Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

I adore Dr. Brian Berger but feel that he is so busy, sometimes I dealt a lot with the nurses opposed to him... One issue I was disappointed about was after 3 unsuccessful iui's, we went in for our consult for IVF and to begin the process. We were told then that my BMI was too high and I would need to lose 40 pounds to proceed. I was angry because I had been seeing him for almost a year at that point and was never told this information or I would have already worked at losing weight.
Nurses were great [at Boston IVF]! I did have 1 or 2 who were not so friendly. And after a failed iui, did not have much compassion when they called to tell me of my negative blood test. The nurses also perform the iui's and 1 of them was horrific. She started with the largest speculum and the whole procedure was incredibly uncomfortable. My most favorite nurse was Melissa Craig. She is a saint and was always so wonderful.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Brian Berger is a wonderful doctor. I always trusted him and had faith that he would help us have a child. One issue I was disappointed about was after 3 unsuccessful iui's, we went in for our consult for IVF and to begin the process. We were told then that my BMI was too high and I would need to lose 40 pounds to proceed. I was angry because I had been seeing him for almost a year at that point and was never told this information or I would have already worked at losing weight.
Ask questions. And ask about future plans so you are prepared.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
All 3 iui's I started on letrozole cycle days 3-7. Ultrasound and blood started on day 12 and hug trigger shot when my follicles were 18mm+.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nurses were great! I did have 1 or 2 who were not so friendly. And after a failed iui, did not have much compassion when they called to tell me of my negative blood test. The nurses also perform the iui's and 1 of them was horrific. She started with the largest speculum and the whole procedure was incredibly uncomfortable. My most favorite nurse was Melissa Craig. She is a saint and was always so wonderful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Better communication. More providers at the south shore center so the wait isn't so long. And just being more straightforward with information. If a patient is overweight, make sure it it communicated that they have a BMI requirement.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Med refill took 4 days to be called into pharmacy. Wasn't told about the BMI requirement with anesthesia dept.
2015 - 2018, Successful
For my fresh cycle we chose to put 2 embryos in, the result was my daughter...Dr. Berger asked how many babies we want for this pregnancy, we responded with 1, and he said that's our answer! I really liked how he very simply helped us make such an important decision...I felt that he really has such a passion for what he does, so during his care I was blown away by how everything went.
I think everyone at this clinic [Boston IVF] has been super positive, helpful and kind. I also love that they have the Domar center and offer so much that helps during your treatment, like acupuncture...but it was definitely worth it for the care you receive. I would honestly say that the doctors, nurses and staff here are the equivalent to Disney employees, everyone is so nice to you!...I love how this entire clinic, with all their different locations, works as one giant team. I felt very taken Care of, even when I didn't necessarily know the doctor or nurse who was caring for me during a certain procedure.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger has been very direct and to the point about my treatment and expectations. I have always felt that I was in good hands and that he was in full control over how my cycle turned out. In the times that I showed concern or was nervous about a procedure he really spoke to me like a human and not a doctor, which was such a comfort. In a consultation I had recently with him, after having my daughter and going back for a frozen transfer I told him that what I experienced with my IVF cycle went so much easier than I had anticipated and it was because of him that it went so well. I did wish that I could see my doctor more for procedures, instead of sometimes having all different doctors, but at the same time I knew dr. Berger was in full control of my cycle and I felt so comfortable with everyone at Boston IVF. Dr. Berger always stresses excellence in his field and the importance of keeping up with what is best for his patients treatments, so I knew that he would never let me in the hands of a colleague that wouldn't be equally excellent to execute his plans. This really spoke volumes in the amount of trust I put in him for my care, and how pleased I was with the results.
I would tell a prospective patient that it's important to get all your information and ask all your questions during your consultation, you won't necessarily get the chance to see him or talk to him again during your cycle. It's important to trust what he wants to do to help you.
I felt that he really has such a passion for what he does, so during his care I was blown away by how everything went. After having my daughter, my husband and I went back for a consultation to do a frozen embryo transfer and he was so happy to see us and see that we had success. We had a very nice conversation while also being down to business to make sure we have success for our family again. We couldn't be happier!
I can't remember with my IVF cycle what the specifics were, I am currently doing a frozen transfer and my protocol so far is to take letrozole cycle days 3-7, then blood work/ ultrasound cycle day 10. I will be taking ovidrel, edomitrine, doxicycline, and methylprednisolon
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff has always been very organized and very easy to talk to. I really appreciate how they handle your cycle and how they communicate what needs to be done. They have always been very quick to get things done for you also.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I love how this entire clinic, with all their different locations, works as one giant team. I felt very taken Care of, even when I didn't necessarily know the doctor or nurse who was caring for me during a certain procedure. I found that it was nice at times that you had to call and leave voicemails, that way you always got the exact and correct answers you needed, although sometimes you just want to call and get through to someone so you don't have to wait for a phone call, but that's just sometimes in my opinion. I think everyone at this clinic has been super positive, helpful and kind. I also love that they have the Domar center and offer so much that helps during your treatment, like acupuncture. The worst part was the commute during rush hour to get to appointments, but it was definitely worth it for the care you receive. I would honestly say that the doctors, nurses and staff here are the equivalent to Disney employees, everyone is so nice to you!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
My fresh cycle I was on different insurance so more of my drugs were covered. For my frozen transfer, I'm finding the cost of my medication more expensive due to my current insurance.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
For my fresh cycle we chose to put 2 embryos in, the result was my daughter. Going back for a frozen transfer we were not sure what to do, how many embryos. Dr. Berger asked how many babies we want for this pregnancy, we responded with 1, and he said that's our answer! I really liked how he very simply helped us make such an important decision
South Shore

He [Dr. Berger] tailored plans to my needs even though some aspects were not typically recommended. He went way above and beyond what I expect from a doctor with his time to make sure I was comfortable...He used an aggressive approach to stimulating my ovaries because I am older and wanted to freeze eggs...He is easy to talk to, thinks critically, has enormous amount of experience, cares about his patients truly, very attentive. He is skilled. He talked to me about decisions so that I could participate and so that I was comfortable.
Paid for egg freezing out of pocket [at Boston IVF]. Reasonable cost compared to others...I liked the flexibility of having many offices throughout the Boston area. The staff love their job and it shows in how they treat patients. The technicians seemed skilled at their job and were very pleasant. There isn't continuity in who you'll see from time to time, but that didn't bother me...[nurses were] Super responsive, kind, patient.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He tailored plans to my needs even though some aspects were not typically recommended. He went way above and beyond what I expect from a doctor with his time to make sure I was comfortable.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Super responsive, kind, patient.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Paid for egg freezing out of pocket. Reasonable cost compared to others
South Shore

