Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

She [Dr. Luzzo] is warm, compassionate, knowledgeable and realistic. She switched up my protocol and my very first cycle with her was successful...She diagnosed me with lean PCOS, something the first doctor missed...listens to her patients. She makes a plan based on your specific needs...After 2 chemical pregnancies and 2 miscarriages Dr. Luzzo suggested I go on the blood thinner lovenox. Instead of doing estradiol which I did with my first clinic, I took letrezole for 5 days. That was all I needed to do leading up to my FET. I am currently 29 weeks with twin boys after transferring 2 embryos.
It [IVF New England] is a small clinic and not open on Sundays. On days that were busy blood work may take a little longer than usual...Everyone on the nursing staff was so nice. My coordinator was Wendy and she was absolutely amazing. I really liked that it was her who called each time with results, it FET more personal...One thing is even though monitoring is and most testing is done in Providence you would have to go to MA for transfers and occasionally even monitoring of it needed to be done on a Sunday.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr Luzzo was the second doctor I saw after 2 failed IUIs and 4 failed FETs. She diagnosed me with lean PCOS, something the first doctor missed. She is warm, compassionate, knowledgeable and realistic. She switched up my protocol and my very first cycle with her was successful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Ask questions and be open with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She is warm and actually listens to her patients. She makes a plan based on your specific needs.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Shaw)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It is a small clinic and not open on Sundays. On days that were busy blood work may take a little longer than usual. I liked how I only ever had two ultrasound techs, and my coordinator. One thing is even though monitoring is and most testing is done in Providence you would have to go to MA for transfers and occasionally even monitoring of it needed to be done on a Sunday.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Even though I had cycled 4 times in the past, Dr. Luzzo really pushed to do an eSET to start as it would be the first time cycling with her. Although I totally trusted her I opted to go against medical advice and transfer two since this would be my 5th FET.
Lexington
I was really impressed w/ the clinic [Boston IVF] overall. This is all they do and they are clearly expert...Dr Sneeringer was aggressive (which is what I was looking for) and yet remained completely approachable throughout the process. She took time to answer all of my questions and made sure we were comfortable with what we were doing and why...I came to see Dr. Sneeringer after 3 cycles w/ another practice. She diagnosed the issue right away (my eggs weren't maturing) and devised a plan to fix this issue by increasing my medicated cycle. Perhaps it was a fresh pair of eyes, but the results for #4, the cycle w/ Dr. Sneeringer, were by far better than the previous 3. I had 2 embryos implanted and both took and we save a 3rd embryo in cryo. The results were fantastic.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was clearly smart and experienced - she demonstrated that she was keeping up on treatment evolutions and clearly had spent time reviewing my history. She was also highly approachable and warm, which was a great combination for me personally. I was able to get all of my questions answered, which gave me confidence, and still felt like a person, which made it bearable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Set up an appointment. Dr. Sneeringer was great and I wish I had found her when I first started!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
While you pick a practice for your physician, you end up interacting w/ the nurse much more frequently. Meg was patient and on top of it - I'd choose her again
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I was really impressed w/ the clinic overall. This is all they do and they are clearly expert.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Sneeringer explained the risks and potential outcomes and ultimately let me make the choice.
Rita Sneeringer
Waltham
From the get go, Dr. DiGirolamo was very warm, honest and straight forward. She spent a lot of time with my husband and I during our initial appointments, answering all of our questions and talking through our miscarriages and test results...Dr. D was very straight forward with us and told us IVF was pretty much our only option to ensure a successful pregnancy. It took a little while longer than I expected to get everything started but once we did it was very structured and disciplined.
The nurses [at IVF New England] were amazing. They were very nice/warm/kind and thorough. They were available to me 24/7 and were always able to answer my questions...I showed up for one appointment for bloodwork and ultrasound that wasn't in the queue. They called the nurses right away and got me on the schedule.I only had to wait an extra ten minutes. Nothing really went wrong and everyone was apologetic and got me in just fine.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
From the get go, Dr. DiGirolamo was very warm, honest and straight forward. She spent a lot of time with my husband and I during our initial appointments, answering all of our questions and talking through our miscarriages and test results. For one appointment we had to bring our 3 year old son and she was very accommodating. Infertility makes anyone vulnerable and anxious and I felt comfortable with her from day 1. Unfortunately, during my retrieval (performed by another dr) a blood vessel was nicked and I had internal bleeding in my abdomen. I went to the ER and had to be admitted into the hospital. During this time Dr. D was on vacation so another doctor called to check in on me. When Dr. D returned from vacation she called me right away even though we had an appointment scheduled for a few days later. I never felt like a number and always felt like she saw me as a person.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Take advantage of your time with her. Be honest about your anxieties/questions/history etc.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My husband and I have a three year old son who was conceived very effortlessly. Once we started trying again we had two consecutive miscarriages. To me this was very very confusing. Our trouble wasn't in getting pregnant, but staying pregnant. I went into this with an open mind but also didn't think we would need to do IVF. Dr. D was very straight forward with us and told us IVF was pretty much our only option to ensure a successful pregnancy. It took a little while longer than I expected to get everything started but once we did it was very structured and disciplined. I started with birth control to calm my ovaries, prevent clotting and regulate my cycle. From there we moved onto injectible hormones and I was doing three by the end of it. I know menopur was one but I forget the other two. The shots weren't as bad as I thought and I ended up doing them on my own in my abdomen. After the retrieval I went back on birth control after I got my period and then I started with the estradiol and baby aspirin (adult low dose aspirin) until day 15 when I started the progesterone cream.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were amazing. They were very nice/warm/kind and thorough. They were available to me 24/7 and were always able to answer my questions. As I mentioned I had a complication after my retrieval and a nurse called me pretty much daily to check in afterwards. I have only good things to say about her nursing team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone was wonderful, friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
We are very fortunate and only had to pay for the PGS testing and medication co-payment + dr. visit co pays.
Westborough
Dr. DiGirolamo wanted to put me on birth control to regulate my cycles. I was against that, since I had been on for 18 years. Instead, she put me on an estradiol and prometrium protocol. After 5 months of that, we started IUI cycles...The dosage of Menopur started at a lower dosage to see how I responded to it, and increased as each cycle progressed. After the first two IUIs, she increased my medication dosage for the third and fourth cycles. The fourth cycle finally worked, and we are expecting a little girl later this year.
Whenever I called [IVF New England], I got the answers I needed. The billing took a while at times (more than a month), but not a deal breaker. The only challenge was during my last cycle, they were in the process of moving facilities and my doctor was moving to another location...Many of Dr. DiGirolamo's staff was great. From the nursing team, to ultrasound techs, to her administrative assistant - everyone was great.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. DiGirolamo was straight-forward and honest about our situation and options. She was not overly "warm and fuzzy" - but that was fine with me. She was willing to try a course of treatment with us that the first doctor we saw did not offer. She gave us hope.
She is very patient! She answered all of our questions with patience and kindness. She was honest with us, and I appreciated this so much.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She was straight-forward with our situation and treatment options. She said that while many doctors would not try IUI with us, she wanted to make sure we tried all options before having to make a more significant decision (like using donor eggs). I appreciated her candid nature and honesty.
At first, my FSH was very high, and my cycles were irregular. Dr. DiGirolamo wanted to put me on birth control to regulate my cycles. I was against that, since I had been on for 18 years. Instead, she put me on an estradiol and prometrium protocol. After 5 months of that, we started IUI cycles. We used injectible meds (Menopur), Ovidrel trigger shot, and Crinone gel and estrogen patches post-IUI. The dosage of Menopur started at a lower dosage to see how I responded to it, and increased as each cycle progressed. After the first two IUIs, she increased my medication dosage for the third and fourth cycles. The fourth cycle finally worked, and we are expecting a little girl later this year.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bryna and Roisin)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic overall was good. Whenever I called, I got the answers I needed. The billing took a while at times (more than a month), but not a deal breaker. The only challenge was during my last cycle, they were in the process of moving facilities and my doctor was moving to another location. When my husband went to drop off his sample, he ended up having to wait quite a long time just to drop it off (30+ min). I had to go to Waltham instead of Lexington for my last appointment.
I was very fortunate to have my procedures covered by my employer offered insurance policy. I only had to pay a co-pay to meet with the doctor, and for each IUI procedure. I also had prescription med coverage, so I paid the top tier co-pay for specialty meds.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
n/a - we did IUI, not IVF.
Lexington
Brian Berger is an exceptional physician and an even better person. During our visits, Dr. Berger always presented with confidence in his ability to give us our baby. He explained complicated medical terminology in a way my husband and I never felt overwhelmed by. Although he can run late for his appointments, know that he is giving the same care to all his patients...Dr. Berger always made my husband and I feel like his only patients. He would answer questions I didn't know I had by explaining every aspect of our fertility journey in detail.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is great from the receptionist, to the medical assistant, sonographer, to the physicians...The nursing staff was great and always professional. I always felt they were prompt in returning phone calls, and thorough in their explainations (medication dosage, etc)...With Massachusetts being a state that mandates fertility coverage, we were only responsible for copayment...If you are lucky enough to be able to work with Dr. Berger be prepared for appointments to run behind.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger is the best in his field. He will think outside the box and do everything he can to get you your baby.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I was 32 during my fresh cycle. I stimmed for 12 nights. I took Gonal-F and low dose HcG. Midway through, my dosage of Gonal decreased. The last four nights of stims I was on ganirelex to prevent ovulation. I triggered with Ovidrel. They were able to retrieve 16 eggs, 12 fertilized and 5 made it to day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Allison )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is great from the receptionist, to the medical assistant, sonographer, to the physicians. If you are lucky enough to be able to work with Dr. Berger be prepared for appointments to run behind.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Berger was willing to listen to us in regards to transferring two embryos each time.
