Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

The doctor [Dr. Sneeringer] was very pleasant and at the same time realistic. We were given the facts and although we did not go as far as she planned us needing to go, we were always informed...VERY thorough in her workup which ultimately led to our baby girl we are expecting. If the workup was not so thorough I never would have found the reason I kept losing pregnancies. We are forever grateful.
[The nurses at Boston IVF were] Always friendly and so happy for us when the time came...Sometimes you will be called by and NP and it may be someone you have not met before. In my opinion it did not matter as long as I was being cared for in a timely manner. With other people it may matter and you may want a one on one relationship with the doctor...I was given baby aspirin for MTHFR and elevated PAI 1. I was also given metformin 1500mg daily for elevated insulin with no other signs of PCOS.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
We truly enjoyed being patients of Dr. Sneeringer. She was very realistic and VERY thorough in her workup which ultimately led to our baby girl we are expecting. If the workup was not so thorough I never would have found the reason I kept losing pregnancies. We are forever grateful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Just keep going! Keep plugging away. There are many roads to becoming a parent and if one doesn't work try the next. It is an extremely difficult experience but nothing is more worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
The doctor was very pleasant and at the same time realistic. We were given the facts and although we did not go as far as she planned us needing to go, we were always informed.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I was given baby aspirin for MTHFR and elevated PAI 1. I was also given metformin 1500mg daily for elevated insulin with no other signs of PCOS. Once the next pregnancy was achieved we were given Crinone 8% gel daily which I believe was the best thing that helped our daughter grow. I continued crinone for 28 weeks although it was only recommended until 10. I just had too big of a feeling that she needed it and my progesterone was low multiple times when I had lab work done. Our daughter is now coming in just a week!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Always friendly and so happy for us when the time came. They even asked that we bring the baby in to see them which we will!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
The lab work was the most expensive being about 800 dollars but at the time our insurance was not the greatest. The medications totaled about 35 per month which was great!
Stoneham
she [Dr. Sneeringer] made adjustments to the second with increased menopur and gonal F and used cetrotide as well to increase mature eggs...has taken time to listen time after time. She takes time to explain things and address my concerns. She sets my mind at ease... is patient and understanding of everything. She listens to questions and concerns and provides care plans that work for me. She doesn't hesitate to explain things further when needed and has been available for questions.
Some members of the nursing staff [at Boston IVF] are incredible. I can turn to them to settle my anxieties and get the answers that I need. One nurse in particular has also been through the fertility process and really understands. Other nurses could use some help with bed side manners and communication...Waiting for one of my beta results I did not get a phone call. One nurse believed another nurse had relayed the results as I had contact her during the day. There was also an issue of the nurse believing she left me a voicemail but I did not receive one.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr Sneeringer is patient and understanding of everything. She listens to questions and concerns and provides care plans that work for me. She doesn't hesitate to explain things further when needed and has been available for questions.
Tell her what is on your mind and what concerns you may have. She can help with solutions or easing your concerns.
Dr Sneeringer has taken time to listen time after time. She takes time to explain things and address my concerns. She sets my mind at ease.
Don't remember first egg retrieval protocol but she made adjustments to the second with increased menopur and gonal F and used cetrotide as well to increase mature eggs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some members of the nursing staff are incredible. I can turn to them to settle my anxieties and get the answers that I need. One nurse in particular has also been through the fertility process and really understands. Other nurses could use some help with bed side manners and communication.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
At BIVF I don't feel like a number. I feel like a patient. They do a great job with scheduling, testing, consents, and overall coordinating. The only opportunity I see is getting all their nurses to the same level of care.
Stoneham

she [Dr. Rita Sneeringer] decide because of my age that a 2 embryo transfer was going to give me a better chance...explain every aspect of the treatment. she was clear with all that could of happen. She is very griendly and down to earth doctor.She understands what my needs were. she really try to communicate every thing to us in every visit...I was started with honal-f 900 I and then manipur 75 iu was added, centroine and the last last inject was the trigger shot of HCG. I had no adverse reactions to this medications.
My nurse [at Boston IVF] was very compassionate she always call with any news. overall all the nurses there are friendly and compassionate...well the clinic could give out brochures on the treatments and it need to update their reception area. To a new patient just be patience when going in for blood work or ultrasound because even if you are given an appointment is by signing in so the earlier you are there the better
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr sneeringer explain every aspect of the treatment. she was clear with all that could of happen. She is very griendly and down to earth doctor.She understands what my needs were. she really try to communicate every thing to us in every visit
Ask about financial help if paying out of pocket. Don't be afraid to ask questions when in doubt
the staff was very nice they undrstand what i was going thru
I was started with honal-f 900 I and then manipur 75 iu was added, centroine and the last last inject was the trigger shot of HCG. I had no adverse reactions to this medications. Which am grateful for
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
My nurse was very compassionate she always call with any news. overall all the nurses there are friendly and compassionate
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
she decide because of my age that a 2 embryo transfer was going to give me a better chance

