Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Dr. Bayer is extremely nice, however, most of my contact is with his nursing staff. The nurses are not very forthcoming with information and it appears Dr. Bayer is not very involved in my case as I have only spoken to him once, which includes my initial consultation. Our second meeting I had to initiate on the advice of a friend, due to the number of unanswered questions I had....Each insemination was $450, which is performed by a nurse. I was offered a "trigger shot" last minute, with no explanation of its purpose or benefits, at the cost of $650...Three natural cycles and three cycles with medication.
Boston IVF has a lot of availability, which is helpful for scheduling. However, you have minimal contact with the providers on your case. The facilities are well maintained, but I feel they are more interested in finding ways to bill me, than helping me conceive....Important details about my test results and how it affects my treatment plan was not disclosed in a timely manner....Staff was only forthcoming about how much they were going to bill me. Otherwise, treatment and results were vaguely explained. I seek most of my information elsewhere, which is extremely frustrating.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to be in the dark and spend a lot of money.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Three natural cycles and three cycles with medication.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Always polite, but not forthcoming with information about procedures or treatment plan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
My two office visits with the doctor were covered by my insurance, except for my co-pays. Each insemination was $450, which is performed by a nurse. I was offered a "trigger shot" last minute, with no explanation of its purpose or benefits, at the cost of $650.
2014 - 2015, Successful
He [Dr. David Ryley] was warm, caring, and tailored his approach to our specific issue... He knew I worked in the medical profession so he gave me much more detail and was very patient with my questions. He was also able to engage my husband who has no medical background and explain things in plain language. He made us feel safe and we totally trusted him...Trust in him and the process.
They [nurses at Boston IVF] were kind, professional, and very warm. My only comment would be because I work in the medical field they didn’t explain as clearly how to inject the medications and the timing. I had to do a bit of research on my own...There were some issues with getting our cycle medications. They needed a prior authorization and no one called to fix it so we had to wait longer.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was amazing! He knew I worked in the medical profession so he gave me much more detail and was very patient with my questions. He was also able to engage my husband who has no medical background and explain things in plain language. He made us feel safe and we totally trusted him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Trust in him and the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He was warm, caring, and tailored his approach to our specific issue.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They were kind, professional, and very warm. My only comment would be because I work in the medical field they didn’t explain as clearly how to inject the medications and the timing. I had to do a bit of research on my own.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Great hours! They had before work options and made sure to book appointments based on what you were there for. For example, they only confirmed pregnancies st certain times so women who were still struggling didn’t overlap with the others. I felt this was very considerate
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
We are very fortunate to live in a state where infertility treatments are covered. I work in a hospital affiliated with BOS IVF so it was considered tier 1. We paid a copay for the cycle meds but that was it. All testing was covered.
2011, Successful
Dr. Bayer was attentive and flexible. I suggested back to back IUIs on my last cycle and he was willing to do this although was not what the initial plan was. He was always very calm in delivery of information as well as very patient...I had 3 IUIS, the third was a back to back (2 days in a row) IUI. I tried Clomid for the first IUI cycle but it affected my mood too greatly so switched to a different medication. Back to Back IUI is what ultimately resulted in a successful pregnancy.
...with Dr. Sneeringer, I have received conflicting messages about IVF protocol...It's like a factory, as is very big and they churn out blood work and ultrasounds in the morning, particularly. If you are not on time,usually you have to wait but they will double and triple book for blood work and ultrasounds. Wish it was a bit more intimate and private in his waiting area....
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
No advice because you are truly in good hands but asking questions , as many as you need to fully understand, is always a good rule of thumb with any doctor
His support staff were wonderful as well as he. Very warm and attentive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
Excellent. Nothing less. I am going through fertility tx currently with another doctor (because Dr. Bayer's office moved to Brookline :( and it was way too far for me) and the current nursing staff is not as good as Dr. Bayers.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Just copays and deductible. My insurance covered
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
It was not with Dr. Bayer but currently in working with Dr. Sneeringer, I have received conflicting messages about IVF protocol.
Boston
Dr. Berger utilizes hcg versus menopur for DOR patients to allow equal growth of follicles...Due to distance the MD does email and do phone consults. I have not been able to do a FET due to thickened lining but hopefully doing this new treatment I will be able to proceed. I recommend if you are a patient at Boston IVF you advocate for yourself...The quantity of patients at Boston ivf does not allow personalization
I have a great relationship with the nursing staff for Dr. Berger. Financial coordinator was great for me as well...I’ve had numerous issues with insurance authorizations not be put in a timely manner and therefore doing priming for a psycho and not being able to proceed because insurance authorization was never submitted...Too many patients Hours are great to accommodate those who work...All the nurses have been through so much with me and they are compassionate.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I have a great relationship with the nursing staff for Dr. Berger. Financial coordinator was great for me as well. Due to distance the MD does email and do phone consults. I have not been able to do a FET due to thickened lining but hopefully doing this new treatment I will be able to proceed. I recommend if you are a patient at Boston IVF you advocate for yourself
Advocate for yourself. Get all contacts emails to allow easier communication.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
The quantity of patients at Boston ivf does not allow personalization
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie )
All the nurses have been through so much with me and they are compassionate.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Too many patients Hours are great to accommodate those who work. I live one and a half hours away. The lab opening up at 6:30 am allowed me to Go to all my appointments before work and make it to work on time therefore not losing any time off work and not letting everyone at work know what I was doing

2014, Successful
Every interaction with Dr. Ryley was great. He was thorough and very patient. He did not, however, do our procedures, as that was always based on whoever was in the OR on the day of a scheduled transfer.
