Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2012 - 2014, Successful
Dr Pauli was clear, straightforward, experienced. He made adjustments to treatment as the first cycles weren't working as planned. Ultimately, I got pregnant after the 3rd cycle, with 2 embryos to freeze, and got pregnant again with a frozen embryo on the first frozen cycle...Personal phone calls, as needed. Nurses and technicians in the clinic were wonderful.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Friendly, helpful, compassionate, straightforward.
Samuel Pauli

2009 - 2010, Unsuccessful
I don't have strong memories of the nursing staff since I didn't do any major procedures at this clinic.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He put me on clomid three times, one of those times I got pregnant. He told me "call me when you have the baby." I miscarried a few days later. He is kind and compassionate but didn't seem to go the extra mile to really figure out if this was the right course of action.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Ask many questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He and the team were caring and friendly.
Waltham
Ask any question you have and make sure to tell him everything. Use his expertise.
I got OHSS [Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome] and the nurses took amazing care of me
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias was throrough and detailed and thoughtful. I appreciated his honesty and patience. He was confident yet caring. He seemed very busy but always gave us sufficient time. I would highly recommend him.
Although he was busy, he cared and took time for us
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I got OHSS and the nurses took amazing care of me. very thoughtful and compassionate
Waltham

Dr Sneeringer was very down to earth and personable. I felt like I had known her for years... She treated us with respect and kindness at all times! She was so wonderful every step of the way!! She is optimistic and positive which is what you need if you need IVF treatment! She was also compassionate when we had our first miscarriage! She is the doctor you want on your team!!...I absolutely, 100%, recommend Dr Sneeringer!
Wendy [nurse at Boston IVF] was amazing from day one!! She was very knowledgeable and helpful! She responded to emails and phone calls promptly!...Every aspect of my experience was great!...Dr Sneeringer was very down to earth and personable. I felt like I had known her for years... She treated us with respect and kindness at all times!She was so wonderful every step of the way!!
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I absolutely, 100%, recommend Dr Sneeringer! She was a miracle worker as far as I’m concerned. She treated us with respect and kindness at all times! She was so wonderful every step of the way!! She is optimistic and positive which is what you need if you need IVF treatment! She was also compassionate when we had our first miscarriage! She is the doctor you want on your team!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Trust her! She knows what she is talking about!!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Craw (amazing))
Wendy was amazing from day one!! She was very knowledgeable and helpful! She responded to emails and phone calls promptly!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Every aspect of my experience was great! I had a very bad experience at Fertility Solutions so I was very hesitant at first. From the beginning, Dr Sneeringer and her nurse, Wendy, were amazing to us. We knew we made the right choice! The course of treatment worked because we now have 6 month twins!! We are very thankful and appreciative!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
Expensive. We had to pay out of pocket for everything. Insurance did not cover anything for us.
Waltham

[Dr. Rita Sneeringer] was very personable, patient and sympathetic towards our situation. She was extremely knowledgeable and approached each meeting with customized recommendations based on our preferences, and how my body was responding to treatment...We felt completely comfortable and confident in her plan of action. We had A LOT of questions and she was extremely patient. We can’t say enough great things about her. I’ve already recommended her to several friends and coworkers.
We did a freeze all egg retrieval, phs testing and fet [at Boston IVF]...Clinic strengths: organized, atmosphere is nice, clean, staff is friendly Clinic weaknesses: typically a little slow, road clinic is on has major pot holes- more of just a general commuting annoyance...Schedule your initial appointment sooner rather than later...books up quickly...Dr Sneeringer was very personable, patient and sympathetic towards our situation. She was extremely knowledgeable and approached each meeting with customized recommendations based on our preferences, and how my body was responding to treatment.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Schedule your initial appointment sooner rather than later. She books up quickly.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did a freeze all egg retrieval, phs testing and fet
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clinic strengths: organized, atmosphere is nice, clean, staff is friendly Clinic weaknesses: typically a little slow, road clinic is on has major pot holes- more of just a general commuting annoyance Nothing else to share here
Waltham

