Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

As a patient I had very limited interactions with Dr. Wright. She did call after a cancelled cycle which I thought was appropriate. I did feel like the info structure as a whole was like an “IVF Farm” one in and one out. I had to be persistent if I felt something didn’t seem right...The best description I can give is that all my conversations with her were very transactional. Only when I pushed back or questioned something were changes made. I had to trust my instincts and question everything to have treatment adapted to me and my situation and not cookie cutter.
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] were very caring. Some days it took a while to call back; however, I feel that may have been more related to the whole system...Cancelled cycle was - 5,500 included retrieval but no transfer. Medication each cycle was 1,700...Strengths - open every day of the week, numerous locations, nursing staff Weaknesses - big clinic feel, you are a number and must advocate for yourself every step of the way if not you fall on the standard protocol which may not best for your body. It’s overwhelming and they move so fast by the time you are back in your car your head is spinning. Ask then to slow down and explain everything in detail. Ask lots of questions.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
As a patient I had very limited interactions with Dr. Wright. She did call after a cancelled cycle which I thought was appropriate. I did feel like the info structure as a whole was like an “IVF Farm” one in and one out. I had to be persistent if I felt something didn’t seem right. While Dr. Wright has done this hundreds of time it was my first time seeking IVF treatment so you have to advocate yourself.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Ask questions. A lot of questions. If the questions come later call and ask them. Don’t wait - this is your body and your potential child.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
2 cycles of an antagonist cycle, Gonal-F 300 iu, menapur 150iu - 225iu, then cetrotide for the last few days. Triggered with 10,000iu of HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Marianne)
The nursing staff were very caring. Some days it took a while to call back; however, I feel that may have been more related to the whole system.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
Kristen Wright

Embryo Freezing
I felt like he [Samuel Pauli] looked into my case individually and didn’t give me a blank diagnosis and treatment....Coming from a doctor with no bedside manner Dr. Pauli is a breathe of fresh air. He has a sense of humar which is needed in this journey...He isn’t in the business’s of making multiples and does what’s best for you to not have a high risk pregnancy....
Friendly phlebotomist and ultrasound techs. Clean and modern office [Boston IVF Lexington]. Always on time for morning blood work and monitoring which I appreciate to get to work on time. Once I showed up to the wrong office and instead of making me leave and travel to another office they handled it like no big deal and fit me right in, I didn’t even have to wait. The awesome nurse knowing I’m self pay suggested I may qualify for a discount I wasn’t aware of. They also gave me med samples from the sample closet to save me a significant amount of money. New policy: sometimes you sign into the portal to look at results but it’s hard to make sense of the hormone levels.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Coming from a doctor with no bedside manner Dr. Pauli is a breathe of fresh air. He has a sense of humar which is needed in this journey and comes highly recommended in the online support group I’m in.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
If you’re looking to pick a fertility doctor or make a change go for it!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
I felt like he looked into my case individually and didn’t give me a blank diagnosis and treatment.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
changing my injections as needed to keep follicles growing while also trying to prevent OHSS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brittany )
Goes above and beyond!! She gave me extra samples of meds since I’m self pay, filled out multiple papers for applying for scholarships and always calls in the afternoon with blood work results.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Friendly phlebotomist and ultrasound techs. Clean and modern office. Always on time for morning blood work and monitoring which I appreciate to get to work on time. Once I showed up to the wrong office and instead of making me leave and travel to another office they handled it like no big deal and fit me right in, I didn’t even have to wait. The awesome nurse knowing I’m self pay suggested I may qualify for a discount I wasn’t aware of. They also gave me med samples from the sample closet to save me a significant amount of money. New policy: sometimes you sign into the portal to look at results but it’s hard to make sense of the hormone levels.
$9,400 for IVF and monitoring plus medication roughly $2,000-$4,000
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Lexington

You will have a wait when seeing Dr. Berger, however this is a positive thing as he does not rush any patient in his office. I appreciate the time he takes to complete a thorough evaluation/consultation which is individualized to the patient. ... I went into this experience knowing little about the IVF process and Dr. Berger put my mind at ease, being patient with answering any questions I had while in his office.
Boston IVF Quincy is easily accessible. The lab-work, ultrasound run right on time in the morning which is wonderful for anyone that needs to get to work. The Quincy lab tech is fabulous and the front desk staff always helpful. ... Monitoring appointments were very convenient they were set up in a window. ... The strengths of the nurses are that they always get back to you same day when you leave a message. The weaknesses are that the nurses are not consistently assigned to your case.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I would highly recommend Dr. Brian Berger. I went into this experience knowing little about the IVF process and Dr. Berger put my mind at ease, being patient with answering any questions I had while in his office. He gave me a course of treatment/plan that he recommended but did not pressure me into it, allowing me to weigh out my options and do my own research which was very important for me since I am a self pay patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Brian Berger was very thorough at each visit/consultation. We never felt rushed while in his office and truly felt like our medical history was important in creating a plan for success.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I believe i was on a FSH protocol, slow controlled stimulation, I stimmed for approximately 15 or 16 days, and due to risk for hyperovarian simulation syndrome I triggered with Lupron and had no issues. I had 24 eggs retrieved, 16 fertilized and 11 embryos that made it to blasts/freeze at day 5/6.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Monitoring appointments were very convenient they were set up in a window.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
I am self pay, IVF with medications and frozen transfer with PGS testing roughly 22,000
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
N/A have not had transfer yet
South Shore

She [Dr. Kim Thornton] is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me...Boston IVF is great in the way that they have offices all over. I mainly go wot a Worcester but have been to Waltham and Lexington for ultrasounds and blood work. They also have in-house acupuncture which is great. Weaknesses, their financial coordinators are VERY quick and only give you information if you ask for it. I found out after my first cycle that self pay clients could apply for a discount (income based) which would have really helped to know before!
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I wasn’t sure where to start on the IVF journey. It’s very overwhelming, I filled out an online contact form and received a call from Boston IVF and they paired me with Dr Thornton. Other may not have left the best reviews but I personally think she has been great for us. She is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
If you want someone to give you hugs and kisses, Dr Thornton isn’t the one for you, but if you want an honest approach she definitely won’t sugar coat the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I definitely felt with the small Worcester office Dr Thornton knew it was me there To meet with her. She always talked to me not at me which I appreciate.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
When I first met with add Thornton I was 39 turning 40, my husband had a failed vasectomy reversal. She initially suggested we go back to the office who did the reversal to see if we could retrieve sperm from him. Once that procedure was complete we moved very quickly. We started with Gonal-F and Menopur and then added Cetrotide. Trigger was done and then egg retrieval. Once retrieval was done I started on Endometrin 3 times a day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn )
The nursing staff is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Costs were pretty high! I am self pay meaning insurance doesn’t cover anything for the cycle. All pre blood work was covered but once the cycle started I obtained a loan for $15,000 and paid $1000 out of pocket on top of that. That included medication
Kim L. Thornton
Worcester

