6.6

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

We did a freeze all cycle [with Dr. Benjanmin Lannon] due to the risk of OHSS based on my AMH. I stimmed for 8 days, Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix. My estrogen went sky high and it was recommended that I switch to Lupron trigger - however, at the time this was going to cost me an extra $700 so I pleaded to continue with Ovidrel trigger. (I did end up with OHSS). 24 retrieved, 19 fertilized = 6 embryos.
It's [Boston IVF- Maine] small so you will pretty much only work with your nurse and definitely only with your doctor. Because it's small, they do manage cycles to line up with their OR schedule. I wish there were more services available here like acupuncture, mental health, etc. I don't like working with the financial people - I feel like there should be more compassion in that process because it is VERY expensive. They've also raised their prices in the last year.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is kind, funny, and intelligent. He has responded to my questions nearly immediately which I appreciate. He has validated my feelings throughout the entire process and I truly believe he is committed to our success. I believe he works very hard as sometimes he would share results with us in the evening when I know he isn't at work. This was incredible as the waiting period for results is very stressful. I knew as soon as he had them, we'd have them.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Don't be afraid to bring up what you've read/researched. You can really ask all questions you have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon has taken the time to respond to all of my emails, calls, and in person questions/concerns. He was very validating after our first failed transfer and was open to hearing about what I want to explore as next steps but also gave me his expert opinion. The nurses have all been very nice.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Lannon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did a freeze all cycle due to the risk of OHSS based on my AMH. I stimmed for 8 days, Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix. My estrogen went sky high and it was recommended that I switch to Lupron trigger - however, at the time this was going to cost me an extra $700 so I pleaded to continue with Ovidrel trigger. (I did end up with OHSS). 24 retrieved, 19 fertilized = 6 embryos. 4 came back normal (PGS testing) and one indeterminate. First frozen embryo transfer- estrogen patch and pills for three weeks then started endometrin suppositories for 5 days before transfer. Transferred failed unfortunately even though it was a high grade, PGS tested embryo. We are waiting to start a new cycle to transfer again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany)
I was assigned a nurse but would hear from other nurses often during the transfer cycle. That was fine since they're all nice. Our nurse is nice, professional, and returns calls quickly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's small so you will pretty much only work with your nurse and definitely only with your doctor. Because it's small, they do manage cycles to line up with their OR schedule. I wish there were more services available here like acupuncture, mental health, etc. I don't like working with the financial people - I feel like there should be more compassion in that process because it is VERY expensive. They've also raised their prices in the last year.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF.
Consultation: $350 , Follow up appointment: $300 Freeze all cycle: $7,750, PGS testing: $3,850, Embryo storage for one year: $1,020, Frozen Embryo Transfer: $4,000. None of this includes medications or blood tests.
Describe Benjamin Lannon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
It was preferred to only transfer one due to high risks of a multiple pregnancy. We agreed so it hasn't been discussed again since.

Embryo Freezing
I felt like he [Samuel Pauli] looked into my case individually and didn’t give me a blank diagnosis and treatment....Coming from a doctor with no bedside manner Dr. Pauli is a breathe of fresh air. He has a sense of humar which is needed in this journey...He isn’t in the business’s of making multiples and does what’s best for you to not have a high risk pregnancy....
Friendly phlebotomist and ultrasound techs. Clean and modern office [Boston IVF Lexington]. Always on time for morning blood work and monitoring which I appreciate to get to work on time. Once I showed up to the wrong office and instead of making me leave and travel to another office they handled it like no big deal and fit me right in, I didn’t even have to wait. The awesome nurse knowing I’m self pay suggested I may qualify for a discount I wasn’t aware of. They also gave me med samples from the sample closet to save me a significant amount of money. New policy: sometimes you sign into the portal to look at results but it’s hard to make sense of the hormone levels.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Coming from a doctor with no bedside manner Dr. Pauli is a breathe of fresh air. He has a sense of humar which is needed in this journey and comes highly recommended in the online support group I’m in.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
If you’re looking to pick a fertility doctor or make a change go for it!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
I felt like he looked into my case individually and didn’t give me a blank diagnosis and treatment.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
changing my injections as needed to keep follicles growing while also trying to prevent OHSS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brittany )
Goes above and beyond!! She gave me extra samples of meds since I’m self pay, filled out multiple papers for applying for scholarships and always calls in the afternoon with blood work results.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Friendly phlebotomist and ultrasound techs. Clean and modern office. Always on time for morning blood work and monitoring which I appreciate to get to work on time. Once I showed up to the wrong office and instead of making me leave and travel to another office they handled it like no big deal and fit me right in, I didn’t even have to wait. The awesome nurse knowing I’m self pay suggested I may qualify for a discount I wasn’t aware of. They also gave me med samples from the sample closet to save me a significant amount of money. New policy: sometimes you sign into the portal to look at results but it’s hard to make sense of the hormone levels.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
$9,400 for IVF and monitoring plus medication roughly $2,000-$4,000
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.

2014 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Lannon was not only a part of my clomid/letrozole cycles, but he also performed a surgery to correct my septate uterus. The surgery was a great experience and I always knew what to expect and how to deal with it. During my medicated cycles, he treated my cycles as a priority even though we were doing simple hormone treatments. With each of my two miscarriages, he was there for comfort and to explain every detail possible. Every appointment has been a good experience.
Everyone at the clinic [Boston IVF- South Portland] is friendly and comforting at times of joy as well as during the hard times. They are prompt and timely at returning calls and emails. All of the paperwork and info has been sent via email prior to our appointments which makes it easier to review on our own time before talking about it in person.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Ask any questions you may have. No question is too simple and will always be answered.
Dr. Lannon made every effort to make me feel important during every cycle, even though it was simply a clomid or letrozole cycle with no other treatments. Even though I was not doing an IVF cycle, he still made my cycle a priority. I can’t wait to do our IVF cycle with him in a couple of weeks.
The first treatment I had was to correct my uterus. I had a laporoscopy and hysteroscopy to remove a septum in my uterus. After that was corrected, I did clomid cycles. The second cycle worked but ended in m/c at 8 weeks. The very next clomid cycle I did after my first m/c worked but also ended around 8 weeks. After doing a couple more clomid cycles, we switched to letrozole. After 3 letrozole cycles that didn’t work (and a couple years of a break from trying) we were advised to move onto an ivf cycle with pgs testing. We are starting injections for that this month and can’t wait to start the journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany Tifft)
Tiffany has been great at explaining all of the steps for our upcoming ivf cycle. She is also always prompt at responding to emails and calls, as is the rest of the staff.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone at the clinic is friendly and comforting at times of joy as well as during the hard times. They are prompt and timely at returning calls and emails. All of the paperwork and info has been sent via email prior to our appointments which makes it easier to review on our own time before talking about it in person.
I don’t remember exactly
We have not gotten to this point yet but we are very happy that he suggested that we test our embryos with pgs testing before we do a transfer to ensure we are transferring the healthiest and strongest embryos.
South Portland