We had a horrible experience with Dr Alper! After failed IUIs, we did an IVF cycle where 21 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo came out of it due to poor quality eggs from his set protocol. He also did not put me on metformin despite my pcos. When we met to review, he said he wouldn’t change my protocol going forward. We switched to CCrM Boston with Dr Zimon and got 11 embryos and I’m not currently pregnant. Please don’t waste your time with him!
Boston ivf is like a factory but you get in and out quick for ultrasounds. You also get a random doctor doing your retrieval and transfer. Ultrasounds are done by techs rather than the doctors themselves (like CCrM Boston).... Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!... Very basic pre set protocol with dosing. I was on gonal-f and certitude. Trigger was ovidrel.... He follows pre-set protocols and does not adjust medications or care plans based on your situation.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Run!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!
Michael Alper
Waltham
He [Dr. Ryley] is the best and very helpful...was very adamant about using one embryo versus two, I only had two and he was sure that one was enough because it was of great quality. He was correct...He was very upbeat and positive, he gave me the reassurance I needed...explained everything to me so I could understand...He was calm and helped me stay calm...He was reassuring during my embryo transfer.
I love this clinic [Boston IVF]! Everything was perfect...Everyone is helpful and the atmosphere is relaxed...The nurses are nice...I loved how I was always listened to and no question seemed silly...They always valued my thoughts...He [Dr. Ryley] is the best and very helpful...was very adamant about using one embryo versus two, I only had two and he was sure that one was enough because it was of great quality.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He was extremely tentative and explained everything to me so I could understand He was calm and helped me stay calm He was very positive He was reassuring during my embryo transfer. He explained everything as he did it and made sure the nurses with him knew his every move Lots of communication
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He is the best and very helpful
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He was very upbeat and positive, he gave me the reassurance I needed
Amazing
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I love this clinic! Everything was perfect Everyone is helpful and the atmosphere is relaxed The nurses are nice and they at there to make the visits easier I loved how I was always listened to and no question seemed silly They always valued my thoughts
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Expensive thank goodness for health insurance
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He was very adamant about using one embryo versus two, I only had two and he was sure that one was enough because it was of great quality. He was correct
David Ryley
Waltham

[The nurses at Boston IVF were] Very compassionate and kind...Sometimes appointments are booked far out, but their treatment is worth it. Be open to different paths that will change during the process. The people do do the ultrasounds and blood draws are super friendly!...She [Dr. Thornton] never rushed conversations...Extremely knowledgeable, easy to talk to and gave us choices. We always felt like we had a say in the changes to the plans. She was very thorough. Sometimes getting an follow up appointment was hard because she is so busy. I missed a cycle because of it. Not sure if that was her schedulers fault though.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be patient
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She never rushed conversations
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Very compassionate and kind.

2015 - 2018, Successful
[Dr. Sneeringer has] Excellent bed side manner, very understanding and knowledgeable. Takes her time to address any issues or concerns. Does not make you feel rushed and is empathetic to your specific situation...Willingness to be available to discuss any issues/concerns. Quick to respond to emails and phone calls...Patient when your acting crazy on IVF meds. Kind and caring. Most importantly, created protocols that resulted in 2 ivf cycles and 2 healthy baby boys. I am forever grateful.
[Nurses at Boston IVF are] Always available, prompt via phone and email, understanding and patient, excellent bed side manner, easy to talk to/good communication, personable, kind, caring and knowledgeable. Takes the time to make sure you understand everything...It was relatively quick. I was usually seen immediately...Easy to make an appt however sometimes they have booked up in advance. The staff is great about calling if there has been a cancellation. The environment is modern, welcoming and clean. All front desk and registration staff are really friendly.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Exceptional bed side manner. Willingness to be available to discuss any issues/concerns. Quick to respond to emails and phone calls. Empathetic to my situation. Understanding and knowledgeable. Patient when your acting crazy on IVF meds. Kind and caring. Most importantly, created protocols that resulted in 2 ivf cycles and 2 healthy baby boys. I am forever grateful.
Don’t wait any longer! The answers you’re seeking are with her!
Ivf fresh cycle: injectables: gonal f, ganirelix, ovidrel and crinone progesterone. FET cycle: estrace, estrogen patches and crinone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Megan )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
It was relatively quick. I was usually seen immediately.
It was covered by insurance. I had to pay a copay at each visit and for medications.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I had a mu
Waltham
Dr. Digirolamo created a warm and welcoming environment, which help with the stress of not knowing what to expect, durning the consultation. She was compassionate and empathy to my needs, addressing my concerns and answering all questions. She is very knowledgeable and explained everything in detail regarding what I would be experiencing, testing, medicine, cost of the procedure and potential outcomes.
Nursing staff [at Boston IVF- Waltham] was very professional, efficient, knowledgeable and follow up with you regarding up coming appointments and procedures.... Everyone listen to concerns and answer my questions with compassion and empathy. They explain the truth regarding my situation, with solution and options. My doctor was very knowledgeable as well as her team and the follow up was excellent.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Come prepared to ask as many questions as you want. Do not hold back, she will ensure you leave knowing and feeling more comfortable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staff was very professional, efficient, knowledgeable and follow up with you regarding up coming appointments and procedures.
Carla DiGirolamo
Lots of experience, lots of evidence based medicine---he [Dr Alan Penzias] was able to answer my questions with trials/studies. The clinic is massive, so you often have different docs for procedures. In general a very nice man who is helpful and open.... lupron flare for DOR. Decent results for what we expected... [Boston IVF- Waltham is a] Huge clinic which could be a strength since they have lots of experience, but also you may see other docs for the procedures. People are generally friendly. There is also a well being center on site for acupuncture/counseling (although we never utilized it). Because of how large the practice is, it was easier to find times which worked with my schedule.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Lots of experience, lots of evidence based medicine---he was able to answer my questions with trials/studies. The clinic is massive, so you often have different docs for procedures. In general a very nice man who is helpful and open.
Took plenty of time to explain things to us
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
lupron flare for DOR. Decent results for what we expected
busy but generally helpful
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
MA has great coverage
Waltham

