LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

Adrienne Neithardt

Worcester Fertility Center
100 MLK Jr. Blvd. Ste. 300
Worcester, MA 01608

2023, Successful
Dr. Rita Sneeringer is a compassionate, kind and empathetic doctor. I didn't feel ashamed or shy to share intimate medical details with her. Something I really value about her is she is honest but also understanding. I didn't get a sense of judgement for her which I sometimes feel with doctors. She actually praised me for our decision to pursue fertility preservation, which really made me feel confident in our decision...she is happy to give you scientifically backed answers
Overall everyone [at Boston IVF] is very professional, communicative and honest. I will say, I wish that instead of phone calls during the cycle (i.e. while on the stim protocols) we could get an email with next steps...Cons- You can only call during business hours. This is a little frusterating. I wish you could utilize their app to communicate with your care team. The calling got old quick...Dr. Sneeringer is a very kind, direct physician. She was patient with us throughout all of our initial questions while she was doing our consult. When it was time to move into the ER stage, her team was very responsive.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Rita Sneeringer is a compassionate, kind and empathetic doctor. I didn't feel ashamed or shy to share intimate medical details with her. Something I really value about her is she is honest but also understanding. I didn't get a sense of judgement for her which I sometimes feel with doctors. She actually praised me for our decision to pursue fertility preservation, which really made me feel confident in our decision to continue with Boston IVF after our consult.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Make sure to read all emails thoroughly prior to your consult. Its a LOT of information they need from you, but if you give yourself enough time to fill out everything properly (forms, medical history, clearing with insurance, etc.) you will have a seamless experience. Also! Bring your questions, she is happy to give you scientifically backed answers (as opposed to Dr. Google).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did fertility preservation, I am 29 (F) and my husband is 31 (M). Total number of days on medication = 10. u= units. My calendar included Gonal-F (150 u), Menopur (75 u) for the first 4 days. Days 5-9 Ganirelex was added (one box, 0.25 mg), for reference this was 5 days of all 3 meds. Day 10 was my trigger shot, Lupon 80 u.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Cincotta )
The nurses were the MVP of the procedure! They call you and let you know when to start, what times to take the medications, what to expect in terms of side effects and help assist with booking the next ultrasound/blood work apts.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Pros: Very convenient as they have several locations. I was lucky to be in between two sites. Their Lexington location is open all year round, even holidays. This was helpful for my one ultrasound/bloodwork apt that fell on a Sunday. Overall everyone is very professional, communicative and honest. I will say, I wish that instead of phone calls during the cycle (i.e. while on the stim protocols) we could get an email with next steps. Sometimes I would be working, in the middle of a task etc and its not consistent in terms of when you expect a call. It would be helpful if they called and pushed an update with the same instructions on the app. They do leave voicemails, but sometimes its nice to be able to ask questions without calling, leaving a voicemail for them and expecting a call during business hours. The egg retrieval day was INCREDIBLE. I am not exaggerating when I say I was blown away with how seamless everything went. I was in and out in 2 hours. The nurses, the doctor who performed the retrieval (who I can't remember, it wasn't my dr. but he was so calm and kind) and the anesthiologist were genuinely so amazing. I couldn't have imagined a better care team. Cons- You can only call during business hours. This is a little frusterating. I wish you could utilize their app to communicate with your care team. The calling got old quick! A couple of notes for future couples- this is an intense process. We had an unexpected family illness and it was very hard to travel during this. When you are ready, you must commit. You have a ton of apts (they are fast, but you still need to be home). Just be prepared for an intense couple of weeks once your forms and insurance are cleared to continue!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
My health insurance covered the cost of the medications, but I looked and it would have costed a whopping 18K without insurance coverage. The copays cost me $110 The cycle cost $9,135.00 The genetic testing (after insurance partially contributed) was $60 for both of us. Note: My employer works with Carrot Fertility to provide supplemental funds for all of this, up to 20K. I spent about 11K.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
N/A, we did preservation for future use.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Just took a little longer for my perscriptions to be sent over- we had a miscommunication on when they were supposed to be sent. But it was quickly corrected.

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Murphy is exceptionally empathetic and extremely knowledgeable. She answers all our statistical questions thoroughly...she offered her recommendations on next steps but created plenty of space for us to talk through possible alternative options. Even when I wasn't able to speak to her directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication...Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly...
Multiple locations of the clinic [Boston IVF] was great. The operations were pretty fluid. Sometimes it was difficult to get the time for an appointment I needed. But most of the time it worked out....They [nurses] always called back within the same day...Even when I wasn't able to speak to her [Dr. Murphy] directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication. I never needed to repeat myself to an RN. Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy is exceptionally empathetic and extremely knowledgeable. She answers all our statistical questions thoroughly. She addressed our anxieties thoughtfully. And she offered her recommendations on next steps but created plenty of space for us to talk through possible alternative options. Even when I wasn't able to speak to her directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication. I never needed to repeat myself to an RN. Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly. It always felt like she was rooting for us. She even called us at the end of her workday on a Friday evening after we miscarried to just talk to us and say sorry for the loss. It was unexpected and really heartwarming. It emphasized to us how she was our advocate and cheerleader in addition to being our doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Ask for what you need. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Even if she's not there doing a procedure, she's always aware of her patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy always took the time to answer every single question I had even if it was for a possible future procedure we may end up not doing. She balanced giving us the clinical best practice alongside the mental health implications as well as took consideration to the financial piece. The biggest part though was how she addressed my husband equally. She honored both our needs throughout the process.
Describe the protocols Lauren Murphy used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
5 rounds of IUI, some unmedicated, some medicated. One full IVF round including a retrieval with all the related medication. Then 2 rounds of IVF natural cycles with trigger shot. One was a single embryo transfer and the second two embryos. Then a third double embryo transfer with full medication. Prior to the third IVF transfer, we did an endometrio biopsy and mock transfer cycle for additional tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda, Hope, Jackie)
They always called back within the same day.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Multiple locations of the clinic was great. The operations were pretty fluid. Sometimes it was difficult to get the time for an appointment I needed. But most of the time it worked out.
Describe Lauren Murphy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We initially transferred one embryo, and then she was comfortable starting to transfer two embryos after that. The reasons felt clear primarily because we had been in this process for 2.5 years at that point.

