Merle Berger

Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2017 - 2020, Unsuccessful
During the first IUI cycle [with Dr. Pauli], we started with the lowest dose and incremented up until I was on the highest dose plus dexamethasone. For our egg retrieval, he had me do an antagonist protocol with Cetrotide. I don't know the rationale for this protocol over others, but I responded will in terms of follicles/mature eggs produced...he strongly suggested elective single embryo transfers for the first two transfers. After that, he seemed more amenable to doing a multiple embryo transfer if I pushed for that but still recommended single embryo transfers.
A few times I have not received a call [from Boston IVF] with details about the results of some diagnostic tests. I also had an incident during my third IUI where I received a false result. A mechanical malfunction caused my beta result to be recorded as positive rather than negative...is a large fertility clinic, which has advantages and disadvantages. One of the pros is that monitoring and time sensitive procedures (IUIs, retrievals, transfers) happen every day of the week, and with the exception of scheduling consultations with my RE, I'm able to schedule tests/procedures without huge delays/waits. The cons are that care may not be as personalized as it is at smaller clinics with fewer patients.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli has been fantastic. I really appreciate his straightforward manner. He's approach tends to be more conservative and while I have not gotten pregnant yet, I don't think this is a reflection of his clinical skills.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Ask lots of questions. Dr. Pauli always seemed willing to answer all my questions and explain his rationale for my treatment plans, and asking questions helped me to understand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli has really listened to my concerns, answered my questions compassionately, and was receptive when I asked about alternative transfer protocols.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did three IUIs with Dr. Pauli using letrozole, which he selected because the academic research indicates women with PCOS tend to respond better to letrozole than clomid. During the first IUI cycle, we started with the lowest dose and incremented up until I was on the highest dose plus dexamethasone. For our egg retrieval, he had me do an antagonist protocol with Cetrotide. I don't know the rationale for this protocol over others, but I responded will in terms of follicles/mature eggs produced. On retrieval day, we got 21 eggs, 16 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, and 6 embryos frozen on day 5. I did develop mild OHSS. For the first two frozen embryo transfers, Dr. Pauli had me on a birth control and Lupron down regulation then estrogen in increasing doses before starting progesterone in oil after a lining check. Both transfers resulted in negative betas. We switched to ovulation induction with letrozole and an HCG triggers shot for the third embryo transfer, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I stopped responding to letrozole, so we switched back to the original transfer protocol and did an ERA, which showed that I was 1 day pre-receptive and needed an additional 24 hours of progesterone. Our fourth embryo transfer resulted in a missed miscarriage between 6 and 8 weeks. Fifth transfer resulted in a negative beta test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicki)
Nurse Nicki primarily manages my care, and she has been fantastic. Occasionally, one of the other nurses on Dr. Pauli's team will manage my care and they have also been great. They almost always return my call on the same day if not within an hour or two of leaving a message.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
BostonIVF (which merged with IVF NE a couple years ago) is a large fertility clinic, which has advantages and disadvantages. One of the pros is that monitoring and time sensitive procedures (IUIs, retrievals, transfers) happen every day of the week, and with the exception of scheduling consultations with my RE, I'm able to schedule tests/procedures without huge delays/waits. The cons are that care may not be as personalized as it is at smaller clinics with fewer patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
My insurance has covered the majority of my costs.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
In my situation, he strongly suggested elective single embryo transfers for the first two transfers. After that, he seemed more amenable to doing a multiple embryo transfer if I pushed for that but still recommended single embryo transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A few times I have not received a call with details about the results of some diagnostic tests. I also had an incident during my third IUI where I received a false result. A mechanical malfunction caused my beta result to be recorded as positive rather than negative.

2019, Consult
Dr. Pauli was clear, direct and provided us with information that we needed to plan our treatment. Dr. Pauli presented treatment in a clear and straightforward way and was pragmatic about the course of treatment. Dr. Pauli laid out the process clearly and gave us some options. He was open to our preferences and laid out benefits and drawbacks to all potential courses...will take time, but he is also efficient and sees a lot of people. I did not get the feeling he was trying to move us along, but I came with a lot of information already, and my husband wanted to get his head around the process more. He got flustered and didn't remember some questions he had previously. Don't be discouraged that he is not initially the warmest doctor. He was pretty flat, but he is clear, direct and thorough, which at this point I value more than warmth.
Grace [nurse at Boston IVF] greeted us by name and was so kind. She met with us after and seemed willing to go the extra step to get us information we had requested around financing and potential for remote monitoring at an office closer to us, as we are self pay. She explained next steps to us, and was supportive and patient with all of our questions...We have been quoted: 8,450 IVF...The office we were seen at is a transitional space for the clinic. It was an older space within a hospital that has nice ambiance. I initially questioned whether or not we were in the right place because the suite is shared with another service within the hospital. We waited for awhile to be seen and then to meet with the nurse. Everyone was kind, but it does not seem that any department has an idea about the workings of other aspects of the operation. That makes some sense, but was confusing when we had questions about billing as a self-pay client. Everyone is knowledgeable in their area though, and it is easy to find the person you need.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Come to your appointment prepared with any questions. Dr. Pauli will take time, but he is also efficient and sees a lot of people. I did not get the feeling he was trying to move us along, but I came with a lot of information already, and my husband wanted to get his head around the process more. He got flustered and didn't remember some questions he had previously. Don't be discouraged that he is not initially the warmest doctor. He was pretty flat, but he is clear, direct and thorough, which at this point I value more than warmth.
Dr. Pauli took time to meet with us and review the specific of our case. He asked a lot of questions and made recommendations based on our preferences and his experience. He did not rush us through and left room for any questions. He was patient and considerate. He was not overly friendly or warm, but delivered information clearly and thoroughly.
Dr. Pauli mentioned that some of my levels are in the borderline range, and he might aim for a more aggressive protocol for stimulation. I am not yet sure what this means i terms of medication dosages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Grace)
Grace greeted us by name and was so kind. She met with us after and seemed willing to go the extra step to get us information we had requested around financing and potential for remote monitoring at an office closer to us, as we are self pay. She explained next steps to us, and was supportive and patient with all of our questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
We have been quoted: 8,450 IVF 4400 Frozen transfer 3700 Pre-implantation genetic testing 1200 ISCI upward of 5k meds
Dr. Pauli was cautiously open to multiple embryo transfer when my husband asked, but standard us eSet and he saw no reason to deviate given our health history and age. He would potentially consider based on quality of embryos.
Gloucester
As a patient I had very limited interactions with Dr. Wright. She did call after a cancelled cycle which I thought was appropriate. I did feel like the info structure as a whole was like an “IVF Farm” one in and one out. I had to be persistent if I felt something didn’t seem right...The best description I can give is that all my conversations with her were very transactional. Only when I pushed back or questioned something were changes made. I had to trust my instincts and question everything to have treatment adapted to me and my situation and not cookie cutter.
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] were very caring. Some days it took a while to call back; however, I feel that may have been more related to the whole system...Cancelled cycle was - 5,500 included retrieval but no transfer. Medication each cycle was 1,700...Strengths - open every day of the week, numerous locations, nursing staff Weaknesses - big clinic feel, you are a number and must advocate for yourself every step of the way if not you fall on the standard protocol which may not best for your body. It’s overwhelming and they move so fast by the time you are back in your car your head is spinning. Ask then to slow down and explain everything in detail. Ask lots of questions.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
As a patient I had very limited interactions with Dr. Wright. She did call after a cancelled cycle which I thought was appropriate. I did feel like the info structure as a whole was like an “IVF Farm” one in and one out. I had to be persistent if I felt something didn’t seem right. While Dr. Wright has done this hundreds of time it was my first time seeking IVF treatment so you have to advocate yourself.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Ask questions. A lot of questions. If the questions come later call and ask them. Don’t wait - this is your body and your potential child.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
2 cycles of an antagonist cycle, Gonal-F 300 iu, menapur 150iu - 225iu, then cetrotide for the last few days. Triggered with 10,000iu of HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Marianne)
The nursing staff were very caring. Some days it took a while to call back; however, I feel that may have been more related to the whole system.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.