I thought that every person I encountered on the [Boston IVF nursing staff] was competent and thorough. They all knew what they were doing and many of them showed great compassion at times when things did not go well for us.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Every interaction with Dr. Ryley was great. He was thorough and very patient. I never felt rushed out of his office. He did not, however, do our procedures, as that was always based on whoever was in the OR on the day of a scheduled transfer. I would have liked for him to do our procedures.
I would say to make it clear to his staff when you want to speak to him directly. His team of nurses are very competent and often handle many things themselves. If you want his opinion directly (not just through the nurses), you should feel comfortable asking to speak to him directly. They will accommodate that.
Dr Ryley and his team were thoughtful, kind and helpful throughout the process. Despite two unsuccessful IVF attempts, Dr. Ryley was very clear that he never gave up hope and that he was there to help us throughout.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I thought that every person I encountered on the nursing staff was competent and thorough. They all knew what they were doing and many of them showed great compassion at times when things did not go well for us. They also were very happy for us when things were going well.
Boston

Dr. Ryley was personable and informative. He balanced humor and compassion with delivering clear, scientific explanations of the care plan...was an excellent provider. He treated us respectfully and provided a full explanation of what to expect throughout the time in treatment. He did an excellent job balancing humor and compassion with providing real-time, scientific explanations of his understanding of our case and options for how to proceed. We were consistently engaged in decision-making around our care.
Boston IVF was a great place for us. They took great care of us. Honestly, my only piece of feedback is that the television they have on in the waiting rooms is horrible! Try for HGTV or something soothing not scandalous talk shows...When trying for my first child, I had unmedicated, unmonitored IUI cycles based solely on ovulation tests/symptoms. My daughter (DOB 9/2015) was conceived on the third cycle. For my second, I completed 4 unsuccessful IUI cycles with Dr. Ryley before moving out of the area. For these, we did do ovulation monitoring and trigger shots.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was an excellent provider. He treated us respectfully and provided a full explanation of what to expect throughout the time in treatment. He did an excellent job balancing humor and compassion with providing real-time, scientific explanations of his understanding of our case and options for how to proceed. We were consistently engaged in decision-making around our care.
Ask as many questions as you need to feel like you understand and are comfortable with the plan before you.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
My care was covered by my insurance with minimal copays on my part.
2004 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Oskowitz spoke warmly and individually. We were never rushed... He's a bit formal, very appropriate, and very knowledgeable. He's been doing this a long time. He isn't mushy or warm, but is very kind and smart...Gonal F for ovulation induction (I have PCOS and was probably not ovulating)...It was a great experience working with him...His nurse Karen was sweet and warm. He also worked with a nurse practitioner we really liked.
It's [Boston IVF] organized as a cluster of mini private practices within a larger office. You see your doctor, your nurse (and in my case, your nurse practitioner, though just saw her once, b/c we were successful the first cycle). There is an insurance person for the whole practice who helps navigate all of that. I love this practice..nurse Karen was sweet and warm... And the phlebotomists were so kind and skilled that I wrote a note the supervisor who read it at a staff meeting. Love this practice.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
He's a bit formal, very appropriate, and very knowledgeable. He's been doing this a long time. He isn't mushy or warm, but is very kind and smart. I absolutely loved this practice and have recommended it to many people.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
I can't think of anything. It was a great experience working with him, after a terrible one.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
Dr. Oskowitz spoke warmly and individually. We were never rushed. His nurse Karen was sweet and warm. He also worked with a nurse practitioner we really liked. And the phlebotomists were so kind and skilled that I wrote a note the supervisor who read it at a staff meeting. Love this practice.
Describe the protocols Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Gonal F for ovulation induction (I have PCOS and was probably not ovulating), and IUI just to cover the bases in case we had to go to IVF b/c my insurance would only do IVF after three IUI cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
I loved her. She was sweet, organized, and caring.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's organized as a cluster of mini private practices within a larger office. You see your doctor, your nurse (and in my case, your nurse practitioner, though just saw her once, b/c we were successful the first cycle). There is an insurance person for the whole practice who helps navigate all of that. I love this practice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF.
None--I think everything was covered by our insurance in MA.
Boston
He [Dr. David Ryley] is very honest and you will leave his office with hope... is very thorough with his explanations and never rushed a conversation. He asks questions to get to know us as people, not just patients. From the first day I met him he showed confidence that he would find a plan that worked and he did!...He is personable, empathetic, and actually seemed to listen...
