6.6

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Dr. Ryley certainly knows what he's doing, so I really trusted him to manage my care. However, it was so hard to get an appointment and when I was with him, I always felt the ticking clock in the background. He would talk so fast and overwhelm me with information, so I never had time to fully process and formulate questions I wanted to ask. As a result, many questions went unanswered, which was very stressful and at times upsetting, especially when things did not go as expected during some of my treatment.
Jess was a fantastic nurse. She was the only person [at Boston IVF] I knew how to contact and would always respond to me in a timely manner with answers to my many questions...is a total factory: you just get on the conveyor belt and go. There's very little personal touch, and no one is going to hold your hand through the process. That said, they have this down to a science and it's very easy to get your monitoring appointments and results, medication shipped to you, etc. It's definitely a trade-off, but I would opt for a smaller clinic next time because the personal touch outweighs the efficiency for me.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Do not expect to have your hand held throughout this process. You will get very efficient, high quality care, but he is not there to guide you through it. Be your own advocate and go into each appointment prepared with questions and don't be afraid to take all the time you need with him, even if it feels like he's trying to rush you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was always really great in our human interactions; however, I think Boston IVF on the whole treats its patients like numbers vs. humans. When I had logistical complications during my IVF cycle, there was literally no one I could reach out to who I felt would want to help me. Dr. Ryley is impossible to get an appointment with, so everything takes so much longer than it should. That said, Dr. Ryley was very straightforward with me about our odds and as a result I felt like I could really trust that he wasn't giving us false hope. He was very realistic but also very positive and encouraging. There were just so many times when we felt totally lost and alone in the process and wish we had gone to a smaller clinic for a more human touch.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My husband and I have unexplained infertility, so we started with 3 medicated IUIs (with Clomid days 3-7) and then moved on to IVF (Gonal-F, Menopur, and Cetrotide). All IUIs were unsuccessful. My IVF round led to only 5 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized, and 2 made it to day 5 blastocysts. One was transferred and one was frozen for later transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Young)
Jess was a fantastic nurse. She was the only person I knew how to contact and would always respond to me in a timely manner with answers to my many questions. I really appreciated her patience and organization when it came to managing my care through a very stressful process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a total factory: you just get on the conveyor belt and go. There's very little personal touch, and no one is going to hold your hand through the process. That said, they have this down to a science and it's very easy to get your monitoring appointments and results, medication shipped to you, etc. It's definitely a trade-off, but I would opt for a smaller clinic next time because the personal touch outweighs the efficiency for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
My IUI and IVF cycles were fully covered by my insurance, so I only had to pay for medication and appointment co-pays out of pocket. This wound up being maybe $300 for all 3 IUI cycles plus 1 IVF cycle.
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Ryley strongly advised we just transfer one embryo given my age.
Boston

Dr. Riley knows his stuff, and also knows I am a scientist who understands the background research and statistics. It took us a couple of tries to fully understand one another's styles but once we did we had a great report and he is always well-prepared having reviewed my particular history and needs, and willing to listen carefully to any of my questions. We joke around and I now never leave without feeling like we have fully discussed everything I had hoped to and that he has tailored his answers and advice to my situation.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Try to self-reflect ahead of time on your needs and what you are hoping to get out of any particular appointment, and make sure you can clearly express those. He seems very willing to adapt his general style to fit those so you can have the best, most informed experience possible.
Dr. Riley is an award-winning Medical Professor with Harvard Medical School, and up to date on all relevant research. He explains the stats and rationalization for each protocol and step suggested, but I never feel like he wouldn't consider other options if I requested them and they were within the range of approaches he feels are medically appropriate. GIven my age (41 when I started IVF) and not great numbers, we started with an aggressive cycle of estrogen priming, Gonal-F, Medipur, and Cetrotide, along with Ovidril to trigger. The first cycle could have been worse but we decided to change things by trying low dose HcG in place of the medipur. This cycle worked better. For the third we decided why mess with what had worked about as well as we could have expected so we kept it the same, but it went very poorly. Given my age it seems this is not uncommon. If I do another cycle we will try a Lupron Flare protocol, which he figured has about a 50/50 chance of working better but we can't know until we try. I had the option of sticking to the prior plan if I wanted to. We also always have a plan in place for how many embryos to transfer and on which day (as I'm doing fresh cycles) ahead of time. For example, if I have less than four embryos on Day 1 the plan would be to transfer two-three on Day 3. If I have four or more we go to day 5 and transfer 2, and freeze the others if I get more (so far I haven't). If I have extras I have elected to do PGS testing, but I can change my mind at any point if I choose not to. (Though I have given a deposit.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
My primary nurse (and former primary nurse) have been wonderful in just about every way. Occasionally when someone else has filled in there has been some confusion where they are telling me something different than what I understood from my primary nurse and doctor.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a large fertility center with several locations, though only one (or a few?) do surgeries. Some folks don't love that it feels like a factory and that it may never be your own doctor doing your retrievals, transfers. etc. Personally I love the clinic and after about a month of understanding their whole system I settled into a good routine with them and knew who to call when for what. One benefit of using such a large IVF-only clinic is that they are open 7 days a week no matter what. You can schedule your labs and ultrasounds before work. Your results are posted on the patient portal within a few hours and your main nurse (or very occasionally doctor if it's bigger news that might involve a decision) calls you. I am in and out of appointments in minutes and the majority of the staff including phlebotomists are wonderful and get to know you once you've become a frequent flyer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Massachusetts is extremely lucky to require some infertility coverage through insurance, though policies can vary. To date then, there have been relatively few costs (PGS testing deposit was the main one) but as I may be aging out of my current insurance, I assume the numbers will be similar to those at other big clinics around the country. I have not yet done all the pricing but I am sure it is available.
He bases his suggestions on the statistics available for patient's ages and numbers. So for someone like me over 41 with not great hormone levels, an SET is not recommended. The stats of having multiples with multiple untested embryos are so small, and the risk of trying to freeze, test, and thaw the only extra one or two embryos doesn't seem worth it. That said, and I have asked, if I preferred to only do an SET he would.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Just the very occasional hearing from a nurse filling in for my main nurse giving slightly different information that it sounds like are more in line with their usual doctor's orders than mine. I have followed up with my own nurse and doctor to clarify.

2013, Successful
I felt like Dr. Zimon really listened to me and took my concerns seriously...She explained everything we needed to know about IVF, the risks, the benefits, and the odds of it working for us. She was cautious going into our first cycle (maybe too cautious) and we found out I was a poor responder to meds. She was open to adjusting my protocol and she was open to trying different things...I met with her several times
The clinic policy [at Boston IVF] was eSET if patient was under 35 and first IVF cycle, so we followed that recommendation for our first transfer...Being at the big clinic was far less personal, but they were organized and usually running on time. For egg retrieval and transfer, you had the doctor that was on that day, not necessarily your usual doctor, so I saw several doctors over my course of care.
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
I came to Dr. Zimon after already being treated by another doctor in another state. I wasn't new to infertility or treatments, so we hit the ground running. We had some insurance hoops to jump through (like trying IUI one more time) and she was patient through all that. She explained everything we needed to know about IVF, the risks, the benefits, and the odds of it working for us. She was cautious going into our first cycle (maybe too cautious) and we found out I was a poor responder to meds. She was open to adjusting my protocol and she was open to trying different things. I met with her several times and she always listened to my concerns and took the time to answer all my questions. She did my first egg retrieval, and we only had one egg retrieved, but she took the time to talk to me about everything and called me personally when that egg didn't fertilize. She celebrated with me when we had successes and shared my disappointment with failed cycles. I felt like she was a good balance between honest and direct but also compassionate. We ultimately ended up with twins after our third retrieval and second transfer, so I'm glad she was willing to try different protocols until we found what worked.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Come to appointments prepared with a list of questions and be ready to take notes. It can be a lot of information at once.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
I felt like Dr. Zimon really listened to me and took my concerns seriously. I had already done several rounds of treatment before starting with her, so she respected that I knew what I was talking about and had experience. I never felt rushed at my appointments. Getting bloodwork and ultrasounds done, it was easy to feel more like a 'number' just due to the sheer number of patients they saw at my clinic, but Dr. Zimon was very personable.
Describe the protocols Alison Zimon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
First cycle: antagonist protocol. Started low and slow, very little response to meds (Bravelle and Menopur). Tried upping the dosage, with some response. I have some symptoms of PCOS, so I think she was worried I would over-stim, but since I have DOR, that wasn't an issue. Only 1 egg was retrieved and it didn't fertilize, so nothing to transfer that round. Second cycle: no birth control pills taken prior to cycle start, since I was over-suppressed. Switched to an estrogen priming protocol with much better response and upped my dosage of Bravelle, continued Menopur. 8 eggs were retrieved, 5 fertilized. Elective single embryo transfer on day 5, 2 embryos were frozen. Negative pregnancy test. Third cycle: Dr. Zimon recommended another fresh cycle, so we left 2 embryos frozen and did the EPP again. My dose of Bravelle was upped again, I think to the max recommended dose. 6 eggs were retrieved, 4 mature, 2 fertilized. Dr. Zimon recommended a 3 day transfer (clinic policy with less than 4 embryos on day 2). We transferred both embryos on day 3, both were 8 cells. One was good quality and the other was showing some fragmentation. They told us that embryo likely wouldn't survive to day 5, and if it did, wouldn't meet the freeze criteria, so we decided to transfer both. Both embryos implanted and I gave birth to twin girls at 37 weeks 4 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
I loved Karen. She was kind and loving and compassionate. She had been through infertility treatments herself, so her empathy was strong.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I liked that they had early morning appointments for monitoring (starting at 6:45am). The front office staff was always nice. I did most of my cycle monitoring at the South Shore clinic, but weekend monitoring and all procedures were done at the main location in Waltham. Being at the big clinic was far less personal, but they were organized and usually running on time. For egg retrieval and transfer, you had the doctor that was on that day, not necessarily your usual doctor, so I saw several doctors over my course of care. I didn't mind this, I liked the additional perspective on my cycles and they all seemed to be on the same page as far as treatment recommendations. I liked that they had a no-children allowed policy for their clinic waiting rooms.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Monitoring was done first thing in the morning, I liked the early appointments. It was organized and the wait time was never long.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
I think the total cost for the cycle was around $12.500. We had insurance coverage, so our OOP was around $1500. I know ICSI was going to cost us an extra $1500, but our insurance ended up covering it. We were quoted $4500 for PGS, but didn't ended up using it (not recommended based on our diagnosis, but cost would have been prohibitive). Retail for meds was over $6K per cycle, I paid about $1K in co-pays per cycle for meds.
Describe Alison Zimon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
The clinic policy was eSET if patient was under 35 and first IVF cycle, so we followed that recommendation for our first transfer. She seemed very supportive of eSET, especially because we were concerned with the risks of multiples. She explained that the cost of multiple transfers would be potentially less that the cost of a high risk pregnancy and/or premature babies. After our eSET transfer failed, she was open to us transfering 2, but she let us know that the risk of multiples went up more than the probability of pregnancy.
Alison Zimon
Boston