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
Dr. Penzias is incredibly knowledgeable and a leader in the field...He also came to every consultation having read and prepared my history carefully. He knew all my backstory and extreme challenges and was highly sensitive to that...He may not at first come across as especially warm and fuzzy (though definitely not cold) but he really is quite empathetic which I learned more and more over time.
Some people don't like this [Boston IVF] clinic because it so large, they feel like they are treated like a number, and/or their main RE's don't generally do their procedures. However, I love that it is the only thing they do, it is mostly a well-oiled machine, it is easily accessible with free parking, I can have things scheduled there any day and most times, I can do everything I need (testing, consults, procedures) in one place, and I have overall good experiences with their doctors and most of the other staff I have dealt with there. They are also well-regarded with many of the doctors being leaders in the field.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
(I am cutting and pasting from my prior comment as it applies to this question.) Dr. Penzias is incredibly knowledgeable and a leader in the field, and also knows that as I scientist I am very up to date on the research. So while he is always prepared to talk through any step of the process in a clear way, he also respected that I was pretty clear on everything and knew the literature. Still I felt comfortable asking any remaining questions and he always took the time to make sure they were fully answered. He also came to every consultation having read and prepared my history carefully. He knew all my backstory and extreme challenges and was highly sensitive to that. And while he doesn't generally encourage the use of RI's, in my case (and a few other patients of his) it was clear that was the next step having ruled out so much else, and he was on board for collaborating. And lastly, after my last failure, he wanted to make sure that aside from IVF plans, that I had support for the depression and challenges I was going through. I couldn't have asked for much more.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He may not at first come across as especially warm and fuzzy (though definitely not cold) but he really is quite empathetic which I learned more and more over time. He also really takes all the time to make sure you have covered any and all questions For me he knew that I knew the research well so we didn't have to go through many of the basics, but he always had relevant slides prepared if we needed to, and I'm sure they would have been extremely helpful when I first started this process. He is also totally up to date on the current research and upcoming policies and guidance as a leader in the field and at the ASRM.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I'm not comfortable answering this one - sorry.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Some people don't like this clinic because it so large, they feel like they are treated like a number, and/or their main RE's don't generally do their procedures. However, I love that it is the only thing they do, it is mostly a well-oiled machine, it is easily accessible with free parking, I can have things scheduled there any day and most times, I can do everything I need (testing, consults, procedures) in one place, and I have overall good experiences with their doctors and most of the other staff I have dealt with there. They are also well-regarded with many of the doctors being leaders in the field.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
The costs at the clinic in general seem among the highest of other clinics I am aware of.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I was allowed to transfer two double donor low mosaic embryos at the same time, primarily because they were mosaics but perhaps also keeping mind all my prior failures even with double donor euploid embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I have been using this clinic for nearly five years,, and while there have been occasional issues, given how long I have been there, the dozens and dozens of appointments, etc., this seems like a very low percentage, especially when I hear about other clinics' issues.

2020 - 2022, Successful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I saw Dr. Luzzo for a second opinion after 4 failed FET cycles. She not only took a fresh careful approach to my diagnosis of unexplained secondary infertility, but was very thorough and knowledgeable about my medical history. She offered up options, answered all my questions, and was really personable....In my case, she recommended single embryo transfer, given tested embryos and other heath factors. We discussed a plan to consider multiple embryo transfers in the future if this next cycle is not successful.
Wonderfully organized and prompt communication. Really great clinicians, but the whole team [at Boston IVF] has been just excellent...My primary nurses have been Wendy and Liz- excellent and prompt communicators. They have been so compassionate- especially during my miscarriage, but also so helpful with the clinical and logistic aspects of each of my cycle...Dr. Luzzo is really personable and an excellent clinician.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Go see her as soon as you can! She is an excellent combination of clinical expertise and personable care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Luzzo is really personable and an excellent clinician. She remembered details about my (many) cycles and offered information and presented options in an understandable way, answering all my questions and making me part of the decision making process.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We started with a hysteroscopy, then an egg retrieval and PGT testing. Then proceeded with natural FET cycle and, although I had a miscarriage, I actually got pregnant, which was a first after 4 prior FET cycles and 3 IUIs!! We regrouped with a repeat hysteroscopy as it had been more than a year, removed some cerbical stenosis and completed a natural mock cycle with endometrial biopsy. Now I’m about to start a natural cycle for an embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy and Liz)
My primary nurses have been Wendy and Liz- excellent and prompt communicators. They have been so compassionate- especially during my miscarriage, but also so helpful with the clinical and logistic aspects of each of my cycles. They have patiently and empathetically answered all my questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Wonderfully organized and prompt communication. Really great clinicians, but the whole team has been just excellent! Everyone I have talked with or emailed has been helpful, kind, and informative. They have always been so patient with all my questions, even when I felt silly asking them!! So professional, but I never felt rushed or ignored.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
My insurance has given me pretty good coverage overall. Main costs included PGT testing, which wasn’t covered by my insurance. They communicated clearly upfront costs associated with this and called along the way if there were different options to choose from, such as when we were deciding how many of our embryos to send for PGT testing.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
She fully discussed pros and cons of both choices fully with me. In my case, she recommended single embryo transfer, given tested embryos and other heath factors. We discussed a plan to consider multiple embryo transfers in the future if this next cycle is not successful.
Kerri Luzzo
Providence

2022, Unsuccessful
Dr Li was very up front with her recommendation given our medical profile, and was confident IVF would yield the best outcome for us. She educated us on the data and the treatment protocol that was recommended. She answered all of my questions and used visual aids to help explain the science and process of IVF and PGT-A testing.
A huge bonus is that the [Boston IVF] clinic has several monitoring sites and I have never had an issue with scheduling an appointment or getting testing completed. There is little to no wait time at the clinic. The only weakness I would say is that the monitoring sites do not know a lot about your protocol, and only perform the necessary tests.
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
Go into every meeting with questions prepared for her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
Dr Li made extra time in her schedule to meet with us for additional consultations. She helped answer any questions we had and made us feel heard.
Describe the protocols Sandy Li used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol with PGT-A testing due to diminished ovarian reserve, recurrent pregnancy loss and age factor. Gonal-F and Meopur at max dosing, added in Centrotide day 5 due to concerns of pre-ovulation. Lupron Trigger 36 hours before retrieval. Produced 8 eggs, 4 mature, 1 fertilized and frozen but came back abnormal from PGT-A testing.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Dr. Li has a team of nurses, but you are never assigned to just one. They all do an excellent job with their response time. You are never able to speak to a live nurse when you call, the system is set up for the patient to leave a message and someone from the team calls back. I had the pleasure of connecting with a floating nurse on the team named Heidi and she was the most compassionate nurse I worked with. She advocated on my behalf when I felt like I needed more time with the Dr., and helped maximize my savings for prescription medications since I was self-pay. Heidi also called to check on me several times and corrected errors others made on the team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A huge bonus is that the clinic has several monitoring sites and I have never had an issue with scheduling an appointment or getting testing completed. There is little to no wait time at the clinic. The only weakness I would say is that the monitoring sites do not know a lot about your protocol, and only perform the necessary tests.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Li at Boston IVF.
I have insurance but it did not cover IVF. My out of pocket costs were 12,571 which included monitoring, egg retrieval, and PGT-A testing. Medications were 5,000 and if I have an embryo transfer that would have been 3,400.
Describe Sandy Li's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
It was clear and agreed up from the beginning that we only want a eSET!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The nursing team accidentally canceled monitoring appointments, and another time scheduled them on the wrong day (past date vs future date). They also did not complete paperwork that was needed for a prescription discount program and were not knowledgeable on that process.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
She’s [Dr. Thornton is] a good listener and answered questions in detail and has a kind demeanor. She also took interest in my life outside treatment so I didn’t feel like just a number. It was important for me to have a black female doctor and I felt I could more easily talk about racial concerns...She recommended COQ10 in addition to the prenatal vitamin I was already taking...
It’s almost impossible to get someone to answer a call directly [at Boston IVF]. It tends to go to voicemail with a long message about their callback policy that you can’t skip. During the treatment cycle they were very responsive and and warm. Missing a call created anxiety especially before I started a treatment cycle, because I’d have to leave a message again...Communications had sort of a factory feel. Before scheduling my initial consult I wished someone could have laid out potential future appointments and blood/ultrasound monitoring during egg retrieval...
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She’s a good listener and answered questions in detail and has a kind demeanor. She also took interest in my life outside treatment so I didn’t feel like just a number. It was important for me to have a black female doctor and I felt I could more easily talk about racial concerns.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Don’t delay in scheduling since her calendar books quickly, and be persistent about getting an earlier appointment/ask to get put on the waitlist and follow up
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She listened to my concerns and answered my questions and also expressed interest in personal details outside the treatment.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
She recommended COQ10 in addition to the prenatal vitamin I was already taking. I injected meds to increase my follicles and eggs and had frequent monitoring to time my retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
It’s almost impossible to get someone to answer a call directly. It tends to go to voicemail with a long message about their callback policy that you can’t skip. During the treatment cycle they were very responsive and and warm. Missing a call created anxiety especially before I started a treatment cycle, because I’d have to leave a message again
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Provide an easier way for patients to get in touch and get questions answered sooner. Communications had sort of a factory feel. Before scheduling my initial consult I wished someone could have laid out potential future appointments and blood/ultrasound monitoring during egg retrieval. I would have potentially opted for a closer clinic had I known that
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered everything except embryo genetic testing. I’m still not sure if donor sperm is covered
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We discussed potentially transferring more than one embryo due to my age.
Kim L. Thornton

