Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Dr. DiGirolamo is a good communicator who offers helpful explanations and spoke to me at my level (I am a healthcare provider). She took the time to explain the issues I was facing and her recommendations for a plan...I felt listened to and that my specific concerns and questions were addressed....I only recently underwent testing to determine my ovarian reserve, hormone levels, etc. I have only had one cycle of IUI so far.
The clinic [Boston IVF] seems very organized and communicates very well and effectively with patients. I always get a person on the phone when I call, L and when I’ve had to leave messages I get called back quickly. Their website is a little bit confusing, but nothing unmanageable...The nurses were friendly, warm, organized, and informative...I felt listened to and that my specific concerns and questions were addressed.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. DiGirolamo is a good communicator who offers helpful explanations and spoke to me at my level (I am a healthcare provider). She took the time to explain the issues I was facing and her recommendations for a plan. I am still undergoing treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Write down all of your questions in advance so you remember everything you want to ask her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
I felt listened to and that my specific concerns and questions were addressed.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were friendly, warm, organized, and informative.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic seems very organized and communicates very well and effectively with patients. I always get a person on the phone when I call, L and when I’ve had to leave messages I get called back quickly. Their website is a little bit confusing, but nothing unmanageable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
The costs were covered by insurance after I met my deductible. The cost seemed reasonable compared to other fertility clinics.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I don’t have a comment on this.
Waltham
He was very optimistic but not blindly so. He was very friendly and made a sad and uncomfortable process much easier. He talked to us like humans and made me more optimistic than my previously two failed transfers... With my previous doctor i felt like a number but with Dr ryley i felt like he truly cared about me and was very personable... He recommend SET for my age which is mid 20/... He did my transfer but my third one so my embryos were already frozen
Too many patients and not enough nurses. You do feel like a number sometimes. Also my first doctor was more pushy about only transferring one even though it’s ultimatrly up to me. That said i know they [Boston IVF] have a large number of patients but hiring more nurses should be a priority. Also telling people their transfer time a few days before the actual day rather than the day before would be helpful for planning purposes but other than that the fertility clinic is good
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He is very kind and has great compassion and warmth for patients
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
He did my transfer but my third one so my embryos were already frozen
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They treated me a little mord like a number and i know they have a lot of patients but they could have been more organized maybe by hiring more nurses
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Too many patients and not enough nurses. You do feel like a number sometimes. Also my first doctor was more pushy about only transferring one even though it’s ultimatrly up to me. That said i know they have a large number of patients but hiring more nurses should be a priority. Also telling people their transfer time a few days before the actual day rather than the day before would be helpful for planning purposes but other than that the fertility clinic is good
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I do not remember
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
None. He recommend SET for my age which is mid 20/
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Just not ordering the blood test that they told me they had ordered

2015 - 2017, Successful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Surrogacy With Other Docs
He [Dr. Bayer] would call you himself. Communication was clear. Returned calls in a reasonable time. Actually cared...cared about all of us, Parents and Surrogate. He communicated to all of us equally, and didn’t shrug things off or treat you like another dollar sign. He gave great advice, and education in a way that we all could understand. We all felt extremely cared for and relaxed- opposed to the first time with another provider.
Amanda, Julia and Dawn [nurses at Boston IVF] were all contacts at one point and were very responsive...The clinic was very clean, easily accessible for even out of state patients, and had ample parking. They also offered beverages and had a good waiting room. They were timely. Front staff was helpful...I’m glad he [Dr. Steven Bayer] did two embryos, even with the resulted triplets- it ended up being worth the risk. We were lucky the babies and myself were all healthy.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Bayer cared about all of us, Parents and Surrogate. He communicated to all of us equally, and didn’t shrug things off or treat you like another dollar sign. He gave great advice, and education in a way that we all could understand. We all felt extremely cared for and relaxed- opposed to the first time with another provider.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
You will love him. He will make you feel at ease.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
He would call you himself. Communication was clear. Returned calls in a reasonable time. Actually cared.
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Progesterone IM every 3 days, two pills of estrodial vaginally twice a day, and progesterone vaginally twice a day. Then we did the transfer two embryos each time. First pregnancy with him was a singleton, second was triplets.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
Amanda, Julia and Dawn were all contacts at one point and were very responsive.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
I did not handle finances
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I’m glad he did two embryos, even with the resulted triplets- it ended up being worth the risk. We were lucky the babies and myself were all healthy.
Steven Bayer
Waltham

