The main clinic is over an hour away from me and the satellite is about a 20min drive so that's a bit of an irritation. And one major gripe is that the clinic recently closed and moved locations. We weren't given much notice. I'm not the biggest fan of the new locations and I will miss the old clinic. Change is inevitable I guess, I just would have liked more notice and a bit more information on how we would be affected. But I love my clinic. Everyone is so kind and they're very well organised. They're extremely responsive and I never felt like a number there.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Relatively efficient. A bit of a wait for blood work but nothing too crazy. The ultrasound techs are lovely.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Everything is covered under my insurance. PGD testing is covered as a reimbursement.
We've never had the privilege of the choice but Dr Pauli said that because we're doing PGD testing he would recommend transferring one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
It was a mistake that was quickly rectified. They thought that my husband didn't have a sperm sample. But we definitely did. We were being billed for it. By the time I called back to dispute they'd already gotten the correct information.

2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr. DiGirolamo met with us a number of times at the start of each cycle to talk through the process and listen to our concerns. There were times when it was hard to get a 'straight answer', especially after failed cycles - everything seem to be generalized as egg quality or not 'viable' - but I also understand that she can't explain exactly why the cycle failed. After visits with the doctor we would meet with the nurse to go over the instructions for the start of the cycle. Once we started, we didn't see the doctor again; just talked to the nurse with instructions after U/S and bloodwork...
[IVF New England - Lex] Front desk staff is very friendly and gets to know you over your visits. The phlebotemists and Ultrasound technicians couldn't be nicer. They are all friendly and welcoming - and this is a big plus because these are the people you see throughout your cycle face to face - not the nurse and not the doctor. I feel comfortable there - more than at any other doctor's office. The same can be said about the staff for egg retrieval - very nice/friendly/compassionate with you - especially if you are nervous for each egg retrieval like I am.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr DiGirolamo met with us a number of times at the start of each cycle to talk through the process and listen to our concerns. There were times when it was hard to get a 'straight answer', especially after failed cycles - everything seem to be generalized as egg quality or not 'viable' - but I also understand that she can't explain exactly why the cycle failed. After visits with the doctor we would meet with the nurse to go over the instructions for the start of the cycle. Once we started, we didn't see the doctor again; just talked to the nurse with instructions after U/S and bloodwork
I would give this for any doctor: the process is overwhelming and even if you think you asked everything and understood anything when walking out the door, make sure to leave the door open for follow up questions or to repeat information. Ask the doctor what is the best way to contact them or their nurses for these types of questions
She seemed genuine in giving us advice and telling us the process
strong protocol with stimulation medication to help with low reserve
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Negative: Some of the nurses would be short with you if you asked questions or when explaining your instructions - probably because they repeat themselves a number of times a day - but depending on who called you, it could be annoying. Also, they were hard to get a hold of. If I called, I never had anyone answer live...I always had to leave a voicemail and wait for a call back. Not everything is explained in detail. I recently did a cycle where it was a freeze all due to genetic testing. They kept telling me to call when I got my period after the retrieval - but didn't indicate why. I didn't ask (so that's on me) but assumed they just needed to track it. When I got my period and called, they said I would need to go on the pill - and the reason for that was because I was still waiting for financial approval of the frozen cycle and they need to control my period. Not a big deal, but I thought it was weird that this was not explained to me previously. I think overall it boils down to - they same the same thing, more or less - to probably 20 or more patients a day - so sometimes you can tell they want to just spit out the instructions and be done. Positive: while some of the nurses were bitchy, some were really nice, patient and tried to help. There was one time when my medication order got messed up with my insurance and the nurse worked with for a few hours trying to fix it. While I said all that 'negative' stuff, 8 times out of 10 I got a really nice nurse.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I'm unsure as my insurance covered about 90%. I think each cycle - with a fresh transfer cost around $9000

