Merle Berger

Four Bellows Road
Westborough, MA 01580
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Dr. Thornton was kind and somewhat compassionate. If I was down about a high FSH she reminded me it wasn't that high (11). She is straight to the point though, she isn't really going to coddle you. After my first round of treatment only resulted in 2 dominant follicles and I was converted to an IUI, she asked me if I ever considered donor eggs. I was really disappointed that was discussed so quickly, but she was being real with me I guess. She agreed to change the protocol and move forward if I only had one follicle next time. Unfortunately that cycle was cancelled when they went in to retrieve and found no follicles, they assume I prematurely ovulated.
Boston IVF has its good and its bad points. They service a TON of patients and its easy to get lost in the shuffle, but I do feel the nurses and staff in Waltham care about the patients and want us to succeed. The downside to the high volume is not getting much for personal care because your doctor is too busy to really be adjusting protocols or meeting with you personally. I also didn't love that they aren't much into research... other websites for clinics have studies and videos and information for patients. I felt like Boston IVF was like the Costco of reproduction, and you are fortunate to be successful if you have only a small issue to work through or try enough times. Anyone with specific issues that need special attention or outside the box thinking would probably do better elsewhere.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be prepared going in. Dr. Thornton goes over things for sure, but there is a lot of information out there and questions you should be asking of any doctor. If she hesitates on proceeding, keep in mind that it is your choice and your body and don't give up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
My husband and I met with Dr. Thornton once, and I met with her once alone. She was always very nice and explained things in a way my husband liked, as her undergrad is in chemical engineering as is his. She seemed confident that I would be successful, and she explained the process well with pictures, etc. However, past those meetings I have felt like any other patient being pushed through the clinic. Three times a nurse told me to take a medication I didn't have (the insurance sometimes sends Cetritide but I had Ganirelix, and the insurance sometimes sends Gonal F, but I had Follistim) so it felt like no one was even reading my chart before speaking to me. After my second fail (premature ovulation prior to retrieval) I didn't receive a follow up call from the clinic to schedule a follow-up and next steps. I don't know if Dr. Thornton cares if I come back to Boston IVF ever, she likely has enough other 'numbers' to deal with.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 - Day 3 start, 450 iu Follistim, low dose HCG; Day 5 Ganirelix, up to 600 iu Follistim, low dose HCG. One decent follicle, one smaller - converted to IUI. Ovidrel shot. BFN Cycle 2 - Ganirelix and Estrogen patch prior to cycle start, Day 3 450 iu Follistim, 150 iu Menupur; Day 9 Ganirelix, Follistim same, and Menupur same. Day 11 had two dominant follicles and some smaller ones starting. Pregnyl shot, retrieval 36 hours later showed no follicles. Was instructed to go home and have sex (not sure why they didn't do an IUI at that point)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
I was so very NOT a fan of Dawn (Worcester office only) that I asked to be switched to a nurse out of the Waltham office. She lacks compassion as well as a knowledge of what she should say to a patient vs. what the doctor should be communicating. Abbey and Sonya (Dr. Thornton's other nurses) in Waltham are excellent though. The nursing staff in Waltham overall has been incredible - everyone you meet from the time you walk in, get blood taken, ultrasound, checked in for surgery, etc - they are SOOOOO great. They see your eyes start to tear and they always have tissues. I had to visit Waltham on Mothers Day for an ultrasound and they had a big bucket of roses and a sign that said "thinking of you all today and everyday" and I lost it. So touching. They are A+++++. In Waltham.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Pretty much 100% insurance paid after deductible. I think we paid $150 for one medication through Village Pharmacy. My scripts cost me a small co-pay (like $30) but the 'real' price was $15,000 just for the drugs! Phew!
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
2015 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Julia Johnson] knew us by name, knew our story and history and knew more about than just our struggle history... is knowledgeable and compassionate. She worked hard to put my partner at ease and she understood my need to know every single detail. She would check in and she made sure we left feeling prepared for what was next...has a comfortable attitude and she is confident in her ability to care for her patients.
Laura Jean [nurse at Boston IVF] will forever be our miracle worker! She got to know me, responded to me based on what she learned about me and was 100% compassionate...They were very clear about doing just one, especially given the quality of the embryos. They were more concerned with the outcome and the resulting pregnancy. They were not about putting in as many as possible just to reach a pregnancy.
How was your experience with Julia Johnson at Boston IVF?
Dr. Johnson is knowledgeable and compassionate. She worked hard to put my partner at ease and she understood my need to know every single detail. She would check in and she made sure we left feeling prepared for what was next.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Julia Johnson at Boston IVF?
Dr. Johnson has a comfortable attitude and she is confident in her ability to care for her patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Julia Johnson at Boston IVF?
She knew us by name, knew our story and history and knew more about than just our struggle history.
Describe the protocols Julia Johnson used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We began with testing. We had reoccurring pregnancy loss and we discovered that we also had male factor issues due to low motility and count. We began with IUI because of insurance and we did 3 unsuccessful cycles. Dr. Johnson was honest with one cycle as we had very few quality sperm to use. She then researched our insurance and suggested that we move to the ICSI IVF cycle. The first cycle I began to show signs of OHSS and the meds prescribed to slow it down ended up killing the eggs. The next cycle my meds were adjusted and we went all the way. We had 3 embryos, did a 5 day transfer and froze 2. Two years later we did a frozen transfer with our second son. We are still paying for the one embryo we have frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Laura Jean )
Laura Jean will forever be our miracle worker! She got to know me, responded to me based on what she learned about me and was 100% compassionate.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It’s clean, well run, organized and comfortable. The staff is caring and you know you can count on them. It’s a comfortable place. My partner said he felt happy about the way they ran it, especially with what was required of him while there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Julia Johnson at Boston IVF.
Co payments for visits
Describe Julia Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
They were very clear about doing just one, especially given the quality of the embryos. They were more concerned with the outcome and the resulting pregnancy. They were not about putting in as many as possible just to reach a pregnancy. I felt this was the right approach because it showed they were confident in their care and knowing what a risk multiple pregnancies are.
Julia Johnson
Worcester