I liked [Dr. David Ryley] but hated BostonIVF and because of a lot of errors. Each time Dr Ryley apologized for theses errors and told me that he couldn’t be with me each step of the way because of patient volume. He is a nice person but he is practicing in the wrong place... had a great bedside manner but BostonIVF is a large organization that doesn’t make patient individual care a priority. You see so many doctors and PAs that aren’t your direct care provider and it makes the process extremely hard and stressful to manage.
we found out they [Boston IVF] accidentally billed the wrong insurance and are refusing to take ownership and are trying to charge us over $15,000 for IVF and transfer when I had 2 insurances!!!! They do not document well and each department makes mistakes they cover up!...They do not internally communicate well and documentation is a problem...We had an early miscarriage and when we went for follow up, they found they had “lost” the other embryo in thaw. I was shocked and so upset they didn’t tell me and took the opportunity to discuss what we should have done during transfer.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I liked Dr Ryley but hated BostonIVF and because of a lot of errors. Each time Dr Ryley apologized for theses errors and told me that he couldn’t be with me each step of the way because of patient volume. He is a nice person but he is practicing in the wrong place.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do research and when things feel wrong or you think things are being handled poorly speak up. I felt I gave them so many times to mend relationships because of errors and felt like I had to stay with the practice but I was wrong! No one knows you like you do and you have to put yourself first! Leave and find a different practice if things aren’t right!!!
Dr Ryley had a great bedside manner but BostonIVF is a large organization that doesn’t make patient individual care a priority. You see so many doctors and PAs that aren’t your direct care provider and it makes the process extremely hard and stressful to manage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Heidi up front didn’t like me because I was a nurse and had very specific questions. I felt she would speak to me very poorly, not return my calls at times or call me right before leaving so if I missed her call I wouldn’t speak to her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They appeared from the outside that they were this amazing world class facility and I went to them because I thought I would be cared for. They do not internally communicate well and documentation is a problem.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There were multiple small errors that occurred during my time at BostonIVF but always seemed to catch them before being a problem myself. We did a FET has 2 PGS embryos. We were told on the day of transfer everything was perfect. We had struggled to develop a thick lining but my doctor stated because we would do a single transfer we could go ahead. We placed our embryo and knew we had one left frozen. We had an early miscarriage and when we went for follow up, they found they had “lost” the other embryo in thaw. I was shocked and so upset they didn’t tell me and took the opportunity to discuss what we should have done during transfer. They also couldn’t give me specifics about what happened that day and had no documentation. We left the practice after that. Then we found out they accidentally billed the wrong insurance and are refusing to take ownership and are trying to charge us over $15,000 for IVF and transfer when I had 2 insurances!!!! They do not document well and each department makes mistakes they cover up!
Boston

I see Dr. Berger as a remote patient--he is in Boston and I live in NY. I went to him for a second opinion after positive referrals, and liked him so much we stayed with his office despite the difficulty of added coordination being in separate cities....I have a very low AMH and low medication response. The most recent cycle and the one that yielded the most success (12 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized, 3 PGS normal, 2 transferred thus far, 0 implanted), consisted of: estrogen patch priming protocol, stim Gonal F
Boston IVF is a very well-run facility. They are flexible with remote patients, helping to coordinate outside monitoring, etc. The staff is compassionate and helpful. Like any large clinic you will be seen by a number of different doctors for retrieval and transfer if doing IVF....The nursing team was very responsive and kind. There are a few different nurses working with Dr. Berger and I can usually get the answers I'm seeking. They also allow email communication, which is extremely helpful
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I see Dr. Berger as a remote patient--he is in Boston and I live in NY. I went to him for a second opinion after positive referrals, and liked him so much we stayed with his office despite the difficulty of added coordination being in separate cities. We have not had success yet, but we have had more positive progress than we had at Weill Cornell, and better understand the course of treatment and possibilities for us. He is more willing to change protocols than my previous doctor, trying for the optimal response given my low AMH.
Ask about changes in protocols if you are unsatisfied--he is very willing to discuss.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger is very patient and considerate. He is empathetic. While most of our calls open with him saying I wish we were discussing better news, it feels genuine each time. You can tell he is very committed to his patients.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I have a very low AMH and low medication response. The most recent cycle and the one that yielded the most success (12 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized, 3 PGS normal, 2 transferred thus far, 0 implanted), consisted of: estrogen patch priming protocol, stim Gonal F (600 for 6 days, 450 2 days, 375 2 days), 50 low dose HCG (10 days), cetrotide (4 days).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meghan)
The nursing team was very responsive and kind. There are a few different nurses working with Dr. Berger and I can usually get the answers I'm seeking. They also allow email communication, which is extremely helpful especially when traveling and unable to call during working hours. During active treatment cycles, there seems to be a trend in the time of callbacks with "news" - early calls are positive calls, the bad news comes late in the day. That may not be the case, but it usually pans out.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a very well-run facility. They are flexible with remote patients, helping to coordinate outside monitoring, etc. The staff is compassionate and helpful. Like any large clinic you will be seen by a number of different doctors for retrieval and transfer if doing IVF. Some have greater success than others when doing retrieval (as is likely common with all procedures). Comparatively, being at Weill Cornell in NYC for 3 years prior where I felt very much like a number vs a patient, and had a hard time communicating with my doctor, Boston IVF was welcome change and despite not having any success yet still feels like a step in a more positive direction.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
I was seen for monitoring at a clinic in NYC, Columbia Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
IVF Egg Retrieval/Freeze/ PGS= $7,750 + $3,900 (freeze) then $4,000 for future transfer (plus meds) Donor Egg is $12,000 plus medication and donor agency fee’s if you are using an agency ($7K to 15k could be more)
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I don't think we spent enough time on the pros/cons of single vs multiple. The thinking initially was that because they were PGS normal, implantation was more likely, so if transferring 2 you should really want twins.
Boston

