Merle Berger

Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2010 - 2013, Unsuccessful
In the one successful round we had, we learned the baby's heart had stopped beating at our last ultrasound before being released to our ob. Dr Pauli [at IVF New England] made sure to schedule my d & c for a day he was performing transfers. À Year after I left his care, I learned I was pregnant spontaneously. I called the clinic to let dr Pauli know, leaving a voicemail not expecting to hear anything. He called me back shortly thereafter and once again was so kind. The fact that we were unable to conceive under his care was not his fault.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr Pauli was great to us. When things didn't work out the way any of expected it to, he was the one to tell us, sometimes going out of his way. One time he even made sure to catch me in the hall before going in for my transfer to give me some not so great news. There were times he called me instead of the nursing staff. I really appreciate that he went out of his way. In the one successful round we had, we learned the baby's heart had stopped beating at our last ultrasound before being released to our ob. Dr Pauli made sure to schedule my d & c for a day he was performing transfers. À Year after I left his care, I learned I was pregnant spontaneously. I called the clinic to let dr Pauli know, leaving a voicemail not expecting to hear anything. He called me back shortly thereafter and once again was so kind. The fact that we were unable to conceive under his care was not his fault.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Take a deep breath and know that it won't be a smooth ride, but Dr P will have your back
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr Pauli is the kindest, most compassionate doctor. He dealt with us during one of the most difficult times in our lives. He always treated us kindly and gently
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did 6 rounds of Ivf / icsi. I don't remember the details - it was 4 years ago and a lot has happened since
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
She was so sweet. I only met her in person once and she gave me a huge hug
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone that worked there was kind and professional. I particularly liked the woman at the front desk (Kathleen) and one of the ultrasound techs (Deb)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Covered by insurance
2013, Successful
I once went into Dr. Berger's office with a list of 45 questions and he went through all of them. A few times I was anxious in between appointments and he spoke to me by phone.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Brian Berger is a brilliant mind, exceptionally skilled physician, compassionate caregiver, and simply the ONLY doctor to see if you are seeking fertility treatment in the Boston area. Dr. Berger would spend hours in person and by phone explaining things to me over and over to make sure I understood. He always would talk about next steps so I could know that if one thing didn't work, he was thinking about what to do next. I felt that he cared about me and my mindset as well as my results. He is probably the smartest person I have ever met without him having a bit of an ego. He is truly caring and you can tell how deeply passionate he is about helping women conceive. His nurse and the entire team at Boston IVF is phenomenal. Do not go anywhere else if you live in MA.
Bring a list of questions. He will go through it with you. Don't be afraid to ask him anything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger was extremely patient explaining everything to me. I once went into his office with a list of 45 questions and he went through all of them. A few times I was anxious in between appointments and he spoke to me by phone. Mostly, I felt like he was really committed to my success and really cared about my outcomes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kate)
I adored my nurse Kate. She was so on top of things and was extremely organized and timely with giving me instructions and information. She was very reassuring times when I was stressed and upset. She always called back immediately.
South Shore
2011 - 2013, Successful
Dr. Ryley was honest and incredibly positive, even when we were starting to lose hope...My only issue is that sometimes he talked a bit fast and details were hard to remember. I wish we had pushed more with regard to egg quality, which seemed to be an issue though he assured us it wasn't.
When meeting with Dr. Ryley and the tech's in the Boston IVF Brookline office, I felt like a cared for patient.... Waltham was the complete opposite - children were always there and never in the separate waiting room (hurtful since we were all there with fertility issues!) and it totally felt like a factory.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was honest and incredibly positive, even when we were starting to lose hope. He encouraged us to seek a second opinion when we told him we wanted to and also offered to raise our case at the practice's monthly meeting to see if someone else had ideas to help address our unexplained infertility. My only issue is that sometimes he talked a bit fast and details were hard to remember. I wish we had pushed more wrt egg quality, which seemed to be an issue though he assured us it wasn't.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Be prepared with questions and be honest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
When meeting with Dr. Ryley and the tech's in the Brookline office, I felt like a cared for patient. The phlebotomist at the Brookline office was AMAZING, as were the techs doing the ultrasounds. They talked us through everything and showed us what they were seeing. Waltham was the complete opposite - children were always there and never in the separate waiting room (hurtful since we were all there with fertility issues!) and it totally felt like a factory. The tech's were cold and didn't show us anything and the blood draws were factory-ish and I always left with a bruise.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
In the procedure room they took care of everything and kept track of things, so after the first one, I always got the patch for nausea to help with being sick after retrievals.