2015 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Kristen Wright] is a no nonsense type person. Blunt and to the point with recommendations. We don’t feel we need coddling or hand holding as a couple so her approach worked for us. If someone needs a softer touch she may not be the best doctor. After we had a successful transfer her demeanor changed a little and she was lighter, less serious demeanor, happier for us and our situation. I think that is the nature of I fertility though, you can’t be too optimistic Incase it doesn’t work. We hit a few speed bumps and she gave us proper guidance for each step.
One major thing I want to say is the primary nurse [at IVF NE- Lexington] was very kind and helpful when I accidentally froze my injectable medications for the egg retrieval protocol. We had no fertility coverage with insurance so everything was OOP. She contacted the Gonal F rep and they got me samples to replace my medications so I didn’t have to pay over $2,000 again) she even offered to meet my husband to pick up the medication on her drive home since we lived so far away. Through the IVF process she was nice enough and left very brief messages with results/recommendations, but was also pregnant during this process which sadly left a bitter taste in my mouth not knowing if we were going to be successful (she was on maternity leave for the frozen transfer).
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
She is a no nonsense type person. Blunt and to the point with recommendations. We don’t feel we need coddling or hand holding as a couple so her approach worked for us. If someone needs a softer touch she may not be the best doctor. After we had a successful transfer her demeanor changed a little and she was lighter, less serious demeanor, happier for us and our situation. I think that is the nature of I fertility though, you can’t be too optimistic Incase it doesn’t work. We hit a few speed bumps and she gave us proper guidance for each step.
Have your questions written down ahead of time if you can. But don’t hesitate to call and ask additional ones that pop up.
Dr Wright always answered any questions we had and spoke to us frankly. We are not people that need coddling or hand holding and her approach was just right for us.
Two procedures: 1) IVF for egg retrieval and 2) embryo transfer. 1) Started Lupron 10 units SQ once daily for 10 days, then decreased to 5 units once daily and started Gonadotrpins: Gonal F 225 units SQ and Menopur 75 units SQ once daily until hCG shot (10 days later). Egg retrieval 2 days after trigger. 13 eggs retrieved, 7 mature and frozen unfertilized. We found out a week or so before retrieval that my husband had zero sperm in his sample that was to be frozen for a back up. As well as zero sperm the day of retrieval. After speaking with Dr. Wright she encouraged us to go ahead with Egg retrieval since we were so far along in the process and fertilize later on. My husband had TESE procedure 2 months after my ER and the froze 10 vials of sperm. We did not to any genetic testing or extra testing on eggs/sperm or embryos. 2) Fresh embryo transfer from frozen gametes (3 months after ER and 1 month after TESE procedure). Treated like a frozen embryo transfer schedule but with the unpredictability of transfer date like a fresh cycle. Started Aspirin 81mg and estrogen patches (I get migraines and can’t be on Estrace pills) and continued this until pregnancy test. Started Progesterone 25mg IM once daily day 15 and increase to 50mg IM daily until after positive pregnancy test and ultrasounds. Day 17 transfer of two embryos. Gametes thawed, 4 eggs survived the thaw and fertilized, 2 arrested day 1, 2 remained and were transferred as a Day 2/3 transfer to Give them the best chance at growing. Our original protocol was to transfer one embryo due to our low risk factors and age. The on call doctor made the decision to transfer both in order to give us the best chance to get pregnant, we agreed with their recommendation. Transferred a -2c and a 5b embryo. Both stuck and resulted in live (C-section) birth of B/G twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Corey, RN)
One major thing I want to say is the primary nurse was very kind and helpful when I accidentally froze my injectable medications for the egg retrieval protocol. We had no fertility coverage with insurance so everything was OOP. She contacted the Gonal F rep and they got me samples to replace my medications so I didn’t have to pay over $2,000 again) she even offered to meet my husband to pick up the medication on her drive home since we lived so far away. Through the IVF process she was nice enough and left very brief messages with results/recommendations, but was also pregnant during this process which sadly left a bitter taste in my mouth not knowing if we were going to be successful (she was on maternity leave for the frozen transfer). This was no fault of hers, just a very delicate situation dealing with infertility emotions. The phlebotomist Brenda Connolly was AMAZING. I shed many tears and asked her many questions in which she showed so much compassion, support and guidance. I personally have a hard time with gynecology visits and it’s has been something very stressful and anxiety ridden for years. So when I was informed the ultrasounds would be internal starting with day 1, I had a very anxious emotional reaction. The one ultrasound nurse (only saw her twice) was more irritated and put off that I was shocked about the ultrasound not being external. I was not informed of this prior to the appointment. After holding it together for the ultrasound I let my emotions out to Brenda who was ever so kind and I believe she spoke to the ultrasound nurse about it since her demeanor changed the only other time I saw her. Once I was completely informed and there were no new surprises I did much better with the whole process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
IVFNE was in the process of merging with Boston IVF which made things more complicated with billing more than anything. But I had a very good experience with all of the doctors I dealt with from IVFNE including the doctor that did my retrieval and embryo transfer. They are definitely a well oiled machine and know what they are doing. I didn’t feel like a number, I felt like I was being taken care of by professionals that knew what to do and did it efficiently.
Medications were completely out of pocket. They were phoned into a local compounding pharmacy that has dedicated staff to help answer any questions about fertility medication. 1) IVF for egg retrieval: Leuprolide $249 Gonal F $2,142 Menopur $972 Pregnyl (hCG) $92 Crinone $572.46 (did not use due to no fertilization at egg retrieval and non-returnable) Rx fees $16.94 Total for cycle $4,044.40 2) embryo transfer Estrogen patches $409.21 Progesterone injectable $79.85 Total cycle cost $489.06

