Merle Berger

Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2015, Unsuccessful
They [IVF New England] required two vials of sperm for IVF even though I only had one vial of my son's donor left and told them flat out that I would not be using the second vial. They still required two...I didn't get the results I wanted but she was a good doctor. She adjusted treatments as needed and was willing to try new things. She had good availability for appointments...She took the time time to individualize treatment plans...Highest doses of follistim for estrogen priming protocol and an antagonist protocol. She did refuse to admit that I was oversuppressd by BCP on my first cycle. But was willing to forgo them on the second cycle.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She took the time time to individualize treatment plans.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They required two vials of sperm for IVF even though I only had one vial of my son's donor left and told them flat out that I would not be using the second vial. They still required two.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Reasonable and competitive.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Beta results were not always same day.
Kerri Luzzo
2015, Successful
David Ryley was a mensch. He seemed to really care about me and my husband. He encouraged us and gave us hope. He added humor to every discussion which really alleviated any tension. One part of the process that we were surprised about was how sick I felt after the retrieval. No one explained that that could happen. Over he is a Great guy!
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Make sure to. Ring your sense of humor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He was personable, got to know us and was honest
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
IuI, egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They were amazing and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They discourage that you bring children there but if you have no chcildcate, it's very difficult.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He was reserved, knowledgeable, clearly an expert, but not warm at all. I trusted him, but did not like how negative he was....Be aware for bluntness, and not a lot of compassion. Also, he does not perform many of the actual procedures.
They [the nurses] were very nice. The main nurse I dealt with was very repetitive....He [Dr Oskowitz] was reserved, knowledgeable, clearly an expert, but not warm at all. I trusted him, but did not like how negative he was.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired) at Boston IVF?
He knew who I was and about my case, but his bedside manner was gruff andkind of negative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
They were very nice. The main nurse I dealt with was very repetitive. Maybe she found that necessary. I found hearing something three times unnecessary.
Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired)

2013 - 2014, Successful
Nurses [at Boston IVF] were organized, had a sense of humor, especially with the transvaginal ultrasounds would could be awkward otherwise. Sometimes the blood draws & scans felt like you were just a number, but you kind of are, in a good way. They do this all day, so they know how to get in and get out without doing anything painful.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli is fantastic. We had male factor infertility. He did not overpromise results. He explained all our options in detail and was not overly rosy about it. When he did procedures like the saline ultrasound and embryo transfer, it didn't hurt at all, unlike the previous doctor I had who did my HSG. It's been almost three years since I've seen him, so I may have glossed over some negative things, since we have a baby now, but we plan to go back to him when we want to grow our family again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Ask him all your questions, including asking what he thinks you should do. He has your best interest in mind - balancing the impact on your body with the likelihood of successful live birth.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
I was treated with respect at this high volume clinic. It was reassuring to know that all of the procedures were mundane for them because they do them so often. Scheduling was amazing, I could come in early in the morning, get my blood tests and scans done right away and be on my way. Like a well-oiled machine. It was exactly the balance I wanted.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We had a pretty standard treatment of IVF with ICSI. I ovulate normally so it was straightforward. It's been 3.5 years so I forget a lot of it. I was on lupron for a while, then something else was added that had to be refrigerated. I was being monitored closely for overstimulation because that happened when my former OBGYN in Indiana prescribed me clomid. I had no problems with Dr. Pauli's treatment, and it worked in one round to bring us our daughter, probably a factor of my young age and it being a sperm issue.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nurses were organized, had a sense of humor, especially with the transvaginal ultrasounds would could be awkward otherwise. Sometimes the blood draws & scans felt like you were just a number, but you kind of are, in a good way. They do this all day, so they know how to get in and get out without doing anything painful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
This is a high volume clinic. They have early morning availability for lab tests, which is really helpful when you are working full time. The only thing I felt was lacking was the psychological support. That was just one phone call from a nurse while I was at work, and she left a message, but I could not reach anyone after work hours. I could have used an evening call.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
I had a high deductible plan, so once I paid my deductible that was it. When I saw the retail prices of treatments and visits that my insurer paid they weren't as high as I thought they would be.