2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Penzias treats me like an intelligent human being, which I really appreciate. He doesn’t sugar coat or dumb-down information, and he’s very thorough explaining what he has read from my chart for previous cycles. I felt he really paid attention to me as an individual...extremely thorough and knowledgeable. He is frank about what he can and cannot do for me, and explains why. I appreciate that he’s forthcoming about his thought process...
I really appreciate that BostonIVF is open 365 days a year, it’s nice not to have to try to fit my cycle around their schedule. The clinic facilities are nice and I like that they have in-house acupuncture for pre- and post-transfer. I also appreciate that they have so many locations so morning monitoring appointments are easy to schedule....
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias is extremely thorough and knowledgeable. He is frank about what he can and cannot do for me, and explains why. I appreciate that he’s forthcoming about his thought process. We haven’t found success yet, but I am confident that he will leave no stones unturned to help us get there if we can.
Do your research and be prepared with questions!
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We came to Dr. P already having done two retrievals, so we had three tested embryos and were coming to him after a failed transfer and a cancelled transfer. Dr. P was receptive to me doing diagnostic testing (Emma/Alice) before moving forward with a FET cycle. For the FET cycle, he had me on a high dose of estrogen for three weeks, and then increased it further for a fourth week to thicken my lining. This seemed to work, though it was still on the thin side. The transfer was not successful, but I think he’ll still be able to find a solution for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Lisa is absolutely amazing. She is kind, thorough, and quick to respond. I really felt like she had my back throughout the cycle. I appreciate her so much.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
So far almost all of my care has been covered by insurance.
We never really talked about this, we only want to transfer one embryo at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Before I switched to Dr. Penzias’ team, I was with another doctor at BostonIVF whose team was less organized and who had some mix ups with my retrieval and transfer cycles.

2022, Successful
Dr. Seidler really cares. She never made me feel rushed or disregarded. She listened to and answered every question my husband and I had. She also brought levity to a stressful subject and helped me to feel calmer and more optimistic about what feels like a daunting process...Used an antagonist method for IVF b/c of PCOS diagnosis and a freeze all cycle to avoid OHSS. We then proceeded with eSET based on our ages and the Dr.’s recommendations...
Boston IVF is a well oiled machine. I was able to get treatment 24/7 365 and someone was always available to answer questions. It feels like a state of the art institution which was comforting for us. However if you want to guarantee your doctor will perform your procedures this may not be the place for you. Nonetheless, every doctor I encountered was so kind and I truly felt comfortable with and cared for by all of them...I had two primary nurses (both named Nikki) who were excellent. They were communicative, helpful, and so kind. They really rooted for us during the highs and the lows...
How was your experience with Emily Seidler at Boston IVF?
Dr. Seidler and her team were amazing. They felt like friends that were rooting for me and I came to really trust and care about them. They understood my concerns and made me feel comfortable reaching out any day / time. And I always received a response within 24 hours (oftentimes just an hour or two later).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Seidler at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to open up and ask the questions that feel “stupid.” Dr. Seidler will make you feel heard no matter what.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Seidler at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Emily Seidler used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Seidler at Boston IVF.
Nearly all of our costs were covered by insurance!
Describe Emily Seidler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
eSET was ultimately the right choice for us! It was hard to be patient but ultimately happy to be pregnant with one singleton.
Emily Seidler

