Merle Berger

Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Murphy is exceptionally empathetic and extremely knowledgeable. She answers all our statistical questions thoroughly...she offered her recommendations on next steps but created plenty of space for us to talk through possible alternative options. Even when I wasn't able to speak to her directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication...Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly...
Multiple locations of the clinic [Boston IVF] was great. The operations were pretty fluid. Sometimes it was difficult to get the time for an appointment I needed. But most of the time it worked out....They [nurses] always called back within the same day...Even when I wasn't able to speak to her [Dr. Murphy] directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication. I never needed to repeat myself to an RN. Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy is exceptionally empathetic and extremely knowledgeable. She answers all our statistical questions thoroughly. She addressed our anxieties thoughtfully. And she offered her recommendations on next steps but created plenty of space for us to talk through possible alternative options. Even when I wasn't able to speak to her directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication. I never needed to repeat myself to an RN. Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly. It always felt like she was rooting for us. She even called us at the end of her workday on a Friday evening after we miscarried to just talk to us and say sorry for the loss. It was unexpected and really heartwarming. It emphasized to us how she was our advocate and cheerleader in addition to being our doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Ask for what you need. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Even if she's not there doing a procedure, she's always aware of her patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy always took the time to answer every single question I had even if it was for a possible future procedure we may end up not doing. She balanced giving us the clinical best practice alongside the mental health implications as well as took consideration to the financial piece. The biggest part though was how she addressed my husband equally. She honored both our needs throughout the process.
Describe the protocols Lauren Murphy used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
5 rounds of IUI, some unmedicated, some medicated. One full IVF round including a retrieval with all the related medication. Then 2 rounds of IVF natural cycles with trigger shot. One was a single embryo transfer and the second two embryos. Then a third double embryo transfer with full medication. Prior to the third IVF transfer, we did an endometrio biopsy and mock transfer cycle for additional tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda, Hope, Jackie)
They always called back within the same day.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Multiple locations of the clinic was great. The operations were pretty fluid. Sometimes it was difficult to get the time for an appointment I needed. But most of the time it worked out.
Describe Lauren Murphy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We initially transferred one embryo, and then she was comfortable starting to transfer two embryos after that. The reasons felt clear primarily because we had been in this process for 2.5 years at that point.

2020 - 2022, Successful
I saw Dr. Luzzo for a second opinion after 4 failed FET cycles. She not only took a fresh careful approach to my diagnosis of unexplained secondary infertility, but was very thorough and knowledgeable about my medical history. She offered up options, answered all my questions, and was really personable....In my case, she recommended single embryo transfer, given tested embryos and other heath factors. We discussed a plan to consider multiple embryo transfers in the future if this next cycle is not successful.
Wonderfully organized and prompt communication. Really great clinicians, but the whole team [at Boston IVF] has been just excellent...My primary nurses have been Wendy and Liz- excellent and prompt communicators. They have been so compassionate- especially during my miscarriage, but also so helpful with the clinical and logistic aspects of each of my cycle...Dr. Luzzo is really personable and an excellent clinician.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Go see her as soon as you can! She is an excellent combination of clinical expertise and personable care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Luzzo is really personable and an excellent clinician. She remembered details about my (many) cycles and offered information and presented options in an understandable way, answering all my questions and making me part of the decision making process.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We started with a hysteroscopy, then an egg retrieval and PGT testing. Then proceeded with natural FET cycle and, although I had a miscarriage, I actually got pregnant, which was a first after 4 prior FET cycles and 3 IUIs!! We regrouped with a repeat hysteroscopy as it had been more than a year, removed some cerbical stenosis and completed a natural mock cycle with endometrial biopsy. Now I’m about to start a natural cycle for an embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy and Liz)
My primary nurses have been Wendy and Liz- excellent and prompt communicators. They have been so compassionate- especially during my miscarriage, but also so helpful with the clinical and logistic aspects of each of my cycles. They have patiently and empathetically answered all my questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Wonderfully organized and prompt communication. Really great clinicians, but the whole team has been just excellent! Everyone I have talked with or emailed has been helpful, kind, and informative. They have always been so patient with all my questions, even when I felt silly asking them!! So professional, but I never felt rushed or ignored.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
My insurance has given me pretty good coverage overall. Main costs included PGT testing, which wasn’t covered by my insurance. They communicated clearly upfront costs associated with this and called along the way if there were different options to choose from, such as when we were deciding how many of our embryos to send for PGT testing.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
She fully discussed pros and cons of both choices fully with me. In my case, she recommended single embryo transfer, given tested embryos and other heath factors. We discussed a plan to consider multiple embryo transfers in the future if this next cycle is not successful.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
She’s [Dr. Thornton is] a good listener and answered questions in detail and has a kind demeanor. She also took interest in my life outside treatment so I didn’t feel like just a number. It was important for me to have a black female doctor and I felt I could more easily talk about racial concerns...She recommended COQ10 in addition to the prenatal vitamin I was already taking...
It’s almost impossible to get someone to answer a call directly [at Boston IVF]. It tends to go to voicemail with a long message about their callback policy that you can’t skip. During the treatment cycle they were very responsive and and warm. Missing a call created anxiety especially before I started a treatment cycle, because I’d have to leave a message again...Communications had sort of a factory feel. Before scheduling my initial consult I wished someone could have laid out potential future appointments and blood/ultrasound monitoring during egg retrieval...
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She’s a good listener and answered questions in detail and has a kind demeanor. She also took interest in my life outside treatment so I didn’t feel like just a number. It was important for me to have a black female doctor and I felt I could more easily talk about racial concerns.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Don’t delay in scheduling since her calendar books quickly, and be persistent about getting an earlier appointment/ask to get put on the waitlist and follow up
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She listened to my concerns and answered my questions and also expressed interest in personal details outside the treatment.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
She recommended COQ10 in addition to the prenatal vitamin I was already taking. I injected meds to increase my follicles and eggs and had frequent monitoring to time my retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
It’s almost impossible to get someone to answer a call directly. It tends to go to voicemail with a long message about their callback policy that you can’t skip. During the treatment cycle they were very responsive and and warm. Missing a call created anxiety especially before I started a treatment cycle, because I’d have to leave a message again
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Provide an easier way for patients to get in touch and get questions answered sooner. Communications had sort of a factory feel. Before scheduling my initial consult I wished someone could have laid out potential future appointments and blood/ultrasound monitoring during egg retrieval. I would have potentially opted for a closer clinic had I known that
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered everything except embryo genetic testing. I’m still not sure if donor sperm is covered
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We discussed potentially transferring more than one embryo due to my age.
Kim L. Thornton