2014 - 2019, Unknown Success
[Dr. Rita Sneeringer] was easy to speak with, gave facts in a kind manner...She is conservative with the medical technology and prefers to "put the eggs through hoops" with lab growth then genetic testing...does not prefer to have Day 3, Day 5 transfers. Prefers genetic screening then frozen transfer. Prefers 2 embryos at most...I felt she brought up donor eggs too early after one unsuccessful cycle
[Boston IVF] Primary care nurse was professional but not compassionate. Made statements that weren't necessary. I had to insist on email to have better communication...all my surgeries were also at the clinic and I felt at ease with the surgical team...Egg freezing cycles = $15,000-17,000. 3 elective frozen egg cycles. Human growth hormone = $3,000.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer is probably one of the best in the industry. She is compassionate, friendly, and genuinely wants to see you succeed. She knows when to also be firm and assert her expertise. She did let me ask about novel protocols, etc. The one issue is she is conservative and plays it safe. I was also using frozen eggs. She insisted on developing the eggs past 5 day blasts and having genetic testing on both fresh and frozen eggs. After several failed cycles I asked for a Day 3 transfer and she agreed to a Day 5 transfer. That helped me conceive. But we used every egg and I have no frozen eggs left. I often wish we had done a Day 5 transfer on earlier cycles. Or we had frozen the one remaining embryo that was left with the frozen egg at Day 5. I may have been able to have one more child?
Dr. Sneeringer is one of the best fertility specialists. She is genuine and cares. Some people prefer a stronger voice, but she is professional and asserts her medical expertise when necessary. She is conservative with the medical technology and prefers to "put the eggs through hoops" with lab growth then genetic testing. I felt she brought up donor eggs too early after one unsuccessful cycle. But otherwise, every interaction with her was professional and with the highest level of medical attention and care.
MD was easy to speak with, gave facts in a kind manner. Head nurse had little bedside manner and even made a statement saying that I shouldn't expect good results as I have low ovarian reserve. It was psychologically difficult process and did not need to be exacerbated.
Cycle 1 - 4 Frozen, Fresh retrieval Cycle 2 - 3 Frozen, Fresh retrieval Cycle 3 - 0 Frozen, Fresh retrieval - Genetic Screening - 1 AA embryo, Frozen transfer Cycle 4 - 7 Frozen, Fresh retrieval - 1 BB embryo and one morula, Day 5 transfer, 1 conception (no genetic screening due to day 5 transfer) Strategies used: 7% chance of frozen eggs working, so best to have fresh cycles with frozen eggs. Always use genetic screening to be safe even with eggs frozen at age 35 and 36.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg Kennedy)
Primary care nurse was professional but not compassionate. Made statements that weren't necessary. I had to insist on email to have better communication. Also, I'm in meetings all day, open office, and wireless firewalls for mobile phone issues. The secondary nurse, Bonnie, was much easier to work with, understood how/why I needed to communication using certain means.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I chose a suburban clinic and not a hospital so that I could receive better 1 on 1 attention. It was much more pleasant than going into a clinical setting. I liked that all my surgeries were also at the clinic and I felt at ease with the surgical team. Weakness was easily being able to get to the clinic. Luckily, my physician also worked in a clinic near my home and I was able to get monitoring and blood work there and still make it to work on time.
Dr. Sneeringer does not prefer to have Day 3, Day 5 transfers. Prefers genetic screening then frozen transfer. Prefers 2 embryos at most. Conservative with number of embryos to be transferred.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I personally took paper documents to another IVF clinic. An electronic transfer would have been easier. However, that was the only issue. There were never drug Rx mistakes or surgical mistakes.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Alan Penzias] was very thorough in looking through an extensive medical record and breaking it down as to where all my information put me, he answered all my questions honestly but with care and hope. He helped me feel better about my situation by being direct and informed about my diagnosis of unexplained infertility and what my specific history meant for this. I had previously been told by doctors that nothing was wrong, that recurrent miscarriage just happens and to keep trying which just seemed so unrealistic and inhuman to say, Dr. Penzias recognized what had been been happening right away as a problem and concern, he found me a solution and provided hope with a very uncertain condition.
They [doctors at Boston IVF] insisted on a single transfer, it's common practice in this clinic and they have high success rates with it. While I would have rather transferred 2 embryos to start, the risks with multiples in pregnancy was enough that I didn't argue it, and we had a successful single transfer...They are an extremely compassionate and educated group of people. They are a timely clinic, I never waited around past my appointment time.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He was very educated and informed, and able to explain things without going over your head when he talks. I personally appreciate somebody who is very honest, so Dr. Penzias was a great doctor for me. He's very straight forward if you ask him a question and confident in his responses, when your dealing with infertility at first you usually come across doctors that don't know much about it, so it was comforting for me to not hear any hesitation when he spoke. By breaking down my personal experiences with my diagnosis of unexplained infertility, he was able to say with confidence that IVF could be a good solution for me and he was correct. I could never thank him enough.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Listen to what he's saying when he discusses your condition with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He was very thorough in looking through an extensive medical record and breaking it down as to where all my information put me, he answered all my questions honestly but with care and hope. He helped me feel better about my situation by being direct and informed about my diagnosis of unexplained infertility and what my specific history meant for this. I had previously been told by doctors that nothing was wrong, that recurrent miscarriage just happens and to keep trying which just seemed so unrealistic and inhuman to say, Dr. Penzias recognized what had been been happening right away as a problem and concern, he found me a solution and provided hope with a very uncertain condition.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I've had one IVF cycle, and I am currently 8 months pregnant with my first child. IVF was determined to be the best course of action, I previously had lost 5 pregnancies over 2 years, giving me a diagnosis of recurrent pregnancy loss and unexplained infertility. I had no issues getting pregnant, but could not carry past 6 weeks. I was given progesterone to help maintain the pregnancy until 11 weeks gestation. Ovidrel was the drug used to cause ovulation. Menopur with gonal-f were used during egg stimulation producing 14 eggs in total.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley?)
I didn't see a nurse often. I saw more medical assistants and sonographers than anybody during my cycle. They were all great and I never had to wait around, my appointment times were always met or even early if I was there early.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are an extremely compassionate and educated group of people. They are a timely clinic, I never waited around past my appointment time. With that said, if I was there early they could usually get me in sooner, or the one time I was late they didn't make me reschedule, told me they would see me when I got there and to drive safe, and they did in fact see me within 15 minutes after I showed up late. I just can't say enough good things about this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered the cost of most of it.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
They insisted on a single transfer, it's common practice in this clinic and they have high success rates with it. While I would have rather transferred 2 embryos to start, the risks with multiples in pregnancy was enough that I didn't argue it, and we had a successful single transfer.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
She’s [Dr. Thornton is] a good listener and answered questions in detail and has a kind demeanor. She also took interest in my life outside treatment so I didn’t feel like just a number. It was important for me to have a black female doctor and I felt I could more easily talk about racial concerns...She recommended COQ10 in addition to the prenatal vitamin I was already taking...
It’s almost impossible to get someone to answer a call directly [at Boston IVF]. It tends to go to voicemail with a long message about their callback policy that you can’t skip. During the treatment cycle they were very responsive and and warm. Missing a call created anxiety especially before I started a treatment cycle, because I’d have to leave a message again...Communications had sort of a factory feel. Before scheduling my initial consult I wished someone could have laid out potential future appointments and blood/ultrasound monitoring during egg retrieval...
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She’s a good listener and answered questions in detail and has a kind demeanor. She also took interest in my life outside treatment so I didn’t feel like just a number. It was important for me to have a black female doctor and I felt I could more easily talk about racial concerns.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Don’t delay in scheduling since her calendar books quickly, and be persistent about getting an earlier appointment/ask to get put on the waitlist and follow up
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She listened to my concerns and answered my questions and also expressed interest in personal details outside the treatment.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
She recommended COQ10 in addition to the prenatal vitamin I was already taking. I injected meds to increase my follicles and eggs and had frequent monitoring to time my retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
It’s almost impossible to get someone to answer a call directly. It tends to go to voicemail with a long message about their callback policy that you can’t skip. During the treatment cycle they were very responsive and and warm. Missing a call created anxiety especially before I started a treatment cycle, because I’d have to leave a message again
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Provide an easier way for patients to get in touch and get questions answered sooner. Communications had sort of a factory feel. Before scheduling my initial consult I wished someone could have laid out potential future appointments and blood/ultrasound monitoring during egg retrieval. I would have potentially opted for a closer clinic had I known that
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered everything except embryo genetic testing. I’m still not sure if donor sperm is covered
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We discussed potentially transferring more than one embryo due to my age.
Waltham

Dr. Sneeringer recommended eSET for our first transfers, but after 2 unsuccessful tries, was open to transferring two for us...we appreciated her kindness and bedside manner. She was always up to date on our case, empathetic, and confident. She was open to any and all questions, and was thorough in explaining things to us. She tailored my testing to me specifically based on family history (adding some additional genetic tests after discussing my mother's fertility history)
Boston IVF is definitely a huge clinic, but we wanted that. We wanted a clinic that was invested in our success. Make sure you get to know your nurse coordinator, and know that you'll always leave a message on the nurse line and it will be returned in a timely manner. All of the lab and ultrasound staff are amazing as well. Morning monitoring is a seamless procedure at Boston IVF.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was a great fit for us, we appreciated her kindness and bedside manner. She was always up to date on our case, empathetic, and confident. She was open to any and all questions, and was thorough in explaining things to us. She tailored my testing to me specifically based on family history (adding some additional genetic tests after discussing my mother's fertility history).
Dr. Sneeringer was very kind, and we always appreciated our consultations with her. We felt supported by her and her team.
I did a basic antagonist protocol - 10 days of BCP, then 11 days of Gonal-F with the last 5 days adding Cetrotide. I did Ovidrel trigger for all procedures. She kept me on a mid-range protocol and wanted middle-of-the-road results for me, which she said we achieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was excellent, all of my medications were ordered without hiccup. My calls were always returned in a timely manner, and even weekend and after-hours staff were wonderful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
My care was completely covered by my insurance, except for my deductible for my egg retrieval.