He [Dr. Armando Arroyo] knew exactly who we were and what our details were at every visit...I had a very tricky schedule as I had moved to Canada before transfer. He was very good about arranging phone calls and making a protocol easier for travel. He is warm and always seemed happy to see us...Trust that he is part of a larger, highly successful team. He knows the latest research and is open to talking through your ideas. You have a voice in the path ahead. He is an interlocutor, not an authoritarian.
The main nurse [at Boston IVF Syracuse], Jill, was wonderful. First, there is one main nurse! At my last clinic, you saw a new person every visit. This clinic offers a single contact person which makes things MUCH easier. Jill knew exactly what our plan was and was always quick to get back to me to help organize meds etc. I "graduated" from the clinic at week 8 and she continues to email to check on us every three weeks!...This is a new clinic with a great staff. Abby at the front desk is cheerful and Mel is a wonderful embryologist who spent a bit of time to assist with moving my embryos across town and then prepping them for transfer. The blood and ultrasound team is also small, so you see the same faces often and they are all very good!
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
He really gives patients the respect they deserve. I am a professor and I felt like my last clinic spoke to me like I was dumb all the time. Dr. Arroyo assumed I was knowledgeable and engaged with any research I had done and never dismissed it. We had good conversations and we felt very confident that we made a good choice to move clinics. I had a very tricky schedule as I had moved to Canada before transfer. He was very good about arranging phone calls and making a protocol easier for travel. He is warm and always seemed happy to see us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Arroyo is a good mix of understanding and straightforward. He sat with us and looked at our results and talked to us about a treatment plan for my situation. At my last clinic most women were on the same protocol with a dozen medications. Dr. Arroyo showed me why I didn't need most of them. I spoke to him more in my six months at this clinic than I spoke to my previous specialist in 2.5 years. He called regularly as we organized moving embryos from another clinic. He attended most of my ultrasounds and helped me understand how things were progressing. He knew exactly who we were and what our details were at every visit.
Describe the protocols Armando Arroyo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
This was my third frozen transfer (not PGS tested embryos). We debated another stim plus PGS of all, but I wasn't up for it. I had a lap/hysteroscopy before and that could explain success. I did a longer estrogen protocol than I was used to. My lining wasn't great so we gave it an extra week. I was on progesterone suppositories and shots (only ever 3 nights) up to 10 weeks pregnant. My previous transfers at another clinic I was on a dozen medications, many out of pocket and thousands of dollars. It was great to have fewer meds to keep track of. I made the process less stressful. We had two frozen day 3 embryos. Transferred 2 and now 19 weeks with a singleton!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jill L)
The main nurse, Jill, was wonderful. First, there is one main nurse! At my last clinic, you saw a new person every visit. This clinic offers a single contact person which makes things MUCH easier. Jill knew exactly what our plan was and was always quick to get back to me to help organize meds etc. I "graduated" from the clinic at week 8 and she continues to email to check on us every three weeks! So lovely!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF.
I am very fortunate to have excellent insurance. My co-pay for visits was 20$ They did not recommend anything not covered by my insurance.

2015 - 2019, Successful
Often times when meeting with Dr. Alper he wouldn't know what our diagnosis was, or what our history was. He'd make a blanket statement and we'd have to kind of correct him and it wasn't until then he'd check our file and then change what he had said.... Dr. Alper is very knowledgeable but also very nonchalant. We often felt that our case wasn't a big deal. At the same time he was open to our questions and very good at explaining everything in detail. I wish we hadn't stuck with the same protocol over and over until we ran out of embryos
I loved the nursing staff at Boston IVF.... Administration is not the most compassionate, they're disorganized and short in their answers. I always felt like I was bothering them with my questions. The nurses are wonderful. The blood drawing team and the ultrasound techs are amazing.... $12,000 FOR IVF cycle not including meds. $4,000 for frozen embryo transfer not including meds. All bloodwork and monitoring before starting a cycle was additional cost.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr. Alper is very knowledgeable but also very nonchalant. We often felt that our case wasn't a big deal. At the same time he was open to our questions and very good at explaining everything in detail. I wish we hadn't stuck with the same protocol over and over until we ran out of embryos, but he sort of made us feel like we had to just "go with the flow".
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Educate yourselves first. Be prepared to ask questions. Know what you want and fight for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Often times when meeting with Dr. Alper he wouldn't know what our diagnosis was, or what our history was. He'd make a blanket statement and we'd have to kind of correct him and it wasn't until then he'd check our file and then change what he had said. If we weren't there to remind him we wouldn't have gotten proper treatment in my opinion. He would have just told the nurse to tell us to do one thing when really we're doing something else now because I spoke up.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
After losing 4 of our 5 embryos to negative cycles and chemical pregnancies we finally did ERA. We cured that with 3 cycles of antibiotics but then moved forward with another transfer with the same protocol as before even though I asked for the autoimmune protocol just to be safe.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Delsignori)
I loved the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Alper was open to multiple embryo transfer because he knew we were paying out of pocket.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I think I've stated most issues. I always felt hesitant to contact administrative staff because their way of communication turned me off. It's such an emotional roller coaster you're on so I wish they would treat us a little gentler; from financials to scheduling.
South Portland

You will have a wait when seeing Dr. Berger, however this is a positive thing as he does not rush any patient in his office. I appreciate the time he takes to complete a thorough evaluation/consultation which is individualized to the patient. ... I went into this experience knowing little about the IVF process and Dr. Berger put my mind at ease, being patient with answering any questions I had while in his office.
Boston IVF Quincy is easily accessible. The lab-work, ultrasound run right on time in the morning which is wonderful for anyone that needs to get to work. The Quincy lab tech is fabulous and the front desk staff always helpful. ... Monitoring appointments were very convenient they were set up in a window. ... The strengths of the nurses are that they always get back to you same day when you leave a message. The weaknesses are that the nurses are not consistently assigned to your case.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I would highly recommend Dr. Brian Berger. I went into this experience knowing little about the IVF process and Dr. Berger put my mind at ease, being patient with answering any questions I had while in his office. He gave me a course of treatment/plan that he recommended but did not pressure me into it, allowing me to weigh out my options and do my own research which was very important for me since I am a self pay patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Brian Berger was very thorough at each visit/consultation. We never felt rushed while in his office and truly felt like our medical history was important in creating a plan for success.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I believe i was on a FSH protocol, slow controlled stimulation, I stimmed for approximately 15 or 16 days, and due to risk for hyperovarian simulation syndrome I triggered with Lupron and had no issues. I had 24 eggs retrieved, 16 fertilized and 11 embryos that made it to blasts/freeze at day 5/6.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Monitoring appointments were very convenient they were set up in a window.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
I am self pay, IVF with medications and frozen transfer with PGS testing roughly 22,000
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
N/A have not had transfer yet
South Shore