2013, Successful
Overall I had a good experience with dr pang. I saw him trying to conceive a 2nd child....He was very upfront that it may not work Since I had poor egg quality and was a couple years since my previous pregnancy. We also discussed the possibility of donor eggs...Everyone there from admin to phelobotomists were always very kind...
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Overall I had a good experience with dr pang. I saw him trying to conceive a 2nd child. I initially saw dr Anania at that practice to conceive my first. 3 fresh cycles with dr Anania. Anania left the practice. 1 fresh cycle with pang to achieve singleton pregnancy. He was very upfront that it may not work Since I had poor egg quality and was a couple years since my previous pregnancy. We also discussed the possibility of donor eggs.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pang used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don't remember specifics but I know we used a fairly aggressive approach (i.e. Med's)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone there from admin to phelobotomists were always very kind..

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
Dr. Pauli was a very caring doctor. He was very cautious and explained all the risk to us. Sometimes I wish she had been a bit more aggressive. I really have nothing bad to say about him. It just didn't work and his clinic to get pregnant....The nursing staff [at IVF New England] was very kind and strong at this clinic. I felt like I could call them with any questions and they are always called me back and we're very helpful.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauly was a very caring doctor. He was very cautious and explained all the risk to us. Sometimes I wish she had been a bit more aggressive. I really have nothing bad to say about him. It just didn't work and his clinic to get pregnant.
He's very trustworthy and kind and I really have nothing bad to say about him
He is a very thouthoughtful and caring doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was very kind and strong at this clinic. I felt like I could call them with any questions and they are always called me back and we're very helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic works like a machine. I was able to get in and get my ultrasounds and blood in no time at all every morning. If anything I think this was the best clinic that I experience.
2012 - 2013, Successful
He did a great job of explaining the process and his approach and recommendations, but also always asking what I was comfortable with and willing to adjust the course to meet my personal needs. He answered as many questions as I needed and made me feel like I was in charge of my care.
They were on top of things, understanding and compassionate... They knew who I was and catered to my particular circumstances, always making sure that I was on-board with the plan and ready to listen if something wasn't working.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
Ask lots of questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They were on top of things, understanding and compassionate.
2012 - 2013, Successful
She [Dr. DiGirolamo] was very direct but always positive and reassuring. Took as long as we needed in each appointment to discuss the details of my treatment and our feelings... Even though she was wonderful you always need to be involved with the process and ask questions.
I was not treated like just another patient [at IVF New England] and I always spoke to someone about my care. I have friends who would have to log into a system to learn about their doses and next steps. I always spoke directly to a nurse. How kind and understanding they[ the nurses] were.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She was very direct but always positive and reassuring. Took as long as we needed in each appointment to discuss the details of my treatment and our feelings.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
How kind and understanding they were. I was not treated like just another patient and I always spoke to someone about my care. I have friends who would have to log into a system to learn about their doses and next steps. I always spoke directly to a nurse.
Carla DiGirolamo
2013, Successful
Everything explained to me with a very caring staff...I think he [Dr. Benjamin Lannon] was great checked my uterus before treatment began found fibroids and removed them...[Boston IVF] Needs more locations but other than that no complaints
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
I think he was great checked my uterus before treatment began found fibroids and removed them
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Read about ivf before you go in
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Everything explained to me with a very caring staff
Describe the protocols Benjamin Lannon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
The uterine scan was very smart
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Sweet and cheering for me the whole time
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Needs more locations but other than that no complaints
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF.
None my insurance paid
Benjamin Lannon

2008 - 2012, Successful
I would not have had the results I had and the positive experience I had (despite nearly 4 years of various treatments) without the support and expertise of Dr. David Ryley...At that point, while he told me he would be happy to have me continue to try with my own eggs, he also suggested that I consider egg donation to increase my odds. After some reflection, that's what I did - and he was supportive with information and with just being there all along the nearly 4 years it took for me ultimately to bring my daughter home (had prior complications related to endometriosis and started the process of becoming a single mother by choice later in life).
My nurse coordinator [at Boston IVF] was excellent...I would not have had the results I had and the positive experience I had (despite nearly 4 years of various treatments) without the support and expertise of Dr. David Ryley...Great supports in terms of ancillary services like acupuncture on site before/after retrieval, classes and support groups, massage, yoga, nutritionists etc. at the Domar Center that is attached to the main outpatient clinic in Waltham. They do well in terms of managing children coming along (separate family waiting room) and are good at creating a soothing atmosphere.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
If he says he'd recommend moving to more aggressive treatment options, listen and follow his advice right away.