2019 - 2020, 13 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Berger took the time to understand my condition. He listened to me and diagnosed something I had my entire adult life and had gone undiagnosed for years...Within minutes of speaking with me and looking at my results he had determined that I had lean pcos. As he described symptoms that I’d had my entire life, I was in disbelief that someone I’d met minutes before had finally figured me out...
[Boston IVF is] Organized kind and helpful. Note that they are extremely busy (you may have to wait a bit to see Dr. Berger for first apt so do not hesitate to call now) but always call back as promised and are extremely helpful with scheduling...I did egg retrieval which was self pay. I believe cost was around $6,500 plus drugs...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Where to begin? I started my egg freeze process just about one year ago with a different doctor. All of my initial labs came back great. My first and second round of treatment ended with a terrible result (compared to what was expected). I ended up with only 3 mature eggs each time. The doctor I was seeing at the time diagnosed me with unexplained diminished ovarian reserve and more or less wrote me off. At this time, I went to Dr. Berger for a second opinion. Within minutes of speaking with me and looking at my results he had determined that I had lean pcos. As he described symptoms that I’d had my entire life, I was in disbelief that someone I’d met minutes before had finally figured me out. I was relieved but cautiously optimistic because of 2 bad cycles with the previous doctor. I began treatment for pcos. I just got back from my cycle with dr. Berger. I had 16 eggs retrieved and 13 frozen. That is four times what I got in my two previous cycles. I am so thankful I found Dr. Berger. Had I not gone to him for a second opinion I may never have known I had pcos and might have never figured this out. Additionally, he was extremely kind and informative. I cannot recommend him enough. Thank you Dr. Berger !!!!
Put your faith in his expertise!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Metformin to treat pcos Began estradiol one week before cycle day 1 Gonal f with decreasing dosage as treatment went on Low dose hcgc Certrotide Ovradil to trigger
Kind and helpful!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
The first appointment [with Dr. Penzias] was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next...We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance
She [Boston IVF nurse] is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean...I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic...I have a copay for each appointment. IUI we paid for out of pocket at roughly $500. The drugs were $500. This came as a surprise to us
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
The first appointment was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next. Until Covid it was very hard to get an appointment and normally required one month wait. This feels like forever when battling a ticking body clock. I liked that he used my data to figure out next steps. I did not feel especially like the treatment was custom made for me but we have not yet been able to start an IVF cycle. It was nice that he tried to enrol us in a clinical trial.
Make a list of all your questions before you go in else the appointment will be very short and you will feel unsatisfied
The first appointment was really helpful. He was very kind in the last appointment as I have been waiting so long. Dr P likes statistics and sometimes I feel like I am one of them.
We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance. This was more of our decision due to cost. I feel like if we had insurance we would have jumped straight to IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
I feel like I speak to my nurse at least a couple of times per month as i have so many period issues. She is very helpful and clear and gets back to me very quickly. She is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean. I have never called any medical professional this much and I don't get the feeling I am bugging her
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic. The Domar center is an awesome resource and I think it would be helpful to advertise their services particularly the mind body program more prominently. The weakness is that they are so busy it is hard to get appointments to see the doctor.

2019, 8 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Ryley] was decent to me pre-opp but post-off was a bit rushed and rude. When I asked if he was going to freeze any immature eggs, rather than just say yes, he irratablity stated "You didn't go over that with your doctor?" He hadn't remembered our pre-surgery discussion either. Didn't seem to care. When I asked a simple question about how many mature follicles I ended up having going in, he dismissed me and said he didn't count them.
[Boston IVF] Locations are everywhere so it can be convenient. However, the only location open on the weekends is in Waltham, so if you need to go on a weekend, you have to drive there. Has a bit of a factory feel to it, but I was satisfied. Loved the option for acupuncture. All of the women I interacted with were great...The nurses at Boston IVF are excellent...you cannot control the doctor that does your retrieval, only the one that makes your plan. Overall happy with Boston IVF, just not the retreival experience.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
As stated, I don't question his ability in the OR or necessarily his medical decisions. But his bedside manner (poor) makes a huge difference in patient satisfaction. I would not want him doing an egg retrieval on me again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I'm not his patient, he just did my retrieval. I won't have to see him again.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Overheard him being rude to a young woman near me who had eggs retrieved. Spoke to the nurse near her and said "I already told her." The patient (post-opp) who had not been addressed by name had to state that if he had told her, then she had forgotten. It seems reasonable to have to ask for this info twice (and get an answer kindly delivered) if you are coming out anesthesia. He was decent to me pre-opp but post-off was a bit rushed and rude. When I asked if he was going to freeze any immature eggs, rather than just say yes, he irratablity stated "You didn't go over that with your doctor?" He hadn't remembered our pre-surgery discussion either. Didn't seem to care. When I asked a simple question about how many mature follicles I ended up having going in, he dismissed me and said he didn't count them. I was told several times all of my eggs would be frozen right away - then later that day was told only some of them were frozen. The nurses at Boston IVF are excellent and I like my actuall doctor...but the man who did my retrieval needs a little more patience and improved bedside manner. The way you are spoken to during and after surgery can make all of the difference in the world. Unforuntaly, at Boston IVF, you cannot control the doctor that does your retrieval, only the one that makes your plan. Overall happy with Boston IVF, just not the retreival experience.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Primary Nurse )
The nurse I had a day of egg retrieval was phenomenal. She wasn't super knowledgeable about the egg freezing process but did her job as a surgical nurse very well. She was very kind. Very patient. I highly recommend Darlene (although the surgical nurse isn't something you can control). My doctor who coordinated care had a nurse who also always called me back the same day I left a voicemail. Brynna. My only wish is that were were able to communicate throgh messaging as well.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Again, I'm not his patient. He just did the retrieval. Costs were about $12K
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Most of the clinical was wonderful. No one called me back about my genetic testing results for a very long time, so I had to call and find out. Overall it was a fine experience. I just didn't like the Dr. who did my retrieval and how you can have no control whatsoever who the Dr. who does your retrieval will be. It also takes a long time to get a follow up after retrieval to go over results (a couple weeks or so)
David Ryley
Waltham

Dr.Penzias was always incredibly respectful and took his time explaining everything to us. He is very detailed and will share endless reports, graphs, charts, studies with you if you want to hear how he makes his decisions with your care. He has a clear passion for what he does and seems genuinely happy for you when you achieve the family you want.... The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board.
Boston IVF is incredible organized. Each doctor has a full team that follows their patients care. The only difficulty I ever had was dealing with the folks talking with insurance. I had the sense that the REs all communicate and share the most recent studies with each other and that our care was always based on the latest well respected studies.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Feel comfortable questioning his choices as he is a wealth of information and will walk you through it all!
Dr.Penzias treated my husband and I like humans, not a number. We were always greeted by a smile, he always listened to our questions and fought hard for us when insurance thought we were not good candidates for using my own eggs. He never gave up and made sure we knew not to give up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tanner)
Sarah Tanner was incredible. She was upbeat, clear with instructions, greeted us with a hug like we became family and was genuinely thrilled for us when we were able to start our family.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I am incredibly fortunate to live in a state that my healthcare covers much of the expenses of my IVF. I only have minimal copays for the medications and treatments/procedures.
The first two rounds we did single embryo transfers and any remaining never made it to freeze. The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board. I ended up successfully having two beautiful daughters from that cycle and am currently pregnant with one from the one remaining frozen embryo we had from our 3rd cycle.
Waltham