[Dr. Sneeringer] is incredibly caring, but also very straight forward. Most of our conversations involved laughter, honesty and she always clearly communicated with me what the next steps were...IVF can be brutal and Rita's wonderful personality, candid demeanor and sense of humor were a great reprieve from the hardships of IVF. I would highly recommend her to anyone!
Meg [nurse at Boston IVF] was terrible at returning phone calls, getting on the phone and she never explained anything. She just automatically assumed you knew what she was talking about. If i hadn't liked [Dr. Sneeringer] so much, i would have left BIVF...Egg donation coordinator is awful and so loud. You get a headache just trying tu talk to her. Financial coordinator is nice enough, but could user better organization skills. Other nursing staff, front desk lady we're all super nice.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Rita was a recommendation from a girlfriend of mine and I am so grateful that she passed along Rita's name. IVF can be brutal and Rita's wonderful personality, candid demeanor and sense of humor were a great reprieve from the hardships of IVF. I would highly recommend her to anyone!
Trust her
Rita is incredibly caring, but also very straight forward. Most of our conversations involved laughter, honesty and she always clearly communicated with me what the next steps were.
No clue
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg Kennedy)
Meg was terrible at returning phone calls, getting on the phone and she never explained anything. She just automatically assumed you knew what she was talking about. If i hadn't liked Rita so much, i would have left BIVF.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
First cycle covered by insurance. Donor cycle was OOO.
We wanted just one child, so we transferred one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Honestly, I've blocked most of it out to save my sanity. They need some better administrators in there though.
Waltham
From the get go, Dr. DiGirolamo was very warm, honest and straight forward. She spent a lot of time with my husband and I during our initial appointments, answering all of our questions and talking through our miscarriages and test results...Dr. D was very straight forward with us and told us IVF was pretty much our only option to ensure a successful pregnancy. It took a little while longer than I expected to get everything started but once we did it was very structured and disciplined.
The nurses [at IVF New England] were amazing. They were very nice/warm/kind and thorough. They were available to me 24/7 and were always able to answer my questions...I showed up for one appointment for bloodwork and ultrasound that wasn't in the queue. They called the nurses right away and got me on the schedule.I only had to wait an extra ten minutes. Nothing really went wrong and everyone was apologetic and got me in just fine.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
From the get go, Dr. DiGirolamo was very warm, honest and straight forward. She spent a lot of time with my husband and I during our initial appointments, answering all of our questions and talking through our miscarriages and test results. For one appointment we had to bring our 3 year old son and she was very accommodating. Infertility makes anyone vulnerable and anxious and I felt comfortable with her from day 1. Unfortunately, during my retrieval (performed by another dr) a blood vessel was nicked and I had internal bleeding in my abdomen. I went to the ER and had to be admitted into the hospital. During this time Dr. D was on vacation so another doctor called to check in on me. When Dr. D returned from vacation she called me right away even though we had an appointment scheduled for a few days later. I never felt like a number and always felt like she saw me as a person.
Take advantage of your time with her. Be honest about your anxieties/questions/history etc.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My husband and I have a three year old son who was conceived very effortlessly. Once we started trying again we had two consecutive miscarriages. To me this was very very confusing. Our trouble wasn't in getting pregnant, but staying pregnant. I went into this with an open mind but also didn't think we would need to do IVF. Dr. D was very straight forward with us and told us IVF was pretty much our only option to ensure a successful pregnancy. It took a little while longer than I expected to get everything started but once we did it was very structured and disciplined. I started with birth control to calm my ovaries, prevent clotting and regulate my cycle. From there we moved onto injectible hormones and I was doing three by the end of it. I know menopur was one but I forget the other two. The shots weren't as bad as I thought and I ended up doing them on my own in my abdomen. After the retrieval I went back on birth control after I got my period and then I started with the estradiol and baby aspirin (adult low dose aspirin) until day 15 when I started the progesterone cream.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were amazing. They were very nice/warm/kind and thorough. They were available to me 24/7 and were always able to answer my questions. As I mentioned I had a complication after my retrieval and a nurse called me pretty much daily to check in afterwards. I have only good things to say about her nursing team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone was wonderful, friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
We are very fortunate and only had to pay for the PGS testing and medication co-payment + dr. visit co pays.
Westborough