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
my transfer was cancelled. When I asked for next steps he [Dr. Berger] said "I don't know". I would have appreciated if he considered critically thinking outside of the box, but it appears he only works with 2 protocols of which he doesn't personalize for patients. That second cancelled FET protocol ended up giving me OHSS and Dr. Berger did not reach out to me once to check to see how I was or answer questions even after I was hospitalized for loosing consciousness due to it...
my nurse [at Boston IVF] was extremely disorganized with scheduling follow ups or testing, or keeping track of my paperwork. Every time she called me she sounded overwhelmed so she is most likely just overworked and the patient volume is too much for her...The sonographers and phlebotomists are extremely compassionate and professional...All procedures are done by different doctors (even if your doctor claims they will try to do it). Everything is rushed because they are a large clinic with a large patient volume...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I do appreciate that Dr.Berger tested my free and total T which ended up leading towards my lean PCOS dx. I also appreciate that he would personally call me with every set back we had. Yet that is all that occured under his care - setbacks. For my egg retrieval I personally scanned myself (Im a sonographer) and had over 12 dominant follicles per ovary (at least 24 total). yet then only 12 eggs were retrieved, which he admitted was a huge discrepancy. There was no explanation as to why so we only ended up with 2 euploid embryos. Our first FET I was placed on a letrozole protocol which was unsuccessful. I tested at home day 8 (+) then started bleeding the day before b-hcg (-). He then put me on a super aggressive gonadotropin protocol. I scanned myself and saw trace fluid in my lining and asked for an official US. Because of those findings my transfer was cancelled. When I asked for next steps he said "I don't know". I would have appreciated if he considered critically thinking outside of the box, but it appears he only works with 2 protocols of which he doesn't personalize for patients. That second cancelled FET protocol ended up giving me OHSS and Dr. Berger did not reach out to me once to check to see how I was or answer questions even after I was hospitalized for loosing consciousness due to it.
If you are not a straight forward case find a different doctor because he only uses two cookie cuter protocols and he will not personalize your protocol to enhance your chances of success. If you advocate for yourself and ask questions he may not be a good fit for you because he often laughs at questions and shoots them down and calls them "scams". For example when I asked about coQ10 supplement (which has published evidence based data to support it).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Red flag #1: "Oh you're young we don't need to start early, it will be easy to get you pregnant" Dr.Berger assumed I would have no infertility diagnoses due to being 27 at the time, even though I did have concerns of extremely painful periods, irregular cycles etc.. I never once got to meet him in person. I feel that I was treated as a number because he only had 2 specific FET protocols that he uses on patients and when my second one was cancelled the day before transfer and I asked him for next steps he responded " I don't know". I ended up getting OHSS and he never checked in with me to see if I was okay even after being hospitalized, and his nurse assuring me that he would.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
First FET protocol: Modified natural Letrozole -unsuccessful Second FET Protocol: Artificial with gonadotropins -cancelled These apparently are the only two protocols he uses and offered me
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Donna Zimmerman)
I was assigned Donna and requested a different nurse after many mistakes and negative experiences. Yet Dr. Berger specifically only works with Donna and Angel. Due to my cycle type I was assigned Donna. I asked if Angel could be my nurse and was told yes but she only called me twice most of my two years was spent under Donnas "care". Disorganized- She had forgotten to schedule me an HSG before my cycle as required my insurance. She continually lost track of any information I gave her. She sent me the wrong cycle calendar at one point. She forgot to schedule follow up appointments for me. I'm not sure if she ever informed Dr.Berger of my OHSS. Everything was a complete struggle and made the whole process more stressful with her - even filing the paperwork to transport our embryo to a new clinic. Not very compassionate- Her words when I called about OHSS "well at least you're not pregnant". Her words when she forgot to schedule my HSG "well you can just wait until your next cycle" -even though I don't get a normal period and that could literally take months to occur.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: The sonographers and phlebotomists are extremely compassionate and professional. Weaknesses: All procedures are done by different doctors (even if your doctor claims they will try to do it). Everything is rushed because they are a large clinic with a large patient volume (BIVF).. this trickles down to how you can be treated as just another number. If you have poor experiences with your nurse you are stuck. Billing is confusing- they send you a bill and it has no reference to the service or service date.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
I was never scheduled to "see dr. berger" every visit is telehealth and never once in person. Even though you would think this would be more convenient, the wait is on average a month (even after I had a failed cycle).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
With BCBS of MA I had copays for telehealth "visits" or calls, procedures, US, and labs. I paid out of pocket for PGT-A $3,900. Storage fees of $100/month for embryos and $100/month for sperm. $800 for cryopreservation of sperm after partners MESA.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We only had two euploid embryos so only considered SET
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I had very few instances in which things actually went right at this clinic, mostly because my nurse was extremely disorganized with scheduling follow ups or testing, or keeping track of my paperwork. Every time she called me she sounded overwhelmed so she is most likely just overworked and the patient volume is too much for her. This however negatively impacted my care significantly and I had to advocate for myself far more than necessary.
South Shore (closed)

2020 - 2022, 53 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Murphy is fantastic and I would highly recommend her to anyone looking for a fertility doctor. She was patient, kind, and thoroughly explained my options and associated risks. I was so grateful to have found such a great fertility doctor. After I moved to a different state and consequently had to proceed with a different fertility clinic, I set up a consultation with Dr. Murphy as a second opinion because I valued her expertise so much. I trusted her so much that I couldn't imagine proceeding with my FET without her weighing in!
The [Boston IVF] clinic was pretty disorganized. I had to be pretty aggressive about calling and following up to push things forward. I'm not sure if that was the nurses or the administration, though. Once I was there for blood draws and other exams, the nurses were all very competent and nice...The communication and coordination around my egg freezing cycles was not the best. One has to really advocate for themselves and be aggressive about calling and following up. But, the patient care by the doctors and nurses was really fantastic.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy was incredibly patient and thorough in explaining my options to me. She was really great at listening to what my personal goals were and adjusting the plan to maximize my goals. I really felt like she applied her expertise to my personal situation, which I really appreciated.
I did two egg retrievals (for freezing) with Dr. Murphy. Because of my age (39 at the time), I think we had to be pretty aggressive about medications and monitor pretty closely. My results were amazing, though, retrieving over 60 eggs in those two cycles. So, whatever she did certainly worked. A couple years later, we turned those eggs into embryos, did PGT-A testing and ended up with 8 beautiful, healthy embryos. Given my age, I really needed to mitigate the chances of miscarriage, so I don't at all regret doing the PGT-A testing. I also consulted with her about what kind of frozen embryo cycle to go with, not getting much clarity from my new fertility doctor (I had moved to a new state). We discussed my options and preferences and she recommended a natural cycle. I went with that natural cycle and am now pregnant.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The clinic was pretty disorganized. I had to be pretty aggressive about calling and following up to push things forward. I'm not sure if that was the nurses or the administration, though. Once I was there for blood draws and other exams, the nurses were all very competent and nice.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
I was very lucky because I had Google insurance that covered most of my egg freezing costs.
Given my age and the fact that we did the PGT-A testing, both Dr Murphy and my new fertility doctor recommended a single embryo transfer. Both doctors were pretty clear on this being the healthiest choice for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Both of my egg freezing cycles were done under particular time crunches and in both cases I was almost unable to do the cycles due to administrative problems. For the first one, it took a lot of phone calls and coordination to make sure I could do the egg freezing before my insurance ran out. I'm quite certain it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't constantly called and reminded and nagged. For the second cycle, I was no longer living in Boston, but arranged to come to town for the cycle. I coordinated and confirmed everything and then once I arrived in Boston, was told that it hadn't been set up and I wouldn't be able to do the cycle that month. Luckily, with quite a bit of persistence on my part, I was able to get everything back on track. These were just some of the bigger coordination events. Both cycles were peppered with smaller coordination and communication problems.