My doctor [Dr. Kuohung] recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach... was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency...I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well... I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr Kuohung struck a really good balance between maintaining a positive outlook while acknowledging the realities we faced. One of the things I appreciated most about Dr Kuohung was her willingness to answer all of my questions thoroughly and patiently. At several points throughout treatment, she helped my partner and I to identify the pros and cons of each option, referred to current research, and clarified her explanations for us when we had trouble grasping some of the scientific concepts that were unfamiliar to us. In deciding how many embryos to transfer, she was able to state her recommendation and rationale clearly, and also able to take into account our feelings about each option. I really appreciated her ability to balance her professional expertise with consideration for our opinions and priorities.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
When I began my IVF treatment, I was not familiar with many of the concepts and terms that need to be discussed. Dr kuohung did a very good job explaining much of this to me in an accessible manner, but I was still left feeling that I wanted a better understanding. Once I learned more of the terms I found it easier to understand our conversations. Having a better understanding of the background medical concepts made me feel more able to be an active agent in my treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr. Kuohung was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
Describe the protocols Wendy Kuohung used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don’t remember the specific stimulation protocol we used but I know we chose it with the assumption that Iould be a poor responder due to my age. I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic was visually pleasant, nurses were friendly and efficient and I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
My treatment for this cycle was covered by insurance.
Describe Wendy Kuohung's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
My doctor recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach
Wendy Kuohung

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Even though I was 40 and had low reserve, was a poor responder he [Dr. Alan Penzias] didn't tell us donor eggs were the only choice. He know how we wanted our own child and he said out what our chances were. He has worked with us to optimize how many eggs we get but my eggs are not fertilizing. He is not encouraging or promoting of alternative therapies or naturopathic treatments to improve quality as he thinks they make minimal impact. But he will approve them and supplaments that I chose to do.
Their [Boston IVF-RSC] strengths are that due to their size you can cycle any time and they do egg retrevial and transfers every day of the year. I also love the Domar Center located at their Waltham location. Acupuncture there is awesome with all practioners and the nutritionist was very helpful too. You do not usually get your doctor for retrevial, but mine came in once special to do just mine or a weekend morning. Billing is frustrating as you never get an actual bill or breakdown, and now we are paying out of pocket so you pay ahead for the whole cycle and get reimbursed if you did not use all of the plan treatments.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Pandas was very responsive to questions and requests, even while traveling He is accessible thru the nurse or via email. He was also flexible with us as far as having conference calls when we couldnt meet at his office due to schedule conflicts. We found him as he came highly rated to us from a Chief of another department Even though I was 40 and had low reserve, was a poor responder he didn't tell us donor eggs were the only choice. He know how we wanted our own child and he said out what our chances were. He has worked with us to optimize how many eggs we get but my eggs are not fertilizing. He is not encouraging or promoting of alternative therapies or naturopathic treatments to improve quality as he thinks they make minimal impact. But he will approve them and supplaments that I chose to do. I always keep him in the loop with what I am taking. He does like the use of acupuncture for transfer. We are looking to do another cycle or two with him at this point and looking at different treatment options. He has also gone to bat for us more than.once with the insurance company.
He is a down to earth person and a straight communicator that relies on data and proven methods. He is not on the cutting edge but it up to date on everything going on out that and looks to reliable data of success before recommending it to patients. He is very professional. Go in with lots of questions and you will come out with solid options to choose from.
He is very fact based but also very personable. He encourages questions and looking at new treatment plans and will discuss it all in detail and give you approx. Success rates of different options.
For my first cycle we did menopure and gonal f with Cetrotide to suppress, and during the cycle my dosing was upped as I was a poor responder. I ended up ovulating thru the Cetrotide is the cycle was candles. My next 2 cycles (the first I did immediately after the fist cycle as some research indicates that works better for older women) we switched to micro Lupton and stuck with the m &g. The first cycle we got 1 mature egg that did not fertalize naturally. I took a cycle off then the next cycle we used the same protocol and got I believe 3 eggs. They did not fertilize with ICSI, for the ones it could be used on. We switched to mini IVF since I was at max doses for stimulating meds but not getting good responses. Used Clomid with a hcg trigger (same as all the others) and got 6 eggs, 5 mature, none fertalize with ICSI. Took another few cycles off and did another mini IVF where I believe we got 3 or 4 eggs, nothing fertalized again. It has been attributed to my poor egg quality at my age, even though they look good at retrevial. Dr.P told me at my age less than maybe 1 in 12 eggs are chromosomaly normal, so it is a numbers game.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Mawn)
Sara is wonderful. Very compassionate and responsive. She was out for a while and we experienced other nursing staff. Most we great! At my first ERA biosposy, I was disappointed in the nursing as the 2 we not very professional, but my second biopsy was the exact opposite. It is a very large clinic so you will have interactions with many staff, but you also have a main point of contact.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their strengths are that due to their size you can cycle any time and they do egg retrevial and transfers every day of the year. I also love the Domar Center located at their Waltham location. Acupuncture there is awesome with all practioners and the nutritionist was very helpful too. You do not usually get your doctor for retrevial, but mine came in once special to do just mine or a weekend morning. Billing is frustrating as you never get an actual bill or breakdown, and now we are paying out of pocket so you pay ahead for the whole cycle and get reimbursed if you did not use all of the plan treatments. You do need to be on top of things as far as your treatment as there is not someone to walk you through the process once you are on treatment or remind you. Follow up is also on you. But nurse communication is great and so was the coordinator.
Our first 4 cycles were covered by insurance, but the PGS testing was not. He did appeal to insurance and got 2 cycles covered that were initially rejected by insurance. Out of pocket IVF was $7750 for the cycle plus 2500 for icsi and 980 for the embryoscoping (which was at our request). PGS was $3300 For 7 to 8 embryos and went up and down from that number For the mini IVF cycle it is $4950 and that includes ICSI but not PGS testing.
We haven't gotten to that point, but we originally talked about doing only FET transfers of PGS tested embryos and at my age, 1 or 2 at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My first Clomid challenge cycle i was not called with my results, which required a retest on another cycle, which ended up delaying the start of my treatment 3 months.
Waltham
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles...he had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
Diagnostic testing [at Boston IVF] that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs)... I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring...it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Penzias seemed to be very knowledgeable and had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
For the first 75% of my cycle I was under the care of a rotating stream of nurses. I would get monitoring result and other related calls from a different person each day, and they were not always on the same page. Some of the nurses were very nice and some were curt. I'm not sure if this was sorted out and they now have 1 dedicated nurse for Dr Penzias, but the rotating care was frustrating since i had to re-explain a concern or re-ask a question constantly to different people.
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles (he gave us the choice of IUI vs just timed relations each month - we did the latter due to our travel schedule) before we moved on to IVF. I was on standard Gonal F, ovidril, cetratide prior to egg retrieval and then progesterone in oil prior to embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
The latter reviews for primary nurse are specifically for Sara and Ashley. In the first portion of my time with Dr Penzias I was treated by a rotating schedule of nurses which was frustrating. But when Sara was working she was very attentive, compassionate, super responsive and helpful and then when Ashley took over she was also amazing.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Even though Boston IVF Waltham is a large center, it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there. If you can look past these administrative issues, I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring.
Our insurance ended up covering our IVF cycle, but we were quoted about 15k for the cycle. Diagnostic testing that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs).
Waltham