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Penzias was clearly knowledgeable and explained things thoroughly. He is very friendly and cut to the chase regarding my age and chances of conception with my own eggs, but didn't imply that it "wasn't worth the time." I just felt like I wasn't always given enough time to ask questions or inquire about alternate conception methods...Based on my baseline hormone levels and age, a high dose of Gonal-F and Menopur were used to obtain the maximum number of eggs.
Appointments [at Boston IVF] were easy to make and super efficient. The ultrasounds techs and phlebotomists were very kind and friendly. As an aside, the patient portal went unnoticed for a long time, and I wasn't informed that almost all results would be reported there!..I felt like the care provided was adequate, but consults were often rushed, and I didn't feel encouraged to ask questions.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
List questions and make sure they are addressed at consult.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Based on my baseline hormone levels and age, a high dose of Gonal-F and Menopur were used to obtain the maximum number of eggs. Ultrasounds and bloodwork was done throughout cycle, but no adjustments were made as I responded well to stimulation meds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Masciovecchio)
Mostly communicated via email, they were responsive, and understanding of an anxious, woman TTC at an older age ;)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Appointments were easy to make and super efficient. The ultrasounds techs and phlebotomists were very kind and friendly. As an aside, the patient portal went unnoticed for a long time, and I wasn't informed that almost all results would be reported there!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered everything except PGT-A testing, about $3900/cycle.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Once I received PGT-A results, it was clear they were ready several days before I was informed.

2018 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Rita has taken her time during consultations to answer my questions and give me medical advice. She has been kind and understanding trying her best to help me achieve pregnancy...I am working with a gestational carrier, she was very good at carefully screening my carrier...One embryo transfer was highly recommended but two embryos was not denied for us.
[Boston IVF] Strength: communication, promptness, and thoroughness of their screenings. Both nurses and the doctor are very kind, compassionate and respond promptly to emails. Weakness: wait time for appointments is pretty long, can take anything between 4-6 weeks to get an appointment...The costs were pretty high, higher than other clinics I’ve worked with
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Rita is very kind, warm and compassionate. She is very knowledgeable and helpful. Tammy is my favorite nurse, she communicates often, is prompt, clear and supportive. Patients usually communicate with nurses more than the doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Have a list of questions, communicate all your worries, wants and needs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tammy Greenleaf )
Tammy communicates so well, she’s prompt, even responded on her days off. She was very knowledgeable, helpful and kind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
The costs were pretty high, higher than other clinics I’ve worked with
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.

2019 - 2021, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Samuel Pauli] showed compassion for my negative pregnancy test, and chemicals. He was willing to listen to my changes in procedures. He valued my feelings...He was compassionate and understanding. I felt he was just as frustrated with my infertility as I was. He didn’t treat me as a number or a ratings score. He wanted me to finally have the family I’ve wanted for 5 years now...He was always willing to discuss options
Make sure your [Boston IVF] portal and appointment times are the same. Always be clear of what department you are trying to get a hold of like admin or nursing. They email direction for egg retrievals/transfers etc and they are pretty clear of instructions...Nurse Nikki always returned my calls, no matter how silly the question...Insurance covered most. Medication costs were ridiculous
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to advocate for you selves if you have ideas of a treatment plans. He was always willing to discuss options
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He showed compassion for my negative pregnancy test, and chemicals. He was willing to listen to my changes in procedures. He valued my feelings
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
Nurse Nikki always returned my calls, no matter how silly the question. She personally called me once we found out I was going to be expecting twins and was so happy for my. She was equally as devastated when told her we lost them at 9 weeks.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Make sure your portal and appointment times are the same. Always be clear of what department you are trying to get a hold of like admin or nursing. They email direction for egg retrievals/transfers etc and they are pretty clear of instructions
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered most. Medication costs were ridiculous
Worcester

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Resetkova has sat and listened to me cry, both in person and over the phone, and has been so compassionate. She definitely does not just see us as a number, she has called me anytime she hears about a possible study or alternative, such as a clinic in LA that will allow same sex couples to adopt embryos, that may help us successfully achieve pregnancy...she goes out of her way to find ways to make this journey very individualized, to minimize your fears and help you understand this journey.
Layunda, or "Lou" [nurse at Boston IVF] as she is called, is so sweet and compassionate, she has always been so friendly and upbeat, and has been so supportive when things don't go as we want them to...The office opens early for monitoring appointments, which is great. On the weekends all monitoring is done at the Waltham office, and all procedures are done at the Waltham office, so the doctor that does your egg retrieval or embryo transfer may not be your primary physician but, the ENTIRE team is wonderful and so caring. My most recent post-op nurse was so attentive and helped me manage the pain I was having with such compassion.
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
I have had nothing but positive experiences with the team at BostonIVF South Shore, from the administrative staff, nurses, phlebotomist, ultrasound techs, and Dr. Resetkova. Everyone is so kind and seems to be genuinely interested in you and your path to parenthood. I can be open an honest with them about how all of this feels, and how frustrating an infertility diagnosis is. They were genuinely happy when we did achieve a pregnancy, and they cried with us when we lost that pregnancy. I feel so completely supported by the team at BostonIVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Be honest and open with her about your concerns, she goes out of her way to find ways to make this journey very individualized, to minimize your fears and help you understand this journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I did several un-medicated IUI cycles, then moved onto medicated IUI cylces, non of which resulted in pregnancy. We tried cycles with clomid, and FSH. Then we moved onto IVF, my first IVF cycle started with a short period of oral contraceptive then with used Gonal-F and Menopur to stimulated. We started with lower doses of the Gonal-F and increased as needed with monitoring. This cycle produced very few eggs and was converted to an IUI cycle which was unsuccessful. The next IVF cycle started with high doses of Gonal-F and Menopur, with this cycle we retrieved 8 eggs, more then she expected, 6 fertilized and 2 made it to good quality day 5 blastocysts. We opted not to test our embryos because we were worried with limited numbers we could risk losing them. We transferred both of these embryos and I was pregnant but, lost the baby to a trisomy at 18 weeks. My mos recent IVF cycle we followed the same medication plan, high doses of Gonal F and Menopur, we got 3 eggs, and 2 fertilized. We transferred both of these embryos on day 3. We are now in a holding period because of the COVID 19 pandemic. I am taking an oral contraceptive now in preparation for a hopeful cycle start in May. At that time we will be using Gonal F, Lupron, and Menopur (I believe).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Layunda)
Layunda, or "Lou" as she is called, is so sweet and compassionate, she has always been so friendly and upbeat, and has been so supportive when things don't go as we want them to.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
Some of my care was covered under insurance but, some was not. In total I believe we have spent over $10,000 on fertility treatments.
Describe Nina Resetkova's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Our physician explained to us that given my age, the likelihood of multiple pregnancy was low as we would likely lose 1/2 of the embryos transferred. If we retrieve more than 5 eggs that successfully fertilize we will wait until day 5 if possible and transfer 2, if we get less then 5 we will transfer on day 3 and will transfer up to 3 embryos based on quality.
Nina Resetkova
South Shore