She [Dr. Kim Thornton] is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me...Boston IVF is great in the way that they have offices all over. I mainly go wot a Worcester but have been to Waltham and Lexington for ultrasounds and blood work. They also have in-house acupuncture which is great. Weaknesses, their financial coordinators are VERY quick and only give you information if you ask for it. I found out after my first cycle that self pay clients could apply for a discount (income based) which would have really helped to know before!
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I wasn’t sure where to start on the IVF journey. It’s very overwhelming, I filled out an online contact form and received a call from Boston IVF and they paired me with Dr Thornton. Other may not have left the best reviews but I personally think she has been great for us. She is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
If you want someone to give you hugs and kisses, Dr Thornton isn’t the one for you, but if you want an honest approach she definitely won’t sugar coat the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I definitely felt with the small Worcester office Dr Thornton knew it was me there To meet with her. She always talked to me not at me which I appreciate.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
When I first met with add Thornton I was 39 turning 40, my husband had a failed vasectomy reversal. She initially suggested we go back to the office who did the reversal to see if we could retrieve sperm from him. Once that procedure was complete we moved very quickly. We started with Gonal-F and Menopur and then added Cetrotide. Trigger was done and then egg retrieval. Once retrieval was done I started on Endometrin 3 times a day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn )
The nursing staff is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Costs were pretty high! I am self pay meaning insurance doesn’t cover anything for the cycle. All pre blood work was covered but once the cycle started I obtained a loan for $15,000 and paid $1000 out of pocket on top of that. That included medication
Kim L. Thornton
Worcester

During our initial discussion with Dr. Berger we felt he really listened to us, asked us very detailed questions and follow up questions, and thoroughly went over options and potential treatment plans. He generally just had amazing bedside manner. We’ve done two retrievals (about to do our third), and the follow up meetings with Dr. Berger were lengthy, he went over every single detail of what went wrong and what went right, and gave us plenty of tome to ask all our questions. We never felt rushed during our meetings.
The monitoring appointments [at Boston IVF- South Shore] were fast! I was always done with the ultrasound and blood draw within 20 minutes of arriving at Quincy or Waltham. Also, I live on the Cape, and Boston IVF has an arrangement with a local Ultrasound clinic. I was able to do monitoring Monday-Thursday on the Cape, I had to go to Quincy on Friday’s, and Waltham on Sat & Sun.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Every experience we’ve had with Dr. Berger has strengthened our trust in him. He has great bedside manner, thoroughly explains every step of the process and his reasons behind his decisions for our treatment. He also doesn’t sugarcoat anything, which is appreciated.
Do as much research as possible and learn the lingo. There is a lot of new information, it can be overwhelming to try and follow a conversation at first. Be your own advocate and always bring a list of questions.
I did not do Birth Control priming, instead I was put on Estrogen pills twice a day for 10 days before my period. On day 2 of my cycle I started Gonal-F and Low Dose HCG. My first cycle started with 325 of Gonal-F and 20 of Low Dose HCG, Cetrotide was added around day 9 to slow the growth of the leading follicles. I stimmed for 13 days total. They retrieved 19 follicles, 15 were mature, 6 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5 and one was transferred. The other embryo stopped growing later on day 5. I didn’t get pregnant from this round. Round 2 used the same medications, but upped the dosages to get larger follicles. My starting doses were 450 of Gonal-F and 40 of Low Dose HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meghan)
Meghan was our primary nurse and Stephanie was our nurse about 30% of the time. They both were great. The office has a policy to return all phone calls if they are left before 4pm, and I loved that.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only negative I have with Boston IVF is the lack of direct communication with Dr Berger. We have done 2 IVF cycles and have only talked with Dr. Berger 3 times. All other appointments and communication have been with Ultrasound techs or the nursing team. This hasn’t actually been a problem for us, everyone has been great to work with, but it could be a big negative for some patients.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
The monitoring appointments were fast! I was always done with the ultrasound and blood draw within 20 minutes of arriving at Quincy or Waltham. Also, I live on the Cape, and Boston IVF has an arrangement with a local Ultrasound clinic. I was able to do monitoring Monday-Thursday on the Cape, I had to go to Quincy on Friday’s, and Waltham on Sat & Sun.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
I live in Massachusetts and my insurance covers IVF coverage. So I only had to meet my yearly $2000 deductible, and pay $50 copays for office visits with the Dr. My prescription copays added up to about $300 per cycle. We are electing to do PGS testing on the embryos, costing $3700 for 8 embryos.
Dr. Berger strongly recommend we only transfer one embryo and we agreed.
South Shore