2015 - 2017, Successful
After an attempted IUI that was cancelled day of (husband’s sample had no sperm after multiple positive semenalysis) he [Dr. Penzias] looked at us and said “this is what we do. We will be successful and you will have a baby. You deserve a baby.” It just helped let go of so much anxiety and give us the strength to move forward...He was kind and warm and so knowledgeable. We felt comfortable every step of the way. Dr. Penzias really knew what to do each step and with each misstep, knew how to change and divert and redirect our focus to keep us positive. He was truly wonderful and is a clearly intelligent and talented physician.
The retrieval [at Boston IVF] went smoothly and we still have samples left from that. Because we were male based infertility, my body responded to the hormones quickly and well. The egg retrieval process was a little scary for me as I’ve never had surgery previously but the staff was great and comforting. The day or our embryo transfer was smooth as well and we were lucky to have a positive result on our first cycle!
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
I can’t imagine having a better doctor and guide through this process. He was kind and warm and so knowledgeable. We felt comfortable every step of the way. Dr. Penzias really knew what to do each step and with each misstep, knew how to change and divert and redirect our focus to keep us positive. He was truly wonderful and is a clearly intelligent and talented physician.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Trust in him. Trust that he has your goals in mind and is working for them as hard as you are.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
After an attempted IUI that was cancelled day of (husband’s sample had no sperm after multiple positive semenalysis) he looked at us and said “this is what we do. We will be successful and you will have a baby. You deserve a baby.” It just helped let go of so much anxiety and give us the strength to move forward
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We needed full IVF treatment with semen retrieval. The retrieval went smoothly and we still have samples left from that. Because we were male based infertility, my body responded to the hormones quickly and well. The egg retrieval process was a little scary for me as I’ve never had surgery previously but the staff was great and comforting. The day or our embryo transfer was smooth as well and we were lucky to have a positive result on our first cycle!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Sarah was super responsive. We never waited long for answers if we called- even with little things. She was so kind and helpful and we were both glad she was a part of our team!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only weakness we found was a sometimes lack of communication from some of the billing staff. But for the most part, all team members from the greeter to the office staff, nurses, OR care teams, and most of even the billing staff were kind and understanding and lovely to deal with.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Our insurance covered a good portion but we still had to cover a lot on our own.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Our dr suggested only using one embryo on the first cycle. Our health led him to believe it would be successful and we trusted him. Very glad we did!
2015 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Julia Johnson] knew us by name, knew our story and history and knew more about than just our struggle history... is knowledgeable and compassionate. She worked hard to put my partner at ease and she understood my need to know every single detail. She would check in and she made sure we left feeling prepared for what was next...has a comfortable attitude and she is confident in her ability to care for her patients.
Laura Jean [nurse at Boston IVF] will forever be our miracle worker! She got to know me, responded to me based on what she learned about me and was 100% compassionate...They were very clear about doing just one, especially given the quality of the embryos. They were more concerned with the outcome and the resulting pregnancy. They were not about putting in as many as possible just to reach a pregnancy.
How was your experience with Julia Johnson at Boston IVF?
Dr. Johnson is knowledgeable and compassionate. She worked hard to put my partner at ease and she understood my need to know every single detail. She would check in and she made sure we left feeling prepared for what was next.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Julia Johnson at Boston IVF?
Dr. Johnson has a comfortable attitude and she is confident in her ability to care for her patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Julia Johnson at Boston IVF?
She knew us by name, knew our story and history and knew more about than just our struggle history.
Describe the protocols Julia Johnson used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We began with testing. We had reoccurring pregnancy loss and we discovered that we also had male factor issues due to low motility and count. We began with IUI because of insurance and we did 3 unsuccessful cycles. Dr. Johnson was honest with one cycle as we had very few quality sperm to use. She then researched our insurance and suggested that we move to the ICSI IVF cycle. The first cycle I began to show signs of OHSS and the meds prescribed to slow it down ended up killing the eggs. The next cycle my meds were adjusted and we went all the way. We had 3 embryos, did a 5 day transfer and froze 2. Two years later we did a frozen transfer with our second son. We are still paying for the one embryo we have frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Laura Jean )
Laura Jean will forever be our miracle worker! She got to know me, responded to me based on what she learned about me and was 100% compassionate.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It’s clean, well run, organized and comfortable. The staff is caring and you know you can count on them. It’s a comfortable place. My partner said he felt happy about the way they ran it, especially with what was required of him while there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Julia Johnson at Boston IVF.
Co payments for visits
Describe Julia Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
They were very clear about doing just one, especially given the quality of the embryos. They were more concerned with the outcome and the resulting pregnancy. They were not about putting in as many as possible just to reach a pregnancy. I felt this was the right approach because it showed they were confident in their care and knowing what a risk multiple pregnancies are.
Julia Johnson
Worcester
2014 - 2017, Successful
We interviewed 2 doctors prior to Dr. Ryley and both tried to send us to the local LGBT clinic, which had an “education” program that was over a year long. Dr. Ryley took time to listen to us, to affirm our family, and to understand who we were not only as patients but as people...During our time with him he was 100% focus on us, our wellbeing, and our goal...There was only one thing we initially did not like about Dr. Ryley; if you don’t have the first appointment of the day, he is running late.
The parking was terrible [at Boston IVF], and the office was difficult to get to. We did have to travel to another office for our IUIs. The communication between the offices was excellent. Everyone was very respectful of our privacy and did everything possible to put us at ease and make us comfortable...Everyone was very professional but also friendly. We really felt like they were a valuable and caring part of our team.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
There was only one thing we initially did not like about Dr. Ryley; if you don’t have the first appointment of the day, he is running late. As we worked with him we understood that this is because of the time and care he takes with each person. We were never rushed through an appointment, he gave us all the information we needed in a clear and jargon-free manner. Dr. Ryley answered all of our questions completely and was always available if we had more. During our time with him he was 100% focus on us, our wellbeing, and our goal.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He’s worth the wait.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We initially used Clomid to bring on ovulation, but when that did not have the expected results we switched to Letrozole. My wife was still not ovulating normally so we used birth control pills to help “reset” her cycles. It took roughly 8 months to achieve ovulation, and the second cycle we got our first positive. We used the same protocol when we decided to have more children.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The parking was terrible, and the office was difficult to get to. We did have to travel to another office for our IUIs. The communication between the offices was excellent. Everyone was very respectful of our privacy and did everything possible to put us at ease and make us comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
With our first our out of pocket expenses were about $14,000. Insurance covered everything with our second.
Boston
Dr. Luzzo was professional and informative...made it a priority to understand our priorities in terms of how we wanted to approach treatment and meet us where we where we were...did not display too much emotion or caring...I had a high AMH so used relatively lower dose gonadotropin in antagonist protocol. Ultimately was a worse responder than would have been predicted based on AMH, 10 eggs retrieved with 6 mature. Had one fresh transfer which resulted in a singleton live birth. Subsequent frozen embryo transfer failed.
almost always available to talk when I called the clinic [Boston IVF], so was easy to coordinate care with the team despite a busy schedule...IVF and ET are done in Waltham by on-call doctors, but your communication is primarily through with the Providence office which gives the practice a smaller feel while having the benefit of accessing a larger embryology lab...
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Luzzo was professional and informative. She made it a priority to understand our priorities in terms of how we wanted to approach treatment and meet us where we where we were. She did not display too much emotion or caring.
I think she practices evidence based fertility care and works to meet the needs of her patients. She does not seem particularly warm, so may not be the best fit for someone looking for that kind of rapport.
Dr. Luzzo and her nurse were professional and direct. The office the staff in the Providence clinic front desk staff, phlebotomist, ultrasonographer were very warm. They were appropriately familiar when you called and kind during their interactions. As I imagine is common you interact with the office staff much more than the MD and RN so the rapport you establish with them helps you feel like a human. IVF and ET are done in Waltham by on-call doctors, but your communication is primarily through with the Providence office which gives the practice a smaller feel while having the benefit of accessing a larger embryology lab.
Did 3 cycles of ovulation induction with Clomid and 3 IUIs. I think she was appropriate based on my age and history in recommending moving on to IVF without pushing IVF. I had a high AMH so used relatively lower dose gonadotropin in antagonist protocol. Ultimately was a worse responder than would have been predicted based on AMH, 10 eggs retrieved with 6 mature. Had one fresh transfer which resulted in a singleton live birth. Subsequent frozen embryo transfer failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Nursing staff was very responsive and communicative. They were almost always available to talk when I called the clinic, so was easy to coordinate care with the team despite a busy schedule (for me and them) during the day.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic has a smaller, familiar feel in Providence and a larger, busy practice feel in Waltham where IVF related procedures and weekend procedures are performed. I think this dichotomy is a strength because you have a balance between the strengths or a higher volume embryology lab while having a more personal feel at the clinic where you most of your visits take place. The clinic in Providence was also very accommodating to work schedule and ran smoothly and on time. The clinic in Waltham also has an alternative medicine center on site where you can easily coordinate acupuncture around your treatment, which I think is a strength. There were not issues with communication between the clinic in Waltham and Providence during our care.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Convenient scheduling. Clinic ran on time. I also made sure I was there first everyday I had monitoring, so that might have helped.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Insurance coverage for fertility related procedures in Massachusetts ! Costs in total less than $300 during treatment. Paid ~ $150 / month in storage fees starting a year after retrieval.
We did not discuss in detail transferring multiple embryos. It was assumed that we would proceed with SET which was appropriate in our case.
Providence