2014, Successful
Though he doesn't have the warmest bedside manner, he did explain everything very thoroughly gave me the opportunity to get all my questions answered...He was the second doctor I went to. I was unsatisfied that my first doctor was recommending the same course of treatment after 3 failed fresh transferred and 2 failed frozen transfers. Dr. Pauli on the other hand recommended genetic testing of the embryos, which I believe was the key to success for us.
My big complaint with the [IVF New England] nurses was that I had a very heavy bleeding event at the beginning of my pregnancy. I assumed I had a miscarriage but didn't know what I should do. I called the nurses line and left a message and they did not call me back until many hours later. When she called she asked me if I had been to the ER and then told me to go. Amazingly, I found out in the ER that the fetus was fine. I think they should do a better job of returning urgent calls right away. I was very unhappy with that experience, since I spent half the day laying on the couch thinking I lost the baby.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
I am very happy with Dr. Pauli and recommended him to a friend who also had success. He was the second doctor I went to. I was unsatisfied that my first doctor was recommending the same course of treatment after 3 failed fresh transfered and 2 failed frozen transfers. Dr. Pauli on the other hand recommended genetic testing of the embryos, which I believe was the key to success for us.
I don't remember specifics of the successful cycle, except that PGS was done to genetically screen the embryos.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
My big complaint with the nurses was that I had a very heavy bleeding event at the beginning of my pregnancy. I assumed I had a miscarriage but didn't know what I should do. I called the nurses line and left a message and they did not call me back until many hours later. When she called she asked me if I had been to the ER and then told me to go. Amazingly, I found out in the ER that the fetus was fine. I think they should do a better job of returning urgent calls right away. I was very unhappy with that experience, since I spent half the day laying on the couch thinking I lost the baby.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is fine, it's run well and efficiently. I have no complaints.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
They forgot to call in a prescription to the pharmacy for a clomid challenge test. I had forgotten to take the clomid on time anyway, so it ended up being my fault that I had to delay the test to the next month.
2013 - 2014, Successful
She [Dr. Wright] was amazing. She treated us with our own personal situation and was also very professional. Loved her....Sitting in front of her in her office I felt that she looked at us and wanted to help us. She listened to everything we had to say and treated us with so much respect. She was also very professional and we felt that she wanted nothing more than for us to have a baby...The location I had my blood and ultrasound was in Bedford NH and there were always only a few other women there during the monitoring times. I think it was during a time window and I had a specific time to show up during that window so I wasn’t waiting with a room full of women who signed in to get in line.
I felt at ease at the Bedford location [IVF New England]. The women working there were very personal and helped me feel relaxed while there....As far as I remember I could call with questions anytime and I felt very comfortable and at ease at all my appointments....The location I had my blood and ultrasound was in Bedford NH and there were always only a few other women there during the monitoring times. I think it was during a time window and I had a specific time to show up during that window so I wasn’t waiting with a room full of women who signed in to get in line.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Ask any and all questions you may have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
She was amazing. She treated us with our own personal situation and was also very professional. Loved her.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don’t remember. It was my third cycle and it’s all a blur.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I felt at ease at the Bedford location. The women working there were very personal and helped me feel relaxed while there. I can’t think of anything I didn’t like, I have only good feelings about them.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
As far as I can remember, the cycle cost us 10,000 plus meds. Could be 11,000? It’s a blur. Our insurance doesn’t cover IVF and it was our third out of pocket cycle.
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
She told us we had the choice between transferring one or two embryos. She recommended whichever we felt the most comfortable with. She did make sure we knew that if we transferred two, we may have twins, making sure we thought that through before moving forward.

2014, Unsuccessful
Wished she did the following: 1. Cared more about me as a patient. 2. Shown that she cared by responding to phone calls instead of making patients wait for an office visit. 3. Listened to what patients have researched and used that information to help put it into practice...I felt I was treated like a number because anytime that I wanted to speak with Dr. DiGirolamo, I had to go in for an office visit. After failed IVFs cycles with Dr. DiGirolamo, I did a lot of research on my own and had suggested using the information I found. She was not open to it. With this same information, I worked with another doctor at New England IVF and was successful on the first try.
There are some great doctors at New England IVF. Do your research on who you'd like to work with because it does make a difference. It is an emotional time and you'll need the support...Strength: Very well organized, the doctors and nurses are specialized in their areas. They do respect your privacy. Weakness: Hard to reach doctor directly. Had to go through the nurses and can take a couple of days before doctor contacted you back. However, this may be doctor specific.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
There are other doctors at New England IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Three different protocols. Mainly to stimulate to obtain the most amount of eggs that can be retrieved.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were very organized and supportive. They showed compassion and tried to answer your questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
Each IVF cycle was around $20K.
Carla DiGirolamo