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
I cannot say enough positive feedback about Dr. Berger. He is a brilliant MD who respects all of his patients. He has been compassionate to both my wife and I throughout this heartbreaking journey of infertility. He stood by us when we decided to fight our insurance company for IVF coverage (since this was an infertility issue and not just because we lacked sperm) after a heartbreaking year of trying to conceive. He was also so supportive and positive after we suffered a miscarriage.
I typically speak with Kayla or Allison [nurses at Boston IVF] and they are both fantastic. They are knowledgeable and compassionate. Typically, if I am calling them it's because I need something and they are always so understanding. They always call you back and never seem to be rushed or annoyed by my many questions. There is a PACU nurse named Kris, that is an exceptional nurse and such a gift to the practice. She is also so compassionate and clearly chose the right field to practice in.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
If you are contemplating a consult or even a second opinion, I would highly recommend seeing Dr. Berger. I see that others say he can run behind schedule, just plan for the time. Once in the room with him, you will have his undivided attention. That is much more important to me than someone running on time. I expect that from routine visits but not from something as emotional as a visit with your RE.
Dr. Berger is a kind and compassionate physician. He definitely treats you like a human and remembers you both on the phone and in person. Although the center is busy, I have never felt "like just another number"
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kayla)
I typically speak with Kayla or Allison and they are both fantastic. They are knowledgeable and compassionate. Typically, if I am calling them it's because I need something and they are always so understanding. They always call you back and never seem to be rushed or annoyed by my many questions. There is a PACU nurse named Kris, that is an exceptional nurse and such a gift to the practice. She is also so compassionate and clearly chose the right field to practice in.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Everything was covered by insurance after I completed 6 IUI that was out of pocket
We did eSET for the 1st 2 transfers as it was required by BCBS of MA. We would have done 2 embryos after the first transfer failed and he supported that.

2017, Unknown Success
Dr Thornton has a great ability to explain complicated processes. I know the general gist of what happens but she literally drew out a map of the process. I know it's more complicated but it made it easier for me to follow ans understand. And she tells us like it is. She didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, she told me what I needed to hear...I just started. So the only protocols I started was first with the birth control pill. This is to "jump start" my ovaries. Once I get a period after stopping the pill, I'll get a blood test the next day and then I'll start the injections. The lady I spoke with about the injections was super helpful and figured out a way that I could do one injection a night with all the medication instead of 3 injections! Very helpful, I'm not a fan of needles.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be ready to hear the real facts if you're in the grey area of becomming pregnant. She doesn't hide reality.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Dr Thornton didn't hide any realities from me because of my age. She told me things I needed to know and not pretend that it's garauntee that I'll become pregnant. And her staff are the nicest, warm, caring people. It's tough to go through this and everyone there treats you like a person, definitely not a number.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
She treated me with respect. Her and her team has a motherly, caring aspect about them which made me feel comfortable given what I'll be going through shortly. Just a great team to work with, all the way to the ultrasound team and the phlebotomists, they are fabulously talented and kept me calm at all times
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
While you may have an appt time for blood work, there's still a sign in sheet and you get taken in by the list. So If you need to get out of your appt quickly, it's good to get there a little earlier than your appt.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
My health insurance covered a good portion of appointments. I'm not sure if the cost yet going forward. Waltham is a certified wellness center and I get and extra 10k$ towards my lifetime IVF coverage
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Waltham IVF only does single egg transfers. This reduces the risk of injury to the mother and babies should Multi births happen. This is fine by me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The only thing that happened and not sure where the error occurred, but tests were ordered as part of my husbands blood work and when they got the results, one of the tests didn't happen. The nurse said she wrote it down and couldn't explain why it wasn't done.
Kim L. Thornton