Nurse Doran [at Boston IVF] is very punctual with returning calls, which helps reduce stress. She is thorough and extremely patient with all my questions...I feel the cost has been fair...The weakness of the Boston location is just that - the location. We always knew we would have to travel to appointments but things can be stressful enough with infertility, sitting in traffic thinking you are going to miss your appointment shouldn’t be one of them.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley is very thorough with his explanations and never rushed a conversation. He asks questions to get to know us as people, not just patients. From the first day I met him he showed confidence that he would find a plan that worked and he did!
He is very honest and you will leave his office with hope.
He is personable, empathetic, and actually seemed to listen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Doran)
Nurse Doran is very punctual with returning calls, which helps reduce stress. She is thorough and extremely patient with all my questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I feel the cost has been fair.
2014 - 2018, Successful
Dr Berger and his staff knew my case was rough and listened to me sob and celebrated my pregnancy...told me from the beginning that it was going to be a longer road than most have. He worked with me every step of the way through failed cycles and adjusting meds and surgeries and to donor eggs where we finally had a successful pregnancy...He won’t give up on you...Trust him and listen to him.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] are amazing. Timely in their phone calls and answer all the questions that I had...The on call doctor did not call me with embryo results after one of my cycles...Fantastic clinic, everyone treated you like family. Love the Domar clinic being onsite to receive western medicine in conjunction with eastern. So many amazing doctors at Boston IVF and they all care...Dr Berger and his staff knew my case was rough and listened to me sob and celebrated my pregnancy. They always took the time to listen to me
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr Berger told me from the beginning that it was going to be a longer road than most have. He worked with me every step of the way through failed cycles and adjusting meds and surgeries and to donor eggs where we finally had a successful pregnancy.
Trust him and listen to him. He won’t give up on you
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
The nurses are amazing. Timely in their phone calls and answer all the questions that I had
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The on call doctor did not call me with embryo results after one of my cycles
Boston
He [Dr. Bayer] was very kind and understanding...He seemed very knowledgeable and helped us feel confident that our treatment would work. We walked out feeling comforted and excited to begin treatment. We only saw doctor Bayer a couple times because I got pregnant the first round of treatment which was amazing!...He started us with Letrozole and then the plan was to use a trigger shot to get me to ovulate but my LH was high enough on its own that I didn’t need it. I ovulated naturally and got pregnant!
[Boston IVF is] a little impersonal and kind of a wheelhouse but honestly I didn’t care I just wanted to get pregnant and I knew they were the best. I was willing to be treated like a number if it meant I got pregnant so I ended up being very happy with the results since we did get pregnant right away...He [Dr. Bayer] was very kind and understanding...He seemed very knowledgeable and helped us feel confident that our treatment would work
Trust the process!
He was very kind and understanding.
They were pleasant.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It’s a little impersonal and kind of a wheelhouse but honestly I didn’t care I just wanted to get pregnant and I knew they were the best. I was willing to be treated like a number if it meant I got pregnant so I ended up being very happy with the results since we did get pregnant right away
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
My insurance pretty much covered everything which was amazing and I’m very grateful for that.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr Ryley is fantastic. He answered our questions honestly and was always optimistic even when we weren’t. My partner and I are both trying/tried to get pregnant with him and we have been very satisfied...Dr Ryely is warm and personable. We always felt like he was on our team....Me- ivf: ovarian stimulation, egg retrieval and 3 day transfer. My partner: 6 iuis on Femera and trigger shot (PCOS)...I love Heidi, Susan, Amanda and every staff member in the Brookline office.
Boston ivf is organized, professional and communicative. Highly recommended...I love Heidi, Susan, Amanda and every staff member in the Brookline office. Not so fond of Waltham, but not there regularly...Dr Ryley is fantastic. He answered our questions honestly and was always optimistic even when we weren’t. My partner and I are both trying/tried to get pregnant with him and we have been very satisfied...Insurance covered...
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Ask everything. If you need to talk to him, just ask his staff.
Dr Ryely is warm and personable. We always felt like he was on our team.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston ivf is organized, professional and communicative. Highly recommended
Insurance covered
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Our insurance only covers one egg transfer, but I think if that wasn’t the case he would have let us do two.
2015, Successful
His care was direct and personal. Loved him from start to finish.... He explained the science of fertility in the detail I wanted and then some. I like to understand everything that’s happening and he more than covered it all with me. He was warm and thoughtful throughout. I completely trusted him through the process.... Dr Riley told me upfront I was at risk of hyper stimulation and worked to mitigate that. I was mildly hyper stimulated at retrieval so we let my body rest and did an unmedicated (my choice) frozen transfer the following month.
His whole staff [at Boston IV] is very professional. The medical part of the IVF process was very straightforward and easy to deal with.... He [Dr. Riley] explained the science of fertility in the detail I wanted and then some. I like to understand everything that’s happening and he more than covered it all with me. He was warm and thoughtful throughout. I completely trusted him through the process.... He is knowledgeable and thoughtful. Ask questions and trust his is giving you the best information.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
His care was direct and personal. Loved him from start to finish.
I don’t remember the specifics but Dr Riley told me upfront I was at risk of hyper stimulation and worked to mitigate that. I was mildly hyper stimulated at retrieval so we let my body rest and did an unmedicated (my choice) frozen transfer the following month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
His whole staff is very professional. The medical part of the IVF process was very straightforward and easy to deal with.