She [Dr. Murphy] is very informative. She answers every question you have with a straight answer. She doesn't give false hope and she will tell you what to expect. Even with only one failed round, I am very eager to start my next round with her as my doctor because this is not an 100% chance thing and with her as my doctor I feel like my odds increase!
Boston ivf is very clean, organized, and friendly. The office is warm and inviting. They support any kind of couples. The nurses and doctors are great with names and faces with all the people they see daily. ... Dr. Murphy suggested 1 embryo transfer because of my age and heath. ... I can't remember her name but she was the beta nurse, always called me early on the days I went in for ultrasounds. Always called me back within the hour if I had a question for her.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
She is very informative. She answers every question you have with a straight answer. She doesn't give false hope and she will tell you what to expect. Even with only one failed round, I am very eager to start my next round with her as my doctor because this is not an 100% chance thing and with her as my doctor I feel like my odds increase!
Ask her any questions you have. She will always answer you.
Dr. Murphy was very kind and always answered my questions even if I thought they were stupid questions. She made me feel like no question is stupid. She gave me everything I needed to know and didn't give me false hope.
In my cycle I used menopur, ganirelix, and follistim for my egg retrieval. I got 19 eggs, 8 were fertilized and 4 made it to day 5. 1 was transferred, 2 were frozen. I started progesterone the day after my egg retrieval until after my negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
I reached my out of pocket maximum because of a surgery I had prior to starting ivf so I didn't have to pay much for ivf. My lifetime max is 25k and meds is 10k, I reached my med maximum very quickly but I paid nothing for almost all of the medications, except 1 that wasn't covered and my nurse got me a very good price.
Dr. Murphy suggested 1 embryo transfer because of my age and heath.
Brookline

She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] is very straight forward with information, but also explains everything well. Interactions with her are limited. Her personality isn’t very warm, but you can still tell she does care an did compassionate about what you’re going through. She doesnt seem to be open to my suggestions sometime as I’m not a healthcare professional. She recently emailed to check on me during the pandemic which was surprising, but very nice and thoughtful!
Their [Boston IVF] online portal need a lot of help. I wish they would utilize it more to get information to their patients quicker. They are clean and organized. Their method of sign in is good if it’s looked at carefully by the nurses (I’ve been skipped before). Everyone I’ve interacted with at both locations have been very warm and helpful...No one checked in on me and how i was doing during and after each cycles result.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She is very straight forward with information, but also explains everything well. Interactions with her are limited. Her personality isn’t very warm, but you can still tell she does care an did compassionate about what you’re going through. She doesnt seem to be open to my suggestions sometime as I’m not a healthcare professional. She recently emailed to check on me during the pandemic which was surprising, but very nice and thoughtful!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Don’t let your initial reaction to her personality steer you away. She does know what she is doing and she does care, even if it can seem like she doesn’t.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
I only got to speak with her twice in the last few months. No one checked in on me and how i was doing during and after each cycles result.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We were given a treatment plan of injections and IUI procedure. Cd 3 start Gonal-F, ultrasound scans and bloodwork every other day, once follicles we’re mature take Ovidrel (trigger shot) then scheduled IUI. We did this twice with a negative result. We were set to try a 3rd time but the pandemic happened. The reason for 3 was insurance purposes. She said she felt confident that we would have good results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brynna )
She is very compassionate and takes the time to answer all questions. She also calls back in timely fashion.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their online portal need a lot of help. I wish they would utilize it more to get information to their patients quicker. They are clean and organized. Their method of sign in is good if it’s looked at carefully by the nurses (I’ve been skipped before). Everyone I’ve interacted with at both locations have been very warm and helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
Consultation cost us $150.00 out of pocket. Each medication was $30 per refill/per drug. I haven’t received full billing amount for all cycles yet.

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
The first appointment [with Dr. Penzias] was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next...We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance
She [Boston IVF nurse] is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean...I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic...I have a copay for each appointment. IUI we paid for out of pocket at roughly $500. The drugs were $500. This came as a surprise to us
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
The first appointment was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next. Until Covid it was very hard to get an appointment and normally required one month wait. This feels like forever when battling a ticking body clock. I liked that he used my data to figure out next steps. I did not feel especially like the treatment was custom made for me but we have not yet been able to start an IVF cycle. It was nice that he tried to enrol us in a clinical trial.
Make a list of all your questions before you go in else the appointment will be very short and you will feel unsatisfied
The first appointment was really helpful. He was very kind in the last appointment as I have been waiting so long. Dr P likes statistics and sometimes I feel like I am one of them.
We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance. This was more of our decision due to cost. I feel like if we had insurance we would have jumped straight to IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
I feel like I speak to my nurse at least a couple of times per month as i have so many period issues. She is very helpful and clear and gets back to me very quickly. She is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean. I have never called any medical professional this much and I don't get the feeling I am bugging her
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic. The Domar center is an awesome resource and I think it would be helpful to advertise their services particularly the mind body program more prominently. The weakness is that they are so busy it is hard to get appointments to see the doctor.