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
[Dr. Samuel Pauli] Very detailed and thorough. Made numbered lists. Talked through all aspects of the situation with precision and compassion. Calming bedside manner -- not overly empathic, so seemed trustworthy...If you like someone who makes lists and is detailed, he is your doctor. I didn't want someone who would be overly emotional -- I wanted the news straight, and that's what I got...gave precise explanations and called to follow up
Small outpost of IVF New England and Boston IVF merger. I usually went to Lexington office (IVF NE) but could also go to Waltham office (Boston IVF) for blood work and ultrasounds. I VASTLY PREFERRED the staff at the Waltham office. Ultrasound techs were friendly and communicative, phlebotimists were skilled and fast...I'd come in for morning blood work and ultrasound, and nursing staff would call with results by 2 pm. Very clear communication, gave precise directions. The one thing that didn't happen is that we did not have an appointment to specifically walk me through each of the medications (but I figured it out).
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
gave precise explanations and called to follow up
My insurance required 2 IUIs before IVF. For IUI, used Letrozole and an Ovidrel trigger. Now in middle of IVF. Using Menopur and Gonal-F for daily injections. HCG and Lupron trigger. Cabrigolide to prevent OHSS, will use progesterone cream and estrogen patches to support transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
I have excellent insurance with a $4000 deductible. after my deductible was satisfied, everything was free. Office visits were $300-$500, blood work and ultrasounds were usually around $150. Medications were thousands.
Definitely said not to do more than 2 embryos. On the fence about 1 vs 2.

2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Lannon is a stellar doctor who has always communicated well with me. He's honest but warm, personable, and analytical. His bedside manner is impeccable and he has a good sense of humor. We had mixed results with our embryos and I had some complications throughout my treatment, but I always felt a strong sense of empathy from him and felt like we were in this together...Dr. Lannon was always happy to share his knowledge. He explains things when asked, but he might not offer up information without a prompt.
I only saw one doctor (not including anesthesiologists) at Boston IVF which I really liked. The nurses are quick to call you back. They have floating sonographers so I hardly saw the same person twice for ultrasounds. The receptionist is wonderful, but the backup receptionist is not warm at all. They just redesigned their website, and while it looks nicer, it's too "marketing" and not "caring" enough for me...
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm pretty inquisitive and Dr. Lannon was always happy to share his knowledge. He explains things when asked, but he might not offer up information without a prompt.
Dr. Lannon has always been very personable with me. He's always made me feel very comfortable and like I mattered.
After rounds Clomid and a couple failed IUIs with another doctor, I saw Dr. Lannon for a full round of IVF. He first did a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to ensure my tubes weren't blocked, then we started the IVF cycle. Stimulation: Gonal-F and Lupron. Retrieval: general anesthesia. Transfer: transferred two fresh 5-day embryos and froze three more. Subsequent frozen transfers have consisted of Estradiol pills and patches, and progesterone suppositories (Crinone before the drug price skyrocketed, Endometrin after). Before my final transfer, Dr. Lannon recommended/performed a hysteroscopy on me due to retained placental product which called for general anesthesia.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
It took me a bit to warm to Amy. She covers information quickly and is very frank which can come off as uncaring, but she's great once you get to know her a bit better.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
In 2014, IVF: $8,300 paid in full before process began (included pre-op; follicle monitoring; serum hormone assays during stimulation; egg retrieval; sperm prep; anesthesia; transfer; post-op). My initial meds were $4,000. Embryo freezing: $1,750. ICSI: $2,500. Other fees (we did not incur): $500 anesthesia at transfer; $1,000 assisted hatching. Patients can apply for financial aid and must submit two years of tax returns.
I requested the initial transfer of two embryos and Dr. Lannon obliged. Subsequent transfers have been singles.
South Portland