2022, Unsuccessful
Dr. Sandy Li was polite and kind. She did not always set expectations, which, in fairness, could have been out of politeness...After our first round of IVF failed, Dr. Li was not proactive and made no recommendations to adjust our treatment - I had to research on my own. While Dr. Li might be a good fit for others, she was not a good fit for us in terms of providing tailored treatment or closely monitoring our labs and fertilized embryos.
The BostonIVF nursing team is solid, but it is impossible to reach them by phone and we mainly communicated via email. In their emails and when they called me, conversations were extremely rushed - I don't blame the nurses, I got the sense all the nursing and doctor teams at BostonIVF had enormous patient caseloads...BostonIVF is kind of like McDonalds - their typical treatment is an out-of-the-box Happy Meal that probably works for a majority of their patients. Having said that, BostonIVF prioritizes their IVF rates above all else. To this day, I think they would have happily strung me along with 5+ rounds of IVF with minimal adjustments round-to-round. If you're someone where BostonIVF worked the first round, that's great! But if you can only afford 1-2 rounds of IVF, I would recommend a hospital-based IVF clinic where they prioritize YOUR best success rate.
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sandy Li was polite, kind, and knowledgeable. Having said that, Dr. Li prioritizes the success rate of BostonIVF over the individual success rate of the patient. Every decision Dr. Li made prioritized the highest success rate for BostonIVF; she did not explain the options at our disposal and I had to do extensive research after our first IVF round failed. For example, we had over 20 eggs but less than 5 fertilized; Dr. Li pushed PGT testing repeatedly (I understand the benefits, but with under 5 fertilized embryos we did not have the luxury), and Dr. Li insisted on checking on the fertilized embryos after 5 days only to find all stopped developing after Day 3. I found it disturbing that with over 20 eggs, and less than 5 fertilized embryos, Dr. Li was unwilling to consider or even inform us we could do a 3-day transfer. I requested embryology reports and discovered several of our fertilized embryos would have been candidates for 3-day transfer and/or freezing - it was devastating to learn Dr. Li had essentially wasted a round of IVF for us when we had usable embryos. After our first round of IVF failed, Dr. Li was not proactive and made no recommendations to adjust our treatment - I had to research on my own. While Dr. Li might be a good fit for others, she was not a good fit for us in terms of providing tailored treatment or closely monitoring our labs and fertilized embryos. Again, her priority was securing the best rates for BostonIVF; since we had no embryos to transfer, we never impacted her success rate.
Prior to meeting with Dr. Li, research all of the options at your disposal because Dr. Li likely won't make you aware of them, such as Assisted Hatching, 3-day vs. 5-day transfers, and 3-day egg freezing.
Dr. Sandy Li was polite and kind. She did not always set expectations, which, in fairness, could have been out of politeness. For example, we went in thinking we had a fairly straightforward case, so it was particularly devastating when we had 0 blasts and had no embryos to transfer.
We used antagonist protocol. While we were able to retrieve a high number of eggs (>20), I sometimes wonder if the medications could have been calibrated better - I was on 275 Gonal F and 75-112 ML Menopur.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kylie Henderson)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Li at Boston IVF.
About $5,000 for IVF through egg retrieval (but no transfer)
Dr. Li only offered single embryo transfer; I had to research to ask if multiple embryo transfer was an option.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
BostonIVF is incredibly disorganized. They do not closely track lacks or fertilized embryos, so it's not uncommon that hormone levels get so high it prohibits a fresh transfer, or that fertilized Day 3 embryos are wasted because BostonIVF prefers to check on them after Day 5. You will also have to stay on top of every single communication, remind your nursing team, and proactively schedule every single follow-up appointment.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Penzias was clearly knowledgeable and explained things thoroughly. He is very friendly and cut to the chase regarding my age and chances of conception with my own eggs, but didn't imply that it "wasn't worth the time." I just felt like I wasn't always given enough time to ask questions or inquire about alternate conception methods...Based on my baseline hormone levels and age, a high dose of Gonal-F and Menopur were used to obtain the maximum number of eggs.
Appointments [at Boston IVF] were easy to make and super efficient. The ultrasounds techs and phlebotomists were very kind and friendly. As an aside, the patient portal went unnoticed for a long time, and I wasn't informed that almost all results would be reported there!..I felt like the care provided was adequate, but consults were often rushed, and I didn't feel encouraged to ask questions.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
List questions and make sure they are addressed at consult.
Based on my baseline hormone levels and age, a high dose of Gonal-F and Menopur were used to obtain the maximum number of eggs. Ultrasounds and bloodwork was done throughout cycle, but no adjustments were made as I responded well to stimulation meds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Masciovecchio)
Mostly communicated via email, they were responsive, and understanding of an anxious, woman TTC at an older age ;)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Appointments were easy to make and super efficient. The ultrasounds techs and phlebotomists were very kind and friendly. As an aside, the patient portal went unnoticed for a long time, and I wasn't informed that almost all results would be reported there!
Insurance covered everything except PGT-A testing, about $3900/cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Once I received PGT-A results, it was clear they were ready several days before I was informed.

2018 - 2022, Unknown Success
Surrogacy With Other Docs
Dr. Rita has taken her time during consultations to answer my questions and give me medical advice. She has been kind and understanding trying her best to help me achieve pregnancy...I am working with a gestational carrier, she was very good at carefully screening my carrier...One embryo transfer was highly recommended but two embryos was not denied for us.
[Boston IVF] Strength: communication, promptness, and thoroughness of their screenings. Both nurses and the doctor are very kind, compassionate and respond promptly to emails. Weakness: wait time for appointments is pretty long, can take anything between 4-6 weeks to get an appointment...The costs were pretty high, higher than other clinics I’ve worked with
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Rita is very kind, warm and compassionate. She is very knowledgeable and helpful. Tammy is my favorite nurse, she communicates often, is prompt, clear and supportive. Patients usually communicate with nurses more than the doctor.
Have a list of questions, communicate all your worries, wants and needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tammy Greenleaf )
Tammy communicates so well, she’s prompt, even responded on her days off. She was very knowledgeable, helpful and kind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The costs were pretty high, higher than other clinics I’ve worked with

2022, Unsuccessful
We met doctor Pauli two times through an online meeting, he bent his head to his mobile and talked with us. One of the most important factors in medical treatment is one on one interaction between the patient and the provider. While there wasn't Covid when we met doctor Pauli but we couldn't make an in-person appointment with him...for the blood test, my husband's arm became severely bruised and he couldn't bend or sleep on his hand for more than one month. his hand has been green from the place of the needle to his wrist. We complained about it but the clinic and doctor said it is normal.
I can not evaluate the doctor and clinic separately. I believe the whole Boston IVF system and employees are not good...During the treatment, they change nurses several times and none of them are fully responsible to track your treatment procedure. They miss some exams and tests and you have to go to the clinic several times because of their fault in scheduling...
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
We met doctor Pauli two times through an online meeting, he bent his head to his mobile and talked with us. One of the most important factors in medical treatment is one on one interaction between the patient and the provider. While there wasn't Covid when we met doctor Pauli but we couldn't make an in-person appointment with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don't choose Boston IVF, it is wasting time and money.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Patients are just a number for Boston IVF. They don't care about patients at all. The only thing that they care about is how to make money from patients. During the treatment, they change nurses several times and none of them are fully responsible to track your treatment procedure. They miss some exams and tests and you have to go to the clinic several times because of their fault in scheduling. fertility treatment itself is complicated and working with an irresponsible provider makes it much harder.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: They changed nurses frequently.)
Since they have changed nurses frequently, they missed tracking the treatment procedure accurately.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I can not evaluate the doctor and clinic separately. I believe the whole Boston IVF system and employees are not good. They support each other to cover their faults. For example, for the blood test, my husband's arm became severely bruised and he couldn't bend or sleep on his hand for more than one month. his hand has been green from the place of the needle to his wrist. We complained about it but the clinic and doctor said it is normal. For sperm freezing, they gave consent to my husband to sign, in the consent they clearly said the money that you are paying at the beginning is for the whole year, while it wasn't true. They designed the consent in a way that patients were tempted to sign it, then after three months, they sent a bill that from now on you have to pay a specific amount each month to keep the sperm. When we complained to them about the content of the agreement and asked them to dispose of the sperm and refund the money they said we will consider your comments about the content of the sperm freezing agreement and that is it. Their behavior was like scammers, not a medical center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
I told the story of the sperm-freezing agreement.