Given my age and diagnosis we transferred one embryo, I was in complete agreement with that decision.
2012 - 2014, Successful
...my doc [Dr. Oskowitz] was always kind and spent time with us...There are a lot of different doctors and nurses you could see depending on the day. But I did feel like they all cared in their own way, and they try to make it not like a factory, even though with the number of people through the doors, that's kind of what it is...
Listen, Boston IVF is a factory of sorts. They see a LOT of people. And they see a lot of people because they are one of the best. That means that there are a lot of techs who do the blood draws. There are a lot of staff members who welcome you. There are a lot of different doctors and nurses you could see depending on the day. But I did feel like they all cared in their own way, and they try to make it not like a factory, even though with the number of people through the doors, that's kind of what it is. But my doc was always kind and spent time with us. Had a great therapist through the Waltham office. The nurse who explained how to administer the drugs spent lots of time with us. So yes, you are a number. But in my experience, being a number also comes with options and extra help and several locations that might be more convenient depending on whether I'm at home or at the office on the day I need to go in...
Listen, BostonIVF is a factory of sorts. They see a LOT of people. And they see a lot of people because they are one of the best. That means that there are a lot of techs who do the blood draws. There are a lot of staff members who welcome you. There are a lot of different doctors and nurses you could see depending on the day. But I did feel like they all cared in their own way, and they try to make it not like a factory, even though with the number of people through the doors, that's kind of what it is. But my doc was always kind and spent time with us. Had a great therapist through the Waltham office. The nurse who explained how to administer the drugs spent lots of time with us. So yes, you are a number. But in my experience, being a number also comes with options and extra help and several locations that might be more convenient depending on whether I'm at home or at the office on the day I need to go in.

2010 - 2011, Successful
He [Dr. Ryley] always gave me time to mourn and was a true advocate for me when we had so many unsuccessful IVF attempts and my husband wasn't really understanding. Ryley actaully made a comment that I was being tortured if I were to have another IVF attempt. He was caring and compassionate and realistic when he needed to be...He was compassionate. Even though he shared devastating and heartbreaking news about my own fertility, I felt like he understood as best he could...
Great communicators [at Boston IVF - RSC - Bos]. Organized. Private. Resources. Compassionate.I lived in MA so Insurence covered soooo much. We had a few co-pays, but all the services totaled to over $100k. When our Insurence rejected to pay for IVF when we used donor eggs, Ryley advocated for us- sent a letter explains why medically they should pay. It worked and they reversed their decision...
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He always gave me time to mourn and was a true advocate for me when we had so many unsuccessful IVF attempts and my husband wasn't really understanding. Ryley actaully made a comment that I was being tortured if I were to have another IVF attempt. He was caring and compassionate and realistic when he needed to be.
He was wonderful. Be prepared for anything unexpected and always have faith.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Great communicators. Organized. Private. Resources. Compassionate.
2006 - 2011, Successful
[Dr. Selwyn Oskowitz was] professional and straight forward. Not warm and fuzzy. I felt like he would get the job done...It was a busy practice, but I felt like I was treated professionally and appropriately. I mostly saw his NP who provided the most "human" contact...There were some insurance coverage mix ups [at Boston IVF] but they got worked out. The clinic was great about doing early morning before work ultrasounds and blood draws.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
Professional and straight forward. Not warm and fuzzy. I felt like he would get the job done. I am now filling in more words to get to 200 characters. How much more do I have to write? I think there is a glitch. He was professional and straight forward. I am a physician so I was not expecting or needing more.
He is professional and straight forward.
It was 2007, we used basic protocols as I was a single woman with no speicific fertility issues other than age at 39 and being single.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was kind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
There were some insurance coverage mix ups but they got worked out. The clinic was great about doing early morning before work ultrasounds and blood draws.
Copays, insurance covered.
Boston
[Dr. Obasiolu] was willing to be aggressive with treatment (I need TONS of drugs to have anything happen), and he was sensitive to my goals (I wanted a big family). My favorite thing about him was his insistence (before he knew it was our desire too) to only transfer one embryo
Chris [Boston IVF nurse] really cared about me. When I had a major setback the first time I took injectables (I didn't do it correctly and thus got no eggs - it was TOTALLY my fault), she was so sweet and comforting.
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Boston IVF?
He was professional and aggressive, and I got a baby out of it all, so I'm sure that colors my opinion. But I liked that he was honest and straightforward (no sugar-coating).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Obasiolu at Boston IVF?
No specific advice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Obasiolu at Boston IVF?
He is DEFINITELY not warm and fuzzy, but he knew his stuff, was willing to be aggressive with treatment (I need TONS of drugs to have anything happen), and he was sensitive to my goals (I wanted a big family). My favorite thing about him was his insistence (before he knew it was our desire too) to only transfer one embryo (given my overall health and relatively young age - 27).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Chris (she's no longer there))
I LOVE Chris. She is by far my most favorite nurse/doctor I've ever interacted with. She was so caring and compassionate. She really cared about me. When I had a major setback the first time I took injectables (I didn't do it correctly and thus got no eggs - it was TOTALLY my fault), she was so sweet and comforting.