2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
[Dr. Ryley] was great to work with, very thorough and very honest. He tried to make a little too much small talk for my husband's liking, but I found him very calming and very professional. When our first round of eggs from our egg retrieval turned out to be abnormal he was very sympathetic, he asked if we wanted to move on and didn't pressure us to do another round of IVF and egg retrieval. He did explain what they would do differently to help us get a better outcome.
I was diagnosed with cancer and told to speak to someone at Boston IVF to help preserve my fertility and give my husband and me the best chance to have a baby after treatment. Dr Ryley's office fit me in so quickly and were so helpful in this process....It's a very big operation with multiple offices, which is great because you can go to the one closest to your home for early morning ultrasounds, but if you need a weekend appointment you can only go to one specific clinic in Waltham, MA.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He was great to work with, very thorough and very honest. He tried to make a little too much small talk for my husband's liking, but I found him very calming and very professional. When our first round of eggs from our egg retrieval turned out to be abnormal he was very sympathetic, he asked if we wanted to move on and didn't pressure us to do another round of IVF and egg retrieval. He did explain what they would do differently to help us get a better outcome.
I would tell a prospective patient that he will give you a lot of information. Lots of statistics, probabilities, timelines etc.. If you're not someone who likes a lot of data it can be overwhelming, but its also important to know what the process looks like and what the chances are.
I was diagnosed with cancer and told to speak to someone at Boston IVF to help preserve my fertility and give my husband and me the best chance to have a baby after treatment. Dr Ryley's office fit me in so quickly and were so helpful in this process. Within a few weeks we were applying to oncofertility programs to receive reduced cost medications and undergoing IVF. After our first round of egg retrieval all of our eggs were abnormal, and Dr. Ryley was so nice and comforting about it. It made em feel like he cared about our journey as people and not just numbers and success for Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi Atherton)
Heidi was an amazing nurse to work with. So generous with her time and always available for questions. I cam to the office on the first day of shots and she sat with me while we went over the steps and as I mimed multiple times how to go through the process. she also made herself available to FaceTime with me that evening so she could watch what I was doing and offer assistance and answer questions. She seemed to put in a lot of time working with me to find oncofertility programs that would allow us to receive free or reduced cost medications.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's a very big operation with multiple offices, which is great because you can go to the one closest to your home for early morning ultrasounds, but if you need a weekend appointment you can only go to one specific clinic in Waltham, MA. And with the main office being in Boston parking can get really expensive, it costs $4-$7 to park at one location, and if they're running behind it can be even more. Though every office has a coffee machine - a small perk so you can spend your morning coffee money on parking and get free coffee in the office. Because of my cancer diagnosis they worked really hard to get me in quickly so that we could start right away, I believe I called on a Friday and saw the doctor the next Wednesday.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Because of my cancer diagnosis a lot of our treatment was covered by insurance or medication grants. Most of our routine payments were copays, or partially covered by insurance. We did opt for two items not covered by insurance: the ICSI procedure (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection -$2,500) and the PGTA (preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy - approximately $3,900 - final price dependent on the number of eggs retrieved).
Boston

We met with him [Dr. Toth] 3-4 times throughout our treatment...during the treatment process we most definitely felt like a number. We only heard from Dr. Toth when we made an appointment and visited the office. He never reached out in any other manner...And in a frustrating way he always reminded us that we were lucky to have one child and to focus on that fact as things progressed. We know we are lucky, but that didn't make it any easier to go through this process.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] provided very little information, usually without any context. For example one cycle we were unable to move forward with an IUI because of an "ovarian cyst", the nurse was unable to explain why it was a problem or what we should do about it. The location is Waltham is enormous, and very impersonal...Nicole [nurse] was wonderful to work with. She was easy to be in touch with and always advocating for us. We saw and heard from many nurses in addition to Nicole, for the most part they were good, however since we didn't see anyone regularly outside of Nicole it was mostly impersonal experiences.
How was your experience with Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Dr. Toth was warm and caring. He seemed engaged in our conversations and always wanted to know how we were doing and what was going on in our lives. However, we never heard from him unless we proactively made an appointment to see him in his office. While he was realistic about our chances of becoming pregnant, he never offered any guidance (like diet or lifestyle) outside of ambiguous medical information. And in a frustrating way he always reminded us that we were lucky to have one child and to focus on that fact as things progressed. We know we are lucky, but that didn't make it any easier to go through this process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Advocate for yourself. Make sure you have a way to hear from and contact Dr. Toth along the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Dr Toth was so warm and caring. We met with him 3-4 times throughout our treatment. However, during the treatment process we most definitely felt like a number. We only heard from Dr. Toth when we made an appointment and visited the office. He never reached out in any other manner. The nurses provided very little information, usually without any context. For example one cycle we were unable to move forward with an IUI because of an "ovarian cyst", the nurse was unable to explain why it was a problem or what we should do about it. The location is Waltham is enormous, and very impersonal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Nicole was wonderful to work with. She was easy to be in touch with and always advocating for us. We saw and heard from many nurses in addition to Nicole, for the most part they were good, however since we didn't see anyone regularly outside of Nicole it was mostly impersonal experiences.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF has done wonderful things for so many families. It's a huge facility/network with so many doctors and resources. However, it's very easy to feel like a number. The location in Waltham is huge and hard to navigate. It feels more like a factory than a doctor's office. It made us feel very uneasy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Toth at Boston IVF.
We were lucky that insurance covered a significant portion of our treatments.
Thomas Toth

2013 - 2018, Successful
My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI [with Dr. Carla DiGirolamo]...answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly...I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Digirolomo. She gave me a beautiful daughter, and now my husband and I are trusting her again with an IVF cycle. She is the most compassionate woman who is solid with her knowledge of fertility treatments and all of the above. She rocks!
I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that [at Boston IVF]...Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her...The staff are excellent and are always very nice...Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Be patient and ask lots of questions. I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that. They want you to have the tools and knowledge to make decisions and going to Boston IVF has been the best decision for my family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. D answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I started with IUI and we were ecstatic to find out that it took on the second cycle without medication. My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI. We waited a few years, dealt with a job loss and a stressful moment in our lives but got back on the horse so to speak. I have had a couple of setbacks and will be going to have a polyp removed to start IVF, but I couldn't be more thankful to have Dr. D and her team helping me through it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bryna)
Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The staff are excellent and are always very nice. The two things I would recommend are to have a direct number for the team and have the main number go on before 9 am. Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
We had it covered by insurance.
Boston

I heard very little from the doctor [Dr. Brian Berger]. It was nearly impossible to directly ask him any questions, they were all answered by the nurses...He’s very intelligent and seemed to have reviewed my chart thoroughly. He wasn’t always the most optimistic though- he was frank and honest. He didn’t seem to think outside the box at all though or try to come up with solutions for my unique situation. He was also always running hours late for his appts.
IVF cycle cost was $14,500, with PGS costing additional $3500 +/- depending on how many embryos were tested, plus the cost of medications ($4000) [at Boston IVF]...The doctor doing the transfer I did not know and until we arrived at the office we didn’t know how many embryos we had left. Then, in a split second they told us we had 2 but never offered us the option of transferring both. After, they said they always recommend transferring only 1 the first cycle.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Schedule your appts with him WAY in advance and try to coordinate so that HE is actually performing your procedures (retrival and transfers).
I heard very little from the doctor. It was nearly impossible to directly ask him any questions, they were all answered by the nurses. There were different nurses calling you all the time and almost never the same ones. None of them knew my particular situation completely. Whenever you called to ask a question, you always had to leave a voice mail and then the call had to be returned which made it difficult to get answers if you weren’t always available to answer your phone. This made it difficult to get answers and speak to an actual person about your questions.
He used Estradiol tablets at the end of your previous cycle for a week before your period. Then started Gonal-F on day 3, and then added low dose HCG after the first blood draw and U/S, followed by Cetrotide or Ganirilix for ovulation suppression. Then used Ovidrel for trigger. Followed by Crinone gel post transfer until blood test, 2 weeks after the transfer. I retrieved 13 eggs the first cycle, and 5 fertilized. By day 5 we had 1 embryo left to transfer. I became pregnant, but on U/S at 6 weeks, there was no fetus present and it was considered a blighted ovum. He recommended a D&C and sent the contents for genetic analysis to look for chromosomal abnormalities. We discovered the embryo had trisomy 16 and therefore was linked to miscarriage. The second cycle we retired 9 eggs after starting with a higher dose of gonal-F and using the same meds as prior. This time we only had 1 egg fertilize and transfered it on day 3, which was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were often not well educated and very dismissive of any concerns I had about the last
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It takes many weeks to schedule an appt so schedule early! They are capable of working with out of town patients and doing phone appts as well. They have multiple locations of offices for different doctors so be aware of that. The main office is in Waltham where they do all the retrievals and transfers, but they also have other smaller offices.
I did my monitoring appts at Albany IVF
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Because I’m an out of town patient, I had to drive in on the day 5, with the potential plan of doing a transfer, not knowing if we had any embryos left. Someone was supposed to cal be first thing in the morning (the embryologist or nurse, or someone!) to let us know if we should still proceed in or stay home. No one called us as planned! We finally were able to speak with someone when we were almost already there. Then no one would tell us the results until we were in the transfer room and ready for the procedure- legs in the air and all kind of situation. We had very little time to digest the information before the transfer just happened!