They're [the nurses at Boston IVF- Stoneham] great. Anytime that I called and had to leave a vm they got right back to me even though their message says 24 hours. In all the 30+ times I called they got back to me within an hour. Even after hours and on weekends. They're very organized and tell you exactly what the expectations are. It's a little intimidating at first because they present it like a secret mission, but they're simply being detailed and clear.
How was your experience with Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
My overall experience was great. This process can be overwhelming what with the terms, meds, options & possible change in protocol. Dr. Cardone explained everything in a manner that we could understand, a third grade level was was helpful. When my first IUI failed he changed things up a bit. When the second one did, his team called me the same day to share that Dr. Cardone already had my IVF treatment plan in place. He was pro active about it. When my husband presented with a sudden worry about embryo distraction, Dr. Cardone saw us the same week to walk us through the issue. (Due to my age it wasn't actually an issue for us). Dr. Cardone always kept us informed and educated. No question was foolish. For that we are grateful and for that we didn't ever question his plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
I would say that they shouldn't fear ever being treated like a question was foolish or that they were overreacting. That was always my fear as I was so uneducated about infertility. Dr. Cardone and his team are very skilled at what they do & are great with customer service.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
Dr. Cardone was very kind yet honest about the obstacles we could face. However, he also had a 'can do' attitude, and made us feel that our obstacles were manageable with some creativity & knowhow.
Describe the protocols Vito Cardone used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We started with IUI as it was least invasive. Also, I think that my ins required two failed before moving to IVF so we had no choice. (Not any fault of Dr. Cardone, but I felt that I was up against a clock as I was in the final few months of my 39th year. At 40 ins coverage is complicated). I have 2 embryos on ice and start about 15 days of prep on Oct 2 to get those little things back in me.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They're great. Anytime that I called and had to leave a vm they got right back to me even though their message says 24 hours. In all the 30+ times I called they got back to me within an hour. Even after hours and on weekends. They're very organized and tell you exactly what the expectations are. It's a little intimidating at first because they present it like a secret mission, but they're simply being detailed and clear.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think it could use a little interior design support. Although we're not going not for the decore, a little more of a welcoming astetically pleasing environment is great. They're efficient and that's what counts.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vito Cardone at Boston IVF.
Co pay, some of meds.
Describe Vito Cardone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I trust his judgement implicitly.
Vito Cardone

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
I wasn’t getting the results I needed to [with Dr. Rita Sneeringer], so we added HGH and I finally got an embryo to transfer (has not been transferred yet)...was always warm and welcoming when I saw her. She was up to date on my case and if she wasn’t sure about something she takes the time to look through my chart to make sure she provides an appropriate answer... When I wasn’t getting the results I wanted, and I did some research, I made suggestions and although my clinic mostly didn’t use the medicine I was suggesting to try, she was willing to go outside the box and try something different.
There was miscommunication on the new protocol since it was an “out of the box” medication I was using, the nurses [at Boston IVF] weren’t used to calling it in to the pharmacy and prescribing it. So we had to wait another cycle to get things in order...The clinic as an overall has been great. The retrieval process has been amazing, they’ve always made sure I am comfortable with warm blankets, heating pads, nausea meds, etc. Generally you need to book appointments far ahead with the doctors as they fill up pretty quickly, even for post-op appointments.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer put me on a pretty popular protocol that I had been on before. When I wasn’t getting the results I wanted, and I did some research, I made suggestions and although my clinic mostly didn’t use the medicine I was suggesting to try, she was willing to go outside the box and try something different. She has always been warm and kind at our appointments and I have never once felt rushed which is a huge difference from a previous clinic I was at.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Ask questions. Do your research and if you want to try something new, ask, she is very open to experimenting with different protocols if you aren’t getting where you want to be.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was always warm and welcoming when I saw her. She was up to date on my case and if she wasn’t sure about something she takes the time to look through my chart to make sure she provides an appropriate answer.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I used BCP, gonalf f, menopur, cetrotide and HGH trigger. I wasn’t getting the results I needed to, so we added HGH and I finally got an embryo to transfer (has not been transferred yet).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
There was one nursing staff that seemed very harsh and not compassionate at all. Obviously it was hard to deal with her. However there was another nurse that couldn’t be nicer and always put in all the effort she could to get you the answers you need and make sure you understood everything.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
The cost was mostly covered by insurance except for PGS and ICSI if we wanted to use it. We chose to do PGS but not ICSI.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There was miscommunication on the new protocol since it was an “out of the box” medication I was using, the nurses weren’t used to calling it in to the pharmacy and prescribing it. So we had to wait another cycle to get things in order.
Stoneham
The doctor [Dr. Sneeringer] was very pleasant and at the same time realistic. We were given the facts and although we did not go as far as she planned us needing to go, we were always informed...VERY thorough in her workup which ultimately led to our baby girl we are expecting. If the workup was not so thorough I never would have found the reason I kept losing pregnancies. We are forever grateful.
[The nurses at Boston IVF were] Always friendly and so happy for us when the time came...Sometimes you will be called by and NP and it may be someone you have not met before. In my opinion it did not matter as long as I was being cared for in a timely manner. With other people it may matter and you may want a one on one relationship with the doctor...I was given baby aspirin for MTHFR and elevated PAI 1. I was also given metformin 1500mg daily for elevated insulin with no other signs of PCOS.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
We truly enjoyed being patients of Dr. Sneeringer. She was very realistic and VERY thorough in her workup which ultimately led to our baby girl we are expecting. If the workup was not so thorough I never would have found the reason I kept losing pregnancies. We are forever grateful.
Just keep going! Keep plugging away. There are many roads to becoming a parent and if one doesn't work try the next. It is an extremely difficult experience but nothing is more worth it.
The doctor was very pleasant and at the same time realistic. We were given the facts and although we did not go as far as she planned us needing to go, we were always informed.
I was given baby aspirin for MTHFR and elevated PAI 1. I was also given metformin 1500mg daily for elevated insulin with no other signs of PCOS. Once the next pregnancy was achieved we were given Crinone 8% gel daily which I believe was the best thing that helped our daughter grow. I continued crinone for 28 weeks although it was only recommended until 10. I just had too big of a feeling that she needed it and my progesterone was low multiple times when I had lab work done. Our daughter is now coming in just a week!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Always friendly and so happy for us when the time came. They even asked that we bring the baby in to see them which we will!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The lab work was the most expensive being about 800 dollars but at the time our insurance was not the greatest. The medications totaled about 35 per month which was great!
Stoneham
she [Dr. Sneeringer] made adjustments to the second with increased menopur and gonal F and used cetrotide as well to increase mature eggs...has taken time to listen time after time. She takes time to explain things and address my concerns. She sets my mind at ease... is patient and understanding of everything. She listens to questions and concerns and provides care plans that work for me. She doesn't hesitate to explain things further when needed and has been available for questions.
Some members of the nursing staff [at Boston IVF] are incredible. I can turn to them to settle my anxieties and get the answers that I need. One nurse in particular has also been through the fertility process and really understands. Other nurses could use some help with bed side manners and communication...Waiting for one of my beta results I did not get a phone call. One nurse believed another nurse had relayed the results as I had contact her during the day. There was also an issue of the nurse believing she left me a voicemail but I did not receive one.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr Sneeringer is patient and understanding of everything. She listens to questions and concerns and provides care plans that work for me. She doesn't hesitate to explain things further when needed and has been available for questions.
Tell her what is on your mind and what concerns you may have. She can help with solutions or easing your concerns.
Dr Sneeringer has taken time to listen time after time. She takes time to explain things and address my concerns. She sets my mind at ease.
Don't remember first egg retrieval protocol but she made adjustments to the second with increased menopur and gonal F and used cetrotide as well to increase mature eggs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some members of the nursing staff are incredible. I can turn to them to settle my anxieties and get the answers that I need. One nurse in particular has also been through the fertility process and really understands. Other nurses could use some help with bed side manners and communication.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
At BIVF I don't feel like a number. I feel like a patient. They do a great job with scheduling, testing, consents, and overall coordinating. The only opportunity I see is getting all their nurses to the same level of care.
Stoneham