2014, Successful
Every interaction with Dr. Ryley was great. He was thorough and very patient. He did not, however, do our procedures, as that was always based on whoever was in the OR on the day of a scheduled transfer.
I thought that every person I encountered on the [Boston IVF nursing staff] was competent and thorough. They all knew what they were doing and many of them showed great compassion at times when things did not go well for us.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Every interaction with Dr. Ryley was great. He was thorough and very patient. I never felt rushed out of his office. He did not, however, do our procedures, as that was always based on whoever was in the OR on the day of a scheduled transfer. I would have liked for him to do our procedures.
I would say to make it clear to his staff when you want to speak to him directly. His team of nurses are very competent and often handle many things themselves. If you want his opinion directly (not just through the nurses), you should feel comfortable asking to speak to him directly. They will accommodate that.
Dr Ryley and his team were thoughtful, kind and helpful throughout the process. Despite two unsuccessful IVF attempts, Dr. Ryley was very clear that he never gave up hope and that he was there to help us throughout.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I thought that every person I encountered on the nursing staff was competent and thorough. They all knew what they were doing and many of them showed great compassion at times when things did not go well for us. They also were very happy for us when things were going well.
2014, Successful
After trying numerous IUI procedures with a failing result, we attempted the "mini IVF" (no injectables) [with Dr. Benjamin Lannon], just so we could potentially lower the cost before going all the way in. It was discovered that my ovaries were not reacting to the medication and the injectables were needed, so we attempted a full IVF and had success!...He treated me as an individual and determined what was best for me specifically.
Because we qualified for a discount, we paid $5,900 for our full IVF cycle [at Boston IVF] and $3,000 for the medications...Strengths would be the open mindedness of the clinic and the fact that they were willing to let us try other options first before doing the full IVF (such as doing the "mini IVF" to help us save on cost). We were also granted with a discount for our IVF cycle, which was extremely helpful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is a terrific doctor. He is honest and straight to the point, yet very comforting and helpful. He made sure we understood every procedure before anything was performed and was willing to work with us and allow us to try whatever we felt comfortable with.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Keep an open mind!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
I was treated really well under Dr. Lannon's care. He treated me as an individual and determined what was best for me specifically.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Lannon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
After trying numerous IUI procedures with a failing result, we attempted the "mini IVF" (no injectables), just so we could potentially lower the cost before going all the way in. It was discovered that my ovaries were not reacting to the medication and the injectables were needed, so we attempted a full IVF and had success!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF.
Because we qualified for a discount, we paid $5,900 for our full IVF cycle and $3,000 for the medications. I cannot remember how much the "mini IVF" was, but it was $400 per IUI cycle.