During our initial discussion with Dr. Berger we felt he really listened to us, asked us very detailed questions and follow up questions, and thoroughly went over options and potential treatment plans. He generally just had amazing bedside manner. We’ve done two retrievals (about to do our third), and the follow up meetings with Dr. Berger were lengthy, he went over every single detail of what went wrong and what went right, and gave us plenty of tome to ask all our questions. We never felt rushed during our meetings.
The monitoring appointments [at Boston IVF- South Shore] were fast! I was always done with the ultrasound and blood draw within 20 minutes of arriving at Quincy or Waltham. Also, I live on the Cape, and Boston IVF has an arrangement with a local Ultrasound clinic. I was able to do monitoring Monday-Thursday on the Cape, I had to go to Quincy on Friday’s, and Waltham on Sat & Sun.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Every experience we’ve had with Dr. Berger has strengthened our trust in him. He has great bedside manner, thoroughly explains every step of the process and his reasons behind his decisions for our treatment. He also doesn’t sugarcoat anything, which is appreciated.
Do as much research as possible and learn the lingo. There is a lot of new information, it can be overwhelming to try and follow a conversation at first. Be your own advocate and always bring a list of questions.
I did not do Birth Control priming, instead I was put on Estrogen pills twice a day for 10 days before my period. On day 2 of my cycle I started Gonal-F and Low Dose HCG. My first cycle started with 325 of Gonal-F and 20 of Low Dose HCG, Cetrotide was added around day 9 to slow the growth of the leading follicles. I stimmed for 13 days total. They retrieved 19 follicles, 15 were mature, 6 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5 and one was transferred. The other embryo stopped growing later on day 5. I didn’t get pregnant from this round. Round 2 used the same medications, but upped the dosages to get larger follicles. My starting doses were 450 of Gonal-F and 40 of Low Dose HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meghan)
Meghan was our primary nurse and Stephanie was our nurse about 30% of the time. They both were great. The office has a policy to return all phone calls if they are left before 4pm, and I loved that.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only negative I have with Boston IVF is the lack of direct communication with Dr Berger. We have done 2 IVF cycles and have only talked with Dr. Berger 3 times. All other appointments and communication have been with Ultrasound techs or the nursing team. This hasn’t actually been a problem for us, everyone has been great to work with, but it could be a big negative for some patients.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
The monitoring appointments were fast! I was always done with the ultrasound and blood draw within 20 minutes of arriving at Quincy or Waltham. Also, I live on the Cape, and Boston IVF has an arrangement with a local Ultrasound clinic. I was able to do monitoring Monday-Thursday on the Cape, I had to go to Quincy on Friday’s, and Waltham on Sat & Sun.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
I live in Massachusetts and my insurance covers IVF coverage. So I only had to meet my yearly $2000 deductible, and pay $50 copays for office visits with the Dr. My prescription copays added up to about $300 per cycle. We are electing to do PGS testing on the embryos, costing $3700 for 8 embryos.
Dr. Berger strongly recommend we only transfer one embryo and we agreed.
South Shore

I feel that she [Dr. Luzzo] is very polite and kind. I also feel like this whole industry is in it for money....We had discussed if we could possibly get supplemental insurance but she told my husband and I we don’t have 6 months to wait due to my egg quality/quantity.... I also felt a little rushed in the office going over our diagnostic results. Overall I do like her and she is kind...she busted I get genetically tested for fragile X and the whole genetic testing panel along with my husband. Then from there I will begin medication for egg retrieval depending on payments.
Awesome secretary. Very pleasant to talk to in person and via phone. [Boston IVF] Has never been hard to get an appointment. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The phlebotomist does an outstanding job taking blood- probably the best I’ve had. She is very sweet. The finical advisor is very helpful and has been working to try to fight our insurance company to pay for IVF. Even though they won’t she hasn’t given up. I don’t have anything bad to say about the clinic itself.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
I feel that she is very polite and kind. I also feel like this whole industry is in it for money. So I have a hard time separating myself from this. Our insurance covers absolutely nothing for IVF. We had discussed if we could possibly get supplemental insurance but she told my husband and I we don’t have 6 months to wait due to my egg quality/quantity. So where do we come up with all this money?! I’m sure she’s correct but is she just saying this for the money too. I also felt a little rushed in the office going over our diagnostic results. Overall I do like her and she is kind. Just bitter in general over this whole process and not being able to afford it.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Come prepared with any questions you may have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
The whole team that works with Dr.Luzzo is very kind and friendly. I feel like the staff is more personable than the Dr.Luzzo even though she is very nice.
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I have yet gone for egg retrieval trying to figure out where the money is coming from. She busted I get genetically tested for fragile X and the whole genetic testing panel along with my husband. Then from there I will begin medication for egg retrieval depending on payments.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staffs been great and very compassionate. Only had one nurse via phone tell me I could have been having multiple miscarriages because I breast fed my child once every 24 hours. Which was no accurate at all and she should have never said that. Otherwise everyone has been pleasant and calls me back the same day with any questions or concerns I have.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Awesome secretary. Very pleasant to talk to in person and via phone. Has never been hard to get an appointment. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The phlebotomist does an outstanding job taking blood- probably the best I’ve had. She is very sweet. The finical advisor is very helpful and has been working to try to fight our insurance company to pay for IVF. Even though they won’t she hasn’t given up. I don’t have anything bad to say about the clinic itself. Oh wait besides the parking lot haha -the spaces are so tiny it can be difficult to park or back up.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Egg retrieval $12,000 PGS testing 3/4 eggs $3,800.medications thousands. and transfer $7-$8 thousand and the dethawing of embryo after pgs testing $1,000-$1,200. If need another egg retrieval it would be $12,000 again. So one round of IVF with fertilized egg and pgs testing $25,000. If needing more than one egg retrieval add $13,000 more into that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Went to redo my FSH and AMH levels and they forgot to order my AMH levels so I had to go back the next day. Which is a 45 minute drive for me.
North Dartmouth