We loved each and every experience we had with Dr. Lannon. If I were to give any constructive feedback I would say that between starting meds for the retrieval and the actual retrieval we mostly only spoke to his nurses. We completely understand that he is extremely busy, and I know that for every monitoring appointment and blood test he was assessing my results, but hearing from him would have been supportive.
I really enjoyed our clinic [Boston IVF- South Portland]. The support staff was very helpful. I will say that the billing department was extremely disappointing. This is a very sensitive experience for people, and I did not feel like their billing employee gave any empathy, patience, or understanding. I understand that this at the end of the day is a business, we felt like if we didn't completely pay up front that issues would arise, also their was inconsistency in how we were communicated with. Bills that came from the actual Boston, Boston IVF location were almost threatening, notes left at the end of the bill (which I still have for proof) would have comments like "PAYMENT IS SERIOUSLY OVERDUE" which is obviously something we are more than aware of.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Go into an appointment where you will be speaking with Dr. Lannon with structured questions you would like to have answered. I wish we had done that because I sometimes left feeling like I had wished I had written everything down versus trying to remember it all in my head.
Dr. Lannon took extensive time to speak with us in our initial consultation, as well as our consult to begin IVF treatment. Throughout the process he was always reachable, and felt very supported by his staff as well. More importantly, once we found out the transfer had failed. He went out of his way to call us within hours of my blood test results to simply see if my husband and I were okay. Dr. Lannon has truly helped my husband and I to approach the IVF experience with a sense of humor, and know that we are in good hands.
For our egg retrieval we used FSH's such as gonal f, menopur, and cetrotide. After each monitoring Dr. Lannon would tweak my meds based on the ultrasounds and blood tests. We had a pretty "simple' retrieval experience, they got 14 eggs, we did not need ICSI, and 4 made it to Day 5 maturation. He transferred the best graded embryo for a fresh transfer, a 4AA.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara)
Barbara is one of the nurses that supports Dr. Lannons patients and I could not be more thankful for the empathy and sensitivity she showed us each and every day during our retrieval and transfer process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I really enjoyed our clinic. The support staff was very helpful. I will say that the billing department was extremely disappointing. This is a very sensitive experience for people, and I did not feel like their billing employee gave any empathy, patience, or understanding. I understand that this at the end of the day is a business, we felt like if we didn't completely pay up front that issues would arise, also their was inconsistency in how we were communicated with. Bills that came from the actual Boston, Boston IVF location were almost threatening, notes left at the end of the bill (which I still have for proof) would have comments like "PAYMENT IS SERIOUSLY OVERDUE" which is obviously something we are more than aware of.
So the egg retrieval and transfer were 9,400. Medications for retrieval were 3,000. Testing prior to starting the retrieval (genetic) were 1,100.
As we were set on only transferring one embryo, we are not very sure on what Dr. Lannons stance is on multiple embryos transferred. We do know that he is comfortable transferring two but I am not sure past that amount.
South Portland
[Dr. Luzzo was] Somewhat clinical in demeanor but very competent and trustworthy. She listened to my questions and took my feedback into consideration when planning treatment. We did not see her very often, though - just the initial consultation, and right before our IVF cycle...Antagonist protocol using gonal f, menopur, and cetrotide. Stimmed for 10 days. Retrieval of 35 eggs - 31 mature, 20 fertilized with ICSI, 10 embryos frozen, 1 fresh embryo transferred, resulting in a singleton pregnancy.
Strengths [at Boston IVF] - Very large - lots of patients, practitioners, data and coordinated use of evidence based practices. Sometimes can feel like a factory, but a successful one that will give you a baby at the end. Weaknesses - All major procedures have to take place in Waltham, MA which was a 2-3 hour trip for us. All communication seems to take place via telephone which can be frustrating to manage while at work.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Prepare any questions that you have ahead of time.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Always returned my calls with the information I needed, once I was in treatment. When not in an active treatment cycle, I did feel as though I was a lower priority (which makes sense) and had to follow up multiple times on some things.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths - Very large - lots of patients, practitioners, data and coordinated use of evidence based practices. Sometimes can feel like a factory, but a successful one that will give you a baby at the end. Weaknesses - All major procedures have to take place in Waltham, MA which was a 2-3 hour trip for us. All communication seems to take place via telephone which can be frustrating to manage while at work.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
With the exception of a few long back-ups, I was usually able to get in and out within 30 minutes early in the morning before work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Unsure - billed directly to insurance.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Single embryo transfer seems to be the policy unless there is a compelling reason otherwise. We were educated (and dissuaded) on multiple embryo transfer.
Providence
Dr. Luzzo is very straightforward. She doesn’t push one treatment over the other but rather gives pros and cons for each and lets the patient make the decisions. ... She is very business-like in her explanations. ... Not very warm and fuzzy but she knows her stuff. ... Very neutral with her opinions. ... We have done 3 rounds of IUI. First round we went in for baseline ultrasound and labs on cycle day 3.
My biggest concerns for this clinic [Boston IVF] is the billing/insurance department. ... she never even submitted my the authorization request to my insurance. I called Every day that week and it wasn’t submitted until Thursday. ... I was Unable to start ivf like planned. ... we now have to spend close to a $1000 to freeze sperm. This could have been completely avoided if this women did her job.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Luzzo is very straightforward. She doesn’t push one treatment over the other but rather gives pros and cons for each and lets the patient make the decisions. Not very warm and fuzzy but she knows her stuff.
Ask lots of questions. Advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She is very business-like in her explanations. Very neutral with her opinions.
We have done 3 rounds of IUI. First round we went in for baseline ultrasound and labs on cycle day 3. For the call that afternoon to start 50mg of clomid every night for 5 nights. Cycle day 10 went in for monitoring and labs. Nurse called later that day and informed me of follicle sizes and scheduled another monitoring appointment the next morning. Had more monitoring and the nurse called again later that night to clear ya to trigger with Ovidrel. We only had one mature follicle. Our IUI was scheduled 36 hours after that. 2 days after IUI I started on progesterone suppositories twice a day. This cycle failed. Second cycle was the same as the first except they increased the clomid to 100mg instead. One mature follicle again, progesterone twice a day after IUI and another failed cycle. This cycle we started Gonal-F injections 75iu at night from cycle day 3-9 in hopes to mature more eggs. Monitoring from cycle day 7-10 and then got the clear to trigger on cycle day 10 with Ovidrel. I’m in the waiting room for IUI as I type this so nonresuots yet. I will Start progesterone twice a day in two days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Margie and Wendy)
Margie is wonderful. She is very compassionate and understanding. Wendy however, has been rude, and cold.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The lab tech Crystal, ultrasound techs especially Heidi, and office women- Joanna and Taylor are absolutely wonderful. They are friendly, caring and very reassuring. They make the office run so smoothly and truly care about their patients. The insurance/billing lady is HORRENDOUS. Mistakes were made on her behalf which completely derailed my IVF chance. I called numerous times asking for explanations and she BLAMED ME for things going wrong. She is a horrible communicator, and overall terrible at her job.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
$40 copays for Dr. Luzzo and IUI. Everything else has been covered by insurance except medications that have cost between $250-$300/cycle.
Haven’t had a transfer yet
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My biggest concerns for this clinic is the billing/insurance department. I was Suppose to start ivf this cycle after two failed IUI’s. I went For my consult, signed all consents a month in advance and was told next cycle we would start and it would be no problem. Two weeks before my cycle I called asking for an update on my ivf approval. Lady told me She didn’t have it yet but would have it Monday. Monday rolls around and not only has the billing lady been out since last THURSDAY, she never even submitted my the authorization request to my insurance. I called Every day that week and it wasn’t submitted until Thursday. My period was due Friday. Needless to say I was Unable to start ivf like planned. This may not be a big deal, but my Husband is leaving the country and will be in an area of Zika risk. Since we were not able to get an egg retrieval in before he left, we now have to spend close to a $1000 to freeze sperm. This could have been completely avoided if this women did her job.
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
With PGS, [Dr. Samuel Pauli] advised to transfer 1 only. Without PGS, then we were advised to transfer 2...He is a very sweet man, but also analytical and technical as a doctor. He is a professional and all business while maintaining a very human demeanor...will tweak protocols when something doesn't work. He was always very kind and easy to talk to, and I am sad that things didn't work out. Towards the end of my time I felt like he was almost too kind and would say what he thought I wanted to hear rather than what I needed to hear.
We got along amazingly well [with the nurses at Boston IVF]. I also would get my bloodwork and ultrasounds done at a local satellite clinic and I got along spectacularly well with the phlebotomists and sonographers there after seeing them for years...If you go early [for monitoring], then you'd be fine. Mostly people didn't show up at their designated times, so it was generally first come first serve. The satellite clinic I went to was amazing and they loved seeing me so much.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He really wants to have his patients succeed, and he is very modest and will tweak protocols when something doesn't work. He was always very kind and easy to talk to, and I am sad that things didn't work out. Towards the end of my time I felt like he was almost too kind and would say what he thought I wanted to hear rather than what I needed to hear.
If you are under 35 and have no history of recurrent pregnancy loss, than you should do just fine with him. More advanced cases with older patients and recurrent pregnancy losses may need to look elsewhere.
Round 1: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl Trigger 8 eggs, all mature and fertilized. 1 fresh transfer "worked," miscarriage at 11 weeks. Karyotype revealed a normal pregnancy and unexplained loss. 2 remaining untested frozen embryos. 1st negative pregnancy test, 2nd "worked," miscarriage at 8 weeks due to triploidy. Round 2: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl Trigger Added PGS. 7 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 abnormal blast. Round 3: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl/Lupron Double Trigger Added PGS. 10 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 abnormal blast. Round 4: Lupron Flare with Lupron and Gonal F only, Pregnyl Trigger Added PGS. 11 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 PGS normal blast. Miscarriage at 6ish weeks with low beta and slow heartrate. Was found to be an abnormal blast after karyotype testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki P and Nikki F)
We got along amazingly well. I also would get my bloodwork and ultrasounds done at a local satellite clinic and I got along spectacularly well with the phlebotomists and sonographers there after seeing them for years. Unfortunately, my primary nursing team was moved to another location closer to me, and I did not like the team there, which further contributed to my leaving after the third miscarriage.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: So many different doctors and locations to choose from, you just gotta move around and see who may be the perfect fit for you. There is also a MInd-Body center on site where the surgical unit is so you can have counseling or acupuncture if you wish. Weakness: Very standard, conventional practices, doesn't always tailor the protocol to your needs well, and could have benefitted from further tests.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
If you go early, then you'd be fine. Mostly people didn't show up at their designated times, so it was generally first come first serve. The satellite clinic I went to was amazing and they loved seeing me so much.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Luckily, we have health insurance, so our rounds were completely covered. Medications had to be paid for though, but they only made out to be in the $200 range tops.
With PGS, it was advised to transfer 1 only. Without PGS, then we were advised to transfer 2.
Lexington