2014 - 2018, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Kuohung] was candid and professional but she handed off most of her tasks to her nurses. I only saw her to sign consent forms and she only called me to give me results after my cycle failed. However, she was prompt in answering questions over email when I felt that the nurses were not responding to me..The doctor also did not spend time walking me through the protocol. When it failed, she tried to hurry me into starting another cycle. I felt like it was just about generating more sales for them.
Boston IVF looks like it was just starting out. It’s office was under construction when I visited and their nurses were not organized at all. I got mixed answers when I called. I had to call to ask them when I could start because no one had gotten back to me... One nurse told me one thing while another told me different so I had to request that they provide me patient education and a treatment plan. When they had to double my dose, one of the nurses was nice enough to put aside samples for me so that I would have enough medication but I felt like I should never have been put in that situation in the first place. They didnt prompt me ahead of time to know what to expect, I had to ask if I knew.
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Wendy was candid and professional but she handed off most of her tasks to her nurses. I only saw her to sign consent forms and she only called me to give me results after my cycle failed. However, she was prompt in answering questions over email when I felt that the nurses were not responding to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Ask a lot of questions and talk through the regimen with her as sometimes the nurses give mixed responses
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
I had a great experience the first time around with New England IVF. After Boston IVF acquired them and since I moved, it was more difficult to get answers to my questions. The nurses didn’t spend as much time explaining next steps and I had to ask them to go over all the details with me mid cycle after I felt that I was getting mixed messages. The doctor also did not spend time walking me through the protocol. When it failed, she tried to hurry me into starting another cycle. I felt like it was just about generating more sales for them.
Describe the protocols Wendy Kuohung used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
The first cycle was Gonal F and then crinone after the transfer. It resulted in 7 follicles, then 3 embryos, 1 transferred and 2 frozen. I had 1 live birth. A couple years later, only one frozen embryo was viable and transferred. I used progesterone in oil at the time and disliked this regimen. Had I known that I had a choice, I would have picked the crinone but it was not discussed with me. This transfer failed. I went back a year later to start a fresh cycle and was put on follistem and lupron. I was not responding and my dose was doubled mid cycle. They had to freeze my cycle after the retrieval which obtained only 3 follicles. Only 1 follicle moves onto the embryo stage. They waited a few days to freeze it but unfortunately it did not make it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The first time I did it, was ha nurses at New England IVF walked me through each detail. The second time around Boston IVF did not do any patient education but just told me to watch videos online. I also didn’t know I had a choice between crinone or progesterone otherwise I would have definitely picked the crinone. The third time, the care just got worse. The nurses told me different things and no one got back to me to start the cycle, I had to call and ask them to start. One nurse told me one thing while another told me different so I had to request that they provide me patient education and a treatment plan. When they had to double my dose, one of the nurses was nice enough to put aside samples for me so that I would have enough medication but I felt like I should never have been put in that situation in the first place. They didnt prompt me ahead of time to know what to expect, I had to ask if I knew.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
We experienced issues with our insurance denying some services because paperwork was filed incorrectly. That caused delays and it made me nervous how much we were going to have to pay. When I needed more medication, I wondered if it was due to the nurses incompetence because it took me a week to get more medicine. I Also ended up paying for medicines which I did not use because my embryo did not make it to transfer. Had I been told what medicines to get when, I would not have gotten them
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My husband gave the receptionist consent forms which were lost and found days later. When I needed medication, they told me they had to wait for insurance to authorize it which took a week but I wonder if it was a delay on their part as well. They told me conflicting messages about my treatment regimen, when to start and how much. When I had questions, sometimes they needed clarification and had to call me back with a response
Wendy Kuohung
Boston
It may take a while to see results but in our case after our first cycle was canceled he [Dr. Ryley] definitely made adjustments for our next treatment and called me himself to explain why the cycle was canceled. ... We tried several medicated cycles, 3 IUIs after he explained that the odds really didn’t improve after that point, took a break and finally moved forward with IVF. For IVF we did an antagonist protocol with PGS testing and a frozen transfer of a day 5 embryo.
Heidi, Amanda, and now I forget the name of the other nurse [Boston IVF] I spoke with a lot, were so so wonderful. They were very clear with instructions, answered questions, and showed tremendous compassion. Heidi in particular just really seemed to care about our situation. The people doing the blood draws in Brookline were also tremendously compassionate!
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I would definitely recommend Dr. Ryley to a friend, as he was recommended to us. I think I would just be clear that you may not see him as often as you expect and he may also not do the procedures himself. But that was understandable given timing issues. I thoroughly appreciated his care and got the treatment we so desperately needed.
Just to manage your expectations. He is a wonderful doctor but not a magician. It may take a while to see results but in our case after our first cycle was canceled he definitely made adjustments for our next treatment and called me himself to explain why the cycle was canceled. He also called me to review how our embryos were progressing which meant a lot.
Dr. Ryley always asked how I was doing during our consultations and conveyed compassion and dignity and warmth. Also a sense of humor.
My husband and I drove the process and dr. Ryley did not push us towards IVF until we felt we were ready. We tried several medicated cycles, 3 IUIs after he explained that the odds really didn’t improve after that point, took a break and finally moved forward with IVF. For IVF we did an antagonist protocol with PGS testing and a frozen transfer of a day 5 embryo. It was successful!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
I cannot rave about the nurses working for Dr. ryley enough!!! Heidi, Amanda, and now I forget the name of the other nurse I spoke with a lot, were so so wonderful. They were very clear with instructions, answered questions, and showed tremendous compassion. Heidi in particular just really seemed to care about our situation. The people doing the blood draws in Brookline were also tremendously compassionate!
David Ryley
It was obvious that Dr. Berger genuinely cared about us. He would come into the office and have a conversation with us about every day life. He wasn’t just there to talk IVF business. I appreciated having a friendly conversation with him that wasn’t strictly IVF related...He is a compassionate human being that genuinely cares about his patients. You could tell he felt our pain when things didn’t go as planned and he felt our happiness when they did. I was sad to have to part with him when I was 6 weeks pregnant. He made me feel like there was hope when our first doctor didn’t. He gave me our miracle baby!
They [nurse at Boston IVF] were all super sweet and very friendly...There was only one time when I wasn’t notified of my next steps. But I don’t consider that as something that requires me to tattletale on them because I understand the amount of phone calls they receive and deliver each day...Considering the amount of people they have in and out of their clinic daily I would say that they are doing pretty well. Of course there are some things that I could complain about but I wouldn’t necessarily consider them as a weakness
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Be patient. Ask any and all questions. It will happen for you one way or another. We were told by my first IVF doctor that after my daughter was born my husband wouldn’t be able to keep going in producing sperm. Here we are 4 years later with our little miracle babe!
He is aggressive. But he knows his stuff and how knows what your body can handle. I just put all my faith in him!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They were all super sweet and very friendly. We attended the baby bowl right after we started seeing Brian Berger as our doctor. His nursing team was also in attendance at the baby bowl and were able to spot myself and my husband and made sure to come and say hi to us. I thought it was great how personal they were with us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Thankfully my insurance company covered almost all of our procedures due to my husband‘s condition. We however are required to pay for sperm and embryo storage
He was open to whatever we chose. But because I was healthy and young there was no need for multiples
2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Based on my diagnosis of DOR [by Dr. David Ryley] 2-3 embryos were thought to be best for transfer...Dr. Ryley has an excellent bedside manner. He is compassionate and friendly and explains the process well. I did not find him open to changing protocols nor did he seem particularly well versed in treating DOR...The last protocol I insisted upon; the first two were standard for the clinic and were attempted because women often respond differently to the 2 protocols.
My nurse [at Boston IVF] was not communicative regarding important parameters during my cycle (although other nurses were when she was not available to call.)...very efficient, wait times for monitoring are almost nonexistent, and retrievals and transfers run smoothly. Overall the clinic is very good. Based on my experience with one doctor, I would suggest that more alternative or atypical protocols be attempted, particularly in the case of conditions such as DOR.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Be your own advocate. Ask many questions, and insist on the treatment that you want. If you have a condition such as DOR, ask specifically what would differ in your treatment compared to women without DOR.
Antagonist protocol (I responded poorly), 2 micro-flare protocols (I responded better), and two A/ACP with estrogen priming protocols (I produced many more eggs). The last protocol I insisted upon; the first two were standard for the clinic and were attempted because women often respond differently to the 2 protocols.
Heidi was very personable and polite, but provided almost no information regarding parameters during the cycle such as follicle number, estrogen levels, etc., even when I specifically requested that I be provided this information (often, a voicemail is left when the patient is busy at work). I have since learned that many patients are provided cycle calendars (Heidi does not provide them), and following often complicated instructions is much more difficult in the absence of a cycle calendar. Other mistakes were made, such as the source of sperm (fresh or frozen) many times, which definitely increased my stress level during the process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is very efficient, wait times for monitoring are almost nonexistent, and retrievals and transfers run smoothly. Overall the clinic is very good. Based on my experience with one doctor, I would suggest that more alternative or atypical protocols be attempted, particularly in the case of conditions such as DOR.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Massachusetts covers IVF cycles almost fully. For freezing and storing samples, as well as copays for medications, our overall costs during 5 IVF cycles over the course of 2 years was approximately $2500.
Based on my diagnosis of DOR, 2-3 embryos were thought to be best for transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Of the many times a call needed to be returned to me, only once or twice was I not called back. One major issue was failure to record use of a frozen sperm sample for each IVF cycle. Out of 5 cycles, only once was this done correctly (requiring me to make several calls before these retrievals to correct the error.) My nurse was not communicative regarding important parameters during my cycle (although other nurses were when she was not available to call.)
Boston