she [Dr. Rita Sneeringer] decide because of my age that a 2 embryo transfer was going to give me a better chance...explain every aspect of the treatment. she was clear with all that could of happen. She is very griendly and down to earth doctor.She understands what my needs were. she really try to communicate every thing to us in every visit...I was started with honal-f 900 I and then manipur 75 iu was added, centroine and the last last inject was the trigger shot of HCG. I had no adverse reactions to this medications.
My nurse [at Boston IVF] was very compassionate she always call with any news. overall all the nurses there are friendly and compassionate...well the clinic could give out brochures on the treatments and it need to update their reception area. To a new patient just be patience when going in for blood work or ultrasound because even if you are given an appointment is by signing in so the earlier you are there the better
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr sneeringer explain every aspect of the treatment. she was clear with all that could of happen. She is very griendly and down to earth doctor.She understands what my needs were. she really try to communicate every thing to us in every visit
Ask about financial help if paying out of pocket. Don't be afraid to ask questions when in doubt
the staff was very nice they undrstand what i was going thru
I was started with honal-f 900 I and then manipur 75 iu was added, centroine and the last last inject was the trigger shot of HCG. I had no adverse reactions to this medications. Which am grateful for
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
My nurse was very compassionate she always call with any news. overall all the nurses there are friendly and compassionate
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
she decide because of my age that a 2 embryo transfer was going to give me a better chance
Stoneham
He [Dr. Arroyo] feels that it will be safer to transfer one embryo at a time, to give that embryo the best chance to grow into a baby and potentially decrease risks of having multiples. Ultimately it is up to us...He takes the time to be thorough during office visits and he answers all of our questions... extremely easy to talk to. I appreciate that we have a plan in place every time we leave the office, results are communicated timely, and he is extremely honest. We are never rushed because he has another patient to get to and he tailors treatment to fit our needs.
Anna at the front desk [of Boston IVF] is always warm and welcoming. The phlebotomists are fantastic and very professional. The financial coordinator Abby is incredibly knowledgeable about the insurance processes, submitting PA requests, getting medications approved, and dealing with billing issues...Dr. Arroyo and his staff have been AMAZING...The nurses at his office are top notch as well. We travel 2.5 hours to and from appointments as we live in Buffalo, that’s how confident we are in Dr Arroyo and his staff. Doctor Nps
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Amazing. He’s very thorough and extremely easy to talk to. I appreciate that we have a plan in place every time we leave the office, results are communicated timely, and he is extremely honest. We are never rushed because he has another patient to get to and he tailors treatment to fit our needs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Fertility treatment can be a roller coaster, and I suggest consulting with different providers before selecting one to care for you during this sometimes crazy/stressful time. My husband and I saw a different provider locally and we felt like a number, not patients. Dr Arroyo has never made us feel that way. He wants the best outcome for his patient and is very honest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Arroyo and his staff have been AMAZING. He takes the time to be thorough during office visits and he answers all of our questions. The nurses at his office are top notch as well. We travel 2.5 hours to and from appointments as we live in Buffalo, that’s how confident we are in Dr Arroyo and his staff.
Describe the protocols Armando Arroyo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
After failed IUIs and unpleasant experience at a different practice, we sought the help of Dr Arroyo at Boston IVF. My husband and I had already decided that since our failed IUIs we were ready to move on to IVF. After a lot of testing (ultrasounds, lab work, genetic testing, etc), I started my stimulation protocol of Gonal F and Menopur in December 2019. We had a successful retrieval in January 2020. Dr Arroyo was able to retrieve 9 mature eggs (I’m 38 and only have one ovary, so we were very happy with this number), 8 fertilized without ICSI, and 5 made it to day 5 embryos. We decided to freeze our embryos to give my body time to heal after the retrieval. My first transfer was cancelled in March due to my lab values and a growing follicle, and unfortunately due to the current pandemic all cycles are currently on hold. I am currently taking daily birth control until I am told by the office to stop and start taking my transfer protocol meds as soon as cycles are able to begin again. I will be taking Estradiol 6mg daily, then adding in IM progesterone injections every 3 days, and Endometrin twice daily.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jill, RN)
I don’t have enough words to fully describe how amazing the nursing staff has been. I appreciate that they all know what is going on with our care no matter who I talk to. Jill, Sara, and Jess have been AMAZING. They call promptly with lab results, give clear and concise instructions, and are always willing to listen and provide guidance. If they don’t know an answer (which is hardly ever) they get the correct information and call back timely.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Anna at the front desk is always warm and welcoming. The phlebotomists are fantastic and very professional. The financial coordinator Abby is incredibly knowledgeable about the insurance processes, submitting PA requests, getting medications approved, and dealing with billing issues.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF.
I had insurance that was used for my treatment from September 2019-February 2020. My costs were on average for office visits, diagnostic testing. My insurance plan carried a high deductible. Between medical services and medications for my IVF stimulation and cycle I met my OOP Maximum of $4200.
Describe Armando Arroyo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Due to my age, we were given the option to transfer either one or two embryos. He feels that it will be safer to transfer one embryo at a time, to give that embryo the best chance to grow into a baby and potentially decrease risks of having multiples. Ultimately it is up to us if we want to transfer one or two. My husband and I have discussed it and the plan is to transfer one for our first transfer, if that does not work, we may consider transferring two embryos the next time. We have 5 embryos, but we could not afford PGD testing, so we are currently under the assumption that statistically 50% of our embryos will not be genetically viable.
Syracuse

With genetic testing, Dr. Arroyo discouraged multiple embryo transfer...never knew my case prior to our meeting, was constantly re-asking me questions, etc...provided very few details about his treatment plan, would always speak very vaguely. He never included us in decision-making or made any adjustments to the standard care plan. His bedside manner was awkward and made me uncomfortable on many occasions...I did one egg retrieval with fertilized with frozen sperm and did genetic testing on the embryos. I can't remember the medications or doses. Though I remained on several through 10 weeks of pregnancy.
There were several points where my treatment was delayed or nearly delayed by 4-6 weeks due to poor communication on the clinic's [Boston IVF] part...When I was getting treatment, the clinic was newly-established. The clinic itself was mostly easy to navigate. One challenge is that (at least at the time that I was receiving treatment), there wasn't a large enough patient population to support an embryologist on-site. This meant needing to sync up cycles with all patients undergoing retrieval or transfer so that an embryologist could come from Boston and do all the procedures in a single week. This led to a prolonged course of treatment that I hadn't expected.
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Arroyo provided very few details about his treatment plan, would always speak very vaguely. He never included us in decision-making or made any adjustments to the standard care plan. His bedside manner was awkward and made me uncomfortable on many occasions.
Use the nurses to your advantage in communicating with him. Make sure you keep asking questions until you get a satisfactory answer.
Dr. Arroyo never knew my case prior to our meeting, was constantly re-asking me questions, etc.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
My insurance covered most of my costs with the exception of genetic testing. I had some copays for procedures and office visits.
With genetic testing, Dr. Arroyo discouraged multiple embryo transfer. I agreed with this decision.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There were several points where my treatment was delayed or nearly delayed by 4-6 weeks due to poor communication on the clinic's part.
Syracuse