2019 - 2020, 13 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Berger took the time to understand my condition. He listened to me and diagnosed something I had my entire adult life and had gone undiagnosed for years...Within minutes of speaking with me and looking at my results he had determined that I had lean pcos. As he described symptoms that I’d had my entire life, I was in disbelief that someone I’d met minutes before had finally figured me out...
[Boston IVF is] Organized kind and helpful. Note that they are extremely busy (you may have to wait a bit to see Dr. Berger for first apt so do not hesitate to call now) but always call back as promised and are extremely helpful with scheduling...I did egg retrieval which was self pay. I believe cost was around $6,500 plus drugs...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Where to begin? I started my egg freeze process just about one year ago with a different doctor. All of my initial labs came back great. My first and second round of treatment ended with a terrible result (compared to what was expected). I ended up with only 3 mature eggs each time. The doctor I was seeing at the time diagnosed me with unexplained diminished ovarian reserve and more or less wrote me off. At this time, I went to Dr. Berger for a second opinion. Within minutes of speaking with me and looking at my results he had determined that I had lean pcos. As he described symptoms that I’d had my entire life, I was in disbelief that someone I’d met minutes before had finally figured me out. I was relieved but cautiously optimistic because of 2 bad cycles with the previous doctor. I began treatment for pcos. I just got back from my cycle with dr. Berger. I had 16 eggs retrieved and 13 frozen. That is four times what I got in my two previous cycles. I am so thankful I found Dr. Berger. Had I not gone to him for a second opinion I may never have known I had pcos and might have never figured this out. Additionally, he was extremely kind and informative. I cannot recommend him enough. Thank you Dr. Berger !!!!
Put your faith in his expertise!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Metformin to treat pcos Began estradiol one week before cycle day 1 Gonal f with decreasing dosage as treatment went on Low dose hcgc Certrotide Ovradil to trigger
Kind and helpful!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Waltham

Dr. Sneeringer recommended eSET for our first transfers, but after 2 unsuccessful tries, was open to transferring two for us...we appreciated her kindness and bedside manner. She was always up to date on our case, empathetic, and confident. She was open to any and all questions, and was thorough in explaining things to us. She tailored my testing to me specifically based on family history (adding some additional genetic tests after discussing my mother's fertility history)
Boston IVF is definitely a huge clinic, but we wanted that. We wanted a clinic that was invested in our success. Make sure you get to know your nurse coordinator, and know that you'll always leave a message on the nurse line and it will be returned in a timely manner. All of the lab and ultrasound staff are amazing as well. Morning monitoring is a seamless procedure at Boston IVF.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was a great fit for us, we appreciated her kindness and bedside manner. She was always up to date on our case, empathetic, and confident. She was open to any and all questions, and was thorough in explaining things to us. She tailored my testing to me specifically based on family history (adding some additional genetic tests after discussing my mother's fertility history).
Dr. Sneeringer was very kind, and we always appreciated our consultations with her. We felt supported by her and her team.
I did a basic antagonist protocol - 10 days of BCP, then 11 days of Gonal-F with the last 5 days adding Cetrotide. I did Ovidrel trigger for all procedures. She kept me on a mid-range protocol and wanted middle-of-the-road results for me, which she said we achieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was excellent, all of my medications were ordered without hiccup. My calls were always returned in a timely manner, and even weekend and after-hours staff were wonderful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
My care was completely covered by my insurance, except for my deductible for my egg retrieval.
2017 - 2020, Unsuccessful
During the first IUI cycle [with Dr. Pauli], we started with the lowest dose and incremented up until I was on the highest dose plus dexamethasone. For our egg retrieval, he had me do an antagonist protocol with Cetrotide. I don't know the rationale for this protocol over others, but I responded will in terms of follicles/mature eggs produced...he strongly suggested elective single embryo transfers for the first two transfers. After that, he seemed more amenable to doing a multiple embryo transfer if I pushed for that but still recommended single embryo transfers.
A few times I have not received a call [from Boston IVF] with details about the results of some diagnostic tests. I also had an incident during my third IUI where I received a false result. A mechanical malfunction caused my beta result to be recorded as positive rather than negative...is a large fertility clinic, which has advantages and disadvantages. One of the pros is that monitoring and time sensitive procedures (IUIs, retrievals, transfers) happen every day of the week, and with the exception of scheduling consultations with my RE, I'm able to schedule tests/procedures without huge delays/waits. The cons are that care may not be as personalized as it is at smaller clinics with fewer patients.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli has been fantastic. I really appreciate his straightforward manner. He's approach tends to be more conservative and while I have not gotten pregnant yet, I don't think this is a reflection of his clinical skills.
Ask lots of questions. Dr. Pauli always seemed willing to answer all my questions and explain his rationale for my treatment plans, and asking questions helped me to understand.
Dr. Pauli has really listened to my concerns, answered my questions compassionately, and was receptive when I asked about alternative transfer protocols.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did three IUIs with Dr. Pauli using letrozole, which he selected because the academic research indicates women with PCOS tend to respond better to letrozole than clomid. During the first IUI cycle, we started with the lowest dose and incremented up until I was on the highest dose plus dexamethasone. For our egg retrieval, he had me do an antagonist protocol with Cetrotide. I don't know the rationale for this protocol over others, but I responded will in terms of follicles/mature eggs produced. On retrieval day, we got 21 eggs, 16 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, and 6 embryos frozen on day 5. I did develop mild OHSS. For the first two frozen embryo transfers, Dr. Pauli had me on a birth control and Lupron down regulation then estrogen in increasing doses before starting progesterone in oil after a lining check. Both transfers resulted in negative betas. We switched to ovulation induction with letrozole and an HCG triggers shot for the third embryo transfer, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I stopped responding to letrozole, so we switched back to the original transfer protocol and did an ERA, which showed that I was 1 day pre-receptive and needed an additional 24 hours of progesterone. Our fourth embryo transfer resulted in a missed miscarriage between 6 and 8 weeks. Fifth transfer resulted in a negative beta test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicki)
Nurse Nicki primarily manages my care, and she has been fantastic. Occasionally, one of the other nurses on Dr. Pauli's team will manage my care and they have also been great. They almost always return my call on the same day if not within an hour or two of leaving a message.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
BostonIVF (which merged with IVF NE a couple years ago) is a large fertility clinic, which has advantages and disadvantages. One of the pros is that monitoring and time sensitive procedures (IUIs, retrievals, transfers) happen every day of the week, and with the exception of scheduling consultations with my RE, I'm able to schedule tests/procedures without huge delays/waits. The cons are that care may not be as personalized as it is at smaller clinics with fewer patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
My insurance has covered the majority of my costs.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
In my situation, he strongly suggested elective single embryo transfers for the first two transfers. After that, he seemed more amenable to doing a multiple embryo transfer if I pushed for that but still recommended single embryo transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A few times I have not received a call with details about the results of some diagnostic tests. I also had an incident during my third IUI where I received a false result. A mechanical malfunction caused my beta result to be recorded as positive rather than negative.
Gloucester
Dr Pauli was always really attentive and informed whenever we met with him. He explained every detail and possibility for us. Sometimes, he would call me after hours to update me on results or if I was having an issue with the clinic...[he] is incredibly generous with his time and knowledge and making us feel like we're moving forward
The doctors [at Boston IVF] are great. If your IVF is pretty straight forward, then I'm sure you'll have no issues going through the process, but do not expect the nurses or the clinicians to know your case or even glance at it before they call you for anything other than routine med calls during your cycle...I went two months without a period and no one wondered where I was or what my status was, so you absolutely have to be your own advocate otherwise, you won't make a jot of progress.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr Paul is incredibly generous with his time and knowledge and making us feel like we're moving forward. He was recommended to us by my OB-GYN because of his compassion and his expertise which are not exaggerated.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff at Boston IVF are the gatekeepers to your doctor. Every time you ask a question about some element of your treatment, you get the stock answer. Do not expect anyone to be familiar with your file or listen when you explain to them that you have x issue, they are not intimately familiar with your case nor do they care. They're used to straightforward IVF procedures, not nuance.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
This place is an actual disaster. The doctors are great. If your IVF is pretty straight forward, then I'm sure you'll have no issues going through the process, but do not expect the nurses or the clinicians to know your case or even glance at it before they call you for anything other than routine med calls during your cycle. Insurance is an actual disaster and you need to stay on them because you'll lose serious time with oversights. (Example: For me, they wasted two months trying to file my medications with a prescription that doesn't work with my insurance and insisting that I was wrong and telling me to call. No.) Their delays will cost you, for me, it meant three surgeries, one that I wouldn't have required had they been competent. Some of this competency is due to their insurance and authorization people being understaffed and clearly uninformed or unfamiliar. Finally, they basically leave you to manage your own care. No one is holding your hand through this or keeping-up with you. I went two months without a period and no one wondered where I was or what my status was, so you absolutely have to be your own advocate otherwise, you won't make a jot of progress.
$3000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
They called my prescriptions in to the wrong pharmacy, a pharmacy not even ASSOCIATED with my insurance. For six weeks I waited for pre-authorizations which were not received. I was told to call the pharmacy and they said they never received the authorizations. It was clear that no one at Boston IVF knew what they were doing and the nursing team was tasked with spending six hours on the phone to figure this out instead of the insurance or billing people. I have had multiple delays due to Covid-19, clerical errors that resulted in additional surgeries, and additional stressors. The lack of attention to your record is a huge issue with the assumption that all patients are simply impatient.
Lexington