We saw Carla [DiGirolamo] for a second opinion after we had 4 failed IVF ICSI treatments with our first doctor. She was completely upfront with us from the moment we walked in the door. She explained that with our male factor issue that the best possible way to have a baby was to do the out of pocket PGS testing....She chose to put me on 2mg of estrace and baby aspirin daily leading up to my retreival. I was also on crinone afterwards. I dont recall my trigger shot. My egg was frozen for PGS testing and we transferred the one good egg about a month after the tests came back.
The nice thing about the Westborough office [Boston IVF] is how small it is. There isn't a lot of people there in the AM for blood or ultrasound and this make the wait shorter. It feels a little less like a doctors office.... Everyone I worked with was excellent. After years of treatments, my veins were weak and they always had trouble getting one, but we worked through it together. They were gentle and always made sure I was doing okay.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
We saw Carla for a second opinion after we had 4 failed IVF ICSI treatments with our first doctor. She was completely upfront with us from the moment we walked in the door. She explained that with our male factor issue that the best possible way to have a baby was to do the out of pocket PGS testing. We agreed and we finally have our miracle baby! Carla was amazing, she explained everything to us and answered every question we had along the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Ask all the questions you want to know, she will be honest and explain them to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She was honest with us and made us feel like we were there to create a human life and not just a patient of hers. She was kind, and always happy to see us, especially when she told us the results of our PGS results.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The nice thing about the Westborough office is how small it is. There isn't a lot of people there in the AM for blood or ultrasound and this make the wait shorter. It feels a little less like a doctors office.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
As stated in a previous response, monitoring was easy here. The clinic is small so the wait was usually short. The nurses were kind and never seemed to feel rushed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
We were lucky enough to have insurance pay for most of our treatments. So I don't recall the numbers.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We didn't have a choice. I only had one egg survive.
Carla DiGirolamo
Waltham

He [Dr. Penzias] really took the time to explain every part of our care....He showed us a power point with different statistics concerning sub fertility and seeing it on the screen really helped me understand the process....During our consultation he knew we had done 4 rounds of clomid without any pregnancies, so he suggested we try Letrozole for one month and then an IUI....He was also available for phone consultations which were really helpful.
The only frustrating part about the clinics [Boston IVF] were the locations....at times for treatment, I actually would have to travel to Albany (over 3 hours from my house) to do the procedures. I worked with MIchelle primarily....She always called me back same day and was really good with answering all my questions.... I also really liked that my clinic had a portal where all my information was stored. That made it easy to upload blood work orders, instructions for injections, etc.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
As a patient there were times where his eagerness definitely encouraged me. He listened to me when I told him I had a really hard time being on Clomid and he suggested Letrozole. When I started Letrozole he was very interested and concerned about how I was doing on that (I did very well on it). He explained to me why he thought Letrozole was a better fit for me than Clomid and that helped me a lot. He also explained why I wasn't ovulating every month and did a really good job going through the idea of sub fertility (people who are experiencing infertility with a diagnosis). At times I felt frustrated by our lack of diagnosis, but because he spent so much time explaining that we were not infertile but sub fertile, it made me feel much better.
Ask questions. Any questions. He can answer them!
He really took the time to explain every part of our care. He even met with us in between treatments to talk about next steps if our IUI did not work. He showed us a power point with different statistics concerning sub fertility and seeing it on the screen really helped me understand the process. Had he just spoken to us with no visuals, I would have had a really hard time following along. He was also available for phone consultations which were really helpful.
During our consultation he knew we had done 4 rounds of clomid without any pregnancies, so he suggested we try Letrozole for one month and then an IUI. I was very fortunate that my IUI worked on the first round. I have no idea if it was the Letrozole that helped more or the IUI. For my second pregnancy, I want to try going on Letrozole for a month with intercourse to see if that works.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
I worked with MIchelle primarily. She was the person I spoke with the most. She always called me back same day and was really good with answering all my questions. She was good with giving me all the information that I would need, but not overwhelming me either. I also really liked that my clinic had a portal where all my information was stored. That made it easy to upload blood work orders, instructions for injections, etc.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only frustrating part about the clinics were the locations. I went to the Boston IVF Center in Syracuse initially but the clinic doesn't have their own location (they share a building with Upstate Medical Center). Often times my doctor wasn't available to meet in Syracuse (because he was actually based in Massachusetts!) and so at times for treatment, I actually would have to travel to Albany (over 3 hours from my house) to do the procedures. When I initially contacted Boston IVF- Syracuse, I thought everything would be done in Syracuse. However, if I wasn't willing to drive to Albany, my care would have been delayed. So we made the sacrifice and traveled to Albany.
Our insurance covered mostly everything (we have amazing insurance). But I do remember looking at the EOB and between blood tests, genetic testing, prescription, the sample collection, and the IUI- we were close to $5,000. We only paid deductibles in the range of $20-40.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My husband had to drive to Albany for a genetic test and when he arrived the nurse didn't take blood for the genetic test. She took blood for a different test (the wrong one). Our primary nurse was really nice about it and felt terrible that he drove over 6 hours that day (since Albany is 3 hours from our house) and to make it right they sent him a genetic spit test.
Waltham

Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider.... I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff...Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus.
[Boston IVF] Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning...Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: . Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider. I do not feel as though the IVF treatment was tailored to my husband and I's specific fertility challenges. I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff. We had a Day 3 fresh transfer in round 2 without prior understanding of this strategy being utilized. The Day 3 fresh transfer felt like a financial decision to ensure complete billing of the cycle rather than a decision that would result in a successful pregnancy.
Consider a second opinion.
During my cycles I only had contact with the nursing staff, despite a change protocols the drugs ordered were incorrect, we did a day 3 embryo transfer on cycle 2 despite prior poor embryo survival in the first round.
Bicornuate uterus requiring single embryo transfer. Cycle 1 started on 06-Jul-2017: OCP/Antagonist - birth control, 375 Gonal F + 75 Menopur, cetrotide, ovidrel. Crinone vaginal progesterone. Resulted in retrieval of 9 eggs, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 3 embryos made it to Day 3, 2 embryos made it to Day 5. Fresh transfer of 1 embryo at Day 5. Acupuncture twice after embryo transfer. Remaining embryo did not survive for freezing. Menstruation occurred 4-5 days after transfer. Negative pregnancy test. Cycle 2 started on 08-Oct-2017: OCP/Microdose Lupron - birth control, microdose Lupron 10 IU (am & pm), 475 IU Gonal F, 75 IU menopur, Ovidrel. Resulted in retrieval of 12 eggs (10 mature). Intramuscular progesterone injections twice a day. Two eggs fertilized (ICSI) with fresh transfer at Day 3 of one embryo. Second embryo was necrotic at Day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Merchant)
After completing the birth control for cycle 1 the nurse informed me that we would not be abel to proceed with the cycle because my husband had not completed the Counsyl screening. At no point had this testing been communicated as a contingency for proceeding with the cycle. I asked to speak with the Dr. Penzias but received a call from the nursing manager explaining that Amanda had mistakenly not given me the correct information regarding the completion of the Counsyl testing being a requirement. The nursing manager gave me the option to either waive my husband's testing or to have the testing done as soon as possible while the IVF cycle continued. After my embryo transfer I was not told to schedule a follow-up visit with Dr. Penzias which resulted in my not being able to proceed to the next cycle until an additional month had passed. Before cycle 2 I shared my concerns with Dr. Penzias that Amanda seemed to be disorganized and the communication was not ideal. I met with Amanda to discuss the next cycle and I asked her whether I was able to combine the drugs for the second cycle and if it was possible for me to utilize any drugs I had left over from the previous cycle. Amanda indicated that she did not know and referred me to the pharmacy. The pharmacy stated that my clinic should provide a response about mixing of medications. The second cycle started with my receiving Cetrotide despite this medication being removed from my protocol. It was confirmed that the error was in the orders coming from Dr. Penzias' office. For both cycles I was given the incorrect time for my embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning which is convenient for testing before work. Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: You never see the same surgeon or embryologist. Contact with your doctor is extremely limited. Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
$1200 for the first cycle including preliminary testing. I have not yet been billed for the second cycle.
Utilized single embryo transfer due to bicornuate uterus making multiple pregnancy a risk to my health.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus. For both cycles I was given the incorrect appointment time for my embryo transfer. The first time I was told to arrive at 7:30 but the appointment wasn't until 9 am. The second time I was told to arrive at 8:30 but the appointment wasn't scheduled until 10:45. I received the inappropriate medications for cycle 2. For cycle 2 I was not given my pregnancy test results until almost 5 days after the test.