2014, Successful
He [Dr. Pauli] was excellent, explained well and walked us through everything thoroughly, friendly and helpful. We had 3 medicated IUI cycles and although he thought the third may not be successful, and set us up for IVF, it took and now we have a beautiful 22 month old son. We thought he was an excellent Dr...
Friendly staff [at IVF New England], great lab, but sometimes they were so busy the ultrasounds were running late. All the donographers and blood techs were very nice, and professional...I was lucky my insurance covered most of our treatment costs...
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He was excellent, explained well and walked us through everything thoroughly, friendly and helpful. We had 3 medicated IUI cycles and although he thought the third may not be successful, and set us up for IVF, it took and now we have a beautiful 22 month old son. We thought he was an excellent Dr.
We had 3 medicated IUI cycles, the first 2 with clomid didn't take well, so on the third dr. Pauli suggested switching to Femera, he thought this might produce more follicles and a better quality egg for insemination. During the cycle he wasn't seeing the size follicle he wanted, so he didn't think the insemination would work, but it did!!!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Friendly staff, great lab, but sometimes they were so busy the ultrasounds were running late. All the donographers and blood techs were very nice, and lrofessional
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
I was lucky my insurance covered most of our treatment costs
2014, Unsuccessful
Dr. Berger is a brilliant scientist and warm hearted individual. He, however, is not very good at time management....Frustrating as that may be, it's for good reason. He spends a lot of time with his patients, like my husband and me, after our multiple failed cycles and early pregnancy losses. He always has a plan and customizes it for each patient which of course takes time.
I feel like the care team [at Boston IVF] cares about me as an individual first and foremost....He[Dr. Berger] is also the only Boston IVF Doctor who reviews his own blood work and adjusts medications for each one of his many patients....He's brilliant but frequently behind schedule.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger is a brilliant scientist and warm hearted individual. He, however, is not very good at time management. Unless it is the first appointment of the day, it is unlikely that you will be seen before at least 45 minutes after your appointment (if not 60 or 90 minutes later). Frustrating as that may be, it's for good reason. He spends a lot of time with his patients, like my husband and me, after our multiple failed cycles and early pregnancy losses. He always has a plan and customizes it for each patient which of course takes time. He is also the only Boston IVF Doctor who reviews his own blood work and adjusts medications for each one of his many patients.
Don't make plans for after your appointment. He's brilliant but frequently behind schedule.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I feel like the care team cares about me as an individual first and foremost.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Lamb)
Her level of personal caring for me, even if we weren't actively pursuing treatment.
2012 - 2014, Successful
...my doc [Dr. Oskowitz] was always kind and spent time with us...There are a lot of different doctors and nurses you could see depending on the day. But I did feel like they all cared in their own way, and they try to make it not like a factory, even though with the number of people through the doors, that's kind of what it is...
Listen, Boston IVF is a factory of sorts. They see a LOT of people. And they see a lot of people because they are one of the best. That means that there are a lot of techs who do the blood draws. There are a lot of staff members who welcome you. There are a lot of different doctors and nurses you could see depending on the day. But I did feel like they all cared in their own way, and they try to make it not like a factory, even though with the number of people through the doors, that's kind of what it is. But my doc was always kind and spent time with us. Had a great therapist through the Waltham office. The nurse who explained how to administer the drugs spent lots of time with us. So yes, you are a number. But in my experience, being a number also comes with options and extra help and several locations that might be more convenient depending on whether I'm at home or at the office on the day I need to go in...
Listen, BostonIVF is a factory of sorts. They see a LOT of people. And they see a lot of people because they are one of the best. That means that there are a lot of techs who do the blood draws. There are a lot of staff members who welcome you. There are a lot of different doctors and nurses you could see depending on the day. But I did feel like they all cared in their own way, and they try to make it not like a factory, even though with the number of people through the doors, that's kind of what it is. But my doc was always kind and spent time with us. Had a great therapist through the Waltham office. The nurse who explained how to administer the drugs spent lots of time with us. So yes, you are a number. But in my experience, being a number also comes with options and extra help and several locations that might be more convenient depending on whether I'm at home or at the office on the day I need to go in.
Selwyn Oskowitz (Retired)

2013 - 2014, Successful
Realistic about low chances for IUI but allowed me to try anyway. Encouraging about acupuncture. Warm and supportive.
Facility warm and inviting. Alternative therapies encouraged. Parking convenient. Doctors warm, nurses responsive but more business-like.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Longer appointments [than Brigham], took the time to review treatments thoroughly and ask questions.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
During retrieval I needed ICSI rescue to help fertilize eggs but was not told that that could happen until it did and then needed to make a snap decision that cost me $2,500.
Steven Bayer
Framingham

2013 - 2014, Successful
I felt that they [BostonIVF] deliberately delayed/procrastinated during my second transfer process - unsure of their reasoning, but it was frustrating...[Nurse staff was] pleasant, but a little mechanical...Allison [Zimon] must see a thousand patients per month and she still found a way to remember me & make the experience much more personal...I didn't have to do much since I used a donor egg, but the prep work towasn't terribly difficult...Alison was kind, patient & detailed. The situations she deals with are usually stressful, personal and potentially painful, but she did a very good job of maintaining professionalism while also being empathetic.
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Be patient & don't lose hope!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Allison must see a thousand patients per month and she still found a way to remember me & make the experience much more personal.
Describe the protocols Alison Zimon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Pleasant, but a little mechanical.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Friendly, but still your typical doctor's office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
No insurance, so very high.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I felt that they deliberately delayed/procrastinated during my second transfer process - unsure of their reasoning, but it was frustrating.
Alison Zimon