If you decide to go through treatment with her [Dr Kerri Luzzo], you are making a great decision!...She is very intelligent and kind. She took time to evaluate our situation at our consultation, ordered the appropriate tests, and then spent time going over our results with us. She took into account our concerns and preferences and planned our protocols accordingly. I was able to schedule appointments with her that were not too far in the future. She is always pleasant and I truly look forward to all of our appointments with her!
The clinic [IVF New England in Lexington] overall is very organized and efficient. This allows them to see the number of patients they need to see each day. They do bloodwork and ultrasounds in the mornings, and call with results and instructions in the afternoon. The ultrasound/sonographer is the best of the best....On several occasions, she [Dr Kerri Luzzo] called us herself to deliver news. Each time I called the office, I was able to speak to my nurse or leave a message and receive a call back in a short time.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
If you decide to go through treatment with her, you are making a great decision!
On several occasions, she called us herself to deliver news. Each time I called the office, I was able to speak to my nurse or leave a message and receive a call back in a short time.
Our original diagnosis was unexplained infertility, with a suspicion of ovulation dysfunction, and no male factor issues. So we tried two IUI cycles with Clomid, the first with 50mg and the second with 100mg. Both times, I produced a good sized follicle and my husbands number were excellent. But neither led to a pregnancy. We completed an IVF cycle using an antagonist protocol. After approximately 3 weeks of birth control, we began injections with 100 units of Follistim and 75 units of Menopur to help me produce many follicles. Over time, the Follistim dosage was reduced as I was responding well, and Cetrotide (the antagonist) was added to prevent premature ovulation, prior to the scheduled retrieval. I used a Lupron trigger, because based on the number of follicles I had developed, I was at risk for Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome which can cause issues if an HCG trigger is used. The doctor retrieved 21 eggs, 17 fertilized, and we ended up with 15 embryos to freeze. We had to freeze them all due to the OHSS risk.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
She is very knowledgable and has been working in this field for a long time. She was always able to answer my questions herself, or she checked with the doctor and provided a response in a timely fashion. Each day when I was monitored, she thoroughly explained my results and provided clear instructions for nexts steps. I felt as though I could all with questions anytime.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic overall is very organized and efficient. This allows them to see the number of patients they need to see each day. They do bloodwork and ultrasounds in the mornings, and call with results and instructions in the afternoon. The ultrasound/sonographer is the best of the best. And the phlebotomists are skilled and friendly. All of the clerical staff is very friendly and helpful on the phone as well.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
There were often many women in the waiting room at the same time because the monitoring window was relatively short. However, the staff members were always very courteous and took the necessary time with each patient. I never felt rushed or like my tme was being wasted.
Lexington