Dr. Penzias is a kind, gentle man. He often reminded me he was on our team and there to support us. He is very knowledgeable and patient. He can easily reached and always followed up with a personalized letter...He will always be regarded as one of my best doctors. He took the time to care for us and helps us through this difficult journey. He was patient, kind and well rounded. He followed a well balanced approach (medical, physical and emotional)
I think the clinic [Boston IVF] is great, recently renovated. Clean building and friendly staff. Strengths - welcome desk greeter (Debbie); flow of the building; well oprganized Weaknesses - hard to identify any weaknesses...3 rounds of IVF (estradiol -&gt; injectibles -. retrieval -&gt; embryo transfer) 1 round of IVF (estradiol -&gt; injectibles -. retrieval -&gt; assisted hatching -.&gt; embryo transfer)...Dr. Penzias is a kind, gentle man. He often reminded me he was on our team and there to support us.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Don't hesitate to schedule with him
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the clinic is great, recently renovated. Clean building and friendly staff. Strengths - welcome desk greeter (Debbie); flow of the building; well oprganized Weaknesses - hard to identify any weaknesses

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Sneeringer personally kept me updated on the progress of my embryos after retrieval. She was compassionate and let me lead the way with choices. She would explain all the possible outcomes but I never felt pressured to do anything. She was really aggressive (in a good way) and I got pregnant with my first Ivf !...Dr. Sneeringer was patient and kind. She walked me through each possible outcome forwards and backwards.
[At Boston IVF] We did 3 timed cycles with ovulation induction and 2 iui cycles before a freeze alll Ivf retrieval and transfer. She had me freeze all to allow my body recovery time from the hormones and give me a better chance of getting pregnant with the transfer...I had a lot of anxiety which she and her staff worked to calm..Sometimes it's a long wait for testing in the morning but the staff is amazing
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was patient and kind. She walked me through each possible outcome forwards and backwards. I had a lot of anxiety which she and her staff worked to calm
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Sometimes it's a long wait for testing in the morning but the staff is amazing
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr suggested a single transfer based on my age and testing

2011, Unsuccessful
I did not have much communication with the doctor [Rita Sneeringer] other than the initial consult and then a meeting at the end to review the cycle. She did not attempt to connect to us or help make us feel comfortable with the situation we were about to go through...
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] was unremarkable and not particularly memorable. Don't have many comments about them. I do remember the testing staff, particularly ultrasound technicians telling me not to complain if I was experiencing pain...Very focused on the money, they run behind on appointments for retrieval and transfer. The testing staff was never very friendly, phlebotomists and ultrasound technicians jump to my mind.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I did not have much communication with the doctor other than the initial consult and then a meeting at the end to review the cycle. She did not attempt to connect to us or help make us feel comfortable with the situation we were about to go through
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Ask for a lot of questions and be very comfortable before proceeding
The doctor did not in any time try to connect and Boston IVF was always sending bills, even ones that were incorrect
Lupron with GonalF
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was unremarkable and not particularly memorable. Don't have many comments about them. I do remember the testing staff, particularly ultrasound technicians telling me not to complain if I was experiencing pain.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
It ran well and you could be in and out soon, but the technicians were not friendly
Waltham