2017, Unknown Success
Dr Thornton explained the process thoroughly using language that I could understand. She even drew pictures which made it easy to understand a complicated process. She also was very direct and didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, she told me what I needed to hear. Since I am 43, nothing is a guarantee...They [team at Boston IVF] were sensitive to my situation and didn't treat me like the "next patient"...
They [Boston IVF] were sensitive to my situation and didn't treat me like the "next patient"...You will be making blood work appointments with set times, but there's a sign in sheer too. So if you need to get in and out, it's best to get there early and sign up first for your time slot. A strength they have is their phlebotomists.... they are absolutely wonderful for people who have anxieties about needles.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Don't go in with the expectation you absolutely will be able to get pregnant, there are tests to be done to see if you're a candidate or not
They were sensitive to my situation and didn't treat me like the "next patient"
I had to take the pill for two weeks to jump start the ovaries. Then once I got mt period, I started gonal f, HCG, cetrotide, and ovidrel. I needed to get my ovaries ready for egg retrieval. The meds made me feel tired, bloated, and a little nauseous. My ovaries were get getting enlarged. I get blood work and an ultrasound tomorrow to figure out the next round of injections.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
They are all great. From the front desk to the phlebotomist, to the nurses. They're sympathetic to how your feeling and speak in a very ca manor. They call and follow up with the information as they get it.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
You will be making blood work appointments with set times, but there's a sign in sheer too. So if you need to get in and out, it's best to get there early and sign up first for your time slot. A strength they have is their phlebotomists.... they are absolutely wonderful for people who have anxieties about needles. I hate them and they made it the most pleasant blood draw I've ever had
My appts are covered by my insurance . Normal dr appt were 25$.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My husband had blood work done and the nurse requested specific tests done. But one of the tests weren't performed so he had to get a second blood draw. They didn't explain why the test was missed

2017, Unknown Success
Dr Thornton has a great ability to explain complicated processes. I know the general gist of what happens but she literally drew out a map of the process. I know it's more complicated but it made it easier for me to follow ans understand. And she tells us like it is. She didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, she told me what I needed to hear...I just started. So the only protocols I started was first with the birth control pill. This is to "jump start" my ovaries. Once I get a period after stopping the pill, I'll get a blood test the next day and then I'll start the injections. The lady I spoke with about the injections was super helpful and figured out a way that I could do one injection a night with all the medication instead of 3 injections! Very helpful, I'm not a fan of needles.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be ready to hear the real facts if you're in the grey area of becomming pregnant. She doesn't hide reality.
Dr Thornton didn't hide any realities from me because of my age. She told me things I needed to know and not pretend that it's garauntee that I'll become pregnant. And her staff are the nicest, warm, caring people. It's tough to go through this and everyone there treats you like a person, definitely not a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
She treated me with respect. Her and her team has a motherly, caring aspect about them which made me feel comfortable given what I'll be going through shortly. Just a great team to work with, all the way to the ultrasound team and the phlebotomists, they are fabulously talented and kept me calm at all times
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
While you may have an appt time for blood work, there's still a sign in sheet and you get taken in by the list. So If you need to get out of your appt quickly, it's good to get there a little earlier than your appt.
My health insurance covered a good portion of appointments. I'm not sure if the cost yet going forward. Waltham is a certified wellness center and I get and extra 10k$ towards my lifetime IVF coverage
Waltham IVF only does single egg transfers. This reduces the risk of injury to the mother and babies should Multi births happen. This is fine by me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The only thing that happened and not sure where the error occurred, but tests were ordered as part of my husbands blood work and when they got the results, one of the tests didn't happen. The nurse said she wrote it down and couldn't explain why it wasn't done.