Charles Obasiolu
2003 - 2010, Unsuccessful
[Dr Selwyn Oskowitz] took time to explore all the issues/possibilities/probabilities. Showed interest in my overall health not just ovaries. Very supportive and encouraging. Respectful...Informative, respectful, competent. Honest re probabilities, possibilities, shared professional opinions, honest re competencies, concerns. Professional.
[Boston IVF is] organized, clean, timely, professional, mostly considerate of time and stress involved in this kind of care...[Dr Selwyn Oskowitz] took time to explore all the issues/possibilities/probabilities. Showed interest in my overall health not just ovaries.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
OK to ask lots of questions and share any concerns. He seemed to 'get it.'
Took time to explore all the issues/possibilities/probabilities. Showed interest in my overall health not just ovaries. Very supportive and encouraging. Respectful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Organized, clean, timely, professional, mostly considerate of time and stress involved in this kind of care.
2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. David Ryley] was great, but I only met him once...The rest was executed by the Boston IVF operation...I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process...Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal
Scheduling was a challenge [at Boston IVF]...They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse).
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal, and my husband was treated as the free sperm donor. Dr. Ryley was great, but I only met him once. The rest was executed by the Boston IVF operation. Scheduling was a challenge. IVF is a timely matter. If you have a day job forget it. They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse). When I started to cry they told me to "stop crying." Then they say "in reality you could have had water up to 2 hours before, we just don't like to tell people that." Since the transfer I've been trying to get a copy of the results. They said they would email it and haven't. I've been trying for six weeks. I went in today for my first ultrasound to see the fetus. Due to Covid-19, they won't let my husband come with me. (For reference, all other hospitals and clinics in Boston allow 1 visitor by this time). I asked if I can FaceTime or video and they said no it's a "strict policy." I started crying telling them how hard, impersonal, and lonely this experience has been and how hard it is for me to even get documentation of my own medical records. They didn't care - they would barely let me even look at the ultrasound screen myself. When the nurse called me with the results she said "they should be able to let you FaceTime your husband; others have been doing that." To be fair, everyone is polite and I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process.
It is really hard to have a day job; during the cycle there will be no regard for your time. Boston IVF is an embryo farm. They'll get the job done, but be prepared to be treated like a number.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Overworked. I think as humans they genuinely care but are overworked so that they have to treat people as a number to get through the daily to-do list.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Stregths = experience. Weaknesses = operations and bedside manner. Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal, and my husband was treated as the free sperm donor. Scheduling was a challenge. IVF is a timely matter. If you have a day job forget it. They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse). When I started to cry they told me to "stop crying." Then they say "in reality you could have had water up to 2 hours before, we just don't like to tell people that." Since the transfer I've been trying to get a copy of the results. They said they would email it and haven't. I've been trying for six weeks. I went in today for my first ultrasound to see the fetus. Due to Covid-19, they won't let my husband come with me. (For reference, all other hospitals and clinics in Boston allow 1 visitor by this time). I asked if I can FaceTime or video and they said no it's a "strict policy." I started crying telling them how hard, impersonal, and lonely this experience has been and how hard it is for me to even get documentation of my own medical records. They didn't care - they would barely let me even look at the ultrasound screen myself. When the nurse called me with the results she said "they should be able to let you FaceTime your husband; others have been doing that." To be fair, everyone is polite and I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Very expensive, but insurance covered most.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Nurses are overworked. Getting the prescriptions was a mess - required me to make multiple phone calls to handhold the communications between Boston IVF and Avella pharmacy. They gave me conflicting information on surgery prep and clinic protocol. Didn't give clear instructions on administering hormones (i.e. what time); I asked very specific questions to get it based on research.
2012 - 2017, Successful
[Dr. Berger's] profesionalism is outstanding . If i was late , he never rushed me out . Always answers my questions no matter how silly they were...He started me on a low dose and went up slowly , wanted to prevent twin pregnancy . He monitored everything carefully and timely . I was always given an update as soon as they had the results , no matter what day of the week it was ... he diagnosed me wit PCOS and for years no doctor had even given me any results for infertility
The two places I visited [for Boston IVF] were Brookline and Waltham , and I find everything perfect . Brookline is a little smaller but very cozy and welcoming . The only thing that there’s really never any parking . They are finishing up a new parking lot. Waltham is complementary parking and always available...everyone there show they care ! They are the most sweet and understanding care takers I have encounter . Even the billing department is very understamble. Everyone there is ready to assist you . The day surgery team is amazing too , they explain everything step by step and make you feel confident .
How was your experience with Merle Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Merle has an amazing way of explaining everything, he’s very patience and very positive . Step by step he explained the pros and cons . We have two beautiful girls , and I talk to them and to everyone else about Dr. Berger , M . I have a few friends that now see Dostors at BIVF but have different doctors I think . But I feel like I became a spoke person for couples with unexplained infertility. I learned from Dr. Berger , that there is a way to have a baby , we just needs to find answers . He’s profesionalism is outstanding . If i was late , he never rushed me out . Always answers my questions no matter how silly they were . I’m very thankful to have been his patient twice and I’m looking forward to visit him for our third baby if everything goes well , we have a frozen embryo .