Dr. Wright is very direct. This does not work for everyone but worked for us. She also talked about what our next steps were and answered every question we had on our list. After 3 failed IUIs she brought us in again to talk about next steps...When my husband explained how all the treatment me were getting me down, she gave us a list of counselors to try...
They [the Boston IVF nurses] are the ones you see most while doing blood work and ultrasounds. They kept me calm or calmed me down when I was upset. They are always prompt in calling you back...They are in the process of moving to a bigger clinic. The only negative is my husband had to collect his sample in the bathroom instead of a collection room like the branch in Mass. has, which made him uncomfortable since it was so close to reception. Overall not a big deal. I like how there aren’t many people in there at any one time.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
If you have questions ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright is very direct and answers all questions asked. When my husband explained how all the treatment me were getting me down, she gave us a list of counselors to try.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
3 rounds of IUI with letrozol. I had many diagnostic testing before this. On the last round when my body wasn’t responding she up my letrozol and increased monitoring. I believe she did everything she could do before she said we couldn’t inseminate that last round.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The staff here is amazing. They are the ones you see most while doing blood work and ultrasounds. They kept me calm or calmed me down when I was upset. They are always prompt in calling you back.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The Bedford branch has been great. They are in the process of moving to a bigger clinic. The only negative is my husband had to collect his sample in the bathroom instead of a collection room like the branch in Mass. has, which made him uncomfortable since it was so close to reception. Overall not a big deal. I like how there aren’t many people in there at any one time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
I don’t remember all the individual costs with the diagnostic testing. An office visit costs almost $400 without a referral. IUI cost $1,200 plus meds.
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Kristen Wright
2018 - 2020, Successful
he [Dr. Samuel Pauli] may not come off as the warmest doctor in the practice, but he is highly skilled, and takes you as his patient into consideration with all of his plans...after working with him for several months we appreciated his level of in depth explanation and his approach to our case...He treated us with care and respect, took the time to answer any questions we had, and explained what our other doctor never took the time to review with us.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is clean, welcoming, and comfortable. This experience can be very overwhelming and it is nice that they have so many different satellite offices to fit your needs. I always felt comfortable in all locations...The nursing staff is always so great. You see them often through all parts of your cycle so the emotions are all over the place. They are always upbeat, informative and helpful...It [monitoring] was efficient and quick
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli came highly recommended to us after a not so positive experience with another doctor at another clinic. Upon our first meeting he put our minds at ease with his overall knowledge and handling of our case. He treated us with care and respect, took the time to answer any questions we had, and explained what our other doctor never took the time to review with us. He is extremely educated in the fertility process, so it can come off as cold at first but after working with him for several months we appreciated his level of in depth explanation and his approach to our case. Not only would I recommend him to my best friend, I did!
Understand he may not come off as the warmest doctor in the practice, but he is highly skilled, and takes you as his patient into consideration with all of his plans.
Dr Pauli explain each procedure thoroughly and answered all of our questions. He gave his opinions and listened to ours.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is clean, welcoming, and comfortable. This experience can be very overwhelming and it is nice that they have so many different satellite offices to fit your needs. I always felt comfortable in all locations
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
It was efficient and quick
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Most of my care was covered under my health insurance plan
Lexington