He [Dr. Armando Arroyo] knew exactly who we were and what our details were at every visit...I had a very tricky schedule as I had moved to Canada before transfer. He was very good about arranging phone calls and making a protocol easier for travel. He is warm and always seemed happy to see us...Trust that he is part of a larger, highly successful team. He knows the latest research and is open to talking through your ideas. You have a voice in the path ahead. He is an interlocutor, not an authoritarian.
The main nurse [at Boston IVF Syracuse], Jill, was wonderful. First, there is one main nurse! At my last clinic, you saw a new person every visit. This clinic offers a single contact person which makes things MUCH easier. Jill knew exactly what our plan was and was always quick to get back to me to help organize meds etc. I "graduated" from the clinic at week 8 and she continues to email to check on us every three weeks!...This is a new clinic with a great staff. Abby at the front desk is cheerful and Mel is a wonderful embryologist who spent a bit of time to assist with moving my embryos across town and then prepping them for transfer. The blood and ultrasound team is also small, so you see the same faces often and they are all very good!
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
He really gives patients the respect they deserve. I am a professor and I felt like my last clinic spoke to me like I was dumb all the time. Dr. Arroyo assumed I was knowledgeable and engaged with any research I had done and never dismissed it. We had good conversations and we felt very confident that we made a good choice to move clinics. I had a very tricky schedule as I had moved to Canada before transfer. He was very good about arranging phone calls and making a protocol easier for travel. He is warm and always seemed happy to see us.
Dr. Arroyo is a good mix of understanding and straightforward. He sat with us and looked at our results and talked to us about a treatment plan for my situation. At my last clinic most women were on the same protocol with a dozen medications. Dr. Arroyo showed me why I didn't need most of them. I spoke to him more in my six months at this clinic than I spoke to my previous specialist in 2.5 years. He called regularly as we organized moving embryos from another clinic. He attended most of my ultrasounds and helped me understand how things were progressing. He knew exactly who we were and what our details were at every visit.
This was my third frozen transfer (not PGS tested embryos). We debated another stim plus PGS of all, but I wasn't up for it. I had a lap/hysteroscopy before and that could explain success. I did a longer estrogen protocol than I was used to. My lining wasn't great so we gave it an extra week. I was on progesterone suppositories and shots (only ever 3 nights) up to 10 weeks pregnant. My previous transfers at another clinic I was on a dozen medications, many out of pocket and thousands of dollars. It was great to have fewer meds to keep track of. I made the process less stressful. We had two frozen day 3 embryos. Transferred 2 and now 19 weeks with a singleton!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jill L)
The main nurse, Jill, was wonderful. First, there is one main nurse! At my last clinic, you saw a new person every visit. This clinic offers a single contact person which makes things MUCH easier. Jill knew exactly what our plan was and was always quick to get back to me to help organize meds etc. I "graduated" from the clinic at week 8 and she continues to email to check on us every three weeks! So lovely!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I am very fortunate to have excellent insurance. My co-pay for visits was 20$ They did not recommend anything not covered by my insurance.
2019, Consult
The doctor [Dr. Armando Arroyo] never greeted me. Never asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Nor asked me questions about myself to understand who I was... didn't want to talk through anything at all. He signed me up for a list of over 30 tests. Most that either I had already had done...Never once did he ask if I had any questions or concerns. Just "see you in 6 weeks for your follow up" and ushered me into another room to talk to a financial adviser. I have NEVER left a doctor being so confused as to what was going on, and I was in tears. It was AWFUL. If you are a woman, who is looking for help, he is looking for money, he does not care about your well being at all.
[Boston IVF- Syracuse Center is] a homey feeling clinic...The receptionist didn't know anything, and took 10 minutes to check me in. It is near impossible to find the office as its inside a huge building and when you use your GPS, good luck getting there. and The receptionist when you call for help can't help at all...I was handed off like a package [by the nurse], one for my weight, one for the 50000 questions they ask you, then one who's job was to talk to me about how I am going to pay for it. She literally said "Well, everything will be billed to insurance, but we don't know what they will cover, and you will have to pay the rest." Which didn't help me at all.
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
I was sat down in Dr.Arroyo's office, and told that he would talk with me about everything. He said okay, you have PCOS. Great, your options are get pregnant or get on birth control. That was it. I tried to ask various questions about managing my hormone levels, and he brushed off the questions. I told him what my concerns were and he pretty much didn't care. He told me that it was what he planned or nothing. And didn't want to talk through anything at all. He signed me up for a list of over 30 tests. Most that either I had already had done, or were absolutely un-necessary, as validated by another doctor later. Never once did he ask if I had any questions or concerns. Just "see you in 6 weeks for your follow up" and ushered me into another room to talk to a financial adviser. I have NEVER left a doctor being so confused as to what was going on, and I was in tears. It was AWFUL. If you are a woman, who is looking for help, he is looking for money, he does not care about your well being at all.
RUN AWAY. FAR AWAY. Find another doctor.
The doctor never greeted me. Never asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Nor asked me questions about myself to understand who I was. He wanted to see how much money he could get out of me and that was it.
Dr. Arroyo wanted me to do 30 different blood tests, including genetics, STD (I have never had a positive pap in my life and had just had one done a few weeks earlier), wanted me to come and do about 6 different ultrasounds, and have my husband do a semen test. NONE of these were actually needed ( as told to me by my new doctor).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I was handed off like a package, one for my weight, one for the 50000 questions they ask you, then one who's job was to talk to me about how I am going to pay for it. She literally said "Well, everything will be billed to insurance, but we don't know what they will cover, and you will have to pay the rest." Which didn't help me at all.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Its a homey feeling clinic. You don't know what you're in for when you walk in. The receptionist didn't know anything, and took 10 minutes to check me in. It is near impossible to find the office as its inside a huge building and when you use your GPS, good luck getting there. and The receptionist when you call for help can't help at all.
I have no idea, because the financial person could not tell me what ANYTHING was going to cost. I thought I would walk away with an idea but nope. She didn't know and had nothing she could tell me, even with what my insurance would cover, even though the whole point of sending my insurance information in early was so that I could have an idea of the costs ahead of time.
Syracuse

He [Dr. Armando Arroyo] never knew our names and had the same exact meeting with us TWO times and didn't know it until my husband reminded him...He seemed like a nice enough guy and did explain things to us but he should have had a nurse in the office when he was explaining the plan to us because once we got outside his office everything was different...We were doing a few rounds of letrozole and trigger shots with relations then going to IUI.
once I tried to pay [at Boston IVF- THe Syracuse Center] and they told me I had no balance. When I left the office they called/emailed me IMMEDIATELY asking me to clear up my balance that didn't exist a few minutes earlier. If only they called with MEDICAL information as quickly as they called to collect money...Some [nurses] were very nice, some literally never spoke to me when doing 10+ minute ultrasounds. One nurse checked me in as the wrong patient and started a procedure on me as said patient!! I only found out because the doctor called me the wrong name!
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
I only met him twice but it took up a lot of my time for him to hold the same meeting with us two times to discuss the same thing. He seemed like a nice enough guy and did explain things to us but he should have had a nurse in the office when he was explaining the plan to us because once we got outside his office everything was different.
Go to CNY fertility instead.
He never knew our names and had the same exact meeting with us TWO times and didn't know it until my husband reminded him.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some were very nice, some literally never spoke to me when doing 10+ minute ultrasounds. One nurse checked me in as the wrong patient and started a procedure on me as said patient!! I only found out because the doctor called me the wrong name!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clean office but they only care about money, not patients. You're COD which is fine but once I tried to pay and they told me I had no balance. When I left the office they called/emailed me IMMEDIATELY asking me to clear up my balance that didn't exist a few minutes earlier. If only they called with MEDICAL information as quickly as they called to collect money.
Monitoring and bloodwork was $450/visit.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Mentioned the payment issues and incorrect patient issue on previous slides.
Syracuse