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Merle Berger at Boston IVF?
Listen carefully , ask all the questions , don’t fear to hear anything, sometimes he might give you an answer you don’t want to hear but it is what it is . Keep your faith !
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Merle Berger at Boston IVF?
First thing he gave me was hope ! I walked in there scared of why I couldn’t have children and he diagnosed me wit PCOS and for years no doctor had even given me any results for infertility. This changed my life because I then understood why everything was different with me , like having no periods gaining and loosing weight . No babies , etc . He gave us all the in and outs about BOSTON IVF and I felt as one of his daughters .
Describe the protocols Merle Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
He wanted to start me on trigger shots , but for insurance purposes I had to start with pills (chlomid) that didn’t work as expected. But the shots were magic. He started me on a low dose and went up slowly , wanted to prevent twin pregnancy . He monitored everything carefully and timely . I was always given an update as soon as they had the results , no matter what day of the week it was . That was for baby #1 , for our second child I started with the trigger shots , we were going for IVF due to my age , again to avoid twin pregnancy . I had an egg retrieval , but before I got to implant the embryo we got pregnant with baby #2
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
All I can say is that everyone there show they care ! They are the most sweet and understanding care takers I have encounter . Even the billing department is very understamble. Everyone there is ready to assist you . The day surgery team is amazing too , they explain everything step by step and make you feel confident .
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The two places I visited were Brookline and Waltham , and I find everything perfect . Brookline is a little smaller but very cozy and welcoming . The only thing that there’s really never any parking . They are finishing up a new parking lot. Waltham is complementary parking and always available.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Merle Berger at Boston IVF.
My insurance cover most of it , I paid $5000 deductible out of pocket . And 3,500 for the eggs. Plus copays
Describe Merle Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I agreed with everything he thought it was best for us , I trusted him as my doctor and never doubt him . I’m truly happy that he wanted me to have a single baby each time .
Merle Berger
Boston

Doctor Berger had NO preference [with Eset]. Said the chances the embryos sticking are the same if we transfer one or two...The first time I met Dr Berger he sat and spoke with me for TWO and a HALF HOURS! Answered all my questions, went through all of my paperwork chart by chart, talked about game plan, put my mind at ease and let me know ALL possible options!... He went through each medication and let me know what exactly each would be used for and how it will help.
[Boston IVF] Work WITH my cycle and even did an egg retrieval on a Sunday morning when my body was ready...PGS testing not covered so had to pay $3,700 out of pocket but it is WELL worth it. Also another $500 for meds not covered...The first time I met Dr Berger he sat and spoke with me for TWO and a HALF HOURS! Answered all my questions, went through all of my paperwork chart by chart, talked about game plan, put my mind at ease and let me know ALL possible options!
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr Berger was able to explain how this cycle would be different from my treatment at FCNE and why I am considered a special case. He went through each medication and let me know what exactly each would be used for and how it will help.
Expect a miracle!
No shots. No birth control. Letrozole, low dose hcg, leuprolide, cetrotide, gonal F, ovidrel (trigger shot), doxyclycline, medrol and crinone inserts
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Would call me and tell me they are missing paperwork when they actually had it in their possession. Failed to order meds.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Cleaner, nice facilities than FCNE. Better locations. Work WITH my cycle and even did an egg retrieval on a Sunday morning when my body was ready. FCNE only does procedures on Tuesdays so if my body wasn't ready I would be overmedicated.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Doctor Berger had NO preference. Said the chances the embryos sticking are the same if we transfer one or two.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I would just ask that the nurses LOOK in their files before accusing me of not sending the right paperwork
Boston

[Dr. Steven Bayer] was compassionate and thoughtful. However, he works at a high cost clinic - we felt like we were constantly repeating the same protocol with no changes. And we couldn't afford to continue to go there...He is great - just wish he worked at a more affordable clinic...He spoke to us like he cared and tried to help us with financial decisions...[Protocols included] Letrozole...
Strengths [at Boston IVF]: Convenience - many locations - easy to get an appointment - someone picks up the phone right away and nurses get back to you within a couple of hours. Weaknesses: Cost - just cannot afford to keep going here. The cost of the IVF egg retrieval procedure is 10k and each ultra sound / bloodwork which occurs every couple of days is also thousands of dollars. I know it doesn't cost that much to administer a 2 minute ultrasound.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Doctor Bayer was compassionate and thoughtful. However, he works at a high cost clinic - we felt like we were constantly repeating the same protocol with no changes. And we couldn't afford to continue to go there.
He is great - just wish he worked at a more affordable clinic.
He spoke to us like he cared and tried to help us with financial decisions.
Letrozole
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Convenience - many locations - easy to get an appointment - someone picks up the phone right away and nurses get back to you within a couple of hours. Weaknesses: Cost - just cannot afford to keep going here. The cost of the IVF egg retrieval procedure is 10k and each ultra sound / bloodwork which occurs every couple of days is also thousands of dollars. I know it doesn't cost that much to administer a 2 minute ultrasound.