He [Dr. Lannon] is willing to get into the nitty gritty details of the science of treatment, but also the emotional aspects. He takes your whole picture into account. Has a great and appropriate sense of humor. ... He is extremely available for questions at any time and goes to bat for you to try to make things go as smoothly as possible. He helps you think through all your options and the pros and cons without pressuring you one way or the other. I don't know if I could have keep going with treatment without his support.
The front office staff [At Boston IVF] is not particularly friendly and I had a few very non-compassionate interactions. If you are deviating from their usual protocols things might get messed up and you have to be on top of things for yourself. Timing of monitoring is not flexible but they did always get me in pretty early so I wasn't too late for work. The ultrasound techs rotate in and are not specific to the clinic, so they are very different in what they tell you about what they are seeing which I found stressful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
He was the second doctor I saw and changing to him made a huge difference. He is extremely available for questions at any time and goes to bat for you to try to make things go as smoothly as possible. He helps you think through all your options and the pros and cons without pressuring you one way or the other. I don't know if I could have keep going with treatment without his support.
Go in to the visit with all your questions written down, he will take the time to go through them all with you.
He is willing to get into the nitty gritty details of the science of treatment, but also the emotional aspects. He takes your whole picture into account. Has a great and appropriate sense of humor.
Still in the middle of treatment.
The nurses were ok, I feel they could have been more responsive and organized. There were multiple miscommunications and mix ups. I did not get much emotional support from them.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The front office staff is not particularly friendly and I had a few very non-compassionate interactions. If you are deviating from their usual protocols things might get messed up and you have to be on top of things for yourself. Timing of monitoring is not flexible but they did always get me in pretty early so I wasn't too late for work. The ultrasound techs rotate in and are not specific to the clinic, so they are very different in what they tell you about what they are seeing which I found stressful.
So far, about $20,000
South Portland
Kind, explained all my questions, spoke in a really respectful way, encouraged us and gave us hope... Very kind and intelligent, the only bad things were that he [Dr. Bayer] seemed so confident in having a positive outcome and when we didn’t I felt like he didn’t dig into why and just chalked it up to bad luck and didn’t really change cycle protocol... He would have been fine with putting in two embryos if we had wanted.
It [Boston IVF] has too many people, patients doctors don’t always do physical transfer etc., their billing department is confusing, disorganized and not helpful. However, they have a lot of doctors so you can find a right for, they have easy to get to locations and they have ALL types of programs so it’s like one stop shopping for fertility.... One of our embryos did not thaw out and they told me 30 seconds before transfer. Also, they would not let my husband in the room, even though they knew it was surrogacy pregnancy.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Very kind and intelligent, the only bad things were that he seemed so confident in having a positive outcome and when we didn’t I felt like he didn’t dig into why and just chalked it up to bad luck and didn’t really change cycle protocol
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Be prepared not to have contact and commiicafon with him-it all had to be filtered through nurses and he won’t mecessaily do your egg retrieval or transfer
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
But on regular ivf cycle-regular protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda )
The nurse was VERY prompt in giving results and answering questions. He manner or tone was sometimes a bit cold, but I just think she was like that because she wanted everything to be really clear (which it was.)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It has too many people, patients doctors don’t always do physical transfer etc., their billing department is confusing, disorganized and not helpful. However, they have a lot of doctors so you can find a right for, they have easy to get to locations and they have ALL types of programs so it’s like one stop shopping for fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
We spent over 90k on all treatments there and on our gestational carrier.
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He would have been fine with putting in two embryos if we had wanted.
Boston