Dr. Ryley was always able to respond and get me laughing even when I was feeling discouraged. At the same time, he was good at being direct and telling me what he did and did not know. He also told me when he thought my chances of pregnancy were low. At that point, while he told me he would be happy to have me continue to try with my own eggs, he also suggested that I consider egg donation to increase my odds. After some reflection, that's what I did - and he was supportive with information and with just being there all along the nearly 4 years it took for me ultimately to bring my daughter home (had prior complications related to endometriosis and started the process of becoming a single mother by choice later in life).
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I started with a long succession of medicated (injectables) IUIs and then moved to a series of IVFs with ICSI. I got pregnant several times but some were clinical pregnancies and one was a miscarriage at 12 weeks. As I turned 43, Dr. Ryley recommended I consider egg donation. I did and decided to proceed. The first donor I chose had not previously donated and despite medical tests indicating everything was fine and a total of 27 eggs retrieved, only 6 fertilized and they were all low quality. I had a strong preference for a single transfer but took his advice and transferred 2 fresh, then 2 frozen and got pregnant with one of the last 2. Unfortunately miscarried at 10 weeks. I almost gave up, but did decide to try one more time with another donor who had successfully donated previously. Got more than 30 eggs, 27 fertilized and 2 of these were discarded due to poor quality. I had one transferred fresh and got pregnant and gave birth to my daughter in 2012 nearly 4 years after I had my first fertility appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
My nurse coordinator was excellent. Once I shifted to egg donation, I got a different nurse coordinator who was just as good. I really relied on them for support and answers to questions. They knew I was doing this on my own and really became my support team. There was only one negative encounter on the nursing staff in my nearly 4 years - and that was a different nurse who was working with me in the context of my first miscarriage who was not particularly sensitive to my direct questions relative to a slowing heartbeat and whether that meant some hope still or no hope. She just was not direct enough for my liking and seemed to not get that I'd rather know.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I think that all told, after insurance, and counting 2 separate egg donors, my cost was a bit below $100K (insurance covered a bunch upfront, but I paid for several IVFs myself and 2 donor egg retrievals, incl. donor and personal medications and 4 transfers)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
This was simply a nurse who helped document the declining heart rate at my first pregnancy. I would have preferred to be told whether that meant no hope or some hope directly. She gave a wishy washy answer that led me to think there was still hope and when I spoke with Dr. Ryley he corrected that to no hope. I would just rather have been told earlier to avoid the uncertainty.
Brighton

2005 - 2012, Successful
He [Dr. Samuel Pang] was very kind and informative. So I mostly saw him only early on at a meeting. Possibly when I did IVF however I do not remember. The earlier in the nurse (Tracy Gentile) at Milford Hospital provided everything. She was exceptional.... I felt as though with any IVF doctor you see them early on in there overseeing her care however you did not see them one on one every time. And I am OK with that.
They seemed to have lots of information for patients, were organized and always available on call if I had questions. I attended the location in Milford for many of my early procedures. Having to go out to Lexington for the IVF procedures was a little scary because it was something different however the clinic was very good about making sure I knew where I was going and what would be done. I went to the Milford clinic not the Worcester clinic, all my comments going forward will be for the Milford clinic.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
He was very kind and informative. So I mostly saw him only early on at a meeting. Possibly when I did IVF however I do not remember. The earlier in the nurse (Tracy Gentile) at Milford Hospital provided everything. She was exceptional.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Experience very personal care specifically by the fertility nurse who worked at Milford Hospital. Met with her one on one for IUI's and she did all the calls personally to let me know of the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tracy Gentile)
Tracey Gentile was awesome. I got to the point where I only wanted to speak with her and wish I could've taken her along with me when I did the IVF treatments in Lexington. She was the one who gave me the bad news when I was not pregnant and I was happy that she was the one who is able to give me the good news when I was pregnant. She was kind and patient specifically during IUI's.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pang at Boston IVF.
We have insurance that covered most of all the procedures. I had to cover co-pays for medications.
Describe Samuel Pang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I thought Dr. pang explained pros and cons to single or multiple embryo transfer very well. However, most people do not understand the potential risks of carrying multiples, and the challenges with having them.
Milford

2011 - 2012, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Glatstein] seemed like a really smart guy, but was incredibly condescending, treating me and my husband like we were idiots, despite our advanced degrees in fields related to science. Mostly we felt like an inconvenience to him and our IUI was merely part of the process to get us to IVF. He screwed up one of my injectible cycles by lack of careful monitoring as well and triggered me at 14mm, which was unlikely to result in success...