2016 - 2019, Successful
We had a great experience with Dr Brian Berger. After our first cycle was not successful in a couple of ways, he adjusted our treatment for the second cycle. That second cycle gave us our baby girl. We are going back to him for a sibling cycle. The biggest roadblock right now is trying to get his time to write us letters of appeal for insurance (which may not be a fault of his but supporting staff not helping to get it in queue).
I had a mixed experience with the nurses [BostonIVF]. One nurse I felt would rush me through everything from paperwork to questions to talking me through progress throughout the cycle. I do not recall her name. While other nurses were so very nurturing and wouldn't mind if I called for updates to make me feel better. I think there is an opportunity for the staff to be more patient / customer focused. The office is so busy and has become so popular
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Make sure to ask any and all questions. Read up and be knowledgeable so you can advocate for yourself. This is with him or any other doctor!
Dr. Brian Berger took the time to speak to us about our case. He took the time to understand who we are as individuals and as a couple. He took the time to learn our story.
My first cycle was included estrace, crinone, follistim, low hcg, cetrotide and ovridel. It yielded 17 eggs, 5 matured, 2 fertilized, 1 became a day 3 embryo transfer. This ended in a chemical pregnancy. Round 2 had the same drugs except we did a step-down protcol in order to yield more mature eggs. Round 2 resulted in 16 eggs, 10 mature, 2 fertilized, 1 day 3 embryo. This resulted in a healthy baby girl!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I had a mixed experience with the nurses. One nurse I felt would rush me through everything from paperwork to questions to talking me through progress throughout the cycle. I do not recall her name. While other nurses were so very nurturing and wouldn't mind if I called for updates to make me feel better. I think there is an opportunity for the staff to be more patient / customer focused. The office is so busy and has become so popular that they sometimes forget.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths = results, statistics (top clinic in the area) Weaknesses = putting patients first, not nurturing as should be, communication is terrible, really hard to get a hold of sometimes, constant phone tag, takes forever to get an appointment with a doctor and sometimes it is only over the phone and not in person.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Our health insurance had lifetime maxes. We were able to cover treatment, minus deductibles, but had out of pocket expenses for medication. I'd say out of pocket a cycle typically costs $20K, that is with ICSI.
Dr Brian Berger was open to multiple embryo transfer, as he understands why patients would want to go that route. He just wanted to ensure his patients understood risks and to make sure they were comfortable with the outcomes that could occur.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I'm currently trying to get Dr Brian Berger to write appeal letters for both my and my husband's employer health insurance. It's taken over a month of asking and I still do not have an answer of when he can provide them to us.
South Shore

2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
[Dr. Ryley] was great to work with, very thorough and very honest. He tried to make a little too much small talk for my husband's liking, but I found him very calming and very professional. When our first round of eggs from our egg retrieval turned out to be abnormal he was very sympathetic, he asked if we wanted to move on and didn't pressure us to do another round of IVF and egg retrieval. He did explain what they would do differently to help us get a better outcome.
I was diagnosed with cancer and told to speak to someone at Boston IVF to help preserve my fertility and give my husband and me the best chance to have a baby after treatment. Dr Ryley's office fit me in so quickly and were so helpful in this process....It's a very big operation with multiple offices, which is great because you can go to the one closest to your home for early morning ultrasounds, but if you need a weekend appointment you can only go to one specific clinic in Waltham, MA.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
He was great to work with, very thorough and very honest. He tried to make a little too much small talk for my husband's liking, but I found him very calming and very professional. When our first round of eggs from our egg retrieval turned out to be abnormal he was very sympathetic, he asked if we wanted to move on and didn't pressure us to do another round of IVF and egg retrieval. He did explain what they would do differently to help us get a better outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I would tell a prospective patient that he will give you a lot of information. Lots of statistics, probabilities, timelines etc.. If you're not someone who likes a lot of data it can be overwhelming, but its also important to know what the process looks like and what the chances are.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I was diagnosed with cancer and told to speak to someone at Boston IVF to help preserve my fertility and give my husband and me the best chance to have a baby after treatment. Dr Ryley's office fit me in so quickly and were so helpful in this process. Within a few weeks we were applying to oncofertility programs to receive reduced cost medications and undergoing IVF. After our first round of egg retrieval all of our eggs were abnormal, and Dr. Ryley was so nice and comforting about it. It made em feel like he cared about our journey as people and not just numbers and success for Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi Atherton)
Heidi was an amazing nurse to work with. So generous with her time and always available for questions. I cam to the office on the first day of shots and she sat with me while we went over the steps and as I mimed multiple times how to go through the process. she also made herself available to FaceTime with me that evening so she could watch what I was doing and offer assistance and answer questions. She seemed to put in a lot of time working with me to find oncofertility programs that would allow us to receive free or reduced cost medications.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's a very big operation with multiple offices, which is great because you can go to the one closest to your home for early morning ultrasounds, but if you need a weekend appointment you can only go to one specific clinic in Waltham, MA. And with the main office being in Boston parking can get really expensive, it costs $4-$7 to park at one location, and if they're running behind it can be even more. Though every office has a coffee machine - a small perk so you can spend your morning coffee money on parking and get free coffee in the office. Because of my cancer diagnosis they worked really hard to get me in quickly so that we could start right away, I believe I called on a Friday and saw the doctor the next Wednesday.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Because of my cancer diagnosis a lot of our treatment was covered by insurance or medication grants. Most of our routine payments were copays, or partially covered by insurance. We did opt for two items not covered by insurance: the ICSI procedure (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection -$2,500) and the PGTA (preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy - approximately $3,900 - final price dependent on the number of eggs retrieved).
Boston