Approximately $3000
Boston

He [Dr. Brian Berger] listened to my concerns and was very helpful with answers...was so friendly and made me feel so comfortable. He was timely in responding to me. He also gave me realistic expectations. He made the process as painless and not frustrating as he could...I have poor egg quality. We did two egg retrieval’s and PGS tasting to get the best quality egg for transfer...You have to be proactive and follow up...
A weakness [at Boston IVF] would be calling patients back. I realize it’s busy but maybe an email option would be easier for easy questions. You have to be proactive and call for results sometimes. The insurance price takes a long time for results. I found that frustrating...The nursing staff was supportive and helpful...It was difficult to get to the lab sometimes on work days. I wish there was an option for afternoon blood draws...Pgs twice coating over $7,000 Meds $1500 All other cost $10,000
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger was so friendly and made me feel so comfortable. He was timely in responding to me. He also gave me realistic expectations. He made the process as painless and not frustrating as he could.
You have to be proactive and follow up.
He listened to my concerns and was very helpful with answers.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was supportive and helpful
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A weakness would be calling patients back. I realize it’s busy but maybe an email option would be easier for easy questions. You have to be proactive and call for results sometimes. The insurance price takes a long time for results. I found that frustrating.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Pgs twice coating over $7,000 Meds $1500 All other cost $10,000
I don’t have a comment for this

Embryo Freezing
Dr Rylely himself was pleasant, but he never left me with any notes to take home. I always left feeling like I had missed something because he said so many new things and just expected me to understand what was happening or what to do next...He's a decent doctor but it hardly matters; what you need as a patient is a good billing specialist and good nursing staff. Dr. Ryley has neither.
It took 6 months to get to the egg retrieval process because communication [at Boston IVF] is just so bad. By time I was ready to start my meds, I decided to switch clinics...The nursing and administrative staff is terrible. There were repeated clerical errors - wrong birth dates, lost vials, etc. For example, I had blood drawn 3 times for diagnostics because they kept forgetting to test me for things or insisted on testing me for things I already knew I had (e.g. I knew I had sickle cell trait, but they insisted on testing me, even though I had my test results forwarded form another doctor). It's impossible to get a hold of a person by calling. You always have to wait for them to call you back and they call whenever they feel like it. At some point I was waiting for probes to be made for PGD testing. They said they would call me when they were ready to proceed and that it usually takes 1-2 months for the probes to be made. After 2 months, I called them. They said "Oh, they've been ready for a month; you should have received a call".
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
The nursing and administrative staff is terrible. There were repeated clerical errors - wrong birth dates, lost vials, etc. For example, I had blood drawn 3 times for diagnostics because they kept forgetting to test me for things or insisted on testing me for things I already knew I had (e.g. I knew I had sickle cell trait, but they insisted on testing me, even though I had my test results forwarded form another doctor). It's impossible to get a hold of a person by calling. You always have to wait for them to call you back and they call whenever they feel like it. At some point I was waiting for probes to be made for PGD testing. They said they would call me when they were ready to proceed and that it usually takes 1-2 months for the probes to be made. After 2 months, I called them. They said "Oh, they've been ready for a month; you should have received a call". Literally you are on your own with these people. It took 6 months to get to the egg retrieval process because communication is just so bad. By time I was ready to start my meds, I decided to switch clinics. I just couldn't deal with BIVF.
I didn't get to this point. Right after I was prescribed Gonal-F along with other things and 2 days before I was supposed to start them, I switched clinics.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Terrible. They never answer the phone. You're always sent to voicemail. They call back about half of the time. If you request to be called back at a specific time, they don't call you back at all. There was an issue with the lab where they couldn't find my medical records for Boston IVF. We eventually realized it was because BIVF had inputted the wrong birth date. I had my blood drawn repeatedly during the diagnostic phase because they kept forgetting stuff or refused to consult my medical records. They also referred me to a genetics counselor that was out of network. Getting that bill in the mail was great. It took me 6 months, from August to February to actually get to the point where I could start the fertility meds/injections. They're also pretty grouchy when you call.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I had an issue with insurance where Boston IVF outright lied and said my insurance would cover PGD testing. There was a lot of back and forth where they said my insurance company said they would cover it and I called my insurance and they said they were waiting on medical documents from Boston IVF. I asked them if they could give me a note in writing saying that it was covered, but of course they couldn't/wouldn't. In the end, my claim was denied by my insurance and I had to come $5,000 out of pocket. I'm not even mad, I expected this from their staff because they're egregiously impatient, overbooked, and too busy to deal with their patients. When I switched clinics, they told me it would take up to 10 business days to have my records transferred over. On the 11th business day, they still hadn't sent it over. When I called, they said "they had sent them over a week ago, but they would try again". For some reason, it went through the second time. I'm 100% sure they didn't try to send it a first time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I had insurance and did not complete my cycle

2008 - 2012, Successful
I would not have had the results I had and the positive experience I had (despite nearly 4 years of various treatments) without the support and expertise of Dr. David Ryley...At that point, while he told me he would be happy to have me continue to try with my own eggs, he also suggested that I consider egg donation to increase my odds. After some reflection, that's what I did - and he was supportive with information and with just being there all along the nearly 4 years it took for me ultimately to bring my daughter home (had prior complications related to endometriosis and started the process of becoming a single mother by choice later in life).