She [Dr. Kim Thornton] is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me...Boston IVF is great in the way that they have offices all over. I mainly go wot a Worcester but have been to Waltham and Lexington for ultrasounds and blood work. They also have in-house acupuncture which is great. Weaknesses, their financial coordinators are VERY quick and only give you information if you ask for it. I found out after my first cycle that self pay clients could apply for a discount (income based) which would have really helped to know before!
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I wasn’t sure where to start on the IVF journey. It’s very overwhelming, I filled out an online contact form and received a call from Boston IVF and they paired me with Dr Thornton. Other may not have left the best reviews but I personally think she has been great for us. She is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
If you want someone to give you hugs and kisses, Dr Thornton isn’t the one for you, but if you want an honest approach she definitely won’t sugar coat the process.
I definitely felt with the small Worcester office Dr Thornton knew it was me there To meet with her. She always talked to me not at me which I appreciate.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
When I first met with add Thornton I was 39 turning 40, my husband had a failed vasectomy reversal. She initially suggested we go back to the office who did the reversal to see if we could retrieve sperm from him. Once that procedure was complete we moved very quickly. We started with Gonal-F and Menopur and then added Cetrotide. Trigger was done and then egg retrieval. Once retrieval was done I started on Endometrin 3 times a day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn )
The nursing staff is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Costs were pretty high! I am self pay meaning insurance doesn’t cover anything for the cycle. All pre blood work was covered but once the cycle started I obtained a loan for $15,000 and paid $1000 out of pocket on top of that. That included medication
Worcester