I see Dr. Berger as a remote patient--he is in Boston and I live in NY. I went to him for a second opinion after positive referrals, and liked him so much we stayed with his office despite the difficulty of added coordination being in separate cities....I have a very low AMH and low medication response. The most recent cycle and the one that yielded the most success (12 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized, 3 PGS normal, 2 transferred thus far, 0 implanted), consisted of: estrogen patch priming protocol, stim Gonal F
Boston IVF is a very well-run facility. They are flexible with remote patients, helping to coordinate outside monitoring, etc. The staff is compassionate and helpful. Like any large clinic you will be seen by a number of different doctors for retrieval and transfer if doing IVF....The nursing team was very responsive and kind. There are a few different nurses working with Dr. Berger and I can usually get the answers I'm seeking. They also allow email communication, which is extremely helpful
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I see Dr. Berger as a remote patient--he is in Boston and I live in NY. I went to him for a second opinion after positive referrals, and liked him so much we stayed with his office despite the difficulty of added coordination being in separate cities. We have not had success yet, but we have had more positive progress than we had at Weill Cornell, and better understand the course of treatment and possibilities for us. He is more willing to change protocols than my previous doctor, trying for the optimal response given my low AMH.
Ask about changes in protocols if you are unsatisfied--he is very willing to discuss.
Dr. Berger is very patient and considerate. He is empathetic. While most of our calls open with him saying I wish we were discussing better news, it feels genuine each time. You can tell he is very committed to his patients.
I have a very low AMH and low medication response. The most recent cycle and the one that yielded the most success (12 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized, 3 PGS normal, 2 transferred thus far, 0 implanted), consisted of: estrogen patch priming protocol, stim Gonal F (600 for 6 days, 450 2 days, 375 2 days), 50 low dose HCG (10 days), cetrotide (4 days).
The nursing team was very responsive and kind. There are a few different nurses working with Dr. Berger and I can usually get the answers I'm seeking. They also allow email communication, which is extremely helpful especially when traveling and unable to call during working hours. During active treatment cycles, there seems to be a trend in the time of callbacks with "news" - early calls are positive calls, the bad news comes late in the day. That may not be the case, but it usually pans out.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a very well-run facility. They are flexible with remote patients, helping to coordinate outside monitoring, etc. The staff is compassionate and helpful. Like any large clinic you will be seen by a number of different doctors for retrieval and transfer if doing IVF. Some have greater success than others when doing retrieval (as is likely common with all procedures). Comparatively, being at Weill Cornell in NYC for 3 years prior where I felt very much like a number vs a patient, and had a hard time communicating with my doctor, Boston IVF was welcome change and despite not having any success yet still feels like a step in a more positive direction.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
I was seen for monitoring at a clinic in NYC, Columbia Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
IVF Egg Retrieval/Freeze/ PGS= $7,750 + $3,900 (freeze) then $4,000 for future transfer (plus meds) Donor Egg is $12,000 plus medication and donor agency fee’s if you are using an agency ($7K to 15k could be more)
I don't think we spent enough time on the pros/cons of single vs multiple. The thinking initially was that because they were PGS normal, implantation was more likely, so if transferring 2 you should really want twins.

2019, 8 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Ryley] was decent to me pre-opp but post-off was a bit rushed and rude. When I asked if he was going to freeze any immature eggs, rather than just say yes, he irratablity stated "You didn't go over that with your doctor?" He hadn't remembered our pre-surgery discussion either. Didn't seem to care. When I asked a simple question about how many mature follicles I ended up having going in, he dismissed me and said he didn't count them.
[Boston IVF] Locations are everywhere so it can be convenient. However, the only location open on the weekends is in Waltham, so if you need to go on a weekend, you have to drive there. Has a bit of a factory feel to it, but I was satisfied. Loved the option for acupuncture. All of the women I interacted with were great...The nurses at Boston IVF are excellent...you cannot control the doctor that does your retrieval, only the one that makes your plan. Overall happy with Boston IVF, just not the retreival experience.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
As stated, I don't question his ability in the OR or necessarily his medical decisions. But his bedside manner (poor) makes a huge difference in patient satisfaction. I would not want him doing an egg retrieval on me again.
I'm not his patient, he just did my retrieval. I won't have to see him again.
Overheard him being rude to a young woman near me who had eggs retrieved. Spoke to the nurse near her and said "I already told her." The patient (post-opp) who had not been addressed by name had to state that if he had told her, then she had forgotten. It seems reasonable to have to ask for this info twice (and get an answer kindly delivered) if you are coming out anesthesia. He was decent to me pre-opp but post-off was a bit rushed and rude. When I asked if he was going to freeze any immature eggs, rather than just say yes, he irratablity stated "You didn't go over that with your doctor?" He hadn't remembered our pre-surgery discussion either. Didn't seem to care. When I asked a simple question about how many mature follicles I ended up having going in, he dismissed me and said he didn't count them. I was told several times all of my eggs would be frozen right away - then later that day was told only some of them were frozen. The nurses at Boston IVF are excellent and I like my actuall doctor...but the man who did my retrieval needs a little more patience and improved bedside manner. The way you are spoken to during and after surgery can make all of the difference in the world. Unforuntaly, at Boston IVF, you cannot control the doctor that does your retrieval, only the one that makes your plan. Overall happy with Boston IVF, just not the retreival experience.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Primary Nurse )
The nurse I had a day of egg retrieval was phenomenal. She wasn't super knowledgeable about the egg freezing process but did her job as a surgical nurse very well. She was very kind. Very patient. I highly recommend Darlene (although the surgical nurse isn't something you can control). My doctor who coordinated care had a nurse who also always called me back the same day I left a voicemail. Brynna. My only wish is that were were able to communicate throgh messaging as well.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Again, I'm not his patient. He just did the retrieval. Costs were about $12K
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Most of the clinical was wonderful. No one called me back about my genetic testing results for a very long time, so I had to call and find out. Overall it was a fine experience. I just didn't like the Dr. who did my retrieval and how you can have no control whatsoever who the Dr. who does your retrieval will be. It also takes a long time to get a follow up after retrieval to go over results (a couple weeks or so)
Waltham

I started ivf at 40, at no point has Dr Murphy ever made me feel like having a baby is an unattainable goal for me. She is smart, well respected and one of the most genuine and compassionate docs I have ever had. I couldn’t imagine going through this with any other doc by my side...My biggest issue is a lack of mature eggs. Dr Murphy switched up my trigger to a double after my first retrieval only resulted in 2 mature eggs despite having 10 measurable follicles. The double (lupron and HCG) have definitely improved my outcomes.
Amy [nurse at Boston IVF] has been wonderful. I always feel like I’m talking to an extension of Dr Murphy when I talk to her. She returns my calls quickly and always has an answer ready for any of my questions...Many people say Boston IVF is like a “factory.” My experience has been the total opposite. I feel so well cared for. Even when I had my miscarriage, I had already been released to an OB but asked if BIVF would do my follow up care and they didn’t hesitate to take me back as a patient immediately despite that not being standard operating procedure. I will never regret my decision to go to this clinic!
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr Murphy is by far one of my favorite doctors. She is compassionate, honest and truly cares about her patients. Every nurse I have seen at varying clinic locations comments on her incredible bedside manner. I started ivf at 40, at no point has Dr Murphy ever made me feel like having a baby is an unattainable goal for me. She is smart, well respected and one of the most genuine and compassionate docs I have ever had. I couldn’t imagine going through this with any other doc by my side.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
She is only in the South Shore office one day a week so appointments can be hard but I have found her main office in Brookline to not be a challenge at all!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy truly cares about her patients. She has celebrated our successes and grieved our failures right along with us.
Describe the protocols Lauren Murphy used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I have been using Menopur, Gonal and Cetrotide. My biggest issue is a lack of mature eggs. Dr Murphy switched up my trigger to a double after my first retrieval only resulted in 2 mature eggs despite having 10 measurable follicles. The double (lupron and HCG) have definitely improved my outcomes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy M)
Amy has been wonderful. I always feel like I’m talking to an extension of Dr Murphy when I talk to her. She returns my calls quickly and always has an answer ready for any of my questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
I have been very fortunate to have good insurance. Just wish I could afford PGS!
Lauren Murphy