Embryo Freezing
I felt like he [Samuel Pauli] looked into my case individually and didn’t give me a blank diagnosis and treatment....Coming from a doctor with no bedside manner Dr. Pauli is a breathe of fresh air. He has a sense of humar which is needed in this journey...He isn’t in the business’s of making multiples and does what’s best for you to not have a high risk pregnancy....
Friendly phlebotomist and ultrasound techs. Clean and modern office [Boston IVF Lexington]. Always on time for morning blood work and monitoring which I appreciate to get to work on time. Once I showed up to the wrong office and instead of making me leave and travel to another office they handled it like no big deal and fit me right in, I didn’t even have to wait. The awesome nurse knowing I’m self pay suggested I may qualify for a discount I wasn’t aware of. They also gave me med samples from the sample closet to save me a significant amount of money. New policy: sometimes you sign into the portal to look at results but it’s hard to make sense of the hormone levels.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Coming from a doctor with no bedside manner Dr. Pauli is a breathe of fresh air. He has a sense of humar which is needed in this journey and comes highly recommended in the online support group I’m in.
If you’re looking to pick a fertility doctor or make a change go for it!
I felt like he looked into my case individually and didn’t give me a blank diagnosis and treatment.
changing my injections as needed to keep follicles growing while also trying to prevent OHSS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brittany )
Goes above and beyond!! She gave me extra samples of meds since I’m self pay, filled out multiple papers for applying for scholarships and always calls in the afternoon with blood work results.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Friendly phlebotomist and ultrasound techs. Clean and modern office. Always on time for morning blood work and monitoring which I appreciate to get to work on time. Once I showed up to the wrong office and instead of making me leave and travel to another office they handled it like no big deal and fit me right in, I didn’t even have to wait. The awesome nurse knowing I’m self pay suggested I may qualify for a discount I wasn’t aware of. They also gave me med samples from the sample closet to save me a significant amount of money. New policy: sometimes you sign into the portal to look at results but it’s hard to make sense of the hormone levels.
$9,400 for IVF and monitoring plus medication roughly $2,000-$4,000
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
With PGS, [Dr. Samuel Pauli] advised to transfer 1 only. Without PGS, then we were advised to transfer 2...He is a very sweet man, but also analytical and technical as a doctor. He is a professional and all business while maintaining a very human demeanor...will tweak protocols when something doesn't work. He was always very kind and easy to talk to, and I am sad that things didn't work out. Towards the end of my time I felt like he was almost too kind and would say what he thought I wanted to hear rather than what I needed to hear.
We got along amazingly well [with the nurses at Boston IVF]. I also would get my bloodwork and ultrasounds done at a local satellite clinic and I got along spectacularly well with the phlebotomists and sonographers there after seeing them for years...If you go early [for monitoring], then you'd be fine. Mostly people didn't show up at their designated times, so it was generally first come first serve. The satellite clinic I went to was amazing and they loved seeing me so much.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He really wants to have his patients succeed, and he is very modest and will tweak protocols when something doesn't work. He was always very kind and easy to talk to, and I am sad that things didn't work out. Towards the end of my time I felt like he was almost too kind and would say what he thought I wanted to hear rather than what I needed to hear.
If you are under 35 and have no history of recurrent pregnancy loss, than you should do just fine with him. More advanced cases with older patients and recurrent pregnancy losses may need to look elsewhere.
Round 1: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl Trigger 8 eggs, all mature and fertilized. 1 fresh transfer "worked," miscarriage at 11 weeks. Karyotype revealed a normal pregnancy and unexplained loss. 2 remaining untested frozen embryos. 1st negative pregnancy test, 2nd "worked," miscarriage at 8 weeks due to triploidy. Round 2: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl Trigger Added PGS. 7 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 abnormal blast. Round 3: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl/Lupron Double Trigger Added PGS. 10 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 abnormal blast. Round 4: Lupron Flare with Lupron and Gonal F only, Pregnyl Trigger Added PGS. 11 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 PGS normal blast. Miscarriage at 6ish weeks with low beta and slow heartrate. Was found to be an abnormal blast after karyotype testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki P and Nikki F)
We got along amazingly well. I also would get my bloodwork and ultrasounds done at a local satellite clinic and I got along spectacularly well with the phlebotomists and sonographers there after seeing them for years. Unfortunately, my primary nursing team was moved to another location closer to me, and I did not like the team there, which further contributed to my leaving after the third miscarriage.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: So many different doctors and locations to choose from, you just gotta move around and see who may be the perfect fit for you. There is also a MInd-Body center on site where the surgical unit is so you can have counseling or acupuncture if you wish. Weakness: Very standard, conventional practices, doesn't always tailor the protocol to your needs well, and could have benefitted from further tests.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
If you go early, then you'd be fine. Mostly people didn't show up at their designated times, so it was generally first come first serve. The satellite clinic I went to was amazing and they loved seeing me so much.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Luckily, we have health insurance, so our rounds were completely covered. Medications had to be paid for though, but they only made out to be in the $200 range tops.
With PGS, it was advised to transfer 1 only. Without PGS, then we were advised to transfer 2.
Lexington

I can't say enough about how fantastic Dr. Pauli is. He is thorough and honest in his explanations of options for me and chances of success. He is creative and thoughtful in his approach to my treatment. He listens to my concerns and questions and I never feel talked down to. He's been invaluable in navigating this process, and I trust him implicitly...explains things honestly, realistically and thoughtfully. He is warm and genuine, and I feel very comfortable asking any questions I have.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Ask any questions you have, anytime. Dr Pauli will answer them honestly.
Dr Pauli explains things honestly, realistically and thoughtfully. He is warm and genuine, and I feel very comfortable asking any questions I have.
We used a microdose lupron flare protocol. We primed with estrogen (2 mg tabs morning/evening) from Day 21 of my previous cycle until my current cycle started. 10 units MDLupron starting the evening of my suppression check, and morning/evening thereafter. Follastim 300 units morning/evening starting on cycle day 4. We've retrieved varying numbers of eggs (anywhere from 4-7 per cycle) and anywhere from 2-4 have fertilized each cycle. I'm older (42) so getting eggs to develop to Day 5 was a problem for the first 2 cycles. This past cycle we did a fresh 3 day transfer of the 2 fertilized eggs we had, but it was not successful. We're trying a similar cycle now, and will again do a fresh transfer with any fertilized eggs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses I speak with regularly (Brittany, Nikki, Sherice) are great. They're knowledgeable about my protocol, and promptly return any calls answering questions I have.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I go to the Boston IVF location in Lexington for bloodwork, ultrasounds, and my appointments with Dr. Pauli. The appointments run on time, the nurses and ultrasound technicians are knowledgeable and happily answer all of my questions. I go to Boston IVF location in Waltham for my egg retrievals and transfers. Everything's been good there as well, I've had no issues. Appointments run on time, doctors performing the retrievals and transfers have been thorough with their explanations. No complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Most was covered under my health insurance (thankfully). We didn't end up using PGS testing, but that would be an out of pocket cost, as would using frozen donor eggs.
We are doing a multiple embryo transfer, as I'm older and my egg quality hasn't been great. Dr Pauli felt that would give us the best chance of getting pregnant.
Lexington

Dr Wright will do everything to get you there...2nd embryo transfer I got a stitch put in my cervix to help straighten it during the transfer. It worked perfectly and the transfer went more smoothly. I have 2 curves and it’s been hard at time to get the catheter in...The stitch in the my cervix was such a simple procedure I just wish it had been brought up earlier...has always taken the time to go over things each cycle or to try something new. We’ve had in person consults as well as phone consults so we wouldn’t have to wait.
The nurses [at IVF New England] were always wonderful. We had many over our visits and they were always warm and caring and helpful...It was expensive but the billing was always willing to try to get insurance to cover things...The strengths are the staff in general. They are all caring and you Know they want you succeed. The only weakness is that you don’t always get your doctor and usually a different nurse each time. While each doctor is great they don’t always know your whole story and that can be hard
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr Wright knows her stuff and she will always tell you how it is. She will break all the info down and help you understand. Having her as the one doing the procedure always made it easier. I’ve had bad experiences with iuis and embryo transfers. But the one I had with Dr Wright was the most comfortable. All together using my obgyn and Boston Ivf I’ve had 8 iuis and two embryo transfers using my wife’s embryos. None have been successful and I was thinking of giving up. My last embryo transfer I was sure it was my last try but Dr Wright changed things up and made the experience less painful and quick. While it wasn’t a success it made me rethink quitting. We’ve already come up with two alternate plans when I’m ready to restart next year.
It’s hard work to get pregnant. But Dr Wright will do everything to get you there. It can be frustrating and scary at times, but I feel you can really put your trust in Dr Wright. It was a lot of struggle for us but we have our beautiful son.
My wife and I both saw Dr Wright to try and get pregnant. My wife has gotten pregnant and gave birth, while I’m still trying. Dr Wright has always taken the time to go over things each cycle or to try something new. We’ve had in person consults as well as phone consults so we wouldn’t have to wait.
One iui cycle was with clomid 50mg for 5 days. Ovidrel 250 mcg 2nd iui: gonal f 50 iu Ovidrel 250 mcg Endometrin 100mg Embryo transfers: estradiol mg Estradiol patches .1 mg Progesterone 1 ml 2nd embryo transfer I got a stitch put in my cervix to help straighten it during the transfer. It worked perfectly and the transfer went more smoothly. I have 2 curves and it’s been hard at time to get the catheter in.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were always wonderful. We had many over our visits and they were always warm and caring and helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Unfortunately our insurance didn’t cover much. It was expensive but the billing was always willing to try to get insurance to cover things
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Lexington