He [Dr. Paul] was incredibly knowledgeable. He took the time to go over our five previous cycles in great detail, including dosing and why he thought our outcomes were what they were. He was quick to adjust my doses when my terrible ovaries were not responding well to stims, and was very candid about the fact that my retrieval might not be successful due to my ovaries being displaced by adhesions from endometriosis.
The staff [at IVF New England]\ is mostly awesome. There was one ultrasound tech in the Brookline office who was young and super unprofessional but every other person I encountered was amazing. Every phlebotomist, secretary, ultrasound tech (except for that one), and nurse was compassionate and efficient and just all around awesome. I don’t have any weaknesses to comment on.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He was incredibly knowledgeable. He took the time to go over our five previous cycles in great detail, including dosing and why he thought our outcomes were what they were. He was quick to adjust my doses when my terrible ovaries were not responding well to stims, and was very candid about the fact that my retrieval might not be successful due to my ovaries being displaced by adhesions from endometriosis. The best was the voicemail I got from him wishing me a happy and healthy pregnancy about a week after I was released from the clinic, that and the fact that he personally called me to talk about my fertilization report. And let’s not forget that it took my last doctor eight embryos over five transfers to get me a live birth, and it took Dr Pauli just two eSETs to give me the gift of my second daughter, who is due in less than two weeks.
Take the time to ask questions, because he will answer absolutely every single one of them candidly.
He genuinely cared about our situation, and he took plenty of time to go over every detail I asked for.
We did an antagonist protocol with very high doses of stims for over a week, I think I stimmed for 10 or 11 days? HCG trigger, retrieval went well, fresh eSET resulted in a chemical but I’ve never had luck with fresh transfers. Second transfer was a successful frozen eSET, used PIO for the first time, old doc had me always using Crinone. Also used baby aspirin for the first time.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were great. They were going through some staffing changes so I was never sure who to ask for specifically, but luckily I know one of the nurses personally (mom of a friend) and even though she wasn’t on my team she stepped in and helped me out tremendously whenever I needed to speak with someone directly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The staff is mostly awesome. There was one ultrasound tech in the Brookline office who was young and super unprofessional but every other person I encountered was amazing. Every phlebotomist, secretary, ultrasound tech (except for that one), and nurse was compassionate and efficient and just all around awesome. I don’t have any weaknesses to comment on.
Covered 100% by insurance
Our original plan was actually to transfer two at a time given my history, but my insurance limited us to eSET because of my age (under 35) and prior successful pregnancy. He did originally suggest eSET but after going over my history (three transfers of two embryos at once resulting in just one singleton) agreed that two was probably safe for me. I’m glad we ultimately didn’t take that path though!
Lexington

We saw Carla [DiGirolamo] for a second opinion after we had 4 failed IVF ICSI treatments with our first doctor. She was completely upfront with us from the moment we walked in the door. She explained that with our male factor issue that the best possible way to have a baby was to do the out of pocket PGS testing....She chose to put me on 2mg of estrace and baby aspirin daily leading up to my retreival. I was also on crinone afterwards. I dont recall my trigger shot. My egg was frozen for PGS testing and we transferred the one good egg about a month after the tests came back.
The nice thing about the Westborough office [Boston IVF] is how small it is. There isn't a lot of people there in the AM for blood or ultrasound and this make the wait shorter. It feels a little less like a doctors office.... Everyone I worked with was excellent. After years of treatments, my veins were weak and they always had trouble getting one, but we worked through it together. They were gentle and always made sure I was doing okay.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
We saw Carla for a second opinion after we had 4 failed IVF ICSI treatments with our first doctor. She was completely upfront with us from the moment we walked in the door. She explained that with our male factor issue that the best possible way to have a baby was to do the out of pocket PGS testing. We agreed and we finally have our miracle baby! Carla was amazing, she explained everything to us and answered every question we had along the way.
Ask all the questions you want to know, she will be honest and explain them to you.
She was honest with us and made us feel like we were there to create a human life and not just a patient of hers. She was kind, and always happy to see us, especially when she told us the results of our PGS results.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The nice thing about the Westborough office is how small it is. There isn't a lot of people there in the AM for blood or ultrasound and this make the wait shorter. It feels a little less like a doctors office.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
As stated in a previous response, monitoring was easy here. The clinic is small so the wait was usually short. The nurses were kind and never seemed to feel rushed.
We were lucky enough to have insurance pay for most of our treatments. So I don't recall the numbers.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We didn't have a choice. I only had one egg survive.