I did not find Dr. Thornton to be a caring physician. She did not take the time to answer our questions or to fully explain everything that was going on. I always felt rushed and that I was taking up her time.... Dr. Thornton did not order the full panel of tests that our current RE ordered. I found out through my current RE that I have a thyroid issue that requires me to take medication. Dr. Thornton also did not give me proper instructions on how to take a supplement she advised me to take.
I felt very rushed at my appointments.... The clinic [Boston IVF] is incredibly large and you often feel like a number and feel rushed. There are ample physicians if you wish to get a second opinion within the same clinic.... I did not find Dr. Thornton to be a caring physician. She did not take the time to answer our questions or to fully explain everything that was going on. I always felt rushed and that I was taking up her time.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Do not go to her. Find a different provider or clinic.
I felt very rushed at my appointments.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is incredibly large and you often feel like a number and feel rushed. There are ample physicians if you wish to get a second opinion within the same clinic.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.

2019 - 2021, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Samuel Pauli] showed compassion for my negative pregnancy test, and chemicals. He was willing to listen to my changes in procedures. He valued my feelings...He was compassionate and understanding. I felt he was just as frustrated with my infertility as I was. He didn’t treat me as a number or a ratings score. He wanted me to finally have the family I’ve wanted for 5 years now...He was always willing to discuss options
Make sure your [Boston IVF] portal and appointment times are the same. Always be clear of what department you are trying to get a hold of like admin or nursing. They email direction for egg retrievals/transfers etc and they are pretty clear of instructions...Nurse Nikki always returned my calls, no matter how silly the question...Insurance covered most. Medication costs were ridiculous
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to advocate for you selves if you have ideas of a treatment plans. He was always willing to discuss options
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He showed compassion for my negative pregnancy test, and chemicals. He was willing to listen to my changes in procedures. He valued my feelings
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
Nurse Nikki always returned my calls, no matter how silly the question. She personally called me once we found out I was going to be expecting twins and was so happy for my. She was equally as devastated when told her we lost them at 9 weeks.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Make sure your portal and appointment times are the same. Always be clear of what department you are trying to get a hold of like admin or nursing. They email direction for egg retrievals/transfers etc and they are pretty clear of instructions
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered most. Medication costs were ridiculous
Samuel Pauli