[Dr. Isaac Glasteing is a] Very knowledgeable doctor who wants to find out what the problem is, come up with the best plan accordingly for a positive outcome. He is very facts and stats mind set. He answered all of our questions without making us feel overwhelmed.
They [IVF New England- Lexington] are hard to get ahold of. They primary nurse you speak to us good he was super helpful and didn’t make you feel like you should know all of this brand new information and drugs. The nurses you see daily however really could use a reminder that they are there to be apart of a beautiful experience. Very negative interactions. Horrible at drawing blood.
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
If you want the best doctor to get you a positive outcome he’s your doctor. If you’re looking for a bit more of handholding he’s not for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
I felt he was very “matter a fact “. Which did work for us. We didn’t need to be coddled. We knew what was wrong and we wanted the facts of how we were going to fix it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Feel like with how much you interact with the nurses this is where I thought patents would get more compassion. You see them daily. They should be more friendly. I can’t tell you how many blood draws I’d go in where the nurse smelt of fresh smoked cigarettes. It was disgusting yet here she is trying to draw blood. Also, they 100% need more training on how to actually draw blood. I left there covered in bruises every single time.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are hard to get ahold of. They primary nurse you speak to us good he was super helpful and didn’t make you feel like you should know all of this brand new information and drugs. The nurses you see daily however really could use a reminder that they are there to be apart of a beautiful experience. Very negative interactions. Horrible at drawing blood.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There was a lack of communication during our egg retrieval. No one informed us of over stimulation. They just kept saying the odds were so slim. However I ended up in the hospital for a week due to being overstimulated. Which resulted in cancelling the fresh transfer and waiting months to get a frozen transfer. I understand things happen. But I wish I had more support after this did happen also wish I had more information.
Lexington

Dr. Wright has treated my husband and myself with compassion, understanding and patience. We experienced a miscarriage prior to working with Dr. Wright and I greatly appreciate her ability and willingness to answer all my questions and concerns that go along with having experienced a prior loss....Dr. Wright has always taken the time to explain each one of our tests to us...Dr. Wright found I had high TSH level and correctly that, as well as a uterine fibroid which will be removed. After the removal we are starting IVF with Dr. Wright.
I can speak with regarding onboarding new patients and pre-IVF testing. The clinic does a great job with explaining the process to new patients and has wide availability to get you into appointments quickly. I did feel the testing process takes a long time...Barbara Soto and the rest of the IVF New England nursing staff in Bedford NH and Waltham offices are absolutely amazing! ..., costs of IVF with ICSI and PGS for one cycle is around $19,000.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright has treated my husband and myself with compassion, understanding and patience. We experienced a miscarriage prior to working with Dr. Wright and I greatly appreciate her ability and willingness to answer all my questions and concerns that go along with having experienced a prior loss. I feel she truly cares about me and my husband and wants to see us start our family. We have hit a few bumps in the road which has slowed down our IVF start based on various test results, but Dr. Wright has helped me start correct medication and move us along faster then my PCP. I appreciate her quick responses and willing to walk me through each step of the process.
Don't ever feel guilty asking too many questions. There is no such thing. Dr. Wright has been wonderful answering my many questions and it's made a world of difference in going through this process.
Dr. Wright has always taken the time to explain each one of our tests to us. As we are in the beginning stages of IVF, this is all very new and confusing. My husband and I have almost completed all of our pre-IVF tests and hope to start IVF with ICSI next month. Dr. wright has called me to explain my various test results and helped me to get my TSH on track for IVF. I had a miscarriage prior to this process and Dr. Wright and her staff have been so understanding in working with me knowing I already experienced a very difficult loss.
We have not yet begun IVF treatment. We are just about to finish our pre-IVF testing. Dr. Wright found I had high TSH level and correctly that, as well as a uterine fibroid which will be removed. After the removal we are starting IVF with Dr. Wright.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Soto)
Barbara Soto and the rest of the IVF New England nursing staff in Bedford NH and Waltham offices are absolutely amazing! Having recently experienced a miscarriage, this has been a very emotional process for me. The nursing staff has been unbelievable considerate while treating me. There were there as my IVF tests were delayed due to waiting for the HCG to leave my system, through many ultrasound and blood work, and through my recent sono hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
As I have not started the IVF process yet, and only completed all pre-IVF testing I can't speak to the clinic's IVF treatment, but I can speak with regarding onboarding new patients and pre-IVF testing. The clinic does a great job with explaining the process to new patients and has wide availability to get you into appointments quickly. I did feel the testing process takes a long time, and perhaps it could be just my siltation which each test seemed to bring up another issue that needed to be addressed before moving forward. Final treatment plans appoints can book a ways out so in that instance it is difficult to get in sooner, but overall I have liked my experience with the clinic.
As we are just beginning the IVF process, costs of IVF with ICSI and PGS for one cycle is around $19,000. We have spent approximately (with insurance coverage) $1500 in pre-IVF testing so far.
Dr. Wright recommends single embryo transfer.
Lexington

Dr. Wright prescribed an antagonist cycle with no birth control. This was my fourth IVF cycle, but first with her. Five eggs were retrieved and two embryos were transferred, but resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Due to diminished ovarian reserve and poor egg quality, I am going to undergo an donor egg cycle with Dr. Wright soon.... Dr. Wright never did any of my procedures, which I was disappointed about, but I did feel comfortable with the other doctor's in the practice.
The clinic [IVF NE] has multiple monitoring locations, which is convenient for someone like me who lives close to one location and works close to another. You can go to different sites depending on what works for you. The main procedures are completed at one location. They give you a scheduled time for blood work and ultrasounds, which streamlines the process really well.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright takes the time to explain every aspect of treatment clearly. I came to her with many questions and she answered all of them fully and honestly. Dr. Wright presented the facts of my case and provided me with options after discussing the benefits and disadvantages of each. She is very knowledgeable and trustworthy.
Attend appointments with a list of questions so that you can maximize your time with the doctor and get all the information you need to proceed with treatment.
I felt like a human under the treatment of Dr. Wright. I felt that she and the nurses were caring and compassionate. However, the clinic is large and at times I felt like a number - not due to the way any staff member treated me, but because I knew there were so many patients under the care of the clinic's doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
My main nurse was clear in her directions and knowledgeable about medications. She called to explain next steps and answered all my questions efficiently.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic has multiple monitoring locations, which is convenient for someone like me who lives close to one location and works close to another. You can go to different sites depending on what works for you. The main procedures are completed at one location. They give you a scheduled time for blood work and ultrasounds, which streamlines the process really well. Dr. Wright never did any of my procedures, which I was disappointed about, but I did feel comfortable with the other doctor's in the practice.
When undergoing an IVF cycle, I had majority of costs covered by insurance. With my upcoming donor egg cycle, I will pay a fee to the clinic, a fee to the outside agency, donor fee, and legal fees.
Lexington
Dr. Glatstein was very compassionate, very personable. For key milestones, he often called us himself...From the beginning, Dr.Glatstein gave us the confidence and sense of calmness we needed throughout the process. Through it all, Dr. Glastein was there for us and assuring us that we would have success! Failing a fresh embryo transfer after retrieval, we had success upon our first frozen embryo transfer. Dr. Glatstein is a passionate, patient, and kind caregiver. We were so thankful to have him on our side.
Process wise there was some confusion [at IVF New England] about who (which doctor) is performing retrievals and transfers. It was not clear to me from the beginning that my primary treating physician may not be the one performing the retrieval or transfer. I wish I received more advance notice of which doctor was on staff that day performing these duties...The clinic works tirelessly. I was worried my transfer timing might occur right on Thanksgiving Day. The assured me they work, they're open!
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Every fertility journey is unique. From the beginning, Dr.Glatstein gave us the confidence and sense of calmness we needed throughout the process. Through it all, Dr. Glastein was there for us and assuring us that we would have success! Failing a fresh embryo transfer after retrieval, we had success upon our first frozen embryo transfer. Dr. Glatstein is a passionate, patient, and kind caregiver. We were so thankful to have him on our side. Don't wait to make an appointment... go see them now!
Do not hesitate to make an appointment. Time is precious!
Describe the protocols Isaac Glatstein used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr.Glastein ordered Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide for stimulation. I believe all were low-to-moderate doses as this was my first cycle and I was 31 YO at the time. Leuprolide trigger shot was also ordered but not used as it was not needed. Retrieval resulted in 9 eggs. Estradiol patches and Crinone were ordered as supportive medications as well.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff changed quite a bit during the entire course of treatment. I believe it was the clinic's intention to assign a primary nurse but due to turnover and staffing changes it felt like I spoke with a different person every time. Although this was somewhat frustrating from a continuity of care perspective, all the nurses I spoke with were well trained and pleasant.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic works tirelessly. I was worried my transfer timing might occur right on Thanksgiving Day. The assured me they work, they're open! As a private clinic this is a major positive vs. smaller or academic clinics that may not do retrievals or transfers on Sundays or holidays for example. Process wise there was some confusion about who (which doctor) is performing retrievals and transfers. It was not clear to me from the beginning that my primary treating physician may not be the one performing the retrieval or transfer. I wish I received more advance notice of which doctor was on staff that day performing these duties.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF.
Fortunately, I had insurance coverage. I believe I paid a coinsurance for stimulation medications. Otherwise, all procedures, monitoring, testing, etc... was covered at no cost to me with the exception of cryopreservation which I believe was at or close to $1,000. We also have to pay $85 per month out of pocket for continued storage of cryopreserved embryos.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Pauli has great bedside manor, even while delivering bad news he makes you feel like he cares. I also like that he doesn’t give you false hope and tells it to you straight. Dr. Pauli has made me feel like I have say. When a cycle didn’t work he listens to my concerns and discusses the what to do next. I am a scientist so I am always reading medical journal articles, and Dr. Pauli respects that is willing to try things if it makes sense for a positive outcome.
Dr. Pauli’s nursing team [at IVF New England] openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!...the day of my fresh transfer my husband had a difficult day time with his contribution. Not only did the rooms not have any door looks, and people kept knocking on the door...The Waltham IVF location was the only complaint we have.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to ask any and everything you can think of.
Dr. Pauli along with his nursing team openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!
My first IUI we tried clomid, but it hampered growth of my uterine lining. So I ended up with a negative test. For the next two cycle of iui we just used gonal-f at 375 units twice daily, still we got a negative. I never had more than 4 follicles. For the first IVF we used BC, lupron and final-f. After the BC my body had a difficult time restarting resulting in 22 days of injections. However there were 3 follicles and two were retrieved. Both follicles were fertilized by icsi and were day 3 transfer 8A embryos my lining thickened to 7mm. Unfortunately we saw a negative. When meeting with the Dr we discussed what might have hampered things, my concern was that the BC was too suppressive so we tried just estrogen and lupron. . After 14 days of injections my lining had thickened only and I had only one follicle and It didn’t want to grow. So to my dismay the cycle was canceled. The third cycle we went back to BC with clomid, gonal-f and a antagomits. Centrolide the antagonist hurt and bruised me for weeks. Once again my lining did not grow past 4mm, I did have 2 nice follicles. Due to the low # of follicles the IVF cycle was converted to iui. Nothing stuck. Dr. Pauli told me as long as I produce eggs we will try, but I need to start thinking about using a donor egg. That is tough to hear but it is realistic. My current cycle is just beginning with BC, lupron and 375 BID. I hope we get a positive soon.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Dr. Pauli’s nursing team openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is coviently located in Lexington to my work near by. The day of my fresh transfer my husband had a difficult day time with his contribution. Not only did the rooms not have any door looks, and people kept knocking on the door. The Waltham IVF location was the only complaint we have.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Medications, copays and lab work.
Lexington