2014, Unsuccessful
Dr. Wright was compassionate and appeared trustworthy. She shared her expert knowledge and recommendations with us each step of the journey and made adjustments to our plan as needed based on professional analysis of results.... Dr. Wright reviewed our protocol every step of the way and gave recommendations for next steps based on my personal results, as well as next steps based on the fact that we were self pay patients.
This clinic and staff [at IVF New England] made us feel like a valued patient and not just a number. Our care was handled with compassion and expertise. The overall feel of the clinic including the waiting rooms and exam rooms was clean and comfortable.... Dr. Wright reviewed our protocol every step of the way and gave recommendations for next steps based on my personal results, as well as next steps based on the fact that we were self pay patients.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
This clinic and staff made us feel like a valued patient and not just a number. Our care was handled with compassion and expertise. The overall feel of the clinic including the waiting rooms and exam rooms was clean and comfortable.
2011 - 2014, Successful
Investment Banker
He has a Blunt delivery but is trustworthy and results-driven. he can get a little lost in the numbers and probabilities but is still caring. He also adds a little humor to the process.
Practice is always busy and sees a lot of patients. They are not always caring or sensitive of the very difficult time patients are going through. They could make the experience more relaxing and less clinical feeling.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He's not warm and fuzzy and that's ok.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I have a hard time with giving blood because I have small veins that collapse easily. The nurse NEVER had a problem getting a vein.

2012 - 2014, Successful
Dr Pauli was clear, straightforward, experienced. He made adjustments to treatment as the first cycles weren't working as planned. Ultimately, I got pregnant after the 3rd cycle, with 2 embryos to freeze, and got pregnant again with a frozen embryo on the first frozen cycle...Personal phone calls, as needed. Nurses and technicians in the clinic were wonderful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Friendly, helpful, compassionate, straightforward.
Waltham

2013 - 2014, Successful
He [Dr. Lannon] was phenomenal. Made us feel so much at ease. We actually named our son Benjamin. He went above and beyond and really connected with us. Well worth the four and a half hour drive. Never left a doctor appointment feeling sad Or sorry, always hopeful ... He is by far the most genuine doctor we ever saw. He gave us hope ...
Super friendly staff [Boston IVF], many locations, nice office. Understanding of needs and wants, works hard to provide quality care and getting patients in in a timely manner. The whole office is extremely understanding and kind, felt like they really took the time to get to know us ... I believe IUI ran about $1300.00 per. IVF was 8300 plus medications. ... The entire staff was amazing. They worked with us and our long commute. Communicated regularly with us and so helpful
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
He was phenomenal. Made us feel so much at ease. We actually named our son Benjamin. He went above and beyond and really connected with us. Well worth the four and a half hour drive. Never left a doctor appointment feeling sad Or sorry, always hopeful
Call sooner than later, don’t wait. He can help
He is by far the most genuine doctor we ever saw. He gave us hope
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Super friendly staff, many locations, nice office. Understanding of needs and wants, works hard to provide quality care and getting patients in in a timely manner. The whole office is extremely understanding and kind, felt like they really took the time to get to know us
I believe IUI ran about $1300.00 per. IVF was 8300 plus medications.