Overall a very modern clinic [at IVF New England - Lex] with a massive patient base that they churn out like a factory, at least if you're only doing IUI (I've met patients who had better experiences there with IVF). Wait times for blood draws and monitoring are incredibly long. The phlebotamists managed to bruise me every single draw. Nurses were wonderful, financial coordinator was amazing, doctors were meh...
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
He seemed like a really smart guy, but was incredibly condescending, treating me and my husband like we were idiots, despite our advanced degrees in fields related to science. Mostly we felt like an inconvenience to him and our IUI was merely part of the process to get us to IVF. He screwed up one of my injectible cycles by lack of careful monitoring as well and triggered me at 14mm, which was unlikely to result in success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Avoid him.
Describe the protocols Isaac Glatstein used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
My protocol looked identical to everyone else's despite my being "unexplained" and most people having real diagnoses. Despite no reason why I should fail with IUI, I only got bfns after 5 IUIs. No further diagnostics were offered, only push towards IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was great, the heart of this clinic. Given the number of patients per doctor, this place wouldn't function at all if it weren't for the nurses picking up all the logistical work and patient management.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Overall a very modern clinic with a massive patient base that they churn out like a factory, at least if you're only doing IUI (I've met patients who had better experiences there with IVF). Wait times for blood draws and monitoring are incredibly long. The phlebotamists managed to bruise me every single draw. Nurses were wonderful, financial coordinator was amazing, doctors were meh.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Overall, decently well run from a logistics perspective (aside from wait times for blood draws and ultrasounds), but mistakes happen likely due to patient volume.
Isaac Glatstein

2009 - 2011, Successful
She [Dr. Rita Sneeringer] is open, compassionate and honest. Ask her whatever you want and she will give you a straight answer...She explained everything clearly, including treatment strategies. She was compassionate and relatable. Every step of the way I felt she was making decisions based on current research and my unique situation....She tweaked each cycle based on the results of the last. I think the transfer MDs also play a huge roll. Some transfers didn't seem great but the last one you could tell the doctors thought the embryos were placed perfectly and bingo!
Strength [of Boston IVF]: There practices seem directly correlated to research. ex. Progesterone taken orally is as effective as intramuscular shots and much easier on patients typically. Weakness: Nothing major. Sometimes hard to have certain assistants call back in a timely fashion....The Post Op nurses (for egg retrieval) as well as the phlebotomists were so compassionate and wonderful. I felt nurtured and they helped keep spirits up. What a great team. I found myself thinking, "It takes a village to make a baby".
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
She is open, compassionate and honest. Ask her whatever you want and she will give you a straight answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
She was very caring, empathic, and smart. She always took the time to listen, understand, and explain.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Given my age we decided quantity might be necessary as quality might not be there. I did respond very well to the meds and produced lots of eggs. The last time (successful cycle) she stimmed a bit more slowly and we got more high quality graded embryos. She tweaked each cycle based on the results of the last. I think the transfer MDs also play a huge roll. Some transfers didn't seem great but the last one you could tell the doctors thought the embryos were placed perfectly and bingo!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strength: There practices seem directly correlated to research. ex. Progesterone taken orally is as effective as intramuscular shots and much easier on patients typically. Weakness: Nothing major. Sometimes hard to have certain assistants call back in a timely fashion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered everything but I have phenomenal insurance and live in Massachusetts where laws force insurance companies to cover infertility treatments. Not sure this is applicable to most people.

2007 - 2011, Successful
He [Dr. Isaac Glatstein] is a very knowledgeable doctor. He knows when a treatment modality is not working and moves on quickly, lessening the time it takes to get pregnant. After 3 cycles on Clomid not working, he immediately moved to injectable medication with IUIs rather than continuing along the same path. After our successful IVF, he met with us the next year to really go over what had happened during that cycle and to plan for future cycles, should we need them.
The clinic [IVF New England] works with your insurance company, they are communicative and professional. I always felt welcome and well cared for no matter why I was in the office. I loved the clinic staff!... It always took them [the nurses] what seemed like ages to call with the results of that morning's testing. Though obviously they are at the mercy of the lab, I felt like I could have been notified sooner of results. Other than that, they were very supportive and helpful.
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
He is a very knowledgeable doctor. He knows when a treatment modality is not working and moves on quickly, lessening the time it takes to get pregnant. After 3 cycles on Clomid not working, he immediately moved to injectable medication with IUIs rather than continuing along the same path. After our successful IVF, he met with us the next year to really go over what had happened during that cycle and to plan for future cycles, should we need them.