Dr. Berger was a breath of fresh air...really took my diagnosis into account in planning my cycle and monitored my progress very closely...made me feel very informed and like my protocol was truly customized...even called me on a Saturday without prompting to let me know his plans during my cycle as I progressed...I don’t believe I would have my beautiful twins if it weren’t for him and his attention to my case.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is a well oiled machine. Lots of personnel and great hours to be able to fit you in. I appreciated the patient portal and regular communication. It can sometimes feel like it’s too big but I still felt like I got to know the staff well...[Dr. Berger] really took my diagnosis into account in planning my cycle and monitored my progress very closely. I don’t believe I would have my beautiful twins if it weren’t for him and his attention to my case.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger was a breath of fresh air after my first doctor. He really took my diagnosis into account in planning my cycle and monitored my progress very closely. I don’t believe I would have my beautiful twins if it weren’t for him and his attention to my case.
Get on the schedule as early as possible as he is very busy and don’t be afraid to ask any question.
He made me feel very informed and like my protocol was truly customized. He even called me on a Saturday without prompting to let me know his plans during my cycle as I progressed.
Estrogen priming, step down protocol with FSH and hcg
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
All the staff at Boston IVF have always been fantastic.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is a well oiled machine. Lots of personnel and great hours to be able to fit you in. I appreciated the patient portal and regular communication. It can sometimes feel like it’s too big but I still felt like I got to know the staff well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
All covered under insurance except for co-pays for appointments and meds ($20/appt, $30/med)
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Given my significant DOR, both doctors I saw felt multiple embryo transfer was appropriate to maximize chances. I am somewhat young and in very good health so was a good candidate for carrying twins as my OB explained.
Waltham
Dr Murphy forgot repeatedly what had happened in my history (she forgot about my chromosomally normal pregnancies, about a chemical pregnancy, about the fact that she prescribed and that I took letrozole for one cycle) ... Make sure to understand your own course; she is not reliable ...
Boston IVF is an older office with not a lot of space, but they are efficient and the office and nursing staff are very nice. This was convenient for me and covered by my insurance, so that was good. Parking is expensive. ... The majority of cost was picked up by my insurance; anything that would not be was discussed in advance.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Make sure to understand your own course; she is not reliable
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. David Ryley] was great, but I only met him once...The rest was executed by the Boston IVF operation...I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process...Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal
Scheduling was a challenge [at Boston IVF]...They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse).
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal, and my husband was treated as the free sperm donor. Dr. Ryley was great, but I only met him once. The rest was executed by the Boston IVF operation. Scheduling was a challenge. IVF is a timely matter. If you have a day job forget it. They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse). When I started to cry they told me to "stop crying." Then they say "in reality you could have had water up to 2 hours before, we just don't like to tell people that." Since the transfer I've been trying to get a copy of the results. They said they would email it and haven't. I've been trying for six weeks. I went in today for my first ultrasound to see the fetus. Due to Covid-19, they won't let my husband come with me. (For reference, all other hospitals and clinics in Boston allow 1 visitor by this time). I asked if I can FaceTime or video and they said no it's a "strict policy." I started crying telling them how hard, impersonal, and lonely this experience has been and how hard it is for me to even get documentation of my own medical records. They didn't care - they would barely let me even look at the ultrasound screen myself. When the nurse called me with the results she said "they should be able to let you FaceTime your husband; others have been doing that." To be fair, everyone is polite and I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
It is really hard to have a day job; during the cycle there will be no regard for your time. Boston IVF is an embryo farm. They'll get the job done, but be prepared to be treated like a number.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Overworked. I think as humans they genuinely care but are overworked so that they have to treat people as a number to get through the daily to-do list.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Stregths = experience. Weaknesses = operations and bedside manner. Did I get pregnant, yes. But every step of the way was painful, impersonal, and my husband was treated as the free sperm donor. Scheduling was a challenge. IVF is a timely matter. If you have a day job forget it. They run so many people through their operation that you best be ready to drop everything when they need to show up or answer the phone. They call you with instructions for the day and if you can't answer they leave vague messages, and it will take multiple calls to try and get them back if you have any questions. They will even call you and say "we need you at X clinic location tomorrow at X time for an ultrasound," and hang up. Again if you have a job, be sure to drop everything whenever they leave you a voicemail. Retrieval was a traumatic experience. They couldn't fgure out how to insert the IV. They made me wait until 4 pm for surgery (I had no schedulings once again). I couldn't have any water since midnight before. My veins had been stabbed daily for the previous 10 days for blood tests. With collapsed veins and no hydration they stuck me 8 times! Each attempt I could feel the vein collapsing with an excruiated sting (the estrogen prescription makes the pain worse). When I started to cry they told me to "stop crying." Then they say "in reality you could have had water up to 2 hours before, we just don't like to tell people that." Since the transfer I've been trying to get a copy of the results. They said they would email it and haven't. I've been trying for six weeks. I went in today for my first ultrasound to see the fetus. Due to Covid-19, they won't let my husband come with me. (For reference, all other hospitals and clinics in Boston allow 1 visitor by this time). I asked if I can FaceTime or video and they said no it's a "strict policy." I started crying telling them how hard, impersonal, and lonely this experience has been and how hard it is for me to even get documentation of my own medical records. They didn't care - they would barely let me even look at the ultrasound screen myself. When the nurse called me with the results she said "they should be able to let you FaceTime your husband; others have been doing that." To be fair, everyone is polite and I really like my doctor (Dr. Ryley). But the operation is unorganized and impersonal, and consistently treated my husband like we was just a sperm donor in the process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Very expensive, but insurance covered most.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Nurses are overworked. Getting the prescriptions was a mess - required me to make multiple phone calls to handhold the communications between Boston IVF and Avella pharmacy. They gave me conflicting information on surgery prep and clinic protocol. Didn't give clear instructions on administering hormones (i.e. what time); I asked very specific questions to get it based on research.

2020, Consult
Dr Carla [DiGirolamo] is empathetic and compassionate...she is never rushed, tries to understand the problem, work on the diagnosis, and make sure all treatments/risks are fully explained. While she presents options as a doctor, she also gives a good balance of helping us select options we prefer
Strengths: Boston IVF Waltham and Westborough offices are both great clinics with some wonderful doctors and nurses. They are very organized such that wait times are minimal too. Weaknesses: Yet to begin treatment, so can't say yet
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr Carla is empathetic and compassionate. It has been a pleasure working with her as she is never rushed, tries to understand the problem, work on the diagnosis, and make sure all treatments/risks are fully explained. While she presents options as a doctor, she also gives a good balance of helping us select options we prefer (instead of doctors not giving us enough information and expecting patients to decide on their own).
Go for it!
Dr Carla was patient, empathetic and open to hearing about all previous treatments/alternate treatments as well. She was never rushed, and made sure I and my spouse had all my questions covered. She also made sure to get into as much detail as we'd like to understand treatments. Look forward to the actual treatment and result with her when we get to it!
Yet to begin any treatment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Shelby Sparby)
Shelby has been the most compassionate and helpful through the entire experience
Office/outpatient visit $443
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Yet to begin any treatment

2019 - 2020, Consult
She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood...She was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand...She took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood...I have not started treatment yet but she has suggested an unmedicated IUI.
[staff of Boston IVF] Everyone that I have come into contact in person or on the phone has been very kind and patient. They are able to explain any questions that I have had and don't rush through it...Come prepared with any questions you may have. She [Dr. DiGirolamo] was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood. She also was not at all judgmental (something I was afraid of going into the first appointment).
Come prepared with any questions you may have. She was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand.
She was honest and I did not feel rushed in appointments. She took time to explain everything.
I have not started treatment yet but she has suggested an unmedicated IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were amazing. The were kind and the woman who took my blood was the best I have ever had. No bruise left which never has happened before.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone that I have come into contact in person or on the phone has been very kind and patient. They are able to explain any questions that I have had and don't rush through it. Everyone seems to really care.