[Dr. Alan S. Penzias was] Knowledgeable but didn't have a great bedside manner. He was uncomfortable having conversations with me and I felt rushed. He did however respond via email which was nice. He promised to provide me with follow up information after my three failed IVF cycles but I nevermind heard from him.... Don't expect him to be there every step of the way. He is only there behind the scenes. You almost never have contact with him.
[Boston IVF has] Great hours. Always available for help. They are big so there's not too much personal care. I wish they provided free counseling after the failed cycles. I also wish there was more follow up after my treatments. They dropped me like a hot potato after the third failed round.... Don't expect him to be there every step of the way. He is only there behind the scenes. You almost never have contact with him.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
With my insurance, I paid 7-10k for 2 rounds of IVF.
2005 - 2011, Successful
Brian Berger is a wonderful doctor and has a great bedside manner. Kind, funny, calm and wicked smart....Brian is awesome. From start to finish he patiently answered all of our questions, anticipated our concerns in advance, and was so knowledgeable. He is so skilled at problem solving, even when the answer was out of reach to us, he put us at ease every step of the way. We knew we were seeing the best doctor around...Ask all the questions. Don't hesitate!
I have no complaints. I love Boston IVF in Waltham!...I didn't work with them [the nursing staff] too frequently but when I did they were professional, knowledgeable, empathetic and kind...[Dr. Brian Berger] is awesome. From start to finish he patiently answered all of our questions, anticipated our concerns in advance, and was so knowledgeable. He is so skilled at problem solving, even when the answer was out of reach to us, he put us at ease every step of the way. We knew we were seeing the best doctor around.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Ask all the questions. Don't hesitate!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I'm sorry I don't remember.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I didn't work with them too frequently but when I did they were professional, knowledgeable, empathetic and kind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I have no complaints. I love Boston IVF in Waltham!
Brian Berger
2010 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Sneeringer was very accessible. If I had a question, she would always call me back, even if it seemed like the nurses could answer it...I had a lot of anxiety during the treatments and it was an incredibly difficult time in my life. She was very empathetic and provided lots of resources to help me out.
Scheduling all the diagnostic tests was difficult with my teaching schedule-- plan well in advance. [Boston IVF nurses had] empathy and respect for timing (they knew and appreciated that everyone is very busy).
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
She was very accessible. If I had a question, she would always call me back, even if it seemed like the nurses could answer it. She was kind and compassionate and performed all my procedures except for one.
I never felt like our appointments were rushed. She took as long as we needed to answer all of our questions and went through all of the procedures thoroughly. I had a lot of anxiety during the treatments and it was an incredibly difficult time in my life. She was very empathetic and provided lots of resources to help me out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Empathy and respect for timing (they knew and appreciated that everyone is very busy)

2012 - 2014, Successful
Dr Pauli was clear, straightforward, experienced. He made adjustments to treatment as the first cycles weren't working as planned. Ultimately, I got pregnant after the 3rd cycle, with 2 embryos to freeze, and got pregnant again with a frozen embryo on the first frozen cycle...Personal phone calls, as needed. Nurses and technicians in the clinic were wonderful.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Friendly, helpful, compassionate, straightforward.
Samuel Pauli

2009 - 2010, Unsuccessful
I don't have strong memories of the nursing staff since I didn't do any major procedures at this clinic.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He put me on clomid three times, one of those times I got pregnant. He told me "call me when you have the baby." I miscarried a few days later. He is kind and compassionate but didn't seem to go the extra mile to really figure out if this was the right course of action.
Ask many questions
He and the team were caring and friendly.
Waltham
Ask any question you have and make sure to tell him everything. Use his expertise.
I got OHSS [Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome] and the nurses took amazing care of me
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias was throrough and detailed and thoughtful. I appreciated his honesty and patience. He was confident yet caring. He seemed very busy but always gave us sufficient time. I would highly recommend him.
Although he was busy, he cared and took time for us
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I got OHSS and the nurses took amazing care of me. very thoughtful and compassionate
Waltham

Dr Sneeringer was very down to earth and personable. I felt like I had known her for years... She treated us with respect and kindness at all times! She was so wonderful every step of the way!! She is optimistic and positive which is what you need if you need IVF treatment! She was also compassionate when we had our first miscarriage! She is the doctor you want on your team!!...I absolutely, 100%, recommend Dr Sneeringer!
Wendy [nurse at Boston IVF] was amazing from day one!! She was very knowledgeable and helpful! She responded to emails and phone calls promptly!...Every aspect of my experience was great!...Dr Sneeringer was very down to earth and personable. I felt like I had known her for years... She treated us with respect and kindness at all times!She was so wonderful every step of the way!!
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I absolutely, 100%, recommend Dr Sneeringer! She was a miracle worker as far as I’m concerned. She treated us with respect and kindness at all times! She was so wonderful every step of the way!! She is optimistic and positive which is what you need if you need IVF treatment! She was also compassionate when we had our first miscarriage! She is the doctor you want on your team!!
Trust her! She knows what she is talking about!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Craw (amazing))
Wendy was amazing from day one!! She was very knowledgeable and helpful! She responded to emails and phone calls promptly!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Every aspect of my experience was great! I had a very bad experience at Fertility Solutions so I was very hesitant at first. From the beginning, Dr Sneeringer and her nurse, Wendy, were amazing to us. We knew we made the right choice! The course of treatment worked because we now have 6 month twins!! We are very thankful and appreciative!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
Expensive. We had to pay out of pocket for everything. Insurance did not cover anything for us.
Waltham