Dr arroyo was polite and respectful. He made us feel like we were “normal” even though we have been feeling like something is wrong with us. He addressed our fears and worries and reassured us that we WILL get pregnant one way or another :) ... I felt like Dr. Arroyo addressed my concerns and talked to me as if we were on the same level. He does a very good job of giving information while also treating you with kindness
Boston ivf in Syracuse is a brand new clinic and it is beautiful. The staff is so friendly and welcoming and I have very little wait time when I get there. They have been great about scheduling appointments and taking my phone calls ... We are just starting out so I am not sure what it will all cost but their rates are pretty decent! ... So far we have had a consultation and baseline blood work & an ultrasound for my follicles and uterine lining. We will go back for a follow up appointment early March and starting iui when my March cycle begins
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Make your appointment asap they are booking up fast
We are at the beginning stages of our journey, starting our first IUI cycle in March. So far we have had a consultation and baseline blood work & an ultrasound for my follicles and uterine lining. We will go back for a follow up appointment early March and starting iui when my March cycle begins

2014 - 2019, Unknown Success
[Dr. Rita Sneeringer] was easy to speak with, gave facts in a kind manner...She is conservative with the medical technology and prefers to "put the eggs through hoops" with lab growth then genetic testing...does not prefer to have Day 3, Day 5 transfers. Prefers genetic screening then frozen transfer. Prefers 2 embryos at most...I felt she brought up donor eggs too early after one unsuccessful cycle
[Boston IVF] Primary care nurse was professional but not compassionate. Made statements that weren't necessary. I had to insist on email to have better communication...all my surgeries were also at the clinic and I felt at ease with the surgical team...Egg freezing cycles = $15,000-17,000. 3 elective frozen egg cycles. Human growth hormone = $3,000.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer is probably one of the best in the industry. She is compassionate, friendly, and genuinely wants to see you succeed. She knows when to also be firm and assert her expertise. She did let me ask about novel protocols, etc. The one issue is she is conservative and plays it safe. I was also using frozen eggs. She insisted on developing the eggs past 5 day blasts and having genetic testing on both fresh and frozen eggs. After several failed cycles I asked for a Day 3 transfer and she agreed to a Day 5 transfer. That helped me conceive. But we used every egg and I have no frozen eggs left. I often wish we had done a Day 5 transfer on earlier cycles. Or we had frozen the one remaining embryo that was left with the frozen egg at Day 5. I may have been able to have one more child?
Dr. Sneeringer is one of the best fertility specialists. She is genuine and cares. Some people prefer a stronger voice, but she is professional and asserts her medical expertise when necessary. She is conservative with the medical technology and prefers to "put the eggs through hoops" with lab growth then genetic testing. I felt she brought up donor eggs too early after one unsuccessful cycle. But otherwise, every interaction with her was professional and with the highest level of medical attention and care.
MD was easy to speak with, gave facts in a kind manner. Head nurse had little bedside manner and even made a statement saying that I shouldn't expect good results as I have low ovarian reserve. It was psychologically difficult process and did not need to be exacerbated.
Cycle 1 - 4 Frozen, Fresh retrieval Cycle 2 - 3 Frozen, Fresh retrieval Cycle 3 - 0 Frozen, Fresh retrieval - Genetic Screening - 1 AA embryo, Frozen transfer Cycle 4 - 7 Frozen, Fresh retrieval - 1 BB embryo and one morula, Day 5 transfer, 1 conception (no genetic screening due to day 5 transfer) Strategies used: 7% chance of frozen eggs working, so best to have fresh cycles with frozen eggs. Always use genetic screening to be safe even with eggs frozen at age 35 and 36.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg Kennedy)
Primary care nurse was professional but not compassionate. Made statements that weren't necessary. I had to insist on email to have better communication. Also, I'm in meetings all day, open office, and wireless firewalls for mobile phone issues. The secondary nurse, Bonnie, was much easier to work with, understood how/why I needed to communication using certain means.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I chose a suburban clinic and not a hospital so that I could receive better 1 on 1 attention. It was much more pleasant than going into a clinical setting. I liked that all my surgeries were also at the clinic and I felt at ease with the surgical team. Weakness was easily being able to get to the clinic. Luckily, my physician also worked in a clinic near my home and I was able to get monitoring and blood work there and still make it to work on time.
Dr. Sneeringer does not prefer to have Day 3, Day 5 transfers. Prefers genetic screening then frozen transfer. Prefers 2 embryos at most. Conservative with number of embryos to be transferred.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I personally took paper documents to another IVF clinic. An electronic transfer would have been easier. However, that was the only issue. There were never drug Rx mistakes or surgical mistakes.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Alan Penzias] was very thorough in looking through an extensive medical record and breaking it down as to where all my information put me, he answered all my questions honestly but with care and hope. He helped me feel better about my situation by being direct and informed about my diagnosis of unexplained infertility and what my specific history meant for this. I had previously been told by doctors that nothing was wrong, that recurrent miscarriage just happens and to keep trying which just seemed so unrealistic and inhuman to say, Dr. Penzias recognized what had been been happening right away as a problem and concern, he found me a solution and provided hope with a very uncertain condition.
They [doctors at Boston IVF] insisted on a single transfer, it's common practice in this clinic and they have high success rates with it. While I would have rather transferred 2 embryos to start, the risks with multiples in pregnancy was enough that I didn't argue it, and we had a successful single transfer...They are an extremely compassionate and educated group of people. They are a timely clinic, I never waited around past my appointment time.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He was very educated and informed, and able to explain things without going over your head when he talks. I personally appreciate somebody who is very honest, so Dr. Penzias was a great doctor for me. He's very straight forward if you ask him a question and confident in his responses, when your dealing with infertility at first you usually come across doctors that don't know much about it, so it was comforting for me to not hear any hesitation when he spoke. By breaking down my personal experiences with my diagnosis of unexplained infertility, he was able to say with confidence that IVF could be a good solution for me and he was correct. I could never thank him enough.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Listen to what he's saying when he discusses your condition with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He was very thorough in looking through an extensive medical record and breaking it down as to where all my information put me, he answered all my questions honestly but with care and hope. He helped me feel better about my situation by being direct and informed about my diagnosis of unexplained infertility and what my specific history meant for this. I had previously been told by doctors that nothing was wrong, that recurrent miscarriage just happens and to keep trying which just seemed so unrealistic and inhuman to say, Dr. Penzias recognized what had been been happening right away as a problem and concern, he found me a solution and provided hope with a very uncertain condition.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I've had one IVF cycle, and I am currently 8 months pregnant with my first child. IVF was determined to be the best course of action, I previously had lost 5 pregnancies over 2 years, giving me a diagnosis of recurrent pregnancy loss and unexplained infertility. I had no issues getting pregnant, but could not carry past 6 weeks. I was given progesterone to help maintain the pregnancy until 11 weeks gestation. Ovidrel was the drug used to cause ovulation. Menopur with gonal-f were used during egg stimulation producing 14 eggs in total.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley?)
I didn't see a nurse often. I saw more medical assistants and sonographers than anybody during my cycle. They were all great and I never had to wait around, my appointment times were always met or even early if I was there early.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are an extremely compassionate and educated group of people. They are a timely clinic, I never waited around past my appointment time. With that said, if I was there early they could usually get me in sooner, or the one time I was late they didn't make me reschedule, told me they would see me when I got there and to drive safe, and they did in fact see me within 15 minutes after I showed up late. I just can't say enough good things about this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered the cost of most of it.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
They insisted on a single transfer, it's common practice in this clinic and they have high success rates with it. While I would have rather transferred 2 embryos to start, the risks with multiples in pregnancy was enough that I didn't argue it, and we had a successful single transfer.