2022, Successful
Dr. Pauli is the third doctor we see in our infertility journey. I wouldn't describe him as a super warm or compassionate doctor, BUT I'd say I trust him more than anyone else. He was always calm and candid with our diagnosis. Since our infertility was unexplained and we had had one failed IVF with a different clinic, I had a lot of doubts and questions every step throughout. Dr. Pauli addressed my concerns with scientific evidence, and when he told me that he wouldn't worry about something, I did trust him which truly boosted my confidence.
They [Boston IVF] have several branches across the city which made it easy to the numerous visits. Again, reaching out to the team and get instant help was not easy, but the doctors that worked with me all seemed professionable...It was quite difficult to reach the nursing team. 90% of the time I called them, it went to voicemail which was very frustrating and caused me more anxiety. (They did reply, but what I didn't like was the uncertainty of when they'd call or if I'd miss it.)
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli communicates in the way that's exactly what I needed. For every step of the treatment and every question we have, he explained with scientific evidence, and when something was unexplanatory, he was very candid about it too which I think made us feel much more confident in his suggestions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They have several branches across the city which made it easy to the numerous visits. Again, reaching out to the team and get instant help was not easy, but the doctors that worked with me all seemed professionable.

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
Brian Berger is very honest and straightforward, but also sensitive to the information he shares. During a consult, he listens and answers questions and takes the time to go over next steps. I plan to continue my treatments with Dr. Berger...Trust that you're in the best hands...
The [Boston IVF] clinic in Quincy is right off of the highway. Early morning appointments are best, with minimal wait time. One of my only complaints is not having a consistent nurse throughout my cycles. I spoke to several nurses and it was difficult for the nurses to get caught up on current cycle information...The nursing staff is friendly and most are compassionate.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Trust that you're in the best hands.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff is friendly and most are compassionate.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic in Quincy is right off of the highway. Early morning appointments are best, with minimal wait time. One of my only complaints is not having a consistent nurse throughout my cycles. I spoke to several nurses and it was difficult for the nurses to get caught up on current cycle information.
Quincy

2019 - 2021, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Samuel Pauli] showed compassion for my negative pregnancy test, and chemicals. He was willing to listen to my changes in procedures. He valued my feelings...He was compassionate and understanding. I felt he was just as frustrated with my infertility as I was. He didn’t treat me as a number or a ratings score. He wanted me to finally have the family I’ve wanted for 5 years now...He was always willing to discuss options
Make sure your [Boston IVF] portal and appointment times are the same. Always be clear of what department you are trying to get a hold of like admin or nursing. They email direction for egg retrievals/transfers etc and they are pretty clear of instructions...Nurse Nikki always returned my calls, no matter how silly the question...Insurance covered most. Medication costs were ridiculous
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to advocate for you selves if you have ideas of a treatment plans. He was always willing to discuss options
He showed compassion for my negative pregnancy test, and chemicals. He was willing to listen to my changes in procedures. He valued my feelings
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
Nurse Nikki always returned my calls, no matter how silly the question. She personally called me once we found out I was going to be expecting twins and was so happy for my. She was equally as devastated when told her we lost them at 9 weeks.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Make sure your portal and appointment times are the same. Always be clear of what department you are trying to get a hold of like admin or nursing. They email direction for egg retrievals/transfers etc and they are pretty clear of instructions
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered most. Medication costs were ridiculous
Worcester Fertility Center
2018 - 2021, Successful
LGBTQ+
decided to go with Dr Pauli for a second try. He is very compassionate and extremely professional. He explains every single detail of my treatment plan as well as why he thinks it's best for my situation. I had a successful egg retrieval cycle in 2020 which resulted in 4 embryos passing PGS. The first FET cycle succeeded, and I had a beautiful 4 month old now...single embryo...
Boston IVF is handling large numbers of patients every single day, they are very experienced with the procedures, strong in embryology and cell culture. Compared to a different clinics that landed me with 0 freezable embryos, Boston IVF got me 4 freezable embryos in one cycle, and my first FET succeeded. I had a very pleasant experience with Boston IVF....
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
I had a failed IVF at another clinic in 2018, and decided to go with Dr Pauli for a second try. He is very compassionate and extremely professional. He explains every single detail of my treatment plan as well as why he thinks it's best for my situation. I had a successful egg retrieval cycle in 2020 which resulted in 4 embryos passing PGS. The first FET cycle succeeded, and I had a beautiful 4 month old now. All thanks to Dr. Pauli!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nurses are responsive to questions in voice mail; they call every day promptly once blood work + ultrasound results are back so that I know how to proceed.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
single embryo