2013, Successful
I felt like Dr. Zimon really listened to me and took my concerns seriously...She explained everything we needed to know about IVF, the risks, the benefits, and the odds of it working for us. She was cautious going into our first cycle (maybe too cautious) and we found out I was a poor responder to meds. She was open to adjusting my protocol and she was open to trying different things...I met with her several times
The clinic policy [at Boston IVF] was eSET if patient was under 35 and first IVF cycle, so we followed that recommendation for our first transfer...Being at the big clinic was far less personal, but they were organized and usually running on time. For egg retrieval and transfer, you had the doctor that was on that day, not necessarily your usual doctor, so I saw several doctors over my course of care.
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
I came to Dr. Zimon after already being treated by another doctor in another state. I wasn't new to infertility or treatments, so we hit the ground running. We had some insurance hoops to jump through (like trying IUI one more time) and she was patient through all that. She explained everything we needed to know about IVF, the risks, the benefits, and the odds of it working for us. She was cautious going into our first cycle (maybe too cautious) and we found out I was a poor responder to meds. She was open to adjusting my protocol and she was open to trying different things. I met with her several times and she always listened to my concerns and took the time to answer all my questions. She did my first egg retrieval, and we only had one egg retrieved, but she took the time to talk to me about everything and called me personally when that egg didn't fertilize. She celebrated with me when we had successes and shared my disappointment with failed cycles. I felt like she was a good balance between honest and direct but also compassionate. We ultimately ended up with twins after our third retrieval and second transfer, so I'm glad she was willing to try different protocols until we found what worked.
Come to appointments prepared with a list of questions and be ready to take notes. It can be a lot of information at once.
I felt like Dr. Zimon really listened to me and took my concerns seriously. I had already done several rounds of treatment before starting with her, so she respected that I knew what I was talking about and had experience. I never felt rushed at my appointments. Getting bloodwork and ultrasounds done, it was easy to feel more like a 'number' just due to the sheer number of patients they saw at my clinic, but Dr. Zimon was very personable.
First cycle: antagonist protocol. Started low and slow, very little response to meds (Bravelle and Menopur). Tried upping the dosage, with some response. I have some symptoms of PCOS, so I think she was worried I would over-stim, but since I have DOR, that wasn't an issue. Only 1 egg was retrieved and it didn't fertilize, so nothing to transfer that round. Second cycle: no birth control pills taken prior to cycle start, since I was over-suppressed. Switched to an estrogen priming protocol with much better response and upped my dosage of Bravelle, continued Menopur. 8 eggs were retrieved, 5 fertilized. Elective single embryo transfer on day 5, 2 embryos were frozen. Negative pregnancy test. Third cycle: Dr. Zimon recommended another fresh cycle, so we left 2 embryos frozen and did the EPP again. My dose of Bravelle was upped again, I think to the max recommended dose. 6 eggs were retrieved, 4 mature, 2 fertilized. Dr. Zimon recommended a 3 day transfer (clinic policy with less than 4 embryos on day 2). We transferred both embryos on day 3, both were 8 cells. One was good quality and the other was showing some fragmentation. They told us that embryo likely wouldn't survive to day 5, and if it did, wouldn't meet the freeze criteria, so we decided to transfer both. Both embryos implanted and I gave birth to twin girls at 37 weeks 4 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
I loved Karen. She was kind and loving and compassionate. She had been through infertility treatments herself, so her empathy was strong.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I liked that they had early morning appointments for monitoring (starting at 6:45am). The front office staff was always nice. I did most of my cycle monitoring at the South Shore clinic, but weekend monitoring and all procedures were done at the main location in Waltham. Being at the big clinic was far less personal, but they were organized and usually running on time. For egg retrieval and transfer, you had the doctor that was on that day, not necessarily your usual doctor, so I saw several doctors over my course of care. I didn't mind this, I liked the additional perspective on my cycles and they all seemed to be on the same page as far as treatment recommendations. I liked that they had a no-children allowed policy for their clinic waiting rooms.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Monitoring was done first thing in the morning, I liked the early appointments. It was organized and the wait time was never long.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
I think the total cost for the cycle was around $12.500. We had insurance coverage, so our OOP was around $1500. I know ICSI was going to cost us an extra $1500, but our insurance ended up covering it. We were quoted $4500 for PGS, but didn't ended up using it (not recommended based on our diagnosis, but cost would have been prohibitive). Retail for meds was over $6K per cycle, I paid about $1K in co-pays per cycle for meds.
Describe Alison Zimon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
The clinic policy was eSET if patient was under 35 and first IVF cycle, so we followed that recommendation for our first transfer. She seemed very supportive of eSET, especially because we were concerned with the risks of multiples. She explained that the cost of multiple transfers would be potentially less that the cost of a high risk pregnancy and/or premature babies. After our eSET transfer failed, she was open to us transfering 2, but she let us know that the risk of multiples went up more than the probability of pregnancy.
Alison Zimon

2012 - 2013, Successful
David Ryley was a good balance of kind and matter of fact. We wanted to know a lot of background scientific details for tests and procedures, and he always accommodated us. Really The only small downside is that he was not available for in-between visit telephone calls or emails. That just isn't how Boston IVF works - there are nurses on call for that purpose....Be prepared to only see him before you start the cycle, for consultation and planning. You won't see him for any procedures, and if you get pregnant on the first round you'll never see him again.
Boston IVF overall definitely worked like an assembly line, but just about every interaction I had along the way was positive and caring. We only saw Dr. Ryley for a few office visits leading up to our cycle (he didn't actually do any of the procedures himself). We liked his matter of fact, scientific conversations yet he was also very kind and sensitive. Really the only negative feedback would be for his secretary, who could use a bit fine tuning on the patient/customer service soft skills.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Antagonist protocol: Birth control pills, FSH, Ganirelix, HCG, egg retrieval, 5 day transfer of 2 embryos. This was my first and only IVF cycle, which resulted in my identical twin girls (one embryo didn't make it, the other split!).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
At Boston IVF, just about each interaction along the way was with a different provider. This is why I previously likened it to an assembly line. That being said, for the most part everyone was very professional and compassionate. I think I only had 1 or 2 just 'so - so' interactions along the way.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF in Waltham was where I had all of my blood work and procedures. They offered very convenient hours and lots of free parking. The facility was modern and clean.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
I was very lucky, living in MA and having a company sponsored health plan (BCBS MA) that fully covered my fertility treatment for the cycle. I paid almost nothing out of pocket.