During our first cycle [at Boston IVF], the financial coordinator left our paperwork on the fax machine (which was supposed to be sent to the insurance company for approval) and she left for vacation for 2 weeks, so it pushed our whole cycle back a few weeks and it kept me on birth control for way longer than I should have been. I had two nurses call with two different timelines to kick off the first cycle with conflicting recommendations. When I addressed it and asked which one I should go with, one nurse criticized the other nurse's plan.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Steven Bayer was great in the beginning with the game plan and giving us lots of hope in the treatment plan. After that point, we did not speak with him, see him or work with him until he called us with negative results. During our follow up meeting he did not seem hopeful or committed to finding the right solution.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Go to another clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Boston IVF felt like a factory, where my husband and I were just a number. Dr. Bayer did his best in the beginning to give us hope and lay out the game plan, but the first cycle was very disorganized (mainly with the financial coordinator and nurse instructions) and we did not talk to Dr. Bayer at all during the process until he called to tell us both cycles failed. Our last follow up appt with Dr. Bayer was very discouraging and he did not give us any hope.
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Birth control (which backfired), injections and a healthy lifestyle. Birth control to suppress the ovaries. Injections to stimulate follicle growth. A healthy lifestyle to give us the best possible chance.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were good at answering my questions when I had them, but in general, it felt a bit disorganized because there were several nurses on staff so I didn't feel anyone, in particular, was really monitoring my progress or had a handle on my treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
**to clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing a standard IVF process** Strengths: good reputation, big facility with local offices (e.g. they had an office in Quincy which was convenient for us for blood and ultra-sounds) and I loved their acupuncture team in the Domar center. Weaknesses: because Boston IVF is so massive, as a patient I felt like a number being funneled through a factory. No one really seemed to "own" us. Stephen Bayer was very disconnected from our process and my last follow up meeting with him to discuss our failed cycle was awful, not helpful/hopeful and he basically walked me out hysterically crying. I left feeling like a failure with no clear game plan, so my husband and I decided it was time to work with a new facility and team of doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Fortunately, our insurance covers up to 6 rounds of IVF and genetic testing due to my husband's translocation, so we only had to pay co-pays most of the time.
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Unfortunately, we didn't make it to this stage during either IVF cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. During our first cycle, the financial coordinator left our paperwork on the fax machine (which was supposed to be sent to the insurance company for approval) and she left for vacation for 2 weeks, so it pushed our whole cycle back a few weeks and it kept me on birth control for way longer than I should have been. I had two nurses call with two different timelines to kick off the first cycle with conflicting recommendations. When I addressed it and asked which one I should go with, one nurse criticized the other nurse's plan.
Boston

Overall my experience of him [Dr. Berger] is that he is conceited and too busy. When on the rare occasion we did get to see or speak to Dr Berger he seemed smug and smirked when you asked questions. My experience as a patient was that I was treated as a number. We had two failed IUI's and a miscarriage with our first IVF cycle and barely ever spoke to the actual doctor let alone see him. He has his nurses do everything...
During my 10 months under Dr Bergers [at Boston IVF] care we had something go wrong with every single appointment. From smaller things such as forgetting to book our appointments, calling and asking about procedures I didn't have, not remembering why I was in for certain appointments - to larger things like having me wait over an hour before an IUI transfer and not telling me why or that it was ok, nurses thinking I was doing a fresh transfer 5 minutes before surgery when we paid and signed for a freeze all PGS, cancelling appointments with the actual doctor 2 minutes after telling me I am miscarrying (just to name a FEW instances).
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Brian Berger was my first meeting about IVF. It took me 3 weeks to get an appointment to see him. During my initial IVF meeting, mixed with being new to it and Dr Berger putting on a show like he cared about me, I was excited to choose him as my doctor and get started on making a baby. Overall my experience of him is that he is conceited and too busy. When on the rare occasion we did get to see or speak to Dr Berger he seemed smug and smirked when you asked questions. My experience as a patient was that I was treated as a number. We had two failed IUI's and a miscarriage with our first IVF cycle and barely ever spoke to the actual doctor let alone see him. He has his nurses do everything. Which makes them seem overwhelmed and uninterested in patients as humans. During my 10 months under Dr Bergers care we had something go wrong with every single appointment. From smaller things such as forgetting to book our appointments, calling and asking about procedures I didn't have, not remembering why I was in for certain appointments - to larger things like having me wait over an hour before an IUI transfer and not telling me why or that it was ok, nurses thinking I was doing a fresh transfer 5 minutes before surgery when we paid and signed for a freeze all PGS, cancelling appointments with the actual doctor 2 minutes after telling me I am miscarrying (just to name a FEW instances).
Don't have high expectations
Of the 10 months I was under Brian burgers care I saw him a total of three times. One of which was only because the nurse that I know there insisted that he see us. You are not allowed to talk to the doctor. During the 2 1/2 months that are pregnancy consisted of he canceled appointments that were previously set to talk with him. Different nurses called me all of the time and everyone contradicted each other. No one ever knew who I was or why they were calling me. Does anyone look at a chart there?
Before beginning any IVF treatments Berger ordered us do blood tests, semen analysis and hysterosalpingogram to see how my Fallopian tubes were. Blood test came back good and tubes were open. At our follow up he said my husband had low morphology and that there is nothing to help that. Suggested we do anywhere from 1 to 3 IUI's then IVF. We did two IUI's - first one failed second was a chemical pregnancy. There was nothing done after these. No additional testing. No uterine exams. We proceeded with IVF cycle which we did egg retrieval process, freeze all with Pre genetic screening, and implant. Dr Berger used estrogen pills and patches as well as progesterone in oil and crinone. My lining was a problem as it wasn't getting thick enough but Berger never increased my dosage or checked my uterus. Just eventually said it was layered enough but never reached 8mm. After an abnormal pregnancy and miscarriage at 8 1/2 weeks my HCG levels were going down very slow - only thing done here was blood tests. I found out after I left Boston IVF that there was fluid in my lining. That was never brought to my attention at Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The only reason I kept my sanity with the nurses at Boston IVF was because I knew Dr Bergers nursing assistant and could text or call her with all my questions when they went unanswered. Other people wouldn't be that lucky. The nursing staff is young and they have high turnover. There were different nurses calling all of the time from Quincy and Waltham. They get agitated with questions and ALL of them contradict what the other says and what the Doctor says. When they call it's as if they don't even bother to open your file beforehand. They call and ask about procedures you didn't have, they call with results and don't even know why you were in for that appointment, they misplace documents, they forget to make your appointments and they lack compassion in every sense.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: they call when they say they will Weaknesses: take time to get insurance approval, takes weeks for an appointment with the doctor if THEY decide you can even have one, unorganized, lack compassion, contradict each other, it's run like a factory.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Covered by insurance. Insurance approvals took a while. They didn't willingly offer information if it required you to pay out of pocket. I think all options should be presented and the patient should decide if they want to pay for it or not
The doctor made it known that he doesn't promote multiple embryo transfer as there are risks involved. One of the NP's also have us a lecture on why not to do multiple embryo transfer. When we were approved by insurance for single embryo transfer I asked the financial coordinator if it doesn't work can we implant 2 next time - she said no. I then asked if my husband and I were willing to pay for a second embryo to be implanted could we do that and the financial coordinator said no. After our single embryo miscarriage I found out this was not true. We are absolutely entitled to pay out of pocket for embryo transfers.
Boston