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
LGBTQ+
Dr. Resetkova has sat and listened to me cry, both in person and over the phone, and has been so compassionate. She definitely does not just see us as a number, she has called me anytime she hears about a possible study or alternative, such as a clinic in LA that will allow same sex couples to adopt embryos, that may help us successfully achieve pregnancy...she goes out of her way to find ways to make this journey very individualized, to minimize your fears and help you understand this journey.
Layunda, or "Lou" [nurse at Boston IVF] as she is called, is so sweet and compassionate, she has always been so friendly and upbeat, and has been so supportive when things don't go as we want them to...The office opens early for monitoring appointments, which is great. On the weekends all monitoring is done at the Waltham office, and all procedures are done at the Waltham office, so the doctor that does your egg retrieval or embryo transfer may not be your primary physician but, the ENTIRE team is wonderful and so caring. My most recent post-op nurse was so attentive and helped me manage the pain I was having with such compassion.
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
I have had nothing but positive experiences with the team at BostonIVF South Shore, from the administrative staff, nurses, phlebotomist, ultrasound techs, and Dr. Resetkova. Everyone is so kind and seems to be genuinely interested in you and your path to parenthood. I can be open an honest with them about how all of this feels, and how frustrating an infertility diagnosis is. They were genuinely happy when we did achieve a pregnancy, and they cried with us when we lost that pregnancy. I feel so completely supported by the team at BostonIVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Be honest and open with her about your concerns, she goes out of her way to find ways to make this journey very individualized, to minimize your fears and help you understand this journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I did several un-medicated IUI cycles, then moved onto medicated IUI cylces, non of which resulted in pregnancy. We tried cycles with clomid, and FSH. Then we moved onto IVF, my first IVF cycle started with a short period of oral contraceptive then with used Gonal-F and Menopur to stimulated. We started with lower doses of the Gonal-F and increased as needed with monitoring. This cycle produced very few eggs and was converted to an IUI cycle which was unsuccessful. The next IVF cycle started with high doses of Gonal-F and Menopur, with this cycle we retrieved 8 eggs, more then she expected, 6 fertilized and 2 made it to good quality day 5 blastocysts. We opted not to test our embryos because we were worried with limited numbers we could risk losing them. We transferred both of these embryos and I was pregnant but, lost the baby to a trisomy at 18 weeks. My mos recent IVF cycle we followed the same medication plan, high doses of Gonal F and Menopur, we got 3 eggs, and 2 fertilized. We transferred both of these embryos on day 3. We are now in a holding period because of the COVID 19 pandemic. I am taking an oral contraceptive now in preparation for a hopeful cycle start in May. At that time we will be using Gonal F, Lupron, and Menopur (I believe).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Layunda)
Layunda, or "Lou" as she is called, is so sweet and compassionate, she has always been so friendly and upbeat, and has been so supportive when things don't go as we want them to.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
Some of my care was covered under insurance but, some was not. In total I believe we have spent over $10,000 on fertility treatments.
Describe Nina Resetkova's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Our physician explained to us that given my age, the likelihood of multiple pregnancy was low as we would likely lose 1/2 of the embryos transferred. If we retrieve more than 5 eggs that successfully fertilize we will wait until day 5 if possible and transfer 2, if we get less then 5 we will transfer on day 3 and will transfer up to 3 embryos based on quality.
Nina Resetkova
South Shore (closed)

She [Dr. Murphy] is very informative. She answers every question you have with a straight answer. She doesn't give false hope and she will tell you what to expect. Even with only one failed round, I am very eager to start my next round with her as my doctor because this is not an 100% chance thing and with her as my doctor I feel like my odds increase!
Boston ivf is very clean, organized, and friendly. The office is warm and inviting. They support any kind of couples. The nurses and doctors are great with names and faces with all the people they see daily. ... Dr. Murphy suggested 1 embryo transfer because of my age and heath. ... I can't remember her name but she was the beta nurse, always called me early on the days I went in for ultrasounds. Always called me back within the hour if I had a question for her.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
She is very informative. She answers every question you have with a straight answer. She doesn't give false hope and she will tell you what to expect. Even with only one failed round, I am very eager to start my next round with her as my doctor because this is not an 100% chance thing and with her as my doctor I feel like my odds increase!
Ask her any questions you have. She will always answer you.
Dr. Murphy was very kind and always answered my questions even if I thought they were stupid questions. She made me feel like no question is stupid. She gave me everything I needed to know and didn't give me false hope.
In my cycle I used menopur, ganirelix, and follistim for my egg retrieval. I got 19 eggs, 8 were fertilized and 4 made it to day 5. 1 was transferred, 2 were frozen. I started progesterone the day after my egg retrieval until after my negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
I reached my out of pocket maximum because of a surgery I had prior to starting ivf so I didn't have to pay much for ivf. My lifetime max is 25k and meds is 10k, I reached my med maximum very quickly but I paid nothing for almost all of the medications, except 1 that wasn't covered and my nurse got me a very good price.
Dr. Murphy suggested 1 embryo transfer because of my age and heath.
Brookline Fertility Center

She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] is very straight forward with information, but also explains everything well. Interactions with her are limited. Her personality isn’t very warm, but you can still tell she does care an did compassionate about what you’re going through. She doesnt seem to be open to my suggestions sometime as I’m not a healthcare professional. She recently emailed to check on me during the pandemic which was surprising, but very nice and thoughtful!
Their [Boston IVF] online portal need a lot of help. I wish they would utilize it more to get information to their patients quicker. They are clean and organized. Their method of sign in is good if it’s looked at carefully by the nurses (I’ve been skipped before). Everyone I’ve interacted with at both locations have been very warm and helpful...No one checked in on me and how i was doing during and after each cycles result.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She is very straight forward with information, but also explains everything well. Interactions with her are limited. Her personality isn’t very warm, but you can still tell she does care an did compassionate about what you’re going through. She doesnt seem to be open to my suggestions sometime as I’m not a healthcare professional. She recently emailed to check on me during the pandemic which was surprising, but very nice and thoughtful!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Don’t let your initial reaction to her personality steer you away. She does know what she is doing and she does care, even if it can seem like she doesn’t.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
I only got to speak with her twice in the last few months. No one checked in on me and how i was doing during and after each cycles result.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We were given a treatment plan of injections and IUI procedure. Cd 3 start Gonal-F, ultrasound scans and bloodwork every other day, once follicles we’re mature take Ovidrel (trigger shot) then scheduled IUI. We did this twice with a negative result. We were set to try a 3rd time but the pandemic happened. The reason for 3 was insurance purposes. She said she felt confident that we would have good results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brynna )
She is very compassionate and takes the time to answer all questions. She also calls back in timely fashion.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their online portal need a lot of help. I wish they would utilize it more to get information to their patients quicker. They are clean and organized. Their method of sign in is good if it’s looked at carefully by the nurses (I’ve been skipped before). Everyone I’ve interacted with at both locations have been very warm and helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
Consultation cost us $150.00 out of pocket. Each medication was $30 per refill/per drug. I haven’t received full billing amount for all cycles yet.
Carla DiGirolamo
Westboro Fertility Center

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
The first appointment [with Dr. Penzias] was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next...We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance
She [Boston IVF nurse] is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean...I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic...I have a copay for each appointment. IUI we paid for out of pocket at roughly $500. The drugs were $500. This came as a surprise to us
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
The first appointment was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next. Until Covid it was very hard to get an appointment and normally required one month wait. This feels like forever when battling a ticking body clock. I liked that he used my data to figure out next steps. I did not feel especially like the treatment was custom made for me but we have not yet been able to start an IVF cycle. It was nice that he tried to enrol us in a clinical trial.
Make a list of all your questions before you go in else the appointment will be very short and you will feel unsatisfied
The first appointment was really helpful. He was very kind in the last appointment as I have been waiting so long. Dr P likes statistics and sometimes I feel like I am one of them.
We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance. This was more of our decision due to cost. I feel like if we had insurance we would have jumped straight to IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
I feel like I speak to my nurse at least a couple of times per month as i have so many period issues. She is very helpful and clear and gets back to me very quickly. She is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean. I have never called any medical professional this much and I don't get the feeling I am bugging her
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic. The Domar center is an awesome resource and I think it would be helpful to advertise their services particularly the mind body program more prominently. The weakness is that they are so busy it is hard to get appointments to see the doctor.