We have met with Dr Thornton 3x over 7 months...She had the uncomfortable job of delivering life changing, devastating news - that couldn't have been easy. I was 28 and my blood work showed Premature Ovarian "Insufficiency" (Failure). She was clear that the odds of us conceiving naturally were about 5% if I was ovulating, which I was not. She's a straight shooter and I respect that about her. She didn't sugarcoat anything just to make us feel better and didn't create any sense of false hope. She was direct. There was no hand-holding. I felt that she had put the best plan together for my specific situation, and trusted her medical expertise.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
We have met with Dr Thornton 3x over 7 months. The initial consult was Dec 23, 2 days before Christmas, in the Worcester office. She had the uncomfortable job of delivering life changing, devastating news - that couldn't have been easy. I was 28 and my blood work showed Premature Ovarian "Insufficiency" (Failure). She was clear that the odds of us conceiving naturally were about 5% if I was ovulating, which I was not. She's a straight shooter and I respect that about her. She didn't sugarcoat anything just to make us feel better and didn't create any sense of false hope. She was direct. There was no hand-holding. I felt that she had put the best plan together for my specific situation, and trusted her medical expertise. Dr. Thornton felt that we needed to be aggressive and move straight to IVF. Anything less than that would be a waste of time. I appreciated that she felt the same urgency. We started the full panel of diagnostic testing 5 days later to rule out genetic disorder and prep for IVF. The 2nd time we met was in February at the Worcester office after all the diagnostic testing. The plan was to proceed with IVF knowing that we won’t get many eggs, but hoping that they will be excellent quality due to my age. The 3rd time we met was in April at the Waltham office after IVF Cycle 1 was cancelled during day 7 of stimulations, over a holiday long-weekend. My body sort-of responded, but nowhere near the anticipated response given near-normal AMH and Follicle count of 8 in January. The blood work/AFC counts didn’t line up with the results. She was clear that IVF only works when you have follicles that respond to stimulation. If you don’t have follicles to stimulate, IVF can’t help make eggs that aren’t there. We decided to do an estrogen-priming cycle, change the ratio of meds, and push the dosage to 600iu. We also decided to do a mock cycle to prep the paperwork for Donor Eggs and attend the Donor Egg seminar at BIVF in case IVF Cycle 2 didn't work.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Make the commitment and go to the Waltham office for the best care. All of the ultrasounds are recorded on video and it allows the doctors to see what the ultrasound tech sees in real time, significantly better than printed out screen-grabs, or handwritten data. Also be aware that if the odds of IVF working is 25%, that means that 75% of the IVF cycles are failing. Yes, IVF gives you a chance that you may not have otherwise had, but it's not a magic bullet and it doesn't fix everything. Keep your own log of everything - it will help you advocate for yourself. Write down notes, dates and times of appointments, names of the nurses, what the results were for all of the tests. Keep track of invoices and health insurance coverage - otherwise you may get stuck with the bill.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Cycle 1 at BIVF Worcester was a mess. The short version is that cycle 1 was cancelled due to poor response on stimulation day 7 on a Saturday, over a long holiday weekend, by nurse Tanya who seemed to have no idea what was going on. When we finally had the post-cycle consult, found out that Dr. Thornton did NOT cancel my cycle; she was on vacation. The on-call Dr. cancelled it. She said she would have made the same decision. As a patient under her care during the most critical time in an IVF cycle, we should have been alerted that she was going on vacation and been given the contact info of the on-call Doctor, all of which we told her. For Cycle 2 we made the decision to move all appointments to BIVF Waltham, and it was a completely different experience. It was well run, the nurses, ultrasound and blood techs were all great. We worked mainly with Kathy, Dr. Thornton's nurse in Waltham, and she was fantastic! Kathy was responsive, personable, and cared about us. She was also able to get in touch with Dr. Thornton when we needed her to, which was huge.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Birth Control Pill for 2 months while waiting for insurance approval. CoQ10 to help improve egg quality. Levothyroxine for thyroid (within normal range but higher than ideal for pregnancy). Continued prenatal vitamins. IVF Cycle 1: 450iu total does of stimulations. 300iu Gonal F Redijet Pen, 150 Menopur daily injections. Stimulation day 5, blood and ultrasound. AFC: 2 - 4 in left and right ovary. Estrogen 33. Nurse warned that cycle may be cancelled if estrogen didn't increase, but that it we had a chance. Stimulation day 7, blood and ultrasound. AFC: 2 - 4 in left and right ovary, 1 10mm follicle in left. Estrogen 80. Tanya (nurse) called - cycle cancelled. Mock Cycle to prep for Donor Egg in case IVF Cycle 2 doesn't work. Estrogen Patch, 2mg Estrace pill 2x daily for 3 weeks, then ultrasound/blood work to check AFC, uterus lining (8mm needed for Donor Egg cycle). Then Prometrium 200mg for 7 days to induce period. IVF Cycle 2: 600iu total dose of stimulations. Menopur 450 iu, Gonal F 150iu daily injections for 14 days Stimulation day 6, blood and ultrasound: AFC: 2 to 4 in left and right ovary. Estrogen 17.95. Instructed to continue injections, next appointment in 3 days. Stimulation day 9, blood and ultrasound: Left AFC: 2 to 4, Left Follicle: 11.7mm, Right AFC: One, Right Follicle: 10.14mm. Estrogen 183. Instructed to continue injections, next appointment in 2 days. Stimulation day 11, blood and ultrasound, Left AFC: 2 to 4, Left Follicle: 10.5mm Right AFC: One, Right Follicles: 15.47mm,14.24mm. Estrogen 370. Instructed to keep taking 450 menopur, 150 gonal F, add cetrotide 25mg to suppress ovulation. Next appointment in 2 days. Stimulation day 13, blood and ultrasound, Left AFC: 2 to 4, Left Follicle: 11.35mm Right AFC: 2 to 4, Right Follicles: 18.55mm,17.48mm. Estrogen 610. Instructed 450 Menopur, 150 Gonal F, and 25 of Cetrotide tonight. OR Nurse will call on Friday with instructions on when to inject Ovidrel (trigger) and schedule retrieval on Sunday! Stimulation day 14, Ovidrel 250mcg at 9:30pm Egg retrieval @ BIVF Waltham 36 hours later. Retrieved 2 eggs, 1 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of "textbook perfect, High Implantation Potential, 7-cell embryo". Begin crinone 8% daily until beta test. Period starts 1 day before beta test, instructed to continue crinone and come in for blood pregnancy test anyways. HCG 0.343 mIU/ml, negative. Follow up appointment scheduled in 12 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kathy )
Kathy was amazing. She was kind and on-top of all the details. During my mock cycle I had a very bad reaction to the estrogen (severe hot flash, extreme dizziness, nauseous) while I was traveling for work, and I was able to reach her via email through out the entire weekend. For the first time, somebody actually checked in on me to see how I was feeling or what the side effects were, and if I was OK to continue. It went a long way with me because she treated me like a person. And on top of that, she was able to coordinate a call with Dr. Thornton when I got home so that I could speak to her directly, which was very reassuring.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF Waltham is the best of the best. They have the best medical team, the best surgeons, the best nurses, embryologists, anesthesiologists, and the most experience. My best experience was with the egg retrieval and the embryo transfer. Dr. Riley did both the retrieval and the transfer, and he was amazing. His staff was also amazing - so kind and gentle, very reassuring that they would do everything in their power to help us make a baby, and I trust that they did. We were in very good hands. Boston IVF literally has video cameras in the embryology lab to watch each embryo so they don't have to disrupt them by handling the petri-dishes - that's amazing. They also gave us a photo of our 7-cell embryo, and did a mock transfer before the real transfer. We were able to watch the transfer on the ultrasound - the entire experience was incredible. They can't guarantee you that it will work, and in our case it didn't work, but know that it's the best team, with the best technology, and the most experience, and they are doing everything in their power to help you have a baby.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
over $50,000 for all diagnostic testing, cycle monitoring, medicine.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The errors happened at Boston IVF Worcester. Tanya was the nurse, and to be frank, she was terrible. I should mention that this was our 1st cycle, and we had no idea about anything IVF. We signed the contracts with Tanya on 4/1 and she confirmed that our prescriptions were "ordered and ready to go" and were instructed to call when I got my period. We assumed that the prescriptions were available and that we would pick them up as soon as my period started for CD 1, and stimulation would start CD3. When we called on CD 1 six days later, she asked if we had our prescriptions yet, which should have been a red flag, because she was the one that told us to wait and call her, which we did. Turns out that she sent our fertility prescription to a specialty clinic that wasn't covered by my insurance, and when I called her to tell her that they were denying me, she kept re-sending it to the same clinic, and telling me that it should be all set for the next day. On CD 2, I called the fertility clinic first thing (because the clock is ticking here! Supposed to start injections in 1 day!!! Talk about stressed) and they tell me that its never going to go through, and to call my health insurance. Call the health insurance and they also say that it's not covered at that pharmacy, and to have BIVF submit it to a different pharmacy that is covered. Call back Tanya and explain the whole thing and then it FINALLY goes through and we have to rush-ship it. The prescription finally arrives mid-morning cycle day 3. It was a terrible experience. It's the primary reason that we switched to the Waltham clinic. The receptionist in Worcester had no idea what was going on. The bloodwork in Worcester was a nightmare. They didn't open till 7am and by then there was a line of 8 - 10 women that were also cycling. Once I had to wait 1 hour to get my blood drawn. There was a different person working there every single time which made me think they had trouble staffing it.
Kim L. Thornton
Boston

Dr Pauli was incredibly sweet and helpful. He always broke down our plans in the most simple way possible to avoid unnecessary stress for us. He answered all questions to the best of his ability and would often give us a few different options to make sure we were making the right choices for us. He was in touch regarding each procedure and what to expect next.
The front desk [at IVF New England] needs some work! They are often dismissive. The ladies who take blood are great! You see them more than anyone else. It's rare to have to wait. The women who prefer the internal ultrasounds are great too and give as much information as they are able to. [The nurses] were patient, excellent about calling back and extremely helpful with getting us sample meds when they realized we were paying out of pocket.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He's amazing. He is working for YOU and honestly wants to help you achieve what you want. He's patient, easy to talk to and genuinely interested in your personal story.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He's so sensitive and happy to answer all questions. He also made personal phone calls to us when we had a miscarriage and other difficulties
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We tried very painful (for me) iui's and when we started to run out of donor sperm doctor Pauli suggested IVF. My wife carried our first child using the donor and we really wanted them to be biological siblings. I started ivf - birth control for a couple weeks, then injections (up to three a day) and then egg retrieval. He retrieved 12 eggs, 9 were excellent and we used 4 total trying. Our first ivf ended in a negative test, the next we used two eggs and got a positive, but had a miscarriage at 7.5 weeks and now I am 8 months pregnant with the fourth egg -- our son.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Loreen )
They were patient, excellent about calling back and extremely helpful with getting us sample meds when they realized we were paying out of pocket.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The front desk needs some work! They are often dismissive. The ladies who take blood are great! You see them more than anyone else. It's rare to have to wait. The women who prefer the internal ultrasounds are great too and give as much information as they are able to.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
I can't even talk about it. We paid so much because we are military and they don't cover fertility treatments. It's still a sore subject
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Just some lost paperwork and some confusion between my wife and I (often they had her paperwork from precious pregnant and not mine or vice versa).