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
The first appointment [with Dr. Penzias] was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next...We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance
She [Boston IVF nurse] is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean...I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic...I have a copay for each appointment. IUI we paid for out of pocket at roughly $500. The drugs were $500. This came as a surprise to us
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
The first appointment was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next. Until Covid it was very hard to get an appointment and normally required one month wait. This feels like forever when battling a ticking body clock. I liked that he used my data to figure out next steps. I did not feel especially like the treatment was custom made for me but we have not yet been able to start an IVF cycle. It was nice that he tried to enrol us in a clinical trial.
Make a list of all your questions before you go in else the appointment will be very short and you will feel unsatisfied
The first appointment was really helpful. He was very kind in the last appointment as I have been waiting so long. Dr P likes statistics and sometimes I feel like I am one of them.
We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance. This was more of our decision due to cost. I feel like if we had insurance we would have jumped straight to IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
I feel like I speak to my nurse at least a couple of times per month as i have so many period issues. She is very helpful and clear and gets back to me very quickly. She is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean. I have never called any medical professional this much and I don't get the feeling I am bugging her
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic. The Domar center is an awesome resource and I think it would be helpful to advertise their services particularly the mind body program more prominently. The weakness is that they are so busy it is hard to get appointments to see the doctor.

2019, 8 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Ryley] was decent to me pre-opp but post-off was a bit rushed and rude. When I asked if he was going to freeze any immature eggs, rather than just say yes, he irratablity stated "You didn't go over that with your doctor?" He hadn't remembered our pre-surgery discussion either. Didn't seem to care. When I asked a simple question about how many mature follicles I ended up having going in, he dismissed me and said he didn't count them.
[Boston IVF] Locations are everywhere so it can be convenient. However, the only location open on the weekends is in Waltham, so if you need to go on a weekend, you have to drive there. Has a bit of a factory feel to it, but I was satisfied. Loved the option for acupuncture. All of the women I interacted with were great...The nurses at Boston IVF are excellent...you cannot control the doctor that does your retrieval, only the one that makes your plan. Overall happy with Boston IVF, just not the retreival experience.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
As stated, I don't question his ability in the OR or necessarily his medical decisions. But his bedside manner (poor) makes a huge difference in patient satisfaction. I would not want him doing an egg retrieval on me again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I'm not his patient, he just did my retrieval. I won't have to see him again.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Overheard him being rude to a young woman near me who had eggs retrieved. Spoke to the nurse near her and said "I already told her." The patient (post-opp) who had not been addressed by name had to state that if he had told her, then she had forgotten. It seems reasonable to have to ask for this info twice (and get an answer kindly delivered) if you are coming out anesthesia. He was decent to me pre-opp but post-off was a bit rushed and rude. When I asked if he was going to freeze any immature eggs, rather than just say yes, he irratablity stated "You didn't go over that with your doctor?" He hadn't remembered our pre-surgery discussion either. Didn't seem to care. When I asked a simple question about how many mature follicles I ended up having going in, he dismissed me and said he didn't count them. I was told several times all of my eggs would be frozen right away - then later that day was told only some of them were frozen. The nurses at Boston IVF are excellent and I like my actuall doctor...but the man who did my retrieval needs a little more patience and improved bedside manner. The way you are spoken to during and after surgery can make all of the difference in the world. Unforuntaly, at Boston IVF, you cannot control the doctor that does your retrieval, only the one that makes your plan. Overall happy with Boston IVF, just not the retreival experience.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Primary Nurse )
The nurse I had a day of egg retrieval was phenomenal. She wasn't super knowledgeable about the egg freezing process but did her job as a surgical nurse very well. She was very kind. Very patient. I highly recommend Darlene (although the surgical nurse isn't something you can control). My doctor who coordinated care had a nurse who also always called me back the same day I left a voicemail. Brynna. My only wish is that were were able to communicate throgh messaging as well.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Again, I'm not his patient. He just did the retrieval. Costs were about $12K
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Most of the clinical was wonderful. No one called me back about my genetic testing results for a very long time, so I had to call and find out. Overall it was a fine experience. I just didn't like the Dr. who did my retrieval and how you can have no control whatsoever who the Dr. who does your retrieval will be. It also takes a long time to get a follow up after retrieval to go over results (a couple weeks or so)
David Ryley
Waltham

Dr.Penzias was always incredibly respectful and took his time explaining everything to us. He is very detailed and will share endless reports, graphs, charts, studies with you if you want to hear how he makes his decisions with your care. He has a clear passion for what he does and seems genuinely happy for you when you achieve the family you want.... The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board.
Boston IVF is incredible organized. Each doctor has a full team that follows their patients care. The only difficulty I ever had was dealing with the folks talking with insurance. I had the sense that the REs all communicate and share the most recent studies with each other and that our care was always based on the latest well respected studies.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Feel comfortable questioning his choices as he is a wealth of information and will walk you through it all!
Dr.Penzias treated my husband and I like humans, not a number. We were always greeted by a smile, he always listened to our questions and fought hard for us when insurance thought we were not good candidates for using my own eggs. He never gave up and made sure we knew not to give up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tanner)
Sarah Tanner was incredible. She was upbeat, clear with instructions, greeted us with a hug like we became family and was genuinely thrilled for us when we were able to start our family.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I am incredibly fortunate to live in a state that my healthcare covers much of the expenses of my IVF. I only have minimal copays for the medications and treatments/procedures.
The first two rounds we did single embryo transfers and any remaining never made it to freeze. The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board. I ended up successfully having two beautiful daughters from that cycle and am currently pregnant with one from the one remaining frozen embryo we had from our 3rd cycle.
Waltham

My doctor [Dr. Kuohung] recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach... was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency...I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well... I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr Kuohung struck a really good balance between maintaining a positive outlook while acknowledging the realities we faced. One of the things I appreciated most about Dr Kuohung was her willingness to answer all of my questions thoroughly and patiently. At several points throughout treatment, she helped my partner and I to identify the pros and cons of each option, referred to current research, and clarified her explanations for us when we had trouble grasping some of the scientific concepts that were unfamiliar to us. In deciding how many embryos to transfer, she was able to state her recommendation and rationale clearly, and also able to take into account our feelings about each option. I really appreciated her ability to balance her professional expertise with consideration for our opinions and priorities.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
When I began my IVF treatment, I was not familiar with many of the concepts and terms that need to be discussed. Dr kuohung did a very good job explaining much of this to me in an accessible manner, but I was still left feeling that I wanted a better understanding. Once I learned more of the terms I found it easier to understand our conversations. Having a better understanding of the background medical concepts made me feel more able to be an active agent in my treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr. Kuohung was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
Describe the protocols Wendy Kuohung used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don’t remember the specific stimulation protocol we used but I know we chose it with the assumption that Iould be a poor responder due to my age. I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic was visually pleasant, nurses were friendly and efficient and I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
My treatment for this cycle was covered by insurance.
Describe Wendy Kuohung's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
My doctor recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach
Wendy Kuohung