Ask questions! He will always answer them to the best of his ability.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
The doctor himself called me during the cycle that I had my miscarriage. Rather than have a nurse report the numbers and results to me, he phoned me himself. That seemed incredible to me.
I did 3 low dose Clomid cycles, which were monitored, but no IUIs. I then did a Follistim with IUI cycle which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The cycle after that he did a natural cycle with IUI, which did not result in pregnancy. After that we did 3 more Follistim with IUI cycles. We were only going to do 2 and then proceed to IVF, but it was taking my insurance too long to approve us for IVF, so he decided to do another IUI while we waited. Our one IVF cycle worked and we had twins. During that cycle he gave me very low doses of hormones, because during my first IUI cycle I hyperstimulated. So they only retrieved 8 eggs. Most of them fertilized but were abnormal. We were left with 2 normally growing embryos, and we decided to transfer both of them, as one was not such a great quality and probably would not have made it to freeze. Both embryos took, and we had twins!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
It always took them what seemed like ages to call with the results of that morning's testing. Though obviously they are at the mercy of the lab, I felt like I could have been notified sooner of results. Other than that, they were very supportive and helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic works with your insurance company, they are communicative and professional. I always felt welcome and well cared for no matter why I was in the office. I loved the clinic staff!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF.
Most of it was taken care of by my insurance company as well as a small grant given by a community agency. I believe I paid about $500 for my IVF cycle. I don't remember how much I paid for my medications, but it was not much.
Describe Isaac Glatstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr Glatstein would definitely do eSET. We chose to transfer multiple embryos solely because of their quality and the number we had.
Isaac Glatstein
2004 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Penzias treated us twice- 3 years apart- when we were trying to get pregnant. With unexplained infertility, he was ready to be aggressive when were were and slow down when we wanted. He fought with the insurance company to get a GIFT cycle approved... He was kind, personable, compassionate, friendly...He was kind, friendly, compassionate, good sense of humor (very important to us), handled tears and emotions from us really well. He moved at our speed which was somewhat aggressive.
[The nurse at Boston IVF - RSC - Waltham] was kind and funny. We have a strange sense of humor and joked with her about being in the room with us while we were trying to get pregnant. When she called with negative pregnancy results, she was so warm and understanding....Everything was covered by insurance in the great state of MA...It was so long ago, it's hard for me to know or remember [more about the clinic].
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He was kind, friendly, compassionate, good sense of humor (very important to us), handled tears and emotions from us really well. He moved at our speed which was somewhat aggressive. Encouraged us to do a mind/body program at Harvard which was happening in 2001.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias treated us twice- 3 years apart- when we were trying to get pregnant. With unexplained infertility, he was ready to be aggressive when were were and slow down when we wanted. He fought with the insurance company to get a GIFT cycle approved but we found out we were pregnant (naturally or post IVF cycle, who really knows?) and didn't need to go that far. He was kind, personable, compassionate, friendly...
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
This was a long time ago. I know that I did 3 cycles of chlomid with my ob/gyn and then she referred us out. On the 3rd IUI cycle in 1998, we got pregnant and had a child in 1999 (after a chemical pregnancy the month before). 2 years late we went back and after 3 failed IUI cycles, we did 3 IVF cycles, None worked, but the following month after the IVF cycle, we were pregnant (we had been approved for a GIFT cycle and were pursuing adoption).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I don't remember the name, but she was kind and funny. We have a strange sense of humor and joked with her about being in the room with us while we were trying to get pregnant. When she called with negative pregnancy results, she was so warm and understanding.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It was so long ago, it's hard for me to know or remember. Also they moved towards the end of my treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Everything was covered by insurance in the great state of MA
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He was willing to put in a few embyos based on our comfort level with multiples
Alan S. Penzias

2009 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Keith Isaacson was exceptional from the start. He was knowledgeable, skilled, warm, and thoughtful. He established the protocols and adjusted them in an impressive way and well above my experience with previous providers. His care was superb...My cycles were largely covered by my insurance thanks to a successful appeal done by Dr. Isaacson and his team...After spending 22 cycles and two years trying to get pregnant the first time, it was a wonderful experience with both him and his team
RSC Lexington no longer exists independently. It was a busy place yet gave good individual attention. I was sorry to see that it had merged with a larger organization [Boston IVF]...The nursing staff and my care coordinator were available, good teachers, thorough and organized in setting up and following through on all the protocols and guiding me through them.
How was your experience with Keith Isaacson at Boston IVF?