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
After miscarriage w/ frozen embryos Dr. Pang highly recommended using PGS for all subsequent fresh autologous IVF cycles to prevent another miscarriage resulting from abnormal karyotype which was not something that we had considered. He altered treatment plans for IVF stimulation to maximize # of eggs retrieved rather than just trying the same thing over & over. He also recommended supplements to help improve my response to stimulation & maximize what ovarian reserve I had.
[IVF New England staff were] careful to ensure no mistakes w/ lab samples or signed paperwork (need to show photo id for all blood draws, ERs, ETs, sperm collection & details of photo id are recorded on all consents (license #, expiration date, state of license for both partners). Friendly & knowledgeable staff especially all clinical people. Greeted with a smile by almost everyone for almost every encounter. Have counseling free of charge & mandate counseling for donor egg cycles which really helped my husband & I to have the conversations to decide on proceeding with donor egg. The PACU staff sincerely offered sympathies before & after my D&C. They took the time to acknowledge my loss rather than just treat it as any other procedure.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pang was thorough w/ explanations especially of risks of treatment & success rates of treatment/chance of multiple pregnancy w/ DE transfer of more than one embryo. He was sincere when calling to report PGS results (all embryos for all cycles were abnormal) & called as soon as he had the report (by 7 am). He made the schedule for ERs & ETs so that he could do most of the procedures himself (did all ETs & 1/4 of ERs)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
He is not an overly warm/fuzzy type however still sincere & offered genuine sympathy w/ miscarriage & abnormal PGS results. He is extremely knowledgeable of statistics, lab tests, PGS & donor egg.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pang called me with PGS results every cycle. Also called me w/ karyotype results from miscarriage D&C. Also called to offer congratulations after successful DE cycle ultrasound
Describe the protocols Samuel Pang used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Paula Dwan, NP)
Extremely detail oriented, organized, knowledgeable, & compassionate. Provided easy to read written treatment plans & stimulation with dates for every cycle. Spoke slowly & clearly when leaving msgs w/ results & instructions including all results (lab levels, etc) & repeated the msg twice & even added humor on most interactions. Personally scheduled herself to review all OB ultrasound results & even was present during the ultrasound scans
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clean facility with updated furniture, good lighting & recently renovated. State of the art embryology lab. Careful to ensure no mistakes w/ lab samples or signed paperwork (need to show photo id for all blood draws, ERs, ETs, sperm collection & details of photo id are recorded on all consents (license #, expiration date, state of license for both partners). Friendly & knowledgeable staff especially all clinical people. Greeted with a smile by almost everyone for almost every encounter. Have counseling free of charge & mandate counseling for donor egg cycles which really helped my husband & I to have the conversations to decide on proceeding with donor egg. The PACU staff sincerely offered sympathies before & after my D&C. They took the time to acknowledge my loss rather than just treat it as any other procedure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pang at Boston IVF.
$2,200 per PGS cycle x 4 cycles $18,500 for donor egg cycle Aprox $100 per cycle total co pays for rx - had excellent rx insurance coverage (per the pharmacy receipts my meds cost the insurance co aprox $15k per cycle for autologous cycles) Very fortunate to have harvard pilgrim insurance that covered IVF cycles w/ $5 co pay per cycle $85 per month storage fee for frozen embryos

2012 - 2016, Successful
He [Samuel Pauli] was willing to entertain my out of the box suggestions but I found his own approach very cut and dry. Admittedly I was not always right and when we did finally successfully conceive it was on a cycle that was very close to his original treatment plan. I liked that he was open to new research and always explained risks and benefits of what to try and if statistically it could make a difference. Personality wise he's very serious and my husband always joked that my humor was lost on him. He did always listen and considered our best interest and was encouraging that even with l we had been through that he was confident we would figure out something that would work and he was right.
Their practice [at IVF new England] is more patient focused but at times I felt like they wanted to use a cookie cutter approach instead of customizing a cycle for my needs. A lot of the 'out of the box' treatment we pursued was at my research and suggestion. However, Dr Pauli was always open to listening without judgment and while some things worked and some did not he was willing to try new things.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Much of what I wrote previously, he was willing to entertain my out of the box suggestions but I found his own approach very cut and dry. Admittedly I was not always right and when we did finally successfully conceive it was on a cycle that was very close to his original treatment plan. I liked that he was open to new research and always explained risks and benefits of what to try and if statistically it could make a difference. Personality wise he's very serious and my husband always joked that my humor was lost on him. He did always listen and considered our best interest and was encouraging that even with l we had been through that he was confident we would figure out something that would work and he was right.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and make suggestions if there's something you've read or something a friend has used that he hasn't recommended. He's very patient and informed and willing to work with his patients.
Their practice is more patient focused but at times I felt like they wanted to use a cookie cutter approach instead of customizing a cycle for my needs. A lot of the 'out of the box' treatment we pursued was at my research and suggestion. However, Dr Pauli was always open to listening without judgment and while some things worked and some did not he was willing to try new things.
I can't remember specific names but my first cycle was just gonal f with trigger and fresh transfer. 12 eggs, 6 mature, 5 fertilized, 1SET, 2 frozen. Miscarried at 10 weeks. My second was a natural cycle frozen transfer of 2 embryos. Miscarried a singleton pregnancy at 7 weeks. My second retrieval we extended retrieval after trigger from 36 hours to 40 hours as my first cycle only half of the eggs were mature. We also added menopur & dexamethasone. 16 eggs retrieved , 13 mature, 12 fertilized. Fresh day 5 SET followed by chemical pregnancy. Next natural cycle FET of 2 embryos, negative result. Next natural cycle FET of 1 embryo, chemical pregnancy. Third retrieval we used a cycle I found from some doctor in NYC and although Dr Pauli didn't agree he let me try it and it was disastrous. It was heavy on menopur but I can't remember the other details. It took a long time to mature any eggs and at by retrieval i had 6 follicles but only 3 eggs and 2 was mature. Both fertilized and we did a day 2 transfer, negative result. After that we took a few months off. Our last retrieval we decided to do Human growth hormone injections and PGD testing. The cycle otherwise was similar to my second with gonal f (200) menopur (75), dexamethasone and HGH. He did an extended time between trigger and retrieval again. We ended up freezing all due to progesterone rise before retrieval and subsequent OHSS. Although i had only 13 follicles they were much better quality and 12 were mature eggs and all 12 fertilized. 7 were sent for PGD testing as 5 day embryos. 6 were genetically normal. A month later we did a natural FET of 2 embryos (an elective SET was strongly recommended but we decided to transfer 2 anyway). We had twin girls from that transfer, born healthy at 38w3. 17 months later we did another natural FET of one embryo. We did find out the gender prior to FET and are expecting a boy in 5 months.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole, Becky)
They answered calls or responded to messages promptly and were considerate to my work schedule at the time. They were willing to answer questions and always caring and patient.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Flexible and considerate with scheduling, prompt in answering messages, interested in your own outcome and not just statistics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
My insurance fortunately covered almost everything but copays.
Lexington