[Dr. Rita Sneeringer] was very personable, patient and sympathetic towards our situation. She was extremely knowledgeable and approached each meeting with customized recommendations based on our preferences, and how my body was responding to treatment...We felt completely comfortable and confident in her plan of action. We had A LOT of questions and she was extremely patient. We can’t say enough great things about her. I’ve already recommended her to several friends and coworkers.
We did a freeze all egg retrieval, phs testing and fet [at Boston IVF]...Clinic strengths: organized, atmosphere is nice, clean, staff is friendly Clinic weaknesses: typically a little slow, road clinic is on has major pot holes- more of just a general commuting annoyance...Schedule your initial appointment sooner rather than later...books up quickly...Dr Sneeringer was very personable, patient and sympathetic towards our situation. She was extremely knowledgeable and approached each meeting with customized recommendations based on our preferences, and how my body was responding to treatment.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Schedule your initial appointment sooner rather than later. She books up quickly.
We did a freeze all egg retrieval, phs testing and fet
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clinic strengths: organized, atmosphere is nice, clean, staff is friendly Clinic weaknesses: typically a little slow, road clinic is on has major pot holes- more of just a general commuting annoyance Nothing else to share here
Waltham

We had a horrible experience with Dr Alper! After failed IUIs, we did an IVF cycle where 21 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo came out of it due to poor quality eggs from his set protocol. He also did not put me on metformin despite my pcos. When we met to review, he said he wouldn’t change my protocol going forward. We switched to CCrM Boston with Dr Zimon and got 11 embryos and I’m not currently pregnant. Please don’t waste your time with him!
Boston ivf is like a factory but you get in and out quick for ultrasounds. You also get a random doctor doing your retrieval and transfer. Ultrasounds are done by techs rather than the doctors themselves (like CCrM Boston).... Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!... Very basic pre set protocol with dosing. I was on gonal-f and certitude. Trigger was ovidrel.... He follows pre-set protocols and does not adjust medications or care plans based on your situation.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Run!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!
Michael Alper
Waltham
He [Dr. Ryley] is the best and very helpful...was very adamant about using one embryo versus two, I only had two and he was sure that one was enough because it was of great quality. He was correct...He was very upbeat and positive, he gave me the reassurance I needed...explained everything to me so I could understand...He was calm and helped me stay calm...He was reassuring during my embryo transfer.
I love this clinic [Boston IVF]! Everything was perfect...Everyone is helpful and the atmosphere is relaxed...The nurses are nice...I loved how I was always listened to and no question seemed silly...They always valued my thoughts...He [Dr. Ryley] is the best and very helpful...was very adamant about using one embryo versus two, I only had two and he was sure that one was enough because it was of great quality.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He was extremely tentative and explained everything to me so I could understand He was calm and helped me stay calm He was very positive He was reassuring during my embryo transfer. He explained everything as he did it and made sure the nurses with him knew his every move Lots of communication
He is the best and very helpful
He was very upbeat and positive, he gave me the reassurance I needed
Amazing
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I love this clinic! Everything was perfect Everyone is helpful and the atmosphere is relaxed The nurses are nice and they at there to make the visits easier I loved how I was always listened to and no question seemed silly They always valued my thoughts
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Expensive thank goodness for health insurance
He was very adamant about using one embryo versus two, I only had two and he was sure that one was enough because it was of great quality. He was correct
Waltham

[The nurses at Boston IVF were] Very compassionate and kind...Sometimes appointments are booked far out, but their treatment is worth it. Be open to different paths that will change during the process. The people do do the ultrasounds and blood draws are super friendly!...She [Dr. Thornton] never rushed conversations...Extremely knowledgeable, easy to talk to and gave us choices. We always felt like we had a say in the changes to the plans. She was very thorough. Sometimes getting an follow up appointment was hard because she is so busy. I missed a cycle because of it. Not sure if that was her schedulers fault though.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be patient
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She never rushed conversations
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Very compassionate and kind.