Dr. Keith Isaacson was exceptional from the start. He was knowledgeable, skilled, warm, and thoughtful. He established the protocols and adjusted them in an impressive way and well above my experience with previous providers. His care was superb. I have and would recommend him --- I will be forever grateful at the miracle he allowed to happen in my life.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Keith Isaacson at Boston IVF?
Find where he works and try to be under his care. I have the utmost respect for him and his skills.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Keith Isaacson at Boston IVF?
Dr. Isaacson was warm, kind and straightforward. He listened well and set up a plan that quickly led to my second pregnancy and live birth of a healthy child. After spending 22 cycles and two years trying to get pregnant the first time, it was a wonderful experience with both him and his team.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
RSC Lexington no longer exists independently. It was a busy place yet gave good individual attention. I was sorry to see that it had merged with a larger organization.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Keith Isaacson at Boston IVF.
My cycles were largely covered by my insurance thanks to a successful appeal done by Dr. Isaacson and his team. My primary costs were for donor sperm and its storage.
Keith Isaacson
2011, Successful
Dr. Bayer was attentive and flexible. I suggested back to back IUIs on my last cycle and he was willing to do this although was not what the initial plan was. He was always very calm in delivery of information as well as very patient...I had 3 IUIS, the third was a back to back (2 days in a row) IUI. I tried Clomid for the first IUI cycle but it affected my mood too greatly so switched to a different medication. Back to Back IUI is what ultimately resulted in a successful pregnancy.
...with Dr. Sneeringer, I have received conflicting messages about IVF protocol...It's like a factory, as is very big and they churn out blood work and ultrasounds in the morning, particularly. If you are not on time,usually you have to wait but they will double and triple book for blood work and ultrasounds. Wish it was a bit more intimate and private in his waiting area....
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
No advice because you are truly in good hands but asking questions , as many as you need to fully understand, is always a good rule of thumb with any doctor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
His support staff were wonderful as well as he. Very warm and attentive.
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
Excellent. Nothing less. I am going through fertility tx currently with another doctor (because Dr. Bayer's office moved to Brookline :( and it was way too far for me) and the current nursing staff is not as good as Dr. Bayers.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Just copays and deductible. My insurance covered
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
It was not with Dr. Bayer but currently in working with Dr. Sneeringer, I have received conflicting messages about IVF protocol.
Steven Bayer
2004 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Oskowitz spoke warmly and individually. We were never rushed... He's a bit formal, very appropriate, and very knowledgeable. He's been doing this a long time. He isn't mushy or warm, but is very kind and smart...Gonal F for ovulation induction (I have PCOS and was probably not ovulating)...It was a great experience working with him...His nurse Karen was sweet and warm. He also worked with a nurse practitioner we really liked.
It's [Boston IVF] organized as a cluster of mini private practices within a larger office. You see your doctor, your nurse (and in my case, your nurse practitioner, though just saw her once, b/c we were successful the first cycle). There is an insurance person for the whole practice who helps navigate all of that. I love this practice..nurse Karen was sweet and warm... And the phlebotomists were so kind and skilled that I wrote a note the supervisor who read it at a staff meeting. Love this practice.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
He's a bit formal, very appropriate, and very knowledgeable. He's been doing this a long time. He isn't mushy or warm, but is very kind and smart. I absolutely loved this practice and have recommended it to many people.
I can't think of anything. It was a great experience working with him, after a terrible one.
Dr. Oskowitz spoke warmly and individually. We were never rushed. His nurse Karen was sweet and warm. He also worked with a nurse practitioner we really liked. And the phlebotomists were so kind and skilled that I wrote a note the supervisor who read it at a staff meeting. Love this practice.
Describe the protocols Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Gonal F for ovulation induction (I have PCOS and was probably not ovulating), and IUI just to cover the bases in case we had to go to IVF b/c my insurance would only do IVF after three IUI cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
I loved her. She was sweet, organized, and caring.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's organized as a cluster of mini private practices within a larger office. You see your doctor, your nurse (and in my case, your nurse practitioner, though just saw her once, b/c we were successful the first cycle). There is an insurance person for the whole practice who helps navigate all of that. I love this practice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF.
None--I think everything was covered by our insurance in MA.

2009 - 2011, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Was invested in my care. Compassionate but practical. Honest.
Hardly ever the same RN calling with instructions...No privacy at RSC - big room with multiple beds, curtains open for before and after transfer.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Boston IVF?
Was invested in my care. Compassionate but practical. Honest.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Lee at Boston IVF?