Dr Penzias really spent time talking about my unique situation (unicornuate uterus) and reassured me that pregnancy was achievable with my own eggs. He appreciated my need to have as much information as possible and never made me feel as if I was being stupid or asking too many questions. In fact he told me to always call if I had any questions. He said that something that could keep me awake for days could be answered in two minutes so to always call. After consults with him I sometimes thought of another question and he would always pick up, tell me it was a good question and answer it thoughtfully. He's a nice man, very factual but with a good bedside manner and a reassuring smile!
I wasn't called back after a follicle monitoring appointment. It was my PGD cycle and I knew that my protocol was unlikely to change and that I was in a bad cell phone signal area. That said nobody left a message and when I finally got hold of the out of hours Doctor they were very apologetic. Turns out my phone wasn't taking messages. They do however have my email address and were never slow to send me billing emails so I was annoyed by this.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Penzias was a great RE. I feel he had a lot of experience and was still ready to try new approaches. He did an ERA for me when nobody had really heard of it. In fact my sample was sent to Spain for analysis! He did the killer cells test at my request even though at that point I had not had a miscarriage. He asked my opinion on whether I would prefer a controlled or natural cycle transfer and then discussed why he thought my choice was the one he would have recommended. I felt as in control as you can in an out of control process! He didn't do all of my transfers or retrievals but controlled all of my cycles.
Ask questions. He has a factual rapid fire way of giving facts. Don't be scared to ask him to repeat or elaborate. Take notes if you need to!
I did estrogen priming followed by menopur and follistim (aka gonal f) I did Ivf 3 times and each time my doses were increased as my age also increased. My final and successful cycle I was taking 525 follistim which is very high but it did the trick. As follicles reached their size I took cetrotide to stop ovulation followed by Ovidrel. My protocol did not change but my doses always did. I always got more than 8 eggs and many made it to day 5 each time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Tanner)
I felt Sarah Tanner was a wonderful nurse. She was compassionate when delivering bad news and kind. When she had good news I could hear the excitement in her tone. She was excellent at returning calls promptly. I had a different nurse for my PGD and she was awful. Terrible at returning calls, I had to call Sarah Tanner frequently to get info. Once she failed to call me back to tell me if my protocol had changed. I had to call out of hours to get the information.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston Ivf is a well oiled machine. You may feel like cattle but for me I liked that this is all they do. I love that they have satellite offices so I didn't always have to drive to Waltham. The PGD nurse I had wasn't good at calling back and nor was she compassionate. Find out the name of the nurse who works for your RE and call him/her if you're not getting answers from the PGD Coordinator. I didn't love the financial department either. Check your bills. They seemed to have some glitches there.
Around 10,00 for a round of Ivf plus meds. About $300 for FET
I had to do eSET because I only have half a uterus so multiples can be high risk. When I had multiple negative tests we became more brave and transferred 2, then 3 embryos. When I did PGD testing and had a viable embryo we only transferred one

2013 - 2016, Successful
We love Dr. Ryley and we're completely satisfied with our experience with him. He was always honest with what we should expect and clear with what the course of action would be. We always felt that we were in excellent hands...Dr. Ryley was very supportive and encouraging and very accepting of us being a gay couple. Dr. Ryley's language and approach was always professional and understanding and tailored to our specific situation and needs.
The billing dept [at Boston IVF] was very helpful in arranging all of the details for insurance and other than co pays and deductibles, everything was covered...We love Boston IVF- every office (Quincy, Waltham and Brookline) that we used was great. We like that they have a policy of not encouraging children to be in the clinic- it is helpful to not be reminded of what you don't have and desperately want every time you go to the doctor. Also, having the Domar center in Waltham was excellent. I took advantage of the acupuncture for every insemination and transfer.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Trust him and Boston IVF - Stay the course, though it might take a while, and if it is possible for you to get pregnant, Dr. Ryley will do everything he can to make it happen.
I don't remember all the specifics. We had tried ICIs by ourselves and IUIs with a family friend who is an OB/GYN and they didn't produce a live birth. We went to Dr. Ryley after I had a miscarriage. He suggested many tests to make sure everything was working properly, which we appreciated because we wouldn't want to go through more cycles if something was wrong. We then did a few more rounds of IUIs with drugs but they didn't work. Then Dr. RYley suggested IVF- and explained the procedure very clearly. Though it was overwhelming, Dr. Ryley and all of his nurses and staff were very helpful in explaining everything every step of the way. We did the course of drugs for the egg retrieval, got 20 eggs, 4 of which fertilized. One didn't survive, we transferred one and it didn't work, the second one worked, and produced a healthy baby boy. We froze the 4th one for two years and just transferred it 9 months ago and Just gave birth to another baby boy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Thy were all very helpful and knowledgeable and available at any hour of the night to take phone calls and answer any questions we had.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
The billing dept was very helpful in arranging all of the details for insurance and other than co pays and deductibles, everything was covered.
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We didn't want to produce multiple births so we only transferred one at a time. It was more of our decision and Dr. Ryley supported it.
Brookline

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
We were informed by Dr. Zimon that our chances would not improve if we were to transfer more than one egg. We were better off freezing the left overs to do frozen cycles...She had great ‘bed side manner.’...Dr. Zimon has NEVER mentioned she thought we had an egg issue. We had gone through SIX of our insurance covered IVF rounds at this point without knowing about this supposed egg issue.
The nurses team [at Boston IVF] is their biggest strength in my opinion! Not being able to call the clinic if you are stuck in traffic and going to be late for your 7am transfer because it is only a call service is a downfall...Not being informed I had an egg quality issue was a big issue. However, I feel that is solely on Dr. Zimon...All was covered under our insurance except for acupuncture that was suggested.
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
We felt very comfortable with Dr. Zimon. We thought she was the best choice for our fertility needs! Until she quit the practice without notice one day before our sixth round of IVF started. We went with the flow and wished the best for her. Clearly she found greener pastures and we were happy for her. We were disappointed in not being informed by her and given a course of action for our next steps, but again trying to keep positive thoughts... After our sixth round failed, the doctor who we got swapped to told us they understood now why are. Zimon has told us we had an egg issue. However, Dr. Zimon has NEVER mentioned she thought we had an egg issue. We had gone through SIX of our insurance covered IVF rounds at this point without knowing about this supposed egg issue. Unfortunately, we did not walk away with a child and if we had known we had an egg issue, maybe we would have made a few different choices. Was Dr. Zimon great and nice? Absolutely!! But we trusted her to tell us everything to make sure we walked away with a baby. That did not happen and now we question absolutely everything that is said to us and unfortunately have no more covered treatments and are forced to pay completely out of pocket if we wish to go forward with egg donation. Which wells never even a thought since we had no idea it should be.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Ask questions and for second opinions!!!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
She had great ‘bed side manner.’ We felt very comfortable with her and the way she spoke with us. We always felt like she was telling us what was in our best interests and what would be the best results for a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
AMAZING!! The nurses at Boston IVF were the reason we continued with the clinic after Dr. Zimon left. There were the reason we drove, sometimes, over two hours for testing. They make Boston IVF!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The nurses team is their biggest strength in my opinion! Not being able to call the clinic if you are stuck in traffic and going to be late for your 7am transfer because it is only a call service is a downfall.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
All was covered under our insurance except for acupuncture that was suggested.
Describe Alison Zimon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Alison Zimon
Waltham