2015 - 2018, Successful
[Dr. Sneeringer has] Excellent bed side manner, very understanding and knowledgeable. Takes her time to address any issues or concerns. Does not make you feel rushed and is empathetic to your specific situation...Willingness to be available to discuss any issues/concerns. Quick to respond to emails and phone calls...Patient when your acting crazy on IVF meds. Kind and caring. Most importantly, created protocols that resulted in 2 ivf cycles and 2 healthy baby boys. I am forever grateful.
[Nurses at Boston IVF are] Always available, prompt via phone and email, understanding and patient, excellent bed side manner, easy to talk to/good communication, personable, kind, caring and knowledgeable. Takes the time to make sure you understand everything...It was relatively quick. I was usually seen immediately...Easy to make an appt however sometimes they have booked up in advance. The staff is great about calling if there has been a cancellation. The environment is modern, welcoming and clean. All front desk and registration staff are really friendly.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Exceptional bed side manner. Willingness to be available to discuss any issues/concerns. Quick to respond to emails and phone calls. Empathetic to my situation. Understanding and knowledgeable. Patient when your acting crazy on IVF meds. Kind and caring. Most importantly, created protocols that resulted in 2 ivf cycles and 2 healthy baby boys. I am forever grateful.
Don’t wait any longer! The answers you’re seeking are with her!
Ivf fresh cycle: injectables: gonal f, ganirelix, ovidrel and crinone progesterone. FET cycle: estrace, estrogen patches and crinone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Megan )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
It was relatively quick. I was usually seen immediately.
It was covered by insurance. I had to pay a copay at each visit and for medications.
I had a mu
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Digirolamo created a warm and welcoming environment, which help with the stress of not knowing what to expect, durning the consultation. She was compassionate and empathy to my needs, addressing my concerns and answering all questions. She is very knowledgeable and explained everything in detail regarding what I would be experiencing, testing, medicine, cost of the procedure and potential outcomes.
Nursing staff [at Boston IVF- Waltham] was very professional, efficient, knowledgeable and follow up with you regarding up coming appointments and procedures.... Everyone listen to concerns and answer my questions with compassion and empathy. They explain the truth regarding my situation, with solution and options. My doctor was very knowledgeable as well as her team and the follow up was excellent.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Come prepared to ask as many questions as you want. Do not hold back, she will ensure you leave knowing and feeling more comfortable.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staff was very professional, efficient, knowledgeable and follow up with you regarding up coming appointments and procedures.
Carla DiGirolamo
Lots of experience, lots of evidence based medicine---he [Dr Alan Penzias] was able to answer my questions with trials/studies. The clinic is massive, so you often have different docs for procedures. In general a very nice man who is helpful and open.... lupron flare for DOR. Decent results for what we expected... [Boston IVF- Waltham is a] Huge clinic which could be a strength since they have lots of experience, but also you may see other docs for the procedures. People are generally friendly. There is also a well being center on site for acupuncture/counseling (although we never utilized it). Because of how large the practice is, it was easier to find times which worked with my schedule.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Lots of experience, lots of evidence based medicine---he was able to answer my questions with trials/studies. The clinic is massive, so you often have different docs for procedures. In general a very nice man who is helpful and open.
Took plenty of time to explain things to us
lupron flare for DOR. Decent results for what we expected
busy but generally helpful
MA has great coverage