Is committed to her patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Lee at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lee was invested in our care
Describe the protocols Grace Lee used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Various protocols, varying degrees of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Depended on which nurse you got, some were ok, some just plain bad. Some not compassionate, or organized, or helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Many locations, which didn't help with coordination of care. Hardly ever the same RN calling with instructions. Procedures done at RSC New England in Lexington. No privacy at RSC - big room with multiple beds, curtains open for before and after transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
MD would sometimes call with test results and instructions to make another appt., but it was impossible to make the appt. on a weekend. The main desk would say they were closed when they were not, and you couldn't get though to the fertility dept. Very frustrating
Grace Lee

2011, Unsuccessful
I did not have much communication with the doctor [Rita Sneeringer] other than the initial consult and then a meeting at the end to review the cycle. She did not attempt to connect to us or help make us feel comfortable with the situation we were about to go through...
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] was unremarkable and not particularly memorable. Don't have many comments about them. I do remember the testing staff, particularly ultrasound technicians telling me not to complain if I was experiencing pain...Very focused on the money, they run behind on appointments for retrieval and transfer. The testing staff was never very friendly, phlebotomists and ultrasound technicians jump to my mind.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I did not have much communication with the doctor other than the initial consult and then a meeting at the end to review the cycle. She did not attempt to connect to us or help make us feel comfortable with the situation we were about to go through
Ask for a lot of questions and be very comfortable before proceeding
The doctor did not in any time try to connect and Boston IVF was always sending bills, even ones that were incorrect
Lupron with GonalF
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was unremarkable and not particularly memorable. Don't have many comments about them. I do remember the testing staff, particularly ultrasound technicians telling me not to complain if I was experiencing pain.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
It ran well and you could be in and out soon, but the technicians were not friendly

2010 - 2011, Successful
He [Dr. Ryley] always gave me time to mourn and was a true advocate for me when we had so many unsuccessful IVF attempts and my husband wasn't really understanding. Ryley actaully made a comment that I was being tortured if I were to have another IVF attempt. He was caring and compassionate and realistic when he needed to be...He was compassionate. Even though he shared devastating and heartbreaking news about my own fertility, I felt like he understood as best he could...
Great communicators [at Boston IVF - RSC - Bos]. Organized. Private. Resources. Compassionate.I lived in MA so Insurence covered soooo much. We had a few co-pays, but all the services totaled to over $100k. When our Insurence rejected to pay for IVF when we used donor eggs, Ryley advocated for us- sent a letter explains why medically they should pay. It worked and they reversed their decision...
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He always gave me time to mourn and was a true advocate for me when we had so many unsuccessful IVF attempts and my husband wasn't really understanding. Ryley actaully made a comment that I was being tortured if I were to have another IVF attempt. He was caring and compassionate and realistic when he needed to be.
He was wonderful. Be prepared for anything unexpected and always have faith.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Great communicators. Organized. Private. Resources. Compassionate.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
2006 - 2011, Successful
[Dr. Selwyn Oskowitz was] professional and straight forward. Not warm and fuzzy. I felt like he would get the job done...It was a busy practice, but I felt like I was treated professionally and appropriately. I mostly saw his NP who provided the most "human" contact...There were some insurance coverage mix ups [at Boston IVF] but they got worked out. The clinic was great about doing early morning before work ultrasounds and blood draws.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
Professional and straight forward. Not warm and fuzzy. I felt like he would get the job done. I am now filling in more words to get to 200 characters. How much more do I have to write? I think there is a glitch. He was professional and straight forward. I am a physician so I was not expecting or needing more.
He is professional and straight forward.
It was 2007, we used basic protocols as I was a single woman with no speicific fertility issues other than age at 39 and being single.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was kind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
There were some insurance coverage mix ups but they got worked out. The clinic was great about doing early morning before work ultrasounds and blood draws.
Copays, insurance covered.

2009 - 2011, Successful
She [Dr. Huang] took the time to talk with me and wasn't in a rush... We chose her because a friend highly recommended her. We liked her and felt confident having her for a doctor. It was a little strange when she apologized when we found out we were pregnant with twins because we were thrilled and somehow she thought we'd be disappointed...She wasn't the warmest doctor I've ever had, but she is really good...
7-8 years ago they [IVF New England] had a few practices that were not very lgbt friendly... like I'm my wife had to take a pregnancy test & an HIV test...She [the nurse] was great. More friendly than the doctor...
How was your experience with Pei-Li Huang at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pei-Li Huang at Boston IVF?
She wasn't the warmest doctor I've ever had, but she is really good.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pei-Li Huang at Boston IVF?