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Even though I was 40 and had low reserve, was a poor responder he [Dr. Alan Penzias] didn't tell us donor eggs were the only choice. He know how we wanted our own child and he said out what our chances were. He has worked with us to optimize how many eggs we get but my eggs are not fertilizing. He is not encouraging or promoting of alternative therapies or naturopathic treatments to improve quality as he thinks they make minimal impact. But he will approve them and supplaments that I chose to do.
Their [Boston IVF-RSC] strengths are that due to their size you can cycle any time and they do egg retrevial and transfers every day of the year. I also love the Domar Center located at their Waltham location. Acupuncture there is awesome with all practioners and the nutritionist was very helpful too. You do not usually get your doctor for retrevial, but mine came in once special to do just mine or a weekend morning. Billing is frustrating as you never get an actual bill or breakdown, and now we are paying out of pocket so you pay ahead for the whole cycle and get reimbursed if you did not use all of the plan treatments.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Pandas was very responsive to questions and requests, even while traveling He is accessible thru the nurse or via email. He was also flexible with us as far as having conference calls when we couldnt meet at his office due to schedule conflicts. We found him as he came highly rated to us from a Chief of another department Even though I was 40 and had low reserve, was a poor responder he didn't tell us donor eggs were the only choice. He know how we wanted our own child and he said out what our chances were. He has worked with us to optimize how many eggs we get but my eggs are not fertilizing. He is not encouraging or promoting of alternative therapies or naturopathic treatments to improve quality as he thinks they make minimal impact. But he will approve them and supplaments that I chose to do. I always keep him in the loop with what I am taking. He does like the use of acupuncture for transfer. We are looking to do another cycle or two with him at this point and looking at different treatment options. He has also gone to bat for us more than.once with the insurance company.
He is a down to earth person and a straight communicator that relies on data and proven methods. He is not on the cutting edge but it up to date on everything going on out that and looks to reliable data of success before recommending it to patients. He is very professional. Go in with lots of questions and you will come out with solid options to choose from.
He is very fact based but also very personable. He encourages questions and looking at new treatment plans and will discuss it all in detail and give you approx. Success rates of different options.
For my first cycle we did menopure and gonal f with Cetrotide to suppress, and during the cycle my dosing was upped as I was a poor responder. I ended up ovulating thru the Cetrotide is the cycle was candles. My next 2 cycles (the first I did immediately after the fist cycle as some research indicates that works better for older women) we switched to micro Lupton and stuck with the m &g. The first cycle we got 1 mature egg that did not fertalize naturally. I took a cycle off then the next cycle we used the same protocol and got I believe 3 eggs. They did not fertilize with ICSI, for the ones it could be used on. We switched to mini IVF since I was at max doses for stimulating meds but not getting good responses. Used Clomid with a hcg trigger (same as all the others) and got 6 eggs, 5 mature, none fertalize with ICSI. Took another few cycles off and did another mini IVF where I believe we got 3 or 4 eggs, nothing fertalized again. It has been attributed to my poor egg quality at my age, even though they look good at retrevial. Dr.P told me at my age less than maybe 1 in 12 eggs are chromosomaly normal, so it is a numbers game.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Mawn)
Sara is wonderful. Very compassionate and responsive. She was out for a while and we experienced other nursing staff. Most we great! At my first ERA biosposy, I was disappointed in the nursing as the 2 we not very professional, but my second biopsy was the exact opposite. It is a very large clinic so you will have interactions with many staff, but you also have a main point of contact.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their strengths are that due to their size you can cycle any time and they do egg retrevial and transfers every day of the year. I also love the Domar Center located at their Waltham location. Acupuncture there is awesome with all practioners and the nutritionist was very helpful too. You do not usually get your doctor for retrevial, but mine came in once special to do just mine or a weekend morning. Billing is frustrating as you never get an actual bill or breakdown, and now we are paying out of pocket so you pay ahead for the whole cycle and get reimbursed if you did not use all of the plan treatments. You do need to be on top of things as far as your treatment as there is not someone to walk you through the process once you are on treatment or remind you. Follow up is also on you. But nurse communication is great and so was the coordinator.
Our first 4 cycles were covered by insurance, but the PGS testing was not. He did appeal to insurance and got 2 cycles covered that were initially rejected by insurance. Out of pocket IVF was $7750 for the cycle plus 2500 for icsi and 980 for the embryoscoping (which was at our request). PGS was $3300 For 7 to 8 embryos and went up and down from that number For the mini IVF cycle it is $4950 and that includes ICSI but not PGS testing.
We haven't gotten to that point, but we originally talked about doing only FET transfers of PGS tested embryos and at my age, 1 or 2 at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My first Clomid challenge cycle i was not called with my results, which required a retest on another cycle, which ended up delaying the start of my treatment 3 months.
Waltham
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles...he had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
Diagnostic testing [at Boston IVF] that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs)... I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring...it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Penzias seemed to be very knowledgeable and had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
For the first 75% of my cycle I was under the care of a rotating stream of nurses. I would get monitoring result and other related calls from a different person each day, and they were not always on the same page. Some of the nurses were very nice and some were curt. I'm not sure if this was sorted out and they now have 1 dedicated nurse for Dr Penzias, but the rotating care was frustrating since i had to re-explain a concern or re-ask a question constantly to different people.
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles (he gave us the choice of IUI vs just timed relations each month - we did the latter due to our travel schedule) before we moved on to IVF. I was on standard Gonal F, ovidril, cetratide prior to egg retrieval and then progesterone in oil prior to embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
The latter reviews for primary nurse are specifically for Sara and Ashley. In the first portion of my time with Dr Penzias I was treated by a rotating schedule of nurses which was frustrating. But when Sara was working she was very attentive, compassionate, super responsive and helpful and then when Ashley took over she was also amazing.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Even though Boston IVF Waltham is a large center, it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there. If you can look past these administrative issues, I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring.
Our insurance ended up covering our IVF cycle, but we were quoted about 15k for the cycle. Diagnostic testing that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs).
Waltham

We saw Carla [DiGirolamo] for a second opinion after we had 4 failed IVF ICSI treatments with our first doctor. She was completely upfront with us from the moment we walked in the door. She explained that with our male factor issue that the best possible way to have a baby was to do the out of pocket PGS testing....She chose to put me on 2mg of estrace and baby aspirin daily leading up to my retreival. I was also on crinone afterwards. I dont recall my trigger shot. My egg was frozen for PGS testing and we transferred the one good egg about a month after the tests came back.
The nice thing about the Westborough office [Boston IVF] is how small it is. There isn't a lot of people there in the AM for blood or ultrasound and this make the wait shorter. It feels a little less like a doctors office.... Everyone I worked with was excellent. After years of treatments, my veins were weak and they always had trouble getting one, but we worked through it together. They were gentle and always made sure I was doing okay.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
We saw Carla for a second opinion after we had 4 failed IVF ICSI treatments with our first doctor. She was completely upfront with us from the moment we walked in the door. She explained that with our male factor issue that the best possible way to have a baby was to do the out of pocket PGS testing. We agreed and we finally have our miracle baby! Carla was amazing, she explained everything to us and answered every question we had along the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Ask all the questions you want to know, she will be honest and explain them to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She was honest with us and made us feel like we were there to create a human life and not just a patient of hers. She was kind, and always happy to see us, especially when she told us the results of our PGS results.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The nice thing about the Westborough office is how small it is. There isn't a lot of people there in the AM for blood or ultrasound and this make the wait shorter. It feels a little less like a doctors office.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
As stated in a previous response, monitoring was easy here. The clinic is small so the wait was usually short. The nurses were kind and never seemed to feel rushed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
We were lucky enough to have insurance pay for most of our treatments. So I don't recall the numbers.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We didn't have a choice. I only had one egg survive.
Carla DiGirolamo
Waltham