Dr. Thornton was kind and somewhat compassionate. If I was down about a high FSH she reminded me it wasn't that high (11). She is straight to the point though, she isn't really going to coddle you. After my first round of treatment only resulted in 2 dominant follicles and I was converted to an IUI, she asked me if I ever considered donor eggs. I was really disappointed that was discussed so quickly, but she was being real with me I guess. She agreed to change the protocol and move forward if I only had one follicle next time. Unfortunately that cycle was cancelled when they went in to retrieve and found no follicles, they assume I prematurely ovulated.
Boston IVF has its good and its bad points. They service a TON of patients and its easy to get lost in the shuffle, but I do feel the nurses and staff in Waltham care about the patients and want us to succeed. The downside to the high volume is not getting much for personal care because your doctor is too busy to really be adjusting protocols or meeting with you personally. I also didn't love that they aren't much into research... other websites for clinics have studies and videos and information for patients. I felt like Boston IVF was like the Costco of reproduction, and you are fortunate to be successful if you have only a small issue to work through or try enough times. Anyone with specific issues that need special attention or outside the box thinking would probably do better elsewhere.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be prepared going in. Dr. Thornton goes over things for sure, but there is a lot of information out there and questions you should be asking of any doctor. If she hesitates on proceeding, keep in mind that it is your choice and your body and don't give up.
My husband and I met with Dr. Thornton once, and I met with her once alone. She was always very nice and explained things in a way my husband liked, as her undergrad is in chemical engineering as is his. She seemed confident that I would be successful, and she explained the process well with pictures, etc. However, past those meetings I have felt like any other patient being pushed through the clinic. Three times a nurse told me to take a medication I didn't have (the insurance sometimes sends Cetritide but I had Ganirelix, and the insurance sometimes sends Gonal F, but I had Follistim) so it felt like no one was even reading my chart before speaking to me. After my second fail (premature ovulation prior to retrieval) I didn't receive a follow up call from the clinic to schedule a follow-up and next steps. I don't know if Dr. Thornton cares if I come back to Boston IVF ever, she likely has enough other 'numbers' to deal with.
Cycle 1 - Day 3 start, 450 iu Follistim, low dose HCG; Day 5 Ganirelix, up to 600 iu Follistim, low dose HCG. One decent follicle, one smaller - converted to IUI. Ovidrel shot. BFN Cycle 2 - Ganirelix and Estrogen patch prior to cycle start, Day 3 450 iu Follistim, 150 iu Menupur; Day 9 Ganirelix, Follistim same, and Menupur same. Day 11 had two dominant follicles and some smaller ones starting. Pregnyl shot, retrieval 36 hours later showed no follicles. Was instructed to go home and have sex (not sure why they didn't do an IUI at that point)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
I was so very NOT a fan of Dawn (Worcester office only) that I asked to be switched to a nurse out of the Waltham office. She lacks compassion as well as a knowledge of what she should say to a patient vs. what the doctor should be communicating. Abbey and Sonya (Dr. Thornton's other nurses) in Waltham are excellent though. The nursing staff in Waltham overall has been incredible - everyone you meet from the time you walk in, get blood taken, ultrasound, checked in for surgery, etc - they are SOOOOO great. They see your eyes start to tear and they always have tissues. I had to visit Waltham on Mothers Day for an ultrasound and they had a big bucket of roses and a sign that said "thinking of you all today and everyday" and I lost it. So touching. They are A+++++. In Waltham.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Pretty much 100% insurance paid after deductible. I think we paid $150 for one medication through Village Pharmacy. My scripts cost me a small co-pay (like $30) but the 'real' price was $15,000 just for the drugs! Phew!
2015 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Julia Johnson] knew us by name, knew our story and history and knew more about than just our struggle history... is knowledgeable and compassionate. She worked hard to put my partner at ease and she understood my need to know every single detail. She would check in and she made sure we left feeling prepared for what was next...has a comfortable attitude and she is confident in her ability to care for her patients.
Laura Jean [nurse at Boston IVF] will forever be our miracle worker! She got to know me, responded to me based on what she learned about me and was 100% compassionate...They were very clear about doing just one, especially given the quality of the embryos. They were more concerned with the outcome and the resulting pregnancy. They were not about putting in as many as possible just to reach a pregnancy.
How was your experience with Julia Johnson at Boston IVF?
Dr. Johnson is knowledgeable and compassionate. She worked hard to put my partner at ease and she understood my need to know every single detail. She would check in and she made sure we left feeling prepared for what was next.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Julia Johnson at Boston IVF?
Dr. Johnson has a comfortable attitude and she is confident in her ability to care for her patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Julia Johnson at Boston IVF?
She knew us by name, knew our story and history and knew more about than just our struggle history.
Describe the protocols Julia Johnson used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We began with testing. We had reoccurring pregnancy loss and we discovered that we also had male factor issues due to low motility and count. We began with IUI because of insurance and we did 3 unsuccessful cycles. Dr. Johnson was honest with one cycle as we had very few quality sperm to use. She then researched our insurance and suggested that we move to the ICSI IVF cycle. The first cycle I began to show signs of OHSS and the meds prescribed to slow it down ended up killing the eggs. The next cycle my meds were adjusted and we went all the way. We had 3 embryos, did a 5 day transfer and froze 2. Two years later we did a frozen transfer with our second son. We are still paying for the one embryo we have frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Laura Jean )
Laura Jean will forever be our miracle worker! She got to know me, responded to me based on what she learned about me and was 100% compassionate.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It’s clean, well run, organized and comfortable. The staff is caring and you know you can count on them. It’s a comfortable place. My partner said he felt happy about the way they ran it, especially with what was required of him while there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Julia Johnson at Boston IVF.
Co payments for visits
Describe Julia Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
They were very clear about doing just one, especially given the quality of the embryos. They were more concerned with the outcome and the resulting pregnancy. They were not about putting in as many as possible just to reach a pregnancy. I felt this was the right approach because it showed they were confident in their care and knowing what a risk multiple pregnancies are.
Julia Johnson
Worcester

I did not find Dr. Thornton to be a caring physician. She did not take the time to answer our questions or to fully explain everything that was going on. I always felt rushed and that I was taking up her time.... Dr. Thornton did not order the full panel of tests that our current RE ordered. I found out through my current RE that I have a thyroid issue that requires me to take medication. Dr. Thornton also did not give me proper instructions on how to take a supplement she advised me to take.
I felt very rushed at my appointments.... The clinic [Boston IVF] is incredibly large and you often feel like a number and feel rushed. There are ample physicians if you wish to get a second opinion within the same clinic.... I did not find Dr. Thornton to be a caring physician. She did not take the time to answer our questions or to fully explain everything that was going on. I always felt rushed and that I was taking up her time.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Do not go to her. Find a different provider or clinic.
I felt very rushed at my appointments.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is incredibly large and you often feel like a number and feel rushed. There are ample physicians if you wish to get a second opinion within the same clinic.