I felt like a human because she [Dr. Kristen Wright] was very kind and understanding. She took all the time we needed to explain everything to us and answer all of our questions...She laid all of our options out on the table and was very supportive of whatever we chose to do.
Boston IVF was wonderful. I was seen at multiple locations and everyone was always very kind and welcoming...The waiting rooms and exam rooms were always very clean and organized. I never came across anyone working there who was unpleasant.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
She was wonderful. She laid all of our options out on the table and was very supportive of whatever we chose to do. She explained everything in terms we could understand. Every time I was unsure about something or had a question after hours, she was always available to answer my questions. She was supportive and empathetic when we had a miscarriage and every time we got a negative pregnancy test.
Just be yourself and be honest. She will do the same for you and let you know your best course of action to become parents.
I felt like a human because she was very kind and understanding. She took all the time we needed to explain everything to us and answer all of our questions. I didn't feel rushed or unsure during any of the process.
I wasn't sure that we had fertility coverage when we first saw her so we started with timed intercourse and letrozole pills. We did that for about 3-4 cycles and didn't have any luck. I confirmed fertility coverage and from there we moved on to IUI. My 2nd IUI took but I lost the baby at 12 weeks along. Dr Wright and her team were very compassionate and sympathetic and were there for us when we were ready to try again. She performed a hysteroscopy to make sure my uterus was ready to get pregnant again. We did one more IUI and when that didn't work, we moved onto IVF. Dr Wright and her team were wonderful in explaining the whole processes to us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah )
The nursing team at Dr Wright's office was wonderful. They were always available and friendly when I had questions over the phone. And always had a smiling face when I was there at the office.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF was wonderful. I was seen at multiple locations and everyone was always very kind and welcoming. They were able to get me in fairly quickly and I never felt like a burden. They were always available any time of day if you had questions regarding your treatment. The waiting rooms and exam rooms were always very clean and organized. I never came across anyone working there who was unpleasant.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
The monitoring appointments were a breeze. They did them in the mornings between 6:30am and 8am which was perfect for me because I could go in before work and not miss any hours. There was never a big wait. Maybe 1 or 2 people in front of me. They would call you by name in the order in which you arrived. I got to know the ultrasound techs and the phlebotomist and they knew me by name and would always greet me with a friendly hello and cheer me on each cycle.
Everything was covered by insurance at the time. I only had a $50 co pay when I would go in for an office visit.
It was the doctors recommendation and our decision to transfer one embryo at a time.
Lexington

We didn't get to transfer during my treatment with Dr. Glatstein...He didn't make any adjustments to protocols, just rushed through 3 of the more common types (antagonist, estrogen priming, microdose lupron) and when none of the 3 resulted in a pregnancy on the first attempt, he didn't try to adjust anything, he just told me I would not have success with my own eggs... His bedside manner when we didn't succeed was odd and overly sugar coated, wishing me "condolences"
Boston IVF in Lexington is great, I haven't had any issues. I have gone there for my monitoring appointments and my appointments with my doctor. I've gone to the Waltham location for egg retrievals and transfers. Haven't had any problems there either...We didn't get to transfer during my treatment with Dr. Glatstein...He didn't make any adjustments to protocols, just rushed through 3 of the more common types (antagonist, estrogen priming, microdose lupron) and when none of the 3 resulted in a pregnancy on the first attempt, he didn't try to adjust anything, he just told me I would not have success with my own eggs
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Dr. Glatstein was not creative at all with his approach to my treatment. Because I was older, he put me on the highest levels of medications he could for the 3 standard protocols he used. His bedside manner when we didn't succeed was odd and overly sugar coated, wishing me "condolences". I definitely felt talked down to when we met and it made me reluctant to ask additional questions. It seemed to me like he wanted me out of his care as quickly as possible as an "older" patient. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone over 35 for that reason.
If you're older than 35, please don't waste your time. Do your research and find another provider who will approach your care thoughtfully and creatively.
I felt like Dr. Glatstein didn't put a lot of thought into my treatment, that I was immediately put into the bucket of being "old" and untreatable (I started meeting with Dr. Glatstein when I was 40). He didn't make any adjustments to protocols, just rushed through 3 of the more common types (antagonist, estrogen priming, microdose lupron) and when none of the 3 resulted in a pregnancy on the first attempt, he didn't try to adjust anything, he just told me I would not have success with my own eggs.
Standard antagonist protocol using birth control pre cycle, Menopur, Follastim during the cycle and Ganirelix toward the end. Only 1 follicle grew, converted to IUI and wasn't successful. Estrogen priming protocol next, with MDHCG, Follastim and Ganirelix. Egg retrieval resulted in 1 fertilized egg that stopped growing before Day 5. MDLupron protocol for the third round. MDHCG, MDLupron, Follastim. 2 eggs retrieved, 1 fertilized. Didn't make it to Day 5 PGS testing.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Mostly covered under my health insurance. PGS testing was out of pocket.
Describe Isaac Glatstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We didn't get to transfer during my treatment with Dr. Glatstein
Lexington