2019, Consult
Dr. Pauli was clear, direct and provided us with information that we needed to plan our treatment. Dr. Pauli presented treatment in a clear and straightforward way and was pragmatic about the course of treatment. Dr. Pauli laid out the process clearly and gave us some options. He was open to our preferences and laid out benefits and drawbacks to all potential courses...will take time, but he is also efficient and sees a lot of people. I did not get the feeling he was trying to move us along, but I came with a lot of information already, and my husband wanted to get his head around the process more. He got flustered and didn't remember some questions he had previously. Don't be discouraged that he is not initially the warmest doctor. He was pretty flat, but he is clear, direct and thorough, which at this point I value more than warmth.
Grace [nurse at Boston IVF] greeted us by name and was so kind. She met with us after and seemed willing to go the extra step to get us information we had requested around financing and potential for remote monitoring at an office closer to us, as we are self pay. She explained next steps to us, and was supportive and patient with all of our questions...We have been quoted: 8,450 IVF...The office we were seen at is a transitional space for the clinic. It was an older space within a hospital that has nice ambiance. I initially questioned whether or not we were in the right place because the suite is shared with another service within the hospital. We waited for awhile to be seen and then to meet with the nurse. Everyone was kind, but it does not seem that any department has an idea about the workings of other aspects of the operation. That makes some sense, but was confusing when we had questions about billing as a self-pay client. Everyone is knowledgeable in their area though, and it is easy to find the person you need.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Come to your appointment prepared with any questions. Dr. Pauli will take time, but he is also efficient and sees a lot of people. I did not get the feeling he was trying to move us along, but I came with a lot of information already, and my husband wanted to get his head around the process more. He got flustered and didn't remember some questions he had previously. Don't be discouraged that he is not initially the warmest doctor. He was pretty flat, but he is clear, direct and thorough, which at this point I value more than warmth.
Dr. Pauli took time to meet with us and review the specific of our case. He asked a lot of questions and made recommendations based on our preferences and his experience. He did not rush us through and left room for any questions. He was patient and considerate. He was not overly friendly or warm, but delivered information clearly and thoroughly.
Dr. Pauli mentioned that some of my levels are in the borderline range, and he might aim for a more aggressive protocol for stimulation. I am not yet sure what this means i terms of medication dosages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Grace)
Grace greeted us by name and was so kind. She met with us after and seemed willing to go the extra step to get us information we had requested around financing and potential for remote monitoring at an office closer to us, as we are self pay. She explained next steps to us, and was supportive and patient with all of our questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
We have been quoted: 8,450 IVF 4400 Frozen transfer 3700 Pre-implantation genetic testing 1200 ISCI upward of 5k meds
Dr. Pauli was cautiously open to multiple embryo transfer when my husband asked, but standard us eSet and he saw no reason to deviate given our health history and age. He would potentially consider based on quality of embryos.
Gloucester