He [Dr. Penzias] really took the time to explain every part of our care....He showed us a power point with different statistics concerning sub fertility and seeing it on the screen really helped me understand the process....During our consultation he knew we had done 4 rounds of clomid without any pregnancies, so he suggested we try Letrozole for one month and then an IUI....He was also available for phone consultations which were really helpful.
The only frustrating part about the clinics [Boston IVF] were the locations....at times for treatment, I actually would have to travel to Albany (over 3 hours from my house) to do the procedures. I worked with MIchelle primarily....She always called me back same day and was really good with answering all my questions.... I also really liked that my clinic had a portal where all my information was stored. That made it easy to upload blood work orders, instructions for injections, etc.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
As a patient there were times where his eagerness definitely encouraged me. He listened to me when I told him I had a really hard time being on Clomid and he suggested Letrozole. When I started Letrozole he was very interested and concerned about how I was doing on that (I did very well on it). He explained to me why he thought Letrozole was a better fit for me than Clomid and that helped me a lot. He also explained why I wasn't ovulating every month and did a really good job going through the idea of sub fertility (people who are experiencing infertility with a diagnosis). At times I felt frustrated by our lack of diagnosis, but because he spent so much time explaining that we were not infertile but sub fertile, it made me feel much better.
Ask questions. Any questions. He can answer them!
He really took the time to explain every part of our care. He even met with us in between treatments to talk about next steps if our IUI did not work. He showed us a power point with different statistics concerning sub fertility and seeing it on the screen really helped me understand the process. Had he just spoken to us with no visuals, I would have had a really hard time following along. He was also available for phone consultations which were really helpful.
During our consultation he knew we had done 4 rounds of clomid without any pregnancies, so he suggested we try Letrozole for one month and then an IUI. I was very fortunate that my IUI worked on the first round. I have no idea if it was the Letrozole that helped more or the IUI. For my second pregnancy, I want to try going on Letrozole for a month with intercourse to see if that works.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
I worked with MIchelle primarily. She was the person I spoke with the most. She always called me back same day and was really good with answering all my questions. She was good with giving me all the information that I would need, but not overwhelming me either. I also really liked that my clinic had a portal where all my information was stored. That made it easy to upload blood work orders, instructions for injections, etc.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only frustrating part about the clinics were the locations. I went to the Boston IVF Center in Syracuse initially but the clinic doesn't have their own location (they share a building with Upstate Medical Center). Often times my doctor wasn't available to meet in Syracuse (because he was actually based in Massachusetts!) and so at times for treatment, I actually would have to travel to Albany (over 3 hours from my house) to do the procedures. When I initially contacted Boston IVF- Syracuse, I thought everything would be done in Syracuse. However, if I wasn't willing to drive to Albany, my care would have been delayed. So we made the sacrifice and traveled to Albany.
Our insurance covered mostly everything (we have amazing insurance). But I do remember looking at the EOB and between blood tests, genetic testing, prescription, the sample collection, and the IUI- we were close to $5,000. We only paid deductibles in the range of $20-40.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My husband had to drive to Albany for a genetic test and when he arrived the nurse didn't take blood for the genetic test. She took blood for a different test (the wrong one). Our primary nurse was really nice about it and felt terrible that he drove over 6 hours that day (since Albany is 3 hours from our house) and to make it right they sent him a genetic spit test.
Waltham

Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider.... I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff...Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus.
[Boston IVF] Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning...Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: . Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider. I do not feel as though the IVF treatment was tailored to my husband and I's specific fertility challenges. I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff. We had a Day 3 fresh transfer in round 2 without prior understanding of this strategy being utilized. The Day 3 fresh transfer felt like a financial decision to ensure complete billing of the cycle rather than a decision that would result in a successful pregnancy.
Consider a second opinion.
During my cycles I only had contact with the nursing staff, despite a change protocols the drugs ordered were incorrect, we did a day 3 embryo transfer on cycle 2 despite prior poor embryo survival in the first round.
Bicornuate uterus requiring single embryo transfer. Cycle 1 started on 06-Jul-2017: OCP/Antagonist - birth control, 375 Gonal F + 75 Menopur, cetrotide, ovidrel. Crinone vaginal progesterone. Resulted in retrieval of 9 eggs, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 3 embryos made it to Day 3, 2 embryos made it to Day 5. Fresh transfer of 1 embryo at Day 5. Acupuncture twice after embryo transfer. Remaining embryo did not survive for freezing. Menstruation occurred 4-5 days after transfer. Negative pregnancy test. Cycle 2 started on 08-Oct-2017: OCP/Microdose Lupron - birth control, microdose Lupron 10 IU (am & pm), 475 IU Gonal F, 75 IU menopur, Ovidrel. Resulted in retrieval of 12 eggs (10 mature). Intramuscular progesterone injections twice a day. Two eggs fertilized (ICSI) with fresh transfer at Day 3 of one embryo. Second embryo was necrotic at Day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Merchant)
After completing the birth control for cycle 1 the nurse informed me that we would not be abel to proceed with the cycle because my husband had not completed the Counsyl screening. At no point had this testing been communicated as a contingency for proceeding with the cycle. I asked to speak with the Dr. Penzias but received a call from the nursing manager explaining that Amanda had mistakenly not given me the correct information regarding the completion of the Counsyl testing being a requirement. The nursing manager gave me the option to either waive my husband's testing or to have the testing done as soon as possible while the IVF cycle continued. After my embryo transfer I was not told to schedule a follow-up visit with Dr. Penzias which resulted in my not being able to proceed to the next cycle until an additional month had passed. Before cycle 2 I shared my concerns with Dr. Penzias that Amanda seemed to be disorganized and the communication was not ideal. I met with Amanda to discuss the next cycle and I asked her whether I was able to combine the drugs for the second cycle and if it was possible for me to utilize any drugs I had left over from the previous cycle. Amanda indicated that she did not know and referred me to the pharmacy. The pharmacy stated that my clinic should provide a response about mixing of medications. The second cycle started with my receiving Cetrotide despite this medication being removed from my protocol. It was confirmed that the error was in the orders coming from Dr. Penzias' office. For both cycles I was given the incorrect time for my embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning which is convenient for testing before work. Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: You never see the same surgeon or embryologist. Contact with your doctor is extremely limited. Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
$1200 for the first cycle including preliminary testing. I have not yet been billed for the second cycle.
Utilized single embryo transfer due to bicornuate uterus making multiple pregnancy a risk to my health.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus. For both cycles I was given the incorrect appointment time for my embryo transfer. The first time I was told to arrive at 7:30 but the appointment wasn't until 9 am. The second time I was told to arrive at 8:30 but the appointment wasn't scheduled until 10:45. I received the inappropriate medications for cycle 2. For cycle 2 I was not given my pregnancy test results until almost 5 days after the test.