2020, Unknown Success
I felt like a number to her [Dr. Luzzo] . I saw her for a year and talked to her four times. I would ask questions and a nurse would try to answer them not the actual doctor. I told her what I wanted to do I’m certain situations. She said that it wasn’t a problem and then didn’t do what she promised...I felt like they were not tailoring a plan to me and when things didn’t go as expected they provided no guidance.
The [Boston IVF] staff I saw on a day to day basis were very sweet and supportive. Unfortunately the ones controlling my treatment completely ignored me and what I wanted to achieve with my treatments. I didn’t feel like a person. I felt like they were not tailoring a plan to me and when things didn’t go as expected they provided no guidance..
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
I felt like a number to her. I saw her for a year and talked to her four times. I would ask questions and a nurse would try to answer them not the actual doctor. I told her what I wanted to do I’m certain situations. She said that it wasn’t a problem and then didn’t do what she promised.
Go somewhere else
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
She tried to hang up on me multiple times as I was trying to ask questions. I felt like I was just a box to check off her list. She was rude almost every time I spoke with her
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The staff I saw on a day to day basis were very sweet and supportive. Unfortunately the ones controlling my treatment completely ignored me and what I wanted to achieve with my treatments. I didn’t feel like a person. I felt like they were not tailoring a plan to me and when things didn’t go as expected they provided no guidance.

2011 - 2019, Successful
Each time we had a negative result she (Dr. Kerri Luzzo) would help dust us off and get us back in the saddle. When I got my first positive pregnancy, she was so excited she called me with the results. When we “graduated” we opted not to know the gender but asked her to surprise us, she made out a card for us to open when we were ready. Although later I lost my pregnancy due to IC ( incompetent Cervix), we got pregnant again and again and she would always tell me to text her or email her and keep her updated. She would contact me on my appointment days wishing me luck and I would share sonogram photos with her and updates. She genuinely cares about her patients. I never had a bad experience with her.
Just like Dr. Luzzo her staff Julie Perry( Dr.Luzzo coordinator), Joanna Leroux, (front desk) Wendy Shaw (nurse) Heidi LaValley( ultrasound tech), Chrystal Norates (phlebotomists) were amazing. They are the best team to work with and when you are there often it’s nice to have such great faces welcoming you in. We have all became like family. Dr Luzzo’s team [at Boston IVF] is incredible. They also kept in touch during my pregnancies and I have made some great friends that I consider very close...The cost of care was expensive. We had changed our insurance company last year but some costs were not always covered. We spent a couple thousand dollars each cycle for medications, some bloodwork (3rd party ), co-payments and meeting our deductible, also our genetic testing was not covered the first time so that cost us $3,700 for the testing of 5-8 day 5 embryos. IVF is not cheap and we have done it multiple times. Luckily, the last time we had the PGS testing done, insurance covered the cost with the recommendation from the doctor.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Nine years ago when I started seeing Dr. Luzzo she was very thorough and helped us to understand everything that we were about to experience. We had started out from the very beginning of time in intercourse to the IUI procedures, to IVF, to IVF with ICSI hatching , to IVF with ICSI , hatching and PGS. It’s been a long journey, and she has been with us through the whole thing. Each time we had a negative result she would help dust us off and get us back in the saddle. When I got my first positive pregnancy, she was so excited she called me with the results. When we “graduated” we opted not to know the gender but asked her to surprise us, she made out a card for us to open when we were ready. Although later I lost my pregnancy due to IC ( incompetent Cervix), we got pregnant again and again and she would always tell me to text her or email her and keep her updated. She would contact me on my appointment days wishing me luck and I would share sonogram photos with her and updates. She genuinely cares about her patients. I never had a bad experience with her.
Don’t give up on her, she will do everything she can to figure it out and help you. Trust her advice and her treatment plan. She’s more than just a RE , she is one of the best.
Dr. Luzzo has always been such a huge support to my husband and I during our journey. She has called me from her home to check on me, she also had given me her personal cell phone number to keep her updated after my “graduation” ( when you transfer to OB with pregnancy). Whenever we would come to the office and she would see us she would always make small chitchat and was always smiling and laughing with us. When times were hard, she would check on us and hug us. Dr Luzzo became like family. I completely trust her and I know she has and would do whatever she can to help us become a family. When your going through such a hard challenge like infertility, it’s important that the doctor takes their time with you and is patient. Dr Kerri Luzzo is the best IVF RE and I would never change doctors.
I don’t remember each treatment strategy however, when we did the IVF process we did the Gonal-F and started our doses low I believe (75) and then gradually higher , by our 3rd retrieval we started high (300) and stayed high approx 2-3 weeks. We also did Menopur and again started at 1 vial then by our 3rd retrieval we started at 2 vials during the 2-3 weeks. Then we would go in for ultrasounds and check on the follicle growth and count and bloodwork for levels of LH and FSH. Slow and steady wins the race! Close to the time of “ triggering “ (ovulation stimulant) I would start on cetrotide (.25MG)for the last week and then when ready to finally “pop” the nurse would call with the time that I would inject the Pregnyl (HCG). Then about 48 hours later I would have the eggs retrieved and ready for testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Julie Perry)
Just like Dr. Luzzo her staff Julie Perry( Dr.Luzzo coordinator), Joanna Leroux, (front desk) Wendy Shaw (nurse) Heidi LaValley( ultrasound tech), Chrystal Norates (phlebotomists) were amazing. They are the best team to work with and when you are there often it’s nice to have such great faces welcoming you in. We have all became like family. Dr Luzzo’s team is incredible. They also kept in touch during my pregnancies and I have made some great friends that I consider very close.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
As a new patient you might be overwhelmed but they make it as easy as possible for you. The strength of this clinic is that they work as a team and work all together. They are very friendly, thorough and compassionate.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Monitoring appointments would be scheduled for early mornings. There had been times where I was stuck in traffic and running late for my appointment when I would call they would say don’t worry we’ll see you when you get here. One time I did forget about my appointment and they called me to make sure I was ok, and we just rescheduled for the next day. The nice thing about the appts is that they can start very early in the morning so you can still make it to work on time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Because of my age we would only put in one, since it could split and we knew they were checked for chromosomal abnormalities. I trusted her advice and was ok with just the one at a time approach.
Providence