[Nurses at Boston IVF were] Amazing! Super organized and excellent communication and got my prescriptions ordered and things scheduled very efficiently and without mistakes. When I had bleeding she was reassuring. She was genuinely excited for our success...A large operation but very professional and organized...He [Dr. Penzias] didn’t rely exclusively on statistics and he never focused on my age. He believed that we could be successful...He helped us make challenging decisions about which and how many embryos to transfer, whether to freeze or do PGS; He was very thorough and was willing to collaborate with Dr. Braverman (where other REs were not)...It’s worth driving to see him- we drove over an hour and a half to see him and it was completely worth it.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He didn’t rely exclusively on statistics and he never focused on my age. He believed that we could be successful.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Routine protocol for lead in with a estrogen patches.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A large operation but very professional and organized but 8 can only speak to this doctor and nurse. I saw another doctor at their satellite office near me who I had a negative experience with. I would only recommend this doctor (as opposed to the entire clinic).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Thankfully all covered by insurance except for the last transfer-$4K
Alan S. Penzias
Waltham

Dr. Ryley made personal connections with both myself and my husband. He remembered non-medical aspects of our lives and we genuinely enjoyed every visit we had with him. He also called to check in personally after big news (good or bad). He once went above and beyond to squeeze me in for a surgery the day he’d be in the OR so I wouldn’t need to wait 4+ weeks until our next cycle. We loved him!
Most monitoring and surgeries were at the Boston IVF clinic in Waltham. No complaints - it is a quiet, clean facility and I always found the staff very nice and helpful. The Boston office (more for consults) is beautiful. Parking downtown can be pricey but worth every penny for the care you receive.... Jess was WONDERFUL! She answered countless calls with patience, compassion, and a genuinely positive attitude.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was warm, compassionate, and understanding. He took the failures and setbacks as hard as we did. He provided both statistics as well as his own experience so we knew the range of things to expect with each step. We always felt like he was on our team, rooting for our success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
You are your own best advocate, but you will feel like you have another fighter on your team with Dr. Ryley.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess)
David Ryley

2018 - 2019, Consult
Dr. Berger is a very genuine and compassionate doctor who loves what he does. He explains all your options and what plan best fits your needs. He makes himself available and answers all of your questions. He does not make you feel like a number. In a world that can feel so alone he was able to finally give me some hope...He is worth the wait for an appointment...Due to the high demand of the clinic and Dr Berger it can be some time before you can get an appointment
[The nurses at Boston IVF are] Very compassionate and thorough. They called to follow up on me after my visit to see if I had anymore questions...Due to the high demand of the clinic and Dr Berger it can be some time before you can get an appointment. The clinic staff is all so kind and not dismissive as some places I have been. Everything is always your choice and if you are not comfortable with anything you are never rushed...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He is worth the wait for an appointment
Adequate time was spent with me and our time did not end until all of Our questions were answered. Our questions by phone were also answered in the same day even after his office hours ended. He was genuinely sorry for the losses and emotional roller coaster we have been through over the last 2 years.
These are still being discussed
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Initial visit was $395 and cost for 5 rounds with the use of my insurance is $12,500 out of pocket
Not yet discussed
South Shore

Strengths: unintimidating, kind, very knowledgeable, able to explain things to a non-medical person in easy terms. Didn’t feel rushed during my appointments, and it is clear that he valued his staff and seemed to have a mutual appreciation and respect for each other. Weaknesses: could be a bit warmer. ... Dr. Alper was warm and remembered details about me. He likely reviewed them right before I entered the room, but I consider that fair. While it is a big operation, it felt no less impersonal than any other doctors I have seen.
It [Boston IVF] is very large and runs like a well oiled machine. To some this could feel impersonal, but I appreciated that everything was so well organized and everything ran on time. It made me feel confident in the clinic. ... Bonnie is Dr. Alper’s Nurse. She is very responsive and friendly. ... He [Dr. Alper] recommended I transfer only one, especially as I had chosen to do PGS. I was fully on board with this strategy
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Take notes or ask him to write down notes for you as you discuss. He made me some great notes and diagrams that helped me to remember everything later
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie)
Bonnie is Dr. Alper’s Nurse. She is very responsive and friendly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It is very large and runs like a well oiled machine. To some this could feel impersonal, but I appreciated that everything was so well organized and everything ran on time. It made me feel confident in the clinic.
He recommended I transfer only one, especially as I had chosen to do PGS. I was fully on board with this strategy
Waltham
First cycle [with Dr. Nina Resetkova] I was on 300 Gonal and 150 menopure. Second cycle we added in estradiol and for better results...She called me personally at 7:30 on a Friday night to resolve an issue...She was good, gave all the risks and options. When she called with test results she gave the next step. She personally called me...Only con would be she didn’t mention she was going on maternity leave or who was covering for her.
Insurance covered most of it and the financial coordinator [at Boston IVF- South Shore] was on top of it...Large clinic with several locations. They offer aggressive treatment plans. Nursing is triage if you call the main line and things slip through the cracks, ie. they forgot to order my meds because I called on a weekend. Poor communication within departments. It’s a business, the run as such... [Nurses had] Zero compassion...Organized and good follow up
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She was good, gave all the risks and options. When she called with test results she gave the next step. She personally called me to resolve an issue. Only con would be she didn’t mention she was going on maternity leave or who was covering for her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Be your own advocate
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She called me personally at 7:30 on a Friday night to resolve an issue.
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
First cycle I was on 300 Gonal and 150 menopure. Second cycle we added in estradiol and for better results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Organized and good follow up. Zero compassion.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Ultrasound technicians and blood technicians were always awesome.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered most of it and the financial coordinator was on top of it.
Describe Nina Resetkova's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The nursing line is a triage and things can slip through the cracks. They forgot to order my medication and I had to wait a month to start a cycle.
Nina Resetkova
South Shore