2011 - 2013, Successful
[Dr. Pauli was] Professional, caring, warm, honest, direct, informative. Broke things down and spoke in a way we could understand. He also made phone calls after every cycle good or bad to touch base. He seemed genuinely happy on the news of my successful pregnancy thanks to his help. Was very invested in my care. We will forever be thankful for his service to our family. Not a days goes by when I don't think about the miracle of my twins and the many ways that they complete our family w 3 kids.
Location [of IVF New England] worked well for me. Was really lucky to have a first rate option in my same town, as I noticed that others traveled good distances to come there. I can only recall strengths and have no weaknesses to report. I will say that with the distance of time, my recollection of the experience has faded....I think her name was Nicole, but I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering that right. She was fantastic, as were all others filling in when she wasn't available. When I was struggling with things she was emotional on the phone with me and it was clear that she was very invested in my care. I am so thankful for the nurses as well as Dr. Pauli.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
I have chosen not to talk about my treatment with others, which makes that unlikely. With that said, I think I would say to any fertility patients to prepare for an emotional journey that may not be successful. I feel very lucky that my treatment worked because the stats/numbers were not on my side.
I was very comfortable with Dr. Pauli. He was honest, caring and direct. I also felt like since I was in his care for a good amount of time we developed a comfort level and relationship that helped the relationship feel very human.
I really don't remember specifics. I will say that I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks with one cycle and had success with the very next cycle. The first 2 cycles resulted in adjustments that led to success with the 3rd and 4th cycles of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Location worked well for me. Was really lucky to have a first rate option in my same town, as I noticed that others traveled good distances to come there. I can only recall strengths and have no weaknesses to report. I will say that with the distance of time, my recollection of the experience has faded.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
There were plenty of costs due to some insurance changes, but we changed our insurance so that the more expensive IVF procedures were covered.

2013, Successful
I barely interacted with Dr. Gladstein, aside from one introductory appointment, and one after a miscarriage to decide next steps. Most of my interactions with with the nurses...I have no problem with Dr. Glatstein, just no real relationship. I got the sense he was very good at what he did. He provided information, evaluated my circumstances, and made reasonable recommendations during an emotional time.
They [IVF New England] are a large clinic, so your doctor will not likely be the person to do the procedure. This didn't both me given the expertise of the doctors and the need for timeliness, which was always achieved. The biggest concern I would have as a patient would be management of hormone treatment, which was considerably better when working directly with nurses, rather than my first experience, when an outside doctor, Dr. Gary Gross, was coordinating with RSC (now IVF Lexington). This was a terrible experience and I would not recommend to work with an outside provider unless you have an exceptional relationship- the center itself is much more coordinated when all points of care come from them.
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
He's fine, but know that, at least in my case, the nurses matter more.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Isaac Glatstein used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I did injections to stimulate hormones for egg retrieval and then after pregnancy to continue hormone levels to be stable. I also used the vaginal cream after becoming pregnant to sustain estrogen levels (an earlier doctor did not do this). We did needle insemination of sperm into our embryos.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They were willing and able to take calls and communicate frequently. They gave honest information, but didn't sugar coat. I had one failed pregnancy, and one fragile pregnancy, and especially in the latter, it was challenging, but they were there for me, even at odd hours. I had medicine delivered in a snow storm and an appointment at 6 am on a Saturday for an ultrasound after a bleed.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are a large clinic, so your doctor will not likely be the person to do the procedure. This didn't both me given the expertise of the doctors and the need for timeliness, which was always achieved. The biggest concern I would have as a patient would be management of hormone treatment, which was considerably better when working directly with nurses, rather than my first experience, when an outside doctor, Dr. Gary Gross, was coordinating with RSC (now IVF Lexington). This was a terrible experience and I would not recommend to work with an outside provider unless you have an exceptional relationship- the center itself is much more coordinated when all points of care come from them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF.
Our health insurance covered our entire IVF process. It was exceptional, and this policy is no longer offered by husband's employer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My first doctor, Gary Gross, did not communicate the hormone treatment that would be necessary after a positive pregnancy test and did not do testing nearly with the same rigor as the nurses and protocols at RSC. This isn't a problem per se with the clinic, rather than the way, at the time, they coordinated their services with doctors that were not providing the same standard of care.
Isaac Glatstein