Dr. DiGirolamo was very informative, straightforward, and matter of fact. She was compassionate and empathized with us, but focused discussions on the treatment. My husband likes numbers, facts, statistics, and focusing on the problem at hand while I prefer doctors who are friendly and make me feel like I matter. Despite these differences in preference, my husband and I both really liked Dr. DiGirolamo. She frequently let my husband and I discuss our options while she just listened quietly. She wouldn't interrupt us unless we asked her a question or she had relevant information to add. Also, she never tried to push us toward one treatment or option. She simply gave us the facts and let us make our own decision.
A strength of the clinic [Boston IVF] is that it seemed to be pretty state of the art and technically advanced (although I don't know how it actually compares to others). The clinic also felt professional and like a well-oiled machine (which can be a pro and a con)...There were maybe 2 or 3 people on the nursing staff that I dealt with frequently and then another 3 to 6 people I dealt with just once or twice. It was hard to keep them all straight. They were generally friendly and informative. My only way to contact them was by phone and they didn't always pick up, so that was annoying
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Make sure you write down your questions beforehand and ask everything you want to know more about. Sometimes she seems a bit rushed, but she will always take time to answer all of your questions and explain anything you don't understand.
The doctor gave us the information we needed to make decisions and was not judgmental. She empathized and answered all of our questions. She did seem a tiny bit rushed at times.
I did 2 rounds of IVF. The first cycle I used birth control pills for a month and then I think I did Lupron and Gonal-F injections once a day. The first cycle, many of the eggs retrieved were immature. Only a few embryos made it to Day 3 and we got a negative pregnancy test. Because of the low number of mature eggs, she changed my protocol for the second cycle. The second cycle I did not use birth control pills (she said it would suppress me too much). I forget what meds I used. During the stimulation period I had to do a micro-dose injection twice a day (Lupron?) and another injection (Gonal-F) once a day. I also had to wait a few hours longer between my trigger and retrieval than the first time, to let my eggs fully mature. I am now 14-weeks pregnant with a single baby.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
There were maybe 2 or 3 people on the nursing staff that I dealt with frequently and then another 3 to 6 people I dealt with just once or twice. It was hard to keep them all straight. They were generally friendly and informative. My only way to contact them was by phone and they didn't always pick up, so that was annoying, especially since infertility patients often have questions and are worried about everything. When I got a call about the test results (the negative and later the positive pregnancy test), the nurse who called with the news seemed genuinely disappointed/excited for me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the clinic recently changed ownership and their policies and procedures have changed for the worse. I had 2 IVF cycles (2 retrievals, 2 transfers), one in late 2016 and the other in early 2017. The first retrieval/transfer felt much more patient friendly than the second one. For the second retrieval, I felt much more like I was a number and they were trying to rush me out of there. An example is the first time they let me stay as long as I needed to recover and made sure I could pee before I left. The second time they got me out the door soon afterwards. The first time they had snacks in the waiting room and let me eat and drink as much as I wanted during recovery. The second time they still gave me a snack, but it was much more limited. They also used to have water and snacks in the waiting room for transfers and retrievals, but they didn't the second time I went. There wasn't even a pitcher of water in the waiting room anymore (which seemed silly since you're supposed to drink lots of water before a transfer). There were lots of little changes like these that felt like they were just trying to save money and made me feel like a number instead of a person. None of these things were deal breakers for me or that big of a deal, but it was disappointing to see these kinds of changes. A strength of the clinic is that it seemed to be pretty state of the art and technically advanced (although I don't know how it actually compares to others). The clinic also felt professional and like a well-oiled machine (which can be a pro and a con).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
The monitoring appointments were conveniently scheduled in the morning, so I could go before work (I think the hours were 6-9AM). It was kind of confusing how they scheduled the appointment times. They asked you to schedule a specific time, but then it was mostly just first come first served. It seemed like they didn't really care what time you were there during that window. For ultrasound appointments they seemed a bit more strict about the appointments and schedule. The blood work was kind of a free for all (first come first serve). Most of the time I only had to wait a few minutes (less than 10) to do the monitoring. Two or three times I had to wait for about an hour.
For each IVF cycle, the clinic charged $9000. My other costs (appointments, genetic testing, infertility testing, etc.) were a total of about $300 after my insurance coverage.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
My doctor did not say much of anything about this issue. I had done a great deal of research about it beforehand, on my own, and was strongly in favor of doing a single transfer. Maybe the doctor didn't discuss it with us because it was clear we understood the pros and cons. At one point my husband and I disagreed and looked to her to provide her medical advice (or to act as the tiebreaker), and she mentioned the pros and cons but said it was entirely up to us. We did decide to do a single transfer both times, but I wish she had been a bit more insistent about the importance of doing a single transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
For one cycle, they forgot to call me and tell me some important, time-critical test results. If I remember correctly, it was Day 2 and I needed to know if I was going in for a Day 3 or Day 5 transfer. No one called me all day. The paper instructions they gave me said to call a certain number if I hadn't heard anything by 6 PM. I called that number at 6:15, and an answering service person told me it was after hours and I would have to call back the next day. After arguing with the answering service person for a while, she finally let me talk to the on-call doctor. That doctor looked up my information and gave me the next instructions I needed for my treatment. The issue was resolved, but brought me to tears and added a lot of stress and anxiety to an already very stressful time.
2014 - 2017, Successful
We interviewed 2 doctors prior to Dr. Ryley and both tried to send us to the local LGBT clinic, which had an “education” program that was over a year long. Dr. Ryley took time to listen to us, to affirm our family, and to understand who we were not only as patients but as people...During our time with him he was 100% focus on us, our wellbeing, and our goal...There was only one thing we initially did not like about Dr. Ryley; if you don’t have the first appointment of the day, he is running late.
The parking was terrible [at Boston IVF], and the office was difficult to get to. We did have to travel to another office for our IUIs. The communication between the offices was excellent. Everyone was very respectful of our privacy and did everything possible to put us at ease and make us comfortable...Everyone was very professional but also friendly. We really felt like they were a valuable and caring part of our team.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
There was only one thing we initially did not like about Dr. Ryley; if you don’t have the first appointment of the day, he is running late. As we worked with him we understood that this is because of the time and care he takes with each person. We were never rushed through an appointment, he gave us all the information we needed in a clear and jargon-free manner. Dr. Ryley answered all of our questions completely and was always available if we had more. During our time with him he was 100% focus on us, our wellbeing, and our goal.
He’s worth the wait.
We initially used Clomid to bring on ovulation, but when that did not have the expected results we switched to Letrozole. My wife was still not ovulating normally so we used birth control pills to help “reset” her cycles. It took roughly 8 months to achieve ovulation, and the second cycle we got our first positive. We used the same protocol when we decided to have more children.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The parking was terrible, and the office was difficult to get to. We did have to travel to another office for our IUIs. The communication between the offices was excellent. Everyone was very respectful of our privacy and did everything possible to put us at ease and make us comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
With our first our out of pocket expenses were about $14,000. Insurance covered everything with our second.
Boston