I liked [Dr. David Ryley] but hated BostonIVF and because of a lot of errors. Each time Dr Ryley apologized for theses errors and told me that he couldn’t be with me each step of the way because of patient volume. He is a nice person but he is practicing in the wrong place... had a great bedside manner but BostonIVF is a large organization that doesn’t make patient individual care a priority. You see so many doctors and PAs that aren’t your direct care provider and it makes the process extremely hard and stressful to manage.
we found out they [Boston IVF] accidentally billed the wrong insurance and are refusing to take ownership and are trying to charge us over $15,000 for IVF and transfer when I had 2 insurances!!!! They do not document well and each department makes mistakes they cover up!...They do not internally communicate well and documentation is a problem...We had an early miscarriage and when we went for follow up, they found they had “lost” the other embryo in thaw. I was shocked and so upset they didn’t tell me and took the opportunity to discuss what we should have done during transfer.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I liked Dr Ryley but hated BostonIVF and because of a lot of errors. Each time Dr Ryley apologized for theses errors and told me that he couldn’t be with me each step of the way because of patient volume. He is a nice person but he is practicing in the wrong place.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do research and when things feel wrong or you think things are being handled poorly speak up. I felt I gave them so many times to mend relationships because of errors and felt like I had to stay with the practice but I was wrong! No one knows you like you do and you have to put yourself first! Leave and find a different practice if things aren’t right!!!
Dr Ryley had a great bedside manner but BostonIVF is a large organization that doesn’t make patient individual care a priority. You see so many doctors and PAs that aren’t your direct care provider and it makes the process extremely hard and stressful to manage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Heidi up front didn’t like me because I was a nurse and had very specific questions. I felt she would speak to me very poorly, not return my calls at times or call me right before leaving so if I missed her call I wouldn’t speak to her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They appeared from the outside that they were this amazing world class facility and I went to them because I thought I would be cared for. They do not internally communicate well and documentation is a problem.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There were multiple small errors that occurred during my time at BostonIVF but always seemed to catch them before being a problem myself. We did a FET has 2 PGS embryos. We were told on the day of transfer everything was perfect. We had struggled to develop a thick lining but my doctor stated because we would do a single transfer we could go ahead. We placed our embryo and knew we had one left frozen. We had an early miscarriage and when we went for follow up, they found they had “lost” the other embryo in thaw. I was shocked and so upset they didn’t tell me and took the opportunity to discuss what we should have done during transfer. They also couldn’t give me specifics about what happened that day and had no documentation. We left the practice after that. Then we found out they accidentally billed the wrong insurance and are refusing to take ownership and are trying to charge us over $15,000 for IVF and transfer when I had 2 insurances!!!! They do not document well and each department makes mistakes they cover up!
Boston
[Dr. Luzzo was] Somewhat clinical in demeanor but very competent and trustworthy. She listened to my questions and took my feedback into consideration when planning treatment. We did not see her very often, though - just the initial consultation, and right before our IVF cycle...Antagonist protocol using gonal f, menopur, and cetrotide. Stimmed for 10 days. Retrieval of 35 eggs - 31 mature, 20 fertilized with ICSI, 10 embryos frozen, 1 fresh embryo transferred, resulting in a singleton pregnancy.
Strengths [at Boston IVF] - Very large - lots of patients, practitioners, data and coordinated use of evidence based practices. Sometimes can feel like a factory, but a successful one that will give you a baby at the end. Weaknesses - All major procedures have to take place in Waltham, MA which was a 2-3 hour trip for us. All communication seems to take place via telephone which can be frustrating to manage while at work.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Prepare any questions that you have ahead of time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Always returned my calls with the information I needed, once I was in treatment. When not in an active treatment cycle, I did feel as though I was a lower priority (which makes sense) and had to follow up multiple times on some things.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths - Very large - lots of patients, practitioners, data and coordinated use of evidence based practices. Sometimes can feel like a factory, but a successful one that will give you a baby at the end. Weaknesses - All major procedures have to take place in Waltham, MA which was a 2-3 hour trip for us. All communication seems to take place via telephone which can be frustrating to manage while at work.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
With the exception of a few long back-ups, I was usually able to get in and out within 30 minutes early in the morning before work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Unsure - billed directly to insurance.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Single embryo transfer seems to be the policy unless there is a compelling reason otherwise. We were educated (and dissuaded) on multiple embryo transfer.
Providence
Dr. Luzzo is very straightforward. She doesn’t push one treatment over the other but rather gives pros and cons for each and lets the patient make the decisions. ... She is very business-like in her explanations. ... Not very warm and fuzzy but she knows her stuff. ... Very neutral with her opinions. ... We have done 3 rounds of IUI. First round we went in for baseline ultrasound and labs on cycle day 3.
My biggest concerns for this clinic [Boston IVF] is the billing/insurance department. ... she never even submitted my the authorization request to my insurance. I called Every day that week and it wasn’t submitted until Thursday. ... I was Unable to start ivf like planned. ... we now have to spend close to a $1000 to freeze sperm. This could have been completely avoided if this women did her job.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Luzzo is very straightforward. She doesn’t push one treatment over the other but rather gives pros and cons for each and lets the patient make the decisions. Not very warm and fuzzy but she knows her stuff.
Ask lots of questions. Advocate for yourself.
She is very business-like in her explanations. Very neutral with her opinions.
We have done 3 rounds of IUI. First round we went in for baseline ultrasound and labs on cycle day 3. For the call that afternoon to start 50mg of clomid every night for 5 nights. Cycle day 10 went in for monitoring and labs. Nurse called later that day and informed me of follicle sizes and scheduled another monitoring appointment the next morning. Had more monitoring and the nurse called again later that night to clear ya to trigger with Ovidrel. We only had one mature follicle. Our IUI was scheduled 36 hours after that. 2 days after IUI I started on progesterone suppositories twice a day. This cycle failed. Second cycle was the same as the first except they increased the clomid to 100mg instead. One mature follicle again, progesterone twice a day after IUI and another failed cycle. This cycle we started Gonal-F injections 75iu at night from cycle day 3-9 in hopes to mature more eggs. Monitoring from cycle day 7-10 and then got the clear to trigger on cycle day 10 with Ovidrel. I’m in the waiting room for IUI as I type this so nonresuots yet. I will Start progesterone twice a day in two days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Margie and Wendy)
Margie is wonderful. She is very compassionate and understanding. Wendy however, has been rude, and cold.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The lab tech Crystal, ultrasound techs especially Heidi, and office women- Joanna and Taylor are absolutely wonderful. They are friendly, caring and very reassuring. They make the office run so smoothly and truly care about their patients. The insurance/billing lady is HORRENDOUS. Mistakes were made on her behalf which completely derailed my IVF chance. I called numerous times asking for explanations and she BLAMED ME for things going wrong. She is a horrible communicator, and overall terrible at her job.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
$40 copays for Dr. Luzzo and IUI. Everything else has been covered by insurance except medications that have cost between $250-$300/cycle.
Haven’t had a transfer yet
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My biggest concerns for this clinic is the billing/insurance department. I was Suppose to start ivf this cycle after two failed IUI’s. I went For my consult, signed all consents a month in advance and was told next cycle we would start and it would be no problem. Two weeks before my cycle I called asking for an update on my ivf approval. Lady told me She didn’t have it yet but would have it Monday. Monday rolls around and not only has the billing lady been out since last THURSDAY, she never even submitted my the authorization request to my insurance. I called Every day that week and it wasn’t submitted until Thursday. My period was due Friday. Needless to say I was Unable to start ivf like planned. This may not be a big deal, but my Husband is leaving the country and will be in an area of Zika risk. Since we were not able to get an egg retrieval in before he left, we now have to spend close to a $1000 to freeze sperm. This could have been completely avoided if this women did her job.
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
With PGS, [Dr. Samuel Pauli] advised to transfer 1 only. Without PGS, then we were advised to transfer 2...He is a very sweet man, but also analytical and technical as a doctor. He is a professional and all business while maintaining a very human demeanor...will tweak protocols when something doesn't work. He was always very kind and easy to talk to, and I am sad that things didn't work out. Towards the end of my time I felt like he was almost too kind and would say what he thought I wanted to hear rather than what I needed to hear.
We got along amazingly well [with the nurses at Boston IVF]. I also would get my bloodwork and ultrasounds done at a local satellite clinic and I got along spectacularly well with the phlebotomists and sonographers there after seeing them for years...If you go early [for monitoring], then you'd be fine. Mostly people didn't show up at their designated times, so it was generally first come first serve. The satellite clinic I went to was amazing and they loved seeing me so much.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He really wants to have his patients succeed, and he is very modest and will tweak protocols when something doesn't work. He was always very kind and easy to talk to, and I am sad that things didn't work out. Towards the end of my time I felt like he was almost too kind and would say what he thought I wanted to hear rather than what I needed to hear.
If you are under 35 and have no history of recurrent pregnancy loss, than you should do just fine with him. More advanced cases with older patients and recurrent pregnancy losses may need to look elsewhere.
Round 1: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl Trigger 8 eggs, all mature and fertilized. 1 fresh transfer "worked," miscarriage at 11 weeks. Karyotype revealed a normal pregnancy and unexplained loss. 2 remaining untested frozen embryos. 1st negative pregnancy test, 2nd "worked," miscarriage at 8 weeks due to triploidy. Round 2: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl Trigger Added PGS. 7 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 abnormal blast. Round 3: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl/Lupron Double Trigger Added PGS. 10 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 abnormal blast. Round 4: Lupron Flare with Lupron and Gonal F only, Pregnyl Trigger Added PGS. 11 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 PGS normal blast. Miscarriage at 6ish weeks with low beta and slow heartrate. Was found to be an abnormal blast after karyotype testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki P and Nikki F)
We got along amazingly well. I also would get my bloodwork and ultrasounds done at a local satellite clinic and I got along spectacularly well with the phlebotomists and sonographers there after seeing them for years. Unfortunately, my primary nursing team was moved to another location closer to me, and I did not like the team there, which further contributed to my leaving after the third miscarriage.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: So many different doctors and locations to choose from, you just gotta move around and see who may be the perfect fit for you. There is also a MInd-Body center on site where the surgical unit is so you can have counseling or acupuncture if you wish. Weakness: Very standard, conventional practices, doesn't always tailor the protocol to your needs well, and could have benefitted from further tests.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
If you go early, then you'd be fine. Mostly people didn't show up at their designated times, so it was generally first come first serve. The satellite clinic I went to was amazing and they loved seeing me so much.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Luckily, we have health insurance, so our rounds were completely covered. Medications had to be paid for though, but they only made out to be in the $200 range tops.
With PGS, it was advised to transfer 1 only. Without PGS, then we were advised to transfer 2.
Lexington
Kind, explained all my questions, spoke in a really respectful way, encouraged us and gave us hope... Very kind and intelligent, the only bad things were that he [Dr. Bayer] seemed so confident in having a positive outcome and when we didn’t I felt like he didn’t dig into why and just chalked it up to bad luck and didn’t really change cycle protocol... He would have been fine with putting in two embryos if we had wanted.
It [Boston IVF] has too many people, patients doctors don’t always do physical transfer etc., their billing department is confusing, disorganized and not helpful. However, they have a lot of doctors so you can find a right for, they have easy to get to locations and they have ALL types of programs so it’s like one stop shopping for fertility.... One of our embryos did not thaw out and they told me 30 seconds before transfer. Also, they would not let my husband in the room, even though they knew it was surrogacy pregnancy.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Very kind and intelligent, the only bad things were that he seemed so confident in having a positive outcome and when we didn’t I felt like he didn’t dig into why and just chalked it up to bad luck and didn’t really change cycle protocol
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Be prepared not to have contact and commiicafon with him-it all had to be filtered through nurses and he won’t mecessaily do your egg retrieval or transfer
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
But on regular ivf cycle-regular protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda )
The nurse was VERY prompt in giving results and answering questions. He manner or tone was sometimes a bit cold, but I just think she was like that because she wanted everything to be really clear (which it was.)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It has too many people, patients doctors don’t always do physical transfer etc., their billing department is confusing, disorganized and not helpful. However, they have a lot of doctors so you can find a right for, they have easy to get to locations and they have ALL types of programs so it’s like one stop shopping for fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
We spent over 90k on all treatments there and on our gestational carrier.
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He would have been fine with putting in two embryos if we had wanted.
Steven Bayer
Boston