It was unknown why we couldn’t conceive after blood tests and semen analyses, but he [Dr. Brian Berger] suggested continuing with IVF to see if it would work...We only saw him a few times and mostly met with others, but they were all very nice...He was wonderful to speak with and was helpful in answering all of our questions and concerns... We were a little confused later on once we were pregnant that we were always in visiting with another female doctor Who ended up giving us misinformation about a possible miscarriage .
doctor [at Boston IVF] informed us at our 10 week ultrasound we would be having a miscarriage in the coming days, with an explanation of why. She also advised that we cancel our meet and greet scheduled at our chosen hospital for delivery, since it might be too emotional with the impending miscarriage. At our 11 week ultrasound all was well and she reacted as if the news the previous week had not completely shattered our spirits. We quickly scheduled an appointment for the next week with our chosen hospital for a second opinion (our own comfort and a recommendation by her). Their own ultrasound showed what BIVF had seen; however, they emphasized that it did not indicate a miscarriage and would have never caused a patient concern over what they saw.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He was wonderful to speak with and was helpful in answering all of our questions and concerns. We were a little confused later on once we were pregnant that we were always in visiting with another female doctor Who ended up giving us misinformation about a possible miscarriage .
Trust him because they know what they are doing
It was unknown why we couldn’t conceive after blood tests and semen analyses, but he suggested continuing with IVF to see if it would work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Caring and helpful
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I wish we had a better idea of what our first visit would look like and that there was more communication as to why our first meeting was almost two hours after our scheduled appointment time. We saw people going in and out consistently (ultrasounds and blood test patients) not understanding why we weren’t going in and they were. When finally called in we were made aware of a medical emergency requiring his attention which delayed our appointment. I would’ve appreciated more communication from staff making us aware of the functions of the office rather than letting us sit, crying, nervous and unsure of our decision to be there.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Living on Cape Cod my option was to have blood draws at one location and ultrasounds at another, between 8-9am, first come first serve. There was often two or fewer ahead of me. This location was a half hour from my house and 45 minutes from my work in Truro. Weekends my only option was a two hour drive to Waltham.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered most expenses
We weren’t given an option; however, we would not have chosen a multiple transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Another doctor informed us at our 10 week ultrasound we would be having a miscarriage in the coming days, with an explanation of why. She also advised that we cancel our meet and greet scheduled at our chosen hospital for delivery, since it might be too emotional with the impending miscarriage. At our 11 week ultrasound all was well and she reacted as if the news the previous week had not completely shattered our spirits. We quickly scheduled an appointment for the next week with our chosen hospital for a second opinion (our own comfort and a recommendation by her). Their own ultrasound showed what BIVF had seen; however, they emphasized that it did not indicate a miscarriage and would have never caused a patient concern over what they saw. Additionally, we found that our OB did not receive all of our paperwork after some requests.
South Shore
[Dr. David Ryley was] Very accessible and sympathetic, always expressing concern for success and well-being, open to my own thoughts and concerns, always took a lot of time to address and answer all my questions...He is very open and doesn't judge; he always answered all our questions carefully and was sympathetic to difficult / negative feelings and offered a positive outlook; he was available by phone even in the evening; he always tried to explain treatments so we would understand and used visual aids
Strengths [at Boston IVF] : clinic is very integrated and all processes are well established; billing is transparent; patient is educated and informed ahead of procedures; clinic works through several locations 7d/week Weaknesses: communication with staff can be tedious due to practice of having to leave messages and waiting for call back; this was especially difficult for egg donor who was employed and couldn't talk freely at her work place easily
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Don't automatically assume every woman over 40 years is "defective"; check if she could do a natural (unmedicated) transfer before administering typical protocols with hormones
Several strategies with bcp and different dosages of Bravelle plus Menopur, Gonal-F and Lupron as well as Ganirelix. Treatment of thin lining with various estrogen formulations (patches, tablets). Cycle leading to pregnancy was unmedicated with progesterone support after transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi Atherton)
Everyone was competent and tried to be supportive and helpful; some have more compassion and a warmer approach to patients than others
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: clinic is very integrated and all processes are well established; billing is transparent; patient is educated and informed ahead of procedures; clinic works through several locations 7d/week Weaknesses: communication with staff can be tedious due to practice of having to leave messages and waiting for call back; this was especially difficult for egg donor who was employed and couldn't talk freely at her work place easily
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Drugs were typically filled by specialty pharmacies and I didn't shop around: costs ran from 50-1000$ per cycle. Fees and procedures per OE and DE ran approx. 10-30,000$, but I had insurance coverage.
OE transfer was with multiple embryos; DE transfer with 2 frozen embryos per cycle. Future DE transfers will only be single embryo transfers.

2015, Successful
Dr.Ryley along with the staff there were very informative, answered all my questions, responded back to my numerous phone calls and reassured me with any doubts and worries along the way... Boston IVF in general was such a great experience with great staff overall.
[My Boston IVF nurse] must have been so busy so she never really picked up the phone but always called me back. If she was tied up for the day, she usually had another nurse call me back to answer my questions
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr Ryley is very friendly, informative and mostly, he listened to what my concerns seriously. I ended up putting 2 embryos back and was pregnant with twins at first but miscarried one of them at 9 weeks of pregnancy. When we were putting the embryos back in, he has explained to me that one of the embryos were much stronger than the other so it made sense that the weaker one just didn't make it and it wasn't meant to be. I was recommended to put 2 back in instead of just one for the likelihood of me getting pregnant doubles by doing so. And it was right, I sure am pregnant now with a singleton baby(third trimester now). One negative thing that I have experienced is the fact that I have suffered from Hyperactive Ovary Syndrome in the beginning of my pregnancy. I am a small person and have accumulated water in my lungs as well because of it. I called in to let Dr Ryley know right away and he told me to go to an ER right away. That's how I found out that I am actually pregnant (this was a very early stage)! Dr Ryley and his staff scheduled me an emergency quick surgery to drain the fluid out of my uterus (under the influence of anesthesia of course). The fluid in my lugs ended up draining on its own so I didn't need a surgery. It was a bit of a scare in the beginning but I command Dr. Ryley and his staff for their quick remedy and actions so that my symptoms won't be worse. Hyperactive Ovary syndrome is usually prevented by having the doctor watch your vital stats weekly(which was normal for me weekly) but my symptom actually occurred towards the end with a pregnancy with twins, it may have something to do with it. Either way, I'm happy that I am pregnant in the end with a good doctor who had watched over me with great care. Boston IVF in general was such a great experience with great staff overall. I definitely will recommend this doctor and it's facility.
Ask as many questions as possible, tell him about your concerns(how many embryos to put back in to maximize the chance of pregnancy versus likelihood of having twins, etc).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
She must have been so busy so she never really picked up the phone but always called me back. If she was tied up for the day, she usually had another nurse call me back to answer my questions

2012 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Zimon was knowledgeable, caring and matter of fact. When our results for trying for our second child were not optimal and not expected - she completely adjusted plans and worked with us to determine the level of aggression we wished to pursue. Very satisfied with out results.
We had several "lost appointments" [at Boston IVF]- one of which was a power outage so, not their fault. Another just didn't make it to the schedule. For one of our IVF cycle drugs - they ordered a quantity of 1 instead of 14. This involved a lot of work on my end to correct. Calling the pharmacy, reading over the paper work, calling the clinic, calling the pharmacy again to ensure they got it - setting up additional shipments...)
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Be honest with yourself and Dr. Zimon about how you tolerate pain, and know what your expectations are. (I know - it is to have a baby!) But how aggressive do you want to be? Understand your financial ramifications as well. We only could do one full cycle of IVF and knowing that - we chose the upper level of medical interventions rather than starting out at lower doses.
Dr. Zimon took the time to get to know us as people and to really understand our treatment expectations. She adjusted plans and manner accordingly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
I think they could be a little more organized. A couple of appointments were "lost" which just added unnecessary stress to the process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The best part is the appointments before work hours. Not having to take time off for all of the routine monitoring is amazing. And South Shore has the best phlebotomist. Seriously - she is amazing. The major weakness for us was a sometimes lack of organization and that semen analysis and collection is only done in Waltham - and only in the early morning. Trying to produce a sample and then get it there in 90 minutes through the crazy traffic was a hardship.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered the majority of or IUI cycles for our first child - copay was around 400 for Dr. Zimon and maybe 300 for the drugs? For our IVF cycle we maxed out our drug benefit after the initial cycle and had to pay out of pocket for all drugs to sustain the pregnancy. I would say Dr. Zimon's co-pay was around 400-500; and the out of pockets cost on drugs was easily over 2000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
We had several "lost appointments" - one of which was a power outage so, not their fault. Another just didn't make it to the schedule. For one of our IVF cycle drugs - they ordered a quantity of 1 instead of 14. This involved a lot of work on my end to correct. Calling the pharmacy, reading over the paper work, calling the clinic, calling the pharmacy again to ensure they got it - setting up additional shipments...)
Alison Zimon

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Pauli has great bedside manners. He truly listens and cares about the patients that he is trying to help. If it's a viable solution, he will help you try it. In my case I was diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility" and had 3 failed IVF cycles before seeking help from Dr. Pauli. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely have gone to him first!..If you have done some research on your situation and believe it will help, please share with him. This will help him help you.
My first doctor (Dr. G) was a bit hard to reach during my first IVF cycle. Since I was new to this process, I had more questions. I did not have the same trust level with Dr. G. as I did with Dr. Pauli. At times, I felt I was more a number to Dr. G. and when things failed, there were no new information that was gleamed and used for the next cycle...Strength: Very well organized, the doctors and nurses are specialized in their areas and I'm very confident in their abilities. They do respect your privacy, which is extremely important in this field. Weakness: With my first doctor (Dr. G.) that I worked with, it was hard to reach her directly. Had to go through the nurses and waited days before she contacted me back. However, this may be doctor specific.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
The fourth IVF cycle was going to be our last attempt for my husband and me for financial, emotional, and physical reasons. Our first Fertility doctor had told us that she (the doctor) had tried all the protocols that she would on me and she would just go back to one of the previous protocols for our fourth IVF cycle. At that point we felt our doctor had given up on us and it was just a shot in the dark, if the next IVF cycle would work. At that point, my husband and I decided we needed a break from all of the Fertility treatments and then switched to a new Fertility doctor, Dr. Samuel Pauli. Dr. Samuel Pauli helped us with our fertility treatment. He listened to what research and knowledge I gained from my failed IVF cycles and tailored the treatment for us. The fourth and last IVF cycle (the first IVF cycle with Dr. Pauli) was a Success! This in itself speaks to how wonderful Dr. Pauli is at his profession. We felt he doesn’t see us as just another one of his patients. He truly cared about us.
The protocol involved following the natural ovulation cycle and used heavy hormone stimulation (Gonal F and Ganirelix) to increase the most amount of eggs that can be retrieved during ovulation that was triggered with the trigger shot. Then I believe with only 6 eggs retrieved, ICSI was performed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Dr. Pauli's nurse are very caring and showed compassion. They are a very organized and supportive team. They answered my questions as best as they can and understood this was not an easy process to go through.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
The IVF cycles were around $20K per round.