We have met with Dr Thornton 3x over 7 months...She had the uncomfortable job of delivering life changing, devastating news - that couldn't have been easy. I was 28 and my blood work showed Premature Ovarian "Insufficiency" (Failure). She was clear that the odds of us conceiving naturally were about 5% if I was ovulating, which I was not. She's a straight shooter and I respect that about her. She didn't sugarcoat anything just to make us feel better and didn't create any sense of false hope. She was direct. There was no hand-holding. I felt that she had put the best plan together for my specific situation, and trusted her medical expertise.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
We have met with Dr Thornton 3x over 7 months. The initial consult was Dec 23, 2 days before Christmas, in the Worcester office. She had the uncomfortable job of delivering life changing, devastating news - that couldn't have been easy. I was 28 and my blood work showed Premature Ovarian "Insufficiency" (Failure). She was clear that the odds of us conceiving naturally were about 5% if I was ovulating, which I was not. She's a straight shooter and I respect that about her. She didn't sugarcoat anything just to make us feel better and didn't create any sense of false hope. She was direct. There was no hand-holding. I felt that she had put the best plan together for my specific situation, and trusted her medical expertise. Dr. Thornton felt that we needed to be aggressive and move straight to IVF. Anything less than that would be a waste of time. I appreciated that she felt the same urgency. We started the full panel of diagnostic testing 5 days later to rule out genetic disorder and prep for IVF. The 2nd time we met was in February at the Worcester office after all the diagnostic testing. The plan was to proceed with IVF knowing that we won’t get many eggs, but hoping that they will be excellent quality due to my age. The 3rd time we met was in April at the Waltham office after IVF Cycle 1 was cancelled during day 7 of stimulations, over a holiday long-weekend. My body sort-of responded, but nowhere near the anticipated response given near-normal AMH and Follicle count of 8 in January. The blood work/AFC counts didn’t line up with the results. She was clear that IVF only works when you have follicles that respond to stimulation. If you don’t have follicles to stimulate, IVF can’t help make eggs that aren’t there. We decided to do an estrogen-priming cycle, change the ratio of meds, and push the dosage to 600iu. We also decided to do a mock cycle to prep the paperwork for Donor Eggs and attend the Donor Egg seminar at BIVF in case IVF Cycle 2 didn't work.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Make the commitment and go to the Waltham office for the best care. All of the ultrasounds are recorded on video and it allows the doctors to see what the ultrasound tech sees in real time, significantly better than printed out screen-grabs, or handwritten data. Also be aware that if the odds of IVF working is 25%, that means that 75% of the IVF cycles are failing. Yes, IVF gives you a chance that you may not have otherwise had, but it's not a magic bullet and it doesn't fix everything. Keep your own log of everything - it will help you advocate for yourself. Write down notes, dates and times of appointments, names of the nurses, what the results were for all of the tests. Keep track of invoices and health insurance coverage - otherwise you may get stuck with the bill.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Cycle 1 at BIVF Worcester was a mess. The short version is that cycle 1 was cancelled due to poor response on stimulation day 7 on a Saturday, over a long holiday weekend, by nurse Tanya who seemed to have no idea what was going on. When we finally had the post-cycle consult, found out that Dr. Thornton did NOT cancel my cycle; she was on vacation. The on-call Dr. cancelled it. She said she would have made the same decision. As a patient under her care during the most critical time in an IVF cycle, we should have been alerted that she was going on vacation and been given the contact info of the on-call Doctor, all of which we told her. For Cycle 2 we made the decision to move all appointments to BIVF Waltham, and it was a completely different experience. It was well run, the nurses, ultrasound and blood techs were all great. We worked mainly with Kathy, Dr. Thornton's nurse in Waltham, and she was fantastic! Kathy was responsive, personable, and cared about us. She was also able to get in touch with Dr. Thornton when we needed her to, which was huge.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Birth Control Pill for 2 months while waiting for insurance approval. CoQ10 to help improve egg quality. Levothyroxine for thyroid (within normal range but higher than ideal for pregnancy). Continued prenatal vitamins. IVF Cycle 1: 450iu total does of stimulations. 300iu Gonal F Redijet Pen, 150 Menopur daily injections. Stimulation day 5, blood and ultrasound. AFC: 2 - 4 in left and right ovary. Estrogen 33. Nurse warned that cycle may be cancelled if estrogen didn't increase, but that it we had a chance. Stimulation day 7, blood and ultrasound. AFC: 2 - 4 in left and right ovary, 1 10mm follicle in left. Estrogen 80. Tanya (nurse) called - cycle cancelled. Mock Cycle to prep for Donor Egg in case IVF Cycle 2 doesn't work. Estrogen Patch, 2mg Estrace pill 2x daily for 3 weeks, then ultrasound/blood work to check AFC, uterus lining (8mm needed for Donor Egg cycle). Then Prometrium 200mg for 7 days to induce period. IVF Cycle 2: 600iu total dose of stimulations. Menopur 450 iu, Gonal F 150iu daily injections for 14 days Stimulation day 6, blood and ultrasound: AFC: 2 to 4 in left and right ovary. Estrogen 17.95. Instructed to continue injections, next appointment in 3 days. Stimulation day 9, blood and ultrasound: Left AFC: 2 to 4, Left Follicle: 11.7mm, Right AFC: One, Right Follicle: 10.14mm. Estrogen 183. Instructed to continue injections, next appointment in 2 days. Stimulation day 11, blood and ultrasound, Left AFC: 2 to 4, Left Follicle: 10.5mm Right AFC: One, Right Follicles: 15.47mm,14.24mm. Estrogen 370. Instructed to keep taking 450 menopur, 150 gonal F, add cetrotide 25mg to suppress ovulation. Next appointment in 2 days. Stimulation day 13, blood and ultrasound, Left AFC: 2 to 4, Left Follicle: 11.35mm Right AFC: 2 to 4, Right Follicles: 18.55mm,17.48mm. Estrogen 610. Instructed 450 Menopur, 150 Gonal F, and 25 of Cetrotide tonight. OR Nurse will call on Friday with instructions on when to inject Ovidrel (trigger) and schedule retrieval on Sunday! Stimulation day 14, Ovidrel 250mcg at 9:30pm Egg retrieval @ BIVF Waltham 36 hours later. Retrieved 2 eggs, 1 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of "textbook perfect, High Implantation Potential, 7-cell embryo". Begin crinone 8% daily until beta test. Period starts 1 day before beta test, instructed to continue crinone and come in for blood pregnancy test anyways. HCG 0.343 mIU/ml, negative. Follow up appointment scheduled in 12 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kathy )
Kathy was amazing. She was kind and on-top of all the details. During my mock cycle I had a very bad reaction to the estrogen (severe hot flash, extreme dizziness, nauseous) while I was traveling for work, and I was able to reach her via email through out the entire weekend. For the first time, somebody actually checked in on me to see how I was feeling or what the side effects were, and if I was OK to continue. It went a long way with me because she treated me like a person. And on top of that, she was able to coordinate a call with Dr. Thornton when I got home so that I could speak to her directly, which was very reassuring.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF Waltham is the best of the best. They have the best medical team, the best surgeons, the best nurses, embryologists, anesthesiologists, and the most experience. My best experience was with the egg retrieval and the embryo transfer. Dr. Riley did both the retrieval and the transfer, and he was amazing. His staff was also amazing - so kind and gentle, very reassuring that they would do everything in their power to help us make a baby, and I trust that they did. We were in very good hands. Boston IVF literally has video cameras in the embryology lab to watch each embryo so they don't have to disrupt them by handling the petri-dishes - that's amazing. They also gave us a photo of our 7-cell embryo, and did a mock transfer before the real transfer. We were able to watch the transfer on the ultrasound - the entire experience was incredible. They can't guarantee you that it will work, and in our case it didn't work, but know that it's the best team, with the best technology, and the most experience, and they are doing everything in their power to help you have a baby.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
over $50,000 for all diagnostic testing, cycle monitoring, medicine.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The errors happened at Boston IVF Worcester. Tanya was the nurse, and to be frank, she was terrible. I should mention that this was our 1st cycle, and we had no idea about anything IVF. We signed the contracts with Tanya on 4/1 and she confirmed that our prescriptions were "ordered and ready to go" and were instructed to call when I got my period. We assumed that the prescriptions were available and that we would pick them up as soon as my period started for CD 1, and stimulation would start CD3. When we called on CD 1 six days later, she asked if we had our prescriptions yet, which should have been a red flag, because she was the one that told us to wait and call her, which we did. Turns out that she sent our fertility prescription to a specialty clinic that wasn't covered by my insurance, and when I called her to tell her that they were denying me, she kept re-sending it to the same clinic, and telling me that it should be all set for the next day. On CD 2, I called the fertility clinic first thing (because the clock is ticking here! Supposed to start injections in 1 day!!! Talk about stressed) and they tell me that its never going to go through, and to call my health insurance. Call the health insurance and they also say that it's not covered at that pharmacy, and to have BIVF submit it to a different pharmacy that is covered. Call back Tanya and explain the whole thing and then it FINALLY goes through and we have to rush-ship it. The prescription finally arrives mid-morning cycle day 3. It was a terrible experience. It's the primary reason that we switched to the Waltham clinic. The receptionist in Worcester had no idea what was going on. The bloodwork in Worcester was a nightmare. They didn't open till 7am and by then there was a line of 8 - 10 women that were also cycling. Once I had to wait 1 hour to get my blood drawn. There was a different person working there every single time which made me think they had trouble staffing it.
Kim L. Thornton

2013 - 2016, Successful
Just make sure you consider factors besides bedside manner. He [Dr David Ryley] was very friendly and we connected on a personal level but ultimately we were not that happy with our experience at the clinic...Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they [staff at Boston IVF] had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
Just make sure you consider factors besides bedside manner. He was very friendly and we connected on a personal level but ultimately we were not that happy with our experience at the clinic.
He has a very good bedside manner. Almost too good - I think he was overly optimistic about our chances of success on multiple occasions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi or Susan depending on the cycle)
We were frustrated on multiple occasions at the lack of coordination and organization on the part of the nursing and administrative staff. Early on, we were very confused about several aspects of our cycles. For example, I was not confident that they had the timing of our first IUI cycles correct. Furthermore, they did not tell me in advance that I would have to schedule a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and that it would take weeks to get on his schedule. So we saw the nurse practitioner instead for the first few cycles, and it took several IUI cycles before we were able to address our concerns with the doctor and make changes.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
We were very concerned by a couple incidents. First, they had a typo that led them to miscount the number of vials of sperm we had used. This raised a number of red flags for us, as the only reason we have confidence that the baby inside us is in fact our own is our level of confidence in their data management system. Second, the insurance coordinator forgot to call us after getting approval for one cycle. I had to call her and she claimed she had called me several days previous because she "always did."
I had insurance
Boston
[Dr. David Ryley was] Very accessible and sympathetic, always expressing concern for success and well-being, open to my own thoughts and concerns, always took a lot of time to address and answer all my questions...He is very open and doesn't judge; he always answered all our questions carefully and was sympathetic to difficult / negative feelings and offered a positive outlook; he was available by phone even in the evening; he always tried to explain treatments so we would understand and used visual aids
Strengths [at Boston IVF] : clinic is very integrated and all processes are well established; billing is transparent; patient is educated and informed ahead of procedures; clinic works through several locations 7d/week Weaknesses: communication with staff can be tedious due to practice of having to leave messages and waiting for call back; this was especially difficult for egg donor who was employed and couldn't talk freely at her work place easily
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Don't automatically assume every woman over 40 years is "defective"; check if she could do a natural (unmedicated) transfer before administering typical protocols with hormones
Several strategies with bcp and different dosages of Bravelle plus Menopur, Gonal-F and Lupron as well as Ganirelix. Treatment of thin lining with various estrogen formulations (patches, tablets). Cycle leading to pregnancy was unmedicated with progesterone support after transfer.
Everyone was competent and tried to be supportive and helpful; some have more compassion and a warmer approach to patients than others
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: clinic is very integrated and all processes are well established; billing is transparent; patient is educated and informed ahead of procedures; clinic works through several locations 7d/week Weaknesses: communication with staff can be tedious due to practice of having to leave messages and waiting for call back; this was especially difficult for egg donor who was employed and couldn't talk freely at her work place easily
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Drugs were typically filled by specialty pharmacies and I didn't shop around: costs ran from 50-1000$ per cycle. Fees and procedures per OE and DE ran approx. 10-30,000$, but I had insurance coverage.
OE transfer was with multiple embryos; DE transfer with 2 frozen embryos per cycle. Future DE transfers will only be single embryo transfers.