Strengths: unintimidating, kind, very knowledgeable, able to explain things to a non-medical person in easy terms. Didn’t feel rushed during my appointments, and it is clear that he valued his staff and seemed to have a mutual appreciation and respect for each other. Weaknesses: could be a bit warmer. ... Dr. Alper was warm and remembered details about me. He likely reviewed them right before I entered the room, but I consider that fair. While it is a big operation, it felt no less impersonal than any other doctors I have seen.
It [Boston IVF] is very large and runs like a well oiled machine. To some this could feel impersonal, but I appreciated that everything was so well organized and everything ran on time. It made me feel confident in the clinic. ... Bonnie is Dr. Alper’s Nurse. She is very responsive and friendly. ... He [Dr. Alper] recommended I transfer only one, especially as I had chosen to do PGS. I was fully on board with this strategy
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Take notes or ask him to write down notes for you as you discuss. He made me some great notes and diagrams that helped me to remember everything later
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie)
Bonnie is Dr. Alper’s Nurse. She is very responsive and friendly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It is very large and runs like a well oiled machine. To some this could feel impersonal, but I appreciated that everything was so well organized and everything ran on time. It made me feel confident in the clinic.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He recommended I transfer only one, especially as I had chosen to do PGS. I was fully on board with this strategy
Michael Alper
Waltham

[Nurses at Boston IVF were] Amazing! Super organized and excellent communication and got my prescriptions ordered and things scheduled very efficiently and without mistakes. When I had bleeding she was reassuring. She was genuinely excited for our success...A large operation but very professional and organized...He [Dr. Penzias] didn’t rely exclusively on statistics and he never focused on my age. He believed that we could be successful...He helped us make challenging decisions about which and how many embryos to transfer, whether to freeze or do PGS; He was very thorough and was willing to collaborate with Dr. Braverman (where other REs were not)...It’s worth driving to see him- we drove over an hour and a half to see him and it was completely worth it.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He didn’t rely exclusively on statistics and he never focused on my age. He believed that we could be successful.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Routine protocol for lead in with a estrogen patches.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A large operation but very professional and organized but 8 can only speak to this doctor and nurse. I saw another doctor at their satellite office near me who I had a negative experience with. I would only recommend this doctor (as opposed to the entire clinic).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Thankfully all covered by insurance except for the last transfer-$4K
Waltham

Dr. Ryley made personal connections with both myself and my husband. He remembered non-medical aspects of our lives and we genuinely enjoyed every visit we had with him. He also called to check in personally after big news (good or bad). He once went above and beyond to squeeze me in for a surgery the day he’d be in the OR so I wouldn’t need to wait 4+ weeks until our next cycle. We loved him!
Most monitoring and surgeries were at the Boston IVF clinic in Waltham. No complaints - it is a quiet, clean facility and I always found the staff very nice and helpful. The Boston office (more for consults) is beautiful. Parking downtown can be pricey but worth every penny for the care you receive.... Jess was WONDERFUL! She answered countless calls with patience, compassion, and a genuinely positive attitude.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was warm, compassionate, and understanding. He took the failures and setbacks as hard as we did. He provided both statistics as well as his own experience so we knew the range of things to expect with each step. We always felt like he was on our team, rooting for our success.
You are your own best advocate, but you will feel like you have another fighter on your team with Dr. Ryley.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess)