2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
I felt like he [Dr. Samuel Pauli] did a great job. He follows the western medical model and as a patient I needed to remember that he was going from that philosophy which isn't the whole picture. I have been considering returning for another cycle though. The fact that he did most of my surgeries helped me trust him with understanding my specific fertility treatment needs as complications arose.
The clinic [IVF New England] is organized and the staff are personable considering how busy it is...All of them became like family I was there so often for a while. There was only one bad experience with someone who was either covering or new, but didn't stay or didn't last because of complaints? She met with us to let us know about not finding a heart beat and she was brutal and awful. I never saw her after that. All of the regular nurses are really great. No complaints whatsoever.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
I felt like he did a great job. He follows the western medical model and as a patient I needed to remember that he was going from that philosophy which isn't the whole picture. I have been considering returning for another cycle though. The fact that he did most of my surgeries helped me trust him with understanding my specific fertility treatment needs as complications arose.
1. The body needs time to recover and heal in between surgeries. Sometimes focusing on the body clock medical model although has evidence behind it, may not be paying attention to the need for recovery time. 2. Get to know a few more other approaches that are also evidence based for informed referral practices because ivf treatment really requires an interdisciplinary approach and model. Specifically - for emotional and psychological support: Music therapy and other creative arts therapies/ expressive therapies. Dietician should definitely be a part of ivf treatment as well as acupuncture for sure! If I had not had these areas covered in my treatment with Tamie, I would have definitely been prescribed more medical model medicine, or surgeries and not found the root of the issues I was facing.
Dr. Pauli was very compassionate as well as informed and worked with the data he had within his area and philosophy of expertise from the Western model. He explained things clearly and also was able to listen and I felt heard. He engaged and participated in my treatment decisions from day 1. It was complicated with fibroids and he used trusted second opinions and referred me to Tamie as well.
2 x fibroid removal surgeries, 3 hours long each. 1 or 2 months between each. 1 cycle, gonotropin? and the other injections: one for egg quality and one to control the cycle. egg retrieval with 2 eggs, successful positive test unsuccessful pregnancy 2 natural egg transfers, 1 at a time. a few months between each other with progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Liz)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is organized and the staff are personable considering how busy it is.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
not sure, my insurance covered most of the costs.

2014 - 2015, Successful
He is no nonsense and very serious about his job.... Dr Pang had given my husband and I a chromosome test where is was found I had an extra chromosome that was maybe to blame for myany failed ivf attempts at my last clinic.... he was more confident in using donor eggs then my own to have a healthy baby. I trusted him and he provided an excellent medical protocol for my egg donor. Everything was seamless,and easy.
The staff [IVF New England] was amazing and Paula was the best. I live on the other side of the state and she always made sure appointments for myself and donor were made and easy and stress free.... I can’t say anything bad. Maybe I’m bias because I was a successful ivf story but it took many bad days to get to that one good one.... Because we used donor eggs and had no insurance coverage we paid out of pocket $16,000. Give or take.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pang was no nonsense and after so many failed attempts and fluff from our previous doctor we felt we were finally with a doctor that would take the time to figure out the real reason we couldn’t get pregnant. He is no nonsense and very serious about his job and he does it good and will do whatever it takes to have a happy outcome. And even reached out to me to discuss any questions I had during the the process.
Stay open-minded and just know this guy is legit and knows what he is doing. Trust him.
He made me feel re-assured that I would be a mom. He didn’t bs me or my husband and got right to the point and we appreciated the honesty. It’s a tough business and to have someone know how to make things happen and will do all it takes was a game changer. He is amazing.
Dr Pang had given my husband and I a chromosome test where is was found I had an extra chromosome that was maybe to blame for myany failed ivf attempts at my last clinic. They didn’t test me there but pushed frozen cycle after cycle that always ended in miscarrriage. Because of this chromosome being there he was more confident in using donor eggs then my own to have a healthy baby. I trusted him and he provided an excellent medical protocol for my egg donor. Everything was seamless,and easy. Which for an egg donor having to go through ivf for no personal benefit you want to be sure they are treated better than most.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Paula )
The staff was amazing and Paula was the best. I live on the other side of the state and she always made sure appointments for myself and donor were made and easy and stress free.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I can’t say anything bad. Maybe I’m bias because I was a successful ivf story but it took many bad days to get to that one good one. While the traveling was convenient being from the other side of the state I wish they had branches more locally to setve western mass.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pang at Boston IVF.
Because we used donor eggs and had no insurance coverage we paid out of pocket $16,000. Give or take. This included legal fees, egg donor cycle, transfer, meds, and continuing to pay storage fees.
Describe Samuel Pang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I remember a couple days before transfer I begged dr pang to transfer two embryos for a higher success rate. He didn’t want to budge and knew I’d get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy with a singleton and he was right.

2013 - 2015, Successful
He [Dr. Alan Penzias] seemed to really care and celebrate our wins while keeping us motivated and encouraged during our losses...He explains things well and doesn’t give false hope. He is optimistic but truthful. He also genuinely seems happy when things go well and celebrates along with you...We did a day 5 transfer of two embryos...The next cycle we did a fet...When my lining was thick enough two embryos were transferred. I got pregnant with one baby and had my daughter from that cycle.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is really nice. The staff is all caring and the clinic is organized and clean. They manage to make a scary, stressful time as livable as possible. They also offer supplemental things like acupuncture an massages to help you relax...They [nurses] were all amazing. They make the process a little less stressful and make you feel like family...He [Dr. Alan Penzias] seemed to really care and celebrate our wins while keeping us motivated and encouraged during our losses
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias is a very caring doctor. He explains things well and doesn’t give false hope. He is optimistic but truthful. He also genuinely seems happy when things go well and celebrates along with you.
Listen to what he says and trust that he won’t steer you wrong.
He seemed to really care and celebrate our wins while keeping us motivated and encouraged during our losses.
We were told that Ivf with icsi was our only option because the count and motility was so low. For the ivf cycle I was put on birth control for one month. On day 3 I started final-f. I took that for a few days and was monitored. When the follicles were ready I was told when to take the hcg and when to come back for retrieval. The eggs were retrieved, fertilized and left to grow. We did a day 5 transfer of two embryos. That cycle ended in a negative pregnancy test. The next cycle we did a fet. I was put on a pill, I forgot the name, but it was to help my lining grow but keep me from ovulating I think. When my lining was thick enough two embryos were transferred. I got pregnant with one baby and had my daughter from that cycle. A year later the same thing was done but that ended in a negative test. The doctor thought my lining my have been too thick. The next cycle was the same protocol but that one ended with betas that didn’t double so I was told to stop taking meds. The last time things were done differently but I forgot that protocol. I took a pill and then transferred when the timing was right. That was our last two embryos and it resulted in my second daughter. Each transfer we transferred two embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara)
They were all amazing. They make the process a little less stressful and make you feel like family.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is really nice. The staff is all caring and the clinic is organized and clean. They manage to make a scary, stressful time as livable as possible. They also offer supplemental things like acupuncture an massages to help you relax.
Thankfully most was covered by insurance. I think by the end of all of the cycles we paid around $5000 out of pocket.