He [Dr. Paul] was incredibly knowledgeable. He took the time to go over our five previous cycles in great detail, including dosing and why he thought our outcomes were what they were. He was quick to adjust my doses when my terrible ovaries were not responding well to stims, and was very candid about the fact that my retrieval might not be successful due to my ovaries being displaced by adhesions from endometriosis.
The staff [at IVF New England]\ is mostly awesome. There was one ultrasound tech in the Brookline office who was young and super unprofessional but every other person I encountered was amazing. Every phlebotomist, secretary, ultrasound tech (except for that one), and nurse was compassionate and efficient and just all around awesome. I don’t have any weaknesses to comment on.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He was incredibly knowledgeable. He took the time to go over our five previous cycles in great detail, including dosing and why he thought our outcomes were what they were. He was quick to adjust my doses when my terrible ovaries were not responding well to stims, and was very candid about the fact that my retrieval might not be successful due to my ovaries being displaced by adhesions from endometriosis. The best was the voicemail I got from him wishing me a happy and healthy pregnancy about a week after I was released from the clinic, that and the fact that he personally called me to talk about my fertilization report. And let’s not forget that it took my last doctor eight embryos over five transfers to get me a live birth, and it took Dr Pauli just two eSETs to give me the gift of my second daughter, who is due in less than two weeks.
Take the time to ask questions, because he will answer absolutely every single one of them candidly.
He genuinely cared about our situation, and he took plenty of time to go over every detail I asked for.
We did an antagonist protocol with very high doses of stims for over a week, I think I stimmed for 10 or 11 days? HCG trigger, retrieval went well, fresh eSET resulted in a chemical but I’ve never had luck with fresh transfers. Second transfer was a successful frozen eSET, used PIO for the first time, old doc had me always using Crinone. Also used baby aspirin for the first time.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were great. They were going through some staffing changes so I was never sure who to ask for specifically, but luckily I know one of the nurses personally (mom of a friend) and even though she wasn’t on my team she stepped in and helped me out tremendously whenever I needed to speak with someone directly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The staff is mostly awesome. There was one ultrasound tech in the Brookline office who was young and super unprofessional but every other person I encountered was amazing. Every phlebotomist, secretary, ultrasound tech (except for that one), and nurse was compassionate and efficient and just all around awesome. I don’t have any weaknesses to comment on.
Covered 100% by insurance
Our original plan was actually to transfer two at a time given my history, but my insurance limited us to eSET because of my age (under 35) and prior successful pregnancy. He did originally suggest eSET but after going over my history (three transfers of two embryos at once resulting in just one singleton) agreed that two was probably safe for me. I’m glad we ultimately didn’t take that path though!
Lexington

Dr Pauli is a very science based doctor. He wanted to stick to what has been scientifically researched in terms of supplements and remedies. He listened me for my suggestions and agreed to do a procedure the way I wanted...Dr Pauli explained why it is so hard for us to conceive and was very realistic but in a nice way. He agreed to do the 7th IVF just because I wanted to. At the same time, he blurted out clinic’s success rate was gonna go down with my 7th try.
I liked the regular sonographers Annie and Deb. They told me what they were seeing and didn’t leave me wondering how many follicles I have or how big they were. The lab [at IVF New England] was usually very quick. I didn’t like the way the waiting room was. Various people were waiting and sometimes I felt sensitive to what others were there for...They were always pleasant to talk to. They were organized and answered any questions I had patiently. Their return calls were always prompt.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He is very nice. But don’t ask him about supplements and other things you would do to increase your fertility.
Dr Pauli explained why it is so hard for us to conceive and was very realistic but in a nice way. He agreed to do the 7th IVF just because I wanted to. At the same time, he blurted out clinic’s success rate was gonna go down with my 7th try. I know he said it jokingly. Except this statement, he treated us nicely.
Because I had already had four IVF cycles before I saw him, dr Pauli reviewed what worked well and didn’t work well for me from the previous cycles. He did both antagonist and birth control for prep. Used Gonal-f (follistim) as FSH and menopur and lupron. I used clamid and femera as well. When I used femera and small dose of follistim, I had day 5 transfer for the first time although it ended in negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I liked the regular sonographers Annie and Deb. They told me what they were seeing and didn’t leave me wondering how many follicles I have or how big they were. The lab was usually very quick. I didn’t like the way the waiting room was. Various people were waiting and sometimes I felt sensitive to what others were there for.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
It was about $10,000 for a complete cycle plus testing and lab. My insurance covered almost all of the full cycle.
None
Lexington

Dr. Wright has always been clear and direct with us, but is also careful to speak to us in a compassionate manner. She is very knowledgeable, consistently updating us on recent studies that relate to us and has always been very good at listening to our concerns and answered all our questions...be aware that she will not be doing many of your procedures as they are partnered with a bigger clinic that has other doctors for IVF egg retrieval’s, transfers iui’s etc.
The staff in this office [IVF New England] are incredible, they know you by name and treat you with sincere compassion...It’s a small clinic, but I never had to wait long for appointments. They do book up quickly so it generally takes about 2-3 weeks to get an appointment...Recently one of the part time nurses failed to call in a prescription for my thyroid medication....Brenda is amazing as a nurse coordinator and I truly felt that she cared for us to have a positive experience and outcome.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Be prepared with questions, Dr. wright will give you an honest opinion, so it’s important to know what questions to ask to help you understand where she is coming from. Also be aware that she will not be doing many of your procedures as they are partnered with a bigger clinic that has other doctors for IVF egg retrieval’s, transfers iui’s etc.
The staff in this office are incredible, they know you by name and treat you with sincere compassion.
We tried 2 rounds of oral pills, 1 month of clomid with timed intercourse, and 1 month of a higher dose of letrozoyle with timed intercourse. We got pregnant with letrozoyle, but miscarried shortly after. This was our 9th miscarriage so we quickly moved on to IVF. In our IVF cycles we used birth control for two weeks in my first cycle then added follistim 150units and menopur 150units for the first 5 days of my first cycle and then doubled each dose days 6-12 while also using cetrotide. Due to high progesterone we opted for a freeze all cycle. We had 15 eggs, 12 fertilized and 1 BB embryo made it to freeze. Our second IVF cycle we used menopur 150 and follistim 300 from day 1 of the cycle. We continued for 8 days before adding cetrotide in for days 8-10. We retrieved 13 eggs, 8 fertilized and transferred 2 day 5 morulas. We received a positive pregnancy test with doubling hcg and but are currently only 5 weeks along.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brenda Connolly )
Brenda is amazing as a nurse coordinator and I truly felt that she cared for us to have a positive experience and outcome. She always treated me like a friend more than a patient which is hard to come by. The other nurses were kind, and willing to answers my questions, and the ultrasound techs were always very kind as well.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It’s a small clinic, but I never had to wait long for appointments. They do book up quickly so it generally takes about 2-3 weeks to get an appointment, so that’s something I had to stay on top of, especially for follow up appointments after treatment.
Fortunately most of our treatment was forever by insurance, but I believe each IVF cycle with icsi was about $9,000
Dr. Wright prefers to transfer single embryos, unless there is a quality issue. In our case there was, so we transferred 2. She was flexible in adjusting our protocol from cycle to cycle to improve our chances based on how my body responded.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Recently one of the part time nurses failed to call in a prescription for my thyroid medication. I was understanding of the error, because it was just before a holiday and this particular nurse was the only nurse working and I’m sure had a lot to juggle. These things happen and we can’t always eliminate human error, that’s why I think it’s important to know your stuff as a patient because no one will be more on top of your care than you will.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
[Dr. Samuel Pauli] Very detailed and thorough. Made numbered lists. Talked through all aspects of the situation with precision and compassion. Calming bedside manner -- not overly empathic, so seemed trustworthy...If you like someone who makes lists and is detailed, he is your doctor. I didn't want someone who would be overly emotional -- I wanted the news straight, and that's what I got...gave precise explanations and called to follow up
Small outpost of IVF New England and Boston IVF merger. I usually went to Lexington office (IVF NE) but could also go to Waltham office (Boston IVF) for blood work and ultrasounds. I VASTLY PREFERRED the staff at the Waltham office. Ultrasound techs were friendly and communicative, phlebotimists were skilled and fast...I'd come in for morning blood work and ultrasound, and nursing staff would call with results by 2 pm. Very clear communication, gave precise directions. The one thing that didn't happen is that we did not have an appointment to specifically walk me through each of the medications (but I figured it out).
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
gave precise explanations and called to follow up
My insurance required 2 IUIs before IVF. For IUI, used Letrozole and an Ovidrel trigger. Now in middle of IVF. Using Menopur and Gonal-F for daily injections. HCG and Lupron trigger. Cabrigolide to prevent OHSS, will use progesterone cream and estrogen patches to support transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
I have excellent insurance with a $4000 deductible. after my deductible was satisfied, everything was free. Office visits were $300-$500, blood work and ultrasounds were usually around $150. Medications were thousands.
Definitely said not to do more than 2 embryos. On the fence about 1 vs 2.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr Pauli is great! He's soft spoken and kind of serious but extremely kind. He was happy to try new things. He called us after hours to give results to tests and spoke to us at length about all upcoming procedures. I trust him implicitly.
The nurses [at IVF New England] are wonderful. They are prompt with responding to your voice messages. I know some people don't like that you have to leave a voice mail and your clinic calls you back, but I prefer it sometimes. My only tiny gripe is calling after hours and dealing with the after hours team. They don't really know your back story so aren't really helpful.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don't be nervous to ask any question no matter what. He won't speak condescendingly and explains all angles of everything.
Dr Pauli calls us personally after hours to give results of tests. He once called while he was on vacation.
We did an antagonist protocol with 150iu of Menopur and 300iu of Gonal-f. We switched to a Lupron trigger from an HCG trigger because I was at risk of OHSS. We had done this protocol before but it was my best cycle so we tried it again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
The nurses are wonderful. They are prompt with responding to your voice messages. I know some people don't like that you have to leave a voice mail and your clinic calls you back, but I prefer it sometimes. My only tiny gripe is calling after hours and dealing with the after hours team. They don't really know your back story so aren't really helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
One weakness is that the satellite offices aren't as accessible as I'd like for monitoring appointments. It would be great if they opened the same time as the main clinic (It would be even greater if the main clinic opened about 30min earlier too) and if they were open on the weekends. The main clinic is over an hour away from me and the satellite is about a 20min drive so that's a bit of an irritation. And one major gripe is that the clinic recently closed and moved locations. We weren't given much notice. I'm not the biggest fan of the new locations and I will miss the old clinic. Change is inevitable I guess, I just would have liked more notice and a bit more information on how we would be affected. But I love my clinic. Everyone is so kind and they're very well organised. They're extremely responsive and I never felt like a number there.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Relatively efficient. A bit of a wait for blood work but nothing too crazy. The ultrasound techs are lovely.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Everything is covered under my insurance. PGD testing is covered as a reimbursement.
We've never had the privilege of the choice but Dr Pauli said that because we're doing PGD testing he would recommend transferring one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
It was a mistake that was quickly rectified. They thought that my husband didn't have a sperm sample. But we definitely did. We were being billed for it. By the time I called back to dispute they'd already gotten the correct information.