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
[Dr. Sneeringer] is incredibly caring, but also very straight forward. Most of our conversations involved laughter, honesty and she always clearly communicated with me what the next steps were...IVF can be brutal and Rita's wonderful personality, candid demeanor and sense of humor were a great reprieve from the hardships of IVF. I would highly recommend her to anyone!
Meg [nurse at Boston IVF] was terrible at returning phone calls, getting on the phone and she never explained anything. She just automatically assumed you knew what she was talking about. If i hadn't liked [Dr. Sneeringer] so much, i would have left BIVF...Egg donation coordinator is awful and so loud. You get a headache just trying tu talk to her. Financial coordinator is nice enough, but could user better organization skills. Other nursing staff, front desk lady we're all super nice.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Rita was a recommendation from a girlfriend of mine and I am so grateful that she passed along Rita's name. IVF can be brutal and Rita's wonderful personality, candid demeanor and sense of humor were a great reprieve from the hardships of IVF. I would highly recommend her to anyone!
Trust her
Rita is incredibly caring, but also very straight forward. Most of our conversations involved laughter, honesty and she always clearly communicated with me what the next steps were.
No clue
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg Kennedy)
Meg was terrible at returning phone calls, getting on the phone and she never explained anything. She just automatically assumed you knew what she was talking about. If i hadn't liked Rita so much, i would have left BIVF.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
First cycle covered by insurance. Donor cycle was OOO.
We wanted just one child, so we transferred one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Honestly, I've blocked most of it out to save my sanity. They need some better administrators in there though.
Waltham

She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] is very straight forward with information, but also explains everything well. Interactions with her are limited. Her personality isn’t very warm, but you can still tell she does care an did compassionate about what you’re going through. She doesnt seem to be open to my suggestions sometime as I’m not a healthcare professional. She recently emailed to check on me during the pandemic which was surprising, but very nice and thoughtful!
Their [Boston IVF] online portal need a lot of help. I wish they would utilize it more to get information to their patients quicker. They are clean and organized. Their method of sign in is good if it’s looked at carefully by the nurses (I’ve been skipped before). Everyone I’ve interacted with at both locations have been very warm and helpful...No one checked in on me and how i was doing during and after each cycles result.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She is very straight forward with information, but also explains everything well. Interactions with her are limited. Her personality isn’t very warm, but you can still tell she does care an did compassionate about what you’re going through. She doesnt seem to be open to my suggestions sometime as I’m not a healthcare professional. She recently emailed to check on me during the pandemic which was surprising, but very nice and thoughtful!
Don’t let your initial reaction to her personality steer you away. She does know what she is doing and she does care, even if it can seem like she doesn’t.
I only got to speak with her twice in the last few months. No one checked in on me and how i was doing during and after each cycles result.
We were given a treatment plan of injections and IUI procedure. Cd 3 start Gonal-F, ultrasound scans and bloodwork every other day, once follicles we’re mature take Ovidrel (trigger shot) then scheduled IUI. We did this twice with a negative result. We were set to try a 3rd time but the pandemic happened. The reason for 3 was insurance purposes. She said she felt confident that we would have good results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brynna )
She is very compassionate and takes the time to answer all questions. She also calls back in timely fashion.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their online portal need a lot of help. I wish they would utilize it more to get information to their patients quicker. They are clean and organized. Their method of sign in is good if it’s looked at carefully by the nurses (I’ve been skipped before). Everyone I’ve interacted with at both locations have been very warm and helpful.
Consultation cost us $150.00 out of pocket. Each medication was $30 per refill/per drug. I haven’t received full billing amount for all cycles yet.
Westborough
From the get go, Dr. DiGirolamo was very warm, honest and straight forward. She spent a lot of time with my husband and I during our initial appointments, answering all of our questions and talking through our miscarriages and test results...Dr. D was very straight forward with us and told us IVF was pretty much our only option to ensure a successful pregnancy. It took a little while longer than I expected to get everything started but once we did it was very structured and disciplined.
The nurses [at IVF New England] were amazing. They were very nice/warm/kind and thorough. They were available to me 24/7 and were always able to answer my questions...I showed up for one appointment for bloodwork and ultrasound that wasn't in the queue. They called the nurses right away and got me on the schedule.I only had to wait an extra ten minutes. Nothing really went wrong and everyone was apologetic and got me in just fine.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
From the get go, Dr. DiGirolamo was very warm, honest and straight forward. She spent a lot of time with my husband and I during our initial appointments, answering all of our questions and talking through our miscarriages and test results. For one appointment we had to bring our 3 year old son and she was very accommodating. Infertility makes anyone vulnerable and anxious and I felt comfortable with her from day 1. Unfortunately, during my retrieval (performed by another dr) a blood vessel was nicked and I had internal bleeding in my abdomen. I went to the ER and had to be admitted into the hospital. During this time Dr. D was on vacation so another doctor called to check in on me. When Dr. D returned from vacation she called me right away even though we had an appointment scheduled for a few days later. I never felt like a number and always felt like she saw me as a person.
Take advantage of your time with her. Be honest about your anxieties/questions/history etc.
My husband and I have a three year old son who was conceived very effortlessly. Once we started trying again we had two consecutive miscarriages. To me this was very very confusing. Our trouble wasn't in getting pregnant, but staying pregnant. I went into this with an open mind but also didn't think we would need to do IVF. Dr. D was very straight forward with us and told us IVF was pretty much our only option to ensure a successful pregnancy. It took a little while longer than I expected to get everything started but once we did it was very structured and disciplined. I started with birth control to calm my ovaries, prevent clotting and regulate my cycle. From there we moved onto injectible hormones and I was doing three by the end of it. I know menopur was one but I forget the other two. The shots weren't as bad as I thought and I ended up doing them on my own in my abdomen. After the retrieval I went back on birth control after I got my period and then I started with the estradiol and baby aspirin (adult low dose aspirin) until day 15 when I started the progesterone cream.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were amazing. They were very nice/warm/kind and thorough. They were available to me 24/7 and were always able to answer my questions. As I mentioned I had a complication after my retrieval and a nurse called me pretty much daily to check in afterwards. I have only good things to say about her nursing team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone was wonderful, friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.
We are very fortunate and only had to pay for the PGS testing and medication co-payment + dr. visit co pays.