He listens to you and he understand the frustrations women are going through. There was no blame put on me as the person with PCOS. He even scheduled a time to call me and check on me to see how I was feeling/doing. I felt much better after seeing doctor Lannon. ... My nurse [Boston IVF] and doctor both take time to email and call me and explain in detail.
Finding the building was easy, very welcoming when you walk in, gave us small talk to help us relax as a first visit is nerve wracking. Made sure we understood the process before we began. Just an overall great experience! ... My nurse and doctor [Dr. Lannon] both take time to email and call me and explain in detail. They are both extremely patient with me and all my questions.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Be opened minded and trust his instinct.
My nurse and doctor both take time to email and call me and explain in detail. They are both extremely patient with me and all my questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
So far it is reasonable, but we are in the early stages of different medicines to help ovulation.
South Portland
She [Dr. Luzzo] explained everything in great detail. She clearly knows her stuff. The amount of information delivered is however overwhelming, making it hard to retain. I also did not feel seen as a person as she seemed emotion-less, which probably had nothing to do with me but has made appointments a bit uncomfortable....She feels quite distant and lethargic. Little warmth. No apparent enthusiasm
Great location [Boston IVF - Providence]. Pleasant set-up. Very friendly front desk staff. Downside: Weekend coverage as well as sperm storage is at a different clinic or in Waltham, MA. Certain procedures are only in Waltham.... Wendy [nurse] seems to know a lot about infertility, IUIs and IVF procedures. She has also felt rather distant and unmotivated.... Regular IUI $450. Monitored IUI: $1050. unsure otherwise
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She explained everything in great detail. She clearly knows her stuff. The amount of information delivered is however overwhelming, making it hard to retain. I also did not feel seen as a person as she seemed emotion-less, which probably had nothing to do with me but has made appointments a bit uncomfortable.
Do not expect warmth
She feels quite distant and lethargic. Little warmth. No apparent enthusiasm
Until now monitored IUI was recommended. Moving forward IVF is recommended due to unexplained infertility
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy seems to know a lot about infertility, IUIs and IVF procedures. She has also felt rather distant and unmotivated.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Great location. Pleasant set-up. Very friendly front desk staff. Downside: Weekend coverage as well as sperm storage is at a different clinic or in Waltham, MA. Certain procedures are only in Waltham.
Regular IUI $450. Monitored IUI: $1050. unsure otherwise
Providence

Be aware that he [Dr. Samuel Pang] has many patients. Always double check the dosage of medications that you should be taking- especially if it is a medication that could impact the success of implantation...is intelligent, but has far too many patients and cannot spend the time necessary to focus on each patient. I constantly felt like I was a number and did not feel like I got personal care for my case...I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication.
On more than one occasion [nurse at Boston IVF] was accusatory of me. The first time she said I didn't inform her or Dr. Pang about work travel- which I had with both of them. In the next instance she accused me of not taking my medications correctly- which I was; but the medical team never communicated to me that I should have changed my dosage....I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication... is run like a large corporation. They seem to care more about the number of patients than they do about how the patients are treated. I could not help but to feel they wanted to get the most cycles out of me as possible instead of having success early on.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pang is intelligent, but has far too many patients and cannot spend the time necessary to focus on each patient. I constantly felt like I was a number and did not feel like I got personal care for my case.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Be aware that he has many patients. Always double check the dosage of medications that you should be taking- especially if it is a medication that could impact the success of implantation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
After my last failed cycle Dr. Pang's nurse questioned if I was taking the correct dose of Levothyroxin. She told me I was taking the wrong dose; however, upon further inspection she confirmed nobody had told me to change my dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Butters)
On more than one occasion Lisa was accusatory of me. The first time she said I didn't inform her or Dr. Pang about work travel- which I had with both of them. In the next instance she accused me of not taking my medications correctly- which I was; but the medical team never communicated to me that I should have changed my dosage.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
BostonIVF is run like a large corporation. They seem to care more about the number of patients than they do about how the patients are treated. I could not help but to feel they wanted to get the most cycles out of me as possible instead of having success early on.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication. The nurse then accused me of either taking the medication incorrectly or not at the correct dosage. Neither of which was true- I was just never informed about the change in dosage- which the nurse later agreed with me on.
Samuel Pang