My nurse coordinator [at Boston IVF] was excellent...I would not have had the results I had and the positive experience I had (despite nearly 4 years of various treatments) without the support and expertise of Dr. David Ryley...Great supports in terms of ancillary services like acupuncture on site before/after retrieval, classes and support groups, massage, yoga, nutritionists etc. at the Domar Center that is attached to the main outpatient clinic in Waltham. They do well in terms of managing children coming along (separate family waiting room) and are good at creating a soothing atmosphere.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
If he says he'd recommend moving to more aggressive treatment options, listen and follow his advice right away.
Dr. Ryley was always able to respond and get me laughing even when I was feeling discouraged. At the same time, he was good at being direct and telling me what he did and did not know. He also told me when he thought my chances of pregnancy were low. At that point, while he told me he would be happy to have me continue to try with my own eggs, he also suggested that I consider egg donation to increase my odds. After some reflection, that's what I did - and he was supportive with information and with just being there all along the nearly 4 years it took for me ultimately to bring my daughter home (had prior complications related to endometriosis and started the process of becoming a single mother by choice later in life).
I started with a long succession of medicated (injectables) IUIs and then moved to a series of IVFs with ICSI. I got pregnant several times but some were clinical pregnancies and one was a miscarriage at 12 weeks. As I turned 43, Dr. Ryley recommended I consider egg donation. I did and decided to proceed. The first donor I chose had not previously donated and despite medical tests indicating everything was fine and a total of 27 eggs retrieved, only 6 fertilized and they were all low quality. I had a strong preference for a single transfer but took his advice and transferred 2 fresh, then 2 frozen and got pregnant with one of the last 2. Unfortunately miscarried at 10 weeks. I almost gave up, but did decide to try one more time with another donor who had successfully donated previously. Got more than 30 eggs, 27 fertilized and 2 of these were discarded due to poor quality. I had one transferred fresh and got pregnant and gave birth to my daughter in 2012 nearly 4 years after I had my first fertility appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
My nurse coordinator was excellent. Once I shifted to egg donation, I got a different nurse coordinator who was just as good. I really relied on them for support and answers to questions. They knew I was doing this on my own and really became my support team. There was only one negative encounter on the nursing staff in my nearly 4 years - and that was a different nurse who was working with me in the context of my first miscarriage who was not particularly sensitive to my direct questions relative to a slowing heartbeat and whether that meant some hope still or no hope. She just was not direct enough for my liking and seemed to not get that I'd rather know.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I think that all told, after insurance, and counting 2 separate egg donors, my cost was a bit below $100K (insurance covered a bunch upfront, but I paid for several IVFs myself and 2 donor egg retrievals, incl. donor and personal medications and 4 transfers)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
This was simply a nurse who helped document the declining heart rate at my first pregnancy. I would have preferred to be told whether that meant no hope or some hope directly. She gave a wishy washy answer that led me to think there was still hope and when I spoke with Dr. Ryley he corrected that to no hope. I would just rather have been told earlier to avoid the uncertainty.
Brighton

She [Dr. Murphy] is very informative. She answers every question you have with a straight answer. She doesn't give false hope and she will tell you what to expect. Even with only one failed round, I am very eager to start my next round with her as my doctor because this is not an 100% chance thing and with her as my doctor I feel like my odds increase!
Boston ivf is very clean, organized, and friendly. The office is warm and inviting. They support any kind of couples. The nurses and doctors are great with names and faces with all the people they see daily. ... Dr. Murphy suggested 1 embryo transfer because of my age and heath. ... I can't remember her name but she was the beta nurse, always called me early on the days I went in for ultrasounds. Always called me back within the hour if I had a question for her.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
She is very informative. She answers every question you have with a straight answer. She doesn't give false hope and she will tell you what to expect. Even with only one failed round, I am very eager to start my next round with her as my doctor because this is not an 100% chance thing and with her as my doctor I feel like my odds increase!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Ask her any questions you have. She will always answer you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy was very kind and always answered my questions even if I thought they were stupid questions. She made me feel like no question is stupid. She gave me everything I needed to know and didn't give me false hope.
Describe the protocols Lauren Murphy used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
In my cycle I used menopur, ganirelix, and follistim for my egg retrieval. I got 19 eggs, 8 were fertilized and 4 made it to day 5. 1 was transferred, 2 were frozen. I started progesterone the day after my egg retrieval until after my negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
I reached my out of pocket maximum because of a surgery I had prior to starting ivf so I didn't have to pay much for ivf. My lifetime max is 25k and meds is 10k, I reached my med maximum very quickly but I paid nothing for almost all of the medications, except 1 that wasn't covered and my nurse got me a very good price.
Describe Lauren Murphy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Murphy suggested 1 embryo transfer because of my age and heath.
Lauren Murphy