2020, Consult
Dr Carla [DiGirolamo] is empathetic and compassionate...she is never rushed, tries to understand the problem, work on the diagnosis, and make sure all treatments/risks are fully explained. While she presents options as a doctor, she also gives a good balance of helping us select options we prefer
Strengths: Boston IVF Waltham and Westborough offices are both great clinics with some wonderful doctors and nurses. They are very organized such that wait times are minimal too. Weaknesses: Yet to begin treatment, so can't say yet
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr Carla is empathetic and compassionate. It has been a pleasure working with her as she is never rushed, tries to understand the problem, work on the diagnosis, and make sure all treatments/risks are fully explained. While she presents options as a doctor, she also gives a good balance of helping us select options we prefer (instead of doctors not giving us enough information and expecting patients to decide on their own).
Go for it!
Dr Carla was patient, empathetic and open to hearing about all previous treatments/alternate treatments as well. She was never rushed, and made sure I and my spouse had all my questions covered. She also made sure to get into as much detail as we'd like to understand treatments. Look forward to the actual treatment and result with her when we get to it!
Yet to begin any treatment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Shelby Sparby)
Shelby has been the most compassionate and helpful through the entire experience
Office/outpatient visit $443
Yet to begin any treatment
Westborough

She [Dr. Kim Thornton] is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me...Boston IVF is great in the way that they have offices all over. I mainly go wot a Worcester but have been to Waltham and Lexington for ultrasounds and blood work. They also have in-house acupuncture which is great. Weaknesses, their financial coordinators are VERY quick and only give you information if you ask for it. I found out after my first cycle that self pay clients could apply for a discount (income based) which would have really helped to know before!
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I wasn’t sure where to start on the IVF journey. It’s very overwhelming, I filled out an online contact form and received a call from Boston IVF and they paired me with Dr Thornton. Other may not have left the best reviews but I personally think she has been great for us. She is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
If you want someone to give you hugs and kisses, Dr Thornton isn’t the one for you, but if you want an honest approach she definitely won’t sugar coat the process.
I definitely felt with the small Worcester office Dr Thornton knew it was me there To meet with her. She always talked to me not at me which I appreciate.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
When I first met with add Thornton I was 39 turning 40, my husband had a failed vasectomy reversal. She initially suggested we go back to the office who did the reversal to see if we could retrieve sperm from him. Once that procedure was complete we moved very quickly. We started with Gonal-F and Menopur and then added Cetrotide. Trigger was done and then egg retrieval. Once retrieval was done I started on Endometrin 3 times a day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn )
The nursing staff is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Costs were pretty high! I am self pay meaning insurance doesn’t cover anything for the cycle. All pre blood work was covered but once the cycle started I obtained a loan for $15,000 and paid $1000 out of pocket on top of that. That included medication
Worcester