2019 - 2020, 13 Eggs Frozen
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Berger took the time to understand my condition. He listened to me and diagnosed something I had my entire adult life and had gone undiagnosed for years...Within minutes of speaking with me and looking at my results he had determined that I had lean pcos. As he described symptoms that I’d had my entire life, I was in disbelief that someone I’d met minutes before had finally figured me out...
[Boston IVF is] Organized kind and helpful. Note that they are extremely busy (you may have to wait a bit to see Dr. Berger for first apt so do not hesitate to call now) but always call back as promised and are extremely helpful with scheduling...I did egg retrieval which was self pay. I believe cost was around $6,500 plus drugs...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Where to begin? I started my egg freeze process just about one year ago with a different doctor. All of my initial labs came back great. My first and second round of treatment ended with a terrible result (compared to what was expected). I ended up with only 3 mature eggs each time. The doctor I was seeing at the time diagnosed me with unexplained diminished ovarian reserve and more or less wrote me off. At this time, I went to Dr. Berger for a second opinion. Within minutes of speaking with me and looking at my results he had determined that I had lean pcos. As he described symptoms that I’d had my entire life, I was in disbelief that someone I’d met minutes before had finally figured me out. I was relieved but cautiously optimistic because of 2 bad cycles with the previous doctor. I began treatment for pcos. I just got back from my cycle with dr. Berger. I had 16 eggs retrieved and 13 frozen. That is four times what I got in my two previous cycles. I am so thankful I found Dr. Berger. Had I not gone to him for a second opinion I may never have known I had pcos and might have never figured this out. Additionally, he was extremely kind and informative. I cannot recommend him enough. Thank you Dr. Berger !!!!
Put your faith in his expertise!
Metformin to treat pcos Began estradiol one week before cycle day 1 Gonal f with decreasing dosage as treatment went on Low dose hcgc Certrotide Ovradil to trigger
Kind and helpful!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Waltham

Dr. Sneeringer recommended eSET for our first transfers, but after 2 unsuccessful tries, was open to transferring two for us...we appreciated her kindness and bedside manner. She was always up to date on our case, empathetic, and confident. She was open to any and all questions, and was thorough in explaining things to us. She tailored my testing to me specifically based on family history (adding some additional genetic tests after discussing my mother's fertility history)
Boston IVF is definitely a huge clinic, but we wanted that. We wanted a clinic that was invested in our success. Make sure you get to know your nurse coordinator, and know that you'll always leave a message on the nurse line and it will be returned in a timely manner. All of the lab and ultrasound staff are amazing as well. Morning monitoring is a seamless procedure at Boston IVF.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was a great fit for us, we appreciated her kindness and bedside manner. She was always up to date on our case, empathetic, and confident. She was open to any and all questions, and was thorough in explaining things to us. She tailored my testing to me specifically based on family history (adding some additional genetic tests after discussing my mother's fertility history).
Dr. Sneeringer was very kind, and we always appreciated our consultations with her. We felt supported by her and her team.
I did a basic antagonist protocol - 10 days of BCP, then 11 days of Gonal-F with the last 5 days adding Cetrotide. I did Ovidrel trigger for all procedures. She kept me on a mid-range protocol and wanted middle-of-the-road results for me, which she said we achieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was excellent, all of my medications were ordered without hiccup. My calls were always returned in a timely manner, and even weekend and after-hours staff were wonderful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
My care was completely covered by my insurance, except for my deductible for my egg retrieval.
2017 - 2020, Unsuccessful
During the first IUI cycle [with Dr. Pauli], we started with the lowest dose and incremented up until I was on the highest dose plus dexamethasone. For our egg retrieval, he had me do an antagonist protocol with Cetrotide. I don't know the rationale for this protocol over others, but I responded will in terms of follicles/mature eggs produced...he strongly suggested elective single embryo transfers for the first two transfers. After that, he seemed more amenable to doing a multiple embryo transfer if I pushed for that but still recommended single embryo transfers.
A few times I have not received a call [from Boston IVF] with details about the results of some diagnostic tests. I also had an incident during my third IUI where I received a false result. A mechanical malfunction caused my beta result to be recorded as positive rather than negative...is a large fertility clinic, which has advantages and disadvantages. One of the pros is that monitoring and time sensitive procedures (IUIs, retrievals, transfers) happen every day of the week, and with the exception of scheduling consultations with my RE, I'm able to schedule tests/procedures without huge delays/waits. The cons are that care may not be as personalized as it is at smaller clinics with fewer patients.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli has been fantastic. I really appreciate his straightforward manner. He's approach tends to be more conservative and while I have not gotten pregnant yet, I don't think this is a reflection of his clinical skills.
Ask lots of questions. Dr. Pauli always seemed willing to answer all my questions and explain his rationale for my treatment plans, and asking questions helped me to understand.
Dr. Pauli has really listened to my concerns, answered my questions compassionately, and was receptive when I asked about alternative transfer protocols.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did three IUIs with Dr. Pauli using letrozole, which he selected because the academic research indicates women with PCOS tend to respond better to letrozole than clomid. During the first IUI cycle, we started with the lowest dose and incremented up until I was on the highest dose plus dexamethasone. For our egg retrieval, he had me do an antagonist protocol with Cetrotide. I don't know the rationale for this protocol over others, but I responded will in terms of follicles/mature eggs produced. On retrieval day, we got 21 eggs, 16 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, and 6 embryos frozen on day 5. I did develop mild OHSS. For the first two frozen embryo transfers, Dr. Pauli had me on a birth control and Lupron down regulation then estrogen in increasing doses before starting progesterone in oil after a lining check. Both transfers resulted in negative betas. We switched to ovulation induction with letrozole and an HCG triggers shot for the third embryo transfer, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I stopped responding to letrozole, so we switched back to the original transfer protocol and did an ERA, which showed that I was 1 day pre-receptive and needed an additional 24 hours of progesterone. Our fourth embryo transfer resulted in a missed miscarriage between 6 and 8 weeks. Fifth transfer resulted in a negative beta test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicki)
Nurse Nicki primarily manages my care, and she has been fantastic. Occasionally, one of the other nurses on Dr. Pauli's team will manage my care and they have also been great. They almost always return my call on the same day if not within an hour or two of leaving a message.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
BostonIVF (which merged with IVF NE a couple years ago) is a large fertility clinic, which has advantages and disadvantages. One of the pros is that monitoring and time sensitive procedures (IUIs, retrievals, transfers) happen every day of the week, and with the exception of scheduling consultations with my RE, I'm able to schedule tests/procedures without huge delays/waits. The cons are that care may not be as personalized as it is at smaller clinics with fewer patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
My insurance has covered the majority of my costs.
In my situation, he strongly suggested elective single embryo transfers for the first two transfers. After that, he seemed more amenable to doing a multiple embryo transfer if I pushed for that but still recommended single embryo transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A few times I have not received a call with details about the results of some diagnostic tests. I also had an incident during my third IUI where I received a false result. A mechanical malfunction caused my beta result to be recorded as positive rather than negative.
Gloucester (closed)