2013 - 2017, Unknown Success
Although he [Dr. Brian Berger] wasn't the most assessable person comma when I did schedule appointments, whether by phone or in person, he took an incredible amount of time to answer my questions in detail. One of the things I loved about him is his bedside manner. The compassion he showed always put me at ease no matter what I was asking or the difficulty of the explanation. I wish I could say the same for his staff which I thought should be completely replaced they're so bad! This mainly applies to the extended staff at the Waltham Clinic. Other than the lab staff, and the wonderful woman at the front desk, the rest really didn't have a clue about my treatment plan and consistently gave me wrong directions. I had to take my treatment and my knowledge of the process sees into my own hands time and time again.
After I had arranged for a known donor for sperm, Sharon [at Boston IVF] left me a terrible message that broke my heart. I played the message 5 times because it was so confusing. She told me that my donor was approved and that we could move forward with the process. Then in the second breath, she said that the donor was not approved by the FDA because he's gay and lives in a European country where they have mad cow disease. So I wasn't sure what to think and was panicked because I had just flown this man over and paid for all of his testing. I felt like the information she shared with me should have been provided in advance of all of the expenditures. When I called her to ask for an explanation, it was inadequate and she didn't understand in the least what a confusing and upsetting situation she created. I immediately asked her to be removed from my care team.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
By all means, Dr. Brian Berger is one of the leading infertility practitioners out there. I was thrilled that he took on my complicated case as a single woman who went through early menopause and would need to use both donor egg and donor sperm in order to have a child. Although he wasn't the most assessable person comma when I did schedule appointments, whether by phone or in person, he took an incredible amount of time to answer my questions in detail. One of the things I loved about him is his bedside manner. The compassion he showed always put me at ease no matter what I was asking or the difficulty of the explanation. I wish I could say the same for his staff which I thought should be completely replaced they're so bad! This mainly applies to the extended staff at the Waltham Clinic. Other than the lab staff, and the wonderful woman at the front desk, the rest really didn't have a clue about my treatment plan and consistently gave me wrong directions. I had to take my treatment and my knowledge of the process sees into my own hands time and time again.
Be prepared to spend more than you budgeted! Boston IVF is terrible at giving accurate numbers on ehat you'll spend and I am now double what I had budgeted. But with 9 frozen, high quality embryos, I have to keep going.
I can't count how many times the nursing staff and donor staff gave me inaccurate directions based on premenopausal women. Things like "let us know when your next period is" so we can move to the next step in the process, when I haven't had a period in over 4 years. It made it feel incredibly impersonal.
After many rounds of IUI with another doctor, I went through early menopause and needed to consider other options. From the first time I met with Dr. Berger, he laid out the options and consistently worked with me to choose the best one for my situation. My diagnosis with pre ovarian failure and donor egg donor sperm with a fresh transfer is what we did the first time around. I have nine Frozen embryos and dr. Berger will be doing my next transfer next week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
After I had arranged for a known donor for sperm, Sharon left me a terrible message that broke my heart. I played the message 5 times because it was so confusing. She told me that my donor was approved and that we could move forward with the process. Then in the second breath, she said that the donor was not approved by the FDA because he's gay and lives in a European country where they have mad cow disease. So I wasn't sure what to think and was panicked because I had just flown this man over and paid for all of his testing. I felt like the information she shared with me should have been provided in advance of all of the expenditures. When I called her to ask for an explanation, it was inadequate and she didn't understand in the least what a confusing and upsetting situation she created. I immediately asked her to be removed from my care team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Most of my testing was done at Waltham IVF. For the most part, the testing is readily available and at convenient times. All blood tests are done in the morning and unfortunately, the clinic is located in a place where rush hour traffic impacts the ability to get there on any weekday. Not only did I have to go in every 3 days for pregnancy tests, but when my pregnancy didn't work out I had to keep going back for HCG tests. So every morning this took hours out of my day. I finally asked if there was any way that I could get a simple blood test at my local doctors office or anywhere else. Again, I had to manage my own care and ask to use Quest Diagnostics for my blood test. It ended up that there is an office one block from my house and I could have saved so much time by going there in the first place. Another time, I was told by my donor coordinator to "come in for labs." So when I got there and signed in, I wasn't sure which box to check for testing. I wasn't sure if it was blood, ultrasound, ETC. So every time somebody came out and saw my name on the list with no check box, they ignored me. I sat there for an hour with no one checking the records to see what kind of test I needed. It was woefully inadequate and completely unprofessional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
When I made the decision to move ahead with treatment, I told Dr. Berger that my goals were to spend $25,000 and to attempt the process three to four times. At this point, it has cost me twice as much and I've only gone through a fresh transfer one time with a pending frozen transfer scheduled for next week. No one at the clinic seem to be able to give me an accurate breakdown of costs at any point during my treatment even though I asked for it. And the information they provided was not laid out in a sensible way and did not take into consideration unique circumstances. My donor egg process was the part that was so much more expensive than I ever could have imagined. Boston IVF never gave me a realistic expectation of this additional cost .
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
As a single woman, the clinic I highly encourage me to only transfer one at a time for "social" reasons. They actually asked me what I would do with two children! It was offensive. In addition, when I asked about increased chances of having one child by transferring two embryos, they couldn't give me any statistics. This may be true of any doctor and not just Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I've already mentioned the impersonal care and specific mistakes I felt like the clinic made. One of my biggest issues is that I never knew who was in charge of my care and which office to call. One time I got transferred 4 times back and forth between Waltham and South Shore. It was incredibly frustrating. Also, no one could give me an explanation about what to expect for my HCG numbers to reset to normal. I found the staff to be very limited in their knowledge, or if not limited in their knowledge, Limited in their willingness to explain the situation with any depth. Just know that you are going to have to really take control of your own care if you go to Boston IVF. Every interaction I had with dr. Berger was amazing, but love the majority of interactions I had with his staff were unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, my fertility acupuncturist tells me that this is the case with all of the clinics in the Boston area. Very poor customer service for the high price of treatment.
2015 - 2017, Successful
After an attempted IUI that was cancelled day of (husband’s sample had no sperm after multiple positive semenalysis) he [Dr. Penzias] looked at us and said “this is what we do. We will be successful and you will have a baby. You deserve a baby.” It just helped let go of so much anxiety and give us the strength to move forward...He was kind and warm and so knowledgeable. We felt comfortable every step of the way. Dr. Penzias really knew what to do each step and with each misstep, knew how to change and divert and redirect our focus to keep us positive. He was truly wonderful and is a clearly intelligent and talented physician.
The retrieval [at Boston IVF] went smoothly and we still have samples left from that. Because we were male based infertility, my body responded to the hormones quickly and well. The egg retrieval process was a little scary for me as I’ve never had surgery previously but the staff was great and comforting. The day or our embryo transfer was smooth as well and we were lucky to have a positive result on our first cycle!
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
I can’t imagine having a better doctor and guide through this process. He was kind and warm and so knowledgeable. We felt comfortable every step of the way. Dr. Penzias really knew what to do each step and with each misstep, knew how to change and divert and redirect our focus to keep us positive. He was truly wonderful and is a clearly intelligent and talented physician.
Trust in him. Trust that he has your goals in mind and is working for them as hard as you are.
After an attempted IUI that was cancelled day of (husband’s sample had no sperm after multiple positive semenalysis) he looked at us and said “this is what we do. We will be successful and you will have a baby. You deserve a baby.” It just helped let go of so much anxiety and give us the strength to move forward
We needed full IVF treatment with semen retrieval. The retrieval went smoothly and we still have samples left from that. Because we were male based infertility, my body responded to the hormones quickly and well. The egg retrieval process was a little scary for me as I’ve never had surgery previously but the staff was great and comforting. The day or our embryo transfer was smooth as well and we were lucky to have a positive result on our first cycle!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Sarah was super responsive. We never waited long for answers if we called- even with little things. She was so kind and helpful and we were both glad she was a part of our team!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only weakness we found was a sometimes lack of communication from some of the billing staff. But for the most part, all team members from the greeter to the office staff, nurses, OR care teams, and most of even the billing staff were kind and understanding and lovely to deal with.
Our insurance covered a good portion but we still had to cover a lot on our own.
Our dr suggested only using one embryo on the first cycle. Our health led him to believe it would be successful and we trusted him. Very glad we did!
Waltham
I was really impressed w/ the clinic [Boston IVF] overall. This is all they do and they are clearly expert...Dr Sneeringer was aggressive (which is what I was looking for) and yet remained completely approachable throughout the process. She took time to answer all of my questions and made sure we were comfortable with what we were doing and why...I came to see Dr. Sneeringer after 3 cycles w/ another practice. She diagnosed the issue right away (my eggs weren't maturing) and devised a plan to fix this issue by increasing my medicated cycle. Perhaps it was a fresh pair of eyes, but the results for #4, the cycle w/ Dr. Sneeringer, were by far better than the previous 3. I had 2 embryos implanted and both took and we save a 3rd embryo in cryo. The results were fantastic.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was clearly smart and experienced - she demonstrated that she was keeping up on treatment evolutions and clearly had spent time reviewing my history. She was also highly approachable and warm, which was a great combination for me personally. I was able to get all of my questions answered, which gave me confidence, and still felt like a person, which made it bearable.
Set up an appointment. Dr. Sneeringer was great and I wish I had found her when I first started!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
While you pick a practice for your physician, you end up interacting w/ the nurse much more frequently. Meg was patient and on top of it - I'd choose her again
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I was really impressed w/ the clinic overall. This is all they do and they are clearly expert.
Dr. Sneeringer explained the risks and potential outcomes and ultimately let me make the choice.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
We were informed by Dr. Zimon that our chances would not improve if we were to transfer more than one egg. We were better off freezing the left overs to do frozen cycles...She had great ‘bed side manner.’...Dr. Zimon has NEVER mentioned she thought we had an egg issue. We had gone through SIX of our insurance covered IVF rounds at this point without knowing about this supposed egg issue.
The nurses team [at Boston IVF] is their biggest strength in my opinion! Not being able to call the clinic if you are stuck in traffic and going to be late for your 7am transfer because it is only a call service is a downfall...Not being informed I had an egg quality issue was a big issue. However, I feel that is solely on Dr. Zimon...All was covered under our insurance except for acupuncture that was suggested.
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
We felt very comfortable with Dr. Zimon. We thought she was the best choice for our fertility needs! Until she quit the practice without notice one day before our sixth round of IVF started. We went with the flow and wished the best for her. Clearly she found greener pastures and we were happy for her. We were disappointed in not being informed by her and given a course of action for our next steps, but again trying to keep positive thoughts... After our sixth round failed, the doctor who we got swapped to told us they understood now why are. Zimon has told us we had an egg issue. However, Dr. Zimon has NEVER mentioned she thought we had an egg issue. We had gone through SIX of our insurance covered IVF rounds at this point without knowing about this supposed egg issue. Unfortunately, we did not walk away with a child and if we had known we had an egg issue, maybe we would have made a few different choices. Was Dr. Zimon great and nice? Absolutely!! But we trusted her to tell us everything to make sure we walked away with a baby. That did not happen and now we question absolutely everything that is said to us and unfortunately have no more covered treatments and are forced to pay completely out of pocket if we wish to go forward with egg donation. Which wells never even a thought since we had no idea it should be.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Ask questions and for second opinions!!!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
She had great ‘bed side manner.’ We felt very comfortable with her and the way she spoke with us. We always felt like she was telling us what was in our best interests and what would be the best results for a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
AMAZING!! The nurses at Boston IVF were the reason we continued with the clinic after Dr. Zimon left. There were the reason we drove, sometimes, over two hours for testing. They make Boston IVF!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The nurses team is their biggest strength in my opinion! Not being able to call the clinic if you are stuck in traffic and going to be late for your 7am transfer because it is only a call service is a downfall.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
All was covered under our insurance except for acupuncture that was suggested.
Describe Alison Zimon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Alison Zimon