2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr. DiGirolamo met with us a number of times at the start of each cycle to talk through the process and listen to our concerns. There were times when it was hard to get a 'straight answer', especially after failed cycles - everything seem to be generalized as egg quality or not 'viable' - but I also understand that she can't explain exactly why the cycle failed. After visits with the doctor we would meet with the nurse to go over the instructions for the start of the cycle. Once we started, we didn't see the doctor again; just talked to the nurse with instructions after U/S and bloodwork...
[IVF New England - Lex] Front desk staff is very friendly and gets to know you over your visits. The phlebotemists and Ultrasound technicians couldn't be nicer. They are all friendly and welcoming - and this is a big plus because these are the people you see throughout your cycle face to face - not the nurse and not the doctor. I feel comfortable there - more than at any other doctor's office. The same can be said about the staff for egg retrieval - very nice/friendly/compassionate with you - especially if you are nervous for each egg retrieval like I am.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr DiGirolamo met with us a number of times at the start of each cycle to talk through the process and listen to our concerns. There were times when it was hard to get a 'straight answer', especially after failed cycles - everything seem to be generalized as egg quality or not 'viable' - but I also understand that she can't explain exactly why the cycle failed. After visits with the doctor we would meet with the nurse to go over the instructions for the start of the cycle. Once we started, we didn't see the doctor again; just talked to the nurse with instructions after U/S and bloodwork
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
I would give this for any doctor: the process is overwhelming and even if you think you asked everything and understood anything when walking out the door, make sure to leave the door open for follow up questions or to repeat information. Ask the doctor what is the best way to contact them or their nurses for these types of questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She seemed genuine in giving us advice and telling us the process
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
strong protocol with stimulation medication to help with low reserve
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Negative: Some of the nurses would be short with you if you asked questions or when explaining your instructions - probably because they repeat themselves a number of times a day - but depending on who called you, it could be annoying. Also, they were hard to get a hold of. If I called, I never had anyone answer live...I always had to leave a voicemail and wait for a call back. Not everything is explained in detail. I recently did a cycle where it was a freeze all due to genetic testing. They kept telling me to call when I got my period after the retrieval - but didn't indicate why. I didn't ask (so that's on me) but assumed they just needed to track it. When I got my period and called, they said I would need to go on the pill - and the reason for that was because I was still waiting for financial approval of the frozen cycle and they need to control my period. Not a big deal, but I thought it was weird that this was not explained to me previously. I think overall it boils down to - they same the same thing, more or less - to probably 20 or more patients a day - so sometimes you can tell they want to just spit out the instructions and be done. Positive: while some of the nurses were bitchy, some were really nice, patient and tried to help. There was one time when my medication order got messed up with my insurance and the nurse worked with for a few hours trying to fix it. While I said all that 'negative' stuff, 8 times out of 10 I got a really nice nurse.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
I'm unsure as my insurance covered about 90%. I think each cycle - with a fresh transfer cost around $9000
Lexington
Dr. DiGirolamo wanted to put me on birth control to regulate my cycles. I was against that, since I had been on for 18 years. Instead, she put me on an estradiol and prometrium protocol. After 5 months of that, we started IUI cycles...The dosage of Menopur started at a lower dosage to see how I responded to it, and increased as each cycle progressed. After the first two IUIs, she increased my medication dosage for the third and fourth cycles. The fourth cycle finally worked, and we are expecting a little girl later this year.
Whenever I called [IVF New England], I got the answers I needed. The billing took a while at times (more than a month), but not a deal breaker. The only challenge was during my last cycle, they were in the process of moving facilities and my doctor was moving to another location...Many of Dr. DiGirolamo's staff was great. From the nursing team, to ultrasound techs, to her administrative assistant - everyone was great.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. DiGirolamo was straight-forward and honest about our situation and options. She was not overly "warm and fuzzy" - but that was fine with me. She was willing to try a course of treatment with us that the first doctor we saw did not offer. She gave us hope.
She is very patient! She answered all of our questions with patience and kindness. She was honest with us, and I appreciated this so much.
She was straight-forward with our situation and treatment options. She said that while many doctors would not try IUI with us, she wanted to make sure we tried all options before having to make a more significant decision (like using donor eggs). I appreciated her candid nature and honesty.
At first, my FSH was very high, and my cycles were irregular. Dr. DiGirolamo wanted to put me on birth control to regulate my cycles. I was against that, since I had been on for 18 years. Instead, she put me on an estradiol and prometrium protocol. After 5 months of that, we started IUI cycles. We used injectible meds (Menopur), Ovidrel trigger shot, and Crinone gel and estrogen patches post-IUI. The dosage of Menopur started at a lower dosage to see how I responded to it, and increased as each cycle progressed. After the first two IUIs, she increased my medication dosage for the third and fourth cycles. The fourth cycle finally worked, and we are expecting a little girl later this year.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bryna and Roisin)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic overall was good. Whenever I called, I got the answers I needed. The billing took a while at times (more than a month), but not a deal breaker. The only challenge was during my last cycle, they were in the process of moving facilities and my doctor was moving to another location. When my husband went to drop off his sample, he ended up having to wait quite a long time just to drop it off (30+ min). I had to go to Waltham instead of Lexington for my last appointment.
I was very fortunate to have my procedures covered by my employer offered insurance policy. I only had to pay a co-pay to meet with the doctor, and for each IUI procedure. I also had prescription med coverage, so I paid the top tier co-pay for specialty meds.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
n/a - we did IUI, not IVF.
Lexington
She [Dr. Luzzo] is warm, compassionate, knowledgeable and realistic. She switched up my protocol and my very first cycle with her was successful...She diagnosed me with lean PCOS, something the first doctor missed...listens to her patients. She makes a plan based on your specific needs...After 2 chemical pregnancies and 2 miscarriages Dr. Luzzo suggested I go on the blood thinner lovenox. Instead of doing estradiol which I did with my first clinic, I took letrezole for 5 days. That was all I needed to do leading up to my FET. I am currently 29 weeks with twin boys after transferring 2 embryos.
It [IVF New England] is a small clinic and not open on Sundays. On days that were busy blood work may take a little longer than usual...Everyone on the nursing staff was so nice. My coordinator was Wendy and she was absolutely amazing. I really liked that it was her who called each time with results, it FET more personal...One thing is even though monitoring is and most testing is done in Providence you would have to go to MA for transfers and occasionally even monitoring of it needed to be done on a Sunday.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr Luzzo was the second doctor I saw after 2 failed IUIs and 4 failed FETs. She diagnosed me with lean PCOS, something the first doctor missed. She is warm, compassionate, knowledgeable and realistic. She switched up my protocol and my very first cycle with her was successful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Ask questions and be open with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She is warm and actually listens to her patients. She makes a plan based on your specific needs.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Shaw)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It is a small clinic and not open on Sundays. On days that were busy blood work may take a little longer than usual. I liked how I only ever had two ultrasound techs, and my coordinator. One thing is even though monitoring is and most testing is done in Providence you would have to go to MA for transfers and occasionally even monitoring of it needed to be done on a Sunday.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Even though I had cycled 4 times in the past, Dr. Luzzo really pushed to do an eSET to start as it would be the first time cycling with her. Although I totally trusted her I opted to go against medical advice and transfer two since this would be my 5th FET.
Kerri Luzzo
2014 - 2017, Successful
His [Dr. Samuel Pang's] manner can be rather dry but he is a good doctor and our procedures were successful. Also, he pushed the egg bank they worked with quite a bit which I guess is understandable but I might remind someone that there are others and they can use any one that they want...I will say that I wish they had not been so negative about transferring two embryos, and that the communication with the nursing team could have been better. However, you can't argue with success and ultimately I have a very positive feeling toward them because I have my beautiful son and am four weeks away from having a daughter if all goes well.
I will say that I wish they [the team at IVF New England] had not been so negative about transferring two embryos, and that the communication with the nursing team could have been better. However, you can't argue with success and ultimately I have a very positive feeling toward them because I have my beautiful son and am four weeks away from having a daughter if all goes well.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
He was very knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. The first IVF someone else performed the procedure but he did the second one. It worked on the first try both times. I have nothing else to say but you are requiring me to get to 200 characters which seems sort of ridiculous.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
His manner can be rather dry but he is a good doctor and our procedures were successful. Also, he pushed the egg bank they worked with quite a bit which I guess is understandable but I might remind someone that there are others and they can use any one that they want.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pang used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don't remember specifically. I believe that the first time I took Lupron, Estrace, and Progesterone. The second time I only took Estrace and Progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Paula Dwan)
They seemed a bit disorganized to me. The communication was also not great. Friends that used other clinics talked about how they could email questions and also how close they felt to their nurse because they talked to them so much. There were some times that they forgot to call when they were supposed to and so forth.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I really can't speak to this too much. We didn't go anywhere else so I have no basis for comparison. I will say that I wish they had not been so negative about transferring two embryos, and that the communication with the nursing team could have been better. However, you can't argue with success and ultimately I have a very positive feeling toward them because I have my beautiful son and am four weeks away from having a daughter if all goes well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pang at Boston IVF.
I really don't remember exactly. I think the first time was around $15,000 and the second time was around $4000.
Describe Samuel Pang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Yes, he was very discouraging on transferring more than one embryo at a time. I still wish we had tried for that and that I had been more assertive about it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Nothing I care to elaborate on. I can barely remember anyway.
Samuel Pang