2015, Successful
Dr.Ryley along with the staff there were very informative, answered all my questions, responded back to my numerous phone calls and reassured me with any doubts and worries along the way... Boston IVF in general was such a great experience with great staff overall.
[My Boston IVF nurse] must have been so busy so she never really picked up the phone but always called me back. If she was tied up for the day, she usually had another nurse call me back to answer my questions
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr Ryley is very friendly, informative and mostly, he listened to what my concerns seriously. I ended up putting 2 embryos back and was pregnant with twins at first but miscarried one of them at 9 weeks of pregnancy. When we were putting the embryos back in, he has explained to me that one of the embryos were much stronger than the other so it made sense that the weaker one just didn't make it and it wasn't meant to be. I was recommended to put 2 back in instead of just one for the likelihood of me getting pregnant doubles by doing so. And it was right, I sure am pregnant now with a singleton baby(third trimester now). One negative thing that I have experienced is the fact that I have suffered from Hyperactive Ovary Syndrome in the beginning of my pregnancy. I am a small person and have accumulated water in my lungs as well because of it. I called in to let Dr Ryley know right away and he told me to go to an ER right away. That's how I found out that I am actually pregnant (this was a very early stage)! Dr Ryley and his staff scheduled me an emergency quick surgery to drain the fluid out of my uterus (under the influence of anesthesia of course). The fluid in my lugs ended up draining on its own so I didn't need a surgery. It was a bit of a scare in the beginning but I command Dr. Ryley and his staff for their quick remedy and actions so that my symptoms won't be worse. Hyperactive Ovary syndrome is usually prevented by having the doctor watch your vital stats weekly(which was normal for me weekly) but my symptom actually occurred towards the end with a pregnancy with twins, it may have something to do with it. Either way, I'm happy that I am pregnant in the end with a good doctor who had watched over me with great care. Boston IVF in general was such a great experience with great staff overall. I definitely will recommend this doctor and it's facility.
Ask as many questions as possible, tell him about your concerns(how many embryos to put back in to maximize the chance of pregnancy versus likelihood of having twins, etc).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
She must have been so busy so she never really picked up the phone but always called me back. If she was tied up for the day, she usually had another nurse call me back to answer my questions

2012 - 2013, Successful
David Ryley was a good balance of kind and matter of fact. We wanted to know a lot of background scientific details for tests and procedures, and he always accommodated us. Really The only small downside is that he was not available for in-between visit telephone calls or emails. That just isn't how Boston IVF works - there are nurses on call for that purpose....Be prepared to only see him before you start the cycle, for consultation and planning. You won't see him for any procedures, and if you get pregnant on the first round you'll never see him again.
Boston IVF overall definitely worked like an assembly line, but just about every interaction I had along the way was positive and caring. We only saw Dr. Ryley for a few office visits leading up to our cycle (he didn't actually do any of the procedures himself). We liked his matter of fact, scientific conversations yet he was also very kind and sensitive. Really the only negative feedback would be for his secretary, who could use a bit fine tuning on the patient/customer service soft skills.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Antagonist protocol: Birth control pills, FSH, Ganirelix, HCG, egg retrieval, 5 day transfer of 2 embryos. This was my first and only IVF cycle, which resulted in my identical twin girls (one embryo didn't make it, the other split!).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
At Boston IVF, just about each interaction along the way was with a different provider. This is why I previously likened it to an assembly line. That being said, for the most part everyone was very professional and compassionate. I think I only had 1 or 2 just 'so - so' interactions along the way.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF in Waltham was where I had all of my blood work and procedures. They offered very convenient hours and lots of free parking. The facility was modern and clean.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I was very lucky, living in MA and having a company sponsored health plan (BCBS MA) that fully covered my fertility treatment for the cycle. I paid almost nothing out of pocket.
2003 - 2010, Successful
Dr. Ozkowitz is not necessarily overtly warm, yet the care he has for his patients is nonetheless obvious and he is wise and careful in his treatment plan....Dr. Oskowitz made a very astute plan as treatment evolved and after initial failure (and although the primary diagnosis of PCO was fairly standard there was unexplained poor egg quality that required some further finesse and analysis). The end result was 2 beautiful girls who are now 13 and 16. I can only imagine in the decade plus since my treatment, technology and care has continued to improve.
With my first child, I was treated [at BostonIVF] only for PCO with injections and eventually a successful IUI. It was discovered in my first pregnancy that I have an incompetent cervix which made me a high risk pregnancy. It also made it impossible for me to carry twins. So when it was time to attempt conceiving my 2nd pregnancy, we went straight to IVF to control the number of embryos implanted (only 1 at a time) to ensure I didn't have twins.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
Not to expect a big bear hug, that's not his personality, but he is a very good doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
Because the care was personal and appropriate for my situation. Dr. Oskowitz made a very astute plan as treatment evolved and after initial failure (and although the primary diagnosis of PCO was fairly standard there was unexplained poor egg quality that required some further finesse and analysis). The end result was 2 beautiful girls who are now 13 and 16. I can only imagine in the decade plus since my treatment, technology and care has continued to improve.
Describe the protocols Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
With my first child, I was treated only for PCO with injections and eventually a successful IUI. It was discovered in my first pregnancy that I have an incompetent cervix which made me a high risk pregnancy. It also made it impossible for me to carry twins. So when it was time to attempt conceiving my 2nd pregnancy, we went straight to IVF to control the number of embryos implanted (only 1 at a time) to ensure I didn't have twins. What we found out when I went through IVF was that for an unexplained reason the embryos were poor quality. After 2 unsuccessful IVF treatments (and sorry, I just realized I put 2 IVF cycles in the questionnaire but it was actually 3), he recommended we wait until day 5 for transfer to really understand which embryo was good enough quality to survive. Only 1 embryo survived to day 5, and she is now almost 14. His treatment plan was a success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I cannot remember the names now, treatment was a while ago, but the nurses were wonderful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF.
Covered by my insurance.
Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired)
Boston
Kind, explained all my questions, spoke in a really respectful way, encouraged us and gave us hope... Very kind and intelligent, the only bad things were that he [Dr. Bayer] seemed so confident in having a positive outcome and when we didn’t I felt like he didn’t dig into why and just chalked it up to bad luck and didn’t really change cycle protocol... He would have been fine with putting in two embryos if we had wanted.
It [Boston IVF] has too many people, patients doctors don’t always do physical transfer etc., their billing department is confusing, disorganized and not helpful. However, they have a lot of doctors so you can find a right for, they have easy to get to locations and they have ALL types of programs so it’s like one stop shopping for fertility.... One of our embryos did not thaw out and they told me 30 seconds before transfer. Also, they would not let my husband in the room, even though they knew it was surrogacy pregnancy.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Very kind and intelligent, the only bad things were that he seemed so confident in having a positive outcome and when we didn’t I felt like he didn’t dig into why and just chalked it up to bad luck and didn’t really change cycle protocol
Be prepared not to have contact and commiicafon with him-it all had to be filtered through nurses and he won’t mecessaily do your egg retrieval or transfer
But on regular ivf cycle-regular protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda )
The nurse was VERY prompt in giving results and answering questions. He manner or tone was sometimes a bit cold, but I just think she was like that because she wanted everything to be really clear (which it was.)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It has too many people, patients doctors don’t always do physical transfer etc., their billing department is confusing, disorganized and not helpful. However, they have a lot of doctors so you can find a right for, they have easy to get to locations and they have ALL types of programs so it’s like one stop shopping for fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
We spent over 90k on all treatments there and on our gestational carrier.
He would have been fine with putting in two embryos if we had wanted.
Boston

I love her [Dr. Rita Sneeringer] bedside manners, she always makes me feel very comfortable. She makes us aware of every possible outcome, And no question is stupid. I’ve spent over an hour in her office just talking about our plan and options and never felt rushed. I appreciate those little things.... She has such a positive outlook on us, and our situation. She’s always makes us feel like she has our backs!
It may seems a bit disorganized or over whelming but i feel as tho that’s because they [Boston IVF-Boston] have so many patients. It depends on where everyone is on their cycle some Days are just crazy and the next time it could be so slow.... My latest cycle I was using 450units of gonal F, 150units of menopur, with cetrotide being just added as well!... I never had a problem m booking orgetting in for a monitoring appointment. They Always seemed very to be willing to take me!
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I love her bedside manners, she always makes me feel very comfortable. She makes us aware of every possible outcome, And no question is stupid. I’ve spent over an hour in her office just talking about our plan and options and never felt rushed. I appreciate those little things.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly you think it might be!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
I always felt like i could call at any day or time and she was right there for me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It may seems a bit disorganized or over whelming but i feel as tho that’s because they have so many patients. It depends on where everyone is on their cycle some Days are just crazy and the next time it could be so slow.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
I feel very lucy the past few times I’ve done IVf, I’m just paying for the Copays! It’s next Time I’m worried about... my insurance won’t help anymore so I’ll have to pay out of pocket for my doner sperm and procedure to implant m.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We have done multiple transfers each time to get a better chance of at least one sticking!
Rita Sneeringer