2018 - 2019, Consult
Dr. Berger is a very genuine and compassionate doctor who loves what he does. He explains all your options and what plan best fits your needs. He makes himself available and answers all of your questions. He does not make you feel like a number. In a world that can feel so alone he was able to finally give me some hope...He is worth the wait for an appointment...Due to the high demand of the clinic and Dr Berger it can be some time before you can get an appointment
[The nurses at Boston IVF are] Very compassionate and thorough. They called to follow up on me after my visit to see if I had anymore questions...Due to the high demand of the clinic and Dr Berger it can be some time before you can get an appointment. The clinic staff is all so kind and not dismissive as some places I have been. Everything is always your choice and if you are not comfortable with anything you are never rushed...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He is worth the wait for an appointment
Adequate time was spent with me and our time did not end until all of Our questions were answered. Our questions by phone were also answered in the same day even after his office hours ended. He was genuinely sorry for the losses and emotional roller coaster we have been through over the last 2 years.
These are still being discussed
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Initial visit was $395 and cost for 5 rounds with the use of my insurance is $12,500 out of pocket
Not yet discussed
South Shore
First cycle [with Dr. Nina Resetkova] I was on 300 Gonal and 150 menopure. Second cycle we added in estradiol and for better results...She called me personally at 7:30 on a Friday night to resolve an issue...She was good, gave all the risks and options. When she called with test results she gave the next step. She personally called me...Only con would be she didn’t mention she was going on maternity leave or who was covering for her.
Insurance covered most of it and the financial coordinator [at Boston IVF- South Shore] was on top of it...Large clinic with several locations. They offer aggressive treatment plans. Nursing is triage if you call the main line and things slip through the cracks, ie. they forgot to order my meds because I called on a weekend. Poor communication within departments. It’s a business, the run as such... [Nurses had] Zero compassion...Organized and good follow up
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She was good, gave all the risks and options. When she called with test results she gave the next step. She personally called me to resolve an issue. Only con would be she didn’t mention she was going on maternity leave or who was covering for her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Be your own advocate
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She called me personally at 7:30 on a Friday night to resolve an issue.
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
First cycle I was on 300 Gonal and 150 menopure. Second cycle we added in estradiol and for better results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Organized and good follow up. Zero compassion.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Ultrasound technicians and blood technicians were always awesome.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered most of it and the financial coordinator was on top of it.
Describe Nina Resetkova's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The nursing line is a triage and things can slip through the cracks. They forgot to order my medication and I had to wait a month to start a cycle.
Nina Resetkova
South Shore

Dr Penzias is very straight forward. He takes the time to thoroughly explain the process and the steps that will be taken. He is very even tempered, but also compassionate. He did not perform any of my actual procedures or transfers, but that wasn't a problem for me...Make sure to schedule your follow-up appointment with him early because his calendar fills up quickly....
It is a large clinic [Boston IVF], so your procedures will likely not be performed by your doctor. This wasn't an important factor for me, but it may be for others. A benefit to being a large clinic, is that there are many locations for monitoring appointments, which was convenient. They are also open 365 days, so they do not shut down for holidays....
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It is a large clinic, so your procedures will likely not be performed by your doctor. This wasn't an important factor for me, but it may be for others. A benefit to being a large clinic, is that there are many locations for monitoring appointments, which was convenient. They are also open 365 days, so they do not shut down for holidays.
I had insurance coverage, so costs were only visit co-pays and co-pays on medications. Less than $1,000.
Boston
She [Dr. Luzzo] explained everything in great detail. She clearly knows her stuff. The amount of information delivered is however overwhelming, making it hard to retain. I also did not feel seen as a person as she seemed emotion-less, which probably had nothing to do with me but has made appointments a bit uncomfortable....She feels quite distant and lethargic. Little warmth. No apparent enthusiasm
Great location [Boston IVF - Providence]. Pleasant set-up. Very friendly front desk staff. Downside: Weekend coverage as well as sperm storage is at a different clinic or in Waltham, MA. Certain procedures are only in Waltham.... Wendy [nurse] seems to know a lot about infertility, IUIs and IVF procedures. She has also felt rather distant and unmotivated.... Regular IUI $450. Monitored IUI: $1050. unsure otherwise
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She explained everything in great detail. She clearly knows her stuff. The amount of information delivered is however overwhelming, making it hard to retain. I also did not feel seen as a person as she seemed emotion-less, which probably had nothing to do with me but has made appointments a bit uncomfortable.
Do not expect warmth
She feels quite distant and lethargic. Little warmth. No apparent enthusiasm
Until now monitored IUI was recommended. Moving forward IVF is recommended due to unexplained infertility
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy seems to know a lot about infertility, IUIs and IVF procedures. She has also felt rather distant and unmotivated.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Great location. Pleasant set-up. Very friendly front desk staff. Downside: Weekend coverage as well as sperm storage is at a different clinic or in Waltham, MA. Certain procedures are only in Waltham.
Regular IUI $450. Monitored IUI: $1050. unsure otherwise
Providence

Be aware that he [Dr. Samuel Pang] has many patients. Always double check the dosage of medications that you should be taking- especially if it is a medication that could impact the success of implantation...is intelligent, but has far too many patients and cannot spend the time necessary to focus on each patient. I constantly felt like I was a number and did not feel like I got personal care for my case...I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication.
On more than one occasion [nurse at Boston IVF] was accusatory of me. The first time she said I didn't inform her or Dr. Pang about work travel- which I had with both of them. In the next instance she accused me of not taking my medications correctly- which I was; but the medical team never communicated to me that I should have changed my dosage....I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication... is run like a large corporation. They seem to care more about the number of patients than they do about how the patients are treated. I could not help but to feel they wanted to get the most cycles out of me as possible instead of having success early on.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pang is intelligent, but has far too many patients and cannot spend the time necessary to focus on each patient. I constantly felt like I was a number and did not feel like I got personal care for my case.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Be aware that he has many patients. Always double check the dosage of medications that you should be taking- especially if it is a medication that could impact the success of implantation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
After my last failed cycle Dr. Pang's nurse questioned if I was taking the correct dose of Levothyroxin. She told me I was taking the wrong dose; however, upon further inspection she confirmed nobody had told me to change my dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Butters)
On more than one occasion Lisa was accusatory of me. The first time she said I didn't inform her or Dr. Pang about work travel- which I had with both of them. In the next instance she accused me of not taking my medications correctly- which I was; but the medical team never communicated to me that I should have changed my dosage.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
BostonIVF is run like a large corporation. They seem to care more about the number of patients than they do about how the patients are treated. I could not help but to feel they wanted to get the most cycles out of me as possible instead of having success early on.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication. The nurse then accused me of either taking the medication incorrectly or not at the correct dosage. Neither of which was true- I was just never informed about the change in dosage- which the nurse later agreed with me on.
Samuel Pang