2012 - 2016, Successful
He [Samuel Pauli] was willing to entertain my out of the box suggestions but I found his own approach very cut and dry. Admittedly I was not always right and when we did finally successfully conceive it was on a cycle that was very close to his original treatment plan. I liked that he was open to new research and always explained risks and benefits of what to try and if statistically it could make a difference. Personality wise he's very serious and my husband always joked that my humor was lost on him. He did always listen and considered our best interest and was encouraging that even with l we had been through that he was confident we would figure out something that would work and he was right.
Their practice [at IVF new England] is more patient focused but at times I felt like they wanted to use a cookie cutter approach instead of customizing a cycle for my needs. A lot of the 'out of the box' treatment we pursued was at my research and suggestion. However, Dr Pauli was always open to listening without judgment and while some things worked and some did not he was willing to try new things.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Much of what I wrote previously, he was willing to entertain my out of the box suggestions but I found his own approach very cut and dry. Admittedly I was not always right and when we did finally successfully conceive it was on a cycle that was very close to his original treatment plan. I liked that he was open to new research and always explained risks and benefits of what to try and if statistically it could make a difference. Personality wise he's very serious and my husband always joked that my humor was lost on him. He did always listen and considered our best interest and was encouraging that even with l we had been through that he was confident we would figure out something that would work and he was right.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and make suggestions if there's something you've read or something a friend has used that he hasn't recommended. He's very patient and informed and willing to work with his patients.
Their practice is more patient focused but at times I felt like they wanted to use a cookie cutter approach instead of customizing a cycle for my needs. A lot of the 'out of the box' treatment we pursued was at my research and suggestion. However, Dr Pauli was always open to listening without judgment and while some things worked and some did not he was willing to try new things.
I can't remember specific names but my first cycle was just gonal f with trigger and fresh transfer. 12 eggs, 6 mature, 5 fertilized, 1SET, 2 frozen. Miscarried at 10 weeks. My second was a natural cycle frozen transfer of 2 embryos. Miscarried a singleton pregnancy at 7 weeks. My second retrieval we extended retrieval after trigger from 36 hours to 40 hours as my first cycle only half of the eggs were mature. We also added menopur & dexamethasone. 16 eggs retrieved , 13 mature, 12 fertilized. Fresh day 5 SET followed by chemical pregnancy. Next natural cycle FET of 2 embryos, negative result. Next natural cycle FET of 1 embryo, chemical pregnancy. Third retrieval we used a cycle I found from some doctor in NYC and although Dr Pauli didn't agree he let me try it and it was disastrous. It was heavy on menopur but I can't remember the other details. It took a long time to mature any eggs and at by retrieval i had 6 follicles but only 3 eggs and 2 was mature. Both fertilized and we did a day 2 transfer, negative result. After that we took a few months off. Our last retrieval we decided to do Human growth hormone injections and PGD testing. The cycle otherwise was similar to my second with gonal f (200) menopur (75), dexamethasone and HGH. He did an extended time between trigger and retrieval again. We ended up freezing all due to progesterone rise before retrieval and subsequent OHSS. Although i had only 13 follicles they were much better quality and 12 were mature eggs and all 12 fertilized. 7 were sent for PGD testing as 5 day embryos. 6 were genetically normal. A month later we did a natural FET of 2 embryos (an elective SET was strongly recommended but we decided to transfer 2 anyway). We had twin girls from that transfer, born healthy at 38w3. 17 months later we did another natural FET of one embryo. We did find out the gender prior to FET and are expecting a boy in 5 months.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole, Becky)
They answered calls or responded to messages promptly and were considerate to my work schedule at the time. They were willing to answer questions and always caring and patient.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Flexible and considerate with scheduling, prompt in answering messages, interested in your own outcome and not just statistics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
My insurance fortunately covered almost everything but copays.