2015 - 2019, Successful
Dr Lannon would only do eSET for us. He explained his reasoning, which I believe was because I was under 30 and had a healthy uterus as my infertility was caused by PCOS...is a little hard to read on a personality level. It’s not a poor bedside manner, just a little guarded perhaps? He is very smart and matter of fact, which might read as cold. I feel like I saw nursing staff way more often than I saw him, though...
A weakness of this clinic is that it is a satellite of the Boston clinic [Boston IVF-South Portland]. All of the billing coordinators are in Boston and we had a few billing issues. Everything was handled over the phone, but the distance was more of a mental issue for myself and made it seem harder. The OR wasn’t very private and felt a bit like an egg retrieval factory. The office staff, the phlebotomists, the imaging staff, and most of the nurses were all great and sympathetic!
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is a little hard to read on a personality level. It’s not a poor bedside manner, just a little guarded perhaps? He is very smart and matter of fact, which might read as cold. I feel like I saw nursing staff way more often than I saw him, though.
Don’t be put off by his personality, he knows what he is doing.
The only time I felt like a number was on retrieval and implantation days. The clinic has about 7 curtained off beds and one OR so you can kind of see the other women getting the same treatments. It’s not super private.
My first IVF cycle was Gonal-F, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel trigger shot. Nine eggs were retrieved, six were fertilized, one was viable, one was transferred. Crinone progesterone used for ten days. Resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Second IVF cycle we changed protocols to the “Lupron protocol,” since my body didn’t respond well to the other. Medications were Gonal-F, HCG, and Lupron. Sixteen eggs retrieved, eleven fertilized, five viable embryos, one transferred and four frozen. Resulting in a singleton birth.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
One particular nurse, Barbara, was incompetent. It was so off-putting. She couldn’t explain the protocol and messed up a few times giving us the wrong information. She was the only “bad” nurse, thankfully!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A weakness of this clinic is that it is a satellite of the Boston clinic. All of the billing coordinators are in Boston and we had a few billing issues. Everything was handled over the phone, but the distance was more of a mental issue for myself and made it seem harder. The OR wasn’t very private and felt a bit like an egg retrieval factory. The office staff, the phlebotomists, the imaging staff, and most of the nurses were all great and sympathetic!
Each cycle is $9,000 but we were given a 30% discount because our insurance didn’t cover treatment, so we paid $6,300 not including donor sperm or any medications. Medications were about $5,000 per cycle.
2014 - 2019, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Steven Bayer is] down to earth and feels for the heart break his patients go through...explains in detail what he knew to be our issue with our 2 known miscarriages. He took the time to explain...He was very understanding how we felt and truly wanted to be parents... He went into detail as options available and told us honestly he felt the best option would be embryo adoption given we had started an adoption process just last year. Dr Bayer leads with his heart, and truly feels what his patients are experiencing.
I’ve had little contact with my nurse [at Boston IVF], but each time I do, she checks with Dr Bayer so there is no miscommunication. She through when we do discuss lab results or next steps to ensure I understand how it all works...His consult was $350 and the cost for the day of my embryo transfer is $4400 that includes 1 yr of storage fees at their facility...As a new patient I felt comfortable and knew everyone I had contact with was very helpful and kind. They treat you like a human and not a number or someone that doesn’t fit a mold that some offices feel you should. They are very empathic to your heartbreak. I’m still trying to find a weakness,although I’m sure they have them, my experience has been seamless thus far.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Dr Bayer explains in detail what he knew to be our issue with our 2 known miscarriages. He took the time to explain we could try cloned and gave us the odds of it working. He was very understanding how we felt and truly wanted to be parents. When cloned didn’t work, my husband and I chose to keep trying naturally. Over the last 4 years we’ve endure the adoption option which ended in a disaster with information we were told but didn’t happen. We pulled out of the adoption last year. We then saw another fertility specialist closer to home, he didn’t care as to why we were there, he told me to lose 50lbs and call him once I did. He went as far to say, he’s seen shorter and wider do it do I can if I put my mind too it. I lost 23lbs hurt my back in the meantime and was killing myself to lose. Then decided to go back to see Dr Bayer this year. Upon entering his office we had the typical how are you doings, then lead to say it’s been a very long 4+ year journey for you. How have you been doing with this? He went into detail as options available and told us honestly he felt the best option would be embryo adoption given we had started an adoption process just last year. Dr Bayer leads with his heart, and truly feels what his patients are experiencing. Not once but twice he told us he can help us become parents, our life long dream. I left there with tears of joy and a heart that was full of happiness finally. We started the process in February, found embryos in August and are in the process of waiting for cycles to do the transfer. I can’t thank Dr Bayer and his team enough for all they have done. Dr Bayer has reassured me on more than one occasion, helping couples become parents is “what his team and Garrison” does!! He’s excited for us
Any and all questions you ask, he will answer truthfully and honestly. He’s in this profession because he truly cares for his patients. Highly recommend him
He’s do down to earth and feels for the heart break his patients go through
We tried 3 cycles clomid due to being younger and having regular periods at that time. At this time in order to begin the process for my frozen embryo transfer, we have started and finished medications to induce a period. Once that happens I’ll take 2 and 1/2 weeks of estrogen, have an ultrasound and if the uterine lining isn’t thick enough, we’ll increase estrogen and have another ultrasound. If uterine lining is thick enough, I’ll have the transfer scheduled then begin progesterone for 10 weeks there after. Everything needs to be perfect in order for my embryo to attach. There is still a chance of miscarriage
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda D)
I’ve had little contact with my nurse, but each time I do, she checks with Dr Bayer so there is no miscommunication. She through when we do discuss lab results or next steps to ensure I understand how it all works.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Dr Bayer is part of my out of nextwork coverage so all bills are paid by me until I reach my deductible. That deductible is very high, so that will not happen. His consult was $350 and the cost for the day of my embryo transfer is $4400 that includes 1 yr of storage fees at their facility.
We will do a single embryo transfer as soon as my cycle begins with a followed ultrasound. One embryo transfer is best for me and my baby at this time to ensure a happy healthy pregnancy.
Brookline
2019, Consult
The doctor [Dr. Armando Arroyo] never greeted me. Never asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Nor asked me questions about myself to understand who I was... didn't want to talk through anything at all. He signed me up for a list of over 30 tests. Most that either I had already had done...Never once did he ask if I had any questions or concerns. Just "see you in 6 weeks for your follow up" and ushered me into another room to talk to a financial adviser. I have NEVER left a doctor being so confused as to what was going on, and I was in tears. It was AWFUL. If you are a woman, who is looking for help, he is looking for money, he does not care about your well being at all.
[Boston IVF- Syracuse Center is] a homey feeling clinic...The receptionist didn't know anything, and took 10 minutes to check me in. It is near impossible to find the office as its inside a huge building and when you use your GPS, good luck getting there. and The receptionist when you call for help can't help at all...I was handed off like a package [by the nurse], one for my weight, one for the 50000 questions they ask you, then one who's job was to talk to me about how I am going to pay for it. She literally said "Well, everything will be billed to insurance, but we don't know what they will cover, and you will have to pay the rest." Which didn't help me at all.
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
I was sat down in Dr.Arroyo's office, and told that he would talk with me about everything. He said okay, you have PCOS. Great, your options are get pregnant or get on birth control. That was it. I tried to ask various questions about managing my hormone levels, and he brushed off the questions. I told him what my concerns were and he pretty much didn't care. He told me that it was what he planned or nothing. And didn't want to talk through anything at all. He signed me up for a list of over 30 tests. Most that either I had already had done, or were absolutely un-necessary, as validated by another doctor later. Never once did he ask if I had any questions or concerns. Just "see you in 6 weeks for your follow up" and ushered me into another room to talk to a financial adviser. I have NEVER left a doctor being so confused as to what was going on, and I was in tears. It was AWFUL. If you are a woman, who is looking for help, he is looking for money, he does not care about your well being at all.
RUN AWAY. FAR AWAY. Find another doctor.
The doctor never greeted me. Never asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Nor asked me questions about myself to understand who I was. He wanted to see how much money he could get out of me and that was it.
Dr. Arroyo wanted me to do 30 different blood tests, including genetics, STD (I have never had a positive pap in my life and had just had one done a few weeks earlier), wanted me to come and do about 6 different ultrasounds, and have my husband do a semen test. NONE of these were actually needed ( as told to me by my new doctor).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I was handed off like a package, one for my weight, one for the 50000 questions they ask you, then one who's job was to talk to me about how I am going to pay for it. She literally said "Well, everything will be billed to insurance, but we don't know what they will cover, and you will have to pay the rest." Which didn't help me at all.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Its a homey feeling clinic. You don't know what you're in for when you walk in. The receptionist didn't know anything, and took 10 minutes to check me in. It is near impossible to find the office as its inside a huge building and when you use your GPS, good luck getting there. and The receptionist when you call for help can't help at all.
I have no idea, because the financial person could not tell me what ANYTHING was going to cost. I thought I would walk away with an idea but nope. She didn't know and had nothing she could tell me, even with what my insurance would cover, even though the whole point of sending my insurance information in early was so that I could have an idea of the costs ahead of time.