Dr. Ryley certainly knows what he's doing, so I really trusted him to manage my care. However, it was so hard to get an appointment and when I was with him, I always felt the ticking clock in the background. He would talk so fast and overwhelm me with information, so I never had time to fully process and formulate questions I wanted to ask. As a result, many questions went unanswered, which was very stressful and at times upsetting, especially when things did not go as expected during some of my treatment.
Jess was a fantastic nurse. She was the only person [at Boston IVF] I knew how to contact and would always respond to me in a timely manner with answers to my many questions...is a total factory: you just get on the conveyor belt and go. There's very little personal touch, and no one is going to hold your hand through the process. That said, they have this down to a science and it's very easy to get your monitoring appointments and results, medication shipped to you, etc. It's definitely a trade-off, but I would opt for a smaller clinic next time because the personal touch outweighs the efficiency for me.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Do not expect to have your hand held throughout this process. You will get very efficient, high quality care, but he is not there to guide you through it. Be your own advocate and go into each appointment prepared with questions and don't be afraid to take all the time you need with him, even if it feels like he's trying to rush you.
Dr. Ryley was always really great in our human interactions; however, I think Boston IVF on the whole treats its patients like numbers vs. humans. When I had logistical complications during my IVF cycle, there was literally no one I could reach out to who I felt would want to help me. Dr. Ryley is impossible to get an appointment with, so everything takes so much longer than it should. That said, Dr. Ryley was very straightforward with me about our odds and as a result I felt like I could really trust that he wasn't giving us false hope. He was very realistic but also very positive and encouraging. There were just so many times when we felt totally lost and alone in the process and wish we had gone to a smaller clinic for a more human touch.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My husband and I have unexplained infertility, so we started with 3 medicated IUIs (with Clomid days 3-7) and then moved on to IVF (Gonal-F, Menopur, and Cetrotide). All IUIs were unsuccessful. My IVF round led to only 5 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized, and 2 made it to day 5 blastocysts. One was transferred and one was frozen for later transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Young)
Jess was a fantastic nurse. She was the only person I knew how to contact and would always respond to me in a timely manner with answers to my many questions. I really appreciated her patience and organization when it came to managing my care through a very stressful process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a total factory: you just get on the conveyor belt and go. There's very little personal touch, and no one is going to hold your hand through the process. That said, they have this down to a science and it's very easy to get your monitoring appointments and results, medication shipped to you, etc. It's definitely a trade-off, but I would opt for a smaller clinic next time because the personal touch outweighs the efficiency for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
My IUI and IVF cycles were fully covered by my insurance, so I only had to pay for medication and appointment co-pays out of pocket. This wound up being maybe $300 for all 3 IUI cycles plus 1 IVF cycle.
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Ryley strongly advised we just transfer one embryo given my age.

2014 - 2019, Unknown Success
[Dr. Rita Sneeringer] was easy to speak with, gave facts in a kind manner...She is conservative with the medical technology and prefers to "put the eggs through hoops" with lab growth then genetic testing...does not prefer to have Day 3, Day 5 transfers. Prefers genetic screening then frozen transfer. Prefers 2 embryos at most...I felt she brought up donor eggs too early after one unsuccessful cycle
[Boston IVF] Primary care nurse was professional but not compassionate. Made statements that weren't necessary. I had to insist on email to have better communication...all my surgeries were also at the clinic and I felt at ease with the surgical team...Egg freezing cycles = $15,000-17,000. 3 elective frozen egg cycles. Human growth hormone = $3,000.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer is probably one of the best in the industry. She is compassionate, friendly, and genuinely wants to see you succeed. She knows when to also be firm and assert her expertise. She did let me ask about novel protocols, etc. The one issue is she is conservative and plays it safe. I was also using frozen eggs. She insisted on developing the eggs past 5 day blasts and having genetic testing on both fresh and frozen eggs. After several failed cycles I asked for a Day 3 transfer and she agreed to a Day 5 transfer. That helped me conceive. But we used every egg and I have no frozen eggs left. I often wish we had done a Day 5 transfer on earlier cycles. Or we had frozen the one remaining embryo that was left with the frozen egg at Day 5. I may have been able to have one more child?
Dr. Sneeringer is one of the best fertility specialists. She is genuine and cares. Some people prefer a stronger voice, but she is professional and asserts her medical expertise when necessary. She is conservative with the medical technology and prefers to "put the eggs through hoops" with lab growth then genetic testing. I felt she brought up donor eggs too early after one unsuccessful cycle. But otherwise, every interaction with her was professional and with the highest level of medical attention and care.
MD was easy to speak with, gave facts in a kind manner. Head nurse had little bedside manner and even made a statement saying that I shouldn't expect good results as I have low ovarian reserve. It was psychologically difficult process and did not need to be exacerbated.
Cycle 1 - 4 Frozen, Fresh retrieval Cycle 2 - 3 Frozen, Fresh retrieval Cycle 3 - 0 Frozen, Fresh retrieval - Genetic Screening - 1 AA embryo, Frozen transfer Cycle 4 - 7 Frozen, Fresh retrieval - 1 BB embryo and one morula, Day 5 transfer, 1 conception (no genetic screening due to day 5 transfer) Strategies used: 7% chance of frozen eggs working, so best to have fresh cycles with frozen eggs. Always use genetic screening to be safe even with eggs frozen at age 35 and 36.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg Kennedy)
Primary care nurse was professional but not compassionate. Made statements that weren't necessary. I had to insist on email to have better communication. Also, I'm in meetings all day, open office, and wireless firewalls for mobile phone issues. The secondary nurse, Bonnie, was much easier to work with, understood how/why I needed to communication using certain means.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I chose a suburban clinic and not a hospital so that I could receive better 1 on 1 attention. It was much more pleasant than going into a clinical setting. I liked that all my surgeries were also at the clinic and I felt at ease with the surgical team. Weakness was easily being able to get to the clinic. Luckily, my physician also worked in a clinic near my home and I was able to get monitoring and blood work there and still make it to work on time.
Dr. Sneeringer does not prefer to have Day 3, Day 5 transfers. Prefers genetic screening then frozen transfer. Prefers 2 embryos at most. Conservative with number of embryos to be transferred.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I personally took paper documents to another IVF clinic. An electronic transfer would have been easier. However, that was the only issue. There were never drug Rx mistakes or surgical mistakes.