2010 - 2013, Unsuccessful
In the one successful round we had, we learned the baby's heart had stopped beating at our last ultrasound before being released to our ob. Dr Pauli [at IVF New England] made sure to schedule my d & c for a day he was performing transfers. À Year after I left his care, I learned I was pregnant spontaneously. I called the clinic to let dr Pauli know, leaving a voicemail not expecting to hear anything. He called me back shortly thereafter and once again was so kind. The fact that we were unable to conceive under his care was not his fault.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr Pauli was great to us. When things didn't work out the way any of expected it to, he was the one to tell us, sometimes going out of his way. One time he even made sure to catch me in the hall before going in for my transfer to give me some not so great news. There were times he called me instead of the nursing staff. I really appreciate that he went out of his way. In the one successful round we had, we learned the baby's heart had stopped beating at our last ultrasound before being released to our ob. Dr Pauli made sure to schedule my d & c for a day he was performing transfers. À Year after I left his care, I learned I was pregnant spontaneously. I called the clinic to let dr Pauli know, leaving a voicemail not expecting to hear anything. He called me back shortly thereafter and once again was so kind. The fact that we were unable to conceive under his care was not his fault.
Take a deep breath and know that it won't be a smooth ride, but Dr P will have your back
Dr Pauli is the kindest, most compassionate doctor. He dealt with us during one of the most difficult times in our lives. He always treated us kindly and gently
We did 6 rounds of Ivf / icsi. I don't remember the details - it was 4 years ago and a lot has happened since
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
She was so sweet. I only met her in person once and she gave me a huge hug
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone that worked there was kind and professional. I particularly liked the woman at the front desk (Kathleen) and one of the ultrasound techs (Deb)
Covered by insurance
2013, Successful
I once went into Dr. Berger's office with a list of 45 questions and he went through all of them. A few times I was anxious in between appointments and he spoke to me by phone.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Brian Berger is a brilliant mind, exceptionally skilled physician, compassionate caregiver, and simply the ONLY doctor to see if you are seeking fertility treatment in the Boston area. Dr. Berger would spend hours in person and by phone explaining things to me over and over to make sure I understood. He always would talk about next steps so I could know that if one thing didn't work, he was thinking about what to do next. I felt that he cared about me and my mindset as well as my results. He is probably the smartest person I have ever met without him having a bit of an ego. He is truly caring and you can tell how deeply passionate he is about helping women conceive. His nurse and the entire team at Boston IVF is phenomenal. Do not go anywhere else if you live in MA.
Bring a list of questions. He will go through it with you. Don't be afraid to ask him anything.
Dr. Berger was extremely patient explaining everything to me. I once went into his office with a list of 45 questions and he went through all of them. A few times I was anxious in between appointments and he spoke to me by phone. Mostly, I felt like he was really committed to my success and really cared about my outcomes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kate)
I adored my nurse Kate. She was so on top of things and was extremely organized and timely with giving me instructions and information. She was very reassuring times when I was stressed and upset. She always called back immediately.
South Shore
2011 - 2013, Successful
Dr. Ryley was honest and incredibly positive, even when we were starting to lose hope...My only issue is that sometimes he talked a bit fast and details were hard to remember. I wish we had pushed more with regard to egg quality, which seemed to be an issue though he assured us it wasn't.
When meeting with Dr. Ryley and the tech's in the Boston IVF Brookline office, I felt like a cared for patient.... Waltham was the complete opposite - children were always there and never in the separate waiting room (hurtful since we were all there with fertility issues!) and it totally felt like a factory.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was honest and incredibly positive, even when we were starting to lose hope. He encouraged us to seek a second opinion when we told him we wanted to and also offered to raise our case at the practice's monthly meeting to see if someone else had ideas to help address our unexplained infertility. My only issue is that sometimes he talked a bit fast and details were hard to remember. I wish we had pushed more wrt egg quality, which seemed to be an issue though he assured us it wasn't.
Be prepared with questions and be honest.
When meeting with Dr. Ryley and the tech's in the Brookline office, I felt like a cared for patient. The phlebotomist at the Brookline office was AMAZING, as were the techs doing the ultrasounds. They talked us through everything and showed us what they were seeing. Waltham was the complete opposite - children were always there and never in the separate waiting room (hurtful since we were all there with fertility issues!) and it totally felt like a factory. The tech's were cold and didn't show us anything and the blood draws were factory-ish and I always left with a bruise.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
In the procedure room they took care of everything and kept track of things, so after the first one, I always got the patch for nausea to help with being sick after retrievals.