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr Alper was very compassionate and knowledgeable with the process. He was very kind and explained the process thoroughly. He also went above and beyond with testing during our recurrent losses. He is very busy and clearly has a heavy case load, which made us feel like just a number rather than a personal experience. This was a downside.
For one of the IUIs [at Boston IVF], I had triggered and we were scheduled to go in for the semen drop off/ IUI. Timing is crucial, and when my husband showed up to drop off his sample, no one was there (we were at the Worcester office). We called many times, but it was before hours and couldn’t get ahold of anyone. This office is shared with an ultrasound so they fortunately had a number to call. We were over 2 hours past the “go time” for the IUI. They redeemed themselves by showing the actual sample and that it hadn’t effected anything. This left us feeling like they didn’t care or could not be trusted.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
If you are looking to feel like he genuinely knows your case, this is not the doctor for you. He is a great doctor, but doesn’t know he patients well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr Alper clearly has a stellar reputation and sees many patients. He is also the coowner of BIVF, and goes to several of their locations. Because of this, we felt he didn’t know our case in detail. While sitting with him in the office, he would refer back to the computer with our information even on basic Information. I would have appreciated him studying up even briefly, prior to meeting with us. This is what made us feel like just another patient.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We knew, due to bloodwork, my amh level was low. Due to this we started at a higher gonalF level right from the beginning. Midcycle, he noticed I still wasn’t respond the way he wanted and upped the dosage. I liked that he made this adjustment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kristen)
Again, due to the size of this clinic there are many people handling your case. Some of the time, we heard from the primary nurse, however it was hearing from different people that we found challenegjng because they again didn’t know the fine details of our specific case. We had to explain and re-explain ourselves often.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Being a large clinic has its strengths and weaknesses. They have a high success rate, have incredibly high standards, and have many resources available. The staff we worked with unfortunately did not take the time to know our case thoroughly, in our opinion due to their high volume, leaving us feeling like we were just a number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
Fortunately most of our treatments (and medications) were covered by my insurance.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He is pretty firm on transferring one embryo at a time, even into your 30s. He stated several times that multiple embryo transfer on increases your chance of twins, not a pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
For one of the IUIs, I had triggered and we were scheduled to go in for the semen drop off/ IUI. Timing is crucial, and when my husband showed up to drop off his sample, no one was there (we were at the Worcester office). We called many times, but it was before hours and couldn’t get ahold of anyone. This office is shared with an ultrasound so they fortunately had a number to call. We were over 2 hours past the “go time” for the IUI. They redeemed themselves by showing the actual sample and that it hadn’t effected anything. This left us feeling like they didn’t care or could not be trusted.
Michael Alper

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I had a positive experience with Dr. Sneeringer. I felt she listened and gave thorough explanations for both procedures and the reasoning behind it. She was compassionate and supportive. Ultimately though, I interacted with her nurses on a more daily basis. I would see Dr. Sneeringer to follow up and go over results, but my day to day treatment (injections, monitoring, etc) were done by the support staff... I wasn't getting (or perhaps just wasn't understanding) the information about the protocols.
The people at the clinic [Boston IVF], because they do this every day, would talk about procedures or results like I should already know what they were talking about. A lot of times, though, I didn't, which was very frustrating...I was not crazy about my experience with [Nurse] Carol. I felt she was very scattered and rushed, and I never really understood what was coming next. I asked a lot of questions and I started to feel like she thought I was taking up too much of her time.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
To really make sure that you are comfortable with the support staff, since that's who you'll be interacting with on a regular basis.
The first cycle was the hardest, because I felt like I didn't understand exactly what was going on. The people at the clinic, because they do this every day, would talk about procedures or results like I should already know what they were talking about. A lot of times, though, I didn't, which was very frustrating.
Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics of my protocols. I went through one IUI and three unsuccessful cycles of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: They were two- Meg and Carol)
I was not crazy about my experience with Carol. I felt she was very scattered and rushed, and I never really understood what was coming next. I asked a lot of questions and I started to feel like she thought I was taking up too much of her time. I do want to add that those feelings were from my first cycle, which was all new and very overwhelming. I did two more cycles after that and had a much better experience with her. I don't know if that was because she improved or because I already had a basic idea of what to expect, or both.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The front desk staff are great, as are the phlebotomists and the ultrasound techs- these are the people that you see on a regular basis. The hours of the clinic were good- during the monitoring period I could have my blood and ultrasounds done starting at 6am so I didn't have to miss work, which was VERY helpful.
I was very fortunate that our insurance covered almost everything but the genetic testing, which I believe was around $2000.
We chose to transfer one embryo at a time, as my husband was terrified of multiples. Our egg harvesting was not great, so after genetic testing we generally only had one viable embryo anyway.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Nothing specific- it was mainly feeling like I wasn't getting (or perhaps just wasn't understanding) the information about the protocols.