She took the time to talk with me and wasn't in a rush.
Describe the protocols Pei-Li Huang used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
It was a long time ago. Sorry.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
She was great. More friendly than the doctor.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
7-8 years ago they had a few practices that were not very lgbt friendly... like I'm my wife had to take a pregnancy test & an HIV test.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pei-Li Huang at Boston IVF.
Pei-Li Huang
2010 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Sneeringer was very accessible. If I had a question, she would always call me back, even if it seemed like the nurses could answer it...I had a lot of anxiety during the treatments and it was an incredibly difficult time in my life. She was very empathetic and provided lots of resources to help me out.
Scheduling all the diagnostic tests was difficult with my teaching schedule-- plan well in advance. [Boston IVF nurses had] empathy and respect for timing (they knew and appreciated that everyone is very busy).
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
She was very accessible. If I had a question, she would always call me back, even if it seemed like the nurses could answer it. She was kind and compassionate and performed all my procedures except for one.
I never felt like our appointments were rushed. She took as long as we needed to answer all of our questions and went through all of the procedures thoroughly. I had a lot of anxiety during the treatments and it was an incredibly difficult time in my life. She was very empathetic and provided lots of resources to help me out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Empathy and respect for timing (they knew and appreciated that everyone is very busy)
2005 - 2011, Successful
Brian Berger is a wonderful doctor and has a great bedside manner. Kind, funny, calm and wicked smart....Brian is awesome. From start to finish he patiently answered all of our questions, anticipated our concerns in advance, and was so knowledgeable. He is so skilled at problem solving, even when the answer was out of reach to us, he put us at ease every step of the way. We knew we were seeing the best doctor around...Ask all the questions. Don't hesitate!
I have no complaints. I love Boston IVF in Waltham!...I didn't work with them [the nursing staff] too frequently but when I did they were professional, knowledgeable, empathetic and kind...[Dr. Brian Berger] is awesome. From start to finish he patiently answered all of our questions, anticipated our concerns in advance, and was so knowledgeable. He is so skilled at problem solving, even when the answer was out of reach to us, he put us at ease every step of the way. We knew we were seeing the best doctor around.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Ask all the questions. Don't hesitate!
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I'm sorry I don't remember.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I didn't work with them too frequently but when I did they were professional, knowledgeable, empathetic and kind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I have no complaints. I love Boston IVF in Waltham!
2003 - 2010, Successful
Dr. Ozkowitz is not necessarily overtly warm, yet the care he has for his patients is nonetheless obvious and he is wise and careful in his treatment plan....Dr. Oskowitz made a very astute plan as treatment evolved and after initial failure (and although the primary diagnosis of PCO was fairly standard there was unexplained poor egg quality that required some further finesse and analysis). The end result was 2 beautiful girls who are now 13 and 16. I can only imagine in the decade plus since my treatment, technology and care has continued to improve.
With my first child, I was treated [at BostonIVF] only for PCO with injections and eventually a successful IUI. It was discovered in my first pregnancy that I have an incompetent cervix which made me a high risk pregnancy. It also made it impossible for me to carry twins. So when it was time to attempt conceiving my 2nd pregnancy, we went straight to IVF to control the number of embryos implanted (only 1 at a time) to ensure I didn't have twins.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
Not to expect a big bear hug, that's not his personality, but he is a very good doctor.
Because the care was personal and appropriate for my situation. Dr. Oskowitz made a very astute plan as treatment evolved and after initial failure (and although the primary diagnosis of PCO was fairly standard there was unexplained poor egg quality that required some further finesse and analysis). The end result was 2 beautiful girls who are now 13 and 16. I can only imagine in the decade plus since my treatment, technology and care has continued to improve.
With my first child, I was treated only for PCO with injections and eventually a successful IUI. It was discovered in my first pregnancy that I have an incompetent cervix which made me a high risk pregnancy. It also made it impossible for me to carry twins. So when it was time to attempt conceiving my 2nd pregnancy, we went straight to IVF to control the number of embryos implanted (only 1 at a time) to ensure I didn't have twins. What we found out when I went through IVF was that for an unexplained reason the embryos were poor quality. After 2 unsuccessful IVF treatments (and sorry, I just realized I put 2 IVF cycles in the questionnaire but it was actually 3), he recommended we wait until day 5 for transfer to really understand which embryo was good enough quality to survive. Only 1 embryo survived to day 5, and she is now almost 14. His treatment plan was a success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I cannot remember the names now, treatment was a while ago, but the nurses were wonderful.
Covered by my insurance.